Speaker 1: Ring ring ring ring. May I please speak with Zoe?
Speaker 2: Oh, hello, Lamurn, let's Patch and Hannah.
Speaker 3: God, I forgot what it was like working with you guys.
Speaker 2: Hello, friends, Welcome to our show. It's the New Girl Rewatch podcast. I'm Zoe and I'm here with hell Morn. Hannah's taking the day off today. Our guest is Justin Long. You know him from cult classics like Jeepers, Creepers, Drag Me to Hell, Dodgeball, and Galaxy Quest. And he's Alvin and the Alvin and the Chipmunk series. But mainly you love him most as Paul Genslinger on New Girl. Please welcome the talented writer, director, producer, and actor Justin Long to our show. Welcome John.
Speaker 4: Yes, what's that dude? Yes, Zoe? What are you eating?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry? I like took some pretzels. Oh it's stash. Are you haven't grown a lot lentils? You see that?
Speaker 4: Like it?
Speaker 2: Like? That was obviously no lentils. It's obviously. By the way, it's snack time. I'm having lentils, you dummy.
Speaker 4: Dummy, it's lentil hour. No, you don't have pretzels during lentil time, weirdo.
Speaker 2: It's two o'clock. We have lentils.
Speaker 1: Now, what is this bracket set up? You got there? Justin That's a pretty cool setup.
Speaker 4: Oh thanks, it's the company I do my podcast with, Life is Short is Wondering.
Speaker 1: They give you, They give you your own booth.
Speaker 4: No, I'm I'm I mean I usually do it out of my home, which is where we did ours. Lemorn. Yeah, friend of the show More and More's and.
Speaker 2: Thanks for I thought I was a friend as well.
Speaker 4: You your episode doesn't come out yet.
Speaker 2: He doesn't count yet.
Speaker 4: Future friend Lois you're a friend of mine, not yet of the show where I'm at the Wondering studio. So I've been shooting this thing in Utah and I just came back to La to do this. So we have good standing.
Speaker 1: And they gave you. You're at their offices where you have your own boots.
Speaker 4: Yes, you're hung up on this on the poster. I this actually could be anywhere. I suppose you're right. I am in La.
Speaker 1: I'm not hung up on a poster. I'm hung up on the fact that they didn't iHeart didn't give us one. They didn't give us a poster.
Speaker 2: Do we need a poster? I think he's in there. I think we could record at the iHeart Studios if we wanted, couldn't Yeah, Daniel says yes, yes. Our engineer says yes, we could record there any time. We just don't want to drive there. And we have nice microphones here.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you can comfort you.
Speaker 1: I would love to, but I sit do my podcast in this raggedy ass house that I have. It's falling apart on me.
Speaker 2: Wait, okay, I know for a fact do you have a beautiful home. Some might call a mansion a raggedy ass mansion, a raggedy ass mansion.
Speaker 1: It's like a haunted mansion. Okay, this place.
Speaker 2: A haunted mansion built in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Like that shows.
Speaker 2: Haunted by the ghosts of the men who made it.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, gracious, justin you look good man.
Speaker 4: Oh thanks. You say that like you're surprised.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because usually you look you know, like, yeah, raggedy. Well no, much like my mansion. Yeah. Usually you're just like chilling dude, usually have a surfer Yeah I'm not. You're all professional and stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, I wore it. I thought I'd dress up for you guys, because out of respect.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm excited to be on this show. I'm excited to talk to all of you, where I don't see Hannah.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Hannah was a problem with me. No, No, she she she's just take I think she's with her kids. Maybe.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She did want me to pass along a message to you. What is it? She said, Please don't let this be any type of negative space between the two of you. But she and her words were and I didn't make I could, I wouldn't say this Justin, but her words were, I don't fuck with him. That's what she said.
Speaker 4: Oh, like like, like, because I'm so hostile, Like, I don't. I don't want to anger him.
Speaker 1: There're such an angry guy. You're an angry guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't. I don't. I'm now beginning to suspect that maybe she doesn't.
Speaker 2: She had a different experience of you, Justin than I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope so, because you you have I do one of them.
Speaker 2: I mean I worked with you a lot, and I never had that experience.
Speaker 4: But well, I wonder what I did to her. No, I think she was.
Speaker 2: Gonna be on, but then she was like, is it too many people to interview? Justin and then we were kind of all talking about when this is probably stuff to cut, but we were just like, oh, I worked with you the most, probably and then little more and Hannah didn't work with you as much. So I'm hoping to have episodes off when she interviews like, oh, I see, okay, it's sometimes we'll interview the people we worked with the most.
Speaker 4: Oh, that makes sense, so I shouldn't. I won't take it personally.
Speaker 2: Don't take it personally other than she doesn't fuck with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's pretty personal. Okay, Yeah, oh my goodness with you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, man, thanks for doing that.
Speaker 1: Oh man, course, dude, Zoe, do you want we want to dive right in this and maybe get this intro out later or you want to oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh hi guys, welcome to Welcome to our show. And you know what, I will say this because because a couple of people were asking why we call it welcome to our show. Well, I'll tell you it's because every time someone came to our loft apartment, I'd say welcome to our home, and now we're saying welcome to our show.
Speaker 1: We go.
Speaker 2: It's a stretch, but we'll take it.
Speaker 4: Right, and you start each show by saying that, welcome to our show.
Speaker 2: One of the names we could clear with legal. Also, we had so many other we had a lot.
Speaker 4: We went what were some of the finalists.
Speaker 1: Uh, we had justin Long Gas podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like that one.
Speaker 2: Don't go just and Long. I think, sorry, I believe we can't say the F word. Sorry, you know, I don't know if we can, but I don't say it very much myself, so Dan'll know that that's not that's against miamage.
Speaker 4: So I've just been quoting Hannah.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: Quote that was a direct quote, and we don't I've just been quoting Hannah.
Speaker 2: I was just quoting Lamar in quoting Hannah.
Speaker 1: Right. I think we had what we had. We had a loft talk or apartment for D or no apartment for D.
Speaker 2: Is like it's already it's an already established podcast.
Speaker 4: That was Who's that? Who's that? Who's that? What's that? Podcet Now.
Speaker 2: We had oh, what was the one I loved? And they were like, that's not going to happen. Do you remember which one that was? Joelle? They were like, well, True Americans was one. They thought that sounded like too much. We were like military, Yeah, reminiscing about our times in the military. Uh so that didn't Yeah, they yeah, that didn't work.
Speaker 1: Was able to do Justin to come up because you're.
Speaker 4: Well, it's hard to well, no thanks, lamar idiot, but it's I feel you. It's hard to name things. And we had a hard time. You know. Of course we like I like stupid puns and so life is short with Justin long is what we settled on. But we had a lot of There were a lot of long puns that we played with, which sounds very arrogant, but it's just me doing it. I mean, I mean for you guys, it's like, I guess you'd have to have to do something New Girl related, and that's I'm struggling to come up with one, just one show.
Speaker 1: Your show is very very much so jeepers creepers themed.
Speaker 2: That is true, but it's creepers rewatch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've been dissecting it for two and a half years. It is a deep it's deep, so you we need more time to unpack it. Cheepers creepers is it's crazy Lamaran that it comes up all at the time. Zoey and I we're just talking about things that people will come up to you about. And and that is one that just for for this low budget horror movie. It truly comes up all the time. It's been twenty something years.
Speaker 1: I know of two low budget horror movies that you've done that will never leave my brain. Never, yeh, never leave my mind. Speepers is one of them. It's it's the first time I was introduced to you as an actor and I thought, my goodness, this guy at the time, this kid is incredible. And the second time was Tusk and I if you guys haven't seen Tusk, don't It is.
Speaker 4: A terrifying great plug. What a great plug. Yes, do not see it if you haven't. If you have seen it, don't see it again. Yes, yeah, that's when you thought. The first one you thought, who is this kid? The second one you thought, what has this kid done to his career?
Speaker 1: Man? It's one of the dopest, most insane movies I've ever seen. And I saw it in the theaters and I said, think, I sent you a photo of me watching it, going what.
Speaker 4: Yes, And you're so nice about it? Actually? Yeah, Well, well my mom, you know, she I told her not to see it. My grandma was alive at the time and she was well into her nineties and they went together, so like she must have been the oldest person to have seen that movie. But for the few of you who don't know, it is a movie about a psychotic older man who turns I play a podcast, or actually I play like an obnoxious podcasts are such a stretch and he turns me into a walrus. Basically, he's fast. He was like past this obsession with walruses. And it was based on this actual thing that happened. A guy in England took out a Craigslist type ad for a roommate. He said the deal was free room and board and the only stipulation was that the person would have to dress like a walrus for for like three or four hours during the day.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a New Girl episode.
Speaker 4: To be honest with you, he does. It's very quirky, but it but it it turned out. I mean he did it as a as a joke, but he got like over four hundred responses people wanting to do that thinking it was a good deal. And Kevin Smith heard about this. They talked about it on his podcast and he was so taken by the story that he turned it into this kind of like hammer horror human body mutilation story and play the man. Well, Mike, this great actor, Michael Parks, who has had passed away unfortunately, but he had a real like cult following, and one of his fans, like Tarantino, loved him and put him in a bunch of movies and Robbed Rodriguez. These like tour guys would would cast him a lot, and Johnny Depp was a big fan, and so Johnny played a That's why he played the detective in that movie. So he did it kind of in this.
Speaker 2: Really, I haven't seen this. I'm not a big horror movie person, but it sounds interesting. Is it too much for me? Probably? I don't watch it.
Speaker 4: I'm begging you, yeah, do not. Of all people, we should have been talking about this new.
Speaker 1: We want to get to know you. We want to get to know yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so welcome to Welcome to our show. I already said that we have the incomparable crazy Town. Did justin long here today on Now aka Paul Genslinger.
Speaker 4: Yes, So.
Speaker 2: It was really cool because you came on our show first season and the Thanksgiving episode was your first your first episode and they were like, what do you think of justin long playing like your love and dress. I was like, oh my god, that's amazing because I knew you were so talented. But what was cool about working with you is I saw how much work you put into everything behind the scenes. You you write a lot of You write a lot of jokes like on your own, like a lot of alt lines, and you're always like your mind is always going, You're always like trying to come up with like the best version of the scene. And the other thing that was really like cool to see about you was that you have an amazing kind of sense of physical comedy that was like reminded me of of like a John Ritter. And there was this stuff that got cut from that episode, but you did a full on acrobatic tumble over the cow over a couch, yes, and we were I was like, oh my god, this is incredible. This guy is like so funny. I remember then they cut it. I was so mad.
Speaker 4: That was a bummer. I remember somebody gasping when I did that, thinking that I had uh and and and the truth people thought.
Speaker 2: You really hurt yourself.
Speaker 4: I do remember, yeah, and I actually I have hurt myself in the path. I have a thing in my elbow. I have a little bone chip that I can still feel, and every once in a while if I hit it the wrong way and it's from something that something, I should stop doing this. This should be a lesson. It's something else. I got cut from a movie that wasn't very good that I really And the truth is I'm not trained as I'm a stunt person, but I love doing that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: That's why you messed up your elbow. Clearly you're not trained.
Speaker 2: No, exactly exactly Like I worked with Jim Carron. He did that stuff where he'd just be like I'm doing this and like he's like like I remember him going like okay, when you hear me say this line, move okay, and I'm like, like he didn't. He just whispered it to me. He didn't tell anybody else. He's like just he's well. He It was like I was behind this bar and he was like just move, like move to the right, to your right and move the glass. And I was like okay, and I I did, and he like full on did a similar thing to you where he leapt over a bar and did like a full front flip and surprised everybody because nobody knew he was doing it except I had an inkling because he kind of warned me, but I didn't know what he was going to do.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, was that yes man?
Speaker 2: Yes man?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes man, yes yes now yes yes person, yes person, that's the twenty Well that's so John Rider was my favorite. I mean I've watched I loved Three's Company. I loved him so much. And Jason Rider is a friend of mine and I.
Speaker 2: Me too, I grew up with him.
Speaker 1: Oh right, right, So the craziest.
Speaker 2: Thing is that John Ritter would come and be a room parent in our kindergarten class.
Speaker 4: What that's yes?
Speaker 2: And I remember this because for some reason my parents let me watch Three's Company. I was like three years old. Like I don't know why, but like it was I mean, look, I'm glad I did, but it was not necessarily like for there.
Speaker 4: A little probably missed some of the nuances, some of the especially with.
Speaker 2: The I just thought it was funny, you know, it was like he was funny.
Speaker 1: He would like you had John Ritter come to your class as a kid. Yes, so I had a street singing clown that is a clown who lived on the street. And he would show up at our school and lunch of breaks and sing to us.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what I think. He sounds cool, but nah.
Speaker 1: He was a tricky guy.
Speaker 2: So so John Ridder would come in and like volunteer as a parent, like, and he would be sitting I remember because he was like a tall guy and Jason was in my class and he I remember sitting at a little tiny table in little tiny chairs with like construction paper and little baby scissors. And I walked in and I sat down and John Ridder sat next to me, and I was I knew Three Company was in syndication and stuff. It was on after school, like it was.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, you know, it was like.
Speaker 2: On at three PM or three yeah, three thirty. And I remember being like, what is happening? Like your mind must have been My mind was well because I still didn't understand like that people like, you know, I was like, did he come out of the tavy? Like what happened?
Speaker 4: You know? Yeah? And are we am I on the show? Now?
Speaker 2: He was so nice and I didn't know what Yeah, I know, I was like I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what to say. I was just like, huh, like it was very I'm imagining and he was so nice. And he was like sitting on this tiny little chair at this time cutting out construction paper with us in garden.
Speaker 4: Yes it is, and I and I'm imagining his perspective of like little Zoe, like being like awestruck with the big eyes looking up on it. Must have been so so nice. I've heard he was just the sweetest. It makes sense because Jason is just you know.
Speaker 2: I love Jason. Yeah, yes, and also so talented.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, so good. You guys did.
Speaker 2: You live No, we did for my first movie that's with Larry Casten. Yeah yeah, yeah, so yeah, Jason, Jason is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Justin your career has brought you to the highest of heights. You've been all over the world, You've seen a lot of things. Yeah, it brings you all the way here. It's a new girl.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: So here you are. You're on our show. You know, people usually have the traditional audition process for a show. They go audition, they go get on the show. What was yours?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: How did you get on the show. Let's just let's start there. How did it even happen.
Speaker 4: Well, you know this, Lauren, because I know I don't know it either.
Speaker 1: I gave him a shot.
Speaker 4: You it was a fecasting couch situation. You were you claimed to be the casting director. I got a call. It was this is boring, but I I got a call from my manager saying there was this new show and it was just I just knew that Zoe was on it. And I always been such a fan of hers, and I thought she was so talented and sweet and I just wanted to work with her. It was as simple as that. So all I knew about it was it was playing Zoe's love interest. And I was like, yes, man, like the movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, ma'am, I will say this on the show. You guys have a very interesting romance. So the Esctor love this couple. This couple is.
Speaker 2: I mean in a way like Genslinger was like the most just like you know, the most, like the exact like the you know, just is exact like counterpart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was sort of pitched to me that way. I guess, yeah that it should be. And and and Joe and I were just talking about on my podcast the word quirky.
Speaker 2: Following us both around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and you know what I.
Speaker 2: Think it is, it's like unexpected stuff. And that's what makes me laugh a lot. Like when you when you walked in at the beginning of the of this recording session and and I'm like eating pretzels and then I'm like, what what are you He's like, Oh, you're eating pretzels okay, And I'm like, what are you eating? I was like granola and he's like, no, linils. Like that's where I make me laugh. That's what makes me laugh. And I think that like that's kind of like, I'm not it's not on purpose, but it's like, I think the things that come out of your mouth are unexpected and probably similar, Yes, make a thing out of more. Moving on you, I saw your I saw your face. He was ready, he got excited about het.
Speaker 4: Like, I love that. I love the way your show explored those moments and and allowed those moments to like breathe and a lot of the awkwardness was was created just from the silences and from the moments in between, and that I always felt like that's kind of that's definitely rare now. I mean, I feel like shows used to indulge in those moments a little bit more often and more consistently. But I remember one of my favorite scenes was just riding in a car with Jake and Uh, and I would just point out kind of mundane things on the roads and associations with like you know, and like, oh that I think that's where my my copies made. Jacob course is so over it, but I I loved. I mean, Zoe used this great word when we just talked, guileless, that that Paul that Genslinger has has guileless is jess that he had. There's an innocence that is really I loved playing like I really loved because I kind of aspire to be that present and positive and and and and take people uh in that kind of way, like treat people with that kind of positivity and and so anything any cynicism that that Jake's character had, or any any of you guys on the show had, I would just completely I just would. It wouldn't absorb it at all. Like he's he's such a an innocent that it just didn't affect him. I don't think he's dumb. I think he heard the jab.
Speaker 2: Oh. He also doesn't know why people don't like him, which is like so sweet, too, like he's like, it's a nice way to be I know, it's yeah, and and they should like him because he's nice.
Speaker 4: Well, well, I can also see why. Well. I also like the dynamic of the odd coupling of somebody like Jake who would get like annoyed by him. I mean, who's more cynical? Oh really, that's where you get your copies made? Oh no, no, I'm sorry, it's that place, you know.
Speaker 2: I loved that. So that was such a funny scene. So a favorite memory of mine working with you was that we had that crazy, hilarious like the on the page. It was hilarious, the love scene where we're like supposed to be like were like trying to role play and it's kind of coming out in an awkward way. And I remember we were rehearsing and running lines and we just both started doing really weird voices just like out like just trying them, like just because we were like just running lines and it was just weird. Like it was late at night and we're like, why don't I try this one? And then we were doing we ended up doing the weirdest voices, and I remember you were doing a Jimmy Shirt voice. And then I was doing a couple of last voice and then I did this other like really weird voice, and then you laughed, and I was like, I'm gonna try it because just long laughed at it. And then and then they were the weirdest. It was the weirdest choices, but people ended up really liking them, and I was like, I was very bolstered by the fact that you were like playing along so well with all that like just weird, like the experimentation of finding those voices, like in that scene, it was just really fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so fun, Joey. I remember that voice made me laugh so hard that you did. It's like indelible. I can kind of do. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: I want to hear a re enactment of that scene. I start from the beginning.
Speaker 4: Well, i'd been I mean, Jimmy Stewart, I've been like working out.
Speaker 2: Wow, when I got a little more comfortable.
Speaker 4: Yes, oh years. But what you did with.
Speaker 2: That infection, your mild you it was.
Speaker 4: It was Harry Carrey kind of.
Speaker 1: It was very much so Harry ca.
Speaker 2: I don't even know who Harry Carrie is, so that's is so much no no idea who he is. It sounds to do an old lady, but that's okay, young mild, Young Mile. I was like, what happens if you put the voice in your nose and then stick it so far up your nose that you can barely breathe.
Speaker 4: Because you know when you're doing something that like, is so ridiculous that and this isn't exactly, this was definitely a case in point. You have to, like, you have to commit or you're screwed if you don't. If you don't commit full commitments, so we.
Speaker 2: Were cliff if you don't fully commit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'm in that. But then if you go too far, if something like if something brings you out of it, you you immediately realize how absurd the thing is. And I think that's what happened. That's what happened when you did that, Young Maya, because it was like, it's just too much. And I hate I hate when when when something is funny, which that scene was. It was written really funny. You were being so funny. When I'm doing something like that, I feel so lucky that I I hate, I like really don't like breaking. I don't like ruining.
Speaker 2: Did you break?
Speaker 4: Especially on a TV show?
Speaker 2: I don't remember that because you were so funny. It was so fun.
Speaker 4: That was like it's on the outtakes broke when you said young, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because I just remember doing that, but I remember it was like a conspirausy, Like it was conspiratorial between us that we had like almost made a pack to make the most the weirdest version of that scene. And and it was really nice because you weren't like that was a little you know, maybe don't do that voice, or that was a little too far. It was just nice to have a scene partner who was like fully on board with the weirdest choice.
Speaker 4: Likewise, God, yeah, well that's what's fun about that again, Like if you don't, that's what it's that's the fun I mean, And that was so fun.
Speaker 1: In a scene like that. You know you obviously you're a funny guy, and you're bringing your own i mean, the both of you together. That scene was one of the funniest things that that I've seen on the show. But in real life, justin on the romantic side.
Speaker 4: Would you stop in school? Would you stop? What are you doing? No? I'm sorry, what.
Speaker 1: I just you know, you know, are you an old school romantic kind of guy where you might play some jodas Cy, you know, do a deep voices, tell her sweet things. Is this the Justin long or you want.
Speaker 2: To you want to do it the voice?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, yeah, I kind of do this, and I do a whole I'll do the.
Speaker 1: Damn Justine Justin that's.
Speaker 4: Hot in the morning, Like, let's pretend Justin stop. So you mentioned Mcaulay Culkin. I remember running into him at Don Hills. Do you remember Don Hills on Spring and Greenwich. It was this great in New York great bar where I was introduced to like a lot of you know, great like Pulp and uh, you know, like James all these like britt.
Speaker 2: Pop bands yeahs and uh.
Speaker 4: It was just so fun, like just dancing and cheap beer and y U students and but I remember seeing Macaulay Kulchin there and I was introduced to him and and he was and he was in character for a party monster oh really, And he was playing Michael I think his name is Michael. Like he was very kind of flamboyant and he was being that.
Speaker 2: And I never understand that the being like, look, I have all respect for all processes, but what an arduous thing the whole time. Must it just seems like so much and in a way like like like you're like, oh, it's kind of collaborative and it kind of can can like interfere with other people's processes.
Speaker 4: Sometimes, yes, yeh, So I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, I'm like whatever, like I've thought about it. I'm like, I pass on that for me.
Speaker 1: I mean, I always think that's the only way I'll get respected as an actor, as a factually committed to the process.
Speaker 2: To the process without taking it home. I mean, like even merit does like go home and you know talking, you know, like her character.
Speaker 4: Well that was the odd things. They weren't even shooting. I mean it was like he was just out. He was he was just out and yeah, he was just had an audition. But so my impression of him was that I.
Speaker 2: Had a years ago, I had a meeting with Kevin Spacey. He was making this movie about what's his name, Bobby Darren, Bobby Darren, Yes, yes, And I used to do this cabaret act and he'd come and seen it and I was like, like they were meeting me about the part of Sandra d And eventually Kate Osworth did that part. And it was yeah, she is. And and I I met him somewhere like for lunch or something, and I walk in. He's like, hey, hey over here, over here, and I'm like, well, he talked like Bobby Darren the entire job, and he's like.
Speaker 4: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: He and I remember, particularly like, not knowing what was going on, he goes, I see two swinging cats doing a cabaret act and I thought, oh, yeah, he's like to swing and jazz cat ladies doing a cabaret act. And I was like what I was like? I was like, I was like, I had no idea how to react. Like I've definitely worked with like my share of actors who like do that. Usually it's like while we're working and I'm like, you know, I kind of yeah, you're on set, and that's that's fine. But it was weird meeting somebody for a movie and he's already a character and he called me a swing in jazz cat.
Speaker 4: So that's wild.
Speaker 2: The only time you ever been called the swing and jazz cat.
Speaker 4: Did you find yourself like kind of trying to adopt a similar.
Speaker 2: No, I was trying to get out of the meeting at that point. I was like get me out of here.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 2: I want to be seeing in this movie. I was like, I get a weird feeling about this guy.
Speaker 1: Was that what made you say no to the movie?
Speaker 2: Nobody offered me the movie. I was not chosen, but it was good because it was I was not. I think I was. You know, it would have been we wouldn't have I wouldn't have liked the four months of talking in jazz Daddy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'd be funny if now Kevin Spacey was like, Wow, that wasn't me that did that. It was it was Bobby. I was characters, Bobby Darren.
Speaker 2: I couldn't shake it.
Speaker 4: I got fired from a job an animated movie called Tale of Despero, uh, which I loved because it was all these great actors actors I loved. I got to it was an animated movie, but they were recording us some I wonder if you guys have done this where they like wanted us to be interacting and wanted all together with booms. Yeah yeah, or as together as we could be. We had body mics and stuff, and they because they wanted us to feel our interactions, you know. Cool. It was really cool.
Speaker 2: I did that. I did that on an animated movie.
Speaker 4: Oh really, yeah, but they did.
Speaker 2: We were on a sound stage, yeah, and we had I guess we were like we had lavel years and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They you they let you let me go.
Speaker 4: It was because they I know, well I was playing I was playing a mouse, a kid mouse mouse. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well here's what happened.
Speaker 4: Say, well, because I said I loved that Gary Ross was the director, and I said, I was kind of pitching my voice up a little, like, you know, to play he was younger, and and Gary Gerry said, uh no, just do your voice like, we just want your you know, I don't want you to pitch it or do a thing affected at all. And and so I didn't, and I and I he they claimed that as they were animating to my voice, it just sounded too low, too rich roman. Who knows, I may.
Speaker 2: Have did they did you get replaced by an actual kid?
Speaker 4: James Earl Jones Matthew Broderick replaced me, which I was like so flattered by. I was like, I loved Matthew and I thought where would we who would be fine? I truly I grew up watching him, and I was weirdly flattered. I was like, well, Okay, if you're going to lose to somebody, lose to somebody, really, but who cares.
Speaker 1: You've done so oh voice broh.
Speaker 4: The irony is a couple. Like a month later, I got the Alvin and the chip Links job, which Zoe and I were just talking about, and I remember running into Gary I don't know how much later, and I said he was like, hey, sorry again about that. I said, well, I ended up playing a road in after all the computers they dig they enhanced my voice, made me sound higher. But yeah, it was a bomber. It was a bomber because it was just such a great cast and Christopher Lloyd was It was a good Yeah.
Speaker 2: I worked with Christopher Lloyd.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well okay, so together refresh my memory.
Speaker 2: It was a little tiny movie called Flakes.
Speaker 4: Aaron Stanford and cheer O'Donnell. Yes, shot in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Yes, were you buddies with Kerr? Is that right?
Speaker 4: Friends with Yea?
Speaker 2: I love those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, here and I like here I haven't seen in so long. But he was such a good friend. Yeah, he's so so hilarious and talented. But so we did this movie with Christopher Lloyd and I remember we were rehearsing for it and it was a little movie and like we didn't have anybody, like any runners or anything to like go get lunch. And I was like, I'll go get lunch. So I was like taking everyone's orders and like burritos or whatever we're getting. I was like getting Chipotle and shout out Christopher Lloyd, like in the most Christopher Lloyd way. Was like and get to some of those.
Speaker 5: Bingo and I'm like, okay, okay, however, and he's like one of them, get some.
Speaker 2: Of those albino things and I'm like, yeah, okay. He said it like four times, and I was like, this is like the best. I was like, I wish i'd had like camera glasses.
Speaker 4: Yeah he has. We had the funniest. We had a moment where he was playing like a mentor of mine and he gives me my character wants to be a knight. He and he's got this courage mouse. Yeah, the mouse that I got fired from. Uh and he so Christopher gives me a like a needle that is to be my sword. And his line was every good night needs a sword and he said, uh, so he said, every good night needs a sword and I remember Gary, the director said, that's great, Chris, uh we got that one. Bring it down a little bit because it's, you know, kind of an intimate moment, and uh so it's it's not so oh okay, okay, take two Every good nights are sure, you know and kind of the same. Uh and he Garry was like, yeah, yeah, just really bring it down, like very intimate, almost a whisper, you know, like it says this moment.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, every good night.
Speaker 4: You know, it was not the level that he had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were the one who was like, you're the one.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it reminds me of It reminds me of a moment that we had. Is one of my favorite moments actually on New Girl when you wouldn't call me by my name? Do you remember that moment you had to leave the scene.
Speaker 4: It was one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: I was walk us, walk us through what was happening in the scene. So here's here's here's here's what I remember from my point of view. The director said, just walk out of the the or just come on in and say hello. And you were like, I think it was Jake Johnson and I are I think you say Hey, Nick, Hey, Winston's and then you added an S to my name, and each time it was slightly different. What do you remember from from that?
Speaker 4: From that, Well, it's funny because I was just talking about this one. I remember being in church when I was a kid and trying to make my brothers laugh by standing out in like as subtle a way as possible from the conformity of like like the singing. For example, like if we were to like, like you know, if you we we had to say, like, h let us let us pray, I would say, let us praise, and I would just add like an ass sound to it, which stands out, which makes it stand out? Does or I try to be like the last, like the first one to rise to stand and the last one to sit, and I do it with my friend Craig Guiling, who was on the opposite side of the church, and we play like kind of it would be it was like church chicken to see who would sit the last, you know, so it's just the two of us still standing in this whole congregation people sitting. So that reminded me of that a little bit. I always found it funny to just get people's names slightly wrong. Your name was Winston. I think I called you. The reiteration of that will call me Wimbledon, Wilton, well Walton, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Justin This is the part of this is this is a part of your performance that has possibly gotten me in trouble in my life. So on New Girl, I had a nickname. I was Porcelain. I would always get Morris for the most random thing.
Speaker 2: Well, you would like stuff would happened that didn't seem like an opportunity to get injured and you somehow injure yourself, like getting up from the couch. I come up with that nickname, you know I didn't.
Speaker 1: Zoe came up with Porcelain.
Speaker 2: I did not. You know that was Jake Johnson's.
Speaker 1: Zoe would cut down the magazine. No, no, like a like a kidnapper and simulate notes. No, sir, dear Porcelain, trying to keep it together this episode.
Speaker 2: Please don't break your wrist again. No, no, you you did. You did get injured, but I think it was just bad luck.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, let me tell you. Let me tell you this part. I injured myself getting off of a couch, and let me explain why. There was a moment where a director once said to you, justin leave the scene, just kind of go quickly, and you would take your time in such a way that was so funny, and you would leave and then it was like, can you just go a little bit faster? And then the next take you bolted out of the door so fast, like you did a full sprint and ran out of the door and we were in tears. So a director was asking me to get off of the couch for like this is maybe a season or two later, and so I got up with Zoe and I were in the scene together, and they said, okay, when she does this, just get up and exit the scene. So I got up and they said, okay, let Mark, can you do a little bit faster? So I thought I was moving as fast as I humanly could. That made sense to the scene. So I got up and I walked out. He goes, I hate to do that to you, but if you could just move just a little bit quicker out of the scene, I said, okay, great. I said, I'm gonna pull a justin long. I'm going to push myself off of the couch and leap over the table. That was my plan. I was going to aggressively push myself down. If you know that couch, the one that we always sat on on the loft, there's a dead spot in the cushion doesn't quite have that much cushion.
Speaker 2: It was a vintage couch like when we got it.
Speaker 1: And as I pushed myself down, my thumb goes down and I dislocate my thumb and you can hear it in the you can hear it in an old eddae.
Speaker 4: It just goes, Oh my god, is that embarrassing.
Speaker 1: It was not only embarrassing. I had to go to the emergency room.
Speaker 4: Dude, I had no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I credit you for that.
Speaker 2: Well just oh oh.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you were to hurt yourself. I used to do a bit. I'm sure I did it on your show because I've been doing it since kindergarten that I got from John Ritter, not personally, but he would do this great thing with the door. I'm sure he got it from somebody. You know. It probably goes back to chaplain or something. But you you stop a door with your foot, I mean you just time it so that it's it hits your shoe, yes, perfectly right as it's.
Speaker 2: Jason Jason Ridder taught that to me, no kidding, and yeah, like in high high school or elementary, I can't remember, it was probably high school. I remember he would do that and then he was like, oh, yeah he showed me and then yeah, no, it's a great it's a great trick. I love that one.
Speaker 4: Well. I've been getting mileage from it since Kindrick, Like I remember, I remember like it was an indelible moment to me, indelible memory getting a laugh from that. And so I do it all the time. I would do it all the time. And I I was doing stuff one of our sponsors on the show is Bud Light Seltzer on our.
Speaker 1: Podcast Light to Bud Light Seltzer.
Speaker 4: And so I was doing like a bit for Instagram to you know, hitting my running into something. And and the key part of it is that you have to be wearing daring, protective footwear because that's what you're hitting. That's really what you're hitting is your feet. And I was I was with uh. I was also trying to impress my girl. I was trying to make her laugh because she had never seen me do that. And it's like a surefire lap. It's I could go to like Ace in the hole and I was wearing crocs. Oh geez, and yeah, and so I hit it. So I hit my foot so hard because I really, I like over committed to the bigs. I'm trying to impress her, trying to be funny for this thing on Instagram. And immediately I knew. You know that, you know when you get hurt trying to do something funny like more and like your couch thing, and you quickly have to do the calculation. You don't want to be you don't want to let on that you're hurt, because it's the most embarrassing thing to like get hurt doing something fun trying to be funny, to get hurt. So I covered it up at first, like I was like, but she must have seen like real pain, Like she must have seen me suppressing like genuine pain, because I was. I was. I was shot through my leg and shot all the way. This was this was broke. This was Kate Brooke and and and she was like yes, Kate bag and she was like she didn't really laugh, I was. She kind of gave me a consolation laugh. And then she goes and I'm sweat, I'm I must have had the weirdest grin plastered on my face because I wanted to cry. You know, it was that bad. It hurt that bad that I wanted to like, and she goes, are you okay? And I tried to play it off like, uh, yeah, what do you mean. She's like, you seem like you're in pain. And I had to come clean. I mean it was a moment where I was like, well, I have to this person can see. And so I had to admit that I had hurt myself. And I hurt myself so badly that I went I was hot, I was limping. I was like hobbling. I think I may have broken my toe. And I had to go shoot a movie in Bulgaria the next day. I had to travel so for the first and I was doing and then pray, yeah, exactly, joke, I'm getting brook.
Speaker 1: So justin you have this, you have this energy on set that is contagious for and obviously there's love for comedy that in a way, even the way you explain it just now, it's almost teacher like. It's almost like you could teach a class on this type of stuff you're directing. Now, you know what what is that like? Is this something you've always wanted to do? Is that something uh that you enjoy doing?
Speaker 4: Yes, thanks, Loren, I it's nice you to say, I think, and that's just along everybody show. Yeah, I do. My brother and I with him. I do the podcast Christian Shout Out Seltzer Christian Long went up. We well, I called him Krit when I was growing up because we didn't like As to this day, I'm not crazy about multi syllable names. Uh so I he called me jut and my other brother Damien is Dame. So Krit and I do this podcast. So we made a movie with Jason's wife, Melanie Melanie wonderful Melanie Melanie.
Speaker 2: She is one of my sister's best friends.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right, Yes, I think I knew that. Melanie Lynskey. It's so good and she's on this If you haven't seen Yellow Jackets, check it out. She's so good. But but Melanie and Judy it's like an odd couple comedy which which we loved, which were my favorite Judy Greer, Judy Greer and Melanie out. Yeah it was. We got so lucky with them. It's called Lady of the Manor and it's out and uh, I don't know, you know in the streamwhere everywhere. Yeah, platforms, platforms. Yeah, but we we love doing it. We can't wait to do another one. And those were always our favorite movies growing up, those Buddy Buddy comedies, which, in fact, I was thinking about what about Bob, Uh, I've been thinking about Gensling or knowing that I was going to do the show and the character I played on your show and I and I think that's why I loved Bill Murray and what about Bob so much? Was that he had a similar guy it's guy, it's Zoe's great words, guilelessness, like he was just kind of guileless.
Speaker 2: Uh, And and realized that movie is so good. I haven't thought about that in a long time. That movie Baby.
Speaker 4: Stepping to the Baby, So keep.
Speaker 2: Miss miss misunderstands baby.
Speaker 4: Yes, but I I but it's the it's the again. It's something that could have been very dark, that relationship between Richard Dreyfus and Bill Mury that was handled so beautifully by Frank. Cause I just love I love that movie. So that movie is always Yeah.
Speaker 2: That movie is so good. Richard Little Things, Well, that character that Richard Drivers plays is kind of like the lead character but then he's in he's like a narcissist character. And then this like super sweet guy who's like innocent in a lot of ways but also like but also stable, and he's stalking yeah yeah somehow, but he wins over the entire family.
Speaker 4: Spoiler sorry, Lamour, you gotta see that movie. But it's also you haven't seen it?
Speaker 2: What you have to see this movie? It's no, it's called what About Bob?
Speaker 1: What About Bob? With Bill Murray? Like Bill Murray? What's he doing?
Speaker 4: Oh? If you like Bill Murray, lamar, you'll really love it. But it's also.
Speaker 2: Although do you ever go back and much those like eighties comedies and be like, oh, that doesn't hold up very I need let me go back and watch have you watched it recently?
Speaker 4: Like how oh yeah, I watch it all the time. It holds well.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they don't hold up, but they're also like not.
Speaker 5: Okay, problematic the nerds.
Speaker 1: I haven't watched Drugging, druggon people.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, dark, it's dark? What is it? Six sixteen? Candle Candles and Pretty and Pink Oh yeah, those movies. Oh my god. Oh really there's so much problematic stuff. I think it's sixteen candles, Yeah, sixteen candles.
Speaker 1: She sneaks in a room and hooks up it's someone and she thinks it's someone else or something.
Speaker 2: You know. So the one guy who's like the lead guy who you're supposed to like, says to Anthony Michael Hall like this was on TV or somehow. I was like, oh, let me watch that movie again, and I was like, oh my god. So he's like he's going out with this girl who's kind of shallow, and then he's like, she gets really drunk. She's passed out in this car. And then the lead guy whose name I forgot, Jake Ryan, I think, just like the guy and he says, like Anthony Michael Hall character, he hands him the keys and it's like you take her, do what you want with her or something like that.
Speaker 4: Maybe he met like put her to bed and like to give her some water.
Speaker 2: The next day they wake up together and then she's like what happened And he's like like I can't remember, but she's like I think I liked it or something like that. It's so oh my god, not to say problematic, like.
Speaker 1: Of that caliber from back in those days. Would to change some of them? Would that be the movie you'd remake or would you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they're like, I think we're due for some good team movies because again, like all the ones from the eighties are racist and problematic in various ways like either rape or racist or both, so ours we don't want. So maybe we're due for some more teen movies that we can feel okay showing darkest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, I haven't seen those movies in a long time. I hadn't seen The Jerk in a long ever. I hadn't I had not seen The Jerk, and it had been a movie that people that I really admired were like, you know, strongly recommended, and so I got to see that a couple of years ago, and I just I fell in love with that. I mean, there's some like there's racial humor in it, but it's it's at his expense. It feels like, you know, some of that stuff seems like if you looked at it through a very macro lens, it should you know, it could be problematic. But I think some of that stuff, if it was done properly, and by that I mean not not in danger of hurting anyone or alienating all.
Speaker 2: Oh god, Yeah, the character is probably like, it's funny because that that was one of the things that has been brought to our you know, not brought to our attention, but like people are like, how are you guys going to talk about the way Schmidt talks, which is on an episodic basis problem?
Speaker 4: Oh really in that that's a good question. Have there been things on the show that through a new lens you've had to re kind of explain or apologize for.
Speaker 1: Well, you had to, you know, there was a lot of even when it happened, a lot of explaining for me on that It was a crack episode where his character is he thinks that the best way to get to my heart is to.
Speaker 4: Get out of here, and.
Speaker 1: What is it to take me to to find crack?
Speaker 2: I don't remember this. I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I'm not joking because he's like asking me, like, what was it like living in the hood and all this Rollo the clown was our dealer?
Speaker 4: Wait, Lamurna, are you seriously? And what about how did Schmid talk?
Speaker 2: That was like but also a lot of yeah, there's there's so much Schmid. But the thing is we did establish that he's a douchebag from them and it was self deprecating.
Speaker 1: It was self deprecating. It was it was. It wasn't offensive to me because it was it happens. People are like that, people like he would talk differently to you, yeah, and he would like, you know, he wanted me to feel welcome and more included. So he was like, I want you to feel warm around me. So I'm going to take you to get some crack.
Speaker 2: Because I don't remember this because what was this in Lauren?
Speaker 1: I don't remember Joel, if we could figure that out, it was the episode it was it was I forget what it was, but I was. I was messing with him. I was like, yeah, Schmidt, you know when I was a kid, we used to we used to, you know, huddle up around the fire and like sing songs in a trash barrel, a trash can fire, and we would sing songs and then we would warm up to some nice, sweet crack. And he was like, see, I'm gonna get you some crack, man, like I'm going to catch crack.
Speaker 4: But isn't then the joke on on Schmidt, I mean, isn't isn't it his own ignorance?
Speaker 1: And exactly that's what I was saying that's why I find it offensive because there are pea like that. Yeah, and every moment that Schmid had on the show where it may have been looked at with a cringe look, was a teachable moment for him because if you rise the show and is the way his character evolves, he is not that character in the end, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally. And that is so great about the David Brank character and the Michael Scott character on the Office or Archie Bunker, is that you know it it reveals their own shortcomings, their own pre judices or biases that that are laughable, you know, if they're examined properly and you know, comedically. So I got I I didn't even know, but I know that everything is now being relooked, relooked at and rightly. So I think people are kind of doing a deep dive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's just it's interesting just to look through a twenty twenty two lens and thing like, would we portray that character that way as a comment on people like that, or would there be you know, I mean, it wasn't up to me because I wasn't writing it, but yeah, or you know, or acting it. But you know, it's it's like there's people like that in the mix, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's the reason why I love All in the Family is because that's one of my favorite shows, is because you know, he's clearly telling on himself, and the audience is in on this and their characters around him that are letting him know, Bro, this is not this is not how we behave. It's not what you're have to be doing, like what and now?
Speaker 4: And I think I hope society is progressing to the point where we like it did during All in the Family time, where whoever is taking that at face value and enjoying it at face value and and doesn't see the irony in those jokes. I'm hoping eventually they'll just they'll I hate to say it, I they'll just die out. I mean they'll just die, like that way of thinking will die, and that kind of prejudice will That's I guess the hope. I don't know, Maybe that's too maybe that's too positive Genslinger way of like, I.
Speaker 1: Hope that idea dies out. Hope they just hope they learn. I hope they the.
Speaker 2: Develop the awareness.
Speaker 4: A lot of people don't grow, they don't a lot, especially if you're of a certain age. I mean, you know, I struggle with this sometimes. I'm not saying this is what we're talking about with my parents, but but you know, people were of a certain age, they're kind of setting their ways to this is this ageist? Am I being agist? Yes you are, Yes I am. I'm gonna pull up. I'm going to bail out of this theory that I had.
Speaker 1: It is episode twelve Cabin. Yeah, that's the episode, oh.
Speaker 2: Cabin, I remember, because that was we had Olivia mon on that one. And that's right, David Walton, where we all go to a cabin.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, you go to a cabin and do crack justin so, yes, you're on our podcast and and and wherever so grateful I've done your podcast, has ever done your podcast?
Speaker 2: Ever? So grateful?
Speaker 1: Tell us about your podcast, man, how did it come about? Tell us how you liking it, how you.
Speaker 2: Love been doing it a long time?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it's been a couple of years now. Well thanks.
Speaker 2: You invented podcasts, right, yes, uh, the first.
Speaker 4: One, uh huh, I know before Joe even Yes, but I came up with the word. He said we should call it voice casting, and I said, what about but like when we do it, we're in kind of a pod a little and he's.
Speaker 2: A little baby pod. And he was like, nah, I'm out.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm too tough for that, not Joe. So I stayed in my little pod to do the show.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: We know, my my brother and I we do it, of course wondering as you can see. But my brother and I've been doing it mostly out of just where I live. I mean we do it. We have a little kind of a closet studio.
Speaker 2: And you guys live together.
Speaker 4: We live together. He's getting he's moving out, sadly.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 4: We spend the whole Oh it was the best. I mean we're, you know, best friends and really love each other so and laugh a lot. So it's basically just us getting to hang out and laugh and we he that we do the intro and the outro for the guests, and then we have a guest on that I I have a conversation with, and and then Christian kind of my brother. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't meet your brother at all, so he didn't exist.
Speaker 4: No, No, I know, he's like the voice. I don't even know him, the Voice of God. He'll he'll he'll like, critique are not.
Speaker 2: You can critique me?
Speaker 4: Not you he'll he'll. He's very honest with me, but he's.
Speaker 2: Kind of judge me.
Speaker 4: No, he will judge me, and that's kind of part of the fun. And because we're very honest with each other and we've been doing it for a couple of year. We just love it. God life is short, and I love it. I've always loved doing podcasts because, as you can hear, I like to talk and I'm curious about people. I like, I like talking to people. And it's been such a blessing during the pandemic, of course, because you know, I just we just weren't going out and so it was a way to like lo mor than when you were on. It was a perfect example of this, like just to catch up with people that you don't normally get to talk to, people that you like from your life. So Jake Max was.
Speaker 1: On Worst Mass Max Max Greenfield, No, No, we're.
Speaker 4: Worst guest we've had. We've been really so I think now that's always been on. And you know, once Hannahson, we'll have the whole we'll have collected all the cast members.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna so on days where we get lazy, all we have to do is just pull from your your podcast on our podcast episode.
Speaker 4: Well, I yes, uh and I got I love. I just love to talking about this show. This was such a that was such a fun job. And it's it's a job your show that keeps coming.
Speaker 2: Up, Justine. The episode that makes me laugh so much. I just have to mention this where we do the musical at the end with Josh Gad with Josh, Yeah, that one somebody somebody sent or like it was like in my mentions on Instagram like the other day and I was like, oh this is so I was like, oh, I forgot about this is so fun.
Speaker 4: Well it was Wolf. Remind me it was like something wolf.
Speaker 2: You're a gay wolf again, You're a gay wolf who knows, but no one understood you.
Speaker 4: You were misunderstood, of right, a gay wolf and wolf is a word that I can't really say properly. So it's always and Josh.
Speaker 2: Dad's doing a show called Wolf like me, So cha the poster.
Speaker 4: Wolf like me?
Speaker 2: I think maybe is it was it you that was the wolf or was it Josh.
Speaker 4: I don't remember. I was just talking about Josh Yad with uh, at work yesterday because we were talking about Curby Your Enthusiasm episode from this year where Josh plays a guy who wears like tattered underwear. Have you seen have you seen this? And Larry Josh he's playing a doctor. He's really funn he's playing a doctor. Or and Larry he bends over to pick something up and Larry notices that he has like kind of holes tattered underwear.
Speaker 2: And Josh was the gay wolf.
Speaker 4: Gay Josh was the gay wolf. Yeah, anyway, we're talking about because Vince vond calls it. But I'm working with Vince Vaughn now and he so he's been his voice has been in my head, has been around. He's just been around. And he on the on curb he calls he refers to the underwear as being He goes, well, I suppose it was a little rustic. He goes a rustic like the idea of old tattered under rustick. I guess, I guess it was a little rustic.
Speaker 1: So justin thank you, thank you very much for being a part of this podcast. We're not going to let you off the hot seat just yet. Oh no, we're not. We're not going to let you off the hot seat.
Speaker 4: I don't want to go. I have nothing to do.
Speaker 2: We're having too much fun.
Speaker 4: I know this is fun.
Speaker 1: So what we're gonna do is we're gonna play a little game.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's a game called Nick's Box.
Speaker 1: It starts with you slowly taking your shirt off for the fans out there and.
Speaker 2: Listen, and then slowly leaving, slowly leaving, put the shirt on, and then quickly leaving.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, I leave twice.
Speaker 1: Get you leave twice?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, because first you have to leave as slowly as possible to.
Speaker 4: Leave, okay, all right, and then you have to.
Speaker 2: Hit your foot on the door, make it your head.
Speaker 4: I haven't done that bit since because I'm afraid now and it's my I'm gonna show bro.
Speaker 1: I haven't sat on the couch since. So there.
Speaker 2: Oh wow only sectionals only sections.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the segment where we crawl into the back of Nick's closet and we pull out the memories that the cast and crew of New Girl have kept hidden for years for obvious reasons. Justin long, what's your favorite memory from your time working on New Girl?
Speaker 4: Oh? Man, you know it's got to be. I mean, we talked about it that it's got to be that sex. That it's weird to called a sex scene, a scene, a love erotic love scene. I I just remember laughing so much that day. Uh and and it was so weird and it was just so weird and fun to like commit to. I love that, you know, there were moments I actually felt bad there. I love playing around Lamurn with you and Max and Jake so much that I remember trying to stretch out scenes that were meant to just be filler scenes, you know, like yeah, like Zoe, I remember we had one way I basically just go to pick you up. It's like the scene is just like it's meant to get from like you got you in the room to like us on a date or whatever. And it's just me at the door being like let's go, and I the three of you more and Max and Jake were behind like there were you were in the background on the couch when you used to sit on couches, and and I remember kind of like leading around Zoe because I was like, are you ready to go? And she said yeah, and then just say hi to you guys.
Speaker 2: You made a lot of bits that were like that weren't in the script that that became like recurring bits that you just carried through, like you every time you'd see the guys trying to impress them. It was almost at a certain point like you liked them more than you were like trying to impress them. Yeah, it was great how you'd carry those through. Well, it's real commitment.
Speaker 4: To something that would that is in an unprofessional way because it's something that you knew wouldn't be used. As someone who had been doing the show.
Speaker 2: Long, well, we knew a lot of it was gonna get gone.
Speaker 4: Yes, And and the indulgent part that I do have some regrets about was that I should have known that too. And there's something I'm a guest star. I'm like, I'm coming in just to like, you know, for a limited time and it's your show and and I but it was it only because I loved playing around, uh with with you guys so much that But I remember, Zoe, you started at one point you started kind of like kind of opening the door more than you opened the door less, so like reveal I'm going to see them to throw lines of them.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. I was messing with you back so but we always enjoyed having you on the shows. It was so much fun and we knew that we would have a great time. Yeah, when you were around bringing the funny.
Speaker 1: Oh man, A lot of folks are calling for a reboot and they don't give a god damn about any of the other characters.
Speaker 2: But you only they just want to see Paul.
Speaker 4: Well, if if Liz is listening, Mary, whether we should do a spin off and then you guys could guest star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we're the ones who are going to have to like curve bares, break our toes. Oh no, it would be improvisations.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, But to get back at me, you won't.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I it's it's a it's a show that comes up all the time. Obviously it's so popular and but but whenever people come up to me about it mention it, they always seem so sweet. They seem like good, like nice people, you know, But I know that.
Speaker 2: Are the best, the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I always enjoy them. I enjoy those interactions so much. So if you're listening and you see that, you see the gens out on the town, say what's up? Yeah? I loved it, And you guys were so fun to work with, so it's fun to talk about.
Speaker 1: And the fans out there love you. They love you so much. I love you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being on our show.
Speaker 4: You guys, thanks for having me. But I got to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we so appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Tell Hannah sorry.
Speaker 1: I just Hana.
Speaker 4: Will you read it forbade him?
Speaker 1: Well, it's a photo, it's a do you want me to shall use the photo?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see.
Speaker 1: Just sent this photo.
Speaker 2: Oh it's a middle middle finger.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why she did that.
Speaker 4: I'm calling her right now. She may have changed her number. Hello, where the f are you? Hi?
Speaker 3: Kind of got really shut out of the podcast today, and then my feelings are a little hurt.
Speaker 4: Oh well, a lot of hurt feelings because my feelings were hurt that you weren't here, and I I've got paranoid that it may have been something that I did. And then Lamar made a joke and I didn't know if he was being serious about Wasn't the joke so bad?
Speaker 3: That's just whole sense of humor is making people feel like everybody hates them.
Speaker 2: Zoe waiting, We're on Wait can you hear me?
Speaker 4: She can't hear Zoe Yeah.
Speaker 2: We asked if you wanted to be on, and you were like if it's additive, and we're like up to you. And then I thought you were going to be on, and then you weren't on, and so we're like, Okay, I guess what that was. Hannah, were really hurting too many cooks, that's the vibe.
Speaker 1: Text was like, oh, I guess because it's too much.
Speaker 4: Yes, this is why texting sometimes doesn't work, because the tone. This is why emoji's coming handy to create a tone. Well, listen, you are on the show now, So problem solved.
Speaker 2: Well I thought I thought it. I thought it would give us the opportunity to have episodes off, like when Hannah interviews Steven Emmel or whatever. Yes, I don't have to be.
Speaker 4: Here, Zoe's saying she thought, give you an opportunity to have you guys could like take episodes off and not I'll have to be on the same time. I'm gonna But Hannah, it's so nice to hear your voice. I missed you in this chat. It was so fun, but it's so fun talking about the show. I missed you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well maybe I'll come on your podcast and we'll talk about it.
Speaker 4: There, let's do let's do it truly, because I was just saying, I've had everyone on uh life a short except for you. So I'm gonna I'm gonna text you and figure out a date. Perfect. That would be great. Thanks pal. Okay, all right your voice okay, bye, thank you.
Speaker 2: Now, we know, thank you for being here.
Speaker 1: He hey heyn.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, just just yeah, you're on.
Speaker 1: You're on the podcast right now. Justin hung up and said, oh my god, I'm so glad she wasn't a part of this. And I was like, yo, what do you guys have a history or something because you.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad she was a part of this.
Speaker 1: Oh thought I heard you wrong.
Speaker 4: Well, you know I have a soft spot for Yeah, I like all Hannah's because my my pet this is quirky. Are like family pet growing up was a rabbit named Hannah. Yes, and even more quirky when Hannah passed away. We had it for for a long time. When Hannah the rabbit passed away, I went to the pet store to get another rabbit and I picked one out like like the smallest one, the runt of the litter, because I identified because I was the shortest and smallest and and I took it home and it started hopping around in a strange way, like its front paws were kind of splayed out. And I I picked it up, and I looked underneath it, and I realized it had no hind legs. It just had little not nubs, little like little snubs and and and so I took it back to the pet store and the guy, the kind of surly pet store owner was I. I said, sir, there's no I'm twelve years old. I was like, this's no. This rabbit has no legs and has no feet. And uh. He said, ah, all right, put uh, you'd pick out another one and he and he took it and he tossed it in a separate tank. Then the other one's a separacation. And I said, well, what's going to happen to that rabbit? And he said one of the pythons is going to get lucky? And yeah, So of course, you know, my little animal loving heart was I couldn't let this thing be eaten by pi. That's so I said, wow, okay, I'll I'll take it. I said, well, but can you knock off? Can I get like a discount or something? He said, I'll take five bus, I'll take five, but no five bucks. And at the time, I was like a twenty dollars, twenty five dollars rabbit, and so he gave five dollars off and I had and I called him Nubs and I had that rabbit. I took it to college. I had it like all throughout my freshman year. It lived for quite some time. For a rabbit with no feet, it lived. So that's kind of a Genslinger story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, she didn't want to be on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, were you guys? I have to go.
Speaker 4: You gotta go, Zoe, Thank you, Thank.
Speaker 2: You so much. I love you guys.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Just think for being on and thanks for having me on your show too.
Speaker 4: Thanks for being on, Thanks for being on, and thanks for having me. Love you guys. Miss you, guys.
Speaker 2: Ye, yes, you've been listening to Welcome to Our Show, a New Girl recap podcast. Welcome to Our Show is a production of iHeartRadio, hosted by Zoe Deschanel Lamar and Morris and Hannah Simone. Our executive producer is Joel Mooney. Our engineer and editor is Daniel Goodman. The Welcome to Our Show theme song was written by Zoe de Chanel, performed and produced by Zoe da Channel and Pierre de Reader. Follow us on Instagram at Welcome to Our Show Pod. If you have a question you'd like us to answer, you can email us at Welcome to Our Show Podcast at gmail dot com. Don't forget to rate, subscribe, and share far and wide. Thanks for listening. We'll hear you next week.