Speaker 1: Hey guys, So I've always wanted to do some sort of like top Episodes of the year rundown thingy. This year, I had a little extra time before taking off for the holiday, and so kind of threw something together just based on what the episodes were that you listen to the most. In future years, I'd like to open it up for voting, get your input. But for this year, we're just gonna be rerunning each of the top five episodes while we're on holiday break. And yeah, here is the number five most listened to episode of the year, twenty twenty three. I hope you enjoy it. Hello the Internet, and welcome to season two seventy two, episode one of Dardilly's I Stay production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into america shared consciousness. It's Monday, January twenty third, twenty twenty three, twenty three, twenty three, twenty three, twenty three.
Speaker 2: Oh whoa good day. Yeah, good day.
Speaker 1: The good date to you as well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I will take these measurable dates and eat them happily. But today's date is also National Handwriting Day and National Pie Day. Like pie eating, we know pie Day's if you're mathematics, that's that's the March fourteenth. But we're talking about p I E Pie today.
Speaker 1: They should have combined those. Just just a note to the big too big pie to big p I E. You should combine it with the other one.
Speaker 2: That's like when I feel like all the like engineer like math nerds I knew, are like they had pie parties. Like it's like, come over for pie Day. I've made a selection of pies.
Speaker 1: They kind of go hand that is how they talk to you.
Speaker 2: Handwrite, Jack, don't do a handwrite. You do some handwriting.
Speaker 1: I got a handwriting. I've got to I've got some of that. Yeah, I do. I do a lot of handwriting. Actually, oh wait, yeah, okayyee. Handwriting just to get the mind in the morning, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh shit. No, I've been writing thank you cards, you know, for people getting this baby git and stuff. So I've been doing like so much handwriting that I'm like, oh I missed this. I feel like I'm back in school having to do an essay in handwriting.
Speaker 1: I must report to Zekeang as a recipient of one have said thank you notes. Miles has beautiful handwriting. Yeah, baby, cool looking handwriting.
Speaker 2: It's all block letters.
Speaker 1: The best you imagine, imagine what you think, Miles is. Handwriting's like it's it's the best interpretation. It's not like frillly or anything. It's just like when when the man puts the pen somewhere he meant to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you can, I think any like writing it and that like analysts would be like you are putting a lot of pressure on that pen, like I'm digging deep with that thing.
Speaker 1: But anyway, yeah, yeah, no, there's a lot of tension there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yea.
Speaker 1: That was the other thing we remarked on good handwriting, and oh boy, there's a lot going on there, sir. Yeah. Anyways, my name is Jack O'Brien aka Potatoes O'Brien aka Purtchor's O'Brien, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Ground.
Speaker 2: My goodness, Yes it's me because my artwork is in Larena, Sofia and the El Prado call me Salvador Daddy eventually, not quite yet, but yes, that will probably be a new nickname soon. Shout out to Christiamacucci made for that wonderful he must have known. I was in effanya over the summer, which I did take in some wonderful works by Gaya and Dolly of course, and of course yeah because it.
Speaker 1: As well, Miles enough beaten around. We were thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a hilarious enough with the ship of an impending Father or whatever.
Speaker 2: You've seen some art.
Speaker 1: We got a we got a heater today. Yeah, hilarious stand up comedian, comment writer, actor, fashion icon. Yeah. Whose shirts are available guarantee shirts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of our all time favorite TDZ guests, one of y'all's favorite TDZ guests, the brilliant, the raw, the major Caitlin Good.
Speaker 3: This is me hugging the zeichingg I hope you can't feel that everybody just got a consensual hug, only of those who want one. If you're not into that door.
Speaker 2: Being most of us, you're fine.
Speaker 3: Most of your problem. I feel like it's a huggy crowd. Also, I knew, Miles that you had excellent handwriting.
Speaker 1: I knew it.
Speaker 3: I felt it in my boats that your handwriting was cultivated and exquisite. Thank you and that was correct. It's hi, what wonderful praise is a pleasure as always to join you in your lovely thirty.
Speaker 1: Thank you, it's wonderful to have you here. What's your handwriting looking like?
Speaker 3: Fast? It's hurried. My handwriting looks like I am thinking about the next sentence already and would like to get it on the page. Please.
Speaker 2: Do you have like do you have like hybrid cursive printing handwriting? Because you know how people like when I hear people who write fast, all is envisioned like that hybrid cursive while also is that you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a little a lot of letters I've just trained to run together in something like normal. They're not the shape of a cursive letter. But I'm not looked at a pencil. Who's got the time?
Speaker 2: Right? Right? Right?
Speaker 3: I'm busy.
Speaker 1: I will show you a to do list that has my handwriting on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just taking notes about what a guest needs to know on this stained book. I feel like even backwards, you know that that's exactly what it would look like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rush, this is a to do list that I discovered while cleaning out my closet from over I think probably two years ago. I've accomplished half of the things on this.
Speaker 3: You didn't specify what it needs multiple mountains, but one of the one of the items on the to do list is just havana syndrome.
Speaker 2: Get to a bottom of just HOWI on the list?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: Can I ask how how long? And you been writing a list before you were like what I got to get on here?
Speaker 1: Three? Four or five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten? Item syndrome? Just enough, said future self, or you know what this means? Shit, Oh, it's like shitty memento. It's like what havana syndrome?
Speaker 2: Figure it out?
Speaker 1: Figure it out? Solve the jfk assassination Havana syndrome?
Speaker 2: What else? On the climate change area fifty One.
Speaker 3: Of my favorite jokes in the world. Sean King wrote himself so he would remember it because he knew he was not in a state to remember it when it occurred to him at the time. And it is a list of soy cheese names that make me laugh like like a like I hear that, I've heard that. I request that joke anytime I can make Sean Kin do it for me. And when next time you talked to comedian Shawn Key and I or listen to him.
Speaker 1: I highly encouraged that.
Speaker 3: You shout out soy cheeses. I will just cite my favorite Monterey John.
Speaker 2: The best thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 3: But that was in a note he left himself and discovered the meaning of which I'm so thankful he retained. Can you imagine just opening your phone to see the phrase Monterey John and having no no frame of reference? Well, are you thinking? Why has this been written? What past self decided that that was a necessary note? I remain, ever thankful that Sean held on to just enough shreds of that memory to put together one of my favorite pieces of stand up material of all time.
Speaker 1: It also relies on a knowledge that Jack is a nickname for John, which the majority of the United States does not have. I will I will have you know as somebody who is a born John who goes by Jack most people, I guess, why the hell do you do that? That can?
Speaker 3: That's for a derivative? I can go so many ways, Katie, that whatever? Cat? Yeah, I just can't stop starting with cats. But all the kate ones are allowed to. Yeah, somehow I feel like Courtney sneaks in. I can just do it if I wanted.
