Speaker 1: School of Humans.
Speaker 2: This podcast is based on the true story of explorer, inventor, visionary, and science pioneer Tom Slick. Some of the story elements, names, and characters have been altered for dramatic purposes. Consider using headphones to enhance your listening experience. We've created an immersive soundscape to tell our story.
Speaker 3: Okay, how many tapes did you find?
Speaker 4: Three?
Speaker 5: They were in this box of letters sent to your granddad. Did you know that he and President Eisenhower tried to get in on the space race after Russia landed Sputnik?
Speaker 3: Crazy that tracks, But the stuff we're listening to.
Speaker 5: Now, Yeah, what was that voice membo you sent at like two am about some secret ops thing.
Speaker 1: Come on, there's a gun on my dad's head right now.
Speaker 5: What did you say?
Speaker 6: We're listening to a tape from granddad's expedition in the Himalayas.
Speaker 5: Okay, you found more Yetti tapes.
Speaker 7: I knew it.
Speaker 5: I knew it.
Speaker 8: I'll see you in two hours.
Speaker 5: Don't forget to shower. All eyes are on you tonight for that opening speech, which you've written.
Speaker 3: Almost I'm off finally I'm hitting play.
Speaker 4: Tom Slick February fourth, nineteen fifty eight. I'm here sharing a whiskey with my assailant and devoted partner.
Speaker 7: But I wasn't really gonna kill it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know, and I wasn't really going to kill you.
Speaker 3: He's ayes, mom, shush, I lived with suspense.
Speaker 1: Turn it up, mister Tom, I set according. It's mister Dulles, ask.
Speaker 4: For you're a good man, Dawa. What's our lead time?
Speaker 1: We have a week and a half to lay the groundwork for the Tibet Task Force.
Speaker 4: So this Dulles really expects us to run a full on hunt while trying to save the ducks us not.
Speaker 9: Why the trees listening? Hey, we refer to him Islama X. Okay, he's a national treasure for the Tibetan people and he's been a target for China since they invaded the country eight years ago.
Speaker 4: Oh why is this Islama such a big deal?
Speaker 9: Because the Chinese have heard only one name, puncture the final breath of their victims.
Speaker 10: What was that?
Speaker 4: The battle cry of resurrection?
Speaker 9: Lama X is an emblem of hope to his people. I mean, he personifies the promise of life after death.
Speaker 10: You Americans are selfish busts.
Speaker 1: Why don't you care.
Speaker 4: Like I said, Lama x is a national treasure.
Speaker 9: We're greedy bastards too.
Speaker 4: But we don't do the saving right.
Speaker 9: Nope, Dolls has a task force going after the Lama. We're just laying the groundwork for the route through the Himalayas.
Speaker 7: So even if we don't find Agetti, still making history Unwritten history.
Speaker 10: Chapter five.
Speaker 11: This is the mostly true tale of Tom Slick, mystery hunter.
Speaker 4: Tom Slick February nineteenth, nineteen fifty eight. Ten days until we hit Tibet. We've met up with one of the other two teams. They're turning back with the dogs. One is injured, the other i'llnourished.
Speaker 1: Tell that to my empty gut.
Speaker 4: Still no sign of our Yetti, but we got the tranquilizer gun now and we are at the ready.
Speaker 9: Can you smell that?
Speaker 1: That's stench that's used Slick.
Speaker 9: We're getting close.
Speaker 4: Tom Slick February twenty first, nineteen fifty eight. Eight days till Tibet, A bear eight three fourths of our food rations, so we'll have to stock up in Tibet before we head back out. Nothing to report on the YETI front. I'm disappointed, but I hold on to hope. Tom Slick February twenty second, nineteen fifty eight. Seven days till t Bet. Our only other team in the field has gone dark. It's been two days since our last correspondence. Maybe they ran into our yetdie. We certainly haven't, and I'm starting to think Bud's right. I stink. Tom Slick, February twenty third, nineteen fifty eight. Six days till.
Speaker 12: Damn it Slick.
Speaker 4: We've just intercepted with the other team. They lost two men and as you can hear, you know.
