Speaker 1: Ah, it's it could happen here a podcast about things falling apart, and today I'm I'm happy that we're we're recording this right now, James and Garrison, because we all just got a historic example of something falling apart. Elon Musk's Big silly rocket. We're recording this about a day or so after it exploded in mid air over the Gulf Coast, showering a turtle sanctuary with toxic waste. It's such a such a fun news.
Speaker 2: It's comically perfect.
Speaker 1: It is. Really, it is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Perfect unless it crash landed in a kitten farm. That couldn't really be Yeah perfect, No, I mean it. What's nice is that it's given me. It's made me feel young again because when I was a wee lad, I was attending a speech a debate rally in Cooper, Texas, when the last Space Shuttle to explode exploded directly over us, blowing out a bunch of the windows in the building and raining.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was, it was. It was. Yeah. So I whenever whenever a Space shuttle explodes over of some sort, explodes over Texas, I get powerful nostalgia.
Speaker 2: Well, they they slipped the surly bonds of Verse to blow out the windows in a high school in Kobe, Texas.
Speaker 1: That's that's how the line goes. It makes me think of all the other things I was doing that day, which was namely playing Lord of the Rings risk in a high school gym as we as we were wont to do great game, one of the better, one of the better risk covers. What are we talking about today, friendos, buddies, well shaple pals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking.
Speaker 3: About talking about one one man having having a fun time on Discord dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doing the human equivalent of being a space ship that explodes in the sky.
Speaker 3: Yes, I suppose Discord's not really a dot com. It's it's more, it's more, it's more of a more of an application now, but yes, it is what.
Speaker 2: Good Discord and that I'm permanently banned from.
Speaker 1: Please what did you do to Discord? You get from Discord? I should a video?
Speaker 4: Who's on Discord?
Speaker 1: Right? Like the worst people?
Speaker 4: All of the worst people?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We tried to start a Discord for the fundraising live show, and I tried with several emails, and every time it came back with ban evasion.
Speaker 4: Wow, that is extremely funny James.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I posted with chickens and it has never forgiven me.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, I mean, you know, those chickens didn't consent and they were technically naked, so I think it does count as revenge point.
Speaker 2: My chickens are always close. Little chicken pe.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're one of the pansies. There's a big conflict in chicken owners and James has taken aside. So we're talking this week about the discord, and this is one of those things we came into this kind of debating how much detail to go into. But when we brought this up, like this is something that gare, James and I is like a major thing in our bubble for the last like week, so we've all been following it. But when we brought this up in the work chat, Daniel had no idea that this had gone on. So we're going to start with a pretty basic overview of what what people are calling the largest leak of top secret US military and defense data since you know Snowden. So we're we're going to go over all of that right now. I think I want to start by talking about an MMO RPG called war Thunder.
Speaker 2: This is a can you break down MMO RPG for those of us.
Speaker 1: It's it's a it's like World of Warcraft. It's a big video game that is play you play online with a bunch of strangers. It's a free game. You use like modern military weapons to like fight other players. And it's kind of well known for having extremely realistic renderings and sort of depictions of the functionality of modern tanks and armored transports and fighter planes and naval vessels. Right so, and it's like it's it's a game for war nerds, right, Like you utilize like radar in a way that's broadly realistic, Like if you shoot, you know, if one tank shoots in another, the tank's weaponry works the way it's supposed to be in the real world. The armor is vulnerable where it's vulnerable in the real world. And this is like the appeal to the kind of nerds who play this game, and as you might guess, from a bunch of people who really want to, like in the most realistic way possible render and fight each other with modern military vehicles. A significant number of these dudes are members of various different like defense departments, right or at least are employed in some degree of various different national military forces several different As a result, like when arguments happen, you know, with any MMORPG, if you're playing like World of Warcraft right and like something gets nerved or something isn't working as well as it's supposed to, you'll get these like massive threads in the forums where people are like arguing about how something needs to be changed or changed back, or how there's a glitch or whatever. And because war Thunder is so based in realism, when you have these arguments online, it's often like, well, you know, the F fifteen shouldn't work this way, it should work this way, and people will get into arguments about that, and then someone will as happened like a couple of weeks ago, I think one we'll post sensitive information about the F fifteen strike Egle in order to like prove that it would function the way that they are arguing it should function in this forum debate. That happened earlier this year, and I think with the F fifteen, it wasn't technically top secret information. It was information that US citizens were allowed to have but not allowed to post online because that's a violation of something called ear which is a thing that governs the export essentially of military information and technology. But on another situation, I think, like a year or so ago information of it. I believe the F twenty two was posted that was extremely sensitive, that was like top secret. And these are again like some dude who's got some sort of military job and has a clearance and thinks that the right way to use it is arguing about the video game War Thunder. These are not just Americans. I want to be clear about that. In July of twenty twenty one, there was a player arguing about a Challenger two tank who claimed to have been a former tank commander with the British Army, and he shared information from the Army Equipment Support publication. The information had been labeled unclassified, but it was actually classified. And other lakes has been a little more gall A French Army soldier leaked information on the Clerk main battle tank that was top secret, and a Chinese user leaked capabilities of the Chinese Armies DTC ten one hundred and twenty five millimeters anti tank round that should not have been leaked. So this shit keeps happening in war Thunder. It's like a joke like the war th Under account when these discord leaks happened a week or so ago, like joked about it. But like the thing that the game is known for, Yeah, is these like different people in different national defense apparati can't stop themselves from like leaking stop secret info about vehicles.
