Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of Cutting the Distance. Today, I'm not gonna have a guest. I'm just gonna go over some listener questions. You know, a lot of times we interview somebody, we talk about turkey hunting, and maybe some of those tactics are too advanced, or maybe those tactics don't make sense to him yet. So I've been getting a lot of questions by maybe a big game hunter or somebody just wanting to get into turkey hunting, and they've got a lot of questions on what do they need, what's a minimum, what do they have to have, What's you know, something that's nice to have but not necessarily needed.
Speaker 2: So I was just gonna take.
Speaker 1: Today's time and just kind of go over that for a new turkey hunter.
Speaker 2: You know, it's the middle of January, late January.
Speaker 1: Now, turkey hunt's kind of right around the corner, and for those that haven't did it, it may be a little bit of a daunting task on what do you need? And if you're a beginner turkey hunter or a season turkey hunter, there may be a few things you can pick up during this episode that you did or didn't already know. So the first thing we're gonna go, We're gonna we're gonna skip the listener questions today and we're just gonna go into a list of questions that that I've kind of copy and pasted in here from people over the over the last couple of months they want to get into Turkey, and then we'll go through those. So what do you need as a minimum to go out in the Turkey woods? I would say ideally you're gonna have to have either one a twenty you know, or a twelve gage shotgun. With some of the new ammunition, you can actually get away now with some of these four tens with specific ammo loaded four four turkeys, you know, with the with the with TSS coming online the way it has, and some of the things you've been able to do with some of the smaller shots, four ten is now a very very good option for the youth or for anybody on turkeys. I would say twenty and twelve gages are still more widely used, just a little more range, a little denser pattern typically, So you either need a shotgun or if you want to take on archery, you know, turke handing out of the gate, your bow set up will will do as well. You know, there are other states that allow for other other weapons, but for for today, we're just going to talk shotguns and and archery equipment. Shotgun is easy to understand. You're you're looking to get a hit on the head, neck area, you know. And we're going to get into to AMMO a little bit as well. But one thing you need to do is find a good ammunition. And I just mentioned TSS, and I would say TSS makes the four tens a viable option. But if you're if you're wanting to do this on a on a budget and don't want to shoot a shotgun shell that's anywhere from five to fifteen dollars a piece, I would recommend you you just you got a pattern your gun. But there's a lot of different manufacturers out there that make you know, fours and fives and six's, whether it's heavy shot, whether your state allows lead or copper plated lead, whatever it may be. Just go pattern your gun. And when I go to pattern my shotgun, I'm not looking for a certain number of hits within a certain you know area. I know a lot of people talk about, you know, three to four hits within the neck and brain area. What I'm looking for is I typically draw like a ten inch circle, which and then within that tenant circle, I'm looking for a very even, uniform and as dense of pattern as I can get. I want there to not be you know, too many areas in there that that doesn't have a BB within like a one inch circle, you know, out out to about thirty yards, and then checking for the the effect inness is that that load. You know, some of these tss that I do shoot out of my twelve gage, you know, I can keep that sort of pattern density all the way out to fifty or sixty yards just because there's so many of those number eights or number nine's in that shot that you know, my my pattern is is viable, you know, out to that fifty yard range. Now do I want to shoot a turkey out there? Ideally? No, But knowing your gun's capabilities and also, uh, you know, with that load, you need to you need to find the load.
Speaker 2: That your gun with your choke shoots. Well.
Speaker 1: Just because your buddy has the same gun you do and the same choke you do and search uh you know, shoots a certain type of AMMO doesn't necessarily mean that that gun is going to shoot identical to your buddies. Now, the chances of it shooting similar are more likely, but you still need to go pattern and test your own gun, your own load to make sure that that's you know, a good option. Now, if you're going out with archery gear, there are different trains of thought. You know, they've got you know, a lot of broadhead companies have specific you know broadheads with with very large cutting diameters for you know, shooting them in the head. They're also you can use standard you know broadheads, expandables, fixed blades and uh you know, shoot them in the vitals just like you would. You know, like like you're big game hunting, I personally, you know, aside from the kill zones that are put on the turkey targets, I've never went out and archie hunted turkeys until this year. And so you know that's one thing that I'm going to have to educate myself on a little bit more. Is based on shooting angles and uh, you know, vitals kind of where where I'm gonna need to aim, you know, on a on a big game, I've kind of got it dialed. You no matter which angle the animal is, I know where the vitals are, where I can get through what that bone structure looks like on a turkey. I'm gonna have to kind of refresh where the vitals sit, you know, if it's not a headshot, where where's a good shot. And then also, you know, an archery hunter has got the big drawback.
Speaker 2: Of not being seen.
Speaker 1: Why you try to draw your boats a lot of times. If if these tombs are in full strut or whatnot, you need to figure out when you can draw your bow, not be seen and be able to be an efficient archery, you know, turkey hunter. So with that said, those are kind of the two things you need to turkey hunt. And you know, aside from a license or a tag for your respective state or the respective area you want to hunt, I would say that's really all that's required for turkey hunting. A weapon, a tag, and license. Everything from there on turkey hunting is going to be a bonus or a luxury at that point.
Speaker 2: Do you need calls? No? Do you need decoys no? Do you have to have a blind No.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of things you can do, especially on certain turkeys that are patternable or if you scout them, you can just set up on their their travel paths and do just fine. Now, that isn't why I set out every spring to turkey hunt. I want to interact with the bird. I want to get them to gobble. I want to be on their path. But being a well rounded turkey hunter, being able to use some of that scouting and some of that path you know, pathways and stuff that the turkeys just naturally want to use, will go a long ways in allowing me to be in the right spot to call them in. So let's go into t like camo does. Do you need specific leafy suits or will any camo do? I guess I'll start off it. That really depends on whether you're in a blind or not. If you're in a blind, black clothes on a travel path would work just fine. Like you don't need to have you know, the best camo.
Speaker 2: Out there. Now, I will.
Speaker 1: Say movement is more important or lack of movement is more important than camo in my opinion, whether you're wearing the best camo completely concealed, if you move at the wrong time when that turkey can see you, if they if they detect anything out of the norm, they're gonna typically bust and you're not going to get a second chance at them. If this is a new turkey hunter, you haven't got a chance to experience just how much they pick up and how slight of movement they will pick up. You'll be you'll be in for a surprise when you go to you know, to to move your foot or your foots a sleep and you move one way or the other way, they're there.
Speaker 2: They they will pick it up.
Speaker 1: So when I'm turkey hunting, movement is sloth like slow. If I've got to bring the gun up, if I've got a pan, everything is very deliberate and very very slow, like over exaggerated slow to get my gun in position, unless I need to make a quick shot or I can swing really quick and no, I'm gonna get on it.
Speaker 2: Everything else I do is very subtle.
Speaker 1: We'll get into calling in a little bit, but even as far as running box calls, pot calls, mouth calls, if that movement's involved and you think they can see it, you need to be smart about when you're calling and when they when they can pick it up. So Camo, I say, it's best to wear a cameo that fits in with the area you're hunting. You want to you want to be as natural and and and you want to disappear as much as possible, and you're surrounding myself. I'm a tree sitter. I don't like to be in a blind I don't you know, put myself buying a pile of brush. I found that I can't shoot as well if I and and while you're trying not to make noise, if you've got to swing your gun or you you know, try to get drawn in a brush pile, it's going to be detrimental. So I try to sit in front of a clear tree, let the tree break up my my outline and use that to my advantage. And uh, you know, when you set up on the tree, one thing you need to be looking for as a turkey hunter is that you've got clear shooting lanes out in front of you that you didn't give yourself, like little small slivers on where you expect that turkey to be coming from.
Speaker 2: So camo.
