Speaker 1: Hello, delicious friends, and welcome to Who Did What Now? The history podcast that is not your history class with me, your host Katie Charlwood, History harlot and reader of books. If I sound sick, it's because I am. So. I was in London at the weekend because the Donegal International Rally was in Donegal and typically every year I leave, and so that's.
Speaker 2: What I did.
Speaker 1: So I left doney Goal and I went to London, and I brought the children because they also do not like all the rally stuff because it's loud and all.
Speaker 2: This type of stuff. So we get to London and.
Speaker 1: It's our second day in London at our first sort of notes like or first like fill day, and by the evening time, I have a searing headache that is penetrating from my eyeballs to deep into my skull. Like it felt like it was trying to push my eyeballs out of my head but also crush my nose at the same time. So I was like saying, his headache, I'll get some pain colors after the show. It'll be fine. It was not fine. In the interval, I was holding like a glass coke bottle against my eye because it was the only thing cooling it down. We ended up getting ice cream, so I thought this could work, right, and it temporarily did. Apparently the ice coldness just helped. I don't know, because it pulls the blood from your head down to your stomach. But yeah, I ended up like at the end of the musical, I was gone, Like the kids had to tuck me in, Like I'm talking like that evening I had feet, sweats, confusion, like they made up this little bomb bunk for me and like it's so cute. So like my daughter she puts some water bottle there and they put the bin next to me, and I'm I'm like shaking on this blanket. They have their doneer a, they getting their jommius, they go to bed. They're done right, They're they're ten and eleven. And I yeah, that being said, I saw a Hercules the musical. Why Hercules, you say, Well, my daughter is like looking at the big sort of Gresshian urn on the on the stage and she's like, what's Hercules? And I was like, Oh, it's Hercules. The character's name is Hercules. Like I was like, I try to get you to watch this movie with me one hundred times. You guys didn't want to do it, and she goes, I don't remember that. So yeah, So Hercules was being played by Philippe Verano, whose name I have probably dred, and oh my god, he was amazing, like absolutely amazing. Didn't even occur to me that he was the swing. And here's the thing. It was the kid's first musical and I am.
Speaker 2: So glad it was.
Speaker 1: They caught confetti, they laughed at the side jokes and my boy, oh, well, like he had his ear defenders on and so he was like, we were prepared like for this, We had snacks the whole shebang, like we were good. You know. Well he had this like panda with him as well, for like tactile comfort, and so like he's got this stuffy, plushy motherfucker and he's waving it like at the cast at the at the curtain call.
Speaker 2: It's a curtain call, I know.
Speaker 1: The bit where they all bow at the end, right, I don't know everything. And so he says that, you know, they were like waving back or looking at him and stuff, and I was like, I was too busy trying not to die from pain.
Speaker 2: But it was a really good Joe.
Speaker 1: I didn't know if I was gonna make it through the second half. I did and it was really really good. And also I should know the name of the actress who played Magara, but she may be the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in my life anyway, so oh yeah, So like, my boy was also convinced that like Givender going hm Hercules now that herk Dailey's and Meg like the actors were a real life boyfriend and girlfriend. But I'm like, that's acting, okay.
Speaker 2: But yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, his favorite character was Hades, because of course it was the boy watched Star Wars. I'm dressed as Kylo Wren for two halloweens in a row. Like for someone so full of empathy, he really does like a villain. And in fairness, his sister when she saw Capop Demon Hunters, she didn't want to be a demon hunter. She wanted to be a demon specifically, the demon version of baby Saja, not the K pop boy band Saja boy right no no no, no, no no. She wanted to be the demon version specifically. So I'm not entirely sure what that says about me as a parent. Finally, I got blocked news about me. This is what happened last night. I got blocked by Bernard the Elf on threads because I told him to be a big boy and deal with the consequences of his actions. But I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, Katie, please quidor jibber jabber in fact me, in fact you, I will.
Speaker 2: But first we've got to get.
Speaker 1: Our source on. Our sources are and the band played on on Politics. People and the AIDS Epidemic by Randy Schultz.
Speaker 2: Let the record show.
Speaker 1: History of Act Up New York nineteen eighty seven to nineteen ninety three by Sarah Schulman, The Life and Death of Ryan White by Paul m Renfro, Play Years, A Doctor's Journey through the AIDS Crisis by ross A Slottin. And of course we have articles from The New Yorker, the New York Times, we have the La Times. We have our old favorites, biography dot com and history dot com.
Speaker 2: Io.
Speaker 3: Sitting comfortably good, then let's begin. Those of us who are a little bit older will have at least some knowledge, if not a full recollection of the AIDS crisis. However, the way that we discuss history now this often gets I'm gonna say, side stepped, and so a lot of younger people tend to not know that much about the subject.
Speaker 1: And by that I mean when I mentioned the AIDS crisis, they look at me like a cow looks at an oncoming train. No, l like this is a part of history that changed the entire world. And that's not hyperbole. Now, just for clarification, I'm not gonna be able to cover every single thing here, So before anyone starts bumping their gums about well you forgot about no, I fucking didn't. I have a lot of information to provide and a finite time to say it. Okay, I am going to start, however, talking about EastEnders. Do Do Do Do Do, Do Do Doo. I was going to go into the theme song there, but I chose not to. You're welcome. I don't know if my throat could take it. So my first memory of any sort of understanding of AIDS was in the London based soap opera EastEnders on the BBC. This is where everyone founds out that longtime resident Mark Fowler was HIV positive and Peggy Mitchell, played by the legend Barbara Windsor, shouts like in the pub she's the landlady of the pub of the Queen Vic right, and there's this whole scene and I might not be getting this verbatim, by the way, but she just goes, why you don't get it at home with your family? Yes, I know that is a terrible impression of Barbara Windsor, but so she yells it all across the Queen vic Everyone goes silent, the glasses do that clinky chinky thing, and the camera pans on all these different faces who are just sort of judging and looking, and Mark proclaims that he contracted the infection from his wife, who dies or has died. At this point, I'm not entirely sure because this is all from memory. That being said, the character was a habitual drug user in his teens, and I think the whole point was that he didn't have an exact point of origin, which a lot of people don't, you know, And it was to show that so many different people from different walks of life contract HIV. So the Terence Higgins Trust, which is like the UK's leading HIV and AIDS charity, worked with the production team for the duration of Mark Fowler's story, which was thirteen years and the biggest peak in requests for HIV testing in Britain was seen in January nineteen ninety one when Mark Fowler was diagnosed HIV positive.
Speaker 2: Right, it was like a massive.
Speaker 1: Deal, right, So that's how I learned about it, And it was like a big talking point of sort of.
Speaker 2: TV history for years.
