Speaker 1: School of Humans. Hey, filth heads, So I lie to you.
Speaker 2: In fact, I'm not doing another Bedfellow's head Fellows episode today, And that was the past few episodes where we were looking at different people throughout history, throughout American history who might have been a little bit gay. But the reason I'm not doing the episode today is because we're actually gonna do it at our first American filth live recording. A drum roll, that's a terrible drum but yes, we're gonna do the next Bedfellows Headfellows episode live. It's gonna be fun. So if you're gonna be in Atlanta, Georgia on Saturday, June twenty ninth, come out to the show. It's gonna be at this fun little venue called Dynamic El Dorado, and there will be history, frivolity, antics, bad jokes, some good jokes, stand up, even improv is.
Speaker 1: Gonna be there.
Speaker 2: The ticket link is in the show notes, or if you visit us on Instagram at American Filth Pod you can find all the information there. And yes, I will be reminding you over the next few weeks in the episodes might even be a little annoying about it, so please come out on June twenty ninth.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be fun. But now we're gonna move on to.
Speaker 2: Another juicy, totally not controversial topic, birth control.
Speaker 1: Have you guys heard of this?
Speaker 2: People have been trying to avoid having babies since the dawn of time. Literally, like even at the beginning of the universe, the universe was like, just because I did a big bang, that doesn't mean I want.
Speaker 1: A big baby.
Speaker 2: That is the type of bad joke that will probably be included at the American filth Live event anyway. But also since the dawn of time, people have had very strong opinions about birth control, big opinions, and a lot of the conversations we have today we've actually been having for hundreds of years. There's always been a lot of people being like, yeah, you should only have sex for the purposes of having a baby, not for the lols, not for the pleasure doo. We must suffer, and especially women, especially people with uteruses, because they are whores. And one man who tried to get rid of people's access to contraceptive devices was this little Christian boy named Anthony Comstock. He was so Christian that he worked at the Young Men's Christian Association for a while aka the YMCA, which I think it's fun that that was a Christian organization because later it became the spot to go to if you were trying to cruise around and pick up another gay man. Wow, everyone's gay. It's all related. But Anthony Comstock's also funny.
Speaker 1: His name's Comstock. Suck.
Speaker 2: We're well stocked with com anyway. Near the end of the nineteenth century, Comstock became the crusader against American obscenity.
Speaker 1: And birth control. Mm mmmm mmm.
Speaker 2: That is for sinners, And in eighteen seventy three, Congress actually passed the Comstock Act, which affected birth control, which affected art, which changed the censorship landscape in America forever.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean for a long time. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Cue the theme song. This is American Filth. I'm Gabby Watts. Every week I tell you a filthy story from American history. This week's episode come Come, Come, Come, Come, Come Stop Part one. Sorry, guys, I was imagining it kind of like shots shots, shot shots, shot shots. But colm anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed the episode. Ah, filth heads, you're not gonna believe this, but we're actually gonna break format yet again.
Speaker 1: But it's gonna be fun, I promise.
Speaker 2: Before we get into the American history stuff, we thought that it'd be interesting to hear some more about birth controls throughout time, many of which have been very filthy and gross. And so I actually have my pal slash colleague slash, one of the American filth writers, Julia Chris Gao here, Hey, hey, Julia.
Speaker 3: What's up? Oh, hey, what's up? I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy, you're on the show now, Oh my god, how do you feel?
Speaker 3: Very excited?
Speaker 2: Yeah, our seventeen to thirty six listeners are going to be thrilled to hear about these things.
Speaker 3: So stoked. It's gonna be so fun.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Julia, have found a bunch of relatively well kind of like unbelievable sort of birth controls people have used throughout history. So we're going to go through some of those. Like, you know, there was literal shit in some of them. So yeah, here we go a brief history of the filthiest versions of birth control.
Speaker 4: A Hippocratic text, probably the earliest one circle like four hundred BC, used to recommend drinking copper and salt mixed with water and yes, It's true copper does mess with sperm's motility, but it also messes with your body by like poisoning it.
Speaker 1: Wait, would men drink this one?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, women, it was always right, okay, good well, thank goodness, we've always been the ones had to be responsible, all right. So another one was then after that was in ancient China, people would mix.
Speaker 1: Lead and mercury. Mmmm, it encaged. You didn't know this.
Speaker 2: Mercury is a potent neurotoxin that is heavily regulated today because it messes up your brain. But back then, you know, dudes were like, hey, maybe this could also prevent pregnancy, and it.
Speaker 4: Mess you up so much that there's no way your body could be a place where a baby could grow if you have a bunch of mercury in it. So in eighteen fifty BC, there are reports of people using crocodile dung like actual hoop from a crocodile and honey, and the acidity of the dung acted as a spermicide. And then they were like, honey is antimicrobial, so it kills the bacteria from the dung.
Speaker 3: Well that was not true.
Speaker 4: They would though, sort of like coat the dung in honey, and that would act as like a physical.
Speaker 3: Barrier aka lube. They would lube it up.
Speaker 4: With some honey, and then some cultures even added acacia leaves, which actually does ferment to create a sort of spermicide.
Speaker 1: But none of these.
Speaker 4: Were safe or effective whatsoever. There was lots of bacteria, lots of infections.
Speaker 3: Not a good thing to do use poop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this just sounds like a uti. Just give yourself a really bad uti.
Speaker 3: That's so painful, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then we have like the ancient Greeks, they use a giant type of fennyl like plants as an oral contracept, and by one idea, it became so popular that it was worth more than its weight in silver.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then eventually that plant went extinct because too many people were using it, because too many people were fucking.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's the constant throughout history is just people stay fucking no matter what people do.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's sort of moral too, of the story that we'll get.
Speaker 3: Too later exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people will always everybody poops and everybody fucks. So the Greeks, because it went extinct, they had to kind of pivot. So this one dude, suggested that as the male ejaculates quote, the female must hold her breath and draw herself away a little so that the seed may not be hurled.
Speaker 3: Too deep into the cavity of her uterus.
Speaker 4: Very Greek, very dramatic, then getting up immediately she should be squatting down. She should induce sneezing and carefully wipe the vagina all around.
Speaker 2: It is kind of like an opposite like pull and prey, where it's like the woman has to pull herself out into the man pulling himself out.
Speaker 4: Yes, basically, so hopefully he pulls out, and she has to also just like draw herself into a corner squat and try and induce sneezing to like queep out all the sperms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, queeth out the sperm. That's what I've always been saying.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. And then there was also the Greeks.
Speaker 2: What they would also do is they would they would use lead concoctions that blacksmiths would provide, so then instead of mercury, you would be drinking like run off from them, making armor and blades a little like iron juice exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're anemic, that might be good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, getting that iron shut your iron in similar to the to the inducing sneezing. While squatting. In tenth century Persia, women were told to jump backwards like seven or nine times, because those were sacred numbers seven and nine. So the women that we're doing this, we're hoping that God would intervene and thwart the convergence of the sperm and the egg.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you jumped eight times, heaven forbid, I think you'd get triplets.
Speaker 3: Oh God, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Know they could count that high back then. That's pretty impressive. Well counting the new innovation, yeah for real. Ooh, and then we got into the eleventh century, is that we got the crocodile dung is being substituted for elephant dung.
Speaker 4: And then in the Middle Ages fifteenth century or so, they would use animal dung along with juniper berries and tar because that was a thing. And then they would take this concoction and instead of like putting it on the penis, using it as loub doing that whole thing, they would just smear it all over there vagina before intercourse and after intercourse.
Speaker 2: But okay, going beyond the dung stuff, though, women in the Middle Ages were advised by magicians.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's the first red flag.
Speaker 2: Being advised by magicians to tie weasel testicles to a tree during intercourse, and if the testicles weren't available, they would tie an amputated foot around their neck.
Speaker 1: Instead.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's apparently that's going to prevent pregnancy, because this one seems more of like a ViBe's based contraceptive. Where before you know, you had sort of like this physical dung.
