Speaker 1: Hello, my loves. This is give them La La with rand I'm doing the opening time.
Speaker 2: Whoa, yeah, that is intense.
Speaker 1: Let me just one more time. Tell me if it was good.
Speaker 2: Hello, my randall, you're blasting.
Speaker 1: For your headphone down. Keep this. Don't cut it. I want everybody to hear how it really is. Okay, do not cut in the stacy. We're odd. This is live, but I want to do it one more time and without you interrupting me. Okay, Hello, my loves, beautiful people, this is give them Lalla with Brand.
Speaker 2: That was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, hello, my little bambinos. I'm feeling very in the spirit of just all things. Baby. All I do all day long is look at Okay, so I'm gonna be real, real, real right now. I on my Instagram used to like when you go to the explore page, it was like full of useless information about like who's breaking up with who? Who just made one hundred million dollars off of what? And I was like, you know, I need to change the algorithm. Like I'm feeling very motherly and all I want to see on my Explore page are puppies and hedgehogs and babies. So, you guys, for like four hours straight over my birthday weekend, I literally just looked through images of baby hedgehogs, babies, puppies and liked all these images. So now when you go to my explore page on Instagram, that's all you see. I have no idea what's happening on the planet except for what these little puppies have done all day long. It's the best. I feel great about it.
Speaker 1: What's a hedgehog?
Speaker 2: They're like almost looks like a baby porcupine.
Speaker 1: So it's just one of your little cute pages. It's so cute because you stalk dogs, Dailey, I know that now it's.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I'm totally I have come to the realization that my baby will never be as cute as a little baby puppy. It is what it is. I don't think anybody.
Speaker 1: My god, No, I don't think my god, oh my god, oh my guess what.
Speaker 2: I'm also going to tell you this, your baby will never be as cute as a little baby puppy.
Speaker 1: I'm going to disagree. I'm gonna I'm gonna disagree, laughing disagree. True, this is bullshit.
Speaker 2: Look up a little baby lab or golden retriever, and you tell me you have seen a baby, but you.
Speaker 1: Just tell me. Want you to look at me in the face right now and just say that you've just told the world aka your fans, yeah, that our baby will never be.
Speaker 2: As I'm also telling them about won't be as cute. Oh my god, no baby ever will be as cute as a little puppy.
Speaker 1: I am pivoting right now to this conversation and I am leaving it at this Our baby, but it will, our baby will be cuter than any damn dog ever on this.
Speaker 2: Planet once I see it. Look, look at my mom, Lisa Goes. Both of us are dog people. I thought even Lisa Vanner Pump would be like, there's no baby.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving on, I'm done with this conversation. What I do want to talk about. What I do want to talk about. Zala's very dramatic. There was a cord that bothered her, so she flicked it away like she was protecting us from the army.
Speaker 2: Because since I got prego, I feel like my eyes are sensitive. My hearing is that everything's just heightened, so like little buzzing noises. I'm like, what is it? What is that. Okay, I want the light is just too bright.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about it from the other side of the coin. Yeah, since you've been pregnant, you have had that what they call that glow, that happiness you have. I've seen that. The other side of that, the other side of that gloat. Now, the other side of that clowe is the hormones are an overdrive.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I mean when I say overdrive, I'm being kind. Yeah, why don't you share the level of hormones that you're feeling as a expecting mother? Just how are you different in these ten weeks do you feel you know, so future mothers and other mothers that have been through this, you know, how are you dealing with the hormones?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that this is you asking that even though it's like something that in this very moment, we can be like, your hormones are crazy. I think it's really important for us to talk about the fact that that's why I brought it up. You're my hormones are out of whack. And I would be lying if I said I wake up and I think that life is just awesome and I'm pregnant and I'm going to be a mom right, I wake up and I'm like, I'm really sad and I feel depressed, and I need to talk to somebody. And then I'll go through the day and I kind of start, you know, reminding myself or trying to like, you're very lucky, you're very blessed. And even though I know these things, hormones are a very tricky thing.
