Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. I'm Stephen Carroll and this is Here's Why, where we take one new story and explain it in just a few minutes with our experts here at Bloomberg Wellyam. China, the Philippines, Malaysia and Vietnam all have overlapping claims and its massive waterway. Beijing, though has claimed nearly all of it.
Speaker 2: They have always seen this area as part of their historical territory from the Han dynasty until now, and Philippines claim for it in the Chinese eyes is something that is very recent.
Speaker 3: Here, yes, which are now being contested by China.
Speaker 2: We're not contested by them. Unbuilt geological findings showed that there might be natural gush.
Speaker 3: It's clearly something that has led to a diplomatic issue. Whether it's going to lead to further skirmishes militarily and god forbid any fatalities is yet to be seen.
Speaker 1: The seas around China can be rough, literally and politically. Beijing has long standing territorial claims to various waters off its coast. They've led to tensions with Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines and others. China's Coast Guard has become an increasingly important expression of these ambitions. Here's why China uses its coast Guard to push territorial claims. Our China Defense reporter Josh Hiao joins us now for more. Firstly, Josh, what are the key territorial claims that China makes over the seas around.
Speaker 2: Its coast So there are three major claims that we typically look at. One thing is, of course, the South China Sea is one of China's most extensive claims, Chinese claiming almost the entirety of the South China Sea. These waters of course hosts fishery and energy resources, and at the same time it's a water body that we see overlapping claims from the Philippines, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, and even Taiwan. So it's really a very crowded area. And then we move on to the East China Sea. They're China, Japan, and Taiwan again claim the Delhi Islands also known in Japan as the and CaCO Islands. So it's a group of five uninhabited islands administered by Japan, but tensions app and flow around those waters and islands. And then, lastly, of course, then there's Taiwan, self ruled democracy that Beijing seas as part of its territory, but Taiwan insists that it has its own.
Speaker 1: Rules, so lots to consider. Let's talk about the use of the coast guard. How does China use its coast guard and how has that role evolved.
Speaker 2: So China's coast Guard performs many of the same functions as as global counterparts. So you think about intercepting smuggling vessels, investigating marine perusian, combating illegal fishing, and carrying out such and rescue missions. But then at the same time, its road has expanded far beyond these traditional law enforcement areas. Beijing is increasingly relying on the coast Guard rather than the Navy. Also its territorial claims. They're doing patrols in waters, they are escorting Chinese fishing fleets. They are even boarding foreign vessels and sometimes using coursive tactics as we've seen in the clash with the Philippines, firing of water cannons, shining of military grade lasers, and sometimes they will use the good old fashioned you know, stick and just hit each other. So they resort to all of these tactics to sort of challenge the activities of other countries in those contested wars.
Speaker 1: So what sort of resources does the Coast Guard have to be able to carry out these duties.
Speaker 2: As of twenty six according to the estimates by double Doublest, it has ninety one patrol ships. That's up from twenty sixteen. Some seventy one patrol ships, and some of its patrol vessels can displace more times than most countries heavi as destroyers. He also has a few landing ships and some logistics and support vehicles, But the patrol ships really form the majority of its fleet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that count from the naternata and ship for strategic studies. Why then does China use the Coast Guard for these kind of duties and not the Navy?
Speaker 2: Right, So the reasons there are two fold. One thing is that using Coast Guard vessels is less provocative than navy because it gives China the ability to argue that it was just conducting routine law enforcement even when the other countries see its actions as threatening or illegal. But it's not as supposedly provocative using the Navy. It also feeds into this tactic, which we call the gray zone tactic or grey zone operations whereby you are displaying your effective administration over the waters that you claim. But then it's sort like forcing between peace and war. So it makes it a little bit more awkward for those other countries to respond to the coast guard presence.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk a little bit about what those other countries are doing in response. How are we seeing them follow up to these moves by China.
Speaker 2: So one thing is for Philippines alone, which really have been involved in a lot of these clashes with Beijing in the South China Sea. For the Philippines, it has been trying to expand its fleets of Coast Guard vessels and at the same time, the Philippines is also linking up with other neighboring countries to slft heedback at Beijing's claims. So we've seen the coastguards of Taiwan and Japan last year agreed to expand joint training. The Philippines is also working with Taiwan as well to ramp up their training as well. And then most recently, like from the wave of clashes, the US, Japan, and Philippines have actually conducted a joint drill in the waters to self demonstrate their resolution against Beijing.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a little bit more about Taiwan, because this is a special case in the context of the geopolitical tensions in the region. How is Taiwan responding to this use of the coastguards.
Speaker 2: Taiwan believes that in a scenario where the Chinese military were to invade Taiwan, a blockade would be enforced lightly by the coast Guard to prevent firm vessels from coming to taipease aid, and the coast Guard will be able to escort Chinese vessels as well, and the Coast Guard would also be able to work with the military in terms of enforcing the blockade of amphibious lending campaigns. So that's the road that the coast Guard would play in a hypothetical invasion scenario. And right now what we are observing to the east of Taiwan is that there's a more institutionalized presence of Chinese vessels, official vessels, including the Coast Guard, including those from Chinese ministries, and together these vessels really forms expansion of China's grades on tactic because previously they don't really operate in those waters. And I think the Coast Guard's presence in those waters is alarming in the sense that they are sort of asserting their sovereignty in those waters, which then by rat includes Taiwan as well, and they are also questioning ships that are passing by in the enforcement of their sovereignty. Of course, Taiwan maintained that, you know, those four ships should then answer to Chinese coastcuss curies because they don't have the legal rights on those waters. But from a foreign ships perspective, it's better to just answer to those questions than not, you know, so as not to attract any trouble. But in debt, implicity has lent itself to the credibility all the legitimacy of Chinese presencing those waters.
Speaker 1: It's a really fascinating story and one being watched closely across the region. Josh thank you very much for bringing us details of this, Joshiao or China Defense Reporter. For more explanations like this from our team of three thousand journalists and analysts around the world, go to Bloomberg dot com slash explainers. I'm Stephen Carroll. This is here's why. I'll be back next week with more. Thanks for listening.