Speaker 1: Not acquired, but definitely, in my opinion, adds to you know, the success of a turkey hunter. And let's you get away with a little bit more movement. Now on the same topic as camel, like, are there any you know, absolutely do not it to white turkey hunting, and I would say colors that you'll see on turkeys that you want to shoot. So let's say a Tom reds, whites, and blues. You know, the color of tom turkey's heads. You especially on public land, maybe not as important on private land, but I would still definitely avoid those colors. Don't wear red, white, and blue, if at all possible. You know why you're wire hunting. It's just it's there's no need to, and all you do is open yourself up to the potential of somebody that doesn't identify their game very well. You know, there's been lots of horse stories of people being shot in the Turkey woods, so we just want to avoid that if possible. One thing that does kind of go along with camel as well is face mask.
Speaker 2: Is there any need for face covering?
Speaker 1: And I don't have any scientific backup for this, but I feel like a turkey both eye eye contact and like facial recognition, Like it's one of those things that a turkey will pick up.
Speaker 2: More so than not. And so I always wear a face covering as much.
Speaker 1: Of my nose, my mouth, you know, chin everything that I can basically just leaving my eyes exposed, I found seems to get me picked off a little less than than by by you know, not wearing a face covering or just having face paint on or whatever it may be. A full covering mask seems to be the ticket. Let's move into scouting. You can be the greatest color in the world.
Speaker 2: You know you can.
Speaker 1: You can travel a bunch of distance, you can do a lot of things to make up for this. But I feel like all of that aside scouting your area. Knowing where the birds are at, knowing where the birds want to be, is going to be one of the best things you can do to ensure that you're going to have some success come your spring season. With that said, we also need to be very wreck you know, we need to recognize and be conscious of those If you're scouting earlier, let's say, into March or early April, that flock and where those birds are at is going to change fairly drastically from from the start of that scouting, you know, mid March, to the start of hunting season in April. And so if you were to go on a scouting trip mid March and come back over on the opener, you know, April fifteenth, come back over on your trip May first. Whatever it may be, those trickies are going to be a different areas. The flocks are going to look different than the dynamics of those flocks are going to be different. And so the closer you can scout two season and ensure that those birds are where you think they are, the better likelihood of them being there is which you know not to be obvious, but but the closer the yard of season. It's just something I've heard over and over. They went and scouted middle of March there antsy coming off a winner to go to go look for you know, turkeys, They find them, and then they go back in the middle of April. And then the next message I get is where the turkeys out? Why aren't they in that area where I had them? Everywhere, you know, typically during the you know, whether it's human pressure, whether it's just areas they want to be in. Did they fallow the snow line up? It just really depends where you're hunting and what those birds want to do. I know, the place we hunt in Kansas, the earlier in the season, the better that property holds the birds early. But then as the as the you know, spring goes on, those toms continue to disperse and cover more ground, and kind of they don't all leave his property, but they definitely become thinner on some of those properties. Here in Washington where we're hunting, you know, mountain country. A lot of times we still have snow fairly low middle of April, and as you know, May Mega moves on and that snow line's moving up. Some of those birds will walk up the mountain with the snow line. So you could see those birds move. Yeah, they're only five hundred feet up in elevation, but they might be a couple miles away as they as they moved up. So you got to keep all of that in mind as you're scouting for birds and then kind of where you're gonna find them come season. Do you need decoys or not? I always have decoys with me.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: When I first started and couldn't afford anything, it was a lot of like the Flambeau little foam folder decoys I could throw in the back of my vest. Now I tend to carry a life sized Dave Smith around with me, at least a hen, if not a hen and a jake. I will say, especially in Kansas on easterns. When we were running and gunning in Washington last year, we did pack one of the hens around, but we didn't have as much time to set her up. On certain scenarios. It's been a little hit or miss. Sometimes you will see, you know, birds decoy perfect, They'll they'll see the decoy, they'll come in. Other times they'll see the decoy maybe out of place, or it just it surprised them and it hasn't worked. So I would I would recommend everybody play with it see if it works for you. I've had great success with them, and I've had times where I wondered, like, huh, I wonder if I didn't have a decoy out there, if it would have worked. So it's it's really trying to find your own way to hunt. I always have decoys with me, whether we elect to use them or not. As a different story, if I'm in I would say my general thumb is if I'm in a spot where that decoy can get the tricky's eyes off of me, or can be seen from a long ways away. You know, if they're gonna be on a on a power line meadow, or or they're gonna be somewhere where they can see along ways and that decoy can get their attention.
Speaker 2: Will typically put it out.
Speaker 1: If we're in tight, if we're in the timber or a bird, it's not the visual is not going to be to our advantage, then we'll typically leave, you know, just set the bag next to our chair.
Speaker 2: And go with that.
Speaker 1: Do you need to bring blinds or makeshift ground blinds out in the woods. I'm I don't like being tied up in an area. Now, if you've got really good info and you've scouted well, and you know birds are likely to come by, you know, get your blind out early. Make make it so it's not you know, surprise that the turkey on Opening Dale beside. You know, all of a sudden a blind shows up.
Speaker 2: You can use them. I like to be more mobile.
Speaker 1: I like to kind of run and gun, regardless of whether I'm you know, hunting Easterns or or Rio's or Marriam's here in Washington.
Speaker 2: I like to stay mobile.
Speaker 1: But on that same thread, what I do like to do is carry some pruning shears because a lot of times there may be brush that's in a way or an area where you want to set up where you've got good visibility, but some of the brush, like within five to ten yards, makes it so you can't. You can cut that out of your way, cut it out in a way where you can still see, but kind of gives you some concealment. And that's That's one thing I do like to do is cut myself into a hole. I've got good visibility, maybe not giving up my entire face by cutting out limbs and making so that you can see out and get a shot if needed. So rather than carry blinds or concealment cloth or makeshift blind material, we typically bring shears and we can we can kind of brush ourselves in or add some brush as.
Speaker 2: Needed, so that kind of goes for gear.
Speaker 1: The last thing I'll talk about, and I would say this is definitely a luxury, not a requirement. There have been plenty of days where I've got call kind of stuffed in all my pockets, says do you need a vest or do you need a pack of any sort? I grew up Tricky Hunton. I always had a vest of some sort. You know, back in the day, I think I was running like a primos. One of Will's vest that was, you know, I had all kinds of pockets and holes and you know, striker holders and showholders and why I loved it, there is room for everything. It was pretty heavy, and on some of these warmer days when you get into early May, becomes a warmer option. It seemed to be a lot nowadays. You know Paul fhf He's designed an Apex belt. I was able to test it. You know, last year they released it limited release here prior to twenty three and then it should be a full release for twenty four. I really like it because it's really streamlined. It allows me to keep a chest pack on it, lets me have some some pockets on the belt. But it's it's a very lightweight, breathable system. And I don't feel like I've got a heavy, cumbersome vest on as I hunt. So a vest is another one of those things where it's not a requirement.
Speaker 2: It is. It is a luxury.
Speaker 1: But for those that have them, or can afford them or want them, it can definitely be a nice addition. For sure, you get the season and a lot of guys, you know, you need to locate turkeys and and this is different whether I'm in Kansas or around home in Kansas, a lot of times we may not even roost birds because they typically if they don't get bumped off of those trees, they will typically roost in those same trees. So a lot of times we will go out at night listen, but we're not so dead set on roosting those turkeys as we are. Let's say we're in eastern Washington and these birds are falling the snow lineup, or these merriams are all over the mountain side. They will roost potentially in a different spot night after night after night. And we found that if we don't go roost birds here in eastern Washington, or you know, the same goes for the Idaho mountain birds or so on Montana birds, it's a little more important. So we go out every night, you know about that time of fly up, so I would say, you know about you know, sundown on. You know, they'll be on the ground for another twenty twenty five minutes and then eventually they'll fly up, and then you've got about a thirty to thirty five maybe even a forty.
