Speaker 1: Celebrity Gobble Gobble club Kids. It's Thanksgiving, which means we're taking the week off, but we thought we'd dip back into the archives for a really thematically important episode.
Speaker 2: We found one of the most famous Massachusetts Pilgrim settlers.
Speaker 1: Because Thanksgiving was a time when Pocahontas and John Smith said, let's just spend the night in make the Charlotte Posta.
Speaker 2: And if Pocahontas was Ilaria Baldwin and John Smith was out of Baldwin, then we would be in business anyway. Please enjoy Ilaria Baldwin, Mama of seven, and maybe you're around the turkey right now with seven of your.
Speaker 1: Rascals, because Thanksgiving is ultimately about togetherness and family, and no one loves to be with her family Familia Vamilia than Hilaria Baldwin. So please enjoy this episode from the vault as you break.
Speaker 2: Bread and maybe get inspired for healthy sides for Thanksgiving. Okay, don't be pressured to have you know, Grandma's buttered yams. Maybe it's more grand nieces.
Speaker 1: Queen Wa Kale, shout out to all my grandnieces. Happy Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving. What's up? Club kids?
Speaker 2: Stephen and I right now are both in chair pose.
Speaker 1: Arms up. You have to arms the sky, which.
Speaker 2: Means we're not sitting on a chair. We're pretending we're sitting on a chair and we're engaging our course straight up.
Speaker 1: Well, oh my god, it's so painful.
Speaker 2: Ten seconds engage your bread.
Speaker 1: Yes, I won.
Speaker 2: I could have go on for longer, but again, I'm saying, with a mysterious sinus infection.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is horrifying. Who's that knocking at the door. It's all your friends, you filthy whrr Your husband's gone and we've got books and a bottle of wine to kill. It's Hollywood, it's books, it's gossip. I'm sure it's memoir. It's Martini.
Speaker 2: Celebtly poop Club.
Speaker 1: Read it while it's hot.
Speaker 2: Celebrity poop Club.
Speaker 1: Tell your secrets. We won't talk celebrity books. No boys are a loud cele say it loud and poud celebty book club.
Speaker 2: Buzz me in. I brought the queer.
Speaker 1: Voe ohmga go.
Speaker 2: Bien k pasa.
Speaker 1: Movie biano theme mon amiga.
Speaker 2: I'm grieving Tapa right now.
Speaker 1: I'm also craving I love the octopus of my of the country. Vacation and as a child Spain, it is so important to me.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I had for lunch?
Speaker 1: Let me guess, cilantro.
Speaker 2: E nice cucumber?
Speaker 1: Oh, cucumber, cukarma cucumber.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did bread. Wow, but it was it was a farmer's rye.
Speaker 1: Oh, well then it is a fiddle with that.
Speaker 2: Of sliced, chunky, heavenly summer tomatoes.
Speaker 1: And tomatoes no, but they were looking red.
Speaker 2: Okay, and como cities say cucumber.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so healthy. I had. I had a sandwich. We'll get into die in a second, but perhaps we can just jump right into this episode.
Speaker 2: Right and it's too exciting, and it's too urgent.
Speaker 1: Nothing has ever been more urgent.
Speaker 2: We read and uh an amazing.
Speaker 1: And immersed ourselves in one of the most important spiritual teachers of our generation.
Speaker 2: You all know her, maybe as al Baldin's wife.
Speaker 1: Some of you know her as Lily marn It's former, some of you know her as the Rachel Dolazol, but Spanish version say.
Speaker 2: It with me. Today we read a book by.
Speaker 1: Elaria Balden, also known as Hilaria Baldwin, and her book The Living Clearly Method, five principles for a fit body, healthy mind, and joy joyful life. So she of course is the yoga wife of Alec Baldwin. I think she just popped out her seventh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think seven.
Speaker 1: Her thing is just constantly being pregnant with Alec Balban's children. He's always like sixty five and just like, oh god, I had another one.
Speaker 2: And then she's always having like twins again, and then it's another like a single one and then a twin.
Speaker 1: She is fertile as fat.
Speaker 2: She is famously known for fully changing her accent to having a Spanish accent sometime.
Speaker 1: Let's get into that right off the bat, before we even get into the other. So, you know, so she's from Massachusetts. She's basically me slash u because her parents are doctors. Her dad worked at MGH. Her mom like also worked at Harvard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, her marbors at Harvard. They would vacation in Spain. But also, as we learned this book, had family land in Vermont, the Latin land of Vermont.
Speaker 1: And specifically in Majorca, which is like just as far as Spain goes, like, that's pretty kind of as fancy as it gets over there.
Speaker 2: Let's also just start with it. She was, and this is my favorite phrase, a senior when I was a freshman at favorite school of Buston. She was a senior when I was a freshman.
Speaker 1: And that was about the time that she, as she discusses in this book, her any disorder was going off, but also so was her love of flamenco.
Speaker 2: Which here we go. So, as I knew her when she was a senior and I was a freshman, her name was not Ilaria. It was going to go ahead and be Hillary.
Speaker 1: That is so crazy because Loca, that is Loka Chica. Her name is Hillary. But it was Hillary Thomas, like Hillary Lynn Thomas. Yeah, just the most daughter of a Harvard medical professor.
Speaker 2: And also Harvard Medical US.
