Speaker 1: This story contains adult content and language. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Let's see if you can figure this out.
Speaker 1: Section three. I told you it's cold, baby. Okay, so section three, Lot five forty three.
Speaker 2: Wait where are we? We're over here right there. Yeah, we're in the dragway.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna go all the way down one path and then two paths and.
Speaker 2: On the site. It's got to be over here.
Speaker 1: My twelve year old daughter and I are searching for Eugene Bird's gravesite in Austin. It's very, very old, but it's supposed to be pretty big. Let me look across here.
Speaker 2: This is older.
Speaker 1: See if I can find any markers here.
Speaker 3: How's the dad house?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it says there again. Oh babe, there's markers. Be't mare look that.
Speaker 2: Hard the spot.
Speaker 1: The markers are worn from age and weather, so it's almost impossible to read many of them. But we keep trying because oftentimes visiting the gravesites makes me feel the most connected to the people in my stories. Okay, now you start looking for the uh yeah, that's regular headstone. It's around in here somewhere. We'll keep looking. In November of eighteen ninety six, everyone in Austin knew where to find William Eugene Burt. He was downtown in the city's district courthouse, and he was going on trial for murdering his wife and their two little girls. The prosecutor accused Eugene of killing them because he was facing financial ruin and a prison sentence, His defense attorney announced that they would claim that he was insane at the time of the killings. The trial was sensationalized in the press. Local historian Monica Ballard says that the courthouse was packed with people who hoped for just a glimpse of the monster who murdered his family.
Speaker 4: Hundreds of people packed the courtroom in order to see what's going on. He would be marched into the courtroom handcuffed, and his hat would be removed for him.
Speaker 1: Gawkers stared at Eugene. One woman approached him at the defendant's table and surveyed his face very closely. Eugene seemed to either not be aware that she was there or he just ignored her. Either way, he offered no reaction, and then things got even stranger.
Speaker 4: After everybody files in and everyone takes a seat, he would flutter his eyelids closed, and he would remain in that state until everything was done and court was dismissed. He just closed his eyes the whole time, and there would be no indication that he was I don't know under self hypnosis, if he was cognizant of anything that was going on. No one was entirely sure. He seemed to have absolutely no There was nothing going on.
Speaker 1: What was happening with Eugene Burt. When family and friends took the stand, many described Eugene's marriage as seemingly happy. He was a wonderful father, but others called him selfish, unreliable, and unstable. Then his brothers testified for the defense, even though they had accused him of stealing their money.
Speaker 4: Roscoe and Mond, he did the best they could, and even Mini took the stand and testified, you know that she saw no evidence of any reason why he would do this deed. Yeah, there were character witnesses who who came forth and said, no, he was a loving father and husband, was always giving any expensive presence. And then his brothers would have to, you know, under cross examination, admit, yeah, well a lot of times he stole the money for those presents.
Speaker 1: A parade of people from his life walked through that courtroom, all testifying to why a husband and a father would have done this, and throughout it all, Eugene Burt registered not one reaction, even during one dramatic, unplanned incident in the courthouse.
Speaker 4: There was one time when testimony was being given about drawing the bodies from out of the cistern and the state of the condition of the children, in particular about how their hands and feet were bound with wire. The three year old was wearing a nightgown and the toddler was in just a diaper, and someone had brought in a baby into the courtroom. And as this testimony is being given, everyone in the courtroom is being affected, not only by the testimony, but by hearing this baby in the back of the courtroom bah da da dah ba and babbling on. And their hearts are being wrenched because of this. And they turn and they look at Bert to see what his reaction is. Nothing. There's just nothing going on there. And the newspaper says, whose heart could not be moved? His heart.
Speaker 1: Monica says that Eugene's lack of emotion was interpreted in different ways in the media.
Speaker 4: Their opinion vacillated between Oh, he's certainly holding up well under the strain, and how can he be so cold and heartless as to not hold any reaction to the testimony that's being given about him? What a cold blooded killer he must be. There were both ends of the spectrum there.
