Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is mick Shot, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: When the going gets tough, the tough get going, and Everson Walls has got going again today he's doing something else and doesn't have time for us here on mix Shots. It is officially Texans Week. Here at the Star in Frisco, inside the SWBC podcast studio, Bill Jones, Mickey Spagnola, and the Great Nate Newton. Nate in Frisco fills in for the vacationing Everson Walls.
Speaker 2: Hello, Nate, how you guys doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: What are you doing? Watching over there?
Speaker 2: Just trying to be up on what's happening, and you know, trying to pre prep for these shows. Man, to make sure you know, I say a lot of wild things, and.
Speaker 3: You will make sure that you're prepared to say those wild things.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so we're going to back them up. Yeah, I'm gonna back them up all right. Yeah, my team play better. I'll be able to back them up. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, a football team needs players like Nate Newton who just whenever summoned, they go right in the game. And that's what Nate Newton has done again today. And prepare we find out last minute that someone's lunching is running over or wherever Everthon is right now, and here comes Nata running to fill in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was down there in the when they started this little stream or whatever they call it. I'm just waiting. I think we should get Nata. I'm here, I'm always lurking around here.
Speaker 3: You go, right, yeah, all right, We've got a football equipment on the football field and we expect to have football players out there shortly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is, and the sun has risen.
Speaker 3: It has. Yes, it's been a beautiful week here.
Speaker 5: I hope they can practice in the sun.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, Mike, I'm with you, my friend. I'm just waiting on. Let's get get started. Man, where are we going with this to day? With mixed shots?
Speaker 3: What do you have?
Speaker 5: Somebody pointed out to me that last year Cowboys won all their home games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had like a sixteen game winning streak at home before the season started the regular season.
Speaker 5: Was the sun not out there in those games. Yeah, just asking.
Speaker 2: You won't stop with you, mak No.
Speaker 5: Just it just dawned on me. That's all I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is what it is, Mike. Don't let it. Don't let it get you upset, man. Okay, let the outside for us is could come an issue.
Speaker 5: Didn't matter that they missed blocks and all three of those plays on the goal line.
Speaker 2: Let it go, make let it go, Let's move forward. We Hey, guess what, we got a new game this week? Right, let it go? Make help me out here, Bill.
Speaker 3: And it's a team that doesn't play in the sun. It's a night it's a night game, so took care of that. Probably got no excuses see glare of the Monday night football lights instead.
Speaker 5: That's right. I hope they don't get freaked out by National TV.
Speaker 3: All Right, we got a quarterback undergoing surgery today in New.
Speaker 5: York, Yes we do. And boy, and I guess it's with a specialist. Yes, I'm assuming this guy has done this surgery or doctor, I should say, a surgeon that's done this before. Yeah, I shouldn't be a sexist, right, could be a female surgeon?
Speaker 2: Right? Yes? I mean, well, us doing the job, please do it well, and give him the right rehab program. So next year when he comes back, he's fully ready to go, and we can see him starting in OTAs.
Speaker 5: You know that when you said, hope he does it well. The night before my dad at eighty two, had open heart surgery. The doctor came in, talked to him, any questions, and he goes, okay, see you in the morning. My dad goes, make sure you get a good night's sleep.
Speaker 2: That's right, man, Yes, their do it right.
Speaker 5: Make sure you do a good job. So then I would imagine this is probably takes a while before you start rehab.
Speaker 3: I understand the medical experts that we talked to at CBS Texas yesterday.
Speaker 5: I did somebody from San Diego.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't. It wasn't an internet doctor said that basically it's a down period for about ten days. And I did not talk myself with this doctor, but this this is his second hand, and so it was down period for like ten days and then we'll start the rehab process. He said, it's not as difficult to rehab as what he went through, of course four years ago with the compound fracture of the ankle and coming back from that, but he estimated three to five months recovery, and which went at the long end of that at five months puts you right to April, which is the start of the off season program.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go.
Speaker 5: So as long as I was thinking, as long as you're ready by July.
Speaker 3: You know when Jerry on the radio said three months, I did the math. I said, wait, December, January, February. So just like Aiden Hutchinson, the Lions are hoping to get Aiden Hutchinson back by the Super Bowl. I did the math on that, and it would match up with Super Bowl Sunday.
Speaker 5: That ain't happening, Okay, No tours acl.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh you're talking about the bidding. No, he broke his leg.
Speaker 2: It broke his He broke his Oh that's right.
Speaker 3: Sorry, So I just took time for the bone to heal. Yeah, big bone.
Speaker 5: Like last last year when Aaron Rodgers tore his achilles and he was going to be back before the end of the season.
Speaker 3: That workout. It's not working out this year either, ye'ah.
Speaker 2: Doing everything you'll can to stay away from football. Wait to go, ya doing a bastard for job? All right?
Speaker 5: So Nate Watson get it back to.
Speaker 2: Football, back to our football.
Speaker 5: I mean what you got on your mind.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this team is facing three games in the span of eleven days, with a Monday night game followed by a Sunday game and then a Thursday game. How difficult is that stretch. It's even it's by by one day. It is shorter than what the normal process is this time of the year for the cowboy.
Speaker 2: For the young guys, you know, the first year guys, it'll be hectic, But this is about being a professional, locking in more importantly, getting your families and friends to lock in that you know you may not have as much time as you normally do, and just just lock in and make sure you're healthy, make sure you take care of your body, and it just be the best you can. Just prepare. Coach is going to try to make it easy. He's going to try to mesh these games. The best plays that you do, the best schemes that you run, that you've been successful. They'll try to lean to more towards that and what each game may be have in common and just put it together and you make that run. This team here more so than any other team at this point, I'm talking about I passed teams. Here is you're truly gonna have to be locked in on this one game at a time and understanding who you're playing, get extra film working. It's just gonna be like twenty one days of just eleven or twelve day excuse me of just doing what you gotta do.
Speaker 5: So they get an extra day this week to prepare. McCarthy said they would go heavy early in the week and then slack off or taper off.
Speaker 2: I should use the right word.
Speaker 5: Cowboys are slacking off, yes, taper off towards the end. And so they're going to keep Wednesday through Friday the same. Maybe they get if they take an easy day walk through maybe on Saturday, and don't do the other practice on Sunday to get ready for the Monday night game.
Speaker 2: But then you got a.
Speaker 5: Short week, right, yes, to get ready for Sunday away game, and then you're away and good thing. It's a it's an early game right in Washington, am I right.
Speaker 2: At twelve o'clock? What you mean is by early.
Speaker 3: Early, let me look it up here, look, which means you get back at it is a noon game, ye, So you.
Speaker 5: Get back at a decent time. So Monday is not wasted like previous years when the Cowboys had away game on Sunday night and then played Thursday.
Speaker 2: So that's more.
Speaker 5: Equitable for getting ready for the game. So yeah, they've got a lot of preparation to do, and you're trying to also use this week as an extra day to not only prepare now your starting quarterback, but your backup quarterback too.
Speaker 3: Okay, when was the last time that the Cowboys played a Monday night game, then a Sunday game, and then a Thursday game? Meaning I hope you have the meaning three games in eleven days is typically it's three games in twelve days with a Sunday game, not a Monday night game on the front end of that. Right, So when's the last time that happened.
Speaker 5: I'm guessing it's been quite some time.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and five, as you were talking, I just looked.
Speaker 2: It up, all right.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and five they played a Monday night game at Philadelphia and one twenty one twenty They came back the following Sunday in one at home against Detroit twenty to seven, and then they lost an overtime game on Thanksgiving to Denver twenty four to twenty one. So it's been nineteen years since they've had these bunched up. And unfortunately, the league did them a favor this year by not having a Thursday game on the back side of the Thanksgiving game, because if they did that, then you look at four games in eighteen days.
Speaker 5: Was that a nine and sevens.
Speaker 3: They went nine and seven at OH five, which would have been DeMarcus Ware's rookie season, but.
Speaker 5: It didn't get them in the playoffs. That's right second place.
Speaker 3: In fact, they were coming into that stretch, they were one two, three four, They had a five and three record, got it to seven and three, and then lost to four out of the last six.
Speaker 5: Games turn persells warm out.
Speaker 3: So uh And as I said yesterday, for those who were wondering, okay, go ahead and just hand it over to Trey Lance at quarterback, that this with even if you just looked at this schedule right now, you that would be coaching malpractice to give it to a guy who had so limited experience both in college and the NFL. Three games in eleven days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I heard you just talk about it yesterday and you was adamant about it, and you seemed like you slept on it, and you came up with the same conclusion again. So I'm glad you stick to it. My thing is just right here. You know, I've talked a few people off the ledge because everybody you know, wants to judge Cooper Rush on this one game. Don't do that. Give this kid a chance to have another week in practice with these guys. With the receivers. You know, we have seen confusion in the routes where there's no spacing, but it seemed like it was even more this game. I'm not forget pointing fingers. I'm gonna tell you what I think. Guys got to take a little bit more responsibility in their route running because it's bad enough we're struggling on the offensive line. Then when offensive line do get it right, then we run wrong routes. Route running is more just like basketball. You hear coaches out there every game I was spacing, I was spacing. Wasn't right. Same in football. Wide receivers don't take care, don't run guys into the same area the touchdown down there that Mick continues to talk about that's bad spacing. Well, that's well, however, whatever the reason, whatever the excuse, it's bad spacing you yet the tight end supposed to be okay, it was bad, right, So guys gotta start before you leave a huddle. Like Jimmy used to tell me, Nate, know the play, know the snap count, know the play, know the snap count, and and that's your responsibility as a wide receiver. If we if we got CD Lamb running across the back of his zone wide open, Jason Ferguson, I love you, but don't cross over into his zone. We got to play down underneath coming out, we have the same thing where guys running over the top. One guy that brings a guy just enough until the vision of the quarterback. Now the quarterback has to move that he's lost sight of that guy and gave the corner a chance to catch up. Do your job. I think he will.
Speaker 3: What he was trying to do there was block the sun so that ceed can.
Speaker 2: No, sir, I'm not going there. I'm not. I don't, I don't. We heard this four or five or six years ago, but guess what we would turn out to be? Twelve and five were trying to be twelve and five were trying to be twelve and five. The tours wasn't messed up then, and the sun wasn't messed up then all of a sudden. Players don't give these players excuses for doing their job.
Speaker 5: You give them a soft pill to put that up.
Speaker 2: Yes. So the thing is that like this right here, these fans in this stadium help pays our bills. Bottom line. I'm through with it now. If y'all want to talk about this and then the tours, count me out, because all I want to talk about is get these young guys on the field, giving Cooper Rush an opportunity to be the guy that we saw before. Yes, the offensive line is different, Yes he has a little bit more pressure on him. But now our wide receivers, our tight ends have to make plays.
Speaker 5: You saw what else happened on that play?
Speaker 2: Right I make I don't want to.
Speaker 5: That play missed the block at the line of scrimmage, yes, sir, And why Cooper Rush was getting hit just after he threw the ball.
Speaker 2: Let's correct that, and let's get ready for those texts. I have an extra day and I'm not gonna let you waste your time on your show. Just leave leave it alone. Did you have any know?
Speaker 5: Because that's what people should be worried about.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 5: Everybody's worried about the sun. The real reason the play didn't work was because they didn't block on the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: Help me, Bill, you know what.
Speaker 3: I want to hear brought it up.
Speaker 5: He said, you got to know the place.
Speaker 2: Yes, you do.
Speaker 5: And I don't think they knew the play.
Speaker 2: They gotta know them. This team will grow as the players grow. Coach McCarthy knows its own system. The offensive coordinator can tell you before the quarterback throw it, that's the wrong place to throw the ball. How do you translate it to the players. It's three ways you can do it. You can tell them and they can see it in their mind. You can put it on films so they can see it visually, or you can go through a walk through so they can see it, feel it, and hear it. And they do that right okay, And they do all of these things. Now you start saying, you know what, young man, you're not doing it. We have a guy right here, Hey man, do you really do you? Did? You do you understand what's going on here? Show me? So now you got to stop putting players behinds on the bench.
Speaker 5: That's the only reason that I got to play my first time in high school.
Speaker 3: You got to play.
Speaker 5: I knew the place.
Speaker 2: It's you.
