Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt. Our colleague Noel is still on an adventure, but will be returning shortly.
Speaker 3: They call me Bed. We're joined as always with our super producer, Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you are you. You are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Friends and neighbors, fellow conspiracy realists, if you are tuning in the evening this publishes, let us be the first to welcome you to Monday, May nineteenth. Now, our friends over at Daily Zeitgeist, the legendary Miles and Jack often like to begin their show by naming off a number of national days. Right, Remember we Matt, You and I talked about this over the years. I think we're both befuddled by how ambiguous the process of creating a national day is in the United States. Right, you just have to like catch Congress at the end of a session and say, everybody, you guys like sandwiches?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it is a little weird because there are levels of official holiday in this country.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right, We have very few holidays where the American worker actually gets the day off. And I do want to give respect to reluctant but objective respect to the United Kingdom, where they straight up have holidays that are just called bank holidays. There's no religious implication, there's no you know, nationalistic implication. It's simply that the bank is closed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty cool. And we have tax holidays.
Speaker 3: We have tax holidays. And in the spirit of our pal, the legendary Miles Gray, who taught us this. If you're hearing this, the day it publishes, this is get this Matt May nineteenth. In the United States, it's frog Jumping Jubilee Day, It's Malcolm X Day, It's Hepatitis testing Day, and it celebrate your elected officials Day. Why which one?
Speaker 2: All of them? But Malcolm X, all of those the malcam X.
Speaker 3: I'm tempted to agree with you. We also we had a brief conversation off Mike if we whether or not we wanted to talk about one of the largest most expensive gifts ever given to a US president, an airplane. You've seen the news as our as a brother. Dylan pointed out, John Stewart has a hot twenty minutes on it, so check out that story. We wanted to start this conversation by asking ourselves if we play chess. Matt Dylan, do you guys play chess?
Speaker 2: Sometimes?
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to sound like me talking about tech and I don't play.
Speaker 2: Hey, no, I'm not amazing at chess. I do enjoy the game, though, but my son is getting better and better every time we play.
Speaker 3: Nice Dylan says, he's never learned chess, so this may be a chance for you and me and your son to you know, have a big win. I'm laughing because Dylan follows up and says he's a huge fan of checkers at Cracker Barrel. I love it too.
Speaker 2: I just bought one of the giant ones that they call him the carpet Chess.
Speaker 3: Yeah you got one.
Speaker 2: I just got one so the kids over here can play checkers.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, it's the same board, right.
Speaker 2: It's from I got it from Cracker Barrel.
Speaker 3: Amazing, amazing, and I believe you can still play checkers in Afghanistan. However, fellow chess nerds, we have some news for you. You cannot play chess in Afghanistan anymore. It has been officially banned in the country and this is due to not criminal concerns so much as religious considerations. So yeah, this is up there with more I think activity or behavior policing on the part of the interim government will go to Comma dot com by an article by fidel Or Ahamati which reads the following. Officials from the Ministry of Sports confirmed chess activities are suspended as of Sunday, May eleventh. They had to find suitable answers regarding religious concerns. Right.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing images of law enforcement officers there in Afghanistan going around like listening really closely for the sound of the click, right, other people taking turns, yeah, or like back rooms that you open up at some restaurant. You creak open a door and there's just a couple of guys huddled around.
Speaker 3: Chess speak easy, yeah, exactly right in whispers. It seems that, at least according to conversations with Western analysts who definitely have their own bag of badgers, it seems that maybe the concerns are regarding some of the names of the pieces. I would imagine particularly the bishop. So maybe that in some ways has spreaffed the dander of these religious authorities. We'd love to hear more from you, folks. We're moving quickly. Matt and I have many, many tales to tell today, things to share. We're going to talk a lot about resource extraction. We're going to talk about some legal conspiracies, some strange arrest. We may end by talking about the future of a non human civilization. But before we do any of that, it is no secret that we here on stuff they don't want you to know. Travel often, which means we need airports to work. So we need airports to new work. So we're going to pause for a word from our sponsors, and then what do you say. I want to dive into that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's take a fight or not and we've returned. Let's take a little flight over to Newark, New Jersey if anybody remembers that from SNL. But really we're going to Philadelphia. We're going to the Philadelphia Terminal Radar Approach Control or track on this they call it. We're heading over there because that is the Philadelphia Terminal Radar Approach Control. That is the outfit that handles air traffic control for the Newark Airport, the very very large airport there in Newark, New Jersey. There are a lot of flights that come in and out of that Newark Liberty International Airport, and when there are problems there, it's a big deal because these are people flying in and out of New York City, one of the most populous areas in the United States, and also where lots of really important business gets to.
Speaker 3: You know, sure, we've all been there.
