Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty, Armstrong and Gettie and he Armstrong and Jetty.
Speaker 2: So, last week in Los Angeles, a federal judge issued an order blocking the Trump administration from carrying out controversial immigration sweeps in seven southern California counties. Well, that order has no effect up here in Northern California, where we joined a Border Patrol strike team today here in the state Capitol as they went out and enforced immigration law.
Speaker 1: Let's get right to that video. Take a look.
Speaker 2: As soon as those border patrol agents pulled up to a local home depot, suspected illegal immigrants took off running in all directions. That then led to several foot pursuits and we saw about ten people arrested in this one single location.
Speaker 1: Now that's the home depot and Flora. The only reason I ever go over to Flora is because I go to PCP Motorsports a lot to get my motorcycles worked on and that sort of thing. But I'm over in that area and it is pretty uh Spanish speaking, heavily heavy over there, so it's not shocking and home depots have seemed to be a target really all across the country for so I've never actually done this, and I'm kind of surprised I haven't, because we've needed lots of workers out at the farm for a variety of things. But so you can just show up to the home depot and there's a bunch of Spanish speaking gentlemen hanging around the parking lot who are willing to work.
Speaker 3: Who you say, I need two guys for eight hours ex. Twenty dollars an hour whatever.
Speaker 1: And they probably aren't citizens of this land, uh, nor properly registered as visitors.
Speaker 3: That's what I've heard, Jack, But the governor of cal Unicornia, the man with more lust for the oval office than a teenage boy has for the touch.
Speaker 1: Of a female l presuming they're straight. We love everyone here.
Speaker 3: Gavy blasts away, trying to escape a court order stopping their reprehensible and illegal racial profiling and illegal rests in La Border Patrol came to Sacramento to spread more of their chaos and fear they should go do their jobs at the border. Interestingly, he posted that online and the comments were almost entirely Yeah, that's what we voted for.
Speaker 1: For them to do what they're doing. Another eighty twenty issue.
Speaker 3: Ah, and of course some of the local media, including the reprehensible Sacramento will be reported that one of the individuals captured by ICE is actually a citizen of the United States.
Speaker 1: But Bill Malugin explains why they did that.
Speaker 2: In the next clip, Border Patrol went on to tell us that record checks came back already on one one of those men, showing he's a felon with a prior conviction for fentanyl trafficking. Now, agents also chased down this man, a US citizen. This is after Border Patrol said he slashed the tire on one of their vehicles. Agents eventually took him to the ground where he appeared to lunch at one of the agents, causing him to get mace in the face and placed under arrest. As he was arrested, his wife was shouting that he's a US citizen. Agents responded, well, too bad, because he slashed our.
Speaker 1: Tire, mased in the fast. That's not the way you want to spend your weekend.
Speaker 3: You get to face mace in place under arrest.
Speaker 1: What do you want them to do? Well, so we got this text. This is kind of where I am on this. Somebody said, I don't believe the polls. We'll get into the latest poll that just came out a couple of hours ago where people are getting less happy with this. But this person texted, if we let in twenty million people, there's gonna be some pain getting them out, the country will be better for it. I think I heard this from Sarahzger on the Dispatch. She's lizes polls and issues and the different sort of stuff and then the actual long term effect versus just the polling at the time. I think ultimately the Republican Party and Trump will be benefit from dealing with this, even if the polling at the time doesn't look very good. For instance, right now, the latest Raids IPSOS poll out fifty four percent of people disagreed with the statement immigration arrests at places of work are good for the country. Fifty four disagreed, only twenty eight in support. That's a pretty big gap. But again, at the end of the day, I think people are going to reward the party that finally does something about illegal immigration.
Speaker 3: I think that's a really interesting point because you do tend to forget about some of the rough patches that took place as you're accomplishing an important goal. Once that goes accomplished, what I had another thought is important. Oh, I wish the Republicans were any good at messaging. It must be because Conservatives, generally speak, are individualists and we don't particularly like being told what to say. But why not have everybody respond with some version of the Democrats let twelve million. But whatever the good accurate number is during the Biden years or Biden plus abom or whatever, the Democrats let twelve million people into the country. It's not going to be easy to fix that. Bear with us.
Speaker 1: That's a good line, That's a great line. They should all be repeating that.
Speaker 3: You're right, yeah, yeah, And I actually do believe that poll because I think so many of us interact and all over the country with folks who maybe don't have their paperwork in order, but they're doing jobs and seem to be law abiding in the rest of it. The further you get down the road toward law abiding and tax paying, the less support you're going to have. But where the critical point is where you have so little support you have to stop.
Speaker 1: I don't know or how difficult it would be to separate those out that wouldn't take either way too long or costs way too much.
Speaker 3: One other talking point I wish the Republicans to your point I wish they would settle on, is if these so called sanctuary states would turn over the criminal illegal aliens to ICE, we wouldn't have to do this.
Speaker 1: Excellent point. That would be a winning message. Excellent point. There is a breakdown on the so only twenty eight percent of Americans are in support of going into these workplaces like the home depot down the street here, only twenty eight percent. But it's a pretty big divide. Only seven percent of Democrats while fifty six percent of Republicans. But I think only fifty six percent of Republicans is pretty striking, given the fact that I saw a different poll. Trump's approval among Republicans just overall is it ninety percent, ninety percent, but on this issue it drops down quite a lot. Overall, Trump's immigration approval rating is down to forty one in this poll. He was as eye as forty seven just a month ago. It's down to forty one. He could be in the thirties very soon. But you know, to use a very tired sort of phrase, he's gonna make an omelet you got to break some eggs. I don't know how you deal with this mess without having some pretty unfortunate stories out there.
Speaker 3: And maybe force the hand of the electorate and or the Congress to say, all right, all right, all right, all right, you've made your point. We need to enforce the law. But the laws are a little broad. It doesn't have support. Let's let's refine this, let's have better laws. To my point about sanctuary jurisdictions, though, I like this next clip, now heedy too.
Speaker 2: The Border Patrol chief in charge of this entire operation tells us the federal government can and will go wherever they want, even in this sanctuary state.
Speaker 4: Well, there is no sanctuary city. Sacramento is not a sanctuary city. The state of California is not a sanctuary state. There is no sanctuary anywhere.
Speaker 1: We'll be here.
Speaker 4: You'll probably see us in many of the locations as well. We're here to stay. We're not going anywhere. We're going to affect this mission, scare the homeland. So did the Supreme Court decide to take that up? Nor did I dream that were you gonna finally deal with that? Is there such thing that guy's basically saying there's no such thing as a sanctuary city or a sanctuary state, and there is there shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to say next session, it's on the docket. Maybe I dreamt it too. That'd be weird if we're dreaming the same dreams. I'm quitting the show's gone too far. Yeah, exactly, I'm disturbed, but mostly I don't watch. You see, in my dreams, some of them can get very well, let's just say not for air.
Speaker 1: It's like briefly when we were getting each other's notes in our note portion of our iPhones. Remember that, What the hell was that? Yeah? I don't even remember.
Speaker 3: Highly troubling, Yeah, no kidding. Anyway, moving along, let's see what else do we have. Oh, this is kind of foun how come.
Speaker 1: That hasn't been set out loud more strongly by more people. There's no such thing as a sanctuary, So you can't have a sanctuary from the current federal law. That's not a thing, or you could, or or red states would start having sanctuary gun law, we allow people to get open carry here just anywhere they want, all the time, and you can have as many rounds as you want. That because we're a sanctuary gun in town.
Speaker 3: Right right again. The Republicans are so terrible with their messaging. It seems to me a pretty compelling sales pitch to say, look, we're just going to deal with the criminals. We need law enforcement everywhere to hand over the criminals and see what percentage of Americans are in favor of that. This is gonna be like everybody and at the same time, and trust me, well, anybody who's been listening to this show for a long time knows tim as hardcore border security serious immigration laws as anybody out there. But on the conservative side of the aisle, there is undeniably sympathy for the hard working go getter who disrupts their whole life, busts their ass, shows up every single day, follows the law, pays their taxes, loves their family, just happens to be from a fur in land. If they want to come correct and pay a fine or whatever and have a pathway to whatever. There's a lot of sympathy for those people on the right, and there should be. Maybe we can enact a law wherefore every person like that who we permit to stay in the country, we kick out some free loading scumbags who are American citizens.
