Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Let's show some love to native Land.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, y'all, Welcome home.
Speaker 4: What's up? Everybody?
Speaker 5: Can y'all hear us?
Speaker 4: You hear us? Hopefully if y'all said, oh, no, we can hear I can hear us.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Welcome home, Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 4: I just one quick housekeeping matter.
Speaker 6: I believe that our podcast is available everywhere you get your podcasts, which includes the Serious app but we're actually a part of the iHeart Podcast family, so I just wanted to correct the record on that.
Speaker 1: I'm Angela Rye, I'm timmany Kron, and.
Speaker 5: I'm Andrew Gillam. Good to meet y'all, and it's good to do with you.
Speaker 4: Let me find out Andrew d fans in Texas.
Speaker 5: I love No No.
Speaker 4: That was the culmination applause for the.
Speaker 5: Three that y'all can see read.
Speaker 3: Don't have Bacari Sellers with us, who is our newest fourth host. He is actually wrapping up trial and was trying to get out on time. And government shutdowns can be real effective when you relate to the airport, so he will hopefully go in the next flight we'll get a chance. But we're extremely proud to have Bacari Sellers from CNN and just turning in South Carolina join us as the fourth host of the Native Lamplot Family.
Speaker 6: And he got the nerve to call himself Beyonce, but shout out to Beyonce while we were in Houston. That's Bacari, that does that, not Andrew. So I want to just get into a little bit of why we started this show, the importance of it right now, in particular, how many of you all have listened to the show.
Speaker 4: We can see you a little bit, all right, Okay, Well.
Speaker 1: Tiffany, if you would, would you please tell us why we named the show Native Land Pod.
Speaker 4: This is Angela's ideas.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I'm asked answering, but we get this question a lot and we talk about it on our podcast. But Angela were all in a group chat and Angela said, well, we were trying to think of a name.
Speaker 4: She said, what do you all think about Native Land?
Speaker 1: And it's because it is the last stanza of our national anthem, the Black national anthem, True to our God, True to our Native Land.
Speaker 4: So that's where the name.
Speaker 1: Comes from, but it feels more timely, especially now, as no matter how they try to make us feel, this is our home, this is the country we built. So at this time, many of us feel homeless in terms of where we get information from the spaces where we can gather in safety, where you can have reliable, vetted, trusted information and discussions that reflect the discussions you all are having in your group, chats at Brunt's tables and book clubs and barbershop wherever you all gather. So that's really the mission of Native Lampod, and we drop every Thursday, but there are also solo pods, mini pods. Angela hosts her show, Bakari and Andrew are actually recording a show without us. They kicked the girls out, so they're recording a show without us tomorrow. So pretty much every day of the week you can find something from Native lamp Pod. And I'm so thrilled that John said, y'all listen, that warms our heart. We say welcome home for a reason.
Speaker 3: Can I also just say on the on the Native Land selection, we did hear from our indigenous brothers and sisters who wanted to understand the interplay of the use of the word native with their position here as the native peoples of this land, and of course as black folks. Wherever we've been, either by force or by choice, we've had to figure out ways, maneuver ways to make a place ours and to adopt it as fully as we can. And so to Tiffany's point about this political moment where you feel homeless on so many fronts, I think ours is a community that has always demonstrated that we can make home, whether again by choice, wherever it is that we are, and so that reference to the Stanza is important grounding for why it is Native Land was our choice when we say welcome home, because we want you to know that at least with us, and Pacari when he you know with us, I'm joking that you're at home and that we can be open, free and fully disclosing with each other.
Speaker 4: And speaking of home, I know we are here at Afro Tech.
Speaker 6: This conreerce has been doing the work of the Lord for many, many years, and I just I want to shout out the founder of Blavity, Morgan Debond. Shout out to her for creating this amazing space and our full team y'all give it up for them.
Speaker 4: They're doing really good work.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I want to stay here for a moment just on home, because there are gatherings like this where black people come no matter what, it's a head nod, it's a piece, it's a girl, your outfit is fly, and we really need that in this moment in particular, right, I think when we think about.
Speaker 4: Home, when we think of I didn't even mean.
Speaker 6: To do that, but when we think of it, we've got to remember that we've got to create spaces to belong and the places that we cultivated. I think, particularly around and after the killing of George Floyd, it felt like there was going to be a tie change, that things were going to finally start to shift. In corporate I know many of the corporations here are recruiting, but so many of these organizations have also dialed back some of their efforts.
Speaker 4: Can we talk about why it's important for.
Speaker 6: Black entrepreneurs with our problem solving selves to figure out how to meet and bridge that gap, because there is one, and it's.
Speaker 5: Growing indeed, And just that's a perfect question, Angela.
Speaker 3: I don't want to mention the audience we're actually I think circulate, Mike spent a couple of moments. We actually want to bring you into the conversation because we oftentimes spend a lot of time on our show, of course telling you what we think, but we want to hear what you think, what your lived experience is saying. And then how do we, as folks who talk a lot on these issues, helped to meet the moment through your perspective and Angela, you know, we have asked a number of corporate folks who are sort of with us in supporting the show whether or not they have felt pressure within their corporate environments to either lessen the emphasis on diversity, equity and inclusion as one example, or whether or not they felt internally supported and that the mission was not one that was born of a moment, that existed and lived only in that moment, but that it's part of the lifeblood of a corporation, an organization that runs through the bloodstream of it, and not as an appendance. And we're lucky with some of our corporate partners that it does run through the fiber of the organization, but a lot of other places is y'all know probably better than us, you know, not involgue to say DEI a lot of times, or the definition or the attempt to redefine the definition of didn't even earn It is one that unfortunately even supporters of diversity have allowed to co opt its meaning. And the reason why I still sort of lean into the use of the term DEDI is that I think.
Speaker 5: We ought to be proud and unapologetic about the fact that corporations, the country.
Speaker 3: The world does better with a collection of diverse ideas that reflect the diversity of lived experiences that enrich whatever the outcome is, makes it more marketable and profitable, and we all come.
Speaker 5: Up versus the really simplistic.
Speaker 3: Myopic, racist intention that I think comes from the redefinition of it.
Speaker 1: I just want to take time and talk to some of the startups here because I definitely understand the frustration around that, because even pre George Floyd, we've had a hard time in raising funds. I of course try to start a newsroom startup that and I was met with a very unfriendly, unreceptive environment. I launched at the same time as an outlet, the Skim, which was run by two women who don't look like me.
Speaker 4: I launched at the same time as.
Speaker 1: Axios which is a political daily group of newsletter launched by a bunch of men who don't look like me. And I would go into some of these places like I'm sure many of you all can relate, and I would have to one define my humanity and second defend it, and then define my intellect and then second defend it. People would ask me, someone in half my age would ask me to present the problem, and the problem was, of course, there was not enough reliable information reaching people who look like us. Mind you, this was twenty sixteen, and this is a time when the Russian government was interfering with news and information. They spent thirty seconds here and said, oh, I know how we can interfere. They don't treat black folks so well there, so let's start flooding the zone with that. And people would ask me if pepper me with questions and the conclusion was constantly, well, black and brown people don't really care about news. How are you going to prove this business model? Meanwhile, we had unique one hundred thousand daily readers. The skim axios they didn't have They had a concept and launched with six and seven figure jobs or six and seven figure platforms and so there was a study done by Rate my Investor, which I'm sure you all may be familiar with, at the lack of opportunity that black women get in investing, and in twenty sixteen, the lack of opportunity that we got cost America, not just us, but America billions of dollars in commerce and millions of jobs.
Speaker 4: So it's more we're denied.
Speaker 1: We cut our nose off to spite our face in this country, and we see how that's gone ten years later, where there's still a dearth of information that does not reach us. And so that's the moment that Native Land tries to meet every week. When we launched, we were the number one downloaded podcast in every single category across every space on Apple News, and that's because of you all. So it's important that we have your support, but we also want to make sure that we're supporting you, and that's why we want to hear from you as well as we see our own testimony.
Speaker 6: And to that point, there is a floating mic, and so if you have a question, please make sure you stand or comment. Please make sure you stand and stay your name and where you're from. I will say quickly while we're waiting for this. First comment is we also are in a startup space. Tiff definitely blazed the trail.
Speaker 1: But I want to know we focus group sometimes how many of you all run your own company, start or you're a startup.
Speaker 6: There's a few hands, Oh, there's a good number of hands. And then how many of you all are podcasters?
Speaker 4: Okay, good number of hands too.
Speaker 6: The reason why I'm asking that is because I think that people don't always understand this is a grind like at our big age.
Speaker 4: We are grinding for real? Is it is like another startup?
Speaker 5: Give a big age.
Speaker 3: Somebody just celebrated a big one two days ago, happy birthday.
Speaker 4: Well I turned forty six. But I don't look at praise the lower neither do y'all? Do we have a question? I thought somebody I was just showing where the mic is? Is that a drunk?
Speaker 5: The mic is over here to.
Speaker 6: Okay, hey ya, okay, how you doing?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 5: We got a hand right here.
Speaker 4: It needs some new oil. Nothing is loud.
Speaker 5: It's a distraction.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, state your name where you're from.
Speaker 7: He's got a podcast, Indiana's own Dana Black are Jana? Yeah, what's happening now? Nicole told me to tell you how Yes, I am also a podcaster. Tiffany, you on me spades game?
Speaker 5: You know that? Right?
Speaker 8: Okay say the word okay now.
Speaker 7: One of the things I struggle with I am okay with my podcast because it's just me controlling it. One of the efforts that I have been trying to put together is having a podcast where young people are talking to young people and everyone talks about they're really interested in doing the thing. But then when I try to pull the meeting together to get the action moving, it's very difficult to get them to sit down for thirty minutes with me to do the what is the concept?
Speaker 4: What are we going to do?
Speaker 5: At fifty five?
Speaker 7: I can't do the conversation to young people.
Speaker 4: I need them to do this.
Speaker 7: How do you manage to bring the ideas together and get them flowing in the right direction?
Speaker 6: We fight, we fight, We don't see anything the same. And I think that's one of the big misnombers about the show.
Speaker 4: There's a huge.
Speaker 6: Mythod It's like, oh, they're in an echo chamber. Ain't nobody echoing in here?
Speaker 1: And so I think the main thing is you have to be willing to come to the table with your thing and say this is the thing I know we should be talking about.
Speaker 4: I feel it in my gut.
Speaker 6: One thing I love about our dynamic is if there's anything that we all are some one person feels strongly about, we yield. But they're also times where we don't yield. You don't want to talk about any of those times.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I think I think that is a good example.
Speaker 1: Though we all have a different idea about approaches to the problem, so again, our conversations reflect the same conversations that you guys are having. We all live in service to the liberation of our people, but there are different ideas about how to get there. There are many times that I could reference, but I'll say more generally, I think Angela, you're in a space where you want to reach everyone you even people who I think are Sometimes we're trying to be careful.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to be.
Speaker 1: Polite because I think sometimes people are nasty in their discord and disrespectful to all of us, but sometimes to Angela, and Angela sets ego aside and will go to that group of people and say, here's what I'm trying to say, and I invite you all to the conversation.
Speaker 4: I think Andrew, sometimes.
Speaker 1: You're y'all might see a fight right now, but I think sometimes you're an institutionalist, like you believe like no our government functions for this reason, and this is why we have to participate. I think, you know, sometimes I am really focused on informing folks, and so if people don't want to receive that information, I'm like deuces, I can't force some down your throat if you.
Speaker 4: Don't want it.
Speaker 1: And so if we're all coming at that from a different perspective, hopefully we are reaching everybody, even people who disagree with us. If there are people in an audience right now, is like I walk all the time, and people are like, I didn't like when you said or gird love when you said, you tell Andrew blah blah blah, or I kind of agree with Angela at this point, I didn't agree with you, or I agree with you, I didn't agree with Angela. And we invite those conversations because a healthy exchange of intellectual ideas and ideology is the only way we are going to see our way out of this four hundred year nightmare that we have somehow kept surviving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Dana's out of Indiana, and I know the spaces all around this country don't always make themselves warming to new ideas and disruption to media in the market. Your point specifically about young people.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think not for just young people.
Speaker 3: I think in general, we're living at a time where people want sort of the unpolished and the not necessarily presentation ready version of things.
Speaker 5: They want, How is it like? What does it really look like?
Speaker 3: In fact way, we negotiate that each week, from topic to topic, we have a pre call with each other, and once each of us are done pitching to each other what we would like to talk about, we oftentimes cut the conversation like we don't want to pie, don't say what you really think, don't you know, don't do it here. Let's do it when we're on the mic, so that folks are truly welcomed into what the discourse is between why a thing or why not a thing?
Speaker 6: Andrew, we just got in trouble. We got to shorten our response. I've done a lot of questions. That's it, okay, authors, I have a question.
Speaker 9: I'm right here, hey, friends, I I'm a Tiffany. I'm Tiffany here is here from Houston. So my question for you all is, I'm a mom and I have a great community of children, none of which who like Trump. But I want to frame I want to help them frame the conversation in a way where they're not distrustful and disliking of all the things, like I want them informed. So how you know, and you guys all have three very different perspectives, But what's the best way to help young people frame the moment that we're in To help empower them in a more proactive way as opposed to a more reactive or hate or anything else that's happening. I like, I want to empower them to feel like, yes, this is a bad moment, but it's not the end of the moment.
Speaker 6: I one of the things that I point to, and we'll even give you this example right now. You know, for twenty four additional states, SNAP benefits are expected to run out on November first, right before the holidays.
Speaker 4: And one of the things that I'm so grateful I.
Speaker 6: Shifted inadvertently my algorithm to see are the number of ways in which black folks are coming together to meet the needs of hungry kids and families all over this country.
Speaker 4: So one thing that we know.
Speaker 6: Is that when we all just do a little bit, we can change the equation.
Speaker 4: We can absolutely change the way this is played.
Speaker 1: Should we be able to rely on our government after everything that we've given to our government?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, But can we rely on our government? It's something entirely different.
Speaker 1: And I think that if we accept what we don't want to, which is that we may not be able to, but we have everything we need, and God, we thank you, we can make it.
Speaker 4: So the short answer is we all we got Andrew.
Speaker 3: Agreed, and I'll just say the beauty of history is that oftentimes it tells.
Speaker 5: A story of what we've overcome.
Speaker 3: When we think about the Montgomery US Boycott, they didn't start with the intention of being in protest.
Speaker 5: For over a year.
Speaker 3: They started believing they were going to protest for a day, and then they met that evening and decided they were going to keep the protest for the next day.
Speaker 5: And they met again that evening and.
Speaker 3: Decided they were going to keep the protest going until they broke the wheel of the system. So history's important, particularly for young folks, in that Yeah, this may be the moment we're in right now, but it hasn't always been this way and didn't always have to be this way, and I think we ought to lean more on the examples that I think show a path that we can overcome, and we do overcome.
Speaker 5: The question.
Speaker 8: Hi Carla, Hi, my name is carloil Maris and this is a podcast the congratulations to you guys.
Speaker 4: My question is I have a company.
Speaker 8: It's a production company for podcast since twenty seventeen, and I've always focused only on black and round voices to amplify them. When I came into space, it was a very white space.
Speaker 4: It still is.
Speaker 8: So my question to you is a lot of people come into the space.
Speaker 4: It's demanding.
Speaker 8: Podcasting is fun, you're looking at it, you're enjoying native Land multiple times a week. But then I see everyone putting their hands up. They want to do it or they're in it. But you get tired and you get burnt out, and if you have co hosts, there could be you.
Speaker 4: Know, discourse between you guys.
Speaker 8: So can you, guys say how you managed to show up on a weekly basis, because this is not a sprint, it's a marathon, and it takes time to grow your audience when you're not already a celebrity, but you're needed in the space.
Speaker 4: I just want to say.
Speaker 1: Carla will Maris was my executive producer for another podcast I hosted with Will Packer, so she has an amazing podcast company and was great to work with and I haven't seen her since. I'll hug you after after the discussion, but thank you for the question. I think with all of us, we one rule for me anyway, when we're in person, even if there was a fight or discord on the panel, I want to eat afterwards. I want us all to be able to go out to eat like we're gonna do when we get off this stage and break bread and have a good time. And I think keeping the disagreement on the podcast, I don't want to talk after about the disagreement, Like if you got a problem, so and I says say it on the podcast.
Speaker 4: That is content.
Speaker 1: The other thing that you really can't manufacture is we are friends organically. We our friendship proceed to the podcast and it won't change. The podcast will not change our friendship ten years. So now you can ask me what's going on, and what's going on Andrew, I'm gonna be able to answer. So we're having conversations, and we're letting the audience eavesdrop on those conversations. We show up as our authentic selves. We're not performing for this. Whether the cameras are rolling there or not, these conversations was going to be happening.
Speaker 5: We also take breaks from each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we typically taste the longest breaks from us. And it gets on my nerves.
Speaker 4: That's a podcast fight I'm gonna have right here, gets on my nerves. Answer my calls.
Speaker 3: Angela wants to talk about everything all the way through, and sometimes it's like I heard.
Speaker 5: What you say, I'm done with it, and we will pick up the next day.
Speaker 3: That dynamic is real because I remember as a youth like watching groups that used to be great performance groups and then you look up the next day and they done broke up. And nobody knows why the group broke up, because nobody ever talked about the fact.
Speaker 5: That there's discord.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it never When our discourse gets to the point where I no longer trust their intention, any one of them, or that at the end of the day they don't have in mind or in heart like me coming out good on the other side, then that's where it starts to disrupt for me, but in our disagreements personal on the show. Otherwise generally it's about a thing, this moment, this incident, this thing, and not like I'm not questioning the integrity of your character.
Speaker 5: I don't disbelieve you, so on and so forth.
Speaker 10: Hi, my name is Andrea. I'm based here in Houston and my company is Black Sports Moms. I have an amazing co founder that lives in Atlanta. So, piggybacking on her question, we want to start a podcast. Logistically, you guys all have fifty eleven jobs. How do you manage it? Because we want to do it in person. Do you guys do marathon shoot days? Do you do some virtual where y'all both on screen? Because we want to start it, but we want to get the best engagement with me being in Houston, her being in Atlanta.
Speaker 6: I really want to tell you that I wish that you would watch our show. It's so clear you don't, But I'm not going to say that. So what I will say is sometimes we just recorded one hundred and two episodes.
Speaker 4: We do both.
Speaker 6: Tiff says she likes to be in person. We're in person right now. We do live shows. It just really depends if you all have the travel budget to be in person. Be in person. We don't do marathon shoot days because it's new sensitive, it's a political and cultural show, and I will just say it is a marathon. As Carloss said, it's tip just alluded to.
Speaker 4: So that's it. I don't think.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the question, though, and we hope you tune in. We are welcome home.
Speaker 6: Got some tip filter on there, but I'm just saying, don't ask me, don't quite go back and look, y'all.
Speaker 5: As we were moving on, how about to the outer.
Speaker 3: Skirts, there's some hands over here on the ou of skirts, was like, move along, rightboy, got a min Yeah, can you hear me?
Speaker 5: Hi? My name is Marcelle Anderson. I'm a founder. Are you back here? Guests?
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 11: I'm a founder CEO of It's AI tech company based in Miami. So my question is actually for Andrew, especially given that you guys are in the podcasting space. Now, if we as we reflect upon Kamala's race and how the allocation of resources with respect to reaching the people was, I would say misallocated with respect to TV ads and billboards. And we saw how Trump was able to effectively use shows like Joe Rogan's podcast, etc. As you think about the importance of going local and the importance of targeting communities for galvanizing folks to win back states like Florida, what do you think of as effective strategies or people that you're throwing your weight behind to make sure we can try to win back Florida given how powerful the governor's seat is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, absolute brother up from Miami was born there, and Florida a lot of people across the country declared it's pretty much a lost state as relates to our politics. I tend to agree with you. I think it is a state that can be won if we're willing to compete. And competition has to be more than words.
Speaker 5: It's got to be matched in a budget. Right.
Speaker 3: You mentioned, you know, the Hairs campaign and the appropriation of media buys, and the truth is not just a Hars campaign. Nearly any different a campaign run nationally almost anywhere, has leaned into this very lateral, sort of non innovative approach to engaging communities. They might do an appearance on a podcast, but then you go back and trace the ad dollars and all the money went to network television. Right, we're not even a We're not even a percentage. We're less than a decimal point of what they were spending to reach our communities. And you know, my frustrations that are pretty big high with institutional structures that are supposed to serve and protect the things that I believe in and hopefully you believe in. And much of it has to do with the capitulation, the fact that so many folks have been willing, willing to bend a need, so willing to silence themselves and to absent themselves from a healthy discourse that all we got is us. We are here, you know, talking to each other, hopefully not exclusively, but about Okay, the system seems to be collapsing at every turn.
Speaker 5: Who's telling the truth of about it?
Speaker 3: And I think increasingly viewers listeners are finding those voices and connecting to them. But if you own a budget line, if you're over a budget line around advertising, I hope you'll make the point that you can't do this like it's a one off transaction. If you're going to talk to communities, especially communities of color, where you can move votes and numbers, you need to be there, not to.
Speaker 5: Date me once, but you got to marry me.
Speaker 3: You got to be in relationship with me on a regular basis, good times, bad times, and otherwise, so you know when the community's in pain and when we're feeling optimistic and prosperous, and then again, lift those voices up as they show themselves. But ideally we've be in a much better place where we are right now.
Speaker 5: Is we kind of all we.
Speaker 3: Got at the moment, and hopefully that that picture turns soon.
Speaker 4: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 12: Hi, I'm Keisha, and this question is Tiffany. I used to watch your show every Sunday, my husband and I, so we really loved your show. So your show gave a powerful platform to underrepresented voices, and after it ended, how did you reimagine your mission to be able to amplify those same voices outside of traditional network spaces.
Speaker 1: Thank you, I'm still reimagining. It's funny you should ask that question right now, because literally, right now I'm trying to harness resources to revisit that platform. I'm so grateful for so many people who tuned in, who still tell me they tuned in. And I say this with all humility because I you know, I don't think that people tuned in necessarily just to hear from me, but they tuned in to hear from Indigenous voices who did not have to talk about the indigenous community to be invited to my show. You could be a person to talk about Supreme Court justices, but you happen to have a dative.
Speaker 4: Amer and background.
Speaker 1: You could be from the API community and come on my show and talk about.
Speaker 4: You know, political discourse.
Speaker 1: So I've really been trying to figure out how to harness the rising majority and bring that back. I try to do that on Native Land, but this is, you know, an opinion podcast, and I do miss actual reporting and journalism and introducing. So I try to do that as much as I can on the show, but I am looking for another outlet where I could actually report. So stay tuned, is what I can say for now. And just thank you for blessing me with the question. I'm gonna take this moment because you asked that question to just shout out somebody in the audience. Who's somebody who I met through reporting on ground in Tulsa, and that is to Mario Solomon Simmons, Please stand up to Mario. To Mario is an attorney for the surviving members of the Tulsa Massacre. He represents the Tulsa massacre and he just won another As we talk about indigenous people, we have to know that there are black Indigenous people who are part of Creak Nation. Yes, and so he also just won that case. And for anyone in the audience who cares, I know he will want me to say this. He is a proud member of Omega Sci Fi Fraternity Incorporated.
Speaker 4: So I'm saying that because I know he would want me to say that the Mario you got a right head check now. Yeah, we love you, brother.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: We have a few more questions right here. Yes, how y'all doing. My name is Carrie Gray.
Speaker 13: I'm the founder and executive director of the Named Advocates, our workers at the intersections of racial and disability justice. Just a small plug. I would love to hear y'all talk about disability justice more.
Speaker 4: But my question is I'm.
Speaker 13: Really curious of how y'all see the future of the DEA framework.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 13: We are pushing for people to still use DEIA, but the reality is our community is fractured. People are dropping it, They're losing money. Some people couldn't wait to get away from it. I'm curious if y'all see this as a time to genuinely stick with it, or are y'all imagining the future of what we could be doing around this work, And is it called deia or something different.
Speaker 6: I think that we have to detach ourselves from terms and attach ourself to outcomes. We spend a lot of time worried about what something is called, and I think whether you call it belonging, we go together, justice, affirmative action, just action.
Speaker 4: It's about damn time.
Speaker 6: Whatever you call the program, right, we just need to make sure that the outcomes are.
Speaker 4: Attached to our collective liberation.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you adding in and stating it here deia. I will be more mindful of utilizing that. But one thing that I love that we've done from our very first show, Andrew talked about Native Lamp Pod being a safe space for us virtually to convene because we are so so disparate and where we live now, we don't live next door to each other like our folks used to do back in the day. So please, when you see us not mentioning something, send in a video let us know.
Speaker 1: And that goes for all of you. If there's something we need to speak to, if you don't like something.
Speaker 6: We said, we've been in a lot of beef since Bakari got on the show.
Speaker 4: So if there's.
Speaker 1: Anything, if there's anything you want to share, by all means, you can send in a comment or a question.
Speaker 6: We'd love to hear from y'all. It's your home too, so that's why we say welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree to It matters what the outcomes are, but it also matters that a thing be called a thing, largely because we didn't know about how reckless a lot of companies were in their spending toward people of color, or how many employees with disabilities or different abilities they had. We didn't learn that stuff until we started requiring, largely through government that they counted. And I was always told, you count what matters, and you call a thing something when it matters. And largely I found in a lot of places where they don't name when they are making diversity, equity and inclusion i A investments, then everybody gets called to the C suites and they're scattering trying to figure out how they can composite some data together that makes them not look like they're keeping certain communities outside of of of of of the benefit here. So to me, it matters that you call a thing something because when you call it something, usually can.
Speaker 4: Andrew because here's the thing.
Speaker 6: There are a lot of places that call a thing a thing, and the only beneficiaries are white women.
Speaker 3: I don't That's why I agree with you the outcomes the outcome. The outcomes also matter. But right now you wanted to go to France and find out how many folks are owning black businesses, say they're.
Speaker 5: In France, they don't.
Speaker 3: Your identity as a Frenchman French woman is just that there's no black French, there's no Afro French, there's no any of that. And they take it out of state of pride that they don't have those divisions. And I said, well, well, how do you find the data when you're trying to.
Speaker 6: Find so let me push back on this too, because even recently he had the essential dismantling of the Disadvantage Business Enterprise Program through DOT through the Department of Transportation. Disadvantaged Business Enterprise stands, but they have gutted it of gender and racial consideration. So you called the thing a thing, but it's not going to have the same impact.
Speaker 3: Well, this is a line ass administration, and so it's hard to ability.
Speaker 5: Sort of figure out what's what.
Speaker 3: But I will say this to bridge the divide here is I think you absolutely the outcomes absolutely matter, right, the outcomes of a thing absolutely matter. To call it something also matters to me. But in a perfect scenario, a perfect scenario would be that it lives in the bloodstream of the entity. That if diversity is important to you know, I'm not calling out, but you can see in my C suite and my F suite and whatever sus have that it means something because based off the diversity that you can either visibly see or once you get into the data stale on paper.
Speaker 1: It's producer Lol is right there and she says, we have to wrap this answer.
Speaker 4: So next question, how you're doing, Tiffany.
Speaker 14: My name is Adam Harris. I'm a creative director at Proud Kids Club, and my wife spent on your show multiple times before you got canceled. Her name is lynn Wynn. Yeah, and my daughter.
Speaker 1: Lad She a woman of Asian American woman who likes to have on the show. She had so much flavor and always had the She gave it to a straight no chaser every time, so thank you.
Speaker 4: Please tell her I say, hi, sorry, y'all.
Speaker 5: That will take pictures.
Speaker 4: But my question is, let me see how I can with this.
Speaker 5: How are we.
Speaker 14: Gonna teach our elders how to tell difference from AI videos and real videos? How are we gonna bridge the gap in between that? And you know, because my mom's sending me like four to five videos a day looked at this steer, you know, jumping on a trampoline, and then celebrities selling fake products, Like, how do we bridge that gap?
Speaker 3: That is we bridge it first with us, because I'd be saying something, think it is real, Well, I'm not close to the sixty.
Speaker 5: That I am in the forty.
Speaker 1: So so as Times talks about AI a lot in the dangers of it that it represents specifically for us, I think sometimes people get so excited with it like it's a new toy without attaching to it critical thinking and what it means for our community. We know in this room AI is neither artificial nor is it intelligent.
Speaker 4: It's feeding off what we give it.
Speaker 1: But when you look at the Internet's comments section, think about it. AI is all up and through there grasping information from that. The best example that I can give that's been written about multiple times. You ask Ai chat GPC, for example, does Israel have the right to exist?
Speaker 4: You get back immediate yes.