Speaker 1: We know that a defendant's demeanor and court can really sway a jury. If the suspect doesn't take the stand, jurors might slyly observe them at the defense table, talking with attorneys or a visiting with family members on breaks. That image can affect how a jury votes. So Eugene Bert, who was handsome and young, did himself no favors by appearing so disconnected from the trial. He even seemed to doze every once in a while. But why, Descendant Patricia Charles has a theory could Eugene.
Speaker 5: Have been drugged in any way during these proceedings? Like how could he not have reacted when the little child, you know, was crying or fell or something. And I'm thinking, well, if somebody's given you morphia, maybe it just doesn't matter anymore.
Speaker 1: Patricia brings up a quote from a newspaper article from one of the physicians who examined Eugene a man named doctor Wallace. Doctor Wallace got on the stand during the trial and said, you know, Judge, I haven't been feeling well, so I took a bit of morphine this morning, so hopefully I'm lucid enough to testify. The judge said, sure, no problem at all. I asked forensic psychiatrist doctor Christine Montrose about Eugene Bird's odd reaction in court, his lack of emotion.
Speaker 6: Is there a whole range of reasons that someone could be falling asleep in the courtroom? Sure, morphine could be one, and you know, psychiatric symptoms could be another, and disinterest and lack of remorse could be another. You know, all of those possibilities are probably true.
Speaker 1: So Eugene's apathy and court might have been drug induced, not a lack of remorse, And in the late eighteen hundreds his sedation might have been court ordered. It made me one about modern day defendants. Can they ever be forcibly drugged? Retired law school professor Linda Frost says no, but with some caveats.
Speaker 7: Today, you wouldn't sedate a criminal defendant so that they could get through the trial. That said, there is a lot of law around whether you can force medication so that somebody is competent to stand trial. So it doesn't mean that somebody won't be medicated by the arm of the.
Speaker 4: State in order to go to trial.
Speaker 7: And of course people take medications for all sorts of reasons. People may be medicated, but for the state to force medication there has to be more of a legal justification other than well, he's going to be very stressed out and this will calm him down.
Speaker 1: It could be to control symptoms for mental health conditions.
Speaker 7: It also could be that they are psychotic, and schizophrenia can have active symptoms that were more familiar with the kind of word salad, the acting out. But it also could be a lack of engagement and a lack of emotion, a turning inward. So we don't really know why he would have been that way, whether it was medical, whether it was psychological, or whether it was malintent and a lack of feeling.
Speaker 1: The stakes for this trial were very high for Eugene Burt. If he were found guilty by reason of insanity, his life would be spared and he would be institutionalized if he were found guilty, but saying he would die at the gallows. Eugene's defense team admitted that he had killed Annie and Eleanor and Lucille. Monica Ballard says that his attorneys never tried to accuse anyone else.
Speaker 4: The evidence was so circumstantial that it was him, that it could be no one else.
Speaker 1: That was never brought up, that it could be ever anyone else, no.
Speaker 4: Other suspects, No, and he was never brought up to testify. They thought they could do it without him testifying.
Speaker 1: Because he's probably going to dig himself a bigger hole. So they were smart.
Speaker 4: So their defense was he was insane. He had to have been insane to have done this. If he was indeed a loving father, an adoting husband, he must have suffered from temporary insanity in order to do this, that those were moments of temporary insanity.
Speaker 1: But here's the problem. During Eugene Burt's murder trial, his attorneys never provided any evidence that he was legally insane. They had character witnesses detailing what a good man he was, how he was never violent. They admitted that he was a murderer, but they never clearly stated why he was legally insane. And I think it's because they knew that Eugene Bert wasn't legally insane. Legal insanity was set at a high bar even in the eighteen hundreds. The defendant had to be unable to understand their actions were wrong. According to most legal experts, people who are legally insane don't cover up their crimes because they don't understand that what they've done is a crime on the witness stand. Doctors fumbled around with the term moral insanity in the nineteenth century. Psychiatrists who were called alienists were trying to sort out how someone could be physically sound and mentally sound but they would still do evil things like murder their family. Moral insanity was about as close a label to psychopathy as they could get. But that's different from mental illness. Mental illness can manifest itself in many ways, extreme mood changes, withdrawal, excessive fears or worries. Psychopathy is an antisocial personality disorder. Psychopathy manifestations are much narrower. A lack of ability to love to establish per relationships, as well as extreme egotism. Eugene Burt didn't seem to exhibit any of those characteristics. I asked doctor Christine Montrose to explain a little more about psychopathy. She says, to begin with, let's avoid using the term psychopath.
