Speaker 1: Well, well, well, the day has come and I've been waiting. We've been waiting, You've been waiting, We've all been waiting. Even my mother has been waiting. Because NBA Action has returneth and the regular season hath kick off. We're going to react to opening night and over tonight it was for me and my fellow Lakers fans, and we're also gonna get into some of the latest news and notes from around the league. And we're gonna do that all with podcaster and Spurs analyst Tom Patrini on today's episode. I'm Miles Gray and I'm producer Bori in for Jack and this is Miles. Miles got man, Man, we got the back, DoD Sorry, got it? Look a doit, hitch. Ok there you go, be driving spinning Fat number eighteen that's been secured the Suffix or NBA Champions over the double Ta. Okay, So Top Petrini, you're back after a little over a year. It's great to have your reporter for the Silver and Black Coffee Hour. And as you admitted, I remember before he said, Wow, I'm so glad. I didn't know if you guys going to have you back because I was bullish on the Spurs. Last time we were talking about the Southwest preview. I remember that, and that's fine because I didn't remember that. Most of us didn't remember that. But we all got to see Wemby and that's all that matters because his performance has erased any sort of predictions anyone may have had, because he delivered on the promise of being an alien. So and that's all we wanted to see.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad my takes are so forgettable, Miles, geez, but.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding you know what.
Speaker 2: I I think that the Wemby outperformed any reasonable expectations set for him and the and the expectation seems pretty unreasonable, and he cleared those two.
Speaker 1: You could have had some more blocks, Yeah, you know, a few more.
Speaker 2: He would have, except for guys kept doing this thing where they would drive and they wouldn't even be able to see him. They would just like know he was there right behind him somewhere, and they were like.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, that's a better idea.
Speaker 1: That should be a data point is the fear, the fear of the alien abduction. Basically what we call that you don't want to be in an open field at night with a white light hovering above you because that could be a block coming your way.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: It's also like when you were playing in a driveway against like an older sibling or like you're dad or somebody and you know they're coming, but you're.
Speaker 1: Still gonna Yeah. Yeah, you feel the shadow come over you in the street light because you're playing at night. I've already played this game before, but anyway, it's great to have you back. There's so much to talk about. I mean, just with the two opening night game first up, Celtics versus Knicks. I had the pleasure of being in New York City for about eleven hours yesterday for a work meeting. But the energy was I walked by Madison Square Garden on my way to Penn Station. The energy was great. There was like a lot of excited Knicks fans. There were like a ton of did you see that meme of the guy who wrote his wife a letter about watching the Knicks And he's like, dear wife, I know we have been together for twelve years, but I must confess something to you. And then you're like, what's going on? He's like, tonight is opening night for the Knicks. I will cease to be a husband. Or a father as I revel in the basketball opening night.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I didn't see that, And I gotta say, just like, as a man who's been in a relationship for a while and as somebody who has spent you know, I grew up in New York, I know what Knicks culture is. If you spend any time as a Knicks fan or a man in a relationship, you know how dumb an idea that letter is. Yeah, yeah, right, like yeah, don't is that any familiarity with either one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah? That was a straight Twitter play and you may have played yourself into a divorce or at least being the doghouse. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I saw tweets after, like I wonder how he felt like going into halftime, like should I call it? Like yeah, actually, you know what, babe, I thought about it, and it's like I'm a Giants fan, right okay? And Week one this year like like they gave me that little glimmer of hope right out of date and then like immediately smashed it to pieces in Week one And I was like, babe, you know what, if you want to do apple picking on Sundays, we can doday. There's a wonderful, clear, nice Sundays for the rest of fall. I don't give a damn Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah Tom. As a Raiders fan, trust saow and.
Speaker 4: It's always week one, I'm feeling like, hey, you know what, this might be our year.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, we talk ourselves into it.
Speaker 1: So Celtics, it's ringing. As a Lakers fan, I don't like to see the number be better than the one on the back of my jerseys, okay, and that is what has happened. And yes, Boston fans sip my tears because they are running down my face as I have to admit this. But yeah, I was like, let's see what happens, because I think going into this I was I think most people very excited about this new Knicks team and you know, the added pieces there. But at the same time, I'm like, this Celtics team does not look weaker at any point going into the season. And my fears were confirmed rather aggressively from the get I mean it was close to maybe the first ten minutes, I would say, and then slowly the three pointers did not stop, and I was absolutely I was texting Jabari. I was like, these guys are monsters and I don't know, how how do we stop them? Jack was saying, it's the same thing as last year. It's the Celtics versus the field, and that's what it looked like. How did you how did you take that in? Tom?
Speaker 3: I mean shout out to Wick grosspec Man.
Speaker 2: I mean, if if I ever had just a ton of money and it was like, oh we we you know, luxury tax, it'll be scary, Like I don't know, just like.
Speaker 3: Do it do it whatever?
Speaker 1: Dad?
Speaker 3: Yo?
Speaker 2: Like yoloa the hell out of this roster construction. And that's why there's such a unit. That's why they're they're just an absolute juggernaut. Like I mean sports guy here, Derek White, very you know, key addition, but like get to see Al Horford get his ring right, a guy who was like like a gigantic piece of that team that was I think super underrated.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 2: They are one of the best teams I have ever seen, one through eight, one through nine, like ever ever And yeah, I don't I don't know how you stop that. You hope they miss. But they they.
Speaker 3: Also played beautiful basketball.
Speaker 2: They moved the ball well, they play for each other, they defend, Yeah, Tatum, I think statement game.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, chip in the form of a ring on your finger and chip on your shoulder as well. He came into that one.
Speaker 3: At the same time, he has nothing to prove to anybody and also so much to prove.
Speaker 1: I think, like like crazy, but it's like no, we get it, no, we get it.
