Speaker 1: Thanks for tuni in to techt Stuff. If you don't recognize my voice, my name is Oz Valoshian and I'm here because the inimitable Jonathan Strickland has passed the baton to Cara Price and myself to host tech Stuff. The show will remain your home for all things tech, and all the old episodes will remain available in this feed. Thanks for listening. Welcome to tech Stuff. I'm oz Vaaloshian and I'm Cara Price. So it's Wednesday, and starting on today's Tech Stuff, and every Wednesday going forward, we're going to bring you an in depth conversation with one of the brightest and farthest seeing minds in all of technology. For me personally, hosting this podcast with you is kind of a dream come true. Parts I love spending time with you, but also because I love getting the opportunity to sit down with people who are in many cases building the future and asking them what they're looking at, how they're building, what they're scared of, and what they're excited about, and then bring that back.
Speaker 2: And it is my dream to have you do all of the work and to respond to it.
Speaker 1: So thank you so for our first Wednesday episode. Of tech stuff. There was no one I wanted to reach out to more than Nicholas Thompson.
Speaker 2: I really like Nick Thompson. I remember when he was at Wired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was the editorn chief of Wired, and he's been a long time chronicler of tech. In fact, I really like this thing he does on LinkedIn almost every single day, which is a kind of selfie video called the most Interesting Thing in Tech This Week.
Speaker 2: It's podcast series and actually we found ourselves mentioned for a very particular reason.
Speaker 3: Hosted by Karra Price and Oswalsh.
Speaker 1: And so look at one day. Back in twenty nineteen, one of Nicholas Thompson's most Interesting Things in Tech was our very own podcast that we hosted together, Sleepwalkers.
Speaker 3: But what I like about it is it's real reporting, an analysis, but there's realism about the complicated trade offs. They're both optimistic and pessimistic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a very wild moment for us. I mean, you and I do like getting press hits. My mother's a publicist. I know what a big deal it is.
Speaker 1: Certainly, when Nicholas put this video up on LinkedIn, obviously, the first thing I did was to get his email address and right to him and ask him to have a coffee, which he agreed to do, and subsequently he actually a wide magazine syndicated our podcast Sleepwalkers as a column, which was just very very very cool and very exciting. And I think in some ways it is part of the reason we're we're back in the seat a few years later, because he contributed to giving us the confidence and maybe even the credibility to be hosting tech stuff today.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think for us to have the real deal put his stamp of approval on things, I think was very exciting for us. But you know, we can't assume that everyone knows who Nicholas Thompson is, so what does he do now?
Speaker 1: So Nicholas Thompson went on to become the CEO of the Atlantic, So yeah, he's kind of bounced around throughout a long career in journalism. And Nicholas has written about politics, about the law, and of course technology. He's been a writer, He's been an editor and an author of books. He wrote The Hawk and the Dove, Paul Knitzer, George Kennan, and the History of the Cold War. And because he never ever stops, he's writing a new book called Running for Your Life on middle age marathons and the quest for peak performance.
Speaker 2: I just think about what I do in a day, what he does in a day. But you know, I'm very excited to hear from him. I think he I think we also gravitate towards him as a person because he is incredibly multifaceted.
Speaker 1: Highly highly, highly energetic. That's disturbingly energetic. In fact, he really is just a ball of kind of optimistic energy. And we had a lot to cover together. We talked about the deal he struck with Open Ai in twenty twenty four as Atlantic CEO, which included licensing the magazine's archive to train AI.
Speaker 2: That was drama.
Speaker 1: That was drama. So I asked him about that, and there are a few other kind of big questions, but I started the conversation asking about running and how he used tech to beat his best ever marathon time went into his forties.
Speaker 3: I had to somehow convince myself at a subconscious level that I could go faster than I thought I could. And the funny thing about running, which I didn't quite understand then, is what slows you down often isn't physiological pain. It's your body creating an illusion of physiological pain. Because it's worried that you'll lose homeostasis if you continue a pace for a certain period of time. And if you can convince your mind that you can do more, well, then you can do more. But what do you use to convince your mind? Or you have to use your mind? So I started using an arm heart rate monitor, and so I actually had very accurate readings of my heart rate as opposed to the highly inaccurate readings that we normally have, and that allowed me to both sort of titrate the effort during workouts and during races, but also to have confidence right when you're running a race and you're running at a fast pace and your heart rate is oh look, my heart rate is only one thirty five, right, I'm okay, I can go harder. That is extremely useful. Now, of course I use AI. I upload everything I've eaten. I asked for nutritional advice or to get it. Oh yeah, you know. This is what I had for breakfast, This is what I had for lunch. This is the workout I ran yesterday. What would you recommend I do between now and my next workout on Friday.
Speaker 1: It's great, how much of a paradigm for human machine interaction. Do you think this kind of experience, your experience with optimization through running is huge.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you think about AI, it's very good at tasks where it's better than the best human available and the answer doesn't have to be one hundred percent accurate, where a fast answer involving all of the inputs can be ninety five percent accurate and it's good. Right, And that's the case for what should I eat for dinner tonight? Right? Right? Like even if it tells me I need a little extra protein and maybe I don't need electric protein, who cares? But it still knows a lot more about nutrition than I know about nutrition, and it can analyze the content of the foods I've eaten in a much better way and it's an extremely useful tool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I mean, you're not a professional runner, although you were kind of in the elite or sub a leaite category.
Speaker 3: Sub sub elite, which is better if you folks like sub elite sounds ridiculous. Elite, you know, excellent, Like I've never I've never I'm never the elite elite, well not in running PHAs maybe in other ways you are, but but elite elite.
Speaker 1: Runners are Also, I mean you've you've talked about a runner, you know who had a digital twin, I mean talk about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Deslynden, who is a wonderful runner. She set the world record for women in the fifty k run, and she's a force of nature, and so she had TCS built a digital.
Speaker 1: Twin of her heart.
Speaker 3: And it's still early days to see how useful that can be. Right now, it sort of just explains in much finer detail how she recovers from a workout and how she benefits from her workout. But you can imagine if I had a digital twin of my heart, I'm sure I could optimize workouts in a way that I can't now.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess you look at F one. There's only a sudden number of hours the cars are allowed to be on the track. So that's why simulation is so important for F one. Similarly, in running, I mean, you don't want to be running way too much, right, So in a sense, this idea of simulating training allows you to do way more training than you could do, right It was a real point.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean they're also there's specific things like so right now I run ultras and I'm trying to run a fast fifty miler, and the problem is in ultra training, you never run fifty miles in a workout, and so you can't actually test your body and see whether you're gonna make yourself puke. If you take in five hundred calories an hour for five hours, and if you could do that through a digital twin, and you can say, Okay, here's how my digestive system works. Here's the rate at which I burn calories. Here's how fast I'll be running. What is the optimal number of carbohydrates that I can take in without throwing up? That would be phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Running is one of your key passions. And then there's writing. I think I read that you've put your interviews that you're doing for your book through an NLM to kind of have new connections and themes suggested or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is a really interesting process. I try to use large language models in every way possible as I write this book about running, with the exception of writing any words. Not one word in the book will be written by A but I try to use it for everything else to see where it's good and where it's not good, and also to accelerate the process, because when you write a story at The Atlantic or the New Yorkery, of this team of editors behind you right helping you all the time, you're writing a book, it's a much more solo project. And so the way the book is structured is it's partly about my life. It's probably about my father, and then it's partly about different runners who I've encountered or competed with along the way. And some of them are people that I've interviewed episodically over your time period. And so one of the characters, for example, is this one Bobby gibb first would run the Boston Marathon, mother of a friend of mine in high school. I have all these interviews. Yeah, and so the most useful task is I wrote a section on her in the book and say it's three thousand words, and then I've fed all the interviews into a large language model, and I said, here's the section I've written. Here are all the interviews. Is there anything I've written that is inaccurate based on what you've said? Are there any quotes from.
Speaker 1: Her faccurate or inaccurate characterization? Both?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's less good on factually inaccurate, But like is anything I've said kind of unfair? Which is a test you should do as a journalist anyway, But is anything I've said unfair? And are there any quotes that she's given me that are better than the quotes I've included? And in fact it said yes, you should include this, and you should include that, And then I went back and I said, okay, great Now I have also at different points I've said, you know, here's the whole manuscript, you know, with the privacy protections on, so it's not fed back in where should I add this? And it's less good at that, But there are specific narrow tasks where it's amazing. It's just like having a very smart research assistant right there.
