Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to your favorite podcast, She gets in Chill. I hope that you're having a beautiful week. If it is Monday and you know you're watching this on Monday, it will be have an amazing week and neither day. Honestly, thank you for tuning in, either if you're listening or watching. Thank you so much. I am very excited today because I have a very special guest, someone that needs a lot to meet, someone that I've been wanting to have on my podcast for a very long time. And I have my little pew carts here, but I don't think I'm even going to use them. And she's a family member. And her name is Karina Rivera Nabarrow. Everybody say hat to be cut in. So this is my cousin. We're two years apart, right because it's two years apart, and she is. For those of you who are familiar with their family, she is my mom's brother, Will Stravel. So there's Pete, my uncle Gus, then my mom, then my dear little Bee well and Rosie. So this is my uncle who, that's daughter who my theo guys I love very much. I have to actually bring them on the pod. You guys. I think it would be a very yeah, it would be a very great freaking conversation. But I thought it'd be nice to bring my cousin because this is I'm gonna say it, and I don't want her anyone's feelings, but this is my favorite cousin. She's been my favorite cousin since Ford.
Speaker 2: We have the favorites, you know, forever. We just we grew up together. This was I was explaining, you know, I was only able to spend the night at two people's houses if it was at the HS house and the AS house.
Speaker 1: So that was that's who you Yeah, yep, And same year, we spent a lot of time together. Yeah, and Trey is my mom. That's what they call my mom, Chay the family, and and yeah, my mom would only let me spend the night at you know, Patty at the Obus's house. So we did a lot of summers together, and we grew up together, and we've lived through a lot, you guys. So we're gonna talk about a lot of things, because we didn't even really talk much about what we're going to talk and we have the few cards here, but I just want to let the conversation flow and and you're married, cousin, so it was okay, that's say in tomorrow. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One thing I will tell you, and I think i've told you this, cousin, is that I'm so grateful because you were one of the few people that stood by me during that time that my mom and all were sorry. Yeah, she were very pissed.
Speaker 2: I was, and I mean one of the last messages that I got to message with you know, your mom was like, you know, you got to talk to this lady. I always felt like I was able to tell her like.
Speaker 1: Lady like no, yeah, that's what it was. Figgure right now because my mom would always say, and when I was younger, they should work with my feelings. I'm not evenna lie, but my mom would say, why can't you be like your cousin Karna. She she should have been my daughter because she's smart, because you've always gotten straight a's, because you've been good in school. She's a reader. She would get straight a's. And I'm I'm gonna lie. I was I was a C student. I was like, I'm gonna just get by.
Speaker 2: These students are bosses.
Speaker 1: Thank you, cousin. It used to hurt my feelings, I'm like, Mom, how can you say that? She's like, yeah, I have some dumb ass kids and they sure, now, no, we're doing other thing. But yes, my cousin, he's always been very intelligent. You're very smart, straight A student, like, that's one thing my mom was, you guys had a very nice and unique relationship because you were one of the few people that can also tell her hey, I don't agree with that thea.
Speaker 2: Again, I would never say disrespectful because I know she would cuss me out or yah to me.
Speaker 1: But talking about her cussing us out, do you want to tell everyone about that time that she beat around?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, that is like.
Speaker 2: My favorite story to tell because it was in November.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget.
Speaker 2: It was Jackie's birthday and we were going to it was Tracky Cheese and Lakewood and Cheeks was like, let's go see Junior and I was like he was my little boyfriend. Yeah, I guess her boyfriend at the time. And we were down the street and Cheeks was like, okay, let's see her. Mom's key and I just worked at all the times. I was like, you know, I felt I was like, we can get cat.
Speaker 1: I was like it doesn't matter. Okay, let's say took the keys on my back.
Speaker 2: We went and my mom called my the cell phone that was in there or whatever, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh my god, we're gonna get in trouble.
Speaker 2: And yeah, right when we were over there, they started calling. Well, we got back to the chirky cheese, shaggy cheese. My bianche was like, let's go for a ride. She took my mom's car.
Speaker 1: It was at eighty seven Mercedes, I'll never bring it.
Speaker 2: And she parked and she like, you know, she slept us around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was before all this. Yeah, it was a thing you guys that you should not do this in touch your children. I'm probably if she was here, she would have cared. Now, always the type of mom would be like, I tell him it's cool that I kicked dressing. Oh yeah, oh yeah Dan yeah no game.
Speaker 2: So then she you know, can tra us And then she made us saying to Jackie saying you having birthday to her and you better be up yes or so there we are like cheeks, you know.
Speaker 1: Holding back tears.
Speaker 2: I'm holding back to yours because I'm like pissed and I'm like, damn.
Speaker 1: I got in trouble and it's all my fault because then I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: And then two weeks after that, to eat your mom calls the house and she has to talk to me. She's like, Mayhan, She's like, are you still mad at me?
Speaker 1: I was like no.
Speaker 2: She's like, okay, what are you off for Christmas?
Speaker 1: And that was oh my mom, you know that was my cousain. Just she's like, she's probably like I want to say no to this girl. But all right, here we go. Oh my gosh, kids don't do that. Okay, yeah, listen to your parents. Please listen to your parents. But okay, now get into something a little bit more serious. This is a question that I don't think I've asked you, but I want to ask you. How what have you felt about me not using the last day of Rivera because you are Rivera? But like one, you could be straight up like how do you feel about it?
Speaker 2: You know, listen, it didn't bother me. I don't feel like that.
Speaker 1: Was an issue.
Speaker 2: I understand, Like why because at one point in our lives having the last name Rivera was such an honor and you decided that to use that. I was like, you know, that's that's that's fine. Like she stands on her own, like she could do it on her own. So, you know, I think it was good because everybody knows you as Cheeky's not like you know, cheeee Rivera Cheekys, so they know like you. I personally wasn't offended. I know maybe some people in our family might have been offended.
Speaker 1: By that, but yeah, yeah, because I've gotten that question a lot. And it's not that I didn't want to use it. It's just I've always I've always been Jenny Marine, yeah, no matter what my dad did. Yeah, I've always held on to that. Last year, I never felt the need to change it. I mean, Mikey feels different, which I respect. Did Mikey changes He has it legally, but he wants to and he wants to also, like you know, change his daughter's last names. And I don't know, if I'm talking too much, you will probably be upset with me. But that's what I know. I don't think he's done it yet. He wants him to be Rivera, and I'm fine with that. I respect everyone's dicisies, you know how I am. I just I always was like, Okay, I want to be known as cheeky's and not that I'm not proud of my mother and everything. Yeah she accomplished, but not because I'm like, oh, I'm descending my dad's last name. It's just more of like who I am. Yeah, I know what I mean. And now that all this stuff has happened in our family, to be honest, I feel better about it. Yeah, I'm like, to be honest, I'm like, I don't not that I don't want to be associated because that's my family regarded as that's my blood regardless, and I never wish to anything bad like at all, but I just don't. There's a lot of things that I don't agree with and all like things that have happened that just I'm like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I completely I completely agree him. Yeah, you're not wanting to fold on to that. You know, it's completely relevant because, like you said, everything that has happened, especially in the past eleven years, has been a motherfucking a lot. It has had a lot to process still, So there's day a lot to process, a lot to heal, a lot of still grief, you know.
Speaker 1: Jennakan that said, at the end of day, it's a cycle. It's not linear.
Speaker 2: It's like some dings are cool, and then some days you're like, what this is really life? This is not what I had envisioned or when we were growing up, or how our dynamics were as far as our family dynamics, never expected things to.
Speaker 1: Churn out how they were.
Speaker 2: But then you you adjust, you learn to deal with to kind of like re learn how to relive, you know.
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to say that it was always all bad. There was always a lot of things in our family that happened that you and I would talk about, what little yeah, behind closed doors and it's just like, I don't know, this is a little weird. Yeah, A lot of things, a lot of jealousy, a lot of stuff that we would notice when we were cloyers.
Speaker 2: Well we're teenagers, and I would ask you like, is this like, am I seeing things from a weird point of view? Or you know, or you see kind of what I'm seeing That we did see a lot of things.
Speaker 1: I was like, No, a lot of jealousy amongst the women. It was a lot of jealousy amongst women. And I'm sure a lot of the people that are listening or watching can relate, you know. I think this happens a lot in many families. It's just our family happens to be a famous one or a very successful one or whatever you want to call it. But this is stuff that we've noticed for a very long time. I think we just knew how to hide it, or there wasn't social media or you know, all this stuff. But there were moments that we had great Christmases together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: There were time when we lived off of Illu streeted Long Beach at Grandma's house and for Christmas, Oh, he had it there, and you know, and Grandma and Grandpa were still together, and they would give us I can see as you remember that they you know, and we would break them and they would make us box, you guys in the hard, boxing each other. I had a box Doorna. She beat my ass every time. And then my mom passed and I was one of the main pillars, I think in her family.
Speaker 2: And that's when I realized that this now, I really realized that, like, damn, my aunt really held this family together.
Speaker 1: She didn't.
