Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, this is the R & B Money Podcast, and I'm your host, Jay Valentine.
Speaker 2: And today... I got a brother.
Speaker 1: On here I've been chasing down. And, you know, I just had to figure out if this is where he wanted to be or not. Because, you know, this is a special talent.
Speaker 2: I went online. I'm just going to tell y'all this.
Speaker 1: I went online and made a post saying, this man had one of the greatest R & B albums of all time. And I stood on that. I'm fighting people. I don't know why I had to fight. Because if you understand R & B music, This is part of the essence of what we do. I got a great brother all the way from Chicago that pulled up on me today.
Speaker 2: Listen, man, and he fresh off that Versus. My brother, y'all brother, Donnell Jones. What's up, my brother? Come on, man. Come on, man. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Man, I've been chasing you down, dog. What's up, man? For a couple years. What's up, man? I'm glad I'm here, man. This is beautiful, man. For real, man. Man, thank you, bro. Yes. Thank you. Thank you, bro. This is an honor for me. Man. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: There are artists that are just part of my DNA and are part of, really, my livelihood.
Speaker 2: Thank you, brother. That have made music that has really resonated with me, man. I appreciate that. For real. Bro, you're special. Thank you, brother. You're special, man. And I appreciate you pulling up on me, man. Thanks for having me, man. Absolutely. How you doing, man? Man, I'm great, man. I'm great.
Speaker 1: You know, like you said, just came off that Versus, man. It was amazing, man. You know, to celebrate with my brother Joe, man.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And, man, just beautiful, man. I'm happy about the state that R & B is in right now, you know? Yeah. Yeah, yeah. So we like to do this thing, man. We like to go back. Okay. We like to go back to young Donnell. Okay. Little Donnell. Okay. Chicago, man. Take me back. Take me back to Chicago, man. Chateau, man.
Speaker 1: I was in a group, man. My group was called Porsche, man. We did a lot of shows around Chicago.
Speaker 2: Porsche. Porsche. Huh. Okay. The reason why I don't... Not Porsche like... Not like the car. Not Porsche. No, not Porsche.
Speaker 1: We had a manager at the time and her last name was Porsche.
Speaker 2: Oh, so you. And so we called the group Porsche. You dealt with some shit that I dealt with as a kid. Oh, yeah. So I was in a group with my brothers called the Neutrons. Right. Which was my father's name. Okay. Backwards. Right. So, yeah, you was in somebody else's group. Yeah, we was in somebody else's group. Right, right, right. Shout out to Porsche. Yes. Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: So, man, we had the mad shows around Chicago, man. We had, we did shows with Art Kelly and Public Announcement. It was a lot of groups back then, so. We never could get signed, man. We never could get signed. How old are you at this point? At this time, I'm maybe 15, 16.
Speaker 2: Okay. You're a baby. Yeah, I'm about 16. I'm working at McDonald's.
Speaker 1: How I meet the group is I'm coming in McDonald's every day and I'm singing while I'm flipping my burgers. And the manager, he was like, yo, man, I like how you sound, man. You should try for our group. So I went to try it out for the group, man, and they put me in the group.
Speaker 2: They could hear you on the grill. Man, they could hear me on the grill, man. Man, I need to walk into more restaurants to see if I can find.
Speaker 1: The next Donnell Jones, man. They could hear me on the grill, man. You know, I'm flipping and, you know, I'm singing, man. And, yeah, man, he heard me.
Speaker 2: He was like, yo, man, you should come try out for the group. So I tried out, man.
Speaker 1: They put me in the group, and we just started doing a lot of shows around Chicago.
Speaker 2: How many guys? It was four. Four-guy group.
Speaker 1: This was around the time that, you know, like, Jodeci and Boyz II Men like mad groups out at that particular time Shy you know so it was that time and it was an amazing time in R & B man like what kind of music were y'all making obviously it was R & B music but like what kind were y'all like y'all Jodeci vibe aggressive it wasn't aggressive we was more on that that fairytale love okay you know where you're giving us the sun the moon the stars yeah yeah that kind of that's what we were on at that time but you said y'all couldn't get a deal couldn't get a deal man I mean we was in Chicago like It was only like one record company in Chicago that you could really get a deal from.
Speaker 2: And that was a lot of job records that they had an office there. But R.
Speaker 1: Kelly was already signed to that. Public Analysis was there. So we really couldn't get it there. So what happened was one year we went to.
Speaker 2: The BRE. It's called the Black Radio Explicit Convention. It was in Washington, D.C. at the time.
Speaker 1: I think it was like 94. And we had a showcase, but nobody came to the showcase.
Speaker 2: So we was in that joint like, man, like nobody came. You could hear a pin drop.
Speaker 1: So we went outside the hotel the next day and was like, yo, man, we're just going to sing for anybody who walk out. You know what I'm saying? And Eddie F happened to walk out, man. He was like, yo, man, I like what y'all brothers doing. Don't sing for nobody else. I'm going to sign y'all, you know, so y'all can just walk away. You know, don't, we ain't listen. Cause it's like, whatever, man, he just talking. But he actually, he came back and was like, yo, man, I'm telling y'all, I got y'all. So when you first, when it first kicks off for you, it kicks off with, with the group though.
Speaker 2: So he signs. He signs the group. Yeah. He signs the group. So did you.
Speaker 1: Initially, obviously, I know you wanted a deal, but were you apprehensive at all that you were signing to a hip-hop.
Speaker 2: DJ, producer?
Speaker 1: We just wanted to get signed. We were signing to, yeah. And then, not to mention, we knew Eddie F's work because he had just did the stuff with Intro. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so we knew, like, he knew exactly, like, what to do. Right. And we had a sound, but I knew going.
Speaker 1: With Eddie F, he was going to give us a different type of sound, which was going to be hip-hop and R & B. And at that time, Jodeci was out, Mary J. Blige was out, so music was changing. You know what I'm saying? And we needed that type of vibe. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, he was fully a part of that. Oh, yeah, for sure. Yeah, yeah. Okay, so you signed as a group. He signed as Porsche. Yeah, he signed as Porsche. Obviously.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, the group ended up breaking up. I mean, so what happened was when we got with Eddie, we went there, man, and he was doing an album called Let's Get It On, the Untouchables compilation.
Speaker 2: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: And so we worked with this producer by the name of Dave Hall.
Speaker 2: Absolutely know who Dave Hall is. Dave Jam Hall. Yeah. Did all Mary J. Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: And so he did a song for us. And at that particular time, we were all in his crib. We all stayed at Eddie's house. And the guys got into a fight, man. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: The group. The group.
Speaker 1: He had like maybe 15, 16 artists living in his crib at the time.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, what?
Speaker 1: He had about 15 or 16 artists living in his house at the time. Eddie did. We all living together, making this album, making this music.
Speaker 2: It's going to be some fights.
Speaker 1: Man, so they ended up breaking a big-ass hole in his wall, man.
Speaker 2: So he was like, man, you know what?
Speaker 1: Everybody got to go home. He sent everybody home. And about a month later, he called me. He was like, yo, man, I want you to come back. I'm doing some work for this young kid called Usher. I want you to come back and write some songs. He knew I was a songwriter. came back, man.
Speaker 2: And, um, she wrote for us. And that's what think of you came from. Yeah. Think of you came from that, that situation. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did another song on the album called, uh, you took my heart and that was with Eddie, but I think if you was with puff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And, uh, this is all around, all around the same time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: All around the same time. I ended up staying out there for a little bit. And this is now in, this is now, yeah, this is our journey. Well, that, that area, that area.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 1: He led right across the bridge. So, so I ended up doing some songs. Um, On my first album, I did In the Hood. I did Yearning and another song. He was like, yo, go home and get your group to sing these songs with you, man. I'm going to get y'all a deal. So I took the song.
Speaker 2: This is what Eddie says. Yeah. He's like, go home.
Speaker 1: I'm going to send you back home. Because when I was in New York, I was working. I was just writing songs and I had songs for the group. So I played them for him.
Speaker 2: He was like, yo, man, go home. Record those songs with the group. I'm going to get y'all signed. Yeah. I went home, played the songs for the guys. They didn't like them. So.
Speaker 1: I went back. I said, man, they ain't really messing with the songs. He was like, all right, fuck it. I'm going to get you a deal.
Speaker 2: And that was it.
Speaker 1: So that is the breakup of the group is that they just didn't like the music.
Speaker 2: They didn't want to do it. So were you always the main writer for the group?
Speaker 1: No, it was me and another guy in the group by the name of Tobar, rest in peace. And he wrote a lot of songs with me as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So now you go back to Jersey. So now I go back to Jersey. And I tell Eddie, like. How did you feel about being a solo artist? I wasn't the lead singer of the group. Okay. And so, like, being a solo artist. You was ducked from the fire heartbeat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you know, I mean, I got some parts, but I'm not the lead singer. Right. The guy told about what the lead singer, you know what I'm saying? They not playing my music right.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I'm like, damn, man, like, it kind of put me in a position where, like, damn, man, like, it's all me now.
Speaker 2: Like, I got to be in the front. That took some getting used to. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It took some getting used to, man, because that wasn't what I wanted. But I wasn't going to turn it down either.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Like, I was going to take whatever was in front of me at that particular time. A potential record deal or flipping burgers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, record deal. Record deal. I'm taking it. Yeah. Yeah, man.
Speaker 1: That's how that group thing ended. When you get back to Jersey with Eddie F., how long does it take to get to LaFace? Well, I had already did the record for Usher. That was already on the radio and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So L.A. and them, they were kind of familiar with my work. As a writer. As a writer.
Speaker 1: I think probably maybe like six, seven months it took. Because we ended up writing some other songs. And he set up a meeting with L.A. Reid. And we went to Atlanta. And I think I played him Yearning. And I think I sung a natural thing to him on my first album.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was like, yo, bro, man, just come back with a finished album. We're going to sign you, man. That's how it went.
Speaker 2: Had you done... A publishing deal or anything before that? I had a publishing deal before. Because I'm like, you got a record on the radio. I know it's a publishing deal. I had a publishing deal. I had a publishing deal. That was already locked in. Did you get a couple dollars? You like to give me the R & B money, man.
Speaker 1: Look, this was in the 90s, so the money wasn't that good. It was good for a young brother in Chicago that really didn't have nothing. But if I look back today, it was like peanuts, man.
Speaker 2: Come on, man. You got to tell us the number, man. What'd you sign? What'd I sign for? What's your first deal? Ooh, ooh, ooh. That hurts to even say it. It's like $ 70, 000, man.
Speaker 1: Listen, man, they gave me $ 35, 000.
Speaker 2: That went to my pocket. It was for $ 75, 000.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was for $ 75, 000, but they only gave me $ 40, 000 up front.
Speaker 2: See? That's another $ 30, 000. I was with you, man. I'm trying to tell you. We all went through this shit.
Speaker 1: But, I mean, when I took that check home, man, I showed that check to my father, but he was like, he was like, where'd you get all this money from? My father had never seen a check like that. Your father was a gospel artist, right? Yeah, well, he was a gospel singer. He really didn't, him and his brother did a lot of gospel singing back in the days, you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Really didn't do it professionally, but yeah.
