Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephanie Flanders, head of Government and Economics at Bloomberg, and this is Trumpnomics, the podcast that looks at what's happening in the economic world of Donald Trump, what's shaping the US and global economy, and what could happen next. This week we're talking about the Great Fun Shortage. You might think it was an odd topic. I mean, the cost of living, we know is still a major issue for households on both sides of the Atlantic, and definitely for Donald Trump approaching the midterm elections. But the cost of laughing, of having fun seems to be going up even faster than other things, and there are fewer and fewer places to lay your hands on it. The FIFA World Cup, which culminates this Sunday, the nineteenth of July, is a case in point. I mean, watch parties are fun, but for those of us like me who prefer to see their sports live, it's been a disaster. Game tickets leading up to the tournament were either incredibly hard to get hold of or ruinously expensive, often both, and the cheapest official ticket for the final this Sunday will cost thirty two times more than the equivalent ticket for the European Football Championship final two years ago. Now, if you have zero interest in football, you'll be completely fed up with hearing any further word on this topic. But this phenomenon being priced out of fun is part of a broader trend spelled out in a recent Bloomberg piece that got a lot of traction online by the reporter Ben Stevenman. As he points out, Americans are spending less time socializing than they used to. Over the past twenty years, America's lost two thousand golf courses and seven thousand bars and nightclubs. We're not just talking about leisure time in general, but the shared in person kind of leisure, live shows, family trips, nights out with friends. Time Youse surveys that have been run since the early two thousands show double digit drops in the hours spent by Americans on things like that, on arts, on sports, and social events. Now, this may be a business opportunity for some industries, but for everyone else it raises a bigger question. What happens to an economy and a society when people just can't afford or don't make time to have fun. Well, I'm happy to say I'm joined by Ben who wrote that piece. He writes about money and people for Bloomberg and is based in New York. Welcome Ben, thank you, happy to be here. And an economist who spent a large part of his career thinking about what makes people happy and more importantly, why it matters. Professor Lord Richard Layard, co director of the Well Being Program at the Center for Economic Performance at the London School of Economics and also the author of several books, including the Origins of Happiness and Can We Be? Professor Leon Richard, thank you so much for taking the time.
Speaker 3: My pleasure.
Speaker 2: Conferentent Ben, How did you come to this topic the Great fun Shortage.
Speaker 1: I've been thinking about happiness and community in America for years. When you look at the American Time You survey that ask people how they spend their time, you see these sort of very depressing trend in terms of how much work just socializing face to face. We're just doing it a lot less than we used to do. And it's been my hunch for years that like that is having major effects on us, on our politics, on our economy, and it doesn't seem like it's sustainable. But When I started the research for this particular piece, I was just really thinking about high gas prices and I was sort of like, oh, like, maybe this is making this summer a summer of scarcity, where people will be cutting back on vacations. And then I was surprised to see that people didn't really cut back that much on travel as much as you would think. People seem to really want to get out there. And I started looking at all the different ways people like to have fun, that gets them out of the house, that gets them out with their family or friends or the community, and just seeing the supply shrinking in area after area, industry after industry, And so that's why I wrote the piece.
Speaker 2: You just mentioned it there. There's there are two elements to this, isn't it. Sort Of there's less available and I guess often goes with this, but also just a massive increase in the cost of a lot of these events and this kind of activity. But what are you seeing driving those things.
Speaker 1: There's just the baseline of inflation generally is first of all, squeezing the sort of a fun budget. People have less money left over for discretionary purchases. That's one thing. The other thing is the fixed costs of running a hotel or a nightclub just sword. But then there's also a supply issue. We really don't build beachfront resorts in the United States anymore. We have thousands and thousands of miles of coastline and we don't build on places people can gather and have fun and then anymore. So then we've also had this inequality trend in the United States. So who ends up in those beachfront luxury resorts. It's the wealthy and the rest of us who maybe these are places you started bringing your kids to and now they're older and you really have to stop going to those beach towns and you got to find something else to do. So I think it's a combination of factors, and it's different for different kinds of fun. But I think it's a complex mix of dynamics that are really coming together in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: And demographics, I guess, is another piece of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's just more people, there's just more people fighting over fewer spots.