Speaker 1: But it's scientific investigation.
Speaker 9: The mountain has broken the others.
Speaker 1: You're a mad mad chize it into five tired.
Speaker 4: Tom Slick, February twenty fourth, nineteen fifty eight. Five days till Tibet. We have nothing to eat. Bud is out scrounging up game. Well, sit and starve. This morning we trekt a grueling rounde through an unexpected mass of trees. I thought I saw.
Speaker 9: It the YETI, but when I shouted, it vanished a figment of some way I believed was real. Tom Slick February twenty fifth, nineteen fifty eight. Four days until Tibet. Still O YETI.
Speaker 10: Ain't on no hope.
Speaker 9: February twenty seventh, nineteen fifty eight.
Speaker 10: There's nothing to report.
Speaker 9: I'm recording this to remind myself I'm still here, because well I've lost everything, men, money, my mind. These Himalayas were my Oklahoma oil field, and the YETI was my gusher. But unlike my father, I gambled with.
Speaker 8: Luck and lost.
Speaker 9: Good God, did you hear that slick?
Speaker 13: Was that?
Speaker 4: Yes? The sound is sweet, sweet pctory.
Speaker 10: Let's go, come on, let's get her.
Speaker 1: Yetti always shuts off the good parts.
Speaker 13: Wait.
Speaker 6: Blair found one of these expedition tapes at the institute.
Speaker 9: I dambled with uck and lost. So what happens?
Speaker 6: They're running after what Grandad thinks is the yetti and it's chaos and everyone starts screaming.
Speaker 8: It sounded like they were running.
Speaker 9: Away from something.
Speaker 4: Well that's boring.
Speaker 1: Come on, let's just see if one of these last tapes can tell us what happened.
Speaker 4: I have twenty minutes before the pest control guy comes at the back.
Speaker 1: He's holding my addic hostage, and they're more boxes up there I need to go through.
Speaker 8: Let's just get through this one first, Okay.
Speaker 4: Bud, you alive?
Speaker 9: Oh relly mister tom your leg or through it or the other men.
Speaker 1: Tashi and Doma were consumed by the avalanche.
Speaker 4: Damn it is there any way save them.
Speaker 1: There is no chance they survived, good man.
Speaker 10: But you, me and mister.
Speaker 1: Budd ran toward the how which took us away from the avalanche's path. You say, are you saying the Yetty guided us? No, mister tom the Yetti saved us. Are you kidding me? We lose good men? Dogs bood.
Speaker 7: Tommy, we've had a change of plans.
Speaker 4: So have we two days away from Tibet. Now, I'm telling you we need an additional forty eight hours here in the Arun Valley. We're close, dolls, and the Yetti knows it.
Speaker 7: I don't give a shit. I have forty eight hours for you to get your ass Tibet, locate Lama X and get him.
Speaker 8: Out of there.
Speaker 4: What about your task force?
Speaker 7: Whatever avalanche came through there the past few hours, it knocked out their route through Baton. They have no clear path forward, but you do.
Speaker 4: Oh, so we're in George of Lama X's escape.
Speaker 7: Now, yeah, lucky.
Speaker 9: Tommy, You remember at the beginning of all of this, when you told me Lama X could help me find my yetti.
Speaker 7: Vaguely, What did you mean? Do you believe in the magic?
Speaker 10: Now? What am I saying?
Speaker 11: You believe anything?
Speaker 7: I don't see magic is a flight of hand, which is what I plan. But there have been things I've witnessed that make me question everything. And Lama X, he's wonderful.
Speaker 1: He bost it, mister budd, I think you broke it good.
Speaker 10: I hate that guy.
Speaker 7: Go here over, Oh he had a forty eight hours.
Speaker 8: Over it's Batman.
Speaker 2: Sure he's never heard that before.
Speaker 1: And go ahead and listen to the last two days. I know you want to get through him before you write your speech for tonight. Oh, I heard the Governor's coming. Shit, I'm sorry coming, Google?
Speaker 6: Can you write a speech about Tom Slick Junior.