Speaker 1: So him seeing that off music, he like, oh yeah, we up. Yeah, he was like, man, my pop should be like, look man, it didn't work for me, it ain't gonna work for you. I don't even know why you putting this time into it. You know, that's kind of, he was like that. You know, you gonna get a job, you know, that kind of, Until he saw that check. He was like, I think you need to go back to New York, son.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: How did it feel your first time you heard Think of You on the radio?
Speaker 2: Like the five heartbeats? Yeah. You know what I'm saying? Yeah. And to be like, yo, man, I couldn't believe it, though. Those are my words.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying? It was just amazing, man, just the feeling of it. Yeah. Just to be in that environment, man. You know what I'm saying? Like, I'm seeing Puffin on TV, Biggie on TV, and now I'm in a room with him.
Speaker 1: Now I'm in these places where I see these people and I'm working with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? So that alone was amazing. I just knew at that particular time I'm on the right track.
Speaker 2: Did you identify that Usher was a star then? I knew it, man.
Speaker 1: I mean, he had the charisma, man. I mean, real playful at a young age. But, I mean, his work ethic was, like, amazing, man.
Speaker 2: He was... Which is still what... Yeah, man. He wanted it, man. He's at the highest level. Yeah, he really wanted it, man. You could tell. That's dope, man. All right.
Speaker 1: So now, okay, you got your publishing deal. Got a couple dollars in your pocket. You got enough to survive.
Speaker 2: Enough to survive. Enough to survive. At that time, I got three kids already. Wait, what? I'm 19, 20. I got two kids already. Well, you jumped off the porch early. Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. We was already in. Okay. It was already in.
Speaker 1: And that's something I was going to bring up as well that I actually was going to tell you, man, that I really respect. about how you've carried yourself in your career. Donnell Jones, the artist and Donnell Jones, the man in the real world are completely.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. People and people don't know your business. Yeah. Yeah. You know what I'm saying? Like quiet, man. I'm the guy. I think that's cool. I appreciate that. I think that's cool. Cause I didn't know you had two kids by 19. Oh yeah. Already. That was already, I was off the porch. Okay. Real Chicago. Yeah, man. Real Chicago.
Speaker 1: So yeah, man, like, like, Yeah, I came into business with two kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know what I'm saying? So it was important for me to get out here and make it happen. To get to it. Yeah. So now, y'all go back, make the album. So we go back. With no deal, though. With just the, when y'all make it, y'all gonna get one. No, you talking about... With LaFace. For LaFace.
Speaker 1: No, so when I get with LaFace, I played them like three songs. And they like, yo, man, go make an album, come back, I'm gonna put you out. Did he give you guys some bread? So they signed us.
Speaker 2: Okay. They signed us. But I'm already signed to Eddie's. To Untouchables. Yeah. So, I mean, it's Untouchables LaFace at this particular time. Okay. Now y'all got a label partner. Now we got a label partner. And so we go back and we record the album, man.
Speaker 1: And this is when hip-hop and R & B was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah. Yeah, we did a lot of sample records. Fire, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, so our goal at that particular time was to be the male version of Mary J.
Speaker 2: Blige.
Speaker 1: You know, that's the sign we were going for. And I think we accomplished that on the first album because that's that's the sound. Why do you think or is there a reason that Charlton go to Uptown?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It probably would have been a great because his relationship and he's already there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I think, you know, and I don't want to speak for Eddie, but I think that, you know, he wanted to. build his own thing, you know what I'm saying? And do something outside of the system. I'm going to get Eddie on here. Eddie, you know, I've been calling you. He can answer that better. I think he wanted to do something outside of that, you know what I'm saying, to get his own thing started. Sometimes you can do some things in-house and you just want.
Speaker 2: To be outside. For sure.
Speaker 1: And I think sometimes when people are too familiar with you, they don't really fully see your genius.
Speaker 2: True. That's true. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: I think it goes, I mean, you know, it kind of goes back to I always wondered when I was a kid, I'm like, wow, you know.
Speaker 2: Warren G is not on Death Row. That's crazy. You know what I'm saying? You would think so. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or even, most people don't realize this, and I'm sure you realize because you were on this label, Babyface was never signed to LaFace.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, too. That's crazy. He was never signed to LaFace. That's crazy, yeah. Yeah, the fact that, you know, like a Babyface is not signed to LaFace. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's wild, but you start thinking about how, like, okay, people sometimes are like, oh, well, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To take this here. Right. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. It'll make more sense over here.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The focus will be different. Mm-hmm. You know? And you were early, LaFaith. I was. I mean, I was. Well, I don't... It would have been a couple years. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: They weren't like an established, established... I mean, they had... They had Outkast. They had Goody Mob, Usher, TLC, Tony Braxton. You know what I'm saying? So they had the bulk of everybody who was there. They had another artist by the name of Sam Salter.
Speaker 2: Of course. They had.
Speaker 1: I wrote I Like Them Girls... Obviously, it ended up on Tyrese. I wrote it for Usher.
Speaker 2: Really? Sam Salter ended up cutting it when Usher's, because L.A. wanted the record.
Speaker 1: And he wanted the record so bad, they wanted to keep it in-house, that then Sam ended up cutting it. Wow. And then it ended up, like, something happened with Sam's project, and then it ended up on Tyrese.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. Records used to go around like that, though, back then. A couple times. So that was good. It was the first ever Underdog record.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The first ever Underdog record.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. Wow, that's crazy. Yeah, and I'm very familiar with Sam, man. Rest in peace. Amazing guy. Amazing guy. So now you got the first project out. For you. Are you still in the mindset of, I'm really just a writer. This is not.
Speaker 1: What I really want to be doing all the time. I don't want to be singing and having to go do interviews by myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm in that mindset.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like being in front of the camera and being on stage and all that because I get to be somebody else.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: But my heart is in the studio, writing and coming up with ideas and trying to be creative. You know, so, yeah, it was a struggle. But I got to the point, I was like, you know what, I can't have one without the other. Because for me, what it's grown into is I love to be able to create something and then go out and see how people really feel about it.
Speaker 2: It's like I.
Speaker 1: See the baby being born and see it all the way up until, you know, you send it off to college.
Speaker 2: Right. You know. Yeah, I just took my son to college last week, bro. My daughter's going too, man. It was tough. Yeah. It was tough. Yeah. This is your first. I was stuck in it out, too. I thought I was. I thought I was, but then my baby girl, he had to drop him off. He let her see me like this. Just look straight, nigga. Look straight. Don't, don't blink too hard. One came down. Don't blink too hard. Ooh, man. I should have thought to you, man. I ain't gonna, I ain't gonna hold you. I did. I did. That's what's up.
Speaker 1: But you know, like you said, you, we're, we're, we're taking our, our babies into, you know, putting them in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And music is the same way. So I completely understand that, man. Do you feel like the first project was what you wanted it to be as far as just even from the acclaim that it got or the success that it got? How did that feel for you at the time? I thought it could have been more successful. I appreciated the fact that LaFace gave me the shot. I just don't think we had enough marketing dollars in the budget to really do what I felt needed to be done. done with that particular project but they gave me the shot yeah you know i'm saying i was very happy with that i think that musically the album was another great album it was yeah it was a really good album and you're celebrating this year yeah it's my 30 man yeah it's.
Speaker 2: Been 30 years wow bro 30 years man i.
Speaker 1: Mean time flies man i mean like damn this shit's like 30 years makes me look old feel old you know nah bro we young bro I'm telling you, man, still moving fast. Whose idea was it to do knocks me off my feet for you to remake that record. It wasn't nobody's idea, man. I was produced by the name of Darren Winnington. He needed some, somebody to sing it for him, for his producer reel. Cause he was trying to get work. He was like, yo, I just want people to hear what I'm doing, man. So won't you come over and sing the song for me? And I, his wife sang it to me and I sang it to the, to the, to the recorder. Just like she sang it to me.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And had no idea it was a Sleepy Wonder song, even though I'm a Sleepy Wonder fan. At the time, you didn't even know. That particular song, I didn't hear.
Speaker 2: Okay. You had so many. It can do that to you.
Speaker 1: And so I ended up doing the song, man, and Eddie heard it. He was like, yo, bro, this got to go on your album. I'm like, yo, what y'all doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then LA heard it. They was like, yo, man, this is it. The Accident record became the biggest record off that project. Really? Yep. That's crazy. That's how that happened. I mean, boy.
Speaker 1: It is, you know, if anybody's been in this business long enough, things like that happen all the time.
Speaker 2: It'd be the last record you write. Right. The one, you know. Yep. So, you get this project out. You don't feel like it hit the way you want. Nah. What's your mindset going into, Your next project.
Speaker 1: My mindset is, because I'm a little bit upset at the fact that we didn't do better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But what made it good was that we did enough to make them give me another shot.
Speaker 2: Right. Because sometimes you don't get a second shot. Man, listen. You know what I'm saying? Get that first one and it's over. Yeah. So we did well enough for them to give us another shot, man.
Speaker 1: And my mindset going into this next project was, let's try to make it where every song could possibly be a single. That's not even played with this record, man. Every song needs to sound just as good as the last one we did. And that was the mindset going into it and that's what we set out to do. Well, I'm just going to go ahead and say congratulations because you accomplished that.
Speaker 2: Man, that's what we... That album, man. I told you, I'd be fighting. The fight ain't even a strong fight for me because most people agree with me on that one.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? I think You know, I go a little wild sometimes when I start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it is this. All right, bro. I get it. I'm like, no, because where I want to be, bro, is.
Speaker 1: It's just at such a high level for me.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that, man.
Speaker 1: You know, and listen, I've had conversations with people that share remain nameless, but people that were a part of, you know, that whole world.
Speaker 2: I'm like, listen, it's the greatest album ever that came out of the face. Wow. Wow. It's my opinion. And you know, to be honest with you, man, it, it, and they go, they're going to attack me. Some people are going to attack me. It's cool. It's fine.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is, you know what, man? Like I couldn't believe when our LA say that LA said that too.
Speaker 2: I was like, wow, man.
Speaker 1: I mean, that just, that says a lot, man, especially with him being involved in so many projects on that particular label, man. I mean, for him to say that, man, I mean, that, that was really touching to me, you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. No, bro. Like, come on. You know what?
Speaker 1: I'm just going, I'm a, I'm a, you know, we're going, we're going to go through it. We're going to really go through it, man. Um, We're going to get to where I want to be.
Speaker 2: Okay. Because that one we got to really dissect. Okay. But we're going to start with You Know What's Up. Ah, man.
Speaker 1: That record right there, man. When I heard the track, I was like, man, this record is so dope.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But it wasn't called You Know What's Up. Okay.
Speaker 1: It was called something else at the time. It was called When You Hear the Car Horn Blow.
Speaker 2: What? That's what it was called. That's what it was called. It's literally what it was called. That's what it was called. When You Hear the Car Horn Blow. Blow. Yeah. And it wasn't, you know, it was cool, but it wasn't, you know, what's up.