Speaker 2: We've all been to New York, have not lived there yet. But Newark Airport is interesting because you've got what You've got three airports in that immediate area. You've got JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark. When something goes down there at one of those three big airports, it's gonna have a knock on effect for all of the other airports where those flights fly out to. And we're talking hundreds and hundreds of flights per day. So again, Domino's here, what happened at Trackon is pretty scary. The air traffic controllers on April twenty eighth lost communications with the systems that they used to see all of the planes in the sky for only ninety seconds, but ninety seconds of not being able to know where any flight is. And what do those air traffic controllers do, Ben.
Speaker 3: Oh, they control air traffic for one hundred alex.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, they they set They work with the pilots to set for flight plans and make sure all of the flights don't hit each other, to make sure that the each landing strip is only being used by one plane at one time, and then each of the planes then taxiing are not going to be running into each other. It's it's huge.
Speaker 3: They also actively now this is not AI run as an industry. They also actively contextualize changes that will affect the future of their airport and pass things like delays for weather or mechanical concerns that will affect things in terms of like look, air traffic controller professionals are, in my opinion, kind of stressed out. And you and I and maybe Dylan we both know a few, and they're consummate professionals. They're often in an uphill situation because circumstances change so quickly. You can't really if you're atc you do not have a day where you kick your feet up and just have a nice like macha or something no like. You have to be on on for a while, and especially if you're working with antiquated equipment, you have to be the eyes in and for the skies. So that ninety seconds you mentioned, Matt, I think this is something all of our aviator friends in the audience are going to be nodding their heads to that ninety seconds could be ninety seconds of disaster quickly.
Speaker 2: And you are the human beings at the wheel in that case, and you are blind because the technology has decided to crap out, or it didn't decide to you. It crapped out for one reason or another. And that wasn't the only problem happening at the airport that day. Let's just get into this because we've been talking about the FAA and changes within the federal government and you know, all kinds of issues. Let's jump over to NPR. I'll give you the title here, how archaic tech, staff shortages and construction made a meltdown at Newark Airport. And just to read from that first paragraph, by the way, this is heard on morning edition there at NPR and written by A. Martinez and Nia Dumas. So here we go. The Newark Airport was dealing with bad weather, staffing shortages, outdated infrastructure, and the airport's busiest runway was closed for renovations until June. So all of that stuff happening together caused such an insane situation for everybody at the airport, not just the air traffic controllers, because their jobs then end up impacting the pilots and the crews. Then those, you know, their jobs end up impacting all the passengers and everybody who's working out on the tarmac, and it's just it's just becomes a mess.
Speaker 3: And that poor guy in like seat thirty eight, e go eight, I have a connecting flight? Do I have a connecting flight? Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because people are in that situation, and when you're in that moment, it is the most important thing in the world in that moment is to get on the next flight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, child slavery, there are other priorities.
Speaker 2: Well, it's true. Unfortunately, I think that's maybe just how humans function when we're in that moment. It's just that's all that matters. So this all occurred, a bunch of the human beings, the air traffic controllers that were there at track on ended up taking time off after that day on April twenty eighth, and they took because they're allowed to take time off when there's something like crazy traumatic, something big happens.
Speaker 3: Ever, like a mental wellness day.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly, because you cannot be on the job if you're not feeling good to go, as you were talking, as you alluded to earlier. Ben So then that all happened. It was all in the news everybody's writing about, including NPR there on May seventh. Then it happens again on Friday, May ninth, another ninety seconds that they have no access to radar in the systems. That thankfully occurred at three point fifty five am, which is a very low traffic time, right, so not as bad, but still something's going wrong with the radar systems there over at Philadelphia Terminal Radar Approach Control.
Speaker 3: Which means that if authorities are not able to isolate and identify wherever this hiccup is occurried, it will inevitably sinan again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, and guess what it did in again, Oh my gosh, on May eleventh. Yeah, again, it was a radar outage. So it's just a it's a scary thing considering what we read about This was a story where a helicopter, a Blackhawk helicopter, accidentally intercepted an incoming flight. Yes, everybody died. Other issues that you know, the industry is having with Boeing planes with other planes.
Speaker 3: A lot of close calls with small private aircraft like picture your assessments as well, that's happening. We know that there. You know, there was chaos at Heathrow not too long ago. One thing I think we need to we need to establish on the air right now, on the air and in the air right now, is the following. At this point in the investigation, there is no hard suspicion of bad faith actors. This does appear to be a consequence of legacy technology, a consequence of lack of maintenance and updates and improvements, and our a consequence of I don't know, not looking out for the ATC.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and you can read all of the official statements from the FAA over on the FAA dot gov website. Check it out. They've got statements on every one of these moments that occurred, and you know, most it's going over basically exactly what happened here, and it has a lot to do with staffing, but again. Their last statement that they put out on May thirteenth is all about, hey, we've got twenty two fully certified controllers, we've got five fully certified supervisors, and twenty one controllers and supervisors in training. So they are doing their best, as you know, a company, as a group an organization, to bring up more people to be in that position to fill in when something goes wrong on the human side. But when it comes to the test system, yeah, they need huge updates and they need funding to make those huge updates. So we'll see how all of that plays out politically over the next year.