Speaker 1: It's interesting added that little caveat with the privacy setting zone because I think you had another experience with a book you've already written that had to do an AI that was less possive.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, yeah, so there's this big debate about my job. See you of the Atlantic, how are we licensing the Atlantics data to AI models? And there is a direct process whereby they in the last few years during which they've trained their model, have come to our site have scraped it have uploaded it, and that is something that we have some control over, right, and we can say don't do that. We can say we're going to license it, we can say you can sue you for doing it. But what is so interesting is that a huge percentage of the Atlantic content in these models doesn't come from reading the Atlantic. It comes from, well, the Atlantic's website was already captured as part of this process by which somebody captured the whole open web, or someone copy and pasted an article and to read it or put it on instant paper or pot And the same thing happens with books. So my book published by McMillan, The Hawk and the Dove, you know, on Paulmitz and George kennon the history of the Cold War, I never licensed it to an AI model, but you know, it went out to libraries and then this code or you know whatever hacked the stream of all bookstually, like, there are all these data sets that include the words in my book that have been fed into all these large language models.
Speaker 1: And that feels weird having realized that, what do you do?
Speaker 3: Well, it's complicated it because there's a there's a question of whether the AI companies argue that what they've done is fair use. They just taken data and they transform it, right, because you can't write the Hawk and the Dove with one of these things. It's transformative. It's just like they went into the library and read and then not only that, because it's from a data set and they didn't know the contents, it's kind of a secondary copyright violation. It's a little bit different if they had come and taken Hawk and the Dove, photographed it and fed it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they found a well in the street rather thant taking out of book gives correct, right.
Speaker 3: Or they went to a thrift store and they bought a big bucket of things and there were some wallets in there, right. So you don't have a lot of options. The option that I am most supportive of is being pursued by a company called pro Rada, and what they are doing is they are building a kind of reverse AI tool that will evaluate the answer given by a large language model way the sources that went into it, and then overlay payments process. So it's a little bit like askap right, And the idea is if an answer like open AI answers a question and their answer based on the work that pro Rada has done derives from.
Speaker 1: The Hawk and the Dove.
Speaker 3: You know, one percent derives from the Hawk and the Dove, and you know open Ai makes one penny off of it, then I should be given some fraction of one percent of the one penny, right, And that's the pro Rada is trying to.
Speaker 1: Develop that as a business model.
Speaker 3: I'm on the board of Them's a full disclosure, but there are a couple of companies out there that are trying to all this compensation issue because a lot of value has been created from copyrighted materials to which the copyright holders were being given nothing. There's not been a fair exchange of value, and that's a problem you.
Speaker 2: Have to solve.
Speaker 1: So you'll now see you at the Atlantic. But you're previously editor of Wired, and I have to ask you, I mean, what's your advice, honestly to us as we start this new podcast as to how to how to approach this set of stories and problems.
Speaker 3: I'm drawn to. I call it tech enthusiasm, where I love tech right and I think two things are true. One tech is amazing and two in the long archive time, technology makes the world better for people. That said, I was never a perfect fit with the sort of the pure optimism of early wires. It was also as the the position of pure optimism kind of fit the tech industry when they were the underdogs, but once they were the dominant forces in the world, it was a less appropriate response any case, So you should choose your own you of how you come to tech, right and true. But like my view of tech is I'm constantly trying to learn about it. I'm constantly trying to understand it, and every now and then I stop and I'm like, wait, this is horrifying. But then I'm like, you know what, like I'm enthusiastic. I'm just gonna keep going. We're gonna keep looking at this stuff. Because one of the risks in AI is that you look ahead and you're like, God, this is I'm terrified of this. And then you say, you know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna like just I'm gonna be like King Canute, I'm gonna say the AI is not happening. Like on principle, I refuse and I'm not going to use AI because I don't like what it's doing to the world. Well, that's not the answer, because it's not going to go away just because you find it scary. You're just gonna miss the moment where you can shape it in a way that maybe makes it less scary.
Speaker 1: When we come back the Atlantic's decision to partner with Open AI and how that decision was received in the newsroom, I also really enjoy your newsletter, which is another content output that we haven't had it.
Speaker 3: I didn't even mention that, Yeah, that's a fun one.
Speaker 1: In June, you picked up an essay by Leopold Aschenbrenner called Situational Awareness, which I was both, you know, quite curious about it and also slightly put off by the tone.
Speaker 3: Oh I mean, I mean, I don't think I've ever read an essay that has the ratio of insight to alienation in that essay from like it ends up like ten times as insightful as a lot that you read and like ten times as alienating. Right, And so you know, begins with this sense that you know, because the author got really high grades at Columbia, you should trust him to like see the entire future, and he sees the future nobody else does, and you're like, okay.
Speaker 1: He's also an open AI researcher.
Speaker 3: There, right, So we worked at open A left, left, open AI, and he's he is, in fact, exceptionally bright, right. And I've spent time talking to him, exceptionally fun to talk to. And when you talk to him, it's a little easier than when you read the essay. But in case the essay says, hey, everybody, wake up, this is what happens if there's exponential AI. Here's how the improvement curve works, and here's what it will be able to do soon. And now we've watched AI go from being as smart as a toddler to being as smart as a high school student to being as smart as a pH d student. Now let's just extrapolate to when it's smarter than a Nobel Prize winner, and then when it's building a model by itself that we have no control over. And maybe he's wrong. Lots of people challenge his assumptions, and the question of whether AI will scale exponentially is hotly debated. The part that I found dangerous, that I think probably contributed to a series of mistakes that we are making right now, is the view. Okay, if you play it out, then whoever controls AI will control the world, and so therefore we need to really make sure that it's controlled in the United States and not in China. So therefore we need to have a very sagonistic relationship to China. We need to make sure they can't hack in and get our systems, and we need to set our foreign policy to prevent them from getting AI. And you can see not that Leopold Ashenbrener is responsible for, you know, the Biden administration Chips Act and anti China policies and technology, but he contributed to a conversation that I think has led to a set of policies that most people think are good, very aggressive policies by the United States to try to slow down China's AA industry, but that I think are bad.
Speaker 1: You credit that situation on the lne as I say, with a real policy.
Speaker 3: Shift, Like Leopold Asherbrener was probably in high school right when Trump started like going after Walway. But if you look at the conversation this summer, why did SB ten forty seven in California, which was strict AI regulation, Why was that knocked back by God Gavin Newsom, governor of California. I think in no small part because of a fear that if we regulate the AI industry, China will get ahead, right, And I do think that the sort of China Hawk element of the AI industry contribute it to the defeat of the most systematic attempt at regulation. And I do think that Ashrabnner's essay played a small role in that.
Speaker 1: Which I guess segues to You're no longer just an editor. You're also a CEO, right, I am, yes, And I'm wondering how do you think differently about AI as an editor versus a CEO.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a CEO you have all these other hard questions. Right, So as an editor and a writer, you're just like finding things that are interesting, You're sticking your curiosity. You're as a CEO, I have to think about how it will literally change my company and prepare for that. Right, So, what will it make easier? What will it make harder? How will it change jobs in the future. If you assume that ai wei should be powerful, should you be hiring a different kind of person? Right, So you'd be hiring somebody who's more flexible about what they do as many different skills as opposed to very narrow skills. Right, So you make those decisions. That's one category of decisions. Probably the most pressing is you have to anticipate how it will change your field and then how you operate in it. So how will it change the production of media? But one of the things that's doing is it's changing how search engines work. Right, We're going from search engines to answer engines. Answer engines don't drive traffic. We get the plurality of our readers from search engines. So if search engines go away and we move to answer engines, where will our readers come from. Gosh, there won't be as many of them. Okay, can your business survive and thrive in that ecosystem? So that is a hard problem. So what will it mean if AI becomes as good as Leopold Ashburnner thinks? And I asked him this question, like how long will you know serious publications have a mote? And he's like, oh, three years, right right. I was like, great, right, But if you believe in his view, in three years, anybody will be able to say, hey, make me a magazine that's just like the Atlantic right in you know, two seconds, and so a guy in Macedonia will make a pseudo Atlantic, and so you'll have these new competitors that you're dealing with, right. So then there's a third category, which is how do we interface with the large language model companies? And this is the question related to what you asked me earlier about my book, and that is like, okay, which ones we make deals with?
Speaker 1: Which ones do we sue?
Speaker 3: Right? And then there's kind of a fourth question of you know, what products can we build and are there things that we know about media that we can build using AI that we can then productize and turn into companies.