Speaker 1: I don't care what they are. You're born in Omaha, but you're living off the taxpayer. Yeah, get out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're's the third generation sucking off the government's teeth.
Speaker 1: Please, no, you're out.
Speaker 5: Go to that.
Speaker 1: I'm a citizen. Well, go be a citizen somewhere else. You're a leech. Go to that El Salvador prison where they make you bend over and walk around. Well no, wait a minute, there are other alternatives, but call it. Call it what would it be?
Speaker 3: The the go getters for sit downers act.
Speaker 1: No, that's not good. I gotta keep working on it. But you get the point. I have a list of some people you can grab. I gotta hear you. I hear you. Put me in charge. I'll be fair. You probably are on the story of the Chris Martin of Coldplay does the kiss cam and the guy kisses the girl but they're having an affair and they get caught and it becomes a problem. He is a CEO of a big company, and he put out a big statement yesterday that I thought was interesting. Well, you know, put that in our groupings of apologies that we we like to read.
Speaker 3: Yeah, interesting, is one word for his statement, among other things, on the way stay.
Speaker 6: Here, the Steve Miller Band has canceled all of its tour dates because of global warming. Oh god, yeah, organizers admit it's a waste of fuel to go from Phoenix, Arizona, all the way to Tacoma, Philadelphia, Atlanta, LA.
Speaker 1: Why are you clapping for that? What he is? The A plus policeman, different concert. I can't believe cold Play with Chris Martin because he's a very u progressive musician. You know, he's married to Gwyneth Paltrow. They named their kid Apple. They believed in what was that conscious uncoupling or whatever the whole package. That's right, But he's still touring despite climate change. And I can't believe how much attention the story is getting. The whole you've probably heard it, are you're seeing it? If you watched any news yesterday. It included the story of the they do a kiss cam at their concerts like they do it baseball games, I guess, and uh, they put they put the camera on a couple who like immediately gets wide eyed and like disappear, and Chris Marcus.
Speaker 3: Usually couples see themselves and say, oh, let's kiss. It's the kiss cam and everybody yy. But this couple's like, holy crap, and everybody's yay. So here's what it sounded like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, all right, come on, Ruthie. What either an affair or they're just very shut Yeah, you're right. They're either having an affair. They're very shy. The CEO of this corporation with the HR chief of his company. They're both married to other people, and uh, pretty bold in their affair. I would say to go out to this concert anyway. He felt the need because this blew up all day yesterday and social media. A statement from CEO Andy Byron, New York, New York, July seventeen. I want to acknowledge the moment that's been circulating online and the disappointment it's caused what was supposed to be a night of music and joy. Oh wow, I couldn't even when I read that, I thought, I can't believe this is where you're starting. What was supposed to be a night of music and joy turned into a deeply personal mistake playing out on a very public stage. I want to sincerely apologize to my wife, my family, and the team at Astronomery that's the company he runs. You deserve better for me as a partner, as a father, and as a leader. Wow, that's he's right. It has caused some disappointment. I love that word.
Speaker 3: His wife must be thinking, oh, he's having an affair and actually going out with her on the town.
Speaker 1: That's disappointing.
Speaker 3: And his children are thinking, oh, Papa has another wife across town.
Speaker 1: I too, am disappointed or our family is going to split up and having been through that, this will be the most devastating thing that's ever happened in my entire life as a child, and I'll never ever be the same afterwards. But how disappointing, how fun for everybody to see it happen on the Cold Play stage. This is ironic that it was supposed to be a night of music and joy. That's a weird way to look at it. This is not who I want to be or how I want to represent the company I helped build. It's about the company. I'm taking time to reflect, to take accountability, and to figure out the next steps personally and professionally. I asked for privacy as I navigate that process. Well, he probably was thinking lawyers and hr and all that sort of stuff immediately, in addition to the fact that he may have blown up his family.
Speaker 3: Having already issued a fairly mediocre apology, he decides to write a little more.
Speaker 1: This is the part's amazing. I also want to express how troubling it is that what should have been a private moment became public without my consent. Oohoo, So you're kind of angry at someone else for the way this has turned out interesting. I respect artists and entertainers, but I hope we can all think more deeply about the impact of turning someone else's life into a spectacle. You were literally in an effing stadium full of people. In what sense is that a private moment? That is hilarious? Sir, I can't believe that with a little bit like rereading it, he thought, he didn't think. You know, I probably shouldn't blame anybody for this, because I have created this situation completely on my own, acting like it's someone else's fault somehow at the end of the letters, probably not a good idea, but I don't know. Maybe that helped him sleep last night, probably in a hotel. It's a great example of how we can come up with self justifying arguments that are just completely ridiculous, because I mean, for him to claim that was a private moment, that's hilarious, but he believed it enough to write it and issue it, or that that's the real or that that's worth even bringing up at all. So if Chris Martin hadn't put the camera on you, you'd been able to have your affair and go to the concert with your lover and continue both of you lie to your families. And wouldn't that have been grand? I mean, what, wow, what a dope.
Speaker 3: Anyway, coming up, they call them the monster trucks of the Lake. They're banned in many places, and a brilliant young economist explains the economics of doing it yourself or not doing it yourself.
Speaker 1: Intriguing stuff. I like all this. Stay tuned, Armstrong and Getty, And finally, today Uber announced a partnership to deploy more than twenty thousand robotaxis over the next six years.
Speaker 6: Lyft also has a robotaxi, but it's just a regular car where the driver's covered by a blanket.
Speaker 1: That's interesting that he makes it seem Likelyft is a poor man's Uber where I was told a couple of years ago and I struggled with Uber that somebody told me no, no, no, you got to dot Lift is Target, Uber is Walmart. But then other people have told me it varies from town to town, which might be true or maybe it's all, but it's certainly not clear that Lift is like clearly lesser than Uber. I have looked for patterns and not to find them. No, I can't either, although the price office sure varies a lot sometimes so I do check both. If one comes back high, yeah, absolutely true. But that's another pattern I haven't been able to figure out. If it's just if it just happens to be a day where there's a bunch of.
Speaker 3: Lift drivers out. Yeah, but a lot of guys are both anyway. Sure there's somebody who has a grasp on this. Perhaps you can email us mail bag at armstrong e Giddy dot com. But speaking of working and paying the people to do things to work for you, I came across this essay that I thought was so great by Roland Friar. Roland is a fascinating guy. He's an absolutely brilliant Youngish economist. He happens to be on the faculty of Harvard. Among other things, he's won many awards. He first came to fame as a young black man because he published an extremely compelling analysis in twenty nineteen that we talked about at length arguing that black and Hispanic Americans were no more likely than white Americans to be shot by police in a given interaction with police.
Speaker 1: In fact, it was somewhat less likely.
Speaker 3: And that was extremely controversial, and he was called all of the things black folks are called when they dare go.
Speaker 1: Against the progressive consensus.
Speaker 3: But he's a really compelling guy and what he's writing it do you have a comment on that, Jack before before you head or Okay, he's talking about the economics of d IY do it yourself? Should you hire someone to mow your lawn or clean your house? And I thought this is great and we'll close the CENTERIC. Oh yeah, I know, and it's trust me, it pays off. We'll post this at Armstrong and getty dot com. You might get paywalled, but we'll see what we can do. He mentions that Americans are real di wires. We clean our own houses a large extent, assemble our own furniture a grill, even when we'd be better off hiring someone else.
Speaker 1: He says they are better off is a phrase that should be put in quotes, because he can argue that that's the whole point of this.
Speaker 3: Indeed, still I mow my lawn and cook most nights for my family, even though I work eighty to ninety hours a week, not counting my side hustle as an unpaid driver in sideline soccer coach for my two daughters. I'm an economist able to think through these decision decisions rationally.
Speaker 1: Yet here we are.
Speaker 3: When a friend invited me to play golf and I declined because the yard needed mowing, he couldn't hide his disbelief. Quote, you can pay someone to cut your lawn, you can't pay someone to have fun for you. He meant it as a joke. I took it as an indictment. He was calling me out on one of the most basic principles in economics, opportunity cost, meaning the things you give up when you spend your resources, including time and money, on something else. If I choose to be an astronaut, I have given up my chance to be an interpretive dancer, at least.
Speaker 1: For a while. I think that was a good choice.
Speaker 3: If I if I have limited money, explored space as opposed to world around in random ways and claimed it meant something so opportunity costs meaning the things you give up when you spend your resources, including time and money, on something else.
Speaker 1: Was he right?
Speaker 3: Maybe, But a truly economics informed approach to dy is more nuanced than it seems. It gets really interesting. It's tempting to treat decisions like this as simple arithmetic. Add up the cost of hiring help, compare it with your hourly wage, voila. In that light, it does seem crazy for a tenured professor to mow his lawn. Yes, I talked about this a year or so ago.
Speaker 1: Scott Linskim, who does the financial stuff economic stuff for the Dispatch, wrote a Colosscott long piece about that opportunity cost that really kind of convinced me toward hiring more people. Though I don't know that I have which I have a feeling this is where we're going, and I want to hear the rest of this. I bet you're right. Let's see. It's it's tempting to.
Speaker 3: Treat decisions like this simple arithmetic, as he says, it seems even crazier to do what I did as a broke grad student when I hired a daily housekeeper so I could stay focused on what mattered most research, writing, teaching, in the occasional video game, when I wasn't consumed with the first three. But that isn't really thinking like an economist. And he's one of the leaders in economics moving from this single minded idea that human beings are purely logical and purely you know, economic in terms of dollars and cents numbers, and that's the only thing that matters. It seems laughable in retrospect that that's the way economics thought for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. You know, if you were going to go with that logic, no one would ever have kids because economically it does make sense. Right.
Speaker 3: Decision making is about considering the full set of options and how much you value each one. Sometimes you may find yourself mowing the lawn when you can afford not to, or paying more than your hourly wage to hire help. Other economic concepts can illustrate why one diminishing marginal returns. The value of an extra hour isn't fixed. It depends on what came before it. If you've been working all weekend and finally carve out a free hour mowing the lawn might feel like a punishment, and avoiding that punishment would be especially valuable. But if you spent the weekend relaxing or playing with your kids, that same hour might feel restorative. The activity hasn't changed you have. He's mentioned speaking of uber and left as we were. When I've been traveling too much and I haven't seen my daughters, I'll sometimes take an uber with them instead of driving, just so we can sit in the back and catch up.
Speaker 1: Oh to me, that's money well spent. That's cute. That's sweet, isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that brings me to a third economic layer, to consider American beliefs about identity and morality.
Speaker 1: I think this is maybe what you were hinting at, Jack.
Speaker 3: We attach pride to doing things ourselfs, and pride has value too. For some of us, mowing the lawn isn't only about the grass, time or money.
Speaker 1: It's about what it says about us.
Speaker 3: It signals I take care of my things, I don't rely on others, I'm not above the work. Sometimes I wonder if I'm pushing that more out of principle or because I want others to see me pushing it. I resisted hiring anybody to help with lawng cair, landscaping, plants, trees, etc. For a very long time for precisely that reason, and I had to admit it. And I had some fairly complicated yards that took so much time and energy it was indefensible.
Speaker 1: But I was doing it out of pride. That's interesting. I think he also got a factor in what it signals to your kids. And I don't know which side of this a person would be on. You might feel like you should signal to your kids, don't waste your time on the lawn, or you might I feel like I'm closer to this need to signal to my kids, I mowed the freaking lawn right and that noscle you on the lawn.
