Speaker 1: Probably only fitting that the vote to potentially ban THEUSH push has been pushed back to May. No vote taken at the NFL annual meeting, but some compelling reasons given for why they could consider it again.
Speaker 2: Jerry Jones giving reasons you can.
Speaker 1: Debate how compelling for why the Michael Parson's contract is not done yet.
Speaker 2: Jerry says he's willing to pay more to get.
Speaker 1: More information, which sounds like Michael Parson's getting more money.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you where things stand.
Speaker 1: We also heard from Steeler's owner Art Rooney today, who says he's feeling the positive vibes about Aaron Rodgers becoming a Pittsburgh Steeler. No final word though yet, So where does it land?
Speaker 2: Aaron? Please give us an answer.
Speaker 1: Welcome inside with the Insiders alongside Mike Garriflo and Ian rappap I am Tom Peliicero. We got a jam packed show here in Palm Beach today. We got Ben Johnson, the new head coach of the Chicago Bears. He's on the show, Dan Quinn, the Commander's head coach on the show.
Speaker 2: Arthur Blank, Jed York. They've got some interesting.
Speaker 1: Quarterback questions for the franchises that they own, well.
Speaker 2: Here for them too.
Speaker 1: But let's start out by getting to some of the rules that were and we're not approved. On the final day of the NFL Annual Media the Modified Kickoff, the latest version of the dynamic kickoff, did pass as expected, though not with adjustments to the on side kick. Those could be considered later, but the key up shot of today's vote the touchbacks now will come out to the thirty five instead of the thirty, which people involved believe is going to lead to a lot more returns and they hope the same low injury rate.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty five, NFL.
Speaker 1: Also approved a change to the overtime rules, applying the playoff overtime rules in which both teams have the opportunity to possess the football to the regular season, standardizing that across all games.
Speaker 2: However, they also tweaked it.
Speaker 1: It's now a ten minute overtime, not the fifteen minute overtime that had been proposed. Could that mean that people who run four minute drills e It'll have all.
Speaker 2: The analysis on that Momentarily.
Speaker 1: We also had a bylaw proposal by the Lions that got tabled involving the possibility of reseting the playoff field if in fact the division winners do not have the best records in their conference table. Is fascinating because this was a proposal that's come up several times in the past, really hasn't had any momentum this time around. It sounds like the Competition Committe is going to bring something that also could be at a vote in may Or. The NFL media that packed the tenth all week here in Palm Beach will be packing it in Minneapolis as well, because the push push debate is headed for another round. Strong opinions voice on both sides by coaches at their media availabilities this week on the possibility of banning that play, here's what NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell had to say.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, I think we're not looking at this as the context of one team. We're looking at is a particular play that may have an increased potential for injuries. As I said before, one of the things we're looking back is the rule we had prior to two thousand and four that didn't allow a lot of that poll or push anywhere on the field, and some of those hits happen outside of a tush push, and that's one of the things we want the committee to go back and look at with our health and safety teamort to look at those incidents and should our role be broader than just a tush push. And that's something they're going to bring back to the membership in May.
Speaker 1: So Rich McKay, the Competition Committee chairman, said, or the reason they got rid of that no pushing, no pulling rule twenty one years ago was it was really hard for officials to officiate it when you got down the field. However, there appears to be a real appetite ian for something to change here and by reinstating that language and will all of them say this is not about the touch push, This.
Speaker 2: Is about the broader safety issues.
Speaker 4: Something the Competition Committee and the NFL ownership doesn't want to do is take something that one or two teams do, change the rule based only on that. Now, it seems at its face, if the toushbush has changed, that's what it would be. It's the Eagles, it's the Bills, not a ton of other teams running, not a ton of other teams have success. It would really be those two. But as you mentioned, Tim, if they are going to go back to the twenty fourteen language. They would basically be opening up, broadening the rule and saying no pushing, not on the toush push, but at all, no pulling. It would basically be going back to what they had before. The momentum of this one has been really fascinating. It started with the conversation of health and safety. There's not enough data. We know that they've discussed that plenty of times, but in the event of a catastrophic injury, they don't want to be reacted. They want to be proactive. Say this is a play that looks dangerous, so therefore potentially discuss banning it. And then the conversation kind of changed a little bit. Mike say, you know what, maybe this doesn't look like a football play. Maybe this looks more like a rugby play. We'll pick this back up in May. But just reading the tea leaves now, it does appear change on some level is coming to the toush push.
Speaker 5: The Eagles would disagree and tell you that there is plenty of data because this play has been run for four years now.
Speaker 2: The question to thank you right on.
Speaker 5: Time, the can you translated and pushing a toush that's very easy.
Speaker 2: That's a timp peach.
Speaker 5: It's a peach, guys, not your first day on social media, right, fair, this is fair. We're gonna leave it there, all right.
Speaker 2: So they'll say there's plenty of data. Matter of fact, Jeffrey.
Speaker 5: Lourie said that and said, we have voted in the past for rules changes in the name of help and safety. They don't feel like this is really the case when you say there's not enough data. When will there be enough data when there's an injury, Because this is more about a proactive health and safety approach. So Jeffrey LORII and the Eagles obviously disappointed. Howie Roseman says, we had the data set it in the meeting. We have the data and it shows that it's not a dangerous play. We've run it more than everybody. We've never had an injury. Now you've had some of this that jumping over the pile. Chris Jones got hurt in the Super Bowl because he was trying to defend it by going sideways while everybody else was going forward. It's going to be an interesting discussion in may. I do think making it all encompassing, though, is going to help get a lot more support when they rewrite it in that regard and drive.
Speaker 6: Pitch in that way.
Speaker 1: A small sample size here, I think it's what they're referring to with the lack of data. In other words, yes, we'd run hundreds of times in the past several years, but not tens of thousands of times like other plays.
Speaker 7: They generally move.
Speaker 1: In cavelly the key phrase there for Roger Goodell's injury mechanism. They're saying that there is the evidence that it could become a dangerous play.
Speaker 2: You also, when the Eagles.
Speaker 1: Decide to drop back, the pass can just turn loose the pass rush. Let the Cowboys tend to do with Michael Parsons, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, will make twenty four million dollars in twenty twenty five if he does not have a new deal in place, which remains the case because Jerry Jones, you'll be shocked to find out he's wanted to take a time.
Speaker 6: We are there.
Speaker 7: I don't view it as urgent at all.
Speaker 8: And you know, some say, well, using the basis that you get something done the cheaper, whether orly you get something done, A lot of times, the more mistakes you might, and you might want to see a few more cards playing, not just with that particular negotiation, but with the whole team.
Speaker 1: Time now for count on it presented by Toro Mike. We know we can count on. Jerry Jones wanted all those leaves to fall, more dominoes, more information. He is taking, as usual, a very deliberate approach two negotiations that also includes him talking directly to.
Speaker 5: The player involved, yes, and basically stating that he and Michael Parsons had an agreement on some of the overarching pieces of the deal and saying I don't even know his agent's name, basically suggesting he hasn't had negotiations with him. Well, it's two agents, David Mulligeta and Andre otom You've heard the name Mulligeda before. He represents a number of high profile clients. Deshaun Watson is one of them. I mentioned him because that's one of the great contracts from a player and an agent standpoint in recent memory. The fact that he got that fully guaranteed. And I know a lot of folks say, well, that's the wrong guy to really say that about, because David's a prideful guy in this case, and he's going to want to get the best deal possible.
Speaker 2: Well, now you added a little bit of fuel to that fire.
Speaker 5: I just know that Jerry Jones talking directly to clients is something that agents in the past have tried to stop from happening. Dak Prescott did it, but Deak Prescott's agents had faith that everything was going to be fine and they would still be allowed to do their job. But Jerry has done this in the past before, So this is add a little bit of drama. Michah Parsons tweeting that no, I trust David Willagetta to do the negotiation and he's gonna get me the best possible deal.
Speaker 2: It's never quiet down there. This is this is fun.
Speaker 4: It's never quiet. It's plenty of noise. Now, I don't know that this will actually affect negotiations. David will get is going to try to get the most money, the best deal for his client, no matter what, no doubt Michael Parson is going to be the highest paid non quarterback when he has done. But you know the fact that Jerry Jones said, I don't even know who his agent is. I don't even know the name. It's one of the most well known agents in the NFL. It was just an interesting tactic early on, especially since they haven't really dug in. What's fascinating to me is that Jerry Jones says he wants more information. Well, Michaeh. Parsons does too. Micah Parsons, to my understanding, would like to see some of the other edge rushers. Top edge rushers get paid. TJ. Watt, Aiden Hutchinson, Micah Parsons likely to come in last. Well, if Jerry Jones wants to wait and get more info, and if Micah Parsons wants to wait and get more info, then we're all going to wait and get more info until there's no more info to get right up against the start of the season, which Tom, this might seem familiar to you because the last two massive deals the Cowboys did were right up against it, including Dak Prescott Steel right before kickoff. I don't know if it's going to be that dramatic for Micah Parsons, but we are a ways away for this guy.
Speaker 1: Stee Lamb was a long holdout last year, Zach Martin was a long holdout the year before, and Jerry said.
Speaker 2: While he's confident in this deal, he also said.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you that it's gonna be done before the started training camp, So tune in Knox Snart perhaps in late July. Also waiting for more information the Steelers because Aaron Rodgers on April first is still not made a firm and final decision or is not communicated at least to these Steelers about whether or not he's going to play in Pittsburgh. You see him throwing earlier this week. According to the fantastic photo stylings of Alex Amen right here, that's pretty much came that calf one.
