Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shots straining live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now. Here are Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 2: And here we are inside the SWBC podcast studio, the brands spanking new SWBC podcast studio at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 3: And this is Mick Shots.
Speaker 2: And this is Wednesday, and two weeks from today. I think, right, two weeks from today will be the official start of Giants week.
Speaker 4: You think after you uh oh yeah, the work weeks, the games really on Wednesday in the Sunday night game on September.
Speaker 3: It's fast approaching. You can't get here soon enough.
Speaker 5: Are they allowed to sneak into practice on that Monday that they.
Speaker 2: Can the official start? Wednesday is the start of the work week officially in the So it's two weeks from today. But we had a practice we were able to enjoy either live free in person at Ford Center at the Star in Frisco or streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com. Last night Cowboys Night, and it was a ventful day. I don't know, ever, sin if you realize just how eventful it was. As Jerry Jones was making appearances throughout the afternoon.
Speaker 6: No, no, sorry, sir, I.
Speaker 5: Had press conferences yesterday. What four so, Jerry, Well, it was.
Speaker 2: First sponsorship Miller Light, Miller Lighthouse built. What can you tell us about the Miller Lighthouse since Miller Light is a proud sponsor.
Speaker 6: One of the what's what I say is do you get.
Speaker 3: Do you get anything free?
Speaker 6: I have to go.
Speaker 7: Yes, and it's do I get free?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 7: Not yet, but.
Speaker 5: It's it's a new sponsor though, right They built that. One of the structures in the Star District is the Miller Lighthouse and that's where people will go to sign up for their tours by the Way of the Star, and that's what they'll start.
Speaker 6: And I'm sorry. They had a press conference.
Speaker 7: About that at the middle of nighthouse, Yes, okay, and Jerry was there.
Speaker 5: Jerry was there, and then they had a press conference for the Texas Lottery.
Speaker 2: Which was just prior to Mike McCarthy's scheduled press conference, which got delayed that half hour for McCarthy.
Speaker 5: Jerry answered football questions at the This lottery. Okay, so that was another one. And then coach McCarthy at like.
Speaker 3: When he got started.
Speaker 2: And then Jerry addressed the crowd at at the opening ceremonies of the friscal portion of training camp Cowboys night.
Speaker 3: He's excited about this football team.
Speaker 7: I would say it sounds like he is.
Speaker 5: And if you had listened to the pregame show Saturday from Seattle, he talked about how he was happy with the structure of the roster this year. So, and he reiterated yesterday a couple of times, I think so.
Speaker 6: So it was a pep rally, Well, there was a pep rally.
Speaker 8: That.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll just get the feel.
Speaker 2: That's kind of what it was. I had the feel of a pep errelly we kick off this season.
Speaker 6: That's cool.
Speaker 7: But you missed it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Sorry, That's why we're that's why you're here to get to get the lowdown on exactly what.
Speaker 6: I have to make it. But yeah, I got a life.
Speaker 5: So, Bill, did you get to watch any of the practice as you were.
Speaker 7: Broadcasting last night?
Speaker 3: Barely?
Speaker 7: That's my favor.
Speaker 6: He's got a life.
Speaker 2: No, I was, actually I was there and Mickey was a part of it for two and a half hours. We broadcasted it.
Speaker 6: But it was hard.
Speaker 2: But our vantage point, it was hard to the practice.
Speaker 6: I know what that's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe we started at five thirty. Now Mickey started at six fifteen.
Speaker 2: Maybe even though he was supposed to be there at five thirty.
Speaker 7: Bill just couldn't get wait to a point that half right.
Speaker 2: So Mickey as he leaps through his legal pad of notes there, there's so much to get to, including what happened during the practice last night. About we kicked things off with you getting us up to on where this team stands injury wise.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we know. I mean we talked about it on Monday. I think it was official by then that Demarvin Overshawn tore his ACL will be out for the season. He said that he hasn't hadn't scheduled the surgery yet. I thought he was pretty funny when he was talking about you know, they checked him. He walked off the field in Seattle and went into the blue tent, and next thing we know, he was getting carted into the locker room and he said, yeah, when I got in the cart, I just thought they didn't want me to walk.
Speaker 7: I got a free ride to the locker room.
Speaker 5: Not knowing that the doctors knew right then and there that he tore his acla.
Speaker 6: He didn't look broken hearted, you know, when he was on the cart.
Speaker 5: And when we talked to him, he was pretty upbeat still. And Jerry Jones made a point of saying, I've got to get Michael Irvin with him, because.
Speaker 3: Interesting who said that the other day? Hmmm on this show.
Speaker 2: We talked about that the other day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And he said that he wants to get Michael Irvin with him because he said, Michael Irvin told me that, you know, through that recovering from his torn acl in nineteen eighty nine, that that's why he ended up where he was and caused him to work harder. And I asked Demarvian when he got to talking yesterday, I said, it's Jerry, talk to you yet about it? He goes, no, but I hear that he wants me to get with Michael. And and he just had a good outlook.
Speaker 2: He's got that, he's got that personality about it. He's got a very positive outlook on life.
Speaker 7: I'd be crying in the corner right well.
Speaker 2: It probably gave him a fall sense of that Okay, maybe I'm okay when he was able to walk under his own power off the field, right, you know, so, uh, but but you've seen that a lot with a c ls, where guys actually will content, are able to actually continue playing any game and they've already torn their a c L.
Speaker 5: So you know, the good thing is that you know, he realizes this is his new job is to rehab, uh and get ready for next year, and he'll have time now, you know, he he should be ready to go probably by May of next year.
Speaker 2: You look at the timeline on Terrence Steele, right, he tours a CL early December, and he was you know, you know, he worked hard in the rehab program and you know he was going full tilt by the start of training, right exactly. He was able to do some stuff during OTAs as well. And but having said that, not all a CL tears are the same.
Speaker 9: And it's sometimes if you're going to have that happen, it's good to have it happen when you're extremely young, and.
Speaker 2: Like in the case of Michael Irvin, Yeah, he'd.
Speaker 9: Be able to come out of that in good fashion. And you know when you get older, it's always tougher. Yeah, if you at the end of your career. We talked about old man injuries last year, and yeah, this is you know, this is not an old man injury. This is something that happened. It's almost like Tommy Johnson. Well, you know, some pitchers have Tommy john surgery before they even move to.
Speaker 2: The major But it's almost like most successful pitchers in Major League Baseball, they've all had guns. It's almost like something that you have to go through to strengthen your arm to be able to pitch.
Speaker 3: It that long.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: I think the hard thing for him to swallow is the fact that, you know, we knew he was going to make the team, but he was going to have a role on this defense, as you know, in the change up defenses, and he was going to be a core special teams player, and that was one of the things John Fossil, I'm sure he's probably more devastated than maybe overshawn is that he lost the guy that he was counting on to replace Luke Gifford on all the special teams, So that one certainly hurts. We know John Stevens also tore his ACM.
Speaker 2: And by the way, he was out on the practice field and yeah, Bill saw this. Isaiah Stanback actually saw it first. He was out there and they were doing some ball drills before practice and he's out there even with a torn acl and he's you know, catching them football and stuff there. Those two guys are very similar in terms of their positive spirit that they have about them John Stevens and de marve On Overshell.
Speaker 5: And he was going to make the team too. I mean it became pretty it was.
Speaker 2: It was no one really would have thought that before training camp started, but he had made that kind of impression not only in practice but also in the in the first game that he could make an impact in a crowded, tight end room.
Speaker 6: And they have not had the surgery yet now.
Speaker 5: Noah and Overshan said they haven't scheduled his, or at least he doesn't know that it's been scheduled yet. Now the other downside for both guys, since they're rookies on their rookie contracts, it looks like both guys have split contracts, meaning if you make the team but.
Speaker 7: You have well you didn't make the team, but if you have.
Speaker 5: To go uninjured reserve, you get like fifty percent of what your base salary was going to be So.
Speaker 3: That's a significant downside.
Speaker 5: That's significantly especially since the first I think the first year minimums getting close to even for a draft pick, not the first or second round, but the third, third, fourth on down. So the first year base is close to like eight hundred thousands went.
Speaker 2: We went through that right a couple of months ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you know that's that's a significant deal. But you know, not everybody gets paid to rehab or from surgeries. You know, you hope your insurance covers me and you, but no one's paying you to go through rehab. So so those are those two. Matt Well, let's go, was at least in pads during the practice.
Speaker 7: I saw him jogging off to the side, so that's.
Speaker 5: Encouraging with the sublexation he suffered in his right shoulder. Ronald Jones was doing the same thing, and that's the first time I saw him in pad since he suffered his injury. Dorence Armstrong, who's been on and off during training camp, was at least in pads again, jogging on the side.
Speaker 7: Chiuma a dooga is still out.
Speaker 5: So one of the things I saw in practice when Terrence Steele falls started. Okay, he's got to come out, Well, who's gonna play right tackle?
Speaker 7: Let's go? Is not there?
Speaker 5: Josh Ball went in to play right tackle, even though he's been working at the right guard position as a backup spot.
Speaker 3: And they had TJ.
Speaker 2: There were times where because Zach Martin is still ramping up, TJ Bass was going with the.
Speaker 5: First and because they don't want to wear out Tyron Smith, awesome, Richards was at left tackle.
Speaker 7: Awesome, awesome as.
Speaker 3: I am awesome.
Speaker 5: So you better be able to play right to live up to your name. So those guys, those guys got snaps with the first team. And what Bill pointed out about TJ Bass that was significant because they had been working Ball at right guard and he was now with the second team, so they're taking a longer look at TJ.
Speaker 7: Bass.
Speaker 5: Also, Forniac is still with the second team at center. And the reason we mentioned these things is it's pretty significant. This offensive line is set with Tyron Smith, Tyler Smith, Tyler Battish, Zach Martin, and Terrence Steele.
Speaker 7: But now they've got three.
Speaker 5: To four backup spots that they've got to settle and if they're doing it in house, and with Tchuma Adoga injured, there's some open spots on this fifty three man roster that they're going to have to settle within a week. Oh one more thing and with and you'll like this.
Speaker 3: Uh, he's if you're just.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sorry, I keep thinking we're on TV. There's cameras all over the place right with overshewan out. Uh, they have started working Marquise Bell at that linebacker spot that Overshawn was working, and he was like, whatever they want me to do, I'm good with it. And uh, I got a chance to talk with him after practice and I said, you know, I said, do you ever wake up in the morning and think where you were and where you are now? And he said, every day, every day I feel blessed that I'm and whatever they want, I'll work on it and work on it.
Speaker 7: And you know it sounds like me in college, right.
Speaker 2: I wake up a day, I'm thinking where was I now?
Speaker 7: And you know he's kind of built.
Speaker 5: He's kind of built to be a linebacker if you look at its size.
Speaker 6: That's way of course.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Why I just went on.
Speaker 9: So in regards to Overshaw and Bell, so obviously he was out playing Bell.
Speaker 7: Uh for the well he would Bell was that safety.
Speaker 5: Okay, right, and then overshean was playing kind of the uh Nickel linebacker spot because that's.
Speaker 9: What they thought of Bell last year, and so I was wondering if he's losing ground or you know what he's looking like.
Speaker 5: They were using him as a tru through safety okay, close to the line of scrimmage, sort of that j Ron Curse type thing, and that's what they do.
Speaker 2: How does that position, because overshown it kind of has that those same qualities that Curse has. How does the curse position differ from what the overshown position was in this.
Speaker 7: Well other than experience?
Speaker 2: Right, But as far as the role on the defense, Yeah, and there's so many subpackaging, it might have been.
Speaker 7: Shared depending on what package they were going to do.
Speaker 3: You think about it.
Speaker 2: Bell has that same kind although he's smaller, he is the same kind.
Speaker 5: Of Paul Rangey, but the way he plays, the way he plays and how physical he is. And he was saying, you know, the thing he had to get used to was being closer to line of scrimmage and seeing the run fits.
Speaker 7: You know, we all it seems like.
Speaker 5: All we ever worry about is coverage and ability to rush the quarterback. Well, there's other things that go along with those positions, like playing the run.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you have to fit right, everyone has to be and you got to see it sooner than down the line, right when you're closer to the line. Sean Lee. I always think of Seawan Lee when you're close to the line. He always knew what was coming, He anticipated it, and he would just beat the block.
Speaker 6: He wouldn't wait on it. He would just beat the block.
Speaker 5: So when you were a safety getting close to the line, did you play the run?
Speaker 6: So smart? Spad couldn't fool me? Man, gonna get me that not. I studied, I studied.
Speaker 7: There we go.
Speaker 6: So when is when is Taylor getting here? I mean it's done. Deal, Yeah, I mean it's done.
Speaker 7: Talking about that?
Speaker 9: Oh sorry, okay, you amateur, You're on the wrong podcast.
Speaker 6: Sorry for that, sir.
Speaker 5: Well, all we can say about that is the Colts gave him permission to seek a trade.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was that's news.
Speaker 5: And Jerry's response basically was that we always look at everything, and he went on and on about you know, whatever, we can take advantage of it. And then he got to the back part of it and he said, but you know, we do have a salary cap, and we do have things that we have to take care of, and so that always enters into decisions like that.
Speaker 2: When you think about Zeke's dead cap money that's right, and what Pollard's being paid. How much of the percentage of this salary cap is already devoted to running backs?
Speaker 7: Well, right off the top of my head, not much, Tony.
Speaker 5: Tony Pollard's ten million, okay, and Zeke's five point eight in dead money and another six next year.
Speaker 2: And then whatever you're paying the other running backs that you're right.
Speaker 7: However many you're going to go guys? Yeah, and the other thing.
Speaker 5: Since you brought up running backs, I think it's pretty clear. I don't think we needed to be told this after watching the Seattle game.
Speaker 7: But Deuce fawns on this fifty three man run.
Speaker 6: That's close.
Speaker 7: I don't think we have to even worry about that.
Speaker 6: Can we talk about Zeke's haircut?
Speaker 5: He had it cut, and let's point that out that when I ran into him the end of June here at the Star, the hair was cut and the beard was shaved nice. So it's not like everybody's saying, well, see Bill Bellichi, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: That was the first thing, right, Well, it was already in the shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, or was he just grooming for the interviews that he had to do this.
Speaker 7: Summer and maybe like you're going.
Speaker 5: He knew he was going to meet me coming off the elevant and he said, oh, I better groom up right.
Speaker 2: Well, that's interesting, And I was just looking at over the cap numbers and as you mentioned, Pollard's at ten point nine and yeah, there's a lot of money that's devoted to running backs on this team as it stands right now.
Speaker 5: Well, it's going to be by time you have two more guys on there in base salaries, it's going to be close to what twenty million?
Speaker 6: Yeap?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: From practice itself last night? What give us your report? Since you were able to watch practice?
Speaker 5: Thought Dak Prescott had a really good practice. Another guy that I thought had a really good practice and you know what they think of him now because he did not play in the Seattle preseason game. Ferguson had a couple really nice catches.
Speaker 2: Along Jake Ferguson starting tight end.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, second year and you know he in the receiving part of the game. I think between him and the other guys they're gonna make us forget Dalton Schultz.
Speaker 6: Okay, I more.
Speaker 7: Really feel good about that.
Speaker 2: More of Mickey's Scouts I view of practice last night. When we continue, we also have a Cowboys podcast text.
Speaker 3: Line that you are very familiar with.
Speaker 2: Ohiki eight one seven two nine three two nine eight is the text line. And I'm going to be reviewing texts and see if any measure up to us.
Speaker 7: Your standards to put them on the airs.
Speaker 3: Right when we come back here on mix Shots.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto.
Speaker 6: Whether you're always on the go or stay.
Speaker 8: Closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For crypto pros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes.
Speaker 6: It easy to own a piece of the future.
Speaker 8: Blockchain dot Com Trust it by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for VALORINCOLM. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the.
Speaker 6: Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 9: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 11: We know that GC cheesygrilled of Perfection burger Cell's amazing, but it does sound like something is missing.
Speaker 2: Pepsi Baby the yin to this.
Speaker 11: Burgers Yang, Burgers and Pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice coold Coola a journey to Footpia Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 3: That's what I like.
Speaker 7: Shots.
Speaker 5: Kate Posts Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of.
Speaker 7: The Dallas Cowboys. Isn't that a weird word?
Speaker 9: Yes, sounds a little dangerous. Yeah, it's a little dangerous.
Speaker 6: That was it?
Speaker 7: That was it?
Speaker 5: Okay, it's waterline.
Speaker 7: One more time, the official roofer.
Speaker 3: No, the whole thing.
Speaker 7: Kate Poules Roofing and.
Speaker 5: Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: All right, there you go. We're back here with that Shots brought to you by Miller. Be sure to visit the brand new Miller Lighthouse here in the Star Entertainment District.
Speaker 7: Yeah, be ready to start the show.
Speaker 2: Usually it goes a good thirty seconds or so before it was one line.
Speaker 7: That's what it is.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 6: He was trying to drag out that one line. You just didn't catch it.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: You can watch the Cowboys practice tonight once again at the Star and tomorrow afternoon as.
Speaker 7: Well in person.
Speaker 3: Yeah and free free.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but we're not streaming it.
Speaker 2: No, not streaming it, so you can't sit home and watch it on the stream tonight.
Speaker 7: Did they put up that elaborate stage at the Ford Center just for the.
Speaker 3: I don't know. That was nice?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Up high?
Speaker 7: Hm, see that's whey.
Speaker 5: They should officiate football game up high like that so you can see what's going on.
Speaker 2: Now, that would take away seats in tickets. If you're going to use the bottom section to be able to.
Speaker 7: Well, you just put high high like those high chairs that they have.
Speaker 2: For and then you block people's vowley game.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, you started your review of practice and you mentioned Dak, you mentioned Jake Ferguson. I want to hear some defensive guys that caught your eye. From what I was told, Sam Williams looked pretty good.
Speaker 5: Sam Williams has looked good all.
Speaker 7: All summer long.
Speaker 5: I think he is another guy that doesn't get a lot of attention just because of how well he played last year, but again first year to second year, because you almost don't think of Sam Williams as just the second year guy since he played so much last year. But he's been a force to be reckoned with as a pass rusher and they will find ways to get him on the field. And one of the things they've been doing is moving some of the defensive ends inside on pass rush like a lot of times DeMarcus Lawrence is when it's in pass rush situation, he's doing it from a tackle position. They were doing it before he got hurt with Dorince Armstrong also. I like that and having like four.
Speaker 9: Modified he plays a run better than any lineman that we have, right and putting him inside of that tackle position. He's so smart. He knows where the ball. He reminds me we were talking about Sean Lee. DeMarcus launch is one of those guys, right. He knows where the ball is going before it gets there. And be at that tackle position. That's real strong and he shows us up.
Speaker 5: One of the things another thing that they've been doing and they haven't really everybody kind of backs off talking about it, but you can see it is in some of those passing situations using Leyton Vanderish as a pass rusher, either as the defensive end or outside the defensive end like they were doing last year with Micah Parsons.
Speaker 9: That's a lot of man, right, Yeah, that's a lot of man over there, and he.
Speaker 5: Is enjoying the heck out of that opportunity to rush the quarterback. So yeah, I thought those things stood out. OSA has had a really good camp starting defensive tackles, and now the decision they're going to have to make on the defensive line. I don't know how many they can keep, but it could come down between Neville Gallimore and Quinton Bohanna on how many big guys you can have out there. Because Jonathan Hankins, I think, is going to be out there. We'll see if Mozzy Smith works his way into a starting spot or at least into the rotation, because in training camp, when you've got Jonathan Hankins and Mozzy Smith lining up inside next to each other, it takes up a lot of space to start with it before they.
Speaker 7: Even move or don't move.
Speaker 5: So again, uh, you know, Mozzy's starting to come around, you know. I went back and looked at his scouting report and one of the things they talked about was he was very good at holding up the double team, which I think he has done so far, and then it talked about his weakness was getting off the ball and penetrating, and that's one thing they're still working on him to.
Speaker 6: Talk for something like that. Right, it's easier said than done.
Speaker 5: The thing he's got to learn is not get turned like when he he comes in and all of a sudden it's his shoulder leading. Well, now they got him right because now they'll take them where he wants to go. Right, He's got to go where he wants to go. So that's one of the things they keep working with him.
Speaker 2: Let's talk Stefan Gilmour. We got a cornerback is pretty good in his career that's sitting right here. And you know, Stephan Gilmore. I was very impressed with him just talking to him. And that's one of the great things about training camp is we get an opportunity to actually talk one on one, get ten minutes or so with players whatever. And he is a guy who has a great.
Speaker 3: Mind for the game.
Speaker 2: And it was interesting Everson because he said, going back to when he started his career, of course, he was a first round draft pick of the Bills what eleven years ago now, but it was his career took off after Dennis Thurman was hired by the Buffalo Bills as their secondary coach.
Speaker 3: Was that when twenty.
Speaker 6: Sixteen was coaching? Yeah, was that when Ryan was head coach?
Speaker 2: I think it may have been, but Thurman was there. Vennis was his favorite, and so so Thurman, Gilmore says in twenty sixteen, just you know, little things that Dennis would tell him, you know, And so here's what happened with Look at what happened Gilmore's career.
Speaker 6: Right after that.
Speaker 2: He made the Pro Bowl, I believe in twenty sixteen with Thurman as his coach. Then he was a free agent. That was his fourth year in Buffalo, and so then he goes to New England. He goes to the Super Bowl the next two years, wins one of them, okay, and then twenty nineteen he wins the Defensive Player of the Year in the league. Dennis Thurman had a pretty good impact on that.
Speaker 9: Dennis influencing someone of that calency.
Speaker 6: So I did an education went back that far.
Speaker 2: I had to educate Stephan on the background and Bennis Thurman with the Cowboys and Thurman's thieves.
Speaker 6: And so you have to know a little bit about it, because you.
Speaker 2: Know, Dennis told him about it.
Speaker 6: Better he better mentioned me a two four as.
Speaker 2: Well, and your name came up, and uh, Stefan can't wait to meet you.
Speaker 6: Oh nice, Okay, cool.
Speaker 7: He's a very thoughtful man. When you interview him, he's not.
Speaker 2: He doesn't say what just the first thing that comes to his mind. He thinks through and gives you.
Speaker 5: And he doesn't go on and on. He makes his point and stops. But it's very thoughtful.
Speaker 2: Because at first, when I was told, okay, we give him a list of the Cowboys media relations crew. We give him a list of guys we'd like to interview. And because he's soft spoken, Stephan wasn't at the top of our list. And so and so I did you know? I always I My philosophy in life is everybody's got a story and sometimes.
Speaker 3: You just have to dig up.
Speaker 2: You have to, you have to dig a.
Speaker 3: Little deeper on some and as soon as you hit a little.
Speaker 2: Hot button with a guy, he'll start talking him with And what happened with Stefan was talking about him. He's from rock Hill, South Carolina, and his high school team he has high school teammates were Jadeveon Clowney, Davonte Holloman. Remember Davonte Holloman, who was draft pick here and played very well here and had a neck injury. Well he's now the high school coach, the head coach at their alma mater or whatever. But they were all teammates coming out. In fact, Holloman in the Hall of Fame game his rookie year, returned to interception seventy five yards for a touchdown.
Speaker 3: I mean he had.
Speaker 2: He was the Demarvion overshown of that class, but sadly suffered.
Speaker 3: A career ending injury.
Speaker 2: But he's he's had a great career already at a very young age, even as a high school head coach in South Carolina. But anyway, as soon as I hit that hot button and Stephan's just talking and talking, and then when I mentioned Dennis Thurman, you know, but then it got me to looking back at the interception numbers. And of course this Cowboys team, you know, two straight years lead the league in takeaways. It's not since the Steelers in the seventies has a team done it two.
Speaker 3: Or three years in a row.
Speaker 2: In the case of the Steelers and Mickey, those numbers from nineteen eighty one, Okay.
Speaker 5: I was, I was looking at that on on YouTube, and while you're calling.
Speaker 3: That, Everson looks at it every day.
Speaker 7: Gilmore, That's what I watched when I work out.
Speaker 5: Gilmore had a pick. Gilmore had a pick in the practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Everson rookie year, eleven picks and then two more in the postseason. Dennis Thurman had nine interceptions and Michael Downs had seven interceptions that year. The Cowboys had thirty seven interceptions that season to lead the league.
Speaker 5: And they like thieves and they led the league this year with thirty three takeaways. So they had thirty seven interceptions in one season.
Speaker 9: You know, when you look at when you look at this guy and his relationship with Belichick as well, you know we have that connection. You know when you think about how it elevated our careers. He was there longer, of course with Belichick, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with him being Defensive Player of the Year, being under that kind of tutelage, because Belichick will make it simple for you. He does all the thinking. He likes to do all the thinking, and if you're smart enough, then you can do it along with him.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because he had I think he came down to the Patriots. I mean It was kind of the same deal that we're seeing right now with another coach player, whether they've got an option. They were going to trade Steph on Gilmour, and so it came down to, all right, they're talking to the Cowboys. I believe they're talking to the Patriots too, you know. Okay, and Stephon wanted to come to Dallas.
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 5: So since you brought up Gilmour, bring up Brandon Cooks because they're almost identical type of people. Both of them are not afraid to help the young guys. Brandon Cooks Jayalen Tolbert followed him like a little puppy the whole time he's been here.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: And he's been willing to teach, give him.
Speaker 5: Advice, not only in football advice, but training brand Cooks.
Speaker 2: He will take him under his wing, his his airplane wings.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Bill has been waiting to throw that lit out with the airplane when he flies like small plane.
Speaker 2: Okay, So there's a video on over the weekend in Seattle. He took a couple of his teammates up in a plane over Elliott Bay.
Speaker 7: And you're talking the plane, Uh yeah, airplane.
Speaker 2: No, like some video game.
Speaker 6: The drones something flying?
Speaker 7: Yeah, now, hey.
Speaker 6: Sure I would not.
Speaker 7: He reassured everybody had a he was.
Speaker 3: But he also, I'm many, just one.
Speaker 7: I don't know he had parsons.
Speaker 2: Okay, you go, you go.
Speaker 7: Uh, there was two two people. We got to have more more there two guys. There was two guys on the plane.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you if they're fighting over one parachute, you know.
Speaker 3: Is going to be on parses.
Speaker 7: But but the Brandon was also.
Speaker 2: Quick to point out there is a veteran pilot also on board that wasn't in that picture.
Speaker 7: There's a co pilot pilot. Yeah, yeah, like a backup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he might have been the right of the main guy.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 9: I'm not that adventure so I don't even like I've never gone up in the helicopter one time.
Speaker 6: I have you like it?
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm not never.
Speaker 5: As a matter of fact, I had an opportunity when we first got here and Jerry was given everybody tours on the helicopter and they were having the last ride and pr asked me, do you want to go up?
Speaker 7: And this was twenty.
Speaker 5: Sixteen after the bus crash, and I said, now, I think I'll keep my feet.
Speaker 3: On the ground, and I don't like the name of that.
Speaker 2: The last ride, yeah, well there was several, but this it was a last trip. Well yeah that you made it sound like this is the last ride of the.
Speaker 6: Last ride, and so this will be your last.
Speaker 2: All right, And we've got the last ride of this edition of mix Ships coming up in.
Speaker 6: Just a moment. Wait nice.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps.
Speaker 6: Away put the power of crypto in your pocket.
Speaker 8: So no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 6: For cryptopros, rookies, and anyone in between.
Speaker 8: Blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 2: Hey Cowboys fans, ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo Kiero Guacamole be the game day hero. The yo kiro means I want and we know you want. Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Labertson's or tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero Yo Kiiero guacom only.
Speaker 9: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best Tail Gay Party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex's and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours. You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package Today.
Speaker 5: To mixed shots, watch two of Texas's best high school football team's face off in the third annual Jerry Jones Classic presented by Whataburger. The rock Wall Yellowjackets will take on the Cedar Hill Longhorns on Saturday, August twenty one pm in the air conditioned Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Get your tickets now at SeatGeek dot com.
Speaker 7: You won't want to miss it.
Speaker 2: And speaking of those Rockwall yellow Jackets, Cowboys played against the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday night and former Rockwall yellow Jacket Jackson Smith and Jigba had that long eighty one yard reception down to the one yard line set up a touchdown. Well, as he was tackled by Eric Scott on that play, he suffered a fractured wrist and he's undergoing surgery forties out three to four weeks. Yeah, I saw that, mm hmm, So he's in question for their opener. I think against Philadelphia.
Speaker 9: You know you brought up somebody that I was always been wondering about, and how he's recovered from last year's brief debacle.
Speaker 6: How's Jalen told doing this offseason?
Speaker 7: This season he may be the star of training camp?
Speaker 3: Is that outside of Deuce Bawn?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean he's solidified the fourth receiver role and he may get some with the first team.
Speaker 7: He has run his routes awfully well. He's catching the ball.
Speaker 6: I've seen videos of him and doing very well.
Speaker 5: One of the things they point out, and McCarthy has said it, it's like last year he was playing wide receiver, like connect the dots A to B the C and he goes, Now he's playing football.
Speaker 7: He understands.
Speaker 5: You know, you just don't execute the route the way it's written down. You got to be able to read what the defense.
Speaker 6: Is doing and you have to do it on the run.
Speaker 7: And he's making great catches.
Speaker 5: So yeah, he's had a tremendous off season and he has earned some snaps. I'll tell you another thing I saw in practice today, and maybe because we don't get to see him in the games, Tony Pollard is running really hard and really fast.
Speaker 7: I thought he was explosive in the practice yesterday.
Speaker 9: So you see no no at all from the surgerys being able to do whatever he wants to do.
Speaker 7: He's got it down.
Speaker 6: That is good to hear the quote. I was always worried about.
Speaker 2: That quote from Brian Schottenheimer, who by the way, of course, was on the staff last year and saw him last year in practice too, about Pollard.
Speaker 3: You feel his speed. It's real.
Speaker 9: It's good, yeah, because remember I was always concerned in losing Zeke that we would lose that punch up the middle, and last year we didn't have it until Zeke was in the game. I'm hoping Pollard is going to be that guy that you know he sometimes you have to change your mentality depending on the play, depending.
Speaker 6: On where you are on the field.
Speaker 9: I'm hoping he can get into that mentality where when it's third and goal, fourth and goal, I'm getting this touchdown. And that's what Zeke had, right. I didn't see Polard have that last year. Didn't see many backs have that last year when we're talking about Zeke with twelve touchdowns. But I'm hoping Pollard becomes that guy.
Speaker 2: And Pollard had what nine touchdowns rushing last year, and so Okay, there's twenty one touchdowns between those two players, and so there needs to be somebody beyond even Pollard who can do that too. And I'm like what I've seen from ric o'dowdell in the preseason, you know, as far as his decisiveness and hitting that hole with some.
Speaker 6: Abandoned sometimes there you go. I like that, that's what you mean.
Speaker 5: And it seems like in this offense, they're throwing more kind of swing passes, passes in the flats to the running backs and giving them ability to run with the ball sort of how they're you know, trying to utilize even more Cavante Turpin, get them the ball in space or get them the ball on the run and.
Speaker 7: Then let him do his thing.
Speaker 5: So when we talk about the running backs, they're counting him as a running back, not just a special team guy.
Speaker 7: So with Totrobert, that's five.
Speaker 5: And what they've got to decide is do they keep six Semi Fijoko, Jalen Brooks. You know, where do those guys fit into the equation? Same thing at the running back. If Pollard's won and you decide dontals two Vaughn's three, do you have room for Malik Davis as the fourth.
Speaker 9: What I saw last year was the running backs were a check down. Now you see that the running back is primate like a called play yes, and that you get it out to them much quicker. Last year we saw Dak looking down the field, looking down field. Nothing's they had pressures getting to him. Let me just bail out. They're not bailing.
Speaker 2: Out by and by then the defense is already already reacted.
Speaker 6: Actor to it.
Speaker 5: And actually, you know, we forget this, but that's how they used them it.
Speaker 7: You know, it wasn't just checkdowns. They were putting him in.
Speaker 3: There's a reason that averaged.
Speaker 2: About sixty sixty to sixty five catches a year.
Speaker 5: Wow, I didn't know that along with Darryl Johnson at least forty those were called plays Daryl could catch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: As a matter of fact, if you think back to that San Francisco game in the playoffs with Emmett, you know it was a pass over the middle and it was not a dump off. It was he ran a route, turned around, waited for the ball, and then I believe he went for a touchdown.
Speaker 7: In that ninety two NFC title game.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: We got.
Speaker 5: We're not leaving anything on the field, right, I used the one I was going to tell you, Oh, I know, ceedee. Lamb also had a good practice yesterday. He and Dak were on the same page except for one pass and it got intercepted and I saw Dak kind of run down field and the two talked about it right away.
Speaker 9: Hey, defensive players, you know they're out there for a reason.
Speaker 5: Right, They're supposed to get this some freaking plays. But but he and CD had a couple. They had a free play on one there was off side and and deck through the ball right down the middle and he went up.
Speaker 7: I don't know how he got.
Speaker 5: Up that high and made the catch, which reminded me of a catch you you said only one thing right in training camp. He went up so high. It's like he it was a Michael Jordan thing. He got up and he stayed up right. He wasn't coming. How do you hang like that right to make a catch and then fall basically on his back because he got up so high. He's had an awfully good off season, or I should say training camp.
Speaker 3: Also, all right, you want to do it again on Friday?
Speaker 7: Yeah, let's do it might as well. Nine o'clock time. Okay, got to wake up early.
Speaker 6: I'll be here at eight fifty or get here at.
Speaker 7: Eight fifty and then you can have breakfast.
Speaker 6: No, I'm going to get breakfast now.
Speaker 7: Oh well, they're going to stay open.
Speaker 2: So all right, we appreciate you joining us here for mix shins, and we'll see you again Friday.
Speaker 3: Nanny Boys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.