Speaker 1: Welcome in What's Right with Nick Right Episode three sixty two. This episode is presented as always by our great friends at boost Mobile. We are hours away from the start of the NFL season, which means we are hours away from the end of at least in my mind. The Eagles reign as champions like once a new season starts, it's a clean slate, boys and girls. And I and I'm at the damn us Open last night that the watching osaka crush Cinner is I know, I said Sinners, not now Crais's class. Oh boy, center up close and personal look pretty good. And I'm walking out the good, good seats. And the only reason I can say that they were really good seats is I'm surrounded by people who ostensibly one would think have pretty good jobs, relatively successful. These are expensive quarterfinal seats to the open, some some dope, Nick Right, When are you gonna start giving the Eagles respect? You guys won the Super Bowl, Just shut up and be happy to I and and again like I'm I I am not naturally anti Eagles, but I'm becoming it. Like the the only person who the most reasonable person in the last eight months who's been angry at me about my Eagles opinions and actually treated it like me, like an adult, and had a conversation. Was the mother of the quarterback. Every other fan seems more emotionally invested than she did. Like, it's too much, guys, it's just too much, demons. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, Pops. Sorry, Philly fans have got you all.
Speaker 1: Right, man, it's just too much. Like leave me alone, like the I am out here providing free content for the masses, hours upon hours a day. I don't ask for anything, So let me watch the tennis and pe my god, all right, A lot to get to today Week one gambling show. If you guys didn't follow last year, you didn't, you cost yourself some money. After four consecutive years of being big included profitable, two years ago we had our first losing year ever. Now, to be fair, the losing year once you included the playoffs was one game below five hundred, but a losing year all the same because you have to be a bunch of games above five hundred offset the big. We came back last season forty eight and forty in the regular season fifty six and forty four overall, So a really great overall season, but we're gonna try to do even better, particularly because Danny park and somehow with a lot of line shopping. I think it's a little funny money involved on that.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: He was at sixty five percent, which was the best of any person on national television of all. Our lines, by the way, are provided by our new friends at hard Rock Bet, which is super exciting. More on them in a moment, But first, Demanse, let's get to straight to voicemail brought to you by Boost Mobile, so Taylor Swift might do a halftime show that the Clippers story. Great job by Pablo Torri. It seems to be a really big story. I'm just two into football right now, and I need to see what the NBA does before I spend a lot of time on it. I'm not minimizing the story. It's just bad timing. If it were July, I might do a whole episode on it. It's September fourth and football starts today. Apologies, it's not what I am super into. I am into this and put this on social media, folks, because again, I'm not in the business Demanse, of going out of my way to defend ESPN. I am in the business, however, of correcting obvious factual errors. And there are a few things about commercials coming to Red Zone that must be addressed in no particular order. First of all, they were there last year. It's not new. I don't know if you guys were paying attention last season. Scott Hansen near the end of the year stopped saying welcome to seven hours of commercial free football. At least on a couple Sundays, he just said, welcome to seven hours of football. And if you were watching Red Zone occasionally, all of a sudden it was split screen. The football was on one half, the screen of Burger King commercials on the other, with the audio from the commercial that already happened. That's first of all. Second of all, this is not ESPN's doing. They were already doing it. ESPN has not taken over the property yet. This is the NFL's doing. So everybody that either knows better and is just using it to bang on ESPN or doesn't know better. But they were scrolling a Twitter and mL Football or some faceless, nameless aggregator put it out there and they ran with it.
Speaker 2: You are.
Speaker 1: Doing a disservice to the public at large in spreading misinformation. Is it the biggest deal in the world.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Is it an annoying yes? Third of all. And this is the parts where people are gonna get mad at me, guys. The fact that for more than a decade we've been able to if we wanted to turn on football on Sundays and not have a single ad serve to us was always always kind of a cheat we didn't really deserve. Like the idea that we are entitled to be able to watch this product without any sponsorship coming into it. I never totally understood. And it's not like red Zone costs hundreds of dollars a year. It'd be one thing if it was like a super premium subscription that you pay five hundred dollars a year for red Zone, pay a lot of money for Sunday ticket, not for red Zone. And here's the last part and the most important part before we get to the show. And this is gonna be the controversial part. And this might hurt the feelings of some people in the working on this pod, might hurt the feelings of some people a lot of people listening to the show. Sorry, hard truths need to come. No self respecting NFL fan consumes the NFL purely through red Zone. Sorry had to be said. Sorry, you cannot get a real temperature of the league, or understanding of the games, or know who's good or who's bad if you have a one TV red zone only set up, like you just watch a game, be an adult. Understand the EBB and the flow, learn how teams to quote the great Hank Stram, matriculate the ball down the field, not just popcorning candy of touchdown and turnover and punt return. My god, now listen. If you're a very casual sports fan, you know it's just one of the things, no problem. But if you consider yourself a real NFL fan and your entirety of Sunday is one TV just on red zone, you're lying to yourself. I'm just telling you right now that that would be no different than if you're like, oh, I'm a die hard NBA fan, love it, bet on it, know all the teams, Oh yeah, how do you watch bleacher report clips? Highlights? Throw off everybody again, put some effort in to your fandom. And so this whole red zone thing has really got me. And I I'm not acting as if everyone's job is to cover the NFL. That's my job. Okay, my job. You guys don't have to do it. But if you have a team you love, you gotta watch their all their games, their games standalone, own screen. Now, if you're like, hey, I watch my team whatever the national game is, and I second screen red Zone, great, you're doing awesome. You're you're doing great. Yeah, that's that's that is appropriate. If you are really really in the weeds and you want to, you know, be split screening games on Sunday ticket, let I just tell you, guys, how I my setup, which I think yes, And again, I'm not asking everybody. I do this for a living. I'm not asking everyone do the setup that I have. What I am saying is, don't tell me you love the NFL, And then I find it no different. If you're like, oh, yeah, I just watch red Zone. Then if I text you on Sunday at two thirty Eastern, you know, week three, and I'm like, hey, did you see that? And you're like, no, I'm at an apple orchard, Like what do you do?