Speaker 6: We've shifted away from using nouns to describe people. So a person is not a schizophrenic, they're not a sociopath. It's a person who has schizophrenia, you know. It's a person. Just like a person with diabetes. We're not describing any longer as a diabetic. We're describing them as a person with diabetes. So I think sociopath and psychopath are these labels that tend to me to have more of a of an antiquated historical flair.
Speaker 1: Who are we describing?
Speaker 6: These are people who I think the lay person would describe as kind of lacking the moral compass that the rest of us have, not really an awareness of right or wrong, Difficulty feeling concern or empathy toward other people, Frequent kind of self serving behavior, risk taking behavior.
Speaker 1: They don't care about other people.
Speaker 6: I think when someone is not just demonstrating antisocial traits that mean that they're lying and stealing and conning, but instead they're really engaging in kind of sadistic behavior and taking pleasure from someone else's pain.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure that was Eugene Bird's behavior. He planned the murder of his family and then covered it up. It doesn't sound like he took pleasure in it, but who knows. He seemed disconnected during his trial and even after, but he might have been resigned to dying on the gallows. Descendant Jeremy Charles says that the eighteen hundreds must have been a very confusing time for psychiatry and psychology.
Speaker 8: I think a psychologist today would have a field day looking over these trial notes from the physicians of the time and trying to make heads or tails of what Eugene Bird actually was and had he participated in other illicit activities prior to these murders.
Speaker 1: Linda Frost says that many doctors in the eighteen hundreds weren't qualified to determine someone's sanity, and many doctors now aren't either.
Speaker 7: It's also important to think of the role of doctors back.
Speaker 4: In the day.
Speaker 7: They did all sorts of different things, right, Having a medical degree doesn't automatically qualify you to do a forensic assessment. Most doctors today should not be doing forensic assessments now. Under the Texas Code, my gynecologist could do a forensic assessment. Is my gynecologist skilled and qualified to do that? No, but under the code, doctors can do that.
Speaker 1: On December first, eighteen ninety six, after a murder trial that lasted less than two weeks, both sides rested. The all male jury deliberated that night over dinner, women wouldn't be allowed on juries in Texas until nineteen fifty five. The jury discussed the case the next morning over breakfast before casting their ballots. Judge R. E. Brooks read the jury's verdict. They were unanimous.
Speaker 4: He is found guilty and sentenced to hang.
Speaker 1: That might not have been much of a surprise, after all, the defense never offered the jury any alternative suspects, and they seemed to offer little proof of Eugene Burt's insanity. His team immediately pledged to appeal. Everyone in the courthouse turned to Eugene Burt. Reporters noted that he didn't even bat an eye. No reaction, only silence. As Eugene walked back to his jail cell, a reporter asked him about the verdict. Eugene replied, I have nothing to say until the Court of Appeals passes on the appeal that would be made the prisoners in his jail bloc all asked about the verdict, he replied very matter of factly guilty. Eugene seemed lucid, even composed, and he seemed resigned that he would die. If I had seen Eugene Bird's strange courtroom behavior, I'm not sure what I would have thought. But regardless of whether he was sane or not, his lawyers hadn't proven it, so execution was on the table. The debate over whether to execute someone who is mentally ill is centuries old. We know that there are often circumstances where the suspect is predisposed to mental illness, I asked forensic psychiatrist doctor Christine Montrose about that.
Speaker 6: We know that there are mental illnesses that run in family, and we know also that there are, you know, mental illnesses that spontaneously arise for people who have no history of mental illness in their families. And then there are people whose families are riddles with psychiatric disease who emerge psychologically intact.
Speaker 1: What does all that mean?
Speaker 6: Certainly, if your family on both sides has people who suffer from bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or some of the psychiatric illnesses that we know to be more heritable. Would you be at elevated risk compared to someone who didn't have any of that in their family.
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 6: Does that sentence you to the certitude that you are going to also suffer that same fate? No, it really doesn't.
Speaker 1: But Bird's descendant, Julie Norton says that if Birds had been mentally ill, that she's conflicted over his fate.
Speaker 9: When I look at a criminal, I am offended by that person, but I also feel like there is some cause. It had to be something that wasn't just his mother and father, because his two brothers didn't kill anybody. Something caused it. I don't think that's how that kind of thing happens. I don't think that's inherited in families.
Speaker 1: So mental illness isn't enough of a defense for you.
Speaker 9: It is a horrific story. I don't think it's understandable. It's clearly not logical. No logical person would do that.
Speaker 8: So it seems pretty cut and dry, and they have all the evidence that they need. However, the judge that oversees the trial says, wait a second. He kind of puts the brakes on things, and he wants to investigate Eugene Bird's mental capacity.
Speaker 1: By January, Judge Brooks had not yet set an execution date, and then came word that the Governor of Texas was stepping in. Judge Brooks thought that the jury's verdict was just, but he had to respect an order from the governor, and it was an order made after an influential and respected businessman intervened. Eugene's older brother.
Speaker 4: Brother Roscoe, rides to the rescue again. God love him. I mean, after the rabbit, I think I would have written off my relatives.
Speaker 1: I have found that families are much more committed in some ways. In the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 4: Brother Roscoe put to a request for a stay of execution and it is signed by Governor Culbertson that you can't execute William Eugene Bert because he is now insane. The trial drove him insane, and it would be heartless to execute an insane person. He belongs in an institution.
Speaker 1: What was all the evidence from the end of the trial until they were making this admission.
Speaker 4: It was the fact that during his trial he showed no emotion, and that he was constantly observed in his cell even after his sentencing to show no cognizance that his life was about to end. There was no sense of desperation or anything like that. They just didn't understand how anybody could be facing this and not have it drive them mad.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what happens.
Speaker 4: He's given another trial in January of eighteen ninety seven.
Speaker 1: But all of this was because of Roscoe, not Eugene.
Speaker 4: Eugene didn't want this second trial. He wanted to hang, and so when Roscoe came through and said, oh no, no, no, he's insane, you can't kill him. They reported on his reaction, the newspaper said, over in a cell, Bert displayed little or no excitement.
Speaker 1: Perhaps Roscoe felt badly. Roscoe and Monty were the ones who accused Eugene of stealing from them. He was going to be arrested and likely convicted. That might have been a trigger for the murders. Or maybe Roscoe really did believe that his brother suffered from insanity. Eugene Burt was now back in an Austin, Texas courtroom, and he didn't really want to be there. He wanted to be done with all of this. He was ready to be hanged. Unlike his first trial, this time the courtroom discussion was focused squarely on Eugene's mental condition.
Speaker 4: There were a parade of physicians, psychologists as they were during the day, people who worked for the mental institution, who had the most exposure to knowing what an insane person looks like.
Speaker 1: Only the trial ended, the jury retired behind closed doors.
Speaker 4: Everybody testified and everybody had their say, and at the end of it there was a hung jury.
Speaker 1: The jury couldn't reach a verdict. No one could seem to determine if Eugene had been truly insane, and the state wouldn't execute an insane man. So there was a stalemate. What would happen to Eugene Bert Eugene reacted like he always had. He had no reaction, Monica reads a newspaper article from eighteen ninety seven.
Speaker 4: If he was uneasy about the coming of today or the uncertainty of his existence, he did not manifest it in the least. He talked to Jaylor Hughes quite freely yesterday and evidenced no apparent interest in the outcome of the fight to save his life. So the second trial did not have the whole historyonics or alex attainment that the first trial did.
Speaker 1: And now there was a third trial, and this one was much more interesting than the last. The defense brought up Eugene's traumatic birth. Remember, his father reported that his wife Cleo, had some psychotic episodes during her pregnancy and she had to be restrained during Eugene's birth. The defense said, perhaps that caused his insanity. Doctor Christine Montrose helps me wrap my head around that. Can your actions later in life be connected to what happens in the womb?
Speaker 6: I don't know that we know the answer to that question, Kate. I mean, is it possible that if someone sustained physical trauma during birth or neurologic trauma during birth, that that could then affect their ability to self regulate? That I think we could say with more confidence. But in terms of like the psychological experience of having gone through a traumatic birth as a neonate, I don't have any idea about that. I feel like a stretch of defense.
Speaker 1: To me, it sounds like we can rule out to birth trauma as a cause for Eugene's violence later in life.
Speaker 4: And so the third trial came along. One thing that was really bugging me about about the trial was that the last medical expert to testify was doctor J. W. McLaughlin, and he was a Bert's family physician and doctor McLaughlin had been listed as a witness for the defense, but was absent from the city at the time the defense made its case.
Speaker 1: Doctor McLaughlin offered testimony that was confusing to everyone. I think even he was confused because he constantly contradicted himself.
Speaker 4: McLaughlin determined that Bert was morally insane, but then on cross examination, the state quite simply asked McLaughlin if he had ever noticed insanity in Burt, to which McLaughlin replied that no, he had never observed that, and then, on a redirect the day said his opinion of a man who had murdered his wife and children entirely without motive, what do you think of that man? And McLaughlin said, well, that man would be insane. What So, in other words, anytime someone was asked, is this man insane? If they knew him, they would say, no, that man is not insane, But asked about the situation disconnecting from the person that they knew, they would agree, yes, that man is totally insane. So it was the familiarity with Burt that made everybody just as confused as when it starts.
Speaker 1: So this comes back to the mystery surrounding Eugene Burt. He seemed so normal, with the exception of a few outbursts here and there over the years, and of course the thieving and the fraud, but he was normally composed. He seemed like a loving father and husband. How could this happen?
Speaker 4: What you saw in the courtroom is what he still is often aloof personal times, serene, a little creepy, but sane. There was no wild behavior. There were no fits of weeping or fear, no pleading for his life.
Speaker 1: The jurors returned and another hung jury. Once again, a panel of men couldn't decide if Eugene Burt should die because he was cold hearted, or if he should live in an institution because he was legally insane. Jeremy Charles says Eugene might not have been legally insane, but he does think that Eugene was mentally ill.
Speaker 8: One of the things that sticks out to me is that at the trial in eighteen ninety eight, to determine his moral sanity, he writes a letter. I don't think it's in his own defense. It's so bizarre. He's almost speaking about himself in the third person. This, I think goes to his mental state at the time.
Speaker 1: In one of those letters, eugene Bert wrote, Great God be thanked the hellish brute that took me the sweets of my life, that snapped the human chords of my heart, that took from me and sent to heaven, my loved ones. We'll never see the fulfillment of the ends of lawful justice. How happy to lay and dream to hear the howls and shrieks and screams of his tortured soul. The jury read copies of the letters. Did eugene Bert's writing convince jurors that he was legally insane? There was yet another trial, and this time the jurors finally agreed on a verdict. Eugene Bert was deemed sane. It was finally over, and eugene seemed pleased. He was sentenced to hang on May twenty seventh, eighteen ninety eight, almost two years after he killed his family. But his brothers appealed to the courts one last time.
Speaker 4: And on May twenty third, another appeal was made, but the governor was like, no, no, no, this man wants to die, so let him.
Speaker 1: The appeal was rejected, he would die on May twenty seventh. There was no saving him.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Former federal investigator Fred Burton believes that Eugene Bert was rightly convicted. He doesn't believe that someone who is legally insane can methodically premeditate a crime like Eugene clearly did. Whether he would be rightly executed is another story for a different season.
Speaker 10: At what point did they quote unquote snap, how do they go about and functioning in a very complex kind of murder? I would argue that they don't. Now, you could say that that person is not functioning in a normal kind of space like the average person is. But that person was very methodical and very detail and certainly knows right from wrong by the efforts to cover up that crime.
Speaker 1: Regardless, Eugene Bert had always maintained his innocence.
Speaker 4: The night before his execution, Bert spent all night writing, and he apparently disliked what he wrote because he tore a lot of it up. And then he dozed in a chair with his feet up on a table, which apparently was his habit rather than lying in a bed, And then after a hearty breakfast, he said he was really hungry. He wrote his last public statement in which he claimed to have killed those who murdered his family. Yeah, he said, the man who killed my family, I took care of him a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Why do you think he did that? Do you think that's real or do you think that was just a front?
