Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory spelling an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, only the finest here at misspelling. So I invited my partner Pasha on to do my podcast. But it's our first day on the lot. So we're in camera blocking today, so it's like makeshift and I tried to set up the best I could, but I only brought one mic, So sorry.
Speaker 3: Buddy, Sure good, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Ah, what's happening today?
Speaker 4: Well, today is camera blocking, which means we're blocking cameras. No, it's the first day that we are on set. We are actually going to be dancing our routine that we're prepared for the very first time on the actual dance floor. And yeah, with cameras pointing at us, so we'll know how we look on camera today.
Speaker 2: Oh you finally get to see what I look like when I'm facing away from it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, are you excited? I'm going to give you the Mike.
Speaker 2: I let him lead. You can tell Mike excited. Well, so this is crazy. On camera blocking day, we get three passes, so it's not like as an actor. It's camera blocking like let's say you're doing like a multi cam like a comedy show and you're gonna tape in front of a live audience, like camera blocking day. The day before would be just all technical, so we would just come in camera block and you can do it as many times as possible. But here at Dancing with the Stars camera blocking, each couple gets three passes to do it, and then that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do it three times.
Speaker 4: Our director, you know, he tries different angles and then by the third time they know, you know, which angles they want to use. The next day during the left show, we do have a couple more passes. Tomorrow morning, on the actual show day, then we have a full dress rehearsal. I mean by that time, the camera angles already decided. But it's the first time when we get to actually try to dance in our costumes. You're dancing in your dress, I'm dancing in my suit, you know, full out with hair, makeup, you know, the whole shill. Even even the pretend judges. We even have, you know, somebody sitting in the spot and giving us fake critiques. You know, that's like a dress rehearsal to pretend it's a real live show.
Speaker 3: We do that.
Speaker 4: We do a full thing beginning to end. How it would be live, you know, just so we kind of understand the flow the whole show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the entire show.
Speaker 4: So we're basically tomorrow we do two shows, the show stimulation and then an actual will show, you know, live one.
Speaker 2: So if we do like a multi cam studio audience, we do the same thing. We do one show like early in the day. It's just like for everyone address rehearsal. But the difference is sometimes if that show is better, they'll actually air that one then the live one. But here there's no chance.
Speaker 4: No, no, I mean, first to imagine if they pan to the to the judges and Derek, Carrie, Anne and Bruno not there. Yeah, yeah, it's we're definitely airing the live, live show. And sometimes the thing is it's interesting to see sometimes the dress rehearsal goes really well and then something happens during the live show, you know, like you can I'm not saying anything, but I mean it happened before, right, you know, people trip on a dress or slip or something happens, or get nervous. The routine all goes the other way around. Sometimes sometimes the sometimes ress rehearsal goes really bad and then the live show is just absolutely perfect. So let's go with that one. Yes, well, no, I would. I would want to have a good dress run and a great live show.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll go with that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's the one I'm choosing you.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. So right now we're doing the podcast and in a few minutes we're going to go in and do our walk out correct.
Speaker 4: Correct. So what we're doing first thing today is we're going to rehearse the pros, are rehearsing the opening number that we're going to be dancing tomorrow, and then we do the walkdowns with our celebrities, you know, our first appearance as a couple to the world during the live show. You know how we going to walk down those legendary dancing with the star stairs.
Speaker 2: And I told Pasha that I'm really freaked out. That's the part that's freaking me out the most is walking down the stairs.
Speaker 3: And do you want to tell everybody why that fixs you out?
Speaker 2: Because sometimes when I'm walking downstairs, my brain's like, oh, take one step, but then my foot takes two steps.
Speaker 4: Guys, you see what I'm dealing with you right? Sorry, take one step? Okay? One?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 2: How long have we known each other now a couple of.
Speaker 4: Couple of weeks two weeks.
Speaker 3: I mean what yeah? Two two three, three, two? No, no more than one for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now let's say two and a half weeks in of knowing me. Yeah, do you have any insight into how my brain works?
Speaker 4: Guys, it's very interesting. I have no idea. I have no idea. I was hoping I have no idea, But honestly, it would be very interesting, you know, to get inside your brain, you know, for a day, just so I understand how it works, so that then I can, you know, be a better teacher. Because it was very interesting how you said on the very first meet you said, I don't like numbers, and we count all the dancing. You said, I don't I'm not great with directions to like left or right. I was like, oh my god. But honestly, somehow you still, you know, learn the entire routine, and you know, found your own way. You know, what you're really good at. I think is tell me one thing. No, no, I'll tell you exactly what it is. It's when I kind of like paint a picture for you. I give you like an associative, you know, like idea you Like you said, you're very visual, right, Like you visualize it, you see it, and then you like try slate into movement, you know, like sometimes we do an R movement and I will say, like eagles swings right, and you write away picture it and you do it and you commit to it. Yeah, And I think, like, I mean, you're you're an actor, you're an artist. I think you have a very artistic way of seeing things and doing things, you know, not maybe like an engineer or like a mathematician. You know. I think like it's very painty, very melodic, very artistic, very very very interesting. Yeah, thank you, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really weird. Like I don't like numbers and I am terrible at math, but I can remember like weird numbers, like.
Speaker 4: Like people's birthdays and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know your birthday May twenty eight, Torres Gemini, Yep. No, Like I don't know if someone's like there, I don't know some random number like there were what we were talking at. This is a bad example. Wait, but we were talking yesterday about that documentary and it was like, oh, there were fifty one bodies or whatever, Like I'll remember that number.
Speaker 4: What about some murder documentary fifty one bodies?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah, I'll remember that. But and I'll remember like dates, and I'll remember Yeah, I have a really really good memory. It's just when you tell me direction and stuff in the moment, I can't do it.
Speaker 4: You know when they say, like guys they can't remember like any bversaries. But then they'll remember how many goals their favorite football teams last season and all like yeah, so that's me. No, No, I'm just saying, you know, I think it's it's like it's like a selective, selective thing. You know, when you kind of like things that like interest you, you you remember, you know, like you're interested in maybe in that documentary that you watched, to remember all the numbers from.
Speaker 2: That maybe like oh pretty much like I don't know, like a year from now, we could go back and remember like conversations and I'll remember like jokes you made or like things like random like very specific things. I'll remember exactly what you said like during the entire conversation. Now, do you think I'm even weirder?
Speaker 4: No? No, No, I think it's it's also I think like teaching over the years, you know, because I mean, I've been teaching since I was fifteen years old, right, Like that's how I was like making money when I lived in New York. So I've taught everybody from little kids to senior years, people who were trying to do dancing professionally to people who were doing it as a hobby, waiting couples. And it's just interesting because everybody learns a different way, you know. And I feel like for me, that was the most excited thing is to find, you know, what would work, what kind of explanation would work for that person. And you just find, you know, a variety of so many different characters and so many different people that learn, you know, and remember things in such a different way. So, I mean, I think it's interesting because like we're all different, you know, we all see things differently, well remember things differently. Me personally, I have like a photographic memory, you know, So for you what is it? Is there like words for the type that you have, Like I.
Speaker 2: Thought it was photographic, but I guess it's oh maybe it is two.
Speaker 4: I don't know, is it. I don't know when you remember those things, like do you remember like as a picture or do you remember it as a like when you're say in the details, like what I said, so you remember the the words the joke, or like.
Speaker 2: I'll just remember, but yeah, I could play it back in my head like watching a.
Speaker 4: Movie like a recording.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, like every day we're rehearsal.
Speaker 4: But but but but but but your video goes like with audio, right, like with the joke being said. Yeah, you see. For me, it's more like I think it's without the audio. I think it's like still images, you know what I mean. I remember like like still images. I mean, yeah, they may be moving, you know, but I don't think it's like a movie with like with audio.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Interesting, But I can't remember the dance moves. That way sucks for you.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, whatever whatever works for you. You know what, listen, you learned the first dance, right, so you did it somehow whatever, whatever, I don't, you use, whichever technique you use, doesn't matter. If nobody knows how you learned, As long.
Speaker 2: As you do, I don't know, it's all credit to you. It's so interesting because they videotape us every rehearsal, like everything is on camera. But then when you see the see it on TV it's like what thirty seconds, like nothings like the behind the scenes.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, behind the scenes in the package, which is before the dance. It's just a tiny little thing.
Speaker 2: You know, but they record everything hours every day. That part is really interesting.
Speaker 4: To me because, look, it is a reality TV and every step that would take is being recorded because you never know, you know, like what's gonna happen at which moment. You know, like you can't predict when you're gonna say something, or when I don't know when somebody's gonna trip, or when somebody's gonna break down from you know, the pressure of it all or opposite, you know, like have a breakthrough moment of when couldn't get the step and now yes, I finally got it an excitement. It's like, I feel like, if you don't record non stop, you'll never get those special moments. You know.
Speaker 2: It's true, but that could be another show within the show.
Speaker 4: That should be a hope, that should be I mean, yeah, I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Want to follow that part because it's so.
Speaker 4: We just need to then have them air it not for two hours, but like sixteen hours from yere, sixteen hour from here.
Speaker 2: No, but they could just put on one of their other be on Disney Plus or on Hulu. Should we tell them? Imagine when I'm what do you think? What do I say when I mess up the most?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What's the number one thing I say?
Speaker 4: It's I don't know if I'm allowed to say it on camera?
Speaker 2: We could say anything in here? Yeah, what do I say the most?
Speaker 4: I think? Actually? You know what you do? You make sounds? That's what actually don't Actually, And now that I'm really playing it back in my head and I'm watching the movie with the audio, You're actually not saying. You just go like hmm or like like different sounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I get Yeah, I do make sounds like that. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Is that gross? No? And then you usually when you get something right and you're very excited, you laugh.
Speaker 2: I do, yeah, like my happy dance, like my happy laugh?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting? Wow? Am I the only girl to ever do that? To huff and puff and blow the house downe?
Speaker 4: No? No, I think honestly that could be another show is to have, you know, not to have like the entire audio of what's happening while we're dancing, right, because as pros, right, we sometimes we count. Sometimes we have some kind of keywords. Right as we dance. In the middle of the dance, we're saying things like I don't know, straighten your leg, or we call some moves like I don't know, this is butterfly whatever, you know, we come up with the names, or right now, this is the lock step, or we count like one, two, three, whatever it is. Right. So imagine if we had like instead of the track plane, just that, you know, like the entire time, just like what is actually happening, what we're saying, and how you're laughing about it at the same time. Oh my gosh, that could be a cool remix.
Speaker 2: But you always say that you're saying things to me, But I say, I never hear you.
Speaker 4: I think you do. I think you do because I do it. Yeah, I think I think somewhere like subconscious because I think you're so busy thinking yourself. Yes, but then somewhere there in the back of your head, like I think you hear me.
Speaker 2: That's so weird because I always ask, I'm like, are you going to say things? You're like I do the whole time, and I don't hear a word.
Speaker 4: I think. Same thing with when we're dancing, like depends on the camera. Sometimes there's literally somebody on the floor with us, you know, like with camera on the dance floor with us, right like as we're dancing, if it's a steady for example. And the funny thing is we're so absorbed in the dance in the moment that you don't even notice, you know, and then you like look back, of course you see a good camera angle, and then whoever stad in the audience they see that, you know, the cameramen ran out onto the floor, you know, and was maybe even running around us with the camera. But like from my perspective, interestingly enough, like when I'm dancing, like I I don't even like, you know, like I don't even feel them there.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting because you're so absorbed in you know, in your body and what's happening that you know, you kind of like lose I feel like you lose the judges, you lose the audience. You know, you're just so busy with with dancing. You know, there's just so many things we need to do, and you know in those in that time, I'm getting nervous. I mean, it's normal, guys. We had a whole conversation yesterday to like mentally prepare ourselves about being nervous, right, And I told Torri, I said, this is something she's doing outside of her comfort zone right beyond, and this is something that's my comfort zone because I've been doing this since I was ten years old and I competed, my competed my entire life, and you know, did for many years the live TV show and tours, you know, performing live in front of the audience, And to this day, every single time I need to go and perform, I get nervous. And I don't know, I feel like it's and I don't think I'm the only one. I feel like everybody does, you know, I think like it's it's enormous. So we have this whole conversation yesterday that yes, I'm in my comfort zone and I still get nervous. So props to all the celebs. You know, like, you know, you guys are coming from all walks of life. You know, somebody's coming from acting, somebody's coming from sports, somebody's coming from reality TV or you know something else, and you're putting yourself out there, you know. So it's I think it's like such a you know, it's like if I had to do right now, something out of my comfort zone. I had to learn it in a week and perform in front of like millions of people. I freak out.
Speaker 2: Probably oh wait, okay, for me will.
Speaker 4: Be out on my comfort zone for sure singing because I cannot sing. If my life depends on I just can't sing for sure? Are you telling deaf? Honestly, I don't even know. First of all, again, I've never really tried. I've never really tried to learning in the car. I just don't shower. I don't sing in the shower. I do sing in the car, but I kind of sing a lot on just mouthing the words, you know, the lyrics, and they like to like, you know, for me, it's more about like how the words hit the beat, I guess, like as a dancer. For me, it's like mos staying in the pocket, you know, and feeling the the rhythm of the song like that. Can you rapin? Really? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I would think you could.
Speaker 4: I mean again, I've never a freestyle yet about it now. Yeah, So I imagine if I had just I just did you get nervous?
Speaker 2: That feeling you just got.
Speaker 4: I just thought that if I had to Somebody said you have to go and compete in like freestyle rap battle.
Speaker 2: Like right now, live audience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would be like, I have no idea what to even start, burned down in flames, for sure, but I would do some cool dance moves as I'm doing it. For sure, I wouldn't say any thing, but I'd be like, let's do a dance battle instead.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I keep it really hopeful today and I'm really nervous now until nauseous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I don't blame you. I get it. I get it, I get it, but it's exciting at the same time. We also, yesterday you want to tell, we did Show and Tell. So Show and Tell is you know, we're at the studio. We have several rooms in the studio, and of course because we have several rooms, we have several couples practicing at the same time in each room. Right, So sometimes you know, be close to the show day, you know, we see who is around and we invite everybody into the same room so we can all show each other, you know, what we've prepared for this week's dance. Right, So, yesterday Reggie and Emma win in the studio and Gladden Brooks were at the studio at the same time, practicing with us, so we all decided to do a little show and tell, you know, show each other with dances again, just spend some time together, you know. And so everybody's in the same boat, right, everybody's nervous first performance, and Torri when I said let's do it, she was like she was a bit what is the right word, like hesitant, like a little nervous, right, But then she did it and I said no, and then then she like you should have seen her face, like there was euphoria.
Speaker 1: When after after Yeah, but you know, you enjoyed it, you know, you know, you enjoyed the process, like the camaraderie, the friendship, the excitement, you know, and the nerves, I think, the whole thing together.
Speaker 2: Play Rock paper scissors to see who went first, second, and third.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I posted the story yes steady asking everybody that's that's the right answer right there.
Speaker 2: And I reposted it and everyone's like, what are they doing? Yeah? And I lost both times, so I went third. We went third, which was good though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you saw everybody dance before you went on and then you went. I mean, honestly, I guess it depends on a person, right, I guess.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just feel like and we've all been getting to know each other because we're rehearsing every day and everyone is so supportive. That was great too, Like after we were all done just being able, everyone was hugging each other and congratulating. It was just great. Like I like that part, Like there's no competitiveness even though it's a competition.
Speaker 4: You know what I think, I think because it is a competition, right, but within the competition, everybody's really just trying to survive and do their personal best, because again, you're not all competing in one thing that you all are comfortable in, right. Everybody comes and I feel like everybody understands each other, like, hey, I'm in the same boat with you, Like this is not comfortable for me, right, yes, So I feel like it creates this camaraderie. And you know, when you hear people say like, oh, this feels like one big family, it truly is. And this was only a small little thing that you experienced with three couples in the studio, But just imagine what it's going to be like. What it's going to be like, you know, on a live show when everybody's there, right, like, when everybody's there supporting each other and you know, the whole group. So when they say like, oh, like we become like one big family over the season. So yes, as I was saying too, like before we go and do our actual camera block right now, yesterday was for me to see from the outside, you know, like how how excited you wear after the show? And Tell? Now, I'm even more excited for you to do the actual life show because it's that but a hundred times more exciting, you know, like now you see everybody. Now everybody's in costumes and there are lights and camera and audience and guys, this is exactly what she was doing yesterday before the show, and Tell exactly the same. But then she came out and she was euphoric.
Speaker 2: So freaking out. Yeah no, because this is like it's so much pressure and my like, I know, I know, but for me, like my biggest thing is I don't want to let you down me duh.
Speaker 4: You well, first of all.
Speaker 2: We're in this together, right, like where are we now?
Speaker 4: First of all, already you already did so much and I'm already so proud of you. Five kids shows up every day rehearses totally like ten to fifteen minutes, like yeah, they all know, yeah, but you know what I mean, you show up. You you're committed. You know, no matter whether you were like sore tired, you know, you just show up when you do your things. So it's already too late. You already didn't let me down. You already showed up and you did your personal best. That's all I can ask for.
Speaker 2: So my best friend Jess, thank you. My best friend Jess says she wants to at some point in life pick your brain because she doesn't know how you get me to focus. And I was and she was like, wait, what do you mean. I was like, She's like, and you don't procrastinate, like take breaks and like tell stories. And I was like no, and she's like, well, I don't understand, Like in every other like this is you, how does he get you to focus? And I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know either.
Speaker 4: I mean for me, you've been like you've been focused again. I think it's also the pressure of time, because you know that we have to perform live in several days.
Speaker 3: So I think the pressure is there, and maybe the.
Speaker 4: Pressure is what you know, what's that extra focus and extra education.
Speaker 2: No, I honestly, I honestly I think it's you. Yeah, Like I don't.
Speaker 3: Get I'm going to take the credit for think you.
Speaker 2: No, I'm serious, Like, I don't know personality wise, if I would have been suited for another dance pro what I even, I don't We'll never know. Mhm, like pro swap instead of wife swap. Pro swap they did that.
Speaker 4: There was there was like a sea where they did crush. There was like there was swapping partners in the middle of the season for a week or something. Yeah. I wasn't on at that time yet, so I don't know, like I haven't experienced it, but I know they did.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 4: So all right, sorry, we yeah, we need to go otherwise we're going to miss out blocking.
Speaker 2: Oh and by the way, in this podcast, we don't end it. You just end I mean on something funny.
Speaker 4: Typically, Well, I'm not a finding person. I'm very serious and dull.
Speaker 3: So please wait wait, So that's so? That is it?
Speaker 2: Like in a nutshell is basically I like hope and navigate people through humor. And when I came in, I test, you know, read the room. I always test to figure out somebody like what they their personality is and how far I can go with the humor, what type of humor? And I think I didn't feel like I could push my humor too far because we were rehearsing, like when we're not rehearsing. So I think that helped me, like get focused. Do you think I'm competitive?
Speaker 4: I think you're competitive. I think you are very competitive. I think so, yeah, crazy, Yeah, I think you're very.
Speaker 3: Competitive right now.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if it's with the outside world or with yourself, but the amount of dedication you were putting in to improve feels like you're a competitive person. So again, whether it's you know you're competing just with yourself to be better, or whether you feel like there's a competition from the outside that I don't know yet, but I do feel you're competitive. Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah competitive. Once I'm in something, I'm in it. Okay, Wait, so we're gonna go to stage right now? Do we get to find out what order we're in right now? Right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you know already?
Speaker 3: I don't, I really, I don't.
Speaker 4: I swear, you know, I swear I wouldn't swear if I didn't know I'm telling you, I don't know how.
Speaker 2: Come Alan new because oh he already did rehearsal. Okay, Okay, we're going right now. And I'm really scared because there's twelve couples. And I was like, I don't want to go first, and I don't want to go last. There's thirteen couples. That's bad luck.
Speaker 4: No it's not.
Speaker 2: We'll get rid of one after the first week. I'm just kidding. Okay, So I don't want to go first, I don't want to go last. Okay, let's go.
Speaker 4: Find out, all right.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I hope it's an even number. You know, I hate odd numbers.