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Like? No, so I'm gonna catch the night game. Like we only get eighteen of these a year. They're pretty precious. And again, everyone pick what they want to do. But don't tell me you love the league diehard. Oh, I bet the games. I'm in fantasy leagues. I'm in this. And the only announcer you've heard for twenty years is Scott Hansen. Don't tell me that. If you can't if you can't name that, tune this quickly on Joe Davis or Kevin Harlan, much less Tony Romo or Troy Aikman's voice, then then I'm questioning your fandom. The way I consume is we have upside down triangle of TVs. Okay, uh, two big screens in the one very big screen in my office, which is really a hallway like like it's a set up little bit. It's yeah, it's it's uh. The I love my house in New York City. One of the downsides of a Brownstone is their narrow properties, and so I have just I have carved out in our five thousand square feet demons. I've carved out one hundred and eighty for me and your Mom's got the rest and top left TV red zone, by the way, very often with sound, top right TV, biggest game, bottom TV, the biggest TV, split screen into four games of my choosing, and that way you can follow almost every game sound on red zone. Make sure the time the TVs are sync dump time wise and you got it. You don't even really have to watch red Zone. You listen, you look, you do this all. That's that's how we do it.
Speaker 2: TVs. Are you putting the Chiefs game on? When that comes? Is at the bottom line.
Speaker 1: The stand top right, the top left, red zone. Well, the thing is this, I don't It's not really a problem these days, Demansey, because the Chiefs only play one o'clock on Sunday, like twice a year the Chiefs. Usually when the Chiefs are playing, there's no other football games being played because they know the NFL knows what the main event is, so the Chiefs game. I walk about eight feet from the hallway that is my office to our living room and we have the TV that used to be you know what statute of limitations been long enough? Remember back when I did the show remotely, when I did the show, you know from my house, part of our background was this one hundred inch HD screen that we used as part of the first thing's first background. We stopped doing the shows remotely, and I just never gave that back. And now that's the TV that I watched the standalone games on. It's massive office and I mean living room by myself or with the family.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: God, dogget Football's here. I'm so excited. That was a little Also, that was the longest straight voicemail we've ever done, shut out boost Mobile, but again too long, didn't read. ESPN didn't do anything wrong. There were already commercials on Red Zone. They're not going to be cutting to a full commercial. It's going to be split screen. But most importantly, be an adult and watch a game. All right, let's get to it tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Say uh yeah, so starting tonight, the NFL is officially back. We'll get the game in a second. But what do you think there's gonna be some of the bigger headlines or storylines this year in the NFL?
Speaker 1: All right, So I'm gonna do this the way I do almost the way my brain works is weird, like I have to visualize either a map or a chart or a piece of paper to make sure I don't leave anything out. So like yesterday, for first things first, a little pre show trivia thing. Gianna asked me, can I name the twelve cities that have all four professional sports leagues? And I was one hundred percent confident I would be able to do that. But the only way that I was gonna be able to do that was to close my eyes and see a map and just start it in Maine and then work down and up and down and up. So I'm gonna do something similar here where I am just going to go through the divisions and talk about what I think the biggest storyline is AFC East. Biggest storyline, very clearly is can the Bill can tell Again, this is the regular season storylines, not the postseason storylines, because that's a separate thing, and we have all off season talk about postseason stuff. We're now in the regular season. AFCs storyline is very very clearly, do the Bills have any competition whatsoever? If they do, it would have to be from the New England Patriots, at least in my opinion. And I think the Jets injury yesterday of Elisha Vera Tucker was brutal for him, losing him for the year. By the way, sidebar, We're gonna have a very you guys can tell my energies up I'm very excited. Note for again football fans out there, I'm going to translate for you guys how to read the insider's injury reports these days. Okay, if they do not send a tweet at all, that player might have been slightly injured but probably will play, but it doesn't make the news. If they send a tweet that says such and such got banged up but is expected to be totally fine, that usually means he's going to miss a week or two. If they send a tweet that says avoided serious injury, consider him out a month. And if they send a tweet like they did about Elijah Vera Tucker yesterday, which is the team is concerned that poor guy might have been metavacked off the field for all we know, and he is almost assuredly out for the year. I don't know why, and the insiders all collectively, I do know why. It's because they get the information from agents and they don't want to make the agents mad, and so they just soft pedal everything. But like Naji Harris, the reporting was he's totally fine. You know, scary situation, but the fireworks don't worry about. But meanwhile they play Friday. We still haven't seen him without sunglasses on. Seems like that was too much fourth of July. The avoided serious injury usually means he was seriously injured, but he's not out for the year and the team is very concerned, means he's done for the season. So when I saw that with Elijah Arra Tucker, the initial reporting like, Oh, this poor guy who's dealt with so many injuries, he's probably out for the year. He is in fact out for the year. But the AFSE storyline is can anybody give the Bills any type of resistance? The answer is probably know the AFC North Demond's storyline to me is not about the Ravens. I think the Ravens at this point are the known quantity. We expect them to be excellent every regular season. What were you saying since he is yes.
Speaker 2: What's happening with them going to continue? Are they? Are the defense going to get better?
Speaker 1: Can Cincinnati become a contender? Again? Like? That's the fact of the matter is this. Cincinnati exploded onto the scene in year two with Joe Burrow shockingly upset the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game after being down huge at halftime. The very next year came back. We're back in the AFC Championship game, and then a game that gets a little forgotten the details of it. Joe Burrow had a really rough second half of that game, including a devastating fourth quarter interception, and they lose. They haven't played a playoff game since then. The next year got derailed by Joe's injuries, but they were four and four with him playing, and last year got derailed by the defense. You can't miss the playoffs three straight years and be a real contender, and so can they get back to being an eleven, maybe even twelve win team. That's the AFC North storyline, the AFC South storyline, as much as I'd like to make it about Travis and I don't know if you guys saw the Travis and Trevor commercial, but it's just delightful. It's so you haven't seen it, demanse watch it after the show with the sound on. Now. Some some people might call it cringe. I find it charming. But it's an Adidas commercial with like an eighty soundtrack and a lot of really weird dance moves between Travis and Trevor Lawrence. But the storyline there is not about Travis as much as I'd love it to be. It's about the Texans new offensive coordinator and can c J. Stroud?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Can c J Stroud get back to year one CJ Stroud? Now I'm not I'm not drawing a direct line here, Demanse, but I do think it is worth noting that CJ. Stroud, up until the moment he put his arm around Caleb Williams, was like, listen up, young buck, let me let me teach you a thing or two. I think had twenty four touchdowns, five picks, a one oh one career rating, and was like twelve and six as a starter. Since then he has seventeen touchdowns, twelve picks and eighty five rating and his seven and seven as a starter. I'm not saying those things are connected. I am saying I'm interested in the timeline of it. New offensive coordinator. Can he get back to being the CJ. Stroud he looked like as a rookie? Now, they did win a playoff game, so you back to back years won a playoff gameing and credit for that and the AFC West. The storyline's very very obvious, which is can anyone once Every year, the AFC West has a great offseason. Every year the Chargers or the Broncos or the Raiders make a move that made the Chiefs nervous. Every year there is a well, next year will be different until the games start and then come Thanksgiving we're talking about the Chiefs magic number to clinch the division by three or four games. Will this year be different? Will the Chiefs actually have to you know, win a late season game to win the division or will they be able to rest people? So the AFC is covered. Nfcast storyline is twofold. It's very obvious. Can Philly you know, continue on the stretch. It was on after Week four last year where the only game they lost was a game Jalen Hurts got knocked out of and a first cousin of that is Ken Washington. Proved that last year wasn't a you know, win all the close games get a little lucky year. But they actually are building a real contender. That's the NFC East. The NFC North demon's a most interesting yeah, man, I mean you could. The Vikings are the least interesting. They're starting a first round pick to facto rookie quarterback. They won fourteen games last year, the Packers just traded for Micah freaking Parsons the Bears Caleb's under as much pressure as any player in the league. And then the Lions amazing regular season last year fell on their face in the playoffs, lost both coordinators. Is that going to have a long tail? Like? Those are the stories there. Luckily, the NFC North covers all the interesting for the NFC South, which there's it's just bake show and is it possible the two worst teams in the league are both in the same division, which is rare in the Saints and the Panthers. It could happen, It's rare. And then the NFC West de Monsey is was last year a blip for the Niners or it was last year the canary in the coal mine that they sadly missed their window and they're gonna have to reboot it a bit. Shanahan's comments about you know this being a bit of a reboot and fans being patient leaned you one way, brought Purdy's comments that we're good enough to win the Super Bowl lean you another. But those are league wide the biggest storylines headed into the season. Anything you want to add, anything you take issue with.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm pretty in line with you and all that stuff. I do. The Falcons might make it a little bit closer in the NFC south over there. But uh but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So here's the thing. I think the Falcons could be a playoff team, but I think the Bucks might win thirteen games. So it's the now maybe I'm over you know. I obviously am super high on the Bucks. I am in the super Bowl, but I don't I think the Falcons could be better than they're getting credit for and still not really compete for the division. All right, we'll get to Week one in just a second. But first, as I mentioned earlier, we are so excited to announce our new presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet. Everybody knows and loves the hard Rock hotels and casinos, and now you can use the top rated hard Rock Bets sportsbook to place your bets all NFL season and beyond. Hard Rock Bet is the only legal sportsbook in the entire state of Florida. It is also available in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, and Colorado, with more states launching all the time. You can also play on hard Rock Bets online casino. If you are in New Jersey throughout the football season, we will be using, as you'll see here in a few minutes, hard rock bet lines to make our predictions for the biggest games as we gear up for the NFL season. Sign up for a hard rock bet. Make a five dollars bet. You get one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets if you win. Head over to hard Rock Bets. Sign up and make your first deposit to day payable and bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida. In Florida, offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital, LLC and all other states, must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eight eight eight Admit it. In Indiana. If you are someone you know as a gambling problem wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem Call one eight hundred Gambler in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee or Virginia. All right, Demons game one week one, let's get to it.
Speaker 2: So Philadelphia is hosting Dallas tonight at five twenty or wherever wherever you guys are.
Speaker 1: Yes, eight twenty. Amnse you always go with Eastern time zone. Listen. I'm a Central time zone guy. I know you're on the West coast, but nobody, you can't lead with the West coast time You just can't. It's only yeah. I mean, the only time zone no one ever has once in their life led with is Mountain time zone. But you really can't lead with West Coast.
Speaker 2: A right food for thought. So they'll be hanging the banner tonight. And that apparently was news to Nick Sirianni. Do you think that Philly has gone too far with the whole we're forgetting about the Super Bowl eyes? I had on the prize stick spiel. Yeah, very performative over there in Philly.
Speaker 1: Performative is the exact right ward. I here's the thing. I don't mind weird take. I don't mind being lied to. I I understand that at times, God this is uh, my mother would be ashamed of me. I understand that at times, lies or the lubrication that makes society keep turning. I get it, Like there are times where it is just objectively lying is the right thing to do. I get that. My only request is that your lie be at least a tiny bit believable. And Nick Sirianni looking at the assembled Philadelphia media and saying, yeah, oh it's banner nite. I didn't know that. Yeah, we won't be out there. Not only is not believable, it also if you were, you know, in a police interrogating room the moment you finished the sentence, they'd be like, oh, you know you messed up there, right, If you didn't know what was going on, how do you know you won't be out there for all?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: They drop it mid first drive, Jalen hurts, drop it back to pass ban or bang like the I mean, so just just so performative and silly. And now here is the more interesting take DeMont in my opinion, because Jalen to is the leader of this team, and Jalen set the template by saying, yeah, I'm not wearing I'll never wear the ring. You know, I'm putting it, you know in wherever he said he's putting it and moving on and that's fine. By the way, I'm not criticizing Jalen Hurts for that. Here is my question. So Jalen said that, and then it felt to me like Sirianni was like, all right, you're not wearing the ring. I didn't even know we want that was the Super Bowl. I was wondering why it was six months before our last game. I thought it was week twenty two. The confetti was weird at the time. I didn't know. So here's my question. Let's say Jalen had gone the other way, which, by the way, Jalen and he's earned this has such universal approval. If he had done the exact opposite of what he's doing, people would love it too. If every single press conference he had the ring on, if all he talked about was the ring, if he was like, yeah, we got a lot of new players on this team. I want them to know this is what you fight for. This is the whole goal. I'm gonna during the games, I'm gonna wear it on a chain around my neck like this is it is a daily reminder. He would like people would have been like, man, this guy, he gets it. But let's just say that was his approach if that were his approach. When Sirianni was asked about Banner Nite, would Sirianni have been like, I didn't know what was Banner Nite? Or would he have been like, damn straight, in fact, look show a tattoo. I know what the banner is gonna look like. It's tatted right here, and and all our players we're going to be out there locked arms saluting the banner like this is the whole point. You guys are focused on stats and numbers like. It does feel like Jalen set the tone and now Nick is trying to follow, which is fine. Like, again, that might be the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be weird if they were opposites on this thing, correct, it makes more sense for them.
Speaker 1: It did feel like Sirianni overdid it a bit with the I didn't know it was banner Nite. All right.
Speaker 2: It's if they're pretending that they that that didn't happen. Does the Chief super Bowl did that not happen?
Speaker 1: Well, well, listen, the Chiefs are not doing that. I mean the Chief Kelsey you know, doesn't want to talk about it. Chris Jones did talk about it something. Chris Jones is like listen like, I think it's a learning experience. I think be better for it. I do think it's important for teams to turn the page. I think it's silly to pretend like something didn't happen. That's all, all right, let's get to some other things on this game or on this topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you expecting from the game tonight? Domination?
Speaker 1: So probably probably Philly, you know, just beats them badly. Possibly Dak plays out of his mind and the Cowboys hang. The Cowboys' only path is scoring thirty one or more like, here's a here. This is not a bet I would be making. But if you're gonna bet the Cowboys on the money line, go ahead and include Cowboys alternate over twenty seven and a half points. There is no path for the Cowboys to win this game twenty to seventeen. That doesn't exist in my in my eyes, their only path is thirty one twenty eight. Dak plays great Eagles, young pass rush and young secondary, you know, has some miscommunications CD and pickings get loose, and all of a sudden you know that it is a game where Jalen has to drop back a bunch and I'm not saying he can't do that, but it's obviously not the script that they are used to play. So but I'm expecting if I had to guess seven seventeen Philly's that's how this one feels to me. But that's not gonna be one of my bets later. All right, last one on this.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's weird for us to not open the NFL with the Chiefs game?
Speaker 1: It is. It's the first time in three years, and the last two were really noteworthy for two different reasons. The Lions game was noteworthy personally because eight hours before it, I had guaranteed the Chiefs were gonna go undefeated and got a tattoo to, you know, really canonize that, and then they lost their first game. But for more importantly, it was a sign of the things to come that would ail the Chiefs that season, because if you remember that game, flipped a perfect pass to Kadarius Tony that popped up and was in the air and went the other way, and then at the very end of the game another perfect pass on fourth down that was just flat dropped, and it was like, oh, could the drops for a problem for Kansas City? And they were Last year was a classic for different reasons, because Lamar tried almost led that comeback and then the Isaiah Likely foot on the line game, and what that portended as far as things to come was idiots saying it's rigged for the Chiefs based on correctly called decisions, because if you remember, last year, Likely was out of bounds, and people somehow got their hair up about it about how that was unfair. It was unlucky, but it wasn't unfair. And then the next week the Chiefs have a fourth and six against Cincinnati converted, there is a hold called on Kansas City, they take it away. They have a fourth and sixteen, they get absolutely obliterated in a past interference. It's correctly called, and people find a way to go on TV the next day and be like that was the right call, but I hate it, okay, buddy. Yeah, And and there was also yeah. Week one has been noteworthy the last couple of years, and three years ago Week one, I wonder if I wonder if I could do this just real quick. Last year, Chiefs meet the Bills on the likely play. Year before, Chiefs lose to the Lions. Year before that, the Bills. I'm sorry, Chiefs Chiefs meet the Ravens. Yeah, sorry, misspoken. Year before Chiefs Lions, the Bills blow out the Rams. Year before that was Tampa Dallas. Tampa won, And the year before that was Chiefs Texans. Right after the twenty four to nothing comeback for the Chiefs, and the Chiefs will beat the Texans soundly. Those are the the matchups that I remember the best. Are the last matchups? All right, let's get to the Chiefs before we get to our picks.
Speaker 2: Chiefs are headed to Brazil to play the Chargers Friday. So the storyline headed into this season has been the return of the Laser Show with the Chiefs. How much of that do you think we'll see in Game one?
Speaker 1: I know they're gonna try and I know that it is been the focus of the offseason is pushing the ball down the field. But the Chargers know that too, and so this is I know, this is not what people want to hear, and it's probably not what people want to see, but this isn't a game that you fool around with. It's a Charger team that won double digit games, is well coached, has a good quarterback last year, the number one scoring defense in the league, it is a weird game because it's in Brazil and the following week you play Philadelphia, and that is so because of that. While I would love for the Chiefs to be able to do a style points type of game, it's not the type of game they're in. And because the Chiefs just in the last game they played got their teeth kicked in, more important than anything is a win. So I don't I do have confidence that at some point this year you are going to see what people call vintage Mahomes. Okay, I don't know that you're going to see it immediately to start the season, and I don't know how much Rashi Rice not being there is going to impact it. What I do know is starting out zero to one after losing the Super Bowl and then having Philadelphia in week two is not a scenario that I would relish. So if by the flow of the game this is a conservative game plan, I'm okay with it. Like they now. It should be noted the last time the Chiefs were in a spot like this where they lost their final game of the year in heartbreaking fashion and was the twenty twenty two season. They lost twenty twenty one to the Bengals and the playoffs. They then traded away Tyreek Hill. That year, they started off with an absolute light show. Mahomes threw for three sixty and five touchdowns in his first game without Tyreek Hill, and they annihilated the Cardinals. But the Cardinals are not the Chargers, And I'm trying to remember thee the year before that, after losing the Super Bowl to Tampa, they started off against Cleveland and they scored I'm looking it up right now, thirty three. But I don't oh, I was gonna say I anything. Mahomes had a huge game. He did, but that was also a very important game because they then lost their next two games. That was the year they started three and four before ripping off, you know, a hell of a run en route to getting to that AFC Championship game. So the point I'm making here is I don't think they have the luxury this year of worrying about style points before Rashid comes back. When Chargers in Brazil home for Philly at the Giants, and that pass rush home for Baltimore at Jacksonville home for Detroit, those are your six games without Rashi, So we'll see what it looks like. But if you're asking me, would I feel better about a thirty eight thirty five Chiefs loss where Mahomes is unbelievable but Herbert plays out of his mind, or if it's the exact games script of the win against Denver last year sixteen fourteen with a blocked field goal at the end, I'll take the sixteen fourteen win. Given the context of where we're at with the season right now.
Speaker 2: Are you always all right about the turf out there in Brazil, like there was a lot of problems with green Bay and Philly last year.
Speaker 1: I hope not. I try. I try not to concern that would if I were betting a total in this game, that would be a bigger concern. But I just in twenty the year the Chiefs that I'm talking about, twenty twenty two, when they started the year off against Arizona. Arizona had some weird field something I don't quite remember, but I remember Bucker got hurt on it and hurt his knee, and so I that Am I nervous about it? Yeah? Do I want to focus on it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? All right, let's get to Rogers and the Jets. But first a follow up. I gotta tell you this might actually be the the best case scenario. Robert, I'm gonna say B. I don't know that I'm gonna can say his last name. Robert B, who Tuesday DMed the show or messaged the show in the chat and asked me if I was interested in going to Augusta has followed up and this is what he writes. Yes, the Augusta offer is real, but it's to come watch the pro's practice round Tuesday before the Masters, not to play around. Offer still stands if interested DM my account. I gotta tell you that is ideal to be able to go to Augusta watch and not have the pressure of having to actually Demansey. I was trying to. I was doing measurements in our garage to see if I could have a golf simulator installed in there so I could crank it like I I. I was so on tilt about not being able to turn down Augusta but being the worst golfer to ever play Augusta. All right, that sounds honestly perfect. I think I absolutely want to do it. I will ask our producers to get you know, whatever his account is, I don't know how it works. Get his info. But yeah, go to Augusta just to watch walk around, eat some pimento and cheese sandwiches. Oh my sounds what a dream. All right, let's get to Aaron Rodgers quickly before we get to our picks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Aaron Rodgers debut will come against his former team in the Jets. What do you expect from Aaron Rodgers this game and this year?
Speaker 1: Mediocre and not much? And I just want to be on I don't want to spend a lot of time on it. I just want to be on the record about this. The amount of denial not as many as last year, but some folks in sports media have been about what to expect from forty one year old Aaron Rodgers this year when he's gonna be forty two is just baffling to me, Like truly baffling to me. This guy. We saw him last season, and we saw him blame teammates for his mistakes. We saw his inability to move. We saw him throw away the Vikings game, score nine points against the Broncos, throw Mike Williams under the bus. We saw all of it, and I do.
Speaker 2: Think everybody looks at it in a sense, it's Aaron Rodgers, and it must be the team. Like you throw him on another team that might work coup.
Speaker 1: And that would have been fine. A decade ago. He's forty one and he popped his achilles like. So my answer is, I do not think Rogers is going to be good. I do not think Rogers is going to this year be a top twenty quarterback in the league. Doesn't change. He's one of the greatest players ever. It's just I don't think he is going to get the Brett far final year, second to last year in Minnesota where he almost won MVP and took him to the conference championship game. I don't think that is in the cards here, all right, Before we get to our picks, my friends at boost Mobile ever sign up for a phone play and thinking wow, amazing price. Then a few months later, surprise, your bill's higher with boost Mobile. You paid twenty dollars a month forever. That's a limited talk, text and data starting at just twenty dollars a month, no price hikes, no contract forever. Plus. Boost Mobile is now a legit nationwide five G network. They've invested billions building five G towers across the country. Visit Boostmobile Dot com or head to your local Boost store today and get unlimited talk, text and data for twenty dollars a month forever. Five g speeds not available in all areas. After thirty gigs, customers may experience slower speeds. Customers will pay twenty five dollars a month as long as they remain active on the Boost Unlimited plan. All right, Demonse, it's time.
Speaker 2: It is time.
Speaker 1: Five picks Demonse's teaser. Maybe some exotics, some survivors. Oh, before we get to it, Survivor thing tricky spot for me. I don't think I'm gonna give out Survivor picks on the show this year because I have too much I'm in. So here's the deal on these Survivor contests. So I tweeted out the link to it. You can go Splash sports slash nick right to see all the different contests. The twenty five dollars one super fun. You can have as many entries as you want. In fact, let me and we haven't gotten there's not a ton of entries in that right now. Let me see what the latest number is on that. It was like three hundred and so, but that's you know, winnable. That should be fun. It's yeah, it's three forty is right now. So if you just want to have a fun survivor thing, if that were the only one I was doing, I would give out my picks on the show. But now we have a very tricky situation with the one that I'm taking on. Helm you thin, because it is guaranteed demands that the winner gets a minimum of one million dollars. Okay, it's five thousand dollars to enter. You can have up to six entries. So if there is a guarantee of a million, and it's five k a person, that means you would need to have two hundred entries exactly two hundred times five thousands of million bucks. Right right now, it's sitting on eighty one entries, which means there is four hundred and five thousand dollars of entries, and we call it four hundred thousand entries and six hundred thousand dollars of what we call in the gambling world. And overlay that the house at the moment, if it started right now, every entry all of a sudden instead of being worth five grand. Let me do this math real quick.
Speaker 2: What is hold on?
Speaker 1: What's a million divided by eighty. Uh that's what I thought. Every if it started right now, every injury would be worth twelve and a half thousand dollars. Does that make Do you understand what I'm saying that Like some think about like this, Yeah, there's less people and so you're already. So if it ends with one hundred injries at five k each, the prize pool should be half a million bucks. But the prize pool is a guaranteed million dollars. So if you again, five grand's a ton ton ton of money.
Speaker 2: You have to put more money. If you and people, what do you have to put it in?
Speaker 1: No? I don't no, no, no, well I mean no, the company does, like the they're they're the house. They're guaranteeing it. So what I'm making is this, if you and some bodies out there like want to pool resources or combine, at the moment, it's the best value survivor pool there is. Like now, if we if they get a ton of injries between now and Sunday, they obviously want to hit the guarantee. They want to get two hundred entries. It'll never be negative you know, minus EV, but right now it is hugely plus EV and so.
Speaker 2: People have knock out as well coetition.
Speaker 1: Here's another question. And so the reason that I'm not going to give out my Survivor picks is because we're playing for real money. Here's the question, though, demons. Because I have multiple entries in this thing. I've got, uh, I've got right now two, I'm going to have three. Okay, would you like to partner with me on one of them where we one of the entries is all me one of them. You don't have to put up a bunch of money.
Speaker 2: But just you would send you No, I didn't say half.
Speaker 1: That would be so funny. No, you don't have to send it to me if we don't win. No, uh, but you could be in for I don't know five percent of it. That'd be two hundred and fifty bucks. And we will we will collaborate on uh, we will collaborate on the picks. Yeah, and then we So the way we'll do Survivor is we'll talk after. Okay, So we'll we'll talk after. And to answer the producers, the twenty five dollars one doesn't have a guarantee, so there's no there's not gonna be any overlay there. It's however many entries we get, that's the prize. Bool the Helm Youth. Now is Helm Youth potentially on the hook for the overlay? Maybe that would be delightful. If Helm Youth has to write a big check for this, that actually would make me very happy. All Right, h recap last season how we did in Knicks picks.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the twenty twenty four regular season, you went forty eight forty and two and your overall record was fifty six, forty four and three.
Speaker 1: And that also we got in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: You also went undefeated in touchdown Genie. Now this wasn't every week, but we were undefeated.
Speaker 1: I was very picky with when I went with the Bruisers. Love a good touchdown, Genie. They love an octopus bet in the super Bowl. They love a touchdown Genie, they love all these things. I was very choosy on when I wanted to do it, and I didn't realize it, but I did go undefeated on it. All right, five picks every week? What's my first pick?
Speaker 2: First pick? We've got Kansas City minus three versus the Chargers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a neutral site and they're only laying three. It's not I think the Chiefs are the best team in football. I think the Chargers are around the you know, fourteenth best team in football. I do not think any team is more used to handling odd environments than Kansas City. Patrick is five and two against the spread and openers. I understand Herbert is a really good against the spread quarterback early in the season ten and five, but part of that is Patrick being five and two is even more impressive when you consider the fact that the Chiefs have become such a public team. Those lines are usually inflated. Chargers in the other direction. You know, they haven't had a ton of early season high high level expectations. I just think I do not see. I think that Trent McDuffie is going to be able to neutralize Lad McConkie. And with if that happens, how else are the Chargers Who are they throwing it to? Like? How are they moving the ball? And I don't I know hardball is gonna want to run the No Rashon Slater is a big deal. The Chiefs minus three against the Chargers is my first bet of the year and spoiler a bit. It is the only favorite I am taking in Week one.
Speaker 2: Next pick Demonse, next week, you got Miami plus one at Indian Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is a pretty simple one for me. You get the Dolphins indoors, controlled climate, obviously, fast track like that, you get too a healthy like that, You get Tyreek something to prove early in the year like that, and then you get a team in the Colts that I believe might end up being the worst team in football this year. It's certainly it's possible. I am getting a point now. Obviously getting one point doesn't help you a lot. It's you're really just picking a winner. Excuse me, I apologize, But if the Dolphins, the Dolphins have any chance of having a better season than I think the general public expects from them, they must start fast. Colts, Pats, Bill's tough, Jets, Panthers, Chargers, Browns like that. That's their opening slate, because late in the year you go Ravens, Bill's Commanders, Saints, Easy, Jets, Steelers, Bengals, Bucks, Pets like and a lot of cold weather games in there. This is a as close to a Week one must win for a team's playoff hopes as exist. I don't love, obviously, the Colts quarterback and Daniel Jones. I think Miami wins the game outright, and I think Miami's gonna be able to move the ball in the Colts defense. Take Miami plus one at.
Speaker 2: Indy, and next you've got Cleveland plus five or Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: I do I love this?
Speaker 2: I don't. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Does it feel good including the Cleveland Browns in my Week one picks? Of course not. However, what was lost, what's lost in the shuffle about the Browns in Week one is this, They'll be fine at quarterback this week. Now, once Flacco starts taking some hits, once the season starts progressing, you know how fine are they going to be? Probably not at all, but this will probably be the best quarterback situation they have all year. Cincinnati has Trey Hendrickson coming off missing most of training camp, Shamar Stewart rookie pass rusher missed a lot of the offseason, the first game for a new defensive coreator, and maybe most importantly, and this is a point I have been trying to make. I have real concerns about since he's offensive line and you got Miles Garrett, since he also so just desperately needs a win that I don't think this is at any point going to be a style points type of game. I think this is going to be a man if we're up three late, suck the air out of the stadium, get out of there with a win. So I think that, you know, twenty one to seventeen Cincinnati is a pretty likely outcome for this game. I'll take the five points. I'm it's a home divisional dog against a team that is awful every single year in Week one, and so Cleveland plus five against Cincinnati is the way I'm going. It's not calling Cleveland win. I just don't think Cincinnati is gonna dominate the game because they never dominate early in the season.
Speaker 2: Next to look there, to you, pops, we got Vegas at plus.
Speaker 1: Two and you don't like that one.
Speaker 2: It's it's yeah, because what if Cincinnati does what if they don't come out slow like they usually do.
Speaker 1: Well, then they all lose the bet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Division.
Speaker 1: Well, what I will also say is, here's the other thing we know about Flacco. Flacco loves chucking it deep and going for a back door cover Like that is that's the other piece, Like could this be Cincinnati up twenty seven seventeen with ninety seconds left and Flacco is, you know, throwing bombs and we end up stealing a back door cover for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, next next you've got a Vegas plus two and a half at New England.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is, you know, basically just going with my pre season feel that the Raiders are better than people think they are. Now. I also think New England could be good, but I think New England is going to have real trouble scoring points this year. I like the rookie running back, I like Drake May, I don't like the receivers at all. And where the Raiders are going to be in trouble is against teams with explosive offenses. The Patriots do not have that, so I think that this is one of the few matchups all year where the Raiders defense is not going to be exploited. I think Max Crosby could have a big impact on that Patriots offensive line. And if I know Vabel, he's going to game plan to just not let Max Crosby stripsack flip the game, which leads to conservative play calling and a lot of what he did at times in Tennessee, which is just keep it close and try to out execute them late. I think Gino is gonna come out firing. I obviously really like Ashton genty and I ain't the Raiders win this game. And I'm getting two and a half points. This feels to me like twenty one to twenty Raiders. So I'll take the Raiders plus two and a half. Also, Patriots won four games last year teams that won four if you were the previous year, and our Week one favorites are zero to five against the spread and the last five it's it's a rare thing that happens, and so I will go with the Raiders plus two and a half.
Speaker 2: Last, lastly, you've got Buffalo plus one versus Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, here's the thing. This is not anti Lamar at all. He's a great player and a great, great, great regular season player. No, it's it's simply this, if Buffalo at home, they shouldn't be underdogs, that's all, you know what I mean. Like, Buffalo is too good of a team to be a home dog, and I think that that is.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I also saw Baltimore last year when people thought, oh, they have an extra chip on their shoulder because that's the team that knocked him out of the playoffs, and the Chiefs and the Chiefs controlled that game, and so this, by the way, is a very similar situation. Last year it was Kansas City minus one and a half was its No, yes, it was Kansas City minus one and a half against Baltimore in Kansas City. And that was why that likely play was almost such an awful beat because I had KC minus one and a half. Case was upset they score it, they think they score that touchdown, and then they're gonna go for two, which would have killed the bet, you know, Like if they go for two and they make it, they win. If they go for two and they miss it, they lose. Either way, the Chiefs couldn't win by a point and a half. But I just don't think Buffalo should be home dogs. And this will be the only time where do they play the Chiefs, And by the way, they wouldn't be home dogs against they play the Chiefs in Buffalo, but they'll be favored in that game. Like this is also a little too much, a little too much respect for Baltimore. Like anytime this year, Buffalo is a home dog all bet them, which means right now is the only time, this is the only time all regular season they'll be a home dog. So my five picks, and a lot of this does have to do with preseason priors. But what else can you do in Week one? Kansas City minus one in Brazil against the Chargers Miami plus one, the Colts Cleveland getting five at home against Cincinnati, Las Vegas getting two and a half in New England, and Buffalo getting one at home against Baltimore. All right, Demanse's teasers last year, the record shows eleven and ten. That's not that impressive when you realize he started off I think Owen six, it becomes quite impressive. Started off poorly and then really got it together late. Demonse, tell us about your teaser.
Speaker 2: All right, So starting off this year, we are going with a three team eight point teaser at plus one hundred. We are teasing the Cowboys up to plus sixteen against Philly tonight. I hope I have never regretting this. I just wanted some action tonight. But we'll see. Cleveland we got at plus thirteen, and then Buffalo we're teasing out to plus nine. Honestly, just looks like I piggybacked off of all your picks.
Speaker 1: No, but you put this in before I put mine in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's what I say it looks. But uh, but yeah, those are those are my guys. I'm feeling strong with I'm feeling strongly about all that.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk it through before I give it the grade.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 1: Obviously, teasing a one point dog is smart. You know, you get through every single key number. So even though you love the Ravens, you're on the right side with the Buffalo one Cleveland. You get through a bunch of key numbers as well. So I'm I'm good with it. I am. Here's my only question, because you said you just wanted action tonight, are you telling me you think it's more likely the Cowboys upset the Eagles tonight than get just blown out?
Speaker 2: No, I just I just don't think it's I don't think Philly's gonna go there and blow them out. I think the game's will be a little bit, a little bit closer than people are thinking. I mean, I get that, you know, not Dallas lose by three or six or something like that, but it's plus sixteen buts.
Speaker 1: So no, but so here's but hold on. But I'm just saying you could do it the other direction. So I'm not telling you to do it. What I'm saying, basically, you are right if it's an eight point line and eight point t's your decision. If you want to include that game is very buying it. What do you think is more likely Dallas?
Speaker 2: I definitely don't think Dallas is gonna win. That makes sense.
Speaker 1: It makes sense or Philly win by seventeen, right, So what do you so? I'm not trying to talk it. I'm not trying to change you on it, but I'm just trying to I I like Dallas plus sixteen, that's the side I would go with as well. I just know how you feel about tonight's game, and it feels to me like, so I'm going to give this by the way, an as, I'm not changing You're not changing it, but the it feels to me like you would be more shocked by Dallas winning than Philly winning thirty one fourteen, which means right, which means in reality, you should have teased it the other direction, but you went with it. It's week one. You're teasing dogs, which I appreciate, and we're good with it. Touchdown Genie or exotics. We're not doing it week one because there's too much going on. We gotta see the league a bit before we do any silliness survey the landscape for sure?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Every year for new listeners, every week the producers come up with an offer for me, demons, What is the offer this week?
Speaker 2: Irrefusable? We got Trevor over one and a half touchdown passes and Trevor under a half interception and jackson punning line for plus two ten? How are you liking that?
Speaker 1: I do not like it. I have to turn it down.
Speaker 2: No pigs because of the no picks.
Speaker 1: I think Jacksonville's gonna win. I think Trevor's gonna have a good game. Can I in week one and when I'm only getting plus two ten? Uh? Can I guarantee that Trevor's not gonna throw ont J C? Horn? I cannot, So I'm gonna turn down the offer. Reminder like rate, subscribe, review on YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, all of that, Robert B. If you're still watching DM, what's right on social either ig or Twitter or whatever, so we can get your info and I can reach out. All right, let's answer some of these listener questions quick. Uh.
Speaker 2: Lamelico asked, could Jalen make your top four quarterback list? Over Burrow before the end of the season. If so, what would it take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if Jalen has a listen, Jalen threw for like twenty eight hundred yards and I think eighteen touchdowns last year. Like, I do need to see more passing production from him. But if he if he ups the passing production, He's still this dominant rushing threat. Philly's really good and the Bengals like, to me, the top three is locked. Burrow's spot is in pen but not Sharpie, and it's not in Stone. That's you know, like just to be fair on it, and it's you can't you know, Jalen has these unbelievable weapons Burrow as Higgins and Chase. I don't anticipate that happening, but yes, it's it's on the board, I would say, all right.
Speaker 2: Next, Ronnie asked would you bet the would you bet the Bears to make the playoffs? And Jack's to make the playoffs for plus six ninety, I'm taking the plunge.
Speaker 1: I love it. Do it, Ronnie, I'll live vicariously through you at seven to one. Love it, absolutely, love it all right.
Speaker 2: Next, Lady Evil says thank you for all your buck supports this year, and Nick it warms my heart. What do you think about Amika Egbuca offensive Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's a Listen. I think Amika Luka is gonna have a really big year, uh, especially with Godwin, you know, missing time in the beginning. Evan's getting older. I think Baker's gonna have a big year. He's not my pick, but I don't. I don't mind that one at all. I do not mind that one at all. And I loved the pick for them. He's plus sixteen. Yeah, so that's not that's not bad at all, all right, demons, great job football is here? Like rate subscribe, review to the show. Thank you to hard Rock Bet, thank you to Boost, thank you to Volume, thank you to Blue Duck. And I will talk to you guys on TV in a few hours. What's right,