Speaker 1: Welcome The Money in Wealth with John O'Bryant, a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network and iheartradioy, Hey, this is John O'Bryant and this Money in Wealth podcast series on iHeartRadio and the Black Effect Network. I want to thank you all for making this book, this podcast, or the book top one hundred Amazon. By the way, Capitalism for all you haven't got a copy, get it. I want to thank you all also for making the podcast Money and Wealth top two hundred on top two hundred and fifty on every continent in the world, top forty to fifty Entrepreneurship in America, and top one percent of all podcasts. And we are getting into season three with some powerhouse guests. I don't normally have guests on the podcast. You know, it's normally me just pouring into you for forty five minutes. But when I have a guest, you know it and they are special. My guest today is Steve Steineu.
Speaker 2: That name in this you're in banking, probably he's got a household name to use.
Speaker 1: If if you're in banking, you know, he leads one of the biggest banks in America, Huntingdon Bank. And if you don't know who he is. Well consider yourself lucky, fortunate, blessed, and soon enlightened and full disclosure. Steve is a friend of mine and I even consider him a mentor of mine. He's done two things to me and for me that I don't know if I told him personally.
Speaker 2: That showed me who he was. Number One.
Speaker 1: When I was trying to build operation and hope and take it to us next to the next level, he agreed to join the whole Global Board of Advisors, our inaugural group as a founding board member, and he stayed on for a year. He was busy, didn't have time to do it. He was on for a year, then he left. But him coming on the board set the standard. And now we have the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City President, We've got all these luminaries, fort the CEO of Delta Airlines, all these they call him big ballers and shot collars from all sorts, all walks of life. But they wouldn't have done that had they not found credibility with their peers being on the board. So by him saying yes early on and showing up the board meetings, I remember he discouraged me from doing virtual meetings. He said, you know, he's used to showing up in person and being present. And I learned a lot from him backing me. The second time he did something that was extraordinary was he was a governor of Ohio who was a Republican. And I'm not I'm not a partisan player. But you know, folks would assume, maybe for the work I do, that I'm not a Republican. I don't know why. They just that I'm going to be fair. I'm an independent, but I'm not. I'm not political in any way. And that didn't matter to Steve. Steve thought the work that we were doing is important and Republicans and Democrats need to know about it. And I've served three presidents from both parties, Republicans and Democrats, Bush Clinton pre and post president or during presidency and post and President Obama. President Bush is where I got actually the most work done. Oddly enough, and Steve Steinauer said, come with me, and we left his office and we went through what I call an underground tunnel. It was a connected walkway to this capital. And he took me to the Governor's office and put his arm around me and said, this is my guy. To the governor and we had a great relationship as a result of that, he and his governor, his then governor, and I just thought that was very special. Again, these were two things that were done with no wh he was looking just quiet leadership. And Steve, I want to just thank you publicly for backing me and backing the work because you thought it was important to do.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, and I still do, John, I still think the work is very important in some ways, even more important today. But it was kind of you to lower the bar and let me join your board for a year and get into that founder circle. It was it was I think very helpful for the team, both board and your team at the time because I remember our first meeting. I offered you a couple of thoughts about how to engage the directors get the benefit of the mind share there, and you did that expertly. And that's when I knew I've made a contribution. I can now retire and let you give that seat to someone more worthy. So happy to have had that time with you, and of course over the many years subsequently in different forums and in different undertakings, but you were kind to let me sort of give you that personal escort over to you're a rock star. So we walk over to the Leverage J six office and the governor was, I think, a great governor and also he's a good friend. I was just talking to him. Man and a good man, great heart, very religious, very very ethical, and it's done wonderful things for the country throughout his service over time. And I knew the two of you would connect, you just like that, because you cut out of the same cloth. You care about people, you care about outcomes, and you want to help. And it was one of these rare moments for me to be able to see an introduction come together with such a dynamic impact.
Speaker 1: So and we need more of that, like my pleasure, Steve, thank you. We need more leaders like Steve Steinauer in the world today.
Speaker 2: Know what mean by that?
Speaker 1: He takes me to a Republican governor's office when he didn't have to do it, and then he sponsors the Urban League in Ohio for a speech where when I showed up, he didn't just sponsor the speech. He's at the dinner with the Urban League leadership. He's he's home. This is these people know him, he's their friend. So he can go from black to white, or rich to poor, or conservatives liberal or the other way around, and get respect in both rooms. Now you may say, Okay, there's a lot of people I know who can do that. Really do they do? They run a bank with two hundred and eighty billion dollars plus in assets, and my guess is the assets have grown beyond that number. But the last number I had of their asset site for hunting And Bank's two hundred and billion dollars. And Steve Steinhauer and his group have partnered with Operation Hope on a program that we call Lift Local Business Huntingdon's Left Local Business program that's directed two hundred and forty six million dollars in book loans to folks from underserved communities for small business sixty million of which that we have tagged we have identified to black owned businesses alone as three and eighty six small businesses serve twenty four hundred and twenty active operational business entrepreneurial training courses used. So we are active partners with Hunting the Bank. Let me give you a bit of background from Steve and then let him cut loose here with wisdom, because you're going to get a chance to hear from a chairman CEO of a top bank in the biggest economy in the world and learn something about how this system actually works. So he's chairman, president and chief executive officer of Huntingdon Bank or Bank Shares and president CEO of hunting A National Bank.
Speaker 2: Now he will hopefully unpack what this means.
Speaker 1: But essentially one is a holding company and one as an operator is where the operating bank. You would know Huntington National Bank. That's where you if you're a client, that's where you do business and where you interact. He's led the bank to two thousand and nine. The bank was born the year after the Freedman's Bank, by the way, in eighteen sixty six. Before hunting And he was managing partner at Cross Harbor Capital Partners. Early in his career, he was president CEO of Citizens Financial Group. I actually might have met him, I think at Citizens Financial Group.
Speaker 2: I think in Boston. I I'm mistaken. It was a division anyway, and he was.
Speaker 1: An executive vice president vice president at Bank of New England. He started out as in public service as an analyst of the US Treasury Department. They later worked for the FDI C Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation also serves on the board of directors. A bit of bath in body works. I want to get my product from my wife, by the way, from from there, and he has a reputation that is rooted in compassionate, ethical, results oriented leadership, and I can personally certify that that's absolutely the case.
Speaker 2: I can.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna talk more and more about the credentials as we go in the conversation. But let's get into this Steve Steinauer. First of all, let's get a bit of the backstory.
Speaker 3: The Huntington family goes back many many decades. In fact, a couple of centuries. The governor of Connecticut who signed the Declaration of Independence was a Huntington, Samuel Huntington, and the family was quite large and very extensive in terms of their activities throughout the US. And so Huntington Ingersoll in Mississippi, the largest shipyard in Mississippi, employees about twenty thousand people. That was a Huntington family member. Huntington, West Virginia, Huntington Beach, California.
Speaker 4: The Huntington were very very large into the trans Continental Railway in California. Huntington California, California, and so they're the art museum out there, and the one of the family members ended up hunting the beach. One of the family members ended up in eighteen sixty six, a very physically large gentleman who wanted to the.
Speaker 3: National Road went from Washington, d C. To Columbus, Ohio, and it stopped in Columbus at that time, and so this is where goods and merchants and services flowed through. It was either the Erie Canal or the National Road. And he felt there was an opportunity to do good business and help people. And Honey at that time was was born, and Columbus was a you know, it was the end of the road. It was. It just wasn't that much. It was probably a small town when he started, but it quickly became a city in a city of some importance to the country. The National Highway ultimately extended to Indianapolis. But the the the the the effort here by P. W. Huntington and then his sons extended the impact of the family for many decades. And the family always was very good to the community. So the library was started with some funding by the Huntington Bank and family and others. Of course, one of the larger nonprofits here, it's been in existence well over a century does Meals on Wheels, does a variety of public service providers. Was founded in the living room of the hunting one of the Huntington family members, and we've had a board member on that board for over a century. So there's this deep legacy of trying to be good to the community, give back and those Uh. That DNA that's been formed is frankly part of what attracted me to the company. It's important to the community that we serve the community or I mean the community, I mean the full community, the entire community, black, white, et cetera. And uh, you know, people of high income and people of very low income or even no income. Think about those that are homeless or uh, you know suffering other other other debilitating issues. So, uh, this legacy, I think is imbued in many of our colleagues. We have very long service colleagues there fifty we've had sixty year colleagues who've worked here.
Speaker 2: And so this.
Speaker 3: Set of values transcended me. I inherited it. I've tried to enable it, tried to further build upon it. But it's not something I created these Midwest values, you know, religion, family, respect, service to country. These are values that I didn't create. They're present throughout this region. And yet our company, as a consequence of how we've operated over now one hundred and sixty years, has built a bit of a brand, a reputation, a halo if you will, about trying to be good to people, trying to help businesses, and certainly trying to help the communities we serve.
Speaker 1: And when I think about folks under who you lead about brand Standardchho's a good man An and others, they have that same spirit and that, with all due respect, comes from the top. It comes from you, Steve, and I'm not gonna let you get away from the fact that you are leaders.
Speaker 2: I want other people to model your leadership. And also.
Speaker 1: Their sense of showing up being PhD dudes as well as PhDs in their mindset is reflected in how you show up in community. When I showed up here in Atlanta to give a speech for the Columbus Partnership, you were there in the room. I mean, here's a chairman CEO one of the biggest banks in the world who took time to come to Atlanta just look at Atlanta as a model. And then I went to Columbus again to speak for the Columbus Partnership, which is in and of itself a great partnership for how city build itself with private public partnerships. I walk in the room there once again there's Steve statt Steinauer. It's not like you're not busy. Why do you put a premium on showing up? How does that relate to the image that you have of this being the people's bank? How does this cross pollinate with how you run the bank. And finally, in this set of questions, what's the purpose of bank? And how do people what's a cheat sheet? People can cheat sheets? Probably wrong way to say a banker? What is a what is a easy lesson that people can grasp of? How to get the attention of their banker?
Speaker 3: Five questions? Let me start with the fourth one. UH, if I may right, I believe that the company, the bank has a purpose. I fundamentally believe that, and we express that uh in our purpose statement. But we talk about it all the time. I'll talk about two groups senior leaders in two days.
Speaker 2: We're here to.
Speaker 3: Help people lead better life, help businesses thrive, and to make the communities better, better, stronger. And we have our business model is that the intersection of commerce flows of money, and so that puts us in a position where we can extend ourselves, try to do the right thing and help people and businesses. You reference Lift Local Early program we've done in partnership with you and your team, which has been over by the way, and you know, these are efforts to get into the neighborhoods and make micro loans. And so when you make in two hundred and fifty plus thousand and fifty plus million dollars a micro loan, that's a lot of micro loans. But we've done some partnership with you because it would be like giving away money if people didn't understand. And this is what they get through the training program that you offer that creating a business needs to have certain elements. You show them the essential elements. We give them loans. Now these are SBA loans. These are loans to businesses that are in most cases just starting, so the credit access generally wouldn't otherwise be there. And and and yet the performance over time because these people have been trained, they've been educated, and that's a big word. Education's literacy right, that that has spawned jobs in neighborhoods that otherwise wouldn't be there. It's created business owners who wouldn't otherwise be business owners. It's it's it's it's capitalism, as you describe it in your your various books, but particularly I think in your new book, which I had the privilege of reading an advanced copy of John So I think, well, I'm trying to but you know, I'm a banker, so it's I'm slow and everything, but but I think those elements are essential.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 3: Now that's two of your five questions. But for people, you know, the fifth one was it's really important to get educated. It's really important, whether it's financial education or anything else, to keep learning, to challenge yourself. And there's more and more capacity to do that now with these AI tools and and and and and other digital means which didn't exist when you and I were growing up. We had to do it the hard way, right. I remember the first time somebody said to me you should make a budget. I had no idea what a budget was. My family were blue Clollars. They didn't have a budget. My father was an alcoholic, you know, he didn't have a he wasn't functional to be able to put a budget together. So you learn these things over time, but you you have a persistency about it. And you've used this word before in various forums where you don't fail if you don't quit, and so that persistency is really important.
Speaker 1: And by the way, that's a Tony Wrestler quote. I'll give good, We'll give credits due one of our dear friends, Tony Wrestler is that if you don't quit, you can't fail.
Speaker 2: One of my partners and friends continue on Steve.
Speaker 3: But that's that attitude of willingness to learn, take some risk, do the right thing, work hard. As you we were talking before you started taping. You know you're working eighteen hours a day, and you've been doing it for so long it's like part of your life rhythm, right to a certain extent, not quite the same hours, but to a certain extent. That's the way I've embraced the opportunity of being a banker, and I know others do and their different different career pursuits. It's a privilege to be able to do the things we do. Think of the millions of people you're helping. In our case, hundreds of thousands of businesses and maybe a couple million people. But you know, we make a mortgage loan, that's helping somebody do. I'll make a home improvement loan, give them all a loan, start a small business. We're the largest SPA lender in the country by volume. These things matter.
Speaker 2: Slow that down. Say that again, you're the largest what.
Speaker 3: We're the largest SBA lender in the country by the number of loans we make, and.
Speaker 2: So these things that's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: So we help. We're in the position where we can help a lot of people and a lot of businesses. And so there's a great sense of self satisfaction, a great sense of pride in my colleagues who do all the work. Anyway, I'm just a show horse and letting letting these results flow through. So there's a shareholder return as well in the equation. But you know, do you and you've said this before, doing well by doing good, it's this balance. It doesn't be one of the and I believe that. I've always believed that.
Speaker 1: So Steve, I got to correct him a couple of times Steve. Steve said, oh, I'm a slow and I'm trying to get around. Look, here's the endorsement in my book from Steve stein This is my newest book, Come About Big, Fastened the Draw.
Speaker 2: It's my newest book.
Speaker 1: Steve's already he made sure that his support for what we do was front and center. So when you get the book, turn to right to the front and you'll see Steve Steinauer's endorsement of the book. Johna's focused on exactly the issues we face today as a society and a challenge and the challenges of aligning our goals and institutions and partnership to build the next stage of growth and opportunity for all Americans. Inclusive economics can be our future roadmap for the dreams of prosperity, must be attainable and aspirational for hard work, education, and shared values. He shows a compelling path forward at a time when we need to come together. What did I describe him as the guy who was at the Urban League meeting, and he was at the Republican governors meeting. And I see him at the White House. I see him at your house trying to financi your ouse. I see him in community, I see him at the Columbus Partnership. I see him showing up in his own family. And so why is the People's bank, because you know he's a top twenty bank in America, the artist SBA lender by volume. I didn't know that he's They've they've done two hundred and fifty give or take two hundred and fifty million dollars with operation and hope in this Huntington's Left local business program that we're partnering on to do micro lending for the least of these God's children, because every big business was once a small one.
Speaker 2: So but at the core of.
Speaker 1: This, as you've heard, he acknowledged without any prompting, his own person, part of his own personal background, his decency, his accessibility. He can't lend money, can't be a good lender unless he has his hand on the post of the community. Let me give you say something that Steve won't. And then I want to go to your background, Steve. Uh, background and banking background in banking, personal background and professional banking or banking has it works just to.
Speaker 2: Tea that up.
Speaker 1: An entrepreneur needs a banker, and the banker needs the entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The Banker's gonna say and the attorney's gonna say ah, slow down, don't do that. Don't do that. Don't do that. That's their nature. The conservative, by nature they're supposed to be. The banker keeps the entrepreneur from running off the road and into a ditch or into a wall. Uh. The entrepreneur and attorney only prosper if the banker. Sorry, the banker and the attorney only prosper the entrepreneur uh is successful. Conversely, the entrepreneur needs the fuel and the protection from what will be the banker. The entrepreneur and the accountant without capital with out banking, and banking is to Wall Street what Wall Street is to the biggest businesses in the world, which is a source of capital. And so this is a mutually beneficial relationship. But the entrepreneur's gonna be frustrated a little bit by the banker tapping on the brakes, and.
Speaker 2: The banker's gonna be frustrated and bemused.
Speaker 1: A little bit by the entrepreneur who's got his foot on his or her foot on the gas. But this constructive friction, this dynamic tension, is precisely what makes the engine go. Everybody sort of respects each other's role. My job is to make that banker. Steve's bankers and his example comfortable with me that I'm a good credit risk, that I'm not going to embarrass them, that if there's a problem, I'm gonna tell them first and not let and then I'm gonna find out by themselves that if they're challenge they wanted to chase me, I'm gonna call them and work out a restructuring or payment relation. I have to have credibility. Credit till comes on the Latin would work. Credit comes a lot to work. Credit till which is credibility, and capital comes a lot to work. Copy toask knowledge in the head. I've got to have enough knowledge and enough credibility. So the banker says, this is a good credit risk. Now did I have that right? Or do you need to correct me with any of that?
Speaker 2: Steve?
Speaker 1: Number two, how does what I say expand into the broader context of banking? And number three, you can do this anyway you want your personal story, how does it inform everything else that you do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: You got number one right. That is the nature of the business model. We're looking to lend. If you will rent money, right, extend alone a lot of capital. It's used to create income hopefully wealth over time for individuals and businesses, but that base level of the loan plus some interest gets repaid. So capitalism at its essence, and I think this is really important for us as a society to make sure that capitalism becomes accessible to all and it flows, It just flows. So that's number one. Now, I think John, the nature of our our work and sort of the way I was brought up have parallels. My grandparents had a lot of influence on me growing up. They My grandfather worked until he was in his late seventies. He was a blue collar worker and never made much money, but he found pride in doing work, and his compliment to you would be if you're a worker, not not if you're out having fun or do you know, it's did you did you do a good job? That always resonated with me, and that became part of what motivated me early in my career. And because I didn't know better, I didn't know that, you know, the probabilities of me being a CEO of the tenth largest commercial bank in the country were almost infinite, you know, one and ah, you know, a couple hundred plus million, So I didn't didn't think about it. In the terms of playing the odds here. I just wanted to do the right thing. I wanted to learn, I wanted to get better, and I still have those you know, that yearning and just like you do, which is why you do what you do. You're going to help people. I think throughout your life, right when your life's over, if you are in that last moment, I suspect you will be helping someone. You know, your family, of course, but beyond your family, you'll be helping people because that you have that in your body, in your spirit. You have that insatiable desire to make an impact. And you've done it throughout all your life. You've done it since you were nineteen. And for me, it took a little bit longer to start because I was unclear what I wanted, although I knew I wanted some of these elements, and I wanted to move out of a small town. I didn't grow up in la like you did, and so I didn't know what a big city. A big city to me is, you know, five thousand people it was at the time, but you know, so things progress and you learn and you you you you know, you create relationships, you hopefully can find people like you, and hundreds of thousands of people who watch your videos, who watch you on YouTube, who listen to you. Now you know you're impacting and some of what you say and do they'll follow. And so you know you have this incredible opportunity now with your podcast to impact lives around the world. And I know that for you, it's very motivational.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I want it is very motivational.
Speaker 1: And every time I talk to you privately or publicly, I'm inspired by you. I want people to understand two things before they get off this podcast with us today. One your backstory, which we're gonna get to no matter how many times I have to ask you, but we can get to that in a moment. I really want to drill down to how do you get become such a nice, decent human being that I actually like and respect. But before we get to that, please unpack as best you can the mystery of banking for the general audience.
Speaker 2: What are some.
Speaker 1: Just misnombers or presumptions or mistakes of understanding misperceptions about banking that we can clear up right here, right now to hopefully help to set people free.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, John, you touched on this a little bit earlier in terms of how you you you act right, if you're We view it as a relationship and a factor of trust, and if there's an issue, you'll communicate it. If there's a problem, you'll work to solve it. Those elements of a relationship are so very important. And it's harder as these banks get bigger and and you know, are the pace of life accelerates around us. But I think that's still the essence of good banking and good business people and relationships. Technology enables, but it's people in relationships and so connecting and you know, your word is your bond, and and it is for me. I can't legally do business on a handshake, but if I could, there would be people like you I would do it with. Can't do that anymore, but we can connect with each other and look at each other, get a general understanding of what you're hoping to achieve, look at it, maybe a little more in depth, depending on what the aspiration and need is. And then you know, we've got to document it with a legal document. But when we say we're going to do something looking at each other, making a handshake, whatever it is, and we do it, we do it. The rest of it's a formality. So I think that approach of building credibility and trust is really important. I was sitting do one story. I was sitting at an event we had a couple of years ago, and one of the retired Supreme Court state justices here said she loved banking with us, and I said, thank you. I thought it was one of these like obligatory things. She's at our events, she's saying it, and I said, no, I really do. And I said, well, tell me why you do. Because I couldn't go to college unless I borrowed money, and my mother went to every bank, and you were the last stop. You were the last stop. If you didn't make that loan, I wasn't going to college, right. And I don't hear that a lot, but I hear it with some regularity where what we've done has made a difference. We have a program that we talk about in our mortgage lending where we try to make it real for our colleagues. It's called a home not a file, because you process hundreds of thousands of mortgage loans, but when you connect it with the video of why that home was important to that individual, oftentimes it's a first home. It it you can't help but be drawn in. You're you're you're obviously making a loan and you're doing doing your work, but you're impacting lives and it could be a family, could be somebody el rely, could be a vetteran, it could be somebody disabled. You're impacting lives. So we are blessed with the nature of the business we do. And that's what I find so inspirational. And for me coming from a like a very rural background, blue collar. You know, if you said CEO, I, you know, it could have been a donut for all I knew. I had no idea what that was growing up. And so it's this steady learning and willingness to engage with others and against the value set of trying to help people. And I think our industries replete with I know here at Huntington, our colleagues feel that way. They want to help, they want to do the right thing, they want to help people. And uh, that's why we talk about a purpose statement so often.
Speaker 1: So something's odd about the way to the audience, they will hear it, not odd for me. They will hear what you're saying, and they just they're going to a lot of the audience members going to scratch their heads because they're like, no, wait a minute. This guy's basically saying he wants to make loans, he wants to provide access to capital, that if somebody's reasonable and trustworthy and all that stuff, he's going to make them alone. But aren't banks, you know, discriminatory? That's what they've heard. Aren't banks racist? Is what they've heard. And what I would say is, if you're dealing with a bank one hundred and fifty years ago or two hundred years ago in America and that bank was family owned in a small town in the South or wherever, or maybe even the Midwest, if that was a small, family owned bank, they might have been had some interesting views in the world, and they were basically only lending to their friends and family members and business owners that they knew, and they were of the size they could do that, and they could make money just on recycling that capital amongst their crew of boutique businesses and whatever. But banking, I'm saying this, but making a statement. This is the statements leading to a question, Steve. But banking has changed.
Speaker 2: In my view.
Speaker 1: Banks now are now mostly publicly traded Uh, they're highly regulated by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, by the Federal Reserve in some cases. Going to meet the FED chairman actually later this week. I think it's a good man by maybe in some cases by the o SEC the Office the Contra of the currency, in some cases by a state regulator, and the consumer protection Consumer Protection Agency also in some cases and in the SEC also possibly securities exchange because they're publicly traded. And I've got the banks, I mean everybody essentially, if you have a diversified portfolio, you've got banks shares in your four oh one K plan. The bank has to make loans if they're going to be profitable and successful. They can't afford to do it was they were. If they were backwards at the leader ship level, they can't. If they were not a stage state Steve Steinauer, they were the opposite of Steve.
Speaker 2: They couldn't afford to do.
Speaker 1: Racist policies, to be blunt with it in twenty twenty six, because there's too much competition and you'll go out of business because racism is a bad business model. And before you answer that, I'm gonna answer a question that you didn't that just below your pay grade. Let me just say this banking is basically administrative costs, well, cost of savings, costs of the money to say it's a savings account. Administrative costs, let's say two percent on top of that, uh, and then profit let's say that's three percent whatever, pick a number, and that combined is the cost of capital. And they want to make that rent that out. As Steve said, he want to rent it out, rent it out, and he wants to make some assurances. Bankers want to have some insurance. They've gotta get it back because they're just renting the money and they have to get it back, so they could rent it out to somebody else, and they need that profit that's inmbedded there? Did I do a decent job and going over two hundred years of banking and why banking has changed such that they should listen to what you're saying now about being the people's banker.
Speaker 3: Well, I think there are a lot of people like me in the industry, so I'm not special by any stretch. So begin with that. But the nature of what we do you describe very accurately. You know, these bank branches, there's a certain amount of cost in running the operation. So when we're renting money, it's the cost of the deposit, what's the interest paid on it, it's the overhead, and then there's a profit margin. But the nature of what we're doing is very competitive at thousands and thousands of banks and even more credit unions, and so the the the impetus to make more loans is in the business model. It's in the business. It's inherent in the business model. Good loans, so loans that will ultimately get repaid. And so whether it's a bank or credit unior, some other financial institution that does this type of business, I think there's a capacity inherent to extend credit and we certainly view that as an opportunity. Now we build relationships. We don't just make loans. We have checking accounts, we have credit cards or debit cards. Maybe have a mortgage or a home improvement loan. Maybe it's a small business loan or an SBA loan. Maybe we take care of some of the financial planning and investments that the family or the business wants to. Those sorts of things all add up to a relationship. And that's the nature of our business as opposed to well, we only make loans or we only take deposits. And so that comes back to people and relationships, and if you're trying to help people, if you're trying to look out for what's in their interests as well, because the better they do, the better we do. The better the communities we serve do, and the people in those communities, the better we do. We have some amount of market share every place we're doing business. The better that market does, that geography, that town, that city, that region, the better we do. So there's a lot of parallel interest in this equation. And I'm a big believer that in capitalism and that capitalism will continue to evolve. It will continue to I hope, have a conscious it'll continue to make opportunities available for people of all races, of all income walks of immigrants, and people that have been here multi generations.
Speaker 1: The Lift Local program in the context of what you just said, could be viewed, and this is I'm thinking about my new book Capitalism for All and its theory, it's philosophy of inclusive economics.
Speaker 2: Growth of market share could be views.
Speaker 1: Not only is it moral and the right thing to do, not only to help you comply with community investment actor or what other acts might be appropriate, but primarily, sorry, I'm thinking this, this is a business development activity. You're growing you like you're doing a research and development and business development for an emerging market. You're hoping. I hadn't put this together into this interview. Actually, Steve, as you were talking, you're hoping. My guess is you're hoping.
Speaker 5: That these these micro loans build a relationship with you and grow their business and join your portfolio as a mainstream slaw business loan, and then.
Speaker 1: Then go parallel park on individual family checking accounts and savings accounts, and parallel park and a home mortgage as they become a homeowner and multiple homeowners in that family, as they build wealth in parallel park in the investment banking group at Huntington, in parallel park in the private banking group, as you built well in parallel park with the investment management section of the I mean, am I getting this right? I mean, it's it's it's it's enlightened self interest.
Speaker 3: It is, it is, and it's it's in this umbrella though, of doing good, helping people, helping businesses. And so that's what your book on capitalism and what you've shared about enlightened capitalism over the years, all about this isn't a handout, This isn't a give away, right. This is intended to make good decisions that benefit people in businesses, but also benefit banks or other firms as they go forward. We don't have to be limited by historic thinking you used, you know, century and a half, two centuries ago, you know, lending just to people you really knew. There's a lot more information available now. The benefit of Lift Local and the training program you provide your team does is that there is a credible, third party national business resource available to help people understand what they need to do, what the expectations are if they're going to create a business. And it's not for everyone. I mean it's really hard, really hard. You were talking again about eighteen hours a day. Instance, you're nineteen. A lot of people, our children look at me and say, I don't want to work that hard, which is their decision. You may have something similar cousins or family members.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, oh yes, right, But.
Speaker 3: For me it's a privilege. I don't see it as work. I see it as something I'm fortunate to be able to do. And I think you feel the sandwich one and.
Speaker 1: I'm the most successful financially successful people in my person in my lineage, my direct lineage, going back to slavery to present. My second grade grandfather was a slave, as example. And my wife's the most successful person in her lineage, and her father is the most successful person in his lineage and mom, and we have a responsibility being in those positions to be compassion to be empathetic, but not to give handouts, because that doesn't help anybody.
Speaker 2: You want to get a hand up and you and and.
Speaker 1: To teach people how to to do for themselves and become independent. And yes, give them a little seedcorn, give them a little encouragement, a little support, but at some point you got to do for self. And one of the things I want the audience to understand is the one of the reasons that Operations Hope chose to not be bank itself. Well, first of all, I didn't want to compete with I didn't want to become the new Freedoman's Bank and compete with my friend and partner Steve Steinower, a hunting bank or whoever else, right, Uh, But I could be a unique catalyst as an educator, as a counselor, as a coach to get the people who are qualified morally but not mathematically. Their credit score stinks to me, he can't. Steve can't say it. He'll be sued. Somebody will find some way, some way to sue him. Is he's blunt, But I can be blunt. I'm not regulated like that. If your credit score is told from the flow up, Steve can't give you a loan, no matter how much he likes you. And if your in the average credit score for underserved population six hundred six point twenty six point forty for big swashes of this country, of all races, does not allow Steve to give you a decent home loan at fixed rates, at prime rates. He can't do it. He needs you at sixt eighty to seven hundred. He can't give you a small business loan because that's riskiest credit he's got, is a small business loan, even with an SBA guarantee. He needs you up in that seven hundred range if possible. Maybe he can make some exceptions, but you shouldn't be looking for the exception.
Speaker 2: You should be looking.
Speaker 1: Is better to underestimate and overperform than underestimating or to overestimated, underperform and Steve's and his people are looking for character and not just credit. And if they see you aspiring, seeing you working hard, seeing you trying, they may give you that secure credit card or that account that you actually don't really qualify but you're run on the edge, but they want to see you then perform and prove that they're right that go to the next level, then the next span your credit line. And I mean that's how it was for me coming up when I you know, and and we have an unsecure credit line, seven figure credit lines now, but I started out with a twenty five thousand dollars credit line and operation to hope and a three hundred dollars credit card for me. So I'm telling you as a bridge to Steve and the one of the twenty largest bank in America and ten fardest commercial banks, I want you to be his client. I want him to know your name. I want brand Standards to call you and say, I'm just checking on you. That's one of his top people at the bank. I want Stacy to know who you are in the community. But you've got to do your part to meet him half way. Get the credit score up, the debt down, savings up, so you meet his criteria so he doesn't criticized by his regulator, the bank regulator. Did I explain your conumdrum and your opportunity reasonably?
Speaker 3: Will? You did, John very well? As usual, you know this so well. But you also offer a service to try and help people improve their credit score. And so let me turn the table here. So would with a question for you, would you share with your listeners some of the key ways they could do that, including working with your team. But there are there are a couple of steps in particularly, I think that they'd be common denominators. Why don't you share those if you want? Please?
Speaker 2: U sure?
Speaker 1: So when you walk into a hunting in bank branch, and by the way, what how many states are you?
Speaker 2: And Steve?
Speaker 3: Twenty one?
Speaker 2: Okay? And how many branches do you have?
Speaker 3: Just about fifteen hundred? And how many employees do you have? Twenty seven?
Speaker 2: So? And did I get the asset size right? Tw it and eighty.
Speaker 3: Billion two in an eighty plus. Yes, that's what I love.
Speaker 1: When you get the power you don't need to use, it's like yeah, yes, give or take. It's much more than By the way, if you want their attention, uh, you've got to show intention. You've got to show that you are credible. And they have limits regulatorily and statutorially and with their shareholders about how far they can lean into your life without putting themselves at risk. We bridge you, We bridge them, so you ever look for hope inside inside of hunting in the bank if you can find it, or another institution, because you know they will take a referral from another institution. By the way, and we can get your credit score up initially by removing an error if you have if you haven't checked your credit in a couple of years, and that's a good portion of Americans, there's a large possibility, significant possibility you have an.
Speaker 2: Error on your credit report.
Speaker 1: If we challenge the three credit bureaus by sending a letter I opperation to hope with your cooperation, the credit bureaus have thirty days to respond to either confirm at you or remove it. If they remove it, which happens ninety percent of the time, that popped a credit thirty points on average. So if you were at five eighty year, now at sixteen, if you were at six hundred year, now at six thirty. So the banker now sees oh my god, you're making improvements. They note your file, and so then we start working on a budget. He talked about his dad didn't have a budget, he had a he had all kind of other challenges deal with. I'm gonna get to that his personal story in the minute. I didn't know his backstory. But we're going to help you create see a budget.
Speaker 2: And when we.
Speaker 1: Do that, you're gonna find if you're spending a lot of money on Starbucks or whatever it is you're spending on that, you can go get a curate machine at home, make your own coffee. Stop smoking it's gonna kill you anyway, and save six thousand dollars a year. And if you're making forty thousand dollars a year, well, heck that's you know, more than ten percent of your annual income, and you can recycle that at the savings. You can lower your debt to income ratio, which is what they're looking for, and get and get a saving out going. And then we give you the earned income tax credit. Was you making let's sixty thousand dollars a year? By the way, black, white, red, brown, yellow, urban world doesn't matter. Uh. One o four Americans who qualify for that never asked for it. That's if you make it thirty eight thousand dollars a year, and in Central Ohio as a teacher and you have three children, the government owes you a check for about seven thousand dollars if you never filed its retroactive for three years. That's almost twenty thousand dollars you can use as the down payment on the house from workers you're asking Steve Steinauer for from Huntingdon Bank.
Speaker 2: And and then this goes on and goes on and goes on.
Speaker 1: We can find credit, we can find you know, you got a divorce ten years ago. That charge off of one thousand dollars has probably been discounted significantly because they've been chasing the debt and they sold it to Joe's Finance company or something for five cents on the dollar. Well, Steve's only concerned about where you where you resolved that. So work with the operation to hope we'll contact Joe's finance company who over owns it, will buy it, We'll pay it off. You're gonna pay it off if we negotiate it, and you're gonna get a discount, and they're gonna get a profit, and Steve's gonna get this removed from your credit report in a way that he can say yes to you. In other words, now your credit score goes up again. So we're gonna be the bridge and the translator for you to do what you don't know you can do, and to help you do and help the bank do what they can't do, so the bank can tell you yes. The bank does not benefit if they can't say yes every day to providing capital and credit cannot grow. So oh, I answered that question intelligently, Steve. Steve, your background, how'd you become such a decent human being? Let's unpack this. I just the more I like, the more I hang around you, the more I like. You tell us where you grew up, how you grew up, and how'd you get here as a human being.
Speaker 3: Well, I grew one of five, second oldest, and you know, family didn't have much and so they did have a sense of self worth and they were active in their own ways in the community. So I had some role models in that regard growing up, and I probably didn't deserve the education opportunity I got, but somehow they figured out how to get five of us through a parochial education and that was very discipline based and that was good for me because I I might have gone astray.
Speaker 5: But for.
Speaker 3: I refer to them as sisters of no mercy and they didn't have any on me early on in life, and so I and I needed it. So anyway, that that all led to to uh uh you know, a route where I was in a position with grandparents and parents and seeing that you know, we didn't think we were poor. We prayed for the poor. We didn't know better. Tell me about all my dad always had most of my life, had two jobs. I worked five and a half six days a week and my mother worked as well, So you know, it was just expected.
Speaker 2: Did they tell you they loved you?
Speaker 1: Of course yes, so you heard that in the house you didn't have money, but you had you had love. And even though your dad had these challenges, was he able to work around that to still embrace you?
Speaker 2: And it was?
Speaker 1: It was in other words, was it was the challenges in the household a hindrance or just something that you guys managed through and you somehow understood even despite that he loved you.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: Uh. Addiction is uh problematic for the people around because it's hard to understand, particularly as a as a child. Uh and you had some of this too as you were growing up, John, So, uh, you know what I'm talking You know what I'm talking about. And unfortunately, when I was in college, he caught himself. He decided only that the person with the addiction can do this. He caught himself and he had another I don't know, seven eight years of largely a sober lifestyle, slip, slip now and then and then come back. But uh, you know, it took a lot of will because he he uh he he uh he imbibed uh uh for many many years and so it took a lot of There was strength of character, strength of will there that that brought him around. So in some ways a role model. And it caused me to to uh study addiction and you know, Alcoholics Anonymous and other material that might have been available back in the late seventies and early eighties and get some basic level of what was what he was struggling with. And so it made me somewhat more aware and sensitive to issues ultimately including mental health.
Speaker 1: Yes, what I the reason I wanted the backstory and Steve and I do have this in common. My mom and dad voice over money, and there was domestic abuse in the house, and they told me they loved me, and I believed it. My mother told me she loved me every day in my life. My dad loved me too. I'm a businessman and an entrepreneur to my dad was a businessman and a hustler, and he was a businessman because his dad was a sharecropper and all that. But I wanted the audience to hear and for those watching this on visual media to see that whether you're black in urban or white in Midwestern, it's the same experience and it's commonality of those experiences that build bonds and relationships and friendships and understanding. Don't make presumptions. Don't make assumptions. Just because this guy's running one of the top ten commercial banks and top twenty banks in America doesn't mean he hasn't had challenges and doesn't mean he doesn't understand you and doesn't care. When you assume that he doesn't care, you've lost. So that's why I want people to hear your backstory. As we wrap up, and Steve, I really have enjoyed this. I'd like you to spend the last four to five minutes just riffing, Just what are the lessons the points that you want that you've always you know, we're all forer frustrated teachers a little bit, you know, you rattle, you know, you and I talk about so many things. We don't have time that we talk about the state of this country and how divided it is and all that. We don't have time to get in all of that because it's as an hour season all by itself. But all the things we can control in our lives, the controls, what are some of the things that you just it frustrates the bejeebers out of you that you really just wish people would get their hands on X, Y and z or or or if they if you just they just would do this week before they came to the bank.
Speaker 2: Or what what what?
Speaker 1: Whatever you want to say, I want people to get five minutes of uninterrupted wisdom from you.
Speaker 3: Well, successful people have some common traits. They don't give up, right because you don't. Success is very rarely is it a straight line. Normally, there's a lot of hardship, setbacks, failure, But you don't give up. They're driven and they they channel that drive somehow into something productive. In my case, it was a design to get better, to learn, and to see a world bigger than three thousand people, which was the size of the town I grew up in, and and and get the benefit of of of of being able to be with really interesting and great people like you, John, and with all that you've done. And so I've had a lot of blessings in my life, but there've also been hardships and and and yet not letting those hardships define who you are, figure out ways to rise above them, work around them, don't quit, don't quit. And if you if you believe in yourself, you may not know where you're going. I had no idea in my case, but I knew I wanted more and I would work hard for it, and I was going to live my life with certain principles. And I've generally been able to do that for the last sixty seven years. And so I feel very fortunate that I had some people along the way who influenced me early on grandparents, often on parents, and many others, including people like you, who've devoted their life to trying to help others. And I've had because of my profession, I've had the opportunity in different areas of the country to meet just some phenomenal people who have really devoted their life to helping others. And so I admire you, I admire them. I learned from you and them, and I want to keep getting better. And I hope I've got a bit of a road in front of me and an opportunity to influence others and if you will pay it forward, because I've had a wonderful set of opportunities that somehow came my way. I don't know how it happened, but you know, we have some common elements. Work hard, care, do the right thing, try and get better, try and help others. And those are some of the essential elements that as I think about my life, have marked it and have created the executive and the person that I am. I should say person and the executive put it in the other order, just as you've defined yourself as a person and then an incredibly successful entrepreneur and executive by all the different things you've done. But it's you as a person in the first instance. And I think people generally want to do the right thing, they just don't always catch themselves. And I think if we start with a basis of I want to do good. I want to help others. I want to help myself, but in help helping myself, I want to help others. It can align into for those fortunate to be the next John Hope Bryans and maybe when I retire a successor here at Huntington something. It's been a pleasure to be with you, John.
Speaker 1: It's been my pleasure. As we wrap up, I'm gonnaee if I can summarize what I just heard. Give been focusing more focused on what you give than what you get. Understand that no one's perfect. Everybody makes mistakes. You can make a mistake and not be one. Never give up, never give in. Live for something larger and more important than yourself. Have a purpose. Those are some of the things that I heard. Of Course, be authentic. If somebody's calling Huntington Bank, if you are near one of its branches or whatever, uh, and you want to access capital with this bank, don't play a game. Call them, be honest with them. They're going to find out anyway, right, Just be straight and you're gonna get credit for being straight.
Speaker 2: Is that right, Steve?
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. And there may be a period where we just can't do something but my colleagues, not all of them, but they are a number that we'll engage and work with and try and help and ultimately we'll create a success, whether that's a first time home or first time business or other things.
Speaker 1: Or left local. So so thank you very much, Steve Steinauer. He's got to go run one of the twenty largest overall banks in America and to have have ten commercial banks, and I appreciate him giving us an hour to unpack the mysteries of banking and to replace it with the stairsteps of your success. Steve, I'll see you at a meeting around town. I'm sure run into you in the next thirty days somewhere.
Speaker 2: I love you very much, brother. And this has been Money and Wealth on the.
Speaker 1: Black Effect Network on iHeartRadio, Go Change Your Life. Money and Wealth with John O'Brien is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from the Black Effect Podcast Network, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.