Speaker 1: Why not? If you're killing Sassy, right, now and Miles, you just have a cool name. So you're you're like, yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 2: Oh, Miles, I told you. I think I've said it before. I always wanted to be DJ in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, why are I DJ?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: That felt like the sickest name I'm And I remember I was like, Yo, his name is fucking bullshit. Why can't I be Yeah, there's other kids this nineties. Oh yeah, this one kid, DJ was like the coolest kid, like in my grade, Like at the time, they're.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, she's surfing and ship like.
Speaker 2: He's like, you know, he's like a good surfer when we were like ten, you know what I mean. So he was killing it. Now he's like a like a storied lifeguard in Oahu, like he he never strayed from his like beach path as a human being. Now, a DJ.
Speaker 3: Always a DJ that's you have to swing in too hard. Yeah, I can't back down from your choices as.
Speaker 1: A DJ exactly.
Speaker 2: In a way, I'm glad I did not. I did not pursue that name switch, and I stayed with Miles, and that led me towards them. That kept me on my musical path.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, very well. DJ could have kept you on a very different music would have been.
Speaker 2: Too on the nose. I feel like, you know, and here's DJ DJ like no, come.
Speaker 3: On, I personally love it, but that's not a great indicator.
Speaker 2: Of its Yeah, trolley DJ names now are like the best. Like there's a guy named Trilbo Swagons who I've seen on bills in like l a DJ. Yamba Jobi is another one I love. Like those are just funny, like I would lean into that. But yeah, as a kid, like I remember I was DJ under the name Prime with a one with a one for the eye.
Speaker 1: Okay, bucking around on this side.
Speaker 3: Yeahhi, what a's time to be alive?
Speaker 1: Truly the early nineties. I have a long thing I want to talk about that we don't have time for, about the name Michael in the late eighties early nineties and why I was having such a run. I don't have any answers.
Speaker 3: So when I was in college, we had to have multiple mics. There was maccus and Mike's second floor mic. There was tall mic, there was short mic. We had to delineate the mics. Say I got a prefixed handle.
Speaker 1: And also my most famous humans in America were all named Mike. And then the Ninja turtles came along, and the coolest ninja turtle was Michael Angela. It's why. And then since then, no, like, not a lot of cool mics got Mike Pence. This is a stand up that I'm working out. Yeah, yeah, go on, go off?
Speaker 3: All right about that is your guarantee to have a mic in every audience. Yeah, get ready, put plenty in your pocket for that, feel.
Speaker 2: Like you get on stage. Hey, So, where's Mike at Your name's Mike. Raise your hair right now? All right, Mike the fuck daddy? All right, Kayler, We're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're gonna tell our listeners a couple of the things we're talking about today. Google aid off twelve thousand people.
Speaker 1: Their stock price went up, of course, so we're gonna talk about that and how the the real theory on why corporations, why all these tech corporations are firing everyone just like firing cutting so many jobs, is because they like the other one did it, and they're like, well, if they did it, we should do it. So we'll talk about that. We'll talk about how billionaires are coping with people telling the truth about them, namely suing them. We'll talk about state houses coming up with just the dumbest, most fucked up ways to oppress non heterosexual people, all of that plenty more. But first, Caitlin, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, two part answer one, very quick and brutally honest. Cabinet suspension rails. Guess who's in the middle of putting its new kitchen cabinets or planning the process of doing so. So yeah, I can't tell you that the search results are exciting, but there are a lot of them. They are quite informative. So if you if you're with me in the journey I chose the suspension rail system, you echo into just a chamber of nothing only journey.
Speaker 1: When you're doing when you're googling that, are you finding like YouTube video that shows you how to do it? That you're like speed scrubbing through what's your process?
Speaker 3: I was looking specifically as because I was trying to be cheap and buy cabinets that didn't include a suspension rail system, so that I did the thing where I was like, well, can I buy something to add to that cabinet, and I was like, no, it's an expensive cabinet. You just get one that has the suspension rail. See how you did the thing. So yeah, that was the path that I've been chasing down. The fun one though, is that for Sundance Film Festival is happening now big time in my house, as half the house works for the fest and is there in Park City now. And quite often the category you know online there's a big breakdown of like what's playing and what's going on, And many years the International Shorts tab is not the most clicked upon tab. There are certainly competitions or movies that get more interest than that particular slice of the festival. But this year, because of alphabetical coincidence, I think it just worked out right. Truly, it was just supposed to be this way. It's not that they picked this person out, although who knows. But right now for the International Shorts at Sundance, the picture promoting it is of Jennifer Connolly, and I gotta tell you it's peak and it's peakin' stats. It's crushing stats. Folks are smashing to see what's going on with International Shorts at Sundance, and I give credit to the face of Jennifer Connolly, which will move mice all over the world. As it turns out, everybody wants to know what she's up to. So congress to those at Sundance.
Speaker 2: I was in love with her, Yeah, I mean rocket.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that International Shorts is good getting some shine. Credit credit be to Jennifer Connelly or not. All high quality films that deserve of you, right, And if it's that face that gets in there, well done.
Speaker 1: Oh that's fun. So somebody, are you are involved in Sundance or your partners?
Speaker 3: Oh, the sweet lady of the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, got it.
Speaker 3: For a few years, been with the festival in various capacities, so always fun to watch it grow it and it happened and and pick up cool stuff.
Speaker 1: And yeah that's cool. Any any news on what's coming other than Jennifer Connolly's face. For all us foreign short film fans.
Speaker 3: I wish that I had clicked beyond it. I, like the rest of the general public, was intrigued by Jennifer Connelly and literally googled Sundance International Shorts Jennifer Connolly. So if you have done the same welcome to that elite club. Yeah, I do hear a lot about programming, which means I can't remember what's actually happening and what is just discussed. But it is an honor to just be discussed.
Speaker 1: What is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 3: Oh shit? Wait? No, there was one and they were both food related? Can I do? Can I do underrated? First?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Can we allow it? Because I remember it.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry I had to wait for a ruling from our judge, but yes, yes allow.
Speaker 3: I appreciate this grace. I wrote down the word under overrated instead of writing down the thing that I think is overrated. So when I tell you that my handwriting is in a hurry, that maybe that's what's you know, overrated is rushing. See how we rescue this situation? Is not taking your time? It seems like I was getting there faster to write down my underrated. But you know what I did then was just wrote down the word underrated.
Speaker 1: The words.
Speaker 5: Underrated, underrated, which I'm just very lucky that I happen to remember because I decided on I underrated very quickly and a shuphered a few through a few overrated now which no, which I can remember.
Speaker 3: So don't rush. Rushing is deeply overrated. What is underrated?
Speaker 1: Celery, Celery, Celery baby, Okay, tell me more. I gotta agree. Are we saying a big second on this?
Speaker 2: Are we saying beyond our understandings as just like an easy dipping vegetable and something for the kids, and then obviously a vital to like you know your mirpois or like other you know, it's kind of foundational to your cooking. Tell me you're in soup season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get it here in this hemisphere, if your fridge is not stocked with some salary, you are missing out on a key component of making soup season a huge success. Plus I didn't know this. This is mainly garnered from an episode of America's Test Kitchens, So go back and look up what I had. They had to say about celery. But for a long time it was kind of the only green thing going in the winter. Celery was like a big deal on the holiday table because everything else was like stuffing turkey brown you know, delicious brown souf serve this, like there were special dishes to hold a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because CLI's in a lot of the holiday dishes like just kind of thrown in yeah, the stuff chunks of celery in there.