Speaker 2: Of his potential. Didn't they lease this off of his it's back now, it's.
Speaker 1: But first before that, Art Rooney saw it apparently and said, it seems like everything is headed in a right directtion. He's pretty confident here, feels positive about the way things are going here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and for our ruining to say what we have been talking about and thinking it was, there was a lot of positivity and optimism in the air. Yes, it does seem seem like Aaron Rodgers will eventually land with the Steelers. That seems like the direction that's going. The fact that he had a really positive throwing session with DK metcalf is good. The fact that we were able to see the video to see for ourselves is also good. This all seems like it is headed toward Aaron Rodgers being the starting quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers eventually.
Speaker 2: However, Mike, we do not know what.
Speaker 4: Is in Aaron rodgers head until he comes out and says it in whatever form he says it, till he lets the Steelers know yes, I am coming, Yes, I will accept your offer. That sounds to me it's basically worked out. We will be in this sort of limbo. But this is as positive a sign as we have seen that this will all happen.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: The Steelers are doing what few teams did and few teams have done really in the recent years.
Speaker 2: Which is put pressure. It's a little bit of pressure. You think it's pressure, I think it is. I think it is.
Speaker 5: Art Rudy today saying this has taken longer than he expected, willing to wait, but not much longer. Right, Usually with Aaron Rodgers, like nobody wants to spoo him, nobody wants to scare him.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of a walk on eggshell.
Speaker 5: So the Steelers today, I think we're sending a message as suddenly as they could, saying like, let's go man, we're getting close to the draft here.
Speaker 2: We got to know what's going on here.
Speaker 5: We're getting close offseason workouts as well.
Speaker 2: So Rogers has gone through the process, visiting the team, working with DK Metcalf. I don't know what more could be left for him to explore.
Speaker 5: We talked about the financials, Tom you did saying that that was pretty much set and stone.
Speaker 2: There's really nothing left. His agent was here.
Speaker 4: We ran into him last night at the restaurant.
Speaker 2: Restaurant huh bar, but you know that has a we're different. We ran into but the bar. We don track. Parameters have been discussed. It's been that was settled a month ago.
Speaker 1: It'll be a one year contract whenever it gets done, following Aaron Rodgers to have.
Speaker 2: Control over his future.
Speaker 1: The one thing that remains here is Aaron Rodgers telling the Steelers I'm really comming and I'm really doing it. And until that happens, we continue to talk about it every night right here, bring on this very show. We did have a deal get done earlier on today with another high profile player who's been around for a very, very long time. As Ian reported, Kaleis Campbell, thirty eight years old, is headed back to the Cardinals. One year, five point five million dollar deal can earn up to seven point five million dollars with the incentives. So, Kalais Campbell name all those former teams Ian.
Speaker 4: Cardinals, Jaguars, Ravens, Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Is that it? Noo? Keep going? Is that it?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: I think that's what goes bron No. No, you almost signed with the broadcos Pree.
Speaker 4: Agency when he was going from Arizona to the Jaguar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Get more of the NFL with NFL Plus, followed the journey of future NFL stars, and stay connected throughout the off season with coverage of the NFL Draft and more, all in one place.
Speaker 2: Subscribe today at plus dot nfl dot com. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 1: Kirk Cousins would have liked to know some of those terms and conditions on the contract, including drafting.
Speaker 2: His replacement, like six weeks after he signed it.
Speaker 1: He got bench last season in favor of rookie Michael Pennix, who now heads into.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty five as the starter.
Speaker 1: The Falcons at this point, though, have not moved on from Cousins, but could they do that sometime in the coming weeks.
Speaker 2: Are Steve Woitz caught up with their owner Arthur Blank.
Speaker 6: All right, mister Blank.
Speaker 9: Of course when it comes to your team, the topic is your backup quarterback. Kirk Cousins and I know you and he spoke about that conversation. What was conveyed in that conversation that relates to his future with the Falcons.
Speaker 10: Well, we spoke for about an hour. He asked to chat with man. I said, of course, and I told Kirk started the conversation. I said, look, I'm here to really listen. I took five pages of notes, literally five pages of notes. I think, you know, made some comments back to them, shared some thoughts that I had from a franchise standpoint. It It could not have been a more cordial and more respectful conversation. And I heard everything he said. I understand everything he said, and he also understood where we.
Speaker 6: Were as a team and as a franchise.
Speaker 10: So but I think it created, you know, clarity about what he hoped for and what his view of his views were and what happened and why it happened, et cetera. And uh so I think we're you know, I mean, we're in a good, good place and and uh we he ends up being up back of the quarterback. We are the best in the National Football League, which is always a good thing.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 10: If we end up making a different decision, uh, we'll move on. Uh, but you know we're I mean, he's I just wanna reinforce this.
