Speaker 1: The volume. The eighty two game preseason is in the books, and it is finally time for the real season. Don't miss out on any NBA playoff action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. From the play in tournament through the finals. Draft Kings Sportsbook as you covered with same game parlays, live betting, ods, boost and much more. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use code Shannon. New customers can bear five dollars and get two hundred and bonus bets instantly. That's the code Shannon only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hop and wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine.
Speaker 1: In Connecticut, help.
Speaker 2: Is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothell, Casino w and Resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bonus beets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue ins See DKG dot co slash b ball for eligibility and depositive restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: The playoffs are upon us the best place to watch right there in person. Game Time is an authorized ticket marketplace for playoff basketball, which makes getting playoff tickets even easier and faster. Prices on game Time app actually go down closer it gets to tip off with killer last minute deals, all in prices views from your seat. The Lord's Price Guarantee game Time takes the guests work out of buying tickets, save even more when you choose a section and let game time. Choose to see the Lord's Price Guaranteed or game Time will credit one and ten percent of the difference. Take the guest work out of buying playoff basketball tickets with game time. Download the game time out, create an account, use code Nightcap twenty dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply again. Creat an account. Redeem code Nightcap night caap for twenty dollars off. Download game Time today, last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed. Hello ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for joining us for another episode of Nightcap Olympic Edition. I am your favorite unk, Shannon Sharp, He's your favorite, number eighty five, The Route Runner Extraordinary, the Binga Ring of Fame honoree, the Pro Bowl of the All Pro from Liberty City. That's Chad o Cho Senko Johnson, and again, thank you. Please make sure you hit that subscribe button. Please make sure you hit that light button. And remember, guys, do us a favorite. Subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed wherever you get your podcast from. Every subscriber counts. And remember, because of you, we've been able to enjoy a great level of success. Please make sure you check out Shay by Laportier. We have it in stock, so thank you for your patience. Last time we didn't have it in stock and we only did pre orders. But thank you guys again for your patients, and thank you for making Shade the best selling bsop. Thank you very very much. Please go follow my media company's page on our platforms. That's Shay Shape Media and my clothing company eighty four. That's eighty four spelled out. Our Olympic merch just dropped. The link is panned at the top of the chat. Use code Olympics. Oh Joe we're gonna get right into it. The last couple of days, the US has been on a gold rush. Yes, we're piling up the medals, getting melt. We're winning goals in places that we really didn't expect to win goals. Because the reigning world chap, we're gonna talk about Cole Hawker winning the fifteen.
Speaker 3: And hey, fantastic finish, too, fantastic finish.
Speaker 1: He timed it. He timed it perfect. But let's kick it off. The USA trounce Brazil eighty seven. They will play Serbia for the third time on Thursday and one gold medal. The defending World Cup champion Germany played the twenty twenty two Olympic semble medal finalists France and the other silver medal in the other semifinal. Devin Booker with the USA's leading scorer. He had eighteen points on five May threes. The US shot and the ball extremely well. O show They were fifty eight percent from the floor, forty eight percent from the three, ninety percent from the free throw line. Lebron left the game called a melbow to the I ended up getting stitched left in the third quarter. He had twelve points. Joel Ebi had his most out impressive outing in the Olympics. He had fourteen. We mentioned Devin Booker had eighteen and Kevin Durant had eleven, Anthony Davis had thirteen. A man had seventeen to eighty seven. They dominated, they started out. This is the way I expected them to play, this is how I expected them to look, and they've been. They've been winning in dominating fashion. You never know who's going to be the hot man on the given night, Oh Show, given what we have to offer, and for them, guys sacrifice, because every guy is the guy on their team, and for them to sacrifice shots, to sacrifice, minutes, to sacrifice whatever they're having to sacrifice for the commonality of the one thing win the gold medal goes and represent the USA and the highest form. Kudos to this team. Go silver medal match with Serbia. Nikola Jokic is in front of them with a chance to go to the gold medal round. Ocho, what do you when you watch this game? What'd you like about what you saw? I mean, they were they having fun.
Speaker 3: I understand the pressures, I understand it's the Olympics, but they were out there having fun. Obviously, Brazil's team is not of size. They don't really have any bigs down there. Joel Embiid, even though when you look at from a matchup standpoint that they didn't really need him based on his size and being seven to one, But he played anyway, and when he did play, he played a little different than what we're used to for our bigs. You want your bigs inside as opposed to outside. But he played the outside game and mid rain was on. He was shooting good from the field, he was shooting the three, and everybody else was having fun. Devin Booker leading the charge, Anthony Evers had a great game, and like you did say, everybody contributed in a great way. And listen Steve Kerr, I mean his job is very difficult because do you think everyone is still happy?
Speaker 4: Do you think everyone is still happy when you look at it.
Speaker 3: I know the common goal is the win goal, but I know they want to be able to put on their skill and represent their country and be.
Speaker 4: A contributor.
Speaker 3: A contributor for the most part as one of the reasons why they wont goal. So I think players want to get their minutes and be able to score.
Speaker 4: And I think there are there are.
Speaker 3: Still still some rumblings of people not happy with the way things are going.
Speaker 1: Well, I think everybody should be happy with the minutes they got. If you look at it, the role player, the second unit played more minutes than the starters. I mean, go start played more than seventeen minutes. And you look at Jason Tatum, he had twenty minutes, Kevin Durant had twenty one minutes, Bam had nineteen minutest Man eighteen minutes. Rick White had the same number of minutes as the starters. Only person that didn't play double digit minutes was Tyrese halibert Uh he played eight minutes. He was won one from the field. But I think the thing now is that you know now every team that you face now can beat you, So it doesn't matter. It's it's not a situation where a coach I need to get my ten fifteen to twenty minutes. No, Steve Curry is gonna run the guys that he failed. Optionally, the starters are gonna start. We'll see how Lebron I see if it holds up, I don't see. I don't think he's gonna miss any time. Juwel Embiid had a little minor ankle injury that he ended up leaving the game in the third quarter, whether the third quarter that he left ash or the fourth, but he ended up leaving the game with an ankle injury. But you know the reigning world champs in Germany, we know what the French possessed. They have. They have Wimby, they have Gobert, they have four neck so they have and and and the UH. The Germans they have Dennis Shrewder, they have the Wagner brothers. SO and Serbia, we already know who's on that team, the three time league MVP, and UH and BOGI. The shooters are from the Atlanta UH the Atlanta Hawks. So these last three teams UH the potential that the Americans could face with place Serbia and the semi finals and then potentially UH, Germany or France could beat them.
Speaker 5: And they know that, and so I expect them feel on their best behavior.
Speaker 3: WHOA, you gotta look, you got too much dip on your chip. Now with that they have they have some good players. They have some good players, but the chance of them actually beating the US is slim and none.
Speaker 4: That's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: You got a better chance that finding Jimmy Hoffer and any of the team that are left in contention than beating the USA team, especially knowing that because of who they're playing, I think the players are gonna raise their level of play even more.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The thing is, ojo, is that the one thing Sons you say, you never under you never under estimates your opponent, and you never overestimate yourself. Okay, and you'll be fine because we've there's a reason why the pros have come playing. Now remember pros didn't play. Yeah, but you're talking about you're talking about a knockout round, now, o Joe. One game football. Think about how many teams have gotten Ain't no way can lose this game in one game. Anything can happen. You a tweet ankle, you are a bad file, You are terribly rough, rough game.
