Speaker 1: Hello, goodbye.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying Colovians are dumb, They're just hard headed.
Speaker 1: Don't talk such rot.
Speaker 3: What am I doing? Well, I'll tell you what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: I'm getting you ready for today's spoiler filled the episode of Your Wrong Friend Oblivion versus Skyrim by reciting some of the iconic voice.
Speaker 3: Lines Hello, whatame is? Jason Cooncepsio and I'm a boo and.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to x viesit of the podcast when we dive to your favorite shows, movies, comic tip, pop culture cover you from I Heart Podcast. We're bringing you three episodes a week every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday plus dudes.
Speaker 1: And today we have a very special episode of Your Wrong Friend in which we hold up our sacred opinions to attack and debate to decide what pop culture thing someone is wrong about. So let's introduce our judges for today, the honorable and distinguished Aaron Kaufman Yarrel of X ray Vision.
Speaker 4: Thank you a boot. You know, I used to be a debater like the two of you, and then I took an arrow to the knee and now here I am well as we are here, I'm very exciting for our debate. These are two iconic video games. And as we are getting ready, Jason, you're here on behalf of all of White Run. You're here to remind us why Skyrim is the best game in the Elder Scroll series. But a Boo doesn't agree. He's here to make the case that Oblivion is actually peak Elder Scrolls. This is your Wrong Friend, and joining me on the judges council is Joel.
Speaker 5: I'm ready for war and blood.
Speaker 4: Let's go, and Carmen is our standby judge in case we hit a tie. Now a quick reminder of our format. We will have our opening statement. Jason will get two minutes to kick things off and share why he feels Skyrim is the best. A Boo will then have four minutes for your Wrong Friend, where he gets to respond to Jason's opening and argue why Oblivion is actually the better game. Jason will then get two minutes for no Your Wrong Friend to respond to a Boo's claims. Then we'll move to the questions in the question round. Joel and I each get to ask each side one questions. That's four questions total, one minute for each question. Then Joel and I will convene for the judges panel, and then we will announce our verdict. And now let's welcome Jason and a Boo to the stage to argue for superiority in the Elder Scrolls franchise.
Speaker 2: First up, Jason, why Skyrim is the best. Skyrim is the best because of the world that it drops you into. There's no doubt, having played and currently playing the Oblivion remake that there are some aspects, particularly the you know, some of the player movement, the player speed, the RP genus of the way the game is played, the ability to combine magic spells and customize magic that is super compelling about that game. It's a tighter story. The main storyline is tighter and is woven throughout the game, I think in a much more efficient way. But Skyrim, the sprawling nature of it, the different worlds that you can discover, just find your way into Blackreach. One of these times you replay Skyrim, the massive, connected underground realm of Blackreach with all its mysteries, and realize that this place is underneath the map of Skyrim, which is in itself huge, encompassing multiple large cities, certainly more large and lively than the Oblivion versions, and you'll understand exactly what I'm talking about, and the lore here is no is no is nothing to sneeze at.
Speaker 5: Either.
Speaker 2: You're dropped into a blooming civil war between the Empire and the storm Cloaks. You get to decide for each side you're gonna you're gonna join. You might join both, you might play each side off of each other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I think if you're coming from Oblivion, you'll have a renewed respect for the Empire, certainly, But this is a game that just puts an entire world at your fingertips at the expense of some of the gameplay depth that you experience in Oblivion. Uh do you love to explore? You're gonna be in Skyrim and one hundred thousand mods and countings for this game make the point for me. The audience has chosen, and they have.
Speaker 4: Chosen Skyrim two one. All right, now a boo. You will have four minutes on the class to make your point as well as respond to Jason. You are good to go whenever you're ready.
Speaker 1: All right. So before I respond to Jason's points, many of which were excellent, I want to start by presenting my sales pitch. On why Oblivion is the best Ulser Scrolls game. So the crux of my argument basically comes down to immersion and the RPG elements in Oblivion. If you, like me, are the type of gamer that loves to escape into your video game universes, loves to be taken on an incredible journey, have memorable adventures, maybe visit unique and beautiful locations along the way, meet lovable characters, then Oblivion is by far your obvious choice. Oblivion is a game in which you actually get to role play. You get to roleplay a character of your choosing that you build. Do you want to be a staff fielding made shooting fireballs and lightning, go for or maybe you would prefer to be a brute swinging a warhammer that's taller than you. You can do that. Perhaps, like me, you're a soft footed thief who snipes his foes from afar before they even see him. Go for it. Oblivion's class and leveling mechanics actually let you play a style rather than Skyrim's jack of all trades approach. In Skyrim, when you can be or do anything, are you really role playing anything beyond a generic overpowered protagonist, Because that's all Skyrim lets you do, and honestly, that sounds like fuss roe boring to me. Oblivion's gorgeous, high fantasy setting also means that you get to visit some of the most iconic locations ever in Elder Scrolls, from the port city of Anvil to the wildly imaginative realm of Madness the Shivering Isles. Name one place in Skyrim that looks or feels any different from every other drab, gray and brown, snowy region in the.
Speaker 2: Game, that's just spaty.
Speaker 1: Finally, I have the floor, sir. Finally. The quests in Oblivion are objectively better and more unique than Skyrim. Throughout the game, you might be transported into a painting to finish a quest, you'll be trapped in other people's nightmares and need to find a way to escape, and in one of the most iconic quests in the game, you get to throw a murder party. Along the way, You're gonna meet a lot of memorable characters. Just to highlight a few, the gray Fox head of the Thieves, killed cool guy Shio goreth weird guy boris really nice guy love him Ultimately. Oblivion is a game for lovers of good stories, deep arbg mechanics, and beautiful worlds, and I would argue that Skyrim is for people who want to just mindlessly swing a sword and not think too hard. Interesting, and with my remaining time, I want to address just some of the notes that my opponent laid out. First of all, I would argue that the civil war that's present within Skyrim is nothing more then set trusting. It's just the backdrop to the game. It has no real world effect on the game itself or the outcomes of the world. The world is barely shaped by those events or the quote unquote choices that you make throughout oblivion. On the other hand, the oblivion gates themselves have a noticeable impact on the gameplay, and when you go through the main story, you can close those oblivion gates, which reshapes the world that you explore. That is something that Skyrim lacks. Also, on the point of mods, I have only a few remaining seconds left, so I'll say this, if your game needs this many mods to be good, then I don't feel like you finish the game in the first place, and your community is doing the work for you. Whoops, I yield the rest of my time.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Some incendiary things there. Goodness gracious, I hope no one from the modding community was listening. Jason, You know, have two minutes to respond to a boo.
Speaker 2: Sure, there's a reason that Grant Have five is still being played now a decade after the game. It's because of the community that a boo so casually insults. The community around Skyrim is not only huge, but it's so dedicated to the underlying mechanics, the structure the world created by that game, that they work for free to create mods that build out the civil war, that put a beautiful sheen on it, that create new quest lines, that create new cabins and things that you can have the marketplace. Because these games are created by creators so that fans can enjoy them. The fact that so many fans enjoy them and want to keep it alive is not, for me a negative point. I think it's a beautiful positive point that speaks to the vitality around a game that is now what fifteen years old or something like that. It wasn't until Bethesda, for some beautiful reason, decided to release this remake that people began to play Oblivion once again in the numbers that can even approach Skyrim, which has not had any kind of meaningful Bethesda led update in many, many years. Skyrim's popularity speaks for itself and speaks quite loudly about what the world thinks. Is the more playable, more vital, more living and breathing world. And that's to take nothing away from oblivion, which is a fantastic five seconds. But how dare you, sir?
Speaker 1: How dare you?
Speaker 4: Oh? Thank you? We have time. We're gonna jump to a little break right now. Sure, we're gonna go level up our stealth and when we come back, we will move into the judges questions. Yeah, and we're back. First up, I like to ask a boo a question, A boo, you spend a lot of time there actually not a lot of time, a very short amount of time, but it was very loud deploring the mods of Skyrim. Do you My question to you, is it not fun for you to play the game where the dragons are replaced by Thomas the tank engine and the enemies are replaced by SpongeBob? Is that not a fun thing for you? You have one minute?
Speaker 1: Okay, this is maybe a very square answer for me, but no, I've never really delved into the Body world. I play the vanilla game, and I find Body frankly to be Maybe I'm starting to sound like an old person, but I find it confusing. How do I install the mods? Is it gonna work when they pass the next game? Is it not gonna work? Can I make it work on my Xbox?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Do I have to play on PC? I find the modding world incredibly confusing, so if I sound dismiss ave of it, it comes from a place of total and utter confusion. I greatly respect all the folks that are putting in countless hours into polishing and adding more to this expansive universe, and I will hand it to Bodesta for creating the mod tools and opening up their game to the modern community. That's respectable. I will know they've done that for both Skyrim and Oblivion, so I don't see that as an argument in Skyrim's favor.
Speaker 4: All right, Jason, my question for you. You talked a little bit about the civil war that's going on the vast map, but I'm coming from Animal Crossing and I really want to know why are the houses in Skyrim better than the houses in Oblivion that you know for your character why.
Speaker 2: Are they better? Well, there's more of them. They are more customizable, with gardens and with trophies, and with weapons racks, and with lots of different knickknacks that you can add to different places. They are spread across the map as they are an Oblivion, to be fair. But I would argue even though a boot I think inaccurately decried the Skyrim map as banal and the same, it spans lots of different environments. You can have a cabin in the snow, you can have a apartment in the side of a mountain in the east. You can have a mansion in the Imperial Capital city like you can do a lot of different things, and every single room is customizable as built is. You can build it and you can move your family in and have the wonder of like some random bard like wandering and play music.
Speaker 4: It's just living in time, all right, Joelle, your questions.
Speaker 5: So I'm gonna give my first question to Jason. Jason, you mentioned the joy of playing Skyrim, but but then a Boo had that great point, Bobby, You're just swinging a sword. What is it about the fight mechanics that outdoes what Oblivion is doing well?
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna I'm not gonna try and argue that the RP genius of oblivion isn't deeper. There's a trade off here, right, and it's the customizable aspect of your character and oblivion versus the depth and richness.
Speaker 3: Of the world.
Speaker 2: What I take issue with is this idea that, like, we're not all just doing sneak Archer.
Speaker 3: In both fucking games.
Speaker 2: Let's let's stop this, sir. Let's stop this silliness and stop pretending that we're doing anything else in both games other crouching through the fucking tunnels of a cave and sniping somebody with a maybe poisoned arrow and some magic both. That's what we're doing in both games. Okay, we're doing it in both games. I would add that there are some cool mods for Skyrim that add wonderful gory death animations slow mo death animation.
Speaker 3: You can't do that, as I think that's time all right.
Speaker 5: Man, Okay for a boo. I take Jason's point of tighter storytelling.
Speaker 3: I'm with you.
Speaker 5: I prefer an RPG style game. I want to make my character, I want to insert myself into the game. But I often find that in most RPG games. That means I am suffering first story. What makes a story an Oblivion strong enough to compete with what Skyrim is doing.
Speaker 1: I think that Oblivion story in every aspect is stronger than Skyrim's. Yes, you get dragons in Skyrim, but in Oblivion you have a wide cast of character, You go to many different regions, You do a number of unique quests. Just take for example, any of the quest lines in Oblivion which are better than the quest lines in Skyrim, Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood in particular. One of the most notable things in those quest lines is that along the way you level up within the Guilt, you are given clear progression, and that gives you a sense of achievement. As you work your way up through a guild, you are introduced to more guild characters and more inner guild politics and drama. And in many of these quest lines you rise to be the top of that of that particular guild. You rise through those rinks. Skyrim, to me, the storylines, the quest lines don't give you that same level of satisfaction.
Speaker 4: Oh all right, wow, wow, we are going to move into our closing statements. Jason, you will get one minute and then a boo will get one minute himself.
Speaker 2: Skyrim is legend. It's popularity speaks for itself.
Speaker 3: It is a.
Speaker 2: Framework around which a vibrant community who I respect, unlike my opponent, has come to breathe renewed life and renewed vigor into a game that has a legacy that is now stretched a decade plus. It has various ways to play. Even though you're going to play as a sneak archer, I don't want to downplay the RP genus of Skyrim, which, while not on the complexity level of Oblivion, is still wonderful with various ways to play a barbarian. You can play a magician, you play a maide, you could play a sword spell. You can play as a sneak archer, you can play as a thief. All of that is wonderful, with wonderful story and a rich and massive world. Tell me anything about Grand Theft Auto five's main story. It doesn't matter, right because you're over there like mugging people. You could do that in Skyrit.
Speaker 4: It's time, all right, Boom, you have one minute for your closing statement.
Speaker 1: All right, So my opponent has made an admirable attempt at peddling the fictitious narrative that Skyrim is a better game than Oblivion. And you know, while I concede that it certainly has its particular strengths as a full package, it fails to deliver the grandeur and heights of Oblivion. And here's where I will rest my case. Oblivion Remaster now exists and is available for you all to enjoy. That game borrows some of Skyrim's strengths, actually many of the things that Jason has pointed out, yet it retains the obvious charms that Oblivion the original game had in two thousand and six. So now to your gamer, you can play a more graphically impressive, mechanically refined, and ultimately better game. Or if you choose, you can run more errands for the Yar Courier of winter Hold, that is, if you can even remember who that is and what winter Hold looks like.
Speaker 4: Ooh, all right, we are going to go to a quick break, and when we return, Judge Joelle and I will begin our deliberation. And we're back. Joel, how are you feeling? Have you leveled up your listening skills and contempt contemplative thinking skills from this debate.
Speaker 5: I've maxed out on listening. I've I've contemplated deeply, and I think I think I have a choice, which shocks me. Which shocks me because both debates are really good. I have not played either game. I've played the game. I have watched my brother plays some of Skyrim, so I know a little bit about Kyrim. I love a dragon and I like the the visual designs of it, and I was like, okay, I love a dragon.
Speaker 4: I was ready.
Speaker 5: I didn't know Oblivion was an RPG case it's something I was paying. I was like, oh god, okay. But then but then Jason was describing the under dark, which that's the the D and D.
Speaker 3: Term for it.
Speaker 5: But you know, I was like, okay, cool that that. And then I was googling and I'm like, oh man, that world looks really juicy. But I think what got me was the Booth argument about the gameplay. I love a self insert game, I.
Speaker 1: Really, I really do.
Speaker 5: And when if you can become the head of guild and shit and then replay it that much, you're constantly doing different storylines as different characters, that's a game that's worth sixty to eighty dollars. So that's a game you put money down for. So I think as much as I do love the visual designs on Skyrim, and as fun as my brother like my brother played Tobably three times all the way through, loves that game, I think I think I'm Team Oblivion. Aaron, where are you at?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: Well, I have played both.
Speaker 2: I have currently fifteen dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say the price. Let's not bring the price up. Also, I will remind the contestant. Sorry the judges, this is just the judges room. The contestants are not allowed in here. I have played both of them, and I've sunk a number of hours into both. But the biggest problem I think I have with this debate is A Boo did not even acknowledge that Thomas the tank engine part of my question. For that, I'm not really sure if I can award that at all, but I do, like I will say, A Boo had a really good point that in Skyrim it's a superhero. You play a superhero. Basically you can level up anything at any time just by doing it, which is a really interesting mechanic. And I like that the more you swing your sword and or you get it swinging your sword. That's kind of like real life. But in Oblivion, I do like that you're not just like all encompassing. You can do everything. You always have swords and spells, et cetera.
Speaker 2: You love a game rule.
Speaker 4: I think at the end of the day, I would probably revisit Oblivion before I revisited Skyrim, if all things were equal, because I have played Skyrim more recently.
Speaker 5: But which which debate?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 5: Which debate? Are you like this is?
Speaker 3: Because I feel like it's different.
Speaker 5: Have you played the game and you're making.
Speaker 3: Up like that game?
Speaker 4: Yes, I have a little bit of different.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I'm coming at this with my own internal biases. I think from the debate side, I think Skyrim is going to get it for me because a Boo, you know, A Boo's side was really good and he talked about the story being really important and Oblivion. But just from his description of the stories, it was pretty similar to the description of the stories in Skyrim, And so I think we're going to be split right here. We might have to call in our tide breaker judge. Yeah, Carmen for a moment, Speaker of the House.
Speaker 6: Carmen, Hello, Hello, Hello.
Speaker 4: Now Carmen, before you bring your decision to the group. Have you played either Skyrim or Oblivion.
Speaker 6: So at the last time, I have never played Skyrim. I played Oblivion when I was eight years old on a two week vacation in Colorado at my grandfather's house, and I used.
Speaker 1: So you're an expert, and I had a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: I have to say I because I love the videos of the Thomas the train.
Speaker 1: Thomas.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 6: Please, I'm saying those Skyrim mod videos are you can spend a lot of time on YouTube having funds. Anyway, I'm gonna have to go with Skyrim for the.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'll never forgive Thomas.
Speaker 4: There you have it. The X Ray Vision Judges panel has come to a decision, and in this debate, we are arguing Skyrim is the better game. We will not be going into details on why we made that decision or what arguments the most, but thank you very much both.
Speaker 1: And I honestly, I don't know if it's from crying or from living.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 5: Engine. I didn't see it coming. I did not see it coming, but I'm excited that we got here. Congratulations Jason on your win.
Speaker 3: Are you undefeated in the ring?
Speaker 5: Did you win last time.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: We gotta start keeping track of who's who's winning and losing. We have Ultimate Champions battle off. Eventually, this was fun. Guys, I love this.
Speaker 1: You can't go wrong with you wrong? Yeah you Skyrim hate just for the bit today, but I love Skyrim so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm currently playing Oblivion and loving it, so you can't go.
Speaker 1: I'm so tempted to redownload Skyrim and replay it. So yeah, you truly can go.
Speaker 5: Some video games.
Speaker 2: If you need, come to me for the mods. I'll tell you which ones are good and they really do make the game great.
Speaker 1: I'll just say that, yeah, yeah, yeah, I just need to know how to install them. It's confused.
Speaker 6: I have a resident evil for Leon Shirtless mod. I got to talk to you about Jason.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 2: In the next few episodes of X ray Vision, we have a summer TV look ahead, and Thursday we're diving into our favorite non star wars.
Speaker 3: For this episode. Thanks for listeninging.
Speaker 2: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason SEPs and Rosie Night and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 4: Our executive producers are Joelminique and Aaron Kurtman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zapar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wack. A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman. Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator