Speaker 1: I am all in all let's just you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody's Scott Patterson.
Speaker 3: I am all in Podcasts, want to Let Productions.
Speaker 4: And we've got pop Culture Season six, Episode five, We've got Magic to Do, joined by my Interrepid crew once again, taras Dude, Susanne French, your current queen and favorite.
Speaker 1: Uh and the raining Queen and favorite. Here we have the Amy, the sugar and the Man, the Amy Sugar Man.
Speaker 3: Let's say Suki panicked about the fire, Michelle.
Speaker 5: She's been Scarlett o'hiris for two hours, sickening.
Speaker 1: You know, Michelle had some great lines in this, didn't he La, It's just.
Speaker 5: Suiting my whole life, my whole life flash, I mean, that's upset. Scarlett O'Hara's a fictional character and the protagonist and Margaret Margaret Mitchell's nineteen thirty six novel Gone with the Wind, and in the nineteen thirty nine fell Michelle is comparing Suki to Scarlett O'Hara is Gone with the Wind. She is often seen as having theatrical reactions to things happening.
Speaker 2: Luke and Jackson bickering, which was not my favorite part while fixing the stove. So, Mutton Jeff, what's the prognosis here? Mutton Jeff was a long running and very popular American newspaper comic strip created by cartoonist Bud Fisher in nineteen oh seven about two mismatched tinhorns.
Speaker 6: I don't even know what a tin horn is.
Speaker 2: Augustus Mutt is a tall, dim witted racetrack character, a fanatic horse race gambler who is motivated by greed. Jeff is an inmate of an insane asylum who shares his passion for horse racing.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I never knew any of that.
Speaker 4: Wow, Wow, Wow wonder.
Speaker 2: I liked Family Circle. I liked watching, I mean reading Family Circle.
Speaker 6: I'm not a fu.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's intense, Tara, all right, So Norah's praising Rory. Nora says we need to take a swing here, and Babe Ruth sits before us. George Herman Babe Ruth was an American professional baseball player whose career in the MLB spanned twenty two seasons from nineteen fourteen to nineteen thirty five. Nicknamed the Bambino and the Sultan of Swat, he began his MLB career as a star left handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. And Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture, and it's considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time.
Speaker 2: This is probably a weird question, and I don't mean to disminish the you know, amazingness of Babe Ruth. Is the Baby Ruth candy named after Baby Ruth?
Speaker 6: Yes, okay, great, I like a baby Ruth. It's called a baby Ruth.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Why would you be diminishing.
Speaker 2: Because we should be talking about all his achievements and instead I'm just like, is here a named after the candy bar?
Speaker 1: He was an orphan?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 2: Is that why it was?
Speaker 4: He came out of a Baltimore orphanage? No way, h whoa true true American legend, true American legend.
Speaker 8: All right, So this is Rory planning the Daar event. She says, Now there must be a color photo of the Hollywood Canteen. The Hollywood Canteen was a club offering food, dancing, and entertainment for servicemen who were usually on their way overseas. It operated at fourteen fifty one Kingo Boulevard in Los Angeles, which is the neighborhood of Hollywood, between October third, nineteen forty two and November twenty second, nineteen forty five. The canteen was also open to servicemen of Allied countries as well as well as women in all branches of service.
Speaker 9: Oh well, you know, okay, what if we have here Paris telling glory?
Speaker 1: She is brought Paris.
Speaker 10: So enter the bank and he used a few choice expletives, and a bunch of guys started closing out on me.
Speaker 1: So I started.
Speaker 9: Pacing and yelling Attica attica from the film Albacina. And then the manager hit a little red button under his desk. So I ran out of there and came right over here on a paper, probably playing hurdy gurdy on the street corners and selling pencils out of the same cup Paris, and preferring.
Speaker 1: To the saying Attica attica that is from.
Speaker 4: The movie Dog Day Afternoon nineteen seventy five, American biographical crime drama starring a young al Pacino as an inexperienced criminal who leads a bank robbery that quickly goes wrong and.
Speaker 1: Turns into a hostage situation.
Speaker 9: He shows Attica Attica, referring to the Attica prison riot in nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 1: You didn't see you didn't see Attica. I mean you didn't see Dodd. Ok sure?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: No, okay, nor I encouraging Luke to do things he likes.
Speaker 6: You haven't been camping in forever.
Speaker 2: Be Grizzly Adams John Grizzly Adams was a famous California mountain man and trainer of grizzly bears and other wild animals he captured for menageries, zoological gardens and circuses.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: Grizzly Adams was the ultimate mountain man living in the Sierra Nevada, where I often reside, and he made a hunting and trapping expedition some twelve hundred miles from base camp in California to eastern Washington Territory it's now western Montana. Lorli is telling Luke get out in the woods, be the ultimate mountain man. Like Grizzly Adams.
Speaker 1: Mess around with grizzly bears.
Speaker 9: You made them different back then, I guess what read this?
Speaker 6: But I have a giant flag on this.
Speaker 1: Who's who's going to read?
Speaker 6: Somebody read it?
Speaker 2: And it's not this read this because I want to make fun of it, because it's not right.
Speaker 1: Terror. I almost called you, Rory, go ahead, Terror.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 7: So workers are hanging up a photo of Betty Davis, Betty Davis, Betty Davis.
Speaker 6: It's not Betty Davis. It's Betty that made the flag. What was her name? Oh, it's Betty Davis.
Speaker 2: It was Betty Davis with the flag drink over her Betty.
Speaker 8: I had to look because I thought at first I thought this was wrong too. I thought it was Betty Grable, and then I went back and rewatched it, and the picture is actually Betty Davis.
Speaker 6: Who made the flat? Who was the lady that invented it?
Speaker 8: Was like in the seventeen hundred, I understand.
Speaker 2: But what is that lady's name?
Speaker 6: What is that lady's name? Betsy Ross? Betsy?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, so it was Betty's a couple hundred years ago.
Speaker 6: Time has no meaning to me, Susan.
Speaker 2: Wait, it was Betty Davis, as in Betty Davis Eyves Carnes song.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, okay they're.
Speaker 4: Just hanging up a photo of her, because that's all continue. She was a huge she was the huge movie star every day.
Speaker 6: But you know, right, I'm I'm the dummy. I'm the dumb dumb here.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you're not your question, You're just your curates, your curates.
Speaker 7: All right, So Rory says, WHOA treat her gently? There, boys, Betty's life was tough enough, so Ruth Elizabeth Betty Davis was an American actress with a career spanning more than fifty years and a hunter acting credits. She was famous for her performances in a range of film genres, from contemporary crime melodramas to historical films, suspense, horror, and occasional comedies, but her greatest successes were in romance dramas. Davis was known for her forceful and intense style of acting. She could be combative and confrontational with studio executives and film directors, as well as with her co stars. Her success had often been at the expense of her personal relationships. She married four times, divorcing three, and widowed once when her second husband died unexpectedly. She raised her children largely as a single parent.
Speaker 8: I have a fun fact on Betty Betty Davis. My grandmother did hair and make up at Warner Brothers back in the thirties, and she knew Betty Davis.
Speaker 10: Really Betty Davis story.
Speaker 8: Betty Davis actually gave my grandmother an engagement gift when she got engaged.
Speaker 1: Nice, you don't hear those stories.
Speaker 7: Only do you know what it was?
Speaker 6: What the gift was?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 8: Actually it was from the set of the movie they were working on at the time, which was Dark Victory, and it's about a woman behind and there's she spends a lot of time. I haven't seen the movie, but she spends a lot of time in her bedroom, I guess. And she gave my grandmother the comforter that was on the bed on the set, and my mom remembers as a little kid taking naps on that comforter.
Speaker 7: It was so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Know, I wish I knew what happened to it. It probably my grandmother wasn't super sentimental, so it probably wore out and she threw away, right, all right, So this is Paris arriving to work at the dr event, she says, and I'm prepared to I was a little nervous last night about making small talk with co workers. So I went to the video store and wrenched Working Girl, and the first season of Just Shoot Me made me laugh. Got a couple of Wendy Mallick bond mold that have already come in handy. Working Girl is a nineteen eighty eight American romantic comedy drama film starring Harrison Ford, Sigourney Weaver, and Melanie Griffith about an ambitious secretary from Staten Island who takes over her new boss's role while the boss is laid up with a broken leg.
Speaker 2: Why can't I think of the theme song of Working Girl? It's Carly Simon.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's so like, yeah, yeah, I don't recognize that at all.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, actually nailing it.
Speaker 6: You're nailing it, Scott. Don't listen to her. You're nailing it. Dum dum, I got it.
Speaker 2: Start nailing it.
Speaker 7: Du.
Speaker 6: I can't think of the title. Oh the River Run? You had it, Scott, you did good.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to watch the movie.
Speaker 6: I guess Just shoot Me the.
Speaker 12: America that the River Run was sort of the theme to Titanic many years before that, Like you kind of had that.
Speaker 6: Run what's the Titanic One again?
Speaker 2: My heart will go.
Speaker 4: On, Selene, I thought the Tannic One, the Titanic One was I can what something a buff lying?
Speaker 6: It's Celine.
Speaker 2: My heart will go on.
Speaker 4: Oh one, Okay, gotcha directed that I did?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 8: Okay. Just is an American sitcom television series about several staff members working in the office of a fictional fashion magazine, Blush, a David.
Speaker 6: David's bad classic come On, come on.
Speaker 8: A good one.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Wendy Mallack plays Nina van Horne, the fashion editor at Blush.
Speaker 6: But Susanne, what is a bon mot?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 8: In French it means good word, so probably like a I don't know, like a saying I keep saying.
Speaker 2: All right, So this is Paris, serving food, Paris. I'd love a performance review. Come on be my Dave Navarro, this is an obscure reference that I actually got. Dave Navarro is an American guitarist. He is best known as a member of the rock band Jane's Addiction, with whom he recorded four studio albums. But this is a reference to when Navarro co hosted with Brooke Burke two seasons with the Mark Burnett television series rock Star in Excess, Fifteen contestants competed to become the lead vocalist for the band. In Excess Paris is referring to Dave Novarro giving feedback to the contestant who competed to the contestants who competed on that series. I actually watched the first season and it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was that.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a fun show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 6: I think e'rerope me, yeah, me, yeah, go for it.
Speaker 1: What am I doing here? Oh? This is a good one, all right, all right?
Speaker 3: Roy getting angry that Logan's mother, Shira Huntsberger, showed up unannounced Paris. While you're always so Desmond to two e. This is referring to Desmond to two in South African Anglican bishop and the You're known for his work as an anti apartheid in human rights activists. He was Bishop of Johannesburg, South Africa from nineteen eighty five to eighty six and then Archbishop of Cape Down from eighty six to ninety six, in both cases being the first.
Speaker 13: Black African to hold the position. Paris as comparing Rory to Desmond to too because He often was compassionate, optimistic, and preach forgiveness, which tends to be Rory's usual nature.
Speaker 7: I'll do the next one. Lauralei's watching Kirk's recital performance, and Lorelei says, so.
Speaker 6: It's the birth of Lucille Ball. That's a good line.
Speaker 7: Lucille Ball was an American actress and producer, and known for starring in the popular television series I Love Lucy. As an entertainer and businesswoman, Ball continuously broke barriers for women in the entertainment business.
Speaker 3: You know, I want to give a shout out out to Sean Gunn for portraying kir Oh my God, as the poor man's Marcel. Marcel to mind, that was it was one of the highlights of the entire series in terms of Kirk's character.
Speaker 6: It's like a pretty popular Kirk scene too.
Speaker 1: It's hysterical. I mean, how can you not just like fall off the couch anyway? I think Suzanne is up.
Speaker 6: So this is Mitch.
Speaker 8: Mitchell is seeing. Rory's writing wasn't great? Richard said as well. When I said great, I didn't mean she was Ben Bradley yet, but she could be. Ben Bradley was an American journalist who served as managing editor and later as executive editor of The Washington Post from nineteen sixty five to nineteen ninety one. He became a public figure when the Post joined the New York Times in publishing the Pentagon Papers and gave the go ahead for the paper's extensive coverage of the Watergate scandal.
Speaker 1: Wowa gonna do it for pop culture. Kids enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us, uh, Tyrus and Amy. Always great to see your smiling faces and hear your opinionated opinions.
Speaker 5: Next episode, Season six, episode six, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: We are now officially signing off best fans on the planet. Keep the cards letters comming. We want to hear them. We what can we do better? What could we do worse? What? Why would I.
Speaker 6: Get worse that what we do?
Speaker 4: Work?
Speaker 2: Could we do?
Speaker 1: Work?
Speaker 6: I know?
Speaker 1: Start getting emails? I say nothing, nothing, you can't do anything.
Speaker 2: You're already You've.
Speaker 3: Got it, You've got it down, all right, that's gonna do it, everybody.
Speaker 10: Thanks for downloading, Thanks for tuning in. Next episode, Season six, episode six, Welcome to the Dollhouse. Keep the cards letters coming, Thank you, ladies, and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 4: You always remember that we and I I'm all that, stay safe, everybody.
Speaker 1: Everybody, and don't forget.
Speaker 13: Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com