Speaker 1: Keegan ach and grab one of my bats, my bats, and he forged my signature and put it in his locker.
Speaker 2: After that Live at Bats.
Speaker 3: Session, Here we go, Kyle Stowers joining us right now on FT. I could see that smile. You got a good care here today, Brazinski krats Trevor May with you, Kyle.
Speaker 4: How you doing?
Speaker 3: You having a fun year?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been been a good time.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're close against some more wins, so hopefully we start rolling off some of those and having some more fun.
Speaker 3: What's the identity of the team, Because there's guys like you who I've actually talked about for a few years now that I was like, hey, is he gonna get an opportunity in the bigs. I mean, he's crushing it in the minors. I know Norby was like that for a few years as well, among others. So do you feel like the Marlins have that kind of identity flowing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think kind of like the when we like is s fighting fish, you know, I feel like, you know, there's been a lot of times lay in games, even when we're down games a little out of hand and where we you know, will put up you know, three or four runs, you know, make make the leverage relievers get in. And I think it's just kind of like that mentality of the matter of the score, that we're going to keep fighting. You know, we got a bunch of guys who are you know, young and trying to establish and improve themselves in this game. And and you know, I don't think it's like every man for themselves type of thing. I think we're all trying to push each other together and start trying to bring winning baseball here in Miami.
Speaker 6: Kyle, before I asked the question, I need you to do me a favor when you walk back into the clubhouse and let tell Jonah Bride to get off his phone.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 6: Second question, have you ever in your career, in professional or even amateur, had you ever gone deep on a fastball over one hundred miles an hour before the Grand Slam the other night?
Speaker 2: I have never gotten.
Speaker 1: I don't think I put a ball in play on a pitch that was a true one hundred. So I when I look back at the video and I saw that it was one on one point seven, I was, yeah, it was definitely a first for me. It is pretty cool.
Speaker 7: What was what was the best part the celebration at the end, or celebrating it with your family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, you know, the best part is that we won. I mean we were kind of I think we're on like a five or six game losing skits. So you know, I've always truly felt that, like, you know, when the teams win, things are the most fun. You know, obviously you guys know like the energy in the clubhouse is just at its best when the team is winning. And so to me, you know, you just have everyone being that winning mindset after the game was was probably the best part. And then having some family there, my wife and her parents. It's just it's so special. You know, nearly get emotional every time like something like that happens when they're there, because you know, it truly takes a village. They play such a big role in my family. It's so supportive, you know, don't don't lack support from back home. So it's it's you know, just feel so very fortunate to do something that people are so invested in and care so much about.
Speaker 7: The Marlins do anything for you winning player of the week, Like do you get like a watch, do you get like something sick?
Speaker 2: Not not that I've seen quite yet. We'll see hopefully maybe maybe this will get him to do something.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's just you know, it's been a lot of love and support from the whole organization, which has been really cool. You know. Yeah, it's been a big blessing.
Speaker 4: Kyle.
Speaker 3: Take me back to when you were traded last year. I mean the Orioles involve you in the Trevor Rodgers deal. I mean, you get to go along with the guy that you knew i'm sure pretty well from your minor league time, and you probably look at an opportunity to be able to get consistent playing time because you know, Baltimore a good farm system and you know they would also sign players on top of that. So I'm sure it was maybe frustrating at times to not be able to get the everyday vis in the big leagues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like, you know, twofold.
Speaker 1: Like, on the one hand, I always felt like, you know, if I took care of myself and did what I was capable of.
Speaker 2: Doing, that you know I would end up all right.
Speaker 1: And obviously you know, and with that kind of happened in regards to the trade, but it was definitely also The other thing was when I was with the Orioles, like there's so many good players, you know, we had, you know, ahead of me was Santander, Cedric Hayes. You know, all three of those guys are just incredible players. And then you know, behind me, and then eventually who kind of kind of leap frogging me on the totem pol was a cowser and kurs dad and and also both of those guys are great players. All three of us were young outfielders, left handed hitting, and you know, although we were a little bit different players, we were you know all you know, capable in our own right. So you know, for me last year, when I was in Baltimore in May and June, I was playing some pretty good baseball coming off the bench, and I ended up getting optioned kind of just because we needed an extra infielder and I was kind of the collateral on that part of it. And I was playing really well, and that was for me when I was like, oh, maybe, you know, maybe my opportunity won't be here. So when I got traded, I was very excited for the opportunity, very happy that I got to come over with Connor, someone that's one of my really good friends, and I'm glad to be able to go through this experience with them.
Speaker 6: Uh, expand on the opportunity thing a little bit, because I think this is always an interesting conversation, especially when guys are traded and they see they go from you know, wondering if they're going to get playing time that day or even you know, being on the the option train to knowing that they're going to be in the lineup every day, which is seems seems to be what's what's happening in Miami? So how does your preparation change knowing that you're gonna you're going to be in the lineup, you know, after the game, you know you're gonna be in the lineup the next day. How did how does that different for when you were in the big leagues with the Orioles to now when you're with the Marrows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so many layers with the Orioles that I think you said it you hit on the head.
Speaker 2: Like I felt like I was just like, hey.
Speaker 1: Like, am I going to be here next week? Like, you know, trying to planned visits and stuff with family was really complicated obviously because it's like, hey, like you know, I don't know how long I'm gonna be here, you know, especially you kind of see the riding on the wall when you're not really playing a ton and you're still you know, regarded as a prospect in the organization and they want you to get at bats and whatnot. So coming over here it's you know, it's actually, you know, been a new challenge learning how to be an everyday major league player. I think I got that last year while I was here, like just kind of figuring out how to mentally be in a state that it's ready to play every single day at the big league level. You know, I've done at the minor league level, but definitely a new challenge and in the major leagues. And you know, for me, you know, it's just kind of about finding a way to get a clean slate mentally each day. Obviously, you know, physically you're gonna have good days and bad days, and some days your body's not gonna be feeling as good and whatnot. But for me, it's just how can I be fresh and clear mentally each game? And you know that I've spent a lot of time on my mental routine this year, and well that's you know, mindfulness, meditation, prayer, you know, write in a journal, you know, just coming up with different things that spend a lot of time in the cold tub before I get my day started, and so things like that just to kind of give me back to the present moment. And you know, you know, God promises that he'll give us enough for today, and so I just try to, you know, take it one day at a time.
Speaker 3: FT fan by now, you know, if you're buying, selling, trading collecting cards, Arena Club is the spot. We've been talking about them all season long. But I do want to focus on the slab pack experience Scrats, since you've been ripping some slab packs digitally and what happens.
Speaker 7: I mean, as a kid, you wanted to rip open the packs. How can they do this digitally? Oh baby, this is exciting. How the graphics come out and everything. And oh yeah, the card that you pull, you can actually get that John physically, so it's perfect. It's all in one place and it's a super exciting experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they send that to you from the vault if you want it. But if you look at it and you're like, it's not the car for me, I want to sell it.
Speaker 4: Back, go for it.
Speaker 3: You can do any of that on Arena Club, and you can acquire the best value for your money with those slab packs, transparent checklists, and Arena Club's slab Safe program. Right now, you can get twenty percent off your first slab pack or card purchase by going to Arena club dot com slash foul and use code foul. Arenaclub dot com slash foul, use code foul.
Speaker 7: I love to hear that you have that you have that effervescent, like happy smile always going on too. You're you just you look like you're enjoying yourself. Obviously you're hitting well, but you look like you're enjoying yourself. So it permeates your daily routine, permeates out of your out of your your face right now.
Speaker 5: But I gotta ask you. I gotta ask you.
Speaker 7: When I asked a bunch of Orioles guys, let me tell me something about Kyle Stowers, the only thing that they wanted to talk about was how you owned Friend of the Show in spring training, Grayson Rodriguez. They said, if there was a live at bat to be had on the backfield, you were going to hit a dinger. It was like death taxes and Kyle Stowers taking Grayson Rodriguez deep.