Speaker 2: It's very funny. It gets the only reason I know why war th Under exists. I think it's the only reason why we know a decent amount of what like by we here and meaning that could like I guess Western militries no, which of course we are all members of. No about the Russian main battle tanks is from war th Under leaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you have to assume I would be surprised if no one had tried just like having you know, an agent from a national security agency in uh oh, for sure they're trying to like be like trying to like provoke arguments about Chinese tanks or whatever.
Speaker 1: I'd be shocked if that hasn't happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the overlap between like people who might play warth Under anyway and people who might work for a national security agency, like those Van diagrams are.
Speaker 1: A circle, yeah, exactly, So it's one of those things where this happens a bunch on war thunder, but it's just kind of something that people joke about because these leaks like they're meaningful, I guess to like militaries care about them, but like you sitting at home, you hear like, oh, hey, details of like the couple of construction of the new abrams like models as leak. That's not like the same as I don't know, Chelsea Manning leaking information about like war crimes by the US military in Iraq, or Edward Snowden leaking info about like the NSSA, Like it's a little less relevant to most. What we started seeing a couple of weeks ago is documents top secret labeled documents, like actual pictures of straight up unredacted top secret US Defense Department documents just kind of filtering out over various discords, and they were kind of appearing in random little bits. You'd see one that was like an update on the war in Ukraine that was kind of showing concerns that the US military had about the ability of the Ukrainian military to carry out the counter offensive that everybody's expecting in the near future. You had like casualty estimates from the US military. Another document that was leak had like a bunch of information inside the Russian General staff. So these are number one, very serious leaks, right you're talking about, especially with the leaks from inside Putin's kind of inner circle. You're talking about leaks that could potentially expose a major US source inside the Russian government. And you're also talking about leaks that just kind of reveal the degree to which the CIA has an enormous amount of information apparently at least about what's happening inside the Kremlin. You know. So these are very significant leaks, but they didn't appear. They weren't being like you know, kind of filtered out and released by an agency like Wiki leaks, They weren't being sent to journalists. They were just kind of showing up in these you know, Discord is basically a series of chat rooms, and they were just kind of showing up in different discords. So this is, you know, a mystery, and it's the kind of mystery that like a certain kind of person who is extremely online is not going to be able to get out of their head and is going to kind of try to trace back to its origin and in the case of this specific mystery. The nerd who could not get it out of their head and decided to trace it back to its origin was my former boss at Bellingcat, Eric Tohler. Eric is a very nice guy, probably the most talented and skilled researcher that I've ever met in my life. And you know, Eric started seeing these, like everyone else, these top secret documents, and was like, where the fuck are these coming from? And this is one of those things we'll talk about. It's become extremely controversial among a certain set of people in the day since. But when this kind of started, Number one, you can't really deny there was an intense public interest in figuring out what the origin point of these was, because that was the only way to figure out are the these actual leaks. When you see something that's just like listed as a top secret document randomly on the internet, if you call up the US government and you say, hey, is this real top secret in They're not going to say yes, right Like, you don't get that response from them, I mean.
Speaker 3: And especially right now with all of like the AI chat generation tools, generating fake documents is one of the main things people are doing for disinfo. Generating like fake soce fake documents. Of course, you can like edit things the further to like make them seem more realistic. But yes, someone who was extremely curious is going to wonder if this is actually like a real thing or if this is just some like bullshit prank or something.