Speaker 3: Right, I think, But listen, In order for that to happen, hypothetically speaking, yes, they would have to have they would have to play horrendous. Everybody would have to be shooting horrible from the field. Steph threes wouldn't be falling. Lebron really can't get it going. Anthony Evers can't have no he's off rhythm, KD not efficient, from the field. I just don't see it happening. Even though I understand what you're saying. I understand the analogies.
Speaker 4: Never underestimate your opponent, never overestimate yourselves. But it ain't. I don't. I don't see it happen.
Speaker 3: I see the players raising their level of play, understanding it is a knockout stage and not giving anyone a chance to even contend or give us that feeling that we even have a chance to lose. And I think they'll make a statement when they do play. But who they play coming up, Yeah, when they play Serbia, I think they're gonna make a statement to let to let folks know, to let us know we ain't got nothing to worry about stayside.
Speaker 1: Plus, also, Joe, you got to realize the whole country team is still in it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of Home Cookie?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Okay, yeah, yeah, I heard her home cooking.
Speaker 3: But you come on, now, don't don't don't do me like that. No, I'm just saying, And I understand you have to play defense. You got to play defense, you know.
Speaker 1: But no, no, look, I'm just saying, I'm I'm not naive enough to believe that on a griven moment. Any think it happened one game? Do I believe any of these teams could beat this team could beat the US team four out of seven?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, now give a night.
Speaker 4: Oh so you said to give a night.
Speaker 1: Okay, somebody get hot. We don't believe it. If it's still it's just for you goes for fifty twenty ten.
Speaker 4: Oh no, that ain't had maybe on two k, maybe on two k parents.
Speaker 3: And I mean he's capable of doing it when we see him in.
Speaker 4: The NBA atmosphere, that's different.
Speaker 3: You got to understand the players that are surrounding him when he's able to put up fifty fifty whatever that whatever the stat line you just put up is. But now in this atmosphere you have great plea. He doesn't have those elite players surrounding him. He has one one of two guys on this team that can contend and challenge those on the US team.
Speaker 4: But no, I don't.
Speaker 5: He doesn't need to have that kind of talent.
Speaker 1: He just need to have guys to understand how to play international ball, which he has, which they've played together more than this team. Remember they put this team together. This team has only been together a month?
Speaker 4: Month?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, how.
Speaker 1: Long you think how long you think the Serbian teams been playing together off and on?
Speaker 4: By probably hey listen, probably since they would look kid exact.
Speaker 3: Probably they probably came up through the same academy, the same you you know, you know how that goes over that week.
Speaker 1: That's why I mean, look at shrewd Truder was was feever player MVP? Mm hmm, I got this, that's I mean, I mean he or overestimated his hand because the Lakers had eighty four million.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he said, no, you've been playing kind of.
Speaker 1: Like mid level except chefs exceptions or ten you know, ten million dollars deal when he could have had twenty million dollars. But that's not have a question, Go ahead, I have a question you wouldn't know better than me. The fact that he that he turned down that eighty four million. Is there a chance he can still get it now? Or is that gone?
Speaker 5: That ain't happening. He's not getting one hundred million dollar contract.
Speaker 4: That's not happening, even with the way he's playing now.
Speaker 1: Nope, nope.
Speaker 3: Hey, sometimes they tell you to better yourself. This is one of the first cases we're betting on yourself and then go right.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing, oh Joe, we only hear that, We only hear the successes. Or I bet on myself and I turned to well what happens when you bet on your You know, you bet on yourself and you and it doesn't go accordingly. But but I love what I saw today. I love the way they moved the ball right. Thirty one assist o joh, only eleven turnovers, did a good job on the glass, forty six rebounds out rebounds of them by twelve eleven offensive rebounds. You can live with that. It's gonna be hard the US team play like this. You let them shoot fifty eight percent from the floor. You're not beating them. You're not beating You're not beating them. They shot forty eight, well, almost forty nine percent from the three. You're not beating Americans. You love them, you one hundred and twenty two points. You not beating them like that? Yeah, Oh, Joelnbi didn't play the entire second half, so he got nick before the half.
Speaker 5: I think they were twenty seven at the half.
Speaker 1: I think they were up like what sixty three thirty six something like that. I think it seemed there was no doubt. Although we know the Serbians came back and beat the Australians. They were down by twenty four and they came back and beat them in overtime. But once I was, you know, I'm looking at like like, oh, I was like, nah, this a rap.
Speaker 5: Now, just make sure nobody in a game like this.
Speaker 1: Oh, Joe, you trying to make sure nobody gets injured, you know, he come, hey, come on, Lebron, Hey, Kurby.
Speaker 5: Book, come on, come on, hey, y'all take it over, guys. And yeah, it was good.
Speaker 1: I mean it was a great all around performance, very unselfish. Uh, they was. You know, Lebron had nine assists. Obviously some great passes to Jason Tatum. But I like this, it's gonna be off for tough to beat this team if they played like this night. You have a little something that's storing for Kevin Durant to celebrate him coming the team's USA Basketball all time Olympic leading scorer after KD was left out there, nike Is original Winning Isn't for Everyone Olympic campaign, and voice his frustration with their mission, Nike gave him his own commercial today Now rated by Dion Sanders.
Speaker 5: There's a reaper every four years.
Speaker 1: Your time runs out, you might forget your debt, but he's ready to collect. Coach Prime says in the commercial as highlights of Durant play in the background. Oh we can't play that game.
Speaker 4: Damn while we came.
Speaker 5: Because I like our monetization.
Speaker 4: But okay, my bad, My bad, not bad, I'm bad.
Speaker 1: Look, we know what Kevin Durant is. Would I be surprised if KD isn't on the team in twenty twenty eight, I wouldn't be surprised at all. It's only four years, and I know KD. What that'll be year twenty two? I think KD is a year to be your well will be year twenty one or twenty two for KD in twenty eight?
Speaker 4: How how old is he?
Speaker 1: KD? What thirty five, thirty six? He's thirty five or thirty six? Thirty five? So in four years thirty nine? Hell Lebron forty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean if if it's body holds up, I mean he should be able to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's be able to, So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all, O Joe, if he's there trying to go for a fifth gold potential fifth gold medal if they were to go out and close out business and do it they're supposed to do in this situation. But right, ben Well deserved. We know he's the greatest scorer in Olympic history. Now he's the all time leading scorer and men's he's the all time leading scorer in Olympic history. Right, not just US history, Olympic Historyscar Schmidt, US men and women. Oscar Schmidt might be number one from the Brazil. Look look at Brazil because he's the one that that that made the US go get what do you putting that outstanding performance on them? We dropped forty eight on the head.
Speaker 3: Matter of fact, if kd Well, if the Brazilian is the greatest Olympic scorer, yes, right, I have a question. Is kad the greatest NBA scorer of all time?
Speaker 4: In your estimate?
Speaker 1: What you think? I mean, until somebody average fifty four season, four four seasons, like we'll will average forty four, average fifty forty four, thirty eight. He's a man ever just scoring forty four thousand points in the season. It all depends, It all depends. Is he the most efficient score. Right. I mean people keep saying, so what is lebron if one guy has the most points ever been scored, any shoots that are high percent? And what we asked about, right, I mean, it's apples, the orangest. Is it Kobe? If it Jordan, is it James Harden. Look, we've never seen anything like Kevin Durant. A guy that's seven foot tall, can put the ball on the floor, can shoot the three. He's grad at the mid range. He doesn't fall in love with the three, even though he's good from that distance. He'll get to the mid range. He can put the ball on the floor, get all the way to the rim and if your follow, me's gonna make ninety percent of his shots. He's very unique in that way. And so I mean, analytics, it all depends on what you're looking for. Jordan had the mid range. Jordan didn't have a three point shot like this. Kobe didn't have a three shot like Kevin Durant.