Speaker 1: And I think Eddie knew that when we started doing the demo for it, I know he kind of knew that I wasn't really into it because I wasn't really giving it my all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was like, no, no, no, we got to get something that really fits him. So they went back in and rewrote it a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Oh, it needed rewrites. Yeah, it needed a couple of times. Okay. And then they ended up with, you know, what's up, man. And that was it. So the fun fact of Anthony Hamilton- Yeah. Being a writer on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is back in his uptown days. Yes. Obviously. Yep. And my brother Belay with Muhammad. Yep. Yep.
Speaker 1: Bro, I'm like, I didn't know that he was a co-writer on it, Anthony, until he came on the podcast. Yep.
Speaker 2: Anthony was definitely in the room, man. No way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yep.
Speaker 2: But he originally probably was part of when the Carhorn came. I can't even say it. When you hear the car horn blow. Man. No, guys. No. I mean, it was a no.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? Because we ended up going back and rewriting it a couple of times, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so we got it right. And no, some records take that, man. Some records take for you to go back in and redo it again.
Speaker 2: Now, y'all got it right. You did it. We got it right. I got it all the way right. Y'all got it all the way right. And then, so y'all cut it.
Speaker 1: And that was the last song we did on the album. Yeah, that was the very last song we did on the album.
Speaker 2: Another jam. Yep. When does Left Eye become a part of the record? Left Eye.
Speaker 1: Because obviously it wasn't from the jump that y'all was just going to do a record together. Left Eye becomes part of it. I think now they want to put the record out. They're doing their white labeling, sending it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. You know what I'm saying? And they were like, but we need something for the mix shows. You know what I'm saying? We ain't got nothing for the mix shows. yo, who we going to get to get on this joint?
Speaker 1: And I guess Eddie flew down to Atlanta and they brainstormed and came up with Lisa, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And she went in there and did her thing. She went crazy. Yeah. She went crazy, bro.
Speaker 1: And then, you know, I think what helped it too was the fact that they had just came off of that, you know, where she had burned Andre House down.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah. And it was real big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. And she jumped on that record and they just, It just, all the chaos and everything that was involved, it just made it bigger. Like the marketing you had always been looking for. Man, exactly, man. And it worked out, man. It really worked out.
Speaker 2: Did y'all have a chance to perform the record together? We did.
Speaker 1: We did the BET Awards. We did, no, not the BET Awards. We did the Soul Train Awards.
Speaker 2: Okay. And then we also did the Mobile Awards in London. Okay. That is really dope. Okay, so you know what's up? Shout out to Darren Lighty. Eddie F. Yeah, yeah, yeah. The producer's on it. Brother, man.
Speaker 1: Shorty got her eyes on me. We've been talking since two. What you going?
Speaker 2: Listen, sometimes you have to put it on the table and say, hey, listen. What you doing? I'm going to get up out of here. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And either you coming with me or you not. Yeah, you better do something because. We've been talking a long time. So, were you, are you in the mode with these songs where it's, this is your life? Was it that for you?
Speaker 2: We live in it. Yeah. We live in it.
Speaker 1: This was written and produced, co-produced with Wes and Eric Williams.
Speaker 2: Okay. From Blackstreet. Yeah, yeah. And... Kyle West? No. Oh, what? You said... Wes. Produced by the name of Wes. Oh, produced by Wes. Okay, okay. Because I know Kyle West. Oh, yeah, Kyle West. I worked with him. Yeah, yeah. So we got in the studio. We in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: And it just happened. Tommy Martin was the guitar player. He's a really good guitar player.
Speaker 2: He's got a guitar.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Because that legendary cover. Right. You're on the stool with a guitar. Yeah, man. And this is a very guitar-heavy album. Oh, yeah. You wasn't playing the guitar. No. And you don't play the guitar. I don't play the guitar. It may appear like I play the guitar. I'm like, man, that's Donnell. When Donnell get on that guitar, it's crazy. Yeah. And we weren't going to say nothing otherwise. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: We were going to let everybody feel like they want to feel or think what they want to think.
Speaker 2: But no, I wasn't playing any of it. The cover feels very Chicago. Yeah, man. It feels very Chicago. Like, when I look at it, I'm like, oh, yeah, he from the shot. Yeah, yeah. It was intentional, man. It was intentional. We wanted it to look like blues, like an old blues shot, you know? Yeah. And we accomplished that, man. It was fun doing it. And yeah, man, I remember. Because you actually play piano. Yes. Yes. You didn't want to sit at the piano? No, man. That guitar shot was just everything. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was great, bro. That is great. Okay, so Shorty got eyes on me. Talking to his two, what you going to do? All right. Have you seen her? Have you seen her? Now, that is Eric Williams and Wes. They did that.
Speaker 1: I had nothing to do with that record, but the vibe, man. It's just one of them records, man. You can just sit back, man, and close your eyes and visualize a video without even seeing it. You know, it was the storytelling and the way he did it, man, was just immaculate. And the fact, though, too, is that you being a songwriter and a producer, that you were open-minded enough to be like, listen, if.
Speaker 2: A record is great, it's great. I got to cut this. Man, that's how I am, though.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I don't do nothing on the album and I got a whole bunch of dope-ass records, I'm, yeah, I take that over anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because, I mean, it's not about me doing everything or me doing it. I just want the end goal would be, man, let's get the best records we can get. Like, it doesn't matter who do it. I just want the fans to be happy. Made the fans happy, bro. I appreciate that, man, for real. We knew exactly what we wanted to do, but nobody knows what, you know, what people in the world gonna think, you know.
Speaker 2: This love. This love.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, co-produced with, with Sheldon Good, man. I mean, another great guitar player, man.
Speaker 2: I made a lot of matches together.
Speaker 1: He came in with that, with that, that guitar lick, man.
Speaker 2: And I mean, it was, Amazing, brother.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then, you know, lyrically, I was living it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? Do you mind if I take this seat right here? I mean, it was just that time in New York was like that. You know what I'm saying? We'd be going to the tunnel. We'd be partying.
Speaker 2: It's almost every night. And life was like that, man.
Speaker 1: Once you get there, you stay in New York. I stay in New York. You know what I'm saying? I left Chicago in 1995 when I officially moved.
Speaker 2: Yeah. To New York. Because everybody else on the label was pretty much in Atlanta. Yeah. But I mean, but see, Eddie was from New York. Right. I was on his squad up there. Yeah. And so, you know, we just come down to Atlanta, you know, and just, you know, come down and play our records and stuff like that. But we we lived in New York. Yeah. Yeah. So that's why the vibe feels like that too. Yeah. Yeah. Very hip hop.
Speaker 1: I think that you guys, like, in my opinion, is it, the marriages from R & B and hip hop, it's absolutely perfect.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. Absolutely perfect, man.
Speaker 1: Like, and you can, like you said, now that you explained it to like, man, we at the tunnel every other night, we partying, we, Man, we really live in this life. And that's something that I have conversations with artists now where they're just like, oh, you know, sometimes I get stuck in the inspiration. So let's go outside. Go go live life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Go get rejected. Yeah. And that's why, you know, some people say, why it takes so long for you to come out with albums. Because I got to live. You got to live. I got to go through some things first. You know what I'm saying? I got to have something to talk about. Yeah. Sometimes you got to go run up on a girl where you know.
Speaker 1: You punching above your weight class and get that rejection.
Speaker 2: Right. Or you'll be like, oh, shit. Yeah. Or she's going to go with you. You know what I mean? Right.
Speaker 1: But you got to have those experiences when you're creating this music, man, because.
Speaker 2: The people are experiencing life. Yep. And there are more people going through what you're going through than you think. True. That is so true.
Speaker 1: Instead of, you know, And as a writer, because, you know, I've gone through it as well, where you're just trying to write the most poetic, you know, make people have to think about it, the double entendre metaphor.
Speaker 2: Right. Other than just being like, hey, man, you know what's up. Yep. Yep. I mean, the simplest.
Speaker 1: Because I think, man, I think the reason why simplicity works so much is because it's like, you know, you don't have to think about it too much.
Speaker 2: And some of the best songs have been like ABC. Yes. You know, just the one, two, three. Yeah. It's very simple. Sing along. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You got to do music, man, that people can sing along to.
Speaker 2: Here's where we're going to get deep. Uh-oh. All Her Love. Hey, man. That was somebody else's woman, man. You know what, man?
Speaker 1: The reason I wrote that song, man, is because I was like, you know what? There's so many women that go through this. You know what I'm saying? But I'm going to write it from a male's perspective. Oh.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: It wasn't something I went through. But I was like, you know what, man? I'm going to try to. The statute of limitations is probably over, bro.
Speaker 2: You can say. You know what? It's fine. It's fine.
Speaker 1: Nah, nah.
Speaker 2: But for real, man, it was one of those things where I was like, you know what?
Speaker 1: I know women going to love this record because what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: But they're going to hear it from a male perspective.
Speaker 1: Like what a man would go through if he was dealing with somebody else and waiting around for her to finish with her man.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying? He got to come. Like it was. I was like, you know what? I think that's going to be kind of cool to do. Side nigga anthem? Yeah, side nigga anthem. You know, which was some, I mean, can we curse him here? That was some fuck nigga shit. You know what I'm saying? I didn't want to say anything. Let's break it down. I mean, like, for real, like, who does that?
Speaker 1: What nigga sitting around waiting on, you know, like, I mean, it's somebody out there doing it now. I mean, it's somebody out there doing it, but I just felt like, man, I needed to write a record like that, man, because nobody was doing it From a male's perspective.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah. Right. Yeah. She gives me all her love, but only half the time. Half the time. Man, that's crazy. That's more than enough. No, it's not, nigga. Wake up. No, nigga.
Speaker 1: It's not. But, it is real life. Yeah, it's real life, man. Some guys out there living like that.
Speaker 2: And you know what?
Speaker 1: You get that from a lot of females, though. A lot of females out there living like that, you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like, Yeah, he got a wife at home, but, you know. Yeah. I'm the side chick. I just get what I can take. That's a tough spot. Yeah, it is. That is a tough spot. That's a real tough spot to be in.
Speaker 1: But I commend you as a writer to put yourself in that position and say, hey, let me flip this.
Speaker 2: Let me flip this on its head.
Speaker 1: Because you could have just wrote a song saying, I got a girl that's waiting on me. Right.
Speaker 2: But to put yourself in that vulnerable position— I think that's why it resonated the way it did and still does. Yeah, I think so too. Great songwriting.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of guys don't wear their hearts on their sleeves.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They'd probably be afraid to talk about something like that because it kind of takes a little bit of macho off of you.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, it's interesting you said that, man, because I feel like we've kind of gone through a bit of a drought in our genre of music for a minute with that.
Speaker 2: You know, but to hear... a Chris Brown do a residuals. Yeah, man. Yeah. Like, yo, that's not my girl no more. Right. Like, cause you still feel that, you know what I'm saying? You feel that, you know what I'm saying? Yeah.
Speaker 1: And to see someone at his level to still sing and speak from a perspective of, I lose too.
Speaker 2: We all, this is life. Cause everybody thinks from the outside looking in, oh, you got all this and you get this and that.
Speaker 1: Hey, man, it'd be that one. Yeah, I heard the same. Yeah, it'd be that one that you'd be like, ah, nigga, the one blocked me.
Speaker 2: Right. What did I do?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? That's real. What am I going to do? Yeah. Are you watching the residuals of that? Oh, she didn't want to marry somebody else. Yeah. She got somebody else, baby, now. Yeah, man. That hurts. It's cooked. Yeah, that hurts. I mean, I don't care who you are. That's what we do is built on. Mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: R & B music is built on emotion.
Speaker 2: Real feelings, man. I said it the other day online, man. I'm like, sex songs and popping your shit, like, that's cool.
Speaker 1: But, like, real emotions. We got to do those records. Because that ain't going nowhere. I mean, real life shit, that's going to happen all the time. I mean, make-ups, break-ups. Um, you know what I'm saying? I got to go work this job. It's nine to five, come home and, and come home. And my wife got to do run out the back door. Like those things happen. So I mean, we got to, we got to write about it.
Speaker 2: Oh man. I hope I never experienced that.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, but I mean, those things happen in real life, man. And you know, I mean, it's got to write about it, man. And, and get it out there, even though, you know, uh, some men, they wouldn't, they wouldn't say it. They wouldn't speak about it. You know what I'm saying? Cause it's like, you know, again, it makes you less of a man, but, but, uh, I think when you put songs out like that, people can, like you said, resonate, it resonates with those.
Speaker 2: And, um, absolutely. And, uh, yeah. And I, and I just hope that we get back to that.
Speaker 1: That is my one hope in, in, in music period, not even just our genre music, but in music period, that we get back into that space of emotions. Because it's like I said, I have a teenage son. I have a preteen daughter. I want them to experience life through music as well. And not just, it's all good and we partying all the time, are super toxic.
Speaker 2: Right. It's kind of like, you know, two ends of the spectrum.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm like, no, there's this other part of life that, you know, where the emotions are involved, where you can feel, you know, like something either made you really happy or really sad or whatever it is. Like we had to have that in our, in our music as well.
Speaker 2: I agree. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And I think those are the songs that like, you know, like we seen with you and Joe doing the verses, bro.
Speaker 2: Like when them records kick off, the crowd goes crazy.
Speaker 1: You guys have been able to sustain your careers, be on the road, still pack out venues, still have everybody stop their lives and want to watch. y'all perform these records because the emotion is in these songs yeah man I mean it was so beautiful man just to watch the crowd come out man and support and I know they wanted a battle but it wasn't a battle for me it was more about a celebration.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it I appreciate the.
Speaker 1: I love his music I love what he's done for the culture you know what I'm saying so to make it like we going at each other I really didn't want to have that type of energy you know what I'm saying I wanted to have the energy of man this is a It's my brother, man, and we appreciate what each other have done with our careers, and that's what that felt like to me.
Speaker 2: I really pulled up as a fan, bro. Appreciate that, man. I'm like, yo, y'all ain't got to do nothing special for me. It's all good. Like, can't get a parking spot? Right. Other than that, you know what I mean? Right.
Speaker 1: I'm really in there, bro. I was in the crowd next to the DJ booth.
Speaker 2: I see, yeah. Singing every song, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Estelle, we end up running to each other in the crowd. And she's like, will you come do an interview? I'm like, I can't tell you no. I love you, Estelle. You're my sister.
Speaker 2: I love you. So yes, I'll do it. So I come back there and they asked.
Speaker 1: Me about that. You know, about like, you know, what did I think of y'all verses? And you were already gone. So I'm going to tell you what I said.
Speaker 2: I said, y'all actually have my favorite verses. Oh, wow.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Because of what you just said, the celebratory aspect of it. And it was funny because it was me and Swiss. Swiss was right next to me.
Speaker 1: And I was like, well, because of the name, I think artists get into this battle mindset because it's called Versus.
Speaker 2: Right. And I was like, I get that. I said, but to me, sometimes the banter becomes too much. Right. And it overshadows the greatness of the two artists. Right.
Speaker 1: That are there for the people to truly enjoy what they've done and do.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And I said, for me, y'all versus was about the hits and about y'all and about what y'all brought to the culture. And I just got caught in a moment, man. Like I was literally, I'm talking about, bro, I'm in there.
Speaker 2: Sweet. A little D dog. I'm in it all the way in it, which we're going to get to. Cause that's a wild part to say after this girl.
Speaker 1: But, But with the verses, man, it was one of those moments where I just was like, oh, this is incredible. And I've been a part of multiple verses. You know what I'm saying? Obviously, I came out and sang with Tank for our record Slow. I came out and sang with Pleasure P when I did Up with him. And then he played Up against... Am I right? Against, no, when it was B2K against Pretty Ricky.
Speaker 2: Okay. The last song that played was my song. I was like, oh, this is great. So you, yeah. Yeah, I've been part of three versions, dog. I'm up. I'm up.
Speaker 1: I was going to speak on y'all stage and sing background or something last night.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I was going to do something.
Speaker 1: But even the ones that I've been a part of, like, it got to a point where I was just like, ah, it's just, it's going there. Nah, like, The banter and the aggression. And I'm like, that's cool because it's showing another side.
Speaker 2: Yes, R.B. Niggas is wild. Oh, yeah. R.B. Niggas is wild.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? It's different backstage. But like I said with you guys, man, it made me smile.
Speaker 2: But we talked before. You know what I'm saying? We talked before and we were like... They all talked before. You know what I mean? Listen... Don't be confused, brother. I ain't the only one that did that. Right, right. They talk and they get in front of that crowd and it's like, oh, yeah, I'm going to show you niggas. Right. Because I think.
Speaker 1: It was important for us to get on the phone with each other, man, you know, and it was just like, you know, man, we have an opportunity, man, to do something really good for the culture, man. Let's just go out here, man, and let's make this about love. Quite naturally, we knew it was going to be once it went out to the public, like everybody was going to start. They're going to make their own narrative about what they think it should be about. But that's cool, man. Let the fans do what they do, man. But let's go up there, man, and really celebrate each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it was great, man. And it was great to be in that building and to feel the love that was in that building.
Speaker 2: It was amazing, man.
Speaker 1: Like, bro, it was major artists in there that was just in there to be fans.
Speaker 2: Wow. That was amazing, man. Gangsta rappers. You know YG was there last night. I seen that, man. I seen that. In there having a time, though. You know what I'm saying? Tyrese doing Tyrese. You know Tyrese going to be Tyrese. Tyrese at all times. All day. He in there. 50. Yeah. I heard it when he even told you. He was like, bro, like, I'm in there backstage just singing the word out. Right. That was crazy, man. That was kind of dirty, though, how they did me, man. Well, you know. I expected it. No, they jumped you. Yeah, they jumped me real bad. We jumped Tyrese. You know, we brought out Jamie Foxx. Yeah, we jumped Tyrese. Yeah, they tell me, man. But you know what? I expected it. But I loved it, man. I mean, it just made it real more hype, man. And it was dope, man. It was dope. Yeah. You did bring out 707. Oh, man. Love them girls, man.
Speaker 1: I told them as well. When I saw them, I said, listen, I can't do this show without y'all coming on there.
Speaker 2: Man. Like, we've been trying to. I said, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm going to give y'all my phone number. We're going to make this happen. Y'all are important to this coach.
Speaker 2: Man, those girls are incredible, man. Yeah. Incredible, man. It was dope, man.
Speaker 1: Those moments of nostalgia, of what y'all brought to the game, and even y'all having y'all big pun moments.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah. Oh, that was great, bro. Yeah, man.
Speaker 1: That was great, bro. I wish Joe could have been there, man. You know, Joe was out celebrating his birthday, man.
Speaker 2: Shout out. Yeah. Shout out Fat Joe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Shout out Fat Joe. I'm waiting for him to put me on one of them boxes, man. I'm still cracking, baby. Sponsorship over here, man. You know what I'm saying? You know, he took Tyke off the box. Really? Yeah, he took Tyke off the box. Oh, come on, man. He got kicked off the box. Come on, man. But Nori. But Nori. Nori grew his hair back. He got kicked off the box. Just so he can get on the box. Yes. And kicked Tyke's ass off the box. No, that ain't right, man.
Speaker 1: No, that portion of the show was really cool, man. And that record. Bro, like, when you really listen to that record. nothing really makes sense on that record. It's so hard, but it's amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You being on the record, niggas want to take my life. Niggas want to take my wife. Like what? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then he's talking in the middle of it. He's like, loser, go battle. I'm like, nothing on that song makes sense. It is absolutely perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man. It's, it's one of the ones, man.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, when I first heard it, man, uh, um, I was like, damn, man, this is going to be, I don't know what I'm doing right now, but this shit sounds like it's going to be dope, man. And then, I mean, unfortunately, man, he passed away, man. I was like, man, man, I thought it was never going to come out. And then they called me up, like, we're still going to do the video and, you know, this is how we're going to do it. And, man, it just came out to be a really dope record, man. Rest in peace, pun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Y'all did the record in the studio together? Yeah, we did it in the studio together, man. How was it?
Speaker 1: It just felt like a party, man. Awesome guy, man. I mean, like, the Terror Squad period, man, like, Bottles popping, man. It was like a party in the studio, man. So I'm in there doing my part. Everybody coming in. It was beautiful, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was a moment.
Speaker 1: We're going to reel this thing back, man, because we went through some of the songs, my favorites.
Speaker 2: We got to go through that title record. Where I Want to Be. Where I Want to Be, brother. It is the nicest, shadiest song maybe of all time. Wow. It's shady, too, though. It's shady as a motherfucker, dog. I ain't gonna lie, bro. When I wrote that song, man, that's exactly what I was living. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? I told you I came into business. I had two kids at the time. At the time I'm making this particular record, I got four kids now.
Speaker 2: Okay. You know, I think I'm about 25. You like my brother Bob. Yeah, I got four kids now. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He had five by 25. You know. He got eight now. Yeah, my pull out game wasn't strong. So we was having babies. So after the My Heart album, you know, things are starting to pick up.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying? You're on the road. Yeah, I'm on the road. You know, these women coming at me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know what I'm saying? Telling me to knock you off your feet. Yeah, I'm saying some different things. But, you know, I'm not married, but I'm going on to a married life.
Speaker 2: Got you.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? Because we live together. You know, I got the kids. So, life started to change, man. I started to see some things different. And I want to write about it, man. Because I really didn't want to be in the relationship anymore, but I can't leave.
Speaker 2: Had you had that conversation with her before you wrote about it? No. So, that's how she found out about it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how she found out about it. But at that point, I was already cheating. You know, I was already cheating. I was already gone. You know what I'm saying? But when that record came out, I never left. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: I never left. We stayed together.
Speaker 1: After Where I Wanted Is Out. After Where I Wanted Is Out, we stayed together. We stayed together like five years after that. You know what I'm saying? So as much as she was mad about the record and her family had to hear the record and all these things like that, it was kind of bad.
Speaker 2: But we spent that money together. That heartache, that went away real fast. Was there a certain gift or something that you had to get? Was there anything that you just like, you know, I mean, at that point, it was whatever you want. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Because, I mean, you know, life has completely changed. Now, I'm a star now.
Speaker 2: Cracking. Yeah, I'm cracking. It's on and popping. And so, you know, it was whatever you want at that point. Oh, man.
Speaker 1: It wasn't good, man. But it was, that was the life I was living. You know, life had changed. You know what I'm saying? And, you know, sometimes you want to move in a different direction, but You don't know how to do it. So my best way to do it was to write a song about it.
Speaker 2: You know what that song reminds me of? What's that? It reminds me of Harlem Nights. When he was such a... Tell your mama I ain't coming home. Wow. I'm sorry. No, that's real. My bad, dog. Right. That scene in that song... That's how my mind works, though. My mind works wild. I can see that, though.
Speaker 1: That scene and that song have always connected to me.
Speaker 2: Where I'm like, oh, here you go. This is the video right here. Right. This is the Where I Want to Be video right here. That's funny, man. That record, bro, it is an all-time, it's a copyright.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is I get a lot of women that they don't like me because a lot of guys play the record or put it on an answer service or, baby, check this out.
Speaker 2: I want you to listen to this. That's how they broke up.
Speaker 1: So a lot of women, they come to me, but it's also the opposite, too.
Speaker 2: A lot of women did that to their guys, too. Like, y'all, I need you to listen to this. Those both ways. Yeah. So, I mean, I get a lot of that, man.
Speaker 1: What made you, after you said all that wild shit in the first verse, what made you go sweet-a-dee-dee-dee-dee?
Speaker 2: It felt good. It felt good.
Speaker 1: And, you know, to be honest with you, man, like, I had got that from my grandmama, man. I don't even know how they go together.
Speaker 2: What you grandmama got to do with this, dog? Because she used to love jazz. You know what I'm saying? So you just start scatting. I just start scatting. You know what I'm saying? I'm like, you know what? This will sound good right here. I just did it. I just did it.
Speaker 1: I think there's a young lady that might have like made a post online about like, so he going to say all that shit and then he going to tweet it. Shout out to that young lady, man. We can find that clip. Y'all clip it and post it and make it happen, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: The video didn't do no better, though, man, because they got me outside beating on windows. And, you know, when she finally gets a chance to get out and meet some guy, I'm back on her neck again.
Speaker 2: Because that's usually what... Yeah, that's what happens. I mean, I can leave, but you can't. Oh, man. Oh, man. Yeah, man. And that... Yeah. Yeah. Okay, so now you cracking. Yeah. You cracking.
Speaker 1: Is there something that you bought? Because I was telling somebody this the other day.
Speaker 2: I said... a lot of.
Speaker 1: People have opinions about what we do as a culture, what we purchase, how we live, the things we get that, that, um, that make us feel good.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, there are certain people who have attained at a level where they're shooting for something when they wake up.
Speaker 2: Right. It's like, okay, I got the nice car. I got to get a plane.
Speaker 1: And to me, there's nothing wrong with, having a motivational tool.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: And I'm tired of seeing that bullshit post with Bill Gates and which other nigga, Warren Buffett, don't want.
Speaker 2: No Gucci belt. Them niggas can't dress anyway. Right, right. Niggas ain't fly. Right. Niggas been paying for the thing for a long time. Right, right. You know what I mean? Right, right. I'm getting mine off the muscle. I feel you, brother. You know what I mean? So when I see that, I get it. But preaching that to our culture that we shouldn't celebrate or shouldn't want to work toward things that we just like. Exactly.
Speaker 1: You should have whatever you want to have. I mean, it's, and don't let somebody dumb it down for you.
Speaker 2: You should have it your way. Exactly. Ain't nobody going to tell me how I got to have it my way. Exactly. Yeah. You're like, oh man, you know, you could have bought the replica of that. Wow. I ain't a replica nigga. Right. Right. If I can't afford it, I ain't buying it. Right. But when I can't afford it and I want it. I'm getting it. You can't tell me I shouldn't have got it. Mm-hmm. You know you could have put that in a bond. Man. Could have. I could have. You put yours in a bond.
Speaker 1: Right. Because also, I need to be motivated every morning to get up and go get it.
Speaker 2: Mm-hmm. And that's how I look. That's real. So speaking of that, what.
Speaker 1: Did you go get when you got where I want to be as the song that's controlling the world, Craig?
Speaker 2: You had to get something. I want to get a house, man. Come on. Come on.
Speaker 1: I want to get a house, man. You know, I'm from Chicago, man. And we had living apartments all out.
Speaker 2: Right. You know what I'm saying? Is it the one, though? It's the one you wanted. Yeah, man. I want to get me a house, man.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: built it from the ground up and put everything in it that I wanted in it. Yes. You know, I was very happy with that, man.
Speaker 1: Like, and it just, it made me feel like I accomplished something, you know, all that hard work had really done something. And not to mention, like I'm, I'm, I'm like one of the first generations in my family, man, to, you know, to accumulate this type of money, you know?
Speaker 2: So, you know, it's, it's just a beautiful thing. What pop say when he seen that? Oh man. I know he seen the check early on. Yeah, man. Well, I mean, the, Check, I mean, you know, he got his little portion out of that. Yeah, come on, come on.
Speaker 1: You got to give him his tunes and pews. Yeah, man, but my pa's very proud of me, man. I mean, he passed away last year, man.
Speaker 2: My condolences. But, yeah, my pa's real proud, man.
Speaker 1: Just love the fact that I was able to stick with music and never give up, even though, you know, in the beginning, he was like, man, this ain't going to work, man. I tried it, you know, but he was going off of what happened to him.
Speaker 2: His own experience. Yeah. Yeah, yeah. So he didn't see it the way I saw it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, and that's why I tell every young artist out there right now, man, just your dream is your dream. You got to live it. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can help you with it, but you got to live it. You got to make it happen for yourself. Absolutely. And wait for somebody else to do it for you. Yeah. Yeah. All right. So now you cracking. Mm-hmm. Tours. Touring. Round the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Are you seeing, with a record like Where I Want to Be and an album of that magnitude, are you seeing the audiences shift?
Speaker 2: As far as just singing for more cultures. I am, man.
Speaker 1: I'm singing to younger people. At that time, I'm like 25. So I'm getting the 25 and younger, but I'm also getting the 45s too.
Speaker 2: Cause I mean, I guess that song was mature. Yes. You know, mature song. So I'm, I'm seeing like mamas and, and, and daughters in the audience. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: So that, that, then I'm, then I'm, now I'm overseas. Now I'm touring different countries. And, you know, so, That album definitely took me to places that I never thought I'd be.
Speaker 2: Definitely. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's what I was going to say. I was going to ask you about that. Did you even envision? Because like you said, you were in a group. You weren't the lead singer.
Speaker 2: No. You're really the writer. So you're like.
Speaker 1: Man, my life was based around four square miles in Chicago.
Speaker 2: That's all I knew. You know what I'm saying? I go to school, come back home, play with my homeboys in the neighborhood. That was it.
Speaker 1: I hadn't even really been around Chicago like that.
Speaker 2: Let alone, you know what I'm saying? Like, I mean, we'll go downtown a little bit. Right. Every now and then.
Speaker 1: But we, my whole life was based around that four square miles. So going from that to now I'm in New York. Now I'm coming down to Atlanta. Now I'm, I got a passport now.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying? So my, everything changed, man. Everything. Yeah. Wow, bro.
Speaker 1: And that's the part that I like to highlight at times too, man, is where this can take you. Where this music can really take you if you focus in and go after it the way you should.
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Cause like going back to the things we want to attain and, you know, just feeling good about things, but just the experiences in themselves, that music, something.
Speaker 2: That I think you would agree with me on. Music is magic. It is definitely. It's really magic.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you've ever had this moment, man, where I had to start to understand the mind of people who didn't do music and maybe some of the expectations of, are the doubts they had put on me.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? And I was like, oh, it's because you don't believe in magic. Wow.
Speaker 1: You don't believe that I can pull something out the air. It's really what we're doing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. I mean, they got, my dad's got to come from somewhere. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: And so, and that's the funny thing about that quote that Michael Jackson said.
Speaker 2: I got to get it before Prince get it. You know what I'm saying? Because, I mean. It's out there. It's out there. It's out there. It's out there. You better, man, focus and grab it because, I mean, it will be given to somebody else. Yeah. Or something you thought about and didn't apply. And you'd be like, man, I could have. And I had that same song. Yep. The same idea.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: You wanted to flip this. Ah, man, they did it. Yep. That's how this go. That's how it go, man. That's how it go.
Speaker 1: What we get an opportunity to do with our lives being musicians and being in the music business, man, is really magical.
Speaker 2: It is. It is.
Speaker 1: I mean, from the beginning, man, I, like I said, man, I was a young kid, man, watching all these people on TV, watching award shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then to, to be in the room. Yeah. You know what I'm saying? And, and be around these people, man, it's like, damn, man, I'm, I'm one of them. Yeah. I'm one of them. I'm one of them. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: So it's to go from being a young kid and to where I'm at now, man. I mean, it's been a journey, man. It's been a journey, man. But I wouldn't change anything, man. Because, I mean, like everything has taught me a lesson.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And what you've given to music, man, is really special. Appreciate that.
Speaker 1: It's really special, man. I just want to say that I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Thank you.
Speaker 1: And I speak for, I feel like I speak for the masses. It definitely speaks for, you know, me and my family because my sister told me to tell you she loves you.
Speaker 2: That's what's up, man. Shout out to my sister Chyna, dog, because she's like, listen. Shout out, baby. Thank you. She's like, wait, you doing it? Tell him I love him. That's it. I appreciate that. I'm going to tell him. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And, you know, just what you brought to the culture, man, from you as an artist, but you as a writer and producer as well. And I know we spoke about it earlier, you bringing 702 out.
Speaker 2: But, bro, get it together. Yeah, man. Can we get it together?
Speaker 1: That's another one. It's so simple. So was that for you?
Speaker 2: No, no.
Speaker 1: I had a girl group at the time. I was living in Jersey, and I had a girl group, and that was their song.
Speaker 2: Oh, shit.
Speaker 1: And so Eddie had came over to the crib one day, and he was like, man, let me hear what you're working on.
Speaker 2: So I had played that record for him. He was like, yo. make me a copy of that record.
Speaker 1: You know what that means. You know what that means in the music business. So I made him a copy of the record. And like the next day he called me like, he was like, yo.
Speaker 2: 702 want the record. What you going to do with it? I'm like, that's for my girl group.
Speaker 1: He was like, yo, so you want the record to come out now or you want the record to wait until they come out?