Speaker 1: And there were edits of these documents did also go violin. In fact, Tucker Carlson, one of the original documents shows kind of US estimates for killed in action on Ukraine's on the Ukrainian side and on the Russian side in the war. Obviously, it showed more Russian casualties than Ukrainian casualties, which is consistent with all previous reporting, but the edit of it showed something like many times as many Ukrainian dead as Russian dead, which is, you know, something that was valuable for the people who are trying to argue that, like this war is unwinnable on behalf of the Ukrainians. Guys like Tucker Carlson, who covered the leaks on his show and knowingly used the fake edit of the league, I can't imagine. I have to assume it was knowingly because it had been very well exposed by that point. So there's really no other explanation I think. But anyway, the fact that there were edits of these documents that were not legitimate going around, it's just kind of part of why there was a legitimate public interest in trying to figure out where the fuck are these things coming from. Eric is again an extremely good researcher, and through a mix of open source intelligence and eventually just kind of like calling up people and talking to them, he found what appeared to be the source of these leaks, which was an invitation only clubhouse on discord of like thirty ish people, most of whom were teenagers. Over time, it kind of became clear that this group was a bunch of kind of young people who had gotten together during the pandemic to talk about, you know, games. These guys are all gamers. Most of them were like kids in high school. They kind of were cut off from their friends, so they wanted a place to be social. They would share memes, including like extremely racist, you know, borderline Nazi shit. They would like watch movies over and like chat over kind of the voice app. They were all what you call trad cats, which is like basically weirdo Catholic fundamentalists, like I think a lot of them deny Vatican two, that sort of shit. It's like a whole thing. A lot of them were that at least, so there were a lot of like praying in anyway, a bunch of weirdos. And the head of this group of weirdos was the oldest of them, a guy who was known on like in the discord as og and Og. He's a was you know, in the Land of the teenagers, the person in their early twenties who can buy an AR fifteen is king. And so this guy is in his early twenties. He's in the military, which he talks about. He posts videos of him like shooting guns and like you know, saying racial slurs and like signposting to these like you know, weird memes and stuff that they're all into, which to them like makes him seem extremely cool. Right. It's one of those things when you kind of read the different coverage of this, it's there's a little bit of like weird culty stuff going on. I don't know if I'd say that it was a cult in more than just like.
Speaker 4: In every discord server is a cult exactly.
Speaker 1: The insular online communities like this very often reproduce aspects of cult dynamics.
Speaker 6: Right, Hey, everybody, Robert here.
Speaker 1: We had a little audio error obviously in the recording. I wanted to clarify this section because it was kind of garbled. The name of the discord server they were in was thug Shaker Central, which is potentially a reference to one of a couple of things. You'll find some disagreement about this online, but it's not really relevant. That's the discord name that they've worked under. You get, like the overall point of this, it's a bunch of like kids who are fans of games. They're fans of like this this YouTuber Oxide. It's like a little group of dudes who got together via fandom and the pandemic and over the course of years developed like a shared culture. And part of the shared culture is this guy og who's the older one of them, you know, trying to keep them aware of what he thought was important about kind of global politics, and that particularly included aspects of like battlefield conditions in Ukraine, information about North Korean ballistic missiles, all of this kind of stuff that he had access to because spoilers. He was in an Air National Guard wing as an intelligence and like it was in the intelligence sector of like an air National Guard ring, and he had a security classification, right, And once this all got revealed, people are like, why the fuck is a twenty one year old because that's this guy's age have access to top secret data, And everyone who knows anything about the way our government classifies information was like, most of the people access are like twenty Yeah, fights are wars fifty year olds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it does genuinely like you know, like if we've been around war and conflict of the people who do it quite long, I think most people would be genuinely burn away that most people doing it are children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this has caused like obviously some problems before for the Defense Department, but it's also like it's kind of a thorny problem because like most of your workforce are always going to be young kids. These are spoilers shitty jobs often and that's the only one who will do a.
Speaker 6: Lot of them.
Speaker 1: And also, just like if you're fighting a war, most of the people you have that are going to be tasked with field intelligence are going to be in this age. And see, it's not at all weird that this guy had access to this shit. What is weird is that. So he starts off kind of like arguing, you know, sometimes he'll bring up stuff that he knows that's from classified documents while he's arguing, you know, about the war in Ukraine or whatever with these friends online, and then he starts doing like a series of regular updates where he'll basically he'll type out details from like a bunch of different top secret documents and these massive, long and apparently kind of hard to read posts, and he'll just like post them into the chat to kind of keep his friends abreast of what he thinks is, you know, important. But he gets frustrated over time that like they're not reading this shit because it's really boring and like kind of weird to just infoed up top secret info, and they don't. These kids don't again, like these other folks are like in high school. They don't really realize where he's getting the info or what he has, but they do. The folks who do pay attention recognize over time that like stuff will happen in the real world that corresponds to something, and he posted a couple of weeks ago and they're like, wow, he seems to have like actually really good information. Eventually, og gets frustrated because he's not no one's paying attention to his posts, so he starts taking photos of just the top secret documents themselves and posting them in the discord day.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Now this is unbelievably illegal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really crossed a line there. I just don't believe it would be dumb by the way it was illegal before, but this is really illegal in terms of like allowing yourself making it so much easier for the consequences of you're fucking around to find you like that. He crushed the rubicon right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and and now we have to face the hard question is this guy an illegalist king or is he more problematic? And this is this is the question that we have to actually focus on now stop because it is. It is, on one hand, pretty funny. It's exceedingly funny.
Speaker 1: There's zero argument there among people who aren't shiptheads. It's very funny. Yeah, it's very.
Speaker 2: Funny that like he could be doing an illegalism with that with with zero intention of doing so.
Speaker 1: Now, I do think there's a some people have kind of errantly called him a whistleblower.
Speaker 4: I just not that's not active. That is that is not what he's doing.
Speaker 3: He's a Nazi who's posting topsycret information to impress children online.