Speaker 1: So that being said, I'm gonna focus across the pond, and I'm going to talk about the AIDE crisis in the US, because the age crisis didn't just happen in America, right. The epidemic was enabled by a series of institutional failures gel surprise, numerous and I do mean numerous organizations. They were responsible for protecting public health and failed to carry out their duties effectively. Like they failed to do their job. As a result, countless people suffered unnecessarily, leaving a legacy of pain and loss that it continues to affect societies across the Western world decades later. And although I'm going to be focusing primarily on the AIDS crisis in the nineteen eighties in the US, well the story starts much earlier, thousands and thousands of miles away and earlier in time in Central Africa. See to understand the whole. Like where the disease started, it is necessary to understand and examine epidomology behind it. Now, scientists cannot be completely, one hundred absolutely certain about every single detail of HIV's emergence. The widely accepted consensus is that the virus cre lost from chimpanzees to humans during the period between the eighteen nineties and the nineteen twenties in what is now known as the Democratic Republic of Congo, which, yes, if you know your history, that timeframe is round about when King Leopold the Second of Belgium tyrannically ruled the Congo under the guise of aid and diplomacy that was in reality a reign of torture and terror. So back to chimpanzees, right, They carried a related virus known as SIV simean immunodeficiency virus, so contact between humans and infected animals happened, probably during hunting and the preparation of bush meat. After a while, the virus adapted to humans, eventually evolving into HIV, which is the virus responsible for it kills the praise men say an animal and does are gone to say whether they want to eat it or fuck it, and sometimes the choice isn't mutually exclusive. I swear like it's I feel like I should be surprised, or but I'm not because hunters are like, I'm gonna eat a monkey now, because bush meat is a weird term, it relates to a few animals, but especially to non human primates, which does feel like it is the closest thing one can get to cannibalism from a legal perspective, so they do believe. Typically it probably transferred to humans as a result or undercooked meat, or through like chimp blood getting into human cuts and winds, etc. Now, again, normally a hunter will be able to fight SIV. But virus is adapt That is why you have to get a different flu vaccine because there are different strains of viruses because they change. Okay, so yeah, viruses adapt, and this one adapted itself to the new host and became known as HIV so HIV one human immunodivision say virus. See there is another strain of that virus, HIV two. Now this is significantly less infectious and far less widespread than HIV one, which is why most people haven't heard of it or know that there are different strains see HIV two originated from a different primate species, the city Mangabey monkey rather than chimpanzees, and the jump to humans probably happened through much the same process HIV one, close contact with infected blood during hunting or butchering. Now, unlike HIV one, which would go on to conquer the globe with I'm going to say alarming efficiency, HIV two remained quite confined to several countries in West Africa. Like HIV one became a pandemic, and HIV two never really made out of the regional part. So the earliest confirmed case of HIV comes from a blood sample collected in nineteen fifty nine from a man living in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo. At the time, nobody knew what they were looking for, and it was only decades later when scientists analyzed the preserved sample that the idea to find the HIV within it, making it the first very viable case on record. Now, I know that you know that this does not mean that HIV suddenly appeared in nineteen fifty nine, that no. See genetic analysis, yeah, we're doing science suggests that it had already been circulating amongst humans for decades by then, right, probably since the early twentieth century, like that turn of the century time. Now, the nineteen fifty nine sample is just the earliest surviving piece of evidence that we have managed to find. Like it's the confirmed case. It's not the patient zero, and we will be getting into patient zero later kind of. Soe now this is important, right, see, because this demolishes one of the most persistent misconceptions about AIDS that it somehow like popped up out of nowhere in nineteen eighties America. But by the time doctors in Los Angeles and New York began noticing clusters of unusual illnesses, HIV had already been silently spreading through human populations for generations.
Speaker 2: The virus was.
Speaker 1: Around for a while, it was all news, but humanity effectively was just late to the party. By nineteen eighty and nineteen eighty one, doctors in places like Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York, et cetera, began noticing something.
Speaker 2: Very odd.
Speaker 1: Right, gay men who had previously been very very healthy, like they're young, they're healthy, they're strong, you know, suddenly they're developing diseases that most doctors really saw outside of patients with severely weakened immune systems, cases of Caposi circoma, a rare cancer that typically affected elderly men from the Mediterranean, old men in the Mediterranean and young men in San Francisco. Feels like a different demographic, but here we are. There were also things like pneumocyitis korenan pneumonia, which started appearing with I'm gonna say alarming frequency because these were illnesses that normally showed up in clusters amongst healthy people in their twenties and their thirties. They would leave purple spots on the skins of sufferers and it was one of the many illnesses that would become the mark of HIV. At first, nobody knew what was causing it. Doctors were seeing the symptoms, but the underlying diseases remained invisible. By the end of nineteen eighty one, roughly two hundred and seventy cases of these unusual illnesses had been reported to the United States, and the majority were amongst gay men. And what made the situation so scary was that these diseases were usually associated with people whose immune systems had already been compromised by conditions such as cancer, organ transplants severe infections. Even seeing them suddenly appear in otherwise healthy adults was like finding a smoke alarm going off in every room of the entire house and nobody could see the fire. Now today we know that that fire was HIV. At the time, however, researchers had no fucking clue what they were dealing with. They knew that something was destroying the immune systems of their patients, they just didn't know what the culprit was. Now this raises another question, how did HIV arrive in the United States in the first place. For many, many years, the blame was unfairly concentrated on a single man, creating one of the most enduring myths of the AIDS epidemic. This man was Getting Duga, a flight attendant from Quebec, Canada see now. Because his job involved constant international travel, and because he appeared in early epidemiological investigations, he was labeled by many people as patient zero, the supposed individual who brought HIV to America. It was a dramatic story, which is usually a warning sign that the story is.
Speaker 2: About to be wrong.
Speaker 1: Duga was openly gay, attractive, sociable. In part of the post sexul revolution culture that emerged in many North American cities during the seventies. He traveled frequently between metor urban centers, and naturally, because he was so charming and amazing, had a large social network. When investigators later mapped connections between early age cases, his name appeared repeatedly. Unfortunately, a misunderstanding turned him from a participant in a scientific study into a public villain. In the research notes, he had been identified as patient O, the O standing for outside California. Somewhere along the line, people read the letter OH as the number zero, and the myth was.
Speaker 2: Born like it is.
Speaker 1: Impressive and terrifying that humanity's ability to turn paperwork into conspiracy, Like it's his skill, and it really should never be underestimated, because people can craft bullshit from anything in reality. Later genetic studies showed that HIV was already circulating in the US before Douga even became ill. The virus had likely entered North America years earlier and was spreading through multiple networks long before anyone had heard the term AIDS. Douga was not the source of the epidemic. He was one of its victims. He was diagnosed with a Caposi circoma around nineteen eighty and eventually died from complications related to AIDS in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: For decades, however, he.
