Speaker 1: From Mahart where Innovation, Money and Power colle in Silicon Valley, NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 2: I'm Caroline Heinde at Bluemog's world head quarters in New York and Imed Lovelow in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: This is Blueberg Technology coming up.
Speaker 2: The EU gives Microsoft the green light for at sixty nine billion dollar takeover of Activision Blizzard. We'll discuss what this actually means for the gaming industry's biggest ever deal.
Speaker 4: And we'll talk Twitter, as Linda Yacarino prepares to take the helm at the social media company, how will her experience help nuwer advertisers back to the platform.
Speaker 2: Plus we'll talk all things artificial intelligence. We sit down with the CEO C three AI as a result Beat and we get the startup AI perspective from the venture firm in Site Park. All that so much more coming up. Before we go into the startups, Let's go into the big caps. Let's go into what's happening in the public markets. Ed, interestingly, I'm stealing your funder. Let's take it back to what's actually more broadly my focus, which is the Nasdaq, which is actually up about half a percentage point. It's outperforming the rest of the industries. On the day, we're outperforming the rest of the benchmarks, even though we're basically a little bit cautious. Volumes are lower, we're worried about a course the debt ceiling, we're worried about some of that New York data that came in in terms of manufacturing look lackluster, and basically we're a little bit more cautious on our outlook. But we are seeing big tech being brought just tentatively on those thinner volumes up five ten percent. The tenure yield push is higher. As we hear from some Fed speakers where afar our boss think being one of them who sits down with might make here a little bit later. But he's talking about look no, and pushing him back against your viewpoint that we're going to be cutting rates here in the US anytime soon. Interesting moves over in Turkey, could we see political upheaval. In fact, we have a down day overall for assets over there, and the dollar strengthens versus the Turkish lira. Moving on, let's look at what's happening in terms of crypto in terms of Bitcoin, and actually as though it actually weekends on the day, just a little bit ed. We are seeing Bitcoin just getting a bit of a bid, but we're still only at twenty seven thousand, so still not managing to push through that thirty thousand dollars level, but get into where I almost took of here a little moment ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we woke up to a quiet Monday right carry this morning, worried about news, but we have had some that's moving markets. Metha now up two point four percent, lou Kappaso upgrading that stock from a hold to a buy. We'll bring you those details later in the program, along with C three AIP eighteen percent early release of results, upgrading modestly it's full year forecast for sales. We're going to speak to the CEO about what's really happening all the investor interests around AI related names. Tesla actually now flat melon. Musk has been in France where he met with President mac quhan. But there was some feel good in that sock. Of course, when we got details of a new Twitter CEO on Friday, the idea being that Elon Musk now will be more focused on Tesla less distracted at Twitter, but we're giving back some of those games, off by around a tenth percent, basically flat. The big story this Monday is that the European Union, through the European Commission, has proved Microsoft's deal to buy Activision Blizzard for sixty nine billion dollars. We're going to get into the details over the analysis and reasoning what it means for the cloud gaming market.
Speaker 3: In particular, we see the share reaction.
Speaker 4: It was modest at first, rop a percentage point, highest level in three weeks on Activision, more modest, up just two tens percent on Microsoft separately, completely separately, Bloomberg reporting that Microsoft's cloud unit, as You're is the subject of scrutiny from a U antitrust regulators, according to sources. We'll get those details later in the program. A lot now going on.
Speaker 2: They've been busy, haven't they, All this focus on competition and pushing back against it.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about it all.
Speaker 2: We've got our senior litigation analyst of Bloomberg Intelligence, Jennifer Rye. We've also got Anna London, our legal reporter Kavin Gummel. Catherine starting with you wasn't a surprise to see the EU sort of take a different stance from the UK.
Speaker 5: Hi, there m nor so, this wasn't a surprise decision.
Speaker 6: We were intcipating that the European Commission would accept this deal with behavioral remedy. These behavioral remedies include those too late rivals have access to the games for our owns ten years, and the Commission said that with these conditions that will allow the deal to be pro competitive.
Speaker 4: Jen, I'm going to come to you at Bloomberg Intelligence. In the analysis published by the European Commission, Jen, they say that actually this is going to be pro growth, pro market. How is their analysis so different to that of the UK CMA.
Speaker 3: Are they just reading two different sets of data?
Speaker 7: You know, it's really just about a different prediction as to what's going to happen with cloud gaming in the future. And you know, I think it just shows how difficult these merger decisions can be when they're involving tech and when they're involving future markets, because it's really they're looking at a crystal ball and they're speculating about what can happen, and reasonable minds can differ. The European Commission views Microsoft's move to guarantee that these these games Call of Duty and World of Warcraft that it would be acquiring from Activision would be on these other cloud services also in other cloud subscriptions, and that's not the way things are today.
Speaker 8: Those games aren't available.
Speaker 7: So the European Commission is looking at this as output expanding or pro competitive, whereas the UK is saying, no, you know, we think Microsoft today has too much power in the cloud and by having these great games, this must have content for some gamers. In the future, they'll be able to push out these other cloud gaming services and these other competitors, and we're trying to prevent that. We're trying to prevent Microsoft from being dominant in this market in the future.
Speaker 8: So they just sort of saw what was going to happen in the future.
Speaker 4: Differently, Catherine, we knew this was coming at least the timing of the decision. Now through the twenty second we got it. Bloomberg sources had said that the EU would rule in favor of the deal. So what happens now? What is the process that we're tracking at Bloomberg News.
Speaker 6: Yes, so that's to say has given a glimmer of hope to Microsoft, but it's not going to change things massively. Microsoft already faced massive challenges in the US with the FTC having blocked to sue, and in the UK the Microsoft will have to lodge its appeal at the Competitional Peel Tribunal by the end of the month, and that will be really difficult because the CAT is a judicial review process, so you know, they'll just look at the legality of the CMA's decision rather than really assessing the merits of that choice.
Speaker 2: And what is interesting, Jen is that, well, we just heard it from Catherine, a glimmer of hope coming, but realistically this is an uphill battle, even though we do see a share price reaction for activision Brizard, Ultimately, from your analysis, it feels like you don't think the tune is being changed here and what sort of timeline do you think this deal ultimately unwinding.
Speaker 5: You know, in your perspectivities.
Speaker 7: See this changing things very much, because at the end of the day, there is a very high standard to overturn a CMA decision. I actually did a little research and I looked at merger decisions by the CMA that had actually been reversed or sent back to the CMA on appeal, and it was about thirty percent, so that's a low percentage, so it's a high standard.
Speaker 8: It's going to be difficult, and.
Speaker 7: The European Commission's decision is separate and based on the separate analysis and maybe even different market conditions. So I don't really think it factors in much, and it doesn't change the fact that Microsoft has this very high, difficult standard to meet to overturn that decision.
Speaker 8: And then timing. You mentioned timing.
Speaker 7: I think that's so important here because even if Microsoft is successful, let's say.
Speaker 8: On appeal to in the UK, and even with their.
Speaker 7: Lawsuit that's coming up in August in the US against the Federal Trade Commission, you're looking at a very very long time period before there could be an actual ultimate final outcome. Because the CMA, let's say, the appeal tribunal doesn't like the decision or thinks the facts need to be reevaluated, I'll send it back to the CMA to'll look at it again. And in the US, even if the administrative large judge that will be hearing this trial rules for Microsoft, the FEC can appeal and the appeal will go back to the Commissioners the very three commissioners that voted to sue to begin with, So there's a good chance that would be reversed. At which point Microsoft an Activision could appeal to a federal report. But we're talking way into the end of twenty twenty four here, so a long time frame if they really want to have success.
Speaker 4: Jen Catherine Bobby Kotik, the CEO of Activision, is sent through an emailed statement to us and he says that the EC conducted an extremely thorough, deliberate process. But the bit that jumps out at me is although they required stringent remedies, and I think that's a reference to the ten year of access, ten years of access to cloud platforms on call of duty. Catherine, remind us, when they go back to the CMA and make this appeal in the UK, they're not necessarily appealing the decision in and of itself. They're appealing how that decision was made. They're appealing the process. Remind us, what has to happen.
Speaker 6: Yes, exactly that, so what the cat They don't look at the medus of this decision, They just look at it in a judicial review process, and which would will be the legality of the decisions, so you know, they can look at things whether the CME was irrational or you know, if there was any procedural procedural errors there that they might have got wrong. I mean, I think it's also important to understand with this process that if the CAT does find that there are any errors made, that the CAT will then actually refer that back to the CME itself. So that is another hurdle for Microsoft that it will need to pass.
Speaker 4: Yes, we should point out that the UKCMA did come out with a response this morning saying they stand by their original decision, so we'll wait and see what happens. Bloombergs Cafferinemol and Jennifer Ree of Bloomberg Intelligence, thank you very much. Sticking with Microsoft and antitrust, we've mentioned it that earlier Microsoft's Azure cloud business has been targeted by the European Union's Anti Trust Arm and MID concerns the US software firm is leveraging its market power to squeeze out rivals as part of an informal probe. Regulators are quizzing competitors and customers about how Microsoft may be using its access to business sensitive information belonging to cloud firms. It has commercial dealings with that all. According to sources.
Speaker 2: Carrot competition analysts, they're busy, So too is one Linda Yakarino. We know that she's saying she's excited to transform Twitter ed. We're going to be talking about what she brings to the social media platform and more with three past studios Stephen wolf Herrera joining the show. So Twitter's incoming CEO, Linda Yakarina says she's excited to transform the company and achieving La Musk's vision for the platform. In her first few tweets since galning the job, Yacarina said, look, she's committed to the development of the social media company and said feedback from users is vital to that future. I speak to someone who knows her impact, none of for fifteen years. At least three past studios. Chief business Officer Stephen wolf Perrera is in the studio with us. And when you heard that this force that you've worked and seen and interacted with for fifteen years is going to be taking the helm, what did your immediately think?
Speaker 9: I thought it was a brilliant move.
Speaker 10: The platform needs a radical transformation. They need to have credibility with the marketplace, with brands with consumers, and Linda has a track record around innovation really putting consumers first. So I think it was a brilliant move for a platform that desperately needed to change.
Speaker 2: And is it safety first? Is it innovation first? How does she manage to square that circle of a CTO who's going to want to be pushing ahead with innovation and perhaps running fast and breaking things.
Speaker 10: Look on the technology side, I mean, obviously elans a visionary and he'll be able to certainly figure out the path from Twitter to transform it to the super ad x. But you need to stay biard as the business. I mean, right now, it's been bleeding advertisers. No one wants to be on the platform. There's been all this drama around it. And Linda's a stabilizing force. I mean, she's spent over ten years at NBC Universal really stabilizing that company, growing it over thirteen billion dollars in sales, leading their upfront, leading you know, kind of innovation with data with other TV networks, really trying to bring the community together.
Speaker 9: And she is a force to be reckoned with.
Speaker 10: I mean, there's a reason why they have her nickname being developed Hammer because she's able to negotiate with brands. She's tough, she's fair, but or you know, number one is really to bring brands back onto the.
Speaker 2: Platform, and to do that alongside an executive chair, of course, said and I mean you know a lot about the people that worked alongside Elan over the years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting how it works. So at SpaceX you have Gwynn Shotwell as the COO and president running things day to day. At Tesla, particularly in recent courses, Zach Kirk on the CFO is like more visible and other executives like literally appearing on stage. So I guess, even to your mind, how do you see that working. You know, Linda who you know with Elon Musk day to day, do you think that she can get him to see reason or compromise.
Speaker 9: I think so.
Speaker 10: I mean we saw a trial run of what their relationship is going to look like about a month ago in Miami there was the Possible Conference, a big marketing event, and she was on stage doing a fireside chat interview with Elon and she didn't pull any punches. I mean, Linda's not a wallflower, right, I mean, she's very tough, she knows her business. You know, she is a good New Yorker, grew up in Long Island, you know, Italian heritage.
Speaker 9: I mean, she's as tough as they come.
Speaker 10: And she asked him the tough questions on stage, and so you could see that she didn't shy away from asking him about, Hey, why did Twitter cancel the client council that they had? Are you going to bring that back? Are you going to stop doing tweets at three in the morning. You know that's not good for the platform. So I feel that she knows this space, she knows this industry, and she's beloved by brands and marketers and media agencies. And so if he's smart, he'll really give her the range. Let her be the CEO, let her build this platform, and then bring all the innovation to really help connect content, commerce and community.
Speaker 4: We go back to it, how does she build this platform? You know Elon sets out his ideas as CTO, many of them.
Speaker 3: We know about subscription based.
Speaker 4: Service, algorithm, algorithmically addressing where things appear in the tie timeline. Then what impacts Linda going to have when she comes in? What ideas can she actually install?
Speaker 10: Well, first, it's about leadership. I mean the company has what lost so many employees. They've obviously let a ton of people go. You know, they are a fraction of what they were before. I feel like there has been this crisis and confidence in Twitter, and here is a real leader who's going to come in and stabilize the business and bring back that confidence, bring back the trust of not just the employees but also the advertising community.
Speaker 9: And you have to start there.
Speaker 10: I mean, at the end of the day, this has to be about getting the basics right. And she knows how to build a business. She is a leader, she is inspiring. She will bring talent to the commpany. I mean, she built a data business from scratch for NBCU. She understands e commerce, she understands analytics, and so she had that full span of control on the business side. Again, you have incredible engineers and technologies over at Twitter, certainly at the Helm with you on, but you know, having her really lead the business side, that's what this company needs.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, of course talking about the Data League, talking about ultimately how you show brands that you're making impacts, the right impact for them converting into sales.
Speaker 5: But I'm also interested in the grander vision.
Speaker 2: Many people had to quickly Google or search or chat shipt who.
Speaker 5: Linda Yacarino is.
Speaker 2: But behind the scenes, she's really has had a very powerful influence, had a very influential job. What vision do you think she thinks Twitter ultimately is going to be to make this a worth her wild kind of move.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, look, she was the chairwoman of NBC Universal's ad sales business, right, she had a great job. She was one of the most powerful people in media. So for her to leave, it had to be something really compelling. It had to be a bigger vision. And I think Elance shared the vision for the super app for x and I feel that she got really excited about that.
Speaker 9: And so again her ability.
Speaker 10: To innovate, to bring consumers and brands along on this journey. That's a very unique position to be. And she understands content. She actually was a partner for Twitter for years. Think about the Olympics and the Super Bowl and World Cup, all those mega events that truly have global ramifications.
Speaker 9: She was at the center of that.
Speaker 10: So now to bring that lens around again, content, commerce and community. Everyone is trying to connect that and as one of the largest media brands on the planet, she understood that an audience, whether it's eighteen to thirty four, eighteen to forty nine, whatever advertisers are looking for, they could find that audience anywhere. The reality means you have to make a compelling to put those dollars on Twitter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we reported that there were others involved in that relationship NBC in Twitter, and she was at a macro level.
Speaker 3: But that's great insight.
Speaker 4: Three Pass Studios Chief business Officer, Stephen Wolf Pereira, thank you very.
Speaker 9: Much, Thanks so much.
Speaker 4: Now coming up, Miguel McKelvey joins to talk about his recent which include his acquisition of clothing brand American Giant and a social network for senior aged users.
Speaker 3: More on that. Next, this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: In an effort to revitalize manufacturing in the US. Miguel McKelvey, co founder of we Work, says he's buying clothing brand American Giant. There's also plans to build a new social network for users fifty five in older. Miguel McKelvey joins us now for more on what's quite a few announcements. I find manufacturing fascinating. Think about the world of technology on this show we operate in and actually that's a big part of the story, why do you want to revitalize US manufacturing?
Speaker 1: Well, it started for me with really, you know, the same kind of response that I had to office workers with we work, is that the environment that people are working in just isn't great and isn't a nice.
Speaker 3: Place to be.
Speaker 1: Like sitting in a cubicle for ten hours a day to me was seemed terrible. And similarly, I think that the working environments where people make things have really been brought down to the lowest possible, you know, from a design, from an ergonomic, from just a human perspective, And it makes sense because you know, you have to compete with really low labor in other places in the world. But I think in the US, for our future, you know, we can create jobs and places to work that are that are much better, and I think that's what can unlock, you know, a new future for American manufacturer.
Speaker 4: Miguel across all of your projects, was it difficult to engage with investors? Did you have to do some reputational rebuilding or explain what happened that we work your associations with Adam Are those questions.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think they're fair.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of the stuff that I worked on was the we Work product and obviously building helping to build an organization that scaled to you know, hundreds of locations around the world, and that is a credibility which I think is lasting. I mean, we were able to do amazing things. And then there's obviously another layer of things at the company that didn't go as well, and you know, people always have questions about that, and oftentimes I would say, you know, people want to know the we Work storty. You know, there's a sort of insatiable, insatiable desire to learn more about what happened that we work. So I don't mind those conversations. You know, for me, it's still a learning process. I still like reflecting on those times because I learned from all those conversations. So yeah, I mean I wouldn't say reputational as much as just people are really curious.
Speaker 2: People are curious also, of course that you're getting back into the world of commercial real estate. In many ways we're thinking of is it nia how you say it, a focus on a social network but in a real life one for people fifty five years and older. I can see the relevance of the relevancy of this with older parents who complain about noise levels and the way in which one interacts. But ultimately does the real estate arc that we're currently on at the moment mean that you're getting good prices. People are worried about the banks, for example, and their exposure to real estate, particular commercial real estate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's a parallel to you know, we work. When we first started, we were coming out of that financial crisis back you know, two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight, and then there was a big dip in commercial real estate back then, and that actually helped us acquire, you know, especially in the early days, good deals on our initial buildings. And so I think that opportunity is similar. A lot of people were coming to me with future of work questions, you know, what do you think is going to happen? What role do you want to play in it? And honestly, I have to say I'm a bit not bored. But it's just I've sort of been there, done that, and for me to re enter that market didn't make sense to me. But I do think there are a lot of parallels. I mean, I want to create communities for people where they you know, enter and spend time in spaces that make them feel good. And I think that's where this opportunity became clear, you know, an intersection of what I love to do and the opportunity in real estate.
Speaker 2: Briefly, Adam Newman, of course, your co foundal We Work, is also back in the way to take game.
Speaker 5: Would you ever work with him again?
Speaker 1: You know, for me, my main thing is growth and learning. I like to keep expanding on, you know, the experiences that life can offer me. And you know, Adam is a CEO, he's a he's a top dog and a leader, and and for me, I want to I want to learn how to be in that position. I want to lead a company. And so it doesn't make sense right now for us to work together, but I you know, for no reason other than I just want to keep growing on my own journey.
Speaker 2: Michael, thanks for telling us your journey. American giant proto Naya come on and talk to us about it again.
Speaker 5: Migael mc kelvey, co founder of we.
Speaker 2: Work, welcome back to blue their technology. I'm Caroline Hyde in New York.
Speaker 4: And im Ed Lovelow in San Francisco. Caroline, just get a check on markets. We're in quite a tight range. When it comes to equity markets, look at the NAZET one hundred up three ten percent. A lot of focus on what's happening with the debt ceiling debate out in DC, a little bit of caution outperformance in semiconductors. I look at the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index. Every name in the green apart from one which is a SML currently flat, a lot of upside there, yields climbing a little higher four basis points on the ten year three point five percent, and as you noted earlier, Bitcoin on its way back up again towards or an above twenty seven five hundred US dollars per token. In terms of the specific names and movers that we're watching, the big newsflow mover is obviously Activision and Microsoft, those two names moving to the upside. Microsoft basically flat now, but Activision up one point three percent after the European Commission approved the deal for Microsoft to acquire the video game maker for sixty nine billion US dollars. Look at C three AI up nineteen percent, carrow biggest Johnpson's the end of March out early with results slightly raising full year guidance, but also some response from the company to short sellar reports that we'll get into with the C three AI CEO Tom Sebel joins us. Now, Tom, you modestly raise guidance for the full year. Caroline's been doing a great job covering how a lot of the equity market activity at the start of this year is all AI driven. Was your guidance raised? Just the authoria that we've seen in AI.
Speaker 11: High ed Hi, carolinan We with all the planning activity that's going on after the end of the year for a fiscal year twenty four and twenty five for new products, new customers, new growth, and now this is going on the world. We had a lot of good news to report and we wanted to make sure that there wasn't an inadvertent selective.
Speaker 12: Disclosure of this information.
Speaker 11: So we issued this release just to make sure that the information was provided to the market in a manner that's compliant with all SEC regulations.
Speaker 2: Thomas, it's fascinating C three generative AI for enterprise search. I think it was March that you unveiled this. You've said at the moment that the addressable market for enterprise AI is extraordinarily large, but everyone's fighting for it. We just had, of course cause Palenteers saying they want to take the whole market for generative AI, and they're particularly active in some of the defense areas that you are.
Speaker 5: Can there be multiple players? How are you feeling about competition?
Speaker 11: I think what we look at is so Caroline, As you know, for some years now, for over a decade, we've been talking about this emerging market for applying artificial intelligence the enterprises to improve their business operations. Now, I think as we power into twenty twenty three, the whole world has come around to seeing that this is a huge addressable market and there's no corporation that want doesn't want to take advantage of it. This looks like a larger than a half a billion half a trillion dollar addressable software market growing very rapidly, and I think there's going to be an opportunity for many companies to be.
Speaker 12: Quite successful in this space after it's over. This is this is a big.
Speaker 2: One, and how are they using your particular offering? How you are building for these companies? We just saw a load of the names proving different well.
Speaker 11: We use AI to basically make all these enterprise applications that have been installed in the last three decades erp CRM manufacturing supply chain to make them predictive, so that we can predict how many parts we need in each component of our supply chain, so we deliver products on time in it in full, say air Force, we use it to predict device failure or system failure in weapons systems like aircraft so that they have increased availability, fraud detection, customer churn. So these are the most common applications of enterprise AI to business processes, and I think that there is no CEO in the world that is not now trying to figure out how this is not kind of number one on his or her list. You're trying to figure out how to use these technologies to advance their market position.
Speaker 3: Tom.
Speaker 4: On April fourth, Carrisdale Capital, a known short seller, alleged serious accounting and disclosure issues with C three AI. What is your latest response to that short seller report.
Speaker 11: Well, you can see on our website that our audit committee conducted an impetitive investigation with independent outside council and independent accounting firm and determined that all of those allegations were a complete bunk, and so we published that this morning. It's been well reported that Carrisdale is under investigation by the Department of Justice for doing this sort of thing to manipulate stock prices to their economic advantage. If this is true, it's highly unlawful. We expect to have the opportunity to cooperate with the Department of Justice and this activity, and hopefully the Department of Justice will do their job and if they find that there is wrongdoing, hopefully these people will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Speaker 3: Okay, Tom, thank you for the update on that.
Speaker 4: I went to our audience and I said, Tom Siebel's coming on the show.
Speaker 3: What do you want to know? One question that caught my eye.
Speaker 4: Are there any government or public sector contracts that you have turned down for ethics reasons when it relates to AI.
Speaker 11: Yes, there is a government and I won't say which one, Okay.
Speaker 3: Is asked come on, you've got to say which one, now, Tom, Which government.
Speaker 12: That has asked us to use AI?
Speaker 11: To a Western government, because that's all we do business with, that has asked us to use AI to identify extremists in the population, We think that we don't want to touch that. On a more less controversial note, Okay, we've been asked. We were asked some years ago to build an hr AI enabled hr system for the Department of the Army. Okay, this would use a AI to determine who to promote, who to assign.
Speaker 12: Now we neglect.
Speaker 11: We elected not to do that because what we're doing is propagating cultural bias. No matter what the question is, the answer will be white male went to West Point and in twenty first century, that answer is simply not going to fly. And so there are other companies in our business who would get a snap of that opportunity to a second but but we won't do those things.
Speaker 2: Basically, you're saying yourself regulating Tom, and I'm interested in what you make of the guardrails, whether they're being put in place enough amid private markets. We just had the Credo AI CEO on recently. Navina, who's working along with Booz Allen. I know you do a lot of work with Booz Allen thinking about how we can have these guardrails put in place by the companies themselves. Ultimately, do you think government needs to be ahead of the curve here? You have a lot of ex government officials on your board.
Speaker 11: For example, Caroline, I think you're raising a very important issue. I mean, this matter of the ethical application of AI is hugely important. I mean, these technologies are extraordinarily powerful, and pretty soon it will be almost virtually impossible for a mortal to determine the difference in news in fake news. These questions call into the question our ability to conduct free and open democratic societies.
Speaker 12: So this is very troubling stuff.
Speaker 11: I don't believe that in the long run that self regulation is going to work. We've seen too many private enterprises and by the way, too many public sector organizations that do not act beneficially. But you know, it is an important issue and it does need to be discussed or this will go to some.
Speaker 12: Horrible places.
Speaker 4: Tom, I want to come to you and ask about your costs. There's a lot of emphasis on particularly chip design, you know, finding the most efficient path forward to power cloud, the energy costs behind building large language models, training foundational models. How are you kind of making sure that in all the work you're doing you said you're bringing new products in that you're still not letting kind of costs some ravel and get out of control.
Speaker 11: Well, our costs, so our cost in operating these these large language models and these enterprise AI applications and our customer's costs are primarily from these vendors that provide the cloud infrastructure, from Google Cloud, from AWS, from microsofts who are what have you now? I think that you know these guys who operate these companies and those companies that are behind them, like in Nvidia.
Speaker 12: These are very smart people and.
Speaker 11: They are I think making amazing kind of breakthroughs in chip technology and energy efficiency technology, and I'm confident they will be able to provide these massive scale computation on storage infrastructures available to governments and private enterprises at more than acceptable cost.
Speaker 2: Tom, great to catch up with you. Thanks coming on on a busy day. Tom Cwell is C three AI CEO in mob blomog News is in touch with Caristale about, of course, what Tom has said. If they want to make further comment, We appreciate your comments today. Meanwhile, sticking with AI, Google is adding two new features in its image search to reduce the spread of misinformation, especially now that the artificial intelligence tools have made the creation of folk so realistic fakes all the more common. That the new feature is called about this image, You're going to get context with it. You're going to understand when the image or similar ones we first index by Google, where they first appeared and where else they shown up online? Coming up? Guess what we're talking AI? Yes, but this time from a venture perspective. How are you starting out your investment journey? Where are the startups that you want me backing? George Matthew Manage, director of Insight Partners, with plenty of expertise in the field of AI and mL joining us next.
Speaker 5: This is bringing back.
Speaker 11: I think the hype around AI is under hyped given the impact I think is going to have on the way we work and live.
Speaker 3: The top of my questions from many of our customers.
Speaker 2: Is you know, how can they continue in a waking responsibly or get crushed by this generative AI wa.
Speaker 10: I think it's going to take a while for regulatory frameworks come into place, given the lack of knowledge it appears and people in Washington.
Speaker 2: I really think it's going to be incumbent on companies themselves to be responsible and.
Speaker 13: How they're taking advantage of this technology and putting in place those guardrails.
Speaker 1: We train our models to actually understand what is the information on the web that corroborates it that backs up the information and if we can't corroborate it, then we will.
Speaker 3: Not output it.
Speaker 10: And what we're seeing today is a lot of AI tourists pretending to be AI natives.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a lot of companies who are not selling solutions, they're ultimately just selling vaporware.
Speaker 10: AI is something that's you know, we actually know a lot about our industry.
Speaker 3: Is no stranger to it.
Speaker 1: So for almost all of us experience the beauty of a generativ I.
Speaker 2: There's some of our recent guests and what they had to say about the AI landscape, both from a fauner perspective to an investing one. So let's keep talking about it. We've got our VC Spotlight moment with George matthew Managing director of Insight Partners, who too has had.
Speaker 5: A journey as a builder as.
Speaker 2: A ceokspre You were over at Outrix as well, really helping that business go public and now you're on the finding the new vet side of the equation.
Speaker 5: And George, what do you make of the hype around AI?
Speaker 9: Is it hype?
Speaker 5: Is it reality? How you seeing the week from the chaff at the moment?
Speaker 13: Yeah, Carolyn, question you asked that question. When you think about what's going on in AI right now, it's very clear that there is a fair amount of hype today. But when we look at this down the line ten years from now, we'll realize that absolutely incredible things are happening right now as we speak in terms of building this next generation of software. And this is where Insight has been focused for almost twenty six years, in terms of really helping guide many of the great founders and executives in building great software companies.
Speaker 2: Do the guidance for a moment, because yes, you're there with your AI, your mL had set on, and I'm sure you're thinking about companies that have that as their bones to invest in. But when I think of Insight, I'm also thinking the ed tech companies you have, the e commerce companies that you have, the companies that are being disrupted enormously by artificial intelligence, particularly generative How much are you having to guide those companies to become AI native?
Speaker 13: In many ways, in my view, every company has an opportunity to become an AI company, And if you think about the opportunity that exists, particularly within the inside portfolio, many of those companies have incredible amounts of private data. Well, what is that opportunity when you look at the market for really building AI companies at scale in the future, It turns out it's our private data. And so when we work with many of our portfolio companies, we really help them understand the use of that data to be able to build analytical models, to be able to build generative models at scale, and be able to support the scale of their existing business being an AI driven one.
Speaker 2: It really is going back to that Kafe Wood conversation we had several months ago and again about proprietary data and how important it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the thing for me, George is we have been our coaster on the show a couple of weeks ago, and he made this claim that ninety percent of the companies that you guys are putting money into is an industry. They're not going to make it. So I wonder what the strategy then is whether you have to have a much a portfolio of companies now just to make sure that in a crowded field you find the kind of shining star.
Speaker 13: I think when you look at this market today, there are many companies that are going to struggle in their transition to really deliver AI solutions at scale. We ad Insight really focus on the businesses that really understand a few things really well.
Speaker 9: One is the ability.
Speaker 13: To have that private data available to them to be able to build their AI products. Two is to be able to look at user experiences. Three is to be able to have a great workflow that fits into the rest of the way that that software works inside their specific industry. When you find the combination of those three or four things, you have a very interesting, compelling business. For example, if you look at where Jasper is today as a business, they were able to really build a mechsuit for content marketers to be able to drive the scale of which they are able to produce contact at a speed that's ten x greater than any you've seen before. And so that's a great example of a business that can take the combination of the things that I just mentioned and really build an AI driven business at scale.
Speaker 4: George, why does Insight sit on the debate around regulation and guardrails?
Speaker 13: At Insight, we're really looking at how the changing regulation is continuing to evolve. We definitely believe that there's a need to positively regulate the industry, particularly as there's tremendous changes that are occurring.
Speaker 9: At a boat, societal and a corporate level.
Speaker 13: We at Insight really focus on really helping our founders just achieve the scale and their businesses and as they think through the opportunities, particularly from an AI standpoint, how can they build very competitive modes over time to be able to scale their businesses accordingly.
Speaker 2: And motes that are international in many ways. I'm interested in when you look at your previous successes, check interestingly, an education tech company that's now having to grapple with AI disrupting this business model, Ali Baba, a Chinese based company. And actually even O Coster was saying he's more worried at the moment about China growing AI than he is really about whether or not a lot of the ones growing here.
Speaker 5: And we talk chaff how.
Speaker 2: Do you think about these two ecosystems evolving, whether US can quote unquote win the race.
Speaker 13: I think we're at a moment here where there is a tremendous advantage for US based companies. And why is that Because if you think about what comes out of a AI or generative model, it's the ability to fuel what we think of as reinforcement learning and that feedback loop from a reinforcement learning standpoint, whether it be machines humans or humans and machines driving it together, really improve models over time. When you look at certain totalitarian regimes, it turns out that feedback loop isn't as significant as when you see the impact of really building a business inside of Western democracy. So in our view, we see a slight advantage right now for companies that are building their corporations in the context of Western democracy, where you can see a lot of that reinforcement learning really be impacting the positive reinforcement of building models at scale.
Speaker 4: George Matthew, Managing director of Insight Partners out there in New York, thank you very much for your time