Speaker 1: And they're powerful, and then they yes, and I and I want to add that just because you are healthy, thank God, and you you know, have a roof over your head and all those things, hormones are a real thing and you aren't going through that. And it's and I, being your partner, watched you more so than normal. Let's call it really struggle a little bit with the ups and downs, you know, high low, high low. And I just want people to know, and I want you to know. But I tell you this already, is that it's okay and that we're in it together. You know, this is just how it is. And at the end of the day, it's I think it's okay to feel the way you're feeling.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I just feel for any anybody who's going through this pregnant. I know that a lot of women suffer from postpartum. I'm in it, so this is like, Wow, why am I feeling this way when like, I have a life inside of me and this is so awesome, Like why do I feel upset? I don't think, but I feel for women who when when I hear about these stories now going through it. It can become torturous to be inside of your own mind in those moments when your hormones just really are kicking your ass. So I'm no doctor, but I want people to know if you are going through something like this, to definitely reach out to someone and talk to somebody. I find a lot of comfort in talking to my mom. My doctor also knows that I'm you know, up and down frequently. I haven't come to the conclusion of I should be back on It's pretty known that I take anxiety and depression medication. I stopped taking it once I got pregnant because I was so worried, and now that my hormones are out of you know, it's funky. I don't. I don't want to be on a prescription right now with this new life inside of me. I just I'm like, if I can talk through these and you're telling me my hormones are just out of whack and I can get through this. Let's stick to that script for now.
Speaker 1: Well, And I think it's important also the fact you can acknowledge just take away, you know, just just living right now in the moment. And I've been with you a long time. Now you are it's your I mean, your hormones obviously are playing a huge trick on you. They're sending you up, they're sending you down. Yeah, I actually equate it, you know, watching you and somebody who loves you so much doesn't want to see obviously you you know, but it's like a washing machine. It's like you're bouncing like you know, you'll get settled for a second, we'll get quiet and then boom, you know, and it's in its little things that are sending you, you know, up and down. So at the end of the day, I keep telling you when I when I call you, I tell you it's okay, and we'll get through it. You know, we're going to have some tough days, tougher days. And at the end of the day, though, I always try to remind you that you know, you're you're growing a beautiful soul inside you and in six months, We're gonna have a baby. So we just gotta you know, we just gotta hang in there.
Speaker 2: Which is so crazy because I think about it and I'm like when I go to the doctor's office and she has like just walls of newborn babies that she has delivered, and I'm like, oh, this is just the best place ever. But then I'll go home, take a nap and wake up and I'm like, my freedom is gonna be gone soon. It is such like a mind f wait. So I'm gonna try to stop cursing as much because I'm going to be a mom soon. Okay, don't but don't don't count on it.
Speaker 1: But let me tell you. But let me tell you something. What First of all, I did tell you that when that baby comes, the running out of the house quickly and is that's that's over.
Speaker 2: But I know, but I'm so addicted to things that I love. Like I think about how I was with my dog and it was like we were running together, you know, we were like little soldiers. So that she's gonna be me and my boo, my baby, I love it.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's gonna be an issue. I mean, I mean, you treat your dog like a child. So this is just a step up. It talks back. That's the only difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 1: That, like how I said it. Yeah, okay, so the next step in our little baby because we're gonna, We're gonna. I want to start a regular segment on it.
Speaker 2: Wait, was that the first thing? Hold on now, because you're I know you're going to bring up the gender reveal. You posted the sonogram picture? Was that the first sonogram picture you've posted? I think so, dude, he's felling so much tea. I haven't posted, not.
Speaker 1: One, but I only have twelve followers, so it's kind of like.
Speaker 2: It's kind of cute.
Speaker 1: I like it, and you like and don't you like that? I am so into it. I mean that's very cool.
Speaker 2: Of course I love that part. Anyway, I didn't mean to cut you off.
Speaker 1: Oh you did, But but the thing is, I cut you off for the last twenty episodes, so you you have a lot of cutting off to do to me. I just want to say that you you just went to the doctor today. I was on FaceTime with you today and you gave blood. So this today. I want to do a baby update every episode, so that the baby update, I will give it and then you will confirm it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The baby update is because Lola won't tell you guys that shit, so I'm just going to do it. The baby update is she went to the doctor today, she gave blood, and that is for us to know the gender correct or and correct that is correct.
Speaker 2: But more importantly, it's to see if there's down syndrome and you know things that that's the most important.
Speaker 1: Okay, so share that, share what that test was today.
Speaker 2: So it's just a check to see that the baby is healthy.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You know there's obviously things you cannot test for when it comes out, but a lot lucky enough that science has allowed us to know if your child will have downs or not.
Speaker 1: So there's probably like there's a lot of things they can take out of the equation.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: The gender is the fun aspect.
Speaker 1: It was a serious tap, but the gender is the fun part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the gender is the most fun. The other stuff is kind of you're a little bit nervous until you.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not tell our fans something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the next episode, which will be the baby update episode, that the big baby update episode, will be at that point we will know the gender of our child. So when you're sitting.
Speaker 2: There, oh my gosh, it's so weird.
Speaker 1: So when you're sitting here looking at me, you know you're going to know for the rest of your life whether or not you'll be raising a son or a daughter. So this so the episode goes from as you refer to our child right now as an it.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can tell it, keep telling me.