Speaker 4: I think in his mind it was real. If he had some sort of dissociative condition, he made that disconnect, maybe even on the train, maybe when he saw missus driscoll and decided in his mind he killed off that part of him who did that deed. As for what awaited him, he wrote, I'm prepared to accept the situation with as little complaining as possible, face the new foe, and have my banner of satisfaction unfurled to the breeze until it and I sink into everlasting oblivion. Had some Victorian writing right there, flowery, flowery language.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 8: I think he's in a way admitting to his body committing the crimes. But it wasn't his soul or his mentality that was committing the crimes. And that part of him has already been punished by some supernatural force, God or whatever you want to think about it. And so that's an interesting admission on his part to speak of it in that way, basically admitting guilt, but at the same time not by claiming that it wasn't something else was in control of his body at the time of the murders, basically.
Speaker 1: I interviewed doctor Anne Wohlbert Burgess for my other show, Wicked Words. She's the criminal psychologist who helped shape the FBI's behavioral science unit in the nineteen seventies. She told me that she's asked serial killers to draw their crime scenes, and often they draw from the point of view of someone floating above the bodies, totally disconnected from the crimes. That might have been the case with Eugene Burt.
Speaker 4: So he was led to the scaffold calmly. He looked over the crowd of about one hundred spectators and reporters, and he commented, there are so many more people here than I thought there'd be. It was in the courtyard of the county jail, so that's probably probably quite crowded. And to the crowd, he announced, except for the disgrace attached to the scene, it is the happiest moment of my life.
Speaker 1: What you read on that.
Speaker 4: He so wanted to die. Once he killed off whoever he thought killed his family, the purpose of his life was over.
Speaker 1: His arms and legs were pinioned, and he seemed relaxed. A black hood was placed over his head. Eugene was quiet. The sheriff pulled the lever, and Eugene dropped. The Bert's family doctor stood underneath and watched as Eugene fell. He had known Eugene his entire life. Doctor Whoton noted that the killer's body seemed to actually relax, not stiffen as was usually the case. It seemed as if Eugene Bert was finally at peace with his death. After his body was loaded onto a cart, doctor Whutten and several physicians examined him. The noose had broken his neck, yet he lived for almost twelve minutes. Many whispered that it was an appropriate ending for a man who had murdered his lovely wife and the little girls. Annie's mother and sister also seemed at peace finally. They would eventually be buried next to Annie and Eleanor and Lucille. Fred Burton says, oftentimes family members find themselves conflicted with an execution.
Speaker 10: At the end of the day, when you're looking at these horrific crimes of violence like this case. It's very easy for people to say, well, isn't that terrible, But when it becomes personal and it involves a family member, there's a different feeling. You know, it depends on the family and the person. But there is this desire for justice. I wouldn't say vengeance, but I would say justice. Somebody needs to be held accountable for what took place.
Speaker 1: But what if the killer ends up in a mental institution, which is what might have happened with Eugene Burt. That would not be punitive enough for a lot of families, not at all.
Speaker 10: I think most families would say that that's an easy cop out, or the system has been gained to the point where that person was able to take advantage of this.
Speaker 1: But Eugene Bert was never given that opportunity. Jeremy Charles says this story of Eugene Bert and his family will forever confuse him.
Speaker 8: In reality, I think most crimes, you know, are typically crimes of passion, and I would imagine this probably will end up if we ever figure out exactly what happened being just that.
Speaker 1: But this doesn't seem premeditated to you.
Speaker 8: It does seem premeditated and in some ways. And that's what makes this all so interesting is that it's easy to go either way, because there's a lot of things that he did after the murderers that seemed like he would have had to have those planned in order to do it in such a timely manner that by the next morning he's having breakfast with his servant.
Speaker 1: He is relatively calm and able to function.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And that's what makes this kind of interesting is that you start to lean one way and you're like, oh, I can totally see that, But then you start leaning like, oh, oh what about this? Like oh, damn it, I forgot about that, you know. So this is kind of my favorite type of crime that are really really difficult to explain because there are so many different explanations that seem totally valid.
Speaker 1: I agree, there's no simple explanation for me either. Without modern tests, it's just not clear if Eugene Burts struggled with mental illness. So much of this has to be conjecture. I do a lot of that because I deal with very old cases. But I suspect that many suspects in history did struggle with mental illness, as we know many do today. Doctor Christine Montrose says that the study of mental illness is imperative for society.
Speaker 6: My guess is that as we learn more and more about mental illness and science continues to move forward, we're going to be better able to trace and predict who's more likely, under what circumstances to inherit these mental illnesses. It's not a sentence for people at all, if they're family, if they have a strong family history. It's a concern, but not a sure sentence.
Speaker 1: We've talked a lot about why this happened. How could a man kill his wife and his little girls. Eugene's mind might have been mired with mental illness, psychopathy, or brain damage. Defense attorney David Shepherd has defended killers who he says are irredeemable. He says those are all options, but there might have also been a simpler explanation.
Speaker 3: You don't have to fit into a dism category or axis to be a terrible person and do terrible things. They're not schizophrenic, and they're not any of those things. They're just goddamn mean people and do bad things.
Speaker 4: William ejen Burt was buried quietly in Oakwood cemetery in the family plot, far away from the remains of his wife and children, who were buried under her maiden name Powers in Mount Calvary Catholic Cemetery. During the brief ceremony of heavily veiled woman approached, laid a small bouquet of flowers on the casket, and retreated Anonymous, who was thought that she was a friend of the families.
Speaker 1: Despite Eugene Bird's crimes, his family was still very respected. His victims, Annie, Eleanor and Lucille were featured in newspaper articles for years after Eugene Birt was executed, and then their story was lost to time, like the stories of many victims. Their home on Ninth Street is no longer there. It was the scene for three gruesome, tragic murders, killings that still seemed to haunt the spot where the house was even almost one hundred and thirty years later. Listened to this coincidence.
Speaker 8: One of the victims of the Annihilator murders was a woman named Susan Hancock, and she was murdered Christmas Eve eighteen eighty five.
Speaker 1: This was the murder scene that Eugene Burt visited when he was a teenager. Aside from that, there's another connection to Sue Hancock.
Speaker 8: The connection is that her daughter ends up marrying a man named Serbery. In nineteen hundred. She actually is running a boarding house at g S two seven East ninth Street, the very same house that the Burt murders took place in. So there is an odd connection in that one of the victim's daughters ended up living in the same house.
Speaker 1: That property where the Berts built their lives and Eugene destroyed their family seems to have bad luck.
Speaker 4: And as for where the home once stood, nothing prospers, nothing stays very long. That building is under constant renovation, but never occupation. It's as unsettling as this whole story.
Speaker 1: There's another worker can't read it. I don't know, babe. We might be going down a dead end here. My daughter and I are still wandering through Oakwood Cemetery in Austin. We're searching for Eugene Burt with no luck. We were so happy to have found any powers and the girls back in the Mount Calvary Cemetery. It was clear from their family plot that they were valued and loved. Eugene Burt does have a headstone somewhere in Oakwood, next to his parents and his brother Monty. But it's a very cold day and we're tired, so we give up on finding William Eugene Burt. Normally we would be very frustrated, but this time we're not. Oh, vibe, this might be too cold. He's out in here somewhere. It's I actually, in some ways like this better. I don't really know if I want to find him because he doesn't deserve.
Speaker 2: It, because he was a killer. Yeah, who cares?
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this season of tenfold More Wicked on Exactly Right. You can hear the trailer for our next season in one week next Monday. If you love a good, real ghost story, My new audiobook original The Ghost Club is available for pre order now wherever audiobooks are sold. I can't wait to tell you the real story about the world's most famous ghost hunter, who was the head of the world's most famous ghost club, and how he investigated England's most famous haunt. Please also check out my new book All That Is Wicked. This has been an exactly right tenfold War Media production producers Jason Whaling, Alexis Mrosi, and Natalie Rinn Editors Jason Whaling, David Fabello and Kate Winkler Dawson researcher Kate Winkler Dawson, sound designer Eric Friend, composer Curtis Heath. Artwork by Nick Toga. Executive producers Georgia Hartstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Daniel Kramer. Follow us on Instagram and Facebook at tenfold war Wicked and on Twitter at tenfold war and If you know of a historical crime that could use some attention, especially if it happened in your family, email us at info at Tenfoldwarwicked dot com