Speaker 12: Tom Slick Junior was an oil air businessman, philanthropist, adventurer, author, and inventor who impacted the world with his scientific pursuits.
Speaker 6: That's it, Google, Is there anything else about Tom Slick?
Speaker 12: I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Would you like me to play a pimp named slickback fin?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 8: No, off, Google off?
Speaker 6: Okay, So maybe I'll just say something my speech.
Speaker 13: Like tonight we celebrate the legacy of a man who, as you know, sought to uncover the many mysteries of science through this.
Speaker 6: Institute and the other two he founded.
Speaker 7: My good s boring.
Speaker 14: But but if that's what you know, what you don't know is that Tom Slick the man might just be one of the greatest unsolved mysteries.
Speaker 3: Until now.
Speaker 6: Tonight, for the first time ever, we are going to reveal the unwritten history of the most interesting.
Speaker 8: Man you thought you knew.
Speaker 3: Tom Slick Junior, I don't know something like that.
Speaker 4: Tom Slick. March third, nineteen fifty eight. We arrived in Tibet maybe six hours ago, and we were greeted by a mob of Tibetan protesters and rebels. Hey watch it, you have no concept personal space. Excuse me, ma'am, you're shout directly in my ear. The mob led us to our target, Lama X. We're now in front of his palace, which looks to be protected by a flimsy gait and this swarm of just lunatic Tibetans. There's human shield apparently.
Speaker 1: Hey wow, that was my foot.
Speaker 4: No, no, no need to apologize. I've got another one, mister Tom.
Speaker 1: I just got work from mister Dunnas the Lama X refused the Chinese general's invitation to the dance.
Speaker 11: The dance that's a doft cover for a kidnapping Lamo X appreciates dancing, it's still fucking doft.
Speaker 1: So if the Lama you'll not go to them.
Speaker 11: The Chinese are a coming.
Speaker 9: They're already here. Look, hill Cark, can I get through the mob surrounding them a peaceful shake?
Speaker 4: Okay, Look, Gaba, they can't hold them off for lng. We need to get inside and grab Lama As. Yes, mister tum Bud, you stay here. Keep that Chinese military out of the palace as long as you can.
Speaker 2: Can I shoot them if.
Speaker 4: You want to start World War three?
Speaker 1: Now am I supposed to do?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 4: Look? I can't do everything.
Speaker 10: Okay, there we go.
Speaker 4: You've got a backpack full of yetti traps in a crowd of angry Tibetans. Improvide the way I always do.
Speaker 6: Blair, you're getting good at this calling thing. Where are you about to jump in the shower? I'm almost done listening to the tapes.
Speaker 5: We have six hours until the event live.
Speaker 6: Well, I have a speech, and I'm pretty sure you're gonna like it.
Speaker 5: That's the Anta tapes turning you into a believer.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's not the yetti I'm gonna expose.
Speaker 5: Oh cryptic, I like it. Do you need me to read anything?
Speaker 6: Well, technically it's not written. It's just a voice memo right now and.
Speaker 5: My hives are back.
Speaker 13: Do you hear that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the shower.
Speaker 6: Okay, if you want me to wash my hair and shave my legs before the event tonight, I gotta go.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I'll.
Speaker 6: See you in an hour.
Speaker 3: Or maybeen an hour and a half.
Speaker 4: That's gonna leave a bump.
Speaker 1: Did we kill him, mister Tom?
Speaker 4: No, No, he's knocked out. It's a sedative Dawa, but it was made for a YETI, So I think we have time, Tom Slick March third, continue Dawa and I just took out three Tibetan rebels there to protect Lama x. I guess they didn't get the memo that we're here to do the same thing, because one of them nearly took my ear off with a serrated knife.
Speaker 9: But I've siphoned our monster tranquilizer gun into MINISERI, and that Quory became Damas dark Board.
Speaker 8: We'll Chinese just showed up.
Speaker 14: They're armed with rifles.
Speaker 4: It's our front. They won't use them.
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 4: Is the mob still holding them off?
Speaker 7: They're part of the problem.