Speaker 3: I told you. I didn't realize you got into a game.
Speaker 5: I did about three of them.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, what position did you play?
Speaker 5: Well? I was the reporter on the sideline.
Speaker 3: So you got into the game as a reporter on the side I was, I was joking your sideline.
Speaker 5: They allowed me to be on the team because they know I covered the game for the studented some good reviews. Well, I was pretty tough on I bet you were all right. I learned early.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: I want to hear what our six time Pro Bowl offensive lineman has to say about one of the newcomers we saw in an NFL football game last Sunday when mix Shots continues in just a Moment.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel part of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages for pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports tools, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot Com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 7: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm dok Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win. Slides for the first down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect throw My goodness, wow, did he ever thread the needles?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 4: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T State for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yeti dot com. Check it out today YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 2: To mixed shuts.
Speaker 5: Cowboys Nation, It's time to get the giving season going. Tune in to see country music superstar Laney Wilson and a special guest performed during the Salvation Armies Annual Red Kettle Kickoff halftime show this Thanksgiving on Fox. Every donation stays in the community to provide help and hope for those in need. So tune in to watch the Cowboys, Giants and Landy Wilson this Thanksgiving and give today at Salvation Army USA dot org.
Speaker 3: And, by the way, the players on their day off yesterday made their annual visit to the Salvation Army in Dallas and for Worth that's always early Thanksgiving meals.
Speaker 5: A neat a neat deal. Did you guys go there?
Speaker 2: I think we did more to Christmas?
Speaker 5: Did Christmasy?
Speaker 2: We did more Christmas. I think these guys do both.
Speaker 5: I've gone there a couple times to help deliver the meals to the people. It's pretty neat. It's a pretty neat deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I think I went a couple of times when I wasn't after I was, you know, I got playing and so yeah, it's wow when you when you do good things for people, Man, it is a blessing. Believe me, when you do it, and you know you and I'm telling you something. When you're off there, be like, man, what you know? Then when you get there, your your heart change. Man, it's a different thing you you like when you leave, like, man, I'm glad I did that.
Speaker 5: And it seems like the people don't sit there and hold you responsible for being three and six right now there.
Speaker 2: They just glad that you took time out of your day to come see them and deserve them a meal.
Speaker 3: Okay, tell me about awesome Richards. What did you see out of Awesome Richards and Sunday's game?
Speaker 2: You know, I saw a guy that, as the game went on, got more and more confident.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He got a little bit of help, but not a whole lot.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: He held his own. I think he got a little raggedy in the in the late fourth quarter. He got a little out of whack there a couple of times, but he's got to make sure he gets off on the snap count. He continued to work his technique. He played a fairly good game. You know, I I buy into the Hudson Hawk my old offensive line coach theory. One game doesn't make you all pro, So let's I hope he can get some more snaps, not at the cost of guiding. I don't. I don't want that to happen. But if something happened that he needs to get in there, either guard or tackle on that left side, I hope he's the first guy in. I hope, I hope. This is what I've been This is what I was trying to tell Mick from day one when it was that training camp. I say, this is got Austin Richeskin. I think he can play. I don't know how good he can be. Every practice, someone was hurt, the first guy inserted in their awesome riches. Somebody missed half of a practice, first guy to insert was awesome riches. He played the whole preseason either left guard or left tackle the whole preseason. But when we have a bump in the road a couple of weeks ago, he does not even get a rep. So when they put him in, I was shocked that they gave him an opportunity this past game going against Josh Wett, who was not in Graham, who are not average guys. They're way above average pass rushers, and they're smart and they're intelligent veterans. So when he held his own against these guys, I hope that gives the coaching staff over their confidence that when something happens, give him, give him another opportunity. He earned the right for another opportunity. I'm not gonna get overly excited about it, because you can have a decent game because people don't know you. But this is the league where people scout you, and so somebody will see something that they think will work and they'll try it on him. So but if the opportunity to arise is of guiding. Something is wrong and I think a dog is he still?
Speaker 3: Here is the practice window to.
Speaker 5: Give you some food for thought. So McCarthy said that Tuma will be back at practice today and that's the first time since he got hurt.
Speaker 2: Yes, And he was.