Speaker 2: Five minute window.
Speaker 1: We found over there, Well, those birds will talk a lot while they're in their roost, so we will, uh if we're driving roads, if there's a county road, if we're in on a ridge system, we'll go in there and just listen after, you know, after fly up some calls you can use during that time. You can use your your out hooter, you can use crow calls. One of my favorite nighttime locators, which I do not use during the daytime because I don't want them to feel that there's a coyout on the ground, is just a quick coyout. How it's a great nighttime locator. We seem to get really good responses out of that. So we'll go up get to a good vantage, just like you're trying to locate a bugle or anywhere up high where you can hear a lot of country and locate a bird. Then if we need to, we can drive to a lower area, try to get a better pinpoint on them, and then make sure we've got a good idea because in the morning we're gonna want to start there. That's where we're gonna start our hunt. When you do find a roost tree, if you've got them pretty you know pretty well defined that. The next thing I like to do is get on on X or if you know the area really well and try to figure out which way they're going to pitch out of that tree. If you haven't got a chance to see them pitch out of that tree, if you haven't had a chance to see what they do in that area. A lot of times we set up.
Speaker 2: Wrong in the morning. Are we going kind of blind? And we just set up close to the.
Speaker 1: Roosting birds and they typically pitch out the opposite direction. So put a little thought into where you think that bird is going to pitch and why, and then that could definitely help. And even more so, you don't have to be so close to the bird. You can go out one hundred and fifty hundred yards if you think that that's where that bird's gonna gonna push out or feed or you know where they're gonna strut, definitely go that direction rather than, you know, just just below the tree somewhere. Now, with that said, I seem to always struggle regardless of where I set up on a roofs tree. It seems like the bird always wants to do something you know that that I don't want them to do, or go direction I don't want them to go.
Speaker 2: And I've always struggled, like you do. Some tree helps.
Speaker 1: You always want to get their attention or at least let them know you're there, versus being completely quiet, hoping that you pick the right direction. And I always kind of, you know, go back and forth. And there's been some times where it's worked great, and there's been some times where it's like I shouldn't have, shouldn't have made a sound. So it's really up to you to kind of figure out, you know, what what you what you want to do, if you want to make a sound, or if you want to alert them of your location so at least they know there's no real right or wrong answer there. But I would say typically lean towards at least making some really soft tree helps and then putting the call away. So let's get into you know, one thing that a lot of people for me spring turkeys about using the calls and the vocalizations and getting these things to come in on a string if possible. So what vocalizations as a turkey hunter do you need to be able to make to call a burden? I would say, if you can only learn one sound, just your typical seven to nine note yelp is going to be, you know, your best, your best call that you can go out in the woods with now not saying that you're limiting yourself because being able to have the ability to cluck per bubble, you know, bubble cluck, cut, you know, any of those sort of calls can add to the realism, especially if they're doing it out in the woods. But going out there with a minimum of the ability to yelp will be to your advantage. How do you mimic realistic turkey calls rather than what you hear everybody do When I'm testing turkey calls, or when I'm when I'm you're researching vocalizations, or maybe I'm I'm recording audio. A lot of times I just go to real turkey sounds. I go out to video clips of real turkey sounds. I don't try to sound like another caller. I go to try to sound like realistic turkeys, real turkeys. YouTube is a great spot to go listen to real turkeys do their thing and call. You know, we always try to we always try to put their calling into a perfect little cookie cutter box, you know, a seven to nine note. Yep, Well, guess what you can go on YouTube and listen to a turkey rattle off fifty or sixty ELPs in a row. You can also hear turkeys very subtly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know they'll do like four y ELPs.
Speaker 1: You just need to go and decide for yourself what's realistic turkey calls.
Speaker 2: And uh, you know what you need to do to mimic those.