Speaker 4: Right, But when they did shoot from the three, they were official though.
Speaker 1: No, they shot Kobe was like thirty four thirty three percent, Jordan was like thirty three thirty two percent. Yeah, No, they weren't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's bad, okay.
Speaker 3: Matter of fact, the fact that you just mentioned Jordan somebody on Twitter earlier, right, matter of fact, right before we start the show. They made a comment. I told him that it would be at the top of the show. But the fact that you brought up Jordan and you would be you would be able to answer it better than me. He said, Michael Jordan could not playing today's NBA. He would just be an average player.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 3: I just just yeah, listen, that's what That's what they said. I'm not sure what they're basing that off of. And they and then his follow up was the players in today's era are much more athletically gifted as opposed to what Jordan had to face. I don't know from a basketball standpoint. My knowledge isn't as great as yours. I just want to hear a short answer on what you think.
Speaker 5: I disagree with you, Okay.
Speaker 4: So even though.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna say, he's gonna add I mean maybe, because but it's hard to average that without the three ball. It depends and knowing Jordan, like we know him, he's gonna work on that shot because now you can't follow him. You know, it's hard to hand check below the below the free throw lot, and you can't arm, but they let your armball. They let you used to put your forearm in the guy's back, Dan, Right, No matter what, they're just more.
Speaker 5: I would explain it like that.
Speaker 1: So, Joe, when I played in the NF, there were only a couple of tight ends that can do what I do. Yes, there are a lot more guys that are as athletic. I'm not saying they're Jordan, but as athletic. Right, do I believe that the skill level there are more skilled players now playing than they were back then. Yes, just like there are the players now they starting out, Oh yo with what that seven o seven camp? They going to seven o seven at eight nine years old? Known football camps?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: And we first of all, if they were we ain't had no money, you ain't going on universe. And Jordan, that's fifty dollars seventy five dollars?
Speaker 5: Who got that?
Speaker 1: So Jordan was gonna be Jordan. I mean, here's the thing, and I'll say it like this. Great players mm hmm. Great player Jordan is a historically great player, a transend in any era.
Speaker 3: No matter, that's a good answer.
Speaker 4: That's a good answer.
Speaker 1: I like that, Oh Joe. For the game, Devin Brooker said he still doesn't see out of eye with no allows. I still don't agree with the comment. I feel like all the best talent in the world is in the NBA. And that's coming from an Olympic gold mellist who believe that being in the NBA champion it's probably harder to do. Devin, this was a move point. It was bad. We had put this to bed.
Speaker 3: Why he's bringing it up.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I disagree with you.
Speaker 1: It is not harder because you know why, because you can play, you cannot run. If anything below your waist is bother you, you ain't winning. We've seen guys with toes, with arches, with kiles. We've seen guys be able to take things up and play. We've seen guys play with broken legs. We've seen guys played with what the R rate half a just located al boat.
Speaker 4: Ah, yeah, yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 1: I saw a guy in the Rams, Jack Youngblood, played with a broken leg. Tell me what what what you're gonna do in track and field with a broken leg? You tell me what Olympic sports you're gonna be able to do with a broken leg, devid not.
Speaker 3: You know, I think I think track. I think track athletes they do have injuries. The injuries are minimal, and their injuries that they can.
Speaker 1: You're not winning.
Speaker 4: They can they can suppress the compete.
Speaker 6: You can't win though you cannot win if anything. Hey, but think about it. At that level, we talk about the best of the best, the athletes.
Speaker 3: You think they're athletes in Paris that might not be injured or might not might have a little knicks.
Speaker 1: And because it's so eat, Remember what did Justin Gallan say? Nine seven?
Speaker 5: Ain't catching nine seven?
Speaker 1: So if I if I run nine if I run nine eight and you run nine eight and you injured, how you beat me?
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: But you know what, see my football since it's coming in sothing about when you get.
Speaker 4: To the playoffs.
Speaker 3: When you get to the playoffs, hell, everybody on the team is nicked up. Everybody heard at that point, especially that far into the season. So when I think about track, I'm thinking all you've done, the qualifying, the prelams, it's always something you're not one hundred percent healthy. So I'm always thinking a's track athletes to get the wear and tear of your body to even get to the point the qualifying, the being got damn Paris, And I'm thinking, maybe there's always something not enough to affect you and winning a race, but it's not one hundred percent healthy.
Speaker 4: I could be wrong, No, I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: You ain't winning nothing in track and field because everything is is leg dominated unless you're a shooter. Now if you go saying if you shooting, I got a whull hamstring and I'm a shooter and I'm doing archery. But if I'm swimming, if I'm doing gymnastics, if I'm running most of the summer Olympics, is that it's leg dominated.
Speaker 5: Is from wasting out? What what if you nick and hear the faith.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying you can't compete, but like you said, the levels are so, here's so, here is so even.
Speaker 5: Look a fake about this.
Speaker 1: Look at the look at the time, the distance, Look at the time differential between first and field.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you think a guy can be hurt?
Speaker 4: And when when?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Left? When when? The talent is right here? Everything is right here. It's down the thousands of a second the.
Speaker 4: Second, the margin of era margin are so slim.
Speaker 1: I got you. We're gonna have special guess tomorrow we can ask him. We're gonna ladies and gentlem I'm gonna ahead and put let that rabbit out of the rabbit out bag and a cat out the hat or whatever the case, the cat out the baggy right now, I gotta be t sound like Oho, we're gonna have former real world record holder and the four hundred meters, the two hundred meters, two time Olympic gold medal in the four hundred the only man who that Michael Johnson.
Speaker 4: Oh, we got Mike come on the shore. That's gold Man.
Speaker 3: So Michael Johnson, I got a story about I got a story about Mike, but I ain't because I aint gonna bring it.
Speaker 4: I a't gonna say it because you ain't gonna believe me. He ain't gonna believe me. So I'm gonna let him tell you.
Speaker 1: So damn he'll he'll explain it to you in the running, because that's the thing. Can I get enough races in my leg? We see I get you prime example, look at a thing more.
Speaker 4: She Oh ay, she's the real deal in eight hundred.
Speaker 1: Boy, we see that. When it's close and you injured them, girls beat you. Girls would never beat her when she's one hundred percent here.
Speaker 4: Oh no, mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So but you know what, her injury was significant though, if I'm not mistaken, there was a hamstring.
Speaker 1: Right, it was, and she didn't get the training in. So now you don't get the training in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and injuries ain't nothing to play with.
Speaker 1: To be able to turn over and to go through the rounds.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: Maybe if the Diamond League meet, they paying you to come over, you just won and one running one rate. But when you got to go through rounds, it's it's a little bit more difficult. That's why. And the expectations, that's why you tip your hat off to the favorite.
Speaker 5: You say, vote every year. He went to the Olympics.
Speaker 1: He was the favorite in one hundred and the two hundred and the weight of the expectations. And his country they they they wait four years for the Olympics. Their guy. He had the weight of a country on his back. Some of these athletes have the weight of a country. We have basketball, we have football, we have soccer, we have so many other sports.
Speaker 5: But a lot of these countries.
Speaker 1: They hang their homes. These men and women are national heroes. I can imagine the welcome that Julian offer is gonna get when she goes back to Sa Lusia. I'm talking about a country. Listen, I understand when they go back to their their their hometowns. I'm sure they're going to get a ticket tape parade.
Speaker 4: It's different that different different country.
Speaker 1: Different you saying boat is the most popular Jamaican times over, whoever you thought the most the popular Jamaican was other than Bob Marley.
Speaker 6: Bob Marley, yeah, yeah, yeah, number two.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So and they hang their they hang they hang everything on their Men's and women track team. Yeah, it's conducive and they're revealing, like why Jamaica because of the climate. It's conducive. Look at the states that produced the fast Guy Texas the climate, Florida, climate, Georgia climate, California, a climate Jamaica. You can go to Jamaica. You're right, you might have a storm here or there, but the weather is ideal. Right, the Kenyons, Well, why did it's perfect? Your bove altitude. You're training about seven thousand feet so when you come lungs of flair, Yeah, oxygen. That's why you're getting a hyperbaric chamber. Because hyperbaric chamber is altitude. That's why they sleeping those they train in that, O Joe, they're running, they're sleeping in that. That's why they go to where's the Olympic training facility for the US attracted? Colorado Springs elevation over seven thousand feet, right, So that's great, It's gonna be great catching up with a with Mike.
Speaker 5: Oh, Mike, O Joe.
Speaker 1: Gaby Thomas wins gold in the two hundred meters with a time of twenty one to eight to two, the first American since Allison Felix did it in twenty twelve. Julian our for one hundred meter champ from Saint Lucia got set got won the silver, and Britney Brown in the US got the bronze medal. Thomas, who's twenty seven, is one of the biggest stars in the sport that has yet they claim a gold medal. She took the bronze in the ben in Tokyo behind Jamaica's Elaine Thompson Herra and the Mibias Christine Mambo Mamba. Yeah, as well as silver in the four hundred meter relay. Oh they beat us, damn yeah, I would say yeah, hell yeah, yeah. Now beat We beat them in the in the World Championship. I think they beat us in the Olympics for the simple fact man, think about who they had. They had Elaine Thompson Harrold who had just run ten sixty one, Brazen Price who's running ten sixty, Shrika Jackson, who's like sixty. So hell, they could have threw ash on there and as long as you don't fall, they gonna at least get the silver. But we paid the ass. We paid Dass back when in the World Championships. But Gabby is unbelievable. She graduated Harvard in neurobiology. I think she got a masters degree in epidemiology. Yeah, she's station.
Speaker 4: She went to Harvard too.
Speaker 5: She went to Harvard two damn that's crazy, Okay, Yeah, and she ran she ran that turn because a lot of time, Oh Joe, she alally gag and then turn it on on.
Speaker 1: She ran that spread.
Speaker 5: If I'm the if.
Speaker 1: I'm the US team, Ojoe, Yeah, I'm putting ass on the four on the four by four, and what leg it I'll put it.
Speaker 5: I'll probably put that.
Speaker 4: You can't say any lag because you know she carries on the four.
Speaker 5: No, she run the third that I'm saying the four.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna make sure her and sitting in with Glachlin LIBRONI, they're both on that team, putting on there. She can run some fifty. Yeah, I am putting her on that team.
Speaker 4: Matter of fact of anything, because she's so good. I'm not I don't know if the four hundred is her expertise or her the fact that she thought about moving up. Listen, I would put it. I would put on the first leg just to open up everything, just to open it up to get us a lead.
Speaker 1: Well, I know there there, Look, there ain't a whole lot of there's not a whole lot of teams that can try out four women that can run sub fifty. We have about six women over there that can all run sub fifty right on a fly. Sidney McLachlan can go sub forty eight. I've seen her do it. Mm hmm. The reason why I won't Gabby, Gabby is a doll and she will fight so even if even if, even if you know, like that's not her specialty, it is her specialty.
Speaker 5: Her specialty is winning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I want her in what she has in her on that team. Try to think of the lady uh at the I can't think of the white lady. She ran second leg last year at there at the Olympics. She's one hundred meters and two of the meter specialists look up the Olympic team four by four.
Speaker 5: I can't think of her name.
Speaker 1: Oh man, and hey they put her on there? Yeah, split forty eight Gabby Thomas on the fly. She can run forty eight seconds, right, no, no, no, no. Last year, the last limb in Tokyo by four, dam no, the four by four in Tokyo, the winning team, it was d Lulah Muhammad.
Speaker 5: It was sending them with to lachlan. What was the second leg? Name? She also ran second leg on the four by one.
Speaker 6: Abby Steiner, ab Winter, Kentucky, Kentucky. Yeah, yeah, got that now, Gabby. Gabby is not the one hundred meters like like Abby is two hundred and four.
Speaker 1: She can do it. I'm putting Gabby Gabby Thomas, and I don't care whose feelings I hurt. I'm putting Gabby Thomas as a leg on the four by four. She's already gonna run third leg. And the thing is the question that I have is because all of our women have already qualified and we've already run one hundred and two hundred. Are we gonna try out the team that we're gonna run the we get the batons the batona a round. Are we gonna try out the team that we're gonna actually have in there for the finals? Because your carry is done, you carry's gonna run anchor right, Gabby's gonna run third leg. T t Terror probably runs second leg. Ulissa Jefferson will run first leg. Now the question is do we let you know, Mackenzie Long or do we let some of the other women you know okay or a chance? It's gonna be interesting to see how they play it. But that's one of the questions I want to ask, Mike, would you put Gabby Thomas on the leg of the four by four?
Speaker 5: We know she's gonna run third leg because she can run the curve.
Speaker 1: She's a two hundred meter specialist, so she can run the hell out the curve, so I want her there.
Speaker 4: You know what I got a question?
Speaker 3: Yes, let's say, for the sake of argument, hypothetically speaking, yes, no allows doubles. He doubles in the two hundred would go he doubles? I mean, he doubles go to two. So when the four by one comes up, right, yeah.
Speaker 5: He's gonna run.
Speaker 1: Do you do? You do?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 3: You let him triple it or they use one of the alternates that you have, well, the.
Speaker 1: Only reason you use the alternate, and you probably would because I think, look, fred Is is arrested, Christian Coleman is rested, Christian Coleman is gonna lead off, fred Is gonna run second leg. I would think that for the finals, that they get the baton and they have no miscues, Kenny would run third leg, and uh, obviously no one would bring it home. So Noah's gonna don't further fulfillable future.
Speaker 3: So you don't you don't you don't think allowing one of the altarates to come in allow them the opportunity to win gold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that might, that might it all depey if but right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm just to me as this would be.
Speaker 3: This would almost be someone like like a Steve Kirr situation, allowing one of the alternates to get an opportunity to not only win the prize money, but give them a chance at a gold medal. Yeah, instead of just being all the way out there in Paris, for nothing as Okay, my alternate, maybe I might I might get a chance to run, I might not, but I would like my shot as well to say I con contributed after taking this long ass six hour flight to.
Speaker 1: Be thinking about it. Oh, Joe, we got two guys that poll that that was on the podium.
Speaker 5: M hm.
Speaker 1: On that relay team. Fred Curley got bronze. He's run nine seven six mm hmm. He's a world champ in one hundred meters. He got the silver medal in the last Olympics. We got kenneb and there he's running nine to eighty seven mm hm. He's gonna be in the finals of the of the two hundred. Uh so we Christian Coleman is the greatest starter in history, especially in American history. Now you want to take Ben, uh you know they they they Ben could actually beat the beat the gun. So now, because the the blocks have census in them, if you go zero point zero, he would be actually.
Speaker 5: He was like.
Speaker 1: And out of there. He was thrown. Yeah. So now they got censors in the blocks and if you go faster than that, they're gonna dig it.
Speaker 5: DQ.
Speaker 1: You but going to get us off to a great start.
Speaker 3: Hey think about this. I think obviously, I'm just this is hypothetical. Imagine if Fred Curley, Noah Allows, Christian Coleman, Kung Fu Kenny.
Speaker 4: Think about it. If they knew how to play football.
Speaker 3: They they were fast as they are, but had the skill set in the control to be able to play the game of football.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine? Can you imagine?
Speaker 3: I look think I think about Raheem Moster. Take Raheem Moster off the Dolphins and put one of them as a running back.
Speaker 4: Imagine him hidding.
Speaker 5: The age played football.
Speaker 4: I know. That's why I say hypothetically.
Speaker 3: I'm just just thinking, what if they had the skill set but still had the speed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how crazy would that be? Every time they touched the ball.
Speaker 1: Now you look at Bob Hayes. Bob Hayes played football at Florida A and M. You see it, and you see the way he was built. He was a running back. They drafted him, the Cowboys drafted him with the eighty eight overall, with the holes that he would give up track and field. Nah, it is like, okay, a money come. Remember Jesse Owens, he wasn't one hundred, the two hundred, the long jump and the four by one, and when it came home he had to raise horses to make a living. Yeah. Yeah, Bob Hayes said, that ain't gonna happen to me. I go right into the NFL. They paid forty fifty one hundred thousand a year. Let me go and get that money. If they had played football early, right, But if you, if you, I don't know, how have you've seen they failed? They thin?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, no, yeah, they're small now they small, one sixty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm just thinking, I'm just thinking, imagine I should have said a receiver then, because one sixty five and running back, Ain't that ain't happening.
Speaker 5: I'm just I'm just.
Speaker 1: Trying to ask you them.
Speaker 3: I'm just hey, I'm just trying to picture them breaking into the open and players thinking, oh, I'm gonna catch because I got an a Oh no, and it don't oh and it don't even work.
Speaker 1: No, I've been fortunate. I was in the league when Sam Graddy Dotter. Yeah, he won the silver medal in the eighty four Olympics. He's from He was moving like that. Hey, how tall was that out? Probably about five eight, probably about was sixty five.
Speaker 4: Oh, he was taller than Tyreek.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, he got a height on it.
Speaker 5: Okay, they could fly James Jet. I was in the league with James Jet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, run on his toes. James run on his toes.
Speaker 1: Man, that you'll call a shallow cross on us.
Speaker 4: You out of there? What a safety was that?
Speaker 1: What you think? Where? Try not to get? Try not to get on this highlight tape. That's what the safety was. Hell, I don't blame it. God, y'all talk about Xavier Howards won sixty five. Xavier Howard played football?
Speaker 4: Wait, you mean Xavier Worthy worried?
Speaker 5: Excuse me play football?
Speaker 1: Anybody the guy that's never played a sport and say, you know what said, Well, Julius Peppers played basketball, but Julius Peppers played football, and Toyo Gates had played football, Jimmy Braham had played football.
Speaker 3: And you think, you think about how fast Xavier Worthy is based on the combined time, he come in dead last with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, they had last.
Speaker 3: And it just it's a difference in football speed and then elite elite track speed. That's why I would just I would just want to see it. I just want to see somebody breaking the open and just see it because it's a it's a sight to see when Chris Johnson, when they used to give Chris Johnson that that pit, that that pitch, that second and that second level.
Speaker 4: Mess man, you might might strike up the band.
Speaker 1: Y'all remember what y'all remember? Run remember Mina?
Speaker 4: You remember?
Speaker 1: You remember? Yeah? I remember. I'm mold enough to remember. I'm old enough to remember. He tried football because they boycotted the eighty Olympics. He was the face to win the hurdles, but they boycotted. He said, you know what, I'm gonna play football. Well, he didn't have football instincts. On the shallow cross oo on the.
Speaker 4: You must have ran o he ran tow own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he would right back the track and field. Uh yeah, I mean I mean like it's it's it's subtle nuances. Yeah had if they had a background, like and I'm not talking about no Pop Warner, but I'm saying, let's just say they played high school at the collegiate level. I think Area Nighting, Area Knighton played football. Yeah, and he gave it up. God, you know he was so good at track, which I don't blame it, mm hmm, but that that's what you're right, that's a different level of speed. You gotta say, I don't know how many people have ever been to a professional track meet to watch him or to watch a practice.
Speaker 5: Then you get an appreciation.
Speaker 1: Station for yeah, to just how fast they are, because you think Tyreek, every guy that's on that track. If Tyreek, so let that thing here, you know how fast Tyreek is. Yeah they got they got thirty five forty Tyreeks that ran in the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Yeah but wait, faster, yes, yeah, faster, yes, unbelieved.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's impressive about Tyreek is a man with his musculut tret able to run that fast. I had Tyreek dropped like thirty he's too heavy now coming in dead right last. But but if he's like one sixty five maybe yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, he gets.
Speaker 3: Out, especially if he trained, Yeah oh yeah, but he hasn't just naturally he's naturally gifted, naturally fast. If you add the training that they.
Speaker 1: Go through, man, he might want to go back in football because they are. They don't run that much in football compared to what they do in track. The work, yeah, the work got to beat them two fifties. I listen, I went, I went to Kentucky.
Speaker 3: I visited Kentucky to visit my daughter, and you know me, when it comes to competing, I can't sit still.
Speaker 4: So I get out there and I want to do the training. I want to do the training with him. Man.
Speaker 3: I did two. I did two two fifties, and I thought it was over. And then they had the four hundred and you had to do the four hundred. They had two four hundred, You had to do the four hundred and a certain amount of time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for sure, everything is time, bab. There's nothing that you just running, Ojo. You ain't just running. Everything is time.
Speaker 3: I told I told coach man, I appreciate the opportunity, man, but I'm going ahead and sit over here and watch.
Speaker 1: If you're a four hundred meter runner, you're probably running six hundred. You running a lot of sixes. Yeah, because you want to be up that endure it and the strength. Yeah, you want to build up that doors. You want to build up that strength. And you're not getting a whole lot of rest time. You probably you're running six hundred meters. They probably got you turning around in four minutes running another one. I don't want no part of that, man. Oh that's them track workouts. And I thought I thought we were doing something because we oh Joe, you know, we run hundreds. We run you know, one ten sprints, were running like to run it like the wire receivers running back. You're running fourteen you're running fourteen seconds. Get forty you run fourteen seconds, right, forty five second break taking rest?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure, Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 1: And we would run two hundreds. We would finish in about thirty seconds. We take two minutes breaks thirty seconds. So we'd run around the track and then we walked the time there to take us to get back over there. We take off again. Yeah, we run five, we'd rest, you know, three minutes, run another five rest, three minutes running over five.
Speaker 4: Boy, I remember them days.
Speaker 1: I don't want no more part of that.
Speaker 3: I remember we used to have Remember we had gases earlier, earlier in my career in the NFL. We had those gases sometime after practice, especially in training camp for those for those that didn't come into shape. Everybody had to suffer anyway, so they were gonna run us into shape. Yeah, and you want to, you want to, you know, you got the time, you get the rest so you want to finish your gases, not very fast, but fast enough so you get enough time to rest based on the clock how much time you had the rest.
Speaker 4: So either way, you gotta work. You gotta work and you gotta run no matter what. But oh man, I'm so glad them days over.
Speaker 1: The worst kind of tied to be is out of shape tire. You know what I'm saying, ought Joe. That's why, Oh you're not gonna get me, because that was they found out you tired. Now they're gonna get you. Now you mess message the hamstring, you're gonna mess. So I make sure I came. I'm talking about the peak conditioning. Yeah, because that's that's that's a terrible feeling local to be out of shit. I felt bad for some of my teammates, and some of my teammates, you know, they didn't make you know, they were overweight and they'd have to run hunting. But a lot of it.
Speaker 5: I would run with.
Speaker 1: Them, right, They're like, hey, you better, you better ask eighty four is you're gonna run with you know what? He keep it from running by yourself. I run with you.
Speaker 5: I run with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why, you know, that's another thing I don't like with that. It's one thing to be in shape. It's the one that it's one thing to think you're in shape. It's one thing to think you're in football shape. The way we train in off season, and then there's a football shape when you're in an organized, structured environment, being.
Speaker 4: Pushed in with the pads on, if the pads on.
Speaker 3: That's why I hate when teams don't have players in training camp and they're holding out for money and all this. Listen, you can't make up for that type of training by yourself.
Speaker 1: It's different.
Speaker 3: You're thinking you in shape, you're doing all this training in the off season, you're getting the training camp and on the second and third day you saw from head to toe.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: Because it's different.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter how it do't matter how much you trained, how hard you train in the structuring environment is different. When people are pulling and pushing on you and you're having it, you're having the dodge, folks.
Speaker 4: You can't implement that kind of training. You can't you.
Speaker 1: Get in football shape by playing football football. You get in basketball shape playing basketball. Ceed Lamb.
Speaker 4: I don't like what Dallas is doing right And then.
Speaker 3: Because brand Brandon not you. You know you didn't want to pay the man in the first place.
Speaker 1: Why wait this long?
Speaker 4: Why wait this long?
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Now you got to go to another team whenever he does get traded. You got to learn a new playbook. Even if you are implemented and you're gonna be the ex you're gonna be the zas whatever it may be.
Speaker 4: Still, now you got to play yourself into shape. Even if you think you in shape, you not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh ya don't know how y'all ran Gassers because okay, the way we ran him, we run over.
Speaker 4: We did sideline, the sideline.
Speaker 1: Okay, no, so just what we did. It's got to Savannah State. Coach say, only got fifty five sixty uniforms. Oh joe, we had like one hundred and ten, one hundred and fifteen twenty players on the football team. On the football team, goddamn, coach, say, I gotta trim the fat.
Speaker 4: So we so use the gases to do it. Oh that's not fair, that's not fair.
Speaker 1: Oh Joe. So over, everybody, get over. Okay, yeah, we're back right over back over over, back over back.
Speaker 5: We went to eight.
Speaker 2: Ay.
Speaker 4: Ay, it's only supposed to be down back twice.
Speaker 1: That's it over back over back over. That's it back over back.
Speaker 5: That's one. We did that twice.
Speaker 1: Oh don't we practice, nah oh Joe right hand before God, oh Joe, about eleven o'clock at night. Man, you have heard all them footlocker slamon calls, cranking out. They are out of me, They out of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, came back the next day.
Speaker 1: We was down to seventy five players, from one fifteen to one twenty seventy five.
Speaker 4: Just that could imagine. I can imagine. That's that's that's more torture. Though before we were thinking about that.
Speaker 1: And then we had three hour practice in the sun is Savannah. You're from Savannah, y'all know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Me?
Speaker 5: Ojo?
Speaker 1: Now you know your boy, you know I'm running on the track. I just you know, in this track season. So you know I've been shaped for plus o Joe, I ain't about one hundred and eighty two hundred and eighty three pounds back then, back then my freshman year. Right, so I already know how coach we come in, Coach gonna get I'm prime, and so you know that they try to break, you know, they're gonna try to break it.
Speaker 5: See back then, it is different.
Speaker 1: Now, Oh Joe, I don't know if you got this, but they're gonna try to break you first.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, I know you're talking about we got that.
Speaker 1: So the defensive coordinator, he was in charge of the whistle, so he blow the whistle. We take our running. You know me, we've been running by ten minutes, right, it's all quiet. Ere better, I said, I bet you get tired of blowing that whistle before I get tired of running. Now he was talking spicy. He blow the whistle, He blow the whistle. I said, I tell you what, run me till I drop it. Hey, So now my teammate, he just blowing the whistle. He blowing the whistle.
Speaker 4: Hey, go mad at you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he mad at me. But he don't know he hurting them because I already know. If it's hurting me, it's killing them. That's the way I trained. If it's hurting me, it's killing them. But I said, I tell you what, all I need you to do, coach run me. Just don't let the cafeteria your clothes because they gotta eat tonight. But keep on, let's keep running. He imagine I tell you what, you know, what happened my homeboy. But you see my homeboy, he gonna be in Atlanta. The head coach, coach David say, Joe, they done have enough. I said, See, I told you get tired of blowing that whistlefore I get tired of running. Hey.
Speaker 4: Hey, that's when a that's when you know you're in shape.
Speaker 1: Though you don't. I would put it like that.
Speaker 4: Damn some good days.
Speaker 1: You know what. I look back on it, I was like, damn, why the hell? That ain't no way, ain't no way. Now you could put those kids college or anybody that through. Oh yeah, no.
Speaker 4: Listen, the coaching is different, the coaching the way we were coaching.
Speaker 3: Listening about pop warn on, Yeah, ain't no Blahoma. What you know about Oklahoma drills? Man, I should know about Oklahoma drills.
Speaker 5: Come on and bully in the ring. Y'all play bully in the ring?
Speaker 4: You remember the bully?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And they called it Listen you in the ring and they call it number.
Speaker 5: I read, I ready, ready with your feet, come on with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hell, I remember them days. I know, I forget bullying the ring.
Speaker 3: Liberty City Optimists, This might have been ninety two or ninety three.
Speaker 4: What's the one where you're laying were laying your back? Oklaho Madrid. Yeah, man, listen, used to be nervous, his head a heartbeating fast. Oh man, it was some days. Listen. The coach back then, the coaching back then, it wouldn't even work today. All the coaches to be fired. The cussing, the screaming.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you I don't know how it was in Savannah, but you give people a better context if they saw the coaching, the coaching style.
Speaker 4: Remember the documentary of the Year of the Bull. You ever saw that the year the book? Man, Listen, it's different based on where we're from.
Speaker 3: I don't know how it is everywhere else, but out there in the city and Liberty City where I'm from.
Speaker 4: The coaching.
Speaker 5: Man, Man, I have a team, O Joe. I had a teammate.
Speaker 1: He was laying on the ground, try to get a rest because you don't hate like he was hurt. And the coach reached down there and grabbed him and snatched the dude jock five yeah you know you know h yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: He sneak it.
Speaker 1: Told clean off.
Speaker 4: But coach must have been strong as hell.
Speaker 1: Man. Look here, man, we were playing. We played the game. I forget who we played the whole Big Dad, Big Dad ain't gonna come. I had a teammate we call him Hill Minister. Now I call him big Daddy, but I do call him past the forward when I'm in his presence. But big ass big Daddy about this. So we played the game and one of the receivers didn't didn't get the plays that he thought he would get because he was the opposite of me. I was I started, I was the Z. They kind of rotated the other side, but I guess after the first and second quarter he wasn't doing what he's supposed to and uh, and he didn't get a play anymore. So Squirrel I was two, he was three. He finished the game, and so we ended up losing the game. And the dude and Coach Turner had his folded m hm, just like he's standing and Coach David was the head coach. Coach Turner was the office of coordinator. Coach Turner standing against the wall just like this here and the dude mumbling while Coach Davids talking. Man, right, I don't know what they're talking about he So he's saying it, but Coach Turner could hear it? Right? I know Coach Turner. I know he know Coach Turner too, because here a year.
Speaker 5: Older than me.
Speaker 1: Right, No, he two years older than me. He was a year after my brother. I said, oh boy, I'm saying to myself, you, oh Joe, you know how something coming? Yeah, and you got man leeve, lease stop talking. He wasn't talking loud, but he was talking loud enough with Coach Turner. Couet hear it. And because I was standing close to Coach turn here, he said one more time.
Speaker 5: He's slapping him now five from it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he said, Man, he say, coach you see it, just slapped me.
Speaker 5: Coach turn and say, I'll do it again. You'll shut the f up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how the coach was back then. Black, that's how the coaching was back then.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, all that back talking and all that stuff. Oh oh no, oh no. Look when Coach Davis came to recruit me, he he's like, son, if I was in the NFL, if I had a number one draft pick, yess my number one overall draft pick. Yeah, he said, son, how you how how? How how did how did you, coach, coach, I said, coach, I want to be coach, I said, but you can't curse me, real, I said, my grandmother never cursed me, right, I said, coach me hard.
Speaker 5: If I'm not doing.
Speaker 1: Something right, say, son, I need you to do it like this, coach I do, I said, if you curse me, it's gonna be a problem. We get a new offensive coordinated.
Speaker 4: Eighty eight came in that curson, Oh Joe, So.
Speaker 1: You know up first, I'm the number one receiver, so you know. Okay, we go through the route tree, speed out, five yard dot, run it again, okay, cause you know, maybe maybe I didn't speed out, maybe I planned it and broke out. Maybe you want to see it. So I I'm gonna fight that thing. Wow, run it again, you know me? Oh Joe, I'm football. That's my ticket out of here. All I'm thinking about. Hey, I ran it again, speed cut it, quarter back through it, got it turned up. Run it again. But the hell, I said, coach, I mean, what am I doing wrong? Don't worry about it. Run the moo route again.
Speaker 4: Oh shit?
Speaker 1: Hey, oh Joe, I ain't. I ain't changed word like my grandma says. I ain't changed words with it? Right?
Speaker 5: Who dropped him right there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I walked into the locker room right coach. Coach David said, hey, where are you going? I said, coach, he cursed me. I told him I'm gonna do that. Coach David said, hey, he said, Brick, I told you don't f with that one I coached you. Yeah, he came to the locker room. He came out, O Joe. I was already well by the time they got there a practice because this at the give in the practice, I mean, I do win, got me some out of it. To the cafeteria eight. I played in my bed. You're like, this is it.
Speaker 4: I'm chilling, You're chilling, hold on, but I want to know now you got me. I'm all invested in the story. What the hell he made you run the goddamn speed out.
Speaker 1: I'm a big dog. He trying to get everybody attention, so he gonna he gonna coach.
Speaker 5: He gonna do that through me.
Speaker 4: Oh, so he trying to attack it, ass you just for no reason in front of everybody.
Speaker 1: Trying to show that I'm in control here. So I'm gonna get on him. He didn't realize him. You don't need to do that.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna do what you asked me to do.
Speaker 1: Right right, But you can't curse me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know a well, I don't know if you could survive down here, broy, because hey, listen, the coaching here, whether it be the collegiate level I'm about even at um, whether it be or not that I went there.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just I just know high school level. Again. If you if you ever see the documentary of the Year of.
Speaker 3: The Bull, you got to tell ass to show you just the small little clips and you get to understanding what I'm talking about. When I played at Liberty City Optimists, no in the innocence with them, with them coaches.
Speaker 4: It's about cursing. Yeah, man, listen, matter of fact, hold o.
Speaker 1: Joe, you know when you're in Little League and you coming up in high school, I mean that's so you know you didn't know any better, right right, right, right right. Everybody got the coaches, you know, all the coaches they coached everybody like that. But once I got to some size and I'm you know, coach Hall. Never coach Hall don't curse anyway. So Coach Hall my high school coach that's your coaching my mom. My mom graduated high school in nineteen sixty. He caught all my uncles. My uncle started graduating in sixty six, sixty seven, sixty eight. He was the driver's ed teacher, so he like knew my family. Okay, so, but he didn't curse anyway, right, So tell your story each other, and then we're gonna get over to the fath. My grandfather obviously had a farm. You know, my oldest uncle, he already gone, he got a family, blah blah blah. But the boys, hey, they got to work at the farm. Okay, y'all. Hey, mister Barney, the boy really good. My oldest, my second oldest uncle named Barti Junior. They called him VJ. Then my next oldest uncle, Thurnman, and then James. So my grandfather told coach Hall, he said, Hall, I'm let these boys play football. Now. If something happened to one of them, y'all gonna come here and help me tend these fields. Hey, my grandma, they play now, Hey right? Oh no, no, miss mister mister Poort, ain't nothing gonna happen to him. I give you my word, nothing gonna happen my young uncle broke his ankle. Ah, coach Haull know this. He already my grandfather had told him. So he's sending the assistant coach to take James home.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: He pull up there, get out of there. Oh, he hopping my grandfather meet him at the door. What the hell? Yeah, mister mister Barney, that boy done broke his leg, he said, oh he did. Huh, Paul told you what I said, right, No, mister Barney ain't telling. He said, I say, if something happened to one of them boys, y'all two gonna help me ten D fields? Oh and he agreed to that. Yeah. When mister Barney, I don't know anything about field, well, who in the hell gonna help me ten D fields? So after that happened, he's like, oul, you ain't getting no more of my boys. Well it wasn't but two of us, me and me and my brother right right, So, had my grandfather not passed, we're not playing no football football No hell, now that's funny. Barney Poart didn't play that. He old, hey, I wish you to take you my home time and people.
Speaker 4: Behave Yeah, you know what that sounded like?
Speaker 5: What you just said?
Speaker 4: You saw the movie Fences, Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, remember Denzel, someone wanted to play wanted to play football, and Denzel was like, don't want to play football.
Speaker 4: You need to go find you a trade.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well the trade was you're gonna be working on them feet. It wasn't no trade, You're gonna be working heels. Yeah. Cole Hawker stuns the world. He out kicks Josh Kirk, the raining World champ in the fifteen hundred meters race. Build as a Barbara because yaka Inger Brison, the Norwegian has been doing a lot of talking. He's the reigning Olympic champ. Josh Kirk, he's the raining World champ. I like what Cole Harker said the other day. He was in the race with both of them, and he says, I liked where I was. It shows me I can run with these guys. So I'm not giving up on the gold medal yet. Lor and behold Ingle Britin tried to take the paste out what he likes to do. He likes to push the race. He likes yeah, but he did for twelve hundred meters he pushed the.
Speaker 3: Pace came out of where. Then at the very the last ten fifteen meters. That was a good kick.
Speaker 1: But see that's what curve. That's Cur's fault. You never let anybody pass you on the inside. You slam the door. Yeah, never, never, never, that's one oh one running track running.
Speaker 4: Gotta make it. We gotta make him go around you make it difficult, can go around you.
Speaker 3: Yes, he blocked you know, he probably he probably thought he can look up at the screen, right, you think they're the screen in front of He probably even know anybody was on his inside.
Speaker 1: What here is the thing? He probably would inger breasts and blocked him the first time. He thought he was gonna give up and probably go why because normally what they do. You blocked me on the inside, I'll sling shot and I'll come why.
Speaker 4: And then make it that much more difficult to Harker said, Nah.
Speaker 1: You're gonna relax and think that's what I'm gonna do. But I'm gonna come up on your inside of get got by. He have no juice, So now it's between he, Joshua and the goose. Yeah. I mean, but oh Joe, I forgot. All I can do is give you my best. I mean, think about the time he ran an Olympic record. He beat his best by three seconds seconds. Yeah, what about a du oh, joe, if I give you my best if if if your best, o Joe, you get your best route, and a dude, Hey, whether it's a shake, whether it's out, whether it's the end, whatever the case may be, cover your best route.
Speaker 5: What you want me to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they get paid. They get paid too.
Speaker 1: Yes, that man ran three He ran an Olympic record. I mean that's the second fastest. That's the second fastest American time ever. Bernard Legot got the fastest time, but only by fractioning number second right, but it was Cole Harker was unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Uh Yaron the Goose.
Speaker 1: The first time since nineteen twelve in Stockholm we've had two men to podium m uh in the fifteen hundred meters. Obviously, that race is normally dominated by the Kenyons. Uh Ingle Britson wanted in Tokyo, but normally the East African nations normally do a great job of the way they trained. The Kenyons or the Ethiopians or some of those normally win that race. But for Cole Harker to do that on a big stage, say he our personal best by three seconds seconds.
Speaker 4: I mean listen, the field.
Speaker 3: The field, the field, especially in the final, will push you to do some extraordinary. Yes, they will push you to do some extraordinary every time.
Speaker 5: You got to.
Speaker 1: But see, think about it, that's what it was gonna take for him to meddle. That's what I mean. Even if he if he runs his best, think about it. If he runs three twenty nine, which is a second better, he ain't get no medal. He ain't gonna make the podium, right, that's crazy. If he runs three twenty eight, he's gonna.
Speaker 5: Get the bronze.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has to run a three second personal best in order to get the gold. Yeah, and on that day, see oto remember that one day now. Yeah, he had never been Inger Bristin, never beaten Josh Kerr. But for one race, I just need to be better than you right now? Yeah, gotchaba, not next next week, not next not in the anomal League meet to finish out the season. Right here, world champ, he'll Olympic champ.
Speaker 3: That's crazy how that works. But again, even though still the USA basketball team has four quarters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ain't it ain't happening.
Speaker 1: Vallery Almond won her second consecutive Olympic discus goal, becoming the first US woman in the history to accomplish back to back goals.
Speaker 5: She won by almost two meters.
Speaker 1: Sixty nine point five zero meters are two hundred and twenty one point one eight four feet, the best of the field by nearly two meters. She's unbelievable, tremendous technique. She was a former dancer, so obviously her feet are good. The rotation, she gets great fan she gets great elevation on the disc. She's sensation. She's sensation, and she look like it's just like so graceful, so beautiful, effortlessly five out of her head.
Speaker 3: I was able to watch that, matter of fact, when I saw it when she when she threw the last one before winning gold.
Speaker 4: When she threw it, it was veering off to the left.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, God, damn, it looks like it's it's it's going off off the field. But I forgot, you know, the field, it windens out, it windens out, so regards to which way it goes, it's it'll still be in.
Speaker 5: And the man's discus, I think, uh.
Speaker 1: The guy from Lithuania, Electna, his dad was the former world record holder, won the gold medal. His dad won in two thousand and four. He's the world record holder. And I think he just said the Olympic record at this year the lipid but a discus in the disk a shop. Yeah, okay, Ryan, crowds won the shot. Letna get me from Lithuania. Where are you from Greece?
Speaker 4: That was crowded? The second goal, wasn't it? Second? Second to third?
Speaker 1: Third? Yeah? He wound was tokyo in my parents. I should have.
Speaker 4: I should have. I should have been a shot putter. Man.
Speaker 1: Man, you ain't throwing that sixteen pounds ball.
Speaker 4: Oh it's sixteen pounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I could I throw that back by seventy five seventy five.
Speaker 4: Eighty yards yards the feat No yards with the right technique.
Speaker 1: No, you ain't got that kind of technique. Man.
Speaker 4: If I could, if I could spend, when I would.
Speaker 5: Spind, Yeah, man, there are very few.
Speaker 1: There are some. There are some shot putters that still glide. No, you got a glide technique. I see where you already stand. You gotta glide?
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm finished spin with it.
Speaker 5: No, you gotta turn your back to the camera.
Speaker 3: Nah, I got a different type of technique. They give me torque, So I get some more torque.
Speaker 1: Yes, no you hey, oh Joe, oh Joe, you gotta put okay, you got your hair here, you gotta put his hand up the turnaround. Yes, yeah, see that's exactly what's going to happen. To see there you.
Speaker 4: Go, because I ain't got no, I got my socks.
Speaker 5: No worry about it.
Speaker 4: Hey, I got and you see you see the technique in the in in the form though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see that's a glide. But if you watch Ryan, he saw, he saw he gets so such great elevation on the on the shot right took when he took that chalked up when he put that sixteen pound metal ball up under here, Yeah, that's a lot of torque. That's a three hundred pound man. That's six foot five, six foot six, maybe even six seven. So just imagine in that little circle.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: He has to put that.
Speaker 1: Ball up front of the rotate and he normally tries to ending on his first throw. Once he just that first throw in, now he can relax and nobody else. He's going for world records. Now he's tried to put a sixty a seventy six seventy seven foot throw out there. I don't know how much further he could take it, because I didn't think anybody was gonna break Randy Barnes record at seventy five ten that he sat in eighty eight and I think it was in Sacramento. I remember he broke Uf Timmermann's record, the great German. I didn't think anybody was gonna get seventy five ten because really nobody had been close, right, And then you see crowds and starts knocking on the door.
Speaker 5: He's like, could he could he?
Speaker 1: And he did, yeah, and he obliterated the record. I ain't not nothing ow, he'd just break it. He shouted the record. The United States women's national team pushed their ticket to the gold medal round forward Sophie Smith's score in the first first half of the extra time to lift the United States women's team to a one nothing victory. Remember, if I'm not mistaken, I think they beat the German team for to one in the first round. Nine days. If the yeah the place the living gold medal game for the first time since twenty twelve, it will play Brazil, which upsets Spain and the reigning Women's World Cup champions with a dominant for two win. Is Martin still playing?
Speaker 3: Yep, she playing, She played, she plays, She's still she's still, She's still there.
Speaker 5: She got suspected, but she I think she.
Speaker 4: Is.
Speaker 5: She for US.
Speaker 4: No, she's playing that game.
Speaker 1: So she was suspend against US too. Oh, she's spent suspending the game before and Spain she was.
Speaker 4: I think she comes back our game.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, all right, she's back against US. O Joe, congratulations. Women back for the first time since twenty twelve. That's a long time, and we normally dominate. Yeah, dominating that. You know a lot of a lot of our best players begging Rappino, Julie fire all those. Uh, what's the Megan? What's the other one? Universe of Florida. Uh, soccer player, the one that just.
Speaker 4: Returned, Alex Alex Morgan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the tight Ends wife. She retired. A lot of them, Yeah, a lot of them. Oh you know, some you know having families now some of them, you know, you know, Meghan Rapino retired, Julie Foudy has been gone. But I forget the other one. She went to the University of Florida, and so now this new young blood and new crop knows what it's the expectations. Yeah, you're the women, it's not the men, where there's not a whole lot of expectation. Yeah, we're they're not expecting the men to beat Argentina or Spain Portrait of Trains, say anything. They're not expecting that. But the women, if you come back with anything, let's to go that we were disappointed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, most definitely, most definitely disappointed. Most definitely be.
Speaker 1: A Ham and all them girls that got us. Girl, Yeah, that we're ball now, joe H.
Speaker 4: The volume