Speaker 1: If you ask AI, does Palestine have the right to exist, the answer is way different. Well, it's complicated. Well we have to look at this. That shows bias right there. Now, that is your own Palestine Middle very complex Middle East policy. Think about when it comes to black folks here in America and what kind of information that people are using and building. Moreover, AI is the thing that's doing the learning, not us. So when you think about how it's pumped into our newsrooms, into our social media feeds, it is terrifying to.
Speaker 4: Answer a question.
Speaker 1: I do not believe we will be able to get ahead of this before it gets ahead of us. Even with Sora and the new technology there, it's already being manipulated by other people.
Speaker 4: All it is a video clip.
Speaker 1: You can just clip edit the Sora out of the video, and it's already happening. More dangerously, think about what it's doing to our politics. Just this month, we saw Donald Trump use an AI video to show himself defecating on the no Kings parades across the country, wearing a crown which happened to be a queen's crown. It wasn't even a king's crown. Genius, but he showed this video and people believe that. During the election, they showed a video of Joe Biden and spliced it so look like he was falling asleep during an interview that never happened. But critical thinking people see this and believe it. So I would ask all of us share responsibly, think critically before you comment on something.
Speaker 4: Thinking is real. You can always.
Speaker 1: Double and triple check before you share something like that. But it's something that I'm terrified, and I ask people in here who works on AI. My question to you is are we looking at more sci fi or more horror story?
Speaker 4: And right now it feels like more horror story.
Speaker 6: And to that end, sadly, it's horrific that we're going to have to come to a close. But first we're going to do calls to action. We don't we have a cause to action, So whoever wants to start, okay, I won't hold you here.
Speaker 5: We go.
Speaker 6: My call to action first is to please make sure that you are talking to people who you don't always agree with.
Speaker 4: Make sure you're.
Speaker 1: Listening to things, watching things, reviewing things that you don't necessarily understand. I think, Tiff, what you were just saying about AI is perfect case in point.
Speaker 6: I am trying to learn how to use this thing, so this thing don't use me understand. So my call to action would be to please make sure, even while you're here, get to know somebody in your black family, tell them how you doing, wait and listen to the answer, and definitely make sure you connect with folks you don't agree with.
Speaker 1: My call to action is if you had a question or comment that we did not get to, please drop us a video. They will tell you I'm so intentional. Every week I yield my time. Sometimes I'll say I don't have a topic. I'd rather as use this time just to hear from our viewers. If you're new to the platform, we welcome you home to tune in and please feel welcome in this space. And yeah, please, if you had a question for any of us or a topic, I'd love the suggestion that we speak more about this dibility we had. Another person asked that same question last year on the campaign trail, so anything, there's literally nothing you can say that we don't play on the show.
Speaker 4: We want you to feel at home.
Speaker 1: So if you had your hand up and we didn't get you, please you can how they get it to us Lolo. They can DM it to our Instagram at native lampid and they can can they email it anywhere. I'll give y'all, I'll sweet out Angela's cell phone number and y'all can just text it to her directly and get us video beyond.
Speaker 3: People Andrew, it's fashionable to not do politics these days.
Speaker 5: It's dirty.
Speaker 3: It ends you up in conflict and fights and and conversations you don't think you're fully.
Speaker 5: Qualified to have.
Speaker 3: But politics, by definition is just the study of people. And as just in this conversation, I had so many sort of policy related responses I'd like to offer, but the truth is is often hedge it because people like to stay away from the political and I would just say, as Joy Reeve says, politics is doing us every day, whether it's how we get our parents to understand what an artificial video is versus what's real, or how we get a regulatory environment around artificial intelligence that keeps the American people at the center of it and not profit or how it is you curate in your own community conversations that are relatable to the people who live there versus what they're being fed. Politics is all up, through, beneath, under intertwined with all of it, and so I wish we could redefine how it is we think about politics as a season and an election and really consider it as it's.
Speaker 5: Every day, it's all the time. Twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: Those decisions are the ones at the beginning and the end of the day that are affecting your life and your livelihood, your ability to survive versus your ability to thrive.
Speaker 5: To them, You're.
Speaker 1: Gale, Tiffany Cross, and I'm Angela Rye.
Speaker 6: Where Native Lampid y'all Welcome home. Native Lampid is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reising Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.