Speaker 1: Now, with that said, one of the the main questions I get manufacturing turkey calls is which ones do I need or which ones should I get? I always recommend mouth diaphragms for people that are learning or experienced. The best thing about mouth diaphragms is the movement is minimal and it allows you to have access to your weapon. Any other call that I know of, aside from a mouth diaphragm, will require you to use your hands in some form or fashion number one, making more movement number two, not allowing you to have access to your weapon at the same time. So mouth calls are always number one, but the level of difficulty in learning those is typically higher than the other calls. So but I always recommend you at least get one and practice and give it a shot. From there, I would say box calls and pot calls or sometimes equally is easy to learn. I would say boxes maybe easier. You know, you got to box call typically made out of a wood base with a wood paddle, and by running those over and creating the friction from the base to the paddle, you get you know, a turkey yelp or a turkey sound. You can you can cluck on a box call, you can purr, you can yelp, you can do a lot of things and very easy to use just by swiping the paddle. Pot calls are made out of a multitude of materials. I would say the most common would be a wood pot or a plastic pot with slate, glass, aluminum copper, a slate tech type material, a material that's kind of an engineered material, and typically you will use a peg with that. So you use a striker on top of the conditions surface. So by making small semi circles or oblong circles, small j's, by dragging your striker down, you can get your purrs sharp pushes down the board. You can get your clucks or cuts, depending on how loud you want those. And those are typically going to be also a lot easier to run, a little less movement than box calls, but maybe a little more difficulty in learning to run those those are those are kind of the three calls. Now, there's a lot of other specialty calls. We've got tube cutting calls. We've got spring box calls where you know there's a there's a spring and you can push your push your pullpin calls. But I would say the majority of your turkey calls are going to be mouth diaphragms, box calls, or pot calls. Now that you're out there, can you recommend, you know, calling sequences for different phases of the hunt? How does varying your cadence affect your responsiveness all of this stuff? So it's very tough on a hunt to go out there and tell you exactly how you should call. Now, I'm gonna leave you with a few things. Is when you're out in the woods, what are the other turkeys doing? Are those hands being very very voisious? Are they being to the point of overcalling? Are they being aggressive? So you're kind of you're kind of reading, kind of reading the room. How are the other turkeys responding? How talkative are they? But then the other thing you're gonna do is, how is that tom that you really want to come into your location? How is he responding to your calling? Is he fired up when you cluck? Is he fired up when you yell?
Speaker 2: Is he fly? You know?
Speaker 1: Is he fired up? On this or that? Last year in Washington, I was there with my good buddy John and Simon in eastern Washington, and you know, we don't typically pull.
Speaker 2: We've always got a box call with us.
Speaker 1: We've always got what you know, all of our calls with us, but there's just some that we use more than the other. On this particular hunt, we kept coming back to my box call, which is the meat eater X Phelps box call. There was something about it, whether it was the time of the year, whether it was you know, quietness, whether you know, whether it was elevation, whatever it may be. We could get turkeys to respond to that box call better than we could our mouth diaphragms or our pot calls. So it was one of those things where just because what those turkeys in the field wanted to hear, what they responded to, we picked up on that and we used that box call more so than not. Now, it did add some difficulty, like I said before, is we're trying to call those birds into our location with a box call. It's sometimes very very tricky for me. My right arms got to move, you know, to the extent of you know, five or six inches on the end of the paddle. So a lot of times when we were setting up, if I wasn't the shooter, I would set up, maybe more so out of out of the visible, you know, area of that turkey. I would kind of go hide myself, which wouldn't be ideal if I was calling for myself, but calling for my buddies, I was able to make work. One time I was the caller and the shooter. We were being very strategic on listening where the bird's gobble was, how close we thought they were, can we hear them spitting and drumming, And then at some point I was gonna have to put the box call down and just hold onto my gun and hope that that was enough to finish him. So using kind of all of those cues throughout a hunt to decide whether or not, you know, you need to keep using that call or you may run into a turkey that doesn't care if you're yelping the mouth diaphragm, a pot call, or a box call, or any combination thereof. So you're really one. Like I said, I don't think you can go wrong if you if you listen to all the other turkeys in the area, how how loud are they being. You know, if you've got boss hands that are just real squawky, you may need to get squawky because you're trying to call him away from her. Or number two, if that bird just soaking up everything you throw at it, continue to go down that path.