Speaker 3: You look at an old Titanic menu or something, and it'll be like, celery served seven ways.
Speaker 2: Why why been like oh.
Speaker 3: Creamed? So yeah, it was a champion vegetable. I think it's unsung now. I heard the mention as a kid's snack, and it is a delicious kid snack. But don't sleep. The celery is delicious. It will see you well.
Speaker 2: I love I love a celery. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I rely on ants on a log more than I should as a parent, you know, to get my kids to eat some calories when they're like not wanting to eat whatever thing I made badly for them.
Speaker 3: Oh, but we never as adults find ourselves.
Speaker 1: In that situation, right, Never have we.
Speaker 3: Ever gone through a day lacking calories or energy because we didn't do something simple like wolf down some celery with peanut butter sponge on it.
Speaker 1: Well, so I do I do that now. I also make myself ants on a log, And my only complaint with ants on a log is it takes an entire like bushel of celery for me to feel satisfied. It's like, oh, yeah, I didn't say it's the only thing you should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I said.
Speaker 3: It's underrated, not that it should be your chair like a big assist, wasn't there.
Speaker 2: Like some myth or I don't know if it's true, but people were like, it's the one food that you eat that's like a net negative Calorically, I.
Speaker 3: Feel like iceberg lettuce is also on this list of things in the nineties they told me to eat in seventeen magazine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when they're like, Hi, we're not going to promote eating disorders in the traditional way. We'll just see the seed the ground with well these subtle things like hey what about this you know.
Speaker 1: Else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, celery, I mean, yeah, to your point, Like I remember when I would eat it like I would eat My mom would make French onion dip sometimes and I would eat it with celery. She used to be like, stop eating half the goddamn tub with every bite of sun. I guess the only way I could I was using it as like a spoon.
Speaker 1: Basically, I got to make up for these net negative calories from the celery, offsetting them with net positive from the French onion dip.
Speaker 3: Building my case that it is underrated. What an excellent conveyance it adds crunch, it adds Chris. Yeah, it has flavor, but it's like chill. It's not loud.
Speaker 1: Nature's tostitos scoops.
Speaker 3: Oh see, Nature's freetos is free doos. Fritos have three ingredients. Don't forget the frito is a perfect food. I don't have to tell you that's underrated. Freedom should already be corn corn oial salt, salt. It's as is that really is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's impressive. And two of them are corn based.
Speaker 3: Yeah I know, and one is all it's really good.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, what is uh? What's something you think is overrated? Oh? Well, rushing, rushing, Yeah, it's going too.
Speaker 3: Fast to remember what you thought about before and then writing down the word overrated instead of writing down the thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that you thought was overrated. Take time with.
Speaker 3: Well executed mug lifts gets.
Speaker 1: You out of it.
Speaker 2: Oh that mug is actually also a good mug to lift in the frame because that's a beautiful mug.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that a something you're making?
Speaker 3: No, here's I live in a place now, so when I have to get things, I get the things that I like think are good. I've lived for a long time like, well, this could be possibly disposed of the year entirely by accident as I relocate to a new zip code for ten times. Right, But now I'm a bit more deliberate in my choices, hence cabinet suspension rials right exactly.
Speaker 2: Wow, is that you're sipping on it right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That's a nice mug as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah right yellow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lifetime life, never lose it.
Speaker 2: I got the I got the Rocky Mountain tubble tumblrh I bought it. I bought it at CBS because it could fit thirty two ounces, and I was going to a hotel pool party where I had to sneak in alcohol. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You just walked up sipping on a giant tumbler and no question, sir, I said it was water. Oh yeah, you know what I mean, because I guess like that that is a thing.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. Yeah, because especially look when you say like a hotel and then they're like, yeah, non, we have like a pool side bar and like the drinks are seven thousand dollars. Motherfucker. Get your Rocky Mountain tumbler on and then go to the room as you need to, you know.
Speaker 3: Yah, I don't want to put my parents on blasts. But when you go on a cruise, booth can be very expensive, so can check you luggage. So they had essentially they just wore seven days worth's of clothes and check the luggage full of booths.
Speaker 1: That's impressive. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back. And we're back, and there's a hot new trend going around the tech industry, and that's firing thousands and thousands of your employees. Google announced that they're laying off twelve thousand people, which is about six percent of their global workforce. And first of all, the market was immediately like thumbs up, no notes, great job, and their stock price went up, because that is the perverse system of incentives that we live within, and that of course makes the people making the decision to fire people instantly way richer when the stock price goes up, because that's where most of their net worth is tied up for a lot of it, at least. But this is just the latest round of laouts for tech workers. The other day, Microsoft announced they were cutting ten thousand jobs. Shortly before that, Amazon announced massive layoffs, and Google claims that their explanation is how we just hired a bunch of people during the pandemic and now we're in a different economic reality, which.
Speaker 2: Oh a better one.
Speaker 1: No, that's that's the thing, Like, Nope, this sort of bait and switch that corporate entities do where they're always talking about like the financial outlook is bad, but then they never really like follow through when it's good on doing anything for anyone. Right, it's always just them announcing that the financial outlook is bad and then laying off people because remember like during COVID, everybody was like it's an economic apocalypse, and now they're like looking back at that as like the good old day is well, but.
Speaker 3: Because I've got paid for because the buddy just bled out. You know, tracking where that went will be an amusing job for some finance students in the future, but it is. Yeah, I bet that was the wild old days. You can send in a piece of paper and all of a sudden a bunch of money showed up, and then he said in another one, and I guess it was fun like there was on a corporate level, it seemed like there was a giddiness about what was possible, like we can just fire everybody. We don't have to have offices anymore. Our stock is stable, but nothing else in the economy. It like, what is happening? I don't unreplicatable. I don't know that it was. Corporate entities are like alive, they live forever, but they can't. I don't know that the virus affected them, Like it's then the human.
Speaker 1: People they were like, they've weakened. It's time for us to get stronger and exactly, yeah, oh no.
Speaker 3: The terminator was worried about the wrong AI. It's corporation.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. I've been saying that, like capitalism and corporations are the singularity, like they're the unkillable thing that is like ingesting all of the minds and intelligence and just using that to kill any challenger. But yeah, massive corporations yearning for the good old days of the COVID outbreak, when all we heard about during the COVID outbreak was how fuck the economy was is kind of a weird look. And people who speak the language of these people say, it's like still a bad move, Like it doesn't make sense to fire this many people because you, like a lot of times you're firing people who you just spent a bunch of money to like recruit and hire, right, they say, it's like buying high and selling low on your labor because you like really like spend a lot to like recruit people, bring them in, and then.