Speaker 1: She doesn't let me, let me a squid, a baby, gummy bear, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Now, don't call it him or her. I can call it whatever you want, him and her.
Speaker 1: So the exciting thing is next week you're going to be looking at me saying my daughter or my son.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's heavy. Oh my god. That is a large task to take on, a big responsibility, which.
Speaker 1: From that point the following episode, we will be updating our listeners on prepping the nursery, because you can't prep a nursery if it's an it.
Speaker 2: No I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't prep a nursery for a gummy bear.
Speaker 2: No you can't. However, I love these these stuffed animals, and people have been giving me a lot of them. They're like dogs. Yeah, do you remember the name. Well, they're expensive, that's all I know. I looked at it and I was like, wait, this person was like me a lot because this stuffed animal was seventy eight dollars.
Speaker 1: Who sent you a stuff animal?
Speaker 2: Madison's brother, Well, that's so nice. Yeah, but you bought me one at the Las Vegas Airport. Yeah, I know that they got me one too. So now I'm like, oh my gosh, we were having lunch.
Speaker 1: We're having lunch at my favorite.
Speaker 2: It's only only natural. Well, yes that I have a lot of stuffed animal dogs in the room because you know, it's just fitting.
Speaker 1: What's my fried chicken place called in Vegas? I'm a natural baby.
Speaker 2: I don't remember so good. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about today's guest, because we will make it all about you for the next nine months.
Speaker 2: Oh love when it's about me all the time.
Speaker 1: It's your podcast. So but we will talk about the baby a lot and you being the expecting mother, yeah, because we will pay homage to you daily. But today we are going to pivot to our guest, which we have the incredible Jackie Cruz obsessed obsessed.
Speaker 2: I became obsessed with her when I saw her on the show a little show called Orange is the New Black on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think that she's so good. She's so good. And not only that, I have to tell you something cool because you're a music aficionado or I think that's the right word, and you love music. So when Jackie Cruz was in high school, she worked with will I AM's producers in a girl group called Crush Velvet. What that's Jackie Cruse. She don't fuck herround, No.
Speaker 2: She's just talented.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I'm excited to have Jackie Cruise, and I know you you love Jackie Cruise, So I think we should take a quick commercial break, come back. And she also had just got married, so we have a lot to talk about. Oh shoot during COVID. Yeah, okay, we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: We are back, my little benbinos, and we have missed Jackie kru.
Speaker 3: Bay Lucky.
Speaker 1: Yes, Jackie. First of all, First of all, congratulations, you must start out by telling us that you just got married. Correct. Oh shit, yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that response. Oh shit, yeah I did I did do that. Please tell me how this went down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys, this will be the first people that I talked to about it.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, damn spill all.
Speaker 1: The team, Jackie, before you tell us. I have to tell you something. You know, our wedding was supposed to be April eighteenth, as you probably know, and and because of COVID, we pushed it back September and then Lalla called me. I was like, we cannot do this now, we must do it next year. I'm boat we pushed the next year. So I just want to hear your experience, like was that the projected real date or did you have to move it or did you just improvise?
Speaker 3: No, No, I am like hippie vibes, Like I was like, you know what, COVID is a good excuse not to invite everybody? You know.
Speaker 2: Oh you're smart.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: I'm not like it.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding. I'm kidding. I did get away with it, but no, I just wanted something small. It was going to be like this, no matter about if it was COVID or not, you know what I mean. So like it. It was sad that I couldn't, you know, invite the people you know that are older in my family, just to protect them. But other than that, it was just beautiful immediate family. Fernando Garcia rosas my podcast.
Speaker 1: You know what sucks Jackartith. You know what sucks, Jackie the fact that you could say your man's name like that, and Lala's gotta go out there and say randall Emmett. I mean, it's just I'll changing my.
Speaker 2: Name do something.
Speaker 1: Wait.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's an artist. How how did you guys meet?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, this was like six years ago. I was looking. Yeah, I was actually walking into a place where I was going to sing at with my guitarist and Fernando was bartending, and I was like, holy shit, that guy is fucking hot. But he looks like he's sixteen, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Then he started he was in sixteen. But then he started talking to me and he was like, old mommy, what can I get you? And I'm like, oh god, oh my god. I was like, where are you from Columbia? Because I just like broke up with a terrible Columbian. I was like, where you from Columbia? Because I was, you know, already pissed. But he had an accent. But no, he's Mexican, so other than that, like he I guess he heard me sing and he was like, you know, yeah, totally. And then like we broke up actually last year for like what no, a year and a half. And then he had this dream about me and it came to me through like his brother's like girlfriend and she's like you want to hear this, and I'm like, I hate, man, I fucking hate I want to hear nothing. Right and then and then I fucking read it and it was like the most beautiful like scenario, and like I'm like, fuck, I'm gonna call him. And then this Christmas or last Christmas, we started talking again and he proposed because I was like, yo, I don't want a boyfriend. I don't want no man, like nothing. And I was like I'm dating a lot of people right now, and he's like, well let the best man win.
Speaker 2: Wow, he was up for the challenge.
Speaker 1: I like this guy. Oh yeah, he's cool.
Speaker 3: And then finally, you know, I was like, you know, if you want to marry me, that's a different question, but I don't want a boyfriend. So awesome.
Speaker 2: She's like, I don't want to man or boyfriend, but a husband now that I will take.
Speaker 1: I'm going to just say something right here, Jackie, you're a straight up badass to I mean, that's pretty badass. That's like I want nothing.
Speaker 2: But that's a real man too, to be like, all right, let's do this because most men quote unquote boys four years you know, Damn, I'm so happy for you.
Speaker 3: So here did your mom too? Like my family's a matriarch, like my mom's hafa, like the boss. And he asked my mom and she said yes, And I said, what the hell did you tell her? He's like, I promised her to love you forever. And I was like.
Speaker 2: To go, I have chills. That is so sweet. Yeah, And then where did you guys get married? You said, you said you're a bit of a little hipster, so how did you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, in Mexico, in Mexico, and it was like the most I don't know, it's like our little secret spot that I don't want to like say right now, but I'll have to say anything you don't want to say. But I was just like I wanted to disappear with my family for like, you know, I wanted to disappear with him. And we disappeared in Mexico for like a month, and then the last week we invited like twelve people and they came and stayed with us in the villa, and I created the wedding in the month that I was there by just meeting people and saying, hey, you think I could get married here and they're like, yeah, sure, Like it was just like that. I hired local people. I just flew out my photographer and one of my best friends is my makeup artist, Elena. So that was it and it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: You're so cool, Like that is the coolest thing I've ever heard. I just went to much like no stress at all. And can I tell you there is no culture that I adore more than Mexican culture. I like, I'm obsessed with it. So I can only imagine the love and the passion and the fun that went down during that time.
Speaker 3: A beautiful indigenous ceremony, spiritual. We had you know, the shaman. She was incredible and she sang to us, and there was a you know, a drummer and someone you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Are you at any point gonna show videos of this? Oh yeah, okay, because I'm dying to see it. Oh my god, you see.
Speaker 3: It soon because I'm coming to y'all soon.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's right, I'm gonna see you. Wait, are you coming by the way, that we're gonna switch gears down to that.
Speaker 2: I have hold on. I have to know this. I have one question before, like Randa likes to say, we pivot, did you guys write your own vows?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: It was funny because my uh, the girl was like from a conason and I'm like, nah, girl, I wrote this down and She's like no, no, no, and I was like no, and then she started singing AHM, and I'm like trying to say my vows. Yeah, it was like a comedic moment. But yeah, I definitely wrote them and he wrote his and we both cried. It was just it was beautiful. I really recommend that.
Speaker 2: I fully agree.
Speaker 1: I already I've already written sane. Yeah, I have to polish it up, but I'm like ready to go.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm ready to go too. I'm well, I'm so happy for you Jackie.
Speaker 3: Well, I also want you guys to promise me I'll take you to my little hiding spot in Mexico. We go together to celebrate Yeah, this movie that's gonna come out soon.
Speaker 1: And by the way, by the way, Jackie, I'll provide the jet and you just show us the spot.
Speaker 3: Will go Randall. You know I've never been on a jet.
Speaker 1: Right, stop that bullshit, Jackie. Right now, I break you right now, I'm breaking that ship right now, Jackie, I need to treak it. I will break that ship right now. Nobody's allowed to get on the mic with me and tell me they are a virgin private jet person. So I am. Yeah. We are going. So we're gonna pick a trip, you and your man, me and Laala. We won't go super far because Lala is pregnant, but we'll go somewhere somewhere fun.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, congratulations. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mama. It's I just say it's lazy. Yeah, dude, it's an exciting time. Yes, people are getting married and making babies during COVID. There's a there's a little bit of.
Speaker 3: Good during this coming out of it, and you know what, the world, the world is healthier. I gotta be honest with you, Like the corals, you know, everything is like I don't know, growing back, yeah, thriving.
Speaker 1: We need it, you know, we needed, Jackie. We need like a reset. You know, we just did a reset.