Speaker 2: Did you have a deal for them? No, I didn't have a deal for them. It was early. So he was like, which one you want? I was like, I'm going to break the news to him and tell him that I got to get this record up. Sorry. I ended up giving it to 702.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now we're writing and producing for other artists, right? What's the biggest producer check you got? You know, your producer fees, when you... Now you got this big album and people are just trying to get you in the studio with it. Producer check. I mean, I wasn't really a big producer like Tim and them. You know what I'm saying? My biggest producer check probably was like maybe $ 50, 000. That's a nice check though, brother. That's still a nice check.
Speaker 2: And like $ 120, 000. They was getting like a million.
Speaker 1: Listen, I had a conversation with one of my really good, one of my.
Speaker 2: Brothers, and they sure remain nameless. They was telling me how they was charging up. They were charging jewelry to the food budget. Man. I said, wait, what?
Speaker 1: Oh, man, we was getting Jacob DeJulio to come down, and it's $ 5, 000 for a little bracelet that we didn't put on the food budget?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the 90s, that money was flowing. So, man, it was... I was like, oh, y'all was going crazy. Yeah, man. It was different, man. That money was different.
Speaker 1: For you, though, it was never like where you was on a producer run for you, though. No.
Speaker 2: No, not like that. So, was the mindset to keep the records for yourself for the most part? Yeah, I mean, I was.
Speaker 1: that was my thing, man. For me, it was, it was hard to give some of them records up. Like, when I'm writing, I'm really thinking about myself sometimes. Not unless, you know, I'm in the studio and somebody, like, my little brother, Jacquees, I did a song with him.
Speaker 2: Him called 23. That's my guy, man. Yeah, man. He's a damn fool. Yeah, he is, man. He always starts some shit. Wait, why do you always start shit, dog? He does start shit. I just heard about that. I love him, dog. Yeah, man. My guy. I don't give a fuck. I don't care who feel the way. That's my homie. I fuck with him every moment, man. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: But hey, man, but he believe that, man. And so you got to appreciate that, man. You got to appreciate the fact that, hey, man. man, throw it out there, man. You know what I'm saying? Hey man, if you believe it, then hey, that's all that matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, so I love him for that, man.
Speaker 1: But Mike, when I did a record with him called 23, I got in the studio with him and he was telling me about, you know, what he was going through. Like, you know what I'm saying? Like, I got, I got this chick and you know what I'm saying? Like, but I really don't want to be in a relationship right now. And this was back in the day. And I say, man, I'm gonna write a song.
Speaker 2: And I say 23. And the song basically is about You know, not really wanting to settle down. Mm-hmm. Because I'm too young to do that. I'm too young. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so that was specifically written for him. So that's how I write. If I'm able to get in the studio with you and talk to you and get in your head, I write something for you. But for the most part, when I'm writing, I'm writing with me in mind. So at this stage now, is that something that you would even be willing to do with a lot of, like, the artists that are around?
Speaker 2: Like, writing for them and producing for them? Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's my goal now is to to get back out and, and, uh, and producing right for other artists, man.
Speaker 2: I got, I got so much stuff in the can, man, that, you know, cause I'm out. That is why I've been chasing you for these years. What's up, man? Trying to get you here because what happens, and this is, this is something that I found. A lot of the.
Speaker 1: Newer generation don't realize that the.
Speaker 2: Legends in our game are accessible to them. They don't know.
Speaker 1: They really be like, Bro, I would love to work with. And then when I get y'all here and I tell y'all that, y'all be like, man, I'm with it.
Speaker 2: Definitely. But they really don't know. Definitely.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? So that's why I asked you. I'm like, yo, would you be willing to work with different people? I think, man, I think where we're at right now, man, especially it's almost like basketball, you know, like, like, like back in the days, you know, we had people who played basketball, but now the players are so much better. Like, they can sing so much better, man. I mean, it's just, it's different, man. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man. It's like, I don't know what's going on, man, but I mean, like, riffs and all these things.
Speaker 1: But they've been studying. Yeah, they've been studying. So they got a lot of the stuff. And I would love to tap into that, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Would you tap into that, man, and give them some lyrics, man, that they can, would they do some things with me? Because I think that's a lot of what we're missing right now is just the lyrical content. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying? I think that the lyrics could be a lot stronger. Yeah. and more storytelling, you know? Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, me and Sean Stockman talk about that a lot. That's like one of my best friends. And, um, and obviously, you know, they've sold more records than we could think of, but you know, he's just.
Speaker 2: Like, bro, like they need these just little tweaks. Yep. From our generation.
Speaker 1: And I agree with him wholeheartedly where it's just like, man, like, but we on our side of it, on the other side of 30, 40.
Speaker 2: Yeah. have to say, hey, we got to reach out to them and say, you know what? I want to pull up on you. Yeah, that's true. You know what I mean? And not just feel like, oh, they're going to brush me off. No, no, no, no. Hey, man, I'm going to come by your session.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about from Kehlani to Coco Jones to, you know, J-Don and Papa J Young.
Speaker 2: Like, and just been like, I'm just going to be a fly on the wall. I just want to come support y'all. Oh, wow.
Speaker 1: I just want to hear what y'all doing. And then if you ask me, I'm going to tell you what I think.
Speaker 2: Right. You know what I'm saying? Yeah. but we have to really create, you know, that, um, that, that community. That's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: We have to create that community, man. Like I had that conversation with Joe. I had that conversation.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Like me and Tank live by it. You know what I mean? That brother on tour right now with. That's so dope, man. Supporting our brothers. Yeah, man. You know what I mean? So it's like, we got to lead by example in that.
Speaker 1: And it's honestly something I said when I, you know, when I was talking to Ebro and Nadeska and, um, In the Apple interview where I'm just like, we got to be collaborative.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And we got to keep showing up for each other. Yeah. I was like, I'm just here. Yeah. I agree. Y'all asked me to come talk. Yeah. But I'm really just here in support of the culture. But you're in the room. And these brothers. Yeah. Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Because when we on that stage too, we need to look out and see each other. It doesn't have to be the proverbial stage. Just talking about in our business. We got to look out and be able to see each other and be like, oh man, you know what? Bro, I love the fact that, wildly enough, man, I probably talk to Keith Sweat once a week.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow. Life, stock tips. You know what I mean? Like, he on them stocks. What? Wow. He was giving me stock tips during the pandemic. I reached out to Keith, man. You know what I'm saying? Yeah, you know, I've been that baby since about, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I got that motherfucker, you know, I'm on that NASDAQ and shit, baby.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? What you doing out there? You still sleeping, nigga? No, nothing's coming to sleep but a dream. I'm like... Nick, you tell me this every other day. I remember. Don't nothing come to a sleeper but a dream. I had to get my ass up, K. I'm up. Right.
Speaker 1: But the fact that I can call upon him on that and I can have real conversation with him about the business, about ownership, about what to do when you actually have your masters.
Speaker 2: Because everybody talks about attaining them. I want my masters. What are you going to do? How are you going to get those licensed? Are you teaming in place?
Speaker 1: Do you have a team in place to help you really grow your business and being able to have legends like that as one phone call away, it's invaluable.
Speaker 2: It is. There are certain younger artists that are younger producers, are executives that may look at me that way.
Speaker 1: And I want to be that for them as well, because that's the only way that we really make this thing right. I mean, sharing knowledge, man, don't try to be a gatekeeper and hold everything to yourself, man.
Speaker 2: Just, you know, Give these cats what they need, man. I mean, it may be something.
Speaker 1: That they can use that you've been doing that you can give to them and it can help.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying? What's your thoughts? And this is fully left field. What's your thoughts on AI? For me, I feel like it's cheating. Okay. Do you feel like autotune is cheating? I feel like it's cheating too. Okay. You know what I'm saying? I do. Performance enhancements. Yeah. That's what I call it. It's steroids. Yeah. Okay.
Speaker 1: I think where we're at right now with AI, I can immediately tell an AI song when I hear it.
Speaker 2: And I can tell an AI voice when I hear it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Because, I mean, it's way too clean. It is way too clean.
Speaker 1: And it's doing stuff that... There's no soul behind it either. Yeah, man. And I feel like AI right now is.
Speaker 2: Every song... kind of is in the same key. It's in the, it's, it's a, I don't know, man. It's frequency. Yeah, man. It's just, uh, you can tell.
Speaker 1: So what are your thoughts on it being an assist in the creation process? Other than just being like, okay, I just did an AI record more. So being like, okay, shit, I'm about to date me. And I'm sure they, you too. I used to have a thesaurus.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Keep one with me. Yeah. Uh-huh. Yep. And now, Chad, GPT is that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yep. You know what I mean? Or, you know. I think if you're doing it in that way. And that's why I asked. If you're using it in this thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But if you got it where it's like, okay, well. And see, I hate these kind of conversations. But if you got it where, well, come up with this bass line and come up with this string line and come up with this.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: I think the human element is always going to be better because you're pulling from somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know what I'm saying? Even if you go back and replay it? I'm just asking.
Speaker 1: Because I've heard some dope AI parts and all that stuff like that, man.
Speaker 2: You're not going to get away from it. No, we're not going to get away from it. It's here now. We're not going to get away from it. I just feel like... like... It's like a nigga that don't like Uber. I just feel like it's going to put a lot of people out of work, too. You know what I'm saying? Because now I don't have to call that session player. I could just get.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? I could just get AI to do it. And I think it's going to put a lot of people out of work like that. Because, you know, again, you don't have that human element. You know what I'm saying? Like, okay, that AI part got played like that.
Speaker 2: But somebody... that's a human is going to have a different type of feel. Absolutely. It's going to be different.
Speaker 1: But I do believe that we have to teach the new generations, especially us.
Speaker 2: We have kids.
Speaker 1: Our kids are interested in this space.
Speaker 2: They got to learn how to prompt. Oh, yeah. They got to learn how to prompt.
Speaker 1: You got to write things in there to get what they want because it's going to matter.
Speaker 2: It's moving fast. Yeah, that matters. It's moving fast.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to say I wouldn't use AI because I would use it.
Speaker 2: But, you know, again, I'm at that point right now where... I still have to be at least 90% human. Yeah. You know, and 10% maybe you have right now.
Speaker 1: No, and I ask because it's a hot topic right now, bro, especially in our business. I mean, obviously they asked us when we were on Breakfast Club about it. And, you know, people had certain things to say about it. For me, I'm just open-minded, right? Because I believe when you close your mind to things.
Speaker 2: You learn less. That's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: So, you know, you have to at least start to truly understand it.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: You have your own gauge of what you want to use, what you don't want to use, what you.
Speaker 2: Believe is fully cheating. I remember... It makes our life easier.
Speaker 1: Bro, we were really early with the underdogs with Auto-Tune. Harvey Mason Jr.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 1: was one of the first guys to have people record in it.
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: That was part of the underdog sound, honestly, with the vocal sound of it. And I remember the first time I sang with it on and I was pissed. Man, take that shit off my voice. I was pissed because I also came from this very old school way of thinking. My daddy used to tell us we need to sing and you got to walk it down.
Speaker 2: You got to sing it from the top to the bottom. And even punching. Punching is cheating. I mean. Punching vocals is cheating, bro. I mean, yeah. But you know what, though? I'm not going to lie, man.
