Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: I Am all In with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast Everybody.
Speaker 1: Scott Patterson Pop Culture, season five, episode sixteen, So good Talk. Laurel I on the phone with Rory telling her about the mailman's shorts. Lorele. It's the Reno nine short shorts, and I gotta tell you if there was ever ever a piece of wardrobe and a television series that was the funniest thing that maybe that's ever been on television with that guy. Disturbing Ooh Disturbing. Reno N one one is American comedy television series that aired from two thousand and three to two thousand and nine on Comedy Central. It was absolute genius. It was a mockumentary style parody of law enforcement documentary shows, specifically Cops. Lore lies comparing the mailman shorts to the short shorts worn character Lieutenant Jim Dangle.
Speaker 3: Jim Dangle, Oh God, Daniell you go.
Speaker 4: Luke kicks out a customer and yells at all the diners.
Speaker 3: Zach says, his eyes red.
Speaker 4: Like the fires of Mortar and jr. Otoken's fictional world of Middle Earth. Mortar is the realm and the base of the evil surin Mount Doom, a volcano and mortar was the goal of the Fellowship of the Ring and the quest to destroy the One Ring. Zach is saying, lucas so angry, you can see the fire in his eyes.
Speaker 3: It's good lines, I'll go.
Speaker 1: Suki is on so run.
Speaker 5: Suki is asking Laura about future reservations book as she's making a plan for when she will be out because she's having a baby. Suki says, no, not right now, but eventually. And when I do, I'll have to have all the menus made out and food order put in and a backup plan in case there's a bad tomato crop or if Oprah decides to get mad at beef again. And I remember this so well. So in nineteen ninety six and April of nineteen ninety six, Oprah featured a show about dangerous food after the British government announced ten of its citizens died by eating beef from cowslick with mad cow. Remember, everybody was like all in a dither or over mad cow disease, and it was like a whole thing. During the show, Oprah made the statement, has stopped me cold from eating another burger? And then I think, like the meat industry like sued her, and this was how she met doctor Phil. I think maybe I might be like wrong, but I think I think doctor Phil might have like come and helped her. So tensions between Oprah and the cattle industry came to a head in December nineteen ninety seven, when a group of executives filed a twelve million dollar lawsuit against Oprah, blaming her for millions in lost business as a result of statements about beef they believed were false and defamatory. Oprah won the case, And I don't want to speak out of school, but I think this is how she met doctor Phil.
Speaker 4: Imagine just being like having tension with the cattle industry.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 3: Can you imagine? I know it's so scary.
Speaker 5: We say something on this podcast and suddenly the cattle industry is coming after us.
Speaker 3: I can't. I wouldn't even know what to do. I love hamburgers. I'll eat one now.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, it's like all.
Speaker 3: Those types of hamburgers.
Speaker 5: Now that Luke's back with Lurlai, I'll even eat his hamburgers again.
Speaker 3: I know Rory got one bad one.
Speaker 1: But it's just it wasn't the beef so that was a luke fluke. Sorry, Urah, all right.
Speaker 6: Laurli is asking Suki for leftovers to have fancy food with her movies since she isn't going to Friday night dinner. Laura, I said I Netflix saw three of stars Bourne's Suki, says Janet, Judy and Babs.
Speaker 5: So Judy Garland, Barbara streisand Janet, this is the one I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Sure you'll tell me, Tara, I'm sure you'll tell me. I will.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 6: Star Is Born is a nineteen seventy six American musical romantic drama film starring Barbara streisand and Is Barbara Streysan as an unknown singer and Chris Christofferson as an established rock and roll star who fell in love only to find her career sending while he goes into decline.
Speaker 3: And not to film. But if it were today, she would have had to add Gaga, Am I right? Yeah? Yes, yeah.
Speaker 6: So. The film is a remake of the nineteen thirty seven original with Janet Gaynor and Frederick Marsh, notably adapted in nineteen fifty four as a musical starring Judy Garlice and James Mason, and the fourth remake was released in twenty eighteen with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.
Speaker 1: I'm on the well.
Speaker 3: This movie had four versions, really good singing, Damnelle, thank you, thank you, do it again? Can you do it a little more?
Speaker 4: I need to be joined by at least a backup locals.
Speaker 1: All right, go ahead, God, we'll give you the backup. Goh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's high, it's very hot, and.
Speaker 4: I'm on the deep man.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good.
Speaker 1: We should it's a good thing. We're recording that. We can put it on a track. Rory asked for.
