Speaker 1: Maybe you have seen Pamela Anderson in her Netflix documentary last year. Maybe you saw her in her recent feature film, The Last Showgirl, which won her a Golden Globe nomination. Or maybe you've seen her new cookbook, her first book project. Because lately, Pamela Anderson has been everywhere. Elle Magazine asked me to interview pam for their February digital issue. We had a great time getting to know each other better, and I wanted to share our conversation with you.
Speaker 2: Please enjoy. Hi, Hi, Nice to meet you in person.
Speaker 3: Nice to meet you in parson. I'm so excited. I thought this would just be kind of random but kind of perfect.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it is. It's very exciting for me. I got out at four am this morning to watch your amazing performance in The Last Showgirl. Well, thank you and uh and it made me very sad, but it is. It's sad, but it was very very well done.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, congratulations, thank you, and I'm I'm glad you're that you're not the downtrodden woman in the in the film. It's just it's like crazy and Jamie the Curtis, she did such an amazing job as usual.
Speaker 4: She's so much fun. I mean, she was just like such a champion for women too. She just took me by the shoulders and she said, I did this movie for you.
Speaker 3: I thought, you know, it's such a woman's woman.
Speaker 4: She's been there, she's reinvented herself time and again. And I think she saw bet in me that you know, I was wanting to do the same thing and really support me, which was, you know, incredible. I'm just so happy I got to do this.
Speaker 2: And the fact that it's congratulations on the Golden Globe, uh nomination. And I don't think he got an Oscar today though I.
Speaker 4: Was watching Oh no, no nomination for the Oscar, but I mean I couldn't even imagine that. I mean, I did get a SAG nomination, which is great, which is really exciting. You know, all of this is just unexpected exciting. I always say the win is in the work. I mean, I just got to do something I really love and really, you know, I needed to do that for my soul.
Speaker 2: So how long did it take to make that film?
Speaker 3: We shot in eighteen days?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, So that's amazing.
Speaker 4: It's impossible about me, But you know, the impossible is what it so it was almost in real time.
Speaker 2: It's like it's according to the Yeah, amazing. And where you shoot it? Where was that?
Speaker 4: Well, we shot it in Las Vegas, and we shot it at the Rio, and we shot it backstage and really in real backstage quarters, those really tiny, you know spaces, and we had to get out of there at a certain time because of the show, like that underwater circus or something.
Speaker 3: We had to put everything back.
Speaker 2: The start is so lay oh something, Oh the old one and those tall stairs. I was feeling so sorry for all the girls climbing up those stairs.
Speaker 4: Good for your legs, but boy, oh boy, it's with fifty pounds backpacks on. I mean a lot of those those costumes were so heavy. I mean all those rhinestones they weigh something. And then we had the backpack and the headdresses and you know, and the stairs.
Speaker 3: Coming downstairs is harder than going upstairs.
Speaker 2: How did the role actually come about?
Speaker 4: The role came about, well, I the script was sent to an old agent and he turned it down. And I've talked about that, and I my son produced the documentary that he made.
Speaker 3: He made a documentary, and.
Speaker 4: Gea knew that he produced that, so she got him the script, knowing that I hadn't read it if it was turned down within a new hour, and I read it fell in love with it. I could hear the voice in my head, I could see how to play here, all the layers and nuances. I felt like it was already in my mind, and so I knew I had to do it. And that's the first time I've ever experienced anything like that, because nobody was giving me these great characters to play or a script like this.
Speaker 3: So I just thought, wow, I was I came home.
Speaker 4: I made a beautiful garden, roses and vegetables, and you know, making pickles and jam, a big pickler and canner, and that's in my family, and that's something that I just thought, Camela's pickles. Maybe I'll do something fun like that heard And then this world came about, and I thought, well, I can I can get at to that later, I can do it at this, I can do both. But I really wanted to do this film, and so that's how it came about, and I just started preparing for it and working hard on it, and I thought this might be my only chance to do a film, and so I'm going to give it all I got, well, you look you looked.
Speaker 2: And your body looked amazing. I looked you looked great in the in the film. Did you have to do any special press for the film or you? I mean you're you're in fantastic shape and your and your beautiful skin. I know all about your no makeup thin.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I take care of myself. I you know, I eat healthy. I'm a you know, I'm always outside walking. But I worked with a great choreographer who I worked with on Broadway. Actually I played Roxy in Chicago on Broadway, and I had Greg Butler. I brought him onto this film, and so he kind of knew where, you know, I was at. I'm not really a dancer, as much as I love it. He knew how to how we could work together and how we could put that audition scene together. So that was a lot of you know, dancing, it's great exercise. But I've always kind of been active, so that's what keeps me in shape. I'm not I don't go to the gym or anything like that, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't do pilates like I do three three mornings a week at six thirty am.
Speaker 3: I love plates but I don't have it here on the island. I'm not on at any place.
Speaker 2: That's something you could be that said, I've a pilates studio. Everybody wants pilates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I could do it.
Speaker 2: I could.
Speaker 3: I have a little you know, basement in my in my boat house.
Speaker 4: I could probably put a pilates machine there, but I probably get tangled up in it.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: No, it's but I have a train. I have a trainer, and it's old easier because they can change all the springs and everything. You don't have to you don't have to do it yourself.
Speaker 3: I think that's pretty hard to do yourself. I think, actually, no, it is too hard.
Speaker 2: And so so the so the choreography was, it was very interesting, and the and the the men behind, you know, behind the voice. I mean that it's it's it's happened to all of us, those auditions that are just so ridiculous and so heartless, and you get the real feeling of that there.
Speaker 4: Well, I like it that she doesn't take no for an answer, that she would almost walks away but then turns back.
Speaker 2: I had an experience like that when I was very young doing going on go sees as a model, and they asked us as all the girls the ghost sage to bringing bikinis. And after I had the interview with about there were about fifteen guys sitting around a table looking at our books and looking at us, and then they said, oh, go on, go get into your bikinis.
Speaker 3: And I said, well, does the part require a bikini?
Speaker 2: And the guy said no, but we might as well. We have you here, we might as well look at you. And I just walked out of the room. I just left and I was only you know, maybe seven team, but I just I just wouldn't put up with that crap.
Speaker 3: Well that's good that you didn't put up with that.
Speaker 2: Oh, and that's the way I've been all along, but with the whole me too thing and everything, I just wouldn't put up with it. And yet you know, when you see other girls do put it, putting up with it because of the they need the money or they need the job, and it's it's a it was a difficult situation. I think I think that might be getting better after all these few years of horrible metube problems that we've been going through.
Speaker 4: Well, it's hard to navigate, it's hard to navigate a business which is based on physical be and you know and also naivete. You're young and you're in this business and you want to please people, and you don't know you have a gut feeling that maybe it's not the right thing to do, and you can get yourself in these dangerous situations.
Speaker 3: Or I was painfully shy.
Speaker 4: It was such a shy young girl, if you can believe it, and I just wanted to do anything to stop being shy. And I remember when this Playboy cover came up. I said, okay, I can. My mom said do it? You know, yes, do it. And I didn't know what it was going to lead to, but then you know, it led to kind of this wild and crazy life, but something certainly you draw from I guy.
Speaker 2: How was it to work with Gia Coppola?
Speaker 3: Well, she is amazing. She's such a great actress director.
Speaker 4: She's very soft spoken, but she's very decisive and she this was her singular vision.
Speaker 3: She had one a little monitor that she would carry.
Speaker 4: You know. I went from this movie to doing Naked Gun for Paramount, and it was like, couldn't be any more different. I mean, with hundreds of people on set, video villages, she had keeping this. It was by Indie fields are so fun because I really don't have a lot of cooks in the kitchen. It's really her vision. And she's great. I mean she she has this natural calmness and knowing and and there was so many women on the set, Like even our DP was a woman, Autumn Durral who's and the girl carrying the boom.
Speaker 3: There was so many women on this.
Speaker 4: I don't think they planned it, but this was really a film about women, created by women, written by a woman.
Speaker 2: But but dressed by a man. How is Bob Mackie?
Speaker 3: Bob Mackie Bob Mackie costumes?
Speaker 4: Those were museum pieces by you know, some of them still had name tags in them. So I really felt, you know, as much as we were sticking into me and like, you know.
Speaker 3: Heavy and and and.
Speaker 2: They were they were quite. They were wife fabulous. Those caustic and dresses too, those much are her.
Speaker 4: They were heavy and they make it look easy. I mean I talked to some of the Jubilee show girls. I had them come over for tea and we talked about kind of the you know showgirl dos and don't you know they're not bur lesque dancers. They were never asked to mingle with people in the casinos. They were kind of they were protected. They were the icon of Las Vegas. But there's no show anymore, you know it. Out with the old, in with the new. Las Vegas is pretty much known for that, and I think that's why I love the analog versus digital of shooting on film was kind of subconscious in a way where it kind of remind nostalgia, kind of made you think of the past. And it was kind of a period piece because I think it was twenty sixteen that Jubilee ended, and so they had to be careful how they shot Las Vegas. They couldn't have the Sphere in it, for instance.
Speaker 3: You know, they had to make sure it was you been.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you, have you been to the Sphere?
Speaker 3: I haven't.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I've been there three times. And I have a restaurant in Las Vegas. Do you know that.
Speaker 3: I did not know that.
Speaker 2: Oh if I had known you were shooting there, I would have made three. Your whole crew went to my restaurant. Oh, it's in the Paris It's in the Paris Hotel and it's called the Bidford and it's a replica, sort of a replica, oversize replica of my own house. That like this room that I'm sitting at is there's stuff like this in the in the it's a beautiful restaurant and it is one of the top five celebrity restaurants in Las Vegas this year. I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: That's so exciting. Congratulations.
Speaker 2: Yes, all I can think about in that sphere, which is one of the most amazing theatrical experiences you will ever have, or probably the most amazing you'll ever have, is if Shakespeare had had such a place, Oh my, it would have been. I can't wait to see a Shakespearean play in that place. I can. And I saw you what was incredible in the most recent show it was it was the best. But but they're there. Movie that is about the world, about the world is that takes the cake. It's just Incredibles me by like six see different directors and it's an amazing film. So when you go back to Las Vegas, make sure you get to go.
Speaker 3: I will go. Yeah, I was whatever, see.
Speaker 2: What or is there there they need? It's very as there's so many things going on at once. You'll see when you go. So I want to know about Lady Smith. It's so such a beautiful name. Is that an old name? Is that the real name of a town?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a real name of a town. It's an old mining town on Vancouver Island and it's called Lady Smith. It's like one little road and I've I grew up here, you did.
Speaker 4: My grandmother had this little auto court where there was nine cabins on this little court and I'm in the roadhouse right now, which used to be her general store, and she had a tea. She would serve tea in the little teahouse. It's all connected, and had a little store here and would bake here. And so I'm right here where the squeaks are on the same spots, my dad says, in the floors.
Speaker 3: But that's about it. It's it's very cute.
Speaker 2: Where did they come from? Where did your Where did your your parents come from? Where did your grandparents come from?
Speaker 4: My grandparents were Finnish, finish finish, so I have the finish finish roots. And there were loggers and my grandfather danced on treetops.
Speaker 3: And you know, there's.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, They're so beautiful. The people are so beautiful. I venture fin let other people are so beautiful and their attitude is so beautiful too.
Speaker 4: Well. Nature is very important, and storytelling is very important. My grandfather used to teach me fairy tales and mythology. It was a great storyteller and really deep voice. And I was six foot four and I don't know. He was really a special person. And I spoke Finnish to him till he passed away when I was eleven. But I can imagine him here in his chair with that he always had, So it's nice. I wanted to come home. I wanted to come home to the place where the trees knew me since birth. You know, I just felt like I needed to come home.
Speaker 2: Well, how often how often do you leave there?
Speaker 3: I am hardly ever here lately.
Speaker 4: I mean promoting this film for four months and running around and doing that. You know what, we I forgot that this was all part of it. You know, you think you do the film and then you're done, But no, that's just.
Speaker 2: Going No, No, You're you're going to do all the find out about all the ancillary stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I do believe in the film. I want as many people to see the film as possible. I wanted to get it's do it well.
Speaker 2: It has just a limited distribution right now. When is it going to go on Netflix or something.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the plans are for streaming, but I'm glad that this film is being shown on the big screen because they created special lenses for this film Autumn. There's these automorphic lenses where the edges are kind of blurred, and that really focuses in on the talent. So that's kind of lose that I think in smaller devices. But it's an indie film, so for instance, we'd open on six hundred screens instead of thousands like another film. What and and in Canada, you know, a hundred screens or something. It's it's very limited and also limited in for the money they put into advertising, so it's very much word of mouth and and so that's why we do as much as we can do to promote it, because it doesn't have the same machine behind it. You know, Netflix, they have millions and millions of dollars they put behind their projects and their artists, and so I kind of like it.
Speaker 3: I'm always like the little engine that could. I can get there. I can get there. I'm just fighting for it.
Speaker 2: I think, I think lots and lots and lots of people will be watching.
Speaker 5: It's still I hope, ultimately, I think so.
Speaker 2: So what does the ideal day look like for you in Ladies Smith?
Speaker 4: Well, it's winter right now, and actually yesterday was fun because I got to really prune back my roses. It finally froze, which is so bizarre, Like the weather's so different. We used to get snow every year and there's been no snow, so I wanted to wait and really do the heart prunning after the froze for a while. So that's what I did yesterday. Today, I'm just you know, am I is it? My b I moved my parents onto the property. They live in one of the cabins, and so there's some health issues for things. I'm looking after them and it's fun. It's fun to cook for them. It's fun to make my dad eat more vegetables in it's his seventies.
Speaker 2: Like you, you have, you have one child.
Speaker 3: I have two children. I have, oh I have, but they're twenty seven and twenty eight, Brandon and Dylan. Dylan is the youngest one.
Speaker 4: Brandon is the producer who's you know, masterminding this all a lot of these things.
Speaker 3: I saw your documentary, by the way, and I loved it.
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 3: I loved it?
Speaker 2: Oh it's just so great. Oh good, well, thank you, thank you, it's so great.
Speaker 4: You're such a beauty and you're such a you know, you started the whole world.
Speaker 3: I mean, just just to be able. I love.
Speaker 4: I consider myself a homemaker. I consider myself you know, I love to bake and cook and.
Speaker 2: I'll win white. I just I got your I got your from your cookbook. There it is and very nicely, John. How long did it take you to put together?
Speaker 4: Three years? You know we did the testing and taste, I mean did they. I didn't realize what takes to make a cookbook because I made this recipe card box for my kids when they got their first home together and they lived together, and they are the ones who said, mom, this is a cookbook.
Speaker 2: And I thought, oh.
Speaker 4: Geez, they're so you know, they're very they're.
Speaker 3: Businessmen, so that was their idea.
Speaker 4: And then I just worked with a great photographer. The photographer actually shot Nomah's cookbook. Oh, and Noah is so fabulous on and.
Speaker 2: D then have you been ged Ova?
Speaker 3: I have I have.
Speaker 2: I have. It's a vegetable season, so that was lucky for me. So I like, I love rice porridge. That's that's really is that. It's really Japanese with the.
Speaker 4: Gorgeous I'm a moarning person, and I, you know, all these people that are doing this intrimitted fasting, I couldn't do it. I have to eat as soon as I get up, I take my vitamins. I I make some kind of porridge and some kind of something warm, you know, or my overnight oats. It's funny when I go to hotels now, I'll go to my room. I'll go to my room and there'll be something the chef has made from my cookbook in my room.
Speaker 2: How nice? Isn't that amazing?
Speaker 3: In Barcelona, in La, all over the world.
Speaker 2: And I love your writing and I love your sketching.
Speaker 3: You do my doodles, Oh no, I think.
Speaker 2: They're very beautiful. I want to eat a sweet po potato burger right now.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad you like that because that's what I eat. But that's my you know, my kids were kind of saying, Mom, this is really a recipe.
Speaker 2: No, it's it is a recipe at least it's an idea of a very good recipe. And your saffron spinach rice cake. It reminds me so much of Tadique. You know, I love I love Persian food, and that is.
Speaker 3: Called that's a deep because I didn't want to be disrespectful, because you know I can write.
Speaker 2: Do you you can grow saffron? Do you know that? Did not know that I'm growing my old saffron. I got a jar of saffron from my farm this year, a little half high jar of saffron, which is like gold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And do you grow it in the garden or do you grow it in the garden and it comes back stronger the second year and then even stronger than the third year.
Speaker 2: They're procus balls. Okay, you can order them and they are wonderful. I mean, the fragrance of homegrown saffron is so much superior to anything that you buy anything. I love it. You will love it. Oh, I love your I love your watermelon, watermelon granita. Do you know have you seen my new cookbook, my hundredth book?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, but I want it.
Speaker 2: I have a good orange granita in that book. And here you are probably amazing. You have watermelon.
Speaker 4: It's so beautiful, and I'd like to do with preserved lemons too. But you know, I met David Zimmer of the cementation guy from Nomah, yeah, talking about you know that, and so they kind of was inspired by him a little bit the watermelon grenita.
Speaker 3: But I was speaking of blood orange trees. I probably shouldn't say this, but I.
Speaker 4: Remember when my sons were born, I planted them I placenta in a blood orch tree.
Speaker 3: You did, That's very I don't know where we got the idea to do that. Oh, that's goulda been a terrible thing that comes up.
Speaker 2: And did the blood orange tree grow well?
Speaker 3: The blood oornetry grew well.
Speaker 4: But unfortunately that heuse burned down, oh in one of the California fires, which I am just poor California for this has just been the most horrible. There was also one that just came up at the Getdy overnight and I'm like, yes, really yeah, but they put it out, they contained it right away, but it was overnight, and they're sending me videos my kids all the time.
Speaker 3: It's so awful. I have so many friends who lost their.
Speaker 2: Homes, and you know, we had I said to a matching a matching program or my company. All our gifts are by the company, which is good. We set off. I sent off a lot of money last week, and I hope I got one notice that from somebody that they had received it. So I hope they can distribute it fairly and not nicely.
Speaker 3: And the people, well that's the hard thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, my you know, I know a lot of people who work with animals, so I've been trying to help, you know, reunite people with their I gave.
Speaker 2: I gave mine to the pet world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need some rain, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think that's it's just been a very apocalyptic because.
Speaker 2: That's why you don't That's why you haven't a snow in Vancouver because there's no rain, right, I know.
Speaker 4: But it's I keep on telling my kids this place is. I mean, it really is heavenly I live. It's it's nice to live like in a rainforest and eagles and owls and seals on.
Speaker 3: My deck, and you know it's whales, killer whales. So beautiful it really is.
Speaker 4: I never I could never give this place up, even though the East Coast is.
Speaker 3: Kind of calling me. I mean, I really love I'm always going.
Speaker 2: To Bedford you would love it here. I really love Connecticut and I Bedford's Bedford's west Chester. It's right on the border of Connecticut, so you're in It's it's in New York, and it's from my house. It's like fifteen minutes to my office in on thirty fourth Street. And I live on one hundred and fifty acre farm.
Speaker 3: As Pictures and Jesse have.
Speaker 2: We have all kinds of of West Coast people moving in now, and I bet we get more because of the because of the fires. But Matt Damon just moved here, and and we have Blake Lively, she She and Rock live here, and a bunch of a bunch of other lots of Hollywood people have been moving here. But it's nice. You love it here.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's kind of like where I am. But yeah, civilization.
Speaker 2: You don't have the ocean. The ocean is so close by. But we have beautiful reservoirs and lakes and and I have a I have lots of animals on my farm. I live like you live, but on the on the East coast.
Speaker 4: The Hudson Husband Member is a big art commune. Like for yes, a lot of artists come came from there. So it's say, it was like it's an energy there. I think I want to do some theater too. So I think if I kind of gravitate towards the East coast, I'll be closer and I'll be a little more brave and try to experiment with I want do things that challenge me. I want to do things that are completely transformative. And so that's the exciting part of all this is that I think people may it may start being able to see me and doing other things other than you know, like just.
Speaker 2: The and I can I ask you how old you are because I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I'm fifty seven.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's why you said that in the movie.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 3: In the line was I'm fifty and I'm beautiful, and I changed it.
Speaker 2: I said, no, we're just committing mine now, you said, he said, And I said, boy, does she look good for fifty seven? So you could be my daughter. My daughter is fifty nine. I have a very beautiful daughter, mother of my two grandchildren. And and she's fifty nine. She looks like looks like she looks like forty at the most. My daughter and uh and the kid. The kids are old for they're old for a forty year old. But they're very young for a fifty nine year old because they're only twelve and thirteen. The kids' friends have much younger parents. So my daughter, my daughter is like in a weird situation, and she's she's divorced and she doesn't have a husband and and so's she's in a weird place. But she is such a good mother. And those kids are so fabulous.
Speaker 3: I can't wait on grandkids.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's the best.
Speaker 6: Wait, but you still you still have two little boys. They're twenty seven, they're that's young. Well, the money is already engaged in cage. Yeah, they're really happy. They're good. I don't know they they're they're old souls. I mean, it will be fun. I think, you know, that's the next stage.
Speaker 3: That's an step. I mean, my relationship is to my work and that as I like to say, you.
Speaker 2: With you would love my granddaughter. She my granddaughter sort of reminds me of you. She's very vivacious, and she's and she's uh, she can act, she can dance. She's been at Alvin Ailey for she's been at Alvin Aily for ten years and she's thirteen. Wow, And she's been studying there for ten years. And she's like strong as anything, you know, physically strong and very tall. She's like six feet tall now she's thirteen. Well, you can don't kill girl. She's good.
Speaker 3: I think that's what happens.
Speaker 4: I think the dancers really, you know, spend their whole life dancing and then just got too tall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's getting too tall for the for well, Alvin Ali the girl. The women are big, you know, they're big women, and but but beautiful. And she she likes choreography. She likes to do She likes to choreograph, so that's good, that's what she'll do. But she also wants to be a doctor.
Speaker 3: She also was a combination. I'm being a doctor, she loves to.
Speaker 2: Be your writers and she's and she wants to be a food critic.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you need to know a lot of things and do a lot of things these days.
Speaker 2: Your your book has so much and you refer so much to sort of classic French, very high cuisine, but in the most simple, beautiful way. So did you travel a lot in Europe?
Speaker 3: I have traveled a lot, and I spent a few years in the south of France. I lived in Sant Tropez. I lived in Marseille, I lived in Cassie.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah I did.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And so that was thought.
Speaker 2: So that's where that's where a lot of these that's where a lot of these beautiful recipes call and and the h and the photography is beautiful in this book. I love all your pickles, yeah, and I make I make lots of jams and jellies too. I grow so many different kinds of berries and fruits on my farm. And your focacco looks amazing. And your bread is your bread really really good?
Speaker 3: My bread is really good.
Speaker 4: I've already made you know, three badges since I've been home. I have this great, you know, sour dough starter named Astrid Biking Warrior Princess.
Speaker 3: She's amazing, and so yeah, I just finally.
Speaker 4: As soon as I get home, I take a starter out of the fridge, I feed her. Then I you know, a couple of days later, I can start making bread. And that's when I feel like I'm home. I mean, it's therapeutic.
Speaker 2: How who takes care of Astrod when you're away?
Speaker 3: He's in the fridge.
Speaker 2: She just stays in the fridge.
Speaker 3: She's so gay, she's fine. Yeah, she's fine.
Speaker 4: And I mean I was gone for a few months and I came back and and I just you know, poured off the liquid on the top and feed her and it was fine and small Paris.
Speaker 2: That's good, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's it's been a you know, my son's fiance taught me how to make bread.
Speaker 3: And it was a big thing. I think over COVID when people were making bread. Oh yeah, and but I really love it. It's hard for me to follow recipes sometimes, but with baking.
Speaker 4: Have to and with bread, I just learned the hard way over many attempts.
Speaker 3: You have to do it.
Speaker 2: I like your kale ships. Those look really good.
Speaker 3: Those are good, really good. So are you a vegetarian?
Speaker 4: I am, I am, But I you know, I didn't want to make the book very like vegan. I wanted it to just be celebrating my garden because, you know, trying to figure out what to make out of my garden all the time, you know how we get so much of everything all at once.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and I.
Speaker 4: So I was and then thinking about my favorite kinds of food all over the world, and I think it came. You know, we start off with so many recipes and you whittle it down. So I wanted it also to be about, you know, writing a little bit and sharing more lifestyle stuff too.
Speaker 2: But well it it came out very beautifully, were very beautifully.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you. That means a lot coming from you. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm going to I'm gonna make your waffles. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: If you make it, let me know.
Speaker 2: I'll send you a photo.
Speaker 3: That would be good.
Speaker 4: It's funny because you know when you're doing food, when you're doing the testing, and then you're doing the pictures, and then you're.
Speaker 3: Not there for all the pictures. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: I was going crazy because you know, yours looks a little different than it's. It's it's a real experience. I didn't realize how much went in to make it.
Speaker 2: I'll send I'll send you a copy of my new book. It's my it's like my forty ninth cookbook, but my one hundredth book overall. And so it was it was a big deal getting that out for for the last week. Got we got it out right before Christmas. But I'll send it to you and you can just peruse it. It has one little chapter in the back of how I write a cookbook, And because after all these cookbooks that I've written, it was it was funny. And that's my granddaughter. That was the first page you read in the books because she was very interested to know how it actually what the process is. And I got it down. I got it down, I think after forty eight books.
Speaker 3: So just recipe itself is as a as an art.
Speaker 2: Form and you can't you can't let anybody show you it's not.
Speaker 3: It's hard. It's hard work, so I mean, much harder than I thought.
Speaker 2: It would be. So what's your what's your favorite recipe in the book?
Speaker 4: Well, I am you know, I just have these fond memories of making parogis, you know, with my mom, and and.
Speaker 3: We still make them.
Speaker 4: You know, you bring out the big board and you fill them of all sorts of things, because you know they Jesus is pretty much in everything.
Speaker 3: Dairy isn't pretty much everything.
Speaker 4: So I tried to find a really good recipe that didn't have that in it. So I was I really love that that one with the peas.
Speaker 3: And the mint.
Speaker 4: Yeah, delicious, So nice little combination, but I pictures a little bit over fried.
Speaker 3: That isn't how mine looked. So I was just like always looking at things.
Speaker 4: I made a whole list because usually you know in a cookbook sometimes there's these little tiny things that are off and you keep this running list. So I learned it just you know, you have proofreaders, you have people going through these things, and you still miss little tiny things.
Speaker 3: Doesn't that drive you crazy? Uh No, it doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: I I think I've gotten used to those those people there. And a good code for editor is a really good thing because you don't want to leave anything out. You don't want to add any any any mistakes in the recipe because you want to be authentic, but you want to be accurate. So what what what is exciting you outside of let's say the cookbook world now or the film world. What's exciting you and what's distressing you?
Speaker 3: What's distressing me?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I've always been a little bit of a rebel, and you know, I tried, I'm doing this, you know not, I'm not that I'm doing this no makeup thing. As decided I don't have to want to make up every day or being a hair and makeup chair every day.
Speaker 3: And even in this photo shoot for L I wore makeup.
Speaker 4: It was exciting and glamorous, and I'm just trying to find what my next incarnation is. I feel like I because I'm such like the little you know, farm girl oh here, but I also love glamour and I love beauty and I.
Speaker 2: Love Oh man, you're real good at that.
Speaker 3: So I don't said.
Speaker 2: You have beautiful skinned, beautiful teeth, beautiful eyes, and you know, you play it all. And when when you gave out the makeup thing, we were all kind of like saying, I wonder how long that will lasts? Because I'm a little natural, A little enhancement makes you even more fantastic.
Speaker 4: So well, and that's what I want to do, is I want to you know, experiment with but doing it myself. I feel like when I work with people, they put a lot on me or so I just kind of want to be like, you know, every moment you get up in the morning, you feel like, what is what makes your eyes a little bit more accentuated?
Speaker 3: Like I'm going to do that, but I'd like to do why don't you.
Speaker 2: Why don't you work with a makeup Why don't you work with a makeup company?
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe I should do that. I mean, I should he talk to my son Brandon. He'll know how to do it him and Dylan. But I I think that's what the next step is. I just want to be a little more polished, but not look over. But there's always it's fun to do, you know, magazine covers or movies and film that. Even with the Show Girl, I didn't really get ready in front of a mirror. I didn't want the scenes not wearing my cup. I didn't want to be I'm going to do want to think about how I looked in the film. So that was interesting journey too. But it's funny course that you don't like what you look like. I mean, it's just not even about that, it's about.
Speaker 2: I mean, could you were playing somebody, You're not playing yourself, So I'm.
Speaker 4: Not playing myself and I think that's kind of been the people have been asking me, like, how many similarities are there? Are you playing a version of yourself? And I said, no, this is this is an entirely different person. So that's exciting to see too. When you look up at the screen and you see you don't see yourself, that was really cool because god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you see a character instead, and I loved the documentary.
Speaker 3: I thought it was today and it's hard.
Speaker 2: It's hard to do it. It's hard to do a documentary.
Speaker 3: It is in your life. I didn't have anything.
Speaker 4: I told my son, if you're going to do a documentary, the only thing I asked is that I have nothing to do with it. And I said, I don't think I've saved anything, but of course, as every mother does, we've saved everything.
Speaker 3: So I let him just have free reign.
Speaker 2: And that's so great.
Speaker 4: I haven't even seen the whole thing top to bottom, because I started to see it. It just makes me sad what it was kind of the beginning of this era for me.
Speaker 3: So for with revelation, that's what it is, self acceptance.
Speaker 2: I'm writing an autobiography right now, and the way you do that, that's the hardest thing.
Speaker 3: Well, I did write grand memoirs. I wrote.
Speaker 4: I wrote my memoirs the same time they were doing the documentary, and for me, I can't.
Speaker 2: You're only seven, so it's not your memoir, you know what. It's just like a diary of your of your life until now you're going to have so much more to write about. I've waited completely. I mean I've written my remembering columns and all of that stuff, which is sort of part of the part of the autobiography. But boy, I'm having I'm having fun because it's going to be it's going to be very funny by my autobiography because I'm not going to let anything not be said. That's so nice, you know, I wanted to. I want to tell it all. I'm sure it'll be great, and then you'll get it all out. Oh well maybe maybe.
Speaker 4: Like again even with you, Martha with your cover of Sports Illustrated. It's nice to be able to do things that inspire people. I mean, that's what this business is all about. For me. I always want to make sure if I'm doing a film, that it's hopeful, that it's inspiring, that it's uh, you know, it's always moving forward. Like I feel like even Shelley, she's always moving forward. And I came to that script fully loaded, and when I met Gia, I just knew that she was going to throw things at me, but I was still going to be moving forward. So I love that about you and about your choices and and I think you inspire.
Speaker 2: A lot of women. I asked my daughter, should I do it? And she said, yeah, go for it. But but I, but I I work at it. You know, I take care of myself and but I, but I do have good heritity. And so when she said go for it, that was that was a nice way to encourage me. And and it's the same thing with the documentary. She she didn't watch the documentary until like two weeks after it was released. I didn't show it to her, she didn't ask to see it. And she called me on a Sunday afternoon she said, I just watched the film and I said yes, and she said it's good. So that was nice. And so that those are the kinds of things that that matter. I think as a response, the people who care about you the most, or the people you care about the most, if if they if it's okay with them, it's okay.
Speaker 3: Well it's for them too.
Speaker 4: I mean they I feel like when I remember, you know, just be being younger and navigating this business and having two children, and everything that happens to us have as to them, and think about that. In the moment we think, you know, we're surviving and we're protecting them, but they feel all your feelings. They go through all of this and they have to deal with things in public too, and so it's nice they're looking.
Speaker 2: They're looking for advice, they're looking for advice, they're looking for guidance, and if you can give even a little bit of that from a good life lived on that it matters a lot of them. And to be open and authentic and honest is very important. I think I've just ambled along and found my way. I think that that's that's something that again, if you're if you're alert, you can navigate very nicely through through change. And one of my models is when you're through changing, you're through. So it's uh, it's extremely important for me to keep change happening and whatever I can do. The next cover will be in a bikini. When I saw when I saw those girls and in the last showver these they look pretty good and I couldn't look her out like that race is too fat.
Speaker 3: Oh no, oh gosh. I just think you have to.
Speaker 4: You know, everyone has their own way, and I feel like they've taken a very unorthodox route to get to this point, and it was just my way. It wasn't people ask me for advice Sometimes I think, well, don't ask me for advice, but.
Speaker 3: You'll find your way.
Speaker 4: And I think that when you're like with in MyDD, I think you're a pioneer. So I mean you had you there was no other way but yours, and I think that's really an exciting, romantic way to live. And living in the mystery and being okay with that. That's kind of where I'm at these days. Ically said, but I'm now I'm looking at things because i want to be challenged. I'm very drawn to a musical element. After playing Rocks in Chicago on Broadway and working with a lot of musicians and vocalization a lot of things, I kind of think there's a musical.
Speaker 3: Element that I want to explore.
Speaker 4: You never know, I mean in film and in on theater, not like a recording artist or anything.
Speaker 3: Just something, something that's really going to challenge me. I want to know what I'm made of.
Speaker 4: I feel like I just scratched the surface. It's been an interesting four months. I never thought that the movie would be getting this much attention and awards, conversations and things like that. So I've been just doing what I'm told and it's all been kind of a blur. But I'm excited to be on this end of it because I'm ready to get into the next thing.
Speaker 2: I'm just so happy to have made your equations problem.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm so happy. I mean, this is exciting.
Speaker 4: I remember this is I thought it was a long shot, and so I'm so happy that says.
Speaker 3: You would do this. So I can't wait to meet you. And if I get out to the East Coast, we might be neighbors.
Speaker 2: You never know.