Speaker 2: You know, during during your call ins, different terrains is one.
Speaker 1: One of the other things is how do you you know is there a difference when you're hunting him in the mountains of Washington versus the open fields or the open meadow you know country at Kansas And I would say yes, but it's more so on the subspecies.
Speaker 2: I would say it was a question about terrain.
Speaker 1: But the stubborn Easterns of the Midwest are a completely different animal than than our Miriams out out in the west. You know, you've got big, thunderous gobbles or a bigger bird, but an Eastern is very very stubborn and sometimes very very hard to get them to give up your location. It's when they do give up their location they sometimes seem to care a little bit less about your calls. And I know this all depends on the time of the year, but Easterns more difficult. You go out west and we're hunting our rios and our Miriams a lot more talkative, a lot easier to get to say something. Early in the morning or middle of the day. When I'm hunting Merriams or rios, I feel like I've got a good chance all day long. Where when I'm hunting Easterns in Kansas or wherever it may be, I feel like at times I just need to set up on a travel corridor, maybe do some you know, a little real subtle calling every hour or so, and just hope that they want to walk by me. So that's one of the big differences now terrain. I've always felt turkeys would rather come uphill do a call because if they run into danger, they can pitch away from the danger. So that's one thing I always try to keep in mind, either on contour or calling them uphill. Imagine if you're trying to call a bird downhill and they they run into danger, they can still just run up the hill, but it puts them at a disadvantage versus just being able to pitch off the hill. They don't want to pitch out over the danger of what may be there. So that's that's really when it comes to terrains kind of what I'm thinking of as I as I go into that, you know, setup can that turkey get away from danger? Are they going to be comfortable? And uh, you know, look at it from from that that standpoint. Aside from that, like and that's kind of that's kind of my advice for a turkey hunter. You know, a lot of people think you need to have all the specialty gear, I would say, a weapon, some understanding of being able to make some turkey calls, and then it's really just spending time out in the woods and understanding, you know, understanding the birds. You know, as I've said before, I've got lots of podcasts that goes very very deep with doctor Chamberlain and some of these research biologists that talk about like we get into you know, nesting cycles and why you know, turkey hunting maybe better later in the season and early you know, we we talk about hunting pressure, we talk about all those things, but it's very basic, you know, the foundation of turkey hunting. I wanted to do this podcast to really just kind of say what you need, what you don't need necessarily, but what what are kind of some of these luxuries? And uh, you know, turkey hunting is just a blast. You know, some people out west, you know, love to hate on turkey hunting.
Speaker 2: You know it's we should be spring bear hunting or doing something. Man.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love it when I can get an animal to interact with me, regardless of what they say. It's very very simi to elk hunting, I get something to respond with a locator call. Something I didn't talk about, But you can use all of these locator calls. You locate them, you take a guess at where you think they are, you move in as close as you can without busting them, and you sit down and try to call them in. Very very similar to elk hunting. Yeah, I'm calling in a twenty pound turkey instead of an eight hundred pound screaming elk, But the game itself is similar and I love everything about it. And if you have any other questions for me or my guests on the upcoming turkey episodes that we're just starting to get into, please email them to us at CTD at Phelpsgame Calls dot com, or you can send us a message on any of our social media platforms and we'll do our best to get them plugged in here. But with that said, turkey hunting isn't some big, giant, complicated thing where you need all this fancy gear, weapon tag. Do a little bit of scouting, learn how to call, and go hunt and have a blast to spring.
Speaker 2: Thank you everybody, and