Speaker 6: He's been. He's been.
Speaker 10: You know, he could not be more of a gentleman. I mean, sh thirteenth, fourteenth year going into the n NFL was coming year six and six with uh, you know, with the Commanders, and then with uh with Vikings and one year with us. But I mean he's got, you know, a great heart, a great spirit, he bleeds the NFL. He's great with teammates, great with fans, very spiritual guy, a great family guy. And so I mean, I mean we'll both end up doing the right things for the right reasons.
Speaker 6: It will be fine.
Speaker 9: Any point in that conversation did he express that he did not want to be with the Falcons.
Speaker 10: Well, I think he made it clear that, you know, in his best interests would be to have an opportunity to you know, test free agency.
Speaker 6: And I understood why.
Speaker 10: He also understands that we've we have a contract and we've paid him a great deal of money. He understands that because he's really smart and economically in football. Why certainly, so we understood our you know, our position as well. So it was I mean it was a very very cordial, good listening conversation. I did most of the listening, uh, he did some. Uh, and we ended up you know, being in a good place, I think, and we'll see great.
Speaker 9: So let's get to your young quarterback, Michael Pennix. You know, not too far from this time ago last year when you guys drafted and people like what are the Falcons do? And they designed Kirk Cousins. But now just you know, in hindsight kind of just how good of a decision that turned out being what about now him going into the season as your starter and your expectations of him.
Speaker 10: Well, we were, you know, we were in a situation last year and we had, you know, being really clear amongst the football folks and myself that we definitely didn't want to go into another ABYSS without franchise quarterback. We definitely felt Kirk could play for at least two years, maybe longer at a very high level, and no reason to think that would not be the case, That every reason to think that would be the case. But you know, we said, sometime in the next couple of years, this year, next year, this is last year, we need to draft the quarterback who we know we can transition to. And other teams have done asfully in the NFL, like the Packers is a good example, and we want to make sure we did. I'm a big believer in succession planning, both in business and in terms of football football football business. So I think our operations folks are personnel folks. Our coaching staff when they you know, went to old quarterbacks last year, they picked this guy out as having an incredible talent. I mean they loved the first two guys that would pick last year. We loved them too, Williams and Daniels, both extraordinarily talented players.
Speaker 6: But we had Pinics.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: It's not that we didn't have Drake May up there too, but we had Pinics, you know, as a armed talent, somebody very very high. And I think when he became, you know, became available, we didn't think he was gonna be available at eight. I think the franchise made a decision, let's let's you know, draft that.
Speaker 6: Quarterback and you know, and have him in the room. We'll learn from a.
Speaker 10: Great veteran over the next couple of years, and we'll transition to him that the you know, at the right time.
Speaker 6: Whatever that might be.
Speaker 10: Turned out to be much quicker than you know, any of us anticipated. But during the three game stretch, Michael performed well and so we have high helps for him.
Speaker 2: Right now, let's change gears a little bit.
Speaker 9: Yeah, okay, you're part owner of the td L Golf Club in Atlanta to borrow Golf League guys just won, right the initial championship, right, I know golf is a huge passion of yours. What about though, being a top of the league to start this thing off.
Speaker 10: Well, just to clarify, I'm not the part owner.
Speaker 6: I am the owner.
Speaker 10: So yeah, you have information so that we have a few of the you know, limited partners, which are great and their involvement is really appreciated.
Speaker 6: I'm a huge.
Speaker 10: Believer in tg L. You know, the idea was really started by Tiger and Rory McElroy and UH and Michae McCauley, who was a CEO came out Golf.
Speaker 6: Channel and NBC ET cetera.
Speaker 10: And because I think it brings a wider diversity, younger, younger audience into the game of golf sooner and attracts a different demographic than we currently have that'll be watching the Villero Open this week and then the Masters next week, et cetera. And it's done in a way and a simulated golf format inside of a building as about as big as a football field, with getting to know the players better. They're all miked up, so you hear the interaction between the teams and then between teams to teams you hear those interactions as well. I think it gives the players a chance to express themselves their personality much more fully. Resow a lot of that with rtgl landa Drive players this year, Build a Horselow.
Speaker 6: Patrick can't Ley, Justin Thomas.
Speaker 10: Lucas glover All did a fabulous job playing, but also did a defabulous job relating to the crowd that was in the building about fifteen hundred and to the roughly seven hundred eight hundred thousand that view this sport. Untie on ESPN, who was a great partner for us.
Speaker 1: Some big changes at the NFL Annual Media, including another the dynamic kickoff, got any complaints about it, don't lodge with Mike. He can't fix it. We'll talk about some of these rule changes next on the Insiders.
Speaker 11: Out thinking about.
Speaker 1: A lot of discussion, but no vote on the banning of the tush push, which now a debate that's been push back to the next league meeting, which is in mid May in Minneapolis. Coaches a voice strong opinions on both sides of the debate. Roder Goodell referred in part to injury risk, specifically injury mechanisms that exists, even though there's no data the show injuries are occurring on the play. More discussion to come ahead. The NFL owners did vote in favor of another modification to the dynamic kickoff rule. The touchbacks now will come out to the thirty five instead of the thirty yard line, disincentivizing teams from kicking the ball through the zone. The optimism is that that will lead to more returns while continuing to keep the injury low thanks to the reduced space and speed on that play. NFL owners also voted to approve a playoff overtime then now will also apply to regular season overtime. Both teams having the opportunity to possess the ball. However, there's also a modification. Instead of a fifteen minute overtime, it will be a ten minute overtime, which does raise the specter of somebody just trying to eat the entire ten minute clock. Rich Packay was asked specifically about that scenario and said, if one team holds the ball all ten minutes, sorry that opportunity to possess it involved you playing a little bit of defense. Another proposal that was push involving the reseting of the playoff teams. This one proposed by the Lions solely by record and not giving the division winners all a home game was interesting. This was tabled not rejected, because it's come up many times in the past, and according to Roger Goodell, there was a really interesting conversation.
Speaker 3: There was some great data to show that we should really look at some form of this or some version of this, But there was also a really strong point of view that winning the division was the number one thing, that when you come into training camp, that's the goal. Win that division first, and should the reward for winning that division be you're in the playoffs and a home game. There was some discussion potentially about you know, if you were five hundred or less and you won that division, should you also get the home game. I think there was some interest in that also, but I think the reality is it was very healthy. I think there'll be more discussion of it as we look at our season structure. There will probably be a lot of discussion in that context also as we do that. But I do think, you know, it's that constant work to be more competitive and to find new ways to create interest in the game. So I was really pleased with the discussion this morning.
Speaker 1: There are some division purists, as Mike Tomlin described himself yesterday, and who think based upon especially all the schedule is set up now, which is heavily weighted toward not just division games, but teams within a division all playing the same teams throughout the course of the season. Here tre Rodrignello proposed some potential alternatives to that, including the teams below five hundred. It's obviously they're at least thinking through this debate that could now go to a vote in May.
Speaker 4: I would say, of all the developments, say, this is probably the most surprising saw this on the docket.
Speaker 2: I know we've discussed this.
Speaker 4: I know NFL owners have discussed it a couple of different times. It has never advanced to the point of, well, actually maybe it might pass. That's kind of where we are. They're going to table it, They're going to go over everything and rediscuss it. In May, when you're hosting a big party before the league meetings in Minneapolis, and the fact that you are in exists, you are, and the fact that the NFL owners are now considering this, to me is noworthy Mike, and you try to read the tea leaves on these things. You try to figure out where it's headed. Raise the possibility that maybe a division win under five hundred somehow doesn't get to host and if there's any justification to basically changing the seat, and that would be it as a team essentially won the division but doesn't earn it. But it really opens the door to the kind of seating or reseeding, or maybe you get through the wild card round and then you reseed after the kind of things that the NFL has never had and never embraced. But you know, if there is an eighteen game season, this is all going to be a topic for discussion.
Speaker 5: Again, Well, some five hundred teams that have hosted games in the playoffs. It could come up with a couple of the Seahawks. The Beast Quake game was against an eleven win Saints team. They wound up winning that in large part because of the home field advantage. The Panthers were seven eight one year they beat the Cardinals at home in the playoffs, and it's like, does that valid date that they should have had the home game or does that say, oh, well, they didn't really deserve it.
Speaker 2: And they got that advantage so that helped them win. They it must be with Roger Goodell means.
Speaker 5: This is the kind of stuff that they were talking about, and it might be weird that a nine to eight team would host, but yet an eight to nine team wouldn't. But the fact that this is still, as Tom mentioned, tabled and not rejected means that there's more support maybe than we've had in the past for this one. So it's going to be an interesting discussion come May, and it may not be for the twenty twenty five season. It may not be voted on, It may it may be just something that it just continues to be pushed forward and talked about and further honed, so they get to the point where everybody's comfortable.
Speaker 1: Whatever enough getting to an eighteen game schedule. Two, is that dog keeps parking over there? Don't we love an underdog? That's why they can get to those teams that's a regular dog. But yes, you're also talking about potentially needing to rethink the entire scheduling process here in terms of if you're going to go to a divisionless seeding format, do you also then strip out some of the way to division stuff, because right now almost all your games are based on it's the same teams that you play that the rest of your division plays, orts games within your division. There's a lot of different tentacles to this, but again, the fact that it's still alive suggests that maybe there are some people here who are in favor of thinking of something that doesn't have a fourteen win team going on the road for a playoff game.
Speaker 2: Like last year.
Speaker 1: There are also some interesting developments too from Roger Gell today involving some thoughts on flag football.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I've heard directly from a lot of players who want to participate and represent their country, whether it's the United States or a country that they came from to have them participate in that, and I think that's something that we'll continue the discussions with, not just the union but also the clubs. I think both of those are things that will probably resolve sometime in the next sixty days. But I do think the Olympics is a critical moment for us in the flag development on a global basis. Listen, the Olympics are the pinnacle of international sport, and for us to be able to participate in that, to have both men and women's flag teams participating from around the world is a significant moment for us. So there is a lot of lead up to that in the qualifications and how that happens. So that is clearly inspiring some of the work, but I think what you're seeing on the state level is really unrelated to that. It's just a demand.
Speaker 1: The twenty twenty five NFL Draft, presented by bud Light, is just twenty three days away. All kicks off Thursday, April twenty fourth, at eight pm Eastern at lambeau Field in Green Bay. Catch every draft pick right here on NFL Network and streaming on NFL Plus. Big draft for the Bears, who already had a pretty big off season in the works, first the hiring the Ben Johnson, then signing three fifths of a starting offensive line, adding a couple of big guys up front as well. Big piece of this, though, is going to be their new head coach who joined me earlier today, Ben, the first time as a head coach down here at the NFL Annual Meeting.
Speaker 7: What do you think of all this, man, I tell you what I think. It was the first day.
Speaker 11: That I was sitting in in one of those meetings, and it was a little bit surreal just seeing all the head coaches and the gms all in the same room. Very grateful for it, Grateful for the McCaskey family providing the resources for us to come down. And it's been a great week so far since.
Speaker 2: We talked at the combine.
Speaker 1: You added a whole lot of beef to your offensive line, two trades, a big free agency and just tell me about the philosophy of why you attacked the interior.
Speaker 2: The way you did well.
Speaker 11: The game's still won in the trench, as simple as that, and so we feel really good about the guys that we brought in. Gives us the flexibility to run the ball, pass protection needed to get a little bit better than what it was last year in Chicago, and so I feel strongly that we were able to augment that part of the game for us, and I think we'll see a better version of Caleb this year because of that.
Speaker 1: When you have perhaps hopefully less inside pressure. How much does that impact the way that Caleb is able to play in the park.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, certainly this day and age, you almost feel like those three techniques, the interior rush can have as much, if not more impact on a quarterback, particularly a young quarterback who's trying to see down the field then the edge guys, and so what we're trying to do is we're trying to keep that depth of the pocket sound for him so that he's able to get through his progression and extend the play if needed.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there are a lot of analytics people who are excited to hear you talking about expected points added per play in there. How do you look at that and how does it apply to the way that you scheme on a week to week basis.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So I first got into that last year and we were just looking for ways to simply raise that number for us, and so it was how do we how do we get a higher completion percentage. I think he saw with Jared he had probably a career high in terms of completion percentage and also augmenting the run after catch with our pass catchers as well. So it's something we talked about as something we drilled, and I want to say that we were pretty good a year ago in that department in Detroit, and so something i'd love to carry over here to Chicago.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've seen that social media meme of you your introductory press conversations, like a month later, it's like bad lighting. Oh man, Ben, It's like this job is really taking a toll lot him already. You seem energetic. How are you feeling right now?
Speaker 7: I feel great.
Speaker 2: I feel great.
Speaker 7: It's just I don't sleep very much, but so goes life.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you're gonna get the guys in the building for the first time in about a week here. What's going to be your message to them day one about what this version of the Bears is all about?
Speaker 7: Yeah, listen, it's a completely different year.
Speaker 11: So I know last year didn't go the way that a lot of them wanted it to go. But we're going to start fresh. We're going to keep the standard very high for him. We're going to set that bar high. We're we're gonna push toward it each and every day. Have fun, Ben, Thanks, thank you Here.
Speaker 5: With Niner's owner Jed York.
Speaker 2: Happy April Fol's Day.
Speaker 12: But thanks man, you're looking really handsome today.
Speaker 5: Okay, I got Yeah, see I got the joke right there. Your off season, you've had to make some tough decisions because you're at the point now where you know that there's a quarterback extension.
Speaker 2: Coming for Brock Party. How did you approach this offseason?
Speaker 5: Did you kind of expect that it would kind of go the way that.
Speaker 2: It has so far?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean we knew that we had to make sacrifices around the roster to make sure that you can pay quarterback.
Speaker 7: Right Like, it's just math.
Speaker 12: And I've been in situations where you have great roster and the quarterback isn't set and it's hard to have sustained success. We want to make sure that Brock is a long term partner. We want to make sure that he's a part of our team for a long time. And it's a decision. I don't know exactly when we made it. But it was somewhere in the middle of the season, knowing that you can start negotiating at the end of the third year and it's like, all right, he's our guy, and if he's our guy, you have to know that and make those decisions. And that's where we are right now.
Speaker 5: So it was in the middle of last season where you guys as a front office and an organization said, this is our guy, We're committing to him.
Speaker 7: What did you see at that point that led.
Speaker 6: You to have that conversation.
Speaker 12: I mean everything that he's done so far, right, Like, he's been great on the field, he's been great off the field. And it wasn't like just sit down in whatever it was November or I can't remember when our buy was. But that's genuinely when you we'll have those types of conversations but you're not getting deep into free agency. But it's like, look, is anybody opposed to doing Brock And it's like, no, like you have to. I mean last year, I think he was like the thirtieth highest paid college quarterback, right, So when guys with nil are making more than a third year NFL pro, like, there's something wrong with the system with not being able to extend guys earlier in the NFL, right, we change that in the CBA. I think it was a twenty eleven CBA, and we were a team that did it with Frank or Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, several others in a generation past forty nine ers, And we always want to extend our guys early that you know are going to be a part of it. I wish we could have done something earlier with Brock. That's just not how the rules work.
Speaker 5: I know you guys don't want to negotiate through the media, but you've made it clear that you expect something to get done. How productive have the conversations been to this.
Speaker 7: Point, And I think they've been good.
Speaker 12: Like it's not conversations that I'm having right, Like I've seen Brock a few times at the facility, like everything is great, everything is cordial, and again like he's got to make a decision of what he wants to do. Like, well, I don't think we're that far apart. I think we can sit down and get something done. But whenever he's ready, we're ready.
Speaker 5: And if it's something that we last through the off season, because sometimes these things drag out a little bit. You're confident that he'll be able to do what he needs to do this offseason without the D.
Speaker 12: I mean, I don't think anything is going to face Brock and that's what you love about him. And when he's ready to do something, when he's ready to be a long term partner with the Niners, then we're ready to have him.
Speaker 5: Last one for you, Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch. You've professed your confidence in both of them as head coach and general manager.
Speaker 2: How do you assess.
Speaker 5: Where they are right now and what they're able to do with this roster to get you back to being a Super Bowl contender.
Speaker 12: Okay, I mean there's no one I would rather work with the Kyle and John. They're the best in the league of what they do. I love working with him. I love going to work with them. And when you have challenging circumstances like we have this offseason or anything else, there's no one that you won the trenches with you more than those two guys.
Speaker 7: Appreciate Jed, Thanks man.
Speaker 1: The NFL Draft presented by Bud Light is coming to Green Bay and it's your chance to witness the future the game for free experience. The history of Lambeoufield, see the Vince Lombardi Trophy and Super Bowl rings, and meet nnevel players and legends. The NFL Draft starts April twenty fourth in Green Bay. Register for free entry at nfl dot com slash Draft Access today. Push push Man is tabled for now, but Dan Quinn talked about it with our guys Steve Weitsch.
Speaker 9: What are your thoughts on kind of where this should go?
Speaker 13: Yeah, My thoughts are like, I have to spend time how do we stop this? And it's as a coach, it's good because it pushes you into new spots and how do you look at things differently? And so whether that was our time in Dallas, you know, kind of when we're competing against Philadelphia now here. As a commander, so I spend way more time thinking about how to stop it, what unique things can you do?
Speaker 7: And so that's where you know, I land on that.
Speaker 9: Well, we did see the Frankie Louvu, the Louvu leap, we'll call.
Speaker 6: That right there.
Speaker 9: I mean, was that him being instinctive or was that something you guys kind of strategically planned.
Speaker 13: We plan that, okay, And Frankie's got unique skill set too, and so it takes timing to go over the top. And we knew at that part of the field it's worth you know, a penalty that may move you know less than yes, and so you go take your shot to take your timing. It wasn't something you know that we would have done, you know, backed up where you would concede a first down, but in that space like you want to go for it and scratch and fight and claw for like any moment to go make your stops. And it's also what Frankie's about, and so he's the ideal person you know, to implement into that technique.
Speaker 2: Let's let's kind of move forward a little bit.
Speaker 9: You guys make the trade for Laramie Tunsel to get him at left tackle when that presented itself, Yeah, how did you all factor how he would help your offense and how he would figure in it what Cliff likes to do.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it was it was such an easy uh yes when Adam you know, approached me on it. Competing against Laramie for years, he's been one of the most difficult guys to rush against. He's got such patience and length that he's hard to you know, to work and get an edge on So to add that type of person at a cornerstone position, that's a really big deal for us.
Speaker 9: Think about that type of person, Deebo Samuel Right, we know how much of a.
Speaker 2: Threat he is.
Speaker 9: When you add a chess piece like him to this offense, how much do you think that alleviates some of the stuff on Jaden and puts pressure on opposing defenses?
Speaker 13: Say, as much as anything. I absolutely love that we're adding a dog ass competitor to our group, competing against him, tackling plans, alignments, you know, screen game, downfield shots.
Speaker 7: This is a real competitor.
Speaker 13: And so to be able to ligne him into different locations and feature him into that way with the crew that we already have, it's a big deal.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 9: Now, let's get to Jaden right year one, right, came in, did his thing.
Speaker 2: Year two.
Speaker 9: Everyone's just like, hey, there's film on him, there's this and that. We talk about two pieces you added to help him. But what have you seen maybe in his notorious grind as he prepares for the second season.
Speaker 13: I think that's the thing that people don't see, the unseen work. When I say that he puts it in like he really is committed to being excellent, and that's in every phase and all that he does. I've said before he had the right blend of confidence and humility. I think it's also those same two traits that allow him to continue to find the next spot and the next thing that he wants to get better at, and I have no doubt that.
Speaker 6: He will great appreciate it. You que Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: Have I mentioned the discussion about banning the tush push has been brotherly shoved back to the next league meeting. I'm wanna milk that one more time. We'll talk about these rule changes and have some fun with spelling. Stick around and see Insiders. Coming up next. Right after the Insiders is Mock Draft Live. Our experts deliver their latest draft projections. Find out where the next wave of NFL stars will land, or at least where they say they might land. Yeah, because it's a mock draft, Mock Draft Live, don't miss it.
Speaker 2: That's next. We're down here at the NFL annual meeting, where there was a.
Speaker 1: Lot of discussion but no vote on banning the tush push. That proposal by the packers has been tabled until May. Interesting comments both by coaches as well as Commissioner Roger Goodell about different variations, including perhaps reinstituting the language that was removed a couple decades ago.
Speaker 2: About any pushing or pulling. We'll pick that up in Minneapolis.
Speaker 1: In mid May, owners did approve further changes to the dynamic kickoff rule, the most notable of which we'll have touchbacks coming out to the thirty five yard line instead of the thirty, a change that everyone involved anticipates is going to lead to a lot more returns, they hope, with the same reduced injury rate. Also approved was a proposal to apply the playoff overtime rules to the regular season, in which both teams would be guaranteed a chance to possess the football, unless, of course, since.
Speaker 2: It was modified from fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: To ten minutes, one team holds it for the entirety that ten minutes and scores, in which case you lose.
Speaker 2: Two bad day, sir, Welcome back to the insiders. Tom Pilla, Sero and Rappaport. Mike Garao.
Speaker 1: It's been a long day, and apparently in tonight that's said really uh down quickly here.
Speaker 2: It's almost like it was an hour in Palm Beach.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: We covered a lot of ground, obviously, rules changes, availabilities, talking to all the coaches throughout the course of the day, but really our day began with a little slice of humble pie.
Speaker 2: Spell rapoport r A P p A p.
Speaker 7: O r t it's a complete disaster, not even close la r r A f O l O. That is close, but also in hellasero p e l.
Speaker 2: I s A r o.
Speaker 7: It's completely run.
Speaker 1: I and I did not get an answer when after we watched that entire thing live and I said to you, spell iSER Rochelle.
Speaker 2: He didn't attend to there you want right now. Here's what I don't understand. You had like ten hours I google it.
Speaker 1: He's all over TikTok here Isaac.
Speaker 4: Rochell Here's what I don't understand. My name is not very complicated, okay. And people say, oh, I know how to spell it. There's two p's and there are two p's, but what they mean is three piece.
Speaker 2: The wrong way that Jamie spelled it.
Speaker 4: They think it's r A P p A that's wrong. And for Jamie to know me for a long time, I see me on twin and many other places.
Speaker 2: He did not even know how to spell. My name is ridiculous? Is it not ridiculous? E r d a h L b r A.
Speaker 5: N d T s c h r O window Oh sorry, ESPN. I was gonna do Schrigger. Yeah, no, we get it, we get it. Yeah, well we get it. Your name is hard, but what's your name too? And they not follow us.
Speaker 1: I had a great hope there for I S A A c R O c e h e l L. He got through the first five letters and then it was just all downhill from there.
Speaker 4: So I was gonna be much more insulting if I had tried to spell it, so I kept my mouth.
Speaker 1: Should tag anybody directed to April fools, gag at him.
Speaker 2: That's your group, the four people you just saw, not the three of us. We got to even say un locked insiders. Back to borrow, stir upper back there fly see it