Speaker 1: Carried the reputation of being the man who started the epidemic in America, a reputation that modern research has thoroughly discredited. Like he died of kidney failure as a result of AIDS related complications, he was a victim to a disease, and people pinned. They pinned the blame on him because they want to have someone to blame, and they want to have someone to attack. And the thing is, the real story is much less dramatic and far more troubling. HIV did not arrive because of one reckless individual. It spread quietly through human plant populations. For years, well medicine, public health systems, and government struggled to recognize what was happening. The epidemic was not the work of a single patient zero. It was the result of a virus that had been moving through communities long before anyone knew it existed. See In nineteen eighty two, Gaetan Duga was undergoing chemotherapy for cancer when he was interviewed by the CDC, which is the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention. They asked him questions about his sexual activity, and the CDC at this point started making the connection between HIV AIDS and sexual activity, like they realized it was a sexually transmitted infection. And Douga, he is doing his best to provide all of the information in this study. He wants to help, and he is being honest, and he he estimates that he'd had some seven hundred and fifty partners in the previous few years. And so the CDC gets a list of contacts from his address book because that's a thing people had, and he ends up becoming patient fifty seven. The CDC right, fifty seven, not zero, And on the thirtieth of March nineteen eighty four he died of kidney failure. And of course there was no singular moment when the truth suddenly became clear. The CDC initially tried to correct the emerging narrative, emphasizing that Gates and Duga was not the origin of the outbreak, but by then the media had already found its villain and dug its claws in and public perception is rarely corrected after it has been created, especially not as quickly the idea of patient zero had taken hold and du Gad had it.
Speaker 2: He was the blame game. That was that.
Speaker 1: It would take decades before this false narrative was properly dismantled. Like by twenty sixteen, genetic and epidemiological research had confirmed beyond reasonable doubt that Gates and Duga had not introduced HIV AIDS to North America, and that it had been present in the US long before he was ever diagnosed. Basically, patient zero was never a starting point, but just an early case that was misread, misleveled, and mythologized. And yet the myth stuck because it was simpler and more convenient than reality. By the early nineteen eighties, scientists were beginning to connect a series of otherwise unrelated clinical reports clusters of rare illnesses appearing in young, otherwise healthy men, primarily in these big cities. Okay, they fairly noticed, Oh it's happening over there and over there and over there. And at that time the condition did not have a name. There was no HIV and no AIDS in public language, only this growing awareness that something unusual was happening. Now, the thing about HIV is like people might know the name, but they don't really know anything about it. In most cases, infection begins with a short fluw like illness, occurring two to six weeks after exposure. Symptoms can include fittigue, favor, sore throat, and sometimes a rash. After this brief initial phase, symptoms typically disappear. They go dormant, sometimes for years. This is the clinical latency stage, during which a person may feel entirely healthy while the virus continues to replicate and remain transmissible. The reason the HIV is so effective as a pathogen is precisely this and is this long dormant period. During latency, the virus targets CD four T cells, which are key components of the immune system responsible for coordinating the body's respond to infection. As CD four counts gradually decline, the immune system becomes weaker, leaving the body vulnerable to infections it would normally suppress without any difficulty. AIDS or Acquired immune deficiency syndrome refers to the most advanced stage of the HIV infection. It is diagnosed when CD four T cell levels fall below two hundred cells per of cubic millimeter of blood or when specific opportunistic infections appear, regardless of count. These infections can include neumocitis, pneumonia, toxoplasmosis, candidy isis right, candidy isis thrush okay, and certain cancers such as caposis or coma, which we mentioned earlier. Basically, the immune system becomes so depleted that even minor pathogens can become life threatening. One commonly repeated line puts it bluntly. You do not die from A itself, but from the infections your immune system can no longer control. It is an accurate simplification, it is not a comforting one. Today HIV is a manageable chronic condition thanks to anti retroviral therapy, But in the early eighties there was no treatment, no established name for the syndrome, and no clear understanding of what was causing it. For those first recognized patients, infection was effectively a death sentence. When I was in Toronto, we ended up over in I don't know the probably Toronto's version of the West Village, and we were in this park and they had this monument with all of these names on it. It was these sort of pillars like one after the other, and it was all members of the gay community who had succumbed to HIV and AIDS, and some of the pillars at the end were blank because they knew there.
Speaker 4: Was more to come. And I stopped. I read all the names because history doesn't mean anything without people.
Speaker 2: This is a sidebar.
Speaker 1: Sorry, and.
Speaker 2: I have to I don't know. It's a thing.
Speaker 1: We have an interesting relationship with death in Ireland. We respect the dead, we revere the dead, but we were also honest about the dead, and so honestly, so many people and the first three four rows of those pillars, they were let down by society. They were accused and blamed as if there was something wrong with them for them getting ill. They were the less dead, and it was their community that continued to support them through this. And they deserve to be remembered. They deserve to be considered, and they deserve for you to stop and give them a moment of your time when you see their names. The first widely cited report appeared in June nineteen eighty one in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. It described five young men in Los Angeles diagnosed with neuroscida pneumonia. Two of hume who had already died, all were men who had sex with men, and all showed severely depleted immune function. It was the first official signal that something new and series was emerging, even if no one yet had the language.
Speaker 2: To describe it.
