Speaker 1: You found it the Second Date Update podcast. It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. Thank you so much for being here, and we love hearing how you found us. And we've gotten a lot of comments about viral tiktoks, about people finding us even on Facebook.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, or friends to listen to us. Oh, that's always when people say that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's always a good one. And today we got a special tree. It's a closure call. You heard one of these, you know, Like you've said before, Jose, it's kind of the most intense segment. Yeah, and this one, out of all the closure calls we've ever done, definitely took the most amount of energy to make it happen for Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, think about it.
Speaker 4: Some people hold all this weight for so long to actually get that closure or have that conversation that they never had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it can be crazy.
Speaker 1: And honestly, this one proves that our producer is amazing to actually get this person the answers that they needed.
Speaker 4: The fact that he can remember the next day even follow up is.
Speaker 3: Impressive to me.
Speaker 2: I think you won't hear this to know we actually like him.
Speaker 1: That's a great Hey, here's the closure call.
Speaker 3: Enjoy Despite what everyone listening may think. It actually takes a lot of work to put on this mediocre radio show.
Speaker 2: Preach Jeffrey mediocre.
Speaker 3: That's a generous tune. Yeah, because it's hard to get people to actually answer their phones for second date calls and phone taps.
Speaker 2: I blame gen Z. Yeah, you can blame us. I'm not answering.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we wait days or weeks to get a response, but nothing compares to what our producer had to go through to make today's closure call happen. Because this all started when one of our listeners received a mysterious message on Facebook and what it said was so shocking she had to find out if it was true. And now, after a full year of our producer tracking this person down trying to convince them to respond, we finally got some answers and it might be the most email that we've ever had this send. You're going to understand why in your brand new closure call next. We've been doing the closure calls for a while now, but today is a first because we reached out to someone that our listener has never even met before, never seen in person either.
Speaker 2: Why would you need closure for someone who is not part of your life at.
Speaker 3: All, how does that work? These are good questions that we should ask her, but they desperately need to get closure on this, and from the little bit that I do know, it is a very interesting, very shocking, mysterious story.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was thinking, why is our producer picking this person?
Speaker 3: Let's ask some of these questions to Marissa and welcome to the show. Hey Marissa, how's it going?
Speaker 5: Hey guys, it's going? Okay? How are you gars? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Are you like hitting up like Madonna to ask her why she's not making music anymore?
Speaker 1: She's actually still making an Issa good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good music, Thank you. Maybe we can speculate, but let's just have Marissa tell us what made you email the show for help?
Speaker 5: Okay, So this is kind of a crazy story. Kind of blows my mind too. But this this chick name asked and hit me up okay, instant our direct message okay, and said she had a crazy story for me.
Speaker 1: Did she tell you the story right away or was it one of those like, I don't know, she's setting you up for a scam or something? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Exactly, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Think funny you mentioned that I thought it was a scam at first, because it's so crazy. But she said she just found out that thirty years ago she was accidentally swapped at birth for another baby at the hospital and that baby was me.
Speaker 2: Whoa, whoa wait, she's claiming, how would she know.
Speaker 5: What a swap sisters? I was like, Okay, that sounds really.
Speaker 3: Weird, like swap sisters. Dude, it sounds like a show on teals.
Speaker 2: She's saying, your parents aren't your parents, that they're her parents? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Crazy, right? So I deleted it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a scam.
Speaker 1: Questions, No way, dude, I would think it's I mean, you can tell if you're related.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean if you do a DNA test.
Speaker 1: I mean you can do those tests, and a lot of people are finding out stuff like like, oh, that's not really my dad is usually how it goes down, yea, typically you know who your mom is, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of makes more sense.
Speaker 5: She sent me another message and she's like, this is not a scam. So I hit up my parents and I was like, mom, guy, can you tell me about this?
Speaker 2: And they well, that's what happens with swap babies. The parents don't know. That's the big like to do about it, right.
Speaker 1: It's like back in the day, they'd take the babies into a room. Now, you're never separated from your baby after you give birth, really, unless you ask them to take it away so you can sleep.
Speaker 3: So your parents who raised you, they didn't believe it.
Speaker 5: They thought it was a scam too, Like I'm elaborate, AI.
Speaker 1: Saying, Oh my gosh, So wait, did you go to Aspen's page?
Speaker 2: Could you see any resemblance?
Speaker 5: Well, so she sent me some pictures and what's weird as the photos looked exactly like me of her parents.
Speaker 4: Wait what oh you look like her parents?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So I finally wrote back here and I was like, how do you know all this information?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And what else can you tell me?
Speaker 2: What else can you tell me? Okay? What she say?
Speaker 5: Her last message was something totally mysterious. She thinks her mom and dad might know about it, but they're so mad at me for bringing up they won't talk about it.
Speaker 1: Oh so she's saying she actually doesn't even know all the details. She just knows that their family all knows. It's like some big family secret and they don't want to Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think she might have gotten in trouble for even reaching out to me.
Speaker 3: Oh so the fact that.
Speaker 4: They don't want any information, or hey, drop it like that makes it sound like it is legits like asking questions like I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I guess like if you have an adult child, right, you've raised in your whole life, and then you just then find out that they were swapped at birth, It's like, I.
Speaker 3: Know you're twenty three, but we're sending you back to the office.
Speaker 2: Switch.
Speaker 3: What's that saying? Like, you know, not knowing is bliss?
Speaker 2: Ignorance is ignorance is bliss?
Speaker 3: Maybe that was their stance on it, But like, how are you feeling?
Speaker 5: I'm just kind of freaked out, to be honest, like this is the weirdest thing that I think has ever happened to me, if it's true.
Speaker 3: But oh yeah, and how long has this been going on? You with the back and forth with this girl?
Speaker 5: This happened four years ago?
Speaker 2: Oh four years? Agow, Wait, you've been sitting on this for four years? Did you get DNA tested with your parents?
Speaker 5: No? But I think I found my mom on Facebook but she wouldn't respond.
Speaker 2: Wait, you're already calling her my mom?
Speaker 3: Wow? What should she call her?
Speaker 5: Broke?
Speaker 2: The woman?
Speaker 1: I don't know what her name is, but like, no, don't know that one for a fact, and too like your mom is still your mom.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Okay, you got to be a biological mom.
Speaker 2: Like a whole identity crisis because of this, and.
Speaker 3: So your biological mom wasn't responding to your messages, and that's when you reached out to us.
Speaker 5: Right, my supposed biological mom that looks like me.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, is that the case? Wait? Is that who you wrote with our producer? You wrote the biological mom with the questions?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: She actually emailed us about a year ago, it turns out, and our producer has been working on this every single week, trying to soften up the mom in.
Speaker 2: Order to respond.
Speaker 3: Marissa, you know that we wouldn't have you on the show right now if she didn't answer us.
Speaker 2: She finally answered after a year she said, stop contacting.
Speaker 3: We got her responses back a couple of days ago.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Wait, asthmen, are you sitting down? Are you in a safe place? Sorry?
Speaker 3: I mean Marissa, Yeah, okay, maybe you should lie down for this one because it could get kind of emotional. But we can help give you some fine reality when we do your closure call right after this.
Speaker 5: Thank you, hold.
Speaker 1: On frooking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: This could be such an emotional closure call. I think we need to have some sad piano music for it. No, wait, no, I said, I said sad piano, not bad piano.
Speaker 2: I see the mix up.
Speaker 3: This is why I have to listen to the music ahead of time. Stop this, yeah, let me let me get some sad piano music. This is not It's kind of impressive, but it doesn't fit the tone. Does I feel like bring the music down?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, it's sad like emotional music.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know I want to go back to the happy one.
Speaker 3: We're talking about swapped at birth because it just doesn't feel right.
Speaker 2: It was frustration. You're frustrated at the music, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 3: But swapped at Bert this is something that you don't hear about much anymore, thankfully, because the hospitals are better at not doing it. But thirty years.
Speaker 1: Ago, or they're better at hiding it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that's the case thirty years ago. Though it did happen to one of our listeners, Marissa. No, You've got a random message on her socials from a girl named Aspen claiming to be her swap sister, saying they were accidentally swapped at the hospital and they've been raised by each other's parents for years.
Speaker 1: Which, by the way, I wouldn't google search the term swap sister.
Speaker 2: I just think that you're going to end up. Yeah, you don't want to see.
Speaker 3: It's non official term. Aspen came up with it. But the thing is, the details about it were a little bit sketchy and there was some hesitation to answer everything. That's why a year ago Marissa reached out to us asking if we could contact her biological mom for her and hopefully get her some closure on what really happened.
Speaker 4: I usually if you hit us up a year in advance, we don't get to it just because we're lazy.
Speaker 3: Working on this a lot. Yeah, we're running out of time thanks to all the bad piano music, so we better just get to it. We sent four questions to Marissa's mom, Marissa, are you ready to hear some answers to this? I know you've been waiting a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, what musical track do you want him to play behind it when he reads it?
Speaker 3: What important?
Speaker 2: Your tears in the back?
Speaker 5: Ron gonna start crying.
Speaker 1: I'm joking, I'm joking Marissa, I mean this is crazy because I mean you're going to finally, no, hopefully you're going to hear from the mom.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, I mean this has been a time coming just seeing some of these answers I've been looking for. You know, it's just been such a mystery.
Speaker 3: Let's get to the first one, and this is going to be the first time I've read the answers to. I was just handed the sheet with what she wrote back.
Speaker 2: You needed to preread them, Jeff, so that you were crying prod.
Speaker 4: Went through all this.
Speaker 3: I'm sure I needed to focus on the piano music.
Speaker 2: Let's focus harder so it would have gone better.
Speaker 3: But sure, question one, we said your daughter Aspen reached out to years ago, telling me you were my real biological mom. Is this true? So she wrote back.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, are you ready for this?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Please?
Speaker 3: Okay, because if he said no, we would have had to stop the segment and that would have been really annoying, Jeff. But she wrote back, it is true, but Aspen didn't reach out to you. I did.
Speaker 2: I need to wait. I'm confused.
Speaker 3: I'm confused.
Speaker 2: So she faked.
Speaker 3: She says, I made up a fake Facebook account for her because I was too ashamed to speak directly to you. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: So is Aspen the girl that you were really swapped?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, arssa?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you okay?
Speaker 3: Do you have all the answers you need or would you like to content?
Speaker 2: Hey, check on her? She sounds upset.
Speaker 5: Okay, No, it's it's just shocking. It's amazing and shocking, and I can't thank you guys enough for reaching out to her and helping me.
Speaker 1: But I mean it's not Wait, you just believe her straight out the gate, like this is a woman who's faking to be Aspen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I really don't know what to believe. I'm I'm really curious to know what she says. Next, you almost wanted to be real.
Speaker 3: Well, let's get to the second question, which was tell me what you know about me getting swapped at birth? How did you find out about that? She wrote back. Well, honestly, when I reached out four years ago, I made it up. What wait, she says?
Speaker 2: Who is she?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 3: I knew I wanted to speak with you, but I didn't know how to do it without making it seem like I was a terrible parent, Because the truth is I gave you up for adoption at birth? Oh much, she said, I'm sorry again?
Speaker 2: Whoa?
Speaker 4: So she still is your mom, but it wasn't a.
Speaker 3: Swap again, so she was ashamed to admit the truth.
Speaker 2: Did you know you were adopted by your by your mom?
Speaker 5: Your parents?
Speaker 3: Maybe the parents didn't know that they adopted her, No, definitely.
Speaker 2: Could be in the dark, but the mom would be pretty.
Speaker 1: Why would your parents not come clean with you when you approach them about being swapped at birth? They would know you were like gonna find something out why.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I think it was just too much for them, you know, and then just mentioning fuck thing.
Speaker 3: We're getting a lot of text in it seventy five nine to two from listeners who are supporting you. By the way, Marissa, so keep those coming. We're going to forward those to her after the segment so that she could read them all. But this is already going way different than we thought this call was going to be. So I don't know if the third question is going to be relevant still, because again we write all the questions before we know the answers. But the third question was, how do I know this is really my biological mom? My parents who raised me are both shocked and know nothing about it. Do you have any proof?
Speaker 1: That's still a valid question, I mean valid questions. Still, we're like, what if this is still someone who's I mean, she already lied about you know, the whole story.
Speaker 5: Uh what did she say?
Speaker 3: She wrote back, there are birth records that I had you, and we both have the same color blonde hair as I've shown you in the pictures I sent. I'm not sure I'm ready for a DNA test, but it would also prove it as well. Huh, I'm sorry, lady. She keeps saying I'm sorry at the end of every answer, so she clearly feels pretty bad.
Speaker 2: But she shouldn't feel bad.
Speaker 1: You have a great life, like I mean, if she couldn't provide you with what you needed as a child.
Speaker 5: I don't understand. So that means my parents are lying or something, or she's lying.
Speaker 1: I mean, somebody is not telling the truth in this situation, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Maybe trying to protect you. One party is trying to protect you from something. But let's go to the fourth question because we are running out of time here. It says, is there anything else that I should know about? What happened. We like to leave it kind of open in general for them to fill in the blanks.
Speaker 2: Well, thank god we did, since we didn't know what the hell was going on was.
Speaker 3: Taking a turn. But your mom wrote back. She said, there is obviously a lot to tell you, but I'm sure you're angry at me about how I handled it. I am getting older, though, and I just wanted to have a chance to get to meet my daughter and know you, She says. I don't expect you to forgive me, but I would love to meet up with you in person if you're willing.
Speaker 5: I guess I just needs some time to think about it. I mean, I'm curious too, but I have so many unanswered questions at this moment, even for my parents to raise me.
Speaker 1: You know, I know it feels like you have a lot to deal with before you even think about meeting up with this woman who claims to be your biological mom. Yeah, like who's your dad then?
Speaker 5: Too?
Speaker 2: Like there's so many up.
Speaker 3: This is a woman who, like we've tried to reach out to on Facebook, and is clearly used to lying. We don't know if any of this is actually true, so I wouldn't necessarily come in with guns of blazing.
Speaker 1: I totally agree. I would come in super guard it. I mean, like I said, somebody's lying to you, my instinct would be this woman because you don't even know her.
Speaker 2: You know, you would trust your parents more.
Speaker 3: You need to bring your current parents with the biological mom and have them meet and maybe something will be.
Speaker 2: Comport What does your birth certificate say?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I haven't really got it.
Speaker 3: Go get it.
Speaker 4: We'll wait.
Speaker 3: Maybe you come back with it later. But I'm sorry. I know this is a lot of information that was just tossed on you. We'll give you some time to process. But do you feel like maybe it helped get you a step towards closure?
Speaker 5: I feel like I have a lot more questions, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, I was thinking opens everything up, doesn't close anything.
Speaker 3: We'll stay in touch with you and hopefully we can do a closure call update and figure out what's really going on if you do meet up with your biological mom, if she is your biological mom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, thank you guys.
Speaker 2: I just want to give you a hug right now.
Speaker 3: Give me some happy piano music to play us out, please tense?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: That was a dramatic, A successful.
Speaker 2: Closure, successful jeff at all.
Speaker 3: All right, well it was a.
Speaker 2: Closure call, yeah, with zero closure.
Speaker 3: It's Brook and Jeffrey the other one in the morning. That's what you get when you email us for help.
Speaker 1: Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning.