Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Weekly Zeitgeist. These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Yeah, so, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist. Miles. We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a physician, a musician, and a podcastitiondition you go with that, the host of the very fun, incredibly informative podcast House of pot It's doctor cave Holder. Wow, thank you. This is I have to say.
Speaker 2: I feel like I want to contest and I'm to be on the show.
Speaker 1: So thank you, And I feel I have to say I'm sorry that I'm on your show on one of the big news weeks of the year. I'm so sorry that it's me. So sorry.
Speaker 3: Nothing happened.
Speaker 1: We got that out of the way, and we know we knocked that ship out yesterday. We are good here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mobility issues, things like that.
Speaker 1: But just to be clear, yeah, you should feel as a expert physician and a great podcast so you should feel very grateful to be on our dumb podcast. It is entirely appropriate, odd enough, because imposter syndrome is super real okay, yeah to that and not a real.
Speaker 2: You guys are fantastic. You know what, I actually listen to your podcast. I bet you have a lot of guests they're too cool for school and they come on and their podcasters and they're like, don't actually listen.
Speaker 1: I actually listened to you. So yeah, we listened to yours.
Speaker 4: So, doctor k we have a Christy Gucci Mane, one of our favorites. Oh yeah yeah yeah, favorite listeners and guests of this podcast has.
Speaker 1: Been on your show multiple times. He has he has fun so funny. All right, Doctor Hoda, what's the comment comment? Come on, bro, come on dude. My life is a physician too, and she makes me call her doctor O'Brien.
Speaker 3: So that's that sounds excite specific your marriage?
Speaker 1: All right, it's my kink. What what can I say?
Speaker 3: Always playing doctor but it's not even the exam. It's just in a waiting room. Yeah, it's a doctor gonna see me yet?
Speaker 1: No, no, she's still refusing to see me, not answering my calls for weeks at a time. It makes you fill out forms when you come home. It's all paperwork basically, wait.
Speaker 3: Oh no, way, you lost the intake for him again, I guess I'll fill it out here board here I go.
Speaker 1: All right, very not exciting COVID. We are going to get into some questions we have as medical idiots. Just generally, your show does a good job of just kind of addressing some of the myths, some of the things that people are ignoring that they should be paying maybe a little bit more attention to. But before we get to that, we do like to get to know our guests a little bit better by asking you, what is something from your search history that is revealing about who you are?
Speaker 2: Okay, so what I just I just released an episode of my podcast today and I was researching some stuff for it, and I was looking on a pretty deep dive into insulin and some of the products in your blood that can show you if you're getting insulin from the outside of your body, like you're injecting it, or if your body's making it. And the reason I was doing that is because we just did an episode a follow up on Lucy let Be. I don't know if you're familiar with her. She is the nurse in the UK that was convicted last year of murdering seven babies in a intensive care unit. Yeah, it was a yeah, crazy story. We covered it last year, but since that time there has been this there's been a rising, you know, criticism of some of the defense that she had and whether or not they did a piss poor job or not, and whether or not there's a chance she could be innocent. So it's really kind of changed the game a little bit, and so we had to revisit some of the stuff. And one of the things was looking at insulin because if you get insulin from your own body, then you also have this thing called sea peptide that may show up. But if someone's injecting insulin into you and maybe too much, it can become harmful, especially to a little baby that may not need it, and that could be fatal to a really sick kid, and you won't get this thing called seapeptide in there. So it's something we check in the blood sometimes pretty rarely, but some of the case comes down to this question and whether or not that's a really youthful test or not. So I was going on a pretty deep dive to try and figure this out because it's a complicated question even for doctors and for people I'm not endocrinologists or anything. But I think even in that world, it's it can be challenging. So that's the latest thing on my my my searcher, my search browser, and probably going to get me into trouble all the recent looking up I did of dead babies.
Speaker 1: But hopefully this show helps create an alibi. There you go, and that that is what we are here for. So you're just like you're just solving medical mysteries like an episode of House over here, just on a basis most accurate medical show around absolute. I'm just kidding, what is the most generate? That's something that people always ask my wife, but she has her answer, what's your answer?
Speaker 2: I'm curious to know her answer. I think they're okay, there's no great show for it, because like an accurate depiction of medicine would be pretty boring. Would be like a group of doctors sitting in a room going over like charts and and like talking about like esoteric things and talking about electrolyte levels. That would be pretty boring. But I think the show that kind of gets like the pathos of medicine the best is R So.
Speaker 1: I think, like she says, yea scrubs, I didn't know if it was because we were just watching it at the time, and also she was going scrubs like friends, We're just the medical show.
Speaker 3: I don't know the NBA playoffs, do you know?
Speaker 1: Actually who did a good job.
Speaker 2: This is gonna sound funny, but the show Lost. They covered a lot of medical topics in that show, and they did it really I thought pretty well, like crush injuries and illness and uh fiber, they all these little things come up in the show. I think they probably had a pretty good like medical advisor on that show.
Speaker 3: When Jack Shepherd said that woman was gonna dance at her wedding, was that was that surgery possible? Because I feel like that was like the huge one. He's like, you're gonna dance at your wedding and then she would remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I I I'm sure it probably isn't. But I mean they're all kind of bad.
Speaker 1: But you're just mainly referring to the fact that, like you can with the right magical island cure somebody who's been paralyzed from the waist down. That's mainly what you're well, it's the one trick doctors don't want you to know exactly that is. That is our only question for you when we get to the medical part is.
Speaker 3: Onlogists don't want you to know exactly. Other question, Uh, do doctors use Google? Like if you're trying to responsibly like is there I mean, I'm sure there is it?
Speaker 1: Is it Google too? Yeah, well I'll tell you this, doctors. I'll say it like this.
Speaker 2: Doctors definitely look stuff up, and they should, like I mean, for most of the stuff they're dealing with, they don't need to every now and then there is going to be something that comes across that they haven't encountered for a while that they need to like review or fresh or there's some sort of like lab test they need to review, and you want someone who's willing to do that. Of course, the major difference is doctors we have a sense of where to go to find the information. We're not usually using Google. We have like search engines that are specifically for doctors, and we actually have like paid sites like that we would go to that give us sort of breakdown of things that we pay for like a yearly subscription for that help us at least points in the right direction. So, yeah, if you're if you see a doctor looking something up, don't freak out necessarily if you see them looking it up from like epoch times.
Speaker 1: That could be a problem, not be good.
Speaker 3: I'm using the right Yeah, yeah, the symptoms you could have, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I gotta just keep it. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Are you feeling like a character super Mario's.
Speaker 1: I don't let my doctor look anything up. I don't let them talk to another doctor because that's cheating. I make sure that they kiss clean before they perform surgery. This is all about what you can do, no cheating. What is something you think is as underrated.
Speaker 5: Underrated, vastly underrated, should be talked about the most often are big, giant, stupid tiki drinks. I love these giant tiki drinks. I love tiki culture.
Speaker 1: I'm all in.
Speaker 5: Give me tiki bars, give me hilarious tiki bars and tiki culture feel like if couples and struggling marriages worked on it instead of getting into swinging.
Speaker 3: Right, that's like, that's like the furthest it goes like.
Speaker 5: If you get sing, you just go to cruises. If you work on it, you just hang at tiki bars and you really like goofy drinks with funny names.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, the the most problematic we get is the white gays on Polynesian culture.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's that's how we get.
Speaker 5: And that's the name of one of the Pina Colada drinks, A y Z and I love the I'm all in. I just decided this is what I like now and I don't. I want to go to tiki bars. I think they're funny. I think they're weird. They have old One of the coolest bars in the world is a Tiki Tea in Los Angeles. I really love these things.
Speaker 1: I just want to go.
Speaker 5: Everyone's friendly and it's funny, and it's dark inside, and the drinks are hilarious.
Speaker 1: Before we started recording, it was mainly like you started noticing your affection increase around Charlottesville, right, You're like, I did. I did the torches.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, that drove prices up, and if you look up driving in Charlottesville, it's not good either.
Speaker 1: So it's because it's.
Speaker 3: Just reopened, I think, right, because they were closed for a minute.
Speaker 5: I think tragically someone in their family passed away.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: What I love about t et is they seem to own their land and their business and their property, and they're right in the middle of Silver Lake. But they don't need to be opened that much. They are just you know, this is such la insider baseball. But they're next to the Scientology production Center and they haven't sold their land to it yet, and I love that there are like an acre of land next door. They just closed for months. They're like, we're closed for August and September so our employees can chill. They don't know anyone anything. Only twenty people can go inside.
Speaker 1: I love them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I'm all in on tiki drinks.
Speaker 1: What's It's so funny.
Speaker 3: I was at City Walk and I went to Bubba Gump Shrimp and the got like a tiki like an tiki drink, and they're like, you know, for like an extra buck, you can take the glass home with you. And I'm like, yes, wait, really, yeah, I have the dumbest right now. I haven't used it, but I have a Bubba Gump Shrimp tiki glass. It's there's something I don't know what it is, Kyle, I'm here with you. There's just something so campy but comforting about this weird parallel universe, like where like this tiki shit.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's just I love it.
Speaker 5: I want to say victory.
Speaker 1: By the way, Yeah, just just wrote for one dollar three question marks, and then we just saw a Victor shaped hole in the wall behind him. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, the thing is you could also have taken it home for free.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, they're trying to get you to pay.
Speaker 5: A dollar to not steal it and to feel okay about theft, because I'm sure enough of them.
Speaker 1: Walked out the door.
Speaker 5: It was like the the the uh Moscow mules mug, great theft of twenty fourteen that where every bar went under investing in them.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie, bro the Griffin, I'm sorry. I was taking your fucking copper mugs full before you were asking for IDs.
Speaker 5: I would know when they started asking they would hold your id if you got a moscow.
Speaker 1: For the copper mug. I'm like, no, figure, this is mine.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I have way too many of those. I'm not proud of them, but it is fourtiky glasses. Give me the give me nice.
Speaker 1: What are tiky glasses? They're they're just like.
Speaker 3: There's like ceramic with like painted.
Speaker 5: You know, sort of like a weird face or a mass looking thing or like a parrot or something like that. Yeah, it's like, uh, Margueritaville without the ticketmaster fees o.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice, precisely. What's something you guys think it's overrated being awake?
Speaker 6: Honestly right now, consciousness, I just feel like there's just so many times that I'm just like, I don't know what else to do other than take a nap. I need to. It's like tapping out. It's like closing the laptop screen of reality, and I just need to do that so often. And I just feel like there's so many like who what wouldn't be solved by people taking a nap, Like all of the the assholes, the oppressors, take a nap. Just take a nash Yeah, just sushush hi and.
Speaker 3: Good night, so they don't enter they don't enter your dreams too, Freddy style. Yeah, it's Freddy Krueger's style for me. Then I have dreams like I'm in the Resource Wars.
Speaker 6: True, Kim and I are actually not afraid of Freddy Krueger. We already know how we would defeat him, and mine would be punching up all of his one liners, and Kim's would be either laughing sincerely at them and complimenting him on his.
Speaker 1: One you're so funny or you're so cute.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just become Freddy Kruger.
Speaker 6: Or what's worse is and I've been on the receiving end of this, and it hurts if if you make a joke you don't get and Kim doesn't think it's funny. There's no polite laughter, there's no like a good one. It's just a blank stare where you just feel like you have all the time in the world to contemplate where you went wrong in every aspect of your life.
Speaker 1: Sorry, he'd just cut off or cut or something. Take it, never mind.
Speaker 6: Do you want to hear the joke again?
Speaker 1: Did you not get it?
Speaker 8: Or yeah?
Speaker 6: So I don't about Freddy her dreams in my naps, I don't worry about.
Speaker 3: Making jokes, making jokes to my mom. Should do the same thing. Just be like it was. It's the facial equivalent of like, so you're into that, huh, proud of that one.
Speaker 6: It's it's just it's debilitating.
Speaker 1: It sticks like you.
Speaker 3: It's worse than like someone saying, dude, shut up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, honestly, I'd like it would welcome Kim being like you are such a dumb bitch, Like I would welcome it. But yeah, sometimes that's all you have to offer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get it. It's power though, it's power, its power.
Speaker 6: It's power.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I appreciate that. I appreciate those displays of power being awake. I feel that I had to do. You ever, like remember your dream too? Well, Like I had a dream last night. Yeah, and it was just like I spent the whole night looking for a bag and it was like just it was like I know, I left it in this house, this cottage on and just it was not there and I would just keep it was so boring and so frustrating and just like so I don't know, but were you.
Speaker 6: Able to trace it back to like something that you're struggling with in your consciousness?
Speaker 1: No, I just I just came back from a trip and probably there was like some stress that I'd leave a bag behind. It's like very straightforward, nothing interesting or like you know, no textures, just like yeah, and what was in the bag. It was my mom No, it wasn't. It was just like some clothes or some ship anyways. So I agree. I love I love especially that moment like as you're drifting off, when like the brain chemicals just start dumping in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: But then yeah, the dreams, my dreams. I just have notes for my dreams, like some yeah, some network fucking weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, last night I had one. I was I was working at an immersive theme park, like as a tour guide, but also I had to I know, but here's the thing. I had to pee, so like in real life it was time for me to pee, and yeah, I got to pee, but like I'm still doing this tour and it was like torn between like, ah, fuck, what do I do?
Speaker 1: And then pardon me? Was like dude, I gotta piss.
Speaker 3: And then I just kind of came out of the dream and then I tried to catch it like going back, you.
Speaker 1: Know how sometimes like I'm going back in.
Speaker 9: You just.
Speaker 3: No, it's been a while I've not like the closest I've come because I used to like as a kid, I remember my dreams when I pee the bed. I was peeing in the dream, like I found a bathroom and I started peeing, and then I'd like, oh, spaghettio bles, my bed is all wet. But now when I in a dream, when I see the bathroom, like I think I've become aware.
Speaker 1: Enough in my dreams. I'm like, oh, bro, you you're about to piss the bed. And I'm like, it's a dream. You did that when he was drunk a lot. Yeah, yeah, without the dreams. I just did it. It was my calling card for a number of years. What Kim, what is something you think is underrated or over Let's go with overrated. Let's try that.
Speaker 7: I had a hard time with this one, but I did have to google some options.
Speaker 1: I wasn't sure.
Speaker 7: I put unboxing videos, Okay, don't get it. I don't know if those are still a thing. I think for kids like the best, like the biggest kid YouTubers are like unboxers. Yeah, but I don't get it, Like why do I want to watch you? Yeah, get pretty cool thing? And then I don't have that cool thing, and then I just watch you have it.
Speaker 3: I think if you know you have no chance of getting it, then the next best thing is watching someone open it and just so you can see what all the cool stuff that it comes with is someone who would watch them and be like, why the fuck? Because I want I watched him. I felt like it was right after I forget which financial crash, but one of them I was like, oh, man, what's in this Like, what's in this new fangled like tech thing that I can't afford? And I was like, Oh, that's cool, that's cool, And then but I, yeah, that's about it.
Speaker 6: I don't I think I'm too covetous of a person.
Speaker 3: You'd covet your neighbors on boxing.
Speaker 1: Oh so you're just like mad that they got it, and yeah, fuck you. Yeah you're just saying you think you're better than me under your breath all the time. It feels like that feels like.
Speaker 3: An only child thing. Like I feel like I would be doing that as an only child, Like fuck, because I remember I remember being at birthday parties as a kid.
Speaker 1: I'm like, bro, they got that? Fuck Like.
Speaker 3: No, I'd be like, man, I would have I would have played the funk out of that toy, but then throw it on their pilots have one hundred toys.
Speaker 1: It just got I.
Speaker 6: Would just befriend them so that I could go over to their house and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And break it so they can never have it again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, or or try to be like we're trying to bring like a less cool toy over and be like, look who this thing is. You can have it if you want, Maybe I could we can trade it for like, I don't know, like that that thing that's not even that cool at all.
Speaker 1: I heard it's like for babies.
Speaker 3: Dude, Yeah, it's whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, this is like, this is cool. It's like a laser toy from Japan, but a toy to help you out, just to help you out.
Speaker 1: Dude. Wow, Oh really you like that? I want the back of the nose laughter. I feel like that's okay, okay, wait, so that was on your wish list? Oh?
Speaker 6: Really like back of the nose laughter as a description.
Speaker 8: That's great.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna steal that.
Speaker 3: Watch out, he's litigious, will come after you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and everything you own. If I hear you saying that.
Speaker 6: Well, I kind of think back of the nose laughing is for babies, though. Don't you think.
Speaker 1: I was just joking about being regious? I think it sucks. Actually, whatever, what else, it's yours, it's yours. Actually, I fucking hate it. I think it's all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and we'll talk about Jadie Vance. We'll be right back and we're back. And so, I don't know there was a lot of conversation around like how Trump was gonna walk away from the assassination attempt, and you know, he's like he was going to be changed, he was gonna be a unifier, and it seems like some things haven't changed at the very least. No, that is his willingness to grift to make that money.
Speaker 3: And he's already ranting, you know, just like fire and brimstone type shit. So the unifying thing, I don't know. I don't know where that from aside from like a talking point.
Speaker 1: But we'll see.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's yet to actually give his real speech at the RNC, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Grift on his almost martyredom has begun because now one of his companies is selling shitty sneakers with that now famous image of him bloodied and fist pumping, and these limited edition high tops here. I'll share it with the class meg in case you need to see these, because they are they are fantastic. They look like something you'd put together on a word document. Just be like, okay, let me drag this, let me drag this.
Speaker 8: Or is generous. I think I think this is like me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you're right, it is MS paint and like, yeah, it's true. It has his like fist pumpy, bloody face on it with the words fight, Fight, Fight on the soul And I know this is clearly a mock up and not what the original or what the actual final products look like will look like. But either way, it looks like shit. But the way they are promoting it is quote, these limited edition high tops featuring Trump's iconic image with his fist raised honor his unwavering determination and bravery. With only five thousand pairs available, each one is a true collector's item. Show your support and patriotic pride with these exclusive sneakers capturing a defining moment in history.
Speaker 1: Are they from him officially? Are they? Oh? Yeah? What? Yeah? You couldn't get away with it? Right? This is their own.
Speaker 3: Well, first I want to say before I get to the origin, they are only two hundred ninety nine dollars. That's steal right, And yes, thank you Meg, That's what I've been trying to tell Jack before we got on Mic admitted edition.
Speaker 1: The Gold ones.
Speaker 3: You remember the Gold ones that he debuted like sneaker con those sold for three ninety nine. So this is a bit of a This is a This is a nice entry point, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean, through the door.
Speaker 3: Very heavy but no, but there's a lot of like lead in the metallic materials, I think, so you should probably stop.
Speaker 8: Heavy is the foot that were's the.
Speaker 1: Shoe banks as they say, Wow, you are literary.
Speaker 3: Shit damn too online, dude, that was so fucking literary.
Speaker 1: Fuck with that.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I'm like sidelined and like I really got to step my shit up. But ten random pairs of these five thousand will be signed. But here's the thing. These shoes, which I've called the air Red Flag twos, they are being made by the exact same company that did the gold sneaker. And Trump's like, they're not political, they don't have anything to do with the campaign or whatever. But this company he owns the fucking company that makes them. And like the address if you look for the business is located is like his golf one of his golf courses in Florida.
Speaker 1: So it's not technically like you shouldn't be doing this.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jack in the Year of Harlower twenty four, we know not how crime is.
Speaker 1: What is it to even say that.
Speaker 8: Crimes don't exist anymore? It's just it's a free for all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, only thought crimes. Yeah, they seem like bootleg like Avengers shoes like you know, you know, like children's clothing or children's shoes that have just like a screen printed Robert Downey Juinger on it, you know, like it, right, because you don't put photographs on shoes as far as like, I can't think of another example of a photograph on shoes other than bootleg Avengers sneakers.
Speaker 3: Say Jalen Brown, I think had some interesting paintings on his sneakers in the past, right, but I don't know about Yeah, I don't know about direct to garment printing. It looks like like what Homelander from The Boys would wear like.
Speaker 1: Once he's fully washed. Yeah, you know what I need? I need these, like, I need pictures of these out in the wild, because I think they're gonna look amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, just like the gold sneakers they spoiler alert, they looked like.
Speaker 8: Shit, what do you mean are they not American.
Speaker 3: Maid No, not even close, not even close for them to turn the kind of profit they want off a three hundred and ninety nine dollars sneaker. Like, I'm sure these are being made for like four to five.
Speaker 1: So do with that information what you will. It didn't just look like you were standing in the briefcase from pulp fiction, like you just had the glow of the golden logo. No, no, unfortunately not no. All right, so we still don't know much about the motive at this point of the person who the twenty year old Matthew Crooks. No, Matthew Crooks is his dad, right, his Thomas Matthew Crooks. Thomas Matthew Crooks. That's how you know three names. Yeah, But we continue to learn little bits about him, like that his dad was like highly targeted, highly indexed by the Trump campaign back in twenty sixteen because of he had all the all the factors you look for in a Facebook like data profile. He was like I think number seven of like thousands of people in his town.
Speaker 3: Like they're or to point ninety nine on a scale of one point zero in terms of like what they figured as like a voter who would be like especially open to targeted messaging around gun rights. Yes, so I mean all that really does is show that like Crooks came from a conservative home, but like really nothing else about his motives. But meanwhile, both sides continue to point fingers and come up with all kinds of shit. There's like it was Biden pulling strings with the Secret Service to get Trump got.
Speaker 1: Or Trump definitely seems like Biden by the way, like right now, he seems like somebody who's just behind everything, pulling the strings, super competent. Sure sure, sure yeah.
Speaker 3: Or a lot of liberals are coping by saying like this is did Trump's had to have staged this to help, you know, really cement his candidacy. Then other people like this is retaliation from the deep state. Then there was like the Secret Service was trying to make it look like an accident and the who's gonna get JFK or whatever. Then another person like it's the fact that there were women that exist in the Secret Service. That's that's why, and fun, that's clearly the problem. Yeah, the DEI bullshit is so on point, like for the right, because everything is DEI now, like it's whether that's their way to be like not at this point, not really coded racism, but you know that they're just like I don't want to say the N word, saw say DEI. I don't want to say I outwardly hate women. I'll let the policies speak for that, but I will I will summon DEI as a way to cast dispersions on the Secret Service. But like even Eric Trump was on CNN like fully putting his support behind the Secret Service agents. He said, quote one of the females on the stage, she's with me for three years. I know everything about her. She would take a bullet for me. She would take a bullet for him, as courageous as they come. Same with everybody else who was around him. The head of his detail was on that stage too, so ac quoting Eric Trump, quote the female one is okay.
Speaker 8: The best way to know that you're an ally to women you call them females.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are the females on this stage? I'm like, are you on a men's rights podcast right now?
Speaker 1: What the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 3: And it was also reported but earlier this week, that the Secret Service was actually became aware of a plan that the Iranian government had a plot to potentially assassinate Trump said this quote. Secret Service learned of the increased threat from this threat stream. The National Security Council directly contacted the Secret Service at a senior level to be absolutely sure they continue to track the latest reporting, and they said as a result of this quote, Secret Service surged resources and assets for the protection of former President Trump. All of this was in advance of Saturday. That means law enforcement was apparently beefing up their presence and had were being extra vigilant. Yet this person was able to climb on the roof of a building that had law enforcement inside of it, just to add insult to injury.
Speaker 1: So wait, there was law enforcement in the building that he was living ones. What does that sound?
Speaker 3: I know it's like squirrels or something, But I think it's also entirely possible that, like the police are not good at their jobs.
Speaker 1: WHOA.
Speaker 8: Obviously I don't say it with your whole chip.
Speaker 1: Sorry I don't. I don't know if I can.
Speaker 9: But maybe that could also be true here, because I've seen a lot over the last few years that would suggest they're not the best at preventing crimes.
Speaker 3: They're usually really good at violating people's rights and personhood or you know, ending their lives tragically. That seems to be something that they have demonstrated high efficiency at. But yeah, I don't know. That's not the conversation being had right now. It's either DEI or was staged. Those are your two options, Democrats and Republicans. I actually see no signs of societal rot here at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do not like incompetence as the explanation for a historical event. Generally we will just write the incompetence out, whether it be Hitler oversleeping on D Day and like everybody being too scared to wake him up and that be the thing that like helped the Allied forces win D Day, or you know, the version of the jfk assassination, which I think is the most reasonable explanation that a secret service agent actually fired the third shot that actually struck him in the head and killed him by accident. But when you raise that possibility to people, they are hostile. They're fucking they want you to shut up. Human error. Yeah, they don't like that shit at all.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 8: This sounds like a great topic for me to bring up this Thanksgiving with my father.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, we just don't want to admit that it's a bunch of dummies out there.
Speaker 3: What would the response be from your dad if you said, I don't know, maybe they messed up and aren't that good?
Speaker 1: All right? Well, that is my favorite Thanksgiving side is the Gin the Gin? Sure? Sure, sure, yeah, all right. I do want to just touch on it because the reasons to replace Joe Biden have not stopped rolling in. There's been some high profile moments, obviously in the aftermath of an attempted assassination on one of the presidential candidates. He had a couple of speeches that he gave. The one where he said we saw resolve our differences at the battle box and injured and he was seriously injured. He was seriously injured, and the differences at the battle box and seems to recognize it and then go back and say battle box again. But that was pre taped, right, That wasn't That wasn't like a live press conference in front with an audience. It was like him at his desk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's him at the desk. But I don't know, I honestly don't know the nature of whether it was fully live or pre taped.
Speaker 1: Either way, he just couldn't pull it off. He couldn't do the thing. There's there's like this interview with Complex magazine where he just like can't do it. It's like nineteen minutes he you know it might seem like, oh, well he doesn't give a shit. He's like with complex but like that he needs to nail every interview first of all. And also you know it's like a young audience who he's really struggling with, and he just like can't maintain his train of thought. Like there's one part where you know, the first question the guy, the first question is like, so you're getting up there, man, Like a lot of people think you're too old. And he I tried to transcribe this, but he says, I didn't plan on running because in twenty twenty, when Barack asked me to be vice president, which was a tremendous honor, I joined him, which was a great honor. But after that I became professor at the Universe. It's just like the timeline is like all fucked up.
Speaker 3: And then he like brought up Charlottesville and you're like yeah, and like all he had to.
Speaker 1: Say was like what I didn't want to run, and then Charlottesville happened and that's when I decided. But like he's just he can't stay on point, and like there are multiple times in this interview where this like eighteen year old kid, I don't. I don't know how old Speedy.
Speaker 3: From Speedy No Speedy Speedy.
Speaker 1: Is bailing him out. Like multiple times he's like okay, so that's Later, he's asked why Trump has support of people in the hip hop community, and like Biden talks about his work on civil rights in high school, I think, he says, but then like, can we just play the ending of this? Yeah, yeah, because it's just he just shorts out and the number of folks participating didn't slow down because it didn't reduce.
Speaker 7: So look, I you know.
Speaker 1: Trump, there are some people who've made their mind and they decided.
Speaker 3: He said, never mind. But you know, Trump, what is it with Speedy doing interviews where people get like the famous Ray Oh he's the Ray J indestructible. Yeah, He's like, go ahead, Speedy, break them there, Come on, I don't care.
Speaker 1: And now Joe Biden's out here. But you know Trump, pause pause, pause.
Speaker 3: He did a similar thing at the NAACP convention too.
Speaker 1: It's just not work like, it's just he's not like this is alarming to anybody who's not lying to themselves right.
Speaker 8: Now, anyone who has a pulse.
Speaker 1: And so I don't know, so immediately after the assassination attempt on Donald Trump. People, we're making this argument that well that this stops the attempt to replace Biden in its tracks. Like the like they we can't that thing is that idea is dead and it doesn't make like there there's no argument there, Like the only argument I've seen is that Trump is like the attempt to assassination is taking up all the media attention. But like, we're not asking for you to make a great TV moment, We're asking you to do what is best for the fucking country. And well, I think.
Speaker 10: It's the the same thing of like all the dums are just stuck and pillaying respectability politics. They don't want to they don't want to rock the boat, like they don't want to I don't want to change anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but wouldn't when everyone's distracted be a good time to admit, like to go ahead and do the thing that you need to do with this candidate.
Speaker 8: And they're gonna seize a good idea, right Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well this is the thing with the DNC, right, Like they're just so fully controlled by like that donor class and they do a great job as we've seen over the many years at just outright ignoring public sentiment fully and like for some reason, the conversation only got frantic until after like the celebrity George Clooney in that New York Times breakup op ed was like, Yo, this dude is a fucking scale. What are we fucking talking about here? And not like it wasn't all the people saying he is too old for this ship for like literal years now, like you know, like they did everything they could. They nuked the primary debate schedule and pretty much forced this bad choice on everyone and hardly what I would call a you know, like democratic process. Yet we're being like beaten to death with this messaging about the fate of our democracy.
Speaker 1: It's really frustrating.
Speaker 3: And it's the DNC, like specifically that is like protecting Biden, and that's why we are now hearing talks of like a virtual role call to accelerate his nomination right and basically have him be the nominee like well over a month before the actual convention happens, And if that happened, that would effectively just make the actual convention meaningless like at the end of August. The whole point, even though it is very ceremonial. It's like to get a sort of you know, it's like we're moving out of the primary season and now we're into the general election season. Everybody's together, they're united around the candidate. But if they're like, sorry, assholes, we did this one behind your backs. This is your fucking person. Now you get to hear you know, open'real to make a speech or something, it's a very different, different, very different vibe. And I think again that's sort of how the DNC works. So it's like, we don't want anyone, we don't want any debate, We're don't want to discuss anything, we don't want any dissent. Because you also think about the thirty six delegates that are the uncommitted delegates in states that were able to have delegates be uncommitted, like in Michigan, Minnesota, other states like that, that was that's a big moment for those people to really air their grievances about what's happening in Gaza and potentially get some kind of concession from the administration or potential new administration. But if it's all said and done, there's really nothing to be fucking worked out at all, and it just becomes like a foregone conclusion, and yeah, they just really don't want any open descent on the convention floor. And this is just sort of part and parcel of what they're doing. And now they're just fully just doubling down on this terrible fucking hand and demonstrating, you know, the lack of awareness that has plagued them.
Speaker 1: They're actively pushing back against some of their biggest donors right now, which you know, like that is that's very UNDNC is to be like, well, what the fuck you know, like your donors, like they're donors who are withholding funding from candidates like down you know, down ballot ballot local candidates, they're withholding funding from them if they don't openly call for Biden to step aside, like they're like you that, we need you to do that. I don't know if we're getting a you know, outsize amount of attention on the people who want him to step aside, because that is the more interesting like news angle, and therefore it just seems like it's the consensus when it's a small portion of the consensus. But it does seem pretty straightforward. But I don't know how you run him. I just don't know how he continues to run the country and run for president.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, if like you, if the decline was this series between twin and now, that's it gonna look like between now, it doesn't get better even twenty twenty six, like the mid terms, and then you're fully dealing with like a meme president where people like, dude, this guy like the spooky ghosts from the Indiana Jones movie in a super like No, it's like not gonna work. It's just a and yeah, it's really It really hinders any kind of ground swell of support that could occur if there was a candidate where at LEAs people were like, well, at least that person could formulate a sentence coherently in a debate consistently for the next four years ish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Biden has said, like his logic is that he would only step aside if there was a health thing, which, buddy, I don't know like what, but I guess he needs the doctors who gave him a clean bill of health like a few months ago to come back and be like, all right, we're fucking around, like you're you're a mess up there. Or He also said if he thought there was no path for him to win, not if he thought someone else had a better path to win. It's just if he thought he had no path to win, which is pretty wild. Like, so his logic is entirely self centered, Like in that respect, it's only the only thing that matters is that he has a small chance at winning. They're trying to get us all on board with think about the collective good, Like that's all I'm thinking about, is like what could possibly stop Donald Trump from being the next president? Like that, you know, that's what everybody else is thinking about. And he's like, only only if I can't possibly win, which seems just wild.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the mindset that's like so pervasive in DC, just in general and politics. It's just you have some of these people who are like, I'm gonna die holding on to power, and that's like my right, and it only leads us to just again, nothing inspiring, more of the same and at worst seeing this thing unfold in like a really grim way, while they continue to be like everything America will end and you're like and we're counting on okay, right, okay, wait, as.
Speaker 10: Long as they can continue to just bang out the you need to vote, that's the only way you'll see change party line. You know, it's just the assumption that everyone's going to get in the line because it can't.
Speaker 3: Get worse, right, right, Yeah, it's yeah. Then that they've they've done an amazing job at making this all Like I'm pretty I need to look at his website. But a while ago, there weren't really there wasn't really anything policy wise on their campaign website. It was just like issues, which I'm also like, come on, man, like where's the policy, Like, let's talk about policy rather than like, yeah, we know body autonomy is important. What's your fucking plan? We know the Supreme Court is fucking corrupt and completely politicized. What's your plan? And it sounds like there there he was supposed to make an announcement on that about on Monday, actually about Supreme Court reforms. But again, the assassination attempt completely has sort of derailed the speaking schedule.
Speaker 1: So but they are expecting, like by the time you hear this, there might be a plan out. It's supposed to be announced fairly soon. He's been working, he's been in the lab talking to constitutional scholars at about like term limits and you know, various Supreme court reforms, but I think it would be pretty tricky to pull off based on what I've read to this point.
Speaker 3: But yeah, what that plan is on Joe Biden dot com like under issues like it'll be things like protecting and strengthening our democracy, growing the middle class, fighting to lower costs for working families. It's more just like and it's always juxtaposed with like what the campaign believes and then what Trump would do, and it's everything like substantives like yeah, we need good high paying jobs.
Speaker 1: Okay, talk about how that becomes reality.
Speaker 3: It's like, we we believe in good high paying jobs, and it's like but Donald Trump doesn't, Oh okay, give a little bit more. Rather than just merely again they've this is like from the curse. It is the gift in the curse and running against Yeah, it's the gift in the curse of running against Donald Trump. As we've seen is that the entire DNC strategy is just to merely just gesture to the Republicans as their entire platform and be like, well that no, and it's just it's completely that well.
Speaker 1: Has run pretty dry. At this point, I feel like, yeah, all right, well, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and we'll talk about twisters.
Speaker 11: Okay, and we're back, and I do I am curious as someone who has kind of worked in the fields of medical bullshit, like what your diagnosis would be for why our current information ecosystem is so bad.
Speaker 1: Like I feel like it's the Internet, for sure, but I also feel like there's this underlying hyper capitalism ethos where like Goop can be completely full of shit but still get like good press because it's got like because it's making money basically because it's like I don't you know, business insider, The business insider of it all is like, yeah, she's made a great product and that's cool. It's called yeah. And so there's just like so many ways to launder this pseudo scientific bullshit that I feel like used to be relegated to the back of like magazines, and now is like, you know, a big, multi billion dollar brand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like the dodgy ads from the back of the magazine are now are like medical truths that we have accepted.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, this is I don't think you're misreading that. I think that is kind of what I'm seeing as well. I mean grifts, medical grifts, I mean they've been around forever, but and they reinvent themselves all the time. Like I got interviewed about Gwyneth Paltrow's rectal ozone therapy and I had to look into that and I was like, oh, that's not necessarily new. I mean, it's just one way or another. Yeah, yeah, don't do it as long and the short of it. But like copy enemas, enemas to detox and clans, all these things that that people try to do, They're like urine therapy, drinking urine. These are things that always come back in one form or another.
Speaker 1: Like Napoleon was doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, And and it is getting worse. And I think a lot of that is sort of the direct to consumer marketing that you see from like these people, these influencers online or people selling supplements and that sort of thing. So and these people have like zero sense of medical ethics because most of them aren't doctors, and the ones that are medical professionals don't seem to care that much. I will also put some of the blame on us as doctors, because you know, we talk about placebo and you know usually in the past doctors Beck, yeah, placibo find if it works great, and that's true. I usually don't care, but we let a lot of stuff that seemed inconsequential go in the past and not fight.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: So Gwyneth Paltrow wants to put a jade egg in her vagina, what's the the harm? You know, they want to they want to take this whatever pill X or supplement. What's the harm? It's a low risk thing, and the truth of it is what we have seen. I think there's a direct line between people doing that and thinking, well, Okay, this alternative therapy seems to it seems truthy enough, and then they start to believe that more and more, and then when it comes to something that's maybe a more real, like proven medical treatment or say a vaccine, they don't know who to trust because there's so much out there, so much information out there that seems contradictory, that we sort.
Speaker 1: Of letl that.
Speaker 2: Like now if someone who is an influencer who you know, we never like addressed before, is now saying something a little more serious and consequential like don't get your vaccine, then that now we have a real problem. And I think we have to now be more aggressive about these things.
Speaker 1: Like even if it's a low risk thing for most people to take supplements, and for most people it is, it's low risk. Not for everyone. They put like you know, a lot of like we joked about, like lead in these things you'll see, but like there's things in there.
Speaker 2: That can hurt deliver. There's even like liver cleanses that actually have ingredients in them that can hurt deliver because it's completely unregulated. There's very little regulation that goes into this, and so you know, if we're not careful about the little things, then they can spiral. They can sort of like snowball into bigger and bigger problems down the road and really help erode a lack in real medical treatment, proven evidence based science treatment, you know. And so I think it's a lot on us as doctors. We have to be more vigilant about this stuff and call out bullshit even if it seems relatively and consequential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you.
Speaker 3: Think there's another part too, because I mean, I'm sure this has something to do with it, because our medical system, especially here in the United States, is so bad that so many people end up slipping through the cracks or having a doctor that isn't taking them seriously. And you know, small issues become things that are life threatening very quickly. And then and then anecdotally that gets around it's like, well the doctors don't what the fuck they're talking about and shit like that. How much of like sort of the you know, trying to resolve all this is also just sort of on having like a better medical system where people feel like, ah, this this seems more dependable because I feel like a lot of distress someone it comes from someone with like an anecdote about something that happened to someone they know. And that's why now it's like, ah, well they're just saying shit or whatever. They don't think they're gonna miss stuff. That's why I do my own research or et cetera, or whatever you know, thing that people want to say when it comes to that.
Speaker 1: First of all, how dare you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, our medical system is a wreck. We pay more and we get worse quality than we should. And then a lot of countries who are supposed to be are sort of at our level are doing so absolutely and people are looking for other means to get care and treatment. I I mean, I'm always a little worried about doing this because people, you know, I'm worried about giving direct medical care and treatment online because you can't do that you don't know somebody online. But we do need to create a better system so people don't have to turn two things online. They don't have to like look for a doctor or someone online recommending a treatment or going to some sort of like you know app where they can order like psychiatric meds. And they should have better care directly from their medical offices that they go to or hopefully have the insurance to even go to see a doctor. So yeah, no, I mean a big part of this I totally acknowledge is based on the fact that our system is very dysfunctional, if not broken, and all on top of that, something else you mentioned is true too. I mean, people oftentimes feel like they're not being listened to by their doctor, and I can see that, I understand it. I'm sure it happens constantly all the time, and that's hard. I mean a lot of I feel for the doctors too in that regards, because most of these primary care doctors are extraordinarily overworked, right, and they're swamped with email after email after email, and they can't really put in the energy and the time to each one to make that person feel heard. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try. It doesn't mean that that's not something we need to do. But yeah, I know a lot of people who don't feel like they're listened to by the medical profession. Sometimes that can have devastating consequences. Oftentimes not, but sometimes it can be devastating.
Speaker 3: And since you did concede that point, are you willing to say that electrolytes are something we need because I see that it's one of the top sellings When I look at supplements, like I'm looking at the like Amazon Health, I feel like, looking at the top charted products on Amazon, it's a good idea of what people think they need for their bodies, and electrolytes is like one of the high everyone's fucking on electrolytes right now. Yes, just because we don't want to drink water. I'm like, it's just weird to me. I'm like, isn't that just that's the salt they put in gatorade.
Speaker 1: It's because we've lost our way and nobody wants to drink gatorade anymore because it wants to work.
Speaker 3: No one wants to work, and no one wants to drink Gatorade.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, water isn't that sexy anymore, people like I mean, it has to be like death Liquid or whatever the name of that company, different than like it just officially became a geriatric So like this is that's a real that's a real thing. That's a the electrolyte thing. It can be useful for people like serious athletes, but for most of us, regular water mart of hydration like that exactly, You're not most people are not becoming like hyponetrimik when they're like doing their exercise. But I mean again, it's one of those things where for a long time we're just like, oh, okay, whatever, smart water, that's great, and it exists right right, And now now I mean again.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's all. I'm starting to feel more and more like it's a slippery slope. The more we accept sort of like unnecessary stuff, the worst the outcomes down the road become so and then we end up with someone like RFK, who actually is like.
Speaker 2: A legitimate, you know, candidate. I mean, he's not gonna win, but still he's actually out there and people are hearing and listening to his garbage. And but I I'm sorry, I really dislike him, so I shouldn't have brought him up.
Speaker 1: But that's how we get people like that in.
Speaker 3: Our lives, right, Yeah, from not being like no, you're wrong, go leave leave, Yeah exactly, No, No I'm telling you. I'm telling you about these vaccines.
Speaker 1: Man, you're like, no, you're not telling this ship Yeah, yeah, it's interesting. Like the doctor Oz like Wager, like you know, his argument to himself seemed to be that it was all worth it because he was educating people on stuff they wouldn't have normally like been educated about, and it was fine if he like flubbed the margins a little bit or like told a couple lies here and there, and then you know, we see where that ends. And I feel like the whole that's kind of what you're describing just across the board a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, that's exactly it. And I feel a little bit for for him, because I you know, if you're doing a show every day and you have to just start like coming up with shit medically, at some point, some of the stuff's going to get questionable. But I mean, you know, he should he's supposedly, he was supposedly a good doctor. You know, he should that, Like you can't lose that, and if you do, you have to sep congress doctor Oz, you know, just the Oz at that point. So I mean, yeah, but that that is exactly the That's exactly what happened. He started out with him talking about like poop and like he was a guy who like taught you, like all of our mother is, like what a normal poop shape is supposed to be like on the Oprah Winfrey Show, and that was like fine, cool, we talked about firebars, but that was a very slow and gradual descent into nonsense and gibberish.
Speaker 3: Yeah to him saying the vagina is like a self cleaning oven, and you're like, what is going on? You're saying this many times out loud, Okay.
Speaker 1: It's weird when he says it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is like self cleaning oven. Like what who are you, like a Maytag repair person or a doctor?
Speaker 2: Well, well, I'll tell you this. He gets that line maybe from Jen Gunter, who is a very famous and I think a really great obi Guinde, And that is a response to like trying to tell people you don't necessarily need to be doing cleanses. It comes down to the whole clensing so so in that sense, I think that's where he got it. But then he is one of these guys who will, like, you know, he'll have people on who are on the fringes of the medical world and want to sell things, and he gives them air and he's given them lots of attention he did when he had a show. So yeah, he also sucks all the doctors. I can't think of really one that's famous online that I'm trying or TV.
Speaker 1: That's not doctor feel Good. Yeah, he is the one to call doctor Pat, the aforementioned doctor Pepper. It's pretty Yeah, it helps helps the healthy nerve, helps you feel great, did great work overseas? Yeah. Is there a subject that you think we've missed that is just something that you come up against like either a bullshit belief or I know I've heard you talk about you know. The answer is often like, we don't actually know on a lot of things. You know, something that most people think we definitively know that's more of a mystery, or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's probably a lot, but I will say that, you know, because I'm a gast entrologist. One of the things that I get asked a lot about our people will talk me about our coffee enemas and that's the constant bane of my existence. And if I can use this as a platform to tell people to not get them, I will. I mean, coffee is great. I love coffee. I think there's actual health benefits to coffee. There's actually some decent ones. We actually did an episode of our show with one of the weirder ones with a great hepatologist named Elliott Tapper, prop the musician and podcaster and Deepak Choper's brother who is a doctor as well, in studies coffee in a weirdest and there's a lot of health benefits. Yes, it was an interesting one, and in that episode we really covered a lot of the health benefits of it. But there is no added benefit to putting coffee up your butt and potential harm and not just if it's hot. It could be some chemical thing in there that irritates your cold as well. So don't do that, don't don't do like that, don't do cleanses.
Speaker 3: I think the first person I heard talk about it like it was a celect. I feel like it was like Janet Jackson or some ship coffee. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're like somehow I remember like in the nineties, it was like this one thing, We're like, dude, that celebrity is just boofing, just gallons of coffee in there butt and that's I think the new way to.
Speaker 1: Live or something.
Speaker 3: And it sort of, yeah, became very very popular, very quickly.
Speaker 1: So do we just stick to only putting alcoholic beverages up our ass? No coffee?
Speaker 2: And we ticked away your joy? Yeah, there was an a monster, guys. And I'm I do have to say, I feel like I always have to be looks. I'm not totally against things going into butts, Okay, I'm just saying, yeah, don't put coffee work and.
Speaker 3: How you might think you will, Yeah, sure, sure, sure, sure, all right, and that's just like your medical opinion.
Speaker 1: Man. All right, that's gonna do it. For this week's weekly Zeitgeist, please like and review the show If you like, the show means the world of Miles. He needs your validation, folks. I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to him Monday. Bye at Doctor and f