Speaker 3: Or so, which is a bummer because tech has no religion nor ideology just yet, depending on how agi goes and how it feels about itself, I imagine. But I appreciate that point, and I think it's I think it's crucial that we make that point now. US Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy was talking on May twelfth to reporters and said, look, we know what went wrong to the earlier point. He said, there's a relay system feeding data from New York to Philly, and that relay system failed and that is part of this domino effect, this chain of suss tech. Right, SUSTech sounds like it should be a word, but anyway, it's the new SPI kids. So right now, as I'm catching up with all this to actually delaying a flight to the northeast Newark Airport is under a ground delay now as we record on Wednesday, May fourteenth, but it's due this time to weather. They're low cloud ceilings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, whether they're a low cloud seating is what I heard too. But I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it. This is why we hang out, all right, dude.
Speaker 2: Last thing, Ben, I just want to put in here. This is more stuff from who is this? This is from the FAA specifically, but Secretary Duffy. Transportation Secretary Duffy has stated there's all kinds of things that need to happen. They're going to add new high bandwidth telecommunications connections being these things called the STARS system. I don't understand exactly what the STARS system is at this moment. I'm sure we can look that up. They're going to replace copper telecommunications connections with updated fiber optic tech. Hey, that's a good idea, sure, And they're putting in a temporary backup system, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's also one of those things where you know it's announced is good news, but the implication is a little bit spoopy. Doup rights. It's like hearing local fire department to have hoses installed on trucks and you're like, great, guys, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Also, what we just had a bunch of straws before, right.
Speaker 3: Right, we have no backup system. We do also know, of course, that current civilization depends upon safe air travel. It depends upon safe air transit. If people don't care for the travel aspect of it, I imagine that we are going to see more more work in this case. And I'm going to be cynical about why I believe these problems will be fixed. Would you like to hear it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Because wealthy people use planes.
Speaker 2: Ah, you're right. But do they fly out of Newark? Is the question?
Speaker 4: I mean, right, do they fly? Do they do they fly commercial?
Speaker 3: Uh? Maybe not? But the truly wealthy own a big interest in the function of commercial airlines. And from a defense perspective, which we don't really talk about, the United States will never abandon its own ability to manufacture aircraft, you know, I mean and to and to hold that infrastructure sacroo sainct.
Speaker 2: Well, less we just start ordering them all from Qatar.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, they'll still be though they'll still be they'll be about thirteen years old if I'm if I'm read up on that. But then you have to you have to consider, we're gonna move on. We're gonna hear. We're gonna hear later from a couple fellow conspiracy realists in the aviation field who have their own thoughts on UH air traffic control in particular. So please tune in later this week. In the meantime, Matt Dylan, before we uh head off to catch a flight to Newark, should we do an ad? Yeah, we have returned and we are going to stay in Newark for the moment. We're going to run through several stories quickly.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: But while we're While we're doing this, we're gonna follow kind of a thematic thread that is very important to Matt Dylan and your truly. Our first story is the following. This happened pretty recently. Earlier this month, the mayor of Newark, a town we just mentioned, was arrested at an immigration detention facility where he was According to various perspectives, he was protesting. So the idea is that the mayor ros Baraka was arrested Friday and he had been protesting the opening of this immigration detention center. We'll give you more details in a second, but we need to understand that the narrative diverges very quickly because this ice detention facility, immigration detention facility was It's not its first rodeo. It was reopened. It's Delaney Hall if you want to look it up. D E. L. An Ey and and supporters of investigating this facility. Notice the diplomatic language there are saying that the mayor was not protesting, that the mayor was legally investigating this structure, this compound. And right now Braka is running to succeed Governor Phil Murphy, so he has higher political ambitions. He has been involved with the great state by state contention, I would say, over the immigration issue. And he aggressively pushed back on the idea of opening or reopening this center. He said it doesn't square with building permits, which is kind of a matrix dodge of larger moral contentions. He he was literally arrested. Officials blocked his entry when he went in with three other members of a congressional delegation from New Jersey. That would be representatives, respectfully, Robert Menendez, Lamonica mc iver, and Bonnie Watson Coleman. So the fads say you can't come in here. There is what corporate America would call a healthy conversation and what everyone else would call people shouting at each other and yelling and pushing. And then this is reported by Very Martinez, who is an activist associated with New Jersey Alliance for Immigrant Justice. Martinez says, there was yelling and pushing quote. Then the officers swarmed Baraka. They threw one of the organizers to the ground. They put Baraka again the mayor of Newark, in handcuffs and put them in an unmarked car. Look, this is his Historically, nobody wants to hear this, but this is historically not the first time a mayor in a city in the United States has been arrested. However, I want to throw to you here, Matt for your thoughts. However, we can see why this might give some people the jimmies. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, you don't go after the mayor, you say, mister mayor, Please, we need you to stop doing this. Please, mister mayor, as in you're talking to an authority figure. But if when you've got federal agents or people working at a federal level who come out and arrest a city's, a major city's mayor, it just the picture it paints is that I don't know what. Ah.
Speaker 4: So that's that's that's the issue, because okay, let's a politically just with the with some critical thought.
Speaker 3: Let's walk through this. As we said earlier, there are four what you say, authority figures, right, a mayor, three reps. So why is only the mayor arrested? Why did the narratives differ? If we look toward a statement by Department of Homeland Security, they said the lawmakers had not asked in advance for a tour of the facility. They also did not respond to that question about why only the mayor was arrested. They did, however, say the following quote or through a spokesperson quote, Members of Congress are not above the law. We can agree with that and cannot illegally break into detention facilities. Okay, sure, fine, no one can. Had these members requested a tour, we would have facilitated a tour. So it's kind of like I guess in their logic, it's like a fancy restaurant that doesn't take walkins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it is kind of true, right, if you have a detention center, you don't want people just anybody coming in and out of it, like if it's on a if it's a federal detention center, I can imagine you want to lock that place down because of the very nature of the place that it is. Right.
Speaker 3: But but.
Speaker 2: These are important individuals, you know, who operate the city and this, you know, the state that this facility is operating within. So it does feel like you wouldn't I don't know, man, it makes me think of I think it was listener mail the other day. We were talking about one of the one of the executive orders that was put out about strengthening and unleashing the law enforcement in America, Right, and there's that one little piece in there about local leaders and when local leaders demonizes or cast dispersions or prevent law enforcement from being able to operate the way we want them to on a federal level, they will be prosecuted essentially.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It makes me think of that, like maybe the very protest or the very yeah, the very concept of protesting. It and ice facility like that. You know, doesn't matter who's operating it, what private company is like in charge there, It's going to be seen as an act of aggression against probably the administration.
Speaker 3: Sure. Yes. Also the logical conundrum, right the bag of badgers here is what is what counts as a protest versus what counts as not only the legal rights but the legal duties of representatives of the people. Right, all of these folks, the mayor and the reps, they were elected by their constituents, which means that they have beat me here, and they have certain they are required to do. Theoretically, it's no secret that politicians often fall short of doing what they are supposed to be doing. But this I think exists to your point, Matt, your beautiful point earlier. This exists in a larger context because at the same time, the United States has seeing signals that are kind of anti habeas corpus. Remember habeas corpus.
Speaker 2: Huh sounds familiar, something about a body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you have the body. Right, So, the idea is that if you are locked up, you are imprisoned, you are able to I guess the diplomatic way to put it, we are not lawyers. The diplomatic way to put it is, in this country, you have a right to appear in a court. You have a right to go to a judge because they have your body. In every sense, you have a right to go like, hey, you know, why why am I here?
Speaker 2: Why me? What I do?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Did I like spit out chewing gum in Singapore because I thought this was America? And then the judge is like, oh awesome, sick line, Yes this is America. Right. So people are also this is the next story. People are also worried by what they see as signals that the current administration is going to suspend the writ of habeas corpus, the protection against unlawful detention or imprisonment, which is enshrined in the Constitution.
Speaker 2: This is new to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a guy from earlier named Stephen Miller who got into the news with some of this stuff and their idea. Here will give you a quote from Miller when he's talking to reporters outside of the White House quite recently. He says, quote, the Constitution is clear the privilege right, the privilege of the rid of habeas corpus, can be suspended in a time of get this mat invasion, So to say it's an option we're actively looking at. A lot of it depends on whether the courts do the right thing or not.
Speaker 4: Oh god, it's a nice constitution you have there.
Speaker 3: It'd be a shamed something happened to it.
Speaker 2: It's what it feels like the language in there. You don't have to have a character, you don't have anything, just the language.
Speaker 3: Yeah, privilege option.
Speaker 4: We're actively looking at whether the courts do the right thing or not.
Speaker 2: A time of invasion. You clocked to that man that is who Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And of course you know Steven Miller is not himself the president of the United States, so that that is a high level political official saying something on behalf of the administration. But it's not the same thing as you know, the current president saying, what's all this complicated language?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 3: I just it's got the Yeah, we're both kind of doing the stink face and not the cool stink face that you do when you hear.
Speaker 2: Good rap no, no, no, as a distinct stink face. This is this feeling gross. Well, we should we connect this? I know there's more to talk about there, but should we connect it to the recent Department of Agriculture thing.
Speaker 3: We absolutely should you mind, reader, We've got to talk about Department of ag and I think that'll get us into some resource conversations that you and I are very much looking forward to.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yes, all right, well let's jump into it again, jumping to NPR, who is actively losing their federal funding as we speak, which is an interesting that's a whole other discussion to have just that concept that their state sponsored media in some way, even though there are mostly donations, but it is a potential conflict of interest and always has been with NPR. And however they always have PBS and PBS yes exactly. They do always seem to be i don't know, independent dish with a little bit of slant anyway.
Speaker 5: Okay, so wait, wait, wait wait, also, folks behind the curtain, cut to several years earlier when Matt and I used to party and we're like three beers deep and one of us is going.
Speaker 3: Big bird is propaganda.
Speaker 2: Yes, but then also quoting stuff that's on morning Edition, you know, and we're just like, eh, we're just trying to we're trying to do our best, just like everybody else, just to figure out what the heck is happening at any time? So what is happening now? At least according to NPR and some some let's say, some internal stuff that keeps getting leaked. I don't know if we've all noticed this, but internal machinations that are occurring within the administration get leaked all the time, internal emails. According to a person who can't be named, it's all happening right now. There's a ton of leaked information.
Speaker 3: An anonymous source familiar with the conversation.
Speaker 2: Yes, the record said, talking about the Department of Agriculture, quote demanding states handover personal data of food assistance recipients, including social Security numbers, addresses, and an at least one state citizenship status. These are according to emails shared with NPR by an official who quote was not allowed to speak publicly.
Speaker 3: Cool but was clearly allowed to speak to a reporter. This is such a leaky boat man right now, just on the op SEC. This is wild. It's also you know, it's an interesting contradiction, is it not, Because the the existing ideology would argue that every citizen has a degree of privacy and liberty right, the art of small government and so on. You know, your jurisdiction stops where my nose begins. That kind of thing. However, we can understand why people would see this as counterintuitive to request a new, more invasive wave of personal information from people who did not have to provide that in the beginning. Or I guess you know what. No, let's be fair, let's be objective. If you receive food assistance like EBT or whatever the program may be, Wick vouchers and so on, snap and all that, Yeah, you already have to jump through many hoops to get there, you know what I mean. You can't just walk into the snapshack and say I want SNAP and they're like, oh cool, thanks for coming. No, they want to know stuff about you already. You have to prove that you need it. And sometimes those standards state by state are already extremely rigorous. Right, some would say unfairly so based on inflation data. So what what is the what is the concern here? And oh, also, Matt, we have to mention it's not just the USDA. There's a there's another hand to play, right, one of the newest initiatives agency wise.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, which one? I know? USDA? What's the other one?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's the it's the Department of Governmental Efficiency. The Government Efficiency can't we can't dodge it. We can't dog it. Man.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, okay, yeah, that would make sense why they're looking for so uh, let's talk about why it's a big deal. The SNAP program or Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program is administered on a state by state basis, which means Georgia here where we are, controls all of all of the SNAP money that goes out to people who qualify in Georgia, and it goes the same all the way across all the states. For a federal program to come in, federal organization to come in, specifically DOGE, to be asking questions about citizenship status feels off considering all of the other stuff that is happening right now with immigration with citizenship status, with deporting people to places like Libya and or that may have been shut down who knows just all with all of the stuff happening, having that specific organization DOGE looking at that stuff feels like a red flag like look out. They're looking for people, for more people to just launch out of the United States. It is one thing that that should be known here is that someone who does not have official citizenship status within the US cannot qualify for SNAP in any of the states, but if you are a non citizen parent of a child who is a US citizen, you can qualify, which makes me think that that is specifically what the organization is looking for.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's sort of the chain of operation is to identify those people.
Speaker 2: I mean, And that's my that's my take on looking at it in the wider picture.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's I don't think it's a bridge too far, And I can see the the argument there and without sounding you know, reductive, and without at the same time sounding high faluting. The hard reality of the situation here is that every human being is reliant upon nutrition and sustenance such that it should, in a better world, be considered a human right. And from what I understand, the argument against guaranteeing those rights for people in these United States is saying that they are not a part of the United States, which I find similarly weird. I would just you know what, Checkers had it right. The guys who wrote you Gotta Eat an amazing tagline that's quite honest about the quality of Checkers as a fast food institution. Maybe they should have had a hand in writing some of the Constitution. You know what I mean, it's an inescapable fact that if a population starves, then instability spikes, and we see that again and again. So the question is this a good thing long term? Is this a shortsighted look at us we're doing something getting a headline kind of thing? You know?
Speaker 2: Maybe I want to point to one thing the MPR points to as well, and that is an executive order that was put forward on March twentieth titled Stopping waste, fraud and Abuse by Eliminating Information Silos. And you know, we've talked about siling of information on the show before, a lot of it in the context of the black budget programs, the programs that you know are special access those things where only only a few people actually know what's happening in that area. But there's still a bunch of money that gets allocated to that area. Nobody gets to see what happens to that money, but a.
Speaker 3: Few unless you're on the list for the admission into those underground cities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, and undersea basis. I'm joking a little bit about that maybe, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you well, but in this case, it would.
Speaker 2: It could be seen as the SNAP programs, on a state by state basis receive federal funding to the tune of around one hundred billion dollars a year. So that's not every state, that's all states combined. It could be seen that the federal government wants to see where that money goes and how it is spent.
Speaker 3: Sure, And I think that's I think that's quite objective to say there is nothing wrong with accountability here. We also, at the same time acknowledge fairly valid concerns that this would have an ulterior motive. It's already the language is already what we call dog whistley. And you know, the funny thing about this is at Dylan Friends and neighbors. The funny thing about this is that if we're so worried about spending money in one place, and we're so profligate right spending money on foolish errands in other parts of expenditure or the federal budget, the good news is that the US might come into a lot of money that has just been sitting in the ground. So why are we so worried right about about buying some poor kid? You know, I'll say it not not great cheese and milk, and you know not Look, it's not the top tier groceries, is all I'm saying. These kids aren't eating crab legs, but the like. If we are so worried about money, then shouldn't we as a nation be excited about the one point five trillion estimated dollars worth of lithium recently discovered.
Speaker 2: Oh, we should be so excited. Were so that we probably should take an ad break to celebrate, Yeah.
Speaker 3: A celeb break. And we're in fact, there are some things that we have been tracking over a series of years. You may have heard us mention it recently we were talking off air. We couldn't remember if this was one of our on air conversations or just us hanging out, but we are both over the moon, over the mountain, over the moon, to again explore the one point five trillion US dollars estimated of lithium discovered right here in these United States, occurring at a time when China and the US are super beefed up and conspiring against each other, clearly to figure out who helms the wheel of power. Right now, just you know, if you're talking about resources and you're talking about rare earth minerals and other things that make your electronics go elect Then you are going to see that China is the clear winner, not just for resource access but for processing. So, Matt, can we talk a little bit more about I love the line you had there. Volcanic white Gold used to be used to be Dylan's street name back in Knoxville.
Speaker 2: Volcanic white Gold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a different genre.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, So let's talk about it. There are we talked about the value of these deposits or this deposit The volume is thought to be somewhere between twenty and forty million metric tons. That's a lot of lithium, and that can make a lot of electronics, or at least it can be helpful in making a lot of electronics, specifically batteries. How many pounds of lithium are in a Tesla model S? Ooh?
Speaker 3: How many? How many?
Speaker 2: Around one hundred and thirty eight? Yes, and that's a model S that is not the most common one you're going to see on the roads. That that is the amount you will find in Dan's car. So you know, if he's listening still probably not, but if he is, that's how many pounds of lithium are in your car, Dan.
Speaker 3: Now I remember because that's the first thing he said about that car. You guys like lithium. Check this out.
Speaker 2: Oh but you know, all electric vehicles, anything that uses a lithium ion battery has a certain amount of lithium in it. And nowadays that's a lot of things in our lives.
Speaker 3: Sure, yes, that is why this is as mission critical as a petroleum or fossile fuel supply or a uranium supply. The issue is the pickle the back of Badger's a plate that we mentioned earlier. This will be familiar to anybody in oil or nuclear processing industries. It is important to have access to the raw material right and wars have been launched and probably will launch in the future for access to any raw resource. However, the more important step is processing, or the equally important step. So the reason that China is by all metrics the world leader in rare earth minerals, it's about fifty percent because of access to raw materials through various agreements with other countries, but it is the other fifty percent is the lack of environmental regulation here in the US. Hard environmental regulation and conservation policies prevent the cheap processing of these materials, right, I mean, right now, if you dig into this, because we're fun at parties, right, we know that the US is fast tracking permits for new uranium mining operations in Utah. Mining the uranium is not the same thing as processing or enriching. It's just getting that stuff out of the ground. And the United States has some surprising blind spots when it comes to processing rare earth minerals nuclear materials. Right, they often are going to be functioning in concert with foreign owned consortiums. We've got like off few maybe deals with the mission critical need to process uranium. We also know that there is a hidden history to the United States regarding how best to access and control resources in this huge country. I mean, if you haven't been here, no offense. I hate when people say this, but if you haven't been here, if you haven't taken a road trip to the US, you don't get it. This place is spooky, huge, and it's arguably a haunted house. There's a lot of stuff here. And for the indigenous peoples who were living happily for thousands and thousands of years before the US became a thing, the presence of precious materials like fossil fuels or uranium has long been seen as the impetus toward evil actions on behalf of the government. We talked about this in our conversations with Leonard Peltier.
Speaker 2: We did, we did.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I ted talked there. I just feel like we have to establish that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great. I am thinking about what happens to this area. I just looked up McDermott, Nevada, uh and uh Malua County, Oregon and like where this is, so it's in. Yeah, we're sorry. I'm still on lithium. I'm like kind of focused in on this because the concept of this rather open area where there's not a lot of civilization going on out there. There aren't even many roads at all. So in order to set up the stuff that we're talking about, to get the lithium out to then go into the processing, to then you know, going into specific lands and all of these things, there's going to be so much development that has to occur before anything else can occur. And it's gonna change. Yeah, it's going to change everything, and it's going to impact everyone, and it's just it's that tough thing, right, you need the resources that you're talking about. But then it affects so many things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it affects biodiversity, which you know, some people care about more than others. But it also affects things like access to clean water, yes, which becomes very dangerous very quickly. And we see precedent for this both in uranium processing and indeed in lithium processing earlier in Nevada, Nevada, Nevada. You say Nevada if you're in Nevada.
Speaker 2: Now, I always say Nevada.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, We're just gonna say envy. Yeah, you guys know what it is, Vegas rules, baby. But yeah, this is this is a game changer, and it seems that the economic and security advantages on the table make it easy to say yes to conditions that would ordinarily be a deal breaker for pretty much any presidential administration. It's easy to dismiss folks you might not agree with and call them entirely villainous. But we have to understand the principal axiom of game theory and resource extraction is that everyone in involved, whether you like them or not, is a rational actor. So the best way to approach this, especially if anybody's got some political ideology or preconceptions in the conversation, we get it, We respect you. The best way to approach this is to consider the counter factual. What if this is not extracted? What if these resources are not exploited? What happens when you can't get your new phone?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 3: What happens when the jets don't fly?
Speaker 2: We get all we all get super cranky. Is what happened.
Speaker 4: Which is going to be funny because in a future Lister Bail conversation we're going to introduce something called the hungry judge effect. Oh yeah, it's a good it's a good teaser.
Speaker 3: Right. We we do need to I think, not to do too much Black Monday murder stuff, but we we do. You have an episode ahead maybe about the new wave of resource extraction.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It carved out the insidious boundaries of colonial North Africa and the Middle East. It carved out a great deal Southeast Asia and indeed Latin America. So this is a conspiracy, a nest of conspiracies, a rat king of conspiracies that continues in the modern day. And it's crazy how it's not more widely reported.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Before we get out of here, Ben, let's just touch on the other two that we found. I think it was two other specific mineral deposits that were located recently or that are in the news. The uranium one. The uranium one freaks me out a little bit because, as we all know, radioactive materials when they're in the earth pretty safe. Deep in the earth. We're not going to harm anybody. They've already kind of got their own thing going on. Water moves around in different ways, not a big deal. But as soon as you start drilling a bunch of uranium out of the earth, humans, then wildlife, we all got problems. We all got problems. Why do we need all that uranium?
Speaker 3: I'd like to quote a good friend of ours. They delved too greedily and too deep and disturbed that from which they fled, Duran Spade. So shout out to our buddy Gandolf. But there's truth in that parable, even though again it's Lord of the Rings. Is not about nuclear power. You're absolutely right, Matt, what a pickle, because is the worst possible outcome not having uranium? I mean, what happens to the people on the ground, right, Like the same question with indigenous people who had their rights promised and then betrayed all all for resource access by the way, like not like political ideology was the what was the cape and the cap that they put over resource extraction? I don't know, man, We also we have to talk about it, dude before we go. We promise we're going to end on one good or interesting thing we need your thoughts on. But before we get to that light at the end of the tunnel, man, have you looked up the Wiki travel or the CIA World Factbook entry for Somalia.
Speaker 2: I have a fact book. I need to go look it up. But I heard a thing, a little rumor that maybe somebody else found a bunch of something in Somalia.
Speaker 3: I like how we're setting it up like the beginning of a board game of clue.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, so okay, all right, yeah, man, give us the quick skinny.
Speaker 3: As we're heading now. Our friends at Turkey A have that they've always had, honestly a little bit of interest in Somalia, as have you know, the US, Russia, and to a lesser degree, China. But could you tell us a little bit about what Turkyer found as they started digging.
Speaker 2: Yep, they found twenty billion with a b billion barrels of crude oil there in Somalia. We have seen and discussed for about oil drilling and oil extraction in many parts of Africa and what that actually looks like, the human labor and the sites, and you know, the devastation to surrounding areas that occur. And again not not specifically in Somalia, but in many parts of Africa where a third party comes in, let's say, with a little less regard for the humanity and life that's there, and just pulls oil out of the ground as quickly and kind of as roughly as possible, it is pretty worrisome. It is also strange to think about what other powers might be thinking when they see twenty billion barrels of oil just sitting there in the ground that anybody could take if they were in control.
Speaker 3: Uh huh yeah, yeah, just make the deal with the right pirates and warlords. Right. And also what role does Somaliland play, which is yet to be is more stable and is yet to be acknowledged by the United Nations, arguably because it is more convenient to Western powers for chaos to rain. You know, this also happens on the heels of an earlier agreement in twenty twenty four. We're going to do some red string theory here. Turkey signed two major deals with Somalia. They have also been they have also been putting their hands in the cookie jar with the resource conflict in Rwanda and the DRC Democratic Republic of Congo. As a matter of fact, we just learned two weeks ago, but I think it I think it got publicly announced after that that Turkey wanted to meet mediate quote unquote between those two countries, and both of those countries said, heck no, you know, for whatever reasons they may have. But the the reason we're bringing up without getting to into the weeds here, the reason we're bringing this stuff up is because it's important to realize when we're talking about this level of resource, this threshold of economic potential, the news is announced far after those conversations begin, like way far after. Yep, maybe that's what we should do. What if the next headline is something like stuff they don't want you to know. The podcast discovers three trillion dollars worth of what's an obscure but valuable element.
Speaker 2: I don't know, vanadium, vanadium, that is one. I think it's obscure for sure, used in battery production, a bunch of other stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's what we're gonna do if this show doesn't work out, and while civilization is falling, we promised you we'll have more on this. I do think it's an episode. I think we're on board with that. We wanted to tell you one cool thing, one future thing as we end Tonight's Strange News program. We talked about it over low these many years, and we always talked about it kind of as a thought experiment. But Matt, great news, Dylan, great news, you playing along at home news. Some actual scientists have also started asking whether octopuses could create the next iteration of civilization. So now it's not just us now, it's like an actual biologist, Tim Coulson, PhD, University of Oxford. We don't know if he listens to the show, but he was thinking about this too. Well.
Speaker 2: I love it the idea that they can live in a range of different environments. They come in so many varieties. They live in deep ocean, they live in coastal shallows.
Speaker 3: They use tools. Yeah, oh, there's that really fascinating. Okay, So the big problem with this and longtime listeners. You know this. The big problem with the octopus replacing humans in a civilization, like in a post human world is going to go down to two primary things. The first thing is they have very short lifespans, quite attenuay, and that's partially due to a kill switch that occurs when they reproduce. There was very interesting research in the nineteen seventies that found you can extend the lifespan of an octopus with the following caveats. It has to be a female octopus, and you have to conduct essentially a kind of lobotomy, a kind of brain surgery. You have to remove the part of the organism that induces that kill switch. But if you do that, you can allow the octopus to live longer, apparently without too many terrible effects on this cognition. The second issue that has always bedeviled water born organisms is that chemistry, chemical discoveries, you know, all the hits like fire and acid and all that stuff. Fire in particular is a very difficult proposition for an underwater society to discover. All to say, I think it would be cool, But you know, those are the two big issues that our octopus friends need to figure out.
Speaker 2: They need to figure out how to work together too, right, that was a big deal. That's a big deal, pretty solitary and believe and cannibalize each other every once in a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But they also they have been found using tools and creating little octopus suburbs.
Speaker 2: That's pretty different parts.
Speaker 3: But again to your excellent point about the environment, surviving in an environment is not the same as thriving in an environment. I'm all for more octopus brain surgery, and I think I'm going to go ahead on record. I think everybody else should be on board with this too. I am making a greater good argument. I am aware of how dangerous those arguments become, and I'm kind of kidding, because you know there are are ethical boundaries against that kind of experimentation.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think we're gonna have to. I think we're talking about timescale stuff here, Ben. I think nuclear winter sets in I don't know, twenty thirty ish, something like that. Then you know, humanity slowly dwindles out, and then those octopuses they got millions and millions and millions of years to get where they need to get, build those underwater metropolises that then get discovered by some other species that has USO technology.
Speaker 3: There we go, There we go. There's so much more to get to. We are running at times. So before Dylan the Tennessee pal goes full volcanic white gold on us, we are going to call it an evening. We can't wait to hear from you. Please tune in later this week. We're following up in some of these conversations with your fellow conspiracy realist on our listener mail program in the meantime. If you'd like to be part of the show, if you happen to be an octopus listening to podcasts, we would love to hear from you. You can find us online on Instagram, YouTube, etc. All the social medis. People sip we are conspiracy Stuff, conspiracy Stuff show, or some derivation thereof. You can also give us a line at our good old fashioned email address or call us on the phone.
Speaker 2: Our phone number is one eight three three st d WYTK. When you call in, give yourself a cool nickname and let us know in the message if we can use your name and message on the air. If you'd like to send us an email, we are.
Speaker 3: The entities that read each piece of correspondence we receive be well aware, yet unafraid. Sometimes the void rights back conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.