Speaker 5: Asked with Richards, Guiton is probably healthy enough to play this week and with Richards and McCarthy interrupted, and he goes, we will have competition at that position.
Speaker 2: The thing about it is.
Speaker 5: So that was his way of not committing one way of the other the other.
Speaker 2: But the butt the bottom line, that's a dangerous game for me in my mind to play either guiding. It is truly your starter. And if you and if you start that competition and Richards beat him, what do you really do? Think about it? See, you don't have to commit.
Speaker 5: Just just how much competition is there in practice?
Speaker 2: No, regardless of however they come to the conclusion, then I'll reworded. Yeah, however they come to the conclusion, what if they decide to start Richard's again, what do you do with guiding?
Speaker 5: He wasn't ready to come back from his injury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So my thing is just right here, Like coaches and pr usually tell me when I used to always run my mouth and say the most dumbest things, Nate, sometimes no comment is the best way, and to coach, they just left that open. I think.
Speaker 3: No, Well, there has been a coach here in the past, at least one who would use a press conference to send a message to the player. I don't know that Mike McCarthy is one of those that does that, but there was one that you played for that would do that quite often.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: The interesting thing is like last week when he wasn't when Geiton wasn't ready to play, he was inactive, so the backup tackle was, well, let's go, he had him active. Well, now what happens if they decide Richards uh is the starter is guiding the backup or is he inactive again?
Speaker 2: You can't you keep saying, yeah, I'm trying to your question. Yeah, to answer your question. You do what you want to do. And you know people saying, well, Nate, as much as you've been crying for it's awesome, richest guy to play, you should want him in there. Yes, I do want him in there, but it but you you at a point now where if you, as a coaching staff, I decided, along with your offensive line coach and your GM. Okay, this kid is truly not ready, specially now, we're going to set him the rest of the year. Now, if you're willing to do that, do it. But if you're not, you know, uh, it's still a quarterback standing up back there doing games that alive. You don't want to get him hurt playing those type games. No, No, you want to get some unity on that OFFENSI I agree, yes, So whatever they decide, I hope they go with it the rest of the year.
Speaker 5: And then you've got to figure out if Tuma's coming back. I don't know that being out this long, you get in what to practices and you're ready to be active.
Speaker 9: I would I think he's still wouldn't. It's his window. Just twenty one day start. We had a start fail because of another end his window.
Speaker 5: I'm with you on that. By the way, I know what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I'm not riding with him. I'm not riding with.
Speaker 3: Him on the subjects of Tyler Geidon. You know, in some ways he's from an experienced standpoint, a youth standpoint. He's a lot like Trey Lance hadn't played much, he hadn't played much in college. He was a defensive lineman in high school, converted to offense of lineman. He was enlisted as an h back at TCU before he transferred to Oklahoma two years ago. Was only the starter to start that season because wan Yer Morris, who now is starting at left tackle for Kansas City, was suspended at the beginning of the year. In twenty twenty two, Janie Morris came back and got in was a backup, and then last year I believe it was eight starts, maybe ten somewhere in there. And so as a right tackle, not a left tackle. And he's just he turned twenty two this summer. Awesome. Richards on the other hand, uh just turned twenty four, so he's basically two years older than Guiden. So anyway, just from the but Guiden's got the tools that the scouts love, and so that why it was the first round draft pick. And so that's why things are up in the air a little bit as far as where Guiden is in his career and if he's ready or not.
Speaker 2: I think is that he talked about this doing training camp and right before the season start that this kid hadn't had a lot of experience and I saw in training camp, and I you know, I tried to relay this to a lot of people that he needs desperately to work on his on his technique, and he needed desperately to learn to punch with those long arms. And eight nine, ten games in that's still is situation. If he used those arms, it's always gonna be a different deal. But he's always got him halfway bent and letting people get into him. He's too quick to jump back off the ball, stead him half it, excuse me. Stead of him taking a half step, he's taking a full step, which is a mile long, and people beat them to the inside. So you're going over the same things over and over and over. You know, people saying to some people it is a difference. Like I couldn't play right guard as good as I could play left guard. It was an issue for me, but it wasn't an issue for me going to right tackle, and I never figured that out. I could go to right tackle and play that okay, But I couldn't shift to right guard and play that okay. It seemed like in a tighter area because when I went on the left side, I felt like I was in a phone booth because I liked it that type it. I liked the way you couldn't get away from me, you know, And so it's just maybe, but you don't have time. All of that should have been tried doing OTAs and training camp, so you don't have time. Now the season is here, you got to make a decision. You know, we ain't allowed to look at practices and see who getting all the reps. But you ain't got time to be splitting reps. That ain't cool because now you're taking away from Tyler Smith. So you you put a guy in there, and you go with that guy.
Speaker 5: You were talking about Guidon's college. Richard's at North Carolina started thirty eight games. Oh yeah, thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I personally every other day. I know, Coach mc clari hated to see me coming because I was having I had a new angle on how he could play. He's just sharing the training camp. Yeah, I had a new anger. But coach, you ever thought about this for for for awesome Richards? And he would just shake his head, smile and pat me on the back and keep going.
Speaker 5: Why you always thought he was a better tackle than a guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I just believe this. Give him, give him the reps. Uh. Now you can. Now you can feel confident as a coaching staff to put him in if something happened either left guard a left tackle. So now now t J. Bass, who is a good I think gonna be a good guard in this league. Now you you relegate him just to the right guard, you know, and let him if something happened to uh to the point where you don't want to put Zack in there he's Sack is beat up. But anyway, you know, not play him, but you can let TJ. Bass. I think we have a nucleus of offensive linemen that can be good. You know, that can be good. Now, I'm not telling the fans they're going to be great or they superman, because we haven't seen enough of them playing together. But I think we have a group of good young guys. Each one of them has a weakness, you know, but over time, if they can mentally get through this season, if they can mentally get themselves through the season, they will be much better next year.
Speaker 3: Look at your own career, I'm just looking back in nineteen eighty six. Yeah, you when you got in your first NFL game, you were twenty four years old, Yes, and turned twenty five late in that season in eighty six, started your first NFL game in eighty seven at age twenty five, Yes, and then started a twelve years run of starting every game basically, But we look at the difference. You were twenty five when they started.
Speaker 2: In USFL and needed the USFL.
Speaker 3: And Tyler Goeyton just turned twenty two this summer and he's being asked to That's why I thought, even in training camp, it was going to be a big ask to have a twenty two year old with such limited college experience start every game over a seventeen game season.
Speaker 2: And I tried to present that to people, and you you can crush your kid. And I'm not talking about him being crushed mentally because I hope he's not listening to our shows. I hope he was, but I hope he is, but not. But when you get up and tell people how good they are, you know you're not good. He's not good, and he's not this, and he's not this. And then the cowboys kind of go along with you and they get rid of the kid, and all of a sudden they pop up on TV and you see him like, yeah, we had him, but remember he wasn't mature. And that's what I tell people, mentally and physically in this league, you have to mature. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you're not physically and mentally ready for this grown man game, it can hurt you.
Speaker 3: Let me give you another one who actually was with the Cowboys early on out of Arkansas. Guy by the name of Jason Peters.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in two thousand and four with Buffalo, he was twenty two years old. This is after he was first like a college free agent fined by the Cowboys with Buffalo five games, one start, age twenty three. He started half the season in Buffalo, Okay, and then two thousand and six at age twenty four is the first time he had played sixteen games, And here we are in twenty twenty four and he still was getting a look this year again from Seattle at age forty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: So did you start the season in eighty seven? What game did Nate for you said he played?
Speaker 3: Let's see, you played in eighty seven eleven starts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know how hard it is, and three were replacement games.
Speaker 2: Assume I crossed the figure line. Yeah money, yeah, yeah, I'm saying guys talking about yeah, be loyal, Yeah, you sold out for money too. But anyway, we need to.
Speaker 3: Take a break, yes, sir, and I'll continue that thought when we come back here on mixed shots.
Speaker 4: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gearing up to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to.
Speaker 3: Help you win, slid for the first down.
Speaker 7: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect throw, My goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 2: You want to stay at the.
Speaker 6: Team hotel, attend the best tailgate party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tools, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 10: Today Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks? A kickoff, tailgates, going on pass, postgame, Sunday Night overtimes followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky in the Smoker, Miller Light, and the two America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lyte, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, fort Worth, Texas, Demitt Shuts.
Speaker 5: The most electrifying event of the holiday season is here. Cowboys Christmas Extravaganza powered by Reliant is back at the Star in Frisco. Join us every Friday and Saturday night from November twenty second through December twenty first for a spectacular holiday show with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, Rhythm in Blue, Rowdy Santa Claus, and surprise tree lighting appearances from your favorite Cowboy heroes. Best of all, the show is free. For details, visit stardistrict dot com. Don't miss out on the holiday magic.
Speaker 3: Do you have a date on that first one?
Speaker 5: November twenty second?
Speaker 3: November twenty second, Okay.
Speaker 5: Anything happened on November twenty second History of the United States?
Speaker 3: Yes, very much so in Dallas, Texas.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 5: I had my confirmation one year after that. Oh really November twenty second?
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Micah Parsons has tweeted this here in the last hour, when Mozzie becomes great exclamation points because he is on his way exclamation points, all of you will owe me an apology. Exclamation points hashtag believe exclamation point. What's somebody point when Mazi became is great because he is on his way. All of you will owe me an apology.
Speaker 5: He's a proponent of Mizzie Smith. He always has been worked with him, encouraged him during training camp on a daily basis. Yes, he did, ran with him, Yes he did, tried to get him in tip top shape and he still believes.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So would you like another tweet from Micah Sure forty nine minutes ago, He's got a lot to say. Defense wins championships. Exclamation points. Build this defense while we got young Superstar exclamation point. We will win more games holding teams to twenty or less points than offensive shootouts fax exclamation points.
Speaker 5: There you go in one of the reasons talking about Overshawn young Superstar, I would imagine sorry he talked about him after the game. He had the really good things to say about him.
Speaker 3: And who doesn't have good things?
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially after that performance. Huh So. One other position that seems to be somewhat a problem is the left cornerback position, and as you saw in the game, Philadelphia picked on Kaylin Carson. As a matter of fact, on that drive at the end of the first half, they went on him four or five plays for completions. So when I asked McCarthy about Bland, he said he's still with the rehab group and they have to put him on the fifty three. I believe this week because they started his twenty one day window.
Speaker 2: So if he's not true.
Speaker 3: They don't if he's done for the season.
Speaker 5: Right, and I would imagine they do they will, although then you got to, well, I guess they put Dak on IR so they'll have a spot for him. But if you noticed in that game in the fourth quarter, they put mccwalmew at left corner, right, So I wonder what happens this week. And I don't know that because.
Speaker 3: Collins is coming back for the Texans this week. He's been on IR and they said he could have played last week. They waited another week and he'll be ready to come back Monday night.
Speaker 5: And if you noticed in the game, and I don't mean to go backwards, Nate, you can, you can Trayvon Diggs picked that ball in the end zone. I don't think they threw his way the rest of the game.
Speaker 2: They did, they didn't, They just picked on it on a young kid. Carson's uh sometime, you know, like everthing you know I caught everything in the hall. We was talking about sometime you just got to throw caution to the win. He's an upclose flare and he's playing saw yeah, so he's got he's got to say, you know what, they drafted me for a reason. They're sticking with me, and this is happening. Let me go back to the old men. Come up and bump and run a little bit better, give them at least a different look this kid. Like I said, this is gonna be a bumping, grind year only for you. If you from the neck up absorb what has happened to you, break it down and see why it happened to you, you can come back next year a much better player. Don't let this year drain you. You still have seven to eight with nine games, Well, you still have to get through this season. Look at this film and see where you at. Go to your coach and see what the little things that he thinks you should work on in the little things and see if they come together and do your job. It's gonna be ugly. It's like running in mud man. It's like you're spinning your wheels, but you gotta keep going because eventually you're gonna hit solid grind and take off running.
Speaker 5: It's like he lost his confidence.
Speaker 2: He has lost his confident. Ain't like he has when you when it's third and eight and you back up the third and twelve. Yeah, I mean you're giving him more than the first down. I mean you giving him first down an opportunity to break a big plate. So, yes, he's he's lost his confidence. And that's where I know coach A. I. Harris is telling him, probably over coaching him, son, move up, challenge you better than that. Use your hands. You got great feet. You know, he's believe me what we were saying, they're saying over there much probably much louder.
Speaker 5: Well, So that's one thing to keep an eye on. Brandon Cooks sounds like he's close to returning. He's still rehabbing, but he's running really well. So it'll be interesting to see if they can get him back. And then I think they're going to try and get with an extra day this week, maybe get Mingo ready to give him a small package and get them ready to go. You know, I saw him out there the other day and he was just doing some drills and catching the ball. He's big, that's six ' two. You know, when he's out there around normal people, that's a big receiver. So it'd be interesting to see if they can get him going.
Speaker 2: Also, you know what, I'm not going and I know I'm the only one thinking this, but he he should be playing a certain amount of plays this week and he should be almost starting next week. Do not let this kid. If you I hear all these great things, Hey, they loved them on their draft board. Oh they were excited. Okay, if you're excited about this kid, he just came from a team that didn't fit his system. That's how you have to look at a team that.
Speaker 3: He didn't finish changed since they drafted.
Speaker 2: Now, if all of this great stuff you are saying put him on the field, what can he do worse than what has happened?
Speaker 5: And he's the easiest one to find out about, right, because next year you're gonna draft a wide receiver, right.
Speaker 2: Maybe not?
Speaker 5: Maybe not?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: If you think this guy can be a number two.
Speaker 3: That's why you made the move for him at mid season this year, so that you can figure out what he is. And you might have stolen a guy you look at it as an early draft pick from for next year.
Speaker 2: My issue is simply this play this kid. See we send in all these mixed singles. Oh, we don't want to think, well, we don't want people to think that we done gave up on the season. Well, I'm gonna be honest with you. When you put Trey Lance in the game, what are you telling a guy like me who played, You're giving up on the season. And you least gave up on that game. So now the more we put Trey Lance in, whether you want to believe it or not, Zach Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence and whoever else got more than five years in the league saying, well, fellas, it's all about what am I doing right and what am I doing wrong? Can they depend on me as a veteran because I got to do my job. It's because everybody's on audition, that is the bottom line. So now everybody can tell folks what you want to tell them. But I promise you when you do that right there, I've been I've been one in fifteen and hearing a coach say everybody's on audition. If I'm coach McCarthy, I'm just telling them the truth, Fellas. Everybody's getting our only three people Michael c d Lamb, Dak only three that ain't on audition. Everybody else you fighting for your job.
Speaker 3: And when you look at the wide receiver room with Brandon Cooks injured, Okay, outside of c d Lamb, you got a third round draft pick in Jalen Tolbert. You got a college free agent or a seventh round draft pick in Jalen Brooks. You got a sixth round draft pick in Ryan f Illinoy, and you got Cavante Turpin who was a college free agent and was a USFL guy, And so it makes a lot of sense that and you got Jalen Cropper, a college free agent last year.
Speaker 5: They elevated this last year, right.
Speaker 3: And so Mingo with a second round draft pick, see what he's See what he's got?
Speaker 5: I oh, I'm I'm all for it.
Speaker 2: And I think you're.
Speaker 5: Lacking at least he's played too, right, he is. He played fourteen games.
Speaker 3: Last year, that's right. He had forty three catches last year.
Speaker 2: I just I'm telling I hate the season is going the way it is going out Because I'm a big proponent of coach McCarthy. I am and you and as a head coach, the worst thing you want to see is young, inexperienced guys running out there. But coach, you ran with two out there and the most important positions on your team, center and left tackle. So you had to know things was gonna get a little dicey. You know it's just now. Can the owner, president, GM slash whatever say, hey, you know what I saw your problems last year?
Speaker 3: All right, you need to take a break because you got some more talking to do.
Speaker 2: Well on, I got Jesse, okay, so you don't have to talk now. That's my boy. You're going rock and rolls. All right.
Speaker 3: That does it for mixed shots for a Wednesday, and we will shout at you again tomorrow at high noon.
Speaker 2: Go Cowboys, cow Boys.
Speaker 1: This has been a products of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football clubby