Speaker 2: Have like attroactive packages so you can get them to sign and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then because of like a temper very economic condition, you fire them. And then when things pick up again in twelve months, you are going to be spending a lot of money like trying to get that same quality or even sometimes those same employees back on your area.
Speaker 3: The sanity of the amount of money companies will spend to pay humans less money right out of control. It's in them. I mean the same arguments, Like housing is the same thing. The amount of money we spend to keep people homeless is.
Speaker 1: Wild, Yeah, wild.
Speaker 3: It would be so much cheaper by every measure to just put people inside in like safe, nice places.
Speaker 2: What are you trying to say that it costs three times more in Los Angeles to deal with an unhoused person than if we spend the money to find a way to get them in permanent housing, which is one and then we.
Speaker 3: Want to jail them for being unhoused on top of that, when we're just putting them inside for the profit of someone. Yeah, it is a I mean putting them inside. It's a statement I probably could have shaped more gracefully as these are people. But it is a a ton for a fact, I assure you. It is a Yeah, one of those well silly conundrums about capitalism that like you need society. It's why economic systems don't work in a vacuum because they're endless. They have no boundaries. They keep expanding. But we live on like a planet. Like I know, I do astronomy tours the night. Maybe we've talked about that. I live in Joshua Tree. Now I go out into the park with telescopes and I talk about space. So I think about this kind of stuff all the time. Like it's one planet. It is so very small. We have a boundaried amount of resources. As much as elon Musk, I want to grab an asteroid full of gold, it is not a likely outcome for us and permanent resource development. It's very cool. We can make oxygen on other planetary environments, but it's not like a sustainable bottle for life. So the expansion of capitalism being limitless is one of the things is very foolish, and then you need a society decide, like when profit doesn't win, like like with housing, like with yeah it's.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, just like on the broad scale thing, Like there's that statement by William Shatner where he like went to space and was like and I looked back and I realized, like space is bad out there, there's nothing out there for us, and like the Earth is this amazing beautiful thing. Which I was like, man, that's a really good point that he just made, and like I wish I I don't know he said.
Speaker 2: He basically said, you don't you don't want to be out here, right, different appreciate.
Speaker 1: What you got, right the del Curry thread, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Don't don't start thinking about out here because it is a piece is.
Speaker 3: Incredible, It is inhospitable to every way are we have adapted as biology. Space isn't bad. We are just programmed to live in a certain type of environment and space is different from that environment. We don't think about the fact that the atmosphere is like we live in stew we need super rich gassy goodness and space just is it like that our bodies are designed for a certain amount of gravity. Space just has like different, it's just different. But we're not going to do great there. So yeah, the inherent constraints are one thing. But then this like spinning off of costs is just madness, and it happens within capitalist environments themselves, where like they get fixated on a number, the pennywise plan foolish game, where like, labor costs money, so paying less than labor means we make more money. But that is a ridiculous, so provably false, and it repeats itself so often that you'd think we'll have learned the lesson from history, because it's like the eternal history of humans working for other humans has this balance of like a seesaw tipping back and forth, where labor is a press, labor fights back. Labor is the press. Labor fights back. That wheel has been turning, it's turning right now. But and like tech is an important place because tech is how we're talking to each other right now. It's how people communicate among the rest of the trade. Like that's important labor, those are important people with important skills that need to be helping us thrive. Go backwards thinking that we can pay people less to make more. It doesn't work. It doesn't work.
Speaker 2: But here's the work. On the shareholder call, they're going to be like, well, what's the fucking deal? Because these other companies are getting are axing people. Why aren't you guys been enough to hire them?
Speaker 3: Hire them all, hire them, now, hire them and pay them so they don't leave. Hire yourself thirty six thousand incredible employees and make your company incredible money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and watch your stock price go down a little bit and realize, like my day to day stock price is not like a way to run the fucking company, Like that's or not. Yeah.
Speaker 3: If your plan is to eat the company alive and leave, that's one thing. But what if your stock goes on because that company is ah, it's gonna live on too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What if it kept making money past the three years that you pull the plug on it, drain it and kill it. What if it actually, over thirty years would give you so much more money? Yeah, that it's such as death.
Speaker 2: I'll take the money up front right now.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take right now.
Speaker 2: Right, I'll take the money right now. I don't care about thirty years. I care about right now.
Speaker 3: Have it all away for just a little more.
Speaker 1: Right that's right. And so there is a Stanford business professor who said back in December that the real reason behind all these tech layoffs that you know, that was before all lot of the ones we're talking about, but they had started, and he was like, watch this. They're all gonna do this because everyone else is doing it. And that is how CEO brains work. That's how like the powers that be like, guess it's it's a bad decision. There going to like you know, severance packages cost the money, their unemployment insurance rates increase, productivity drops due to low workplace morale. They're going to when the economy picks back up, like goes, spend a bunch trying to rehire these same employees. But tech companies are responding to the market only basically, and they're just it's so basic and just like they engage in imitative behavior because it's like a big fucking social circle where like social contagions like well I don't want I don't want people to be like why didn't you do that? He did that so that I have to do it to like hedge my bets.
Speaker 3: Basically, that's how you get everyone in fleece vests. That's how you get the entire city of San Francisco in the same navy blue fleece with a blue collar shirt.
Speaker 2: Underneathes leather boat shoes. But I mean it's wild because again, like to your point, right, like when Lula took office in Brazil when he was like, yeah, man, we're gonna tackle inequality and people starving and the market's fucking sick because you said, because he articulates that, which again, everything is just about the whole thing, which is ignore your human impulse to have empathy and to take care of a problem, because at the end of the day, we're all just becoming subservient to again the shareholder value, the stock price. And again it's like this, this only leads to the fucking just you know, consumption of every resource that we have and then like emptying out our pockets and be like is.
Speaker 1: The jet here yet? Is the rocket here yet? And it won't be. Yeah, That's why I brought up the shatter thing is because like the long game is like that. I feel like that statement was profound and it also made me realize like they were like he's suffering from a thing. Lots of astronauts like come back from space with where they're just like, oh my god, it's so bad up there, you guys, we need to like fix all the problems on Earth. We have it completely backwards. But you never hear about that shit, because again, the whole thing is this vast, like hive intelligence of capitalism that is only telling you the thing that is going to accelerate consumption and like create this overall narrative where we have to get off the planet and create more more worlds to consume. Right.
Speaker 2: Essentially, it's it's like being inconvenience that like your roof has like a leak in it, and you start building another house and you're like, wait, what are you doing. You're like, well, my my other house has a leak in the roof, and I don't want to fix it.
Speaker 1: That building that second house is so good for the economy. You don't understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think of the amount of people you're going to employ by building another house, thank you. But again it's the why not why tackle the issue, Like why not tackle the issue of the faulty roof, which is doable, rather than being like, now, fuck it, we're going all in on getting the fuck out of this house and building another one next door, which yeah, like whatever talking about it's like, just just take the fucking time to fix that. It's it's manageable, but it just takes a different way of thinking round than like well if I do that, then there's like it I just solve it right there and then there's not some.
Speaker 1: Like continuous problems house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you hit something.
Speaker 3: It is a poison because like wanting the idea that humans want to explore off the planet we live on is like as old as people like don't stop looking up. It has been put like that urge is pure. It is impure to think that we want to go there to take diamonds to bring back to here, like that is insane. That's so that's so crazy. But the idea that we are explorers is not is not crazy.
Speaker 1: And and listen to the people who use this marvel of like space travel to go up there get a perspective that only like a handful of humans ever get and be like, yo, you are we are all fucking up and like you can you can see it from up there, like somehow your spirit can like see it. And it's really bad. And and they pay.
Speaker 3: Their bodies are they're strength. It's a long term. What astronauts do has a long term costs that we're getting better at understanding. But like, it's not just bad for us. We're not designed all the every condition is not what we're designed for. Well, I mean propis are getting good. Way to go, perseverance, keep looking for stuff in those rocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, show us.
Speaker 3: Life on Mars. I just want to see what happens. I just want to see what happens if we can find evidence of bacteria life on. But I just want to see what we do.
Speaker 2: We'll bring it excited, we'll bring it back and it'll wipe us out. As it scripted, brisky came too much? Yeah, yeah, well bring bring it home, Bring it home, bring it home. All the fucking ecosystems are devastated.
Speaker 1: And they're like, ah, fuck, knew it.
Speaker 2: I knew that was bad. It's probably bad. Is probably that? Probably that probably bad?
Speaker 1: They did, Like that is a big thing they do, the quarantine after after the moon landing, Like they were like, tubes are.
Speaker 3: The cleanest things we've ever made. The tubes on that little Mars rover are clean, baby clean, and they are getting sealed up. They stay in space for like a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, and then I did want to, you know, just follow that story up with a story about why that will be the last time that we ever talked about rich people or corporations, because now they are suing us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not us specifically, but they're going after people who like to connect the dots out loud on the influence of money and better work or also known as board b U is being is.
Speaker 1: He known as that? Just really did?
Speaker 2: I just decided to do that as a Pharrell reference. But we all know, we know he gets down on that skateboard. We saw him get down in that wad Burger parking lot. But you know he's being sued by this natural gas magnate in Texas. Why did he do something criminal?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: He pointed out the fact that the Natty gas pimp gave Governor Greg Abbott one million dollars right after the governor signed a bill into law that created a loophole for natural gas operators to be able to opt out of mandated winterization of their infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Well, what does that even mean? It's not like that could ever harmation chains on my tires? Who gives this ship be?
Speaker 3: Like? How bad could winter in Texas?
Speaker 2: You did anything bad happen a couple of winters ago, where properly winterized infrastructure could have prevented the death of hundreds and.
Speaker 3: Led to the just robberies people that's right, not dying their homes.
Speaker 2: There was in twenty twenty one, and then Abbott signed a bill like a few months later that made it seem like he was addressing the issue of like the winter storm, and he was like, I want to make it look like I'm advocating for Texans by saying, we got it. We actually have to get serious about mandating or like mandating like the proper winterization of infrastructure and like not allowing these operators to price gouge people. But again he left a loophole for the natural gas gang, which is why the Tech and the Texas Tribune points to the natural gas operators as quote the primary cause of outages during that time. So what the fuck is going on and what is this distraught man to do for betual' rourke saying things like this guy's influencing the governor or bribing him.
Speaker 1: Oh well, he just really pointed that out. The Greg Abbott thing. He was just like, yeah, he's like Bill was fucked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, look at it. He's like he's carving out loopholes for his buddy. This guy gave a million dollars. You think this isn't connected. This is directly relates to his business and way of making money. And this is this is the kind of corruption where a gup. You know, like any any person who's like running for office with that sort of set of ideals is going to articulate. Well, his lawyers now are saying, like, well, you know what, they said that this natural gas Taichoon experience quote mental anguish from comments, ads and social media posts in which o' works campaign suggested that the money was a reward for Abbot going easy on him. Well what else? Tell us what else, honey, let's soothe your woods. Quote Beto o'roart told millions of his followers that Warren engaged in bribery, corruption and extortion, and that he profited from the death of his fellow Texans simply because mister Warren gave a perfectly legal campaign contribution to the candidate of his choosing governor Abbot. When you look at the comments that his followers put in on his tweets, they believe him. They believe that mister Warren is a criminal that is engaged in profit over the lives of Texans. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, so your profits. See the reason is if you spent the fucking money to properly protect your infrastructure and prevent the power outages for people, which wouldn't have led to their deaths. And you know the fact, after the after the people. That's the wild thing.
Speaker 1: Is this why it's like a thing where it was like a Hinde Insight twenty twenty, we would have really addressed that fucker they are doing this and like paying him a million millions of dollars campaign contribution after they've their fuck up has already led to people dying, has already led to like a national news like just disaster, like something that everybody was talking about, and they're like, yeah, okay, so the next thing we need to do is is make sure that nothing, no consequences are ever felt from this, right, Like, I don't know, I'm.
Speaker 3: Looking for some silver lining. And remember that are perfectly balanced judicial system is it runs on a system of precedent. Now, if we could establish a precedent that mental anguish is enough to sue a politician for then perhaps perhaps we're onto something here, maybe even corporate. I've experienced mental languish from every overdraft fee that I've ever experienced. Maybe a little class action suit in that direction is in order I've experienced, you know, mental anguish.
Speaker 2: Oh I remember, you know what I was in college and I.
Speaker 3: Had to get all those loans because like we made tuition in the student fees in the California public university system, don't I remember that? Being it starts of mental languish. Maybe the half million students a year that were in school with me in the state of California would like to get together and see if there's a little something we can do to compensate ourselves for what we suffer, you know what I'm saying. But it's not a lot.
Speaker 1: But if we could start suing people for mental anguish and.
Speaker 3: That I just think that maybe we're onto something here then mental anguish.
Speaker 1: And if the judicial system wasn't run by billionaires right in business, hey, you.
Speaker 2: Never know, let's let's open the doors. But again, like many people are saying, like obviously it's a bullshit slap lawsuit and it's you know, meant to chill the speech of candidates or anyone who's wanting to point out that we live in this fucking oligarchy. So you know, there's that, and it could be a great blueprint for other, you know, very sensitive earth fuckers who don't want to hear people accurately describe their actions. But yeah, it's it's it's a.
Speaker 3: Little dystopian nineteen eighty four flipped the language five. Yeah, you told the truth about me, so I'm suing you.
Speaker 1: It's just.