Speaker 1: That's right, Garrison. I do think we have to. I think we have to. Let's let's dig into that a little bit, because a whistleblower is somebody who exposes information from inside of an organization for some sort of purpose. Right. They believe that what's going on is wrong. They think that, like there's they believe there's some sort of public interest in information that is being kind of siloed inside of an organization that they're a part of, and they release that organization. Right, Fundamentally, that's what a whistleblower is. This guy was telling his friends and this thirty person discord, do not post these anywhere else. This is not stuff that you're allowed to share. This is just for your eyes because we're friends. Right. He does not intend for this to get out. But here's the thing. All of his friends in this group are like dumb kids, and just like those people on war Thunder, they start getting into arguments with people outside of the discords yet and other discords discords. One of them is a fan discord for some other YouTuber. One of them is the discord is a Minecraft discord, and they get into arguments with random other users about like the war in Ukraine and stuff. And when they're having those arguments, they'll hear someone make a point and they'll think back to a top secret document that OG posted, and they'll be like, well, I know you're wrong because I've seen some CIA like satellite footage that shows that this isn't accurate. And rather than being like, well, I guess I can't prove this person wrong on the Internet without exposing my friend in our private discord to being imprisoned for the decade, they just grabbed top secret documents that he posted and they post them in these other discords, and that's how this shit breaks containment right now. It's one of those things I do want to note that, like, these are not generally speaking, super pleasant people. OG is the kind of guy who, like one of his big arguments that he tries to like make to these kids, he like claims that based on the top secret info he has, which he posts, nothing that proves this. The mass shooting in Buffalo, New York by that Nazi at that majority you know, black frequented grocery store, that that was like a government plot to institute gun control, and shit, it was a false flag. So he's not just posting good. He's like lying here too, because obviously there's no intelligence to post backing that up. He just he's just kind of trying to It's a mix of he's trying to like prove that, you know, he's trying to make arguments about like what's happening, you know, in various overseas conflicts using a US intel, But he's also just like spreading different kind of conspiracy theories that he has to these kids who are by and large looking up to him. There's a couple like the Washington Post has done some really deep reporting where they talk to some of these kids where they're like, yeah, man, we loved him. Like when you realize this shit had broken containment, he like called us and we were all crying because we knew he was going to go to prison. Like there they seem legitimately distraught. Yeah, there's like lines like he said something had happened and he prayed to God that this event would not happen, but now it's in God's hands. Like these are like weirdo, ashy kids I hesitate to, like condemn like the literal children too much because they're very vulnerable. This guy is like, this guy is a bad person who is deep, like in a very fucked up way, influencing this group of like thirty ish teenagers on the internet in his like weird politics. It's not great. Now, that's separate from the question of, like is there a value to these leagues, which we can talk about in a little bit. But so as we've talked about, Eric Tohler tracks down where this is happening, tracks down like the name og publishes a piece on Belling Cat. It's sort of ripped off by like, I don't know, it does like every other newspaper in the world, and then additional reporting is done. Belling Cat and the New York Times team up and they eventually like track down and publish an article on who this guy is an airman named Jack Tik Sarah, And they publish an article about that about a day before this guy gets arrested by the FBI. And it's one of those things, one of the if you look at the FBI Affi David, it kind of makes clear how the FBI cracked this guy down and found him because they did so you know, using the resources they had before The Times did online. People have been going after The Times and Eric for like revealing this guy to the government, which is not the case. Basically, once it became clear what had gotten leaked, the FBI, because they had access to you know, the systems by which people utilize and get access to sensitive compartmented information, found out who had most recently, like on the days that kind of correspond to the leaks, pulled up information about that and narrowed it down to this guy Jack, and they had access to Like one of the things they did is they called Discord and talked to Discord, and Discord helped them track down where the leaks were originating from. And then because they could see that the account that had posted you know, the top secret data originally was a paid account, they were able to like provide the FBI with this guy's home, a dress and shit. This is exactly what you'd expect for the f.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the FBI has a lot of non open source means to do this type of investigation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are not doing what Eric is doing and just kind of like clicking through shit for hours and hours and hours until they figure out where it's come from, Like they have they are the FBI, they have access to other things, and.
Speaker 2: It's what you'd expect from discord too, right, Like they will comply with whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, they absolutely these are top secret that like if they don't have a legal choice here, they're a gigantic company, they're going to comply. So this is the kind of thing where like one of the there's this big argument, I don't even even though it's big, but there's definitely like a weird chunk of the left that has like leaned on because the right has immediately started calling this guy a whistleblower, fucking Marjorie Taylor Green was like he's a Christian and he's a leaker trying to expose crucial details about our government, And no he wasn't. He was like trying to fucking groom some teenagers and they posted without as permission.
Speaker 3: And a lot of a lot of the more conspiracy type stuff is like trying to call out like you know, it's a lot of the more conspiracy related stuff is related to the Russian invasion of Ukraine and making it seem like the US is doing things that are wrong and secretly helping the Ukrainians too much, and it kind of it it plays into this weird, weird thing that people have against the way Biden has been handling the geopolitics around the Russian invasion, and it's like it it plays into a whole bunch of right when you're talking points we've seen around Russia.
Speaker 4: You know, we've seen this.
Speaker 3: Type of stuff get talked about by Tucker Carlson quite often.
Speaker 4: There' there's a there's a whole bunch.
Speaker 3: Of like little nodes that this that that this touches on, and we even see we even see stuff like that among like you know people who are authoritarian communists, right, who are who are still pro Russia despite Russia not being a communist country, but still like being like oh there, you know, this is something he's trying to expose the things that are people are doing wrong to Russia.
Speaker 4: And it's like okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and to me it's one of them. And there's also you've gotten among some chunks of this attitude that like well, you know, I don't care why he did it or like what he is in his personal life. Any leak you know of the US military machine is good and should be you know protected. And it's like, for one thing, this guy like nobody knew where these things were coming from. There was a vested need in sort of figuring out what the origin point was, to figure out if they were accurate. But for like another thing, I don't know, Man, you can argue about like what point you know, the digging, whether or not, like the it's ethical to dig this shit back to its source. I would argue that, like people also have a right to know if there's some sort of fucking like like if the documents were fake or altered in some way, there was a reason to be trying to figure out the providence of this shit. But more to the point, like I think it's good to have access to like data from inside of our military. I think that's that's broadly positive. And when I look at these data, or when I look at what's been leaked, I don't think most of it's you know, one of the concerns that's always that always exist when you're talking about a leak of data is like, is this going to expose like potentially innocent people to any kind of harm. And there is a potential for that with some of this, because some of it dealt with Ukrainian military readiness for the upcoming offensive, and like, well, like I don't really care if some guy inside the Kremlin who's like a member of the Russian General Staff and a double I don't care if that guy, like something bad happens to him. He's probably not a great dude. But I do care about like a bunch of random Ukrainian soldiers potentially getting harmed. Now, I will say, from what I can tell from this, I think the odds of that are pretty low. It looks like this has impacted kind of the timetable for the counter offensive, but I don't know that it's I haven't seen any evidence that it's exposed things in a way that's like going to cause loss of life, although it's a little bit unclears to whether that not that might happen. But also while I think it's accurate to say, I'm not saying evidence that like a lot of people's safety have been harmed by these leaks, it's also not you know, it's not anything like what Snowden did or what Manning did. Right again, Manning revealed you know, videos like the Collateral murder video, evidence of like breakdowns of order and things that I think are accurate to call war crimes that were being kind of hidden by our government. Whereas Snowden revealed intense details about an n Essay spying program, all of that's extremely relevant to the average American. Most of this is just kind of like wonky inside baseball military stuff, which again I'm not like sad that it's gotten out, but it's also not It really does seem like a bunch of shit that like a guy pulled out based on his own kind of like weird interest. It's not there's not like a strong unifying theme around them. And again, most of it's most of its shit that's not going to be interesting to the average person. One of the documents I just read an article about because like, we don't entirely know everything that was leaked right now, right there's been there's like the Post in the Time seem to have a pretty complete archive of what was leaked, but they haven't published anything because you know they're reading through it and you know, actually reporting it out. One of the articles that just came out was about the fact that the Ukrainians made some overtures to the Kurdish led self administration in in northern northeast Syria to Rojaba to the SDF in order to talk about the potential for them attacking Russian assets in elsewhere in Syria. When this has kind of gotten out over like Twitter, it's often been like described as, oh, the Ukrainians were going to team up with the Courage to attack Russia in Syria, like like this was an actual like Siria plan would actually set the document. It seems a lot less inciting than that. Basically, what happened was some folks on the Ukrainian General staff or whatever were like looking into the possibility, Hey, you know, is there any way that we could kind of anything we could pay the Kurds over in Syria to carry out an attack on the Russians. And apparently they had access to somebody who claimed to be in the SDF at least, and that person was like, we might be able to do something if you can get us some anti air defenses, right, which I don't know how Ukraine could possibly ship meaningful anti air defenses to northeast Syria. It's kind of bordered on all sides. There is some stuff. If you're a walk in the region, there's some interesting stuff about this, which is that the SDF basically responded, like, we could potentially do this, we couldn't attack Russian assets that are within the borders of the self administration. Russians are acting as peacekeepers there between Turkey and you know, it's kind of desire to invade the entire region. They're not great as peacekeepers. The Armenians will tell you that Russian soldiers are not great, great givers. But the SDF didn't want to, like shit where they were eating, right, so there was some debate about where they might be able to attack. One of the things that is really interesting about this week is that apparently Ukraine like talk to Turkey about this, because obviously the Turks consider the core of the SDF the YPG to be a terrorist organization. But when Ukraine was talking to them, they're like, hey, we might basically bribe these people to carry out an attack on Russian assets elsewhere in Syria. Turkey was like, okay, well, don't do it here or here here, because that's kind of close to some our guys might like that. That party is interesting. But again, none of this matters all that much because nothing happened as far as we know in December, Zelenski was like, no, don't proceed with looking into this. This is the kind of thing like the US military has, like plans for what happens if we have to fight Canada. This is the kind of thing defense departments do. And as far as I can tell, there's there's no evidence that went much for them, like a series of phone calls right which, by the way, the SDF denies ever happened. I don't know what exactly occurred. I don't know if it's hard for me to tell. Did the Ukrainians were they talking to someone who is actually a representative of the sdfs like military hierarchy, or was this like some guy that they thought was because maybe Ukraine doesn't have great context into the air like or did the US. And it's it's not kind of clear. Did the US maybe like hook them up with somebody, but it doesn't like at the at the end of the day, you can argue, as someone who follows the region, I find this kind of interesting. It's not exactly like groundbreaking, you know, in its importance, because nothing happened, no one did anything. This is like some guys in Ukraine thought about doing a thing and then decided not to, which is, you know, potentially interesting context, but we're not talking about the manning or the snowed in lakes here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's yeah, it's that particular document I think is kind of clearly they have access to people who have formally fought in Syria with the YPG right there.