Speaker 2: But I mean and also older people. You know, there's a chunk of people who are kind of entering retirement, who have all the money and maybe are also pushing up prices that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, baby boomer is retired and they can't stop going on trips.
Speaker 2: So they're taking all the lounges on the beach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the national parks are full of baby boomers with blots of free time, and there's just less sparts for everybody else.
Speaker 2: Richard, I thought you would be a sort of perfect person to talk about this too. You've always said happiness is what should be the ultimate yardstick of the success of an economy. I guess we're talking about fun, which isn't necessarily the same as happiness or good mental health. So how do you think about the connection between the kind of activities that Ben's talking about and the kind of happiness mental well being that you have focused on for so long.
Speaker 3: Well, all the research shows that social connections are absolutely central to people's happiness, and the social connections, of course depend on the amount of time that you spend on them, and so the time evidence that people are spending less time socializing is absolutely central to understanding the other huge fact, which is documented in the World Happiness Report that overall happiness has fallen in the US by more than in any other country other than I think fourteen out of all the countries in the world, and this is particularly affecting young people, and I think that that is a very bad omen for the future, because we know that the best predictor of a happy life is how happy you are when you're young. America has now dropped to sixty second position for happiness of young people, and I think all of this is connected with the growth of online living. So I very much agree with Jonathan Heights's line on this that the social media are having a poisoning effect on young people, and it's because young people use the more than older people that they are suffering more as a result. And we know that he showed. I thought it was extraordinary that over half of young people say they wish social media didn't exist, but they're captive. They have to go on them because everybody else is going on them. So there's a huge amount of evidence that time spent online is destructive of happiness for two reasons. I mean, one is obviously lack of social ordinary face to face social contact, which has been the way humans enjoyed themselves from the beginning of time. But also the negative side, the encouragement of social comparisons and comparing yourself with the perfect life of the influence, etc. So I think all of that is going into this diminution of and increase in unhappiness, which is particularly present in the English speaking world. People of course questioned whether social media are so important because they are prevalent in other parts of the world. I think what is so interesting is that the English speaking world has been particularly strongly affected, partly perhaps because of the way that the tech companies operate, but also that these are the societies where young people have broken away more from their families and are less controllable by their parents and parents' values seem to have kept social life going in Latin America other parts of the world in the way that they haven't in the United States and Britain.
Speaker 2: You've partly answered the question I would have asked you, but it does feel like, you know, large parts of Europe people are extremely online, but they don't seem to have had, certainly from your world happiness, which also Ben mentions in his piece, they don't seem to have had the same fall in unhappy in happiness.
Speaker 3: Well, the old English speaking world actually includes Australia and Canada. I think that it is to do with the fact of parents having more influence on young people's social norms in the rest of Europe as compared with Britain. I think that's a very very important fact.
Speaker 2: One of the things that you mentioned Ben in your piece is the potential political consequences of some of this, and I guess we'll get onto some of the policy responses, but in terms of the many reasons that you might worry about it, you cite and there's studies that show that voters are more likely to vote for populist candidates in years after social spaces and pubs and bars have closed down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are two studies, one from France looking at bar tabas the place to buy you can get a cup of coffee, or you can place a bet, or just buy a newspaper that thousands of those in small French towns have shut down and it actually takes a while, it's not an immediate effect. But when those places closed down, according to this new study, in the next decade or two, those places become gradually more and more right wing and more more willing to vote for not just conservative parties but sort of the extreme right wing parties. And then there was another study in the UK looking at pubs and showing similar things.
