Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Dale Vince is a lightning rod, a green lightning rod. He's been called Britain's most powerful hippie. He's the founder of a series of companies building green technologies. Ecotricity is the biggest of them and it provides green power to nearly two hundred thousand customers. He is also a major donor to the Labor Party, which has just elected a new leader and as a result, Andy Burnham is now the UK's sixth Prime Minister in ten years. This is zero. I'm akshadrati this week. Can a new UK government make energy cheap? Welcome to Zero, Dale.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you. I'm happy to be here, actually in this building. Your building is stunning. It's my second time. I'm still stunned.
Speaker 1: Well, we've also been tot it's one of the most sustainable buildings in the world, which is great fair play. So you're a major donor to the Labor Party and a big supporter of the former Prime minister at Keir Starmer. You expected him to go on to win a second term, but you know couldn't finish even the first one. I don't want to spend a lot of time dissecting all his premiership, but from an energy and climate perspective, let's start with what did he get right?
Speaker 2: Okay, but versus to say I didn't expect him to get the second term, but I very much hoped you would, and I think, you know, it did begin to unravel and it did begin to look very unlikely. What did he get right? I think the big push for green energy through the AR seven AR six lots of contracts for difference for green energy, has propelled as towards one hundred percent green on the grid, and we might be four years away from that. So that's a good thing. I think the intention to change planning laws for onshore wind, I'm not sure that it actually went through or in a form that is useful because there was a ban and I'm not sure it's been unbanned in a completely decent way. Yeah, So on the energy front, really I'm stuck with the big push for green energy. Are we going to talk about the bad things next?
Speaker 1: Yes? So the ER six AR seven is are the auctions that ran for offshore wind, and the contracts for difference is really a price that is fixed, so it's a subsidized price. You make electricity at a price higher than the government earns. If you make electricity at a price lower, the government fills you up with the subsidies. And that's in a way one of the driving routes to try and stabilize what has been a pretty volatile electricity market here in the UK. But let's come to the back.
Speaker 2: Can I comment on that, because first I say it's not a subsidy, it is a fixed price and as you say, you can win and you can lose, and overall the government have been paying into this, but of course when there's an energy crisis then we're winning because that's a fixed price. And it's been used to minimize the rate of return that investors in offshore wind need because the risk is taken away. You can fix your return, the risk comes down.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's been a very popular policy. Other countries have copied it. But let's come to what went wrong on climate and energy.
Speaker 2: Well, in terms of policies, a series of commitments to net zero policies, so say heat pump subsidy fund of about three billion pounds, are kind of overwhelming focus on heat pumps, which is a mistake for a bunch of reasons rich I'll I'll go into in a minute if you want com captured storage twenty two billion committed over twenty five years. Incredible summer of money, incredible period of time for a technology that's more than questionable in terms of what it can do for us to help us get to net zero and all of that kind of stuff. We've got other subsidies for people buying electric cars, which very much like the heat pump subsidies, a middle class subsidy stuff for people with money. If you can afford to buy a new car, it's only one percent of Britons that do that every year, then the government will give some money to help you buy one. Five million Brits are in energy poverty. Meanwhile, getting no help. If you want a heat pump, which is fairly exotic technology for heating, the government will give you eight thousand pounds, but you have to top it up with eight thousand pounds of your own. So it's for wealthy, relatively wealthy people, and you know they put your energy bills up and stuff like that. So what I'm coming to is to say this also, I think net zero has become toxified, aided completely by the right wing media and politicians who've turned it into a very negative term, but they haven't done it alone. I think des Nez have created this situation where most people think that net zero is not for them, it's about giving stuff up, it's for people with money. There's a detachment now and a split in the political consensus to the extent that party's on the right now are calling for the ending of net zero and the redrilling of the North Sea for fossil fuels.
Speaker 1: I'm going to come to all the series of those things, but let's start with the main problem here. You talked about how there's been this break in the political consensus on climate for the first time really in a way that is very American style. The right does not want anything on climate, and the left wants a lot on climate. But the issue for people, at least when you run the polls is people want climate action. The thing that people are really worried about is energy bills. So what do you think Andy Burnham as new Prime minister can do on energy bills that neither Starma, Reeves or Miliban could have done.
Speaker 2: Great question. I think I would say about polling that most people still want action on climate change, but they don't want to pay for it right, and particularly that's true of the people that are struggling with the cost of living crisis. The Desne's budget that I believe has been misappropriated, mis mispointed. I mean it hasn't all been spent yet, is what I'm trying to say. But it's fifty billion pounds that I think will be wasted, and it's an opportunity for Andy Burnham's come to take that money back and spend on more imediate priorities for people in our economy. But the biggest thing they can do to bring energy bills down the new administration is not something that costs any money. So we've proposed a package of three energy market reforms. The first one we've been banging on about for some years now, which is to break the link. So I don't know if you know this, but in our energy market, we link the price of gas on global markets to the price of wind and sun made here in Britain, and it's responsible for incredibly high energy bills every time there's an energy crisis. We're in the second one this decade, that's bound to be another one. We modeled the impact in twenty twenty three, and it added forty three billion pounds to the nation's energy bills, thirty billion added to business bills, thirteen billion added to domestic bills. It added one point five percentage points to inflation and one percent to Bank of England lending rates.
Speaker 1: And this is the idea of the marginal pricing of electricity, right, just explain what that is and why you think this linkage.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it exists, and nobody has ever been able to explain why we have it and why we need it and why we can't break it. The link itself is imagine a daily auction. The grid operator here wants a certain amount of power, call it hundred megawats, doesn't really matter, and it takes bids for more forms of generation, and it stacks them cheapest first to the highest. Last one in is nearly always gas, nearly always, and then it pays everybody in the stack the gas price. And I don't understand that. Why don't people get paid what they bid? So it's basically pay us clear the current system, or pay us bid. And the economic impact of this system, well it's profound, actually, So that's one measure. No money required just to change to the system. And the other is to take these CfDS that we talked about a minute ago and apply them to the north Sea, to the oil and gas production in the north Sea to fix the price. Now, this has a number of benefits because we've got about ten years production left, and while the north Sea is subject to a global prices, there's a chance of a cliff edge event where the price drops and the operators of diminishing fields call time. They say it's not economic anymore, we're going to leave. So with a fixed price, we can guarantee the returns of the operators, we can keep the jobs we've gotten, and kind of have a proper orderly transition. Just so happens that taking the market riskal also would save the nation ten billion pounds a year on their energy bills. Now. The third one is to control the network operators that they run the low voltage system, not not the national super high voltage system, but the regional grids. And they're making forty percent profit margins. They're regulated monopolies. And it's quite incredible to me because we already control the profit margins of retail energy companies to be just two percent and if we were to control the network operators to a similar extent, we can knock another five billion pounds a year off our energy bills. These three energy reforms together will half our energy bills. Biggest thing Labor can do to tackle the cost of living crisis and the thing that grieves so many people. You know the state of our energy bills, but you.
Speaker 1: Know you are one of the biggest donors to the Labor Party. You've given five million pounds or six million pounds. Does that get you to then present this to the government and get a hearing from the leaders to see that this might be a good idea.
Speaker 2: So I've been presenting policies like this for a number of years to all governments. I'd stepped up at the last election to help Labor with what is always a funding gap between them and the Tories. And it was a mixture of reasons. We suffered fourteen years of Tory misrule. Labor had embraced the Green agenda, and I felt that they were the best choice for the country, and I had the means and the will to help at that point, which I hadn't had before. So I stepped into fund the gap, as it were, I didn't want anything for that, and people find it hard to believe in our country and probably in any country, which is why another one of the policies we've been suggesting is to ban political donations completely and publicly fund them. But what does it get me? I mean, I would say nothing special. So look, I've had maybe two meetings with Desness since the election. I think labor have been actually what would you call it. They've been very shy of meeting donors and being around donors, almost some kind of positive discrimination or negative in fact. You know, if you're a donor, it's like, well, you know, just stay over there. And I understand that, but it hasn't stopped me putting papers out and publishing reports and stuff like that. We've got a suite of them for the incoming government, which we believe, and we've had economists produce these numbers for us would treble the rate of GDP growth in our country.
Speaker 1: And just going to the point you made about you know, you are also not just as a donor, but as a donor in a way wanting to have political donations banned. And in this country there is currently a scandal with Reform Party in Nigel Farage, who's under a parliamentary investigation looking at donations that have been given to him. What would that band look like? And is the new Labor government under Andy Burnham going to take it up?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know the answer to the second part of that. I hope so would be my answer. I'm going to give it a go. So we published a paper a few weeks ago. I run a media organization called Babelfish, and we just crunch some numbers and the simple presentation I would give you is this, our economy is worth about three trillion pounds. It might be the sixth biggest in the world, something like that. We employ a small army, five hundred thousand people in the civil service to run this economy at a cost of twenty billion pounds a year, and then we allow fifty million pounds of private money to fund the politicians that will be the government making the decisions. It's a terribly small sum of money in the scheme of things. In business terms, you say that's a false economy. All right, let's just publicly fund it. We calculate it would cost the equivalent of a packet of crisps per year per person thing. It's not even a rounding era in a three trillion economy. So that's the basis of our argument. It's a false economy. The result of private funding is corrosion of our democracy, suspicion of influence, actual influence as well. We've seen examples of that over the last few decades, and so I just think it's the chance to properly clean up politics completely. Meanwhile, our government have tried to shut down cryptodonations, foreign donations. It's a game of whack a mole. Every time we create a new legislation block, another one comes up. And you know, the scandals with Nigel Farges really make the point for us because in the last two weeks has been one scandal after another around undisclosed donations and what they're actually for, leading to the by election which you'll probably be familiar with, which is coming in the middle of August, which is great fun because fris called a by election thinking it was a smart move. He'll put it to the people. They don't care about his scandal's Trump style really, and all the other major parties pulled out and said, well, if you want a by election, you can argue with yourself. Other than in Face. He popped up and said, well, I'll fight the by election. He's a fantastic character. He's been around a while. I mighting bi elections, but I'm backing him in Clacton and it's going to be it's going to be a fun summer. Well.
Speaker 1: This requires a little explanation for the non UK listeners, because in the UK anybody can know with a little sum of money, a few hundred pounds really apply to be running in an election and be on the ballot paper. And we do get some joke candidates and count Binface for a long time has been a joke candidate, but this time he might be a serious candidate if you are funding his political campaign.
Speaker 2: There's a degree to which he's a serious candidate anyway, because he uses satire and humor to kind of poke fun at the way things are done. And that cuts through to a degree. And if you've ever listened to him, and I find him, I find him brilliant to listen to. You know, I've got I've got a manifesto. I'm going to build at least one affordable home. That is a great poke at politicians. You are always going on about affordable homes and stuff like that is going to fix the price of a ninety nine in Clacton. This is an ice cream with a flake in the top. I mean, it's a British cultural thing. He's so funny, but by having a laugh at the things that politicians typically say, he helps us, I think, to ground ourselves. And the idea of him in farage debating in callectin honestie is wonderful. And Faraj doesn't have to lose to lose this gamb but that he's made. He just has to lose vote share and be embarrassed basically by his own actions. And if he does win the by election, which he probably will, he'll face another one because this inquiry hasn't gone away, and in fact, since he resigned there have been more revelations.
Speaker 1: Well, I should note coun Bnfath's real name is Jonathan Harvey is a comedian. And there is a climate policy that is relevant that I should note that he has talked about, which is he would like to send anybody who denies climate change back to school from year one all the way to to just before university to test whether a little more has gone in their heads.
Speaker 2: Since my in take on that is, we should make climate denial a crime. Actually, I mean it's a little bit more serious than his idea, but it shouldn't be possible today with all of the science that we have and the impact that we're seeing. And we were sweltering here in Britain for the last couple of weeks, third heat wave of the year. You know, it's all quite incredible around the world, not just in Britain. It shouldn't be allowable to deny climate change because it confuses the public and it dilutes action. You know, we don't allow things like holocaust denial, and I know that's a very different thing on quite a scale really, but I think the scale of the impact of the climate crisis will be equal to that one hundred thousand people will die in Europe this summer from the heat, for example. And this is just getting going.
Speaker 1: After the break more of my conversation with Dale Vins about the future of British climate and energy policies. If you enjoy what you hear on Zero, please write a s review on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and YouTube. Recently, Adrian wrote Zero has been my favorite podcast since its first episode. Thank you, Adrian, you were supportive of the Clean Power Plan that Starmer's government put in place, which aims to get to ninety five percent clean power by twenty thirty. Now we've already got studies saying that's not going to happen. It's going to take a little bit longer, but as you said, at least they've got the country going down that path. From your perspective, do you think sticking with the clean Power Plan by twenty thirty is a policy worth backing or is the investment in infrastructure pipeline already reached a point that the energy department business can focus on something else.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Desne's view is that we don't need to break the link because by twenty thirty we'll have ninety odd percent green on the grid, and therefore we've basically weaned ourselves off gas so it won't set the price. But then they have their own other study that shows that gas will still set the price thirty percent of the time in those circumstances. So I think Desnees have they've made a misstep, a big misstep. Ed miliband anounce breaking the link a couple of months ago. It was a fake announcement. They didn't do it, and I come back to this point. It's the biggest thing that government can do for our energy bills. But it's also important to this green transition because we can't have wind and sun in our energy mix delivering the benefits of lower price green energy until we break the link with gas, because gas will still set the price, and green energy gets the blame for our high energy bills. But it really is gas. The global price of gas setting the price of our own wind and sun is a ridiculous situation. So I think we should continue to try and get to one hundred percent show that we will, and I don't even care if we only get to ninety, right. I began in green energy in nineteen ninety one when there was nothing on the grid, and you know, the rate of change now is quite profound. But we must tackle the energy market and this systemic problem of gas setting the price of green energy, otherwise we can't get the benefits of lower bills. The public says, well, green energy is driving bills up.
Speaker 1: Beyond the energy market reform ideas that you talked about, there are other bottlenecks that remain grid connections planning. What do you think Burnham can do to fix this, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Think we need to regulate the power companies better. Right, they're privately owned. You know, they're making fantastic sums of money for shareholders, and I would argue that we need to regulate them to divert some of those fantastic sums, more of those sums into the infrastructure that we need, because it's our infrastructure is vital to our economy. And you know, there's some fuss in the media last week about the fact that we need to spend another seventy billion or something like that on grid upgrades for green energy, and this is a presentational issue. We look back and said, well, how much we did we spend building the grid after the Second World War for fossil fuels. Well it was about the same sum of money. But we didn't all run around saying, oh, we need to spend all this money for fossil fuels. We ran around saying, well, we need to build a grid now. We need to build a kind of bolt onto that grid for the twenty first century and for this new form of energy. But it's so that we can all have power. And you know, I mean it's quite often and lost in the debate. But renewable energy is a forever fuel, it won't run out, and the jobs we create a forever jobs.
Speaker 1: You talked about the Nazi as one of your three prong reform fixes, and your position now that we should drill in the Nazi additionally from what we've already done, but do so with these fixed prices goes counter to your position just a few years ago when you were funding just Up Oil, who succeeded in a way with this labor party to actually put lid on new licenses in the Nazi. But in a way you've reversed your position.
Speaker 2: No, you've misunderstood me. I think we should apply a CFD to existing production in the Nazi, not drill more and.
Speaker 1: So subsidized existing production because you know you're fixing the price, but the price may mean at some point there's a subsidy because in a world where we are consuming less oil and gas in the future, price of oil and gas will actually fall quite drastically.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, I think the logic is clear. We can protect the jobs and we can maximize extraction of what we have with a controlled situation at a fixed price. Our studies show that over the last five years. It wouldn't have been a subsidy. It would have been a gain to the country of ten billion pounds a year. So I think it makes sense every which way you look at it.
Speaker 1: Then let's come to heat pumps, because you talked about the subsidies on heat pumps and on electric cars as a middle class subsidy. Is that your real problem with the heat pumps or is the technology itself holdso a problem.
Speaker 2: Well, I think they're being missold to the public. I think they've been missold to desness with claims that they can bring energy bills down. We published a survey a few weeks ago of heat pump owners and two thirds of them said the bills had gone up. Only fifteen percent said the bills had gone down. And I mean it gets quite complicated. But because of the differential between the price of electricity and gas in our country, you need to achieve an efficiency known as a cop of four with your heat pump in order to just break even. If you're getting less than four, your bill goes up, and this is what happening for most people. The other thing not really understood is that heat pumps produce water around about forty to fifty degrees. Forty degrees is where they're most efficient. If you crank that dial up to try and get your seventy or eighty that you used to, then your COP falls away. Our houses have been designed for the most part for hot water at eighty degrees in the radiators, so when you put a heat pump in, you need to change your radiators. Most of the time you will have to get used to lower temperature water running around your house and stuff like that. So in the real world, people are turning them up to get a higher temperature and the COP falls away. The average COP in our country is two point eight across the whoefully of installed heat pumps. Manufacturers say you can save money, you have to have more than four to save money, and it's not happening.
Speaker 1: But there are two fixes to that that could come through, and if those come through, would you support them. So one is to actually bring down this gap between electricity price and gas price, because if you move some of the levees to taxes that are there on electricity into gas or into general taxation, that can happen. And then the second thing that's happening, which is now a technology gain and you've seen technology improvements. You can get heat pumps that are higher than for cop Actually there was one that's now commercially available at six. So the future deployment of heat pumps can be crossing that four barrier. That combination. If that actually lowers bills, you'd be supportive of heat pumps.
Speaker 2: Absolutely if it comes. So you know, you can have a piece of technology that kind of works in theory. I'm always wanting to see how it works in the real world in our housing stock. You know, six sounds great, and if you can get it, that's great. But in terms of the gap between electricity and gas, business have been proposing raising the price of gas. I think that's a terrible thing to do because there are so many people in our country. Twenty percent of homes in our country can never have a heat pump. They're flats and stuff like that. Another twenty percent be super expensive to do, But we come back to middle class substits and regressive taxation. If we put up the price of gas, that's a terrible thing to do. What we need to do is bring down the price of electricity. Now, with our three market reforms, we can do that.
Speaker 1: We can half it One advantage of heat bumps is that you could use them for cooling. Maybe not air to water heat pumps, but you could even those. But air to air heat pumps, which the rest of the world uses for air conditioning, can certainly be made to heat and cool. And given the heat waves that we are seeing here in twenty twenty six, the demand for cooling is rising in Britain. Most people that I'm you know, ask what are they doing, are getting portable air conditioners really inefficient and not well suited. So that might be an advantage for heat pumps.
Speaker 2: Now take your point. I mean air toware can be used for cooling and increasingly we need cooling. And there's a debate in our country about that right now, you know, should we all get air con? But it leaves the poor behind? All right, there are people that can't afford their energy bills. Now can they afford to run an air con unit? Let them buy one? And we have to bear this in mind.
Speaker 1: You called heap hops exotic, Are they really exotic?
Speaker 2: They're not. It's just me being a populist. I mean, basically, it's a fridge, right.
Speaker 1: It is a fridge, and fridges have been around for a very long time. There's an aspect of fridges which I continue to throw at people whenever I hear about fridges. The first fridges that were invented ran on natural gas and they were much more efficient than electric ones. And it was the electricity industry General Electric that lobbied and put our advertisements to really kill off the natural gas fridge. And maybe we should thank them for it, because now fridges are way more efficient electrically and natural gas fridges will not match it.
Speaker 2: And you've got a few issue with gas as well, gas cookers in houses, you know. I mean, gas is a bit last century, but I think it's got a role to play. When we look at decarbonizing home heating in Britain, I think the answer is more of a blended outcome of like a forty forty percent green gas, which we haven't talked about, forty percent heat pumps and twenty percent hydrogen and efficiency measures. And the hydrogen links into the previous thing. We discussed how do we keep the lights on in one hundredercent green grid, and we do that by oversizing the generation fleet so that we minimize the times when we don't have enough, but when we do that, we increase the times when we have too much, we turn it into hydrogen. Our gas grid can take ten percent hydrogen right now, and we can we can arbitrage. We can either put it into the gas grid or hold it and turn it back into electricity as a way of supporting grid. So that's the bigger picture that we're missing. At the government level, there is no plan. There's not even a plan for the transition to EPOMPS.
Speaker 1: The other thing you have talked about is nuclear power and your stances existing nuclear fleet. Run it as much as you can, but don't build new nuclear Now the government stance is quite different. This is not just the labor policy, but governments before that. They are building new nuclear power plants, and there are some of the most expensive nuclear power plants in the world. Your main problem is they're too expensive new ones, no need to build them.
Speaker 2: Well, I have so many problems with it. They are super expensive. They've always made the most expensive electricity we've ever had, and they're always late by a decade or more. Now we've committed vast sums of money to size well. See it's part of the fifty billion that I mentioned earlier, and it can't come on the grid before twenty forty best case. Now, Desniz tell me that that's about energy secure, that's why we need it, And I say, well, we're going to be one hundred percent green on the grid by twenty thirty under your plan. What are we going to do for energy security for the next ten years while we wait for Size Well? That argument doesn't stack up. And then the other argument is energy security, and I say, we don't mind uranium in Britain, so we have to buy on global markets. We've already passed peak uranium. The world uses more than it minds. We're eating into stockpiles. And by twenty fifty, when Size Well is just ten years young on the grid, maybe there'll be a proper global shortage because of the rate of building of nuclear power stations around the world. So no energy security, nothing to help us with our energy bills. Quite the opposite. We're paying now for Size Well while it's being built and it's not producing any energy. And one last thing, the legacy right our current bill to clean up nuclear power stations around about one hundred and fifty billion pounds. We really don't have the technology beyond one hundred years to contain this stuff which has a half life of eight thousand years or something like that. It's longer than recorded human history. And here's anecdotal thought. If the Romans had nuclear power, it's only two thousand years ago. We wouldn't be going to places like Bath to see Roman ruins and bathe in that in that history. It would be a toxic no go zone. And that's what we'll bequeath to future generations.
Speaker 1: But there is a real concern if we get to a place where we don't have very much gas on the grid, where we start to lose nuclear plants on the grid. We have some batteries and we have some hydropower storage, but that's not enough to balance the grid, especially given how the electricity consumption in this country works, which is very seasonal. And if heat pumps to take off and come to a cop of six and our real part of the solution, it'll be an even more skewed consumption. So what do you do then to balance the grid and ensure it works properly.
Speaker 2: Firstly, just something worth knowing. It's often said that, you know, we can't rely on the wind and some because they're driven by the weather. In this five nuclear power stations across who have been turned off because it's too hot. And then if you look at the efficiency of CCGT gas power stations, it fell twenty percent. In June seven gigawats was lost in Britain because of the temperature. Now these technologies we think we can rely on are being affected by the climate crisis. That's an absolute problem. Meanwhile, news out today Europe just hit a record level of solar generation. You can understand why. So that's kind of climate adapted technology. That is, how do we keep the lights on? It's an age old kind of question really, and I think the smart grid is the answer. This emerging kind of field of endeavor AI based real time energy balancing between generation, demand and storage. We have our own system at Ecodrizny and many others have it too. Smart meters in homes is helping us with that, so that we've got access to real time consumption data and then batteries at home as well is a really big part of the answer, so that we can take our housing fleet off the grid at times of peak and put it back on at times of surplus. So I think we have all of the tools actually to make this transition and have sustainable one hunderdcent green grid where the lights stay on.
Speaker 1: Now, among the many businesses that you have launched, ecotricity is the biggest one, but you also have companies that do biogas. You have companies that make diamonds out of captured carbon dioxide. In twenty twenty three, you also launched a company called ecojet, and the idea was to try and provide zero emissions flights that would be hydrogen powered electric motors. The company at one point had seventy planes on order, but as of January this year, it's been liquidated. There hasn't been a single commercial flight. What went wrong?
Speaker 2: Technology delay is as simple as that. So were we were in the queue for some cutting edge technology. I mean, electric motors are not that right, and fuel cells are not that either. They've been around a long time. Combining them into an airframe that's novel. We were aiming to use existing airplanes, which I think is a very sustainable thing to do. It also faster to market, and the idea has not gone away. We've basically put it on. We pressed the balls button, but it made sense just to shut down while the technology company clears its hurdles. I mean, he's been in testing with the Civil Aviation Authority. It was quite advanced, so I'm hoping we'll get to revisit it. The idea is really exciting because it's very much a hearts and minds thing. When we talk about getting to net zero or green living or whatever, most people increasingly these days think it's about giving stuff up. And if we can show that there's a way even to fly in a net zero world, I think that's a real heartsome mind winner for people. You know you can still fly. That's a big deal. In the same way that our sky diamond initiative. I've argued that that's a very similar thing because people like diamonds, right, one hundred and fifty million character a year. I think, of mind, people like diamonds, but they're very harmful. The environment impact is incredible. A fifth of a gramd diamond requires eleven hundred tons of rock to be dug right, which is my mind boggling. What we've done is mind the sky. We take carbon dockside from the sky. We use the window, sun and the rain. All of our ingredients are from the sky, completely negative carbon process. The result diamonds. We say to people that essentially our message is this, we can have the things we like or love in this future world. We just have to find another way to get them.
Speaker 1: At some point I should do an episode on diamonds because it's the one industry whose monopoly has been broken by a captured carbon solution, which is the only kind of captured carbon solution that has worked at scale in a way, even though the scale is only at carrots level. Okay, one other question for you on electrification. This is something you have thought about but you haven't started a company on yet, which is electrifying trains. And to most of our listeners outside the UK, that would sound a little odd. Growing up in India, ninety ninety five percent of Indian trains are now electric. Japanese Treans, Chinese treams, Spanish Streans, French trains, they're all electric. What's wrong with Britain?
Speaker 2: So I think the trains you're talking about probably use overheadlines, correct, and our idea is to avoid the need for that. It's very costly and in a let's say, relatively more complicated country geographically like Britain. Let's say that India. I don't know. Actually by imagine long distances without tunnels, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, there's lots of hills in.
Speaker 2: The hills is okay, But tunnels because tunnels, because with overheadlines, when you get to a tunnel, you have a problem. It's not insurmountable, exactly, it's not ins but this is a cost issue. So the cost of electrifying Britain's railways in that traditional way is enormous. Our answer is just to put batteries in trains.
Speaker 1: Are you doing it?
Speaker 2: We are actually in joint venture discussions with the train company to run a pilot service in Britain. I don't know if it's like a fifty mile town to town type thing. So the answer is almost, we're almost doing it. And here's the thing. I built Britain's first electric car in twenty ten, and back then the batteries were new, the motors were all coming out of R and D, and I always wanted to build a motorcycle, which is which is harder. What I'm trying to say is that if you look at the efficiency of different forms of transport, there's a big difference between the efficiency of a car, a truck and a train and a car will take one ton on one unit of fuel fifty miles, a truck will take the same one ton on the same unit of fuel one hundred and fifty miles, and a train will take the same one ton on the same unit of fuel five hundred miles. There's a massive It's ten times more effective than a car, and we've cracked the relationship between car and battery and range. We can absolutely do that with a train. I don't know if you ever had a train set when you're a kid, one that you put the little batteries in. It's just like that, and patteries are so effective today. I mean, we're just putting some new batteries into a motorcycle that have double the power capacity of the Oldlymian. Once it's changed, just like that, and it will change again and keep changing.
Speaker 1: Coming to the policy side, though, there is an aspect of politics that you would understand, which is once a government sets out as policy, and then because there's new information, new technology, new reports, if it changes its mind, it would be seen. For example, if it cancels heat pump subsidies, it'll be seen as labor rowing back on climate policy. If it does so. In carbon capture labor rowing back on climate policy. How do you suggest a government deal with that kind of criticism, Because it's not just that the right is moved away from climate, the left has also dug deeper on climate. The Green Party is really popular right now, so the Labor Party is losing its vote share not just to the right but also to the left. And how do you maintain that vote share and deal with those types of criticism?
Speaker 2: I understand ecopragmais is my answer. We have to acknowledge the big costs of these programs deep into the future, the unlikely impact on our carbon targets if you look at them, and the priorities of everyday people that are more immediate. So x ecopagmtisms say, yes, we still adhere to our net zero targets, but this spending of money is not a good spending of money. We acknowledge the concerns of the public on this, and we move on. And I say, stop talking about net zero and talk about the green economy, because net zero is about giving stuff up, and it's become a bit of a crusade and it's polarized the public. Let's talk in steid about the green economy, the jobs, the GDP, sustainable growth, that kind of stuff that we gain, not what we lose.
Speaker 1: Where the politics in this country stands today, it's likely that the next general election will have net zero as either the main stress point between parties, between Reform and Conservatives on one side don't want net zero, and then Labor and Green and libdam's who want net zero? You know, ten years ago Brexit happened and then we've had six prime ministers since and that was a divisive issue. Does net zero become that?
Speaker 2: I think it is that, but I don't think it has to be the way that you forecast at the next general election. I think if Labor get busy and then bold, then we can transform the cost of living. We can half the price of energy. We can one of our proposers as a national solar rooftop program to put sort of on five million public sector homes to give people a real experience of the green economy, the lower energy builds and that kind of stuff. We can transform the landscape in the next three years. And we don't need to argue for net zero. I say, don't argue for it at all. Talk about the green economy, show the benefits that we're getting from that economy and how important that transition is. To give you an example, some years ago, maybe four, now, maybe five, not really sure, we stopped arguing for green energy on the basis of the climate. We just stopped and we started to talk about energy independence, and it's a really popular term and concept, and we said, it's not about ice caps and polar bears. Actually it's about jobs and GDP. It's a different presentation of the same thing. We get to fight climate and get to net zero at the same time. But that's the kind of unseen benefit. That's not the forefront argument, it's just the background impact.
Speaker 1: Is that how you think Burnham should deal with Trump.
Speaker 2: I think he should tell Trump to keep his nose out, And that's a different thing. This is how I think Burnham should deal with the public and with reform. And this toxic issue is now toxic of net zero. Pivot away from it, focus on the green economy, take back that fifty billion pounds half energy bills with a series of reforms. We've got four policies that will triple GDP growth, which I'm hoping to get in front of the new government at some point. And I think it's all there for us to do where we need boldness and we haven't had it.
Speaker 1: Thank you deal, thank you, that's great. Thank you for listening to zero. Now for the sound of the week. That is the sound of a firefighting plane picking up water to help put out wildfires. If you liked this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar boyd Our. Theme music is composed by Wonder Lee. Special thanks to Amin Farath, Lucy White, Olivia Rudgaard, Samersadi, Laura Milan, Summer Maxwell, and Alyssa McDonald. I'm Makshadrati back soon.