Speaker 1: The Cricket Store just lasted a bunch of new merchant inspired by your favorite Crookeet media podcasts, reminding you to unplug, reconnect, and get festive. Some of the new items include a Nog Save America mug. You listen to pod Save America, you volunteer through Vote Save America. But maybe what you need it all along to Save America was eggnog log off ornament. Inspired by Offline, this ornament shows a snoozing doodle lying next to a burning log, which also has a burning smartphone on it. A true classic Christmas scene where the only screen in sight is being burnt to a crisp Treason's greetings, crew neck, tis the season for some Treason. Follow La La La La straight from the top secret documents at mar Lago to the ski slopes of this fantasy world holiday design. Every order from the Crookeet Store will support vod Save America's Every Last Vote fund to make sure every voice can be heard in the face of unprecedented voter suppression. Head to Crooked dot com slash store to check out the new arrivals now. Warning, this podcast contains spoiler for and or including episodes ten and eleven. Hello, My name is Jason Concepcion, and welcome to X ray Vision, the Cricket Podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. In this episode, in the previously on, we'll be commemorating the life and work of Kevin Conroy, the iconic voice of Batman and Bruce Wayne for millions of fans around the globe. We will be revisiting Black Panther Waconda Forever after its opening week, talking about the reaction to the film now a week out, and just the general topic of Marvel fatigue. Is it happening? What is it? What's going on? Care In the airlock, we're back in space for and Or episodes ten and eleven and in a hive mind. We are absolutely delighted to welcome and Or creator, screenwriter, director, showrunner extraordinary Tony Gilroyd to the program. Of course, if you want to jump around, check the show notes for the time stamps. In joining me today, you know it is the number one Godzilla writer working in ink and pages today in the digital and paper medium, the number one comics historian, the number one knower of things that are related to horror movies, it's Rosie night Hella.
Speaker 2: It's me.
Speaker 1: Rosie. How are you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm good. I'm good. I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 3: I'm sad about you know, Kevin, but I'm happy with you.
Speaker 2: We have to pay homage.
Speaker 3: There is amazing impact, and I mean, I'm happy to be someone my ander again because this is as everybody knows.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is some of the best Star Wars.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: I ever put to TV, screen book, comic book like this stuff is.
Speaker 2: It's up there.
Speaker 3: So I'm really excited and I'll chat with Tony is good stuff.
Speaker 1: What a guy. Okay, let's let's get into it.
Speaker 4: First.
Speaker 1: Up on the previously on the discussion of the impact of Kevin Conray. So, Kevin Conroy passed away on November tenth due to an ongoing illness intestinal cancer. Reportedly and quite simply, he is Batman for millions of people, for four hundred plus episodes of television, including his you know, legendary run on Batman, the animated series. It's hard to really overstate the impact he had. Yeah, because you're talking about a time when so the Batman movies were coming out obviously still at this time.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: They had these the animated series felt connect to the quote unquote spirit of Batman. Yeah, the character in a way that was unique. And it's just impossible to even see a still from Batman the Animated series and not hear that deep like baritone voice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean so often over the years, especially you know, many years ago, pre MCU and Superior movies were like back at the top of the game. Again, like most people of a certain age, if you ask them who the best Batman was, or who their Batman was, they would say Kevin Conroy.
Speaker 2: The animated series was.
Speaker 3: This all encompassing iconic thing that so many of us experienced, and that for many of us was the most regular Batman that we got. It was on TV, it was easy to follow, you could watch it. Also, it was you know, came out around the time of Batman Returns. It had a Danny Elfman score. It felt like it was connected to the movies, but it also felt like it was a part to the comics. It adapted everything from you know, the Dark Knight Returns to like the most silly, kind of playful elements of Batman. It also introduced Harlequin obviously and huge. Yeah, and at the heart of it is is Kevin Conroy and that performance, and for so long, Batman, the animated series kept Batman alive in the hearts of DC fans and people who love superhero movies and people who don't, people who just like that show and love Kevin. And it's kind of like I would say, he's comparable to you know, Mark Hamill and carry They really they kept Star Wars alive for a long time when the movies weren't coming out by doing cons and being present and having cameos and connecting with fans and keeping that conversation going and that love going.
Speaker 2: And Kevin was like that.
Speaker 3: And recently he'd actually written a comic in the DC Pride anthology that we talked about with Danny Fernandez called Finding Batman, which is about how growing up as a gay teenager was incredibly hard and how his journey to Batman and becoming Batman reflects that part of his life.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely amazing.
Speaker 3: DC actually put it up for free for people to read, so you can read it right now, and it's just, yeah, what an unbelievable loss. And I'm just really one of the things I think is really special is Kevin actually got to play a future version of Batman in the live action c dow stuff recently. So I love that we got to see that Batman become you know, that the Kevin's face Batman rather than.
Speaker 2: Just his his incredible voice.
Speaker 3: But yeah, never been a better time to go back and watch Batman made series, which is such a joy and still just one of the best TV shows ever made.
Speaker 1: Connor Goldsmith, who hosts the Unbelievable cerebro Cast, one of the one of the most indelible, unique and fun podcasts about comics, specifically the X Men that is out there. It's absolutely vibrant with a really fun community, tweeted the other day, It's been lovely to see the whole comics internet coming together to celebrate Kevin Conroy. Apart from his unrivaled work as a voice actor, which will be immortal, I'm so sad that in such an important gale there is gone. He lived through so much and achieved so much. I'm grateful it was such an important part of his story. On Kevin Conray, you will be missed, all right. We're a week plus away from Black Panther Wakanda Forever and I've been interested to see the just to take in the reaction and specifically the reaction. You know, I did this. I did a guest spot on on the Recode podcast with Peter Kofka for Vox, and he was asking me about Marvel fatigue, and I wanted to talk to you about it, Rosie, because he was like, well, you know, what do you think about Marvel fatigue? Some people are tired of it or they're waiting for people to be tired of it. What do you think is going on? And it's been interesting that it's you know, as phase four is kicked off, it has been really it's been a huge topic and I think there's various reasons for that. And first of all, with regards to Marvel fatigue, it will happen. If it's not happening now, people will get people like, you know, everything that is popular will at some point become less popular and stop happening. There's no there's no reason to imagine that the Marvel movies will remain the top box office breaking movies in the world for the rest of our lives. Like they will fall off at some point. But I think what's interesting to me is, you know, having come from a writing background, is somewhat of a criticism background is I think a lot of what's happening is as Marvel was going on its run all the way up through Endgame. I think that there were a lot of critics and people who like movies generally, just fan of movies generally, who thought, oh shit, is this what movies are going to be now? And and we're not particularly maybe they like two or three of the MCU movies, but we're not particularly fans of the movies, which is absolutely fine. Like what you like and like what you don't like. But I but if I can, I can also understand if I was a critic who didn't like Marvel movies, I would be like, shit, am I out of a job? If I tell? And I think now that Phase four has come out and it, you know, didn't have the kind of drive, narrative drive. I think that the Marvel the somewhat disparate you know, we're telling different stories about hidden societies, and there's no there has been no central big bed to kind of shoot for over the course of the face. I think that I think that a lot of this is people just feeling more comfortable now to say, you know, and I don't like Marvel movies. We're in the past. It would have been like you'd get you'd potentially get an email from your editor like too bad.
Speaker 2: Sorry. No, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Saying I'm not confirming or denying if that's the case, but I will say it sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that I think that is realistic. And I think there's two big things here right.
Speaker 3: One is that as comic book fans, as people who lived through the nineties boom when comic books were everywhere, we've actually seen this before, the idea of fatigue on comics or comics being the biggest thing in the world and they're everywhere, and they're talking about death of Superman on the news, and there's five hundred.
Speaker 2: People queuing up outside a shop to meet Rob Leifeld. You know, we've lived through that. We've already lived through.
Speaker 3: Oh, this thing we love is now the most important thing in the world in the early two thousands to a certain extent, Spider Man, X men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we know that.
Speaker 2: These things are cyclical.
Speaker 3: If people are tired of Marvel, that's, like you said, it's to be expected. And I think the other thing that you can't kind of count out about the way that the conversation is going, especially on a critical lens, because you know, people have to watch all these things multiple movies in a year.
Speaker 1: I think that's a big part of Disney critical texture.
Speaker 3: I think that Disney Plus has been so influential for both better and worse.
Speaker 2: We love it.
Speaker 3: I mean, one division to me unbelievable, Like Jonathan Major's King, these are things, These are stories I never thought I would get to see. And if we weren't living in an age where you know, I'll put it in brackets content because I don't really like calling this stuff that, but like content is king, you know, we probably wouldn't be getting a story based on a weird Scarlet Witch and Vision mini series, or we wouldn't be venturing into the world of Kang if we hadn't already spent ten years digging into some of the weirder parts of Marvel. But it, to me is very understandable that certain people might.
Speaker 2: Be overwhelmed or tiring and even.
Speaker 3: Quicker because of the fact that there are so many of these things to take note of. There are multiple weekly shows, and if you add Star Wars into it, then you're getting and then you add all the other things Disney and Pixar, you know, there's multiple different versions. I will personally say the thing I think that is positive about this for people who don't like it or who do like it, Phase four, to me, is about a certain level of choice.
Speaker 1: There's absolutely agree with you for all different.
Speaker 2: Kinds of people.
Speaker 3: Now, look we I always I love indie movies, I love World Cinema, I love horror, I love b movies, I love Fantasia Fest.
Speaker 2: I always want to see more kinds of movies.
Speaker 3: So I understand that celebrating Disney for a certain amount of variety is like cheering on a monopoly. But I will say I think Phase four is actually positive, that it's not this huge cultural beer moth that is everyone has to like every movie. I actually think it's great that you can like Love Eternals and not like Doctor Strange. I like both of them just for flabibitation. I really like Doctor Strange. But I think the fact that there's more of this stuff and people can have varying degrees of conversation. Also, I am very much a person who says, if you don't like it, just that's fine, Like you can actually just not like it, and there's been a lot of voices who, like you said, are feeling more comfortable. Does that relate to how people actually feel about Marvel movies. I don't necessarily think so. I mean, just to compare numbers in the opening weekend of Black Panther were kind of forever arguably probably the most anticipated movie of the year on a pop culture level.
Speaker 1: Sure agreed, that made one.
Speaker 3: Hundred and eighty million domestic three hundred and thirty million worldwide in about three.
Speaker 2: Or four days.
Speaker 3: That is almost dollar for a dollar, the same amount that Black Adam made in like almost a month.
Speaker 2: So it's there's a there might be a critical fatigue.
Speaker 3: I know that there's definitely general TV watchers who aren't keeping up with every Marvel show, But I don't necessarily know that Marvel fatigue means anything kind of dire for the future of the ties.
Speaker 1: I mean, which is interesting, which is why I want to raise it, because whenever the question is asked, or whenever I'm asked that, or whenever I hear that conversation, it's always framed as it's you know, almost like when is this is this over?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Is this whole thing over? And I and I think that we've gotten to a point where to pick up on something you're talking about, whether Disney intended this or not. We've hit a point now with the movies, with the Disney plus offerings where it's kind of like, Okay, what kind of marvel do you like? Do you like spy ship? Do you like shit?
Speaker 2: Do you like do you like shit?
Speaker 1: You like shit?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Do you want funny stuff? Do you want?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it's so listen, I'm sure that Disney wants you to watch every single It's like looking movie we are watching. We we are those people like we are you know, we're in the tank for it, you know, because this is what we have loved. But I think we've also reached a point where this popularity may wax and wane. But as a as a proposition, these movies and shows aren't really gonna go anywhere. Like the budgets may go up and budgets may go up and down. They may release less movies per year, they may release less shows per year, which I think and more and more yeah, or they make more animated whatever it is. But this stuff is here, like all this this genre is here now, and it's you know, not going anywhere for the foreseeable future, although you know, the density and the cadence of them may change.
Speaker 3: And also like this is something that I've talked about with you guys, But like these patterns have been seen before, right, Like the X Men movies X one x two. People love those, Sam raym Spider Man one and two, they loved them. Then you had like Tim Stories Fantastic Four, which I think are very fun, even though they disrespected Galactus. So I've never forgiven that in the second one. But like I feel like movies like Morbius, like there's always gonna be a dilution of quality when something becomes so saturated. So that's gonna happen. And the real truth is that until a new movie comes out that has almost one hundred years of source material for people to be like, oh I can make one of those two, these movies are going to keep being here.
Speaker 2: It's like, whenever I try and think about it, like you know, action.
Speaker 3: Movies, the trends, the blockbusters, the things that have happened before, it's hard to predict what that kind of zeitgeist shifting.
Speaker 1: It's unpredictable. It's it's this is when I was working at the Ringer Reader in binge mode, and Game of Thrones was coming to an end, Like a major part of the conversation was monoculture and is this the end of monoculture with the end of Game of Thrones? Will there ever be anything that captures the imagination like this? And similar to end, you know, endgame was coming on the heels of the end of Game of Thrones, So it was like this feeling of oh have we have we exited the era of this huge, you know, piece of cultural content that everybody takes part in, and no one again, as you said, no one can predict what that thing is going to be. But if there's one thing I'm sure of is that there will be another thing like that again and again and again. Because we create people, human beings crave it. We crave this massive story that we can all talk about with our friends or argue about and say, did you notice this? I noticed this. The whole world is based on stories.
Speaker 2: Culture.
Speaker 3: Human culture has been based on stories, from the traditions of oral storytelling to religious texts to you know, comic books like I always remember I went to this unbelievable is one of the best days of my life. Still it was like a Mike carry how to make comics like Little Class and it was so cool and I love the stuff.
Speaker 2: I yet with Apocalypse, so I'm super into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he said, you know, if somebody just found like an entire run of the X Men comics in five hundred years, they would probably think that was like our Odyssey or some kind of real folk law that's shaped. That is fifty thousand plus issues. You know, it's it's decades of human storytelling. It's analogous, it's not real, but stories really matter. And whether it's comic book stories, whether it's adaptations of Michael Crichton books like Jurassic Park, whether it's biographical films, whatever, that next thing is going to be that kind of blows up the world.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be about stories.
Speaker 3: And like you said, we're always going to find something else, especially with the Internet, because that allows us to connect over these things in a way that was never possible for and that's part of why we want the commune or storytelling, the water cooler moments of Game of Fans.
Speaker 1: Okay, up next, we return to a galaxy far far away to discuss and or episodes ten and eleven X ray Vision has brought to you, Ay, Doomlings, The world is ending. If you think this is some sort of game, well good because it is. Doomlings is a delightful card game for the end of the world.
Speaker 5: Somewhere on a doomed and distant planet, life has emerged, competing for dominance.
Speaker 1: Until the world's inervitable structure.
Speaker 5: Score points by playing traits for your doomling species, making them more adaptable, resilient, and mischievous. Evolve your doom links throughout ages and catastrophes, which are special rounds that befall the planet, forcing you to adapt your strategy until the end.
Speaker 1: Of the world. Doomalings is a card game for two to six players, ages ten plus and takes about twenty to forty five minutes to play. It's perfect for dinner parties, family game light, or when you just needed to take a break from prepping your underground bunker. Doomling sets itself apart from other card games because it's like a hybrid game for tabletop enthusiasts and non gamers alike. What does that mean. It means it's easy to get into and easy to play. It's accessible, there's a lot of gameplay depth and replayability. It's not like other card games that might have a lot of rules and a lot of specialized decks that might take a long time to learn. This is because of doom links randomized setup and also the fact that there are one hundred and sixty seven unique cards in the box. No duplicates are fill as. It feels like a trading card game, but you don't need to build a deck like other games out there. Wink Wink wink gig and it can be played fast. Doom Links was funded on Kickstart in forty nine minutes and catapulted into one of the fastest growing games on the planet. Doom Links has over twenty five hundred and five star reviews and has received the Dice Towers Seal of Approval, and has also been played in over eighty countries and America, which doesn't count because we're the best. People say, I don't know. Get twenty percent off your first order when you use code x ray at doom links dot com. That's d O m l I on GS dot com and use code x ray that's do m l I NNGS dot com. Code x ray. X ray vision is brought to you by z biotics. The holidays are a lot a lot of food, a lot of drinks, and one too many awkward family moments. Z Biotics gives me one less thing to worry about how those holiday drinks are gonna affect me the morning after. Have you ever skipped a workout because of the drinks that you imbibed the night before. If you're committed to your healthy routine this year, you need z biotics. Nowadays, when I'm drinking the alkyhol I don't bounce back the next day like a high functioning alcoholic used to, so a lot of the time I'd be the only person in the group not drinking or which is loser shit. Or I end up just skipping plans with friends all together, which is super loser shit. That is, until I found z biotics. We all have busy lives these days and can't afford to waste a day stuck on the couch because maybe I had a couple of drinks the night before. Z Biotics is the answer we've all been looking for. Z biotics pre alcohol probiotic is the world's first genetically engineered probiotic. It was invented by a PhD scientist to tackle rough mornings after drinking. Here is how it works. When you drink, alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in the gut. It is this byproduct, not dehydration, that's the blame for your rough next day. Zbiotics produces an enzyme to break this byproduct down. It's designed to work like your liver, but in your gut where you need it most. God, are you taking notes? Just remember to drink z biotics before drinking alcohol. Drink responsibly. I'll say it again. Drink responsibly and get a good night's sleep to feel your best tomorrow. Give z biotics a try for yourself. Go to z biotics dot com slash x ray to get fifteen percent off your first order when you use code x ray at checkout. Z biotics is backed with one hundred percent money back guarantee. So you're unsatisfied for any reason, they'll refund your money and they don't even care why. Thanksgiving is coming up, so order a pack of z biotics so you and those joining you around the table can indulge a little wink wink wink this holiday and still feel thankful you did the next day. The holidays are upon us, and z Biotics makes a great gift. It's unique, thoughtful, and under forty dollars, perfect for the stocking. Well, we'll all be having more drinks this holiday season, so order today to get z biotics in time. Remember to head to z biotics dot com, slash x ray and use code x ray to check out for fifteen percent off. Thank you to z Biotics for sponsoring this episode. Glug Glug, Glug, Glug glug. Can you swim? Can you swim?
Speaker 3: Rosie? I can swim, but I am very scared of large swaths of water, So I was really having a lot of empathy, uh for.
Speaker 1: Our good friend Keino Lloyd. Well, we are stepping off of the balcony in the prison, the industrial prison of Nartina five, into the water, and we're swimming away to talk about and Or episodes ten and eleven.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Episode ten titled One Way Out written by bo Willhelmon and directed by Toby Haynes, and episode eleven Daughter of Ferris written by Tony Gilroy and directed by Benjamin Karen. We start with and Or ten. Wow Wulf's body is wheeled out of the facility after he has been euthanized by the medical tech there. Cassian tells, you know that, listen, we got to make our move now. They can't wait. They you know, they there, We're not leaving here. You can see that now, can't you. And Cassian tells them like they don't have enough guards to watch us. They know it. They're scared of us. We need to act. When they bring a new person down to replace Ulaf, that's when we have to move. Cassian and Keina returned to the barracks. They tell the men that they what they know. There's been a massacre on two. Then Ulaf was euthanized, and the bottom line is, we're not leaving this place. It doesn't matter what your sentence says, doesn't matter how many shifts you have left. You're gonna die here, yeah, or some other place that's exactly like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And there's a there's a great moment where Cassian says it and they kind of they go oh, and they try and explain it away. But then Keino realizes in that moment that he has to be the one to tell them, and he's.
Speaker 1: Like, it's true, Like nobody's getting out.
Speaker 2: And that's their boss, that's the man who's steered them through and so.
Speaker 1: They know in that moment, what a fucking great Andy serkis you just did?
Speaker 2: And I love and I wish I hope that this. I hope this will get him.
Speaker 3: I hope that this will get him more non CG roles, because I feel like he's he's selling it in this.
Speaker 2: He's just like absolutely delivering at every level. But yeah, I think he's my secret talent.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: He's a legitimately mesmerizing actor on screen. You know obviously, you know, you know, connected to his CG work, his MO cap work, but like a great actor, and he's he's mesmerizing in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At back at ib Boo, Deirdre has been tracking Anton Kreeger, this rebel leader, uh and he's they're waiting for him to take this bait that they've laid out there, and he's taken the bait. So the ISB is on the on the track right of the Anton Kreeker they're watching him. Next morning, Keino Loy gets the men ready for what they're going to have to face that day. They go through the motions as if it's a normal shift and they're just waiting for the moment that the guards bringing the lift's replacement. Down on Corssant, Mathma and Tay meet the gangster Davos. He he's there to hear what it is that mathmaonte need. Basically, they need money. Wondering, Davos sees through this kind of like cover story that they're spinning about a charitable organization that just needs, you know, liquidity. They need an injection of cash to carry on with their charitable works. He sees through this. He says, listen, I'll do I'll loan you some four hundred thousand credits, but I don't want anything in return. You just owe me. Don't worry about it, like you know some kind of schedule to pay back. You just will owe me a favor. And was like, no, no, no, no, no no no, I don't want to owe a gangster a favor. No, Like we'll just work something out like monetarily. And Dallas is like, no, well, instead of that, what about this introduce my son to your daughter? He wants to. He wants to set up a love match. He says, two young people, attractive and privileged Chandrilline citizens. Mathma is aghast, but Davas is like, take it or leave it. Mathma declines Claya, Luthan's assistant at the shop on Coussant, brings news that there are marks on a fountain out in the town, which is like a sign that there's a meaning to be set up, but she doesn't like the timing of this could be a trap. Back on Narcina five, the guards bring the new man down, Cassian and the rest of the prisoners spring into action, and long story short, everybody fucking gets out. It is false pounding, you know. Keno gives this incredible speech. He gets the men all chanting one way out.
Speaker 3: He has this moment again, it's this thing of they get to the control room, he takes over the speaker and Cassian's like, it has to be you and just coach him.
Speaker 2: He's like, you've been doing this, You've been for five hundred shifts, two thousand shifts.
Speaker 3: You've been the one whose voice has sparked them into action, and you have to do it now. And they turn off all the power and it is just it's a prison breakout. They get blasters, they are taken down and guess what, Cassian was right. They did not have enough guards. This is running on a very i'll say tight ship but cheap. The empire is cheap, and they've been using the flaws and the electrocution to not have to put money into actually starffing this prison.
Speaker 1: When Cassian is laying that all out to Keino, he he says, and I think it's a fascinating thing to think about, how how brutality is actually an indicator of fear and weakness. He says. Listen, if they had enough, if they weren't scared of us, why why wouldn't they just you know, keep everybody alive there. They are terrified. That's why they wiped out the entire floor of two because they're scared and they know that they can't handle us if we all rise up. And then there's this It's a small moment, but it was so powerful when you're seeing these prisoners, you know, fighting their way to the top of the facility, rampaging through it and killing guards and you know, moving to the top taking their revenge. There is a small scene of these guards like cowering in like a closet somewhere, just terrified, and it was it really kind of closed the loop on that thing that Cassian was saying up front, which was they're scared of us. Yes they're brutal, but it's their brutal methods that let you know that they're scared.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I want to say as well, this is like another We talked about this a lot when we were talking about this arc on Naquina five, but like, this is a show where Tony Gilroy has put you in the position of empathizing with prisoners, prisoners who were doing labor like prisoners do every day in this country, and he is then getting you to support them when they riot against their conditions and against the fact in an unjust system. He is saying, you agree with this, You there is no question that what you are watching is right. And I just think that's so powerful in the context the conversations that we have about the prison industrial complex, and it was this is a very special episode out of all of the and not in like.
Speaker 2: That Don't do Drugs kind of espials.
Speaker 1: I love those two, but like, I mean, it's it is after all the build up of this, in particular the last two the previous two episodes, you know, uh, post al Donnie Cassian's arrest on the vacation World of Namos and kind of like you know, the the trumped up charges by which he is arrested. This is such a cathartic episode because you're absolutely right. It's it's it's put you in their shoes to such a degree that you understand that this is right, and we.
Speaker 2: Know that right right, there's no question this is what they need to do.
Speaker 3: This is an unjust system that has imprisoned them so their bodies can be exploited for labor, and they're never gonna leave if they don't do this. It's it's heartbreaking and amazing. And Andy Serkis gives this unbelievable performance as this kind of reluctant leader turned man who knows that this is like the one good thing. He has been complicit in this system for so long, absolutely and he knows this is one thing he can do. It's it's not a true complicity because he didn't have a choice, but in his role as being the floor manager, every day one of his crews was getting electrocuted.
Speaker 2: You know, he played the game in line exactly.
Speaker 1: People will play the game for a long time until it's revealed that actually there's no and to the game. You know, yeah, that even the rules that are laid out for you or fake. The men fight their way to the top and they find themselves, you know, high above a body of water, and men are hurling themselves off into the water. They're swimming away, the screaming one way out, yeah, one way out, and Cassie in terms of Keno, let's go, let's jump, and Keno's just like I can't. I can't swim. And it is a heartbreaking moment. Now we don't know what happens. We don't, but I think we're led to believe, and certainly because of episode eleven, we're led to believe that keno does not mean yeah and something.
Speaker 3: Really important and like if you're someone who loved when we used to do really deep dive easter egg kind of breakdowns into stuff. Episode ten is the first episode where we get some little things that are a little bit more than like visual nods. So something very interesting here is that when they show the prison and out of each of the bays where the ships would dock, people are throwing themselves out and swimming away. It's this it's the shape of an Imperial logo as we know them now, you know. So there's these little touches that are yeah, just unbelievable, and it's kind of this really interesting visual way of showing these people freeing themselves from the grips of the empire, like and the imperial this imperial prison on Narqina five.
Speaker 2: So for irp Qino, you are a real one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a there's a there's a quick moment in Luthen's shop. I was gonna say, where you see Padme's head piece. Yeah, her head dress, their ceremonial headdress that she wears. That's the first like prequels technical like easter egg that we that we have and it's an easter egg, but it's like it is emblematic of how ruthless the world and this system is. Now here is something that is a hallmark of you know, the culture of Naboo and of a beloved leader of that of that place, and her regalia is just like up for sale even ye can just go buy it. Yeah no, not even forget even in a museum people. This is yeah, this is just for private collectors, for rich people. It is just up for the highest bid or if you want to just walk into Luthen's and buy it. It is It's a heartbreaking display of what has happened to a lot of the galaxy. Luthen goes to this meeting. It's in some industrial kind of like area, of course far away and uh Luthen's contact is Lonnie, one of the ISB investigators that has been working closely with Deirdre. He has been apparently steadily burrowing into the ISB at Luthen's behest, steadily, you know, providing information to Luthen, who in turn has been we are guessing holding the man's family hostage somehow or at least threatening.
Speaker 3: I don't know knowledge he knows a lot about this man's family, and there is a lot of implied threats, yes, in what he is saying to to Lonnie.
Speaker 2: And it's unclear. It doesn't seem like Lutheren thinks Lonnie is a particularly good person.
Speaker 1: So it's uncare if this is he's just a valuable he's a valuable asset.
Speaker 3: I don't think this is a rebel who did a great job at weaseling his way in. I think this is an ISB agent that Lutheran is exploiting. And yes, he's about to find out something very useful, so like good for him.
Speaker 1: Right, So Luthen, of course, has been you know, front and center for Deirdre's investigation into Anton Kreeger and the spread of imperial kind of contraband stolen by rebels across the galaxy. He tells Luthen that okay, Uh, Deirdre is on Kreeger, and they know that Kreeger is planning a raid on spell House and the ISP is watching. They want him to raid it because they're going to sweep up that entire network.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: And he's like, okay, so I've given you this and I want out. That's what I'm done. It's getting too dangerous, like let me out, and h He's like, I've sacrificed so much for this, you know, Like, what have you sacrificed? If you gives one of the great beach in Star Wars ever ever, ever, he just is, what have I sacrificed? And he then goes on a monologue about I've you know, I've sacrificed my life. I'm sacrificing right now everything that I have for a sun that I'm never gonna see. He's psychology.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's acknowledging that he has become a man who would and someone's fan by Master, he has become the thing that he hates, the thing he's trying to take down. He's you know, his morals, his values, everything gone, and he's basically living the worst kind of life in the hope that someone in the future can have a better life. And it's this is a really that line you said about where it's like, you know, I sacrificed everything. I've sacrificed hope for like a sunrise I'll never see. You know, that's such great foreshadowing of that moment in Rogue one at the end when Cassie and and Jin watched the sun you know, before it looks like the sun's coming up before everything kind of explodes. And yeah, that it's so funny because that circus has really had two of my favorite lines in this whole show, which is the still my favorite is the never more than twelve about the gods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in episode ten when he says I can't swim.
Speaker 3: That is just like heartbreaking and you think that nothing can like outdo that performance wise, and then Stellan Skarsgd just comes through at the like grimmest realist, most heartbreaking speech about like the realities and toil that it takes to make concrete change.
Speaker 1: And also so clear eyed in understanding that the game he is playing is so dangerous that there's no way he lives. No's I'm not going to live through this.
Speaker 2: And also it takes a long time. He's doing something that might happen twenty years from now. He sees it that things could change.
Speaker 1: And it ties back to the smallest moment in Return of the Jedi when mon Matha is talking about the raid on End or what they have to do, how they got these plans, and she says, you know, the many Bothams died to bring us this information, and it was like this window into this like bottomless tragedy that had had to take place in order to deliver this information to the to the rebel pilots in their leaders. And here we're getting, you know, looks like we're going through that window and seeing the smallest piece of that story, a version of that story where all these spies have like laid down their lives to overturn the Empire. And it's thrilling. It was just an it's incredible monologue. It just is like brings you to the edge of your seat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this episode is just such a powerhouse turn for everyone involved, the writers, the directors, the cast's it's so good and Diego does such a brilliant job the entire way through. He essentially has to. He's somebody having an awakening of what needs to be done, still not necessarily for the right reasons. He just wants to get back, see his family and get his money and escape. He is not all in on the rebellion, but at the same time, he hastes and he knows enough about what is right and wrong to know that he didn't just try and escape himself. He wanted everyone in the prison to get out. He wanted everyone to be freed. He wanted Keino to become the leader he could be. We're seeing the awakening of this angry, furious man that we meet in Rogue one, and it's it's very special. I love how much this series is also setting up that, remember how annoying Gin is to everyone because she's like, oh.
Speaker 2: You need his hope.
Speaker 3: All rebellions need a hope, and everyone's like, actually, no, like rebellions need a lot more than that. And it's been like really fucking hard to like make this happen. And I love how much context and kind of emotional. Hef this is bringing I'm waiting every week I watch this. I want to watch Rogue again, but I'm waiting till the finale next week.
Speaker 1: I'm saying I feel the same exact way, and I I too, have been holding off on watching it. So that brings us to episode eleven, Daughter of Ferikh, after their escape from the prison, Cassie and Andor and future Sergeant Melchie, who we will see in Rogue one as one of the one of the many soldiers that gave their lives, and the raid on scaiff cling to the side of a cliff, they're trying to evade Imperial patrols, and eventually the patrol goes away and they haul themselves up. But it just gives you a taste of the many, many risks that they are taking and continue to take as they flee from the prison on ur Kina FIV. Meanwhile, on Ferres, we learned that Marva has passed, and Or's adopted mother, tib is be kidnapper also, which we should talk about, and we will talk about.
Speaker 2: She died.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's you know what, though, it is one thing I've been thinking about in this as we've been watching this like early days of the fight against the Empire kind of unfold. Is the fact that what we're kind of what you know, there's a Senate, there's a galactic Senate, right, but that I think we also shouldn't assume, even though we only know about the governments of a few of these places, that it's that we're talking about democracies. It's like it's a Senate made up of you know, mainly like nobles, royal houses, corporate interests. Yeah, like court planets that are completely run by corporations, like you know, God love them, but you're talking about like a royal lineage Like this is there's no actual democracy on a planet to planet level, and it's one of like because that's one of the one of the things I've been thinking about is, other than some of the flashbacks on phericks, you don't see protests, like mass protests against the Empire. I know that the Empire can blow up your fucking plant, I get it, but they're not everywhere at once, and you just don't see this kind of like mass uprising against the Empire. And part of you know, and I guess I've just been like asking myself why. And I think part of where I've come to is part of the reason why is the governments that the Empire supplanted were not in and of themselves the kind of governments that you could really protest safely against.
Speaker 3: Also definitely I agree, And I think that also the thing that's been really interesting to see about this and is very real to real world struggle is to get to that place where you have the million people marching against something kind of protest, you have to have multiple different people all around the world, the galaxy, the country, these little hubs of people who want to make where they live better, who want to make things better. And I think that and that can come together and coalesce it in a moment and a movement. But I think that kind of the interesting thing about Marva is like everyone, I would say, like the Mottrow of pretty much about every character in this show is like they're.
Speaker 2: Just trying their best.
Speaker 3: Like she she made a bad decision, but in the moment, it was the decision that she thought was best, and that Ficassian kind of ended up being a good thing.
Speaker 2: Even though I do think there's more to dig into, well, I well, I.
Speaker 1: Bring up I bring up the democracy angle and the lack of protest angle to say, and not in any kind of like what aboutism way that we the Republic was clearly imperfect. Look at Marva and you know, and her stealing a child from from a planet because of you know, the depredations of some kind of corporate power that was working under the aeges of the Republic on this planet. But it was better than the Empire. And we have yet to really dig into, other than those early episodes of this series, exactly how fucked up the Republic was. Like, we don't actually know exactly how fucked up the Republic was, and some like and as Saul super brittor Saul is noting the the kind of uh, the the early episodes of Tales of the Jedi in which we see like Count Dooku and and Qui gon Jin take down a corrupt center, we did. We we have yet to really get a real taste.
Speaker 3: Of that feels like something, It feels like something that they're leaning into that they want to get to, that they want to talk about. I mean, also, if we look at every character in Star Wars, they've gone against usually yeah, they're obviously against the Empire, the Empire is evil. They are like Nazis, Like that's bad.
Speaker 1: I mean, legitimately, they're blowing up entire planets.
Speaker 2: The well off our heroes.
Speaker 3: Will have that moment where they also everyone from amidala Qui, gon jin Obi wan Luke, you know, even like raym Finn Finn especially obviously as a somebody who left the stormshoopers. But they will also have that moment where they turn against the other side because they know that that's also not an immediate solution, like the solution has to come from the people rather than the republic or the empire or imperialism.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the imperfect again. I think that one of the things that and Or brings forth is that one of the primary differences between the Empire and the Republic is while the Republic maybe would prey on a planet and destroy its ecosystem like a bit at a time, the Empire will just do it all alone.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: Right, And that and while they're both and that's not a small distinction, like that's a real that's an actually that's like a major difference. Okay, continuing, so back on Ferix, Marva has passed. B is absolutely fucking distraught does not want to be left alone, wants Marva back. Is actually kind of doesn't truly believe that Marva's passed, seems like she's He's kind of like expecting her to walk back in through the door. Bee watches as Marva's body is taken away, trailed by well wishers from the community. Meanwhile, Sinta from the Aldanni crew and members of the ISB are also watching. They're not aware of each other, but they're both watching, and they're all watching and waiting for Cassian and Or to show up. Cassian and melchie back on Narkeina spot a ship. There's a couple of aliens nearby. They're working a fishing hole. Cassian is like, well, that's an older quad jumper, but I think I can fly it. Mel She's like great. He makes a run for the ship and Cassian has no choice but to follow, but the aliens are canny and they trigger a booby trap which capture the pair in this like gross kind of like snot net Deirdre at ISB he learns of Marve's death. The local Imperials that are stationed there on Pariks are like so the local townspeople are asking for a permit to have a parade for a funeral, a funeral parade, and like should be given to him, and Deirdre is like, yes, give them the permit, because I want bait to lure Cassian and or in. I know that he won't be able to resist going to his mother's funeral, So yes, give them the permit. Back on on Narkina, the Aliens are discussing what to do with Andor and Melchi. They realize that these two are escaped convicts from an imperial prison and that they all share a hatred of the Empire, so they let him loose and they're like, okay, where you want to go? And Or is like, take me back to Namos, the vacation planet. Val arrives at Lusen's shop, vow one of the Aldanni, you know that, leader of the al Donnie crew. So his girlfriend goes to Luthen's shop on Coruscant and wants to talk to Luthen. Claia is like, get the fuck out it. You shouldn't be here. This is not on schedule, this is against the rules. You're being very, very sloppy right now, get out of here. And VAL's like, I got important information I need to speak to Luthen right away, and she's trying to pull rank like I did fucking I did, al Donnie, what the hell have you done? And then Claya gives another one of these like great great monologues where you know where She's like, uh, I don't have lately, I have always. I have a constant blur of plate spinning and knives on the floor and needy, panicked faces at the window, of which you are but one of many. And she's like, but listen, what do you have with your information? And then val tell's with it, Marvit Cassian, and Or's mother has died. Tell Luthen, and Clay is like, I promise, I will let Luthan know. Meanwhile, on Ferrex, the ISP is tightening its surveillance of the and Or Home. Brasso, one of bix and and Ors colleagues on Feryx, is in the and Or home, straightening up, trying to comfort be. The droid again doesn't is unable to like process what is happening, has gone completely emotionally to pieces, and Brasso agrees, I'll stay here at the and Or home with you just for one night. This comsby a little bit elsewhere on Ferrex, Bix is reeling from the effects of the horrific interrogation that she was undergoing. The ISB take her to another room where they question her again, this time, you know, not under the kind of like genocide the sound treatment that they had been giving her previously, and they want to know if they show her a picture if Anton Creeker, this man that they're showing her is the man that she introduced Cassie and and or to and that he met with numerous times. Back on Coruscant, we don't actually know if she says yes, but you would imagine, I mean, like I would just probably.
Speaker 2: Just say yes. Also as well, it's not so you're sorry to that man actual saving.
Speaker 1: Although you wonder, I guess the other thing that would be going through your mind, right is if I give them this, do they need me anything?
Speaker 2: I da.
Speaker 1: Back on Coruscant, Val arrives at Mon Masma's house. Lda. Mon's daughter is apparently a budding young fascist, and we see her, you know, with the rest of her like schoolmates, doing some shit that is very troubling to Mon Mathma. Mon shares with Val the details of the particular buying she's in with regards to the money. Imperial inspectors are nosing around the various Chandriline accounts that that mon has managed, and at some point they're going to discover that there's four hundred thousand credits missing, that she moved, you know, to she moved to the rebels. She tells val that, you know, I reached out to Tay for help, and you know, we've been working to cover up the monies. She doesn't tell her tell her about Davos, which is probably wise, and then she said, but after all, Donnie, everything just got impossible and it's only a matter of time before the imperials figure out what's going on.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And VALA's like, does Lucan know, like how much trouble you're in? And she's like, no, but I don't know. I you know, I don't think so. Mon then tells val that she's kind of found another way out, and she doesn't say his name, but we know that she's because she went down to rocket.
Speaker 2: By Fascist data coming through the door.
Speaker 1: Cyril gets to call at his mother's house from sergent Linus, his old buddy back to the corporation. Cyril's former colleague tells him that Okay, Cassie Ander's mother has died, and that the ISB and various groups on Coroissant, but probably the ies B appear to be taken an interest in this because a lot of calls back and forth from Ferris to Coroissant, and it seems like ANDERI might show up at the funeral back on Niamos and or sneaks into his former hotel room to retrieve his credits blaster and Keris's manifesto, which helpfully the various people who have been staying in this room have not found because he hit it like on a top shelf elsewhere in the galaxy. Luthen arrives at Sawgreer's hideout and guess what, Saw has changed his mind. Saun now wants to join Kreeger on the Spellhouse.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: He was against it. He was like, I don't know this guy. Kreeger used to be a separatist back in the fucking Clone War days. I don't want to lie like with the guy likes up at Now He's like, you know what, let's fucking do it. We get the booty, we get to steal as much as we can from this imperial facility, and as long as Kreeger, you know, follows my rules, We're in on it. Tell him we're doing it, and Luthen's like, no, we can't, and so I was like, no, no, we're doing it, and he's like Lusen's like no, no, no, it's going tomorrow, like it's way too late, and so I was like no, no, no, we're ready now, like we can go. If it's in five minutes, we can go. We're locked and loaded, we're ready to go, and eventually is forced to say, listen, here's why the ISB are waiting on this rate. It's a fucking trap. And he's and Saw's like wait, so Kreeger doesn't know, and he's like no, so Sau said, you're willing to burn him. It's thirty men plus Kreeger, Luthern says, absolutely cold bloodedly, and this ruthless is absolutely shocked Saw, and he says, what if it was me? What if I was going? Luthern says, that'd be different. Kreeger doesn't know who I am, he has no connections to me. ISB can't track Kreeger back to me. He's fucking disposable. And Saw says, okay, well, what if I want to Warren Kreeger. What if I What if I do that? Luthern says, that's your choice, but it would risk everything else that we want to do. It would blow up everything. Think about it.
Speaker 4: The is B.
Speaker 1: If they take down Kreeger, they're gonna be arrogant. They're gonna be confident. There's gonna be a lot of space for us to operate because they're not going to know about us. They're going to think they have everything under control. If we warn Kreeger and he pulls off, they're gonna know that they have a leak somewhere in their information network, and they're gonna tighten up. They're gonna get They're gonna just batten down the hatches. It's gonna be very it's very very difficult. Saw gets paranoid. Now he's like, okay, if you have you have someone with Kreeger at isb Do you have someone here? And he's like, you know, he's wondering, like, dude, do you have someone in my group? Who is it? And Lusan says, yeah, it's Tubes. It's Bensic who otherwise known as Bensic but is nickname too. Yeah, two Tubes and he's like he tells, He tells me everything, but of course this is all a ploy to get everybody excited so that he can then steal Tubes's blaster and point it at at Saw, and Saw is amazed and he's and it is incredible display of Luthen's resolve because Luthen saw it, Nos has to know that he can't get out of this, like, yeah, maybe you kill Saw, maybe you killed two Tubes, but you're not walking out of this place if you do that. And then is like, listen, this is just so you'll listen. Here's all the angles, and he again says all the reasons why they have to let Kreeger go down, and he says anyway, and he finishes up by saying, anyway, if I was ISB wouldn't I just let you go on the raid saw, and Saw says again thirty men plus Kreeger a marching to their desks for the greater good whatever you want to call it, let's call it war, which is a just a chilling fucking le.
Speaker 2: The writing of this, we learn so much as well about Saw.
Speaker 3: This is a this is a big Sow episode because not only do we get this, but one of the aliens that and Or gets captured by is one of the Partisans who ends up being part of Source Partisans.
Speaker 2: At Sy said, OK, so you.
Speaker 3: Get a lot of we're learning not only why Saw hates everyone and is a part and it's just like off by himself, which understandable to be honest, but also kind of who he may be taking with him. So it's it's very interesting to see the way that the Empire and also people like Luthan can kind of push people into action.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's it is a reflection of something that goes on like in real life. You know, we're used to Star Wars framing it as you know, rebels versus Empire, but here we're understanding and through the Clone Wars and Rebels, we're understanding that there were factions, there were schisms, there were different factions that had to team up. Like here saw his having to make the decision of going against some of his ideals in order to team up with someone Krieger, who politically he was absolutely against during the Clone Wars days, who was a separatist who was like not pro republic. And this is you know, I'm reading this book Opposing Power by Elvin Ong, and it's about out how opposition forces build alliances in the face of like autocracies and dictatorships. And it talks about like, you know, successful protest movements in the Philippines and the eighties and Korea also in the eighties, and how these groups, these opposition groups managed to to you know, revitalized democracy in those countries and over throw dictators because all of these opposition groups that didn't necessarily agree with each other politically decided, Okay, we actually need you have a good get out the vote network, I have like the ability to communicate to people on television. Therefore, and we both agree that this dictator needs to go. Therefore, we need to team up. And here we're seeing that happen in this fictional Star Wars, these these groups, you know, Sagrera saying, Okay, I can't do it alone. Fine, I'll team up with Kreeger. He's got to follow my rules, but we can do this. And that that's how we're seeing this rebellion kind of like slowly knit itself together. It's aristocratic people like Monnema and rich folks like Luthen, and these hard scrabble idealists like Saw and other people from who knows where, like Krieger, who politically, probably during the Clone Wars, could not have agreed on one single thing, all coming together now because they agree that the Empire's just got to fucking go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really interesting to see them pushing this message of solidarity across like boundaries and the reality of how many people there are who agree on the problems with people in power, and how few people in power they actually are. That is the nature of the Nachina five escape. There's five thousand prisoners that should even could have happened any time, but they separate people so that they can't do it.
Speaker 2: They fight again.
Speaker 3: They made them fight against each other in this horrific idea of like, this person is doing well, so you're going to be punished for it, which we see in our real life.
Speaker 2: So I love that idea of.
Speaker 3: Reminding people that if you come together, even if you don't completely agree, you may be able to make things a little bit bad.
Speaker 2: It's a good message.
Speaker 1: There's also a really interesting subtext to this entire series that hasn't really been explored that much now, and it is the human supremacist angle to both the Empire. The Empire in particular, but also this kind of nascent rebellion less so with obviously saus partisans which include you know, alien fighters in that group, but you don't the empire is just humans, like it is, humans in prison, even the people they put in prison. They are not interested at all in aliens having any kind of agency in the upper levels of their leadership. And you know, it really underlines how impressive throngs rise in the imperial leadership is because this is not a group that is interested in anything that alien species have to do, or says that's it and can you help us smuggle shit? That's like that's basically it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Actually, now there's the cynical side of me can also say maybe it's budgetary, they just end of the budget fact, but I don't think that's the case because of how thought out this show really feels, and knowing what we know about Tony Gilder's writing, it seems like a very specific choice to highlight the human supremacist angle of the Empire, in particular. In space above Sauce Hideout, Luthen makes contact with Clea. They're speaking in code here because they they you know, they're they're unsure if they've been listened to, so they're using this kind of a dialogue to make it sound as if they're just talking about the shop and talking about the various things that they sell there. She is basically telling him that something is kind of off and you should come home as soon as possible because we need to adjust our plans a little bit. Then the signal breaks off, and it's because it's being jammed by an imperial patrol. Luthen is trying to talk his way out of it as the as the Empire is making contact with him, he gives a phony transponder scan out of Aldron. The ide absolutely checks out, but the imperiors are like, fuck it, we need the practice we need for They're so arrogant. This is like what we saw in Narcina five, where it's just like fuck it, arrest anybody who's going to stop them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's going to still involved? At this point. They're masochists.
Speaker 1: They want to have absolutely, so Luthan preps his ship to make a run for it. He engages his countermeasures, shreds the Imperial tractor Dish takes out a handful of tie fighters on his way to hyperspace. It's absolutely its action scene, it's so good.
Speaker 3: And what he does is like a it's an EU staple where it's he he lets shrapnel out and it is caught in the track to be a minute, destroys the Imperial tractor, which is so cool, like so it's yeah, shrapnel.
Speaker 1: Just it's fucking great. And his it's his ship.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and the the Imperial ship is the they call it a Campwell Class, which is based on Colin Campwell art. So that's a cool nod, which I think our Discord will really like that one because they've been having a lot of fun with ships during this show.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just it's just like a really really great action scene and it lets you know also that Luthen is not surviving all of this time because he's gone. He's got lucky obviously, but he's also he's also thought all of this shit through. He's been doing this a while. Absolutely. Cassian contacts Zen on Feryx and learns sadly that his mother is passed. He's absolutely stunned, and it's an incredible contrast to like the background of Niamo's through on this beautiful beach. The waves are crashing against the beach, this gentle kind of a shushing sound, and he walks over to Melchie and Melchi asks him, like about the call, and Cassian doesn't tell him what happened. Melchie is soaking in freedom, but also Melchie has become radicalized by this, by this whole thing, this the ordeal that they've been through. He says, like, you know, first he asks how many people do you think made it out? And they're like, and Cassian is like, not enough. And then mel She says, Okay, we have to tell people what's going on here. People have to know. We need to split up, double our chances of getting out and getting to someplace where we can speak the truth of what happened and here and let's get out of here. And they bid each other goodbye. Cassie and gives Melschie a blaster and they give this really like, I mean, I got choked up a little the way they part, because you just know that they're going to be together again. You understand also like how meaningful it is that they're fighting together on scaif in rogue one. And then they part and that's it that leads us, that leaves us the finale. What a show. This continues to be some of the best Star Wars any one has ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so good and okay, so let's think about it. The finale's coming up. Seems like it's going to take place at Marv's funeral. That seems like the most likely option.
Speaker 2: I wonder.
Speaker 3: Do you think, what do you think they're building in Nacina five? Because I think a lot of people were kind of in this space where they were like, is it the Death Star?
Speaker 2: Is it you know, something really important? Is it irrelevant?
Speaker 3: Tony Gilroy has recently in a couple of interviews basically kind of said it's not irrelevant. It's actually incredibly relevant to season two.
Speaker 2: And it does. Yeah, he was interviewed in.
Speaker 3: The Hollywood Reporter and he said, they're building season two. It's the spine of season two. I've heard all kinds of things, and it's great, all of the material that the Empire has. I look at everything and think economically, how does this work? Who built Scariff?
Speaker 2: How do you build that?
Speaker 3: How do you build ether? How do you build the Death Star? And the armada of ships? There's a lot of things that need to be built, and there's an incredible amount of material, So to me, what they're building is not as important as the scale of it. But he said they're building the spine of season two, so I'm very interested.
Speaker 1: Well, I this I've been wondering all season as well. And the ship that intercepts luth and made me wonder. Obviously, it could be anything, and it could be the Death Star and it could be ad Ats, but I'm I was wondering if it's not because we haven't seen them yet, some kind of star destroyer class. Oh, that would be really interesting and could be because we haven't seen them yet.
Speaker 2: That's a huge high stakes, but it's not the Death Star. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Tony actually like debunked one of the theories that I loved the most, which was so bleak and definitely was like one, I just think it's so good because it's so in tone of the show.
Speaker 2: Somebody a lot of really popular fan theory was that every room is just building the next room.
Speaker 1: How that is like legitimately the bleakest thing, so.
Speaker 3: Sad, and Tony was like, that's so bleak but so good paraphrasing, But yeah, that was not the case.
Speaker 2: So I love that idea. I think the Star. I think tm x ray looking at the chats, I think we're all in on the Star Destroyer.
Speaker 3: I think that is I think that's a really great call because also one Star destroyer building, one Star destroyer, destroying one Star destroyer trying to stop a Star destroyer. That is a very doable twelve episode arc. I would be very interested to see if that's what it is, especially the reading that we've done the books that we love, like Claudia Gray.
Speaker 2: Lost Stars.
Speaker 3: I always shout it out, but that's a really interesting book takes place over the three original trilogy films with new characters and kind of what the day to day of their lives looks like in the Rebellion and in the Empire, and I can kind of imagine them going for that kind of like here's what, you know, digging into what Andor's done, so while showing the bureaucracy and the little people who are behind these things, the people like Cyril who work doing one job that seems totally disconnected to the horrors of the Empire, but are exactly still tools of it. And the one person in the Rebellion who does even know they're in the Rebellion, who just helps someone out because they think it's the right thing to do, and then that person goes on to lead it. I mean, I think that's so interesting, and I think the Start Destroyer could be a great landscape for that to take place in season two.
Speaker 1: Well, we've got more and Or coming up up next, a conversation with and Or creator Tony Gilroy. X ray Vision is brought to you by Viery, a new perspective on performance apparel. Perfect if you're sick and tired of the traditional old sweatpants and the breathable shorts and all that stuff that just makes you look like you're in gym class back in eighth grade and you hate it. Everything is designed to work out in, but it doesn't look or feel like it. It's so comfortable you'll want to wear it all the time. Seriously, it's more comfortable than whatever you're wearing right now, unless you're wearing Viewory right now, which is possible. The product is versatile, I say again, you can do many things with the product. You could do any activity that you you can think of for the human body using this product. Like what you might be saying, how about running? Okay, that's good? What else? How about jogging, which is just got like a slower version of running. Okay, I can do that. What about training? Got it? Swimming? Yes, that's right. You can enter a completely other medium of the earth and also use the product yoga, weightlifting, CrossFit, but also doing nothing. My favorite activity, just doing nothing, lounging around watching and or on the television. Happier on a healthy planet. Here's a great thing about vori. That's extra. That's just like an extra thing tacked on in addition to all the great feelings you're going to have when you have it on your body. It's one hundred percent offsetting their carbon footprint. They care about the planet. They are also reducing an offsetting one hundred percent of their plastic footprint from twenty nineteen and beyond. We're in twenty twenty two, so you do the math. They're utilizing better sustainable materials for their products. Empower your best active life. You've heard me say it before, but I'm going to say it again. I have two pairs of the Men's Sunday's Performance Jogger in black and burgundy, and I wear them probably three times a week. Dead serious viory is an investment in your happiness for our listeners. They're offering twenty percent off your first purchase. Get yourself some of the most comfortable and versaal clothing on the planet. Viory dot com slash x ray. That's Vuri dot com slash x ray. Not only will you receive twenty percent off your first purchase, but you will enjoy free shipping on any US order over seventy five dollars and free returns. Go to Viory dot com slash x ray and discover the versatility of Viry clothing. X ray vision is brought to you by Indeed. Ambitious hiring goals for the last quarter of twenty twenty two. God love you with a powerful hiring partner, Big goals or no big deal you need. Indeed Indeed is the hiring platform you can attract, interview, and hire all in one place. Don't spend hours on multiple job sites looking for candidates with the right skills when you could do it all with Indeed. Find top talent fast with Indeed suite of powerful hiring tools like Indeed instant match assessments and virtual interviews. Do you hate waiting? Indeed's US data shows over eighty percent of Indeeds employers find quality Candidates whose resume on Indeed matches their job description the moment, the very instant they sponsor a job. Join over three million businesses worldwide using Indeed to hire great talent Fast Start hiring now with a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit. To sponsor your job posting a d dot com slash x ray off for good for a limited time. Claim your seventy five dollars credit now at indeed dot com slash x ray. Indeed dot com slash x ray terms and conditions apply. Need to hire you need Indeed. Welcome to the High Mind, where we explore a topic in more detail with the help of expert guests. This week we are thrilled to have Tony gilroy Oscar nominated writer and director and the creator of and Or. Note. We recorded this interview while Rosie and I were on the road. Apologies in advance if the audio quality is not quite up to x ray vision top top standards. Tony, thanks so much for joining us. I think one of the things that's really knocked Rosie and I out about your story is how it shows how regular people, not necessarily you know, Jedi, space wizards, etc. Would get enmeshed in a fight like this would either rebel or decide to join the forces that would oppress the rebellion. What was the genesis of this story?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it started from, you know, the concept from lucasfilm, which was that they were interested in doing a prequel from Rogue one and doing you know, the five years of Cassian and or story before Rogue one, and so that was that was the very first That was the that was the buy in, and then you know, what's your version of that? I think they tried. They did try a couple other versions of it with different approaches. My attitude about it, sort of from the sidelines along the way, was it seems to me it's pretty obvious what you have to do if you have this incredibly accomplished character in Rogue one, who is, you know, the tactical leader, the person that the Alliance trusts to go on the most important mission possible, and a guy who exhibits all these incredible leadership skills along the way tactically and he changes his mind and he lies and he does all the things that a leader has to do on a mission like that, and then the guy gives his life for every willingly, But who is that person? So my idea is I said, well, you want if you're gonna do a show about that person, you know, either going what's going to happen to, then you want to take them as far away from that as possible five years ago. You want to have a show about becoming. Yeah, on our show in in many ways is about becoming. It's a revolution becoming a revolution. It's about Cacinando becoming a revolutionary and then becoming a leader. It's about a lot of people becoming different things.
Speaker 3: So and when it came to you knew you were going to show the becoming. So when it came to building the world, one of the things that's kind of blown us away. Star Wars has always been analogous, but this feels like a show that has a lot of very radical things to stay about building a rebellion and the becoming of a rebellion, and the kind of world that encourages a rebellion, a world with horrific prison labor, you know, a world that oppresses the most vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Could you speak a little bit about building that world that would encourage Cassian to become the person that we see.
Speaker 4: In Rogue Wan Well, canonically in Star Wars, in the five years, I have a five year tranche of history to take care of. I have a five year calendar, so I know what happens in those five years. I don't really have to spend very much time thinking about anything else. It's and so I have to Those five years are canonically clear to me. There's no question of the established atrocities and motivations of an empire, right, I mean, that's you know, and we know we know how how bitter and horrifying and genocidal the battle will ultimately be, and how you know, devastating it will be to Alderon and everything else. So you know all that. But all that said, I do never start anything with an agenda. I start with characters, and I have my still beliefs that I hope will you know, in some way osmodically you know, work their way through. But I don't ever think about, oh, I have an extra grind about this, I'm going to talk about this or I didn't start Michael Clayton because I wanted to do a story about industrial uh you know industrial uh, you know, atrocity. I started because I was like, oh, the guy is a fixture and what happens is so I'm really interested in the characters and I and I've learned over time that it works for me and it's just what I'm interested. I start very very small, and I build my way out. I know there's been a lot of you know, there's a lot of political I've been watching. You know, the conversation is fascinating to watch all the conversations that the show is you know, engendered over the past couple of months. But and I know the show there's all kinds of people that trying to lay claim in different ways to the politics of the show. But you know, to me, I've been studying history just as an amateur, as an idiot Amazon, you know, a idiots home, a DIY historian for years. And you know, there isn't anything in our show that hasn't been going on for three thousand years. I mean, colonialism, it's same oppression, harm, behavior, torture or whatever. It's all there. So the great thing about this show is you can sort of needle drop and do a I could take we can take something from the it takes something from heres, the Russian Revolution. So that's all. That's the beauty of it, and that's but my way in is really through character, what happens next to the people you care about, and making you care about.
Speaker 1: Them, thinking about your work, you know, from the cutting edge all the way up through the board. I love the cutting edge. Just ye, come on, why I.
Speaker 4: Don't think that's been fully analyzed. Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 1: That's the episode. But you know, like thinking about your working that way. It's often these characters who find themselves, for one reason or another, in a context that they were not necessarily prepared for, and now they have to make do with what they have. You have the ice skater that you know, the hockey player who now can no longer play hockey, now has to do figure skating. You have the spy who you know was brainwashed but now has their agency back and they're cut loose in the world. In Michael Clayton, you have a guy who's you know, the scales fall from his eyes. He's a fixer for much bigger figures and realizes he's caught between these two worlds of power and powerlessness and his morality looking at looking at and or in that in that kind of context, I'm really struck by how it's uh it seems like and I know you say you don't you know, start with you know, with any with any kind of like agenda. But I wonder if you might say, if you might talk about how you build a character and you know where this kind of character falls, and the kind of characters that you've that you've that you've built in the past. I love cutting edge again.
Speaker 4: I mean, hopefully they're all unique. I mean, every single one of them wants to be you know, bespoke and and they want to be their own thing. I mean I think that, uh, I think I've come to believe over time that uh that, uh, the single most important part of this is empathy. And you really you have to be ridiculously empathetic to all of the people that you're building and very and really care about them. Doesn't matter if they're you know, or synchronic or or or or or you know or Doug Dorsey in the in the you gotta get in there, you know, you got to really live it with them, and you gotta really so. I I don't have a holistic answer to that. I have a very personal every one of them is a little temple and they're all you know, that makes it sound pretentious and bullshitty, but like they're all they're all real to me, and and and they all they couldn't sound like anybody other than themselves. And I think you can always tell that when you read someone's writing. You know, if you read a writer and if all the characters sort of sound the same, or if someone's IQ goes up and down based on what they want the story to do or whatever, then you know you're with somebody who's not maybe maybe not. Uh, I'm not not sticking to the rigor of that. Good writing is really where the writers are invested in the people so much that they could only.
Speaker 1: Do what they do.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And something that I found like really unique as from a writing standpoint of Ander is this choice of the arcs and kind of telling these small stories within the bigger kind of season. Could you talk a little bit about that choice and kind of the why that felt like the best route to go.
Speaker 4: Well, a lot of people, do you know, I mean, we started out there with people I remember, you know, it used to be I did my tone to television over the last twenty thirty years, and network television a couple of times try to do things and then the dictum always was, Oh, your first episode has to be your twentieth episode, Your first episode has to be I mean, that was really what the old system was. And then you know, and then you move into a more you know, as the stories have gotten more long term and you know, and more complicated, there's a different kind of structure for how they work. But I don't think that there's any any clear I think everybody's doing everything for the first time now. In many ways, I think we're just at the frontier of streaming and we're watching these huge shows. I mean, these are the beginning of something really new. I don't think there's any rule about what to do. And the way our show laid out, it was like, well, coincidentally, directors direct three episodes for us, the directors come in and they direct a block of three. So it sort of became a weird organizing principle in its own way, and you kind of lean into it a little bit. We're not perfect because you see in seven we drop and seven is a standalone that episode and then a kine and ten and then our last two episodes will be sort of of a piece a little bit. I guess we're not I don't think we're like, we're not. You know, it's not it's not this rigorous, strict thing. It's kind of the way it laid out and kind of the way it worked for the directors. And I think that there are no rules. I think the main rule is do you want to see what happens next? That's yeah, yeah, that's the rule that matters, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, you mentioned dipping your toe on TV before. Obviously this is a TV property. You've moved from screenwriting to directing and now you're showrunner working with directors. What's that transition been like and how does it change your perspective as a person who's telling stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll talk about I want to talk about the directing thing, because that's an old story for you. But the show running thing is nastly because I was going to direct the first three episodes of this and I was like, Okay, that's what I'm here for, and I'll do this and then I'll get them, and then you know, you realize what the gig is. And it was just incredibly naive and and COVID really saved our show because we got we got completely shut down and just everything just went on hold. For six or seven months and I couldn't come back to London. I didn't want to come back to London and direct in the midst. There was no vaccine or anything like that at that point, and it just turned into like, okay, let's and I started rewriting my episodes and rewriting everybody else's episodes and tuning everything up. And came time to hire directors, and it's I've never hired director before. And that's a really that's a really fascinating I didn't take it quite as seriously in the beginning as I think I thought it would be easier. It's very very difficult. You have to watch lots of stuff, incredible amount of stuff. You have to find a way to parse your way through it. There's an incredible amount of competition between shows because there's so many shows. Really hard to get directors, and it's really there's a limited number of directors who have you know, we need directors who have a certain amount of flight time. You know, you can't this is like flying a seven forty seven. You can't just get so so we have a different criteria than they had to be. It was, it was it's very unanticipatedly difficult. We lucked out the first time around. I think we've lucked out this time around. We have we have three new directors that are coming back for this for this the second half. We start shooting in November. But man, it's it's I'll tell you one thing, it's the competition is really really tough to find that not to if you have a smaller show where you could swing away and be loose, you know, but you can't figure out how to do this show on the job, right, It's just like too many people have just drowned.
Speaker 1: So the.
Speaker 4: Then diagram of what you're looking for, it's and then everybody's after the same people.
Speaker 2: So it was very tricky and it was such a like long like you talked about, you know, being shut down by COVID, this new experience of a show where a searching for these directors. How did it? And obviously the nature of filming a show like this is very different to a smaller film or a smaller show. How did it feel once you started to see the fully.
Speaker 3: Finished episodes and kind of see the end of that first part of the journey of making the first season?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, quite honestly, I have to I mean, I've been on it for three years now, and in the middle of it, you know, I'll be honest, you just wondering what did I do to my life?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and I mean, seriously, is it worth it? I mean, many days agoing like what have I done? I could be doing anything I want to do, I can do to right and to play, I could make a movie. What am I doing? What did I do to my life? Is it worth it? And it really really wasn't until you know, about a year ago we really did start to put the episodes together in a kind of way that we could actually sort of and solve some of the you know, really some of the visual effects started coming in, we started do stuff, and my brother John is sort of the over the post production overlord. So you know, once the show started to come together and we could look at them in a whole piece and have other people outside of our little tiny community look at them, it started to be like, oh my god, maybe this was really worth it. And that's the feeling more than anything else, of like, oh my god, I haven't wasted the last three years, because it really there's times along the way where you you could get on a movie. You could be on a movie and you could hate the people that you're in business with, or you could whatever. You could survive it. Now it seems making a movie seem nothing. This is like you're just oh my god, I'm on a whaling version a whaling pot by eighty and how am I ever going to get back to Nantucket?
Speaker 1: You know? Well, Tony, you've made something really really incredible. Yeah, we're big fans of your work, and congratulations on the show. We can't wait to see how it ends. All right, thank you, have a good day. Big thank you to Tony Gilroy and Rosie Knight for joining us on X ray Vision. Rosie, what do you have to plug? Plug?
Speaker 3: Plug?
Speaker 1: Plug plugs.
Speaker 2: Tony's not here, so I will say watch and Or, and the and the Cutting Edge because we talked about so much on that interview. For me, you can find me Rosie Marx at Instagram and letterbox.
Speaker 3: I am here every week. I will be having some cool comment but news to talk about. You can read my writing at Polygon, of Geek, ign, Nudice, a bunch of different places, and I now have officially migrated my website.
Speaker 2: So my website is Rosienight dot com. If you want to look at some check.
Speaker 3: It out.
Speaker 1: Crash Sash web press some quick updates and news. Xtra Vision will be taking a well earned break for Thanksgiving next week. We hope you're all able to do that as well, so catch the next episode on December second, where we'll be diving into the finale of and or lots of and or discussion that week. Plus, we're gonna be hosting a panel and a live podcast recording at LA Comic Con on Saturday, December third, from eleven thirty to one pm Pacific and Panel Room four or two. More information on that to come, and you can find that through the show notes. But again, if you're in LA in the first week of December and you want to come through, come check it out, Come meet us, come talk to us. It'll be fun. Check out the La Comic Con app website plus the show notes for specifics again and tickets if you want to come see the live taping of x ray Vision. Five star reviews. We gotta have them, we love them, we need them, we can't live without them. Here is Matt Morichie Rosie Night is amazing there, great tandem and really appreciate the branding as well. Five stars.
Speaker 3: Thank you Matt, Thank you Matt, and thank you to the people who designed off branding, which is really cool.
Speaker 1: And then finally some other housekeeping notes. X Ravision is going to be going to two episodes at an undisclosed data in the future. We're figuring that out right now, but it's going to be in the more medium term than the longer term, certainly. And thanks to all of you reached out and have expressed sadness at the ending of takeline. It's so delighted that everybody listened to it, and it was a pleasure to give all of you some of the most fun sports content I thought out there, and it will free up time for all of us to do other stuff. Thank you for your kind words. Also thanks for everyone who wished me a happy birthday a couple of weeks ago. That was so delightful, That was so nice. X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy's Rhard Are. Editing and sound designers by Vascillis Fatopoulos, Dilon Villanueva and Matt to group provide video production support. Alex Rollaford handle social media. Thank you Brian Vasquez for a theme music. See it in two weeks.
Speaker 6: Hey, Mike, it's Hisenough for Marine. I want to talking about not Tina five today. First of all, absolutely is despicle what was going on? Then, Mike, you know, we the Galaxy's got to know about the things that are going on. That's absolutely terrible. But I just gotta say this, Keino, First of all, I hope you survived. I don't know if you survived. But just to anybody who's watching this is hearing this right now, swim is not that hard. Guys, like, don't be so nervous about it. He's getting this.
Speaker 1: Here's what it is. Kick your legs and then just like move your arms. That's it. That's it.
Speaker 6: You did it for nine months in your mother's womb. You could do it again. It's not that hard.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying it's not a lot a long distance to swim. But Keino, don't be scared of it. You survive not Keenu five. You can survive this. Just kick your legs, all right. I'll take my hands off to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you,