Speaker 3: Could The closure of youth clubs has been an extraordinary thing in Britain. We've lost seventy three percent of a level of activity and funding for youth clubs over the last ten or fifteen years. And of course the closure rates is different in different areas, and you can see straight away that the effect on crime in the areas where youth clubs have been closed is quite dramatic. I think if we could just go back to the question of populism, I mean, the clearest fact that's been established really in almost every country is that the people who vote for populists are the discontented people, some of whom have become discontented for policy reasons and some of them for cost of living or other reasons. But discontent is driving people into extreme right wing or extreme left wing positions. And that's why one extraordinarily powerful reason why we have to try and put the contentment of the people more central to public policy if we want to preserve democracy.
Speaker 2: Ben As Richard says, part of this is about a cost of living issue, which is obviously issue number one, not just in the US but also in the UK and other places, and it doesn't just relate to this. I mean it relates to the of groceries in the price of petrol gas going up. But does the people being priced out of fun activities or hold days and over the does that have a particular resonance. How much is it politically sailing on its own or is it just being sort of pushed together and along with other things. I know just you mentioned in New York sort of having more more liquor licenses as a way to try and encourage some of the bars to come back.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that inflation in and of itself, and the price of just food that you bring home and need at home like that is something that is infuriating to people in and of itself and is sort of disconnected perhaps from this fun happiness conversation. But I think when you go to a concert and you feel like you're being squeezed into, like to actually get close enough to see the artist and not just watch a screen from the back row, when you have to pay hundreds of dollars to do that, it's really dispiriting. But when people will go out and try to do that, they're subject to these premiumization regimes where to get in and have the same experience you had a decade ago, is going to cost you four times as much, even if the official inflation rate hasn't gone up that much. For that particular activity, we've really created these tiers, whether it's on an airplane or in a concert hall.
Speaker 2: Everyone's forgotten that now because the World Cup's been quite popular in the US, but then the lead up to it, it was that very intensive tiering by FIFA that I think had sort of have brought that home. And Richard, I can't help thinking, I mean, many many years ago, you know, you were the person who had really contributed to the people focusing on relative inequality and how that was related to people's happiness. And we're seeing that now with the way that the sort of aggressive rent seeking and segmenting of the market into more and more upper tiers seems like a very there's a very close connection between that and people's general sense of well being, even if it's a somewhat trivial example sitting in a.
Speaker 3: Com Yes, so one mustn't exaggerate the influence of economic factors in the production of discontent. I mean, if you're try and explain who are the most discontented people. In most advanced countries, the number one factor is going to be mental health and loneliness. These factors are coming through at least as strongly as as simple living standards. I was very impressed by the US Surgeon General Vivek Murti when he went on his first tour as surch in General. What were the greatest problems of health as he thought facing people? They said, loneliness. That was what people reported to him. And that's behind the death of despair and all the rest of it. And it is behind populism because people join these populist parties because it gives them a sense of identity that they feel they belonging to something that actually means something. It turns over their insids. So it really is crucial that we deal with this discontent, and it really is important for politicians to understand that the factors that will determine this is studies of both European elections and US presidential election the fact that which will determine whether a government goes through elected are more to do with non economic factors affecting their happiness than economic factors. And we need much more attention to things that generate the social interactions which we started as than just the cost of living.
Speaker 2: We have potentially a moment of opportunity in the UK, despite their not being electioned and arrival of a new government, a new Prime minister anyway in the coming days. And E seems to be quite open to some of these ideas. And I know we've also heard and Ben mentioned in his piece. You clearly have Democrat politicians on the ground in the US also trying to address some of these sources of discontent. But when you look at the sort of cost effectiveness of different interventions to improve happiness, but how do you rank something like more spending on counseling and direct efforts to address high levels of depression, for example, against having more parks and more sort of social infrastructure ways of getting people together, or youth clubs for that matter.
Speaker 3: Well, as you say, we have been looking right across the board at the cost effectiveness of different types of public spending. And the most extraordinarily effective is you call it counseling. I would call it psychological therapy, which is basically paying for itself within a couple of years, both when it's done for adults and when it's done for young people.
Speaker 2: Paying for itself in what way are they returns in terms of people working or returns in terms of people feeling better.
Speaker 3: Of course, the real, really important return is people feeling better. But from the government's point of view, it's of great interest that it won't cost them anything because they get the money back within a couple of years.
Speaker 2: From people work, from tax revenues or from reduced health costs. I'm just trying to work out what the saving would.
Speaker 3: Be when you're talking about adult anxiety and depression, which is the biggest single set of problems. It's just people getting back to work and coming off benefits. The savings there are so immediate. When you're talking about addicts, you're talking about healthcare costs as well being saved, people not turning up any not turning up in patient facilities and so on. But you mentioned parks. They are also good value. Small parks being close to green space turns out to be very cost effective. Actually, things like the police turn out to be are the cost effective. They actually encourage people the theme we are on mixing freely because they feel safe. Things which are much less cost effective are extra new roads, new railways. We spend an extraordinary amount on these in a way that's not really questioned, and I think that we need to subject all public expenditure to this test. What does it ultimately do for the quality of life as people experience it.
Speaker 2: Ben You obviously spend your time dipping in out of lots of different topics, but I know that you're particularly interested in the sort of dynamics of wealth and how it affects society and affects people. And you've obviously demonstrated that in this piece. And there's been a lot of talk about wealth taxes. But do you think with all this discussion that maybe we'll get into talking about high end consumption taxes.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting In terms of policy interventions, I was thinking a little bit more about creating new or more fun infrastructure. This seems like an opportunity for local politicians to bring a little life back to communities, whether that's a free concert or a dance party on a Friday night on a block this shut to traffic. But the tax issue, I've looked into these taxes on wealthy people and people's attitudes about billionaires and trillionaires, and in the United States, for a long time, there was a sense that people didn't really resent billionaires that much when you pull them. But that's starting to change, and there's less admiration for the wealthy than there used to be. And I do wonder whether one of the factors there is that there is this sense that the experience is the cool places and the cool experiences that were once available to a broad middle class population, you know, are becoming these premium, expensive, rare luxuries.
Speaker 2: When you were saying that, I was thinking, yeah, well, I guess the billionaires in the past were a bit more low key about spending their billions. But of course, as Richard points out, it's that we see it all on. If we don't see it when we're trying to go to these events, we see it all online in their perfect lives, and it's all it's very much in front of our faces.
Speaker 1: That reminds me of the Yeah, like billionaires posting from their yachts during COVID when we were all stuck at home. That they're similar dynamic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not particularly good, pr Richard. People who regularly listen to this show will find this a curious topic perhaps, or an unusual topic for us to have gone into, because we haven't been talking only about economics, but I guess that's that's part of the point you're making.
Speaker 3: I'm a member of something called Action but Happiness, that is promoting a way of life where you pledge to try and create as much happiness as you can in the world. That's putting that as a principle for yourself how you should live. But of course it's also a principle for what the government should be doing. But coming back to your original theme, Stephanie, I do think that this decline of face to face contact is a massive problem. And we know that people they don't go to meetings. I mean they don't get You can't get people to go to things because they are spending so much time online. And even if they're together, like for example, in the big space in the university, you'll see one hundreds of people sitting around and there's no noise anymore. It's quite They're all texting each other. They're even texting people who are in the same room. This is a fundamental cultural change which I think is not for the better. And I'm hoping, you know, we can get a reform school education where people are taught better life skills I understand that measurements have been made which showed children can't make eye contact in the same way that they used to. We need to restore the basic practice of social living as central to people's enjoyment of life.
Speaker 2: Richard Layard, Ben Stephenman, thank you so much, Thank.
Speaker 4: You, thank you, thanks for listening to Trumponomics from Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: It was hosted by me Stephanie Flanders. I was joined by Bloomberg News reporter Ben Stevenman and the economist and LC professor Lord Richard Layard. Toponomics was produced by Moss Andam and Summer Sadi with help from a Keen, and sound design was by Blake Maples and Kelly Garrett. And to help others find this brilliant show, please rate and review its tide wherever you listen