Speaker 3: Laura Cooper's like, how do I get those people?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what he's doing. Sure. Rory asked for Laura I to give her a hand with her laundry, and Laura l like claps. Rory, Okay, Bob Hope's clapping in heaven, but I'm not. Bob Hope was an American comedian, actor, entertainer, and producer with a career that spanned nearly eighty years and achievements of how do you have a career that spans nearly eighty years?
Speaker 3: Seriously serious?
Speaker 1: I guess, I guess. He started as a small child, He started.
Speaker 3: As a teenager and went to a hundred or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did, didn't he. Yeah, he was so famous for so long. It was about Bob Hope.
Speaker 3: I think of Palm Springs. Was Bob Hope, right, well.
Speaker 1: Bob Hope. Yeah. I mean Sinatra was big, but but it was Bob Hope.
Speaker 5: You know, like Tara's age is sort of the last age that will even know Bob Hope.
Speaker 3: Like my nieces would be like, I don't know who that is.
Speaker 1: You know who's today's Bob Hope is? Who Ryan Seacrest, Oh, that's so nice of you. But it's the truth, isn't.
Speaker 3: It thrilled he'd be real thrilled to hear that.
Speaker 1: But that's the truth. I mean he's everywhere, he does everything, he has, you know, the sterling reputation. Yeah, just like Bob Hope. Bob Hope was all positive, positive, positive anyway. Eighty years and achievements in burlesqued network, radio, television, and USO tours. Bob Hope died in two thousand and three, two years before this episode aired. Achievements in burlesque, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 5: Throwing me off, but okay, yeah on the page.
Speaker 1: Was he a fire eater in between acts? Who knows the.
Speaker 3: Last industry doesn't come after us, but.
Speaker 4: The National Association of BoA's.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that's how he got his name. Hope to get out of burlesque. Rory is saying Bob Hope would be proud of lauralized joke of clapping rather than lending a helping hand, right.
Speaker 5: Because it's give me a hand right instead of Lroy's laundry. Yes, Lorelei suggests that Suki and uh Lorelei that they go dancing, Suki dancing.
Speaker 3: Yes, a brick how so?
Speaker 5: Rick House is a song from the Commodores nineteen seventy seven self titled album. The single peaked at number five in the United States. Those that do not know, Lionel Ritchie was a member of the Commodores and he still performs this song in his tours.
Speaker 3: Seen him many times live, probably twenty times, and he sings.
Speaker 1: A brick out right?
Speaker 3: Wait is Lionel.
Speaker 5: Richie stated that the song's title is a play on the expression built like a brick ooh bleep house, referring to a strongly built woman.
Speaker 3: Oh my, that took a turn. I wasn't expecting. Nobody judged me. I read that. I read that cold off the page.
Speaker 5: You didn't know that, no, because I know he says twenty four thirty four thirty six or whatever he says, he gives like the measurements.
Speaker 1: You said, twenty four thirty four thirty six. That's not a brick what is? What are the measurements it would be?
Speaker 3: It is twenty.
Speaker 1: Four thirty six, twenty fourth thirty six.
Speaker 3: Now it's thirty six twenty four thirty six.
Speaker 1: Let's get our numbers straight here.
Speaker 4: Look okay it is thirty six twenty four thirty six. Oh what a winning hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, sorry, guys, I thatst up the numbers. I'm a brick okay, who's.
Speaker 1: Maybe you got?
Speaker 3: I'm not a brick up.
Speaker 4: Rory is shocked at how bad the berker from Hoos is.
Speaker 3: I'm definitely a brickhouse right now, so I'll tell you that. I think you're thirty six thirty six thirty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just.
Speaker 4: I have a briakhouse for two, so I'll take it, okay, next to it. Harry is shocked at how bad the burger from Luke's is, and Lane tells her he's been off his game lately. Rory says, off his game it's like Tiger Woods made this thing tight. Tiger woods career hit a slump in two thousand and four, which was a year before this air. He did not win a major, a major in two thousand and three or two thousand and four. In September two thousand and four, I'm going to say his VJJ sing VJ Saning overtook Woods in the Official World of Golf rankings, ending Woods's record streak of five years and four weeks at number one.
Speaker 5: Tiger Woods has had many ups and downs in his career. But did any of you see Steph Curry's hole in one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was so cool.
Speaker 4: That was amazing, Like how cool to be an athlete, like so good in basketball and golf, Like I know, he was insane.
Speaker 3: It was insane.
Speaker 1: He's he's pretty good at golf. He's not great at golf, he's pretty good.
Speaker 3: The hole in one was pretty engineering. Have you had a hole in one?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: In the last two weeks, I've come very very close about three times.
Speaker 3: Close only counts in horseshoes.
Speaker 1: Hand grenades. I get it. I was not Steph Curry like running down the fairway, slap the flag. But that looks like a fun, fun event to be.
Speaker 5: It's a great I've been to that golf tournament many times. Yeah, it's really fun. And people take their boats, so they go to the tournament and they watch the golf from their boats. It's like crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that Edgewood resort and it's like so pretty.
Speaker 3: It's like a golf on Lake Tahoe Golf resort right on the lake.
Speaker 1: I think I am all in should have a presence there next year.
Speaker 3: I'm not mad at that idea.
Speaker 1: I think it's a great idea. That's a great weekend.
Speaker 3: I agree, it is very fun.
Speaker 1: And I'm getting my game together and by the time next year rolls around, I'm going to be able to sink a couple of holes in one.
Speaker 3: I'll believe it when I see it.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Elaine is complimenting the pasta Zach made for dinner. Zach says, I threw some up against the wall to tell if it was done. Made a shape like Peter Gabriel's big bloated head is still there if you want to see it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is literally Peter Gabriel is a genius.
Speaker 3: Totally geez.
Speaker 1: I just heard a song on it just sort of song it has on the radio. He's fantastic?
Speaker 3: Is he I'm a sledge hammer? Was that him? Is in your eyes? Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is mind blowing?
Speaker 3: Iconic, iconic, gosh so.
Speaker 6: Peter Gabriel is a British musician who is the lead singer of the rock band Genesis before embarking on a successful career as a solo artist. He was known for the intelligence and depth of his lyrics and for his commitment to various political causes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So Rory is trying to comfort Lane. Amy read this, please.
Speaker 5: Be happy to So Laura is trying to comfort Lane when Lane is upset that her mother's rule of no sex before marriage has stuck with her. This is one of my favorite pop culture references in this whole show. A lot of people wait until they're married to have sex.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: Jessica Simpson and Donna from nine oh two to one oh So. Jessica Simpson was extremely open about her decision to remain a virgin until she was married. Jessica married ninety Degrees singer Nick Lache in two thousand and two. Donna Martin was a fictional character on the TV series Beverly Hills nine o two one Oh played by Torre Spelling. Donna lost her virginity to boyfriend David played by Brian Austin Green in season seven. However, Donna and David didn't marry until the series finale three years later, so Lane's reference is incorrect. Although Donna Martin was very famous for being a virgin and staying a virgin, and we recently learned that it was Aaron Spelling who really wanted his daughter Tory to be a virgin as the character Donna, so her dad really wrote, you know, was influential in that being how that character also is a dad but existed.
Speaker 4: Who and your daughter's working for you on a show?
Speaker 3: Yep, you got to play the virgin exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: So I thought this episode had phenomenal pop culture references, like almost every single one, Like sometimes we have so many that are so obscure, and I have to say, these are out of ten brick houses for me on this my favorite pop culture probably of the whole run.
Speaker 3: I agree with you.
Speaker 1: This is good friction. Next Friction, Next week, episode seventeen season fuck boy, this is flying by? How do we know?
Speaker 3: I'm actually nervous.
Speaker 5: I have some ideas on how we're going to slow it down, I know, because I don't want to be done in a year.
Speaker 3: That would be so sad.
Speaker 5: Oh no, that would be so sad, so for everyone, because I really.
Speaker 3: Want to watch them movies. No you don't, Yeah you do. The movies are good. I really want to watch the movies.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna say that after Yeah, you're not watch the movies.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: There's like three scenes in the movies I like, but the rest I'm like.
Speaker 6: Wait, really, I actually enjoyed all of them.
Speaker 3: What well, I loved all of them. Save it for a year from now, Tara. I mean, yeah, there.
Speaker 6: Were things I didn't agree with, but I enjoyed them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Anyway, we've got we've got still, we've got some more. Five, six, then seven is gonna be controversial because there's no Amy and Dan in seven.
Speaker 3: So we've got a quite a road ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe we'll talk about the craft service. We'll do a craft service segment, because first of all, still really good.
Speaker 3: I'm not mad at that, yeah, man at that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, all right, kids.
Speaker 3: A good job, see you all next week.
Speaker 1: We're rolling out of here. Uh. I gotta go buy flowers and a gift.
Speaker 3: For what is it your wife's birthday?
Speaker 1: It is, And we're going to dinner. We're going to a fancy dinner.
Speaker 5: Oh will you be serving flat coke and spaghetti.
Speaker 1: And I will be closing the deal.
Speaker 7: Yes, all the best best fans on the planet.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you guys once a year and you know you need to climb in the window and say you like that was hard.
Speaker 4: Bye, So good time, guys, All right, next time.
Speaker 1: Bye, Hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.