Speaker 2: And I mean when you also look at it too, this guy, like this gas guy, like he's in every he's making sure everybody's paid, you know what I mean. Like Ken Paxton, the Attorney General. After the storm, he's like, we got to look into these gas companies, Man, what the fuck was that storm about. It looks like they were gouging, but the price gouging was out of control. But since then he's refused to say, like, what's going on with that investigation? And then if you look at the donations, the same guy, Kelsey Warren's given at least two hundred thousand dollars to Paxton throughout his career, so it's like he stays on the good side of him and then also the Texas Railroad Commission, which is the body that oversees like oil and gas and stuff in the state, you know, and like talks about price caps and things like that. He's given like over three hundred and ninety thousand to like Texas Railroad Commission candidates in the last decade, so you know, I mean, if anything, it's just one of these weird things where you see how it works. But again, they're like, we have to prove the intent in court, right, you know what I mean, Like he was just giving to like and it's it's this nebulous language that is allowed for them to have a defense. I'm merely participating in the civics the civic process here and just giving money to a preferred candidate without really you know, but we're not going to actually analyze what that means, right, And I think that's what this what this lawsuit could end up boiling down to. Anyway, he's being better at work, he's being sued for a million dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that. Or it's just mad he's not a baller like this guy, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and I think that's what this guy is saying. He's like it's just all these haters. They hate that we're ballers.
Speaker 3: I shall call this alvista. I feel like we're this is the I mean, Chad's are finally stepping up to assert their dominance in court, which it's about time. I can see by the visual representation that this is the aphex of the white male. This is this is it, this is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not getting much.
Speaker 3: Every every billionaire looks like flaccid wet sausage. But that's it's just something that happens. I guess when you have that much money.
Speaker 1: Speaking of flaccid wet sausage, we uh, we got a fucking flaccid wet sausage all star. I strolled down to look.
Speaker 3: At this guy's picture, and I misunderstand. I I saw in the document which you so kindly prepare for guests there you've you've included a photograph of a certain gentleman, and I mistook him for a billionaire because he has billionaire body, which is about the compliment I could give him, which I think we all recognize is not.
Speaker 2: And he has like he has like that vibe like when you're so privileged, like you still look like a baby because you've never had to live still.
Speaker 1: Like you said, you're not surprised to hear the stories about with his haircut, that dodgy haircut.
Speaker 3: That haircut is Oh my god, Yeah, it looks like Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: It's who's the owner of the Raiders who has the bowl cut?
Speaker 3: Yeah Davis with the haircut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not Al Davis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Al Davis is I think it's Al Davis's son.
Speaker 2: Maybe Oh yeah, yeah, he's got that. He's got that really wild edge up, like he's got a Caesar with bangs. Yeah basically yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like rell.
Speaker 2: As the front.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wasn't like give me an edge up. But yeah, yeah that the person I'm talking about is Mark Davis, al Davis's son. So worth looking at him and the gentleman we're about to talk to when we come.
Speaker 4: Back, not talk to talk about. No, we got him, we got him, We got got him on the horn. Love your worldview, man, got to have you on the show. All right, we'll be right back, and we're back. And state houses where all the good ship is going down these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the wake of the twenty twenty election, all the state houses were busy finding ways to rap fuck elections. Since their whole idea has been stopped to steal. And then after the twenty twenty mid terms, it seems like the Republicans new obsession is the continued dehumanization of the LGBTQ community.
Speaker 3: Nothing to worry about, there never.
Speaker 2: Hard Yeah, yeah, don't don't if we got rampant in semitism, homophobia, yeah yeah, this all ends, This is all gonna end well. But like as it stands, right, there have been over one hundred and sixty bills introduced in twenty twenty three that are meant to discriminate against drag shows or trans people. They're fucking like they're putting the pedal to the metal. One particularly stupid bill comes from the aforementioned dick head from North Dakota be.
Speaker 3: Wearing three hair pieces. I don't mean to come for the man, but I'm saying that most of the trans community could really help.
Speaker 1: You know, how to lay a wig baby like this.
Speaker 3: On the side of the rainbow. We can just let us fix it.
Speaker 1: You are serving Mark Davis, Yeah, you're serving or you're serving a white man cosplaying as Maya from Pen fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in the worst possible way, Like you're like, hold on what the fuck is this vibe?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a horrible insult to Maya from Penn fifteen.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a bull cut, you know what I mean, my looks, you're not tripping. I just saw We're right. But that's it. So that this man's name is David Clemens, and he just introduced a bill that would generate fifteen hundred dollars fines for using people's preferred pronouns.
Speaker 1: Using their preferred pronouns.
Speaker 2: Yes, require you to. And what he means is that this would apply to any quote, any entity receiving state funding, including a public school and institution under the control of the state Board of Higher Education and a state agency or office. They're basically saying, like, if you spend the time to acknowledge someone's pronouns, you will be fined. We're only going to be just completely We're not respecting anybody or how who they are as people. That's that's the fine quote. And again he goes even further. In the event that these biggots have like terrible gaydar or like, you know, a way to sust people out, he said, quote if sex, gender or gender identity or gender expression is contested determination is established by the individuals. Deoxy ribo nucleic.
Speaker 1: Acid cool, So DNA testing, Yeah.
Speaker 3: They're so good with that. Yeah, the state testing people's DANA on demand to something typically that people who favor less government control are like all about. Yeah, this aligns perfectly with the general philosophy. Yeah, absolutely, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: And this there's already like other advocates that pointed out it's like, what if you, like, chromosomes aren't always straight up male or female? Yeah, so what do you how are you gonna even enforce this? This is just like some ignorant guys thing of being like, well, if they don't like it, well test their blood kind of thing. And it's like for.
Speaker 3: What yeah for girl.
Speaker 2: For girl, like and what if what if someone like an intersex person wouldn't have like a traditional DNA profile where they could be like this is man, this is or whatever it is. Again, this is so fucking backwards. And this is on top of other bills in the state that already banning gender firming care for trans for trans kids, or banning trans girls from playing sports. They're just they're piling on on all this nonsense. And even though their own state Judiciary committee said this bill was unlikely to work because it's written with tears and crayon and is also so poorly worded. They're even like, how are you going to enforce this?
Speaker 1: But this is all their shit, like all the they're all based on like a fucking Facebook post. They didn't do any like follow up research on It's anytime you talk to one of these bigots, they're just they their ideas area is paper thin. I mean, their commitment is strong, but like they don't they haven't like looked into any of this shit. It's just all based on something that their cousin fucking wrote on Facebook.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I again, like this is not a winning formula, you know what I mean for candidates in the midterms. It was only scoring culture warpoints on TV. Like, it wasn't putting. It wasn't like, oh this is the this is like the plutonium rod that will power the GOP to like you know, like insane majorities. And again they continue down this hate path full steam, I mean, not to mention like already, like the dickheads in Congress, they're already bringing up a fucking fair this fair tax bullshit again where they want to have a flat sales tax to replace like every other tax we have, and another giveaway to like the wealthy that they're just like, they're just you know, there's no real direction aside from create as much outrage as possible, score as many culture warpoints as possible, because actual actual legislating is far from a priority. It's just to create. I don't know, for whatever reason they're they're clying back whatever gains they felt were made by people who were not Cishead Christians in the last twenty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just confusing. It's a confusing Like I don't I could look for indicators in other societies that have freaked out about this and then falling apart, which is what happens over and over again. But the obsession about it is so virulent, Like people are so angry about gender expression. It's an I don't understand the anger or what it's actually about. It's like it's like you're having you know, on a grand scale, we're having a fight that where we're screaming about a teapot. But if we were in the couple, we would know it's not about the teapot, Like, what is this about? What are you mad about? Like I just don't quite get it. And this isn't like a coming out. You can look at me and know that I don't express gender along strong binary lines. I've never been DNA tested. I have no idea what the results would be. I'm like woman with big air quotes. I just fall somewhere in the middle. My gender expression is leatherman, like I have cargo bates, like I'm somewhere floating in a purple space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like if and.
Speaker 3: I feel like a coward sometimes. If they wasn't popul usage, that's probably what I would use. But I'm not interested in engaging in a linguistic fight. I see it more as just like clumsy English than anything else, like other languages are better at expressing the fact that tender is part of language is very funny and weird anyway, I don't care, but it's terrifying right. I travel less and I do live in a conservative area now. But like, I'm aware of being clocked in just this way that I know what people walk away around with in a because you know their expression means that folks are eyeing them down and they're so mad.
Speaker 2: I don't well. I think it's because everything, everything we see is it's trying to reset the scales. So like white cis head Christian hegemony is maintained, and every group that we are in, every group we now offer consideration towards, is another group. These people see themselves having to too right because they're not. They didn't used to have to bow to be like, oh, I didn't realize about you know, you know, systemic racism. Oh god, it's not.
Speaker 3: Shoving someone in a bathroom? Is that submission?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I think again. For them, it's like, why do I have to now consider pronouns? What the fuck is this? I'm I'm at the top of the sociological food chain where I shouldn't have to My consideration shouldn't go downwards. Ever, I'm here, y'all fucking deal with it. And so what now I have to be mindful about, well, what what white supremacist policies have had in this country? And I'm not fucking doing that. That's bullshit. I don't want to talk about critical race theory. What you're saying now I have to defer to somebody because they said that they their gender expression is this that? And you know I'm not doing that. It's everything.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing that I'm not doing that.
Speaker 2: I'm not extending I'm not extending my empathy towards these people. So now the natural instinct is to, well, then man, vaporize the fuck out of them, like start making it the law that actually can considering them is illegal, that studying critical race theory is illegal. And again we're not even saying this was even being taught to fucking children, but they're putting laws on the books and be like, don't even fucking talk about ap African American studies in Florida has no value.
Speaker 1: There has no value to me, right exactly. Yeah, it's it's just.
Speaker 2: It has no value to somebody who is not who Their only goal is to say, I'm only looking for reminders of my power as a cis head white person in America if I have to say I'm sorry to someone, No, no, no, we're fucking up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The entire civilization was built around their ignorance for decades, you know, like it was like we've just what is polite is whatever you are comfortable with as a cis head white man and.
Speaker 3: Who that gave me the shivers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: That's another I'm sorry. I just put a picture on it of another legislator from Mississippi who was again trying to ban like trying to ban doctors from providing gender affirming care. And this guy looks like literally what you just talked about, Jack, someone who's built in the fires of ignorance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and will fight for every opportunity to make sure he's allowed to stay ignorant, keep his children ignorant, and make sure nobody ever pushes his hair back to see where his hairline actually starts, because he's got the he's got the wild floppy bangs that like come down into his eyes in a way that I'm not fully buying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean, but this is where we're at. There, we're watching in real time the like legislative like the legislative manifestation and at every level of clawing back this sense of like dominance, Yeah, and that there and trying to recreate a world that's like fucking Jim Crow era shit, which.
Speaker 1: Is like I don't know, Yeah, that's them, then that's their thing.
Speaker 2: That's not my problem, right, And I'm not and I don't need to begin thinking I have to make considerations in my day to day life about people I'm not really like not been exposed to or educated on, and I'm ignorant of. So the natural reflex isn't to learn or to open my heart, is to close it down and figure out how I can legislate my way out of learning anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we live in a you know, civilization where the rewards go to these people, like they still go to those people. This guy's in fucking Congress, like the you know, the guy you just showed a picture of is you know, hits.
Speaker 3: On showtime right now is a pretty good documentary about the Attica prison riot, which I didn't know a lot about, so I was glad to get some better insight in. But it is a pretty inhumane response to people asking to be treated like humans.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: The folks with the boots wore those boots right on out of that prison, back to their homes, back to their families, and the people inside the prison it was, you know, people spoke out to ask to be treated like people, and those folks who spoke out were specifically targeted and taken down. It it's such a stark I think perhaps some of when I look at history and civil rights in the United States, I wondered why this prison riot hadn't made its way to the forefront in the way some other events had. And it is almost because some other events have a deeper degree of subtlety, like talking about who can ride the bus has a more humane level of subtlety. The ATTICU Prison riot is on the nose in a way that leaves you with a nosebleed. And that's important because things are that is as it was. You know, we can have a debate in a classroom about that period of history. Debate is rich, but you know, you can talk in a classroom about buses. It's really hard to talk about what happened in that place and the lack of aftermath, the fact that nothing changed. It's uh worthy watch if you want to, you know, just get goutt it. Have your eyes shot upon by the truth.
Speaker 2: Truly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the there's so many stories like that. We should just do a whole series that's just like the stories that you will hear from American history and be like, holy shit, why isn't this the first thing they fucking taught me? Like there's an episode of there's an episode of The Doll Up about the Boston bus riots that is like the most damning thing about like how racist Boston is and just like massive you know race riots started by you know, wildly racist policies and racist people in Boston and it just doesn't get brought up. It's like not a thing that you learn about in school.
Speaker 2: I think, to Kaitlin's point, it's always the ones that are so obvious exactly, you know what I mean, Like I didn't know the police dropped a bomb on people in Philly. Yeah I was thirty, Yeah, you know, I was like, wait, what.
Speaker 1: Offer a hellic?
Speaker 2: What the fuck? Really? You know what I mean? And it's and you look at everything and you're like, oh my god, these uh yeah.
Speaker 1: That just looks like an extension of all the other terrible racist violence we've seen that we were supposedly moved past, but you know, it keeps popping up in these other ways.
Speaker 2: But yeah, who we'll see, uh yeah, it is. It is interesting to see how how we look back at this period, because you know, anytime the society lets a group become vulnerable and you know they be can picking away at it, that's truly the beginnings of some even more awful shit. And we've been experimenting with this same way of doing business for fucking ages now, So it's like really just hardening the one The one thing I will say is that with that one specific bill in North Dakota, a lot of people came out to like oppose it. Not one person came to like support the bill at all. And what I mean even like the people in that committee were like, yeah, this is there's no way this is like this is not going to pass, but it's still going to the Senate floor for a vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like in North Dakota. So again we'll see.
Speaker 2: But this is all this is all part of these people wanting to keep up the regularly scheduled programming of saying like, hey, we can legislate our way to the top again by dehumanizing and othering our fellow here North Dakota.
Speaker 3: This is my plea. If I understand correctly, you are the least touristed state in the nation. And if that's not true, I apologize. But also, look at what just happened in your state house. We all have a lot to talk about. But I am pretty sure North Dakota that not enough people come to see you. I'm pretty sure it's South Dakota. Dakota has that mountain with the people on it, and that's what everybody goes to see. You North Dakota are sitting there full of beautiful spaces that could be full of gays and their dual income, no kid lifestyle. Imagine the resort properties. Imagine the tourist dollars that you could try in with those snowbirds. I'm just saying you're missing where the money is. Those grand shows, people just throw money. Did you know that? At a drag show where the transit is dance, people literally just throw American dollar bills at one another.
Speaker 1: Just bring that money in there you go, Caitlin as always truly a pleasure having you on the show. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: At Guarantee Shirts. Of course, I also made a four twenty DA Fiance Grab a T shirt. An amazing podcast in addition to this one that you should check out and enjoy. Otherwise, I am not online and it's beautiful, so my T shirts that's where I'm at. There you go get the designs where they're around. Otherwise, enjoy international shorts featuring Jennifer Connelly and every other talented performer.
Speaker 1: Feature and is there a work of media that you've been enjoying movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been ignoring Twitter since we had to let the sink in. But I let that sink in. Sorry, I got the pume wrong because it's just so such, but I'm going to give it up. I thank Alice Wetterland for pointing me this direction. I have been indulging in scrolling through Reddit, specifically just the reddits that I have subscribed just a home girl, so I see a lot of plumbing, a lot of electricity, a lot of home improvement, and a lot of curled feteas. So if you want to see some animals with their feets all curled up, I highly recommend that you go check out Reddit's corner curled Fezzi's to see it's mostly cats. And I understand there was some tension about down boates given to other animals with curled fezzis, but it has been clarified within the community that any animal with cute curled fez is allowed for submission, so mainly cats. For a variety of animals with their feet curled, highly recommend you know when their little feet just flop over because they're relaxed, so that one little joint that is neither elbow nor wrist.
Speaker 2: Nor mean flops.
Speaker 1: I like to when cats sit under their feet and the like feelings. Yeah, that's called I'm a black cat, so we call it batmobile.
Speaker 2: Wow, I have a black cat too. I'm gonna call it batmobile.
Speaker 3: Looks like a little batmobile, right, I'll curled up.
Speaker 1: With Whoa and her yellow eyes say less exactly?
Speaker 3: Were the same cat?
Speaker 1: Miles? Where can people find you? What's the tweet you've been enjoying?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: You can find me on Twitter and Instagram at Miles of Gray, like Caylen said. You can also find me on four to twenty Day Fiance with Sophia Alexander and also Jack and I have a basketball podcast called Miles and Jack gott Madlies. Okay, let's see. And the tweet I like is from at Richard Underscore normal between it. I think my most misogynistic belief, and I apologize in advance, is that I've noticed that. And again I'm sorry to say this. Sometimes women don't finish their cans of sparkling water as frequently as men do. And that was his take, and I as somebody who I don't. The thing is, I don't even finish my cans with sparkling water. I think it's a I think this is this affects everybody the same way. Although Her Majesty loves to leave around like loose half cans with third water. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: I'm for the one sip ditch, So I have no steak in this argument.
Speaker 2: How do you feel? How do you sip? Because like I get it too. Sometimes I open a can, I'm like, oh shit, I need this, but I only really needed to sip, and then I'm like.
Speaker 3: The first big sip that hurts, yeah and.
Speaker 2: Burns, and I'm like, I'm gonna leave it on the kitchen counter. I'm gonna get back to this can.
Speaker 3: Of course I am. And then I'm going to finish this can and not open another one.
Speaker 2: Which is funny. This is also how I came across the thing about Jack. When I say, leave a half opened passion fruit Lacroix in your car and they'll smell like a new car. That's again straight off of me not finishing fucking cancer, fucking sparkling water. I feel like this is everybody. This is everybody's problem.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not my problem. My problem is the opposite. I drink everything that's in front of me. That's why I can't drink alcohol. I drink so much, so fast. I am a thirsty, thirsty man all the time. And if you put anything in front of me, unless it's room temp water, which I can I can kind of take or leave. But basically anything cold, I will, I will drink it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna drink all the room tap water. We are, We're good. You can have everything I see or too hot, right.
Speaker 1: I think it also has to do with the fact that I'm so sweaty that like my body is just naturally like ever since I was young, was always just like gotta get, gotta get more fluids, Go go, go, go go, so I can win chugging contests of lots of varieties. And it's not something I'm proud of. It's just a fact. Matt Lee tweeted, love kicking clicking on the new for you tabs so I can hear from both sides of the our juice people debate. Shout out to Matt Lee, thank you for your service stepping in for me when I was doing lunch day at my kid's school, which was lovely appreciate y'all. All right, you can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore Obrian. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have Facebook fan page and a website, Daily zeitgeist dot Com, where we post our episodes and our footnotes where we link off the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Hey, Miles, what song do we think people might enjoy?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I think it's time to do some some rapping, but some Japanese rap from this MC Miso Extra. She's like dope, she's rapping in Japanese, so I don't expect people to know the lyrics. But this track is called Great Taste. I think the production is super dope, the flow is super cool.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And yeah, for anybody who's trying to get into you know, some some some new kinds of rap, you know, from from the other side of the pond.
Speaker 1: Check out Meso Extra. You like that name, Miso Extra.
Speaker 2: I mean, the thing is she Japanese. You know, do whatever the fuck you want to do, you know what I mean? If you're gonna lean to that ship. It's funny because, like on our website, the font is like cup of noodles. So you know, it's I'm not sure what the nuances of your your artistic ubra, but yeah, it's me so extra.
Speaker 1: There was a sushi place by where I used to live in Santa Monica called Miso Fishy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I remember that place.
Speaker 1: I just bothered me a lot that that was what they went with because it first of all, have to play on Miso horny, I think, right of course. And then fishy is not what you want.
Speaker 2: Your sushi sushi. No, that means, that means it's straight up ship.
Speaker 1: I mean fishy is like bait, is like a bait chat that's what? Yeah, yeah, yeah, allow to be fishy.
Speaker 2: Yeah what's that?
Speaker 3: I think that's making fun of what?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: This is what you want, isn't it? You wanted to save me some horny and Tonio all right, so this is called fuktai. Now that's what we're gonna fucking call it. Are you happy? Are you happy?
Speaker 2: Here you go? Assholes? Oh so I'm just a background. She was born in Hong Kong, Japanese mom English father. I said, my mom has always raised me with a pride of being Japanese and taught me to really embrace that side of my culture. He's part of that is actually being able to speak Japanese and I'm proud of the fact that I'm able to occupy it duel space and it's in my DNA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard that part.
Speaker 2: You're fortunate in not being one thing and that translates into other aspects of your personality and that she calls it the miso first, so she's kind of an out there creative cool but yeah, I love it all right. Well.
Speaker 1: The Daily Zeit Guys are a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen your favorite show that is going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what's trending, and we'll talk to you all then bye.
Speaker 4: I