Speaker 6: There are probably.
Speaker 2: Dozens of them now fighting in Ukraine without a volunteer units. Like it's it's not hard to see how this thought came up. But like you said, nothing really happened. It was just some people like spitboarling.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. There's some other like bits and stuff in here that are kind of interesting. One of them was there was a document in there about how the US had kind of like interfered in peace negotiations in Yemen due to like kind of concerns that they had about the fact that China was kind of brokering a degree of peace between the Houthi rebels in between the Saudi government. There's definitely some like slightly some somewhat shady shit from the US in there, but at the end of the day, it didn't derail the peace negotiations. It's just like, yeah, they were like like like and a lot of it's like that where it's kind of like, this is useful context. I'm glad historians or journalists reporting it out will have that. But at the end of the day, like the fact that like, oh hey, at one point in these peace negotiations the US was like, you know, being being kind of a kind of a dick isn't exactly like shocking. You know, It's not going to like change your overall concept of what's happening over there. It's not stuff that like is most of it's not stuff that's like massively important important. It is really interesting that the detail that our defense establishment apparently has from within the Russian government. I do think it's worth noting because we're talking, like when we talk about sort of the provenance of these and the reliability of these leaks as they regard the war in Ukraine, there's been a lot of talk about like, oh, this reveals that like the Ukraine doesn't have the capacity to carry out a counter offensive, or that the war's gone much worse for them than they think. It is kind of worth noting that, like, prior to the expanded Russian invasion, all US military intelligence suggested that the Ukrainian government was going to fold in a matter of days. So even though a lot of this is top secret info, that doesn't mean it's like one hundred percent accurate. Right Like our guys, like think back to the Iraq War, our dudes get shipped round constantly. It is again, this is all really interesting. And I will say two things. I think it's very funny that this guy nuked his entire life basically to impress children on a discord. I think it's extremely funny. I have laughed many a time at this. I also think it's like, like, as someone who is interested in this stuff, interesting that and good that we have this context. I don't think any of this is like massively surprising or shocking, Like the shit that's in that defense industry or a defense intelligence agency analysis of the Ukrainian position right now is like stuff that you would know if you were paying attention to the good ocent aggregators who have been covering the war, and if you've been like just reading good reporting on what's going on over there. I'll read a little bit of a summary from an article that's kind of going over some of the other stuff that appears to have been leaked. One details information apparently obtained through US eavesdropping on Russia's Foreign intelligence service and suggests that China approved the provision of lethal aid to Russia and its war in Ukraine early this year and plan to disguise its military equipment as civilian items. Another includes details of a conducted by Beijing on one of its advanced experimental missiles, the DF twenty seven hypersonic light vehicle, on February twenty fifth. It says the vehicle flew for twelve minutes across thirteen hundred miles and that it possessed a high probability of penetrating US ballistic missile defense systems. The documents contain new details about a Chinese spy balloon dubbed Killeen twenty three by US intelligence agencies, that earlier this year flew over the United States. They detail sophisticated so aalen's equipment. US intelligence agencies were aware of up to four additional Chinese bi balloons. The documents a and another previously unreported revelation, and so let's let's kind of break that down. One thing we have here is a basically an argument through from the US that based on their intercepts. They believe that China has approved provisioning weaponry, selling weaponry to Russia and disguising it as civilian items. That doesn't mean they have done this. It means that, like there's sigent that someone in our government has that says that they were. That could be disinformation from them. It could be out of date, it could be something like with this Ukraine and Syria thing that they talked about doing and then didn't do. It's interesting, I would say, if you are a defense industry reporter, it's something that would could should definitely spur you to further reporting because like that's really relevant if that's occurring. But it's not the final word on the matter. Meanwhile, you've got this thing on like, yeah, this hype masonic missile the Chinese had is good at shooting shit. Theoretically, this is, you know, the kind of thing that's that's interesting and I think is probably more accurate than you know, talking about the China providing lethal aid because you can kind of you know, theoretically you're looking at actual like data on how the missile has performed. It just seems like it's something that you've got more fidelity on But this is again to kind of contrast it with like the snowed and Manning leaks. Well, what do you what do you do if like the NSSAY is spying on people, Well, you could at least attempt to pass laws that restrict their ability to do that. Right, What do you do if there have been like war crimes committed by your military that were then cover it up, Well, you can at least attempt to prosecute people. What do you do if some other countries got a better missile? Well, there's not a whole lot for you to do sitting at home and like New York City or you know, fucking Austin, Texas, Right, Like, like, what are we to do about China's hyper I don't know. My assumption generally speaking, not that this is an interesting but my assumption generally speaking is that when you're talking about Russia, China, the United States, we can all murder each other if we wanted to write like, we've all got real nice missiles at this point, and it's this, you know, the Chinese by balloon stuff is like interesting. I don't think anyone's surprised by this, Like we knew there was a spy balloon. I assumed it had sophisticated surveillance technique. It's again, it's interesting that there were four other spy balloons in the area. But we simply know from older reporting that this happened like three or four times while Trump was in office too, So like, yeah, this is something we've known about. There's been reporting about. This is corroboration. That's interesting. Again, none of this is really like a sea change in our understanding of any of these conflicts. It is interesting context. Some of it's being blown up, you know, into stuff that it isn't. There's reporting and like the number of US servicemen in Ukraine that's being like spun is like we've got boots on the ground there and it's like, well they're like the seaguards and stuff. There's like twenty nine dudes that this like confirmed. Michael, Yeah, yeah, this confirms there's not a lot of US guys on the ground there.
Speaker 2: You send a lot of people when we when we're doing wars. But yeah, like every embassy in the world has a contingent of marines who make sure that it doesn't just get Yeah. I don't want to say bang ghazied, but.
Speaker 1: H yeah, yeah, you know, big Ghazzi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fine, and this is not new news to anyone who's been paying attention. But if you are Michael Tracy, this is brain melting shit.
Speaker 1: Michael Tracy is a weirdo quasi left journalist who like early on in the war, he didn't want to go into Ukraine very much, but he like hung out in Poland and took pictures of like US soldiers and like a facility that they were had been in for years, and was like, look, you know, this is evidence of the secret US support. And it's like, guys, I mean, for one thing, like look at this, Look at how much shit just leaked out because some kid wanted to impress children. If there were like like secret massive formations of US troops or even large like forces of US specops guys carrying out operations in Ukraine, how good do you think they'd be at keeping that shit secret?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: For one thing, like Special Forces guys get killed all the fucking time, Like they get killed, they get overrun, like like's it's a terrible risk for US to just like send Seal Team six in to fight the Russians when spoilers the Ukrainians have really good special forces guys every bit as good as ours actually, with a lot of cases more experience fighting this kind of war. And we're given and it's like, if you want to talk about US involvement, we're giving them their weapons. Like we're involved fucking plenty. There's just not much of a point in US like sending the green fucking berets into Bakamut, right, Like why that doesn't That doesn't help us at all, That doesn't like help our government. That's not like good for the military. It would be stupid anyway, whatever, anything else to talk about here?
Speaker 2: Do we want to talk about the Israel one?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, no, this is one of the interest although it's not. Again, basically one of the things that leaked is like the US is spying on all of its allies, which this leaks every couple of years. We're always spying on our allies, including Israel. Israel has spied on US a bunch. That's why they have nuclear weapons. Yeah, James, you want to talk about this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this is a document that basically what it alleges is that what has been alleged, perhaps incorrectly, is that it was encouraging Mossad staff to attend protests against net Yahoo when he was attempting his like auto goldpe, like his coup from within, whatever you want to call that, right, he was attempting to centralized power, right, yeah, yeah, yeah. Now it's a leaked like you said, it's a document. It says that I'm quoting from it or from reporting on it. At least senior leaders of the Mossad spy service advocated for Mossad officials and Israeli citizens to protest the new Israeli governments proposed judicial reforms, including several explicit calls to action that decried the Israeli government, according to Singet Signals Intelligence the Infamy. So actually Netanyahu himself has been asked about this, and it's worth he appointed the Mossad director, a guy called David I think it's by Neya, and he has also us He's on the record previously in news media before this saying that he had clarified to Mosad personnel who could attend protests and who could not attend, like because at a certain point in any of these things that you're not allowed to be explicitly political, right, and folks, even at a very low point in the US military that you're not supposed to say and do certain things. So, uh, there was a petition that went out earlier, and again this has already been reported. They that were sent by intelligence offices basically saying like, we'll go on strike. And there had been again like widely reported instances other Israeli military people saying that they would go on strike or not shot up for work if these judicial reforms went ahead. So I think again it's been kind of we've really stretched. What was interesting I thought was that it had a Feiser label on fire series to Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and if people aren't familiar, basically it allows US intelligence to wire tap things, which they can do it without warrant if it doesn't include a US person. So a US person is not just a citizen but also maybe a permanent resident something like that, right, like a person who has more rights than others in the United States. But in this case they seem to have got a fis a warrant, which it's very easy to get.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: It's like a closed courtroom procedure where they go to a judge and like it's not like an adversarial argument. Now's there's no one who argues that you should get the warrant, and so in practice they really always get these warrants. But what it showed they have to just prove its intelligence asset of a foreign power, and so it showed that at some point they went for a judge and said like, hey, you know, we need to wiretap some kind of some kind of communications or I'm using wiretap in the broad sense, right specific sense. But it's interesting I think that that they have some intelligence asset in the United States and said, hey, we know this an Israeli intelligence asset, and to be clear that this could just be shit that's going in and out of the embassy, and they've decided that that they needed to wire that and keep an eye on that. Now, given given that like it's Rail's foreign policies has been talking terrible for decades, but nettan Yahoo is a new degree of crazy. Uh, it is it's unsurprising that like anyone concerned with I guess international relations would would want to know more about what, yeah, is going on.
Speaker 1: And again like that's it's interesting context. As you noted, a lot of this had been reported out previously, so yeah, we're it's it's just like it's it's it's all interesting again. I'm my, my, my. My attitude here is like I'm glad this information is out and I don't really care what happens to Jack techsi Era. Like, yeah, in my in my ideal world, the policing infrastructure that's come down on this kid would not exist. But he made this decision knowing full well what happens when you leak top se Like it's one of those things where it's like, just just within the context of shit that's fucked up in our country. The thing I'm going to be upset about is not a kid leaking top secret info to win an online argument and then having it blow up on him, right, Like, especially not a kid who's a fucking Nazi. At the end of the day, he did something that was obviously done. It's like if some guy hops on Twitter under his real name and starts posting pictures of heroin and saying, hey, guys, this is my name and address. I'm selling hella heroin. Here's photos of a felony quantity of heroin and guns. Well, I think heroin should be legal, but I'm not gonna like, I'm not gonna like make a crusade out of that guy's arrest, because that's stupid. Like, you know what happens if you post, Hey, here is my at home address and name. Here is all of the heroin I'm selling. Yeah, you'll probably get in trouble because you have posted online a serious crime. Obviously that could be a problem for you. That's just not my primary concern in the world when people do really stupid shit and it blows up on them, and it's like again, leakers, you look at the way Manning proceeded, You look at the way Snowden proceeded. They were aware of the danger of what they were doing. I mean, you know, Chelsea did years in fucking prison. Snowden fled the country.
Speaker 7: That's there because they were whistleblowers. They under they under they understood this is a serious like this is very illegal, and I have to try to take steps to protect myself because the government's going to come after me. The thing about Jack is like just the level of like arrogance that like I can post this shit all day long and nothing will happen. It was like, well, for one thing, this is never going like it's information you're posting online, Like I don't care. There's no way to keep stuff completely contained within a thirty person discord. It's going to leak out, and when it is, the government's gonna want to know who the fuck is leaking this ship. And you took like took pictures of this shit inside his home, like it's just dumb. I'm not gonna like.
Speaker 1: I don't at the end of the day, I have no room in my sympathy for like a a fucking fascy kid who committed the dumbest crime possible and got in trouble. Like I don't know, there's there's people who I don't know. For example, we're camping in a forest and are getting charged with terrorism and facing longer penalties. Right, Jack might do fifteen years at the most, which is like fucked up, I guess, But you know, there's people facing a lot worse for a lot less and I just, you know, whatever, I don't care what happens to this kid. He seems like he sucks. I think the leaks are interesting. There's nothing in here that's like fundamentally changed my understanding of geopolitics, though, Yeah, that's where I am.
Speaker 6: I would agree.
Speaker 2: It is a useful reminder to keep your crime offline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't continue, continue to not post crimes on the internet. Again. If you're selling Heroin, don't post on Twitter. Here is my name and home address. Anyone want to buy some fucking China white, that's not a great idea.
Speaker 3: If anyone has any top secret documents, you can find me on the Star Wars the Old Republic forums.
Speaker 4: Just just post, just post them there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am part of the Jedi Initiative program, so just locate that and it'll be you.
Speaker 4: I'm sure, I'm sure I'll see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am on the the the NOZDRMO server on World of Warcraft. You can just hit me up under my uh my given name. Just d M me and we'll figure it out. You can send that ship to me over AOL instant messenger. That's how I take all of my leaks. Some secure platform.
Speaker 2: You can find me in a Mountain Project comments section where only good things happen.
Speaker 1: So we're all on war Thunder too, so you can get there too for work reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be shipped talking your your grading problem, but also accepting national security leaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do, we do it all, all right, everybody. That's an episode.
Speaker 4: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 3: You can find sources for It could Happen Here, updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.