Speaker 1: A second report published in July nineteen ninety one, documented twenty six additional cases, again predominantly amongst gay men, with patients presenting with neumrocidas, pneumonia, and composi sir coma. Over the following years, it became increasingly clear that these were not isolated anomalies, but part of a growing epidemic. Hospitals across the United States began reporting similar cases with disturbing consistency, even though the condition itself still had no official name. In the early stages, the syndrome was referred to in some media and informal discussions as grid grid gay related immune deficiency. The term very briefly appeared in public discourse, including a nineteen eighty two New York Times article. However, it was never adopted into scientific literature. It quickly became clear that the name was both misleading and scientifically unsound. More importantly, it reinforced the dangerous assumption that the disease was confined to gay men. At the time, there was a widespread and deeply damaging misconception that this was a gay disease or even moral judgment expressed in biological form. Now I say misconception, its actual downright bullshit.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 1: Some narratives went even further, framing the illness is some kind of punishment. Now, I know you're surprised, but none of this had any scientific basis, but it reflected the social climate of the early nineteen eighties, when stigma, shock, and lay traveled faster than evidence. As surveillance expanded, it became obvious that the pattern did not fit those assumptions. Cases began to appear in other populations, including hemophiliacs who were infected through contaminated blood products, and hyacian patients who were unfairly and baselessly stigmatized in early reporting. In nineteen eighty three, the CDC outlined what became as the four H risk groups homosexuals, heroin users, hemophiliacs, and hyacians. While intended as early epidemological shorthand, the classification had serious unintended consequences. It reinforced the false impression that the HIV was confined to specific marginalized groups. In reality, these categories reflected patterns of early detection and transmission routes, not exclusivity. The virus itself did not respect identity labels or social boundaries. The consequences were severe. Heighten communities faced discrimination and job loss. Gay men were further stigmatized at a time when stigma had already shaped nearly every aspect of public and private life, and perhaps most critically, many outside these labeled groups concluded incorrectly that they were not at risk. That misunderstanding allowed the virus to spread more widely because public awareness did not catch up with reality as quickly as it should. HIV, as it turned out, did not belong to any group. I belonged to biology. The term AIDS came in wider use around late eighty two, when the CDC adopted it to describe the growing syndrome, a severe immunal deficiency that was being observed across multiple patient groups. Described the outcome rather than the cause, but this stage the cause was still unknown. The breakthrough began to emerge in eighty three, when research teams in Europe and the US identified independently a retrovirus associated with the condition. In Paris, doctor Luke Montaigne and his team at the Pastio Institute investigated samples from patients in early stages of EIDs, which was then sometimes referred to as pre AIDS or arc AIDS related complex. From these samples, they isolated a retrovirus which showed a clear preference for infecting T cells, but particularly the CED four limphocytes. The virus was initially named LAV limphandenopathy associated virus. Although will its role in causing AIDS is not fully established, it was still a strong candidate for the underlying agent. Their findings were published in Science in May eighty three, although at the time the significance of this discovery was not universally recognized and like around the same period, the American researcher doctor Robert Gio and his team were conducting similar investigations, so he identified Gio did what he called HTLV three Human talum potropic virus type three, a retrovirus found in a significant proportion of patients with AIDS or early immune dificiency symptoms. His work, also published in Science in eighty four, strengthened the growing consensus that a retroviral AID was responsible for a time, the scientific community faced an uncomfortable overlap, two different names, two research groups, and what appeared to be the same virus. It would later be confirmed that LAV and HDLV three were in fact the same virus, now known universally as HIV human immuno deficiency virus. In hindsight, this moment marked the transition from speculation to identification. Now the disease still had no cure and treatment options were practically non existent, but the scientific world had finally isolated the agent responsible. What remained was the far harder task catching up with a virus that had already been circulating silently four years. Basically, the French and American teams had isolated the same virus, and they both wanted credit for discovering the virus that they both had. Now this leads to a scientific dispute that was as much about priority as it was discovery.
Speaker 2: Right So, America.
Speaker 1: Argued that their team had demonstrated not only the presence of the virus but its causal role in aids. The Montaigne group, however, pointed out a more cautious phrasing in their original paper the role of the virus and causing aids. They noted remained to be fully established. Basically, one side framed the virus as the confirmed cause and the other explicitly left the question open. This dispute did not entirely fade away. Questions of attribution, research ethics, and priority continued four years, reflecting how high the stakes had become in the race to understand the epidemic. Like Eventually, they're both recognized for their contributions, though in different ways, with the scientific consensus acknowledging that each had played a significant role in identifying and characterizing the virus. In two thousand and eight, Luke Montaigne, alongside Francois Bersinouci, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for the discovery of HIV. Doctor Gaio notably was not included in the prize, a decision that reignited discussion about how scientific credit is assigned in collaborative and competitive research environments.
Speaker 2: But that's another story for another day.
Speaker 1: Basically, discovery wasn't like one single moment, but a contested process unfolding under immense pressure. While scientists debated naming rights and priority, the virus itself continued its work uninterrupted, spreading through populations far faster than the politics of recognition could keep up. How had HIV spread so quickly and why was it so focused within gay communities. Well, part of the problem was the sexual revolution of the nineteen seventies. So behavior and sexuality and relationships had been changing right. Casual sex outside traditional monogamous relationships was becoming more accepted, and sex was spoken about in a way that it had never been before. In terms of both hetero and homosexuality. It became normal ish to have more than one sexual partner. And the eighties came a decade after the Stonewall Riots, which changed the attitudes of LGBTQ plus people nationwide. Pre Stonewall, much of the gay life in the United States operated under enforced and visibility. Part of this as a result of mcartheism, I say, part of quite a lot of this because of McCarthyism, Like probably most of that is because of McCarthyism. So for many people, homosexuality was something to conceal rather than express openly. Marriage to opposite sex partners, long term secrecy and what was politely called double lives were of common survival strategies in a society that was to put it mildly, not particularly welcomed. After a stonewall in nineteen sixty nine, the dynamics shifted dramatically. Queer communities became more visible, politically active, and socially organized. Pride marches replaced silence with public pressure, and in cities like San Francisco and New York, gay culture developed visible neighborhoods, social venues, and community institutions. People were no longer just surviving. They were increasingly living openly, and this visibility marroed socially and politically, and it also meant like something less poetic. Epidemiologically, sexual networks became easier to form, more interconnected, and more visible to both community researchers and later public health officials. Not uniquely so, heterosexual populations also experienced changing norms in the same era, but in certain urban gay mail networks, partner change rates were higher on average, particularly in specific social settings like bars and bathhouses. Right. This is again just a structural observation, although people try to turn this into a moral judgment, and this is where the bollocks comes in. Right. So, there was this massive wave of disinformation basically trying to state that HIV could be transmitted casually through shared food, through kissing, by using the same toilet, or sweating coughing. Even I need this to be clear, it cannot. Transmission requires specific bodily fluids, blood, semen, vaginal fluids, rectal fluids, and breast milk. In other words, it is not a socially contagious virus. It is a biologically specific one. You don't need to be bleaching all your doorknobs. The actual roots of transmission matter because HIVA is not equally efficient in all contexts. One of the highest risk forms of sexual transmission is receptive anal intercourse, and this is due to anatomy. The rectal lining is thinner and more prone to microtears than vaginal tissue, providing easier access to the bloodstream. Estimates vary by studying conditions, but the risk per single act of unprotected receptor of anal sex is significantly higher. Oftenside is roughly an order of magnitude greater than unprotected receptive vaginal intercourse. Now basically, bum tissue tears easier. Like, that's it, there's an easier access rooted now. Condoms did exist by the late seventies and early eighties, but widespread explicit saper sex education tailored to HIV did not yet exist because the virus itself had not been identified. In the earliest years of the epidemic, people were effectively trying to avoid a pathogen that they did not know existed, using tools designed for pregnancy prevention and other known sexually transmitted infections. Now there's a mismatch right there. As for the spread in places like New York and San Francisco, it reflected a combination of dense social networks, high mobility, delay to medical recognition, and a virus that can remain asymptomatic four years as well still being transmissible like that. That's the important part. HIV does not announce itself immediately, which meant and had already spread wildly before anyone realized there was a pattern at all. By the time the pattern became visible, the virus had a head start measured in years, not months, and at that point public health was not dealing with the beginning of an outbreak. It was dealing with the middle of one that it had discovered. There were more bathhouses, gay bars, clubs, and in certain cities, a growing sense that being openly gay was at least possible, if not universally safe. That visibility translated into denser sexual networks and more opportunities for transmission. At the same time, the United States was also in the middle of a major intravenous drug crisis, which provided another efficient route for HIV spread through needles.
Speaker 2: They shared needles.
Speaker 1: By nineteen eighty five, the contrast and outcomes was already stark. Germany had recorded roughly one hundred and seventy AGS related to deaths at this point, and the United States was already approaching seven thousand. And that's the ones that were registered now. Population size explains like part of the gap, but not all of it, and certainly not neatly, And what filled the remaining space was stigma, confusion, and delay. In the early years, HIV AIDS was wildly and incorrectly labeled the gay plague, a term enthusiastically amplified by parts of the media and eagerly adopted by those already inclined to see homosexuality as DV. For some religious groups, the epidemic was framed less as a public health crisis and more as moral accounting punishment delivered by biology.
Speaker 2: On behalf of God.
Speaker 1: The arrival of intravenous drug users, and other groups. As recognized risk categories did little to soften this narrative. It just expanded the list of people. Some were comfortable blaming reality as usual refused to cooperate with moral storytelling. Invints acquired it from mother to child, transmission during pregnancy, birth, or breastfeeding. Heterosexual men and women were infected through sexual contact. Hemophilac contracted HIV through contaminated blood products. HIV did not require identity. It required exposure rich or poor, men or women, straight or gay, young or old, black or white. The virus did not read the cultural commentary. But fear doesn't behave rationally, as we've seen with every other fucking moral panic in existence. When people do not understand a disease, they tend to overgeneralize it, and when they overgeneralize it, they tend to locate it in other people. The social reflex built a wall between effected communities and the wider public. Part protection, part panic, part avoidance, and the consequences they will not abstract. In the eighties, and a's diagnosis often meant immediate social exile alongside medical crisis. Many people lost their jobs once their status became known, which meant a loss of income, insurance, and access to a care in a system already struggling to respond. Public fear translated into real world avoidance. People were austracized not because of what HIV could casually do, but because of what people incorrectly believed it could do casually, And that belief that it could be transmitted to everyday contact persisted four years despite no scientific evidence supporting it. And this is like a feedback loop. Fear produced misinformation. Misinformation reinforced stigma and stigma discourage testing and treatment, and even today, echoes of that period remain. Studies have shown that men who have sex with men can experience higher levels of depression, anxiety, and substance use in context where stigma is severe, along with reduced engagement in healthcare services. Right, it is the stigma. The stigma is an underlying factor in all this. It breeds and compresses the broader lesson is uncomfortable but consistent. HIV spread faster, and not because of who people were, but because of what they did not know and society refused to understand in time because fear filled the information gap. Oh and doesn't sound familiar at all and where fair leads, clarity tends to arrive late, if at all. And I'm gonna talk about Princess Diana for a second. Even though you all know my feeling's honor right, brown clock can still be right twice a day. In nineteen ninety one, Princess Diana made one of the most iconic public gestures of the early AIDS era when she visited the newly opened HIV AIDS ward at London's Middlesex Hospital and shook hands with a patient without wearing gloves. Now, remember, people still thought this could be spread casually. It can't, and Diana was already like properly briefed on transmission routes. So this was an ignorance. This was deliberate right. She knew that she was safe, she knew she had notting to lose. The only thing she could do is be seen as a good person for doing this. So a very simple act, but a very public correction of a persistent myth in an era where people with AIDS were still often avoided.
Speaker 2: It did real cultural works, and.
Speaker 1: She had her continued advocacy through HIV charities, helping sheft public attitudes in the UK. Even if her role like most public figures, was a mix of genuine engagement and careful visibility. Now, the reality for people with AIDS in the nineteen eighties and early nineties was not just medical, it was social exile. Stigma framed the illness as a moral failure rather than a viral infection, and that narrative did damage. So who did the actual day to day support work. A large share came within the LGBTQ communities themselves, particularly from lesbian activists, whose contribution is often underplayed now. The community wasn't perfectly unified by the seventies. There was a real cultural divide between gay men and lesbians around politics, gender roles, priorities. But AIDS changed the equation fast. Gay men were hit earliest and hardest, and formal institutions were slow to respond. In that gap, community networks became survival infrastructure, and lesbians in particular stepped into caregiving, fundraising, and hospital support roles at scale. The crisis didn't erase differences, it just made survival more important. Most of the population became terrified of catching this disease. In shock horror, we realized they weren't willing to care for the gay men to come into the disease en mass. Meanwhile, the hospitals were full of lesbians volunteering their time going to the rooms of AIDS patients to talk to them, feed them, hold them. There were some of the only people willing to treat them as human beings. Many of these men's had been rejected by their families, so many members of the gay community were wasting away in their hospital beds. AIDS was a lonely, isolating illness, and lesbian women provided the kindness and compassion that nobody else would or could. Lesbians were actually one of the lowest risk groups for catching HIV, and it's through their empathy and care that a lot of these people are even remembered. I being told a story about the leathers, so like, there's a big leather community in the gay scene. And the reason like people talk about oh kink of pride when they see leathers and leathers isn't the kink leathers is not that. And the reason the leathers are worn it pride is because the lesbians carried them on a lot of the time when someone was diagnosed in there put into hospital a lot of their items, their lives, everything they'd collected was fucking incinerated. People destroyed it, they burned it. They were again they're afraid of touching it and catching the aids, you know what I mean. And so.
Speaker 2: They seeople loved their leathers and the lesbians are the reason that they managed to care for them and have this pass on.
Speaker 1: So you don't get to have that opinion. You don't get to say that that's not allowed a pride when this is one of the few physical remaining items of an entire generation, generations, even several generations of men whose lives were just wiped out. In ninetee eighty three, sexually active homosexual men were banned from giving blood across America in an effort to prevent HIV from being spread to blood transfusions. This band led to blood reserves across the country severely depleting, and HIV sufferers needed blood to fight the disease, and so Lesbian Blood Drive started popping up. Bands of lesbian women came together to donate blood specifically to men with AIDS. On the sixteenth of July eighty three, the first drive happened and two hundred women showed up. Similar tribes were wearing up all over the country and continued all the way through the eighties and nineties and more. Gay men who survived the epidemics say they were saved physically and mentally by the lesbian community, the scientific and medical communities working overtime to try and fight this disease. But what about everyone else? Now this may shock you, but they were kind of hoping it would just go away. Being queer was such a taboo that people didn't even want to think about queer people existing, let alone help them. And what about the media, Well, it doesn't exactly help by calling AIDS the gay disease. For the first couple of years, disinformation or you know, just shitty journalism led many people to think that it could only affect gay men. And then, of course it was the drug users, which is another group of the less dead. The next finger the Haysi men. So now straight white people.
Speaker 2: Were totally in the clear.
Speaker 1: But no so while talking heads and newspapers turning out bullshit bases dehumanizing victims of the disease as degenerates, it didn't actually inform anyone of any preventative measures that they could take. The stories were mostly sensationalized bullshit. There was no push to tell men to work on laws to help prevent spreading of the disease. They didn't say that anyone was at risk, right, just the promiscuous and the homosexuals, two things that the conservative media definitely did not want to be seen as promoting. And like it wasn't until Rock Hudson, like famous Golden Age of Hollywood star, announced that he was HIV positive, did the media suddenly proclaim, Oh no, no one is free from AIDS.
Speaker 2: Suddenly they cared.
Speaker 1: Right at this time, Rock Hudson was firmly in the closet, so they were like, wh oh, anyone can catch it?
Speaker 2: Oh no, Like it's it's such a whole thing.
Speaker 1: But there was a sharp rise an organized anti gay activism across the United States. Even after a stonewall legal and social progress was uneven by an engine eighty only about two dozen states still criminalized sort of me reflecting how recently these laws had begun to shift rather than disappear. Now, the postal Meal period had seen real momentum in LGBTQ plus rights and visibility. You know, communities were more politically organized, public presence increased, and activists were already openly discussing possibilities like same sex marriage. Ideas at that time still sounded speculative instead of imminent, and then AIDS arrived and the trajectory changed abruptly. It triggered a major backlash. In many parts of the country, existing prejudice was amplified rather than challenged, and a public health panic often merged seamlessly with moral judgment. Political resistance to LGBTQ plus rights intensified, and earlier gains in visibility and acceptance stalled or reversed.
Speaker 2: In some areas.
Speaker 1: It's what had been for a brief period a forward moving rights movement became entangled in a public health crisis that many were quick to interpret through a moral lens and not a medical ones. A virus had arrived in the middle of a culture war, and neither side it in more encouragement to make it worse. Conservative American political organizations sought to mobilize conservative Americans to become politically active, and issues that they thought were important were of course, the issues were the fact against homosexuality. They had to save their children from the immoral gaze, and the AIDS crisis grew, so the moral majority feeling that God was backing them up. Hann Ronald Reagan, the fortieth President of the United States president between eighty one and eighty nine, basically oversaw the whole crisis. The Reagan administration has quite a bit to answer for here, and not just in hindsight. With the benefit of anatly organized timeline. Eighty one, AIDS had been identified as a new and groding medical crisis, eighty two, the CDC was actively investigating it. Eighty three eighty four, the virus responsible had been identified, and yet within roughly three years of the epidemic entering public view, there were already thousands of confirmed cases in the US and thousands of deaths, with many more infections undiagnosed. And the response from the White House, however, was selective silence. Reagan did not publicly address AIDS until eighty five, and at that point, over five thousand the Americans had already died. And this wasn't a situation where the administration was unaware. They just chose not to make it a public priority. Whether it was political caution, cultural discomfort with homosexuality, or fear of alienating conservative voters, the outcome was the same. Federal leadership arrived late to a rapidly escalating crisis. Like one journalist and like in the early eighties, asked questions about AIDS, And it was eighty two, and he asked the Press secretary about the CDC's report, And the response was essentially non response, deflection, minimization, and at times openly dismissal.
Speaker 2: Like this gay plague.
Speaker 1: This framing of it was still common enough in public discourse that it shaped how seriously the questions were taken. By eighty four, it was asked for the president would take steps to restrict access to food service or military rules for people with AIDS, referencing public health presidents like typhoid controls. The question itself reflected the confusion of the era, mixing legitimate containment concerns with misunderstanding about transmission, but at least it acknowledged, like the scale you know. The Press secretary's reply, again was evasive, including a drinking suggestion that the journalist asking the questions might want to get himself tested. Now, this is revealing, not just the fact that this is humor in tone. A serious public health crisis was being discussed in a room where laughter was still an acceptable reaction like the journalist, which is interesting was actually I think it was consolving.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 1: Opposed to gay rights, which is like why he's like asking all these questions about it and why he wants the government to comment on it. But they were just like oh ho ho ho, watch out get tested, Like it's not just a political delay, Like it's an institutional delay at scale any fast moving epidemic, and that gap mattered. Now. Allegedly, Ronald Reagan and his personal life was not homophobic, and because he was like big, super cool friend of Rock Hudson, like he didn't want to like publicly condone, you know, civil rights for the LGBTQ community, but like privately he's like whatever you do in your bedroom is what you do. And it's like it's not just about sex, man, but nothing there, you know there, But listen, listen, Ronald Reagan had gay friends and he was the first president. And like he's promoting like abstinence only education, which is again bullshit, Like he doesn't even mention AIDS until eighty five and it's in a passing response to a question at a press conference, and he's just like family values. The next year in abstinence is right, like that's it right. By the late eighties, eight had moved from an ignored crisis to an unavoidable one. In ninety, the former President Reagan probably reflected on the epidemic following the death of Ryan White, a teenage hemophiliac from Indiana who had become one of the most visible faces of HIV AIDS in the United States. Ryan White contracted HIV from a contaminated blood transfusion and was barred from attending school in his community due to fear and misinformation about transmission. After his death in April nineteen ninety, Reagan stated that society owed it to Ryan to make sure that the fear and ignorance that chased him from his home in school will be eliminated, like this kid got HIV from a blood transfusion, and teachers and parents protested about having this child.
Speaker 2: In their class.
Speaker 1: Now. Ryan White never wanted to be a poster boy.
Speaker 2: He hated the effect that he.
Speaker 1: Was labeled the innocent victim because it implied that others were somehow guilty. He says that he was just like everyone else with AIDS, no matter how he got it. In his case, helped chief public perception and even prompted support from communities that had themselves been heavily affected by the epidemic, but it also highlighted the uncomfortable truth public empathy was often shaped less by medical facts than perceived similarity. The disease wasn't understood by the general public, like imagine your kid has a disease and it's not contagious, right, not in that environment, and the teachers are worried about.
Speaker 2: Catching it, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: So after he passed away In April nineteen ninety, Congress passed the Ryan White Care Act, which I think to this day is still the largest fairly funded HIV AIDS assistance program in the United States. It continues to provide treatment support for low income and insured people living with HIV. At the same time, grassroots activism remained essential. From the early eighties onwards, Queer organizations and allied groups had already begun building networks for education, save for sex outreach and mutual aid, because waiting for official responses was simply not an option. If anything, the epidemic made it brutally clear the communities often had to be their own first responders. In the mid eighties, it was clear the HIV AIDS was not just a medical crisis, it was a social one. With paperwork, landlords refused to rent people with HIV, employers quietly and sometimes not so quietly, pushed them out. Insurance didn't always cover care, and in the absence of strong institutional support, activists end up doing everything the system was supposed to do.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: One of the most powerful examples, I think is the Aid's Memorial Quilt. It was conceived in eighty five but active Cleve Jones as a way to remember friends who had died from AIDS. The idea was simple and devastating. One panel, one life name, stitched into fabric, because official records and polite society were not doing enough remembering on their own. It began with a list of forty names, and even that number sounds small until you remember it was just personal loss, not national statistics. Forty people gone from one activist's immediate world alone. The quilt began growing in parallel with public demonstrations, including the nineteen eighty seven March on Washington for Lesbian gay rights. Early panels were displayed in San Francisco, including a public hanging on City Hall's balcony during Gay Freedom day, roughly two hundred thousand people gathered an information both nearby offered instructions so other could make their own panels. Grief, as it turns out, is scalable. By the time it was displayed in Washington, it contained around one thousand, nine hundred and twenty panels. Every name was read aloud while crowd stood listening and crying. It was part memorial, part protest, part attempt to make the numbers feel like people again. The project kept expanding. By nineteen eighty eight, it toured twenty US cities in just four months. Families, especially mothers, would arrive with new panels sown for sons and.
Speaker 2: Daughters they had lost.
Speaker 1: Within a year, it had grown to eight thousand panels. Today it includes more than forty eight thousand names and ways and estimated fifty four tons. It remains one of the largest community memorials ever created a physical record of an epidemic that haffished show systems were slow to fully acknowledge, and it's still growing. In the late nineteen eighties, Truman options were still extremely limited. Doctors could manage opportunistic infections and ease symptoms, but there was no cure. HIV infection was for most patients at the time still effectively terminal. Then came azt zadoviurine zeroviurine one of those. It was first developed in the sixties as a cancer drug, later repurposed in the eighties when researchers realized it could inhibit HIV replication. On paper, it was a breakthrough. In practice, it was complicated. Azat was rushed through clinical trials under intense pressure. The standard long term testing process was shortened significantly due to the urgency of the epidemic. Earlier results suggested, which is mortality entreated patients compared to placebo groups, leading to ethical concerns about continuing to withhold the drug. The trail was halted early and as t was made widely available. Side effects, however, were severe nausea, headaches, gastro intestinal distress, and in some cases bone marrow suppression requiring blood transfusions. It was not subtle medicine. It was closer to control toxicity with a hoped for benefit, and even the data was messy. Patients were often receiving multiple treatments from different providers, making outcomes harder to attribute cleanly. Some even shared or pulled medication to ensure everyone had access, which, while understandable, didn't exactly improve the integrity of the study. Design still eased marked the beginning of anti retrovile therapy, not a victory line, but at least the first moment with the medical response shipped from purely reactive care to something resembling intervention. On March nineteenth, nineteen eighty seven, AZT went on sale and immediately introduced itself as the most expensive prescription drug in history at the time, around eight thousand dollars a year per patient, which today would sit well over what seventeen thousand dollars for a life saving medication. It also doubled as a masterclass and how quickly urgent medical breakthrough can become. Who exactly can afford to stay alive?
Speaker 2: Which is fucking bullshit.
Speaker 1: No, I can't afford to lose my voice. In the US, many people with HIV AIDS were already marginalized, gay men, intravenous drug users, sex workers, and others already sitting on the edges of healthcare access, so it was not exactly a fair playing field, and even calling it a market feels generous when the entry fee is survival like whatas suggested, drug companies stood to make hundreds of millions in profit from AZT within a year. Now, depending on your temperament, that's either innovation funding itself or healthcare discovering capitalism in real time.
Speaker 2: Get fucked.
Speaker 1: Access problems predictably followed. A black market emerged almost immediately, because desperation tends to ignore law. Everyone wanted the miracle drug, and the only issue is it wasn't really miraculous. Early optimism faded fast. ACT initially showed improvements in T cell counts. Later evidence suggests that at high early dosing schedules famously four hundred mg every four hours, toxicity became a serious problem, bone marrow suppression, severe side effects, and in some cases overall worsening health meant the drug's promise did not neatly match its early hype. Eventual dosages were revised, and EASYT was later used in combination therapies, but not before a lot of damage and disillusionment had already accumulated. By the nineties, things began to shift slowly. Public awareness increased, stigma stated to listen, not disappear, listen, and governments began investing more seriously in research and prevention. Condomnious entered public health messaging openly, which seems obvious now but was once treated like controversial content. Abstinence only approaches were still floated despite consistently underwhelming results in.
Speaker 2: The real world.
Speaker 1: It doesn't fucking work. It doesn't work like the studies.
Speaker 2: The evidence is.
Speaker 1: There, it doesn't fucking work like I don't know how many ways I can say this before people understand abstinence only education, abstinence only values doesn't fucking work. High profile deaths also garnered attention. So you have got like Freddie Mercury, Anthony Perkins, liberace like public figures whose illnesses made denial harder to maintain, and infection rates eventually began to stabilize in some regions, though globally the crisis it's far from over. Policy responses were mixed. In many places, HIV positive individuals faced legal restrictions around employment and healthcare, blood donation, immigration, and travel. Some measures were grounded in legitimate safety concerns like blood donation. Others reflected stigma addressed up as regulation, and the distinction was not awfully maintained, and.
Speaker 2: The skill of laws.
Speaker 1: Like we always want to compress it intonate figures, and there was always a way of trying to make it analytical, but that's not how the world works entire Friendship groups were white out communities describe years where funerals were not occasional events, but there was like several per calendar months, one after another, week after a week. It wasn't just mortality, it was repetition. Hint. Today HIV is no longer the automatic death sentence it was in the eighties. In the US, over a million people were living undiagnosed with HIV by the late twenty tens, with a significant portion of infections still undiagnosed. Globally, worldwide, tens of millions still live with HIV, with around one point seven million new infections.
Speaker 3: What was it.
Speaker 2: In twenty eighteen?
Speaker 1: I think awareness has improved. Roughly four fifths people living with HIV globally know their status, but gaps remain. Sub Saharan Africa has carried a disproportionate burden of the epidemic, especially in the early two thousands, shooed by a mix of healthcare and equality, delayed policy responses, and stigma. Some of it aerially familiar to early Western responses, but the key shift in modern treatment is anti retroviral therapy. HIV is still not cured, but it is now medically manageable. With consistent treatment, many people achieve and undetectable viral lot, and that word matters. Undetectable means the virus is so suppressed it cannot be transmitted sexually. The idea undetectable equals untransmirable has fundamentally changed both prognosis and public perception. Treatment isn't a RaSE HIV, but it can reduce it to a level which no longer defines a person's health or their.
Speaker 2: Risk to others. It's not a finish line medication.
Speaker 1: Adhering still matters, Monitoring still matters, and access still matters. But compared to the nineteen eighties, when diagnosis was effectively a countdown to your death, the difference is night and day, or science eventually caught up. It just took longer than the virus did. Today, HIV usually involves a combination of drugs, often called a cocktail. The formal name is highly active anti retroviral therapy. Today, HIV treatment usually involves a combination of drugs a cocktail. The target of virus in different stages of its life cycle. The formal name for this is highly active antiretroviral therapy or HEART, which, despite sounding like something order any very intense pharmacy, has one of the biggest medical turning points over the modern era. It's not a one size fits all system. People respond differently and finding the right combination can take time. But you don't need to eliminate the virus to live a normal life with it. Many people on treatment maintain an undetectable viral load. It's controlled, not gone, and that's not optimism, it's evidence based public health. If you're undetectable and stale treatment, you cannot sexually transmit HIV, and life expectancy for someone diagnosed today with access to treatment and consistent care can be close to that of general population. Like HIV no longer progresses to AIDS. In most cases, where treatment is started and maintained properly, it is shifted from a fatal diagnosis to a chronic, manageable condition. It is still serious, it is still real, but is no longer the automatic endpoint it once was. Now there are also rare documented cases of apparent cures or long term emission following specialized procedures like stem cell transplants, but these are exceptional, medically complex, and not widely applicable. In other words, science has opened the door, it's not kicked it down, and even so precautions still matter. Undetectable status only applies when treatment is consistent, and it does not predict against other sectry transmitted infections. Condoms remain important, and so does regular testing for anyone sexually active, especially with multiple partners. Contraception prevents pregnancy, it does not prevent infections, a distinction that for some reason still needs a reading. Testing access varies by countries. In the UK, sexual health clinics offer free testing and at home kits that are available through improved services, allowing people to test privately and receive results remotely. In Ireland you can actually send away for a test. You can send away for a private test and you do all the bits at home, you seal it up, you post it away and they give your results completely free sexual health testing. The point is simple, testing exists and avoiding it doesn't make risk disappear. So pre exposure profile ACCESS or PREP is another major prevention tool. It is a medication taken by HIV negative individuals. Before exposure to significantly reduce the risk of infection. When it is taken correctly, it produces the risk of sexual transmission by over ninety percent, even more when combined with condom use. It is highly effective, but again only protects against HIV, not other infections. Now, modern HIV treatment is one of those rare cases where medicine actually did the thing it keeps promising and the press releases. It turned a once fatal diagnosis into something people live.
Speaker 2: With long term.
Speaker 1: It's not cured in the Hollywood sense, but controlled enough that the virus mostly minds its own business.
Speaker 2: A few mind dules.
Speaker 1: At the extreme end of treatment, let's talk about stem cell transplantation, the closest thing. HIV medicine has two boss level intervention, which not subtle. First, the patient's immune system is wiped out using chemotherapy, which is already a cheerful start, then replaced with donor stem cells that then rebuild a new immune system from scratch. In a handful of cases, this has led to long term HIV remission. The trick originally was that some donors carried a rare mutation called c c R five Delta three two. It's kind of like removing the virus's favorite entry door into cells and sort of welding it shut. No entry point, no infection pathway, no problem, least in theory, and this is what happened in landmark cases like the Berlin patient where a stem cell transplant performed for cancer just happened to also not KHIV into remission. Later cases sometimes referred to as in like the circles as Geneva patient and second Berlin patient suggested something even more interesting. Remission might still be possible even when the genetic setup isn't perfectly textbook. In other words, nature occasionally improves that. Being said, this is not like a treatment plan is the last resort medical gamble with a very expensive ticket and serious risks chemotherapy toxicity, immune collapse, graft versus host disease, and all the other charming features of rebooting a human immune system from scratch. It is only done when someone already needs a stem cell transplant for something like cancer. HIV remission, when it happens is essentially the universe.
Speaker 2: Thrown in a bonus round for you.
Speaker 1: For everyone else, the actual workers of HIV is far less dramatic and far more effective, and that is your anti retroviral therapy. People live normal lifespans, go to work, argue IT bills, and generally do everything except die from HIV, And like it's still nineteen eighty five, scientists are still chasing a functional cure, basically trying to get to a point where the virus is controlled without lifelong medication. Now the ideas on the table are very very twenty first century. Gene editing, which is like crisp perstel attempts to disable HIV's ability to integrate into cells, and you've got engineer immune cells, like CRT therapies, bored from CANC treatment, neutralizing antibodies that tried to cover every viral infection HIV can throw out, and vaccine research that has been like five to ten years away for about the.
Speaker 2: Last twenty years now.
Speaker 1: None of these are routine treatments yet most are still in trials, in early studies, or like the scientific equivalent of don't try this at home. So the situation is now oddly split. On one side, we already have treatments so effective the HIV can be medically invisible and non transmissible with adherents. On the other, researchers are still trying to see if they can go one step further and actually remove it entirely. We're not cre achieved yet, but we're also very far from the era where diagnosis was just a down with paperwork.
Speaker 2: And that is.
Speaker 1: Where I will leave you today. That is the nineteen eighties Eights Crisis.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things I wanted to share.
Speaker 1: I know it's a very dense, information dense episode, and I understand that it's not the most joyful thing, but I think the fact that we're here and people are still trying, we're still trying to improve the lives of people with HIV, We're trying to reduce the transmission of it. Like there were so many positive aspects that are coming out now, and I know it doesn't help everyone who suffered before, but the fact that we are moving forward, the fact that it's no longer a death sentence, it's it's something, and I know I've been trying to do it like relatively jolly stuff for pride because the world is on fire and everything's terrible, but here.
Speaker 2: We are the AIDS crisis, and with that.
Speaker 1: It is recommendation time for reading Disaster Gate Detective Agency by lev A C. Rosen for listening Kelly Minogue spinning around as a banger and I'll hear nothing against it. And for watching You Know What The Fall. I've recommended it before, I'll recommend it again Late Pace. It's so beautiful and it is probably one of the most visually beautiful movies.
Speaker 2: I have ever seen in my life.
Speaker 1: So go watch that and I will chat to you next time. Adios. Au revoir of Way to Say My Friends Bye Bye,