Speaker 1: Loud and Quiet presents Midnight Chats.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, welcome to Midnight Chat. It's the twentieth of September today, twenty eighteen. I hope you've had a good day. We've had a busy one here at Loud and Quiet. We finished issue one hundred and twenty eight sent it off to the printers that will be out on next Saturday, so that what's that that's September twenty seventh is when that's out. We'll be announcing all the details of everything that's in it, but we're very pleased with it. We've got an incredible cover feature with an incredible artist this month, so that's what we've been doing. I managed to also get the worst haircut of my life today, which is mainly down to the fact that the hairdresser cut my sideburns almost above the year. So now I just look like I just look absolutely. I don't trust myself. I look at a reflection myself. I don't trust that man I see in the mirror, and so I can't expect anyone else to. But you know, I mean, it'll grow out. So a day of ups and downs for me. I hope yours has been good. It's I guess it's Friday by the time you're listening to this and the weekends ahead blah blah blah. But let me introduce who this week's guest is here on Midnight Chat. Brett Anderson, I'm sure you know is the frontman of Swede, and I'm sure you know who's Swede are And you don't need me to go through all of this. But for those who might not, and I suppose a lot of our younger listeners probably might not necessarily know who's Swedar. Someone of my age. We all know Swede, but had formed in nineteen nineteen eighty nine and split up in two thousand and three originally, and they reformed in twenty ten. They're about to release their third record since reforming, which isn't bad going considering it's there. What is it two four six, it's that eighth in total, but that are three since twenty ten. It's called The Blue Hour, and it is as you're here Brett and I talking about it. It is essentially the third part of a trio. Is the way that they see it. It sounds very much like Swede, and Brett is very clear about that. But it is a little bit different. It's quite as I say to him, it's quite operatic, and there's some good visuals that have come with the early singles of it that is out today as well, So it's a busy day Friday. The Blue Hour by Suede is out today. So yeah, I preciated the time that Brett afforded me. I actually went to his house in or to his flat should I say, in notting Hill, and we speak a little bit about that at the beginning. So it's always nice to kind of have a snoop around, you know, a pop star's house. It was very nice and I appreciated the fact that you let me do that because you know, if I'd had these sideburns then I don't think you would have let me in. But fortunately I didn't. I had a sensible haircut. We got this recorded and that's all I've got to say on it, So please sit back and enjoy this episode of Midnight Chats with Brett Anderson from Swede. How long have you lived in this area of town? Have you always been over West Side?
Speaker 3: I mean, I sort of slightly complicated, I kind of I don't really live in London anymore. I kind of like live in the countryside technically, but I'm sort of between London and London and the country. I do never really leave London. So I've got a flat here in notting Hill, which and I've been in notting Hill for gods since about nineteen ninety something like that. Nineteen ninety one something like that. I first moved to a little bit of notting Hill a rocal Moorhouse Road. God, so many nearly thirty years ago now, and I'm just sort of yeah, I lived in the same in the same area for about twenty five years actually, but now my family we all kind of like my family, we sort of moved to the country, but we have a flat here as well, which is kind of quite useful.
Speaker 2: Did you go to Carnival? Do you do you tend to go to kind of or do you get out get out of here when that's on?
Speaker 3: I normally avoid it. Yeah, it so depends. I mean, you know, I I wouldn't sort of go out on my way to go. Yeah, I was a bit used to be a bit of a curmudgeon about the carnival, and then it's one of these things that kind of there are really exciting bits about it, but just suddenly having kind of like a million people kind of like judging around pissing on your on your doorstep can be a bit annoying. There were a couple of times I remember we went away and then came back and then literally there's the whole street smelled of piss and it was pretty disgusting. But yeah, I don't know. It's one of those things, isn't it. You know, it's kind of like the good things about the bad things about pro Oranti. It's kind of like there something quite exciting about it.
Speaker 2: Then you grew up in Sussex.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was born in a place called Hayward Seas, which is sort of sort of between London and Brighton.
Speaker 2: My wife grew up very close to there, where about a very small place called Sherman Bree, which is the Cowfold Penfield between the two. It's like kind of four houses, you know, it's one of those wow little hamlets. Yeah, so I do actually know Hayward Tea for a little bit. I don't know many places, but I do know there. What was it like as a place to grow up?