Speaker 1: He can't be Spanish, Oh absolutely not. You can be Spanish as fuck over there in Cambridge. But they named her Hillary like her parents low key were like you, our white ass daughter is going to be named Hillary.
Speaker 2: I'm sure if you go to her birth records at you know, Brigham or Beth Israel, it's gonna go ahead and be Hillary.
Speaker 1: She was literally going by Hillary when she was a senior refreshman.
Speaker 2: Fully Hillary. But now, in defense of her Spanish heritage, is that like in high school every time? So we have these epic assemblies. I don't know if anyone for lates out there where we had assembly coordinators which were basically kind of the Jimmy Fallons or the David Letterman's of Assembly, and you know a lot of times maybe there'd be a special program, and it felt like almost every other assembly was literally Ilaria coming, then Hillary coming with her Flamenco partner and doing Flamenco dance for the school at assembly.
Speaker 1: Okay, so she was committed to the Spanish drag at that point quite yes, like.
Speaker 2: Yes, she was going by Hillary, But I was like everyone just kind of knew her as like the Flamenco dance girl, and she had like very like wet curls, would wear full do the Flamenco outfit. Had her partner, who I feel like was a random older guy, was very dancing with the stars. And then it would be like.
Speaker 1: So she was bringing in like her outside dance with the Stars partner to class. She was not a school person.
Speaker 2: And then it'd be like, okay, let's settle in for another one of like Hillary's Flamenco performances. And it was being so like literally flamenco. So I'm like, okay, you are Spanish.
Speaker 1: Questions and she and she was slaying. She was an amazing in a tear dress with castanettes and.
Speaker 2: Show yes castanettes. Like it felt very like, oh, this is a custom dress made at a Newton dance recital Clovier studio. And the guy would wear like such a like early two thousands, like shiny black express buttoned down like snatched waists like big dancers slacks, and they would just be snapping, snapping away.
Speaker 1: Clacking away, and it's like eight thirty in the morning, and you're being just like where's my coffee? More like where's my weed? Because you were a Stoneer.
Speaker 2: Fuck yeah, even though I like only spolled to weed once during high school because I was like, I mean during class, because I was like afraid because I'm actually like a poster and as you said, I'm like the biggest goody.
Speaker 1: Two shoes, Yes you are.
Speaker 2: And then you know, years later, an announcement comes out us weekly Alec Baldwin, Mary's yoga teacher, Ilaria Thomas.
Speaker 1: And you were like walk it back one minute.
Speaker 2: And rumbles started in the in the CSW alumni community where we're like, hold on, Ilaria. And then some people were like, wait, no, she was a yoga teacher at CSW. And then I was like, no, wait, she was Flamenco girl.
Speaker 1: And you were like, yeah, she got so flamenco girled that she literally got taken away and Hillary dropped off. And she was like, you know, it would be absolutely hilarious if I changed my name to hilarious Hilaria hilarious.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't think actually anything has been more hilarious than the name change from Hillary to Andaria.
Speaker 1: Bunniest thing that's ever happened. Sorry, Like she is a genius. She is a comedian. Her and Donald Trump, we are the two funniest people in America period. Okay, And like this is where so in the book, and this is like situating her in your high school. My first love was ballet, which I started as a toddler before quitting in a three year old's rebellion against the two strict teachers. Oh yeah, she's a total bad us.
Speaker 2: Which is why she probably on CSW a school for rebels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huge rebels, the forty five thousand dollars a year rebels. By age seven, I found my way into gymnastics. My small stature and agility made me a natural fit for its complex moves and rigorous training. By my early teens, I fell headlong into the world of Latin ballroom dance.
Speaker 2: Add in clamshell sounds.
Speaker 1: Equally demanding, but with tiny sequined dresses and gold lemee heels as a bonus. I love the combination of music, costumes, and artistry, and this part kills me. Latin ballroom was arduous yet glamorous in a fake tan in fake eyelashes kind of way. I love this, the subtle ownership of her round place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, She's like, yeah, you know what was really fun getting a fake tanning? And yes, was spray tans really popular in the early two thousands, Maybe they were. You would take lunch breaks, But did you start by going by Stefano?
Speaker 1: I really wish I had the fucking gumption. Yeah, I wish I had the balos this los balos that Ilaria did to go by Ilaria. If I just said I'm Stephano.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephano and I love dance.
Speaker 1: I am thinking bout dance And also just.
Speaker 2: Her general always vagary about like what country like She finally settled in Spain.
Speaker 1: But then she also said, according to her wiki, when I love to do all my research, she says she's culturally fluid and same girl.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and that was the things. I was reading a very recent article about her and Alec escaping after he shot someone, and it was like they escape to a home in Manchester, Vermont, where Ilaria's family has owned for generation.
Speaker 1: Well, some of the earliest conquistadores actually were settled in at sugar Bush.
Speaker 2: They were Colombo Ski Mountain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, Fernando, I believe it was Pizaro. He actually had a condo at Stowe.
Speaker 2: Killington was too expensive.
Speaker 1: It really was no back then because a lot of that gold that they were plundering that had to go back to the King and Queen over there in Spain. Then, oh my goodness, don't get me started.
Speaker 2: So it seems like after she left the wonderful school of Camera School of Weston, she went to the city of New York City to study dance. I'm guessing it was n Yu or Juilliard.
Speaker 1: It was to n Yo. Well, her origin story is that she saw a yoga studio on her way to class while she was a student. N Yu I'm like, I just love how much she owns being just like the most making normal ass fake, just like rich suburban Boston girl and her being like I have this crazy story where I went on Vacca to span Now when I was like Key. Then then when I was at I saw a studio the yoga I'm making her like so Italian and now.
Speaker 2: But in the West Village. And also when the whole cucumber video which I'm referring to is when she went on like Good Morning America or like one of those even like faker morning food shows. She went on and they were like making a salad and she lifted up a cucumber and she said almost ice cucumber, and then so everyone Then of course the csw alum started.
Speaker 1: It was like her name is Hillary, and there.
Speaker 2: Was like this whole article and then her big defense came out. She was like, well, I was always traveling back and forth with my family to Majorca.
Speaker 1: And well, and why shouldn't you, you know.
Speaker 2: Get confused and take the culture.
Speaker 1: All culturals appropriation. At the end of the day, all culture comes from somewhere else, and why wouldn't you absorb the space you're in on vacation as a child, I was forced to summer on Nantucket and and my way of copying my coping strategy.
Speaker 2: Turning into whale sound Stephen, what do you want for dinner? Who?
Speaker 1: Because that was the culture at the time. So she does. She suffers through anorexia and bolimia. Her nails were brittle, her hair was falling out. My period was mia, my energy had tanked. That's when I found yoga. I was hustling across the East village to my NYU classes one day when I saw a sign for a new yoga studio. I didn't know much about the practice, but I heard it gave people relief from stress and physical aches and pains. Instinctively sensing that yoga might help sustain my dance career, I grabbed a flyer and then stared at it for a week, working up the courage to try something new, not easy for a perfectionist and competitor like me. I finally summed up the nerve to try a basic class. Wearing baggy sweatpants and a tank top. I tipped out of the backgrow with me, Now, wow, this is bold, brave, terrifying.
Speaker 2: I'm also a little bit like my high school, Like I am so not yoga, Like I even took yoga in high school.
Speaker 1: No, I know, he was like, bitch, you already knew what yoga was.
Speaker 2: It's like my high school was that you could take yoga one yoga too, and there was like so many Kundalini masters always coming to our hyamphus and like there are fast African drummers to join the Kundalini and then a dance. It's like maybe she was spending so much time off campus in.
Speaker 1: Her like with her flamm.
Speaker 2: Flamming cobrace, so she wasn't taking yoga one for like her athletics.
Speaker 1: I just when she goes i'd heard of it.
Speaker 2: I've heard of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we never actually mass m I just like also like hustling kind of trying to subtlely evoke hustler culture.
Speaker 2: I feel like this whole what you is, This entire book is her talking about like hustle culture and how you need to make bowls for hustle culture.
Speaker 1: She's like, we're all.
Speaker 2: So busy, and I'm always so busy and my hours are crazy, and I was teaching yoga basically till three am, so I wasn't feeding myself.
Speaker 1: I was burnt out and I wasn't listening to my body. Okay, so then she so. Then the next sort of element of her origin story is that she breaks her hip slash leg randomly right as she's about to open Yoga Vida, her own yoga studio, and.
Speaker 2: She literally has to open Yoga Vita in a wheelchair.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So just imagine that for a second. Okay, a yoga opening a yoga studio in a wheelchair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mondays were hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you could You know, that really puts her in this difficult space, and that's how she has to find all of the other elements of yoga, and not just the physical, but really start to get in touch with the mental and the spiritual and emotional aspects of her practice. And that's when she begins to develop the Living Clearly method five principles to incorporate into your life.
Speaker 2: I will say overall, and we're going to go through all the methods. This to me is much more of a book of how to get control of an eating disorder versu a book about how to lose weight.
Speaker 1: Y Yeah, okay, okay, hair, I mean the book itself is just random, random, and it's so much completely generic information that is like circular and repackaged, where she's just saying things like before you do something, stop and create space through perspective you mean, And you're like, yoh, you mean think? Are you talking about thinking? Is that your hot tip? Hilarious? Book?
Speaker 2: Could not be like more general, more fake, more where you're like, okay, so it will just be like try whole grains and fish and you're like, is this a whole food's pamphlet that I picked up nine years ago?
Speaker 1: So her first principle of the Living Clearly method is perspective, and it's sort of like how you look at the world and you're like, oh, that's true. I need to kind of like think about that more. And there she talks about these things when you like get stressed and you need to pull back for a second. And then she has within the five principle there's other like so within the first one perspective, there's like four different steps and it's like first pause, then zoom out, then ask a question, then make a choice, and it's like and her example is like so like like before you eat something bad, pause, then zoom out and think about like, wait, what am I doing? Am I eating? Then ask a question, how will this big mac make me feel? Or will I like what it does to my dress size in five years? I know.
Speaker 2: It's like everything. And it's also like she has four methods, but they're all that like they're all the same. I feel like every page I turned to was like, well that second class of wine really make you feel better?
Speaker 1: Right, And you're like, and again, you're kind of just saying the process.
Speaker 2: Is thinking, and then she's like, what if you breathed.
Speaker 1: One of her other prospective moments is so here this photo her doing cher pots on the street, which is again just so satire of stock photography and it's iconic on like a West village street. She's driving her stroller one spring afternoon when I was pregnant with Raphael Alec and I took gutniment so and she just names all her kids fully Spanish names. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Everyone, You're like, it's I would say this book is mostly about Carmen being two and annoying her. And it's like, wow, sounded like Carman was really annoying you during this book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and I'm sure that kid is like really spoiled. We talked and laughed as we walked down the street. As we approached a corner, a woman nearly collided with Carmen's stroller. She looked at me, rolled her eyes and said some not so yogic words laudernav for Carmen to hear. I was surprised, but an effort to diffuse the situation, I simply said thank you. Well, that made her furious, and she launched into an angry ant about how I nearly crushed her foot with Gotaman's stroller. I'll admit that it was pretty tank like many strollers are these days, but we were walking slowly and carefully.
Speaker 2: You know, it was like a three thousand dollars McLaren Suv.
Speaker 1: And I love that she's admitting that, because, you know, this is one of my biggest pet peeves and we kind of touched upon this in the Naughty episode about car size. But strollers these days are SUV's. They are absolutely massive.
Speaker 2: They have eight cup holders, they have like full screens.
Speaker 1: It's like there's so many cup holders and ancillary bags and storage facilities on the stroller and it's kind of just like, at this point, you're not using it to cart your kid around you're carting half your apartment around with the.
Speaker 2: Ste Hello, here's a part a passage about how maybe kind of passionate her and Alex relationship is, but also like they do fight a lot. I find that my relationship with how it gives me the good ades opportunity to practice balance. Like getting married couple, we sometimes bicker and argue, often know for silly things, and because we both have strong personalities, our fights have the potential to escalate quickly.
Speaker 1: Before we know it.
Speaker 2: We're both agitated and then angry and resentful. These days, though we rarely move into hurtful arguments as we continually integrate each principle into our lives.
Speaker 1: Hmm, I'm sensing from that that he is basically storming out of the room while she's in chair posts.
Speaker 2: Yes, and she's like, get in jurors pose.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: By the way, when she says chair pose replaces coffee, it energizes you.
Speaker 1: I mean, I will say, I am feeling striked up after we just did twenty seconds of chair post like. It is a very intense post. For those of us who don't really work on their quads because they don't want big quods, it's a lot because the one that I was er I was, I go to a lot is putting the legs up on the wall, which I think is really great for getting blood flow, because your blood usually pools in your feet throughout the day and so then it falls back down into your chest cavity, and that.
Speaker 2: Is okay, the blood Master.
Speaker 1: It's great for a balance.
Speaker 2: I have a problem in the summer where I feel like and maybe I need to live the Living Clearly method and they eat more on zookie beans, but I feel like in the summer, like blood goes to my hands and my hands feel like heavy with blood.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's actually sign of pre diabetes. May I want to get that checked out book club.
Speaker 2: She's very pro meal planning and making bowls, and it's kind of like, I guess this book was written in what twenty sixty, Okay, so the beginning of bowl culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'd say bull culture had kind of started before. I think bull culture was in pretty full swing at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just saying literally, she didn't invent bulls. And it's just like, Babe, we know what a bowl is. And she just says chemoa nine million times. But she tells Alec she's like, okay, so we meal plan and make bowls. But then sometimes I will go to an old school NYC restaurant with Alec and they will serve a fluffy, oven made cornbread and I will have a slice of that.
Speaker 1: She says that cornbread isn't that bad for her because she's not diabetic. But let's just say you were, maybe you want to stay away from the corn bed. She's like, I can occasionally indulge in cornbread because I'm not diabetic, just so you guys know. But she's like, my monthly cornbread is okay. When we go to Las Colia, Yeah.
Speaker 2: She's like, I'm okay to have this one slice and she savors it. It's also this insane thin girl thing that I've seen girls do that she tells you to do, which is either smell something or have one bite and put it down and then you're fine.
Speaker 1: So I do think though this was an interesting point that she was making though about having one bite, because she talked she references from chef who says that basically, by the third bite, what you're trying to do is recreate the magic of the first bite, which I think is a fascinating concept. There's such a law of diminishing returns with eating, and I think that like we actually are chasing that, And so whether or not you struggle with overeating or or your weight or you're trying to lose weight or not, like, it's actually something to be really mindful of when eating, because I think that this sort of panic almost sets in. It reminds me a little bit of Jacks famous piece. It's like, first slice, you don't even know you're eating yet, second slice you can only enjoy it if you know the third one's coming. But then it's like by the third what you're doing is trying to recreate the joy.
Speaker 2: Of that the first and the second, and you're just like.
Speaker 1: And when you were actually enjoying the pizza, it made me think.
Speaker 2: Of it's a little more animal mentality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's like whether or not it's a bowl of cereal, like that first bite is always the best because it starts to get sauger and soggiar, right, and you're never as hungry as you were in the first bite, and hunger is the best spice. I think about even some of the fact you know, and this is why I think you know the fancy or of the restaurant, the small the dish is going to be because they know by that, you know, tenth bite or whatever, you're not going to be impressed anymore.
Speaker 2: No, and that's why you always actually are a little bit surprised at a tasting menu like our Foam restaurant in Chicago. I actually was very full by the end, even though.
Speaker 1: Right because you are eating enough, even though you're not. But our brains, our American brains, are trained to think will only be sated if we have this big, huge flavor with an eight ounce porterhouse on top of it.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about a woman, Sue's. I think her name is Susan Sanna.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. The Susanna story actually kind of really got me a little bit. So Susannah. So this is the chapter I'm breathing. So breathing is another one of the principles of living Cleuey, and this principle I found to be a lot more helpful than perspective breathing because does help. Breathing is real. And here's something to notice. I literally never notice when I'm breathing. And okay, so everyone listening to this podcast right now, Okay, if you are walking down the street, if you're sitting on it in your car, if you're at the gym, I want you to literally just stop right now, breathe and pay it and breathe.
Speaker 2: And here, why don't you stop talking and let's breathe.
Speaker 1: Wow, are you breathing? But pay it. But it's also about it's not just breathing slowly, because breathing slowly works. Why because your body responds to the speed of breath. She actually has this really fascinating thing where she's like, if you are breathing quickly, it actually it'll make your mind race. So do this thing where you breathe slowly and you're like, oh yeah, I find myself slowing down, calming down. But then try breathing quickly. Your mind will start to race. You'll start to have all these other little thoughts.
Speaker 2: I found that when I noticed that I'm not breathing, which actually helped with my driving immensely. And you may find this with other skills. Is I think when I was the worst driver, if like I was merging or getting on the highway and it was stressful, I actually.
Speaker 1: Were holy your breath.
Speaker 2: I would completely stop breathing, which makes you completely more anxious, lose function in the brain because you're not getting oxygen there. Yeah, and then and then when I was like, oh my god, okay, wait, let's just breathe, and then you become a better driver. And of course the stakes practice.
Speaker 1: Okay, no, it does. I mean like even while you were just talking just then I forgot to breathe also captivated. I was absolutely captivated with your storytelling.
Speaker 2: And were you trying to get new crazy thoughts you were like, okay, oh yeah, what is that called? Like thought play where you hold your breath and rip another time of breath work, like honestly less than yoga. I remember working for Jerry Springer. I was always running, running, running back and forth.
Speaker 1: And one of the things you're also I think smoking a lot of menthol cigarettes, which was not good for your breath work.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, they like I was forced to smoke with all of the guests because I would take them all for smoke breaks and they'd be like, are you gonna smoke with us? And I'd be like, okay. And this hot Pa was like, You're actually gonna become more out of breath if you keep on.
Speaker 1: And she was hot, and so that's why you listened to her, Yeah, And I think that's also one of the less because she's like, at the end of the day, like I'm hot, so you need to listen to me because I have a banging little body and I nabbed gazillionaire in The Hottest Bachelor of New York and this.
Speaker 2: Book is just being like, yeah, I like this guy now is like was like fat, but he's like so horny for me, so like I got him to eat bowls and to eat pasta prima vara with tofu.
Speaker 1: Good pussy, what have you eating tofu?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about soup. But back to Susannah for.
Speaker 1: A SECONDA she was really really stressed and type A and she was coming in to yoga class like being such a bitch to Hilaria and like always being like, actually, I think your class is actually kind of like you're going through the poses like and you're not your transitions aren't good, and it's like making me stressed, and also like I'm mad at everyone, and like she's just dissatisfied with everything all the time. And then Hilaria, without telling her, kind of shifts their practice to be just about breathing, and then she was like, Oh, when I got this bitch to actually focus on breathing, she like had to stop criticizing herself and me and everyone around her, and like a few weeks later she actually became nicer. And then I revealed to her she was like, girl, we've been actually just doing breath work for the past month, and like then she was like, oh fuck yeah.
Speaker 2: She bait and switch, but day and switch then on another little case study. She doesn't The case studies are like the most interesting part of the book because it's like any detail and the rest of it is just being like, mmm, buy almonds and bulk. She keeps on saying bulk produce like it's this thing that no one's ever heard of. She's like, actually your local grosser or.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, I mean, to be honest, I don't have the room for bulk produce in my New York City apartment. And I found that to be really fucked up in privileged of her to tell me to find deals.
Speaker 2: This is actually I just said everyone knows what bulk produce is, but now I'm realizing, you actually don't know what bulk purtose is.
Speaker 1: Because I don't have I don't have seven children with Spanish names. So I'm not buying eight heads of cabins a wee.
Speaker 2: Bulk like bulk grains doesn't mean you're getting like a Costco litter cat litter size of kinwall. It just means you go to the bulk section and you can like get how muchever you want and like little baggies.
Speaker 1: Oh they don't have that in my supermarket. They don't have that associated.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, so actually you are of this book is for you, like you do need to like come over to tipmus, I'll take here's the bulk produce section where you can get dates and instead of sometimes I know, Stephen, you like to keep a little log of cooky doo in the freezer and when you gnaw on it, what's going.
Speaker 1: Through your mind?
Speaker 2: Do you stop? No?
Speaker 1: I am being mindless and I'm not breathing and I'm attacking the cookie doo because I'm not listening to my body and the mind body connection is severed and my body just wants pleasure and my mind is being like you know what, I don't care. This is gonna make me feel right now?
Speaker 2: What if we replaced it with one? Will go to a book produce section, and she suggests get it.
Speaker 1: Positive dates, Oh, bulk dates.
Speaker 2: And which I've started getting from my co op and I, oh, I love dates too. Let's have a date date. Okay. This woman who like comes to her and like went through menopause and started gaining weight. And she's like, but I exercise all the time, Like, I don't get why her name is Margaret, And she told Margaret to keep a food journal. Well, turns out Margaret and her husband Paul were life on New Yorkers. They loved wine and making dinners. But then so she cuts out. She's able to like cut down the wine a little, She's able to like do She's being very like fish. But then the last thing is coffee. But this I found so funny. I felt her steely grip loosening on this established way of doing things. She and her husband unlimited their drinking dinner, and her weight continued to melt away. Empowered by this incredible weight loss, Margaret then turned towards her coffee habit. I had asked her what would happen if I didn't drink mocha every morning?
Speaker 1: His client is so mocha.
Speaker 2: I know like this. I love this Simes woman and being like, I need my mocha. It's like, who has a mocha every day? She started slowly decreasing her mocha consumption to a few days a week, and the weight continued to roll off.
Speaker 1: There we go, honey, it was the it was the mocha pound.
Speaker 2: It was the mocha pound. So it's like, I guess she was getting the most like Starbucks, like whole milk mocha every morning. And then her and her husband, this is a tip, she had started doing green tea mornings and she started.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to that time with her husband and the tea. Yeah. I mean, this is all one of those things where the whole self care industry has basically been like anything that makes you feel good is like good for you, and like it's important to like give yourself these moments. Well, you know what, my morning latte, my iced lattai from Honeymoon, the new coffee shop around the corner for me does make me feel good. And yes, it is like twelve dollars a day. And then you're just kind of like, well, maybe you need to use my brain more and honey.
Speaker 2: Conversation and we'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll circle back on.
Speaker 2: Which is so funny because today I was trying to be so living clearly and I went and got a green juice at one of my local coffee shops milk and honey. To your point, it's like it's always like, oh, instead of getting your twelve dollars latte, maybe just take a walk around the block or right.
Speaker 1: But it's like, there's a way to justify the latte as being something that keeps me grounded, which is her third principle, which is basically just about noticing gravity and being like wherever you are. And I do encourage our listeners right now, please notice if you're standing, notice the way your feet feel on the ground.
Speaker 2: The first exercise I did from this book, I was completely lying down, feeling very sick, and it just said you can lie down and just feel the world and your body curling you up like a blanket. How does your feet feel sinking into the couch? How does your head feel? Yoga's obsessed with like telling you to feel something that you can't feel. Do you know what I mean? Like Yoga's always being like feel your collar bone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going to the left.
Speaker 2: Feel your jaw raising when you're watching TV that's all yoga.
Speaker 1: It's so feel your collarbone and you're kind of like, okay, I yeah, let me just really quick, please circle back with my collar bone.
Speaker 2: And any time I've been a yoga class, I'm always like okay, and I think I have it for a second, I'm like, yeah, no, no.
Speaker 1: Totally, let's talk about our yoga experiences. Let's yea, lets do it. I I have occasionally done yoga throughout my life, and every single time I'm in yoga, it's I'm one of two men in the room, and like the other guy is such a like you know, bun on the top of the head, like whatever you like. Guy who like also like does it have like a great body, but has this like yoga body where it's kind of like he's got good posture, but he's like not so toned and he is just being so like yoga pants and like Bernie jon.
Speaker 2: Van Ness is how I imagine like most other men.
Speaker 1: In yoga one hundred percent it's only jvns. And then it's all these women, you know, range of body types, and they're all like doing the poses so perfectly imbalancing, and I'm just like I cannot keep up. I don't know what the fuck they're saying. Vinyasa's going into hivinyasa in like two seconds flat. Everyone's like and circle back and round three robin and back up to dead cow and down to round cow. And I'm just like, I really, I don't know what you're doing. And I'm sweating so much, I'm falling over, and it's discouraging.
Speaker 2: And it's intimidated that for those reasons. But then the second time, you're like, uh, well, I remember Hilaria style did in for your high school senior project. You do hot yoga.
Speaker 1: I did as.
Speaker 2: You had heard of technically, according to Ilaria, you had heard of yoga before Eli, Before Ilaria. My and my first yoga experience was positive because it was this is Cambridge. My mom's like private yoga teacher Candace, who was like a hot fifty year old with a tight bod see a theme here, And it was just me, my mom and my sister and she did like a lesson for us, and I feel like she was and I was so afraid clumsy, but she was being so like and lift one leg. And then I'm always the personal I assume you are when they're like if you need to use a block for this feel free.
Speaker 1: The condescending language around if you need the block, if if I.
Speaker 2: Need the block, and it's always this thing where I'm like.
Speaker 1: You're so fat and wobbly that you need a block, got one. But if you're able to find your center and not be a baby, then no, consider just actually doing the posts.
Speaker 2: And e Lauria is being kind of is being so if you need a block to the woman who's addictioned to Mocha's when she talks about her in the beginning, she's like, yeah, Marker was coming to my class and she was able to keep up even though she was really overweight. And it's like, I'm sure this woman was just kind of a chubby, like fifty year old, and she's like, can you believe it? She was able to do a pose?
Speaker 1: I mean, how do you think I feel as a traditionally thin Spanish woman going into yoga and I see literal private women doing the post is better than me? And I'm just like, how is your center of gravity more in tune than mine?
Speaker 2: Because they're breathing?
Speaker 1: Because well, yeah, it's true, it's because they're breathing. I also, okay, the bar some of her other insane types at the end where she's trying to incorporate like exercise in true life, a do pigeon posse while vacuuming, and you're just like, okay, is the series like is the vacuum on? Or am I turning the vacuum off and just doing pigeon and then going back to the vacuum. Then the part where she says, grocery shop on your tippy toes, So I'm in the bulk section and I'm just tippy toeing and there's like an insane photo shoot ever doing it.
Speaker 2: And then there's a photo where she is kissing al Baldwin while doing a handstand.
Speaker 1: Wait, no, that part is insane. Also the photo where she's he's like wait oh.
Speaker 2: Wait, the one where he's pressing a blending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's doing a headstand and on their massive kitchen island and then he's like holding the blender. This photo, I mean it needs a bottle pussy whipped in this. It really is giving this magazine. I'm sorry, this is like twenty ten net art right now, literally.
Speaker 2: Full net art where yeah, it's like the amount albow is fussy whipped.
Speaker 1: It's so like satirical consumeris like luxury aesthetic like.
Speaker 2: What and the house, the apartment that they're in is such an apartment I would clean and then get complaints about from the client. It's giving sixth ave and eighteenth five bedroom.
Speaker 1: Hold on the part where she describes her their meeting when she's at dining elfresco with her girlfriends, I'm sorry this part literally, I was like, did we did I write this? One night, I headed out with two girlfriends for a meal. I was feeling celebratory. I was fit and healthy. My business partner I had found a second location for expanding yoga studio. We decided to beat ourselves to a glass of wine al fresco as it was an unseasonbly war meving enjoying ourselves. My girlfriends and I chatted about everything from work to fitness to dating. Feeling very clear about what I wanted, I declared to the sky universe, I'm ready to meet someone and fall in love. Little did I know that, by a stroke of destiny, my husband to be with sitting just two tables away. My girlfriend whacked me on my leg, whispering, Hilaria, shut up. Alec Baldwin is looking at you.
Speaker 2: This is literally something you would write for like a women's like Earth Friendly Boot company. So I'm sitting with my girlfriends talking about politics, entertainment, dating, love, and exercise.
Speaker 1: My girlfriends and I chatted about exercise over wine.
Speaker 2: Of course, yes, was I having two glasses of a zingy a labrino. But I was celebrating, and I'm allowing that because I've been making feminine chema meal bowls all week.
Speaker 1: I peered over to his table and saw him staring at me. I recognized him, but only barely because I hardly ever went to the movies or watch TV. As I left the restaurant, he grabbed my hand, looked me square in the eye, and said, who are you? I must know you? And then they started dating also then he She says that they only shook hands for the first.
Speaker 2: Three months, but then they got married in like five months or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got married five months and had like thirty children. Boom. How does k vida KOs she manga? That's Italian.
Speaker 2: K Yeah, but I'm since I went to Mexico in a.
Speaker 1: Week, abi is maybe where? So listen, what is she wear? Yoga pants?
Speaker 2: Yoga pants?
Speaker 1: When off her tips? Is wear yoga pants and then you'll be ready to exercise. No one will know.
Speaker 2: I do think if you wear something you like when you're exercising, it will encourage you to exercise.
Speaker 1: And that's why this podcast is sponsored by fableat x.
Speaker 2: By two and get five off with our special code hid Aria.
Speaker 1: And then just like she's so basic and like she's I feel like she has the ability to make like Burg Dwarfs look like Macy's.
Speaker 2: Yes, like everything in here again like looks like something a detective from NCIS Las Vegas would wear, Like prop leather jacket.
Speaker 1: It's very Risolian aisles, like off duty vibes. And yet I bet she is going to like blooming Dails or Burg Dwarfs and paying like six hundred and fifty dollars for that leather jack right, and.
Speaker 2: It's like a brand you have, it's a three thousand dollars like Auricough leather jacket.
Speaker 1: She's so.
Speaker 2: And she's like, oh it's beautiful orakof and then like boots again Italian leather maybe or Spanner sorry when maybe she goes to a special boot maker in my.
Speaker 1: Work, Yeah, she loves to go to the Marquesa in Barcelona on her way back from Majorca and talked to all the shops and.
Speaker 2: No, it's very Christian cavalry where she was went into that guide for her Demi Fine Jewelry line where she's like, I'm meeting a boot maker today. Yeah, how does she live? I mean, as I was saying, like, this is very like it's bed bath and beyond in this way where like everything is like it's cream and grays. But I do feel like it's clean. But there's still a lot of toys and there's a maid like picking them up constantly, and everything kind of a wipeable service because they surface because they have nine hundred children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think it's very cream and Nancy Myer's and it's pretty boring and there's mad maids. I'm like me and like, I guess my only question is like does Alec Baldwin get a man cave in there at all? Or No?
Speaker 2: No, I think he has an office that he gets to that's like in the West Village.
Speaker 1: He just rents an office space and that's like actually a townhouse.
Speaker 2: Where he has like a secret yeah cigar or whatever. I can even like smell it. Those rooms that are like with it's like a Miss Myer's baby soap and the crib and the diaper trash and it's.
Speaker 1: Like, oh that diaper smell and everything.
Speaker 2: It's like it. Basically, it probably is a more expensive version of that's just like a Kia rocking chair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's you as well, say, I feel like there's actually not such an influencer room full of like weird fake products. I just don't think she's actually getting sent all this stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't think she is either. I think everyone is just like, what is wrong with her? And then I think she has her what you imagine her bulk produce pantry of a zuki beans and farrow and bulgar and millet. People always i'll hear theme of grains. I feel like people are mostly cooking quenwop when they're writing a book like this. They love to throw and millet and I'm just like.
Speaker 1: Right to try and be so medieval.
Speaker 2: And it's like, honey, you're not making a millet bowl with like a miso glaze. I just don't believe it.
Speaker 1: You're not doing me some millet reel it in?
Speaker 2: Who are you in the bug? Obviously, I'm like mocha addicted.
Speaker 1: Margaret, your mocha, mocha, Margaret, Moca Margaret. I mean I was seeing myself in Susannah and I did. I was like, uh, like, you know, I can focus on the negative a lot and forget to breathe. And I was I was seeing that. I was like, God, if I just slowed down, I might be able.
Speaker 2: And would you go in and correct the teacher.
Speaker 1: I don't think I would be so bold as to correct the teacher, but I'm sure I would afterwards be telling you being like, and here's the thing about the teacher is that she was actually going through the moves into chipperk way, and I would actually be talking so much about her and without maybe looking with them and trying to just do the work and be grateful for the experience and breathe.
Speaker 2: So reading wise, okay, if this was just a photography book, I would give it five millet balls out of five. But as a general book, I'm having to give it a a one out of a one, or a coffee leather jacket out of five. You mean you mean, oh sorry, Uno out of sinco.
Speaker 1: Also, do we forget to talk about how their wedding rings have a Spanish phrase engraved on them.
Speaker 2: So mus, okay, we need those rings.
Speaker 1: We are a good team. I'm just like you've somehow wrangled Alec into your Spanish cosplay.
Speaker 2: Like right, he's walking around with this ring. I mean also wife.
Speaker 1: He's pretending Majorca is important to his culture.
Speaker 2: Wife Illuminati. All the reviews on the back or one is from Howard's.
Speaker 1: Wife, They're all from wis.
Speaker 2: And then it's Christie Brinkley, and I mean Maria Manuna's she guess she's a wife, but she's more famous than her husband. So thank you, thank you, and I believe we're in Manunas is also from like Bedford or something.
Speaker 1: She is a Boston girl because I remember seeing her on the cover of Boston Common magazine. Okay, I never forget it. She tore that cover, mother mother, oh hell Laria. Yeah, I don't know. I'm giving it like those seeks bedroom villas in Majorca out of day because again, yeah, I I love the photography, and I think this satirical like consumerist like stock photography is very funny, and I love Alec Bobbin's role in the photography. However, there's so much filler in this book and the few points that she makes are like so hard to get to. When I think about someone like Kate Hudson's book, which is also like a lifestyle book, it's so much more fun. There's worksheets and call out boxes and it's just quizzes and like it's all in it just like it's just easy to consume. And quite frankly, this book was It's at two hundred and sixty pages, was a bit of a slow huk.
Speaker 2: A bit of slow you for saying that. The other thing, even if I wanted to like learn her crunches and stuff, it's always like, okay, the bicycle crunch. Actually you'll find instructions to that on page sixty seven, Like it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're kind of like, just just put the bicycle crunch in there. And then she's also wasting so much time being like and then here's four pages on like this Vinasa flow and you're just like, I know what yoga is. I'm gonna either go to go to a yoga class or not. But I don't need to die. Damn.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna walk to Adrian, but I'm not gonna like be like wait what.
Speaker 1: And obviously the writing is just so Monica Lewinsky, and she keeps being like the information information super high rates, so it is so stressful nowadays more than ever. We're connected to her phone.
Speaker 2: So its like and she's like, are you reading Twitter dot com while you eat and reading news about the world? Think about your.
Speaker 1: Food anyway, I would recommend that everyone pay attention to their breathing.
Speaker 2: Yes, and don't recommend this book, but pay attention to your breathing and maybe yeah, try eating and paying attention to the flavors. Maybe use tumeric or.
Speaker 1: Me so tumberc and miso and savor it the third bite, the third bite. Don't chase the first bite forever?
Speaker 2: Okay, well best uh Lutra grassows yeah, grass basis.
Speaker 1: Bien venido or credit. So the Celebrity Book Club. We are produced and edited by Derby Masters, and we are PRODUCTO supervisor by and our engineero is uh Bahi Fraser, and we are executive of Producto by Christina Everett. She's also so Bela. And our graphic design is by Terry Blanks Blanks Banks Blank Tank Clankings. He's a mod Grande Muco design and our song was the musica was made by Esteban Phillips Sort he's like super just Reli for us, he's one of my best time you guys, so thank you so much into produgue who who kind of like birthed this from their canal so early, so early on in the process. It was it was so fun and we was actually on think of the mayo that we made the show. That was the first day I was thinking of the mayo so Grassi as GRAZIASI