Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two this Tuesday, Dan and the dan Uts Dan Patrick Show. Glad to have you on board. We recapped all the NBA action last night. If you were a betting man, would you bet on the Nuggets coming back to beat Minnesota? Probably pretty good odds that you would get long odds if you're a betting man. But what we saw last night with Minnesota that was impressive and the drama was taken out early as they dominate that game one oh six to eighty without Rudy Gobert. The Knicks take game one forty three for Jalen Brunson. Tonight, Calves at the Celtics, that'll be game one. Mavericks at the Thunder that will be game one as well. All right, Seeton, what's the poll question for hour two? Let's clean up our one and then turn her attention to hour two. Let's see we have being compared to Michael Jordan. Is awesome or a burden? Right now? Fifty six percent of the audience say it's a burden, okay, which is so odd because it is probably both of those things, but it feels way more burdensome than it does awesome. Yeah, but our expectation level is raised now because if you attach Jordan to anybody, then all of a sudden we expect greatness. And Anthony Edwards is just learning how to play in the postseason. I mean, it looks like he's done a pretty good job and understanding it, not mastered it yet. But you know, it took Jordan a while to understand what he needed to do and the pieces around him. And as I mentioned, I think today is the anniversary where the Bulls beat the Cavaliers when poor craig Elo he went up, Mike went up, and craig Elo came down and Mike was still going up and then hit the jumper as the Bulls beat a very talented Cleveland team.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Marvin, that's such a great contest. Also, that just shows you the greatness of mine. Michael stayed there double punk Yeah, ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Craig Elo played good defense, he did. He just he was, you know against him that day where Mike just kept going and then double double pumped and then hit that foul line jumper.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marv, was he known as the Jordan stopper.
Speaker 2: He might have been might have been. I mean, Elo was a guy who was going to guard you that he was known as a defensive player. But like Gerald Wilkins, you didn't want that Jordan Stopper name. You know what could go wrong everything? Oh, you're the Jordan stop Like you imagine now knowing Michael's makeup, if he's going into a game and all of a sudden, Gerald Wilkins is there and he's known as the Jordan Stopper, like Mike's gonna go, how many do you want me to put up on you? How about I put up fifty on you? YEAHO zero points?
Speaker 5: That hurts.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Coming up, we'll talk to Brian Winnhorst. We'll get his thoughts on what the Lakers are doing. Also, Bill Hanslick is set to join us. Bill's a former NBA player. He's a Nuggets analyst pre and postgame and spent ten years as a player. He's also a coach with the Nuggets as well. He'll join us coming up here in a moment and get his thoughts on Hol's morale in Denver after what happened last night as the series now shifts to Minneapolis. Alrighty, Paul, you got odds on the Nuggets coming back?
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you wanted to bet on the Nuggets to win the series this morning, according to DraftKings plus four hundred. You bet one hundred, you win four hundred. Okay, that's a saucy bet, because if you believe in the Nuggets, you shouldn't stop believing they could win two on the road. Okay, I would That's a likable bet.
Speaker 5: Okay, I wouldn't bet them straight up. Okay, saucy bets Okay.
Speaker 2: Calves and the Celtics once again. The Celtics are favored by double digits. They are favored by twelve tonight against the Cabs. The MAVs are getting three and a half against the thunder. The aforementioned Bill Hanslick joining us on short Noticeabilly, thank you for joining us. Altitude Sports TV anchor and reporter. How's morale in Denver today?
Speaker 7: Morale? Probably, it's a good thing.
Speaker 8: There's a there's a lot of time between game two and and three. They don't play it on Friday night, So the nuggetcy that mentally more than well they needed physically too, but uh yeah, there they took a whoop up last night.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering though, and and maybe it's not fair to the Nuggets. It felt like Minnesota cracked the coat a little bit on what to do with Joker. You know, nas Red guarding him. You don't have Rudy Gobert last night, or or maybe we reading too much into one game here.
Speaker 7: Uh no, I mean they they've done a good job on them.