Speaker 4: If the Chinese, I will take the palace. If mob will be right behind them, it'll be mass chaos.
Speaker 14: There's no way we'll get our hands.
Speaker 4: On lama As.
Speaker 1: Then mister Tom behind you, Oh Tom.
Speaker 4: Dower Dory, Now.
Speaker 1: Did we kill him? Mister Tom?
Speaker 4: You gotta ask that every time? What was there?
Speaker 9: It came from ups there?
Speaker 4: Come on, take the stairs. I'll lead, yes, mister.
Speaker 1: Tom, mister Tom ah.
Speaker 10: The sticks said, Booby is trapped with exploss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got that. Okay, excellent, Look daa that stair one might be a minefield, but it's also a clue.
Speaker 1: What mister tomb Mama X is close?
Speaker 4: Slick, come in, don't find.
Speaker 9: Another way up?
Speaker 14: Yes, click list to night.
Speaker 4: What's going on out there?
Speaker 14: The Chinese just threw canisters of tear as into the mob, and I was.
Speaker 15: Able to use wires and ropes from our yetti traps on the palace gates so they'd be.
Speaker 4: Near impossible to open.
Speaker 8: Good news, it's working.
Speaker 4: Bad news with up the cake. These ropes won't hold up, Slick.
Speaker 13: Mister Tom, you need to get to Lama x now.
Speaker 4: Mister dumb Yes, daa, she said she knows you, Slick, Dominie. I thought we lost you to the Nazis.
Speaker 8: And I thought you wearing a real operative What I'm not.
Speaker 4: This is a brief detour from my Yetti hunt.
Speaker 12: Call my de.
Speaker 3: I'm here to help you.
Speaker 9: Is that Lama exa Dawa dawa?
Speaker 4: Do breathe breathe Daa breathe. He's a fan. What's with the pillowcase on the Llama's head?
Speaker 9: He was doing some crazy ships with his eyes, Like what have you ever seen.
Speaker 1: A chair without being touched?
Speaker 4: No, but I'd like to not if he's chasing you, Slick. They they made it through the.
Speaker 7: Case, Blair.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm coming.
Speaker 12: Hey is this Olivia Slick?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Who's this?
Speaker 12: I'm a journalist and I'm like really excited about this yetty hunt story and your your grandfather.
Speaker 5: I heard that you found some tapes. Oh is that true?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I have a bad connection.
Speaker 10: Hey, shit, Tom Slick.
Speaker 11: Mystery Hunter is a production of School of Humans and iHeart Podcasts, starring Owen Wilson as Tom Slick, Cissy Spasic as Claire Slick, Skyler.
Speaker 10: Fisk as Live Slick.
Speaker 11: Written and directed by Caroline Slaughter, story editor Jeb Stewart. Executive produced by Owen Wilson, Sissy Spasic, Skyler Fisk, Jeb Stewart, Caroline Slaughter, Brian Lavin, l C. Crowley, Brandon Barr, and Virginia Prescott. Produced and assistant directed by hi Ilia Brock. Original score, sound design, mixing and mastering by Jesse Niswanger. Casting by Daisy Church and Caroline Slaughter, SAG coordination by Daisy Church and Julia Christgau. Promo and trailers by Carl Catel. Special thanks to Catherine Nixon Cook. Recording engineers are Tyler Klang and Casey Pegram. For iHeartMedia.
Speaker 15: Episode five, cast Ian Shaw as Bud, Dave Willis as Alan Dulles, Vince Canless as Dawa, Ava Davis as Blair, Selinez Taribio as Dominique, tim Heller as Slick's team member, Susma Resboncy as Lama ex protester, Julia Chris Gaw as the Journalist and the Google Voice Assistant, Mike Schatz as the Voice of God and the introductory voiceover with additional roles voice by David Devrees, Michael Mao, and Phil Clark. Additional audio assembly by Noah Kamer. Executive producer for iHeartMedia is Maya Howard.
Speaker 2: If you're enjoying the show, share it with everyone you know, and don't forget to rate and review in your favorite podcast app. Tune in again next week wherever you get your most thrilling adventure stories