Speaker 3: Pretty unspectacular, i'd say, I mean, it's just a it's just a kind of gray little dormitory town, to be honest, and I always feel as though I always spend my life kind of slagging. It feels like I'm kind of spent my life kind of like bringing Hayward teeth down. It's not really, I don't really mean to, but it's just it's kind of nothing. It doesn't any meaning thing to me. It's one of those sorts of places I don't it's not like it doesn't have any kind of identity like a city has or you know, it doesn't really have that sort of thing. It's a it's a it's a kind of commuter town. You know.
Speaker 2: When did you leave that?
Speaker 3: I suppose when I went to University of Manchester in about nineteen eighty God when was it eighty seven or something like that? I can't remember, massive is my memory is not so good. And that's when I first left. And then I spent a year in Manchester and then I went to ucl and studied their sort of thing. So yeah, I mean it was. It's one of those places you don't ever really want to stay there, you know. It's one of those sorts of places you kind of want to escape from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of.
Speaker 3: Like it's quite gives you quite an ambition to get away from, to be honest, you.
Speaker 2: Know, so how would you pass your time there?
Speaker 3: In a funny sort of way, it's kind of like, you know that the lack of options is quite interesting. It sort of forced me and my friends to sort of kind of, I don't know, want to achieve something out of the lack of options. I sometimes wonder about if kids have got too many options, they've got too many they can kind of become a bit numb to it, you know. And you know, it made me fall in love with music in a lot of in a lot of ways, because music was the only escape that you had from the kind of like the grayness and the mundaneity of everyday life. You know, the kind of the glamour of music, I suppose was the escape, and you kind of like, you know, the music very very early on to me became became an incredibly sort of like important force. My father was a huge classical music fan, and he kind of like force fed me all of these kind of like people like List and Mala and Vargin and stuff. And obviously, as was my duty as a son, I hated it and gravitated towards what was was what was the exact polar opposite, which was punk rock and you know the power of punk rock music, which which has been very overdocumented over the years. But it was kind of like, you know, discovering the sex Pistols when I was you know whatever, twelve or whatever was a really key moment for me, as I think, you know, defining yourself, finding something that you love and finding it yourself is a really exciting thing. There's that sense that music kind of like is a sort of like badge of identity.
Speaker 2: How did your dad take the sex Pistols?
Speaker 3: Well, he thought that rubbish, didn't you know, he's from that, you know, kind of that that sort of He was the sort of person that unless it was sort of like high culture classical music, it was absolutely rubbish. And he didn't but he didn't have much kind of like fondness for pop music. You know, it was kind of very he'd a belittle the music I liked. But that was kind of quite good fun that I quite liked that that sense of sort of challenge, which I sometimes wonder, you know, when when I hear about kind of kids that like exactly the same music as their parents, so they always feel a little bit sorry for for them. I always thought they pop music was one of the point of it was that it was supposed to kind of instigate the generational conflict. Yeah, yeah, of course, Yeah, that's very much what it did in my household. You know, I'd be upstairs playing the sex Pistols and my little crappy sort of boots stereo and must would be blasting out kind of marlor downstairs, and you know, be the almost this battle of the volume of the volume pedals, you know.
Speaker 2: And now you're you're the dad in your house and what you're.
Speaker 3: A terrifying prospect that.
Speaker 2: Are your kids into something that you are you think is equally as naf as your dad thought of the sex pistols, or are you a bit more?
Speaker 3: I try not to sort of do that because I know that it's sort of almost sort of it's kind of like the more you think it's enough more. I'm a little bit a little bit black. My step my little boy he's he's only very young, so he'sn't really got into music yet. He just sort of listens to whatever. But my step son listens to stuff. I listened to a lot of listens to a lot of trap.
Speaker 2: Right of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's kind of what kids, you know, fourteen year old kids listen to. Yeah, there's actually one singer that I quite like. He used to be into sort of rock and stuff and then and and Foles and stuff like that, and he suddenly the last couple of years he's going to trap. There's one thing that I really likely likes is this guy called Jimothy Lacosse.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, have you heard. Yeah, we had him in the magazine.
Speaker 3: He's a kind of genius, like you don't know whether he's serious or not. And the songs are absolutely there. Got to You've got to listen to the songs with the videos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the video to get it kind of.
Speaker 3: Thing, the videos of him dancing in kind of like supermarkets and stuff like that. Just something about him that I really like. Brilliantly deadpan. You know, life is getting quiet, and you know that.
Speaker 2: One brilliant his big number. We actually DJed at the festival at the weekend. We did a silent disco for the opening party of the festival on Thursday night, and Jimmy Fi lacoss was the hit of our of our set. We played a couple of his tracks, and that was the thing that people were most into out of everything we played from the year. So, yeah, he's doing things.
Speaker 3: Oh good. Well I'm pleased for him because it's good. That good, that good stuff kind of gets recognition.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So how's your relationship with classical music now? Do you look on it fondly or listen to classical music or are you still like, no, that's just that's my dad's thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can listen to classical music. I mean I don't sort of find it offensive. I don't. I don't sort of love it obsessively like my father did.
Speaker 2: Sure, did he play Did he play music?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no, no, he was he was just sort of a fan kind of thing, an obsessive fan, and he didn't even he was kind of had a sort of strange attitude to to me playing where he kind of like was always telling people that I was going to become a concert pianist, but didn't sort of get me piano lessons or anything like that. It was kind of this, well, this kind of look strange, some mismatch.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was going to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. It's sort of like, Okay.
Speaker 2: So when did you start making music or being interested in thinking I'm going to try and be a musician myself.
Speaker 3: Quite early on, the house that I was brought up in was quite creative. My mother was an artist, well she was sort of she wasn't sort of commercially successful artist, but she painted, and that's sort of how she defined herself. She kind of made money by she was a seamstress. She made sort of made dresses for the sort of women in the area and fixed things and stuff like that. But she was quite a creative person, well, very creative person. She was always making something or mending something. And my dad used to sort of make things as well. He was quite creative in a different way, not in a less artistic way, in a more kind of practical way. So he's sort of like he used to make all of our furniture, and you know, sort of so everything we kind of owned was sort of homemade or second hand or something like that. So it's kind of quite a sort of an old upbringing, quite sort of left field and creative. And I think when I came to wanting to hear a certain sort of thing musically, when I couldn't quite hear it, I thought, well, I'll try and make it myself. And it was that kind of attitude. It's sort of like if you don't if you haven't got it, you make it, you know. And it's that sort of like, well I can do that, you know, because my mother used to make all our clothes and my dad used to make our furniture, So why can't I make songs? So I sort of sit there and bash out and try and you know, make write these rubbish songs. And you know, those rubbish songs were rubbish for many years and then some critical point got quite okay and people have started to like them.
Speaker 2: Is that when you were in bands like the Pigs and Jeff they were? Were they your first two bands that.
Speaker 4: You were in?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Pigs were, and yeah exactly, you know, it just kind of like silly.
Speaker 2: Were they punk bands?
Speaker 3: I don't even know what they were? Do you know what I mean? You're so kind of like without any sort of identity of just throwing all your influences and into the into the melting pot and making unlistenable rubbish. It's just guys sitting around. I mean, to call them bands is sort of like slightly kind of giving them a little bit too much kind of you know, it's given too much credit, just us sitting around with guitars on our laps, you know what I mean talking about being Yeah, because it's like, because I've sort of answered questions like this, it's like, you know, they become all the pigs. Well you know what were they like people assumed that we were kind of gigging around, you know, playing or something. You know, it's kind of some people sitting around kind of like writing some crappy songs. You know, it's you know, retrospectively, it's sort of like they've they've they've achieved more kind of you know than actually at the time. But it's a rite of passage, isn't it. For for for for lots of young men, you know, bitch forming a band and you know it's exciting.
Speaker 2: Can you remember when you first got up and sang in front of people?
Speaker 3: No, when I first started off in the band, I was the guitar player, right, that's sort of what I wanted to be.
Speaker 2: That was kind of was that the band that would become Swede or was that?
Speaker 3: No, there's a band of you know, when I first started off on these early kind of like you know, bedroomy bands sort of thing. I was the guitar player and and then I think I in jet We had this band called Funny Bank called Jeff, and the singer left and I sort of got sort of pushed to the front. It was kind of this weird sort of thing. And I was like, because I could sing, I was the only one could sing in tune sort of thing. It became this sort of thing and like, what do you sing? Like, Okay, then I suppose I'll give it a go. I wasn't sort of like, oh, I want to be a singer. I had to learn to be a singer. I had to sort of learned to, you know, to express myself. You know, when I first started as a singer, I was kind of thought it was all just about sort of singing in tune and singing nice words and singing nice songs and stuff like that. I didn't understand the kind of how you've got to sort of emote and have you got to give yourself to the music, all of these sorts of things.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I had to learn that over many years and many years of failure.
Speaker 2: So when you started to sing in front of people, because that's quite I always think that's a really terrifying thing to do. And I don't think I've ever met anyone any singer who said, oh, I wanted to be I knew I wanted to be the singer, and I was comfortable being the singer from day one. And I, you know, I don't know anyone that ever set out to be a singer and felt comfortable with it. It fascinates me that people put themselves through that torture, because to me, that's the hell. The idea of getting in front of people and having to sing is just I could I.
Speaker 3: Don't think, Well, that's why there's so much ego involved, because you have to sort of you have to believe in what you do in order to get up there. And that's why, and that the ego obviously goes out of control sometimes, and that's what's so exciting about bands going off the rails. It's this madness that kind of just goes wrong, and people love the soap opera of it. But that's why there is so much ego in amongst musicians and specially singers, because it's a sort of strange role to find yourself in and and but when you sort of get good at it, you know, which you have to sort of get fairly competent to sort of reach a certain standard. There's this there's an incredible thrill, and it goes from being this terrifying thing, and in the early days it is it was terrifying. I don't really know how the hell I kind of pushed through those early days because some of those early gigs were just so depressing. You know, we regularly there were more people on stage than in the audience. We once played to one person, you know, things like that, how can you kind of and you just have this blind self belief And I don't really know what it was based on, because I wasn't particularly musically adapt and we certainly hadn't really learned to riot and stuff at that point. And for some reason, I just pushed through it, and you just you just sort of I don't know, it's yeah, that sort of self belief which can mutate into into hubris.
Speaker 2: I think, can you remember the time that it did switch from being terrifying because there was obviously something there that made you, as you say, and you don't even necessarily know what it was or where that belief in yourself came from, but it was obviously there enough to make you go. And we've only paid to one person tonight, but we're still going to do another show, Yeah, because a lot of people would be like, best forget this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a bit embarrassing. I think when we started writing good songs, and there was a kind of weird period when me and Bernard started writing really good songs, it was a weird period sort of. There's about six month period when we were sort of like writing songs that would end up being on the first album and kind of being lavishly kind of you know, praised by the press sort of thing. But we're playing those things like Drowners and to the Birds and you know, Pantomime Holes, all these songs that end up on the first album meltal Mickey as well, and we were sort of still playing those to two people perhaps sort of thing, and everyone's like and we were kind of out. It was interesting. Thing was swayed because I think we were really out of step with what was going on at that point when we were on the Cusp, just before we made it, the whole sort of baggy shoegazing thing had just sort of like, you know, it was just kind of coming to his you know, dreary end and Swayed certainly weren't baggy and certainly weren't a shoegazing band. We're sort of doing something different. And first of all that was a weakness because people kind of like just ignored us and thought, well, they don't fit into this. But it allowed us to sort of go away and become good at what we were doing, which was being Swayed kind of thing. And then when we did sort of appear, we were kind of like we suddenly we felt like we were fully formed. You know, we didn't grow up in public. Sure, we had a lot of time in rehearsal rooms and playing to one person in pubs to kind of like you know, learn our crafts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the weird thing I think with Swayed is that you then were out of step even with Britpop to an extent retrospectively, that is still how Swede are considered now. When people talk of Britpop a lot of the time they're say that Swede kind of started britpop, but that then you kind of went your separate ways a little bit.
Speaker 3: It wasn't likely, Yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Was kind of your your world necessary, so you were kind of always out of step.
Speaker 3: I guess I've always wanted to be out of step. I've kind of like, you know, I don't like being sort of running with big packs, you know. I've always liked sort of being sort of occupying our own little space. And it is ironic that we kind of were sort of associated with with with the sort of biggest movement of that whole decade kind of thing. But you're absolutely right. I don't think we're I don't think we ever felt any kinship with it. It felt as though we'd started it and then it kind of like dissiplate appeared off and an old tangent. You know. When I was writing those songs in Whenever nineteen ninety nineteen ninety one, I was documenting Britain and the bands that came later. I think we was celebrating Britain, sure, And that's the huge difference there, you know. I was just singing from the point of view of a kind of like a poor why it's twenty something guy in London singing about my life, and my life was sort of like standing in dold cu'es looking at the dandruff on the color of the man in front of me and sort of like you know, rented flats and the throb of last Night's Hangover. You know, it certainly wasn't a celebration of this gingoistic flag waving celebration that it became the cool Britannia thing. And I did distance myself from that. I thought it was ugly. I thought it was I thought it was simplistic. I thought it was misogynistic. I thought it was horrible. And as soon as I saw what was happening with britpop, I kind of distanced myself and we wrote dog Man's Star, which is as Unbritpop an album as you can possibly get. It's about isolation, it's about disintegration, all of these things that's certainly not supposed to be a sort of like a beery sing along of an album. And yeah, I've always been very proud that we've tried our own path. You know, sometimes it's hard, but I think that history looks back on that tread drunk their own paths with you know, kindly hopefully sure, who knows, maybe not?
Speaker 2: And how about now, because The Blue Hour comes out on the twenty first of this month.
Speaker 3: We just leapt about twenty years.
Speaker 2: No, I know. Sorry, I've gone straight for it.
Speaker 3: Just I thought we're going kind of chronological wekness something, We're just going, We're just going. No, it's fine, go for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I just figured that. I mean, you must be sick of being people being talking to you about britpoff in any case, well or not so much.
Speaker 3: I don't mind. It's fine. I'd rather talk about about about what we're doing now, to be honest, But you know, I don't mind talking about it. I think as soon as you sort of like sort of starting I don't talk about that, that becomes the thing that people talk about. I always try and talk about it and talk around it and have something interesting to say about it.
Speaker 4: I hope you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when the thing I was going to ask about the new record is in relation to what you were saying about, how you know, early days of suage, you were writing about life in Britain, not celebrating life in Britain. Is that still the case now?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: What? What is the when you go to make a record now? Do you approach it the same way? Are you still just writing about your life in that same way?
Speaker 3: Of course? I always look for the details, you know, there's a that's always what I'm writing about. And with The Blueout kind of like I'm trying to find a new expression of you know, I'm trying to find a new way to be suade. I suppose I'm trying to find to express myself in a fresh way, but I suppose express myself within the thresholds of what the band is. You know, you've got to kind of like recognize your limitations and your and your I suppose you've got to recognize your You've got to kind of like recognize your your personality as a band. You know, I'm not, you know, sort of very foolish for for for the band to think that we could suddenly sort of become a reggae band or something like that. I'm being kind of silly, but obviously not. But do you know what I mean, there's limitations in which Wade work And with the Blueout, I was trying we're trying to sort of like push it a little bit further out. You know, I'm writing a lot about about kind of there's a sort of like it's set in quite a kind of like almost like certainly not set in an urban space. It's sort of set in a kind of like a slightly unpleasant kind of rural sort of hinter land, and I'm looking at looking at lots of the songs are written from the perspective of a child's point of view, And I suppose I was doing that because I was I wanted it wanted in lots of ways, lots of lots of the themes of the record is about kind of like parenting and stuff like that. But I suppose that the child's point of view was was was a way to try and create a sense of vulnerability and a sense of kind of like hesitation and a sense of a sense of unrest there, you know. And I didn't want to sing from a child's point of view in a kind of cliched sort of like you know, everything's great sort of sort of way, you know, I wanted to kind of look at it from a sort of slightly darker perspective and look at the kind of like slightly night create this almost like a slightly nightmareish sort of like vignettes, you know.
Speaker 2: The trader that first that preceded any tracks on the record is that footage of a dead bird and with that soundscape underneath it for about thirty seconds. Yeah, what does that embody that that kind of interesting. Yeah, because there's a track on there as well as in there, like an interlude called called dead Bird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yea, yeah, it sort of became it became a kind of sort of quite symbolic for me of, you know, kind of what I wanted to talk about. I suppose this sort of sense of kind of like the sense of sort of threat that there is in nature, you know, the kind of like you know that there's the sort of thing when you're in the countryside and constantly seeing road kill the side of the road, and it's always it's always kind of like animals from children's stories, you know, it's always kind of foxes and badgers and these sorts of things that you know, you're kind of reading to reading as you know, the children seeing there's these cuddly little characters and then you kind of like you kind of find them dead on the side of.
Speaker 2: You see, and when they're dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's kind of this odd sort of thing you know that you know, so the kind of like the dead bird image, Yeah, I kind of quite I don't know, it just seemed to sum it up, and it was sort of seemed to sum up the sort of the sort of psychic landscape of what I wanted to talk about. It kind of seems quite powerful, but at the same time quite prosaic, you know, that kind of thing that you know, it's very ordinary to sort of see a dead animals lying by the side of the road. There's nothing that special about it, but there's something quite there's something sort of tragic about it and sad about it and quite moving about it in lots of ways.
Speaker 2: There's a similar feel to the video for Life is Golden, which if anyone listening hasn't seen it yet, I'm getting it's shot on a drone and it's over.
Speaker 3: I think it has pronounced which is the.
Speaker 2: Town closest to THEBYL reactor. That's right, And it's this incredible landscape of a town that was deserted and nature's kind of overtaken it.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 2: It's an incredible video because it's such an incredible landscape. Have you ever been? Have you ever been there?
Speaker 3: Or I haven't been there. It's a friend of ours, Mike Christy, that made the video for us, and he sort of suggested he's a big fan of the band. He's been a dear friend for for many, many years. We met him through Derek Jarmin in about nineteen ninety three or something, and he made it for us, and he, you know, he sort of said, well, let's try putting this footage next to the song, and we're okay, I'll try it. And somehow, even though it obviously isn't there's no narrative link between the imagery of a deserted kind of town and the lyrics to the song, it somehow had a kind of grace and a kind of and a sort of poignancy that somehow reflected the lyrics to the song and kind of took took the lyrics somewhere else. I don't know, I can't. You know, it would be very easy to make a bit of a sickly video for Life is Gold, and I really didn't want to do that. And I like that. I like that it's it's it is. There's something quite moving about about the video, and I don't really know why it's moving. It's I've always loved that imagery, you know, NaN's folly reclaim by nature, that whole theme, you know, the final scene in the Planet of the Apes of the Statue of Liberty on the beach, that sort of thing. It's like, it's fascinating. I've always been fascinated with, you know, when you come across sort of like Second World War kind of concrete things in the countryside, overgrown, there's something really fascinating about it. And of course with Prippy Out there's a whole level backstory of tragedy and all of these things that I don't mean to sort of belittle in any way, but there's something there's something kind of very in a very simplistic way, quite beautiful about looking at sort of like nature reclaiming concrete, and somehow it's sort of it resonated with the song.
Speaker 2: It almost suits the rest of the record almost more than that track itself in a weird way. Yes, because as a whole record, it's parts of it feel a bit drunk, bit operatic, should I say, in terms of like music. There's a lot of strings on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's fatter, it's quite it's quite dark sounding record, yeah, across it. Yeah, and perhaps even your your most kind of dramatic sounding sued album.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it is.
Speaker 2: What did you intend that when you went into to make that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we were trying to sort of push it a little bit further, you know, with with with with Ninth thought I mean ninth Thoughts is pretty dramatic as well. I mean, I think we're just trying to sort of like just take it a little bit further out and make it, you know, to do things that we've not done before, you know, things like the spoken word pieces of spoken word piece called Roadkill on there, and to use things like choral voices and stuff like that, just to try and push it, push the limits of what we do a little bit further out. But I don't think that, you know, there's nothing wrong with it kind of trying to make a dark record. I think people sometimes when sometimes when you're kind of like in this sort of state when I'm kind of promoting a record record, companies are a little bit fearful of this, of the their band sort of saying it's a dark record. I was kind of like slightly regret When I was promoting dog Man Star, there was that sort of thing. Bernard had left the band, and we were sort of trying to put on this brittle mask of optimism about the band's and I kind of like there was this sort of bullshit narrative about the record being about about ambition and all this stuff, and it's not an record about ambition. It's a record about disintegration and falling apart. But that doesn't make it any you know, that doesn't make it. You know, if I was a kind of like a fan of the band, i'd want to listen to that. You know, I love things that are about failure and about falling apart and about darkness and stuff like that. You know, we're not kind of a boy band. You know, that's not the role of Swede to kind of like make nice sounding, sort of little love songs about kind of meeting a nice girl at the shop sort of thing. You know, we're trying that's not our role, and it shouldn't be. That shouldn't be what we're trying to do. You know. One of the greatest things that happened that's happened to us over the last since we've reformed, is kind of realizing that we're not part of the mainstream anymore. And I think that's a really freeing thing, you know, when you realize, you know, we're not kind of going to get played on radio one anymore, and that sort of thing, and that's fine. What leave that to people in their twenties, that's absolutely fine. But if you're still making music in your fifties, and if you're still if you still really care about it, I think it's important to sort of explore these kind of murky corners of life, you know, to take to try and take the format some sort of into a new place, you know. That's My favorite records are dark, you know, unknown pleasures. God, how dark is that? You know? It's you know, you know, it's it's about exploring these things.
Speaker 2: I think, how do you feel when you're approaching a release of a record?
Speaker 3: Now? Oh, it's always horrible, is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What the worry of it being how it's receiving?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's because it's it's sort of you never quite know because it's sort of when you're making a record. What's parallel how it parallels what we were talking about earlier about having needing to believe in what you do in order to get up on the stage, in order to go and go in the studio and to write songs. In order to finish a song, you've got to kind of believe that you can't kind of get halfway through writing the song and think, oh, this is a lot of shit, because otherwise you just wouldn't finish it. In order to finish these things, you have to believe in them, and so there's a certain sense where you're kind of like you're sort of like manufacturing a kind of like a sort of fantasy about how the record's going to be going to be received, and then when you actually release it, you're confronted with the reality and even kind of like good reviews can sometimes be kind of disheartening. I can't really really describe it.
Speaker 2: There's something there's something about being good but they're getting it.
Speaker 4: Wrong, yeah, or kind of just there's just sort of there's just something belittling about kind of being in you know, your work being assessed.
Speaker 3: No matter how how kindly it's being assessed, there's always something and this is this is the big This is the big sort of like paradox that are to struggle with, you know, this whole thing of like you know, the axiomatic truth of like you can't release your work into the public arena and then be annoyed if someone doesn't like it, because it's it's sort of like, well, you're asking for some sort of assessment of it, you know what I mean. Yeah, and it's you know, it's you do struggle with that, but it's kind of you have to if you're going to carry on doing this. I mean, what I've been thinking about a lot recently is how much a song or any kind of art lives with its audience. And you can create something and it's not until you kind of give it to the world and get feedback about it and get you know that sort of you know that you quite know what you think of it yourself. You know, that's an interesting process. I think.
Speaker 2: Has it got any easier at all? When swayed when the first record was coming out, yeah, twenty days before or how far we are you know, like two weeks before? Can you remember how that felt compared to like how it feels now. Were you more of a wreck then than you are now?
Speaker 3: I think I think you kind of it doesn't really get any easy. It's like one of those sort of things like kind of dating or something like that. And I haven't been up to date for many, many years, kind of in my forties. In my late thirties, i did and it's like, you know, it's like, God, this is really hard work, isn't it? You know what I mean? It's one of those things that it doesn't. You feel as though it.
Speaker 2: Should be getting easier, it should be.
Speaker 3: Getting into just just it just doesn't. And it's it's fine. No, I don't know. I think when our first album came out, we were on such that we were kind of on this huge wave of sort of madness. And you know, I don't I didn't know what was going on with I don't even know. I can't even remember what I was really like in those days. It feels it feels like it was happening to someone else almost. I think as you get older, you get more sensitive, you get kind of like, you know, it's never it's never easy to deal with these things. It's always it's always tricky. It's always it's always a journey.
Speaker 2: And this is the third record of it's kind of it's the third of three, isn't it. These three are a kind.
Speaker 3: Of yeah, I think of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are a compliment to each one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think of it like that. Maybe I'd just like the idea of a trilogy or whatever. It's kind of it sounds quite cool, but strangely, I do think of them as like this group that kind of almost like one has led on to the other, and it feels as though we're sort of going further left field with the Blue Hout. It's almost like the kind of night Thoughts was the sort of midpoint, and I think the next one we'll kind of we'll sort of step back. And I don't mean that to sound kind of like, oh, we're going to kind of like be less sort of you know, we're still try and try and do things that challenge us and challenge our audience, but but I think we'll we'll we'll step back from that whole journey.
Speaker 2: When you started making blood Sport as the first of these three were the other two kind of planned out. They've become a three now. But was that a later thing.
Speaker 3: I had a vague idea that we'd we'd make sort of three records. I kind of like that idea, but you can you can never really think that far ahead. You can only really think of I didn't sort of have a you know, you learn so much about the record you're making while you're making it, and you can have a vague, very very very vague idea of the sort of shape it might occupy, but it always changes and it should change as well, because it's it's sort of like you're finding things out about it, and that's that's where it becomes kind of real and interesting, in the kind of mistakes you make and the sort of you know, all those sorts of things.
Speaker 2: So where does the Blue Hour fit into the trilogy?
Speaker 3: It's the furthest left field of the records. I think. I think it's the most I think it's the most challenging, but I think in lots of ways it's the most it's the most rewarding once you kind of get inside the world of it, once you once you kind of like understand the record, once you kind of like you go through the looking glasses, I think it's a really rewarding record. But I think it's very very rich. So that's my opinion, which is completely meningless. It's not it's not for me to say, but people kind of people whose opinion I trust, who know the band really well, that's the kind of message I've been getting back from people that at first they were like oh okay, and then a few lessons in they're like whoa, okay, this is yeah, this is going somewhere interesting.
Speaker 2: And we mentioned your memoir. You've written a memoir between the between the last record and this record?
Speaker 3: I did, Yeah, how was it?
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 2: The last of these podcasts that I did was with Johnny Maher earlier this year, and we spoke about his memoir and asked him what it was like to write a memoir. Yeah, And my question to him was, well, did you find it as cathartic as you thought you would? And his answer was no, he is still waiting for the cthassicism of writing an autobiography to hit him and it's still not actually arrived. How is it for you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did find it very catharsticy. I love the process of it, and I kind of learned a lot about myself doing it, actually, a lot about myself. And you know, it started off as a very very personal thing of well, I mean, every memoir is very very personal. But I think sometimes I think that sometimes rock biographies kind of drift into into kind of, you know, a formula in the same way that in the same way the bands drift into a formula. A band, a band's life cycle is very formulaic. It's struggle followed by success, followed by excess followed by disintegration, and very few bands managed to deviate from that path, and if you're lucky, you get kind of like end up with a point sort of like a point of enlightenment somewhere after that. And so therefore rock biographies tend to follow a very formulaic sort of you know arc and I didn't want to do that, and that's why that's why I finished the book finishes in nineteen ninety two when we got When We Get, When we Got signed, which I thought was a kind of like a symbolic moment in a band's career, you know, it's the first moment where you kind of should publicly achieve any sort of success, and regardless of what happens after that is another story. So I wanted it to be about a story about my early life, very much about my family. It started off specifically as a book about my father, and that's one of the main themes in the book. It's about kind of fatherhood. Really, it's about looking at myself as a son and looking at myself as a parent and kind of like you know, those kind of things. But obviously it became sort of not just a book about parent who it's a book about struggle and failure and all of these sorts of things. But I loved writing it. I really like, I really did enjoy the process of writing it. I loved how writing prose kind of like there's a real freedom to it, which you don't have when you're writing songs. When you're writing songs, you're kind of there's something incredibly sort of you've got to try and make it work within this very very narrow kind of kind of space, and it kind of it's quite constrictive, and when it does work, it resonates really really well. You know, the power of three words sung with the right melody and the right back and can be kind of life changing. But you don't have that kind of like freedom just to sort of meander off and talk about your school dinners in nineteen eighty three or something like that within the context of a song, you know, yeah, certainly not in the context of a pop song. And I like that. I like, I like just sort of like exploring these little avenues of memory.
Speaker 2: You know, do you envisage a time when you do write your Memoile from ninety two onwards? Is there a part two? Or are you not interested in that at all.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say that, I wouldn't say I'm not interested. You know, it's about kind of trying to find a way into that that isn't kind of you know, just the kind of conventional path and look at trying to look at it from a different point of view, trying to look at sort of you know, maybe maybe more from the point of view of kind of like almost a sort of looking at myself as a as a as a as a case study almost and looking at looking at kind of how success and fame and all of these things affected me as a person, almost like looking at looking that almost like as a sort of like a a sort of like a case study. I don't quite have to explain it. There's a really good book by Alan de Barton called The Course of Love, which is about a relationship and at the end of it it's just you know, not just but it's a story of you know, kind of people falling in love and falling out of love, and every at the end of every chapter there's a sort of almost like there's a couple of paragraphs which is sort of like from a sort of psychology point of view, about what's happening to the people. He's feeling this because of this, she's feeling this because of that, do you know what I mean? And it's really interesting to suddenly it's almost like this sort of like you know, sort of like this sort of an aside turning too the camera and by the way, this is going on here now, and it's kind of I love that's the duality to it, and maybe I could write something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The first book is called Cold Black Morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Where where does that title come from?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Just I'd write a lot of things down. I steal a lot of things that I read, you know, things from newspapers and things over here, and and I just read it somewhere. I have notebooks, and I write all these things down in notebooks, and I probably nixed it from someone and I apologize, But you know, there's that's there's no no arts original.
Speaker 2: You know, having done that, having done your your memoir, what kind of is there left that you would like to do?
Speaker 3: The West End musical?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Andersons, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I mean, no, I'm being facetious. I don't know. I don't want to becoming up Jack of all trades, you know what I mean, I kind of like I want to just making more music. Yeah, I mean, you know, I really enjoyed writing a book, but I'm not sure if I'm if I am a writer, you know, no matter how much I enjoyed it, I feel as though, you know, you need to kind of choose your weapons. And I like, I sort of like making records is very very hard, and actually gets harder as you get older. But when you get it right and when you know there's a there's a sort of power to it that that is incredibly addictive. Actually, So just making more records or anything.
Speaker 1: Midnight Chats is a Loud and Quiet podcast. Music courtesy of gold Panda. Search Midnight Chats on iTunes for more episodes and to subscribe. For more information, visit Loud and Quiet dot com.
Speaker 4: M