Speaker 3: I do what has to be done, whether I like it or not. Maybe the most important muscle any human being ever develops. In fact, I know it is beneath our pride lurks. The opportunity cost. My friend chided me about a cost that too few people consider seriously. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Americans spend two hours a day on household activities like cooking, cleaning, laundry and yard work. That's more time than we spend exercising or socializing. We should probably buy more of that time back, even if it means swallowing a little pride. Not everyone can or should outsources DIY activities, of course, but a great many people perform these tasks out of habit, inertia, or guilt and would be better off spending the money to get help.
Speaker 1: Well, I just one. I enjoy mowing the lawn. I just I don't think I couldn't. I don't have a lawn currently. I don't own a how so, but if I did own the house I have, I would mold al on myself. But there's other stuff, like our agent's always on me because every time I'm talking to them about personal life Stuff's just the amount of paperwork that I have to do is the loane. I'm the head of the household, and the household I'm the only person. I should hire somebody for that. I should not be spending my time hours trying to log into a website pay a stupid bill crap. Somebody should be doing that for me. That's just a waste of my life. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the sentence about many people perform these tasks out of habit, inertia or guilt, and would be better off spending the money to get help.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That reminds me of one of the great divides I think that you can observe in society. The left generally is big on trust your feelings, and the right is more on, you know, observe your feelings, but think about them. Your feelings are irrational and unhelpful, at least as often as they are you know, or you know, maybe it's sixty forty or forty sixty, it doesn't matter. But the idea that your feelings are always right and you should always trust them. Yeah, yeah, my husband kind of pissed me off. I'm gonna blast him and tell him exactly what I think of him. No, don't trust that feeling. It'll be gone in like ten seconds anyway. Here are some examples Roland writes of how to think through this decision these decisions Like an economist. Jane is a corporate lawyer and workaholic. Not enough hours in her day. Her rare moments are free time or precious She's got cash to burn for her paying someone to clean the house or prepared dinner isn't indulgence, it's common sense.
Speaker 1: That's an easy one.
Speaker 3: Heather is short on both time and money, and hiring a cleaner would cost more than she makes it work. Usually she hates cleaning or needs that time for something urgent, she's probably better off doing it herself. That isn't a failure. It's the most rational choice given her circumstances. Yeah, unless she really hates cleaning or needs that time, she's better off doing it herself.
Speaker 1: I did want to throw this in because we're gonna get a whole bunch of texts about this, because the last time we wrote it up about you know you and your effing yachts or whatever, about people who this is an option for Yeah, for a big giant chunk of my life. I didn't worry about these conversations because I wasn't an option to hire anybody to do anything. Ever, So you have to be in a situation where it's an option. So he gave you a pretty easy one on both ends. John is a middle class dad with modest savings and limited flexibility at work. If he wants extra time at home, he can't simply clock out early. He pays the cleaner more than he makes per hours, so on paper, it doesn't seem to add up. Yet it buys him time to read to his kids, or help with homework, or simply be less stressed after a long shift. It might be the smartest money he spends all week. He isn't maximizing his present disposable income, but he's boosting his lifetime utility. Yeah, that's where I was. I'm getting a person to clean the house, which I still rubs me the wrong way. It just it's not in my DNA. But it became clear to me that it was cutting into time with the kids to do various things. And I can't justify that. If I were on my own, no freaking way, I would be higher. Now I was cleaner to do this, I would do it myself. But I just I couldn't. I couldn't justify saying I'm sorry, I can't go for a bike ride. I got to finish this laundry. I just I couldn't. I couldn't justify that. But it does bother me. My kids sometimes have a bit of an attitude about the house cleaner didn't do something right or whatever, and I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I don't that I totally hear you. You are absolutely justified in hiring a housekeeper. Are your kids absolutely justified in having one?
Speaker 1: No? I know what a quandary.
Speaker 3: I don't even like to admit that Judy and I have a house cleaner, especially because she does not get along with our butler at all.
Speaker 1: Two of them. They have a thing going way back. There's just no solving it.
Speaker 3: And and Sleeve Boy, my servant who merely buttons the little button that's like mid arm that's so difficult to button. He hears them bickering and he can't concentrate on his work, and then I have to punish him.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, just cite a long running joke on the Armstrong a Gedddy show. I have known people, you know, and it's none of my business. I have known people that complain to me about their financial situation and have people that do this stuff. And I think, Okay, your paycheck to paycheck, you're barely making it. Don't have someone clean your house. Maybe do it yourself. But you know what, wh he's they're on Michael. I just remember Joe has that guy who's a footstool as well. Oh yeah, remember the human footstools, right, he's part time.
Speaker 3: He's just during, you know, the latter part of the week when I'm getting tired and really need a footstool and the adjustable kind of mechanical kind aren't good enough. I like to be able to say footstool boy, footstool boy when it comes.
Speaker 1: With you, backup slightly higher, please, thank you, comes with you, whatever room you go into, it's very Yeah, footstool boy. We're moving to the den now. Oh my god, that is the worst any thoughts in any of this text line four one, five two nine KFTC. We are thrilled to have you here.
Speaker 5: Alcatraz Prison the Rock an infamous symbol of law and order in American history, and President Trump wants it reopened.
Speaker 1: It could hold anything. This is a terrific facility needs a lot of work.
Speaker 5: Fox News joined Attorney General Pam Bondi and Interior Secretary Doug Bergham for an exclusive tour of the rock, now part of a national park.
Speaker 7: Alcatraz Is is the brand known around the world uh for being a effective at housing people that are in incarceration.
Speaker 3: Pam Bondy and Doug Bergham are both very bright people, and to hear them struggling to come up with any explanation whatsoever of what they're doing is hilarious.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm just keeping it real.
Speaker 3: As the kids say, actually traveled Alcatraz is amazing.
Speaker 1: It could hold anything. She says, actually traveled clear across the country, then had to take the boat out Talcatraz in San Francisco to vis just a key aspect of the question before us.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 1: Then act like this is gonna happen. Okay, any who just came across this story.
Speaker 3: You know, the truth is very briefly, Alcatraz is much much more significant as a tourist location than as a prison. It was a prison for relatively short amount of time, and it captures the imagination because it's remote and you take a boat ride out there and it's fun.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about CBS firing Colbert. That's an interesting one if it was financial and not political. Man, the timing shirt certainly doesn't work in your favor for that narrative. But I want to talk about this at some point. Australia is the first major country clearing the path for a social media age checks, or really age checks of any kind online that they think will work, which obviously you could apply to social media and porn and all kinds of different things. Maybe we'll talk about that a little bit later. I came across this thread I thought was really good. I was actually actually from Matt Tybee, who we really liked, the journalist Matt Tybee. He just said, post your favorite NPR ridiculousness. I love that. On the day that the taxpayer funding for NPR and PBS got ya, and the mainstream and left is claiming like it's some sort of attack on free speech or whatever. Good lord. Actually, Tom Cotton, Senator Tom Cotton, Republican, said this would be like yanking the funding if there was taxpayer funding from bright Bart News and it got yanked. Except for Bred, he said, except for Breitbart's closer to mainstream than NPR is. I haven't read breit Bart regularly in a long time, but NPR is so far out there it's unbelievable. Anyway, here's just some examples, people bringing up old tweets or whatever. This is probably the biggest one. From a couple of years back. The NPR Public editor tweeted out, why haven't you seen any stories from NPR about the New York Post? Hunter Biden story read more in this week's newsletter, in which he said, we don't want to waste our time on stories that are not really stories, and we don't want to waste the listeners and readers time on stories that are just pureist actions about the Hunter Biden laptop. Nice job, NPR. Here's one from NPR. A new pole finds forty percent of respondents believe in a baseless conspiracy theory that the coronavirus was created in a lab in China. There's zero evidence for this. Scientists say the virus was transmitted to humans from another species. Thank you for that one, NPR. Oh, this is a good one that held up well about emojis a while back. Some white people may choose to use the yellow thumbs up emoji because it feels neutral, but academics argue it's actually racist and is trying to get away from your white privilege.
Speaker 3: Hows an NPR story. People have no idea how hilarious you are.
Speaker 1: They're the network that says LATINX Armstrong and Getty