Speaker 3: And I think all of us because we're always like what's next, What's next? What's next, Like we never really appreciated the moment. Like I've been watching your IDs and you You've had beautiful moments with your with your daughters lately, you know what I mean, Like you really wouldn't have had that time before.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. And I'm going to tell you something. I've had more quality time with my partner here, I've had more quality time with my children. Lala is always living ten steps forward and I'm living thirty steps forward. And for the first time, we don't have to live one hundred thousand steps forward. I mean we obviously, you know, we played more pickleball together. We watched more movies and TV shows. I would have never seen the seventeen thousand episodes of television that Lala and I cuddled and lay in bed and watched if this hadn't happened.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: I love that we have to find the light in the dark times. I guess you know.
Speaker 1: I'm pivoting to the career right now, right, all right, So Jackie, I need people to hear because you are a boss. You're a boss both in acting and in music. Just give me a snapshot, you know, I know you started out in high school with like will I AM's producers and had a girl group or or a music group. Tell me how that hall started and how you got to where you are, Like what was your journey? Your path?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, my journey was crazy. Like I told you, I came here at fifteen from the Dominican Republic. Like I was the only Dominican here really, Like there was one and I'll name her Donya Ramirez.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I spoke to her. I was I think I was a co check girl when she was in Fat Albert or whatever. And I was like, I'm Dominican too. I want to sing an act and she was like, girl, you can do it. And I fucking will always remember that shit that she like was like, you know, really really beautiful heart, and she like called me and gave me advice. But yeah, but like it was hard because I didn't have any friends. You know. I came here like eleventh grade, like you know, people thought I was cool or whatever because I was like from a different country that they thought was in New York. I'm like, nah, it's not a New York son, It's like the Caribbeans. They're like, oh, they never heard of it, you know, back then, that's what happened, you know, and I guess you know, I went into this Hamilton High school, which actually I know that one of your other uh my coach, well and my co stars and another actor in your movie. Uh, he also went to that high school. And he was popping at that time.
Speaker 1: Wait, which hurt. Oh, awesome, that is so cool.
Speaker 3: We went to like that music academy or whatever, and that's awesome. Yeah, and I you know, he was popping back then, you know, and I was just like, wow, that's so cool. He goes to my high school. But we weren't in classes together. But regardless, like you know, I was. My mother always was very strict with me, and you know, I came into this La scene Matt early, and you know, kids were mad independent, you know, they had their own money and we didn't. You know, I received paysos, not you know, dollars, so I had like paysos coming from the Dominican Republic. So we had this little studio apartment in Koreatown and then my mom you know, moved in her like now husband, and I was just like, Mom, I can't you know, be like a teenage girl in a studio, living in the kitchen, so like, I'm moving out and I met this like girl because I had two jobs. I was like the cashier at Baja Fresh at the Beverly Connection, oh yeah, and then wow yeah. And then I was the co check girl in Hollywood and Highland for this club called Level three or Club one seven and it was like a fifteen and over year old club or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah damn yeah.
Speaker 3: And there was like all these Disney kids, so I felt good. I was like, you know, like you working co check, meeting all these cute little Disney celebrities seven Evan you know whoever. Like I'm dating myself now, but AnyWho. Long story short is that I met this girl and I moved out, and you know, I told my mom, who changed her life for me, you know, like I don't like what you tell me to do, so I'm moving. She's like, you want to go, Jackie, go, but don't fucking come back. Sorry. I don't know if I can say that.
Speaker 1: Everybody say what you want here.
Speaker 3: He was just like, you know, being an adult is not easy. Just don't come back. And I was like, fine, mom, my ride is outside. It was like a Honda Civic. I was mad and pressed and as I didn't have a ride, so I was just like cool, long story short, is it? That fucking ride got me into a major car accident And like at sixteen, like I like flew out of the car because I wasn't wearing a seapot and I had immediate like brain surgery and you know, a coma. I wasn't gonna live and then like I random left. Yeah, So, like I talked about it in my album and I have a song called Melly sixteen because there was this little girl in a wheelchair who like came up to me and was like, you're so pretty when I had like a shaved head and like pretty much not a face, and that just changed my life. So I dedicated my song to her, and she's in my actual music video which is called Melly sixteen and my album. So yeah, so that's really how it all started kind of, and like I kind of gave up on acting because in Hollywood, you know, they're just used to seeing like maybe the Mexican like look and there, they don't really understand that Caribbean we're just mixed with like Africa and indigenous and you know, Spanish, so like we look different, and all of us look all different, you know, colors, So they didn't really understand why I had this long, curly hair and I could speak fluent Spanish and I didn't look Mexican, you know. So that's why I gave up on acting. Wow, focus on music. Yeah, and music brought me to New York.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what how old were you when you went to New York for music?
