Speaker 1: Attention, glamour girls. We will be in Chicago this Sunday. That's right, we are performing at the Den Theater in Chicago this Sunday, August third, at the same time as Sabrina Carpenter set at Lallapalooza. So please support queer artists by buying tickets to our show. And you can use the code Stradio twenty that's straight io to zero at checkout for twenty percent off. And if you're in Boston, Philly, DC, or Toronto, those shows are also coming up and they are selling very fast, So get those tickets while they still last and enjoy the episode.
Speaker 2: Podcast starts. Now, what's up everyone? You were listening to Stradia lab Bi coastally. Of course, I'm coming at you skinnier than ever due to food poisoning. But I am drinking Gatorade in a mug so that visually it doesn't look like gatorade. It actually looks tasteful and chic.
Speaker 3: Well, I was saying, you're sort of like an actress with a drug problem doing Johnny Carson and then her you know, aunt slash manager is coming in. It is like, just give her the blue Gatorade like she knows that when the blue gatorade goes into the gullet, it's time. It's time to say those talking points. And then she's there, you know, promoting her big MGM movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like and somehow she does pull it all together and everyone is so moved and they're like, I'm gonna see this film.
Speaker 3: Shout out to our friend Dana Dario's novel, which'm pretty sure has a very similar scene in it. I have had three kind of cinematic things happened to me over the last twenty four hours. You want to hear about the God Yes please number one. This morning, you know, fans of the pod might know I am in some ways cheating on Sam by co hosting a different iHeart podcast that is a pop culture history podcast about the Kennedys. This morning, I did a public radio tour. So here's what that entails. I'm on a zoom. Every ten minutes, they bring in a different local radio host to interview us, and then they leave. And it was like, first of all, I had an amazing time.
Speaker 4: It was like your fantasy.
Speaker 3: It was like a window into eighties slash nineties promotional tours because it's like you know it's someone who is the host of a local radio station in southeastern Texas or something, and his name is like Tony at nine and then he comes in and he has like a really great radio voice and he's like, so, guys, like you guys are talking all about the Kennedys. I mean the Kennedys are just classic Americana, like what's your favorite thing you've learned, and then it encourages you to get into it and you start doing radio voice, and it just was so heaven to me. I was like, this, this is what my life should be every morning. So that's one one.
Speaker 2: Okay, first of all, I want to respond to that and just like please, this is so interesting because I've always hated on the radio when they're like you're listening to one oh one point seven the Nash and it'll be like we have everyone from h I'm dua Lipa Like yeah, yeah, it's me blah blah blah. Like I'm always like, how did you get that celebrity? Oh? Ales Ayris. I've always been like, wait, are were they all there? Have they ever all been there?
Speaker 4: And it's from this is a It's always from that tour. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then also, one of them always does like a little more. One of them will be like, what's up, y'all, it's Ariana Grande, Like one of them will we'll do like a little twist on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, okay, so that was your first first time.
Speaker 3: Second, I don't know about glamorous, but it's like moments that would happen like in a sitcom or something. Second is on my way here, ran into someone. I Oh, I'm like truly two months late on sending a draft two and like, it's just the terror of running I didn't for everyone listening. There wasn't a hard deadline. I just said I would send something and then it took me a while. But it's like the terror of It's very like Sex and the City Carrie running into her editor. Sure, like the terror of running into someone at a coffee shop and then having to like not quite address the thing that both of you are thinking of, because this person is like meeting with someone else and she's like, oh, it's my coworker Angela, and you have to be like, oh hi, how do you two know each other? And you can't be like, well, actually I am sort of not sending the thing I meant to be sending. So that's and then the third thing, which I'm trying, I'm going to try to anonymize as much as I can. I had an insane conversation last night where a friend revealed to me that someone I've known for years, like someone I've known for like maybe five years, is allegedly a pathological liar, and many things I thought were true are not.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, why do you have to anonymize this?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I know this person.
Speaker 3: You don't know this person. This is like in my non comedy life. It's not someone who can miss like no one write in. It's not you know, you're not going to guess it, but it is. It's like you know that you know, Gray's anatomy writer that had that expose written about her that and she like cried about being sick and all this stuff. I watched the documentary, I'm like, oh my god, this happened to me. And you know what else, this is someone When I first met them, I was suspicious. I was like, something's off about this person. And then because they were like basically nice to me, and because other people I knew were friends with her, I was like, huh, it was my instincts were wrong, but you got to always trust your gut.
Speaker 2: Trust your gut with people that are like true pathological liars. I'm like, just go on the traders, like no, just like live it up, like there is a world for you and there's a spot for you in society.
Speaker 3: Well, I do think that we were talking about this with Parviti, who is who we support one hundred percent, is not a pathological liar.
Speaker 4: But we can't stand hardly.
Speaker 3: I've never stanned anyone harder, including every actress, but I think there is just I really have come to believe there's a certain personality type and they arranged from good to bad. But it is a type that is meant for reality television, and that is okay, Like it is good that reality television provides an outlet for a certain kind of.
Speaker 2: Person Yeah, well it's someone who's like deeply, deeply charming and deeply like good at games and whatever. But it's not like they don't want to be an actress necessarily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or they do and they're not and they don't have what it takes, which is also fine.
Speaker 4: George, don't say that.
Speaker 3: Not I'm not saying that about anyone specific I'm just saying, like, some of them do want to be actors. Sure they will have to you know, we have to be honest. Sure some of them do want to be actors. Of course.
Speaker 2: Well, it's very sitcom that you were having all these Hollywood moments that and I was sort of laying in a bed.
Speaker 3: Well, I was about to say, you know, it's very rude of me to talk about my amazing Brooklyn lifestyle without addressing the fact that you have food poisoning.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I've been sort of doing that thing of like laying and rolling over and looking at my phone and like seeing emails and being like not even having the strength to respond, yeah, and being like, oh god, but now we're out in the studio and it have never felt better in my life. Well, well, and I think we should actually bring in our guests.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I would absolutely be thrilled to do that.
Speaker 2: Well, our guest is to die for. Please welcome to the podcast, otsico O Kotzika.
Speaker 5: Hello, beautifuls Hi, Hi, busy.
Speaker 3: George B.
Speaker 4: Busy, George B.
Speaker 5: Busy being Hollywood life, not in Hollywood even close.
Speaker 3: That's right. Well, I try, you know, wherever I go as Hollywood. Basically, Hollywood goes wherever I go. Even though I live in Nashville. Every day I wake up and I feel like it's Hollywood.
Speaker 5: Yes, I will like church, church is in you.
Speaker 2: Oh, I do feel that, like saying like you know, blank in this town, or like oh you know it's showbiz or whatever. It had a level of irony in New York that it doesn't when you're here. It's sort of like, oh, no, you are. It just is Hollywood and it is this town and it is a small town.
Speaker 5: Yes. And you over there with your food poisoning. I was like, oh my good, this is Is it awards season you're prepping for?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sam has air quotes food poison he had he did to prepare for the Lost Cultures as Cultural Awards.
Speaker 4: I had to fit into my little suit.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, what So what's wild is? I actually had food poisoning too a few days ago.
Speaker 2: Really, how did it feel for you?
Speaker 5: Mine doesn't sound like it was as intense as yours? Okay, because I wasn't like, oh so thin, you know what I mean. I wasn't like that.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I think I'm a little My symptoms are lighter than what people typically, Uh describe is.
Speaker 3: That because you are kind of stronger morally and psychologically, would you say than most people? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, I don't know. That's a wild bold clan, right.
Speaker 2: Most people.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm just stronger than most humans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, I mean is a mental game.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm like, this is the fact that both of you had it, like this is a Hollywood thing. You are both preparing for a war season.
Speaker 4: It's an epidemic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, mine was pork noodle soup. How about you?
Speaker 4: I think oysters? But I don't really know.
Speaker 5: Okay, you don't. Yeah that's true, because you we be eating, We eat, and then you know what you know? Sometimes you know immediately and sometimes.
Speaker 4: Did you know immediately?
Speaker 5: I kind of maybe liten that next hour or two, and I I I live wild. I do things like I left this pork noodle soup out overnight and then I then I did it in the morning. I came back to it in the morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you think so you got the poisoning because it had been out overnight, not because it was on its own bad.
Speaker 5: I think I wonder, I think it's both. Maybe you know, it's gotta be a combo.
Speaker 2: I need to talk about these oysters I had, because they weren't.
Speaker 5: It's not I'm taking my earrings off. I'm not like, I'm not trying to fight.
Speaker 2: Well, they look amazing, by the way, for the listeners, they're ritz crackers, but they these or a style I had never had in my entire life. I didn't think I needed to read the description because to me, oysters are oysters. There's one style. They came I'm not kidding, with a scoop of like Italian ice on them.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that happens. What, Yeah, that's very common.
Speaker 5: Is this cuisine Italian cuisine?
Speaker 4: No, no, this is common.
Speaker 3: Just because it's Italian ice doesn't mean it's Italian cuisine. It's just like it's a little shaved ice on top I've had.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, well, I have to say it was more.
Speaker 2: It was like a scoop. It was not like a shaving of ice. It was like a scoop of essentially popsicle. And they were like different flavors, Like it wasn't just like citrusy. It was like like one was like cotton candy flavor. Okay, that's not okay, And I was like, this is nasty as hell.
Speaker 3: Wait, one was actually cotton candy flavor.
Speaker 4: Literally it was cotton candy flavor.
Speaker 3: And was this restaurant sort of like super sophisticated molecular gastronomy and that's why it was cotton candy flavored or was it like trying to be populist and.
Speaker 4: Was trying to be it was trying to be the first one?
Speaker 3: Really it was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really I and this is complicated. I don't want to like blow up a city's whole deal, but it was in Portland, and I think when you hear that, it makes it make more sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've been very surprised by Portland cooking and like, you know, the food there is just generally so good. I agree, it's the chefs. Yeah, the chef's the ingredients they dare to eat wild, So I mean, hence you know this Italian eyes, right.
Speaker 3: No, I agree, I trust so important because I'm sort of like you guys dedicated your life to this, like not you know, if you're living in Portland, you've abandoned everything else for the sake of two things, being experimental with things that don't matter and being quirky and by things that don't matter I mean food. I mean clothing like that is your life, none of No one is a lawyer, no one is a doctor. Everyone experimenting with food, sustainable fashion, and you know, if you're lucky burlesque.
Speaker 5: Yes, but not diversity. They're not experimenting with that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: But but but food and drink and you know the other stuff you named, yes, hence, but then do you think it was the flavoring or the oyster itself.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it was the oyster itself, but the flavoring just gave me a red flag in general.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that'd be molecular.
Speaker 2: That be molecular. I also want to say, in the topic of food poisoning, we'll move off of it very soon. But you know how it's like an excuse all the time, Like if you want to cancel on something, you're like, I have food poisoning, Like it's crazy to actually have it where you're like, oh, it does exist, Like it's not just a catch all for like I don't want to come to the thing. It's like, no, you can actually get this.
Speaker 5: I want to know these circles you run in where everyone's like, oh, you know, food poisoning, and it's.
Speaker 3: Such a classic excuse. I feel like it's yeah, especially like for like asking for an extension for a paper in college or not showing up to college.
Speaker 5: Sweetie, I'm I'm well, do you think I am?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: College, I'm like, bitch, college was I could barely remember it?
Speaker 3: Okay? What about? What?
Speaker 4: Imagine?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 2: What if you what do you say when you want to when you're on a show and you're like, wait, I don't want to do this anymore?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're like, oh, I just looked it up.
Speaker 2: It's an hour away.
Speaker 5: I thought we're all about more. Honestly, these days, I say that, like my energy or time can't really like give to that right now. Yeah. Yeah, I don't want I don't want to. Yeah, I don't want people to think I'm food poisons all the time.
Speaker 3: No, that's listen, and I agree. I actually I agree with you. I do. I would not, at this stage of my lifely about having food poisoning. I think what I would say is like I would probably say something like I put it in my calendar wrong, I you know, uh, double booked. I'm I'm not you know, you'd say, which I think is a soft lie. But I don't think I would actually go so far as to be like, my grandmother is sick. Yeah, yeah, I think these.
Speaker 5: Days people would understand literally going like I don't you know my energy, or like I overshaw you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And I actually think, I actually think the more detail you put into it, the more you're putting it on the other person, the more you're like, oh my god, Like my cousin suddenly flew into town and she has a huge problem and I have to go pick her up because she actually is experiencing a really new virus and is in the middle of a park and and suddenly it just went blind and I have to go there and lead her back. Like then suddenly it's the other person's job to like ask follow up questions, whereas if you ultimately just tell them I'm tired, they might be mad at you, but they're not going to ask follow up questions. No for su sure.
Speaker 5: Sure, And you said that long sentence like you've sent that text before.
Speaker 3: Because I was young. I do think when I was younger, I thought, which is a classic mistake that you know, liars make, Not that I if I as a liar, but the Lady doth brotok. People think that by getting more specific, you are being more convincing, and it's quite literally the opposite, Like you just sound like a crazy person.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, sure, I think it's complicated too, because you know, I did have to cancel on something last night because of real food poisoning, and so it was tough because even though I, you know, I think I agree, I don't use it as an excuse anymore as I once did. But it's like, how do you say, like, I have food poisoning, Prince, He's not lying like I want to be like, but for real, you.
Speaker 3: Can do that.
Speaker 5: You can do that, throw everyone on an house under the bus that's lying and say no for real though, not like not like George or whatever, not like George's food poisoning, but for real.
Speaker 2: Real food poisoning.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do want to prove it, but there's no way to except for now. Now, now we have the proof. You've all seen it. You've seen how skinny a yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well that's what you should do. That's what you should do is send send a photo. Send like a shirtless pick before you just look emaciated. Look I'm so skinny.
Speaker 5: Look at this tiny top.
Speaker 2: I'm worrying normally this barely fits. Oh now I'm drowning in it? Exactly should we do our first segment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it. I'm ready.
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 3: Ought to go? Our first segment in this podcast, which is called Strader Lab, is straight Shooters, And in this segment, we test your familiarity with and complicity and straight culture by asking you a series of rapid fire questions where you have to choose this one thing or this other thing A or B. And the one rule is you can't ask any follow up questions about how the game works, and if you do, we will get so mad at you you would not believe you think we're being nice. Oh ha haha, we're all joking around. I so much as hear an intonation that could be construed as inquisitive. I am going to literally take a plane from Brooklyn, New York aka Hollywood when I'm here and land at Lax, go straight to that studio and get frankly physically violent.
Speaker 5: I want to see you try what you just described will take three days to happen literally next to this studio.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding? I'll see you in three days a week with the way Boeing is these days.
Speaker 5: Yeah, George, that I have to say.
Speaker 2: That was a beautiful sentence in general. Oh thank you the inquisitive intonation. I was like, whoa, he's going for it today?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 5: No questions? Okay, boom, no questions from me?
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect, Well here's the first one. Okay, build a bear or build a blasio, build build a bear.
Speaker 3: Taking the train or aching with pain?
Speaker 5: I love these rhymes. Taking the train or aching with pain, Aching with pain?
Speaker 2: Okay, use your name taken or thou hast forsaken, thou hast forsaken.
Speaker 3: Liking your CRUSH's story or biking into a trash bin.
Speaker 2: Sorry, like your crushous story, Hi Jinks and Sue, or it stinks like pooh Hi.
Speaker 5: Jinks and Sue for sure?
Speaker 3: Susical the musical? Or using pharmaceuticals?
Speaker 5: Whoa, oh yeah, can I say both?
Speaker 3: Sure, that's on that question. So we are going to deduct points. But you can answer.
Speaker 2: Both, okay, okay, both exchanging pleasantries or exclaiming Heaven's.
Speaker 5: Me uh, exchanging pleasant trees?
Speaker 3: Okay, Osicho, it's raining men. His name is Glen. I paid in yen. Or your grade is ten?
Speaker 4: WHOA?
Speaker 5: Your grade is ten?
Speaker 2: Wow, Georgie, and I have a question that actually in your grades ten, did you mean like you received a ten on the test or you are in grade ten?
Speaker 3: Okay, I did so. It did occur to me that it can mean it can mean both. I'm also I feel like my intonation was not Was it that the first part was also rhyming?
Speaker 4: Say it again?
Speaker 3: It's raining men. His name is Glenn, I paid in yen. Your grade is ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, I thought your intonation was beautiful.
Speaker 5: We knew, we knew the rhymes.
Speaker 3: We knew.
Speaker 5: That's not that wasn't why we wasn't the issue. It was more semantic your greatest ten? To me, I'm like, you're great. I would be telling someone guess what your greatest ten? Whereas if they were in tenth grade, what would the context be where I would be breaking when news to them?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I mean, I hear you loud and clear. It's just that like who.
Speaker 5: A loss memory loss?
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, it's like it's a tenth grader that wakes up and is like, what great am I in?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Your greatest ten? You're greatest ten?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Well? And also like who gets a ten on the test? Like I have to be honest. Even if you fail, you get like a sixty.
Speaker 3: Oh see, I was thinking it's like from zero to ten.
Speaker 4: Oh, like they got a ten on a ten.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like on the runway.
Speaker 3: Yes exactly, t yes, Oh my god, that would be crazy if someone got a ten out of one hundred. I mean, that is your orderline, you know, non functional, and that's okay.
Speaker 5: You may need to be told that you're also in grade ten.
Speaker 3: And okay, that's a really good point. So it's like your grade is ten out of one hundred, and then you're like barely aware of your surroundings.
Speaker 4: And by the way, you're in tenth grade.
Speaker 3: So you better, honestly, you better like get it together because college applications are starting next year.
Speaker 5: Yes exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yes, the person who hears this there go, oh, I got a ten on my test and I'm in tenth grade. It sound only tens ten cents across the board.
Speaker 5: That's right, Yes, exactly. How this segment is making sense to me? Yeah, now I get it.
Speaker 3: So, speaking of tens across the board, OSCO we rank our guests performance on a scale of zero to one thousand Doves, which is named after the Lady Gaga B side one Thousand Doves from the album Chromatica, which is not represented at all in the set list for the Mayhem Ball I don't know if which people have been keeping tabs on that.
Speaker 4: I have been keeping tabs on that, and I found it upsetting.
Speaker 3: I actually think it's it's the opposite of ari Astra making Eddington in that Gaga is like, you know what, we actually can't be nostalgic for Lockdown quite yet. Yeah, She's like that just happens, yes, because she could have to doing Dramatica. Really is when I think of Chromatica, I think of Gaga and Ariana performing with novelty masks. Yeah, at the like MTV VMAs, and it's like, I'm actually not ready to picture that just quite yet.
Speaker 2: The thing is, have you gone back and watched that? Sorry to I'm.
Speaker 3: Not sorry, we need to remember that we have a guest I'm listening.
Speaker 2: Well, it's literally I recommend everyone to go back and rewatch it. The Yeah, Arianna and Gaga VMA's performance because it feels like when you watch, like you know, a performance from something when like World War Two was happening totally totally whoa whoa, whoa, it's like so weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, people were still figured. People were still figuring out where they stood. Because now there's such stereotypes of like this archetype is an anti masker, this archetype is like a liberal who is banging pots and pans. This archetype is like January sixth rioter or whatever. At that time, we were still figuring out where we all stood. Yeah, what you're supposed to look like?
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, So so basically we have to rank your performance on scale of zero to one thousand doves. Like I I'm gonna come out and say it, you did incredibly well in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: I think you were very confident in your answers. I like that you did both for one of them, and I honestly think the fact that you did both sort of like raise more questions than answers, which is what it's all about. You know, obviously we are going to cut some points for asking a question, but at the same time, I feel like it's playing with the forum to ask a question, and it's punk rock to do something you're not supposed to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sometimes I think asking a question is a gift because it lets us get mad for one second.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly right. So I'm thinking, I'm thinking, I'm thinking, like eight hundred ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Whoa, that's an amazing score.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of doves. Yeah, that's a lot of duff folks. That's a lot of dough that's one hundred something. I couldn't do the math fast enough.
Speaker 3: That didn't.
Speaker 5: That wasn't the whole thing. That wasn't the whole doves.
Speaker 2: It was the whole doves. But there was a lot of doves.
Speaker 5: I can go home happy about that.
Speaker 3: What would you do? What would you do if if we actually sent physically nine hundred or eight hundred and ninety eight doves to your home?
Speaker 5: I would Well, so they're flying, right, they're flying in and it's not like you boxed them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, they are.
Speaker 2: I think they I think they would arrive in a box to be honest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, so I insaid, instead of you would have bought them an airplane, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm thinking helicopter carrying a giant like I guess cage you would call it. But they are flying within the cage, but it's not a closed box. Like there's an air going in and out. Obviously, we don't want to kill them. They can breathe, they can breathe, and they're flying. They've actually created a really beautiful community inside the cage, inside the Stradio Lab branded Dove Cage that we said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're happy in there.
Speaker 3: They're happy in there. Some people have kind of emerged as the leaders of the town. There's like a Zoron figure of course, and a Cuomo figure. You know, there's always one.
Speaker 2: Of course, That's that's how it goes. You know, you have to have balance.
Speaker 3: So they arrive. You know, I'm not sure what your house looks like. Obviously in LA you have some outdoor space, which is nice. Would you immediately free them? Would you choose some to raise and some to eliminate?
Speaker 5: Yeah, eliminate. Eliminate would be a bold choice. I mean, even if there is a even if there is like you know, a Cuomo type or whatever, you know, I would say, well, int sting, you know they they I mean, if you think about it, right, nine hundred doves, that's that's its own helicopter too. I would I would say, hey, you know, these boys are so silly, you know, they these guys could fly, but no, let's put them in a bigger flying thing, right, And I'd be like, oh, that's interesting. That didn't answer any of your questions. That was you know how I would first respond.
Speaker 3: Yes, course, listen, we understand if you need some time to like process the fact that you now are the proud pet owner of almost nine hundred doves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I would. I would try to train some that's fun. I would you know, to to do male again, you know, reminiscent of their past. Yeah, yeah, don't forget where you came from.
Speaker 3: Oh my, that's a really good that's a really good point. And actually this could be speaking of Portland. I feel like it would be a very Portland small business for you to literally have a small business that's like a private dove mailing service. And it would be like people would use it for their non denominational wedding invites. People could use it to plan, you know, a sort of polyamorous retreat. They can use it to send invites for a sex positive queer film festival.
Speaker 5: Yes, maybe tiny snacks if it's not too heavy, they could deliver them.
Speaker 3: To Yes, some chick pea chips, perhaps, individual individually revidually chickpea puffs.
Speaker 4: Yes, that sounds amazing.
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, I forget because doves are pigeons too, so.
Speaker 2: We need to have this conversation. Doves our pigeons. Doves, they're just like their definitencies.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, they're just white. And you know, just like everything in life, when something's white, they go, well this is better.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do agree with you. It's like, not only is it racist, but it's also like quite simply wrong that being like a dirtyish, all white bird is more attractive than being a beautiful pigeon that has like little stripes and stuff like I do think aesthetically speaking, if I were to if you were to tell me, okay, you get an article of clothing, you have a beautiful dress that you're gonna wear the big Gala, do you want it to be like more in a pigeon gradient or a dove gradient? I would pick pigeon every time you would.
Speaker 5: I mean, because like, white parties are so big, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: They are, but it's not exactly. But a dove is not fully white. It's like this dirty. It's like dirty white gray cream. Don't you think I guess you're okay. So you're like you're saying it's quiet luxury. What a white dove is quiet luxury?
Speaker 5: A quiet luxury.
Speaker 3: Which is like a sort of minimalist aesthetic where you're wearing just like a plain beige dress or like jeans and a really expensive white button down or something.
Speaker 5: That's how I usually they paint doves. I haven't looked at a dove in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I feel like, yeah, you you really got a specific color going on for them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only does I think of our like magician doves, Like yes, And.
Speaker 5: To me, they're like, oh, it's pretty like I don't know, I would just say white, but maybe maybe they're a grayish off color. Maybe it's not as attraction.
Speaker 3: You know. I think what I'm thinking of, honestly is just that like they are naturally a little dirty because they're outside, and so whenever I've seen a dove, I'm a little bit like someone needs to clean that, Like this is not the pristine white tone that I was promised.
Speaker 5: Yes, but I'm with you in that, and I'm with you in that, like, yeah, they're overrated, Like why do they get a better why do they get a better status. Yes, to the point, they have a different name, right, it's you know, no, I'm not a pigeon, you know, that's them.
Speaker 3: A different name and a name that's like synonymous with glamour and glitz.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Christianity and Christianity.
Speaker 4: I mean a dove.
Speaker 2: I would argue its closer to a swan than a pigeon in my mind, Like I'm like, what a fancy words.
Speaker 3: Totally although you know what though, unlike a swan, which has maintained its chic reputation, I think everything named after a Dove is kind of low reent. Like if you think about Dove chocolate, Dove deodorant, Dove even just like Dove as a as a Procter and Gamble company or Unilever or whatever it is, it's not These aren't sophisticated products. You know, we're not talking about like this isn't you know Louis Vuitton.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of sad because in a way, they're like telling us that we're pigeons and we should aspire, yeah to be like there is something condescending about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is how you know that doves are pigeons, is you know, how they release them during a wedding. Have a big dumpster, dumpster trash right there, and then when you release them, watch them go straight to the trash.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, literally, they are. They are just like rats of the sky.
Speaker 5: There's still this. They'll be like, they'll go back to who they really are. They'll be like, oh, you think you think we're going to take off into the sky. No, you know, they're going to go into the pilot trash and be like, actually, you know, we're just we're just cousins of pigeons.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's something I'm working on. So doves to pigeons, swans to geese. Swans are swans just geese? Are they different?
Speaker 5: You know, well because geese come yeah, yeah, right, swans are just white geese.
Speaker 3: Right wait, are they geese or ducks?
Speaker 4: Whoa, they're they're geese.
Speaker 2: The long neck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, swan and geese have long necks. Ducks have short necks.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I guess that's true. I guess I guess. I was recently at a pond that had ducks and swans, So they com mingle. Okay, so that's yeah, they're like friends, but they're not in the same family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But like ducks and mallards are like kind of the same.
Speaker 5: Whoa mallards is? Okay? See this is when that's straight culture literally knowing the difference between what we just said.
Speaker 2: In a mallard.
Speaker 3: I completely agree. Yeah, there's something about like this obsession to catalog everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: I don't know what mallard is.
Speaker 3: What's I actually also don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: It's like a type of duck, I think, but it's like I think it's like sort of more regal.
Speaker 5: Do you come from a bird hunting family?
Speaker 2: No, No, but I've I've I've tried to, like I tried to once have like a joke about like the narcissm of small differences, but for ducks and mallards and how people like how like you'd never want to call a Mallard a duck because they'd be like, well, I'm a Mallard. We're actually extremely different, and everyone else will be like, no, you're not, You're the same.
Speaker 3: I think that differences is like the overarching theme here, like all these things. Either they are birds that have very similar you know, eating migration and uh and otherwise habits, or they are pond bird pond creatures that are also very similar and are just like eating random scraps of toast that children are throwing at them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's like you guys do yeah, what.
Speaker 5: You guys are good at sounding like you're an expert in every subjects.
Speaker 3: We have had. This is literally our entire our entire m O, our entire career.
Speaker 5: When did these two become bird experts? I'm like, I just told about pigeons and then here we are, I don't know, big old Like, wow, No.
Speaker 2: I honestly have to say that this conversation has been like so vintage Tradia lab in a way that I really was like, oh, this is nice. We haven't gone, like done a deep dive on something sons.
Speaker 3: Favorite thing, honestly, and it really is true that we haven't done in a while. Our favorite thing is putting things into categories. It's like and making a theory about the world from those categories. Like, Okay, now we're talking about like Swan's ducks, geese, and what's the other one? Mallard. Mallard like, I'm like, I'm so ready to spin this into a theory about how those are the four kinds of gay people? You know? Am I ready to do that right now. Maybe not God, not after food poison not after my big public radio tour, and not after Sam's food poisoning. But just know that that the wheels are turning and in a few months you're we're thinking Instagram carousel. Here's the fourte Yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we can go into it, but we'd have to study. We'd have to me and you, George, at least know what mallards are a little more.
Speaker 3: I know, it's really killing me that I can't picture what it is.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like a duck. It's essentially like a type of duck, I think, yeah, but it's like.
Speaker 5: More respective which ones are the ones we eat?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a good question. Like if you're getting I don't know, if you're getting a peaking duck. What kind of duck is that?
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's your typical, you know, green head one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it's that whatever that is. You know. I had pigeon and and you know, sorry for anyone who's easily grossed out, the head was served. It was cut in the you know, cross section, so you could see like the head and where the bra and like half the brain, and the guy that served it to us goes, you know, the way you eat this, The skeleton is actually so thin that you can just eat it whole and it's just crunchy, and so you take the half of a head and just put it in your mouth and eat it.
Speaker 5: Was this also molecular gastronomy.
Speaker 2: This was Yeah, did it come with a scoop of sugar?
Speaker 3: Let me guess Portland. Let me get this Korean restaurant inside a subway stop. Oh, like a like a fine dining Korean restaurant inside a subway stop that you like, you go into this gross subway then there's an unmarked door, but it's like if you know, you know, you go in, suddenly you're in, you know, you feel like you're in like a London you know, like a sophisticated tasting counter.
Speaker 2: How was it?
Speaker 3: Honestly delicious?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 5: Brooklyn has changed?
Speaker 4: This was in Manhattan?
Speaker 2: Actually, Yeah, Georges going Manhattan girl mode big time.
Speaker 5: Easy pigeon restaurants, restaurants, easy Korean restaurants that serve pigeon just off fresh off the street, fresh off of Manhattan.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is the thing. It's like you hear that and of course it's you know, it's not squab. But what there's like there's like a more sophisticated word people use, but it's literally pigeon.
Speaker 5: Squab, not another bird time I don't know.
Speaker 3: And of course you're like, you're like, oh my god, a new thing like this, I can't wait to try it. And then you remember, wait a minute, there are pigeons literally on the street, Like are these pigeons literally coming from above ground? You know, above the f train.
Speaker 2: Well, this is what I have to say. I've never understood how we have different names for things that like when they like a chicken is also poultry, I'm like, just call a chicken, like we have the name for it. Oh yes, I know, Like why have the second name just for when you're eating it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like a pig pig and pork yeah pam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pam totally. But don't you think that is to distance yourself from the violence of eating this, you know, beautiful smart animal, of course.
Speaker 5: But fish is fish water, They chopped liver. We don't care. We're like, yeah, that's fish.
Speaker 3: That's just like you know, it's true, it's true. And then sometimes you know you'll be dealing with like a big turkey and suddenly someone will call it the bird and you're like, oh, sorry, have we gone full circle?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Now they're like trying to incite more violence. They're like, don't forget, we're killing you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Oh yes, right right right, it's true.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 5: But again, fish is fish.
Speaker 4: Fish is just fish.
Speaker 5: Because vegetarians will eat fish sometimes and they'll be like, ah, I do that though. I'm like, oh pescatarian right where they're like I eat no meat, but fish.
Speaker 3: It's like what what?
Speaker 5: Because they're because.
Speaker 3: They don't blink.
Speaker 5: Because they don't blink, you don't feel like they're real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're one hundred percent right.
Speaker 3: Prescarians are the most morally weak people on the planet. It's like, commit to something.
Speaker 4: Well, have your cake and eat it too, right.
Speaker 5: Right, They're like, oh, because you know fish, and it's like, what, they don't have feelings. I think it's because fish don't blink. So they're like, oh, it's definitely fish don't blink.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I don't breathe underwater like I'm breathing oxygen.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they breathe water. They're they're othered because they breathe water.
Speaker 3: You know pescatarians. It's like, yeah, I feel about It's how I feel about people with one minimalist tattoo. I'm like, either be tattooed or don't be Either have h like, have the courage to have full sleeves and you know, a portrait of your late aunt on your chest, or go to work at the consulting firm. Don't try to have it both ways. Don't have a origami sailboat on your ankle.
Speaker 4: Done.
Speaker 5: That's cute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, oh that's cute.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, what I'm going to get that.
Speaker 3: Literally The reason I mentioned is because that's the touchtoo I wanted when I was in my twenties.
Speaker 2: Should we get into our topic today? Yes, So this is interesting. We're doing something that's kind of brand new, which is that we asked Otsco sort of what her vibe is and what, you know, sort of things she used to do that could be construed us straight and she brought up cheerleading, which we George and I both jumped at and said, that's so genius. We never talked about cheerleading. We have to talk about cheerleading, and Osco said, well, I don't think it's straight. So we have now decided that we need to have an official debate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well where the cheerleading is straight or to convince Otsico that it's straight. But before that, Otsco, I actually would love it if you know, take take the idea of straight or gay off your mind, and I just want you to sort of tell us about your cheerleading past, like where was it, what was it, like, how did you get into it? Did you enjoy ages?
Speaker 4: What type do you miss it?
Speaker 3: Do you feel like you're quote a cheerleader at heart and comedy as your plan B.
Speaker 5: I'm a cheerleader in like, that's like my perspective, you know, I'm very like yes, and I'm always like you go girl, you go get them, you know, I'm very like I'm kind of like a little John two people.
Speaker 3: Sure you know? Yeah, yeah, you're the little John of comedy. Yes, you're saying that.
Speaker 5: Well, even in my stand up, I talk about the things I love. It's not me complaining about things things I hate. No, it's like me defending even like the live laugh love sign, because life is hard what we like. I don't think you should judge anyone for being genuinely stoked about something you know that. That's like, that's me. So I think I am actually still a cheerleader, you know, like at heart or you know, which whatnot. Our squad, you know, some people, depending on where you grew up in the United States, some people when they hear that I was a cheerleader, They're like, oh, you were a jock, you know, and I'm like, no, Like our squad was like it was full of girls that were like, if it wasn't for cheer I would have joined a gang, you know.
Speaker 2: And that.
Speaker 5: Was my girls. It was like mostly Latinas and black girls, and we were like self taught. It was like some of the girls like boyfriends were part of the crips, you know what I mean, some of them had been shanked before. It was it was like that Venice High School in Los Angeles. Okay, oh yes, yeah, Venice is like you know Venice. We were like the crips, and then Culver City was like our rival. They were the bloods and so like even the last day I our graduation day, someone got shot on our campus, you know, so it was like that it wasn't like bring it on, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, so you were building community and like sort of doing cheer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was also like a harm reduction model.
Speaker 3: It was like these girls, you guys were at risk youth and you are just like just like Hillary Swank in that one movie taught kids how to a journal, you guys were you guys were taught how to cheerlead and that.
Speaker 5: There was no Hilary Swank character.
Speaker 3: I see. So it was community you have a it was community based. You taught you taught yourselves.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, yeah, we yeah, we didn't even have a coach until like our third year, and it was a blonde woman that the school had hired from a gym nearby who was like a weightlifting teacher. She didn't know anything about cheerleading, but they were like, she's blonde, I think that's what you're supposed to do. So she just kind of like chaperoned us if we had to go away to games.
Speaker 3: And was this a did you do any form of like competitive cheerleading or was it always cheerleading a sports game that boys were playing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was cheerleading a sports game.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So no, there was no way we would not be able to even get into the competitions like one like one person could do a no headed cartwheel that we were so self taught. That person was me, Oh.
Speaker 4: Congratulation, Ariel, were you chair captain?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: No, I I helped choreograph a lot of the dances though, because I you know, I I had like taken dance classes since I was a kid, and yeah, I liked choreographing. So yeah, okay I did do that. Yes, yeah, So so straight or not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we can, I think sam Andi, I think Samuri can like attempt to make our argument for why we think it's straight, and then we can have you respond. How does that sound?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean obviously yours sounds like a very unique experience.
Speaker 5: It's gonna get dicey because okay, I already I would love to hear why you guys think it straight, because sometimes it could get dicey. Sure if you're going to bring up gangs, because then it could get into race instead of you.
Speaker 3: I don't you guys do something? You guys, gangs are the last thing on my mind. Right, So it is so funny that gangs have already come up, because when I think cheerleading, I don't think gangs, like just on the very basic level. And Sam can you know build off of this. What I'm the reason I think it's a straight topic in a very obvious way is because of its portrayal and pop culture. It's always like football boyfriend, cheerleading girlfriend. The cheerleaders are the most girly, feminine, popular girls. They are blonde, maybe they have pigtails or a ponytail.
Speaker 4: They are the pop stars of the school.
Speaker 3: They are the pop stars of the school. They are also like bullies, and they bully the more like alternative you know goth girls that maybe are artists.
Speaker 2: They well, they're literally encouraging you to get in line and support the team. Yes, like stopping altern support.
Speaker 3: They're based. They're also like they are the precursor to being a PR girly because what cheerleaders are.
Speaker 4: Cheerleaders are hired.
Speaker 3: PR for the football team, and what the football team is is basically the United States Army. So if you are a cheerleader, that means your role is to put a kind feminine face on something evil, which is men taking a running start and hitting their head hard on their rival's forehead. Yeah, so it's like and then getting really bad brain damage from it. So if you're a cheerleader, you are complicit in a really really awful way in crimes against people's health, in warlike in warlike culture, and in the military industrial complex.
Speaker 2: I mean, George, you really really nailed that. Thank you have to say. I'm like trying to think of like what you might have missed, and quite frankly, I have nothing.
Speaker 5: Don't you think? Also for me as a cheerleader, though no one was listening to us, And it's actually a very unhinged sport because we're out there. We're out there being like, you go, girl, you got this, when we have no say in the game. Yes, we literally aren't playing the game.
Speaker 3: But that's where the pr thing comes in. It's like, it's like being hired to write Let's say you're hired by, you know, a political candidate to write messaging. It's like you're not in charge of what the actual policies are. Your job is to sell them. The policies might be you know, violent, right wing whatever, but it's your job to sell them. And that's what you guys are doing. Like you have no control over whether they win or lose.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, But nobody's buying us because this is what would happen. Okay, our team would be losing, Like so like we're at zero points and we still have to be out there being like we go, girl, we got this. We just look demented and the crowd knows it. We're screaming at the players like trust us, bitch, like we're like we're gonna win.
Speaker 3: No we're not.
Speaker 5: We've never won.
Speaker 2: Well, this really brings up something interesting and sad, even where it's like when do you just give up as a cheerleader because your your whole thing sort of depends on the hope that you could win. And if there's no hope.
Speaker 5: You still have to You still have to do the same messaging when the proof is right in front of your eyes. So I don't know how much propaganda we're able to do actually when it's like, well, girls, we can see our team sucks, and we're still doing I'm doing aerial after aerial after arial because no one else has a trick. I'm tired by the end of every game. I have corn rows in my hair because the black girls on this squad were like, girl, we give you permission, We're going to do it on you, Okay. So I'm out there just trying to make friends as an immigrant you know what I mean. That's what cheer leading meant to me. And so whether whatever messaging I was promoting, okay I was. I was dizzy by the end from the arials. I still had corn rows and our team still lost.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I'm hearing I'm hearing the queer argument.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm hearing the queer argument.
Speaker 4: It's female friendship first and foremost.
Speaker 2: And it is also like like hope in the face of so much loss exactly, Like it's kind of like still believing that like we can destroy capitalism, yes, when it's like everything points to like no, we can't, Like we're losing.
Speaker 3: So where did you hear? We heard it?
Speaker 4: We all heard it.
Speaker 3: And I think here's what I'm thinking. It's honestly, it's like there's a literal war going on right next to you, and you guys are making little zines with poetry like it's the it's the naivete of thinking that you doing a backflip could in any way help the team do better or and there's something sort of I think the the the act of being on the sidelines is very queer, like the act that it's like this is this is mainstream culture.
Speaker 4: This is stray culture over here.
Speaker 3: What's happening, which is the football players, it's the coach, it's even the people watching. The people watching are also part of the mainstream culture. And then you're coming in and you're sort of this like side show. It's like you're doing so in that sense, you're doing off Broadway.
Speaker 5: A little bit. We all just want to be on stage. We want to be in theater. But you know, theater was expensive, and I mean so was cheerleading. But we had you know, we had like car washes and stuff like that. We raised money. But I wonder why we had to audition to get into theater. Not all of us could sing and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Did you not have to try out to get into the cheerleading squad?
Speaker 5: We did, But know it was very like can you do a.
Speaker 3: Cart with yeah that spirit? Yes? Sure? Sure? And then were there men? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Were there men?
Speaker 5: They're actually were not on arsen not.
Speaker 3: On your squad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that checks out.
Speaker 3: Here's my question for you, Sam, as someone who grew up in what I envision as like an all American environment, you know with whatever that entails. Sure, and I know what my answer is to this. Did the actual reality of the cheerleaders at your school fit in with the pop culture image we have of cheerleaders. Were they in fact the popular girls?
Speaker 2: I think for my for the school I went to in Michigan, which was a much whier school, that was the case, okay, Like it was a very like how the media depicts high school is true, like the high school, the cheerleaders are popular, the jocks are popular, and like it trickles down from there and then But then when I went to Virginia High School, which was much more black school, it was like not necessarily the case, like it was way more like less clear who was like popular and who was not.
Speaker 3: Okay, interesting because I would say the years that I spent and this was middle school, because then you know, I was in America high school. But in middle school I was at like a relatively white high school. It was like sort of suburban Northeast. I would say. The popular girls played like field hockey and lacrosse and maybe even soccer. Like the popular girls also were expected to be athletic in this way, and it was the they were expected to be like athletic slash preppy. It was like lacrosse and they had little bows in their hairs. And the cheerleaders. There was something sad about the fact that they weren't the popular girls, but they thought that cheerleading would be an avenue into popularity.
Speaker 2: Well interesting, you know what I mean, Like it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't they weren't they weren't I mean I think you know, it was a mixed bag. Maybe some of them were also popular, but it was not in any way like cheerleading equals popular. I would say the most popular girls were doing the like white people's sports.
Speaker 4: Oh that is really interesting.
Speaker 2: I feel like we didn't have lacrosse and field hockey and those sports at my school. Yeah, it's very I think maybe that's yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it depends on what where the money is being sent to totally. Yeah, right, where they invest what sport they invest in. So our school also had golf, Like yes, like the rich white people's sports like golf and swimming. Those were actually the more popular kids. So they were white. Interesting, So it's like, you know, it's where like the richer. It's just like, uh, how the world works. You know, it's like wherever there's money, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, and that is the bigger through line is what I've always said is like, whoever had the most money in high school was the most popular one.
Speaker 3: I also, actually I am not realizing the money thing. If you have money, you are or if you even like grow up in an environment where you are feeling competitive and you're feeling like I'm gonna get into Harvard and I'm gonna do what. You're much more likely as a girl to play a sport that will help you along those lines than you are to sign up to be you know, just holding pomp poms? Yeah, yeah, like you are basically a girl boss in training. You're like, lacrosse will lead to my my Dartmouth application essay, and then that will lead me to Goldman Sax Yes, exactly sure.
Speaker 5: And into world domination.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now let me ask you something out to go. What is your relationship with pomp poms?
Speaker 5: Well, we had them, and do I still own them somewhere? I don't know. They picked up dirt real easily.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was hard. Did you feel like when you pick them up you got excited and were like ready to go?
Speaker 5: What was I more excited about? I was more excited about doing the dances and the cheers, the pomp poms yeah, pomp poms were fine. We didn't use them that much for some reason.
Speaker 3: I'm asking because to me, that is something that is so that's what takes it into this almost like self mocking thing. It's like, if you don't have pomp poms, you're doing dance and you're doing gymnastics, and it's easy to argue like we are doing something that is actually challenging, it is a real sport. You suddenly add pomp poms to it, and it's like you're making fun of these people. Like it's like you're like a circus act. You're like, don't, don't take me seriously. I'm just kidding. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I wonder if that's why we didn't use them as much, because we also were trying to do stunts too, you know, like throwing girls, throwing girls in the air, you know, right, they had to do you know.
Speaker 2: You're doing that self taught. Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's so dangerous.
Speaker 5: Yes, but you know, you just I mean I was always on the bottom. I could never but the girls on the top were very light. They were very light. It's almost like they were flying themselves.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: We just kind of threw and like hoped and then we would catch you.
Speaker 3: You actually had to pull them down because they were floating.
Speaker 5: They floating. Yeah, they were like, oh no, she's she's so light.
Speaker 4: They're much like me right now after my food poisoning.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, they all had food poisoning.
Speaker 5: Yes, oh she's so ready for the means, you know, and we had to Yeah, we had to bring them back down. I wonder if that's why because we were like, you know, yeah, I think the pompoms is more decoration, honestly, honestly, and so yeah, so we didn't use that as much. I think about those girls a lot, you know, and uh yeah, like you were saying with like gold Man Sacks, you gotta do, Yeah, the cross takes you there. You know. For us, cheerleading was like it's like the save we got to save the community center down the street kind of energy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The way that you're describing this chileading squad is very movie. It's very like cinema about like the rough and tumble squad that like has to then compete with the rich people and like they lose horribly, but like they win friendship and whatever.
Speaker 5: Right, there was friendship and also it was good because you know, I also was bad at academics to stay on the squad, you know, which meant a lot to us because it was community, it was friendship, and and also discipline because you had to keep a certain grade of course to stay on the squad. So that also forced us to like try not to fail in classes and stuff, which which was good. You know what I mean, it was kind of Yeah, it's like it's like a gang.
Speaker 3: You really keep you keep going back to the gang. Yeah, you really wanted to be a gang. You really want it to be a gang.
Speaker 5: I'm like good gangs were not mentioned during this debate about straight or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're the only verson on earth who could connect chewing into gangs over and over and over.
Speaker 5: I mean, they did it. They're the ones that said it.
Speaker 3: It's funny. I'm now thinking about I think you bring it on, and I'm thinking about competitive cheerleading, and I'm also thinking about, you know, the recent the recent story about how the Texas Cowboys cheerleaders finally like reached a contract where they can be paid a living wage. And I'm just thinking there is something so inherently tragic, like in a true like Greek tragedy way about the sport of cheerleading because you are in this inherently supporting role, like no one is quote unquote there to see you if you are the cheerleaders for a sporting game that people are at, and.
Speaker 5: It's the only sport where you're supporting another sport exactly, people are actually there to see exactly.
Speaker 3: And so within this definitionally second class citizenship, you are fighting for rights. But it's so difficult to make the argument because of course you are not at the quote unquote at the level of the athlete, because you're by definition the one supporting them, like you are literally there to cheer them on. But then you still deserve you know, higher pay and equal rights, and so you are in this bind where you will never actually reach equality. And it almost like mirrors, truly mirrors like the struggle of women throughout history.
Speaker 2: Well, there's something about like the way cheerleading was founded, because I do think the place where cheerleading is now it is a sport if you're like doing like the competitions are insane, and the way they have to be so good at it is insane.
Speaker 5: It's wild because you're cheering nobody. You're cheering nobody.
Speaker 2: You're like performing what it would be like to cheer someone on, Yes.
Speaker 5: Exactly, just it's just your mom's in the crowd because they drove you there. Yeah, and you're still doing full blown routines. Go go, go, generally go you who are you pumping up? Just generally? Everyone feel good? That's wild.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like and the whole thing is like flawed from like from birth, Like they've tried to take this thing and be like it's you know, in the fifties, it's like the girls cheering on the boys, and then it's like, okay, over time it's become a genuine sport, but it's still based in two boys people.
Speaker 4: So it's like you have to like erase the past.
Speaker 2: You need to like restart, Julie, do you know what it reminds me of now it's just dancing gymnastics.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of beauty pageants because beauty pageants are inherently, you know, just on a literal level, misogynistic. If it is a competition for who's most beautiful, of course that is you know, a sexist event. But as they have evolved along with the times, it becomes a scholarship, it becomes also an interview portion where you prove that you are smart and worldly and thoughtful, and so then you're sort of are in this midway point where you can't win, Like you can't can't argue that it's good, and you can't argue that it's bad and you're not getting paid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you still have to be hot.
Speaker 3: It exactly at the same time, it's like you have to be hot, but then you also have to be constantly talking about how amazing it is that you are in such a diverse group of people that are all hot.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, totally, totally. Yeah. Yeah, it's a you know, it's a it's just for show. It's a vibe. It's a vibe, and I think.
Speaker 3: That's actually the that's the gayest thing about it. I would say it's like the theater element of it, the costume element of it, the pom poms, the pageantry of it is very queer. But the fact that it is a barnacle on the side of like the NFL, is what makes it straight.
Speaker 2: Right right right barnacle. Yeah, Okay, here's what I'm imagining.
Speaker 4: Hear me out.
Speaker 2: This is a okay, so the same that you had your like girl friendship gay guys in high school need an outlet as well, And I think they almost need an anti cheerleading squad where they can like spread rumors and lies about the opposing team and potentially like bring the vibe down a lot and be like maybe like a school Twitter account or something and just like spray like rancid lies about the other team, and then they could all connect and have something to bond over.
Speaker 3: You're saying, you know, cheerleaders are, as we've said, publicists, but what we need is bloggers.
Speaker 2: Literally, that's it, right, Every school needs its own gawker.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, are their uniforms too though, Yeah, Uniclo.
Speaker 4: Is going to make the uniforms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Uniclo is going to make the uniforms. Are going to be really boxy.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, let them shine, let them soar. These bloggers, you.
Speaker 3: Know from experience, bloggers are not allowed to shine. They have to remain in their basement and there on their keyboards.
Speaker 5: So the gays are just still like like locked indoors, not there.
Speaker 4: But they can't be fabulous. They are.
Speaker 3: They're like they're like Perez Hilton in his case, drawing, drawing, Come on on, Misha Barton, and.
Speaker 5: The positive is hey, at least you get to be gay exactly. At least it's you. At least it's your authentic self. But you can't go outside, yeah and want to be doing dances.
Speaker 3: Nope, Nope.
Speaker 4: For many, grab the computer, baby.
Speaker 3: For many gays, being on the computer and being mean is being their authentic self much more than you know, whatever else the liberal media will have you believe.
Speaker 5: No, of course, of course, but all of them, what if I mean? And then some of them, you know, some of them want to be on the squad.
Speaker 2: Well, this is why it gets difficult to.
Speaker 3: We haven't even mentioned gay guys on the squad exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, that's the craziest part of it all. Where it's like the way that the moment a guy is on the squad, his sexuality is called into the question in a huge way. And if he is straight, it's kind of like a straight guy being in theater, where it's like, if he is straight, it's like, I mean, it's much worse, of course.
Speaker 3: Because a straight guy being in theater, at least you can be like, oh, that's a leading man, that's Marlon Brando. Yeah, there's no equivalent of a straight there's no a straight cheerleader role model.
Speaker 5: Wait, can I tell you though, there's four former I know a lot about this because I've talked about I talked about it a lot in my latest special. Actually, but there were four US presidents for former US presidents former of course.
Speaker 2: They're former four US president trum Trump, Trump and.
Speaker 5: Trump who were cheerleaders?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: Wait which ones? Which ones?
Speaker 5: So it was Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan, George Bush, and then there was one more.
Speaker 3: I mean, these are big, big ones, big ones, like these are ones I've heard of. Let's say that.
Speaker 4: Yes, that is so surprising.
Speaker 3: Wow. I actually do remember, you know when liberals and Roosevelt sorry wow, oh FDR or other one? Oh my god, oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah FDR yeah, FDR.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, I do know about George W. Bush because that was a classic case of liberals doing the thing where they're accidentally homophobic to criticize the Republican, like people being like, you think this guy can run the country, he's faggy. Oh wow, is that right?
Speaker 4: Definitely, It's such a thing.
Speaker 3: It's like when people used to like make jokes about Trump and putin making out.
Speaker 5: I know, it's so dumb.
Speaker 3: It's like, take one breath and like think about what you were saying.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, I know, well maybe there's something insidious about a male cheerleader. Yeah, because you can, like because everyone's like, oh, you're probably gay, where you can like almost like be more evil. Well you can literally like are assuming you're a cool gay guy.
Speaker 3: Well that's why that's No, it is literally true. That's why straight actors sexually harassed because they're literally they're there, they're on set, no one's suspecting them. Suddenly they're sexually harassing.
Speaker 4: You're supposed to be an actor.
Speaker 3: You're supposed to be an actor.
Speaker 4: Stop it. Wow, what an amazing point this is.
Speaker 5: Well, well, so do we not choose? Yeah, what have we decided? I mean, well, okay, how about this oddsicle? What do you think based on the arguments you've heard today? You guys made really really, really solid points.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm like, maybe it is just straight yeah, you know, but I also don't want to take away from the fact that it's got so many elements that you know, are trying not to be the convention, right, and uh, you know, maybe some of the community it's built. Also, some of the girls on my squad were totally with each other.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm gonna say. This is one of those classic instances where it is a straight concept, but queer people made it their own. And there's a story of resilience in the face of so much prejudice and hardship. And I think it's almost like how it's like how gay people made Disney.
Speaker 2: Gay Yeah, or like Survivor even or Survivor.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I will ready okay that all right.
Speaker 3: We did it.
Speaker 2: We did it. Well, that's going to make saying we should do our final segment.
Speaker 3: Let's do a final segment.
Speaker 2: Otsco a final segment. It's called shout outs, And in this segment we payomash to the grand straight tradition of the radio shout out, giving a shout out to anything that we are enjoying. People, places, things ideas George and I will go first, and I have one.
Speaker 3: I have one too, Go ahead, you go first.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: What's up, theater goers and off Broadway aficionados. I want to give a shout out to our friend Josh Sharp's new off Broadway show directed by Sam Thinkleton called Tada. It is at the Greenwich House Theater. I had the privilege of going to opening night on my actual birthday. That is how I chose to spend my birthday. It was absolute heaven. Jennifer Lawrence was there. I had seen a version of the show two years ago, and I already thought it was great, but when I tell you it, it was elevated into real capital t theater. And to see someone essentially do an elevated version of PowerPoint comedy, something we have seen so many times, and to pull it off so well, to have it be so nuanced and interesting and unexpected, and to not at all have to like let go of the gay guy comedy sensibility, to just like commit to exactly who Josh is, and to do it in a way that even Jennifer Lawrence can enjoy. I thought was so incredibly impressive. It really felt invigorating and really inspirational, and I felt honored to be his friend. And I just want to say, Josh, you go Chica, and if you're in New York City, I don't know how much tickets cost, but look it up and go see Josh Sharp today. You will have an amazing time. By the way, it's eighty minutes. If you're worried about theater being three hours of these days. You're gonna get and you're gonna get out. You're gonna have dinner via Croda. You're gonna have an amazing night in Manhattan. And I love theater, I love off Broadway, and I love gay guys.
Speaker 2: Whoo whoo. Well that was amazing seconded and I can't wait to see it when I'm back one day. Okay, what's up freaks, losers and perverts around the globe. I want to give a shout out to the TV show Say Nothing. Through having food poisoning. I've been like, what TV show can I watch that doesn't step on what I watch with Misha, And I said, I don't think he wants to watch Say Nothing. So I've been watching Say Nothing. And let me tell you this show is to die for. First of all, Irish. Irish is trending. We all know this to be true. Second of all, you know, fighting an oppressive government. Baby, if you liked and or guess what Say Nothing is and or but Real, get this. It happens in real life too, much like food poisoning and or but Real. All the performances are to die for. I find it both inspiring and a bummer. And it is so interesting and I'm only four episodes in, but I can't wait to get deeper and deeper into Say Nothing. Thanks FX for the amazing Prestige TV. Xoxo Sam.
Speaker 5: Whoo wow, I prepped something that was wrong. I think what is your I thought we were supposed to like shout out something straight.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's just anything that we like, but you can.
Speaker 5: It was like, haha, shout out something straight.
Speaker 3: And I was like, wait, I love that. I love that you're shouting out something straight. Go for it. I don't you want to? Well you can do it.
Speaker 5: I can. Oh god, I thought this was like an ironic like shout out something straight.
Speaker 4: It can be.
Speaker 3: It definitely can be. I mean we've shouted out things we hate in the past, we've shouted out things ironically.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, perfect? Am I like the worst guest at all?
Speaker 3: Actually I loved this episode and I loved debating cheerleading.
Speaker 5: Okay, here I go. Okay, I mean I'm not good at this. Hey, hey, you over there, that's who I'm talking to. Yep, thanks for listening as Oh yep, and it's Bippy me otsco okat Scott, your girl. I'm telling you, you know, I think Hayley Weaver. Her skin is so pretty, it's so beautiful, and her skincare is you know, I can't wait to try it. I just love looking at I love looking at her face. I love her. I think it's cool. She what she built, you know, and then she sold it for I don't know, billion dollars.
Speaker 2: I think so that was wild.
Speaker 5: Hope she uses it for good. She definitely will, and she will and uh, that's that's skincare for you.
Speaker 3: Wow. I love that shouting out road road skincare, and they really need the press.
Speaker 5: That's what it's called road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one dollars, she uses it.
Speaker 3: Well, there's like no time to talk talk about this right now, But at some point we have to discuss the lie that is these companies. Yeah, the skincare thing must crumble, like I just simply, I simply don't believe it. Like you can convince me that Hailey Bieber is a successful entrepreneur, You can't convince me that Kylie Jenner like who. You cannot convince me that anyone is buying this stuff.
Speaker 4: I fully, George, I'm on board. I'm on board.
Speaker 3: I refuse to believe what Forbes dot com is telling me. None of these people are are billionaires.
Speaker 5: There's that many faces in the world that need these products, and.
Speaker 3: They believe Hailey Bieber. There's so many existing skincare companies.
Speaker 5: I know, I know. I think it's right that you have to be so good at branding. I mean, she keeps her face moist, lolking her face.
Speaker 3: Oh she is wet, wet, wet.
Speaker 5: Yes, and so you're like, okay, So I think that's the I think that's the key to look you know, in your twenties. But she is in her twenties and so you know, but that's how you sell, I guess. But there's drag queens, there's every pop star has a skincare line and makeup line. So it's hard to chew.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: I guess that's one thing we spent a lot of money on. I know, as humans is like our face, you know.
Speaker 3: It's tough. I recently did buy a lip mask that Sydney Sweeney recommended and I'm loving it. Right.
Speaker 5: See, we all get influenced when it comes to a face. It's the first thing people see about you.
Speaker 3: That's true. So I don't know. Well, damn well for another time, But I just want to say, this has been such a pleasure, Otaco, and please tell people where they can find your special, where they can find your work, where they can find you.
Speaker 5: I Oh, I'd be at Otsco Comedy on my Socials and then yeah, my latest special is on Hulu and Disney Plus called.
Speaker 4: Father Beautiful, Wonderful. Well, thank you, thank you for having me. It was so fun.
Speaker 2: Bye bye podcast and now want more?
Speaker 3: Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patreon dot com. Slash Stradio Lab.
Speaker 2: And for all our visual earners, free full length video episodes are available on our YouTube now Get back to Work. Stradio Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Created and hosted by George Severis and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 2: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Han Soni and Olivia Aguilar.
Speaker 3: Co produced by Bei Wang, Edited.
Speaker 2: And engineered by Adam Avalos.
Speaker 4: Artwork by Michael Failes and Matt Grog. Theme music by Ben Kling