Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome back to bad You're Happy Hour. I'm Joe and I'm Serena and we are here today with the Bachelor at herself Jen Jen, welcome back. How are you.
Speaker 2: It's good to be back. I missed you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we missed you too. We were saying right before you got here a year. This is your fourth time, and I'm sure we're gonna probably have you at least two more times. That would be sick. So you might be the most interviewed person ever.
Speaker 3: Joey, this is up there, and so is Bryden from Charity season.
Speaker 1: We had him a lot too, We had.
Speaker 3: Him so many times. He's always on the podcast. He's great. But I feel like you're gonna rival them at some point, which is great because we love having you.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll think about it. Depends how this one goes.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's yeah, She's like, I hated it. I'm knocking back.
Speaker 1: It's like, fuck you guys, stop calling me on this. Okay, what's new? How you feeling?
Speaker 2: I'm feeling great? Nothing knew, nothing crazy new. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Are you engaged now? Let's let's kind of break down.
Speaker 3: Wait, are you back in school?
Speaker 2: No? I could not be doing everything that I'm doing right now and being in school now. I tried to for like a week and I was like, I'm not doing that, So no, I'm not in school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I no, that would be just so incredibly overwhelming. Do you know when you'll go back.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go back in January. So I'm just gonna ride the waves out for the rest of the year and then yeah, go back to like really really normal life in January, which I'm excited for.
Speaker 3: That'll be perfect.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna break down. We want to break down this week's episode because it was wild and we need to talk about your acts coming back. But before we do, let's kind of get into just like you being a bachelorette, you know, or just night one, you're riding up in the limo. What's going on in your head?
Speaker 2: I mean, in my head, I was kind of like, this is nothing different than flirting with a bunch of men at the bar, except they're all coming to you out of a limo instead of like you to them at the bar and having them buy your drinks. So I don't know, I wasn't like, I was like kind of nervous, but not really. I feel like at that point I was like kind of all used to like the cameras and everything, so I was very much like trying to be myself as much as possible, and I really just had fun with it.
Speaker 1: Did you feel the difference though, from being in the limbo pulling up as the lead opposed to being in limo pulling up as a contestant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't black out this time around. Like I was so comfortable in my own skin and I wasn't nervous, and I felt like this time around, I felt really in control of things. Like I just felt like I knew what was going to happen, or like I knew what I was going to say, Like I don't know, Like I felt just more comfortable in my own skin than the other way around. Where you come into this world that you've never been in before, and you're just kind of like a little sheep in a farm.
Speaker 3: That makes sense looking back now, What were the night when entrances that really stood out to you?
Speaker 2: Uh? I came with the balloons for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We really didn't talk about him much on Night one. But every time I think of Night one, I picture you and then I put your Headkeey with the balloons.
Speaker 2: Me too, Me too, because the balloons reminded me of the movie Up and I thought it was so cute, Like I really liked it.
Speaker 3: That's a sad movie, though I know I never watched it, because that's why everyone says.
Speaker 2: That one's also like kind of romantic, you know, when Jeremy pulled up with his nice car and his big penis whatever, that was a big moment as well. And then what else was there? Oh, Jonathan with the gown and the mask, and yeah.
Speaker 1: Were there any guys from their limo entrances that you knew you were keeping and or knew you were not keeping? Just based off of those.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, I didn't like definitively say no in my head, but in my head I was like, well, give him a conversation, but if it's still like just not it, then he's going home kind of thing. Like I think I wasn't like a strict yes or no out of the limo. I really think the conversations later in the night played a big role in like my decisions.
Speaker 1: Was there anyone that you were felt more nervous around.
Speaker 2: On Night one? I don't know if I was maybe like Sam m I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: That that checks out. At least from the beginning of the first few episodes.
Speaker 3: I feel like, I don't know if you're like this, but I am. I'm never really nervous about a first flirty convo with a hottie, but I get nervous once I realized I might like them, and that's when the nerves set in exactly.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't think I was super nervous with him on night one, but as obviously as the episode's gone, like, I definitely got more nervous with him because then I was like, oh, I like him, But on night one, yeah, I mean I was like really comfortable with a lot of them.
Speaker 3: Nice. How did you feel about not being the mansion?
Speaker 2: It felt good. I mean, obviously there's like a sense of nostalgia, so like the Bachelor Mansion, and I was kind of looking forward to being back there and all the memories coming back. But I also felt like a sense of kind of refreshing, like renewal situation going on, because I was like, I am kind of breaking the mold in a lot of ways just being the first an Asian American bachelrette. And and so I think having a new mansion was like, was was good vibes? I liked it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know if you could disclose this. Did you know that you were traveling right away? Did you know you were going to Australia?
Speaker 2: So I didn't exactly know, sort of like Jesse told me on the first night, and I was so excited, But I had heard kind of rumors beforehand from previous girls. I don't know how they knew that rumors were kind of going right, So I didn't know for sure.
Speaker 1: But also it wasn't like it was something that you were prepped with from the show. No, no, oh nice, that's actually that makes it more fun, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a lot of fun when Jesse told me on the first thing, because I was like, oh, okay, we're actually going Like that's insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was crazy. That was such a quick turnaround. Were you happy that you were kicking off your season with travel? I mean, it's been so cool seeing you guys travel to all these new places.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I love to travel. Also, Australia is a sick location. I've always wanted to go. It's been on my bucket list, so I was stoked, and I think it really it changes the show a little bit, you know, because usually you travel a little bit later and then things get a little bit more serious. But I think because we traveled so early, these relationships grew a lot faster.
Speaker 3: What was your thoughts on the veggiemite and the kangaroo testes.
Speaker 1: Oh, I forgot about that the kangaroo.
Speaker 2: Balls, that the kangaroo testicles were actual kangaroo testsles. I like to think of. I had that I a kangaroo meat ball, because like, no way, kangaroo tescles are actually perfectly that circular. I don't know, that just makes sense to me.
Speaker 3: They were really tiny too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would imagine kangaroo testcles are a bit bigger.
Speaker 1: But I would think kangaroos have some big heavy ball I think so too.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, all about in Australia, they sell those kangaroo testicle beer openers. It's like a big thing in Australia. I bought like ten of them in my sensive family. And apparently they're like made out of real kangaroo high or kangaroo balls. I don't know. I haven't done a research on it, but it's.
Speaker 1: Not how similar is new Zealand and Australia.
Speaker 2: Pretty similar. It's same in the sense that it's a very laid back vibe. But when we were in Australia, we were in Melbourne, so it was very city and then when we were in Auckland, we had a lot more dates that were in the countryside, kind of more scenic dates, so we were out of the city a little bit more, which I love.
Speaker 1: So I think this happened in episode I'm pretty sure this happens in episode two where we see you're having a conversation with Devin and Thomas Polls Devon and instead of you, and like they get into an argument, and I feel like that was I mean, it was really early on in the season, but like I feel like we really see you after that conversation kind of like step up and you're like, Okay, this is my fucking show, Like I'm the lead, Like what are you kind of doing? What was going through your head when that went down?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was crazy. We've never seen that before.
Speaker 2: I was definitely a little annoyed. I was just really confused. So it's funny now watching it back, seeing all the build up to that moment, like seeing what was going on in the house, but in them, I went like, I didn't know what was going on. I didn't know there was drama or anything. So I was just sitting with Devin and Thomas pulls him aside instead of just talking to me, which I thought was weird, And immediately they're like arguing in the corner, and I'm like, I'm right here, I can hear you, so I'm gonna go listen, like I want to know what's going on. I'm not just gonna sit here, and yeah, I don't know. I thought it was like a weird way to kind of go about things. Personally, I think like the root of that issue was time and sees me being respectful of everybody's time and getting enough time with me, But then it felt like that counteracted the actual issue because then I was just sitting there alone instead of Tom's talking to me.
Speaker 1: Watching all this back for the first time. What are you most shocked.
Speaker 2: About in that episode?
Speaker 1: Not that episode front four, Like what like the guy's bickering, like all the drama, Like you weren't privy to any of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely the guy's drama. I had no idea obviously. In I think it was the second episode, when Aaron and Devin were kind of pulling each other from me during that group day cocktail party, I was like, Okay, maybe there's something going on there, but I had no idea the extent of the big ring between the boys.
Speaker 1: If Aaron didn't send, if Aaron didn't have to leave for work, did you see that relationship going anywhere?
Speaker 2: To be honest, no, I you know, I wanted to maybe see where things were going. But in my head at that point, I had some really strong connections with the other guys, so I wasn't necessarily like artwork and that Aaron was leaving. I was honestly just genuinely happy for him to get this opportunity that he's been wanting for so long.
Speaker 1: How pissed were you when he told you some of the guys are here for the wrong reasons and then didn't tell you who.
Speaker 2: Immediately so pissed? Okay, here's my thing with that is that if you're gonna say that you're gonna leave, that's great. I support you in all of your dreams, But then you tell me that there are people here not for the right not here for the right reasons, But then you won't tell me exactly who, and then you tell me that you trust my decision making, and then I'll make the right decision. But then it's like, if you trust me, don't don't tell me that, then yeah, that's gonna play out. And then and then that's that. Like I feel like him dropping that bomb was a little selfish in a way, because if you're gonna drop the bomb, like drop all of the bombs, that tell me who is like stick with your gut with it, you know. But he did it, and that is what aggravated me. Not necessarily that I would have trusted who he would have said, because at that point I trusted myself a lot more than this guy that I had just known for a couple of weeks. But it was just an annoying situation to have to do.
Speaker 3: It when he said that, were there any guys that like, and you don't have to say the names if you don't want to, or you can. Were there any guys that like jump to the front of your mind of like, I wonder if it's X this person or I thought, you know, I've already had those doubts about this person.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I immediately thought that Aaron was talking about done it, and I wanted him to just say it, like say.
Speaker 3: Right, because you know at this point that they already have beef.
Speaker 2: Exactly Like I wasn't blind. I knew that they had beef from the ice cream situation, so I wasn't dumb, but I was like, if you're gonna do it, like, man up and do it.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the ice cream thing, I want to touch on that a little bit because you were someone on Joey's season who I thought was a little more You were a little more forward on group dates, like we kind of see you pull Joey to the side and like give him a kiss.
Speaker 3: I did the piano thing. You guys had a little piano moment in front of the group.
Speaker 1: So would you consider Devin pulling you for ice cream comparable to how you were on group dates or was it just way out of left field?
Speaker 2: No, I would pretty much agree that I kind of went into these groups on the other side with the mindset of, like, you got to make your own little moments, no matter what that is, And so for Devin to pull me for ice cream, I thought it was kind of in the same mindset of like, I'm just going to make a moment where I can and when I can, and I thought that it showed really great initiative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I liked it, but it seemed like watching it back where you shocked that all the guys were like, what the fuck I was?
Speaker 2: I was very to see that. Yeah, I had no idea if they were so it is so shook it up by it. Yeah, they hit it.
Speaker 3: So did you have any inclination though, because we did see that a lot of them were roasting Devin on that group date.
Speaker 2: I did see that, but I still at that point didn't know that that was a result of the ice cream. I gotcha, but I was like, oh, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Everyone's Yeah, like if anything, I would think in your situation, you'd probably think like he's kind of like the most outgoing in the house and probably friends with everyone, and that's why they're roasting him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know what I was thinking at that moment. I don't think I had anything made up, Yeah, because it just didn't know enough.
Speaker 3: Also, we saw a lot of the comments about Devon, but I'm sure there was a lot of other comments made to about other guys in the roasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Yeah, She's.
Speaker 1: Like No, it was literally it was. It was everyone was just ripping on Devin.
Speaker 2: It actually kind of boys a lot of ripping on dev.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's cut to current episode four. We see Sam M gets Sam M.
Speaker 3: Sam and and yeah, we've been having a really hard time with the ms versus the ns for the Sam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't mess up the letters the roaster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're probably like, I've never enunciated better in my life.
Speaker 1: So you got you choose Sam M for your one on one date, and it just starts off really rough, like you don't want to do it, which I would hate. I personally would hate that.
Speaker 3: Joe and I are hates people.
Speaker 1: I'd have just been like, no, like I'm not doing it, like fuck off. But we kind of see Sam like makes the decision for you. So let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: I was pissed. I was really really pissed. I don't know, I think I want I wanted someone to be there for me in that moment because I as soon as I landed in New Zealand, I saw the freaking tower and I said, I already jumped out of a plane. I'm not jumping off with the needle. Okay, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 1: Did you know that was a thing that people did.
Speaker 2: No, But funny enough, like our driver just like started talking about it. So in that moment I knew that was a thing then, but I was like that that won't be me. I'm not doing that. So when we got up there we were having drinks, I was like, oh God, there's just no way this is actually going to happen. So I was already scared yet for the way.
Speaker 3: Well, you've been on the show before, like as a contestant, so you know how it works. You're probably sitting at this table being like, there is a very good chance someone tries to get me to jump off this building. Like we're not here for no reason exactly.
Speaker 2: You're never just there for the view or something.
Speaker 3: No, you're like, oh, this date is not just a three hundred and sixty dinner reservation.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not. So in the back of my kind of more news and I was, yeah, I was upset, but he wasn't hearing me out. I was like, you can't just make a decision for me, like you have to always ask me if I wanted to, and you didn't even do that. So in that moment, I was very, very upset.
Speaker 1: Was there any was because was there any like flirtatious flirtatiousness? Is that a word?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: A word right now? Was there any like? Was it more like was he trying to do it in a more of a flirty way or a fun way.
Speaker 3: Or what was his energy about the whole thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, if I'm getting it, was more so he was really he really is an adrenaline drunkie, so he knew he wanted to do it. And I think for him, as someone who doesn't really have a fear of heights or a fear of anything, it's like, you're gonna be fine at the end of the day, you know, like it's just a fear, but you'll get over it once you do it. So I think in the moment he wasn't necessarily thinking of how scared somebody could be. But obviously things turned around in the middle of the day. But yeah, I mean I think maybe it was a little bit flirty, but also a little bit like I just know you're gonna be fine, so don't be scared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it felt like the conversation, the communication wasn't aligned, like he wasn't getting what your problem with it was, and you weren't understanding how he could be so insensitive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I think that was like the upsetting part of it too, was like I was trying to communicate how scared I was and it wasn't see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're probably thinking, I'm already scared, I already don't want to do this, and now I'm at the very least going to have to go walk out there with someone that I'm not feeling very supported by in this moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that was definitely the kicker at that moment too. It was like, if I'm gonna have to do it, I would have loved to have done it with somebody who was supportive in the beginning.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what was worse walking around the building or just jumping.
Speaker 2: Walking around was so much you could see through the grates and they were like wide, wide gaps in between the greats that you were walking. It was, and it was windy and I didn't there were so many wires. I was like, which one's actually hooked up to me? Like? Which one do I hold on too? If I fall? I was like, I hated every second of that and we'll never do that. That is top like the most scary thing I've ever done my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said the same. That reminded me of myself because the first time I, the first and only time I went skydiving, I did it. I was like, okay, never doing that again, Like I don't I don't need to do this shit ever again.
Speaker 3: And we were saying the walking, I feel like it's so much worse because you're like lingering in a place that you're so scared, whereas at least jumping you're like, okay, I know I'm going to be scared. But then the minute I jump off, I just like I'd be like, just get me to the ground as fast as possible, Like get me off this platform and to the ground, because being on the platform is the worst part we have in Toronto. Like the sea In Tower has a skywalk, which is very very similar. You can't jump off the sea In Tower, but you can like hang off of it the same way that Sam m was, except it's not like your fully straight legged, like leaning backwards. I have friends and cousins that have done it, and it just looks like a horrible time.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm done with any sky towers, any space needs whatever. I'm done no more. Yeah, in my arch memesis, so I can't do it.
Speaker 3: So do you think the turning point in that date was when you eventually got emotional about the situation. Do you think it kind of took that for him to really see how scared you were?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely think the turning point was when I really broke down and just started sobbing. And I think he realized, oh, she's not making this up. She's like actually terrified and is prying. So yeah, I think the tears definitely helped him come back to earth with it.
Speaker 3: And then how is he moving forward or how is the date moving forward?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean after we jumped, you know, it was I felt great. I forgot all about it. I said, I'm never thinking about this again, and and yeah, it was great from from then on.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the rugby date right now, well he needed to talk about within the rugby day. Now you watched this? Did you have you watched this back?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I guess sam N. Now let's let's go to sam N. So, so you know, what were your thoughts with how sam N was acting during the rugby game.
Speaker 2: During the rugby game, I thought that he was aggressive, but I thought that was. I think he used to play football in high school, so I thought that was just kind of like his like competitiveness just coming out. But I didn't think that there was malicious intent to it, Like I wasn't hearing exactly everything that he was saying, Like you know, in his after that he like was like trying to be super crazy about it. I just thought he was having he was just having fun and just showing his competitive side. But I thought I was like friendly to ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was saying earlier, kind of his his energy felt like he gave himself a pep talk and then chugged to Celsius and ran on the field. Like it just felt really elevated compared to what we've seen from him the past few weeks. Did it feel different to you? Did it feel like there was a shift in him at all?
Speaker 2: It felt like a shift, And honestly I was. I was surprised, and I liked it because I think, like having so many layers for a person and seeing different sides of them is fun. So I liked seeing a different side of him in that moment.
Speaker 3: Who else stood out during the rib of the date?
Speaker 2: Jonathan was a really good runner. He took a lot of tackles. John m was the MVP of the game.
Speaker 3: He was, Yeah, we haven't seen much of him, but he was good during the game.
Speaker 2: I know, he was amazing. I was. I was very, very impressed, and I think his personality really came out that day and I was excited about that.
Speaker 3: We saw Marcus hurt himself in the game. How bad was the injury or how bad did you think it might have been at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was worse than he was letting on. You know, the game, I kind of saw him take a blow and I didn't really understand how bad it was until we were kind of back in the locker room and drinking the champagne whatever, and he was being really really quiet, and I was like, oh, like he's actually like really hurt, you know, but he's putting on a break face, which is why I checked up on him after at the cocktail party.
Speaker 1: So as a lead, you make your first early cut chap, you get rid of Sam and the.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just how it goes sometimes I should do that as how the chop.
Speaker 3: Job, you guys are done, No Rose get.
Speaker 1: Out before like going into that conversation, did you. Did you know you were going to do that or were you just like, this guy is ten steps of head of where I am and I'm never going to get there. Did Did you come to that realization mid conversation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was kind of big conversation when he It was like when he came back and asked for a kiss. You know, I was like reevaluating where I was at with him in comparison to a lot of the other guys in the room, and with him, I think I realized, like, I love talking to him, and I loved kind of helping him along through whatever he was going through that day, and so I loved your little chats, but I don't think that I saw it as anything more so when he asked for that kiss, and I immediately kind of knew I didn't really want to. I was like, I can't spring him along anymore, and so I ultimately had to make that part decision and home.
Speaker 3: Were you surprised by what you saw with his behavior and conflict amongst the guys, like at the cocktail party while you were talking to other people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, again, I have no idea what goes on in the house, So it's It's crazy watching it back to see how much conflict there is and how much I didn't know about it, which in a way is good. I'm glad no one wasted their time telling me about whatever was going on. But yeah, kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: Going into your Devin date. Did you were you aware a little bit that Devin and sam m really didn't like each other?
Speaker 2: I actually had no idea.
Speaker 3: Wow, okay until I watched the show, No way.
Speaker 1: And how was that date seemed to be from beginning, middle and end seemed to be really a really great date and it seemed like you guys really started connecting at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the date set us up for success in a way that you know, the date wasn't just we were doing it tivy or anything like. We were also connecting in a lot of family values and just speaking about tradition and like where we come from and what makes this us. So we think the day portion was great for us to be able to connect on that and get vulnerable so early on that it was also easy to then later in the night get really vulnerable other things that make this us and connect on those as well. So I think the day overall was was really really good for us.
Speaker 3: I always think, like, for example, like Sam and watching episode four, I always think it's going to bring those people so much closure on the fact that you and him. For us as viewers, it's so clear you're not a fit. And for him to be able to see how far along your relationship with because like we see him go home and then your relationship with Devon right, and it's just two different stages. Like Devin is so many light years ahead in terms of you guys's connection and even like Sam m and some of the other guys, for sam And to be like, wow, like I hadn't even kissed her yet, and this is kind of where her other connections were. I always just think like, there's there's closure in that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so true. That's so true. And that's why I'm like, I would never want to string anybody along because then if they watched that back and they're like, oh, well, why did she even keep me along? If like she had all these other great connections.
Speaker 1: So yeah, what's the best part of dating multiple guys and falling for multiple guys that are so different from each other?
Speaker 2: That's part.
Speaker 1: And or worst part, I guess.
Speaker 2: I will say when I date, and I'm very much I have tunnel vision. I don't think about anybody else. I don't think about the other possibilities. I stay on one track and that's that. So for me to be able to explore and to constantly be open to all these different relationships, it really helped me kind of put into perspective and put into and have my priority straight on what I wanted out of a partner at the end of it all, you know, so I was able to really compare contrast each relationship and be like, this is what I like, this is what I don't like. Can this person provide me this or no? And it's like, if this person is providing me this and this one isn't, then the answer is easy, right, If you're dating in the real life and someone's not providing you with something, at least for me, I still have tunnel vision. I'm like, well, I really like all these other qualities, so I'm going to trying to make it work.
Speaker 3: And it's easy to be like, but what if no one gives me that? You know, what if I go out looking and I never find that in anyone, and you know, maybe I should just stick with what good things that I get here, because like, I don't want to go out and you know, not find what I'm looking for, but you're able to kind of see like someone will give it all to you and it's just a matter of finding the right person.
Speaker 1: You got options.
Speaker 2: Actually I like my options. I didn't know that I would be an options world, but I.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, let we won't take up too much more of your time. Last segment, we do need to touch on Matthew Matthew. Matthew Matthew. So watching it back, I'm I'm kind of like, I think this was more of a fling, and I felt like Jen doesn't really didn't really know he felt this strongly about her. But that's just my That's that's what I took from it, and I could be one hundred percent wrong. So, yeah, you want to just kind of break down the situation.
Speaker 3: And yeah, your history with this guy before we chat about him showing up in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Sure. Yeah, so we had dated when I lived in Boston about three years ago. We met on him to we dated for like wemonsish.
Speaker 3: And exclusively, like he was your boyfriend, you were only dating him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was me and him, and we were a boyfriend, girlfriend, whatever, and then things just like didn't really work out. He was really young, I was really young, you know, like a classic. So and then I think like a few months had passed and then we kind of got back together for a little bit, and then I decided this was just like not it. And then I think a few more months had passed after that second like reincarnation, and I was so happy with that because he is someone who's like such a good person, and I kind of came to terms with the fact that like we're at different like places in our lives. So we had stayed in touch as friends for like a couple of years like here and there, like nothing crazy, and then after or Joey's season, we did talk on the phone every now and then about like TikTok stuff and all this stuff, and we really somebody could talk to you about, you know, stuff on TikTok and whatever else is going on my life. And I've known him for so long. He knows my family, I know his family, so like we have this history and I found comfort in that, and so I was really really surprised when he came and basically confessed his love yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what were the reasons because you said you kind of tried, you didn't work out. You tried, it didn't work out. Was there like one big reason that it wasn't working out or was it just like you guys were arguing, you weren't connecting.
Speaker 2: We did it three years ago, so we were just so young and so like he never prioritized me, and I was still learning so much about myself. I didn't know how to communicate, I didn't know how to be in a good relationship. Like I was just like I was kind of a mess too. So you know, like it just didn't work out.
Speaker 3: Right, like at the time, because you guys were so young, you didn't have the skills to kind of nourish a healthy relationship together, and it kind of just fizzled out.
Speaker 1: All right. So so it's three years into the future, You're now the bachelorette dating multiple men, and Matthew shows up in New Zealand and you see him. What is going on? What is going through your head?
Speaker 2: Funny enough, my very very initial reaction was shocked. I was like, what the heck is he doing here? But then I was also like, oh my god, like a friendly face like, and I hugged him and then and in my head I was kind of like, oh, is he look cure to the advice or something? And then and then it kind of clicked. I was like, no way, he's here to give me advice. That would be really weird too. So I kind of slowly was like, Okay, I kind of get why you're here. But then I was also like why are you here? So I was very shocked. We were in New Zealand. It's like, if we were in I don't know, Kansas, i'd be like, Okay, this makes sense, But we were in New Zealand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's crazy. I would also be jarred. Do you So he he mentions, you know, you guys are chatting and he's like, I came right from like Columbia, I think, he said. And then you're like, you ditched the weddings. He's like, I didn't go to the weddings, were you? I don't. I think I know the esswers. I just want to clarify for people listening. Were you supposed to go to those weddings with him?
Speaker 2: So, you know, there was a free trip to Columbia on the table at some point, and I had said, Matthew is a really good friend of mine. He needs a little date. He wants to give me a free trip to Columbia. Why not so I was supposed to go to these weddings?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, so totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah plus one Okay, because he says he tells you that he loves you, and you're like, well, you could have told me this a long time ago. So then when he drops that bomb and then you kind of put together like, oh wow, this is why he's here.
Speaker 3: What goes through your mind?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you were like, you could have told me this years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I don't know. I was at that point kind of questioning his intentions. I was like, why are you here? You did have a chance to tell me, like at any other point in time before right now? Why is it right now? So I think I was really just trying to get into his mindset a little bit more and kind of really understand why he took this risk to fly all the way around the world to New Zealand. Yeah. I was just so shocked.
Speaker 1: When you say question his intentions, does he strike was? Is he the type of guy that you think would just like want to be on the show.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, but you know, at the end of the day, like you can never really know what people's true intentions are. Sometimes, like the reality of it is like we are on a TV show that sometimes people go on to for other reasons than love. So I mean you gotta ask the questions.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, I mean that's what I would be thinking. I mean, I like if it was an ex that I used to date and came back on the show and it's like, all of a sudden, like hey, I'm in love with you, and I was like, what the fuck are you talking about? What are you doing here? And then I would be thinking a million different options.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so crazy because like if you were just on like a vacation in New Zealand with like some friends and a guy that you were newly dating and you were like maybe getting serious with, It's like, would he be flying his asset to New Zealand to declare his love? That's probably why you're like.
Speaker 1: It feels yeah, but but but then again, it's not like after the vacation she's going to be engaged.
Speaker 3: I can totally sympathize with why, Like it's a the pressure's on, right, He's thinking, oh my god, there's a good chance in a month she's engaged and I'm never gonna have the chance to say this. But it's just so funny how this environment affects people outside of it so drastically as well, Like Matthew has nothing to do with this experience when you're on it, and then all of a sudden he's in New Zealand professing his love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the weirdest part. Was like I'm kind of in this new world now and it's my world, and then like someone from my past comes into this world and it's like a sense of familiarity almost, so it's like a sense of comfort having somebody there that kind of knew me.
Speaker 3: I was like, whoa, I think we've seen that in past shows, Like I would argue, like watching Blake Moyn's Going Katie Thurston season, like there's comfort in that even of like you've been here before, like you know this world as well, and like having been on the show, you are very isolated and you're you're dating all these guys, but you're still getting to know them. So like seeing a familiar face I can totally sympathize with even if you left to go film the show on friendship terms with this guy. There is that excitement about seeing him of like, I know you and I feel comfortable with you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Jem, before we let you leave, we're gonna play a quick game. You ready wrap a fire?
Speaker 2: Let's do it, all right?
Speaker 1: Of your guy? Who's the funniest, Pete Davidson, Devin, who's the shyest.
Speaker 2: Johan?
Speaker 1: Who made you the most nervous?
Speaker 2: Uh Sam?
Speaker 1: Who dressed the best?
Speaker 2: Uh? Grant?
Speaker 1: Who matched your intelligence level the best? I would not answer that.
Speaker 3: It's like no one, They're all stupid.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna stick with that nobody.
Speaker 1: Because of your journey overall, what piece of advice ended up being the most useful.
Speaker 2: It was a piece of advice that one of my best friends gave me in a letter that she wrote me before I left the show, and I was reading it every now and then, and it was Matthew, No, it was she wrote something like, she she's she is married, so she was giving me advice and she's liked, you want to find someone who is going to think you're the funniest girl in the room no matter what. And to me, what that really meant was find someone who intentionally is always going to make you feel celebrated no matter what, Like even if I make the like the dumbest show ever, give me a pity laugh, you know what I mean? And so for me, it goes beyond even a joke and it's more just partner who's thoughtful.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. That's good advice.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite group date now we've seen so far?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, the rugby date was really fun.
Speaker 3: You were funny on that date. You had me laughing because Jesse is like such a professional, because that's what he does for a living. Is like he's a sports sports announcer. Is that the term sportscaster?
Speaker 1: Sportscaster?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and else he would he would like do his whole like professional spiel at the end, at the end, be like yay, I was in.
Speaker 2: All just watching him do this thing.
Speaker 3: And then I'd be like, yeah, oh my god, yeah what he said.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite one on one activity thus.
Speaker 2: Far, Rety? The helicopter ride over the twelve Apostles was absolutely like stunning. I've never seen anything like it before. That was really incredible.
Speaker 1: What episode were you most excited to watch back?
Speaker 2: Episode four?
Speaker 1: What moment thus far has been the most fun to watch back.
Speaker 2: The stripping jig.
Speaker 3: That was a fun date.
Speaker 1: And to end this off, and also I have one more question after this that I want to ask and to end this off, if you could describe your season in one word, what would it be?
Speaker 2: Adventurous?
Speaker 3: You know what's so funny is every guy's come on here and described it as like toxic, tumultuous, like chaotic, like what it's all toxic? But like the inn it's all been like really like intense, like ferocious. Yeah, like this intense verbiage being used, but like you wouldn't know because it's all the male drama that you're not seeing. So when Joe askedid, I'm like, it's gonna be so funny to hear your answer because it's gonna be so different than like all.
Speaker 2: The cast romantic and they're all like insane.
Speaker 3: They're like detrimental. What do you think of the phrase? Is this something that you came up with? The what do they keep saying?
Speaker 1: Thing?
Speaker 3: But the main thing, the main thing.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that was the thing until I watched the show that Okay, the main thing is the main thing.
Speaker 1: Once you once you finally you wrap the season, you're done filming. How fast do you then go? Do you go look at all these guys instagrams or or their social media accounts are like, let me who was this guy?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Who did I cut?
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie to you. Absolutely, I stalked every single one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely before we let you go. Last question, how would you tease the rest of your season?
Speaker 2: I would say that there are a couple of turning points for me as a as a person and as someone who's dating somebody or people like I had a turning point in terms of relationships and realizing what I want and what I deserve.
Speaker 3: Amazing. I'm excited, can't wait.
Speaker 1: Jen, Thank you so much for taking the time. We know how busy you are. We're really enjoying watching your season. It's very toxic. Yeah, thank you for coming on a happy Hour.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. I love chatting with you guys.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to have you back when we can do a full reflection on this season because we're only on episode four and so much has happened, and I just know there's so much more to come. But if you're listening to Bachelor Happy Hour, thank you for listening, and we will have more recaps and exclusive interviews coming out every single week, so don't forget to subscribe.