Speaker 1: In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. Welcome back to another episode of In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams, and I am so excited to be back. I don't know about you, guys, but I've been having a little bit of an Olympic hangover. I've been staying up late watching every single sport, track and field, seeing Shakiri win her first silver, gymnastics Mombiles, how can you not love her? And of course Kate Ladecki, She's been dominating the goat of swimming. But we're gonna dive into USA basketball. Who has won fifty eight in a row? Could it be time for a roster change? Plus, Paige Becker's is the latest athlete to sign to the unrivaled Basketball League. What does it mean for the college game? And later we're going to talk about the second half of the WNBA season, the Rookie of the Year race, and some title predictions. Here with me this week to break it all down is basketball analyst and co host of The Dunker Spot Nikayas Duncan. Nikaias Thank you so much for being here this week with me.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. I am honored to be hon with the Christina Williams so just excited to have fun and talk to basketball.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 1: You're one of the greatest basketball minds out here, so I salute to you. But let's dive into USA basketball. So they won over the weekend. They defeated Germany by nineteen points, and we'll head to the Metal Rounds and will face Nigeria on Wednesday. Now, lots to talk about in this game, Lots like I want to dive all the way into it, but breakout performance from Jackie Young, who finished with a team's best nineteen points. She had four steels. She's pretty efficient from three in from the field. What stood out to you about this game?
Speaker 2: I think it has to start with Jackie Young. I think her minutes have been something that I've been tracking since the Showcase games and early on in the Olympic play. A lot of guards and a lot of wings on this roster, and so Jackie kind of being one of the last players to kind of enter in like mid lake second quarter was interesting to me as someone who is obviously a really good basketball player, but more importantly, can defend at a high level, can drive at a high level, cad shoot at high level. So just kind of wondering when she was going to get consistent run and this third game happened to be it, and she made her impact immediately. Like you saw the point of attack defense, you saw the screen navigation, you saw some of the early drives and pull ups, you saw the three point shooting, and she just kind of worked as a connector and a tone setter on both ends of the floor.
Speaker 1: I absolutely agree with that because I think that to set the tone, Germany came out punching right like Leoni Fibitch. She set the tone with that three and then they were aggressive from the start, but it took USA a little bit to get going, and it was Jackie Young in that second quarter who really kind of changed the momentum for Team USA.
Speaker 2: It just kind of showcases that she wants. She can't slide into any role you need her to. You obviously know HER's the star and the starter with the aces with this Olympic group. She can't come in with the second unit and just inject life when they need it. But to your point, Germany did come out early something I've been enjoying with Team Germany and with Satu Sobdi in particular. She looks so much more comfortable flowing in the pull up threes. That is a terrifying thought. We saw her have her best three point shooting season of her career last year with Dallas. Haven't seen her in the w this year she would cover from injury, but with Germany, you see the drives coming back. She's been stout defensively and the three point shooting is really pop.
Speaker 1: And we know that there's going to be some sort of adjustment period for Sato, who's returning from an injury. She missed the first half of the w NBA season, so really we're seeing her slowly get back into the groove of things, and you know, there was a little fatigue at some points. We saw her and different sports go in and out of the game, but she was really that anger for Germany. Leoni Feevich she had a really solid game for Germany as well and went down after a collision with Elyssa Thomas.
Speaker 3: Miles.
Speaker 1: Erlick at Weinsider reported she's going to be okay, and you know, so she's gonna be okay, but Alexis Peterson as well for Germany. How can you not talk about her and what she brung in terms of just really facilitating the offense and just being, you know, that fire starter for Germany. But back to Team USA, the backcourt has seen a little bit of struggles in terms of consistency getting off of those slow starts. How do they get over that hump?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: People across social media have been suggesting maybe Cheryl Reeve could consider a roster switch up to help them get over this hump. And we saw in the game over the weekend how she utilized Sabrinnan and rescue jew Lloyd and didn't play Chelsea Gray Diana Tarazzi in the second half of the game against Germany, and we saw it actually worked out beneficially for Team USA to make those different lineup changes. People have also been suggested maybe the Fisa Collier, she's starting at the three, and why don't you insert Alyssa Thomas into that starting lineup who can defend and play a little bit better at the three perc Maybe Khalia Copper who has been seeing not a lot of minutes. Alyssa Thomas finished with the team's best plus twenty nine in that game against Germany. They don't call her for the engine for nothing, right, Like, she really set the tone and did things that you don't necessarily see in the box score.
Speaker 3: We know that Alissa she's.
Speaker 1: Quick, she can defend, she can facilitate an offense. She's interchangeable. When we talk about her style of play, you know, maybe shel Reeve can make the Feasta come out in the second unit. What are your thoughts about that?
Speaker 2: I guess for me, it just depends on what Team USA is looking for, because I think it's easy to point to the guards as Chelsea's got some games under her belt now she recovered from her own injury, but she still isn't peak Chelsea Gray yet. Diana Tarrossi obviously an elder statesman of this roster, one of the greatest ever. But if you just look at the minute distribution of those two, like we haven't seen a high minute game from Chelsea yet, and with Diana Tarrossi, we haven't seen a high minute game with her either. Like it seems like rotation wise, it's very much been y'all are obviously starting, but you're gonna get this opening stretch of the first quarter, you're gonna get this opening stretch the third quarter and we can just kind of mix and match from there. So before even digging deeper into that, I'll one quote the great Don Staley A she say, Hey, it's not easy to make these lineup decisions. They haven't had a ton of time together and so these games they obviously want to qualify the metal rounds and things like that, but they're trying to figure out what are the best combinations, what are our best lineups? When do we want to go to those lineups. So it's a lot to try to figure out in basically two weeks time if that, And so I think there is just a level of grace that needs to be given on that front. But as it pertains to the minute distribution and stuff, I think if you're going to make a starting lineup change, like it's probably easier to do it with Diana to ROSSI I wonder if they even want to do that one just for what Diana means two team you'll say this is I think it's gonna be her last Olympic run, so you don't want it to take her out. But because she's getting like first five to six minutes of the first first five to six minutes of the third, and that's just kind of it. If you do move her to the second unit, I think you are now flowing into the conversation of Okay, are we playing her or Kelsey? Are we playing her?
Speaker 4: Or Jackie?
Speaker 2: Are you playing her or Ca? And I think if she isn't starting and she isn't getting those minutes, it becomes easier to not play her altogether, which in a pure basketball point of view, like you could make a case for that as we just have a bunch of talented guards and wings on Team USA. You fat during all of the other stuff, I don't think they want to press that button.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that Team USA. Yes they have slow starts. Yes they've been struggling from three, But it's all, as you said, in building that chemistry, figuring out what lineups work, how they play together, the gelling of it all. But yeah, I'm not questioning Cheryl Reeves's decisions as a coach. She's one of the most winning best coaches and women's basketball history. She definitely knows what she's doing. But Asia Wilson and Branda stewart Man, that duo has been playing off the chain. So today Team USA they play Nigeria, who qualified for the Metal Rounds for the first time in history. I believe and I think that that's an underrated team. This is a team that's been through a lot in terms of overcoming adversity. What stands out to you about this Nigerian team and how can Team USA continue on their winning streak.
Speaker 2: I think one with Jigeria, they are really aggressive defensively, So I would just say if we're going back to like nitpicks with Team USA, like the turnovers can get a little hazy for them, and Nigeria's are very, very very aggressive defensive team. They will pick you up half court. They're super physical off the ball, So if you're getting frustrated coming off of screens and you're getting into cheap offensive files, that could be a problem. Ultimately, Nigeria can really turn you over. Even going back to their recent game against Canada, Canada had twenty six turnovers in that game. Nigeria had sixteen steals in.
Speaker 4: That basketball game.
Speaker 2: So if TM USA doesn't take care of the ball, this can't turn into a track meet, and ultimately team you can end up in the fight that they don't want to be in.
Speaker 1: I think to me what stood out about TMUSA through the first couple games is that their best when they're in transition. They're their best when they play the inside outside game. Obviously, we see that they've been struggling from three, but the front court and TEAMUS say so strong. Although the back court has been struggling a little bit to just be consistent in terms of the offense and when they move the ball, though, I think that they play well. And actually a few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to speak to Alyssa Thomas while I was in Phoenix, a w NBA All Star, about what it means to play for Team USA and the standard and the mentality going into the games. Take a listen to what she had to say.
Speaker 5: I think we know what we're here for. It's the standard to win a gold medal. At the same time, got a lot of teams coming after us, and we know we're gonna get everyone's best game. And for us, I think we have to approach every game like it's the gold medal game and give everyone, what you know, our best shot as well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I absolutely love what Alyssa Thomas said because she understands the mentality coming into these games. The USA has a target on their back because they are the most one of the most winningest teams, and we talk about, you know, the Olympics and wanting to win, and so these team are not going to make it easy for Team USA. What are your thoughts about what she had to say.
Speaker 2: I think she nailed it, And like, obviously as someone that's in a whole bunch of Aces pressers, like it's similar to what Age Wilson's had to say this year, what Kelsey said Chelsea Jackie on down the line, like we're kind of the hunted right now. We know we're gonna get everyone's best shot. And so as we talked a little bit earlier about just to collect the chemistry of you know, some of the aces playing together. You got multiple liberty players on the roster, You have multiple Mercury players on the roster, but all have been tested either in a championship way on the W side or in Olympic player already, so they already kind of have the understanding of what's coming for them. But it's not enough to know, like you still have to put you know, action to word, et cetera. And come out with the appropriated level of urgency and attention to detail and so you know, tying it back into the taking care of the ball portion, make sure they're getting to their offensive in a fluid way. They have to nail those little things because once you get into play like this, you've set it up top. Like I think this is the first like metal opportunity for Nigeria. Not only do they want to play Team USA, they are somewhere, they're playing with house money, Like this is a greater consent for them already. Yeah, you have to bring it on you're facing a situation like that.
Speaker 1: So we talked about roster changes and what combinations of players would work the best. I'm curious if you had to pick five players to start for Team USA or players that you would kind of change in a roster, what would your five be?
Speaker 2: Ooh we I think just looking at Team USA start lineup right now, again, like I think there is room to swap out Sabrina for Diana, or I guess vice versa, swapping out Diana for Sabrina, just to make the easy sign up change in terms of just what my favorite five is right now, Like going back to the Germany game, like, they rolled out Kelsey Plumb, Jackie Young, Breonna Stewart, a list of Thomas and Asian Wilson, and at that point, like, what do you do? I think Kelsey's defense has been good so far throughout the tournament. Asia, Stewie and at are three of the best.
Speaker 4: Defenders in the world.
Speaker 3: I like that combination too.
Speaker 1: You just named the all of the players essentially outside of Chelsea Gray and that lineup, and I think that because they have that chemistry, it automatically clicks. And obviously Branda Stewart, Alyssa Thomas, I mean Alyssa brink because she springs. They call her the engine for a reason. She sets the tone, especially defensively, and does a little bit of everything on the floor. But then Brianda's Stewart. She's a champion, she's a gold medalist, She's won at every level. She has that chemistry with Asia Wilson, And you know, I think that the chemistry and experience of that core group that you just said is one of my favorites as well. This is a team that's interchangeable. I mean everyone is kind of bought in and knowing that it's not about the minutes you play, but it's making the most of the minutes that you have when you're on the floor and just doing what Team USA has brought you in to do. I spoke to Kelsey Plump prior to her coming to Paris and the Olympics, and she said, you know, I know that what I do in the WNBA won't necessarily be what they need me to do on Team USA, and so I just have to be willing to adapt and change and adjust on the fly to do what's needed to do for the ultimate goal of winning a gold medal. And so I think all these players know at the end of the day what the end goal is. And so I'm excited to see this matchup against Nigeria.
Speaker 2: It should be a fun one. It should be a fun one.
Speaker 1: Looking at some of the other matchups, you have Serbia going against Australia, you have Spain going against Belgium, Germany against France. Is there any team that's in these metal rounds that you feel like is underrated, like a sleeper team?
Speaker 2: I guess if we're going sleeper is probably Australia, especially since they're on USA's side of the brackets. If they are of the beat in Nigeria, we see what happens in the Serbia Australia matchup, I guess that will probably be the closest one to a sleeper for me. But even then, if you're looking at Zie Matt mcgory, you're looking at Atlanta Smith, Sammy wibbcoms coming off a tremendous game like they have W high level, w talented that and so as we talk about some of the things that may have bothered Team USA so far, like collective size and activity defensively like Australia can provide like that, if Tim Yosa doesn't get three point shots to go, Australia will get them up so that you do have the variance thing get play there. So I guess Australia would probably be the sleeper for me. Just the entire other side of the bracket is terrifying. Megan Gusterson's been incredible for Spain Belgium with Belgia's been really good friends with Gaby Williams. I miss watching her in the w She has been insane defensively, just been insane this entire tournament. So if tim Yosa is able to make it through these first two matchups. Whoever they facing the gold medal game is going to be a tough matchup for him.
Speaker 1: Australia, yes they have Atlanta Smith, they have Asie, but they have someone sitting on the benches, a legend and Lauren Jackson who hasn't been getting played yet. And that's like the secret weapon right there. You talk about size and length, lawd Jackson is a legend and she's still going strong and playing at efficient level. Could you just imagine that, like Australia going up against Tim USA and you got Lauren Jackson just chilling on the bench like your secret weapon, like a just in case an emergency button, Like just throw her in there in the mix and just you know, switch things up for Team USA.
Speaker 2: Hey man, mid second quarter, that second unit with Britney Griner, now here comes Lauren Jackson.
Speaker 4: It's like, hey, wait a minute, oh.
Speaker 2: Gee, how about this?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: So we're gonna take a quick break. When we return, we're gonna talk all things unrivaled, So stay tuned. This is in case you missed it with Christina Williams. Welcome back to In case you missed it with Christina Williams. I'm here with Women's basketball analysts and co host of the Dunkers Spot podcast nikaias Duncan, and.
Speaker 3: We're going to get into Unrivaled.
Speaker 1: Page Beckers is the latest athlete to sign to the three x three league co founded by Brandish Stewart and the FISA Collier. First of all, what was your reaction when the news dropped that Paige Beckers would be the latest athlete to sign to Unrivaled.
Speaker 2: My first thought was, this is one heck of a week for Page as you get Unrivaled and also the U announcement, It's like, Yo, this is pretty darn cool for her, and like as someone that enjoys Yukon's women's basketball, just like the injuries that she's had to deal with where she's worked her way back to still being a dominant player, for her to continue to get these opportunities, it think it's just really nice on a personal level. But no, I'm super happy for and excited to see what that's gonna look like. Because my secondary thought was, I know Unrivaled launches in twenty twenty five. Yes, it launches in January. I don't think the season's over yet.
Speaker 3: So I'll break that down for you.
Speaker 1: So, Paige will not actually play in Unrivaled in twenty twenty five, so the deal that she signed is an NIL deal, and according to my sources, Unrivaled is also looking to sign more college athletes as well for an NIL campaign. She will play in unrival but it won't be next year. It'll probably be the following year in twenty twenty six, when she is a w NBA player. However, through this Unrivaled Basketball League, it was reported that you know, she'll still get equity into the league. She's gonna be the first college athlete to get equity into the league. We know that these players are gonna make on average quarter million dollars. There'll be like a seven point five million dollar cap for the thirty players. So this is a great opportunity. And to your point, I think that when we talk about the NIL era and athletes benefiting from name, image likeness, Paige Becker's and women's college basketball. She was the first player to sign man and women to Gatorade. Coming out of high school. She was the most hype. She was on the cover Slam, So Paige Becker's I think that people are being reintroduced to her. Obviously, throughout her college season, she you know, had her ups and downs or became adversity with injuries, but you know, the final four with a Yukon team that was you know, halfway injured and her being able to get them to the final four this past year, I think that you know, people were like, remind me, let me introduce myself. My name is Page Beckers. I'm here, and so I'm excited for her ceiling. She's just killing it all around. So shout out to Pagebeckers. But what excites you the most about, you know, this three x three league?
Speaker 2: I think just the overall star power is going to be exciting to me, Like I hope to get out there, so whenever they send out your creditionals and stuff, like hey, put my name on the list. But in all seriousness, I think just having another domestic league for the offseason so players don't have to travel, but having more state signed options I think is a positive. Like we've already seen that with athletes unlimited and now having another league with this kind of prize pool to where it's a different type of game and so for players that's thrive in more space, like it's another way for them to showcase their talents. To people that aren't watching women's basketball like that to be introduced, like, hey, wait a minute, Rique is crossing up everyone, let me follow her games.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: They're just collecting infinity stones with all of these roster signings you have, as I mean, can Asia Wilson be the next start a signed to unrival? I'm not reported this, y'all, but I think that possibly I would love to see Asia Wilson playing in a three x three format. We know how different it is from the five the five, and you see gold medalists like Jackie Young and Kelsey Plumb who you know are benefiting from that three x three format, and how they're playing in five to five, and just the difference of the formats I think excites me the most. But also just players controlling their own narrative when it comes to pay equity. We know that Vander Stewart is one of the players who've been at the forefront outspoken about these sort of issues and topics. So I love that instead of talking about it, let's be active participants in making this shit happen. Sorry excuse my friends, y'all, but making making it happen for the players and just setting setting the tone domestically for women's basketball. So I'm super excited to see all these players in the three x three format. I think that it's going to be great. We know the rules are a little bit different in half court play. You can't really hide anywhere, like you gotta you gotta play defense, you gotta be quick. So I'm excited about that. But what stands out to you most about Pagebacker's game and how do you think she potentially can benefit from playing an elite like this from a basketball standpoint and a skills standpoint in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: What stands out about her game? Like, she's a really quick decision maker. She is one of the best pull up shooters inside the yard that I have ever seen at any level of basketball. And so you're talking about a whole bunch of space, and then the three on three game you're seeing more switching. Generally, if you don't switch and chew up space, Page is just pulling and so one I think it'll highlight that aspect of her game. But I'll say nitpick again, that's just gonna be the word of the poker. But one of the nitpicks with Page on the college game is that she is one of the best three level scorers in basketball. She doesn't always look for her shot. She is very much a willing facilitator. I think in a three on three setting, she has to be more aggressive as a score and I think just having that mindset obviously you could turn it on, but having to do that more consistently, I think with both well for forward, I agree.
Speaker 1: I think that she's one of the best two wait guards that we see in college hoops right now. I'm excited to first of all, to see her play at the next level as when we look at that expansion draft next year and the year after, I think that, you know, a lot of teams can benefit from having someone like a Pagebackers on their team. I'm also excited to see if maybe Katelyn Clark will be interested in joining Unrifled Basketball League. I think that she's also a player that can benefit from playing in this style of basketball. What do you think would you want to see Katelin Clark in a three x three format?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: I want to see it? Yes, Will she want to do it? Is kind of where my brow raises, just because she's coming off you know, just this past year college straight into the draft, straight into the All Star Yeah, you were in Phoenix with me for All Stars. You saw how happy she was post game, Like, oh my goodness, only one more of these and I can finally go on vacation. She's very much ready to rest, and so I would imagine at least for this year coming up, she's going to enjoy her first like actual offseason. But I think at least in the short term, I don't think she does it skill wise, Absolutely she could fit. In terms of my personal interest, I would asolutely love to see it. I'm not expecting that until at least twenty six.
Speaker 3: All right, so we're gonna take a quick break. We come back.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about WNBA's second half of the season, and we have some predictions coming up. Welcome back to in case you missed it with Christina Williams, and I'm joined here by Nicias Duncan, who's helping me break down all of the latest headlines in women's basketball. Sonnicayas, it's been a lot of fun chatting with you. The second half of the WNBA season is right around the corner, and there's a lot to get into as teams looked for a postseason. Burke the New York Liberty. They're right at the top at number one in the standings. The Aces are making the client after inserving Chelsea great back into the lineup. The Minnesota Links, they've been the sleeper team of the season. No one could have ever predicted the outcome of the first half of the season for them. Despite many of their players having multiple stops in their careers and often being underrated, they have come together to form a team that cannot be denied. And Caylea McBride agrees. Listen to what she had to say about it. What do you attribute that to success too, and what can we expect going into the second half of the season.
Speaker 6: It's been amazing.
Speaker 7: Obviously winning helps, yeah, we know that, but as a collective, like I think since day one, everybody came as themselves.
Speaker 6: So everybody has their story.
Speaker 7: T Haideman was in Connecticut for five years, been to the finals. Courtney's bounced around, She's had an amazing success consistency throughout the league. Land came in, She's kind of bounced around a little bit too, kind of finding her way, finding her footing, and everybody kind of just came in as themselves. Obviously, Fie and I we have really a great bond on and off the court. We've been here for a while. You have Cheryl, We're coached by Hall of famers every day, Rebecca Bunch and Katie Smith. So we just have this group of like hoopers that enjoy being around each other. And it's been very very organic. We problem solved, we figured out, we push each other, we motivate each other, and it's just very organic. We have a lot of love for who we are just and approaching it every day, like as as ourselves and even our bench Chechi's in Zasini, Olivia and Poopa, Like everybody has their story, right, but when you're here with the links, like this is a safe space to be ourselves and go to work. And I think that that's been a testament to the first half of the season when the commissioner cup, you know.
Speaker 6: So I think that even though the adverse situations, when you have the.
Speaker 7: Hills and valleys of the season, which is it's hard, it's always gonna happen, play twenty five games in like six weeks, it feels like it feels like they's just like back to back, finding a way to still find the joy with each other and motivate each other and pick each other up. Has been really, really valuable for us. So obviously we have a time to reset right now. We want to hit the ground running too, you know. And I think that everybody has that same mindset, and we just want to be the best version of ourselves become the end of the season, and I think that we're in a good space to.
Speaker 6: Do that time. I'm from Minnesota basketball, right, like the.
Speaker 1: Timberwolves made their run, and obviously winning is embedded in the Minnesota Links culture. And why is it such an exciting time for basketball in Minnesota specifically?
Speaker 6: I mean it's just like a revamp too.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: Obviously they had the dynasty, the Miyam Moors, Mon Augustus.
Speaker 6: You know, and when so left, Fie and I, you know, we.
Speaker 7: Kind of had to take over that reign of like what's next along with share on the organization. But I think adding these pieces, it is just like it gives us new life energy.
Speaker 6: To see what we can do, you know, being the number three seed.
Speaker 7: Like I said when the commissioner cup, how far can we really take this thing? How much are we willing to give to each other to see what we can really do and so we're excited about that.
Speaker 6: Obviously, the Timberwolves.
Speaker 7: One get a couple of games finals is crazy, you know, So just exciting time to be in Minnesota and playing basketball.
Speaker 1: So, in your opinion going into the second half of this season, what is standing out to you the most?
Speaker 2: Obviously the Wings have not gotten off to a great start at all because of all the injuries that they had to deal with, But they aren't that far out of the eight spot. And so now you're inserting south to Sobly back into the lineup, like, do we see a second half push for them? A similar conversation with the Atlanta Dream as they've been injury riddled. Jordan Canada miss time, she got back in immediately got hurt again. Ryan Howard missed time and now Ryan's back, So like does Atlanta, who has been I think the worst offense in the w in terms of offensive rating with Ryan back in the fold, does the offense look better? Does the defense get more firm? Do they make a push? The Liberty have been elite on both ends of the ball. The Minnesota Links have been the big surprise because they have been an elite defense all year long and That's something that I had a big question about heading into the year. I knew the offense was gonna be really good, really versatile. I didn't know if the defense was gonna be good enough to make the offense pop. And you can argue the defense just been flat out better than the offense this year. And with the ass you can't count them out even if you want to.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: So look, when I spoke to Kelsey Plumb at All Star, I was interviewing her, she was like, it was the Liberty last year, So they are keeping receipts on like who's picking weird, Like they keep the receipts And it was so it was so hilarious because I didn't expect her to say that to me. She was like, you were I was like, no, I thought it was gonna go to five games, and you know, Liberty was looking good second half of the season. But I think the Liberty are looking great on both sides of the ball. They're starting to gail. Obviously, the starting five was very fluid and had that experience in playing together last year. Jonathan Cole, He's made a big switch up in free agency, got some players who were a little bit more into changeable Leoni Fevich, Ivana Duykch Nearisoboli, who's been having a solid year but then also riddled with some injuries. Benigulini Hamilton.
Speaker 3: She's had a.
Speaker 1: Surgery before the break and she's out what four to six weeks, and she should be coming back soon. So it's gonna be interested in the second half of the season to see how they can carry that momentum from the first half into the second half of the season. Sabrini and Nasku has been playing out of her mind, Like I'm gonna keep saying that to the ten tops.
Speaker 3: She's been playing.
Speaker 1: Some of her best basketball since she started playing in the WNBA. To me, she's a three level scorer now. She's more confident get into the basket. Yes, she's taking less three point shots. She's a little bit less efficient versus last season from three. But I just think that the way she's able to open up the floor for the other players, get more players involved on offense, that spurt when Courtney Banners Lute was out, how she was able to lead the liberty. I think she's playing more confidently, Like I mean, she was drafted at number one, so she's just coming into that. So I think that the Liberty, Yes, they will be in good hands. Could they be a playoff team? We know the WNBA regular season does not matter. It's all about the postseason. So I'm tracking. I guess what the second half of the season will look like for the Liberty. I think that the championship window with this team is just as small as the championship window is for teams like Connecticut as well in terms of keeping the core group together. In twenty twenty six, NBA is really not going to look the same as we see it today because literally everyone's going to be free agents, There's going to be a new CBA, just a lot of different moving parts, expansion drafts, and so I think that the window for this Liberty team is win now. We got we gotta win now. We have, you know, all of these all stars and champions and high level players. We gotta finish the deal. Bring the first you know, championship to the New York Liberty franchise. But I still think that the Aces are the team to beat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to beat them three times, like I've been on like some of the defensive Slippers this year. Obviously, roles have had to be adjusted while Chelsea was out Jackie Moore on ball, Kelsey More on ball, and stuff like that. Asian has just been the best player in the world regardless of.
Speaker 3: All this, like unstoppable.
Speaker 1: It's like mind blowing to just see her absolutely dominate and there's just no answer for Easan Wilson.
Speaker 2: There's nothing but like as Chelsea's come back and people are getting reoriented into their ideal roles. You saw what the stretch of play looked like heading into the break until that Chicago Sky loss. I was in the building for that one. Good Lord Kennedy Carter. But overall you to see that pocket time when Chelsea became a starter, It's like, Okay, they're now just beating teams by a million points in the minutes that Chelsea plays. A's just still ridiculous. Jackie Kelsey are now getting more catch and shoot threes instead of the pull ups, and so you're still starting to see the efficiency up tip with them, especially Kelsey. That's the three point shooting bounced back after the slow start.
Speaker 1: I absolutely agree with you, Nick hayas I think that Kelsey Plum has been, you know, a huge part to the LAS Vegas Aces turnaround, But you can't deny what Chelsea Gray has done for this team since her return from injury. She is and was that missing piece that helped them to start to gain a little bit more momentum. And Kelsey Plum broke it all down from me a couple of weeks ago in Benix.
Speaker 3: Listen to what she had to say.
Speaker 1: What can you say about this team right now, the Aces and how you've been able to face adversity and navigate through the season.
Speaker 6: It's tough. We kind of anytime.
Speaker 8: I've kind of said this before, but anytime you've taken it ingredient out of a cake, it's different. Everyone's trying to adjust. You take someone like Chelsea right up the cake. I was joking, but it's really real. Chelsea's like the sugar in the cake. So for a while there we just had cornbread and no one's used to that, right, So you know, we're all trying to adjust and and everything. And it was tough, right just because you're asking different people to play different roles. And even though it might seem a little bit insignificant, it's actually not. Because when Chelsea comes back into the lineup kind of puts everyone in their natural position, their natural role, which we've been doing for so long. So I think that that was kind of something that we had to get together. And I also think too, it's tough, man, when you win back to back, every time you play someone, they're coming to try to, you know, set the tone against you, right, and so yeah, there's been games where we should have won and we didn't play hard enough. You know, we didn't have the juice that they did. And it's tough. That's why no one's ever done it. But you know, it's just this, it's difficult. The league is continuing to get better. Everyone is so good. On any given night, anyone can be beat. And that's that's why I think you've seen a struggle a little bit. But however, we have a break right now. We're gonna go do what we need to do in Paris and come back and we'll be ready for the second half.
Speaker 2: You can shrug your shoulders at some of the stuff, you can highlight some of the stuff, but then you get in the playoff setting and it's four of the best twelve or thirteen players in the w on the same team, Like, you still have to deal with that Yeah, now you have Tiffany Hayes coming.
Speaker 4: Off the bench.
Speaker 1: Who only Becky Hammon could call up a retired Tiffany Hayes and get her out of retirement, six months into retirement, call her up and be like we need you, and you get Tiffany Hayes, who's ridiculous as well off the bench for the Aces and she's been doing great.
Speaker 3: And then three x three as well.
Speaker 1: I'm over at the Olympics in Paris, but yeah, I think the Aces are still a pretty scary team despite slow start to their season. Connecticut has also made moves ahead of the WNBA tradeline, adding a player like Marina Maybury who can shoot the three offloading some pieces as well getting some draft stock. How do you think the insertion of Marina Maybury is beneficial to Connecticut?
Speaker 2: They certainly need the three point shooting in terms of the efficiency, but they definitely need it in terms of the volume because ultimately, Rachel Bannham a bit of an up and down season as a three point shooter. So far, we know she can knock them down, but Maria Jefferson in and out the lineup, she can knock down threes for how many is she gonna take DJN Carrington getting more comfortable with the three point shot, but she hasn't shot that well this year, Ty Harris shooting well from three, But how many we s you'll take with Marina Maybury, whether she's coming off of screens or she's just flowing and pick and roll, she will get the shots up. And I think that has a level of inherent value that should bolster Connecticut's offense. And you think about the word that Marina does as a screener as well, like we saw it a lot in Chicago, setting across screens for Andel's post up, setting across screens for Camilla Cardoso host ups. I am really excited to watch her screen for a list of Thomas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm excited to see Marina Maybury and Stephanie White system, but also how she can be a compliment to Alyssa Thomas's style of play. And I spoke to Alyssa a few weeks ago in Phoenix about this added piece to the Connecticut Sun and how it could benefit of the team on their quest to win their first championship in Connecticut Sun franchise history.
Speaker 5: We have a lot of great players, of course, like I said, we had a great start to season, but we had a lot of holes, you know, at the end of the day where we're trying to win a championship, and you know, I think even being in second place, I think we still felt that, you know, we had some work to do to win a championship. And we go out and make a trade for Marina so they got three yes, which we know was something we needed.
Speaker 6: I think we.
Speaker 5: Sat tenth in three point shooting and yeah, that's not going to win a championship. So going out to get her, huge piece and huge competitor, and just super excited to have Aroun on our roster. So basically what you're saying is going to be scary hours. That can half of the season for Connecticut Son.
Speaker 1: I mean you said, so we know that the discussion between Angel Reaes and Caitlin Clark has been taking social media by storm. But a few weeks ago, prior to Team USA headed to Paris and Phoenix, I had a chance to sit down with some WNBA vets like Britney Griner and Diana Trozzi, and I really wanted to get their thoughts on the Rookie of the Year race and Angel Reese and Caitlyn Clark. Here's what they had to say about these two rookies and how they measure up. What do you think separates this rookie class from others?
Speaker 9: Those two specifically have Just what they brought in their first year as rookies has.
Speaker 6: Just been unbelievable.
Speaker 9: Obviously, what they did in college was you know, groundbreaking in a lot of ways, and to be able to see that and now into the WNBA, the future is just so bright for them for what they're going to do for their teams for this league.
Speaker 6: And I'll be following you.
Speaker 1: Are obviously a veteran in this league. Any advice for those two rookies as they look to make their debut this weekend.
Speaker 10: They've came into the league and we were seeing what they're doing, like it's translating, and you know, they're proving a lot of people wrong that had doubts. I don't know why they would even have doubts, but they're killing it and we're going to see We're going to see it for a while. You know, Lead's in a good place with them.
Speaker 3: Obviously.
Speaker 1: The Rookie of the Year race has been a topic of conversation and you know, I consider you a great basketball mind. So we look at angel Rees and Caitlyn Clark. You know, I think that you know their neck and neck, and obviously the second half of the season will determine who gets the award.
Speaker 3: What have you been seeing from both rookies that you like?
Speaker 2: Tracking the growth of Caitlyn Clark and Angelice has been a lot of fun. Now quick hat tip to my guy Steve Jones Jr. Who's been on this all year longest we've done the pot together.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but you've.
Speaker 2: Seen like the high turnover counts for Kaitlyn and like what it looked like early on in the season when teams like Connecticut or Seattle would blitz her and pick and roll. It was quick retreat. Let me pick up the ball, let me survey the field. The defense gets three set and sometimes Kaitlyn tossing the pass is getting picked off. Now you put two on the ball against Kaitlyn, she's getting the ball out immediately. Or let me dribble down the sideline to string this out. Now your defense is in peril. Now can make the pass that I want. And now a Leah Boston looks more comfortable on the short roll and the Lissa Smith is making players in the short role in Indiana's office just looks better. So like watching Caitlyn grow against pressure and against Blitz's has been a lot of fun. With angel Rees to finishing with angel Rees, What types of shots has she taken on these post ups or after offensive rebounds, What it's the angle that she's taken and stuff like that. She's gotten more patient, She's done a much better job of stealing her defenders and creating space for her to get cleaner looks off. We already know the rebounding gets been there all year, the defense has been there year all year, but just tracking the growth of her as a finisher, sprinkling in more mint range jumpers. Now we saw that Storm game. I think she made two threes not too long ago. You're starting to see the expansion of angel Rees offensively and that's been a lot of fun for me to watch. So both of them, in addition to just being really good rookies, seeing how much better they are in July versus where they were in May has been a lot of fun to watch.
Speaker 3: So in your opinion, who has the edge for Rookie.
Speaker 2: Of the Year, I would say right now, I probably lean Caitlyn Clark. If for another reason, then just the level of offensive responsibility that she has is not something that Angel does right now. I think she's clearly been a better defensive player.
Speaker 4: She's been an elite rebounder.
Speaker 2: The Sky to this point have still just won their minutes with the Angel rees on the floor and that isn't the case for Kaitlyn, though. That is starting to close in if you just filter.
Speaker 4: It by month.
Speaker 2: But the amount of responsibility that Caitlyn Clark has on the ball, even with the turnover numbers up there and assist and that's even that's trending upward as we went into the break. She's been above lead average efficiency all year long, even when she wasn't shooting that well, and now that you're seeing more comfort inside there from her, that efficiency is even rising for her. And then you just look at the box score numbers, like how many players are matching that production. Both the Fever and Sky are playoff teams right now. But I think Caitlyn is more of a driver offensively.
Speaker 4: Right now than what Angel is.
Speaker 2: And while the complaints about Kaitlyn's defense were valid early on in the year, and I think there is still just room for her to get better. It is worth acknowledge that she has become a better defender as the season's gone on, but you can point to like to still in the block numbers. I don't care much about that portion. But as Indiana's leaning the more switching, like, I think she's done a better job of holding her own or when they're trying to get her out of a matchup, she's gotten out of there quicker. So like you're seeing that defensive growth on there. So I think it's still fair to dub Angel as the two way player of the two but I don't think like Caitlyn is a complete zero defense like many would have said she was early on in the year.
Speaker 3: I think that's great points.
Speaker 1: So nikaias is Caitlyn Clark with the edge so far and the Rookie of the Year race? All right, So, Nicias, I know you talked about Caitlyn Clark and Angel Reese being you know, neck and neck in terms of the Rookie of the Year race, But I want to propose something else to you. Can you consider Leoni Piebitch as a candidate for Rookie of the Year. She's on the New York Liberty, who is number one than the standings right now? Could she be the most important rookie this season?
Speaker 2: I'll ask her the second question first, Could she be the most important rookie in the second half.
Speaker 4: Of the year.
Speaker 2: Like, I think you can make the case just because of you know, it's through the lens of Benigeleney Hamilton being out as Benija. I think depending on how many games she plays, like she should just make an all defense scene this year with what she's done on that end of the floor, Like we are already seeing Leo close out games for the Liberty. We've also seen what she's looked like in the Olympic play. Her ability to defend the multiple positions, her ability to make things happen off the ball offensively, her ability to make plays with the ball in her hands. But more important, like the shooting is gonna be the big calling point there, like they need her to be really good. And so again that's not arguing she's better than Caitlyn or better than injuries. I would have made that argument, but for a team with legitimate you know, the sky and the Fever are seven and eight. The Liberty are trying to win a title right now, and so as a rookie that is in the rotation of a legitimate title contender, Like that's a different level of pressure. So like to the second part of the question, like, I think you can make the argument that she could end up being like the most impactful rookie. If she plays well, it helps the Liberty tide the BBNIJA thing, and if Fanaja comes back, that's just another wing that they can throw.
Speaker 4: At whoever they face in the postseason.
Speaker 2: As far as Rookie of the Year candidate, like I can't get all the way there, Like I don't think she's had a better season than Kaitlyn or Angel. I don't think she's had a better season than Rakia Jackson. So I guess with that part, like that's just gonna depend on how much you value like defense as a concept, not that Riki has been bad, but Leo's been really good. And like just like you know, on off stuff like the.
Speaker 4: Liberty winning, the minutes with Lee on the floor, etcetera.
Speaker 2: Like those kinds of things, Like I think you can argue Leo as high as three, I will probably still just have Rookia three. So it's more I think she's I think she's a lot for the rookie team. I'll say that Barney injury, I think she's just she's just one of those five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely think that she makes a case to be in the conversation at least as that third fourth when we talk about the Rookie of the Year, your race one and two, I think is you know, Angel Rees, Caplin, Clark, not in any type of order, but I think you know those are the two, but just making it clear, like you know those are the top two. And I definitely think that she can make you know, the All Rookie team as well. So I'm excited to see the New York Liberty in the second half of the season and how they adjust with Benaje, Laney Hamilton post surgery, with Ayrsopoli who's also dealing with an injury as well, like the minutes that Leo will be able to play for.
Speaker 3: The Liberty going into the second half of the season.
Speaker 5: Ok.
Speaker 2: Actually, can I ask you a quick question, what do you have for me because I haven't seen them on your timeline? What were your thoughts about Kayla Thornton and Papa John's opinions?
Speaker 1: Papa John's if you're listening. No disrespect, but Kayla, I don't know. You gotta take Kayla's for better pizza spots in New York City Papa John's.
Speaker 2: No comment, Okay, all right, that's all okay.
Speaker 1: Just there's better pizza spots in New York than Papa John's Kayla.
Speaker 3: So we gotta we gotta put her on. We gotta put her on some better pizza spots.
Speaker 4: Just speagure out as.
Speaker 3: Nicias.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining me this week. It's been so much fun just chatting hoops, ex's and o's predictions with you.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me. It's a blast.
Speaker 2: If I haven't outwarned my welcome, I'd love to come back at some point.
Speaker 3: You're always invited.
Speaker 2: But no, it all serious is keep doing what you're doing. You have been a trailblazer in the space for a very long time. I really respect everything that you are doing and what you mean to the space. So I just appreciate you for what you're doing and what you are.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's so much love. Thank you, and keep doing what you're doing. Like seriously, whatever, I need to get some miltes on exod it. Ohs, I'm listening to the Dunkers podcast with you and Steve.
Speaker 3: Just keep killing it, man, appreciate you.
Speaker 1: It's time for my spotlight of the week. I want to highlight Flavor Flav. He's been doing such an amazing job by being an ambassador and a supporter of the women's US warter polo team, but also he's been supporting athletes all around. Last week, there was a viral moment on X when Olympic disc thrower Veronica Frehley posted on X that she could not pay her rent and she was out in the Olympics ready to compete. So Flavor Flave he saw her tweet, it went viral and he offered to pay her rent for the month, and then Alexis on Hannian came in and.
Speaker 3: Paid her rent for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: So kudos to the men who support and advocate for women in sports. I think that it's dope. Flavor Flave is not the person that I would have had on my Bengo card in twenty twenty four to be at the forefront of women's sports and supporting. So shout out to Flavor Flave, who's completing side missions in powers right now with the US Women's polo team, but also just supporting women in sports in general. Love everything that you're doing, and here are my final thoughts. Next week, the WNBA returns with some very exciting matchups. You have in Phoenix, Mercury at the Sky, the Mystics at the Links, and the Liberty at the Sparks, so make sure you stay tuned and locked into everything that's happening for the second half of the WNBA season. I also want to thank Nakai s. Duncan again for coming on this week to In Case You missed It with Christina Williams. Please don't forget to rate, review and subscribe to the podcast. I'll see you back here this time next week on In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams. In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.