Speaker 1: Hello, snaffligans. You know, comedy is hard, Like people think it's just riffing and making jokes, but sometimes it's like pulling teeth. I mean, some of us have literally pulled our teeth trying to be funny. But there are comedy professionals out there who are just consistently crushing it, and I have been lucky enough to rope in a bunch of them on this season of Snaffoo, whether it was Nick Kroll waxing poetic about his family puking tuna sandwiches on a deep sea fishing trip, or Ginny Slat telling us about how susceptible she is to getting roped into cults, or Jordan Klepper reflecting on Donald Trump's deep and desperate need for a hug. This episode, I have gathered up the comedians of Snaffo and I'm thrilled to share it with you. Listen, laugh, and enjoy. Do you have any major snaffoos from your life that you would like to share?
Speaker 2: So I was away with my whole family.
Speaker 3: We were in I think Puerto Rico on a family vacation around I think, you know, like Christmas vacation, and so my dad thought that a cool thing to do would be to organize a deep sea fishing trip for my mom's birthday. Because my dad knows nothing about what is my mom would enjoy. So they packed us like the hotel packed us a bunch of like tuna sandwiches, because you know, Puerto Rico is famous for its tuna fish sandwiches. My family ranged from about eight to fifteen, four of us my parents and you're the youngest, right, I'm the youngest. Yeah, you're eight. I'm eight or nine years old. And we get on the boat. We're going out to the deep sea and the waves are horrible, like we later found out that a tanker had capsized that day in the Atlantic, so the waves were massive. We were just getting hummeled and we all were sitting there and the entire family puked our tuna fish sandwiches out all over all over the place, except for my dad, who just sat in the captain's chair gripping like the chair turning. I'd never seen, you know, when people say, like he turned green, like I've never seen it really since before since, but my dad turned fully like like a chartruse, and all of us just absolutely ramped all over this boat.
Speaker 2: And it was like happy birthday, Mom.
Speaker 1: This is this is perfect And the best part is, like a tuna fish sandwich. Sandwich smells horrendous to begin with, fresh, like a fresh sandwich right out of the Deli's like it's kind of a gross thing already, and then to eat it and then to regurgitate it is a is just an unthinkable stench. It's not ideal. No, are you ready to jump in, Nick Kroll?
Speaker 2: I'm I'm strapped into the captain's chair.
Speaker 3: The waves are big, I've finished my tuna sandwich and I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do it, Let's do it. I hope, I hope this story is good enough to get you to toss that sandwich. So there's another kind of trip that I feel like you're an expert in that I I just am not, And I want to know more about Will you sell me on microdosing hallucinogens.
Speaker 4: I just feel like it's you know what, the best way to describe it is, we just took some LSD me and my friends when we went to these ice caves in Pemberton, and I would say the best way to describe it is it puts an exclamation point on whatever experience you're having.
Speaker 1: So if you're.
Speaker 4: Outside, especially if you're in some sort of cool nature environment. We were in a glacier in a cave underneath a glacier, so that was pretty cool, and it just kind of makes you really sit and appreciate whatever experience you're having.
Speaker 1: It adds a little giggle too to the situation, which is always welcome for me.
Speaker 4: I like to laugh and like to not be, you know, taking myself too seriously. But it's just an accentuation of life and it kind of makes.
Speaker 1: You have a little bit extra gratitude, which.
Speaker 4: Is one of the aspects that I don't think people talk about enough. It makes you really grateful to be exposed to the things that we're exposed to. Even if I go skiing for an afternoon with my girlfriends up here, you know, and if I take a microdose, it's like I spend more time looking at the trees, looking at the view, looking at all the beauty that's surrounding me, rather than just you know, kind of being in your head. You kind of it gives you a release. I feel like the whole world needs a microdose.
Speaker 1: I am very interested in this. Now, would you also advocate the occasional macro dose.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 1: I would.
Speaker 4: It really depends on your personality and how much you can handle. But those years of me and the macro dosing that was like years and years ago. Now I like just a little punch, like like I like a little an MDMA they do. Everything's a microdose now, so you don't have to be scared to do it, you know. And also I would like to say, you know, not everybody gets along so well with drugs I do. We have a good working relationship, so I know what my limits are. I've done lots and lots of testing, so I know exactly what's going to work for me and what isn't. And in Canada they have the cleanest drugs, so that's so yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm a big advocate of that.
Speaker 4: I think it helps a lot of people and helps people, you know, in more serious ways than it's helping me.
Speaker 1: And I love sharing my drugs too. I love giving them away.
Speaker 4: My whole tour is basically about me traveling around the world handing out LSD to strangers.
Speaker 1: That's so great. You're just you're like them. You're the pied piper of my books.
Speaker 4: I like to think of myself as a Shirpa. I expect it, you know, coming from me, but that's where I'm at in my life.
Speaker 1: I honestly, you're so transparent in everything that you think, feel and believe, and I I think in many ways you are like an aspirational figure for a lot of people because of just how just how much you just how in touch you are with yourself, which I think a lot of people are. But then you are also just an open book and like you don't hold back when it's when you've got something like difficult to say, and you also don't hold back when you have like these sort of joyful, fun expressions and it's it's awesome. So keep doing what you're doing. Thank you, Ed, I appreciate that. Thank you. So the coach itself was a loaner from Axel von Farson the younger who happened to be uh. This is debated, but many think he was actually Marie Antoinette's dashing Swedish lover. What is documented is he sent her tons of flowers over the years. We have an artistic rendering of Axle here. Let's take a gander at this this guy. Oh wow, look at those peepers. Yeah right, you mean what not sure? I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: What I think the person that painted his picture did a pretty weird job. It looks like he looks like you know when sometimes people wear those George Washington masks, like like they have George Washington, you have your own face on the bottom, and then you like put George Washington over your like you know where a raccoon mask would be.
Speaker 1: Those look like two different faces. Yeah, no, you're right. But what I do love about this he's so smug, Like he's so he's like so smarmy and like you can get like the sex appeal of someone like that. Oh my gosh, you could get lost in those eyebrows.
Speaker 5: That's a look of placid, perverted, deliberate entitlement.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually, there's one last little epilogue here. This is kind of fun, a little post credit scene if you will, because I know you're curious about the last big old danglin thread here. What happened to our Swedish boy toy axel Von person for sure? Yeah, okay, well he himself was killed by an angry mob when he was mistakenly accused of poisoning the Swedish prince in eighteen ten. Wow, but yeah, angry mobs were a real big deal at this point.
Speaker 5: They're really scary. I mean we had one recently in our nation. It's scary. Yeah, they're scary.
Speaker 1: They don't generally make good decisions.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: I read somewhere a quote I wish I could remember who to attributed to. Uh, the intelligence of a mob is that of the dumbest person in the mob. M so like the behavior, like an entire mob behaves as the dumbest person in the mob.
Speaker 2: Actually, I was just thinking about like it.
Speaker 5: For some reason Americans were able to be totally silent while someone rolled through town that they didn't like that, Like when I said, we'd never be able to do it.
Speaker 1: Like, I was fully imagining.
Speaker 5: Myself in the in the silent crowd, not being able to stop myself from.
Speaker 1: Being like who farted? Like just like that.
Speaker 5: It's so tempting to disturb, you know, the stillness. I think I would be the weakest there was, the dumbest person in the in the mob. I'm the person that changes us from a core cohort into like a freak out.
Speaker 1: Could you ever see yourself being swept up in a mob? I think it's emotionally yeah, because I feel it's one of those things that we all think like we're that were It's sort of like cults, right. Everyone says like I could never join a cult, like I would never fall for that in saying I'm too good you would.
Speaker 5: I don't think I would be in a mob because I don't consider myself to be like an impulsive person and I don't have like a sort of you know, like the switchblade of a temper that comes out.
Speaker 1: But I really love.
Speaker 5: Friendly groups.
Speaker 1: I love cooking.
Speaker 5: I love it when people are like trying to help each other actualize their dreams. And I like it when people like are dedicated to each other. And a lot of times cults are like non violent. I used to have a stand up bit about this actually about how like I would totally get drawn into the into a cult because like, I like all the things that they do, except I don't like having to be naked in a group of people, and I don't like having to do like oral sex to like a very very elderly person who has a long beard, which I feel like they make you do, like the head of the cult.
Speaker 1: That is that's in the cult cult by laws. There's usually some guy.
Speaker 5: Who's like, you know what, Actually, a lot of the more interesting members of the cult are doing ye.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh wait, why haven't you you've fallen into a cult? Then there are lots of them out there. There are lots of great options.
Speaker 5: Hey, I've got a strong family, really great friends that are like no, no, no, no, no, no no, don't don't go in there.
Speaker 1: Good answer. I also think that you are a inquisitive person, and you're someone who like you're you're not only very intelligent and sort of like educated, and you've taken it upon yourself to learn about the world and learn about people. And I think that is some of the best armor against these kinds of group think or indoctrination of some kind. The minute you start asking questions, even with genuine curiosity, not even like an accusatory like wait a minute, but you're just sort of like, now, hold on, why do you think I should I should blow that old man with a beard? Like what's the reason? Like why are we getting what we have to do?
Speaker 5: That though, like you know, like if we're all going to transcend and like you know, have clear minds, like why would we need to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what is a good place to start for me.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it's like I will ask myself for sometimes other people, like if.
Speaker 1: This were a movie, who would you be?
Speaker 5: And like what part of the story, Like would it seemed like a good story, If this were a parable, if this were like a religious text or a fairy tale, who would you be?
Speaker 1: Who would they be? Yeah, who would they be? You know, it's a great question, who would they be? I think you're onto something really quite elegant, which is that stories, movies parables the sort of broad whatever gestalt of human storytelling. It is rooted in fundamental values, right, like a sense of right and wrong. My kid loves The Lion King, and so I've gotten very deep into the sort of like Lion King universe, and that is a movie where good and bad is so clearly delineated, and bad is portrayed with Nazi symbolism totally.
Speaker 5: I meant when he sings, be prepared, that is, those those.
Speaker 1: ENAs are literally goose stepping. In nineteen eighty six, Bosky was invited to provide a commencement speech at the University of California at Berkeley has School of Business. And this is where that speech that was the inspiration for Gordon Gecko's infamous framing was derived. But it's not exactly the same as Gordon get Goos. What he said is greed is all right. By the way, I want you to know that I think greed is healthy. You can be greedy and still feel good about yourself. This sounds like a cult leader. It's weird, you know what. It has echoes of this this uh, this, all this stuff emerging from both the Christian nationalist movement and Elon Musk where it's like empathy is bad, right, yeah, yeah, this is saying the same thing in the sort of inverse. Greed is because self interest is good.
Speaker 7: It's very and randy in that way, like it's just it's very un Discard the seven deadly sins and move on.
Speaker 1: Greed is okay, it's fine, right, fine, right right. Yeah.
Speaker 7: The Bible literally tells you that this is a deadly sin. Yeah, it's one saying this. This is destructive to you personally and to all of people. But if you want to have an elevator in your house, you gotta have a little bit of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the I love the last sentence. You can be greedy and still feel good about yourself. That's awesome. Yeah, Okay, so all of this is going on, and all of a sudden record scratch, just months after riding high, it all unraveled. On November fourteenth, nineteen eighty six, Ivan Boski pleaded guilty to conspiring to file false trading records, which is a complicated way of saying insider trading. Okay, Basically, Time magazine put his grinning face on the cover and dubbed him Ivan the Terrible, which is a little derivative but still better than Ivan the Bum from the Father, Sure, and not as good as Ivan broke Ski. Right, that's right. One minute, this guy is Wall Street Royalty, the next he's a cautionary tale and the high roller era was over. He is headed to prison. Do you think that repeated success always turned people into egomaniacs or like just disasters? Is it possible to remain humble? I think it's.
Speaker 7: Possible to remain humble based on I think how much you've acquired as a person before you've reached that success. For instance, I think a lot of people in our industry who find fame or fortune later in their careers tend to be so much a little more chill and fully aware that life is fickled.
Speaker 1: And it can go away.
Speaker 7: And yesterday I was doing this job, and today I'm grateful I've got this one. But I think when you have it at a young age, and nothing against those people that get at a young age because they are missing that that sort of educational step. I think a lot of times they can come off as awful people, and maybe it's something happens and they turn a corner and they change. But you definitely see it in people who come from a certain background. I think it's just learning the value of things, for sure. But I think people can remain humble. I tell people all the time that like friends back home or people who ask me if I've worked with someone, they always want to know if someone's a jerk. I go, I gotta be honest, It's very seldom I run into someone who I really think is just kind of a piece of shit. I go, for the most part, everybody's just at their job, whether they're wildly famous or not, and they're just trying to do the job and then go home and hang out with their family. It's just kind of our universal situation.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what that means, Rory, what that means you? You're the piece of shit? Oh my god. Shit, if you can't actually see how much other people are a piece of shit, it means you're a giant piece of shit. Ah fuck. I just thought they were so fun. I looked up to all of them. Have you ever heard of Harding's Ohio Gang?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: All right? Should I have no?
Speaker 8: As a Michigan boy. As a Michigan boy, don't. We don't give much respect to anybody from Ohio. So perhaps it's not my own ignorance, it's just my own prejudice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. Yeah. So this was the nickname for some of Harding's appointees, basically because he'd hired or appointed so many of his buddies from his days in Ohio, and a lot of them were ruffling feathers and drumming up scandals from all angles, from influence pedaling to selling illegal permits for confiscated government alcohol. These dudes were just awful basically, So it kind of makes sense that Albert Fall and his oily mustache twirling fit right in. And yes, if you recall the photo earlier, Fall had a big old snot mop o handlebar.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, even if we're besmirching the guy, I don't think we want that image in our head.
Speaker 1: I mean it's funny, but it's gross.
Speaker 8: It's funny, but yeah, it's one of those things. It's like moist. You're like, Okay, that might be the right word, but I don't want to hear it.
Speaker 1: So President Harding said at the time, I have no trouble with my enemies. I can take care of my enemies, all right. But my damn friends, my goddamn friends, they're the ones who keep me walking the floor nights. Now. That's very godfathery, that is. I thought you really leaned into it too in the performance that it was nice.
Speaker 8: Yeah, my friends just when I think out, they pulled me back in who the Ohio Game?
Speaker 1: I thought I made that clear. I do wonder though, like someone you know, you look at these presidents, whether it's a Trump or a Barack Obama or somebody, You're like, how many good, like close friends are they able to maintain at that At that point, I would think someone like Trump is like so hard to get close to and so hard to sort of like feel a sense of trust with, even if you're if you match his core values whatever they are, Like, it just seems I don't know, they're so their their life is so public and it's so committed to the public eye.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think, like, yeah, the usage of a friend as somebody who you could truly be honest with and empathize with and you could like be vulnerable with. I see people like Trump who sees almost everybody as like a means to an end. Everything has a loyalty test, right, and even things you know not to smirch any relationships, but those don't seem to be the most friendly and open. Those seem transactional as well. And you're like, oh, what happens to a human who doesn't have a like an emotional sounding board or compatriot that isn't tied up into your own personal success?
Speaker 1: Are you expressing it? Are you? Are you starting to express some some deep compassion for Donald Trump? Oh my god, I've stumbled on it. We've We've created a monster. I just want to give him a huge That's what probably all he needs. Jordan didn't give a hug. Yeah, group bug, come on, let's do it. Let's let's break through this. You could be a better person. Part of what makes you podcast so fun to listen to, and I think it also makes you such a great guest as on podcasts, is you have an encyclopedic memory for quotations and citations. And I wonder, and I have the memory of a goldfish, like I can't remember any I can't even remember the podcast I did last week, And so I wonder, is there a process to that? Do you take notes or is it sort of effortless? Like what is the you know what's funny about that?
Speaker 9: You and I have talked about that before, because I remember it being meaningful, a meaningful compliment to me the last time we spoke about it. It is from effort somewhat. I'm a big highlighter and I write things on my bathroom mirror. You get white chalk markers, and I write, what's funny is I have all these quotes on my mirror, things that I try to hold in my heart. But every once in a while I'll also write, like a joke, idea, oh cool, So right now my mirror says like what's wrong with right now? If you don't think about it? And then like right beneath it, it says plan B pill But for food. They have that it's called xlax.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's so I'm now in picturing your your home is like is very much serial killer vibes with just like writing all over the mirrors. You just have to own it. You just have to own that. Like, that's that's awesome. I'm a crazy person that writes on my mirror. But it's not.
Speaker 9: It's me goodwill hunting Jesse Eisenberg in the social network, and the thing we all have in common is we remember a lot of quotes.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I really envy that. Here's a nice vintage photo of Teddy. This is not a childhood photo. I just want to be clear. There's gimlets just off camera. Oh yeah, they're they're track pickled onion.
Speaker 9: Like I don't know this story, and I actually don't really follow the Kennedys, so I wasn't even making ted loves to drink.
Speaker 1: I think he's also just of a generation that that's sort of where I was going.
Speaker 9: Yeah, like pickled onions and little vodka cues are year by and cigarettes.
Speaker 1: This was the time. I have photos of my dad exactly like this. Yeah, of course, and he was trashed a lot which back then like you just were like, hello, good to see your irene, you know what I.
Speaker 9: Mean exactly like anybody at that level of drunkenness now you'd be like I shouldn't be here totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I don't know how they did it, because like the hangovers alone are just like I don't know, I don't even drink anymore just because I can't handle it because of It's just I have.
Speaker 9: An old joke where I was like in the Wild West, for example, you know how they're always drinking whiskey. I'm like, you're in the desert. This is why you're shooting each other. You're dehydrated, Like, get some water. That's how I feel about this time. These guys were eating red meat exclusively, maybe a wedge salad covered in blue cheese that was like, what are you.
Speaker 2: A health nut?
Speaker 9: Yeah, and like seven vodka gimlets and a cigarett before the meal.
Speaker 1: I just imagine how how distipated they were all the time. Just have a lot of fiber in these diets past the age of seven. None of them had a glorious bm no.
Speaker 10: So uh, we got to keep it home because honestly, it's the only time I've ever get any validation you. Just reading off those credits made me feel good. I'm like, oh wow, I mean I.
Speaker 1: Didn't even mention your book. You just had a You just wrote a book. I have a book.
Speaker 10: You know. Look, you and I are now authors. We are best selling authors. Very exciting.
Speaker 1: It is very exciting. I'm very proud of us. I was trying to think back to the origin of our friendship, and it just it falls into that huge basket of just wonderful people orbiting the UCB Theater in York City around what like nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 10: Right in that area, because you know, it's it's interesting. There are certain people that like Jason Manzucus. Obviously we co host this podcast together. I know Jason for many years. But Jason was not somebody that was invited to my wedding, which is a crazy thing because we weren't that close at that point in our He's definitely a friend.
Speaker 1: He didn't get that cut. He didn't make that cut. I was at your wedding, you were, and the all the time, I was like, where is Jason? Why this is horrible? Meanwhile, Jason gave a toast at my wedding. As a matter of.
Speaker 10: Fact, it's wild to me that I talked to him all the time and he was somebody that was not that was just not a close friend at that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're so right in that. I feel like there's so many people from that community that I they somehow like merged with our DNA at that time. It's like we we knew each other when we were just comedy Larva wriggling around.
Speaker 10: We were performing in an old strip club where sometimes you'd be doing a show and people would get up and leave, and you're like, did I do a bad job? Like, no, they just thought they were coming to a strip club, And we're very confused for the first forty five minutes of the show exactly, like this is great, but why are they going to take off their clothes? I remember there was a base that you would get to through a trap door basically, and you have the.
Speaker 1: Most rookie the wooden staircase all time to get down it. And you would go down there and it was like a grotto from from like sixteenth century Paris, wet brick walls and dirt floor. It was a it was a New York City catacomb. If you will That's what it was.
Speaker 10: Oh, I mean you would see the craziest stuff and it was only one way in and one way out. Wait, somebody was giving haircuts down there, well, haircuts down there and on stage. Yeah, one of the one of the resident teachers. Yeah, a legend, one of the originals.
Speaker 1: No audience, no audience, really crazy. That should have been its own show, the Haircuts. Weirdly, it would have found an audience too, I'm.
Speaker 10: Sure, actually more palatable than some of the shows that we did experiment with.
Speaker 1: Well as as one of the OG podcasters and one of the greats in the podcasting is thank you No truly like you've You've card out such an awesome niche. It's been so cool to see you do a lot of shows in the studio, you do a lot of shows live on tour. Do you have a preference? I think yeah.
Speaker 10: For me, I think there's something really fun about when it's just Jason, June and I chatting with each other.
Speaker 1: I think that that's always.
Speaker 10: Really a blast and we're not playing for laughs. But when we do it in front of an audience, it's like I like the showmanship of it. I like getting out in front of an audience. I like finding where the jokes are, finding what they find funny and kind of chasing that because sometimes also it can get almost So what I love about the studio is it's so casual that sometimes you are just having a conversation and maybe that's okay too, but like you forget, like, oh we gotta like hit some more jokes, or that one thing is funny, like and I didn't even think it was that funny.
Speaker 1: Well are you ready? I'm thrilled. I'm such a fan of Snephu railroad lines all tied it together. This was a blue collar boom town, and as a result, European immigrants were pouring in looking for work. The population exploded by roughly thirty thousand people in the mid eighteen hundreds. Now, on paper, Paul, explosive growth is great, right, But is it always good for a community? No?
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 10: Is it's just an efficient way to stress people out. I mean I know this from many years of playing the SIMS video game. You can't feel too quick things happen.
Speaker 1: You know you can't. You can't keep up supply and demand.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's a lot of jobs, but then you know there are enough sewage plants exactly.
Speaker 1: You know, things happen as someone who's known you a long long time. So many of us have been trying to pull you out of SIM city time I did, and I'm not even on the sims. I'm not even doing the people. Oh god, I can't. I'm so worried about when SIM goes VR and you'll, like, just you'll be so immersed. I got to put this baseball stadium somewhere.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 1: You know, rapid growth can often lead to corner cutting, as we all, and boy will that come into play, so watch out. I'm not like a tidy, fastidious person, but I do. I am like I like, I'm crafty with like hobby stuff, and I am very meticulous about about sort of like things fitting and measuring properly. I'm also weirdly, and this is to my own detriment, I am weirdly obsessed with like clarity. When people are speaking or trying to make a point with me, I get very frustrated if they're unclear, or if they're like or if they just drops forget to sort of give me a piece of context. I'm like, oh am, I supposed to know what do you mean? What is the like and it's it's not rational or fair, but it's just how you are. But I think it is there is something about like like that, like precision in communication is like incredibly important to me. And I'm not even that good necessarily, I'm not, like, but I understand what you're saying. It tries me nuts when somebody's unclear. Yeah, totally, that's neat. That's neat. What's different. Yeah, it is a weird thing.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's at least it's different from my life view. So that's why I asked where you said, like that museum sounded interesting, And I think for me, precision is the exact details of things being right never interested me.
Speaker 1: I love the in between. I love the gray area.
Speaker 6: I love the when things fall off the rails. If things are all going well and it all falls off, that's when I'm like, oh, excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear that.
Speaker 6: I've just as even as a kid, I've always liked that. I'm like, oh, that's when things are fun for me.
Speaker 1: I feel that about you, Jake, and I will say it's an incredibly endearing aspect of you. I really I admire that.
Speaker 6: I feel the same with you about yours ed. I admire that about you, truly.
Speaker 1: It might speak a little bit to how we approach comedy and storytelling differently. And I find acting and improvising with you to be like so fun, Like you're one of the most present people to improvise with. I always I sort of can't believe the things you're clocking because it's so in the moment and in the space, and and it makes me You'll clock the most random, specific things, and it makes me laugh so hard, and I love It's truly a joy. I feel the same about.
Speaker 6: You, But I feel what's really night neat about this moment is what I like about you is I think we're playing very different games, and I like being in scenes with you because I'm like, like, for example, my podcast is very loose, we take calls, we have no idea what's happening.
Speaker 1: Everything is meant to be a mistake. I came on a podcast what was happening, no idea, and I'd same for me on this one. And what I was like, Oh, this is so add to me.
Speaker 6: It's really interesting information where you've done a lot of work, You've prepared.
Speaker 1: It, you have not bullshitted through a story you have prepared and told all.
Speaker 6: These different beats, and you have moments where you're like, there could be an interjection here where I was like, oh, this is an ed formula and mine we're here to help with such a Jake formula where it's hey, you're here, we're recording. Yeah, have a caller come on?
Speaker 1: What are they said? I don't know.
Speaker 6: Hopefully something goes wrong and then we've got twenty five minutes.
Speaker 1: I also love that, and this is I'm delighted to be sort of plugging your podcast in this moment too, because it is so funny and the premise I think you told me, like a few minutes into the podcast, you're like, oh yeah, and by the way, we have to agree with the caller, like like we have to take the caller's side in this way, try do no matter what, be on their team.
Speaker 6: So there are fins.
Speaker 1: What I love about that, and what is so Jake to me about that is how ludicrously arbitrary that is. It's like, this is just a this will make things interesting, this will mess things up. That's like this will just this will keep such of this will make this will make everyone have to like like condition their answer in such a ridiculous way that you can't you can't rely on your tricks and your tools and your whatever, your instincts. It's like, no, no, we're gonna take We're just gonna make desire. And it just makes me like that by itself makes me laugh well.
Speaker 6: Because if you were, if you are allowed to disagree, then a lot of us would come on and go, no, let me tell you how it should be. Sure, And I'm like, but if they're driving the train and all we're doing, if they're the star player on the team, and it's our job to make sure they win, then you go like, their logic's crazy, But I have to be with them.
Speaker 1: It's like being on the ship with Joseph. It's being Joseph down bays, you.
Speaker 6: Know, right hand man, and being like, okay, my man, I can't tell you no, I wish you had pants on, but you want to dress up like a Spaniard?
Speaker 1: My man, me too, me too.
Speaker 6: And then you're going do this, Hey, I am one, and they go this is bullshit, and you go, hey, Joe, that was not the best plan, right.
Speaker 1: That is so joyful, Oh, Jake Johnson, Another damn delightful hang out with you. Thanks so much for coming on. I feel the same about you, Ed, I love you, buddy. Snafu is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Snaffoo Media, a partnership between Film Nation Entertainment and Pacific Electric Picture Company. Post production and creative support from Good Egg Audio. Our executive producers are me Ed Helms, Mike Falbo, Glenn Basner, Andy Kim, and Dylan Fagan. This episode was produced by Alyssa Martino and Tory Smith. Our managing producer is Carl Nellis. Our video editor is Jared Smith. Technical direction and engineering from Nick Dooley. Additional story editing from Carl Nellis. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Logo and branding by Matt Gosson and the Collected Works. Legal review from Dan Welsh, Meghan Halson and Caroline Johnson. Special thanks to Isaac Dunham, Adam Horn, Lane Klein, and everyone at iHeart Podcasts, but especially Will Pearson, Carrie Leeberman and Nikki Ator. While I have you, don't forget to pick up a copy of my book, Snaffoo, The Definitive Guide to History's Greatest screw Ups. It's available now from any book retailer. Just go to snaffoo dashbook dot com. Thanks for listening, and see you next week.