Speaker 8: They really you have to start way back in the in the backcorn. I think that their whole system against the Nuggets is to shorten the shot clock, so they pick up full court.
Speaker 7: They do.
Speaker 8: Murray's the primary coming up, although Joker will dribble, dribble it up once in a while and they'll mix. They'll put McDaniels on them, they'll put Alexander Walker. They've even had Anthony Edwards a full court pressure turn them three or four times, make the first past difficult. So the shot clock is down when it gets the Joker. They're doubling him most of the time, fairly clickly first dribble. A lot of time, you say, on the pass on the paint, you know what's going to happen there, but their length has made it really really difficult for Nuggets to get any.
Speaker 7: Kind of easy looks.
Speaker 5: Is it fixable?
Speaker 7: Yes, I think a get you got to get the ball up quicker. I think b.
Speaker 8: The Nuggets are getting out of their system a little bit and that they're trying to do too much one on one. You've got to drive and kick, drive and kicked till you get a good look.
Speaker 7: So yes, I think they can be better.
Speaker 8: I think if you look on the bright side, what's good for the Nuggets, Well, they've played two really good single halves of defensive basketball, so they can do that.
Speaker 7: But you need a full game of that.
Speaker 8: And yeah, Minnesota's got one hundred and six both games. That's not, you know, world beating. So if your defense is a little better and you can straighten out some things in offense, he got a chance in these games that they've really Minnesota's man handled them.
Speaker 5: Anthony Edwards game reminds you of who.
Speaker 8: Wow, kind of unique Kobe Bryant maybe, and that he plays both ends of the court.
Speaker 7: He can get his.
Speaker 8: Shot when he wants to get his shot, willing passer, but his physicality along with that athleticism is just tough to defend.
Speaker 2: I like that you didn't go all the way to the end of the line and say reminds me of Michael Jordan. Now you didn't go too far towards I mean, you're almost at the end of the line when you say Kobe, and he reminds me a little bit more. Reggie Miller and I discussed this of Dwayne Wade with a better jump shot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's that'd be a pretty good analogy.
Speaker 8: I mean, yeah, Lee, he you think about him, Dan, you go twenty two years old.
Speaker 7: I'm a big believer usually the.
Speaker 8: First three four five years, depending on your age and the league, you will get better and then you kind of plateau and you keep it, you know, for another five years, and then you can begin to decline. Well, this guy still got upside and he is. Yeah, he'll be in the MVP consideration next year for sure.
Speaker 5: Who does Joker remind you of nobody?
Speaker 8: He's at a unique He's his combination of skill and I can't think anybody and I guarded big guy, guarded Kareem Elijahuan, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing.
Speaker 7: A lot of guys like that.
Speaker 8: But but his ability to see the court or see plays before you know. I'll take that back one slight little bit, discuss size a little different. Three point Larry Bird. Larry could see plays before they happened. And that's what I called Dan Nikole Jogic.
Speaker 2: Okay, you you played there for ten years in the eighties. The best player that you played against or guarded or tried to guard was who Michael Jordan?
Speaker 7: Without a doubt the debate to me, the debate that.
Speaker 8: This guy or Lebron or somebody else is Michael Jordan.
Speaker 7: Uh, just just incredible.
Speaker 2: Do you have any good memories? Are they mostly bad memories? When you're guarding Jordan?
Speaker 7: I'd just switch.
Speaker 2: Hell somebody else. But you were guarding centers and what are you six seven six eight?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, what are you doing guarding Ewing and Kareem and Elijah on.
Speaker 7: Well that's a little bit of the crazy coach I had, Doug Ball. You know, Doug.
Speaker 8: Doesn't give enough credit for being the original I called the original small Ball. I mean, Doug had a philosophy, if you can't match up with your centers on their centers, if you just do something different, make them so we ran like beat the bandits so you know, you all go through the zoom, get down the other end and try to score real quick and get a good shot and then just hope they missed on the other end.
Speaker 2: Bird would always get upset if a white guy guarded him. He would even say to a teammate of the guy guarding him, I can't believe you guys have a white guy guarding me.
Speaker 5: Did he talk trash to you?
Speaker 8: Well, there's a famous podcast by Oh God, I'm bray Locking Byron Scott, I think, and he made mentioned to me in that, but he got my name wrong. First off, take it off. I don't remember that ever happening against Larry Bird. But then again, Larry was one of the guys I liked the guard because, you know, I averaged maybe eight points a game.
Speaker 7: I was the defensive, but when I guarded Berg, I could.
Speaker 8: Run the other way and I get twelve, fifteen, eighteen points.
Speaker 7: I felt like I had a good.
Speaker 5: Game because he wasn't guarding you the way you were trying to guard him.
Speaker 8: Well yeah, yeah, well yeah, a yes, and be Larry wasn't the fastest guy in the world, so we just.
Speaker 7: Ran the heck out of it.
Speaker 2: Give me the guy that might surprise us. That was great, greater than what we may.
Speaker 7: Remember oh over the years.
Speaker 5: Wow that you played against.
Speaker 7: Oh boy Dan, that's a great question, god Lee. I mean most of the guys that garnered were just great in a sense. I mean Barney injury. David Robinson was such.
Speaker 8: A unique player because his skill level, his speed, his quickness, ability to shoot block shots, he played the whole game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, David Robinson.
Speaker 8: You know they won with Duncan, they won titles.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I'm marveled at his ability.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you, I know, tough to get up after a game like that, literally and figuratively to talk about what happened there is the series shifts to Minneapolis. But good to catch up with you, Billy, thank you for joining.
Speaker 7: Great day. Happy to be on with you, Eddietown. Great show.
Speaker 2: That's Beeny Altitude Sports and he's been an analyst there for quite some time and former player and coach with the Nuggets. Yeah, Doug Mo had small ball. Now Don Nelson had small ball, and that's when you had run TMC. But Doug Mo Hansick sixty seven and he was guarding the best centers in the history of the game. It's just wild though, when you have these coaches who think out of the box. And Doug Mo certainly did, Paul West had did when he was in college, and.
Speaker 5: Don Nelson certainly did as well. This, Hey, we're going to try something different.
Speaker 2: I always love that that you're going to try something unique, because now I'm going to force you to try to, you know, stop us with what we do so well. And uh, Doug Mo was he had some wild outfits too. He loved plaid for some reason. Back then coaches had plaid plaid slacks. You know. Then Ryles, when Ryles came in and Ryle started dressing like you know, he was slick. I mean that was Wall Street and you know that was the inspiration for Gordon Gecko. But that's when it changed, you know, because Red Arbach would be on the sideline and have a cigar, and you know, he dressed like, you know, he was this maybe a school teacher. But then all of a sudden, Ryle's started it, and then everybody was looking good. Then all of a sudden, I think it was it was Don Nelson who wore like a mock turtle neck shirt or a sweater, felt like he kind of casualed it down a little bit. And remember with the NFL coaches, they wore suit and times, Hank Stram wearing his suit and tie. Tom Landry had his hat on like they were all Vince Lombardi and then all of a sudden, did somebody And then you look at Bill Belichick. You like that guy, you know just went to the good will bin and grabbed a sweatshirt there where's Lombardi would be out there that white shirt, tie, sport coat, have a hat on. It was different. Then all of a sudden, it was like what happened to these guys? How they dress or don't care?
Speaker 6: Paually, I'm glad he mentioned David Robinson's greatness. I think history is not going to be great to David Robinson's career because of the back injury. But before you know, his first eight years in the league, he had seasons where averaged thirty points a game. He had stevens where he averaged thirteen rebounds, He led the league of blocks, I mean, not to me, he led the league in points one season. He was top three for MVP six out of eight years.
Speaker 2: Well, Tim Duncan took away his shine, right, But like I think that's why.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but David Robinson's at he.
Speaker 2: Didn't win until Tim came in, and Tim got most of the credit, right.
Speaker 6: I think David Robinson as best was a better player than Tim Duncan at his peak when he was averaging like thirty thirteen and four wall.
Speaker 2: He was a more acrobatic, dynamic, athletic player. Tim was just methodical. You knew exact where you're gonna get with him. Now, numbers may vary, but you know there'd be a couple of turnaround bank shots. He was gonna block a few more shots than you think. He would get rebound and he would be clutch. I mean that was just how he played.
Speaker 3: Yes, Mark and David Robinson might be the most cut NBA player who has ever lived.
Speaker 4: Those arms were ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be that tall, to be seven to one. And I remember going to the Naval Academy and when he was there and I did a story on him, and when he walked across campus, it was out of a movie because he's got his dress blues on. I mean, he looked spectacular. All of a sudden, you see all these like six foot cadets and then you got a seven footer walking over and and what a gentleman, true gentleman, never had negative words to say. There are there's times when I wish he was a little more aggressive like that he was taking it to people. He was just a nice person who happened to be a great basketball player.
Speaker 5: All right, we'll get some phone calls.
Speaker 2: Brian Windhorse, Wendy Jonas coming up here, Cavs Celtic's game one tonight, Mavericks at the Thunder. We take a break. More hoops Brian Windhors Next, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsportsradio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, I'm Doug Gottlieb. The podcast is called All Ball. We usually talk all basketball all the time, but it's more about the stories about what made these people love their sport and all the interesting interactions along the way. We talked to coaches, we talked to players, We tell you stories. You download it, you listen to it.
Speaker 4: I think you like it.
Speaker 9: Listen to All Ball with Doug Gottlieb on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: He's a busy man today taking time out for US. Brian Winhorse of the Mothership, senior NBA writer, He was in the Garden last night. How would you compare that atmosphere? People talk about the Garden the yester year of the atmosphere. How would you rank what you heard last night with other venues here in the last few years that you've covered.
Speaker 10: The Garden fans are very well educated. They have a appreciation for the nuance of the game. You know, it's like, I'll get criticized for this, but it's like saying, who's got the best burger or who's got the best steak. You can get a great steak all across the world. You know a bad steak when you see it. You know a good steak when you see it. There's a lot of venues that you go to where it's a tremendous atmosphere. In those venues where the Garden crowd is different. Is there a more educated crowd. They applaud things that are a little that are higher level. The basketball fans there sort of all have graduate degrees, if you will, And you know, but they love Jalen Brunson so much They've been waiting for a player like this for so long, and I think it's really cool that they bring back it. So at every time out Dan in the playoffs, they do two things. At the Garden. They show a celebrity and there's you know, dozens to choose from. So first they'll show a celebrity, you know, Ben Stiller, Tracy Morgan, I don't remember who was all there last night. And then they'll show in the playoffs a Nick Great, you know, Wolf Frasier, John Starks, Larry Johnson. And that's an awesome thing. It's like, you know, the met Galla was going on here in New York last night, but the place to be was the Garden, and so the celebrity, the Nick's greats. It was a great atmosphere. But I don't want to fall into the trap of saying, oh my god, you can't get you can't get a great burger outside me, you can't get good pizza outside Manhattan or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I remember being in there the first time when Bernard King was playing against the Celtics, and that environment was wonderful because there was you know, truly hated rival there. But I'm just curious because everything was better back when we were younger, and so I always want to be fair and go okay, you know, the garden is alive. I just remember it felt different back then.
Speaker 10: It's a lot nicer now since they renovated at about ten years ago. When I first went there my first NBA season twenty one years ago, you know, hear about the world's most famous arena, it was kind of a dump. I mean, it's way nicer now, way way nicer now. Look, I always like going there. It's a great appa fear. There's a buzz outside of it. And look right now in the city, the Rangers are playing every other night. The Knicks are playing every other night. Tonight we got the Rangers are going to go too. Oh. It's a great time to be in the city because I used to live here, and when I lived here, it was like the bottom of New York sports. Even the Yankees were not even getting it done. When I was here, there was a bunch of Yankees in the building. Last night, No Mets were honored.
Speaker 5: How'd the refs do last night?
Speaker 10: I'm one of these guys who I feel like defends referees. I think one of the few in the media. My father was a referee. I tried to be a referee when I was a kid, and I hated it because of how hard it was and how you could never win. And so I'm inclined to defend them. And I'm one of these people that says ninety nine percent of the time the game is not decided by officiating. I really it drives me crazy when these teams blame like long term officiating. I've honestly never really felt the same way about Darryl Moury since he released that dossier that he had when he was in Houston and said thirteen months ago, in the third quarter, we got screwed and therefore we should win tonight's game. As an educated man that Darryl is, it drives me crazy that he leans on that clutch, that crutch. Having said all of that, this was a situation where the referees changed the outcome of the game. And to me, what seems to me is that everybody's really reacting to the moving screen call. Of course you shouldn't call it there. However, by the letter of the law, it was an accurate call, and I don't think when the two minute report comes out today, I don't think they're going to say it was an incorrect call. To me that the much much more impactful call was the kicked ball. And the reason is because the Pacers had generated a turnover, and if you watch the replay, it was going to be it is a tie game with forty seconds left, Okay, there's gonna be a three on one break. The Knicks were either going to foul where it could have been a take foul and they could have gotten a three point play, or they were gonna go a layup and they were gonna be down to they were gonna be calling time out and the guard was gonna be dead. Instead, the steal is called the kicked ball. It's not reviewable. The Knicks come out hit a three pointer, puts them up by three with thirty seconds left. Now we have a five point five point swing in a tie game and a tie playoff game in the last forty seconds. That's the call. And I know they at a bad angle and I know it's not reviewable. That's the call that Zach Zaraba, who happens to be one of the top three officials in the league in my opinion, has to come out and say to the reporters after the game. We got it wrong. They didn't get the moving screen call wrong. The spirit of the call was wrong. That call was called theoretically correctly. The kickball is pill to swallow if you're a pacer fan.
Speaker 2: But I'm trying to I don't want to slow down games anymore than they've already been slowed down. But I want to get the call right if we have the technology to get it right. And I don't know if there's a push in the offseason, usually it takes something really dramatic where we go, now, we got to change that. I don't know if this is that because the Knicks didn't lose the game, but you got a solution.
Speaker 5: Nope.
Speaker 10: You know. I'm I'm a bit of an English football fan, and over there they have this thing called VR, which is their instant replay. And you want to start a fight in a pub, you bring up VR. It's an extraordinarily controversial tactic and they work. It works super fast over there. Sometimes they'll let the soccer game play on and then they'll go back two three minutes and say, yeah, we reviewed that, we're gonna give a guy penalty kick. It's not common, but that happens. They have have a much much better system, and it's still coaches pull their hair out over it, and so it's I don't think there is a way to fix it. I know that this year has been as bad as ever because I have seen more calls overturned or upheld where I don't understand, and they have taken so much time and I don't have an answer. What I do know is this, This is the best we have in basketball. The NBA referees are the best we have. You can say that, I don't mean you didn't, but somebody can say that they stink. Somebody can say that they're awful. Somebody can say that this or that. Watch international basketball, watch college basketball. Can they be better? Should they be better? Yes? This is the best we got, So you're gonna have to live with it.
Speaker 2: Is Brian Windhorst or the Mothership ESPN senior NBA writer at the Garden last night. Meanwhile in Denver, Denver gets blown out. But I'm curious. Now we have to wait until Friday for Game three, plenty of time for the home office to review what Jamal Murray did. How do you think they're going to view that with him throwing something on the floor.
Speaker 10: I'd never say anything like it. First off, he is one hundred percent inexcusably out of line there, has completely lost his composure because he's getting exploited by the Timberwolves. The Timberwolves watched the last series, saw that his calf injury was bothering him, at which Michael Malone has admitted, and they are exploiting him. He is getting taken advantage of on the court. He hates it, and it's leading him to make some wild decisions. He throws a towel, and of course a towel, it's not a big deal. But she can't throw a towel at the official. That's what he's doing. He throws a towel at the official. It comes up short. When he realizes that it's hard to throw a towel twenty feet, he picks up something heavier and flings it at the official. Now the NBA is going to interview him and he may give some answer. He's throwing that at the officials. So before we even talk about what the consequences are of throwing something wet and bulky like that out on a court, know that he was throwing an object a heavy object at an official that's number one, then number two. It makes it onto the court and is a terrible hazard. I know that people probably don't understand what this heating pad is. I know this because I've never seen one of these, maybe outside of my grandmother's you know, bedroom in nineteen eighty four. The NBA is technology driven, as it is, uses like nineteen fifties technology for these heating pads. They have these canisters on the bench that use steam heat to heat these these sort of padded, you know, maybe inch thick little pads, and then when the players come off the court, they'd use towels to wrap it around their backs and their legs to stay warm. Why they don't use any something more modern, I don't know, but they're but they're big, wet and heavy, and that could have gotten under somebody's foot and cause an ankle injury or knee injury, growing injury. Absolutely inexcusable and completely out of line for him to do it. The crazy thing is now, I don't I don't blame the refs stand for not calling it. They got their backs turned. It's coming from the end of the bench. They don't know where that came from. For all they know, it was a it was an accident. You know, it's a it's a it's accoutrement from the bench. You know, stuff happens. But after the game they were interviewed and Mark Davis, the lead official who's was the target of that of those objects, said, if we had seen it, it would have been a technical. And the reporter follows up, a technical, not an ejection. He says, no, a technical, and so that makes me wonder, like if that's the rule. Frankly, I haven't seen anything that ever thrown on the court by a player. I've seen many many players throw things off the court, and that's an automatic ejection. Whether you throw a piece of gum, or you throw the basketball, or you throw your assistant coach. Anything in the stands is automatic ejection from the from the stands onto the court. As a player. I don't think there's clear precedent, but the league is going to have a serious thing to deal with here, if more than anything else, to protect its referees.
Speaker 2: I brought this up with Dave mcmahaman where I said, you know, Lebron does that podcast with JJ Reddick JJ, maybe interviewing with Charlotte I don't know if he already has. And I said, well, could you see where Lebron JJ maybe he's the head coach of the Lakers, And Dave goes, yes, I think he's one of the candidates.
Speaker 5: Like, how serious is this?
Speaker 2: I I kind of brought it up as just oh, okay, maybe would would they discuss being the head coach of the Lakers?
Speaker 10: Well, a couple of things. First off, the Lakers have very few good candidates for the job. Not that JJ would be a bad candidate, but they have very few good candidates. There's not that many coaches available right now who are experienced and proven and ready to come to Los Angeles. You can say a name Mike, Mike Buttenholzer. But before you assume that a guy like Mike Bututenholzer is going to go to the Lakers, you need to understand that the Lakers don't pay They paid Phil Jackson an eight figure salary. They did it kicking and screaming, and he was engaged to one of the owners at the time and had won by the time they paid it to him, had won numerous championships. I'm not sure what year they gave it to him. They have been outbid for a couple of years ago, tylu and Monty Williams turned him down because they didn't offer it. I mean, I can't say for exactly why, but they're low ball contract offer were part of it. And so if you just assume that there's going to be a coach who wants to go in there, like a Mike Buttenholzer, the going right for an the league coach now is eight figures a year, and the Lakers, I'm not sure they're willing to pay that. That's number one. Maybe they are, but that's number one. Number two. This is the toughest one of the toughest situations to coach the league. You have aging stars, which is one toughest thing to coach in sports. You have a roster that should get better. They have some draft assets, but you really don't know how much you can get better. Man, look at the Western Conference. Dan. I was talking the other day to a coaching candidate who's going to be a candidate for some of these jobs, and he was saying to me, is like, I'm kind of waiting for an East coach Eastern Conference job because these Western Conference jobs. I mean, look at the Lakers, which which of the teams in front of them, do you think are coming backwards? And which look at behind them? They got the rockets breathing down their neck, the spurs are going to be coming up. Like it's going to be a really hard job. What I would say to JJ is, here's gonna think, I want to say real quick. Lebron doesn't get involved in coaching hires for years, for many many coaches. He's always taken a distance, in fact, and I can't taste for every candidate, but he generally has a rule, generally okay, that he won't engage with the candidate after the coach has been hired. Of course he'll have a conversation with the coach. Generally he wants to stay out of it. He doesn't want it on his hands. I know there's this belief that Lebron hires and fires all these coaches, and maybe he does like hurt coaches because he sort of kills him with a thousand paper cuts. But Lebron is very sensitive to that and he does not want to be involved in that. So it's not going to be like he's going to go into Rob Lincoln say hey, I'm having a great time with JJ. You should hire him. That's just not reality. But what I would say to JJ if he asked my opinion, which he won't, is that Lebron's friendships in the NBA, for the most part, tend to fall out as quick as they start. There is a long line of former teammates that he was buddy buddies with that when it's over, are gone. The true close people in his life have been close people in his life for fifteen or twenty years. So just because anybody, and I'm not just saying JJ, just because Jim Smith is having a great time hanging out with Lebron in May doesn't mean it would be a great time by December. That's what I would say, just in general about all relationships with him in the NBA.
Speaker 5: I know you're busy. Thanks for joining us as always.
Speaker 10: Thanks you Dan, Thank you Dandy.
Speaker 2: That's Brian Windhors, ESPN Senior NBA writer. He always gives you something that you haven't heard. That's what I'd love about having him on, and he he's got you know, it's it's you got to have the connect the dots, and you know, all of a sudden you're thinking, all right, don't buy into that just because he's friends with JJ Reddick and he's right, Hey, Lebron loves you, and then all of a sudden, Lebron doesn't love you, and then all of a sudden you're on another team.
Speaker 3: Yes, Mark, When I was at the Mothership, I heard from an insider they were like, oh, you know who's Lebron loyal to?
Speaker 4: He was like, Acron, Okay, that's all he said.
Speaker 3: He's like, if you know, if you knew him before he was Lebron James, you're good. He's like other than that, huh, maybe maybe not.
Speaker 5: We'll take a break.
Speaker 2: We'll get some phone calls here the start of Shoho Tani. I don't know if many of us thought he would start out like this, considering the other things that he's gone through, including off season surgery and the interpreter back.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP. It sounded like a suit John.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy a Spectrum Sportsnet. I've said this before. There are certain players. When the ball hits the bat, it sounds different and shoheo Tani is one of those players as a long home run Again, he's got four home runs in the last three games, and he leads the majors with eleven. So this is the eighth time in his career he's homered in three consecutive games. You look at his first thirty six games played, and if I compare this with thirty six games in previous season, starting in twenty eighteen twenty twenty one, he had ten home runs. Then he had eight in twenty twenty two, eight and twenty twenty three. Here he is with eleven. Batting average wise, he's hitting three seventy. I mean, it's so far away from his previous like two ninety three to two ninety seven. And supposedly, you know, a bad elbow, surgically repaired elbow slugging a oh my goodness. On base percentage is eleven hundred. He's got one hundred and three total bases. We weren't even sure if he was going to play this year or how limited he would be. We knew he couldn't pitch. But once again, when you hear the ball go off his bat, he doesn't get many of those. It just barely trickled over the wall, he hits them, he gets them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul, with how good he's doing and the fact that, you know, if you look back at the releases, he did not have Tommy John surgery. He had a new elbow procedure, which, yeah, this is great sign that you could still play like this. Is there any chance that they would consider not having him move back to a pitching role and just be the best hitter in baseball long term?
Speaker 2: Well, you're paying for the pitching part of this as well. I don't know what the contract stipulates. I don't know if he has to make a certain number of starts or they basically just said, all right, here's the salary. We're giving you seven hundred million dollars. I would like to have the pitching part of this as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's funny though, because the didn't they signed the contract when the pitching part was out of the equation, Like, wasn't he already hurt and then he signed this monster deal.
Speaker 5: Yes, they knew he was not pitching this year. They did know that.
Speaker 2: But I would think for that kind of money, i'd like to get a couple of starts on the mound, but I'd like to continue that two way player.
Speaker 6: I guess I'm just being cautious here. You know, like, if you're the Dodgers, you could afford with your staff and your depth to let him just be the best hitter in baseball or one of the best. And you know, the pitching. If you put him in the rotation he pitches twenty starts next year. Now you're risking the hitting again if he has another elbow issue.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it's just hitting worth that kind of contract there. Like his numbers, are they going to be crazy numbers? Are they going to be just really good numbers? Now with the Dodgers, it's about winning, it's not you know, Mookie Betts has better odds to win the MVP right now. You might be surprised at that, a lot better odds than Otani. This according to DraftKings. So it's muki Otani, Ronald Acunya Junior, and Elie Dela Cruz of the Reds. That's it for MVP in the national lane.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marph, what more does Otani need to do in order to be like a first ballot Hall of Famer?
Speaker 4: Does he need maybe another three or four great years?
Speaker 5: Well, you gotta win.
Speaker 2: I mean that always helps, but you know, depending on how many MVPs he gets, I mean, not considered the best player on his own team. Mooki is, at least according to MVP odds. So is he going to be a Hall of Famer? Yeah, I guess, But I would think for that amount of money, I should be able to get more out of him.
Speaker 5: You were expecting more. I don't think it's.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's see how this goes hitting wise, maybe we don't have you pitch the following year. I would be surprised at that. But these are I mean, Mike Troup's got ten home runs I believe, and then he got hurt, but nine were solo home runs, so he was hitting home runs and usually has a higher batting average than sho Hey Otani. But yeah, I would say winning chance, you know, performing on a big stage that goes a long way. Because we've we've waited to see Otani in these situations, just like we've waited for Mike Troup. Let me see get a couple of phone calls in here. Uh Joe and Orlando, Hey Joe, thanks for holding What.
Speaker 5: Do you have for me?
Speaker 11: Good moarning fellows. I just got a quick question pretty dam watching Jalen Brentford's game from this series and the last. He just gets to the paint and he still scores. And I just have a question. Has there been a six to two or smaller guards that's an inside out playing with vices the guys that are more outside inside. I haven't seen somebody dominate the inside game at his height since maybe I was sent.
Speaker 2: Uh, Derrick Rose wasn't a great shooter. Uh, he got in the paint. He was great in the paint. Uh, d Wade, but d Wade's a little bit taller. He got into the paint. Steve Nash could get in the paint. I mean he could go inside out Steph Curry to a certain degree, but you know his he makes his living out on the edge.
Speaker 5: Isaiah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know with Brunson, you don't look at him and go he does this really well. You know, it's not like where you go, Oh my god, you got to take that away from him. I was just surprised. I would have double teamed him as much as possible. Now I knew the Vincenzo was hitting his shots in the second half, but I got to do something to disrupt if he gets into a rhythm.
Speaker 5: It's like pictures.
Speaker 2: How many times do you see a pitcher At least this used to be when they went past five innings. They got stronger as the game went on. The players that get into their rhythm, they become better, They become stronger as the game goes on. Look at Brunson in the fourth quarter. He's averaging seventeen points a game in the postseason. In the fourth quarter, you're letting him get to his spots, and then he takes advantage of that. He makes his free throws. He's not afraid of contact, and he's He's a better version of Chris Paul from the standpoint of scoring. Chris Paul wasn't athletically gifted, but he always seemed to find his spots there. Jalen Bruns is a better offensive minded Chris Paul in my opinion, and he plays the angles. He understands, you know, what he can and can't do. It doesn't seem like he gets out of who he is now. Josh Hart. Josh Hart gets outside of his comfort zone occasionally where you're going, Josh, slow down, you got one speed.
Speaker 5: Tim Legler will join us, coming up.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, yes, good shot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sometimes you do that with Josh Hart.
Speaker 2: Josh no no oh good, all right, good shot, good shot. Final hour on the way. Tim Legler from the Mothership will stop by