Speaker 3: So I went to New York for music, maybe twenty three, and I gave up acting and I started at fifteen. Imagine I had my car accident.
Speaker 1: What a loss to our community? You know what I mean? You waitning, I mean, I'm saying. I'm serious. You don't at that time, Like at that time, you decide you just get down because of the opportunity. You don't feel as there. You go to New York and then you get into the music scene, right what you're already into. But I mean, now, what happens in New York? Well, you know what, let's say, quick break, We're gonna come right back at two seconds. Now, I want to hear all of this. This is awesome.
Speaker 2: We're back with Jackie Cruz. Okay, so you are now twenty three at this time and you're in New York doing music. Now, tell me did people understand more of like because I know that New York now has a very heavy dr population. Were they more receptive of where you come from? They always had it right, yeah, New York, Like I.
Speaker 3: Was born in Queens, Like New York always has the Dominican the Puerto Rican like okay, really heavy. But it was like, you know, the movies are made in California, you.
Speaker 2: Know, but you probably, I mean you come out to Californian you probably felt like there was no place for you. People didn't understand like where you're.
Speaker 3: At because remember that I'm coming from the Dominican Republic, and right when you're this little girl and watch TV, you just think of Hollywood, you know, totally you don't think of like New York. Which that's why I said I was probably the only Dominican who didn't move to New York and was in California, right, Right.
Speaker 2: So when you got to New York, did you feel like like I'm home, I feel comfortable and content here.
Speaker 3: Yeah? Because like there was also like a Broadway show called In the Heights and they were all about like it's a Dominican story.
Speaker 1: Do you know that my friend Do you know that my friend Andrea Burns was in in the Heights?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: Yes? Wow? You know?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, my.
Speaker 1: Friend Andrea Burns, which was one of my best friends growing up. We went to the New World School of the Arts of Miami together and she still is a big Broadway person. And the first time I ever heard of into into the Heights was her. And she's her family's his mother's Venezuelan and the fathers. You know, uh, just a Jew like me.
Speaker 3: But you know, you know that's that's what like called me again. Like I love to sing it's my heart, it's my soul, and that's who I truly am. But I also love to play all these different people because I have. It's an outlet for me and like to be honest, like I missed it. And there was this girl that you know, I was waitressing at Lavo. I opened up Lavo. Wow, and Knowheppenberg is still yeah. Boys call them, Yeah, they're my there are my people. You know, I love them. And you know, Noah always believed in me. He's like one day Jackie, I see it and he always told me that, And you know, Melissa always. She would actually his wife would always come to my shows at the big where I sang, and they would be like five people and one of them was Melissa.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: These are my like my they're my heart, like they're they're true people.
Speaker 1: I just I just want to tell you one thing. Noah and Jason and Noah always just like our buddy David Grutman in Miami. You know those are just yeah, me too. Yeah, but I'm saying those are like people. They're like they are on top of the world. And even when I was coming up and didn't have much, and I'm sure you felt the same, they treated me the same as they treat me today as they did twenty something years ago.
Speaker 3: So I lacktly when I was a waitress for them, you know, like I was his friend first, then I was his waitress and then you know, I can't really hang out with them too much because of you know, work issues. But then but they were still always respectful. They believed in me. They were you know, Melissa was my friends. And then now like shit, they get me tables, you know what I mean, Like they're the best. And you know, Dave Grutman is the one who gave me my first well he recommended me for my first waitressing job in Miami.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's amazing. And they probably all knew that you were gonna be someone great someday. And it feels good when people who who see celebrities all the time and then they look at you and you like, you know, you haven't quite made it yet, and they're like, you're gonna make it one day. You're like, damn, you.
Speaker 1: Really think so? But it shows their character, don't Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it just makes you believe that you are, you know. So like that's why I give him so much credit. Literally, he could be busy as hell and he'll always text. So I always got to give a shout out to my people because let me tell you something. I was working as a waitress season one, two and three at Lavo before I got fired. But we'll talk about that late. But yeah, like you know what I mean, Like Orange didn't pay me until later on until you know, the show kicked off and they were like, oh, we got something here. And it was a test, you know. The first season was a test and they picked out the people they wanted to write for. But the reason why I got the show was because I missed, you know, acting, and one of the girls had a manager and she was like, see my manager, and the manager's like cool. And my first audition was for Flaka. And there's also another girl that worked with me that was like this feisty Latina uh and I'm gonna color out Karina.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 3: She would get that crazy and like I would imitate her. You know, I was like, don't fuck with my three m's, my mama, my man. She said, my mama, my man, and my money. You fuck with my money to that bitch. She would literally talk like that right, Oh my god. I love her, And then she would have a crush on the like manager and she's like I saw you talking to my man. I was like, girl, he's just teaching me how to use like micros and she's like, oh, did you say anything about me? Like she's fucking nuts. So like when I auditioned for Flaka, it was Karina that I was like embodying.
Speaker 2: No, you're channeling a girl that you knew from Like that's awesome, Yes, yes, that's my girl, yo.
Speaker 3: And now she's she finished high school. You know, she had a tough upbringing, but like she's living her dream right now, and I call her like Flacka's future, you know, yeah, because you know she got out of the of that world, right.
Speaker 2: I think everyone fell in love with you when you stepped onto Orange is the New Black, because every time you stepped onto the screen, it was like you were just infatuated with what you brought to that character. I'm being dead serious. I remember I first started watching Orange Is the New Black when I moved to LA seven years ago. I don't remember how many seasons y'all had at that time, but I just remember I was like, this show is single handedly making me feel like I'm gonna make shit happen out here. Like I don't know how, but I'm feeling less depressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because we're finally we see like us kind of like we get to see us on TV, which we don't usually see right.
Speaker 2: In the backstories of everybody, Like I think Jenji Cohen is just absolutely fucking brilliant. I mean that had to be just like it's surreal moment when they're like, oh, by the way, like we are gonna was it? Or like, did you guys not know that Orange was gonna be that big, No.
Speaker 3: We like this is when Netflix was still like mailing you like CDs. Oh shoot yeah, Like my cousin was like, oh, I'm gonna have to pay for that shit, Like is that like what she's like? Is that a web series? Like I got mad? I got made fun of? Like seriously, wow, Well now he's laughing.
Speaker 1: Out right exactly. You tell him, Jackie. I gotta tell you. People don't know. Jackie's like a huge deal besides being an actress. People know you, but you're a huge deal of music. I've seen you perform at football stadiums like it's nobody's business. Nobody's business.
Speaker 3: That's it was scary. You got to act like it's.
Speaker 1: All right now. I just want to tell people that are listening because people I don't know if they know, but you know, we just after six months of being shut down on my first movie I'm directing Midnight, which people have heard about, and they've had a meal her Sean and Machine on Kelly and Megan Fox. Jackie has been part of this cast from the jump. It's just we've been shut down and we actually resume filming now. So Jackie is about to collab with her friend Randall so there we go.
Speaker 3: Gosho, yo, do you know that I've been dreaming about this like the whole twenty twenty oh man, Like I was supposed to be in Puerto Rico. I was already supposed to be on your jet.
Speaker 1: I doubt that's true, Jackie. You were already supposed to be on that jet. But you know what, the world came to a halt and we are now going to try to push it forward again.
Speaker 3: So anyway, I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: We're ready, Jackie. We're ready for you. Yeah, we're ready for you, and and you're going to crush it. You I've always known you were going to crush it and I was lucky to get you. And you were such a bench in the whole process. So thank you.
Speaker 2: When he told me that you took that role, I was like, oh my, I san girl out. Not over very many people, but there are certain people that I just there's something about them where I'm like.
Speaker 3: You know what, la la, I do believe you because when we first met, you were a fucking like gem, like such a sweetheart. I gave you my number that night.
Speaker 2: We did did Yeah, No, you and I hit We.
Speaker 3: Have some you know, mutual friends in common. I know, yeah, like I worked at SIR before I moved to like New York.
Speaker 2: Yes, how the fuck did we not? Yes, she worked at SIR?
Speaker 1: Stop this bullshit? Are you seriously like.
Speaker 3: I like raised Lulu? No, I'm kidding yo, like I used to like Lulu. Like her first three words was Mama, dada, and Jackie, I'm not kidding you.
Speaker 1: You could ask here, Oh wait, how did we not start this conversation?
Speaker 2: I feel like and I have spoken about this so many times, Like I just like didn't even think about it when you detail.
Speaker 3: That organically, because you know, wait.
Speaker 1: Who did when you worked at SIR? When you worked at SIR? Who else worked there from the existing cast? Do you remember? Like was Jack's there? Tom Sandoval?
Speaker 3: No, Jack's wasn't fair, But I knew about him because we had mutual friends and he liked Christina. You like Christina Christina Kelly. I know Christina Kelly was there when I worked there. We know it's like one of my best friends.
Speaker 2: So Jackie is like dear friends with this amazing chick named Kelly. Kelly and I used to hang out every single day because she had a big dog and I had a big dog, so they would run around in her backyard. And now Kelly lives in Texas, best friends with Danny, Shay and Madison and they all work at the same restaurant. How small is this world. I'm just putting that out there. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: By the way, I want to tell you something, Jackie. Just side note. I text Noah, Jason and Grutman and I just told them that they have to listen to our podcasts, and Grutman and Noah within two seconds text back, awesome. So nice. See that's who they are.
Speaker 2: She is. Jackie's such a little gem because when I first met you, I like, I come off as someone who like I pretend like I just have all the confidence in the world. I fake it till I make it girl, And when I saw you, I was like, oh my god, I'm obsessed with her, like just she just has so much talent. There's there's not a lot that impresses me. But when you're a talented person, that right there, I'm immediately just in awe.
Speaker 3: And so nic my episode is called faked and then fake it some more.
Speaker 2: That's that is awesome.
Speaker 3: Like literally, it's it's what it is. But yo, thank you so much for that love, Like I really do believe it, and like, you know, I appreciate you and Randal so much because I watch you guys, and you know, it ain't easy doing everything that you're doing. And now you're pregnant, and like you know, I see your makeup, lying, girl, I.
Speaker 1: See you know.
Speaker 3: We're just all trying you.
Speaker 2: We're out here trying to make a dollar, baby.
Speaker 3: And I'm telling you, if you don't give up, if you don't if you just work on your craft and just don't give up and be the best that you like for you I'm not trying to be the Army right now, but like be the best that you know, like you can be for yourself, Like I criticize myself. I have grown so much since season one on Orange, like I am have blossomed, and I have more to blossom. Like, just don't give up. You know people are always gonna say she don't think she can act. Well maybe I can't right now, bitch, but like why, you.
Speaker 2: Know it's amazing, right, I love it.
Speaker 3: Jack?
Speaker 2: Before we let you go, is there anything that you are working on that you're excited about besides your new your new marriage, which is like the ultimate thing that you have coming up that you want to tell us about.
Speaker 3: Well, I have this franchise like movie that's coming out called Trummer's Seven.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, dude.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: I filmed it in Thailand like in November of last year, and like the experience of like touching like elephants and like working like around such beautiful nature was just like worth it and it's it was fun. I get to be an action hero Jackie.
Speaker 1: How long are you in Thailand for ten days? That's amazing that I did a bunch of movies back in the day in Thailand and it was life changing for me. So I completely relate.
Speaker 2: Do you take me there, Rand when we can.
Speaker 1: I'm ready to go. Okay, let's go.
Speaker 2: I love it, Jackie. You're the ship for coming on our podcast.
Speaker 3: We love you so bad. Thank you. We can't wait to see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yes, I will see I will see you tomorrow, Jackie.
Speaker 3: Right, thank you guys for inviting me and asking me.
Speaker 1: Like, we love you and thank you and I can't wait to see you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I did a freaking ted talk like thank you. Yes, I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Guys so much. Love, We love you. Thank you, Jack.
Speaker 2: I really love her. It's so crazy because every time, like our guests that come on, I feel like we know most of them, and then every time we have them on, I'm like, they're so cool and sweet, like they don't have to come. You are such a rookie. I can't even believe it. Like I'm having a really genuine moment and your phone.
Speaker 1: You know, how can I tell you something? You know how I used to stop that line of mine where I'd say, oh, don't forget about me with ran Yeah, rookie got to go away.
Speaker 2: Well, you would think that you'd stop being one, you know, right, stop being a rookie, and it will come up with something.
Speaker 1: I'm not a rookie because I am the greatest.
Speaker 2: Like thirty something episode.
Speaker 1: Greatest talent booker on the face of podcasts.
Speaker 2: All I'm gonna say is, look.
Speaker 1: Stacey even else, Yes, that's true. Have you ever seen a podcast come out of the gate thirty episodes in with the level of talent I brought? So if I'm a rookie with the damn cell phone, I'm an expert high level on talent booking.
Speaker 2: Okay, let the phone ring, baby, You're right you're right, letter Ring Rookie.
Speaker 1: All right, baby, I have to ask question you know what. I want to tell you something. An I'll shut up again because I get excited. You know. I feel like COVID, you know, slowed a lot of friendships down that we have. Yeah, and I really miss people like Jackie and we need to make a little more of an effort to like get together.
Speaker 2: With I have learned during COVID that I value the friendships that I have, that we pick up where we left off, that we may have not spoken for weeks, maybe a couple months, and it's just like we are right back where we used to be. So I agree with you, and I also think it's important that we acknowledge the fact that our guests do not have to come on our podcast. They do that because they want and they are badasses for doing that. So just like our guests, you guys don't have to listen, and you do, and we love you for that. Thank you for coming back every single week to listen to us bumpcoms. We love you and we will catch you next Wednesday.