Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of They're Eating the Trends. That one courtesy of Hamburger Time on the Discord. Thank you for that and always to happy, always happy to hear that it is Hamburger Time. My name is Jack and I'm thrilled to be joined in today's trending episode by a very special guest, Andrew T. Joy Trump Here to trend and we're here to trend. Andrew, so much going on today. First of all, it's nine to eleven. Happy nine to eleven to you, Thank you to you. I'm with your spirit. I do miss Joe Biden. Like yesterday before the debate, he was like, I'm feeling great tomorrow, I'm doing nine to eleven, and then tonight we got the debate.
Speaker 2: Uh, and I was just like, oh man, that would have been that.
Speaker 1: All we were talking about is that he was heading into the debate being like.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, I'm doing nine to eleven and be like, oh fuck. But it's good.
Speaker 1: Good to have him back in the in the media, and even better to not have him being the person who I was worried about in last night's debate. You know.
Speaker 2: Yes, So.
Speaker 1: The debate happened you watched every second twice you said, yeah.
Speaker 3: I watched it. I watched it via Twitter impressions and my friends texting me like holy shit, and.
Speaker 1: I was at dinner, right, yeah, I had to rewatch it on DVR. And while people's takes like we were already like three levels deep on the They're eating dogs memes by the time that I was watching it.
Speaker 3: I I just think that like shit like this and like award shows are actually the perfect It still remains the perfect use of Twitter, which is like you you really do get everything you need to know from Twitter.
Speaker 1: You really, yeah, you get You see the things that are going to be remembered for the debate being like solidified into like memories. You see the other parts just kind of dropping away. There were like fifteen minutes at the beginning where you know, she seemed a little nervous, he seemed like he was gonna be okay. But that's all gone, that's all gone. They I do. I do find myself going into these like thinking like the mainstream media where you like watch the debate with like one dumb eye, trying to imagine like how people who like Trump or are like still undecided side are are like watching this where it's like and and yeah, the immediate takes from the main cable channel, like you know, they're not cable channels, the main network channels, Like I was watching on NBC and it was like, I mean, they both had moments that will probably resonate. She successfully prosecuted the case that he's an unstable lunatic who pulls a next essential risk to the survival of the nation and presented herself as reasonable and empathetic by comparison, and he was taller and was like like whide awake the whole time, Like that really seemed to be the But you know they I feel like they need to they struggle to find their yeah, to horse race it. And they know also that it's no matter what happened, it wasn't going to be a clear like there's no knockout punch happening, so they have to just be like yeah, and he's you know, he's continuing to be Trump.
Speaker 3: And there's nothing that could It's like like literally nothing could change the selection and shy of one of them dying on stage during right, yes, we both right, Like it's just like nothing will change nothing, How could anything change? It would be wild if anyone's opinion were swayed by tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this debate was a great test of that because if anything, if it were possible for a debate to actually change something, I have to wonder, if they're eating our pets, they're eating the dogs, is going to like be so far over the edge of believability, like so crazy email forward coded that people just have to like stop and be like wait, what the fuck? Like yeah, that's that, Like he's always he's always a lot, like he's a cartoon liar. Like people don't seem to mind, but even this felt like he was playing a liar on TV in a performance that would be called like overly broad by a critic.
Speaker 3: I get to me. It's that like he's always going to be like like like that the dunk that I think I kept seeing on my Twitter was like he's so like conservative media pill. He only makes sense to like people that are on like you know, Fox News and worse all day long. But the thing is he's only ever been that, Like I just don't understand what that and that these people think that there's a that this is a dunk or that there's like actual persuadable voters nine years into the ship, Like, what what are you talking about? Like, yeah, of course he sounds like a racist Facebook post, but like he never hasn't ye, Like what difference does that.
Speaker 1: Make it to be part of the appeal to the charm? Yeah, but like I feel like he made that look dumb last night. He made that, you know, like dumber than he's ever made it. But that doesn't matter how.
Speaker 3: Many times have we said this exact thing. He finally did it. It's like like this will be the thing, and I'm just like maybe, but like we've been saying this since the Clinton campaign and you know, like it hasn't heard him yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean part of the bit with him is like how much he triggers people who like cared about their grades in high school, you know, and like on some level they have to know that they're being constantly lied to and it's just like fun to see him tell the lie in a way. But like I guess that is the like Kamala Harris did seem unfazed by it a little bit and sort of able to manipulate it a little bit.
Speaker 3: Maybe, Yeah, yeah, I think that's I mean, you wonder because it's like like the one of the reasons he ran rings around Biden was Biden was like, first of all, they probably like unfortunately share more opinions than I would want to think about. Sure, and so it's like, you know, it's like the hay Buster, You're gone too far, or I wouldn't say like that was Joe Biden's like POV, whereas like at least Kama was able to just be like like make the face of like this is was crazy right, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like channeling a nation of people being like what yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like Jim the office, Jim from the office face.
Speaker 2: Yes, she was like serving Jim from the office a little bit. But that smug look.
Speaker 3: Has been the problem for Democrats for fucking over at death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I do think a lot of because there's a lot of people who are responding to this like it's over. It was, in fact the knockout punch, and.
Speaker 3: It's the exact same shit from the exact same point in the election that he won.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Saying like I don't have enough data points either, but I'm like, I don't know, this feels like exactly like we've been here before and it didn't go well.
Speaker 1: The Drudge Report, which has soured on Trump a long time ago, but like their headline was big letters the end with a with an ai image of Trump sitting in a plane full of cats because of that line, very stupid, but again, like hundreds of millions of Americans check that side every day, and Lindsey Graham called it.
Speaker 2: A total disaster.
Speaker 1: So like, there are places that I've looked where it feels like people on the right are reacting to this debate the way that people in the center reacted to the Biden debate.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, We'll have to see.
Speaker 3: I think that the problem with the Biden debate was that it went against like Biden's narrative, whereas this is comfortably within Trump's narrative. Sure, yeah, I think it's the thing like at least Biden was like, oh, at least we got a white guy that'll fucking stand up the Trump, like in a haybuster type of way, and when he couldn't do that, it was like, uh, but it's like short of Trump crying like I just don't like, there's nothing his image is this and this was more of it. Yes, I don't know, I just you know, again, as someone who didn't watch it, but I felt like the thing that might compel me to watch it is if a gambling market were to have the balls to open up the betting of whether he will say the N word on stage. That's what would take me to tune in. Yeah, I don't know what tide my money would be on.
Speaker 1: The betting markets did move someone significantly for Harriya, which was surprising that aftermath.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to revert right back to forty nine point nine, fifty point oh one whatever.
Speaker 1: But anyways, the other big event happening in the presidential election immediately after was that Taylor Swift. You know, most Americans might not have been persuaded by what they saw. Taylor Swift was like, right, I've done my research, guys. I came into this debate not knowing who to believe. I think the timing was made it feel like that. But yeah, she she came out wrote a piece saying that she is now going to she she has made up her mind, she's going to vote for Harris Walls.
Speaker 2: The Harris Walls.
Speaker 1: Campaign immediately launched some Harris Walls friendship bracelets. A big piece of Taylor Swift merch and those immediately sold out, which is kind of hard to believe because like, isn't the thing with friendship bracelets that they are so easy to make that like a six year old can make them.
Speaker 3: Jah je chat check jeck jack checkeck.
Speaker 2: My fucking up here, my depths.
Speaker 3: This is about. This is about selling about eight cents worth of string and beads for twenty dollars. Yeah, okay, I guess I mean official?
Speaker 4: Yeah that.
Speaker 3: Yes, sell the march, raise the money. It's what we need.
Speaker 1: I suppose, yes and Trump. Then the next morning, This Morning appeared on Fox and Friends suggested that Swift will pay a price in the market for her endorsement. Cool, not at all like the bad guy in an Asian smoothie for all your cool opinions. You'll pay it the market.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But and it's that's so weird too, because it's like, if there's one thing right wing people are used to, it's every artist that is good hating them, right, Like, since when is this new? Like obviously any Trump supporting Taylor Swift fans.
Speaker 1: Knew this, Like I there's of course Hull Cogan, one of my favorite artists. Did you see the JD Van speech where he tried to make the joke. He was like, I mean, did you see how cool that was? We got Hull Cogan at the r n C and he took off his shirt. Don't wear I can't don't wear that. Can't worry, don't you just couldn't get the joke out. I'm not don't worry. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to take off my shirt.
Speaker 3: It's the joke thing from all right wing people that's so amazing to me.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of which, yes, Elon Musk hopped in. He was like, oh, so Taylor Swift signed her thing child with cat Lady.
Speaker 3: Which was a jab at JD Vance's general apparently main political platform, which is he hates he hates women without.
Speaker 2: Without children that haven't given him a child.
Speaker 1: Yeah soon Musk after reading Swiss Instagram posts, normal, normal, good comedian Elon Musk, one of one of our finest, said fine, Taylor, you win.
Speaker 2: I will give you a child and guard your cats with my life. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I we had a little disagree with off Mike about what we thought he was doing here.
Speaker 4: I feel.
Speaker 2: Because I think he this is his this is his version.
Speaker 3: I think of yes, And I think he thinks he's playing along with her. He's just so like such a right like right wing lunatic that he thinks I will give you a child is the right yes, and to childless cat lady because he thinks he's playing along with har horror, I don't have a child. And in his right wing brain he's like, oh, but the counter the the like the next step of that is but you want one?
Speaker 2: By y? Yes?
Speaker 5: Like do you do you think he was offering her one of his many many children.
Speaker 2: Who's that voice?
Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's me Brian joining us, Briant interject we are joined.
Speaker 5: Like one of his many children. Board to put one in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think put one in her because either believable.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I love this spin. I love the spin.
Speaker 1: He's just offering her one too many damn kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will give you a child.
Speaker 1: Yeah No, I guess part of the thing that grosses me out is like, I will give you a child is like sounds like vaguely biblical, like, yeah, it'll make you with child under his in.
Speaker 3: Cell bros think this is the most crying emoji ship you've ever like heard, And it is like, Okay, the pitch we were talking about beforehand is like this man, I don't think this man well he does understand you know how cheap it is to hire very good joke writers right now, like many ideas could have a knockout amazing writer's room, and like and chooses.
Speaker 4: Not to you offering your services.
Speaker 1: Andrew, I'm just saying, I mean all would take a million dollars a.
Speaker 3: Month, honestly it would. You could do it for way less. I think you could probably do it for free lunch every day for a decent number of l A copics.
Speaker 1: I still guard your cats with my leg like I could see that I will give you a child being like either a play on him having so many children or him being like a creepy, fucking perverse but then and guard your cats with my life. It's just like takes it back to like him being like desperate or he's a malady guy.
Speaker 3: This is malady talk, and this.
Speaker 2: Is straight up malady.
Speaker 3: He only is, well he fired. Yeah he does put on a whack hat, but like it's just that he has access to slightly more expensive hats. But this is unambiguously malady talk. That's who he is. And like that's why he's like this. He's a fucking, you know, right wing fourteen year old boy freak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Grimes. It really like puts puts Grimes's decision making to it's wild. Yeah, this is the game that worked. All right, let's uh, let's take a quick break and then we're gonna come back and uh talk about the big news story that like basically didn't happen yesterday because nobody noticed because it was incredibly poorly timed by Apple. The Apple launch event will.
Speaker 2: Be right back and we're back.
Speaker 1: So, Brian the Editor, I always like to have you on when we're doing tech talk, a specialty, tech time.
Speaker 6: It's tech time. We got Brian the Editor here tech talk. Oh hell yeah. Mainly, I mean it's that you know stuff about tech. Also, you nag me every time I talk about tech. You're like, you sound like an old man who doesn't know about technology, just.
Speaker 4: A little confused.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you know about that Apple announcements as.
Speaker 3: An old man who cares, who needs alert about technology? Has Apple got several products for you?
Speaker 1: I know this is I was excited. Other people may not have noticed, but I was. I had a Google alert. When is Apple going to make a product that can monitor my sleep apnea and I'm in business, baby, We're in the money.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: So again, like we said before the break, just horribly timed. Wow, the day of the debate and they did.
Speaker 2: A big product launch.
Speaker 1: I saw a couple headlines, but Andrew, you had to like remind me that they announced, I mean it just iPhone sixteen. And they also announced that AI no longer stands for Artificial Intelligence. Now it stands for Apple iPhone or Apple really Intelligence.
Speaker 3: What a great like. I mean as as far as like taking shots, like trying to basically turn Apple into the Kleenex of AI, is like, what a bold move. And I think it might work because no one wants AI as on a consumer level.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's just a right, a thing.
Speaker 1: That will allow people to interact with AI stuff in a way that's less annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And this is this is typical of Apple.
Speaker 5: They take features that have existed on other platforms for quite some time and they rebrand it with their own goofy name and uh and pretend like they invented it.
Speaker 4: This is their playbook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is kind of their Their move is take other people technology, cram it be really mean to a bunch of engineers until they can figure out how to cram it into your pocket.
Speaker 4: I will give them this.
Speaker 5: They tend to tend to have a little more polish when they do come out with something. It's it's a little you know, the integrations with their other stuff tends to be a little smoother in the competition.
Speaker 1: I will agree iPhones are shiny, and that has been my contribution to the conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the fact that they're they're using chat GPT instead of their own thing is like such a weird like, oh, they're so behind, because like it feels like they would if they could have, they would not have made a deal with chat.
Speaker 5: Gpt, Right, Well, that's the thing. Everybody made a deal with chat gpt. It yeams, like every AI device is integrated with open Ai because they've already built the model and it's apparently really expensive and for the environment to build these language models.
Speaker 4: So I mean that makes sense to me.
Speaker 5: But this is already something that you know, Google and Samsung has already put out in the last year or so that all their AI integrations, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a lot of fatigue. So yeah, you're to your point Andrew.
Speaker 5: It seems like this, you know, just this little rebrand could help make it a little.
Speaker 4: More palatable to be especially Apple people.
Speaker 1: Again, the the whole question with AI, give me like three things it can do that iPhone can't currently.
Speaker 5: Basically, they've added things like certain photo features where you can add or remove things that were never in the photo.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, making Google ads.
Speaker 5: Basically they've reached parody with Google and Samsung with their AI features. It's nothing, They're not doing anything new, They're just doing it the Apple way.
Speaker 1: That is, like one of the more promising things I've heard AI doing is just making photoshop like kind of idiots, Like anybody can use photoshop. Anyone can photoshop a thing and you don't have to learn a tool, you just like intuitively move things around.
Speaker 5: But yeah, they just added the same machine learning features that other companies have already done, and it's really they're just reaching parody. Same thing with like this Apple AirPods for launch, which on its face is a little confusing, but basically it is the base model AirPods, which are open ear design. They don't have the silicon tips, and they are releasing two models. They're releasing one without noise canceling, and one with noise canceling, which basically they're achieving parody with Samsung because they just released some.
Speaker 3: For these, like active cancelation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they're open, so the noise cancelation is not going to be like what most people expect of noise canceling because your ear canal isn't sealed. So I'm expecting mixed reviews on this sort of thing because there's there's going to be some understandings. People are going to buy this thinking that it's going you're gonna be able to get on a plane and block out all the sound, and that's just not the case with this form factor. But you know, they're trying to.
Speaker 3: They're trying to just it just generates everybody the negative sound wave, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it works a lot better the better passive noise canceling you have, Like the more you're your canal is seeing, the better the noise canceling will work.
Speaker 4: So if you're the more mouth, it can only do so much.
Speaker 5: Sure, and the yeah, like you know, it's really this is I wouldn't call it catch up, but they're just achieving parody with everybody else.
Speaker 1: But just like because most people have iPhones, or because a lot of people have iPhones, it'll just be more present to them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they have the the hearing aid functionality.
Speaker 3: That was a small clip that I saw, which is they made a big deal that it can be like like replaced like a hearing aid medical device, which just to me, I mean, I know it's that they're like reaching out to like a broad audience, but it just definitely started to feel like, right, this is boomer time. Like they're like, the screen is so much bigger on the Apple Watch. You can make the font humongous, and like you can use this instead of your like medical hearing aid.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, when you think about it, it kind of makes sense.
Speaker 5: I know, you're like kind of kidding, but it's like the numbers on how many teens and young adults use iPhones is staggering. So the only the only demographic left they need to get is old people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wait, young people don't use iPhones.
Speaker 5: No, young people overwhelmingly use already.
Speaker 1: Knows they don't have to even think about it.
Speaker 5: Sell more iPhones to to the kids because they all have them, So you got to sell it to the parents and the grandparents and and yeah, like once again, this is achieving parody with Samsung because they've had this feature.
Speaker 4: For a couple of years now.
Speaker 5: I use it to for nerdy things, but it works pretty I used to diagnose like mechanical issues, but it.
Speaker 4: Works pretty well, i'd say.
Speaker 5: And Apple, they tend to like to get their medical sort of type things FDA approved, so I don't know what they're doing with that, but they tend to go pretty hard with this sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: I think they said in the in the thing that it was close or they were pursuing it, or like, yeah, FDA approval for the for the hearing aid.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I feel like that would work pretty well. And you know, my mom just.
Speaker 5: Got hearing aids, and hearing aids are expensive like the medical ones, so having this is an option is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just use an ear horn like one of those holes and make people speak into it, and that's actually pretty helvy.
Speaker 5: You urchin what the consumer branch of Sennheiser moved into this space of years ago, and they're sort of adding those features to their products as well. So this is this is just where the market is moving, where they're kind of merging, you know, hearing aids and earbuds together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's gonna be like a larger group of very old people on the planet. Yeah, for the next thirty years than has ever been true.
Speaker 3: You know, well, especially if you slice it to what's the population that can afford iPhones. Yeah, it's like, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not letting go of their money anytime. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I will say the one they may have gotten me with the single like AI thing that I actually want to use, which is on the fly AI emojis so they can use. So the example they use in this Guardian article is like you can type in cowboy frog and it'll put a cowboy hat on the frog emoji and it'll that is an emoji that you can put into like your texts or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, once again achieving parody with the competition.
Speaker 4: It's all of this stuff. This is kind of a nothing burger for me. This is just their playbook.
Speaker 5: They they let everybody get out of the gate and then they pull up from behind and sort of quote unquote perfect these things when they get around to it and once again pretend like they invented it.
Speaker 2: That's worth stealing essentially.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which is not a bad thing to do. You don't want to be first the market. Look at everything that you know, like, look at friends, their look at you know, all these things from the tech world. Being first is not the best thing you want to be. You want to come in and crush it. You don't want to be first necessarily. So yeah, it's not a bad strategy.
Speaker 3: This is this is I was like, oh man, all right, they got me. This is an AI thing that I will actually use.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fun.
Speaker 4: But as I said it, as I.
Speaker 3: Said prior to us recording, this is literally a trillion dollar solution to a ten cent problem.
Speaker 1: So probably not trillion world melting solution to Yeah, all right, I don't know, maybe we could do this, Okay, all right, well, Brian the editor and the tech expert, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: And Andrew T, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: This is fun.
Speaker 2: Where can people find you? Follow you? All that could stuff? Andrew T?
Speaker 4: He know, is this racist?
Speaker 3: All of our weird premium shows are unsuboptimal pods dot com we also have. I didn't mention it on Daily's like I did in the future, but my co host Tani Newsome just got back from a long trip in Africa, and there's some there's some Africa diaries that are pretty dope on our premium shows.
Speaker 2: So yes, whatever, subscribe.
Speaker 1: Amazing that is going to do it for us this afternoon. We are back tomorrow with a who last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to y'all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye peace, Bye,