Speaker 1: One of the questions this conversation raises, of course, is if I'm a reporter at The Atlantic and I hate this conversation, I might think, you know, the sea of the company thinks that in two or three years there may no longer be a need for me, and this company may be replaced by a Macedonian spoof. How do you respond to that?
Speaker 3: Well, So, first off, I don't believe that it's going to that fast.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: That is the view of Leopold Ashenbrenner and others, Right when he said, you know you have a mote for three years. I disagree. I think the mote is much longer, right, And why do we have a mote. Well, first off, there's no indication whatsoever that AI can write with any kind of style and voice, Like it is terrible at it ask it to try to style in voice. It can write poems that are kind of silly. It cannot report right, and it can't go out and have a conversation with the source the stuff that makes Atlantic stories Atlantic stories. It can't do right. We just had Robert Worth out reporting with Ukrainian fighters right in the streets of Ukraine. Do you really think, even if you believe the most optimistic AI scenarios, that somehow your AI bought is going to be able to get these guys on the phone and like we'll be able to talk as Honestly, there's no way in hell that's.
Speaker 1: Going to happen.
Speaker 3: So the Atlantic and serious long form publications that write with style, that do complicated stories with interesting narratives and do reporting is going to be around for long, long, long, long, long long time doing the things that it does. Now all of that said, I would be a fool not to think about how AI is going to advantage competitors. The publications that will be started by Macedonians with really good prompt engineering skills, and that will exist in a web where search is totally different. Right, And so I think that the Atlantic will be publishing the kinds of stories that we.
Speaker 1: Publish as far as I can see.
Speaker 3: And I also think that preparing for World of AI is something that is extremely important for me SEO.
Speaker 1: So that said, your own magazine, I think refer to the deal you made with open Ai as a devil's bargain, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, this was a deal that members of our editorial team were not fully supportive of. Like you know, I don't tell them what to write, and they don't tell me what to do. And I am one hundred percent, fully, completely, absolutely of the belief that that deal was good for the short term of thee, for the long term the Atlantic, and for the long term the journalism industry, And I believe can.
Speaker 1: You explain exactly what the deal was just?
Speaker 3: Yes? So the deal is that open ai agrees to pay the Atlantic sum of money or a period of time. In return, it is given the right to train on the Atlantics material, meaning that the models that are developed in that window, not afterwards, are allowed to train on Atlantic content. And when they build a search engine, they will be able to link to Atlantic stories and reference them. And so if you go to the search engine and chat GPT and you ask about something that has happened, you will get links to Atlantic articles. You will not get links to the New York Times. Most the New York Times issuing them does not have good deal. And so we have gone through a process whereby we have been giving feedback on how that search engine works. It doesn't work when the links are appropriate, when they're not. So it is our belief that the elements of the deal, which include some influence on shaping the search product, which is massively important to media, right, some referral traffic, which is extremely important because as I mentioned, as we switch from search engines to answer engines, our traffic will decline substantially. And then an exchange of value over the data that was used to train. The reason why many journalists, including many the Atlantic, didn't like it is that they you know, they don't trust open ai as a company. They feel like it wasn't a fair exchange of value. Right, there are lots of reasons why they opposed it. Now we have no fair exchange of value. We have gotten nothing from the other large language model companies that have trained on our data, and there are many of them. So the open Ai deal was the one major deal with a big AI company that we signed and that we announced.
Speaker 1: And I guess one of the concerns, of course, that the training data perhaps becomes less relevant, and that this may be a very advantageous deal for open Ai in the short term, and at the other side of it, they won't need to renew.
Speaker 3: Well, that's interesting, right, because then the argument there, If that was one's argument, then you would write, well, actually, we should have made a longer deal.
Speaker 1: Did you consider Carchie a longer deal?
Speaker 3: No, we didn't, And the reason we didn't is that the price for training on high quality media content is going to change substantially in the next couple of years. And it's going to change based on a couple of factors, one of which is their legislation mandating that they're being exchange of value, Another of which is will the New York Times and the other lawsuits be successful. If they are, the price of this training will go up. If they're not, the price will go way down. And so we made it to your deal on the expectation that maybe in two years the price will go up, and therefore we'll be able to get more money. It may be a risk, and in fact, the prices that are being reported in the press for training have gone down substantially since you know, we made that deal in May. And that may be because the AI companies think they're going to win their lawsuits, right. It may be because they think that they don't need us because synthetic data is so good. It may be that they figured out how to train models, and like, as an environmentalist, I'd like them be able to train models unless datacause he uses less energy. That maybe that the AI companies are getting enough from there that they don't need you know, Atlantic stories, right, or they need the Atlantic stories less, so their perception of the value of the tokens that we have is dropping. So maybe I should have sign a five year deal if I could have seen in the future. On the other hand, if the New York Times wins their lawsuit, or the European Union passes legislation, or any of a number of other things happen, the price will go way up, in which case great. One of the questions that will come up in the lawsuit is can you prove that there is value to the content that we scraped, and clearly there is because.
Speaker 1: You're paying somebody else, paying somebody else, right, So.
Speaker 3: That was something we put up publicly because there was a perception, Wait, you're actively working against the New York Times, why don't you stand in solidarity with our brothers in Times Square? And it's like, well, hold on a second, this actually does help them. Now, maybe it would have helped them more if we join the lawsuit, but our job is to find the best deal for the Atlantic, as much as we love the New York Times and want to help the larger cause of media.
Speaker 1: Were there any kind of people you spoke to who were all the opposite opinion to you, who came around to your opinions through this prest question.
Speaker 3: I think one of the arguments that, for better or worse, shifted people's minds is, well, they've already done this scraping, right, And so if what you want is an open AI that has no knowledge whatsoever of the Atlantic, you can't ever get that that doesn't exist. It's just sort of an unfortunate fact. I wish we could have prevented, and we had somehow through some combination of heroic efforts, to remove stories from Reddit, right, Like, you know, we had prevented that from happening. But I think a lot of people realized oh wait. I also think another argument did work. So Jessica Lesson, Who's very smart and a good friend, published in the Atlantic the day before we announced the deal, this argument saying, hey, media company should not make deals, right, and look at what happened to all the companies that made deals with Facebook Watch. A lot of sort of young social media based companies of ten years ago were screwed.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And so the conclusion that I think many people have drawn is don't do deals with big tech companies. And I think an argument that was somewhat persuasive encountering that was, hold on, don't do bad deals. But how do you think the Atlantic gets subscribers? What is the number one mechanism we have for driving subscription? It is Facebook Ads?
Speaker 1: Is that really?
Speaker 3: And so I think this kind of absolutist pure position no deals with tech companies once you get a little more granular. Oh wait, okay, no stupid deals. Now you can still argue that this deal we made was a stupid deal, right, But I think we had some success in kind of moving people from the absolute position of no deals.
Speaker 1: More insights from Nicholas Thompson when we come back. I want to close with a quote from David Foster Wallace that I also found in one of your newsletters, which was, the technology is just going to get better and better and better, and it's going to get easier and easier and more and more convenient and more and more pleasurable to be alone with images on the screen to us by people who don't love us but want on money, which is all right in low doses, right, But if that's the basic main statement of your diet, you're going to die in a meaningful way. You're going to die.
Speaker 3: It's one of the most prescient and wonderful quotes. And it's so he was just talking in an interview. But the people who don't love you but do want your money, right, Like, how can you say it better than that? And you know, I am a tech enthusiast. I love taking things apart. I love trying to understand them. I ask to try really hard to make sure my kids are off their phones. I like make sure I have lots of time off my phones. I like to spend time in the mountain, right so I think what he said is perfect, which is and I probably would go for medium doses, not low doses. But you do also have to disconnect, and you do also have to be human, and I think he said it better than anybody. He said that. I think in like nineteen ninety six, so you know, an incredible writer and saw out into the future.
Speaker 1: But that brings me back to the beginning of the conversation and the running, because it's something you both use technology to excel at also in a way, something which is very medicinive.
Speaker 3: Totally disconnect. And as I said earlier, the process of getting faster is like getting your body and your brain more in sync with each other. And so when you do a workout, you want a minimal number of mental distractions, and so much of the benefit is the attention of your brain and your body in sync as you run whatever pace. It was five forty six, right, And that is a lot of what makes you better at the sport. And so if you are allowing anything to interfere with that mental physical process, you are doing a disservice to your training. And so there is a technological element of running. I do analyze my training. I do like, look at my historical heart rate data, you know, before a race, I will, you know, look very carefully at how I've done in certain you know, workouts and what it indicates, because that helps me choose the pace that I'll run at. Right, there's a whole there's a whole process, but it is also extremely important to disconnect, both as part of the training and as part of meditation.