Speaker 2: Well, he's coming off a ring, like genuinely, the case against him for MVP is you've got an amazing team one through nine, right right, And so then he goes out and drops thirty I think he had thirty. He had thirty two like two minutes into the second half, right, you know, right, like and yeah, he he's fantastic. The Celtics in general are fantastic. And somebody's gonna have to pay the piper at some point, yeah, like yeah, just with money, but like you know right now, that's how stuff gets done.
Speaker 1: So let's be present, let's be president, because right.
Speaker 2: Now we're we're witnessing a machine, a basketball in the machine.
Speaker 1: To watch, Even for me as a hater, I'm like I have to sit there again with tears streaming down my face because I'm like this is unsd I don't know how you how do you compete with this? Twenty nine from sixty one to three point attempts twenty nine three. But are they like eighteen in the first half?
Speaker 2: None of those are chucking like they generate so many good shots. Yes, as an offense, and it's like, okay, like pretty much every team that goes to face them this season is going to go on to the floor and feel like, oh, we're not the better team.
Speaker 4: I was talking to Miles about this before the show, and the reality is, and let me say officially, I am the biggest hater. I hate the way that they walk, I hate the way that they talk, I hate the way that they dress. And I will acknowledge everything you said is one hundred percent accurate. They are going to be the best team on the floor regardless. If ever there were a time where a team would come off sluggish or could you know, you could you could excuse it, you know, like no pusingis you know they had the long summer.
Speaker 1: No, they came out.
Speaker 4: And this is the part that I was, you know, discussed with Mouse just ahead of the show, is they have embraced like the city of Boston's attitude and that should be very scary to the rest of us.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that's terrible.
Speaker 2: I went to school up there, I lived there for five years, and Boston's a lovely place. Lovely people in Boston, a lot of them, but it is very much a like like and dude, we got to talk about Missoula. Man, that guy somebody did the like, uh true, detective, I just want you to keep saying odd stuff like he says the weirdest stuff and it's amazing, like there, you know, he was asked like is there pressure, like you know, do you guys feel feel pressure? And he was like, we're all going to be dead soon and none of you are invited into my funeral.
Speaker 1: To my funeral. That's what do you say to that? Yeah, transcendence, Yeah, you talked about it.
Speaker 2: He talking about us meniscus and the surgery being fun.
Speaker 1: He's an animal. He's an animal, like he.
Speaker 2: Might be the guy who was wearing the saw mask, like right, that's who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's a.
Speaker 2: Little unhinged, and this whole team is a little unhinged, and like there there always is sort of a Boston against the world mentality and that that mass whole vibe. And now they can talk all their talk, right because they got that.
Speaker 3: Ring with all of those.
Speaker 2: I always love seeing that when they get the ring and it's like, oh, this is eighteen diamonds here because it's more than the Lakers, right, yeah, and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: What do you mean right, you're just rubbing that in Tom right, Well you've got.
Speaker 3: That first you brought. I actually hadn't thought of it.
Speaker 1: Part of me almost fired off.
Speaker 4: You're seventeen to six, but I know he probably would have come back with twenty seven to seven because yeah, yeah, sport, our baseball teams are square enough.
Speaker 1: Bring bro right here Lake Dodgers versus Yankees fans. That's again this this is a great time to be a sports fan.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it's so much fun.
Speaker 1: So is there do we see any any version of reality and the multi verse of madness where this team is not straight to the finals again? Because I'm I'm like, that has to be one of the worst bets in sports right now. It's like betting on the Celtics to win. It's like, I don't know, man, what do you want your money back?
Speaker 2: They're just so deep, so deep, there's so deep. There's so deep that like I wouldn't I wouldn't touch that. Yes, yeah, think about this. Both of our teams could use a Lonnie Walker.
Speaker 4: They made it the day before the season, were like, hey, you know what, thanks, thanks for your services. Like they're they're waving actual rotation contributed because they're that deep in.
Speaker 3: That strong Lottie's.
Speaker 2: Lottie is one of my absolute favorite guys that I've gotten to know in covering the Spurs. And you know, like also awesome story, awesome dude, and really rooting for him to find a place where you can contribute because like he's and and he was he was what an interesting career, right, You play for Greg Pavovich, you play with the Lakers and Lebron yea and and like and you're you're a microwave score you got you got the size and length to be like disruptive on the wing when you're locked in and can't find a spot in the league.
Speaker 3: Is kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So wishing the best for Lonnie Walker. But yeah, I mean it's it's an embarrassment of riches for the Celtics. Like I said, they're gonna have to pay for it, but like I'm not gonna have to pay for it.
Speaker 3: I just get to watch, you know, It's not my money rightly.
Speaker 1: And what of the Knicks now? And I get it my expectations. I think we're through the roof. Also because like I'll entertain any possibility. We're like, yeah, maybe maybe the Celtics lose on Ring Night and then the Knicks can do it. Also taking out the fact that you know there they still need time to gel. This is not like the finished product coming at you day one one, game one. But what were you seeing? What I was looking? First of all, I was really it was really nice see Miles McBride like, really kind of step up. I was like, oh no, okay, sir, not only do you have a fantastic name, but what do you have? Like twenty two points? I think he was like the I think tied for points with Jalen Brunson. He was keeping him in it for a while. Yeah, yeah, he really was. And I was like, oh man, this is like, okay, the pieces are there, but are you Do you feel any less or more excited after that? Obviously given the fact that this was the very first game and this is they're getting used to this new team, how'd you come away with that? Thinking about the Knicks, I've.
Speaker 2: Got kind of more questions about the Knicks, Uh, not really necessarily after that first game, but really after the trade to bring Karl Anthony Towns in, right, because the reason the Knicks were fun last year was because it looked like just five dudes and Tim's like stomping on whoever was in their way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Defensively, it was like a rock fight. Yeah, and they were you know, very physical, very aggressive in that way. And it's you know, starting on defense, right, classic Tips coach team. And now you have Karl Anthony Towns, who, you know, one of the great big men shooters of all time, surely is going to provide them a boost in that area. But now, like, especially as the center in a defensive scheme, like, you know, he did not look great and drop coverage last night. They were having a tough time when when he was getting put in actions. And granted it's the first game and you're going against the absolute gauntlet that is the Celtics roster. Yeah, but I am interested to see how the grittiest team of last year adapts to having a guy who's viewed as like one of the softer like.
Speaker 1: Stars in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Right, right, And he looked like he belongs in a Knicks uniform, so it looks like he's been wearing that for a while for some reason.
Speaker 1: And he's a man being a Knicks fan too.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Yeah, Like there's there's a lot of stuff here where it's like this should be good and this should be fun and this should work better. But also like I'm curious to see how how it all plays out, and like they sort of yoled a little bit trying to get that power of friendship next team together and then like, you know, make this move right. And obviously Dante DiVincenzo is not the like center of that, but like what was a part of that? And like, you know, I think they're gonna miss Hartenstein a lot more than people expect in terms of shorten that metal. So yeah, I think I think I have more questions than answers about the Knicks, but like I hope they answer those questions in a distinctly New York way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that last you know, that last beat like just nails it on the head. They missed the dirty work guy. They missed the guy who's gonna get in there and rough it up. And I'm not even I'm not even gonna take this as an opportunity to you know, pile on cat, you know, Bodega cat.
Speaker 1: He is what he is at this stage.
Speaker 4: Like you, I was intrigued by, you know, you know, by that move specifically because it's like, okay, well what's round what's round two? With Tim's gonna look like for him? You know, it wasn't necessarily the greatest fit, and I think I mentioned this on last week's episode. It wasn't necessarily the greatest fit when he was young, but maybe at this stage in his career could be something different. But to that original point, you know, a guy is gonna be what he is, and they're probably going to need to address that and need to get you know, a dirty work big or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh man and Bridges, Poor poor macaude, the shooting macau McCaw. That was really Chris. What wasn't he like one of the best corner three point shooter last season or something like that or a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: You don't normally see jump shots get rebuilt when they work. Well, yeah, this is confusing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm ignorant as to the inner workings of the professional basketball player's mind, but statistically, on paper, you are looking at a player like him, You're like, yeah, I'm having that. This is a great weapon to add. And then it's like, hold on, this isn't broke, and I'm gonna try and fix it. I don't understand what it's like.
Speaker 2: A batting stance, Like, you know, you could refine everybody's batting stance to be the most like efficient and you know, mathematically perfect. You can take out the hitch and you can what it. But if if if you got something that you're comfortable with and you're hitting the ball, just do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly exactly were people coming at Andris Galaraga for being so open, you know what I mean? I remember that bat like this is he looking off to the side.
Speaker 2: But the weirdest batting stance you can think of. I'm I'm a Yankee fan, but uclus always jumps to mind.
Speaker 1: Yo, Yeah the way the bat was Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was just very But again, that's like one of those things where each person knows their body and that's just how they've played the game their whole life, and that's how they've worked it out to be proficient at a professional level.
Speaker 2: There's always at the why some like fifty year old man whose shot looks like like it comes all the way back here, right yep, and you're like, there's no there's no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and somebody way, but you're yeah. It's like again, I understand, like with sprinters or like racing where you're you're you have to shave off milliseconds and that's like the difference between gold and silver or whatever. But again I am ignorant. I do not understand. It was just very difficult to watch considering how like he was really struggling with his shooting, and it wasn't Yeah, it wasn't easy on the eyes. It was not easy on the eyes. You shot twenty eight percent a little over twenty eight percent, yea from three last night. That's tough.
Speaker 3: That's tough.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, let's take a quick break and we'll come back to talk about the other side of the coin, the team with no ring and the team that nearly got close to losing to the Celtics. Uh. And that's the Lakers and the Timberwolves. And we'll do that right after this. And we're back, and I mean that literally, Jabbari. We're back, okay, for the for the.
Speaker 4: For the non Lakers fans, out there. Let us have this one game to be happy about. Can we have this?
Speaker 1: We want an opening night game that's a chip And I know the bar is low, and you say that's pathetic from a team who's trying to compete with the Celtics, But look, I saw the Celtics. We're not getting close to that right now. I can't. I'm let me live in my little bubble sphere right now where that was a great up. But it was a really fantastic night. A d looked fantastic. What did he put up against Gobert? Like thirty six three blocks? Bro woke up looking for the brunckn I know, got that horn on him, that kama see hey you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, I mean like it was it? I mean I again, I was. This is my question to start off, because we did look really good. We looked different. Is the bar just so low because of Darvin Ham's tenure or is JJ by just merely being more flexible, you know with the plays and the lineups? That was that merely? It would like if because I feel like the whole time we're like I wish Darvin, like, can you call a time out? Because if you don't this run is going to you have to stop the bleeding. And he's like, you're gonna let them work it out again again, where it's like I again, tears streamed down my face for two games last night. One is because I could not believe how good the Celtics were. The second was because JJ Read called a time out when the Timberwolves were on a run that was about to just upside down our lead, and I was like, I had not seen anything like that in a few years, and I was like, this is this real?
Speaker 4: He was even sharing coherent messages in the time out. I'm sorry, man, like.
Speaker 1: People looked at the board real quick.
Speaker 4: Tom, We'll come to you for this. But I just have to say this because it's in relation to that. For two years, I was a Darvin Ham apologist. I wanted to believe I did, and you know, like I'm always good. I'm never happy, like when someone lose their gig, man like so like when he got fired. While yes it was time for them to move on, I didn't. I wasn't celebrating that. But after I saw last night's game, and that was all just to set this up. After I saw last night's game, I said, you know what, I'm glad your butts out of here, because quite frankly, in one night they looked more in line and more cohesive and more bought in than they ever looked at any point last season. And you know what, maybe it's simply the right maybe it's the right fit at the right time.
Speaker 1: But honeymoon could be honeymooney. But I'm a lot more optimistic than I was saying last year. Yeah, because I look and I'm not quite ready to sign my JJ I'm sorry card and send that in yet, but because I'm not not gonna lie. I was like, I was looking kind of funny at this this hiring. But this guy is such a you know, basketball freak that I do love that part about his coaching. And for me, I love seeing my fellow Black and these brother Rui Hachimura out there looking like renewed in a way that we only saw in flashes. And I just feel like everybody looked kind of they're like they're finding like, yeah, man, he just needed some instruction, you know what I mean, Like we just needed to know what time it was, because I remember really saiding like I think it was like maybe media day or one of the like one of the he had a moment right in the off season where he was like, yeah, the thirty to forty games under him, we were just kind of like doing whatever, and and it looked like that. And the fact that like it was articulated, I'm like, oh, well, all it takes is a bit of structure, and now we have something that looks a lot different. Jackson Hayes looked fantastic. Dalton connect in a gang in a gang being being banged. Bang. What that was? I don't know. Again, my hopes are high, by my eyeballs are just streaming tears. But yeah, I really loved just kind of I'm I'm reserving it. I'm not gonna go I'm not gonna go over, but we're back. Okay, Okay, hang number eighteen up.
Speaker 2: I think you are right to be optimistic. Yes, I saw last night because, like you said, the togetherness of the team, the direction of the team, it felt, uh you know, felt coherent and cohesive in a way that Lakers games haven't felt in a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the stop the bleeding time out, like you said, Yeah, that's fairly basic coaching stuff.
Speaker 3: No d something on the board, and guys like that fairly bag.
Speaker 1: You know. That's like, this is the bar that I'm like, that's where I felt like, am I just I have no perspective anymore because of what happened last season or last year.
Speaker 2: But so so, I think there were a couple of things that jumped out to me watching that game and after it as well, about Reddick, who's really not far at all from his playing days, Like it's really not long ago that he was on those floors competing against a lot of these guys. Yeah, and there was a moment in this game where and Edwards was near him and J. J. Redick was like talking smack to him a little bit. I think it was about like like he was like it was it was late in the game, and he was like he carried and and A gets back at him and he's like, yeah, okay, yeah, but he carried.
Speaker 3: And like it was just like that.
Speaker 2: But like, yeah, you don't really see coaches like smack talk the opposing teams star player who's also like one of the most prolific smack buckers in the league, a guy who like takes things personal and puts a chip on his shoulder. But then I was I was watching ants after that, and he was like he was playing a little angrier.
Speaker 1: But not necessarily better a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it was a little like, oh, I'm gonna show you a little bit. And then that didn't work and he had to adjust because he started drawing doubles and then he was passing out of it, and then that was working. But like he kind of got in the head I think of one of the like true like rising star future faces, current faces of the league, and and that was really cool to see. And then after the game he had a comment about like, you know, I don't know why we're playing with like fresh balls that aren't worn in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's like, can we tell the league I'm fine with worn in basketballs. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they feel weird in your hand.
Speaker 2: And I didn't realize until like I got one later in the game because it bounced to me and it was like, you know, it's just like I think that that locker room definitely could use the perspective and the the all the accumulated knowledge of somebody who was in the league very recently right understands how the modern game of basketball has played, and like you can just tell that he's been one of the smarter basketball people in most most of the teams that he's been at, and like, you know, just just by virtue of how much of a basketball freak he is. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's kind of like you know what Wemby said, where like kind of like I used to respect some of these people, but now I see the kind of work they put in, and I think it's bs. Yeah, Like like I can imagine him sitting on the end of the bench like watching you know, Van Gundi or whoever, like not call a timeout and be like is he doing Yeah, like fifteen plus years of that, yeah, build dub into Like Okay, if I ever was in charge, how would I do it?
Speaker 1: Would yeah? Yeah yeah, And he's been thinking about that. Yeah. Funny enough, when he was talking to aunt, I was yelling at the TV like.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, hey, hey, that's very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: But but it seems like he did it in just the right way, right, it seemed to work out.
Speaker 1: He knew it was. It was just so matter of fact. He's like, yeah, okay, whatever you carried, and he's right, he was energy, yeah, because if he was matching that, then he would have been like, yeah, yeah, okay, but he's like, no, I logically just I'm ending the conversation. Carry carry yeah, and that's it and whatever you can say, that's fine, but anyway.
Speaker 2: I'll show you carry bro and got he got a little bit like, you know, a little bit io ball.
Speaker 3: So yeah, no, it was.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Jabari. What about you? I mean we've talked, we texted throughout, We've shared many thoughts. Where do where do you where you shaken out after this? And are we also? Are you also kind of looking at the Wolves a little some kind of way too, because let's not fully even to fully be here and be like we have need to look did that that was the best defense in the league? And look at us?
Speaker 4: That's exactly where I'm at with it. I'm trying to temper my you know, superants, not my exuberant but no, look, the Lakers look. The Lakers look better than I anticipated, and the and the Wolves look worse than I anticipated. But I think there's something to that. The Wolves, you know, we're missing it with the Knicks. The Wolves just made a big trade right before the season. It's going to take them some time to adjust. It did not look like they had the same connectivity, you know, defensively, and that's understandable. You know, they got new personnel in there and probably going to take some time if they're able to find that. But I'm going to be honest with you, and you know last week we were talking about proved players. Yeah, when I say this, take it with a grain of salt, but Ant is a proved player to me this season. And the reason is is because we were wondering are they going to go all in with him or is it going to be his team? Well, they have definitively said this is your team moving forward. I'm not going to be one of those people that says, like, oh, he has to deal. He made it so far last year, so he has to make What I'm looking for is more maturity, more leadership along the way, heightened level of understanding how to interact with the guys to get them to you know, to put them in the best you know, you know, the best places in your positions to win.
Speaker 1: Now, obviously coaching, you know that coaching goes into that.
Speaker 4: But in my estimation, if you're going to be the guy on a team, especially in the NBA, and it's not there's nothing to do with like today, It's always been a case you have to have that sort of influence.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of what I'm looking for this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw a little bit of it from Ant in this game, where you know, on the bench and on the floor, you know, trying to fire the guys up a little bit, especially especially in those places where the Lakers were building and extending the lead when there were those lapses. He was the clapping his hands angrily, come on, man like type of guy. And like he definitely has the skill and the the hutspa to to be like doing that as a young player in this league, but that type of leadership is sometimesfficult for other people to take, right. Yeah, and then I've sort of got a question here largely do we think that Rudy Gobert wins another Defensive Player of the Year award in his career given his his countryman's descendants and voter fatigue and people kind of seeing how he gets exploited all the time.
Speaker 1: Right especially I mean it's like Ad just has his number, yeah, which is like dominates this dude. Yeah, what was that stat you posted like the last five games or something. He's always put up at least like a thirty piece on like.
Speaker 4: Last five games are in order, thirty eight on sixty three percent true shooting, thirty eight on sixty five percent true shooting, thirty one on sixty five, thirty three on seventy seven, and in thirty six last night on sixty one percent trew shooting. Yeah, catching things in the vacuum, you know, like folks will get in trouble sometimes. So I'm not going to say, like, oh, simply because Anthony Davis does tour him yeah's you know he's not.
Speaker 1: But I will say there is no chance in hell he's ever winning another one.
Speaker 4: And it's specifically because it's because Wemben Yama exists. It's specifically because if they give anybody a sympathy one down the line, it's gonna be Anthony Davis because he should have won one by now to begin with. But that's neither here nor there.
Speaker 1: But it's with that Academy Awards. Yeah, I mean where he might get his Revenant, he might get that, but you know.
Speaker 2: Can you can you guys believe that Defensive Player of the Year never went to Timmy Like isn't that like a well, yeah, like absolutely nuts. But like I really do think because you look at Wemby and it's like, Okay, he's seven to five and flips his hips like a slot corner, Like.
Speaker 1: What right do? Yeah? Yeah, you can't compete with that? Yeah, yeah, no, there's it's just a new evolution.
Speaker 2: Is it's the perimeter game that exposes Gobert every time, and in Wemby you see a taller and more mobile version of that. He can still be like a wrecking ball inside exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man.
Speaker 2: And when he straight up said like after after Gobert one of this year, I'm barely paraphrasing here, he was like, congratulations to Rudy, good job, and after this it's not his turn anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's almost a direct quote.
Speaker 1: And he was right.
Speaker 3: He said, yeah, that's the thing. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was along those lines.
Speaker 1: True. And we're gonna get to Wendy in a second, but before we do that, actually, I do want to mention, obviously, Bronny and lebron shared the court. I'm not nearly as mad as other Laker fans about this. I think I'm looking at this as like a you know, just a fan and someone who's like a newly became a parent, and I'm like, this is this was really cool to see. I really enjoyed the fact that they were able to. I think right after he came out the court, Lebron had such a like you know, trademark Lebron just like driving to the hoop and just slamming it. And I was just thinking of like, if my dad, if my like just pictures like that's my dad and we're on the same car right now. He did that, Like just the situation was blowing my mind in a way I wasn't expecting. I was like, hey, kid, that's your dad and you're playing on the court with him. Well, that's that's something. It was just nice to see the whole family sort of get that moment out of it. Now, whether or not this is something that is sustained, I think is obviously a much larger question. But I don't I don't agree with a lot of people who are just directing a lot of this anger at him, Like, dude, he's a kid. This is just how the chips fell. But I do think there's still some time for him to develop, and I think he'll do that, and I think he'll become something somewhat of a contributor down the line. But yeah, it was a nice moment to see it was.
Speaker 2: It was super cool. I've become much less curmudgeonly as I've grown. Sure, I feel like there's so much in this screwed up world for us to be angry about, right, and basketball shouldn't be one of those things.
Speaker 3: You know, This this is a.
Speaker 1: This is a to forget the bad stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, Like, you know, I just can't imagine working myself up to get annoyed. It's like the thinking cap. This actually sucks. Like, actually, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's cool.
Speaker 2: I think it's very cool that one of the greatest athletes of all time gets to have this moment with his son do something nobody's ever done before. And that's something that even if like when I when I was my first sports gig was writing like high school sports features for the Boston Globe, and my mom is not a sports person at all, if I started telling her a story and an involved an athlete, brain shut off. Right, this is one that passes the mom test. This is one that everybody and look at and be like, oh, that's neat. And we've got a whole bunch of people who were like Actually I want to dump on this teenager.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, people were just waiting for the opportunity. We know what this is. So the reality is this. It can be two things. Is it a little bit exploitative?
Speaker 4: Is it a little bit you know, are there question marks about like is it really in Bronni's best interest to continue stay at this level and not be able to develop?
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are fair questions. But you don't have to crap on the moment. It was a dope moment as a matter of fact. That's humanstery. My human side loved it.
Speaker 4: Now you will say, I will say, my degenerate, ridiculous Lakers fan side internally said, Okay, I'm glad we had this moment, but Lebron, keep the family away, go ahead and send him, go ahead and send him to South Bay. Let him continue to develop, and you can have this moment again down the road, especially if he starts he starts to pop out and show and yet like and that's completely fine. But for now, there's nothing wrong with having a great moment on opening night.
Speaker 2: I have not crunched the numbers on this, but I can't imagine there are many second round picks who got first half minutes in the first game of the season, like ever, right, no, so, but this is I understand all of that part of it, right, but.
Speaker 3: Also who cares exactly one.
Speaker 2: It's nice, good for them, it didn't matter, and the course of the game.
Speaker 1: No, And we also knew it was going to happen, like every everyone was prepared. They're like, if it makes sense and the games moving in the right direction, we will see this happen. And also didn't Anthony vers he didn't have to talk smack to him and be like, hey, didn't he says like, bro, you don't even need a shower bor you brought up.
Speaker 3: Like is it in Bronnie's best interest?
Speaker 2: Like there were some guys on the Timberwolves who were like as soon as he got in, they were like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm going at him. Oh yeah, give me that sitting around.
Speaker 2: Pick welcome to the league, right yeah, And you know what, all of that is compelling and interesting to watch fast the crowd pop, the buzz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, just enjoy it. Yeah, I'm here for it. So wemby okay, uh kicking things off against Dallas right Thursday. So by the time you're hearing this, this game may be happening in progress. But again, just the photos, the videos, the quotes coming out of Wemby. I'm so excited for this second year for him. I like how people like when there was that one viral photo where they're like, oh my god, he looking He's looking like Dwight Howard with those shoulders. What's just going on? But then he also clarified, He's like, no, I'm not putting on a tunnel. Did he say? He's like, I can't do something more than five percent of my bodyweight a year. Oh so I'm going to injure myself, which I'm also like, See, this is why I like you. He knows this is we have such good, such a good mindset around this career from the beginning. It's about longevity. It's about developing correctly, knowing you have the tools and and just letting that blossom in the way that it needs to. But with Chris Paul there you know, and Castle, I'm just Tom, You're the Spurs guy. Tell me, why, tell me why I should be so so much more excited than I am because every look, like I said, Wenby's playing, I'm so excited, but give me even more, give me more fuel. For my dreams and my delusions.
Speaker 2: Well, at the beginning of last year, you know Pop experiment with Jeremy So and a point guard, right, and that was a second year power forward playing at point guard for twenty games, right, good for the long term development of Jeremy So. Bad for the immediate winning of basketball games and crunch time play, and overall floored generalliness of the San Antonio Spurs during that time period. And then now this season you've added not just Chris Paul, who is you know, one of the most technically skilled point guards to ever play the game in basketball and one of the best floor generals ever, also had Harrison Barnes.
Speaker 3: Who want to gold medal with Pop.
Speaker 2: Who listen, every single guy who comes through San Antonio in the next ten plus years is not going to be the best guy on the team, right, And he is a perfect mentor in that regard of how can you do the other things? How can you carve out a career, how can you be useful in pursuit of the ultimate goal?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So, with those sort of training wheels, this Spurs team left a lot of meat on the bone in terms of results last year. Oh, in that sports illustrated cover story on wemby. I think it was thirty five games where they had a double digit lead and they lost twenty of them, and they played a lot of forty five minute games.
Speaker 3: They last forty eight.
Speaker 2: And you can see already the Chris Paul effect where it's not just spam pick and rolls like I would in two K. Right, yeah, but the way that he gets everybody in the right spots, it's quite something to watch. It's it's really and in between timeouts, right, watch him during the breaks. If you get a chance to go to a game, right, watch what he is doing when the ball is dead.
Speaker 3: He's always in somebody's ear.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And Castle, I mean who like he looks right, yeah, yeah, he looks correct. He looks like the no brainer picked for them to make there. He looks confident. He looks like he can guard anybody one through three just needs SI.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm interested in seeing like you know, like, yeah, how CP three impacts all these guys. But there's a guy and I mentioned him on last week's show, and and and actually last summer we saw him in Summer.
Speaker 1: League City's so yeah, yeah, how far away already from seeing him in regular action up with you know, with the with the main squad.
Speaker 3: So City is a really interesting one.
Speaker 2: You said you didn't want to get in the weeds before this, This is pretty in the weeds.
Speaker 1: It was only by chance because we were there watching the Summer League and I was like, well, who is this a socle cat? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is so he played G League season before he got drafted, right, Not many nineteen year olds have like an NBA ready body.
Speaker 3: He did. And yeah, French.
Speaker 2: Player with a really interesting combination of size and athleticism and passing ability and playmaking. But still with that pro experience and with a lot of last year in the G League, his skills are still pretty raw, right, and he doesn't really have a reliable outside jumper to sort of compensate for that. So it becomes a question of where does he slot into the rotation?
Speaker 3: What position?
Speaker 2: Right, I've been really impressed by Blake Wesley in the preseason, and he's probably the third point guard behind Chris Paul and Trey Jones. Castle probably won't even like he'll probably come off the benches too, right. Yeah, so suddenly the spurs are deeper, uh than maybe they seem. But CEDI is a guy who could take a leap this year. So he's definitely a really fascinating prospect. He kind of gives me like young boristil a little bit.
Speaker 1: Mmmm that that was the comparison I was making last year. I was like you Skinny Dio.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, exactly, the one that cleared the whole VerTech machine.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I wasn't expecting siska questions. That's great.
Speaker 4: Hey, well look I actually watched a lot of Spurs basketball year. I watched a lot of basketball last year, and I'm going to do it again this year.
Speaker 3: So it's going to be more fun this year.
Speaker 1: What do we think in is it?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Do we do we turn up the heat on the expectations stove? Or yeah, we still need to we still need to be like let's let's let's let's let it cook a little bit more. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. But I don't know, just seeing just hearing you talk about that, seeing the wisdom and the potential that is being put together, I think I'm not that I'm saying this is something we're like, yo, this this is this some some wild is about to have. But I feel like there is going to be a markid improvement all last.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's you know, shoot for the moon, aim for the stars.
Speaker 1: Yeah whatever on the moon. Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 2: And in fairness is it's a it doesn't make any sense because the stars are way further away, but whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you landed on the moon and you were shooting.
Speaker 3: But you know what I'm saying, like you got you gotta be You.
Speaker 1: Couldn't even go one par sec. Man couldn't even get to Alpha Centauri baby the moon. Anyway, from my astronomy fans out there.
Speaker 2: They need to be aiming for the play and I don't think they're going to hit a guaranteed playoff spot, but like I'm really interested to see here. And Jabari kind of asked me this earlier about how active they're going to be on the trade market.
Speaker 3: They've been stacking chips.
Speaker 2: Wisely frugally for years now, started with the Kawhi trade, but they have acquired literally dozens of draft picks, like like it's an embarrassment they you know, they use their cap space helps scilitate to move pick up a second round pick. Brian Wright has just done a million of those trades and some bigger ones, and one bigger trade in particular that really set in motion not just where the Spurs roster is now, but where it could be. Is de Jontay Murray trade right? Traded this guy right after an all Star season peak of his value for essentially three first round picks twenty five a swap in twenty six and twenty seven. Twenty five draft is coming up. What are the Hawks doing?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Who could the Hawks trade Tray Young two?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And is there any way for them to get their own picks if they stink this year? If they say, you know what we want, Cooper Flag, the Spurs are like, that's our pick.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, sorry about that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's a situation that I'm eyeing with extreme interest because, like, the Hawks are basically at the bottom of a hole with a shovel, and the guy who gave them the shovel and told him to start digging is the one standing up there like with his hand out.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm the only one who can really help you out of this one, right, you just got to give me Trey Young. Yeah, and it doesn't have to be Tray Young, right, But like Chris Paul, they didn't bring him in thinking this is going to be the point guard that you know starts next to Wemby when they when we went our first championship with him, right, he's more.
Speaker 1: Of a bridge, right, Yeah, absolutely, But.
Speaker 2: Now you start asking a bridge to what. And that Chris Paul contract, he took a gignormous pay cut, not just to make it work in San Antonio, so that it's a tradable number at the deadline if his stock goes way up, because he throws a ton of lobs to Victor women out right, right. So I think the Spurs have positioned themselves. They have a ridiculous war chest to work with, similar to what the Thunder we're able to assemble and you know, a few years behind on that.
Speaker 3: Trajectory is sort of where I see it.
Speaker 2: But obviously with a extraterrestrial superstar who you know.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was wild seeing Barack Obama talk about Wemby man, Yeah right, you know, and and just say, like the thing that we all think, which is that when he's on the floor, you can't look away, no, because you've just never seen anything like that.
Speaker 1: No, And that's I missed that. It's that feeling and it's coming back all right, well, let's take another break and when we come back, Tom Petrini, you are about to enter the fourth quarter rapid fire round of questioning. Your seat has become magma levels of hot. We'll be right back, and we're back, Tom a treaty. We've really enjoyed the conversation up until this moment, but I'm sorry, and I don't want to change gears on you so quick, but it is time for the fourth quarter rapid fire round. Question This is the hottest, fastest, most aggressive question answer segment in all of NBA pod not vodka podcasting history.
Speaker 2: Is this where you screw up all the report we've been building you just.
Speaker 1: Maybe or maybe you mess it up by not answering questions as quickly as humanly possible and using your mind to create level headed answers. We're not here for that.
Speaker 3: I'm a little slow, but we'll we'll try.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, that's good as long as you're read, because I hope you're ready. Brian Sir Jabari, Why don't you Why don't you go ahead first? You know? Yes, yes, yes, guest host first today. Yes, I believe you should go first. Here we go, Here we go. Tom answer what's your favorite color?
Speaker 4: No, does CP three wind up on that Spurs staff as a coach down the line.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's his first staff, but it will be. He will be a head coach in this league. I think if you, if you look around at this at the NBA players who are in it now, who could most follow that JJ Reddick career path, probably skip the podcasting and go right onto somebody's bench.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and the Popovitch coaching tree grows evermore.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, Okay, next question, We're gonna play pick up hoops of musicians and we're just looking around. These are all musicians in the court, and we just got the first pick and I took my favorite rapper, Shack Diesel. Okay, Unfortunately we had to create a role just right away that nobody else is allowed to draft anybody who has ever played professional basketball. So who are you taking next? Musicians?
Speaker 2: I don't know if he can hoop, but what I saw Hosier this year and he's like six seven, He's tall as hell, so he.
Speaker 1: Take me to chat. Yeah, that guy is six seven, that's coming from six to seven?
Speaker 2: Yes, bro, Wow, gorgeous, gorgeous, gigantic irishman.
Speaker 1: Uh six seven.
Speaker 3: I could I could work with that, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean I did pick Shack Diesels just so you know, so if that's your thing, and then.
Speaker 3: I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean check given anybody the business in the paint, right, I'm hoping that Hosier's got like a decent outside game, not a musician.
Speaker 3: Well actually yes, loophole. Yes, Oh so baby, give me Adam, say.
Speaker 1: Don't figure out that Adam Sandlers.
Speaker 2: Give me give me Adam Sandler at point guard, throwing behind the back passes.
Speaker 1: Uh, Hawaiian shirt one shorts.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be my low effort Halloween costume this year. I feel free to steal it.
Speaker 3: Fellas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get some, get some and one shorts and literally.
Speaker 3: Anything that doesn't match it.
Speaker 2: Dress dress as ridiculous as possible. Go to the park, drop dimes.
Speaker 1: Yes, orange, you bought it like a FedEx polo. Yes, for some reason, Yes, like your name on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like can hoop a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from what I've seen, he can play. Last last week, just so you guys know, the answer was prince.
Speaker 5: And to play college ball. He played profess. Yeah, Percy Miller to master Pe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, technically he played.
Speaker 2: Pre season and Prince like had a basketball hoop on the side of his stage during constant TV to watch my yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah. And also when I saw that video of Kevin Garnett talking about actually watching Prince play, and I was like, oh, that's high praise, that's hype because he's not giving it to you if you if you don't deserve right looks. And Tom, Man, we got to keep this all these details you brought up stuff man, The rules were just one man.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Jam please write this ship all right, Tom.
Speaker 4: You can see court sided any arena of your choosing which arena and what's your matchup?
Speaker 2: I think it would actually be this year Christmas. The Almo Dome game was sick when they did that this past year. But I'm a New York kid. I've seen a lot of beautiful things happen in Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 3: It's the mecca, man uh. And that's the Christmas Day game this year, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it's Spurs Spurs at Knicks.
Speaker 2: After the New York Faithful chant that overrated at Wemby. I want to be sitting next to Walclyde Frasier in one of them suits, right, and I want to see Wemby chant overrated back at them.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: The Garden.
Speaker 1: Those Christmas games are great because that's what you got. Spurs at Nick's Sixers in Boston, Lakers, and Golden at Golden State, although those who knows where both of those teams are going to be, and then the Nuggets at the Sun. So we'll we'll see, we shall see. Okay, how about this, Tom, If the NBA scheduled the finals location similar to how the NFL or even college basketball or even the UEFA Champions League does, where would your next three finals be taking place?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Seattle in Vegas? One more and then yes, screw it. Alamo Dome why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, back.
Speaker 2: Very day when they did the fiftieth anniversary game, when the Alamo Dome was the Spurs home, it was like the Carrier Dome and they had a curtain.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, exactly right, Yeah, I remember they still.
Speaker 3: Had like forty k for Spurs games.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The Dome game that set the record for attendance was sixty eight thousand for a basketball game in a football stadium, right, Because they they reoriented the court and did the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Vibe was tremendous. So that's my three.
Speaker 4: The Googles is saying that you can actually get up to seventy three thousand in there, and that's wild boy.
Speaker 1: What that hell? That is kind of the atmosphere. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, that's actually that's a go to answer the thing.
Speaker 2: The thing is like, and I talked to some of the guys about this, because you're in a gym that open a lot of time, your visual references for jump shots are like closer to you, right right, it's more flat there, and so I was screwing some guys up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, right, I digress. Sorry, Tom, I'm I'm sorry. Sorry, I'm sorry. You told me.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious if you if you recalled what I said the segment, and then I told you as an aside, you got it all this other stuff about perspective shift. Okay, what like.
Speaker 4: This is our actual announce this last one for you, and it comes courtesy of our Discord, all right. I put it out there on Twitter, but then you know, the Discord folk would shout out to all of them, shout out to Paul Garavante and all of all of our boosters, all of our boosters out there. Shout out to our guy Johnny Davis, our guy Big and Scary eight oh two, our guy Huckable.
Speaker 1: Let's see who else. Let's make sure I get everybody.
Speaker 4: Max r Donnie Baseball noise complaint. Shout out to all you guys. We definitely appreciate you keeping the conversation going. Let me get your predictions.
Speaker 2: M V p uh.
Speaker 1: Jason Tatum, Jason, Jason Kidd he get it together, all right?
Speaker 4: Okay, Jason, I think I know this one defensive player of the year, most improved somehow.
Speaker 3: Also Wemby, that's unfair, Rookie of the year.
Speaker 1: Chat fir.
Speaker 3: Is this is this the being.
Speaker 1: No matter what? Yeah, all right, I'm gonna accept that as the answer.
Speaker 3: First time All Star uh wenby.
Speaker 1: Sleepers in each conference, one team teach M.
Speaker 2: I genuinely do think the Spurs are gonna sneak up on somebody. But I think the Magic are going to be good.
Speaker 3: In the East.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and yeah, Pallo Pallo, I think I think this is his year. The West is tough man, the West is like there's there's two bad teams like so it's it's gonna it's gonna be a bloodbath over there, and there's one team that's went in the East. But uh, it's it's gonna be a fun NBA season. Thank you guys so much for.
Speaker 1: For oh yeah, final win.
Speaker 2: Celtics will play. I think it's Celtics Nuggets until somebody knocks off the Nuggets for me. Actually, no, Thunder, Thunder, Thunder get to the finals this year. Thunder get to the finals this year, get ripped apart by the Celtics.
Speaker 1: Celtics. Okay, good well, Tom, those were the right answers. You somehow get it. I don't know I did. I didn't know if you could do it, but you did it. And thank you Tom Patrini so much for joining us on OUs and Jabbari got mad boosis. Where do the people find you? Follow you, support your work, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I am on Twitter at real Tom Petrini. The show is called Silver and Black Coffee Hour, and we are on YouTube and wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: And it's a ton of fun.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: We going deep on Spurs stuff and you know, I just like to have a fun time with it. Like we did a mailbag episode and one of the questions was who are all of the spurs as like Ninja Turtles if Chris Paul is a message splinter, right, I feel like there's a lot of negativity out there, man, and you got super duper positive. So yeah, on the internet and come to lazy days, get a coffee. That's the stay job.
Speaker 1: I love that. So make sure you give us a follow on Twitter. You can follow me at Miles of Gray and I'm at jabari A Davis and also, of course Jack is at jack Underscore O Brain. Yeah, and follow hashtag mad boosties that's B double O S T I E. S. That's where you get show links, That's where you get updates. That's how you joined the combo on the discard server. Okay, search that hashtag and find your way and we would love to have you. Well, that was another flawless episode in the books for us this week. I'm not surprised the Lakers off to I think we have one of the best records in the league. So, you know, defeated undefeated. Baby. I didn't want to say that, but stop to count. That's what it says. That's what it says. We'll see where we're at next week when you joined us for miles and Jack got mad booties. We'll see you then. Bye bye,