Speaker 1: Now the magician's like this is some magic.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, and then these sort of like the feet and the testicles started to be packaged. So this ambulets sort of started to become popular to be worn during intercourse, and they could do to your like sometimes tied around your thigh, sometimes tied around the tree outside your living space, super.
Speaker 3: Magical, super woo woo.
Speaker 4: And these these amulets would contain things like cat bones or the liver or the anus of a.
Speaker 1: Rabbit, the two choices, the two body parts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and a cloth soaked with menstrual blood. And if you're using a cat for these cat bones in your amulet, it has to be all black.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Alternatively, if you didn't want testicles or amulets or anything, you could walk in circles around the place where a pregnant wolf has urinated.
Speaker 1: That was another choice you could do.
Speaker 2: I mean like there's a variety of sort of like you can have sort of like a device, or you can kind of like do a process, you know.
Speaker 4: So then by the late sixteen hundreds, fish bladders emerged as a very very popular form of birth control, which is, if you can imagine it, it's like you know thin, its durable, little effect on sensation, and they were especially used at first among the soldiers of King Charles.
Speaker 2: The first ooh, this is kind of sounding like a condom, a condom that's emerging.
Speaker 4: Exactly, So before they would use them, they would hopefully clean the bladder, hopefully clean the bladder thoroughly, and tie it at the end with a ribbon, basically.
Speaker 3: Creating the first condom.
Speaker 4: Ooh. Unlike modern condoms, though, these fish butters were often reused.
Speaker 2: Wow, a sustainable option. That is actually our new American filth merchandise. You can go to Americi dot common. I'm just kidding, guys, we don't have that yet. So while that was like the primary contraceptives for like seventeenth century England, the ancient Romans, though they might have also had a condom type thing where they used intestines and bladders as protection from STIs. So that was smart, you know, I guess yeah, you see guts, You're.
Speaker 1: Like, I could put that on my dick exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're like, hmm, that looks like I could make something else out of it. And then around that same time, in seventeen hundreds, this guy actually named Giovanni Casanova, he invented his own version of a cervical cap with a lemon. So I feel like this is like sort of common knowledge when you and I were growing up a little bit like that. Sometimes people just like shove a lemon up there.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's just me.
Speaker 5: Well, you grew up.
Speaker 2: In a bohemian New York city. I was down here in Atlanta, Georgia.
Speaker 1: We didn't do shit like that.
Speaker 5: At that's true. I never did it, but I heard tell.
Speaker 4: But yeah, So this is basically the emergence of like what we recognize as like the first kind of cervical cap.
Speaker 3: And you basically it's.
Speaker 4: A partly squeezed half a lemon and it's inserted into the cervix before intercourse.
Speaker 5: And of course the level of acidity was very damaging to his lover's bodies. But who cares if it works right as long as he's getting what.
Speaker 2: He needs exactly. Boo women, That's what I'm always saying. Oh, but don't worry birth control. It got even more grim during the fur trade era of the eighteen hundreds, women from New Brunswick, Canada would drink dried beaver test skull soaked in moonshine. No one really knows the rationale for this, except that bieber testicles were often used to cure common colds and other ailments. I'm sure they cured them, and that the testicles contained a very potent smelling substance, and the smell itself might be enough to just.
Speaker 1: Drive your partner away.
Speaker 2: And that's a great way not to get pregnant, is to smell bad and nobody wants to be around you.
Speaker 4: But towards the end of the Industrial Revolution, though, finally, in eighteen forty four, that good old good Year patented the volcanization of rubber. I like the tire people, Yeah, thanks for the tires, Thanks for the all the rubber things that are birth control related.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then in eighteen forty six, a diaphragm was patented and called the wife's protector. So yeah, of course, through all this time, avoiding pregnancy also involved. But stuff masturbation, abstinence, and coitus interruptis basically pulling out uh yeah.
Speaker 2: And then eventually there is douche powders, positories, vaginal pessories which.
Speaker 1: Are like early iud's, and all of.
Speaker 2: Those came about and remained part of the home contraceptive conversation, and then we have you know, to this day, there's different things you can use, of course, but there is also still a lot of coitus interrupt us less dung though, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like overall, oh lot less dune. Yeah, there's other things you can do.
Speaker 1: For sure, safe at BET is to just not touch anyone.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, right, I forgot about that. I forgot about that as an option.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Have you heard of this thing?
Speaker 2: It's called abstinence, And here on American filth we are teaching abstinence.
Speaker 3: I've never known obstinence, which.
Speaker 2: Is this Uh, Julie's gonna come back in after the break. But now we're going to learn a little bit about the trends of what was happening in the comstock era in terms of birth control. So when it comes to the US and the nineteenth century, between the eighteen thirties and eighteen seventies, there's actually a lot of information out there about different types of contraceptive devices. There's a lot of books that were published on the subject. There were traveling doctors and lecturers who would tell young women about different types of devices. In fact, there was so much information out there about birth control that in the eighteen sixties there was this New England doctor who said, there is scarcely a lady in New England, and probably it is so throughout the land who did not receive information on contraceptive instrumentalities. Of course, though in the nineteenth century, people weren't just being like.
Speaker 1: Ah, birth control, let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Whenever people would try to advertise birth control or talk about it, they would use coded language. You know, they would say things like, oh, we're cheating nature or frustrating reproduction, or m did you hear about.
Speaker 1: These secrets not known to animals?
Speaker 2: And many of these products through birth control were actually advertised in magazines and newspapers with this kind of coded language, and often what would happen is women would see these ads, and then they would send a letter to the address provided and then they could receive their birth control in.
Speaker 1: The mail.
Speaker 2: And to kind of get how prevalent birth control was in the nineteenth century. From the beginning of the nineteenth century to the end, the birth rate among US born whites was almost cut in half. And this is where Comstock comes in. See in the late eighteen hundreds, in the wake of the Industrial Revolution, New York City was booming with industry and commerce.
Speaker 1: Folks from more rural areas were like, looks.
Speaker 2: Like, I got to move to the big city to make some money, and so NYC saw an insane influx of humans urbanization, industrialization, and out of this emerged what the New York Historical Society called an anonymous booming subculture of dealers, buyers, and sellers in obscene materials. And some of those obscene materials included ads and literature about birth control. And a lot of the prude elitists of New York City did not like that this information was out there, and in eighteen seventy three, the New York Society for the Suppression of Vice was founded by our guy, Anthony Comstock. Yes, he had previously worked for the YMCA. He was also a special agent and inspector for the United States Postal Service and was appalled when he saw that women were sending and receiving birth control merchandise through the mail. So Anthony Comstock founded the New York Societ for the Suppression of Vice. Its goal was to suppress the trade in and circulation of obscene literature, illustrations, advertisements, and articles of indecent and immoral use. He was like, anything dealing with birth control, contraceptives, abortion, all of that stuff is obscene. It's pornographic, and my Doom Patrol needs to go confiscate and destroy all of it. Then Comstock went before Congress and was like, guys, did you know that all this stuff is being mailed all over the place. We need to do something to stop it.
Speaker 1: Also, have you.
Speaker 2: Seen how the birth rates of white people are going down? We need to make sure people are having more babies. They don't need any contraception yuck. And Congress was like, ugh, you know what, fellow white dude, you're right. So they passed the Comstock Act, essentially making birth control illegal, and Congress put them in charge of enforcing these new law. So Comstock was like, hell, yeah, I can start arresting people. One person he arrested was author Ezra Haywood, who was a feminist and wrote a book called Cupid's Yokes. This book took a stand for women having their right to control their own bodies, and Comstock was like, that's obscenity. And Ezra had mailed a copy of his book to one of his friends, and then Kumstock went and arrested that guy too. At first, while Comstock was overjoyed with his success, most of the country was like, ugh, whatever, so just don't.
Speaker 1: Go to New York for birth control.
Speaker 2: But then twenty four other states enacted their own versions of these laws, and people were getting arrested left and right, facing fines and imprisonment. There are records of married couples facing punishment for using contraceptives.
Speaker 1: In their own home. In eighteen seventy eight.
Speaker 2: The National Liberal League and the National Defense Association presented Congress with a petition signed by over five hundred thousand people requesting a repeal of the Comstock laws.
Speaker 1: They were like, the law's anti.
Speaker 2: Obscenity provisions have been enforced to destroy the liberty of conscience and matters of religion against the freedom of the press into the great hurt of the learned professions. But Congress was like sorry, they were refused, and these laws went unchecked for a long ast time. The first successful change came in nineteen sixteen when Margaret Sanger was arrested for opening the first birth control clinic, and the law case I grew out of this situation resulted in the nineteen eighteen Crane Decision, which allowed women to use birth control for therapeutic purposes my favorite therapy not having a baby.
Speaker 1: After all that, Sanger didn't give up.
Speaker 2: She was like, hey, the Comstock laws are still really bad and super unethical. So then another amendment was made in nineteen thirty six that made it possible for doctors to distribute contraceptives across state lines. So thanks Margaret Sanger, except for the fact that she also.
Speaker 1: Loved eugen X.
Speaker 2: But as we were talking about earlier, it seems a thread throughout human history is that humans will try just about anything to prevent pregnancy, from crocodile dung to beaver piss, to weasel balls to fish condoms. So even though Comstock was like no, no, no, no, we shan't have any of this birth control mess, people were still like, hey, we got an idea for you of how you could prevent pregnancy. In one company circa nineteen nineteen saw an opportunity to make some cash. Yay capitalism. This company made cleaning products and thought, well, our products killed germs, so maybe we could tell people that they also kill sperms. So using the euphemism of feminine hygiene to sell these products, Liesol for decades was heavily advertised as a viable form of birth control.
Speaker 1: Yep, you heard that right, Lysol.
Speaker 2: So we'll be right back after these soothing advertisements. So I recently used Lysol to clean out my tub. But in the early to mid twentieth century, Lysol was like, you should use our products to clean out your tub down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: I'm using the tub as a euphemism for vagina, but anyway, it's true. Throughout the twentieth century, Lysol launched some pretty serious marketing campaigns encouraging women to douche with their cleaning product. On the surface, they were like, ah, do this to control your feminine odors, But really what they were trying to say with this was, hey, you can use this as a birth control and when they were like, hey, our product kills germs, what they were saying is it also kills sperms even if they are hiding in deep crevices aka your vagina. And Lysol is like, so, yeah, gals, go get some lysol and then make sure you douche with it after you have intercourse. And let me just say, in case you were thinking about mixing up your birth control options, I'm just gonna say, lysol is not.
Speaker 1: A good option, Okay.
Speaker 2: It used to have even harsher chemicals in it that could cause skin irritations, cramping and blistering, burning coma, and even death. And yes, women were dying from lysol douches. Like in nineteen eleven, one hundred and ninety three people got poisoned from lysol, including five women who had died.
Speaker 1: Because of douching with it.
Speaker 2: And those were just the ones who reported their symptoms. And who can we in part thank for this gross misrepresentation of Liesol's uses. Well maybe mister Comstock. By censoring knowledge about birth control and making contraceptive devices illegal, this led to everything going underground. People started seeing more unlicensed doctors, quack doctors, and started using products that were super harmful to them. Can you believe it? Limiting access to birth control doesn't stop people from trying to get birth control and actually leads to dangerous health practices. Who would have thought, But you know, it wasn't just Comstock who we have to think? Like, the FDA, for example, didn't give two shits about female troubles. So when Lysol hopped on the market being like, Hey, we'll treat your vaginal smell aka kill germ slash sperms, they didn't say anything about it. One thing that did happen was in nineteen twelve, the Council on Pharmacy and Chemistry of the American Medical Association was like, hey, Lysol and other companies who make disinfectants, we suggest that you don't tell consumers to put your products into their bodies. The Lysol was like, uh, no thanks, And so for decades to come, Liesol continued marketing itself to women as a birth control option, and it was a primary birth control method until the nineteen sixties, when the first birth control pill was released on the market, and finally, by the end of the nineteen sixties, birth control was decriminalized, but that was just for married people. It wasn't until the nineteen seventies when single people could use birth control. But here on American filth, let's have a little bit more fun. We're gonna get Julia back on because she found some of Lysol's advertisements that they used throughout the twentieth century, and some of them they're pretty amusing, but amusing in that sort of way where it's like, ah, my soul hurts, and.
Speaker 3: So Julia, okay, tell us about some of these ads.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's so many that it was hard to choose which ones I wanted to describe to your sweet ear drums.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: One of them features a woman trying to open the door.
Speaker 4: Superimposed on the door are these locks, and each lock is labeled one is doubt, one is inhibitions, and one is ignorance.
Speaker 3: And her face has this.
Speaker 5: Look of like sheer, utter, like pain and frustration, and in huge.
Speaker 3: Letters, the headline says, please Dave, please don't let me be locked out from you Lisol. Liesol clean away your doubt, inhibitions, and ignorance. Yeah, it's not even subtle, No, it's not subtle.
Speaker 4: They basically were saying, like, if you're not clean or you're not trying to prevent pregnancy, then your husband is not going.
Speaker 5: To love you. So I'm going to read a bigger one, a longer one, But this one features a woman. It looks like she's standing in like a pool with her hands like fully raised like ruefully to the sky, like she's cursing the sky, very Greek, and it kind of looks like she's prepping for like a synchronized swim routine. It's got like the cap on and the sweet like pin up bathing suit.
Speaker 2: And a necklace in full makeup, yes, a pearl netourse and full makeup.
Speaker 5: And it says, uh, too late to cry out in anguish, beware of one intimate neglect that can engulf you marital grief. And then the article reads too late when love has gone for a wife to plead that no one warned her of danger. Because a wise, considerate wife makes it her business to find out how to safeguard her daintiness in order to protect precious.
Speaker 3: Married love and happiness. One of the soundest ways for a wife.
Speaker 5: To keep married love in bloom is to achieve dainty allure by practicing effective feminine hygienes such as regular vaginal douching with reliable Lysol. Germs destroyed swiftly is like a little side note headline, Lysol has amazing proven power to kill germ life on contact truly cleanses the vaginal canal, even in the presence of mucus matter.
Speaker 2: I guess by mucus matter they mean ah sperms. I also just think it's like they were. It's very subtle that it's like birth control, but it does seem that the the main issue is a vaginal smell. And I like how that's on the hierarchy of what is important to people's bodies.
Speaker 3: And what's important to a marriage.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, it's one of the pillars of marriage is trust.
Speaker 1: Vaginal smell? Love, I guess is important love?
Speaker 3: Maybe, I guess, I mean.
Speaker 4: And then, okay, here's one that really pissed me off to it's the headline.
Speaker 3: Is you always want to leave.
Speaker 4: And there's like this couple that seems to be like leaving a party and they're like in a fight. She has a very furrowed brow and he's putting her coat on reluctantly, and it says a familiar pathetic figure the wife who always gets tired and leaves the party before anyone else.
Speaker 3: So often it's her own fault.
Speaker 4: No woman who has a normal foundation of good health can be forgiven for failing to stay young with her husband.
Speaker 3: I mean, what the fuck does that?
Speaker 4: Even?
Speaker 2: I can't young and fun and flirty, you know, and now it makes you not young and fun and flirty having a baby or being pregnant.
Speaker 4: Be sure you get the facts about feminine hygiene. Send for the free booklet offered below. It contains the facts and simple directions you must have. It was written for a woman by a woman physician. Fads in personal antiseptics come and go, but the number of women who use Lifesyl disinfectant is increasing at a greater rate today than ever before.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness, thank.
Speaker 3: God, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Their business is booming because everybody wants to douche.
Speaker 1: I want to poison my pussy, Thank.
Speaker 5: You, thank you very much, And then says, don't experiment, don't be misled by false theories, make no mistake.
Speaker 3: Only a poison can kill germs.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's hear just one last ad.
Speaker 4: This one says caught in a web, and it's like legit. A man sitting reading a newspaper grumpily. He's like sitting there annoyed, reading his stupid newspaper, and there's a gigantic spider web behind him, and behind the spider web is a woman, like.
Speaker 3: A god in the spider web like a fucking bug.
Speaker 5: And it says, day after heartbreaking day, I was held in an unyielding web, a web spun by my husband's indifference.
Speaker 3: I couldn't reach him anymore. Was the fault mine?
Speaker 5: Well, thinking you know about feminine hygiene, yet trusting the now and then care can make all.
Speaker 3: The difference in married happiness.
Speaker 5: As my doctor pointed out, he said, never to run such careless risks. Prescribed Lifesyle brand disinfectant for my douching always. And then there's a picture of the same guy, and the web is busted open, and she's now sitting in his lap and they're like cuddling and happy, and the big headline writt reads, but I broke through it, Oh the joy of finding Tom's love and close companionship once more. Believe me, I follow to the letter my doctor's advice on feminine hygiene. I always use Liesel for douching. I wouldn't be satisfied now with salt, soda or other homemade solutions, not with Lysol, a proven germ killer that cleanses so gently yet so thoroughly.
Speaker 3: It's easy to use too, and economical. The very best part is Lysol really works, I mean really works. Oh my god. It's so Also, like, do you need that whole story? Like I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was convinced just right at the beginning I didn't need it. I'm about to go buy some Lyesol.
Speaker 3: I know it's so silly.
Speaker 2: Also, the ad copy is bad because in the second part she says what her husband's name is, Tom, And now it's like what you could have just said his love because like now you're introducing like a whole new character.
Speaker 1: I know, they're very confusing.
Speaker 4: I know it's just bad writing, really, I mean, whoever's writing this copy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the copy is the worst thing that happened.
Speaker 2: And I guess we should also say, you know, just in case with this episode, even if it's not Lysol, douching's not good for you. And I mean I think it's more compleman knowledge now than it used.
Speaker 1: To be that it's bad for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's true, and there's so many they still sell them at all the grocery stores and drug stores here.
Speaker 3: I always notice them, but.
Speaker 2: They're also like often covered in like I feel like a little film of like dust totally.
Speaker 3: They're like this will clean your vagina right up?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also I remember in like middle school, seventh grade, that's when we started calling everyone like a douchebag. And then I remember when people like found out what a douchebag was. They're like, you play, you regin them, and I don't know. We were all like tittering lill thirteen year olds figuring out. But so at least we weren't raised with it. So isn't that nice? Little thirteen year olds don't know what it is exactly? Yeah, So the world is healing. If you're listening in you're thirteen, you probably shouldn't be. But don't douche. You don't need to. We love you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think maybe that's, uh, you know, one of the lessons we've learned on the episode today.
Speaker 1: Don't douche. Yeah, don't be a douchebag, but don't douche.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this week we're talking about birth control and comstocks relationship to that, But next week we're gonna We're gonna make it even spicier, and we're gonna be talking about abortion.
Speaker 1: Ooh, a very.
Speaker 2: Non controversial topic. No one's gonna have any opinions on that. All right, guys, thank you Julia for joining me.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. This was really fun.
Speaker 1: You guys know what's next. Cue the credits.
Speaker 2: American Field is a production of School of Humans and iHeart Podcasts. It was hosted by me and this episode was written by Julia Chris Gal who is also the special guest for Today. Jesse Niswanger and I made the theme song, and our executive producers are Virginia Prescott, Elsie Croley, and Brandon Barr. You guys can check out the podcast online on Instagram at American Filth Pod and that's where you can find the ticket link to American Filth Live, happening June twenty ninth at Dynamic El Dorado in Atlanta, Georgia. I will also have the link in the show notes. As always, please like, subscribe, review, force your friends to listen to the show. I hope you guys have an excellent week.
Speaker 1: Talk at you next time. School of Humans