Speaker 2: That was a really interesting interview.
Speaker 1: I thank you, Carol.
Speaker 2: I was going to thank you for doing it, but you know, that's what you want to do, that's your job. It's actually funny. Tory, one of our producers, was just saying that every software engineer that she knows is an avid rock climber just for this reason, like get away from the.
Speaker 1: Techt away from the phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Also why I'm such a big souna enthusiast the one place.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought, that's because you're a Ukrainian.
Speaker 1: Well, it's partly that the comment. But not being able to have your phone in the sonar as be part of why this sonar is so great.
Speaker 2: I have done something recently and not you know, to sound very to so twenty twenty one, but I don't sleep with my phone in my room anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm very proud of Yes, I born an alarm clock, but I haven't gone around to that's pathetic. Set it up.
Speaker 2: What I love in the discussion of like the way that technology optimizes human performance is like, there obviously is something inherent to a great athlete's performance like Michael Jordan's Michael Jordan regardless of his shoe in a certain sense. But technology does sort of.
Speaker 1: Truly enhanced performance, truly push the human being in the human body.
Speaker 2: Well and redefine like what it is to be a runner, what it is to be an athlete.
Speaker 1: I really like what Nick said about the way you get better at running is to quiet your mind, take the fear away. And the only way you can quiet your mind is with your mind. But for him to be able to see that his heart rate, even though he was maybe approaching panic in terms of how hard he was pushing himself, because of his heart rate monitor, he kind of knew that he was okay, and that allowed him to generate better and better time. So it wasn't the technology per se, he wasn't He didn't have like you know, air boosters and his trainers but the technology allowed him to quiet his own mind in a strange way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the things that I was thinking about is that, like, there are two ways that technology affects us. There are things that make us less human and there are things that make us more human. Like human enhancement can both be you become superhuman or you become more of who you are through personal optimization. Yeah, and I just thought that was very interesting. The other thing that I actually I was so happy you were interviewing him because I remember, I'm not going to compare it to some of like the great you know, world events, but I do remember where I was sitting on West Broadway when I got the alert, and I remember saying that the Atlantic is making a deal with Open AI to basically allow them to mine the Atlantic's what do you call catalog or archive? Is a turning point in the history of journalism where someone has decided that the way to make money is to make a deal with the devil. And you getting this as our first interview, I think, again, it might not seem like it's that big of a deal to people, but I think in the conversation between you know, what is the future of journalism how do these newsrooms monetize in a way that does not cannibalize the thing that the newsroom does. And then to see the Atlantic make and other newsrooms now too, and other just content providers make that pact, I think is a real turning point.
Speaker 1: And actually one of the people who wrote a piece in the Atlantic really is a broadside against media companies partnering with AI companies was Jessicallessen, the CEO and founder of The Information who are going to be talking to on the show soon. But this is a hot, hot, hot button issue obviously. I mean Nick's point was basically, this is happening anyway, and I got us a some compensation and be some ability to show up in open AI's search engine, which will be useful for brand awareness and to drive subs in the future.
Speaker 2: It is if you can't beat them, join them.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit. If you can't beat them, join them.
Speaker 2: All right, Before I go into too much future tripping, I think this is a good place to leave it. And that is all for tech stuff today. This episode was produced by Shena Ozaki and Eliza Dennis, with help from Lizzie Jacobs and Victoria Domingez. It was executive produced by me, Kara Price, os Valashan and Kate Osbourne for Kaleidoscope and Katrina Norvel for iHeart. Our engineers are Biheed Frasier at iHeart and Kathleen Kanti at CDM Studios. Kyle Murdoch wrote our theme song, Thanks again to Nicholas Thompson.
Speaker 1: Join us on Friday for tech Stuff's The Week in Tech. We'll run through our favorite headlines, talk with our friends for form media, and try to tackle a question when did this become a thing? And please rate and review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify wherever you listen, and reach out to us at tech stuff podcast at gmail dot com with thoughts and feedback. We really do want to hear from you. Thank you.