Speaker 1: I'm the kind of person where it's at. I don't give a fuck, man. I'll punch that one part for two hours until I get that motherfucker, man, because I want it to sound a certain kind of way. And if I'm not getting it, I'll sit there, man. Try telling that to James Brown or Gladys Knight.
Speaker 2: No, you ain't. You get what I'm saying? Yeah, they want to take it. They're like, wait, wait, you want me to do what? Yeah. Hey, baby, get off the studio. No, play that from the top again. Hey, baby, get off my studio. Yeah, no, that's real. That's so real.
Speaker 1: So we're coming to that point where now we have to decide how much of it we want to be a part of, or don't want to be a part of, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and I don't want to sound like the old man either. You know what I'm saying? Like in the back of your head. Cause your sweatsuit and your jewelry and your glasses is very fly. And you're on your, you're YN right now. So I don't want you to feel like that neither.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to feel like the old man, like, nah, they shouldn't do it. Um, I mean, I embrace everything, man. It's just right now. I just feel like, um, I just love the human element, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think AI is on to something. I think it's going to be really big. It already is.
Speaker 2: It already is. It already is.
Speaker 1: I told niggas they need to give Milli Vanilli their Grammy back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do. Anyway. Get them niggas their Grammy back. They still had to go out and sell that shit. Yeah. I hear y'all, oh, they wasn't in. But without that look, it wouldn't have happened. You know what I'm saying? You hear me? Yeah. So, especially where we're at in the business now. Mm-hmm. What they call it is, is it retract?
Speaker 1: I don't know the word on the top of my mind right now, but whatever that is, the reversion of it.
Speaker 2: Get them niggas that Grammy back, man. Yeah. Yeah. Especially where we going with this business. For real. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because what I've learned by having kids, they don't care.
Speaker 2: Nah. Yeah. Nobody does. They just want to dance. Yep. Or they just want to do their little jump up and down in the crowd of them. Yep. And they just want to feel good. Mm-hmm. And I get it. The purists, listen, there are a lot of purists that watch this show. And I respect the purists. But I also respect evolution. Yeah, man. I mean, it's going to happen with or without your consent. You know what I'm saying? So you better get used to it. So speaking of new things, what's new for Donnell Jones?
Speaker 1: I'm ecstatic, man, to get back in the studio and work.
Speaker 2: We're going on a project right now. Yeah? Yeah, man. We're getting an album. Yeah, man. I'm going to do it, man. You know, it's been a while, man. But maybe... five six years i think it's been okay i'm not really.
Speaker 1: Sure what the time period but man i'm just ecstatic man about just getting back in there and just writing man i mean i've been through a lot i recently got divorced a couple of years ago you know so took some time off and i got a lot to write about and a lot to speak about you.
Speaker 2: Know yeah how far along are you into the album is it is it close it's it's it's we're fresh Oh, you're just starting it? Yeah, we're fresh. Okay. We're fresh.
Speaker 1: So we're not getting it. I've been talking about this project for a while, man. But again, you know, I had to live a little bit and I went through some things. And I'm on the other side of it now, man. So I'm feeling really good and ecstatic about where R & B is and my place in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Are you looking to be collaborative in it? Or do you want a lot of features? Do you want, you know what I mean? I want some features, man. I want to collaborate. You know, I'm open. Your camera's right there. Your camera. Tell us. The artists out here that love Donnell Jones, that would want to do a record with Donnell Jones. Man, her. Yeah. I love her. Summer Walker. You know what I'm saying? Definitely Summer. I mean, Chris. Come on, Chris. Yeah. Eric Bellinger. Tank.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, man.
Speaker 1: Like, there's so many artists out there, man, that I would love to do something with, that I love their work.
Speaker 2: And, man, if they could participate, man, it'd be great. That has to happen, bro. Yeah. And we all have to be a part of that. You know what I mean? And I'm telling you, you on this show right now, anything I can do to help. Man, I appreciate it. Even if it's just a phone call. Oh, yeah. Bro, I got you. I stick by my word. I appreciate you. You know what I mean? And I'll tell you, listen, I can't get to them. Right. Right. Right. I've been trying, dog. I've been trying. Right. But I will at least attempt. You know what I'm saying? I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: It's just because everybody always wants to tell you when there's a problem. Nobody actually wants to be the solution.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I try to be a solution-based person. I try to be helpful and of service. of some kind in, you know, in my relationships and the people that I really rock with.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? And with somebody like.
Speaker 1: You, man, who I have the utmost respect for in this game and what you've done in this game and what you're doing, I would love to say, man, you know what?
Speaker 2: I made a phone call for Donnell Jones. That'd be dope. I got him a feature. Such and such.
Speaker 1: Or, you know, put him on to a new writer or producer that had a record that his voice fits. That is what we have to do, bro.
Speaker 2: Man, I appreciate it. We have to do it. For real. For real. Yeah. Look at it, man. I don't want to do everything. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: I do want to open it up and get some sounds from some other people, man.
Speaker 2: I mean, of course, you know, people want to hear what I do. Of course.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, man, I think it's more importantly that we open up this project and get some other sounds on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Now, that's exciting, bro. Yeah. That's really exciting. For sure.
Speaker 1: Do you, in your mind, because you've been on all sides of business with it, is it something that you feel like you would want to do with a label or are you, are you a purely ever independent mindset now?
Speaker 2: I'm neither. Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm saying like, it doesn't matter to me. I just want to make something really good. And I think the cards will fall where they may.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: You know, I would love to have a label because, you know, you're working with their money, their team, you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: And if you can get them to do what you need them to do. We like OPM, man. Yeah, man. We like other people's money.
Speaker 1: I mean, but at the end of the day, if it's something that I have to do, I'm, I'm, I got enough to make it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know what I'm saying? I'm having enough to make it happen. I respect that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cause you know, you be on that road, brother. Oh yeah. We working. And you wrote them songs. You know what I mean? So, you know, I know, I know it's still pulling up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We, yeah, we good, man. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Like it's the, the funny thing is, is, um, these records be getting sampled, man. Like that 702 record has been sampled so many times, man. It's like, and that's the beauty about music, man.
Speaker 2: Did you write that? Never stopped sampling, y'all. I wrote that for you. Did you write that a hundred percent?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh man. Oh, yeah. I need to borrow $ 5 before you leave. I need to hold something. Those records, man. They be sampling, man. They be sampling, bro. You clearing them? When you get the request, you clearing them? Oh, for sure. Okay. Me ain't turning nothing down. You never know. You never know. You never know what that record become. You never know, man. You never know.
Speaker 1: Just so y'all know, all you young producers and artists out there that want to flip a Donnell Jones.
Speaker 2: Record, he said he going to clear it. Oh, we clearing it? Yeah, he said he going to clear it. He might ask for 85%. He's going to clear it. He is going to clear it.
Speaker 1: And it's funny, man, because I've noticed, too, that your fan base.
Speaker 2: Has been skewing younger. What do you attribute that to? I don't know. I think, you know.
Speaker 1: You got some TikTok shit cracking, bro. They got someone on TikTok called Donnellaholic. Now I know a harlot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man. And it's young. We did a, what do you call it, a study or whatever.
Speaker 1: And the funny thing is, most of my fans now are from 35 down to like 18. And what's tripped out about it is, I think what's going on is the fact that, you know, back in the days, our mothers played records. And like, that's why I love the Ozzy Brothers so much, even though I'm not part of that generation. but I listen to that music, you know what I'm saying? And I think that's what's going on. I think that their parents played the music, yeah, man, and they heard it and now they play it for their kids and so on and so forth.
Speaker 2: I consider myself a good parent because my son can sing where I want to be. You know what I mean? Like, ah, calm down, dog. Calm down.
Speaker 1: You might not want to sing that to a girl. I think that's what it is, man. I think, you know, As we get older, you know what I'm saying? We play that music and their kids pick it up and their kids pick it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I think that's what it is. Yeah. Nah, bro. Like I said, man, what you've done in this game, man, it shows. I appreciate that. It shows, man. And I'm glad that we're able to celebrate you on this platform, bro. Thank you. Thank you.
Speaker 1: But, you know, while you're here, man, let's get into the mind of Donnell.
Speaker 2: Okay. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: And what, you know, your inspirations are and have been to get you to this spot, man.
Speaker 2: Don, can you play something for me, man, that the good brother Tank sent in, please? Top five. You here. You here. Your top five. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. R & B singers. R & B songs.
Speaker 1: We've got to know.
Speaker 2: Come on. Before you go. Here on this show. Everybody want to know. Here on Top 5. Yes. Top 5. Top 5. Yeah, man. Oh, man. Oh, yeah, man.
Speaker 1: Now it's time for you to tell us your top five R & B singers and top five R & B songs.
Speaker 2: Okay, my top five R & B singers can't... Do whatever you want. Donnell Jones, brother. Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson. Stevie Wonder. Stevie Wonder. Donny Hathaway. Ooh, yeah, yeah, yeah. Teddy Pendergrass. Mm-hmm. You got the zip down, too. Okay, I see what you're doing. Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's not quite a button doll, you know what I mean? But you got the zip down. Prince, man. Teddy P. Prince, man. Prince. Yeah, man. Prince, man. Yeah, yeah. Killer vocals. Yeah, man. Killer vocals. Prince, man. Okay, okay. Is that five or that's four? It's five.
Speaker 1: Wait, you said Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Donnie Hathaway, Teddy P.
Speaker 2: Teddy P. Okay. Okay. All right. All right. Okay. And I can go on for days, man. I mean, listen. I can go on for days.
Speaker 1: What are some other names? I ain't going to stop you. And we said, would that R & B single, would that male? You want females to get a win in that too?
Speaker 2: Come on. Oh, Jane Karn. What's her name? Aretha Franklin. Yeah. Yeah. Patrice Russian. Yeah. Uh, Tin Marie. Oh, I love Tin Marie. I mean, man, so many, man. I mean, Delise Williams. Yeah. Shirley Murdoch. Okay, now you going crazy. I mean, Kelly Price. I'm 75.
Speaker 1: I mean, Minnie Houston. You know, I mean, it's so many, man. It's like, it's a very hard list to do.
Speaker 2: It is, man. It's tough. It's a very hard list. I mean, we talking about all times, man. Yeah. We ain't even done yet. No. You know, we still going. You know? There's a Jasmine Sullivan. Oh, man, man. She just smokes everything and everybody. Well, she probably is the best of the best. Oh, my God. You know, like, yeah, you got to have another list for her. Like, that's a whole nother list. She's special. Yeah, man. Incredible. Yeah. Okay. Okay. So you gave me the top 70,000, five. Top five R & B songs. Lady In My Life, Michael Jackson. Before I Let Go. Blackstreet. Blackstreet. My sister was in that video. Another sister. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She was, she was like, she played, she's in a, like a, I don't know if it's not a coffee. She's like outside of a coffee shop. It looked like she's like on a.
Speaker 2: Date or something.
Speaker 1: But yeah, my sister was just randomly in that video. She gonna kill me too. Cause she's a full movie executive now.
Speaker 2: They gonna be, they gonna go look for it. They gonna look for it. Watch. Yeah. Ever my lady. Yeah. Uh, Jodeci. Yeah. It's like a dream. Um, Always and Forever. That was... Whose version? Heat Wave. Heat Wave. Okay. Oh, okay. Yeah, Heat Wave. Okay, all right. And what's another one, man? One more. You can always say one of yours. Okay, well, where do I want to be? Where do I want to be? I didn't want to put me in there. Hey, man, listen, bro. I don't want to do that, but yeah, where I want to be. Man. Yeah. I told you that that record just has a special place in it. Yeah, man. But y'all should add this on. Okay. Producers. Because. You want to tell me the producers?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man.
Speaker 2: Come on. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, man. Jam and Lewis. Babyface, man. Babyface. Teddy Riley, man. Teddy. I got to go with my man Eddie F., man. And I got to put R. Kelly in there, man. Rob. R. Kelly, man. You are from Chicago. Yeah, man. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it. I get it. I get it. Now, that list of producers is. Oh, and you can't. You can't. Gambling Huff, man. Gamblin' Huff out of Philly. Yeah, they made some incredible records. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean, he can't name it. He and I talk about Gamblin' Huff. Yeah, and then, you know, the all-time is Quincy. Quincy your all-time?
Speaker 1: I mean, because he spanned so many genres and did it for so long.
Speaker 2: I have this argument. Is Quincy from Chicago or Seattle? I think he's from Chicago. I'm going to always say Chicago. I do that with all my Chicago homies. They be like, Quincy Jones. We got Quincy Jones. I was like, Quincy Jones from Seattle, right? No, he not. And we ain't going to fact check that either. We going to keep it Chicago.
Speaker 1: They be pissed at me when I say that, too. And I'll just do it to fuck with him.
Speaker 2: Right. I'll just do it to fuck with him. Because it's like, yeah, y'all have arguably the greatest producer of all time. Yeah, man. He's one of them, man. For real. Now, he's... Special, special, special.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you're going to build the ultimate R & B artist. Your Voltron. Your R & B Voltron. We're going to do the vocals. We're going to sing. We're going to be the voice for this artist. And this can be male, female. You can mix it. Who's going to be the voice for this artist? Who's going to be the performer, the stage performer? Who got the coldest stage performance? Who got the flyest style? Who going to put that shit on? Then who got the passion? Who's the most passionate artist you can think of? And since you are a very top tier, elite level songwriter, I need to know who going to write the songs for this artist. But first, for Donnell Jones, Voltron, R & B, Voltron artist, who's the voice? The voice is going to be a mixture of Aretha Franklin.
Speaker 2: Are you doing Hybrids?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Whitney Houston. Oh, golly. And it's going to be probably mixed with a little Stevie. Okay. You're the first one to add three. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know how that's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Listen, you know. Yeah. Okay. So Aretha Whitney Stevie is the singer. Yeah. Okay. Okay. Okay. Stage performance.
Speaker 1: Stage performance, I would say, is going to be Michael Jackson mixed with Man, I got to mix it. Because I got to, because the guy, no, because the guy, it's with Chris Brown.
Speaker 2: It's yours. That's it. Mike and the Chris. Mike and the Chris, man. So you're saying if Michael Jackson could do backflips, it would just all be Michael Jackson. And Gangsta Walk. Yeah. That's why I got to go with Chris too, man. Because I mean, Chris is doing some amazing things, man. So aggressive. Yeah, man. He just looked different. Did you see where he slipped on stage and he flipped back up? He half-flipped it in perfect time. I was like, come on, dog. That half-flipped in perfect time, too? And then the nigga just kind of laughed it off. You can't really say performance without putting his name. He's that guy. Yeah, yeah. And he's flying around the stadium now. He's like 200 or 300 feet in the air. Yeah, man. be scaring them up a good. I think I'd be scared on the road coasting that high. Yeah, I'm afraid of heights too, man. I couldn't do that. I'm cool, bro. I'm cool off that. Okay, who's style? Style-wise.
Speaker 1: Who the fly artist, man? You putting, you know, you putting, you putting they fit on this artist.
Speaker 2: I would say Michael.
Speaker 1: I mean, some glittery, you know, some, some, you know, some, yeah. I got on glowing socks right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, you do? You do? Oh, yeah. Oh, okay. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Listen. Okay. It's real. Okay. Everything you're saying, I believe. Yeah, I do Mike, man. Mike Glitter, yeah. Yes. Yeah, come on. You got to have some glitter socks, man. Yeah. All right. Passion. The passion of the artist. Passion. Curtis Mayfield.
Speaker 1: You know, I think what he did, he had to have a lot of passion.
Speaker 2: Right. You know what I'm saying? Yeah. I don't think he gets mentioned enough, you know. He does not. Yeah. He does not.
Speaker 1: Incredibly talented, incredibly passionate. And what he was writing and singing about.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Tell me about it.
Speaker 1: He's talking about Writing your life, your reality, the reality of the streets and what was going on.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah. And they did a damn good job at it, man. Yeah. Amazing job. Curtis Mayfield. Absolutely. Okay. Who's the songwriter for this artist? I got to go with two. Two people again. Okay. Come on. I'm going with Babyface and R. Kelly, man. Oh, my God. Yeah. I'm going with, yeah. Because I can do it with just Babyface, though. You know what I'm saying? Do it with just Kels, too?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do it with just Kels, too. They were both on Tony's album, man. I mean, and they both did a couple songs. I forget which album it was, but... And that album was dope as hell.
Speaker 2: So I would... Yeah, it was due for Tony Braxton. I gotta go back to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did a record on that same album that she had, I Don't Wanna Sing.
Speaker 2: Another Love Song. Okay. Yeah, I gotta go look into that. Yeah, man.
Speaker 1: And that was a dope album. I think them two would... It would be a great competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, Babyface is... I seen him in concert, man. I was like, damn, man, like, all these damn records, man.
Speaker 2: You see how he's still running across the stage? Man, man, it's crazy, man. I mean, what, he like in his 60s? Yeah. Man, he got it, man. Babyface sprinting across the stage. Yeah, man. It's amazing and hilarious. It's funny, too. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: You can tell he out of breath. But he killing it. Because you don't have any songs that validates you running across the stage.
Speaker 2: Sprinting. Right, right, right. Sprinting.
Speaker 1: Oh, man.
Speaker 2: He like, I'm going to show y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's all it is. It's just a flex. Yeah. It's really a flex. And killing it. It go crazy though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man.
Speaker 2: It's a full flex. Yeah, man. Shout out to Face, man. I love Kenny, man. Shout out to Face. One of the first people I worked with when I came to LA and had the pleasure and, you know, I was honored to write with when I first got to LA. Wow, man. It must have been something, man. I.
Speaker 1: I was on the face for many years, man, and people would think that I got a chance to work with him, but I never got a chance.
Speaker 2: Y'all never worked together? Never, man. Face, man. Let's do something, man. Grace, what are you... Yeah. Man, if you don't come do a record with Don L. Jones... Yeah, man. That's crazy. Yeah, man. Never knew that. That's on my bucket list. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. It's like that, too, though, when you are pretty much self-contained. Mm-hmm. it's one of those things where like, oh, let him do what he do. Yeah. I don't want to get in the way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's what they did, man. You know, and I appreciate the fact that they, they allowed me to do that. Cause I mean, it definitely, um, it helped my career in a way. Whereas that, you know, I was, I was able to like, I took a lot of stuff from them and listen to a lot of music, but them allowing me to be me, man, I think it definitely shaped my career and shaped my music. Um, and I think that's when you, that's why when you hear a Donnell Jones record, you can tell, that the songs that I've done and the song that's, that's other people's.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, for sure. For sure. Okay. We got one more, we got one more segment, man, before I let you out here. Okay.
Speaker 1: People, you know, this, this, this segment, man, people love this, this part of the show, brother. So, you know, when you hear this song, you have to, you have to think about what, you know, story you're going to tell. Play that for me real quick, dad.
Speaker 2: So, we had a very important part, like I told you, where....
Speaker 1: You tell us a story. Funny or fucked up? Or funny and fucked up? The only rule to the game is you can't say no names.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Okay. I love when the light bulb go off.
Speaker 1: I know this particular, we was in a situation where, you know, this particular artist was.
Speaker 2: Was telling me about this female that he just met. Okay. And he just, you know, just hook up with her. Come on. Sounds very R & B.
Speaker 1: And he was like, yo, man, she dope as hell, man. Like, she really dope, but she got a foot fetish, man.
Speaker 2: She has a foot fetish? She has a foot fetish.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Like, man, you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Like, every time I go over there, man, like, she want me to take off my shoes. But he was like, this particular time, bro, she put my whole foot in her mouth. And, I mean, he was like, yo, bro, like, he ain't got no little foot. He was like, yo, bro, she put my whole foot in her mouth, man. And I just couldn't stop thinking about that, man. But, yeah, that happened in real life, man. Yeah, that's my story. Did he keep dealing with it?
Speaker 2: I mean, he liked it. He liked it. I mean, he kept going back. He obviously liked it, too, though. He liked it. I mean.
Speaker 1: He just walk over and do this. I just couldn't imagine it, man. It wasn't no size eights.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: Figure out how she get her whole foot.
Speaker 2: That whole foot in her mouth. Yeah. Yeah. That's crazy. So there's some women out here eating a full foot. A full foot. A full foot, man. I mean, if they tell you to take your shoes off, man, you better be careful, man. They might have a foot fetish. Oh, my God. Yeah. Yeah. That's wild. That's wild. That's wild. Yeah. All right. Okay. You know what? I didn't want to say it, but yeah, it happens. So listen, brother, this has been an honor and a pleasure, bro. Thank you, man. I really appreciate your time. Thank you. People have been asking for you to come on here. I appreciate that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They've been, they've been, man, when is Donnell Jones coming on? I'm trying, guys. I'm trying.
Speaker 2: We had to get out here to L.A., y'all. I mean, you know what I'm saying? I've done it. I've done it. Yeah. I've done it.
Speaker 1: Listen, when I accomplish these things where I get the artists that everybody wants that I personally want on as well, man, it makes me feel great. Man, thanks for having me, man, for real, man. I've always wanted to do this podcast, man. Like, it's one of the ones that's high on my list, man. Like, yo, we got to do this. So I appreciate you guys having me, man, for real.
Speaker 2: Of course, bro.
Speaker 1: Listen, and like I told you before, we are in full support. all things that you got going on.
Speaker 2: Thank you. We're waiting on the Elevator album. Will we get that this year or is it going to probably be next year? I mean, we kind of on mid-ground right now. Yeah. Probably early next year. Okay. Okay. Well, we're waiting on it and we're sending out the signals. Oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: We're going to send out the bad signals, man. If y'all want to be a part of it, man, let me know, man. Let's get to work, y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For real. Yeah. Now, man. Amazing, bro. Hey, y'all.
Speaker 1: This has been the R & B Money Podcast. I'm Jay Valentine. and the incredible, the legend himself, Donnell Jones.