Speaker 2: And you start processing now you're like, damn, like this is not what I thought my family was. Like you said, I love a family. I didn't never wish about it will or nothing like that. It's just not what I thought what happened exactly. I thought it was gonna make people closer. I thought it was gonna make you know. I was like, you know, I love being on the sidelines and seeing you know, like you cousin doing your singing, You're seeing other people doing their thing them. I was like, you know, awsome be fabulous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been pretty crazy. And I realized and I always knew that my mom was a pillar because I saw how people would look for her and how she was needed financially. Yeah, it's just the truth. Whether people want to admit it or not, the truth is I saw and I lived it at first. So many conversations, my mom told me so many things. She helped out a lot of people going back to so this whole thing I did realize that who my mom was in the family was that my mom would tell people straight up, like she would not put up with anyone's book. Yeah, no, she didn't. And if something was wrong, she would see it. She would either write you an email. She loved that emails, you know, but she would let it be old, you know, and she'd be like, this is what's going on, and this is why I'm moving to Corona. And I don't agree with this, that's why. That's why we moved to Corona because of Grandpa and his affair. Okay, that's why. Because I don't know if you remember, growing up, we were all at like in a certain radius. Everyone had to be either in loam, beat your thing.
Speaker 2: It couldn't be too far.
Speaker 1: So it was like this family thing. Yeah, and my mom said, f this, I'm gonna be the first one to move away. Yeah, because I was so disappointed and so hurt that my grandpa was having an affair with a woman that was her age. I was having a baby. She was distraught. She just was like, that's my daddy like coming so our family. Mom was so distorted. She just said, f this, I'm leaving, And from there she started happening. Yeah, you know, it was already kind of Yeah. And I'm not trying to judge my grandpa. I don't agree with a lot of things. I still love my grandpa. I left my grandpa through it, but that's the truth, you know, And I think it did Hyperrito, mister Burrito, and I'm missing him. I haven't talked to him in so long. You know, it's it's real mest up all this stuff that's happening. But there's again there's a lot of stuff that I don't agree with. Yeah, but that's when we moved away and my mom would just say how it is, and I when she was no longer there, there was like no authority. Yeah. Then I think that's when it was that everything was chaotic and they're missing of course they're missing their daughter, they're missing their sister. Like it's such a huge law. It was a world our family that it just everything that was chaos. Yeah. You know, for a long time I was very like considered of that and compassionate about everyone's feelings. But then it gets to a point where you're like I can't excuse that. I'm sorry no matter what. Yeah, you still got to act right because yeah, my mom's like here physically, but she still watched it. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's that's one thing is like that my aunt was my aunt.
Speaker 1: I respected my aunt.
Speaker 2: I knew that lady did not play and I just knew that a lot of things that have happened was in his past eleven years.
Speaker 1: My aunt was still near that would not ever, ever, ever.
Speaker 2: Ever, not a word would have came out of people's mouth, not certain actions.
Speaker 1: I just know that for sure. That's one thing I will say. Mam was an amazing provis was a great mom. We had a relationship that we were sisters and they were just so so close, but we loved each other so much. Honestly, I think I can go to my mom for anything. It's our mom, Simon, so I want and she would get it from me. Because right now I remember the Buddy which she surprised me with that car yet you know it was blue. Yeah, you know it's a vertical verto. It had just came out. Yeah, it was two early two thousand early two. I think it was two thousand and three somebody. Yeah, right, I think you are what for your sixteenth birthday problem? Now, huh something like that? Oh my mama. But now that we're talking about all this and that you know that it's true you lived through everything with me, cousin, even during that time though we had talked a little bit at the end of the day, like it wasn't even that much. We have not been there. You've been there with me. And I heard this comment the other day, and I'm not gonna say where or who said it, but I'm sure you guys will know. But they set something down the lines of that I was such a nice girl. I was so nice, and that fame got to me, that fame changed me, that I'm a different personnel and it's the people that surround me that have changed me. Honestly, Cousin, say it how it is, whatever it is that you may think, I want you to tell me. Know what do you think about that? Now? I think sometimes you.
Speaker 2: Need to be more of a bit, you know, because you know, cheeks, You've always been, always looked at people, seeing the good siding people.
Speaker 1: You don't like to.
Speaker 2: Cause problems, you don't like to you know, certain frictions. So I think that sometimes you need a babitch. But no, I don't think fame has gotten to you in any way, shape or form, thing and everybody just because I see you.
Speaker 1: Know you're my cousin.
Speaker 2: I it's thirty six years of you know, even my cousin, I see you the same, you know.
Speaker 1: I really don't feel that I'm saying fame because I don't. I don't I know people know me. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Like when they said that. I was like, what, like, I what happened is that I'm not that that naive yeah, global little girl that I used to be, that you could just manipulate.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was just when I when I heard that the other day, I was like, Okay, well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's fine. No memory is that. It's just I have changed. I have changed in a way of if I'm saying the same person and I'm not really, yeah, I'm not evolving. Yeah, of course I changed. Yes, yeah, I have changed. I'm not the same person I was. I'm more mature. I could say that I'm smarter, I'm wiser. Do you still talk to any of our eccentifics?
Speaker 2: I haven't, cousin, I'm like the uh, the rose, will you know, reach out and say happy birthday here you know, here in there, But to have conversations might have have no for me. My separation of our.
Speaker 1: Family was back in like twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: There was a specific situation that I was just like, and this is something that you had no control over, or that you needed to fix or my other cousins needed to fix. No, this was sort of like the pillars of our family that needed to fix situations and they never got fixed. So I just knew that it was not ever.
Speaker 1: Going to give six. You've always been very good with being a risk backful kind of like you know, which I love.
Speaker 2: And I did stay my peace so too to my the roves and and they want to say, you know, this is not okay or what I feel is I don't agree with certain Yeah this is and how not how our family's supposed to be. And I, you know, never be just. I was not respectful, but I just said my peace, and you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know what I I don't really talk to anyone else other than honestly. I would love to have a better relationship with all my cousins. I I've always said this from the very beginning. You know, I don't want the kids, the cousins to get involved in all this, you know all and that's something that you and I would always say, Yeah, I want us to be different from the elders. You know. I was like, I don't want to find with my cousins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even with your the dynamics with your siblings. I remember you said, I don't want to be like how our our you know my mom is with you know.
Speaker 1: Her siblings. Yeah, you know it's my it's my job as the eldest, and that promise I make to my mom that way, I'm gonna try my best to no job, leave you. I continue to do great job. And you just put the moffuckers in the line that have to do. And you know those ups.
Speaker 2: And downs are always gonna happen. Yeah, and us, we're always gonna fight with our siblings or with their family members. But there's there's a lie. There's a lie. And I feel some people don't don't see those wife they just yep, they don't. They don't respect boundaries. So you know, you know, And one thing I will say about my deal Gus Yo.
Speaker 1: Yo, daddy, I love him, I will say and I'll say this and I've said it many times. And I have to take away anything from anyone else but my deal Gus has been the only uncle since my mom passed eleven years. We're going on twelve years, you guys that he always says me and not I don't have money to give you. You need twenty bucks, give you twenty dollars. I ain't got more than that right now. He says, I got I gotta take care of your dad, Patty, and you know whatever, he's like, but he's there to call me to bring me water free water of his ALCOHOLI water and calls my siblings, checks up on us at least once a week, if not once every two weeks. But he has been consistent that I'm like I we all love him so much because of that, because no matter what, he respects what we're doing. Yeah, he's like, hey me, I heard that. You know this happened, And I don't want to be nosy, but are you good. He's always streaking on this. Yeah. He's a great father.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, my dad. I talked to my dad at least children Candy. It's like so much my mom like I do. I like, this is all carble. Yeah, I love you know, burn up. I didn't have the great relationship with my mom, and you know now it's so much like great or not. And I understand I was a pain the ass and I feel like because I was always like what why are things like this?
Speaker 1: What? You know? My mom always tells me because I end the line. You know.
Speaker 2: I was always like combat even becombatd in that sense and made in school and you know whatever. But I was always like a print of my mom's dads.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that that changed your relationship with your mom after you had kids? Yes, I felt more.
Speaker 2: I understood because, like I said, I feel like I was war between my brother and I was born like the hot headed one like Hi, Like I wasn't out fighting with people and some but I was always like one, why.
Speaker 1: Aren't things is what you would ask questions?
Speaker 2: Yes, And my mom was like, because that's just howly honor. She'd be liked, you didn't understand when you have kids you would challenge her. Yes, And then I had keys and I was like, I know what's talking about, lady.
Speaker 1: I'm very grateful because then he came on the podcast. So Hi, you do this conversation for driving all the way from Long Beach you guys Radical Foss please for Kluma only California. That's where I was born, Guys at Saint Mary's Hospital. But before you go, because if you want to share any socials where people could follow you, or you want to keep that private or whatever you want to do, please tell them about your business on the right so you could find it on Aroma Revolution Nature dot LA for myself. It is the spiritual messenger nice. All right, well, thank you cousin.
Speaker 2: I love you, you wonderful cousin of my soul.
Speaker 1: My wonderful cousin if you if you ever need anyone so they'll uplift you, is my cousin. I swear your messages are the best. I'm like, oh, you make me laugh. You're just You're just, You're just let a sunshine in the world. But thank you guys so much for watching this episode of Cheeky's and Chill. And I'll watch you guys, or you'll watch me on the next one, or listen to me. All right, guys, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Do you need advice on love, relationships, health emails? I'm so excited to share with you that my Cheekys and Chill podcast will have an extra episode drop each week. I'll be answering all your questions. Just leave me a voice message.
Speaker 1: Person.
Speaker 3: All you have to do is go to speak pipe dot com Cheeky's and Chill podcasts and record your questions.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to hear from you.
Speaker 3: This is a production of iHeartRadio and the Microdura podcast Network. Follow us on Instagram at Michael Doura podcasts and follow me Cheeky's That's c h i q u i s. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite podcast, and check us out on YouTube