Speaker 5: Now he's on the.
Speaker 7: Show quite often, so we're gonna play this back to him. Is this true or is this not true? And how much do you own him?
Speaker 2: There's a little bit of truth to it. So Grayson is one of the.
Speaker 1: All time smack talkers that I've been around. And when I first was around him, he was type of guy when we'd go into a live at bat, he'd say, hope you guys brought enough bats, and.
Speaker 2: And so he'd be chirping. And one day we had an inner squad.
Speaker 1: And I got to a two oh count and I ended up pinning a homer off of him. And ever since then, the way he talked to me during these live at bat sessions completely changed, and definitely he had a lot more respect, I guess if you will, So now it's just funny.
Speaker 2: There's one other time where I.
Speaker 1: Got him in a live at bat, but he had punched me out twice right before that, so he's he's had his share of success off of me, but I've I've gotten him a couple of times.
Speaker 3: I am very much looking forward to you two facing each other in a big League match up Pupefully soon we'll get him back on the field and then we can see that. Do you guys have the Oriols by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we go to them right before the All Star break.
Speaker 1: One other funny story about the line at bads. Actually, the second time I hit a homer off, I'm Keegan Ake and grabbed one of my bats, my bats, and he forged my signature and put it in his locker after that live at bat session. A lot of a lot of fun antics over there with those guys. I always say, there's not not really a bad apple over there. You know, so many good people, and uh yeah, we go to them in then in July or right before the All Star break, and that's gonna be, you know, one of those really surreal moments because it's gonna be somewhat familiar because I've played that ballpark so much and then also have spent so many time and live at bats inder squads throughout the years, you know, like having you know, Rutch Calm pitches against me. I mean, I mean Maverick Hanley who was my college teammate at Stanford, and uh he's over there catching. So there's so much familiarity. It's gonna be one of those really unique and fun experiences.
Speaker 7: I want to ask you about the journaling and how you just like you write your thoughts down at the end of the day. I tried to do journaling for a little bit. My issue was I went back and I read my journaling and I was like, man, I was just I was, I was in a bad place. Do you ever go back and go do do you get inspiration from your own journaling?
Speaker 5: Do you never read it? How does that? How does that work for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I haven't looked back at it yet, but I think one day I will. We're going through some old stuff in my room a couple of years ago, me and my wife, and we found my brother's kindergarten one of his, like I guess journals if you will that you know, kindergarten or second grade or something. To read some of those stuff was so cool and obviously, you know, not not in kindergarten, and I can, you know, write complete sentences. But I think down the road there will be a time where I really appreciate looking back at that. For me now, it's just a way to avoid ruminating, you know, just trying to put my thoughts into complete sentences so that in my mind's not going in circles, and that way I can wind down and get some good rest before the next day.
Speaker 3: Hey, Kyle, I got one for you from a number standpoint. I know you know the Marlins are run by a former Raised guy of course front office wise and Peter Bendix. Do you feel that, like, do you feel any effects of you know, advanced analytics stuff like that? What kind of guy are you? Obviously, because I mean you're in your mid twenties. We've got a lot of data available. What do you look at? What do you care about? What is helpful for you from a team perspective? Or is that not really your game?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think you're taken both right, There's definitely room for both in my opinion from us part analytics wise, Like, I think a big one for me is chase percentage, Like can I can I mitigate that? Can I swing up you know, pitches in the zone and then you know, making sure that like you know, I'm swinging at those pitches with good bad speed and then putting h hint them heart so exit velocity for me, and I would say chase percentage are probably the two things that I would say are key for me in my game. You know, pretty cool story about Peter. Last year, I got off to an incredibly slow start, and I really the whole time here, I didn't quite play my best baseball in the second half last year, and it was just really cool to have, you know, Peter come out to me like, hey, you know, just want to let you know, like we believe in you and just to keep going and then we believe that this is going to turn around. And you know, last year there wasn't a ton of stretches where I turn around, but it was just you know, really I felt that type of support from the entirety of the staff and the front office. You know, I feel like I you know, from coaching staff, players, yeah, the front office. I just don't feel like I've ever had so much support around me. And I think it says a lot about what the more Marlins organization is becoming. And you know, and and yes, it's there's data driven, but you know, there's you know, I think we're well aware that there's the person behind the player, and and how can we you know, support the person. And I think they've done a great job of that.
Speaker 3: That's really cool. Last one, really quick. Did did you have that? Because is that common? Like in Baltimore? Did you talk to the front officer It's more like the minor league coaching development staff and then the coaches and the biggs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I had I had good relationships with the staff in Baltimore, really gonna, and I just was, I think, at probably a different level of priority at that time. And and then I understand it. You know, it's you know, I wasn't the everyday player there, and you know, I was kind of the four A guy going up and down, and so I wouldn't say that it wasn't that I didn't have support there, but that's not kind of what I'm trying to get at, is just you know, more that like it was just a different position that I was in there, and and and so I totally understood it.
Speaker 3: Well, you're looking good in the Marlins TiAl. Man, it's been fun to watch. Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 4: Hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I know you you got stuff to get to you so appreciate the time.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Great to have you on and we'll.
Speaker 1: Have you back all right, guys, Thank you so much. Appreciate it all.
Speaker 3: Right, Stephen match joining us right now in foul territory. Stephen, You've got a full crew here today, Prasidski, Kratz, Trevor May as well.
Speaker 4: Great to have you on. How you doing, I'm doing great, guys. How you doing good? Good?
Speaker 3: How's life with the Saint Louis Cardinals. I know, for me personally, I interviewed you a few times when you're with the Mets. What's it like to be with Saint Louis now.
Speaker 4: For a few years, It's been great. Saint Louis is a great town.
Speaker 8: You know, when you come as a visitor, you don't really get to enjoy what all Saint Louis has for you. But h man, it's a great place to be, a great place to live, very very nice place to play.
Speaker 7: Is it as nice as you thought it was gonna be when you signed? I mean the whole free agent process, everyone's like, ah, you know, I gotta bring, got to bring the wife, got to bring the family. Is there gonna be a nice, you know, spot for us to live and like get out in the parks and everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, well it was unique when I was a free agent.
Speaker 8: It was the whole lockout situation, So it was like this deadline time period whereas like, you know, we wanted to try to do that before the lockout was going on November first or whatever, or December first or whatever it was. So it was spurred the moment everything. You know, we didn't really have a ton of time to ponder anything. It was like, let's just let's just sign and get this out of the way so we know where we're going.
Speaker 6: Matsy, I want to ask you a little bit about pitching roles because it has been announced that you're going to be doing some more work out of the bullpen, but also staying stretched out to start, which is something that is, in my opinion, one of the hardest things to do as a pitcher and one of the hardest things do in baseball. So what is the what is the biggest difficulty about mentally getting ready to go do your job as a as a reliever, but also preparing to be stretched out if that call comes both at the same time.
Speaker 4: You have to you have to both do the do the.
Speaker 6: Work between the games as a starter, but be ready to pitch his reliever.
Speaker 4: What's star as part? Yeah, you know, it's just the routine in between is everything. You know, you like to stay on your.
Speaker 8: Workout routine, your conditioning routine, you know, throwing a bullpen. But you know, my first outing of the season really kind of helped me with all that because it was like I was building up in spring training as a starter. I got to six innings my last start, and then I had like ten days off, and I was kind of like, okay, what do I do with all this time? You know, starting pitchers, that's way too much time. So I threw four innings out of the bullpen, and everything was just as sharp as it was in spring training.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, all right, I don't need to panic.
Speaker 8: Here pretty much when right when I pitch next day, I'll get in there and do my workout, and you know, depending on how many days, like yesterday, I got hot in the ninth inning and it's been it was that would have been my fifth day since throwing.
Speaker 4: So I was like, all right, I'm just going to treat this as as my.
Speaker 8: Bullpen day and you know, nice easy, and if I was going to come in if we scored, if we scored another run, so I was like, if we score, I'll start to ramp up quicker.
Speaker 4: So it's just it's been.
Speaker 8: A little bit of a limbo, but I've been feel like I've been doing well with it.
Speaker 3: Ft fam, We're excited to introduce you to Rowback with the subtle dog logo and two stripes on the back of every product. Krats, what are you rocking for us?
Speaker 7: I'm rocking the polo, which never feel like a T shirt until now. Out on the course, I'm gonna stay cool and as much as I sweat, i won't be wet.
Speaker 3: Use the code foul on rowback dot com for a generous twenty percent off your first purchase. That's f o U L on r ho back dot com twenty percent off all shirts, hoodies, polos, and more with the code foul.
Speaker 7: Is this something because I've watched McGreevy do what he did out of the bullpen for you guys in that doubleheader like a young guy. Is this harder to do as a older established player or as a.
Speaker 5: Do that's in his first full season in the big leagues?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 8: My thought, My first thought is it's easier to do it at my age. But mcgreevy's making it look pretty easy and he's in his first year, it's like, Wow, this guy's just you know, coming in bases, loaded one out in the in the fourth and then finishes the game with giving up only one hit, no runs. I mean, but if I had to do this earlier in my career, I would have really struggled with it. Just just the confidence and you know, every in between, every start, you're trying to tweak something. Now there's just more of a trust in my ability and what I can go out there and do.
Speaker 7: All right, as you're going to be a free agent after this year, how many times do you get called into the office after starting or spot starting and being told, hey, I'm.
Speaker 5: Going to the bull You're going to the bullpen again?
Speaker 7: Like, there comes a point when your value as a player is your value, not necessarily the team's value. Do you ever envision or have you had the conversation of where you're like, all right, at some point here, like we got to be a bullpen guy, or we got to be a starter.
Speaker 5: I'm valuable as a starter because it's also your career.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you know, there's still lot of baseball left and it's it's gone really well so far with the role I'm in. But Ultimately, in my mind, I like starting. That's what I want to do. I feel like I'm in a place in my career and where my stuff's at now that can have success as a starter. So I think in my mind that's my goal to move forward, is to be a good starter in the major leagues. I still feel like I have I have some good years ahead of me, So that's what I like to be.
Speaker 6: Smart man, do it as long as you can. You don't want one of those failed starter T shirts. Those are not well. I mean they are kind of cool, but you don't want one. So recently Friday, actually there was an article came out talked about how the strike zone may have changed. Have you noticed a difference in the strikes own or has anyone on the team noticed any of the catcher's been like, I think it's a little tighter. Do you guys hear anything about this work came out?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 8: There, You know how it is in the season, everybody's always complained about the strike zone one way or the other, but I haven't noticed a ton about it. Honestly, you know, it makes me wonder if it's you know, the umpires in spring training have that ABS system so it was, you know, maybe getting them tuned up a little bit. I'm not sure, but we haven't had a ton of conversation about that.
Speaker 5: What else do dudes complain about? Does?
Speaker 7: I can list off different things, but what is twenty twenty five pitchers complaining about when they're sitting in the bullpen or they're shagging in the outfield for their nineteenth straight day in Saint Louis heat.
Speaker 8: Well, it's funny in the bullpen. It's it's a little bit different out there. It's been a fun camaraderie out there, but yeah, there's definitely some fun conversations hat, you know, especially when I come out of the bullpen and then go to the start and I'm down for you know, three days before, three days after. You know that those guys are grinding over there. So when that phone rings sometimes, you know, sometimes it's nice when McGreevy comes in and goes six innings out of the bullpen. So I would say that's the biggest thing is just.
Speaker 4: Guys are tired. We had a long run of games.
Speaker 8: Here, so it's gonna be we got an off day staring us in the face, So that'll be nice.
Speaker 3: Steven I wanted to ask you about, you know, your time with the Mets. Looking back at obviously the World Series run they had in twenty fifteen, you were a part of that. There were some really talented arms, of course, some of which are still pitching the bigs, like at de Gram, who I knew you were close with thor part of the mix back then. I asked this question to the Cubs guys because they had their run around that time period too. Do you look back and think about how crazy it is to see what kind of talent was there and where it is now and just how quickly that whole run went when there were so many talented arms in that rotation.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I do look back and guys bringing up a lot like you know Nolan had to face come into a series and faced Gram, Harvey and Cindergard or de Graam Wheeler, and you know, those guys are all pumping a hundred every time, and I'm just a soft toss at lefty coming in the back end of the rotation.
Speaker 4: But no, it really was crazy what we had going there. And it's funny.
Speaker 8: I was a Hellsley yesterday and he's like, how many times you've been to the playoffs because he felt like with that team. He's like, oh, I thought you went like every year when you were with the Mets, and uh, you know, it is crazy with what we have there. You know, we only got one wild card game and and that big playoff, that World Series run that we had, so yeah, that was pretty will id I do reflect on that a lot. You know, we had something special there. It's just unfortunately we couldn't capitalize on it.
Speaker 9: Steven, you brought up Arnatto. Nolan, what's the what's the feeling on him staying or going? Also Sonny? Sonny said he wants to stay too. His name has been mentioned. Did they talk about that in the clubhouse or is it just kind of like we're here now and we're sticking with what we what we got.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think Sonny doesn't talk about it too much. You know, he's really you know, dialed into what he's doing. But you know, obviously Nolan, it was a big talking point this whole off season coming into spring training. We're all kind of like, what's gonna happen, especially as a pitcher when you got that guy locking down the corner every day? Forget like, man, we don't we don't want this guy to go anywhere, But no, I think you know, obviously there is some conversation there. But now Nolan, he's he's locked into what he's doing. He's just trying to get out there and play good every day. You know, he's he's in the cage for four hours a day, and you know, I think he's he's ready to just go out and play every day. So that after spring training, those those conversations kind of subsided.
Speaker 7: Your family talk about the fact that you've gotten off to a hot start, the fact that the Cardinals are trading anything with value. Do you talk about that? And is it like every scoreless outing, you know, you start packing a few more things up even you know, you know it's your last year in Saint Louis, but it could be July. Who knows, it could even be June.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, it's definitely in the back of my mind, you know, at times.
Speaker 4: But we are playing really good baseball.
Speaker 8: Our hitters have had a great first month and a half here, you know, where We've won a couple of series. Now now I think we've only lost one series at home, So you never know what could happen.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of baseball left.
Speaker 8: But that is definitely you know, you know, you understand how the game works, and you know, a free agent year, if you're throwing well, teams are going to try to gobble you up if your team's out of the mix. But right now, there's still so much baseball to really put my mind there.
Speaker 9: Steven Stephen, You're from Long Island, right, Yes, yeah, me too. How come you don't have an accent you have like the South, You have like an accent from the South. So I appreciate that, you know, someone also from Long Island. I don't have the Long Island accent either, so I'm proud of you that you got rid of it.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, it is a little embarrassing at times. Well actually, that's the one word that comes out when I say embarrassing.
Speaker 4: So that's yeah, that was it.
Speaker 5: That was the first time. Yes, that was it.
Speaker 4: That's funny. Yeah, that's the one word I haven't dropped.
Speaker 8: But you know, Alabama, and I'm the type of person it's it's not for whatever, isn't when like when we're in London, I'll start having a London accent.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what is going on right now?
Speaker 8: So I guess you know. I've been out of Long Island since pretty much. I'm eighteen, and I guess I just too much of a chameleon.
Speaker 4: Not a great thing, but I've lost it a little bit. I did not realize you were from Long Islands, Stephen.
Speaker 3: This was great, dude. Thank you so much for stopping by.
Speaker 2: I hope you had a good time.
Speaker 1: Good luck the rest of the way.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys,