Speaker 1: Ridiculous crime. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Dunton, Zaren Burnette.
Speaker 3: So good to see you.
Speaker 2: It's good to see you.
Speaker 3: Now, before we get any gibber jibber, I got a question for you. Do you know it's ridiculous?
Speaker 2: I sure do.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: We've been inundated with two things on Instagram, okay to I'll just be I'll just say it. Mashups.
Speaker 3: Oh they're something was like, you know, personal request appearances for us to be on family feud with you know.
Speaker 2: Richard Dawson. No, two different mashups, right, one of which I'm waiting for the actual product to arrive at my home. Oh, you've ordered this so you could try it, so that I can try it, Yeah, and so that that's on holdless well yeah, and the other one. I had this like flight of fancy this morning where I was like, I wonder if I could get this at like Walmart, and then I read up on it and it's only available in.
Speaker 3: China, Chinese walmarts.
Speaker 2: Chinese Walmarts. So yeah, I you know, I'm not allowed to fly to China and go.
Speaker 3: Not after not after the incident.
Speaker 2: No, not with the ankle bracelet. So anyway, this smashup involves two things you like, so you may be into this. Let's pretend you like you like Oreo cookies, I do, I do. What happens when you also like fried chicken? Oh god, yeah, I know, I know, you're like scrunching up your face. Yes, So it's KFC has joined forces with ore Eo, but it's only in China for some reason. And it has the same kind of dark chocolate cooking, but the filling inside is uh fried chicken flavored that way. Yeah, exactly, like.
Speaker 3: Fried chicken that had like a crust of oreos.
Speaker 2: Well that's what you would kind of think. No, this is it's the sweet cream is replaced with a filling meant to taste like KFC's original recipe eleven herbs and spices, minus the meat. And so it's. It went on sale in China July thirty first, and it's part of their limited edition Playful Time Travel collection, which as far as I understand, only includes one other. It's a collection of two things, and it's like caramel popcorn is the other flavor.
Speaker 3: Lord.
Speaker 2: Uh you know, so if you're wondering, like what is fried chicken and milk taste.
Speaker 3: Like, No, I'm not wondering. I can do that one on my own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so anyway, I'd love to like, have they has anyone from ORIO or KFC stepped forward to make a ridiculous SoundBite about this. No, I found no state.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, what a shame, I know.
Speaker 2: So anyway, now everyone's like, well, I can't wait till they get to the States and all these people. Sorry Zarin, sorry, aren.
Speaker 3: I appreciate your sorry.
Speaker 2: And I wanted to make you eat one today because.
Speaker 3: That's my new goal, one of these in my mouth.
Speaker 2: Get on this stuff early enough so I can source it. And like I sent a message to the other one that I'm trying to get me to answer me. So I got to buy it out of my own pocket, which I'll do.
Speaker 3: You know, have you seen what go without?
Speaker 2: So you can have thanks?
Speaker 3: Mom? Have you seen a subway takes?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: All right? Did you see the one where the guys said that he has a theory, a conspiracy theory that the colonels of Colonel Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken is actually a Japanese man.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I have seen it, right, I think that's brilliant.
Speaker 3: Well, and now that's now cannon for.
Speaker 2: Me, so sure, well okay, so then now we have you know, Chinese Japanese.
Speaker 3: Piece working together in the kitchen here, Yeah, exactly, you need God.
Speaker 2: I know you have no idea, but I got some ridiculous for you.
Speaker 3: You and I often say we're show folk. Yes right, we put on the show. We can muscle our way through adversity or pain what have you, for the sake of the show. Of course, that attitude is best summed up by this old saying around the theater world. The show must go on, yes, sir, Well, sometimes in extreme circumstances, the show must not go on. And sometimes to stop the show from going on, folks turn to crime. This is Ridiculous Crime, a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous. Yees, Elizabeth, sir. Now, as I said up top, we're both show fo we both live our lives according to the show folk mantra, the show must go on exactly. Do you know where that saying comes from?
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I did not either, and I had to look it up. The answer is a bit murky. But there's some speculation that this idea was first expressed by my man Billy Shakespeare. M yeah, and it was in his play Henry the Fourth Part one. Okay, side note, My favorite rendition of that play is definitely the River Phoenix Kana Reeves movie my own private Idaho.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah right. It is a really great one.
Speaker 3: It really is, and it really captures the whole like Prince Hal and like it doesn't matter, but it's a great movie. So anyway, in the original Shakespearean play Henry the Fourth Part one, the line comes from Act two, Scene four. I looked all this up okay Reddit for you, so i'd have proper contexts. You see, Prince Hal and Falstaff, my man Falstaff, are playing this little game of role playing as Shakespeare was wont to do. And in that scene, Falstaff is playing Prince how well the Prince plays his father the King? Okay? As such, Falstaff is asking his father, the King, what he, as the Prince, should do about that known miscreant Falstaff, right, and the Prince playing the King is giving him advice. So in order, Prince Hal is giving him self advice. You follow, yes, okay, now towards the end of the scene, Falstaff is playing the part of Prince Hal, and he asked the prince playing his father the King, if he should keep Falstaff by his side. He's still with me. Yes, okay, So Prince Hal as his father the King, he describes his friend and would be mentor Falstaff, saying that quote that villainous, abominable misleader of youth Falstaff, that old white bearded satan. And Falstaff as Prince Hal responds, my Lord the man. I know. Now it's another classic Shakespeare in double entendre of meaning, you know, with the aid of their role playing to carry it all off. Now, Prince Hal has a nickname. They call him Harry, as you know. And I bring this up because it matters for the next quote. Anyway, Falstaff as the Prince offers a defense of fall Staff the man, and he excuses his own many vices, and he goes on to give Harry aka Prince Hal, still role playing as the King, this advice and I quote, no, my good lord, banish peto, banish, barred off, banish poins. But for sweet Jack Falstaff, kind Jack Falstaff, true Jack Falstaff, valiant Jack Falstaff, and therefore more valiant being as he is old Jack Falstaff, Banish not him, thy Harry's company, Banish not him, thy Harry's company, banish plump Jack, and banish all the world. So, in other words, Jack Falstaff represents the pleasures and the vulgarities of the world which any prince must know, no intimately, if he is to one day be a wise king. So he must know what motivates and satiates lesser men than the king. And listening to the advice Prince hal As, the King agrees not to banish my man Jack Falstaff. Now they're little play inside. The play is then interrupted by the character Bardolf, and he warns Prince Hell, oh, my lord, my lord, the sheriff with a most monstrous watch is at the door, to which Falstaff now has both himself and still the Prince roars back out, you rogue, Play out the play. I have much to say in the behalf of that Falstaff. So there it is the first expression of this idea. The show must go on. Play out the.
Speaker 2: Play, play out the play.
Speaker 3: And I love how Shakespeare as the source of so many firsts in the English lineguage. Yeah right, he's the best. Like I'm sure, you know. He invented a ton of words like eyeball and bedroom and birthplace and blanket. But he also coined the words addiction and swagger and fashionable, generous, and frugal, or emotional words like amazement, excitement, arouse, lonely, and gloomy. He also coined some of my favorite words ever, like mad cap, cold blooded, lackluster, unreal, unearthly, and bedazzled. So when you bedazzle your a JJ, that's because Shakespeare taught you that word. Really, not you personally, but it's anybody. It's the last time I heard the word bedazzle be used.
Speaker 2: Did I had a bedazzler? Did you as like an adult?
Speaker 3: Did you really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And I made I made a bedazzled gift for my friend Val. It was a T shirt with a horse running on it, and I dazzled the horse.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think she later turned it into a cute purse.
Speaker 3: Oh that's cool, but it lives on. No, it definitely does, and all thanks to Billy Shakes. Now, obviously I'm rather jealous of Shakespeare. I'd love to invent new words for English. But to his credit, he's really good at like making new compound words because his language is always so poetic. And anyway, my point is, I think I need to finish reading all of his plays. And anyway, back to the story, that phrase play out the play. It's like the headwaters for the more common phrase that later came to be the show must go on. But there's also another similar phrase from a famous theatrical character that predates it, and that character is the crying cloud polyachi.
Speaker 2: Oh from Comedia dol Artes.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, in the eighteen ninety two opera of the same name, the clown Palliaci sings this aria at the end of the first act, and when he's not playing the clown Palliacchi, the character's government name is Kanio, and Kanio discovers that his wife is cheating on him, but he still has to go out and put on his show as the funny man clown Pallacci. It's like the meme with the psychiatrist. But I am Polyacci, and so in his aria he says vesti la juba, which translates into English means on with the motley, or in other words, the comedy must go on.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Still, that's not quite the same thing. So as far as the exact wording. It was folks in the circus in the United States who first used the phrase the show must go on.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see, not a theater thing, but now it.
Speaker 3: Starts with circus because in the case of circus performers, it wasn't that the motley must go on even if your wife is found to be cheating on you, but rather that anything that happens, anything that would could or should knock you off your game as a former, it must be overcome. It must be transcended, because the show matters more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you can't break no show exactly got.
Speaker 3: Under the big ten of the circus. Things often did go wrong, like a lion tamer might be lightly mauled, an acrobat might fall, an elephant might escape their tent and run amok. And yet despite whatever may happen, the ring master would remind all of the circus performers and I quote it is a point of honor not to let the other players down by deserting them when no understudy is available. So I got like the theater, they got no backup acura.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So in other words, folks are all counting on you. Roll in this together. Now get out there and let's put on.
Speaker 2: A show they paid.
Speaker 3: For exactly Now, the same expression soon spread to the theater folk who had that same idea, right, and then they use it, obviously with the exact same meaning. And from there the expression escaped the world of performers. It soon became common like American parlance. In fact, by eighteen sixty seven, the phrase the show must go on was already so common in the US that it was added to the Dictionary of Americanisms. Oh right, okay, Dictionary of Americanisms. Now you may be wondering, exeren why did you just take us down this rabbit hole of the derivation of the expression the show must go on? Great question, Elizabeth, So glad you got your head on. The reason why is that sometimes, in some circumstances, the show must absolutely not go on.
Speaker 2: That's very true.
Speaker 3: And that's what I want to tell you about today. Three very ridiculous and criminal instances of the show needing to stop dead in its tracks. Yeah, yeah, to proceed no further, The show must not go on, not go on. The first up, let's dip out to Vermont. Staying on theme, this story begins in the theater. Uh huh, Yes, in Exeter, Vermont, a local theater, was putting on a performance of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Did you ever get into Rocky Horror Picture Show, like the midnight screenings or people coming I'm guessing you would say quirky and.
Speaker 2: No quirky, that is correct me.
Speaker 3: I was too young. Like my friend's older brother and sisters, they went to midnight shows of the Rocky Horror Picture Show and they get all dulled up and they it's like their favorite character or whatever, and then they'd sing along with all the musical numbers. Some would even go down and perform below the screen in conjunction.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was before my time. It wasn't something that it took a.
Speaker 3: Seventies hangover the last year into the eighties, sure, and by the nineties you'd see it.
Speaker 2: It's someplace someplaces in the nineties, and it was like people really trying to.
Speaker 3: Keep that spirit totally. They're bringing the toast and throwing it. Do you know, yes, I know that, Yeah, Okay, Anyway, I wasn't there. This is always what I heard. Anyway. Back to Essex, Vermont. In April this year, the Essex Community Players were getting ready to put on their production of the seventies film. But then things took an ominous turn. Oh yes, the twenty six year old musical director of the stage play, Kenneth Grenier, he started to receive what were described by the local press as threatening text messages. Oh yeah, the musical director received this storm of text messages. The harassment, it was unending, Elizabeth, and so to protect him and presume the other members of the show's cast and crew, the production company shut down the production of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Speaker 2: These were threatening text to him.
Speaker 3: To him personally, the musical director, and it was bad, like you know, like death threaty types.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this campaign of harassment and threats was so pronounced that the local Essex Police began this investigation. And this, Elizabeth, is where the story goes sideways.
Speaker 2: Oh I love sideways.
Speaker 3: The investigators from Essex Police, they use all the tools at their disposal. They tracked the sources of the threatening texts. They identified that this campaign of harassment was coming from an IP address that was registered to Grenier's own home.
Speaker 2: I saw this Netflix documentary.
Speaker 3: The calls were coming from inside the house. All naturally, the police visited Greanner and asked him why he was sending himself threatening text messages and lying about it. That's when the musical director confessed. He admitted that he'd created a fake account on some subscriber based cell phone app and then he sent himself the messages in order to to get the local production of the Rocky horror show canceled. Must Not Go On.
Speaker 2: And the self sacrifice of it. So he's not saying nasty things to other people, calling in a bomb threat, but then it also allows for all the people to be concerned about him.
Speaker 3: It's major theater kid.
Speaker 2: In so yeah, hardcore love that. You gotta love that.
Speaker 3: Nobody has ever theater kid. It is hard This guy cranky.
Speaker 2: But the performances of like how he's expressing his.
Speaker 3: Fear everyone concerned about him, and then.
Speaker 2: But also saying, you, guys, I don't want you to worry. It's just about me exactly.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, you don't understand.
Speaker 2: You have to figure out how to make my home secured. Can I stay at your house? Oh no, wait, I don't want to put you in danger. Oh god, what do I do?
Speaker 3: So it turns out he's been having apparently all sorts of issues and problems with the cast and the crew. So he was like, I can't do this anymore. This show must be stopped. This show cannot go on, And so he goes and subscribes to the cell phone apps starts texting himself die die or whatever else he die. Yeah. The best solution he comes up with is he'd harass and threaten himself until the show was shut down, and just like that, boom, it works.
Speaker 2: I love that he's also thinking, if it's just against him, they're going to have to close the whole show exactly, instead of being like, Homie, why don't you leave town for a week so we can take this.
Speaker 3: We've got we're past rehearsals, we're almost ready to run the show. We got the numbers down.
Speaker 2: That too, he feels he is so important.
Speaker 3: So the local Assex police they charged him with a misdemeanor of making a false report to law enforcement. So now he has a new set of problems, ones that require a lawyer. Oh boy, So there you go, Lizabeth. That's our first example of the show must absolutely go on for now. Let's take a little break, listen to some ads, and when we're back on with show, We're back Elizabeth, Hello, you're ready to keep this show rolling? Yes, sir, good good, Okay. For my next magic trick, we consider another ridiculous and criminal example of someone saying to themselves, this show must.
Speaker 2: Not go on in any way go on.
Speaker 3: This one is also from this year. These are recent crimes. It comes to us from July of this year. And what are June and July the season of I don't know that's right, weddings? Eh. Okay, So this story is about a wedding one that I guess someone believed must not go on. So the story goes in July tenth of this year, a family was preparing the church for a wedding the next day. They were in the Salt Lake, say, suburb of Caysville, and there stood the local chapel for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. So it's a Mormon church, yeah, and it's getting laid. It's around ten pm. Relatives along with the couple to be married, they're putting on the finishing touches for the wedding chapel the next day. Now, Elizabeth, you know how stressful that can be. You've been the officiant for a wedding. You know how it is the night before the wedding. Yep. And let's say like in this instance, it's a homemade effort, right, yeah, and everyone's doing their part, throwing in, pitching in to make a beautiful and dreamy affair.
Speaker 2: Now, when you officiated a wedding, did you have the stress of working the night before?
Speaker 3: I did it twice, and the first time I was so stressed that a doctor friend offered me beta blockers. I didn't end up taking them. I just took a shot out of somebody's flask of whiskey and I was like, I'm good to go. Night before, No, the moments before the event, but the night before I was nervous, but not terribly nervous. I was actually running around Berkeley trying to get my suit together, so I had other nerves. I guess that would be nerves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I bounced out night before and went in sauft.
Speaker 3: Florence the Machine really.
Speaker 2: At the Ace Hotel in la by yourself. Well. No, it was like the debut of that music video the long form okay, for that album how whatever, I can't really name it anyway, it was super super good. Yeah, I took one of the wedding guests and we went nice, really can did it up? Have fun at the real didn't.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: The second one, I did have to help out a bunch because it was much more of a homemade affair, and I was nervous that we were going to get everything together. But I also had confident because it was I liked the crew. I thought they'll pull this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, the show will go on exactly.
Speaker 3: So in this case, the relatives they're helping the would be couple put on the finishing touches for the wedding the next day, and as I said, you know how that can be well, tensions rise, arguments going to occur, especially being got family working together. And then when you know what, the worst possible thing did occur. Someone hears a fire or alarm. Oh yeah, people rush about and someone discovers there's smoke, there's flames, it's a real fire.
Speaker 2: Oh no.
Speaker 3: The next thing you know, folks are rushing around trying to put the fire out by themselves. And then eventually the fire department arrives and the church does get saved from burning down to the ground, but it had major damage and the wedding Elizabeth, the wedding was ruined. Who wants to get married? And what would be ostensibly a crime scene like a goth person. No, I say crime scene because after the fire department arrives and they quelled the fire, they contact the police department and request that they come out to investigate the church as an arson.
Speaker 2: They found Kansasline.
Speaker 3: Well, not only that the local PD, the federal agency, the ATF, also came out to investigate. Yeah, like the alcohol, tobacco, and firearm. So it's your wedding day nightmare pretty much of like now you got federal agencies speaking around.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, Elizabeth, how did this nightmare come to be? Fantastic question? And you know what, Rather than me tell you about it, Elizabeth, closed.
Speaker 2: Your eyes as alone.
Speaker 3: I want you to picture it. It's a beautiful day in Utah. The date is July tenth. It's also the day before your wedding. Yes, that's right, Elizabeth, you are the blushing bride to be. It's the eve of the big day and at the moment you and your fiance are out running some errands. Back at the church, his relatives prepared the church for the nuptials and you two have stepped out to go buy some extra hooks for hanging garlands and signage, as well as some drinks, both for the wedding reception and for the folks prepping the church. Your fiance drives. You sit in the passenger seat of his pickup truck, window down, listening to some satellite radio station he likes, a country singer you don't particularly love, recounts how his latest love affair went wrong in a very country music way. Your fiance pulls into a Chevron gas station, not to refuel, but instead to buy drinks. He shuts off the truck's engine and the country singer with the love troubles cuts off. Doors open, and you two crossed the short part from the area to the gas station. A bell sounds as your fiance ganks open the door. A blast of air conditioned air greech you at the cold case. You and your fiance pick out some twelve facor sodas and some carbonated water no beer, since your fiance is a Mormon. The gas station attendant is friendly enough as they ring up your drink purchases. The bell sounds again as you two step out of the gas station and then walk back to your fiance's truck doors open and close. Then, when your fiance turns Ginja back on, you're greeted by the sound of a different country singer, this time a young woman. She also has love troubles, something about not finding a man who loves hunting dogs and fishing with his buddies and swimming in creeks with her. You assume some of it must be metaphorical, only it's not. These are literally her concerns. Your fiance drives you over to the second stop. It's a short trip. He pulls into the parking lot. You're glad when he shuts off the engine and the love lorn country singer's voice falls away. There's no bell over the door of the local Ace Hardware. Instead, when you step inside, you're greeted by a friendly counter person saying good afternoon and a welcoming sing song. You and your fiance agree to shop separately. He'll find the hooks, and you'll browse to see if there's anything else you all might need. As soon as he's out of sight, you don't browse. Instead, you make a bee line over to a display of cigarette lighters. You take a quick look around to see if anyone can see you satisfied, there's no eyes on you. You swipe two lighters off the shelf with a well practiced move. You put your hand into your pants pocket, and then you push your hand into your shirt as if you were secreting something away in your bra. After that, you take a few steps, but pause and bend down as if to fix your untied shoelaces. As you retie your shoelaces, you also slip a lighter into your shoe, and you give a quick fur to look around to see if anyone spotted you. No one did. You're good. You stand back up. Now there are no lighters in your hands, so you go to meet your fiance at the counter as he pays for the hooks you too came to buy. It's another short drive back to the church, soundtracked by more country music, not the outlaw country that you prefer, but more of the pop crossover variety. The man who as soon to be your husband sings along. He obviously doesn't know the actual lyrics, but that doesn't stop him. Instead, he sings what he guesses the lyrics are, and for some reason, it's annoying the hell out of you. Luckily, it's a short trip back at the church, some of his relatives come out to help bring in the twelve packs of drinks and the carbonated water you two picked up. Once you're inside the church, you check the progress. There are flower garlands hanging in bouquets on the tables in the rooms that's decorated for the reception. In the church proper, there are more flowers and paper creche decor. You're no fan of his family's sense of design, but what can you do? There are more of them than there are of you. At around ten pm, someone suggests you, guys called a night. You have a big day tomorrow and you too need all the beauty sleep you can get. You are in your fiance. Tell the others you'll go lock up the back doors of the reception hall. This is when you decide to take matters into your own hands. Will your fiance is busy locking up, You pull a tampon from your pocket, and then you pull out one of the lighters you stole. With a quick flick of the bic, you put flame to tampon and it catches fire like it was made to burn. You casually toss the burning tampon under a stack of church chairs. Your fiance returns to find you waiting for him. He doesn't smell the smoke or see the burning tampon. You smile, ever, confident your plan is going to work. You're gonna burn this mother down. You two rejoin his relatives in the church as they get ready to leave, and that's when your plan runs into misfortune. You hear it. A fire alarm goes off. It's loud, it's urgent. At this sound, his relatives freak out. They run around looking for the fire. It doesn't take long for someone to find it. They call for help. Someone else runs over with a bouquet of flowers. They toss the blossoms on the floor and then pour the water on the fire. It splashes against the floor in the flames, but it doesn't put them out. Someone else runs over with a fire extinguisher and clash the fire with its foamy contents. That does the trick. The fire, which had begun to spread to the church walls, does indeed go out, leaving behind a scorched wall and the heavy, headache inducing smoke of the extinguished fire. Minutes later, you hear the familiar sounds of fire engines approaching sirens blaring. Damn it, you think to yourself, you thought for sure your tampon fire would burn this church down. But at least it looks like it's made. The wedding tomorrow and it possibility. So there you go, Elizabeth, That's how a little bit arson ruined a wedding yours. Clearly it was you, the bride who tried to burn down the church the night before her wedding, because you a bad, bad girl, Elizabeth. But why why would you or rather she do this? Well, for many brides and grooms, their wedding day is one of the biggest, greatest, most important days of their lives. So again, why would she burn it all down?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Fantastic question, Elizabeth. At this point, let's turn the story over to the police and their investigation. According to Devin J. Rich, the responding officer from the local Kasville Police, things were hinky from the start. Yeah, as he documented in his police report and I quote I responded to the scene as the on call investigator and worked alongside the fire Marshal end atf During the investigation, was pointed out by the fire investigators that the fire appeared to have started under a chair that was amongst stacked chairs along the wall. Under one of the chairs appeared to be items that were out of the ordinary, including what appeared to be a tampon with the applicator on the floor. So you're telling me that the bride started a church fire with a tampon. I mean, points are being creative, right, right, exactly sourceful. I mean she's going to have those things on her right. So as far as the tampon's importance. Back to Officer Rich, he also recorded in his official police report that these items were collected by the ATF. So, now the ATF's got you, Tawn.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because the thing is the firefighters they know they see these things and they know.
Speaker 3: Right away that's a fire starter.
Speaker 2: That's a fire like yeah, because they can tell looking at it, like what's the ignition point and stuff. It's fascinating if you've ever had a chance to really irritate a firefighter and ask them a lot of questions.
Speaker 3: I have, actually, Elizabeth. In fact, I actually got to talk to three fire marshals from three different counties at the same time because the fire that I started was out on the corner of three counties for Sonoma, Yolo, and Napa County.
Speaker 2: Okay, which was awesome. Do we get to do an episode about that.
Speaker 3: We should one day. It cost a lot of money for me to learn a lot of hard lessons anyway, So in this case, the alcohol, tobacco on firearms gets called in and they're supposed to collect the evidence, and they did know they did their part. But for more actual info, let's go back to Officer Rich as he documented his police report. I began interviewing those on the scene and those who were reported to have been at the church during the night, and his investigation begins to point him in the right direction this soon to be married couple. As Officer Rich learned from the folks in the church that faithful night, and I quote it was reported that Tessa and a N had gone to secure the building just prior to the fire alarm going off, and a en statement was that they were in the relief Society room. So it's like the back road. So the groom a N. He's also called Alexi in the police report, he confirmed that throughout the night that he and Tessa had gone to Ace Hardware and Chevron. Alexi reported he gonned Ace Hardware to obtain hooks for setting it up and Chevron to get drinks. All this in the police totally. So you remember all this from the picture, and obviously when you remember.
Speaker 2: And I'm having I have a suspicion that there what I was thinking when I heard what I did, And were there surveillance cameras in the ACE hardware?
Speaker 3: You are good. So what we didn't cover was a key fact about the police as they begin to focus their attention on you, or rather the bride to be. As Officer Rich reported, the woman known as Tessa was actually not named Tessa. Her real name was Lenita Joy Moreno dun dun, dun. Drama intensifies that was not in the officer Rich's p So not only was Tessa not her real name, but when she gave her birthday to the cops, she stated she was born on January eighteenth, two thousand and two. That too was a lie. Oh yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Oh, please tell me she was born in the nineteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: It turns out, ohle, Lenita Joy Morena was actually born on January eighteenth, two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Just I wanted her to be like whaled to undreds, ye.
Speaker 3: So don't I don't know why she chose to lie about her age but just one year, like maybe said they were the same age or something or I don't know about. All of this make the cops super suspicious of her and they start focusing on her entirely as the prime suspect for the church arson, and as such, Officer Rich begins to gather evidence that he could prove that Tessa aka Lenita Joey Moreno was indeed the firebug. And as you so rightfully pointed out, he's like surveillance camera footage. I knew some of that. So he drives over to the Chevron station, speaks with the gas station employees. He has to view their video surveillance footage. They handed over. The video shows young couple walk in, they buy some drinks, and then they pay and they leave nothing hanky there. Then he drives over to a hardware and again he asked of you their video surveillance footage, and sure enough, just like in the picture it, he watches Tessa aka Lenita Joey Moreno walk in, grab some lighters, stick them in her shoes, and look whatnot or bra Notably, he notices this is about six forty two pm, just a few hours before the church fire. Right, So, now the police investigator has established his prime suspect had the means as in the lighters and the tampon. He establishes opportunity since five witnesses can put the suspect in the church at the time of the fire. But what he doesn't have is motive. So Officer Rich goes back to Tessa aka Lenita joy Moreno, and he confronts her with the evidence he's collected. Yes, if she did indeed steal the lighters from Ace Hardware, She admits, yes, I did. Do you do you smoke or do you not have the five ninety eight to buy them? She says no, she did, but and she has no reason to carry a lighter, right Okay, He tells her, will five witnesses have can place you in the relief society room of the church just before the fire started, And then he also notes that her driver's license from Wyoming is a She makes her now obviously out of state resident, but when she originally gave her name and birthdate, both of those were incorrect, and yet her Wyoming license, you know, corrects the score. Sure, so she admits, yes, I did lie about that as well. So At this point, he asked her, what was your motive to burn down the church where your wedding was going to be held the next day? And Tessa admits that you asked if the wedding, you know, if it had gone off, it wouldn't have been legal anyway. He's like, well, wait, what do you what do you mean by that? Now you may be wondering how could that be? Right? Well, I'm glad you asked Elizabeth. Turns out Tessa had lied to the groom and his family about getting a marriage license, so there wasnage, so it wouldn't they could have done the ceremony.
Speaker 2: All they want the ceremony means nothing right.
Speaker 3: So at this point the motive for the church arson came into glaring relief. It seems that Tessa absolutely did not want to go through with her marriage to the groom, and she was prepared to burn down a church in order to avoid it. God, she was very committed to the idea this show must not go on right totally now. As for damage, the cost to repair the church reestimated to be about one hundred and eight thousand dollars. WHOA, yeah, she burned a lot of wall. Apparently, some rafters. I don't know. As for Tessa aka Lenita, she was charged with aggravated arson theft and providing false information to police. So it looks like she will be spending some time in prison where she can think about what she's done and also amuse the hell out of her cellmate fellow jailhouse friends. Because I'm guessing a woman who attempted to burn down a church to get out of her own weddings, it is going to be very popular in prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably.
Speaker 3: So on that note, let's take another little break and after these messages, Elizabeth, we'll be back to discuss why are people so bad at music shows these days?
Speaker 5: Oh we're back, Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: Hi, you're ready for things to get a bit gross. I'm talking like a patented dutton gross.
Speaker 2: So you're asking me.
Speaker 3: Impression.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Sometimes your gross your gross outs are different than my gross outs. Yours are very clinical, and then I start to like see very wrong, real like photo realistic images in my head, and then I get queazy.
Speaker 3: Yours are like a cartoony.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm fully cartoonish.
Speaker 3: Fluffy round edges. Yeah yeah, Well, thus far, we've had a musical director for a local play send himself threatening text to get the play canceled. And we had a bride try to burn down a church where she was getting married, And both instances it was someone who felt events had gone too far. Someone must do something to say this show must not go on, and in both cases that someone was the person we've described. Well in this story, we have multiple someones who said, yeah, quite the opposite, the show must go on, and it was others who were like, no, no, no, go handle your business. So or more specifically, in this case, it was the people putting on the show from the stage who were like, oh, yeah, the show's gonna go on, but you need to leave. Oh this may be a bit confusing, so let me put it in play language. Yeah, Elizabeth, did you know there's been a popular uprising by music acts who've been asking their fans to take a moment for themselves and to step away from their performance. You may be wondering, is Saren Is this because of the severe heat waves we've been seeing this summer? Right? Are these music acts looking out for their fans, not wanting them to suffer from heat exhaustion? Yeah, And I would say that's a really kind thought. But no, that's not it.
Speaker 2: Oh it's not.
Speaker 3: I'm sure many music performers are worried about their fans and these record breaking heat waves. Yeah, that's not the issue here. Perhaps you were thinking, zaren, are these performers worried about the physical safety of their fans, Like, perhaps they're worried things are getting to raucous in the pit and they don't want to see anyone get hurt. Yeah, again, I would say, good instinct, kind heart, Elizabeth, yea, like where your head's up? It again, No, that's not the concern I'm refer referencing. Or maybe you worry that fans are getting harassed or geting assaulted. You like me, like to see performers step it up and like look out for their fans in that instance. But once again, while it's a very real concern, it's not what I'm referencing. So what is this great dangers there? It is because it is such a popular trend that music acts and performers across the nation are stepping up and asking their fans to step away and take care of themselves. The danger, Elizabeth, is poop, as in fresh feces. I'm talking about steaming turns, yes, side note, what's your favorite safer work go to phrase for crab For crab, I'll give you a second to think, and I'll tell you mine. Mine is the kids, as in I'm gonna go drop the kids off at the pool. Yeah, which is something a friend of mine who used he used to always say when we work together as house spanners. He's always like, I gotta go drop the kids off at the pool for some swim lessons.
Speaker 2: I knew someone always talked about throwing rope, throwing rope, or court and ribbon geez, or I'm gonna put a potato in the crock pot.
Speaker 3: I like that one.
Speaker 2: You're horrible.
Speaker 3: So on that note, let's get into it. Apparently, fast spreading danger of human dung is a real issue.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean for a lot of reasons, but I don't know the it's bad. It's a danger for reasons, but I want to know why. Well, you see, Saron, give me the why.
Speaker 3: Many music acts and performers have noticed and are now speaking up about the fact that people are taking dumps at their concerts and has become a major issue. Not like there's not enough porta potties for all the eager butts to unload into. But rather people are just kind of going freelance, like this is good enough spot for me. As Paste magazine noted on June twenty nineties of this year, they commented on this putrid trend and a story with the arresting headline, We're entering a on the floor at concerts epidemic.
Speaker 2: I can't get my head. I mean, I have been it. I've been at all kinds of cont any number of attendees.
Speaker 3: I see a lot of bodily fluids, puke, blood spits, never seen. Yes, Allen's getting loose with it. Thank you, producer, dude. Now, I don't know if this is some sort of like post COVID hangover people no longer knowing how to act in public, or if this is an issue of this just like these little crap happy monsters weren't raised right or right. All I know is the facts, Elizabeth, and the facts are feted, as Pace magazine explained and I quote. Earlier this month, Alivia Rodrigo revealed that she's often smelled her fans feces at the barricade to the internet's collective horror.
Speaker 2: Wait, she sings like tiny little music and that people. The people are pooping.
Speaker 3: From it at the bear enough that she can smell it. She's like, I don't mind the pot smoke, but it's In a Kiss FM interview from June of this year, Olivia Rodriguez said, and I quote, I've been to certain concerts in certain festivals where people wear diapers so that they can be front row of the show. And that's been an experience as a performer that I have smelled. Like the Times Square ball drop on New Year's Eve, everyone is wearing diapers and they sit there all day. I think about it kind of often. There's so much too part in the expression unpacked.
Speaker 2: There's a lot to unpack. First of all, I know so many people who won't use public bathrooms to drop body boulders.
Speaker 3: I'm one of them.
Speaker 2: You're one of them. Are like camping and stuff.
Speaker 3: I've gone three days camping and it's not a hard.
Speaker 2: Time eating Taylor Farms, Dude, I was easier to hold in and held it, but it's easier to hold in number two.
Speaker 3: Sorry to the internet burgers right near Carmel, California.
Speaker 2: Then it is number one. So I can see people like peeing themselves. I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't sure run down the leg Maybe the cafeter that you. Yeah, but like you.
Speaker 2: Know, fudge babies in the pants.
Speaker 3: People are brown in their underwears so often it was so much volume that singers like Olivia Rodrigo can smell their Hershey highways all the way up on stage now two, Rodrigo Riley points out that this trend didn't start with her young fans. This is something people have been doing for a minute. She referenced the Times Square Ball drop in New Year's Eve, where people crammed into that packed plaza because they don't want to lose their place. They wear diapers so they can crab freely and not worry about having their way back to the now. This means when reasonable people like you and me are watching the Times Square Ball Drop at home on TV, we are looking at some folks who have a diaper fole between their legs. Right anyway, Being a bit of a trendsetter, when Olivia Rodrigo spoke up about fans flooding the zone with the craptacular stench of their bowels, she started a wave of other performers who came forward to say, yes, I too have smelled the insides of my fans from the safety of the stage. One of the artists was the same songwriter, Noah Kahan, the bearded singer of the song Hurt Somebody, came forward to lectureus fans about dropping a deuce in their jeans at his shows. In a post on X Noah said, and I quote, if you have to poop at a show, please, Dear God, just go to the bathroom. I've pooped my pants as much as the next twenty nine year old. But you guys got to understand there's a venue worker out there with a thousand yard stare after dealing with that.
Speaker 2: Wait, I poop my pants?
Speaker 3: Is that a lot I don't know, years old exactly. Make a little look love burrito action down there that I got. I got to commend him, though, because when he took his brown wave of shame seriously, he brought it up with his fans and I had a show in Toronto. He recounted an incident from a previous show in Philadelphia where some dookie droppings soiled the good vibe at his show, and he made his fans in Toronto's take a pledge that they would not soil themselves just so they didn't miss the song.
Speaker 2: Did you take a pledge?
Speaker 3: Yes? No, it told us again, this is awkward, and this is fresh in more ways than one. You'll find out in a second. When you entered this building, you entered a social contract, right, and one of the big rule number two besides don't literally kill each other, is don't on the floor. So that's right, Noah Kahan had to explicitly tell his fans not to on the floor.
Speaker 2: Did this happen just once? No all, it has multiple times.
Speaker 3: This is where we are at as a society, Elizabeth. And he wasn't done. Noe also told his fans, so we're gonna do some therapy type thing where we all basically repeat after me. Okay. If you think you have to shut on the floor, then don't repeat after me. I guess, but please don't do it, okay. And at this point, Noah then leads his fans in a serious don't on the floor oath, and from the stage he asked them to repeat these words allowed and so you can more fully get a sense of the scene, Elizabeth, I'd like you to repeat after me and Han's oath.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm ready, I'm gonna raise my right hand.
Speaker 3: Okay, there we go. I solemnly swear.
Speaker 2: I solemnly swear I will not my pants. I will not my pants and if I do, and if I.
Speaker 3: Do, I won't take it from my pants and put it on the floor.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I won't take it from my pants and put it on the floor. Colly.
Speaker 3: After he makes his fans take this solemn oath, he undercuts the whole thing because you see, he takes this fake phone call from the stage, and the fake phone calls from the National Center for IBS Colitis and Diarrhea, and Cahan says it's actually wonderful adult suffers from IBS. Well, I'm so sorry, And then he admonishes his crowd.
Speaker 2: Oh you want, I would stand up and go triggered.
Speaker 3: Mixed messages, bros message that I just took an oath.
Speaker 2: So I have you know, what would you do if you saw someone pop in a squat? Oh yeah, and just unleashing. What would you do?
Speaker 3: Shove them into it?
Speaker 2: I kick them clean that.
Speaker 3: Up with the front of you.
Speaker 2: I once I was at a Social Destroyer show and there was a skinhead in the pit, and like you know, social distortion is not not a skinhead kind of like mess wouldn't stand for it, and the guy was just pushing people around and here I am just a gal standing on the side. When he came by it as a circle pit. He came out and put my foot out and he bit.
Speaker 3: It went from like skinhead straped to skinhead.
Speaker 2: Plump yeah, with like I hope you like the tooth fairy. Yeah, something would be something like that. They're not in that kind of motion, but if I looked over, I would just you know, I played soccer as a kid. Yeah, I mean not from the I go across the top, I go shoulder and if they're squatting.
Speaker 3: Down, I got you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thinking I am just.
Speaker 3: Pushing it, you know, like it was just.
Speaker 2: There's that too or then you push him down and then you poop on them.
Speaker 3: That's too far, and then someone else poops on You're part of the problem. Yea.
Speaker 2: It is true, plain.
Speaker 3: Little stunt about the whole pooping thing. It was motivated by Olivia Rodrigo coming forward about the crap and her craw but also, as I mentioned earlier, there was an incident in Philadelphia at one of his shows, apparently at Philadelphia's Citizens Bank Park, someone in his audience filmed an actual crap that had been smashed and smushed across the floor of the venue, and the fan filming it was aghast as you are currently and she said, and I quote, what the yea show? Which is an appropriate response when you see smeared feces on the floor of a concert venue. Since it's the Internet age, naturally, we do have an eyewitness account of this crap on the floor in Philadelphia. On Reddit, someone shared the story and I quote the person who did this was one row in front of me and Section AA, and I guess they didn't want to miss a couple songs to use the bathroom, so they just straight up themselves and started picking actual pieces of poop up out of their butt and put it on the floor. She started trying to waffle stomp the turrets and acted to if nothing happened, but we flagged down security.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry that I had to read that out loud to you.
Speaker 2: People are broken, But I know you're.
Speaker 3: Curious, and I know that darkly you wanted.
Speaker 2: To know, darkly really want to know. But people should not be in public.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there you go. People are literally themselves that they don't miss a single minute of Olivia Rodrigo or Noa Kahan and other pop stars. And that's where our country and our culture is at music shows. They've become so expensive that people want to get their money.
Speaker 2: I've seen like online people talking about tickets to the shows.
Speaker 3: So ridiculous, insane thousand, Yeah, it's insane, And therefore that's why people are dropping their pants and clearing their bowels because they don't want to They want to get full dollars worth, which also means that someone else then has to clean up their mess, which they mentioned earlier. So there are venue workers you have to go around and mop up turns and puddles of piss from the floor because someone else didn't want to miss a single second of their favorite like K pop bands.
Speaker 2: That's how disease spreads.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to which I must implore these younger concert goers sometimes the show.
Speaker 2: Must not go on, agreed, right, So, in case.
Speaker 3: You were wondering about attending a summertime concert series, I'm here to inform you that you and I Elizabeth are, in the words of Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, Yeah, too old for this.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, isn't that the.
Speaker 3: T I must now ask you, what's a ridiculous takeaway here?
Speaker 2: All these people? Could you know, just be honest and not be in any of these terrible situations? Right? So honesty is the best policy, is my takeaway. But also when you asked me, like, what's my favorite euphemism? I suddenly remembered one of the worst ones I've ever heard.
Speaker 3: Oh what do you got for me?
Speaker 2: Gorilla fingers?
Speaker 3: Oh bored? Oh good lord, that's something I'm not going to forget.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. What's your ridiculous takeaway?
Speaker 3: Gorilla fingers? I'm taking that one away. Unfortunately, I'm keeping it. It looks like looks like that's now tattooed.
Speaker 2: It was I'd put it in a lock box in my head, an.
Speaker 3: Al Gore blockbox behind the key, and I was.
Speaker 2: Just, you know, it was like, what what is what's it? What's my favorite? Wait? Because I went to remember on the air rage, one of.
Speaker 3: Our first That's what I was kind of inspired by.
Speaker 2: You know, I had to run through all these ways to say it, and I thought of like childhood ones. But then I don't know if this one just kind of dark memories coming forward.
Speaker 3: I think I think producer he's actually crying right now, just at the sound inside of these So you and the mover were talking about we can wash this one away, hit wash on this one. Produced you do what you got for us? Oh god, oh my god, I went jee.
Speaker 4: Some ridiculous history. In the eighties and nineties, Sweden military repeatedly picked up suspected Russian sub incouragions into their waters on sonar fifteen whole years. They poured resources into trying to locate the subs but always failed. Why because apparently these national security emergencies were being caused by herring farts. That's right, huge schools of fish just tooting away under there. That is ridiculous and on theme, thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't know herring's farted, to be quite honest, I didn't know fish farted. I guess they have to expel gas like any other creatures.
Speaker 2: They're just like gobbling error as they go.
Speaker 3: And also they have the gas bladder that they use for floatation. They eat a lot of beans. As always. You can find is online a ridiculous crime on social media that's mostly uh Instagram for pictures of what we mentioned. Because good luck with this episode.
Speaker 2: Harry Terry save yourself. Don't do it. You don't need one for.
Speaker 3: This week emails. If you'd like at ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com, please start your email. Do you producer d and or Terry now? Oh well, so we also have our website, ridiculous Crime dot com, which was recently nominated for Good Housekeeping seal Over for Best Website dedicated to a podcast about ridiculous crimes. You're kidding, We're a shoe in for this one. We're nominated all the awards.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, obviously we love your talkback, so please go to the iHeart app, download it, leave a talkback and maybe get to hit your voice here. We'd love to hear your voice here and as always, thank you for listening and we will catch you next crime. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaren Burnette, produced and edited by the man once known as the turd Ranger for his ability to keep the peace and prevent poops at concerts and shows, mister Dave Cousten. A Ridiculous assistant is the person voted most likely to keep their crap to themselves out in Olivia Rodrigo show, Terry Maldonatto. Palm Research is by a resident wedding arsenist specialist who says her best kept secret is to dip the tampons in gasoline first. Marissa Brown. Our theme song is by our house band question Mark and the mysterious Brown Stained Blue Jeans always available for weddings, birthday parties and bar Mitzvahs aka Thomas Lee and Travis Dudd. The host wardrobe provided by Botany five hundred producer Dave's wardrobe provided by Mister Guy of Beverly Hills. Guest hair and makeup by Sparkleshock and mister Andre. Executive producers are Ben. You know I still get compliments from my performance as Tim Curry's role Doctor Frankenferder at my local midnight movies Poland and Noel. I once asked Ben and Jerry's to make a new ice cream flavor called Rocky Road Horror Picture Show, but they said no, Brown.
Speaker 2: Geek, why say it one more time? Geek?
Speaker 1: Cr Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts. My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.