Speaker 1: Too Much Information is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, and welcome to Too Much Information, the show that brings you the secret histories and little known fascinating facts and figures behind your favorite TV shows, movies, music, and more. We are your two disturbingly obsessed divas of data dissemination. I'm Alex Heigel.
Speaker 3: And I'm Jordan Ron Talk. Hello, Heigel.
Speaker 2: I was just about to say, like, do you want did you want me to do?
Speaker 3: Like what's your favorite podcast? That's good, that's real good.
Speaker 2: It's not, it's not. It's not one of my disagree he's I mean no, because, as we'll cover later, that man is weird. Yeah, and I don't think I have the depth of grossness in my soul to adequately capture him. Maybe I do, Maybe I do. Let's not sell myself short. Once again, we put the proverbial car before the horse, because Jordan, late though we may be, we are finishing out Spooky Month at TMI. It's kind of an educase, right because we can get it in under like Day of the.
Speaker 3: Dead, yeah, or like Daylight Savings time, and everything gets darker and sad. Sure, spooky, it's a different kind of spooky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an inside spooky.
Speaker 3: That's a heart spooky, it's a spooky mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're finishing out Spooky Month at TMI with an all time classic that revitalized the slasher genre and its director's semi morribond career launched a thousand at least probably a million at this point film school lectures on metatextualism and coined an annoying new voice for people to imitate. Present Company included that's right, we were talking about nineteen ninety.
Speaker 3: Six is scream God. Yes.
Speaker 2: I was first made away of this film by the trailers and like movie standees everywhere, like this is one of the first movies that I distinctly remember being in theaters and being like, what's that? And then it wasn't until because this movie came out December of ninety six, it wasn't until ninety seven that I saw hordes of ghost faces of all sizes and shapes trick or treating. So this was just like one of those movies that I was like, I think too scared for maybe a little bit.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't really get into like properly watching whrror until like middle school, or at least like seeking it out, which otherwise foisted on me in a few different opportunities, as I think we covered extensively here the kid down the street with the Michael Myers obsession and my dad showing me Alien.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'll do it, brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, I think I got to this at like eleven or twelve, and it got me, got me real good.
Speaker 3: As it should have.
Speaker 2: I mean it is rooted in like the who Done It? You know, so as that wonderful row of like hitchcocky in or almost noir like subterfuge and suspicion of everyone.
Speaker 3: I think that's why I like it. It feels less horror to me and more in like the Hitchcock realm. Like Psycho doesn't feel like horrid to me either. Yeah, and that's probably why exactly because I don't do Gore and I don't do like monsters and things like that. But yeah, this I really.
Speaker 2: Except for when I made you watch The Thing and you were like that dog just exploded.
Speaker 3: Oh I love the Thing though. That was another one.
Speaker 2: It's another one.
Speaker 3: It's a suspicion of everyone. Yeah, yeah, so good people, Good that you love the s tier of horror films at least.
Speaker 2: Assessing Scream looking at it through like twenty twenty four eyes is frankly difficult because Meta is now just one of the giant tech companies that's slowly poisoning all of our brands. And also, like the Kevin Williamson and I will lump Joss Whedon into him, the Kevin Williamson Joss Whedon like school of dialogue became such a defacto tone for cinema, and it got extra legs out of it because Joss Whedon did The Avengers. So not only did we have like a solid ten year span where Dawson's Creek and Scream or like Kevin Williamson's dialogue was everywhere, it was this sort of met textual hyper quippi, you know, teens who have every single pop culture reference of a much older man at their fingertips. And then in twenty twelve, Just Whedon did The Avengers, so all of a sudden, everybody had to be like all.
Speaker 3: The superheroes had to talk about other superheroes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or just being like not fourth wall breaking, or at least like winking at the fourth wall, like you know, the classic joke on film Twitter is like when someone like rolls their eyes and goes, He's right behind me, isn't he? And then like you know, like like that, so the movie had a long tail.
Speaker 3: Oh my question for you, how much do youah that Tarantino had to do with that kind of medica? I mean, I guess that's they weren't really discussing movies. They were more discussing pop cultural points.
Speaker 2: I mean, inasmuch as Quentin Tarantino had an influence on everything from the mid nineties to the mid two thousands, you know, and still but like yeah, I mean, I'm sure anyone who is a struggling filmmaker in the early nineties saw Reservoir Dogs and then pulp fiction and was like, oh and especially for this movie, I think because as we're getting into later, Quentin Tarantina was like mier Max's golden boy and literally the only person that the Weinsteins would not work with. So I'm sure some of the notes were like dial this into the Quentin territory, Quentin territory. But so yeah, it's really hard to remember what had bomb this was into the horror psyche, not financially, but just like it just rewrote I mean, not only did it rewrite the rules as it openly discussed them. But look, you know the rules. Yeah it but it also just like revolutionized that. I can't think of another horror film that changed the way people like discussed the grammar of horror as a genre, because every other one had just been kind of an iteration on a mold. And A great read for this is also the book Men, Women and Chainsaws, which is incredible, an all time title, and it is like an actual scholarly work done by I think a woman at you See Berkeley, Carol J. Clover. Yeah, this was written in nineteen ninety two and it's the book that coined the term final.
Speaker 3: Girl for starters, oh seriously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sort of laid down a lot of the rules that people are talking about with this, like Slasher's never use a gun. Slasher's always used not like it's always like a phallic extension or was one of her big things. So there's a lot of like that book has. It's dense because it's like you see Berkeley, I don't know if it's I think it was printed through Princeton, but it's like postgrad level of writing. So it's dense, but it does like lay out a lot of the track work for this movie's exploration. Anyway, I've talked about for long enough? Do you what do you think about Scream Jordan?
Speaker 3: It's so good. It's just so good. I don't have anything smart to say about it. I mean just the opening alone.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, is his Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would cement it in, you know, in the pantheon of incredible scary movies.
Speaker 2: I am mad that I didn't get to see this in theaters because I cannot imagine what it would have been like in a pre internet, pre phone, pre spoiler era. When you walk in there and you see one of America's sweethearts, Drew Barrymore, who is then summarily terrified and grossly murdered.
Speaker 3: Just what do you want? I want to see what your insides look like? God, this is what this movie did for phones, what Psycho did for showers. I have to say I heard the phone to this day.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll put the I'll put the I'll put a note in that I had at the end, but the use of color I d jumped up three hundred after this movie was filmed. It did this movie? Is?
Speaker 3: Is this what inspired you to like bone up on scary movie trivia in case you got a phone call and somebody was like, you know, riddle me.
Speaker 2: This, or else your girlfriend died. Well I didn't have a girlfriend, so there's no worrying about that. But that's good. Or else your fretless bass happened, neck chat. I don't know you at age fifteen. Yeah, no, I would have. I would have lost a valuable time obsessing over Bay Area punk, Scott punk if you will. Yeah, I don't know. It's what would it have been like to see in real time? We cannot We literally can't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know. Did you ever notice? In the opening? And maybe this is just me reading too much into it. The music is like a weird mix of the psycho theme and the et theme, and it has like the the like staccato string hits, but also there's like a little dude in the background.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting. I mean, as as we'll get to. The composer had like never seen a horror movie, so he was unbound by the various conventions of unshackled by the conventions of the genre.
Speaker 3: I love a misanthropic. This entire movie is I mean, there are so many great one liners. She used to sit next to me in English class. Not anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it walks such a great line of it's the it's in the Heather's mold, but it's not. It doesn't push it quite so far, and it really does walk that wonderful line of like these are all quasi unlikable characters to various degrees, excepting maybe sweet Jamie Kennedy and you know Nev campbell Is is like whiny but understandably.
Speaker 3: So I'm sorry if my traumatized life is an inconvenience to you in your perfect existence. Yes, I'm the one who's been self absorbed with all this post traumatic stress. This it's so funny. I mean it almost seems like it like prefigures the like over use of like oh I'm so traumatized, Like yeah, it's funny. How early that seems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And like I like, like I was saying, it's like it does walk this line of having everyone be like in these quasi unlikable archetypes of like you know, the hot slut, the dirt bag boyfriend, and yet they're still so magnetic by part of it's just being young and hot. But it's like I don't find it that though, no walk that back, cut that out. I don't want people coming to me for Nev Campbell. She's as sweet, although I am pissed at her about the reboots, which we will get to. Okay, well, Jordan, from the roots of this film, from the pen of a failed actor and a Barbara Walter special, to the violence that the Weinsteins inflicted on the production process, to the absolute revolution it's spurred in its genre. Here is everything you didn't know about Scream. The story of Screen begins with a man named Kevin Williamson, the aforementioned failed actor. After graduating from college in North Carolina, Like so many idealistic dumbasses before him, a young Williamson moved to New York to pursue an acting career. This didn't go very well on either coast. He got a small part in the soap opera Another World in nineteen ninety, then moved to la in nineteen ninety one, picked up small roles in things like in Living Color music videos and films like nineteen ninety four is Dirty Money and the previous Year's Hot Ticket, a film which concerns two kidnapped strippers who must perform erotic routines for their captors after their plane crashes near a mountain hideaway.
Speaker 3: That concerns me too.
Speaker 2: It was well hitting this all time low and taking screenwriting classes at UCLA.
Speaker 3: Can't confirm taking screenwriting classes is an all time low.
Speaker 2: That Williamson had his first success in Hollywood. He'd written a script called Killing Missus Tingle, which was later retitled Teaching Missus Tingle, that was picked up in nineteen ninety five and then sat in development hell until after the successive Scream. Missus Tingle was based on a teacher of Williamson's in high school who repeatedly told him he had no hope of ever becoming a writer. Once she interrupted him while he was reading a short story aloud to the class, saying, you have a voice that shouldn't be heard and that's disgusting and sit down.
Speaker 3: Did I ever tell you about my last day in screenwriting school? No, it's literally the last time I set foot in the screenwriting apartment floor of NYU for what they called was a crypt panel where you had your final project, your thesis project evaluated. And I had a habit of being overly wordy as it were, which I've then parlayed into speaking about Bewitched in the Brady Bunch for hours at a clip on podcasts, so it ended up working out for me. But so there's dialogue in scripts, and then there's what's called across the page, which is like description and of scenes and stuff like that. And one of the educators on my panel just took my script and like closed their eyes and flipped through it and then just opened that a page at random and put their finger down and hit a big old block of text and read it out in this like flowery voice and was like, now, that's beautiful, but that has absolutely no business in a screenplay. Have you ever just considered becoming a novelist? And that was my exit interview from U Screenwriting was, let me just do a thing that we didn't just spend the last four years too China do and you kind of just came to it naturally. And I haven't completed a screenplay since. Actually that's not trure I have.
Speaker 2: I mean, you wouldn't make an excellent novelist.
Speaker 3: He's dead now, though I won that one. I didn't do it.
Speaker 2: Yes I did, ultimately, and not really the point here, but Williams had made a deal with one of Hollywood's literal devils to get this beloved script off the ground. He was a hot name in horror after Scream and Mirror. Max was then attempting its unteenth at bat at the Halloween franchise, casting about for a writer for what would eventually become Halloween H two oh. Williamson told Ain't It Cool News in nineteen ninety seven Love citing them that he wrote a treatment for H two oh as a favor to Bob Weinstein. It was a little trade off. He'd let me direct Killing Missus Tingle if I wrote the Halloween treatment. My first script was at another studio, and I told Bob, if you can get that movie for me to direct, I'll bear your children phrasing Yeah that am Kevin. That didn't age well.
Speaker 3: No. As part of this deal, the film was eventually released as Teaching Missus Tingle for two reasons. One, the column by massacre happened in April nineteen ninety nine, and anything conflating killing in the schools became an instant no go. And two, there was the nineteen seventy eight thriller by author Lois Duncan that had a suspiciously similar plot called killing Mister Griffin, and Duncan's camp prompt legal action when they were made aware. Williamson told the Happy Horror Time podcast in twenty twenty three, they stopped everything in its tracks, and they went through the book, and they went through the script. Williamson maintained that his script was based on his aforementioned evil teacher and a real, incredibly mundane incident from his high school years where he and some pals were cut drinking in an attic above the school gym like idiots. No, no, not on the premises, literally in the attic. Yeah, the school. What kind of gym as an addic? I've never I now, I'm like thinking, fact, they could buy high school gym of an attic? And if so, what kind of horrifying things are out there? What was in there?
Speaker 2: What did I miss out on?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean kind of anyway, this would have scotched their entire graduation. So he and his palace contemplated driving to the teacher's house presumably the teacher that caught them and quote bagging her and saying like, please please don't do this to us. You're gonna ruin it. We're not going to be able to graduate. Please don't do that now, he says, bagging her. I mean I assume it means like like literally in a sad head. Yeah all right. I no word on whether or not he actually did that, but you're right, teaching missus Tingle isn't very good. I remember really liking it when while I was watching with my older cousins, like soon after it came out.
Speaker 2: Fine, Katie Holmes, you think she's good and things.
Speaker 3: It's good than that.
Speaker 2: She's she's a sweet lady.
Speaker 3: I look her as like a slightly evil student. She kind of plays that that role in in Wonder Boys with Michael Douglas.
Speaker 2: Oh you would like wonder Boy.
Speaker 3: I love wonder Boys. Yeah, it's about a stressed out writer. We can't finish anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I mean I think Helen Mirren was like someone was like, why did you do that movie? And she gave the classic like Michael Kaine answered and she said something because they gave me a big check pay for my mother's hospice. Yeah, So I don't know. It's it's it's fine, it's quirky. He's not a director, and has he done anything since he's about to do the next one.
Speaker 3: There's going to be a teaching missus Tingleer.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, there's gonna be a seven cream for seven.
Speaker 3: A seven cream for the new reboots.
Speaker 2: They've just been calling them. They're they're ostensibly they're Scream five, six and seven, but they've been working the Roman numerals into the title or like typographically, so it didn't it's not. For a while everyone was hoping it was going to be five cream and then scrimmix because of the Roman.
Speaker 3: Like the you know, it's the cream, the cream, it's it's the vit from the makers of the Vivich comes. Yeah, that's dumb. I hate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It is. It's like too fast to scream.
Speaker 2: Well, you know the funny thing about it?
Speaker 3: Have you?
Speaker 2: I told you what the funny thing about the Fast the Furious franchises, it was something like copyrights, right, Roger Corman owes the title fast and Fast and Furious or did, and so subsequently every time they had a new Fast and Furious movie, rather than paying him again, they just iterated a new form of it, and it's too fast, too furious, fast five fast X the Fast and the Furious or no Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift.
Speaker 3: Well, I thought Tokyo Drift was flying fast and furious Tokyo Drift.
Speaker 2: I think, I don't know.
Speaker 3: They skirted it with drifting, so the oldest trick in the book.
Speaker 2: They drifted right past.
Speaker 3: A one hundred year old Roger Coran on his death bed earlier this year, still cursing the producers fast the Furious franchise.
Speaker 2: Roger, One last question? Do you want to let them have it? No rose food?
Speaker 3: This is an episode for the nerds. This is our usually we're in for the music nerds. This is for the film nerds. This is gonna good way.
Speaker 2: Where do I get into focus? Pulling you people? Have no idea? What's in store for you?
Speaker 3: Dutch angles, zipzabs hop. We're having gone to film school. I know surprisingly little about like the technical terms for any of like the film composition.
Speaker 2: I think zipzabzop is a drama game. Yeah yeah, yes, and a right go ahead?
Speaker 3: Oh it's me still who's literally whose lines it? Anyway? Though we'd sold his first script teaching Missus Tingle, Williamson told The Hollywood Reporter that quote, I was still struggling a lot and eating my oodles of noodles. He was house sitting in Palm Springs when he watched the March ninth, nineteen ninety four episode of Turning Point focusing on Daniel Rolling, known as the Gainesville Ripper, who murdered five college students in Florida over four days in August nineteen ninety Williamson told CNN in nineteen ninety eight, during the commercial break, I heard a noise and I had to go search the house. And I went into the living room and the window was open. And I've been in the house for two days. I'd never noticed a window open. So I got really scared. So I went to the kitchen, got a butcher knife, got the mobile phone. I called a buddy of mine. That buddy, David Blanchard, was in Hot ticket with Williamson and told CNN Kevin was looking under the beds. He was going out to the garage and looking in the garage and I'm like, don't go outside. If you go outside, You're gonna go outside and the killer will sneak in the door while you're outside. And Williamson was like, what do you mean, what do you mean the killer. It's like Seinfeld meets serial killers. Yeah, the Paris conversation drifted to the iconic slasher stars of their youth, but Williamson told CNN, I went to bed that night so spooked. I was having nightmares, and I woke up at like three or four in the morning, and I started writing the opening scene to scream.
Speaker 2: Dude, how funny does this movie? If you just read it in the side Feld voice, I'm sorry if my dramatic life is an inconvenience for you. So you have a few animacy issues. So there was all of your mothers on timely that.
Speaker 3: Jerry, Jerry, It's all a movie. It's all one great big movie. Only you can't pick your genre. No, that was I could have done a better Cramer.
Speaker 2: I don't care. I'm not a Sidefeld guy. But it is funny.
Speaker 3: But you do play the bass.
Speaker 2: That would have been a great soundtrack addition to this, Like they fade out the nick cave and it's just like the obnoxious keyboard synth slab bass.
Speaker 3: Forgot how good the soundtrack is this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, horror movies weren't a big slump back then. Kevin Williamson told The Ringer, they have an amazing oral history of this as does Hollywood Reporter that will be sighting the slasher films of the late seventies and eighties had sort of petered out. No one was really making great horror films. Well, the second part of that sentence, he is stupid. Williamson was correct that most of the major slasher franchises were in Faulo periods at this point. I mean, dude, Candyman came out like, uh, it's one of the that's another str horror movie, you dumb idiot. You couldn't touch Candy Man. Kevin Williamson, you hack, you put I hate that. I hate that, And no good horror movies.
Speaker 3: That come out. You have no good horror movie ideas.
Speaker 2: Uh. He was right about the first part, though. Michael Myers had been off screen since nineteen eighty nine after the wildly mismanaged fifth installment in his franchise, Jason Vorhes was literally dragged to hell by Freddy Krueger in nineteen ninety two. Is Jason Goes to Hell the Final Friday? Did you know that, Jordan?
Speaker 3: No? I did not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. At one point Newline had the rights to Jason, Evil Dead and Freddy, and they were planning for Jason versus Freddy versus Ash three way crossover, and it fell apart, and then all we eventually got out of it was Freddy Versus Jason, which is a fun movie. But prior to that, Freddy's Last Bow had been in the year prior, in ninet ninety one in Freddy's Dead The Final Nightmare. The nineteen ninety the third movie in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, would set a record as the lowest grossing film in the franchise until the next one in nineteen ninety five. The point is that while there were a lot of excellent films being made around this time, like the aforementioned in nineteen ninety twos Candy Man, it was easy to feel like the slasher genre had quick voice led out. So Williams had set to writing the kind of horror slasher that he'd want to see. I thought, if a killer was actually using the cliche of a horror film, perhaps that would spin them around, he told Entertainment Weekly. I thought, if you could just expose the rules and play with them, then the audience doesn't know what they're going to get. Suddenly they're on edge. I started playing with the tropes Williamson didn't even have a full length feature in mind when he started writing in the middle of the night. What people don't know is that the opening I wrote it as a one act play. That's great Comic book dot Com in twenty twenty one. It was just a young character on the phone talking to us, but it could be a killer outside that morphed into the opening scene into Williamson worked quickly and banged out the rest of the script in three days, ultimately titling it hilariously What would follow Scary movie every time?
Speaker 3: About my friends when I play no I just saw recently. My friend is an incredible actor. She's and she leans more towards like the horror movie genre kind of things. I mean, she's kind of your classic scream queen basically. And she was followed home to her apartment one night, and this guy attacked her in the lobby of her her apartment and like fractured her skull. It really beat her badly, and apparently this guy had been like stalking her for weeks and she had no idea and it was really really really horrific. I mean, she had she had to move and kept changing places where she was living for you know, every couple of weeks because she was just so you know, just just traumatized by it all and it took a year to physically recover and she didn't work in that time. And one of the first things she auditioned for was as a victim and an SVU type show, and during the audition the casting director said, I'm sorry, I think we're gonna go a different direction. Your screams don't sound lived in. It was the phrase. And so she wrote this incredible one act play called pretty Good Not Bad that just It went to the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh at the end of the summer, which is just her at this audition. It's just a monologue talking to you know, an unseen casting director having given that that note, and it is it is unbelievable. Ellen toldend, does her name, look her up, check her out, let's cast her. If you're in a position to say, she is absolutely amazing. It's an incredible piece of work. I don't know when and where it's being performed next, but it was really really stunning.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was pretty It was really crazy.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I know. It was a really unbelievable way to process something that I mean is not terribly dissimilar to what we're discussing that went on in Scream, but she made something incredible out of it. Super proud of her anyway, Well, now we're gonna talk about the Weinstein's after that. Jesus, I was hoping to be something a little brighter. Christ Williamson sent a specscript around and it pretty quickly attracted attention. A Dimension Films executive told the Hollywood Reporter that he was given the script by a Mirramax executive and was immediately hooked. Bob Weinstein told me that I've ever read a script that blew me away. Let him know immediately. So I called him at home and said, I just read a script, and if you don't want to make this, I don't know what you're looking for. Producer Kathy Conrad added, we got into the game on it fairly early, and we were used as a stalking horse for several of the other places that bid on, and afterwards we won and got the script. What is a stalking horse?
Speaker 2: I actually love that and also this woman, keep her in mind, Kathy Conrad is incredible. Stalking horse is used in either politics or bankruptcy or criminal investigation.
Speaker 3: What a trifecta? What a riddled rich term.
Speaker 2: It's basically the idea of testing a concept on behalf of a third party. For example, in politics, it's used when like a sham candidate is put forward to hide another more serious candidate.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So I think the idea is that people were waiting to see or hear what Dimension would bid on it in order to calculate their own bids.
Speaker 3: Greatly, okay, Williamson recalled to the Ringer In twenty twenty one. There were a lot of different companies bidding for it. The price started going up. It being the script, the price started going up. Oliver Stone's production company had a discretionary fund and they were bidding on it. I got nervous because the price went up to a degree where one of the studios was like, Wow, we don't pay this kind of money for a horror movie. We're out, And I went, okay, well this is over. Williamson ultimately wound up going with Dimension, who bought the script for four hundred thousand dollars in the summer of nineteen ninety five. Medium Level. There was also a Vanity Fair article in two thousand and four that suggested Drew Bahrem read the script and once she signed on Merrimax, Green led.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, that article is really interesting. It's all about the Weinsteins and but it has a ton about screaming it and as we'll get to the frankly unconscionable I mean at a long list of their unconscionable acts, but the horrible way they treated Wes Craven so Dimension funnily enough immediately pitched it to its eventual director, Wes Craven, who turned it down. The studio then went to their roster of directors connected to Dimension, like Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino, before also talking to the likes of Sam Raimi, Danny Boyle, who would have just been coming off Trainspotting I believe, and George Rameiro.
Speaker 3: Tarantino would have been interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he would have been doing at this point. It would have been mired in either one of his unrealized projects between pulp fiction and Jackie Brown or just Jackie Brown. And you know, he's a he's a I don't think he would have wanted to do something.
Speaker 3: Oliver Stone doing that.
Speaker 2: Would have been incredible because he would just he was just off natural ble one killers.
Speaker 3: Uh okay with you. I thought he was just.
Speaker 2: That's the thing about Hollywood, is they just they just immediately go like, oh, that guy did something similar, Let's have him do it again.
Speaker 3: I thought he was just off of doors, off the doors.
Speaker 2: That would have been hilarious. But the film seemed tailor made for Craven, who had taken a stab at reinventing the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise with nineteen ninety four. Is a New Nightmare. This was the first time he'd come back to the franchise since nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 3: Is it too late to hold for applause?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Craven signed a very naive early contract that essentially gave away his rights for the Nightmare and Elm Street franchise after the first one, so New Nightmare could seem as a much more humorless dry run for Scream's entire self aware meta approach to the genre. This is going to get a little weird. Craven, Freddie, actor Robert England, and the original film star Heather Langencamp all star as themselves in a world which the Nightmare and Elm Street franchise is a real film franchise. We are all playing themselves in a world like our own, until the lines between fiction and reality are blurred because Heather begins to be stalked by a new indifferent guy who also just looks exactly like Freddy Krueger. It doesn't really quite come off. It's very interesting and creative and like a bold effort, but it gets a little mired. There's a scene in which it literally grinds to the halt in Wes Craven's office so that he himself can deliver a speech about maybe the stories that we tell are actually legends, and maybe those legends are based in real things that can surface again once we give them enough power. It's a bold swing and it was become a real called hit, but I don't think it did it particularly well in the time.
Speaker 3: It sounds like the horror equivalent of It's Gary Shanling show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it really does prefigure like I mean, I don't want to say like Eric Andre that's like actually just it's deranged absurdism, but like it really for nineteen ninety four, like taking your established franchise and taking that big of an intellectual philosophical swing at it is really it was really something, and it really just gets at the heart of Wes Craven. He is one of the most conflicting personalities who has contributed indelibly to the genre. You cannot find a bad word about Wes Craven. He was, by all accounts an incredibly gentle kind, intellectual guy. He studied English and psychology and undergrad and then got a master's in philosophy and writing from Johns Hopkins, and he was teaching full time in New York when he bought a used sixteen millimeters camera and started making short films From there. He basically leveled up through the film industry from sound editing and then under pseudonyms, he started working in porn. He supposedly worked on Deep Throat under a pseudonym, and it was actually through the porn industry that he met Future Friday the Thirteenth creator producer Sean Cunningham, and he raised enough cash for his first feature, nineteen seventy two's Last House on the Left. Last House on the Left is one of those appalling grindhouse classics that Rob Zombie saw and made it. Half of his artistic vision, the other half being Texas Chainsaw. It is so gross and so mean. It's ostensibly a homage to Ingmar Bergmann's nineteen fifty nine Oscar winning film The Virgin Spring, Dragged through many layers of dirt. It's shot in seven days. It's like a it's like ostensibly it's I guess, putting it as bluntly as possible as a rape revenge film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm on the Wikipedia page, and there's a Wikipedia page for rape and revenge film as a genre, which I am not familiar with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, straw Dogs I think is probably in there maybe. But Last House the Left was shot in a week, and Craven deliberately pushed the boundaries of what he could get away with with violence on screen. And he did this as a way of reconciling what he felt was the unrealistic depiction of violence on screen. Henceforth or hence heretofore. He did this purposely as a way of reconciling what he felt was the unrealistic depiction of film violence and the photos and film footage of the very real carnage of the Vietnam War that were trickling in Last House on the Left became a touchstone of the exploitation and grindhouse genre and attracted all kinds of protests, censorship, and coverage, and expanded beyond the limited rum regional releases that Craven had envisioned for. And it also has one of the most famous horror taglines of all time. To avoid fainting, keep repeating, it's only a movie, It's only a movie. It's only a movie. Done in like fading down descending script. Classic was reused for like four other films in the decade, but despite Last House in the Left's success, it grossed three million on a ninety thousand dollars budget, Craven had trouble getting his other non horror films made and he did not want to be pigeonholed as a horror guy. He told Newsday in nineteen ninety four that he had written a comedy about the beauty pageants circuit and an ambitious biopic of Kerrent Anthony Herbert, the Inspector General of the Army who is demoded for refusing to cover up American atrocities in Vietnam, but under financial duress and also informed by a friend of how cheap it was to film in the Nevada Desert. Craven wrote and directed another cult classic, The Hills Have Eyes in nineteen seventy seven, about an inbred cannibal family of feral killers hiding out in the irradiated Nevada Desert and preying on tourists. Though ostensibly just another revenge film, Craven viewed The Hills Have Eyes as a treatise on how, for quote unquote, normal people can be pushed into savage violence. By the end of the film, the mild mannered tourist is indistinguishable from the villain whose head he's crushing in with a rock while screaming. It's a hefty film. The remake is actually far crazier. It's a great remake as far as these things go. But it has a lot going on, not just as like post nuclear kind of stuff, because the implication is that, like, aside from inbreeding, these people were messed up by the bomb test deserts of America. So, as he'd feared, Craven became trapped in the in genre. Fair He made two more horror films before nineteen eighty two's disastrous Swamp Thing adaptation, which is just a real piece of and you have to understand how much I love swamp Thing as a character. God that movie sucks anyway. His next film was A Night Merre at Elm Street in nineteen eighty four, another film that literally turned the horror genre on its head. Ress Craven was a big reader. He read like newspapers voraciously and this was based Did you ever hear about what this was based on?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: So, Wes had read several newspaper articles in the La Times about long refugees who had fled to the United States because of war and genocide in Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam. They were having these horrible nightmares and were literally refusing to sleep, and some of these men ended up dying in their sleep soon after. And this was actually called Asian death syndrome and affected people from ages nineteen to fifty seven. Wes later said that there were all of these articles and the paper never really dragged them together. And then do you know what else? He was inspired by?
Speaker 3: No gem We've found no the Gary Wrights, see we.
Speaker 2: Can make it Oooh yes, yes, indeed, yeah, So that's just nuts man. And so he had this idea of a slasher who pursued people in their dreams, and his next few years continued to expand the horror genre that he was now at least semi comfortably resigned to. Nineteen eighty six Is Deadly Friend was an adaptation of a sci fi novel about a teenage computer prodigy who implants a processor chip into the brain of a comatose neighbor, with the titular deadly results. Nineteen eighty eight Is the Serpent in the Rainbow, starring Bill Pullman, is an incredibly fascinating film. I really love this film. He goes back to the roots of the zombie genre and is based on a real life account of an ethnobotanist was in Haiti studying the botanical roots of zombies and voodoo and the idea that you can combine certain plant elements and vegetable elements into powders and like blow it in somebody's face and put them into this state of living death where they would act under your control and do your bidding. And before, like I mentioned in the last episode, before Georgiamhera came along with the Knight of the Living Dead, positing the zombies were actually going to rise from the dead The first time that Americans had really heard about this was in I Walked with a Zombie in the forties, which is actually about Haitian voodoo. So he goes and adapts this novel and filmed it in Haiti after the overthrow of the Duvaliers, and they literally had to flee because they were like, it's not safe for you here anymore. And so the film is just, I mean, it is insane because it has a very relatively faithful depiction of the Tantan mccoot, who were the paramilitary secret police that were basically the death squads of the Devalier's Papa Doc and Baby Doc. And this was not that covered in Western media, and certainly not that I mean it was covered. This was certainly covered in Western media, but not in like mainstream genre fair filmmaking, and certainly not on location in Haiti. Then nineteen eighty nine Shocker comes along. It's good. It's a fine movie. It's a fine horror movie starring Mitch Peleggy. Mitch Peleggi. Mitch Peleggy is he's an X Files guy. He's best known as one of their FBI handlers and X Files anyway, that presupposes what if a serial killer became electric after he was executd anyway, bomb water, bubbles grave, and ever smoked weed. So it's oh yeah, but yeah, it's a first bom ripe idea.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize, I mean, that's a totally derail you, but that the concept of zombies and popular culture is relatively new as opposed to like mummies and yeah things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm not that big of a nerd to have read into where Romero was purposely diverting from the established canon of like, I wa, I mean that movie is really groundbreaking. It's first of all, I think it's like the first time zombie appears as a in a Hollywood title. But I don't know when he was writing or directing Not a Living Dead how much he was purposely like I'm going to take this away from that. But yeah, I mean it's really interesting. You know, Haitian culture is extremely fascinating, and also the way that the US decimated that country. It's also the first successful slaver vault on countrywide level. So yeah, read about Haiti cool culture. Anyway. Craven came Roaring Back in nineteen ninety one with The People Under the Stairs, which is an absolutely bad film. I'm going to describe it to you now. It stars twin peaks Everett McGill and Wendy Robie big Ed and Nadine as a pair of inbred husband and wife costs playing slum lords who have this enormous house that they have accrued all of their ill gotten wealth into, but they have also secretly been capturing children and mutilating them and stashing them in the basement when they failed to live up to their insane conservative religious standards. The two were very pointedly a character of Nancy and Ronald Reagan, which is oh deeply wild, and at one point Everett McGill shows up in a gimp suit wielding a shotgun with zero explanation. He just comes out in a gimbsuit. But so they're not they're not even the antagonists, or they are not the anti heroes of the film. The protagonist in this movie are all black. There's like an elementary middle school age kid who is the star of it. And what happens is is that he basically the accompanies two older guys on a break in and they're trying to rob them and uncovers this whole macabre world that's going on in there, and it just deliberately is like just a deliberate, pointed barb into the ratio dynamics of the US at the time, because not only do you have this idea that's playing on white fears of you know, black crime and home invasion seeping into the rich suburbs and et cetera, but the whole film becomes about how these people are the actual true disgusting monsters. It grows thirty one million on a six million dollar budget and is just now a legitimate classic of the genre. But then Craven went into this whole ambitious reboot New Nightmare in nineteen eighty four, and then he did Vampire in Brooklyn. Do you ever see Vampire in Brooklyn? Jordan? No, not a great movie.
Speaker 3: Was that what started Eddie Murphy's downturn.
Speaker 2: Or that Boomerang? I think? But well Boomerang came first. But yeah, this is the film.
Speaker 3: That life This isn't a holy Man holy Man.
Speaker 2: No, this is holy Man was later. This is the film that prompted Dennis Dennis at faced, little Guy Oh Miller, now the Blonde One, Tommy Boy Spade, not Dennis Spade, Dennis Spade, David Quaid, David Quaid, Dennis Spade, Dennis Spade. This is the film Vampire Brooklyn. Sorry, Vampire Brooklyn is the film just having a stroke.
Speaker 3: It's like a laser with a mirror.
Speaker 2: It's just watching it go back and forth. This is the film that prompt is Dennis Spade on his Hollywood Minute and.
Speaker 4: David No, no, I didn't got me doing it. This is David film Bade, Dennis Quay, the film that prompted Burns. This is a film that prompted.
Speaker 3: Dave son of a Whore.
Speaker 2: This is the film that prompt This is the film that prompted David Spade in SNL's Hollywood Minute to show sure of Eddie Murphy in Vampire and Brooklyn and say, look kids, a falling star. That then spurred Eddie Murphy to never return to said L until the twenty oughts. Anyway, that brings us to pitching scream.
Speaker 3: The anecdote was totally worthy. Julie Pleck, Wes Craven's assistant at the time, told the Ringer Vampire and Brooklyn came out and it was kind of a disaster, and that made him sad. Oh, so he wasn't in any hurry to jump back into it into his own genre. Producer Mary Anne Madelena said that Craven told her that he quote wanted to get out of the horror ghetto, but quote a couple months later he read it again maading the script for Scream, and they had attached Drew Barrymore, and he just felt like, well why not. He really enjoyed that work and he knew he was good at it, so he never thought twice about it once he accepted the job. Writer Kevin Williamson went over to Craven's house to go over the script and told the ringer, I get lost driving up into the Hollywood Hills and I'm already late. And then I show up and he has all these pages of notes on my script. I just see them sitting there on the table, and I'm like, oh no, this is gonna be horrible. He's gonna want to change everything. I've heard these horror stories. I know what happens now, this is the moment I get kicked to the curb. I always lived in fear of that. And then it turned out he was like, well, most of these are typos. There were a bunch of typos. He goes, we should just fix everything. Don't you think has he said he used to be a teacher.
Speaker 2: That's an English teacher, don't you think? Yeah? All the feedback, I mean, god, I just you know, he's like not I think. I mean. John Harper is my all time favorite horror director. But the depth of Wes's like generosity to younger people is really something that truly touched me in this episode, even just the way that he gave feedback to actors and talk to.
Speaker 3: People, which we'll talk about Jamie Kennedy thing this goal. Yeah, the only time I'll ever say that Jamie Caning was cool.
Speaker 2: He empowered Jamie Kennedy to make Miami's Most Wanted anyway, Sorry, keep going.
Speaker 3: The Weinsteins were both predictably bullish. You say about the tone of the film. Bob Weinstein told Vanity Fair, I didn't want it to be a parody. He met with the writer Kevin Williamson and said, Kevin, I want to make sure I bought the script. I think I bought. Is it a funny movie with scares or is it a scary movie with humor? Very good point Williamson responded, it's a scary movie with humor, to which Bob responded, good, that's the way I saw it, but you've got the wrong title. He'll remember that the title was originally scary movie, which is a little on the nose and also hilarious given the scary movie that we know about today. According to Bob Weinstein, it was actually his brother, the actual living monster, Harvey Weinstein, who came up with the new title from a Michael Jackson song out that year. Kind of surprised that MJ's team didn't sue.
Speaker 2: Was the Michael Jackson Janet Jackson song that was like one of the most expensive music videos of all the time because they were I think it's still all this crazy early CGI with it. Song sucks, but still yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, song sucked. Then I'm surprised that one of the Jackson's didn't sue.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, other things on his mind too soon as you meditate on that, we'll be right back with more too much information after these messages.
Speaker 3: Once the movie moved into official production, though, Drew Barrymore changed her mind and told Williamson that she only wanted to be in the opening scene. This actually delighted Williamson, though, because he'd been influenced by Psycho, in which Janet Lee, introduced as the obstensible star of the film, is killed off early on spoiler.
Speaker 2: Give her a thirty year old movie, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Psycho, sixty five year old movie.
Speaker 2: Well yeah.
Speaker 3: Producer Mary and Madelena suggested that Barrymore wanted to leave the production altogether, but was afraid of running a foul of the Weinstein's Ooh, yeah, I told you my my Weinstein story. Right, well, let me rephrase that. Yeah, buddy, I knew something. It was like a friend of a friend who worked at the Weinstein office, and apparently there was like an edict that you couldn't have like bowls of candy on your desk because Harvey just had no self control, as we've since discovered, and would just just eat it all, to the point where he would just like regularly vomit in his office from eating too much candy.
Speaker 2: Oh do that's foul? Ugh God, there is no way in which that gloop. There's no way in which that man will get worse.
Speaker 3: With the lead role of Sidney Prescott vacated, production began casting about for a new cast.
Speaker 2: I wrote that. Well.
Speaker 3: Yes, Vanessa Shaw of hocus Pocus and Reese Witherspoon were looked at, but Witherspoon, who was to be fair at nineteen, looked much younger than the rest of the cast. Well, Kevin Williamson's first choice of Molly Ringwald turned it down because she said she was too old to play a high schooler. How old would she have been. She would have been like twenty, she would have been like pushing thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like so with the rest of them, probably, but uh, you know, like there's that whole Hollywood grace period, I guess before now when everybody just looks like an airbrushed in Instagram model. But you know, you used to get away with casting twenty five year olds as teens.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well, I mean in Greece, wore don't we talking about how like Stuckard Channing was pushing. I want to say she was pushing like forty yeah, yeah, something like.
Speaker 2: I mean the film the medium of film was more forgiving back then, you know, like actually literally than digital. So but I just I mean, that seems like the kind of thing Molly Ringwold would do because she is self aware and like by all accounts a relatively lovely person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh wait, I take that back, Stuckard Channing was like thirty four, okay, so younger than we are now a really bad news huggle.
Speaker 2: We can't start in Greece anymore.
Speaker 3: We've aged out of height, aged out of high school roles. When I was in high school, I was cast as all the I used to get stopped and shown hall passes by the underclassmen. In high school, I was always I always had roles in drama because I was always cast as the adult. I remember we did I Love Lucy and I was Fred, which was a bummer. It was Vince Fontaine and Greece. Speaking of Greece, any anytime they needed a lecherous older man, or like grumpy or stooped, I was always cast I just get grumpy. Yeah, well you were like King Lear, weren't you.
Speaker 2: Oh stop bringing that up, all right?
Speaker 3: Were so? Okay? Who else would I looked at? For Sydney Prescott. The final choices came down to Alicia Witt then of the sitcom Sybil. I Love Alicia Witch. She was in mister Holland's Opus. She was the clarinet player that he's trying to teach how to play the Redhead. She was dating or married to Ben Folds for a while. She's great. Okay, she's from near my hometown. She's from Worcester, Massachusetts. I think both of her parents died in a carbon monoxide leak not too long ago. Google that. Google that. Check me see if I have my my local hometown. Girl makes good loar.
Speaker 2: That makes good lore.
Speaker 3: When her parents died, oh, Brittany Murphy, oh, also is considered. Who do we ever forget how she died? Because then her like husband died similarly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jesus christ dude, Well yeah, her parents were found frozen to death.
Speaker 3: Oh that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they were like hoarders and refused to let anyone into the into their home for repairs or anything.
Speaker 3: And it was in Worcester. More importantly, it was in driving distance in my father's house. It was in It was in worcesters near the Polar Beverage factory. My favorite Seltzer. Jesus christy. Yeah, that's a bummer. But she's great. And ned Campbell was the third that made the final cut, and Nev Campbell as herself.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if there was a starring nev Campbell as herself. She was a professional ballerina before this Campbell. If Campbell, I think Alicia Whitt was too check me on that. Stop bringing up Alicia Witt, Jamie. Can we pull up Alicia WIT's dead parents?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: What happened to? Was there a thing with Brittany Murphy?
Speaker 3: I forget Uh, there was a theory that there was like some kind of weird mold in the house or something. That is, they both died of like weird respiratory things within like a couple months of each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because her husband was found dead in their home later. Yeah, you're right about that, Dan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been like a one of those like TMZ ABC News specials.
Speaker 2: I think everyone just loved her too much and it was so sad Brittany Murphy. Yeah, I know, yeah really was.
Speaker 3: Today's the eighteenth anniversary of Back to Black coming up.
Speaker 2: Just bringing in tragic young women.
Speaker 3: Huh. Yeah. Keiths breast Specialty.
Speaker 2: Campbell, who is a beautiful, chestnut mare of a woman, started in the Craft within May of ninety six, and he is now obviously indelibly linked with the Scream franchise and the character of Sidney Prescott, but after the casting Kerfluffel in the recent reboots, I sort of hate her. To briefly sum that up, they relaunched, they relaunched Scream in twenty one, and she has a cameo where David Arquette like calls her character and is like, don't come back to Woodsboro. There's another ghost Face and she was like, Okay, I won't. That's it. And she didn't come back for six because even though Courtney Cox and David Arquette came back for five, Courtney Cox was also in six, but Nev Campbell kept holding out. She was like quoting too high a price, and the lead actress, Melissa Barrera, who is in The Heights, basically got a little too real about Israeli and Palestine and production canned her and brought back Nev Campbell, and Nev Campbell has not addressed that.
Speaker 3: Oh man, dude, I just got it. I finally just got it. Ghost Face Killer. It's a Scream reference.
Speaker 2: No, no, I.
Speaker 3: Actually don't think it is. Wu Tang predated Scream. See you were correct, Yeah, yeah, because they did well.
Speaker 2: It's funny because Wu Tang did a whole thing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: They were so into the grindhouse stuff, like not just the The Shaw Brothers seventy stuff, but also horror movie and there's a there's a a Wu Tang side project called Grave Diggas. It's like horror rap. So anyway, think of that what you will. Uh Yeah, so that sucks and five Cream is good. Scream six Cream I didn't like as much, and I will just not be seeing the seventh one anyway. Matthew Lillard auditioned for the male lead, eventually played by Skeet Ulrich, whose actual name is Brian ray Trout, but he went with Skeet Ulrich so low and I had this conversation last night. Ulrick was his stepfather's name, who actually raised him. And there's actually a horrific trauma at the base of this joke because Ulrick's birth father actually kidnapped him and his brother in like a deranged custody move and just traveled around with them for like three years across three different states before finally giving up the ghost and returning them to their mother and stepfather. And Skeat is a derivation of Skeeter, which was just a Little league baseball name from his coach. But yes, it's very stupid as far as a screen name.
Speaker 3: Wow wow wow wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We'll also get to the We'll get to another traumatic childhood incident for young Skeet later. Anyway, Matthew Lillard auditioned for the lead and was told you're not the right guy to make out with Nev Campbell the entire time. Why don't you come back in for the best friend? Ulrick, who was then quoted next in Entertainment Weekly's Oral History, said, with possible malice, I'll have a with Matt about that. I think you should let that go by now. This is all made funnier by the fact that Lillard and Campbell started dating during the production of Scream and stayed together for two years. Also hilarious. In a twenty two interview with Vulture, Matthew Lillard said of the movie, it's not a perfect movie. I think the opening sequence is incredible, and the middle of the movie sort of gets bogged down. Then the end sequence, the last twenty minutes is incredible.
Speaker 3: Apparently, Matthew Lillard was accompanying his girlfriend to auditions somewhere else in the building, and the casting director for Scream saw him and encouraged him audition another one of those I mean salt grain No, I just I guess it's worse if you if someone looked at him and was like.
Speaker 2: You'd be a good second banana as a deraanded serial killer. Production was iing Vince Vaughn for the role that went to Alrich.
Speaker 5: I guess because singers swingers come out too, But like, I don't know where that would have been in the production release cycle of of Scream, So I don't know.
Speaker 3: Alrighty Brunette was soulful ozz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how they went with Ulrich. Or we have Johnny Depp at home.
Speaker 3: He does. He is good in that though, and he's going as good as it gets too as the troubled like guy that you want to believe is good but you know that there's something bad.
Speaker 2: He's great in this movie. He is obviously a QTE and it just becomes so menacing. Yeah. And he'd started with Nef Campbell in the Craft, so that contributed to their chemistry. He, however, did not realize that the film had any comedic overtones. He went deep into his role, researching famous teen killers like Leopold and Loeb and the Menendez Brothers, and therefore, on the first day of shooting, he was somewhat taken aback by Jamie Kennedy and Matthew Lillard's let's say, broad performances.
Speaker 3: That makes it work so well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he told it Entertainment Weekly. I remember thinking, what are they doing? Don't they know? This isn't funny, This isn't supposed to be funny. And man, I was wrong.
Speaker 3: I was on skeetz Wikipedia page. Apparently he enjoys woodworking and gardening. Sweet boy lovely.
Speaker 2: I know, I regret. I regret taking that stray. Yeah, taking a potshot at Skeet.
Speaker 3: To be fair, even Matthew Lillard admits that the pair his on Jamie Kennedy's maniacal performance at the film's end is one hundred percent scenery chewing, as you describe. And I second, he told Vulture, we were crazy. If I ever saw somebody do that on a set, I'd be like, dude, bring it down fifty eight percent. Lillard has one of the film's most hilarious ad libs when Alrich throws a cordless pone at him, which wasn't in the script. Lillard genuinely reacts you mean with the phone, Dick.
Speaker 2: My hehole performance is incredible. I mean everyone cited this. My Mom's gonna be so mad at me. But he's like covered in blood, like drooling. It's really nuts.
Speaker 3: All our colleges that Wes Craven told him to throw the phone at Matthew just to see what he would do, blaming the director. One of the other oldest traits of the book.
Speaker 2: I do like his funny like Wes craved like thoughtfully puts like the frame of his eyeglass in his mouth, and he's like, Matthew, throw the phone at him. Let's see what happens.
Speaker 3: Let's see what happens again, A very professorial yeah thing to say.
Speaker 2: The precise stature of Lillard and Rick's character's relationship was almost immediately questioned, especially by queer fans of the movie, but it took a little while for the principles involved to admit the seemingly obvious subtexts. And this movie was influenced by the Leopold Loeb case, and of course, anyone who has seen Alfred Hitchcock's movie Rope, which is a take on that case, will recognize the mid century closeted overtones of that relationship. Leopold and Loeb never caught to it themselves, but it was a widely speculated situation in which one of them was like kind of the alpha and the other one was in love with him and just kind of went along with it. But while Kevin Williamson came out to his friends and family in nineteen ninety two, he gave an interview with ps dot Com into twenty twenty two, and he told them that he was very hesitant to present the gay side of me in my work at the time, resulting in the queerness of characters Billy and Stu being quote a little codd and maybe accidental. Looking back, he told the site, now maybe I'd be braver, Maybe I wouldn't be that shy little gay writer who felt like he couldn't get away with it. Williamson then elaborated on the queer readings that are inherent into the coore genre. It's always the survival tales that connect us. I think that's one of the reasons Final Girls are so important to us as a gay audience. Prior to Scream, he said, he related to Jamie Lee Curtis and Halloween because I know what It's like, I think gay kids everywhere understand that survival element that we have to sort of create in ourselves, and then when we're watching the final girl have to prove herself and rise to the challenge and save her life. I think that's something gay kids everywhere can relate to. Lillard, with much less subtlety, addressed the rumors at Seattle Comic Con in twenty twenty three. Stu and Billy were definitely gay and like Ski Orick is like, uh what. But then Lillard continues and he says, I said it to the twentieth anniversary with Kevin. Somebody asked, are they gay? I was like, they're definitely gay, right Kevin? And Kevin was like probably. So there's all that.
Speaker 3: Matthew Lillard doesn't strike me as terribly intelligent.
Speaker 2: He's I have such a soft spot for him though, because of this and Thirteen Ghosts.
Speaker 3: Which she's all that too.
Speaker 2: M I was listening to comedy around the comedies around this time, but also SLC Punk, which is like such a fantastic under the radar movie that was so huge for me and my high school buddies.
Speaker 3: Just could we do the movie? No? It was a really good shaggy Courtney Cox was off of the part of these scheming journalists. Gail Weathers by think of Carl Weathers. Gail Weathers by one of the film's producers in her manager's office, and she jumped at the chance to play a character that was a little against type. She was well into her friend's role at this time, she told the Hollywood Reporter, But I had to convince Wez, so I wrote him a letter and assured him that being a bitch wouldn't be a stretch at all, leaving that one there anything to say about that. Okay, Brookshields and Janine Garofflo were also considered, who both would have been good. The other principal female lead, Rose McGowan, had to audition for the film twice when her agent demanded two hundred and fifty thousand dollars instead of the offered fifty thousand. That's insanely low.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's up too. I mean this has been cast as like her being difficult, and she's even an interview seid, like my agent was too aggressive and like fed it up. But everyone else was offered one hundred k and she was offered fifty, So there was already some disparity there. I also think Rose McGowan has been was like one of Harvey's victims, so that's like, oh, oh, she was one of the I mean she launched me. Yeah, she was behind it a lot of me too stuff, but like, I don't know that it was. Oh so she said he actually didn't assault her until nineteen ninety seven, which cool that it wasn't in this movie.
Speaker 3: Well for this movie, making matters a little sadder. She ended up just backtracking and taking the fifty grand. Yeah, which makes me sad because she's my favorite character in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a treat.
Speaker 3: She deliberately dyed her hair blonde to contrast with Nev Campbell's. She said, I hated that color she was talking to e W, but it was perfect for the film. Her character's death scene, which is kind of the moment when I check out of the movie.
Speaker 2: We go back to the stuff you're saying about her wardrobe and yeah.
Speaker 3: So I guess the wardrobe department wanted her to be like more of a tomboy and gave her all these like overalls and things that she was like, no, I'm not going to do that, And she apparently got into a cab and went out shopping and came back with the stuff that we see her in, which we're all very like extremely nineties hot slut.
Speaker 2: Sure, I probably can't keep saying that. No, okay, cool, you know more about the rules of horror than I do. That is that a is that an archetype? Thirty rock reftords. At one point, someone walks into Jack's office and Liz goes, now, who's this hot slut? Anyway? Yeah, and then she also like one of the other things she talked about is that like the set decorator had given her like Indigo Girls posters and stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she went and like ripped them down. She was like, that is not what this character would listen to. I love that. There's definitely well there's I think there's some. But she was just like she was like really took ownership of like the character as it appears in the film. It was not how it was written or intended by production. Bless Indeed. I love a spunky, spitfire. Yeah, sharp tongued. Everything I just said sounds bad, Yeah, it does. It's got to be a better way. It's gotta be a better way to say, fix it. And post brassy.
Speaker 3: Maybe call her brassy woman just just takes no guff yeah, yeah, witty, hilarious, no guff yeah, sticks up her sauce. What oh the garage scene. Oh yeah, the garage scene. Thank you. Her character's death scene was a big piece of the set's climax, but it occasionally veered into chaos. Well, Pelton goes face with beer bottles, but she didn't have to do. She reached the door and couldn't turned the doorknob and made it out, but she stopped wet back, picked up beer bottles on the ground that she dropped and threw them at the killer, which I mean, again is what I love about her. She was not gonna just run from him. She was going to attack him. She was just fighter.
Speaker 2: But it's oh oh, that was her fatal flaw. And also not wearing a bra, would you sub you? She accidentally It sounds so creepy. It was northern California in an unheated garage, but it is like, obviously the thing that everyone notices about that scene.
Speaker 3: She accidentally hit a camera with a beer bottle and shattered a lens, which I can't imagine was cheap.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, they were shooting an anamorphic too, oh, which we'll get to.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Rose McGowan was so small that she actually had to be nailed to the garage door by her shirt because she kept slipping through the doggie door.
Speaker 2: That she was wedged in.
Speaker 3: It's a dumb death, it is.
Speaker 2: It is funny because when she was talking to e W she was like, I've gotten into my house when being locked out multiple times that way.
Speaker 3: I actually my aunt's elderly neighbor was killed by a garage door that malfunctioned and closed on him.
Speaker 2: Jesus did it just like drop heavily?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know. It's very final destination. Okay, yeah, I don't. I don't know if he was just old and like the Austin power is seen when the thing is slowly moving towards the guard, it just screams for like ninety seconds.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't joke about that. But I didn't know him, so he's an abstraction to me. Good this really, this episode's bringing out my worst good. Oh where am i? Oh? The role of Randy, the guy who knows all the rules about surviving horror films Seth Green, Jason Lee, and Breck and Meyer all auditioned for the role. All of them. They would have been gone, Well, Jason Lee is a little too alpha, but Seth Y and Breck Andmeira they work.
Speaker 2: They have beta energy.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I'm not wrong, right, Yeah, you're right. As I ask for your approval as to whether or not someone is a beta, as my voice gets higher and higher, my voice cracks. Oh. Jamie Kennedy ultimately won the role and has a really sweet story about Wes Craven shooting that scene. Oh you should take this. I know I love how much you love this.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this is one of the aforementioned Durable West creator and anecdotes. Kennedy was talking to Entertainment Weekly. They did a big oral history and a bunch of interviews casts. We're gonna be citing them along, but he was saying Craven liked his first take. He was like, I think that's good. But Kennedy was like, I can do better. So he did a second and then a third, and then he said afterward, Wes said cut print great and said how do you feel? And I said I feel good. He said, well, I want to tell you I'm probably going to use the third take. Never be scared to ask for another take. Always trust your instincts. That was a big lesson for me, not to be scared. That scene really helped me for my whole career, which is sweet like that. But again, Miami's Most Wanted Will he helped me when I was making Miami's Most Wanted. And the masked son of Mask?
Speaker 3: Was he the son of Masque?
Speaker 2: He was in some dog Mask sequel.
Speaker 3: Well, you'll be pleased to know that Matthew Lillard and Nev Campbell weren't the only couple that came out of Scream. David Arquette cast says the good natured, if ineffectual Deputy Dewey met Courtney Cox at the first read. The Dewey was written as more of a dumb jock. Arquette decided to play the character. It was a frustrated John Wayne want to be whose authority is constantly being undercut. David Arquette was said to be very excited to act with Courtney Cox. She was less enthused. Initially we all got cast Wes had had us out at his house our Kat's talking to the ringer. I saw Courtney and was like, hey, I'm playing Dewey and she's like yeah, I heard about you or something like that. She gave me some real attitude. I love him in this movie. I normally hate David Arquette, but he's so good in this movie. Like I love how when when the ghost Face calls Sydney at their house and he's like long off the phone, but then he like grabs the phone. It's like hello, yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: A great it's it's a great role for him, and it is so I mean, he comes back in the fifth one and has this unbelievably heartbreaking scene where he's like it's actually short, but he like wordlessly wakes up in his trailer and like goes and pours himself his morning coffee and whiskey and then like sits down and watches Gail on her new anchor show, like on the National News, and he's like does a lot of great wordless acting in that scene. And it's just so fraught because, like, you know, they got together on this movie and had a child and divorced. So he plays that whole dynamic like there's so much real life history in there, and he's talked about how they co parent their kids, so they have like a good friendship and relationship as parents. But like man, he brings a ton of pathos to that fifth movie. It's like, honestly, one of my favorite things about it their dimension where they like, you know, he says like at one point, he says, like I left in the middle of the night, like a coward, something like that, and she says, You're many things, but you are not a coward. And it's like one of the sweetest moments I've seen in a horror movie.
Speaker 3: Did he bring any of that to Eight Legged Freaks.
Speaker 2: Or as many wrestling movies?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: The Archets are just so sad, man, I mean, they had their Alexis had such a sad life and death.
Speaker 3: And anyway, I don't know much about Roseann Arquet, No one does.
Speaker 2: They are related, right, No, I think Patricia's widely considered the best one.
Speaker 3: She's got an Academy Award for what Boyhood? Yeah, all right, So, the as.
Speaker 2: We mentioned, the pair got together over the course filming. Jamie Kennedy told Entertainment Weekly we had a table read and their characters just had a lot of interaction. I said, Jesus, that's really good chemistry. Afterwards, we were going home to the airport. We all shared a limo and I was literally like, Okay, that wasn't acting. They were just getting along so well in the limousine. I was like, I'll just sit on this side of the partition. It was actually very beautiful. It was very nice to see people fall in love. Cox and Arquette got married in nineteen ninety nine and have a daughter together, Although I as mentioned, they ultimately split in twenty thirteen. He's talked openly about how her one million dollar per episode's success on Friends affected their relationship. Random Casting notes Leev Schreiber got twenty thousand dollars for a role given to him by Bob Weinstein in an unrelated meeting.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Bully for him. One of the franchise's best jokes is that the wrongfully arrested character Schreiber plays is named Cotton Weary, and then he later parlays his notoriety into a news show called one hundred percent Cotton God. Yeah, I waited for that one to hit. Henry Wrinkler is the school principal. Westbraven also stuck Suck in Linda Blair as a reporter he'd worked with her on the TV movie Stranger in My House in nineteen seventy eight. He also makes a cameo himself, dresses in Freddy Krueger's outfit as the high school janitor, staring right at the camera I believe. And he also cast a guy in the original Nightmare on Elmstreet who played a cop as the Woodsboro Sheriff, which I just love. So now onto the voice of the film's Killer Killers spoiler the movie is almost thirty years old, Roger L. Jackson. Sensibly the characters throughout this entire franchise have used the same model of voice modulator to disguise their voices, but it's always been Roger L. Jackson in every single Scream. He was also the voice of Mojo Jojo on Powerpuff Girls, which is funny Ojo Jojo. The role that led Jackson to Scream was actually Tim Burton's Mars Attacks, which he provided the voice of the alien translator device, So I guess something about that guy's voice just screams mechanically modulated. He auditioned for Scream with Drew Barrymore because she wanted a real actor to play against, not some pa blankly reading lines, He told the ringer I was working as a voice actor living in San Francisco and went in for the audition with a lot of other people. The audition script was the first scene from the film The Opener. I heard some of the other people in the waiting room saying, my agent says, they're looking for new Freddy Krueger because this was Dimension and Wes Craven. But in reading over the scene, I thought, this is not Freddy Krueger. This is subtle, he would continue device. I knew it had to be a sexy voice and something interesting enough to keep the girl on the phone, even though she clearly.
Speaker 3: Wants to hang up. He sounds interesting. There's this texture and erotic color to his voice. It's like a cat that seems sweet and playful, and then all of a sudden, the Paul comes down onto the mouse's tail. I wanted the voice to change color as ghost Face goes in for the kill, sort of like a cat does. Okay, he thought.
Speaker 2: A lot about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and it gets even more troubling. Jackson was kept isolated from the cast, but he always did his scenes live, which meant that the actors literally knew someone was watching them as they talked, but they didn't know who or presumably where. Jackson said that Craven gave him some room to adapt the lines, something that he remembers with alarming relish. He would say, he'd let me improvise so I could be really creative. I remember I said something not in the script, like have you ever felt a knife cut through human flesh and scraped the bone underneath? I read that like the guy from Airplane. You ever been in a Turkish bath? Johnny? Have you ever felt a knife cut through human flesh and scrape the bone underneath Johnny? Like Gladiator movies? Yeah. Another one I was proud of was when I told nev that I would cut out her eyelids so she couldn't blink while I stabbed.
Speaker 2: Her to death.
Speaker 3: Wow. Okay uh. Later, Jackson tells the vice interviewer, if I ever kill someone, I just want to kill them as me, not ghost face. Let's let's pick that apart. I just want to be seen as as the killer inside me.
Speaker 2: Now. He was prompted this. They were like, do you ever call anyone up and randomly with the like prank call people with a ghost face voice? He was like no, and then he said that creepy thing. I mean, I guess he's doing a bit, but like, I don't know. Man, he's like, just look at not the judge of book byites cover.
Speaker 3: But you know, let's see, I was not what I expected this man to look like. Wow, okay, yeah, yeah yeah. Well.
Speaker 2: Production for production for Scream was largely set the quaint little wine country town of Santa Rosa. Our former coworker Ben Trivett, who does listened to this podcast, also lives there. It's a harrow fifty miles from San Francisco. The town was not unacquainted with Hollywood movies like Peggy Sue Got Married and Inventing the Abbots were shot at its high school, while the city itself has served as a backdrop for everything from Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt to Stop or my moum will Shoot Hitchcook Love Northern California. Yeah, wonder why it's gorgeous?
Speaker 3: I mean I didn't mean it like that.
Speaker 2: No, Birds is uh, Birds's Bodega Bay and budget and you know, obviously offerdigo of San Francisco, so oh it's cool. Scream production wanted to use Santa Ros's High School as well, and claimed that they got a verbal agreement from the principal which they based their shooting schedule around, but they never actually made it there. First, the city claimed that the crew hadn't fired the proper paperwork, and even after that had been resolved, the school reneged on its supposed offer, saying it conflicted with final exams. In the film's DVD commentary, Wes Craven says, there was actually Rose McGown and Nev Campbell's dialogue about twenty minutes in that caused the district to bulk And.
Speaker 3: What was that? Was? I just all about life.
Speaker 2: It's like their interest scene where they're bantering back and forth about good.
Speaker 3: Stand next to me in English class? Well, she did not in the.
Speaker 2: Mood yeah, I guts and stuff. The movie was really how do you gut someone? The movie was relocated to the Sonoma Community Center and entire scenes, huge swaths of the movie, because this was set in high school, were rewritten to accommodate the switch. As we get to later, Craven was already at odds with the Weinstein's about budget and production matters, so the extra expenses were deeply unappreciated. On the DVD commentary, he estimates that the move cost production about three hundred and fifty thousand dollars, so in the end credits of the film you can see a very pointed message no thanks whatsoever to the Santa Rosa City School District governing board. Supposedly, Craven took this grudge further off screen and started a never confirmed publicly boycott of Santa Rosa and Sonoma County. I was a producer named Daniel Ferrins who is actually a graduate of Santa Rosa High told Horror dot Com in twenty eleven, Santa Rosa is very high in the Hollywood Blacklist of places not to take your productions, But Hollywood Reporter journalist Dana Harris contradicted that to the Sonoma County Independent in nineteen ninety nine, saying the idea of there being a blacklist against a particular county is ridiculous. It's a complex industry and annoying things happen all the time. When a community does something unfriendly. There may be some gossip or something for the short term, and it might stop some people from filming there. But believe me, there isn't some master puppeteer distributing blacklists and dictating where people can go to make their films, which I say not true, and if true, a bummer.
Speaker 3: Anyway. Because of the relative isolation of northern California from Hollywood, the cast bonded easily during the shoot. They had fond memories of staying at the Double Tree Hotel, mostly because they had fresh baked cookies daily. This whole anecdote's very meee code. Every day they give you a fresh cookie, Jamie Kennedy said, And I know it sounds stupid, but it was just so good. Every day. I felt like I had a little treat. If I did a good scene, I'd eat my cookie. Presumably if he did a bad scene, he would also eat his cookie. Cookies were eating. Shooting mostly at night. The cast blacked out their windows because they'd come back at six am and quote unwined, which you speculate mostly meant drinking. David Arquette had a bar installed in his room, which I'm very impressed by. The setup included black lights and lava lamps. He seems like he just bought out the entire contents of a spencer gifts.
Speaker 2: No, he said, I didn't put this in, but he said he went to every local headshop. Nah to a mass this collection nev Campbell. Remember, David is nuts, so he bought every toy possible that you can buy in Santa Rosa and they were all hanging from his ceiling. I think it was called David's Bar, David's Club or something. The cast and crew also had lots of parking lot party and even bonfire at one point. Skeet Ulrich told Vulture, we did feel like a group of outcasts that came together, you know, six am, getting off work and we're rolling into the hotel half caked and sticky syrup and blood as people are rolling out to go to their wine tours and Napa Valley. We must have looked like the most insane group of people in this hotel complex. It's not every film that you get to do that. Less and less now as we get distracted by so many things. It was really an incredible time. He made this very interesting comment that like pre smartphones and pre eternal Internet, like people bonded on film shoots so much more because you were there was downtime where you would hang out and you didn't just he said. He said, nowadays everybody just everyone just disappears into their phone. That's sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it reminds me of the story of the Robie Williams Crinkly eyed school movie The Cider House Dead Poets Society. There is, writes to me, the story from the Dead Poets Society where all the boys were getting up to high jinks in the hotel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what everyone says. One of the other things quotes about this was like people talk about, like I hate shooting in La because in La you just everyone goes back to the formats, But shooting on location, you're usually all in one hotel or together, he said. They also, the thing that comes up constantly is it's like summer camp.
Speaker 3: They can stand by me. They said that too. They would do like theater, games and the rooms and stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean same with Karate Kid, all the all the gang, all the bullies were like ripping dirt bikes around like a ripro in time.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a quick break, but we'll be right back with more. Too much information and just a moment.
Speaker 2: I wanted to do a roundup of quotes about how nice Wes Craven was, but they're there are too many, and we would be here for days. Jamie Kenned who described him as a tenured Berkeley professor, But he had a sense of humor about what he was doing. He once told Courtney Cox, who asked him for direction, Courtney, what do you think that I've been there? I don't know what it feels like to be chased by a knife. Apparently he was a bird watcher as well. Kevin Williamson said he would sit in his chair, he would be doing a crossword puzzle and reading about birds, and then he would just go action and become somebody else. Virtually every actor has multiple quotes about how safe and comfortable he made them feel in the set shooting this harrowing stuff. Arquette it did have one hilarious quote in the Hollywood Reporter Oral History. When you do a take and it wasn't what Wes wanted, he'd say, well, David, that's terrible. That was absolutely unusable. He laughs. But he says he had a way of giving direction to an actor that doesn't make them feel like they failed, and it almost lifts their spirit up so that in the next take you can do it again and have more fun with it, faster better and more blood. He'd say it like that.
Speaker 3: Speaking of harrowing the film's opening scene, My God, Kevin Williamson described the house as out in the middle of nowhere. What was interesting is that there were just two houses in these huge fields, and our base camp was at the other house where they shot Kujo. That's so great, Drew Barrymore said. The scene took five days of night shoots to capture. We started on a Monday night and we ended on a Friday night at like five in the morning. So Saturday morning, okay, is a feeding and gremlin after me tonight, I've gun cross that it was more or less shot in sequence. And when Barrymore and Craven sat down and plotted out, they came up with an interesting strategy to coax real tears out of Barrymore. She told ew we couldn't have been more on the same page. I was like, I never want faked tears. I will come up with a mechanism that will actually make me cry. I will run around until I'm hyperventilating. He and I had this secret story. We would just talk about it every time because it made me cry every time I thought about it. That worked for tears. It didn't work for hyperventilating. I would still have to run around a lot. Craven narrowed down this allegedly secret story for the DVD commentary. He said, the night before we started shooting the scene, she told me a horrible story about a newspaper article of a dog being burned by its owner set on fire. And he started crying as she was telling this to me. So every time I needed to get her over that edge into complete tears, I would just say, Drew, I'm lighting the lighter God, and then she would burst into tears.
Speaker 2: It was like the most Drew Berry Moore. Yeah, yes it is.
Speaker 3: For the scene. Roger L. Jackson, the voice of ghost Face, explained that he was outside one of the windows, crouching in the shadows and taking shelter into a canopy because it was raining outside. I was watching Drew through the window while I was on the cell phone, and I was completely miked up. It was a live conversation. My view is what the killer would have seen. It was genius and pretty horrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Craven is apparently in the killer's custum at one point, specifically when Barrymore throws the phone at him? Is that his territorial forest?
Speaker 2: Think about phone throws in this movie. Man. The other thing that's funny is he talked about how they like the whole running bit in these movies is whoever is in the assumes the ghost face Mantle becomes like an immediate klutz and it's like tripping and falling all the time. And they said that that was like so precisely choreographed because they had to walk this fine line of like, he's obviously a guy with a knife trying to kill teenage girls, but also it is funny when you throw a lamp or something at him and he does a pratfall. There's also an incredible deep cut pause for applause Halloween reference. In that opening scene, the character's father tells her mother to drive down to the Mackenzies, which is what Jamie Lee Curtis tells the kids that she's babysitting in the original film. She doesn't tell them drive, she says, go down to the Mackenzie's. But man, that is a deep cut. I got a deep cut too.
Speaker 3: Ready. When Henry Winkler opens his closet in his office to try on the screen mask, before the ghost face mask, before he gets killed. You see his black leather fawnsie jacket from Happy Days Hang in the closet. Well, it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Despite the good vibes on the set, this being a Weinstein production, they were predictably being giant soles. This was largely a Bob move, So we don't have as much horrific sexual violence, but we just have the ordinary cruelty of men with money towards artists. Bob hated the early rushes that he was seeing and started calling supervising producer Kathy Conrad, who, as I mentioned earlier, I love nitpicking details like barrymore sweater grossly saying things like shouldn't it be racier? And her Wig. Much of the cast and crew also recall an incident where Bob called Kathy Conrad and asked for Wes Craven, literally interrupting a shot. As she told Vanity Fair, Bob told him he thought Wes could do better. Wes said to me, what kind of a studio head calls a filmmaker in the middle of shooting and kicks him in the balls and expects him to work the rest of the day and do good work and researching this. It was so much meaner than that, The film's editor Patrick Lucier told the Ringer. Wes was very despondent a few days in when he was just like, Oh, the studio called up. They're very upset. They don't think it's going to be good, he said. They told him he was a TV journeyman and a hack. Executive producer Mary and Matdelena told THHR Bob actually said the shooting was workmanlike at best.
Speaker 3: Wow, wasn't it kind of a legend at this point?
Speaker 2: Like yes, he was, dude.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: Twenty minutes after that phone call, Bob called again, complaining about the killer's mask. Conrad called him on it, this time saying, you're the president of the studio. We sent you sketches of the mask. Then a few hours later she got another phone call. Bob wants Wes to continue filming, shooting each scene with four different masks until he can decide which one he wants.
Speaker 3: That's the most studio executive thing, most like higher level boss like thing i've ever heard monsters. More work for you until I make a decision that I could make right now but won't. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Dimension Studios head Carrie grinnat yes said his name, and not a typo of carry. Grant did in fact come out there and held a midnight meeting in Craven's hotel room. This is where Mike I just loved this woman. Thinking that they were about to fire Craven, Kathy Conrad unloaded on the head of the studio. Who the first do you think you're talking to? You hired a guy who created the genre, basically, and you're telling him how to make the movie. This guy's made thirty some odd movies. This is the most insulting thing I've ever seen in my entire life. Love it. Essentially, they reached a bargain where production would cut together just the opening scene and send it to New York for the Weinsteins. When this happened, Conrad monitored the situation in real time on a call with an assistant to the Weinsteins. The footage is in the office. The footage is on its way down to the screening room. The footage has reached the projection booth. The footage is being threaded. Bob is on his way down. Harvey is now with Bob. They're both seated. The lights have gone out. They're starting, I'll call you back anyway. Bob called her ten minutes later. It was over the moon. I think he said. Harvey was levitating for the theater, which may have been to drugs.
Speaker 3: May have been the Flay show he received during the screening. But I guess to his credit that too far for you? How was that too far for you?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's gross when other people would be Bob is just a person, but it's gross with the knowledge that that probably happened at some point or Bob knew about it and was like, yeah, okay. So Bob called Conrad back ten minutes later, just over the moon. He apologized, and he said production told them you can do whatever you want. There's a quote that was like the only person that could do what they wanted at Merrimx was Quentin Tarantino because of pulp fiction. But it is really gross how everyone at that studio was just like, these men are unabashed monsters, Like who's that Broadway producer who like Scott Scot a.
Speaker 3: Friend who were for Scott Rudin And then yeah, it was known at the time.
Speaker 2: These are terrible, terrible human beings like and then and then and then it was just an open secret that one of them was a horrifying sexual predator. What a nightmare industry movie magic.
Speaker 3: It is weird, and I don't know how much of this I'll keep, but like, yeah, I mean I had a really good friend who who worked for him and was like, yeah, when that ex was a came It wasn't like all of a sudden like wait, you two you too know this on It was like yeah, everybody knew. It was just it was even thirty Rocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was another thirty Rock joke where Jenna Moroney says something like she says something you remain the person who you were in certain situations. In many ways, I'm still trapped under passed out Harvey Weinstein at a Meer Max Christmas party. Oh god, that was a line in network television. Everyone was just like, who, well, it's funny, creepy Harvey, It's funny.
Speaker 3: It is the whole like notion of open secrets, you know. I mean, I remember hearing stuff about the Louis c k thing for years, and you know, and now there's this one comedian who's become a very big deal with a a show that's like basically like a like a one man show kind of deal that's supposed to be you know, first person. And I'm hearing from all kinds of multiple sources that he made it all up. It's presented as like a first person like an authentic thing, and it's a very deeply emotional forum. And it's of course widely believe that it's been completely made up. And he's won like all these awards for it and stuff, and now he's getting cast in like extremely high profile. Like, Yeah, it's weird. It's weird when there's just like too much money riding on stuff for people to speak out. It's bizarre sad anyway, speaking of masks, ooh right.
Speaker 2: And the ones we wear.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, the ghost face mask truly horrifying, like really deeply unsettling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great. Like I said, I remember seeing it just on the streets of New Cumberland, Pennsylvania and just being like, ah.
Speaker 3: I think that's what's so Like if you see it in New York, it's kind of not that scary, but seeing it in like the suburbs, there is a creepiness to it. I can't explain why.
Speaker 2: I mean, it gets at the clown thing yess like deranged in the sort of clown way. And obviously everyone's seen the Edward Moons painting at some point in their life. But you know, it just kind of goes back to the Michael Myers thing, which is like, what is the scariest thing in the world A white man, you know, just a white face that signals danger for a whole gender and several races.
Speaker 3: You know, I read somewhere on some listical thing and I couldn't like totally source it, but they wanted his like cape drapy thing to be white, but it looked a little too clanny, Yeah, so they changed that. The mask is not explicitly described in the script, and much like the iconically terrible William Shatner mask that they gave Michael Myers, this was just a standard Halloween mask that, as you mentioned, was inspired by Edward Munch's painting The Scream and a whole lineage of cartoonishly distorted faces that took its cues from it cover of King Crimsons in the Court of the Crimson King and Pink Floyd's The Wall for Starters. The ghost Face mask was designed in nineteen ninety one as part of the Fun World company's Fantastic Faces product line and was found by Kevin Williamson and executive producer Mary and Madelena while location scouting.
Speaker 2: Just in a room, just in a kid's room. They said, we took.
Speaker 3: That to production and said, riff on this, make something like this, And they must have done twenty different designs. But while fun World legally owned the design, it was a team effort from a group of talented artists. Lauren Griffins was a special effects makeup artist working in Los Angeles Tony Gardner's Altyrian Studios and recall the fangoria, the Halloween tradition amongst the special effects community, which was to throw a party to show off their stuff. I love that. That's really cute, Griffith said. My costume idea was an advanced take on the classic Halloween costume of a bed sheet with eyeholes for a ghost, which integrated a formed buckram ghost face mask with a long jaw. Buckram is a kind of stiff fabric. Tony Gardner told the magazine that during the slow period for movie work, the company decided to make a collection of Halloween masks and self market them, buying an ad in the back of Fangoria magazine.
Speaker 2: It is really amazing, like this article, like you can go in line because Fangoria has these tremendous arcads that were literally just all in fiocabinets in like New York, in one office, so they have so much of it, all of it digitized. That's but you can go back and see like these one ads and it is just a ghost face mask. It's like literally the goddamn ghost face mask. And this is why this next wort pisses me off.
Speaker 3: Oh here you you do this them.
Speaker 2: So in nineteen ninety one, Gitterns and this fellow artist at this company, Altierian Jim Usterman, drove cross country to the annual Halloween Trade Show in Chicago, which is the largest event of its kind in the US, to promote their line of masks. Within months of that show, this company called fun World had a brand new in house designer. Her name is Brigitte Slairton Leeden. Slairton Leiden, her name is Brigitte Slairton Leiden, and they just told her to copy the Altyrian designs. She explicitly told Fangoria I was given a picture of something similar to what the finished masks would eventually look like, and was asked if I thought these could be made as masks and do some drawings with a similar look and feel. So I did a bunch of sketches of different faces with that same white melty face with simplistic black facial feature shapes, and in a surprise to no one familiar with Corporate America, fun World's line of Fantastic faces, which included six masks, are all riffs on that original kind of design that was done by Aultrian. A year or two later, Gieterns told Fangoria, I was in a drug store and I saw fun World's mass produced knockoff versions of my whaler mask. Clearly it appeared to be a direct rendering of my original creation. I was a bit amused, but didn't pursue looking into it any further, as I had left that part of my life behind and was on too a new one.
Speaker 3: Years after that, one of the masks was found and picked for the movie, though Dementia Studios wanted to own the rights for their own design for merchandising purposes, which was smart and Special Facts House kN BFx was churning out designs left and right that weren't quite what they wanted Wes Craven stuck to his guns, and eventually they had to reach out the Fun World to license the rights for the mask. But the drama over credit for the masks design, though literally, played out in the pages of Fangoria magazine. Fangoria issue number one eighty nine from January two thousand interviewed the original fund World designer, writing the mask was actually designed by fun World employee Brigitte Swedish chef Sounds, prior to the movie's conception. Brigitte stated the idea was something I worked on with Alan Geller, the vice president of the company. Of the entire assortment, that face was the strongest one. A reader wrote in to bring up the original designers, and from then on, fun World literally wrote sleeve and Linder out of the story of the mask design. She no longer is mentioned on the site, and fun World now credits VP Alan Geller as the creator of the design.
Speaker 2: So to recap, yeah, she claimed credit in Fangoria, and a reader in Fangoria wrote in to correct the record and fun World Reddit someone at that company read it and when she's a loose cannon, we are taking her out of this narrative and they don't, so now it's just credit to the VP.
Speaker 3: That's sad.
Speaker 2: And then and all these original artists are cut out. This is the most popular Halloween costume in the US period for like decades, I'm sure, and all of these artists have been cut out of these massive profits. The owner of Vultarian Studios, Tony Gardner, said that when he first saw the movie, he was genuinely flattered that they had used our mass design. I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was a great compliment that the Whaler was up there on the big screen and such a great film. I was a bit naive at the time and assumed that since it had been years since we created the mask, there would be no way to fight for it. I also assumed that the movie was a one time deal and the ship had already sailed. But here's the thing. Fun World didn't register that or the phrase ghostface as a trademark until nineteen ninety six, so they had stolen these designs, failed to copyright them, and then filed the paperwork just as the movie was being made. Before these original artists had any notion that this was going to become one of the biggest horror movies of all time, and hilariously enough, the top banner of on World's website currently reads over fifty years of seasonal product fun, honesty and integrity.
Speaker 3: Wow eh, this has been the Heigel's moral stand of this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gob on my soapbox. I take my seasonal ephemera very seriously, all right?
Speaker 3: Yes, you do you love spooky season? Also?
Speaker 2: Yes, and and the sanctity of it as a pagan Celtic right.
Speaker 3: I don't think you get this up in arms about like nutcrackers or like oflf on the shelf.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, yeah, but I will paint Celtic roots in blood in the Fun World offices.
Speaker 3: I continue going ham on Easter just because of the pagan Yeah. Yeah, still Halloween though, Yeah, oh of course. Yeah. Your birthdays, everybody, Higel's birthdays coming up?
Speaker 6: Shut up?
Speaker 2: That means Jordan's birthdays coming up? No, my birthday is until Christmas. Yeah, well your birthday is next week or two.
Speaker 3: Shut up.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to deflect. Also read.
Speaker 3: The film's third act takes place entirely in an essentially abandoned house in Tomalas in Morin County. Population as of the twenty twenty Census one hundred and eighty seven. That's up there with the Buffalo Bill House right. The house they found had been built by a couple in nineteen ninety on thirty acres of land, and when they died within a month of each other, their children wanted nothing to do with it. That house was like five years old when they filmed that. That's terrifying. Production designer they died, They died real quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they built their dream house and then Super died In America.
Speaker 3: Production designer Bruce Miller explained, it just doesn't make sense that in a normal American home, murders could be happening in the upstairs bedrooms and people watching television downstairs would know about it. So the house had to be big enough and the rooms had to be separated by enough distance to convince the audience that these things could really be happening without the other people knowing about it. This particular house was perfect for that because it was very convoluted and kind of Victorian on the inside. It's like the Manson murders. There was one guy in the property who was in the little guest cottage just just away from the main house, and he lived and everyone's like, you didn't you didn't hear that. You didn't hear the screaming on the lawn and and the guns, and you hear any of that? And he said no, And then they checked like the stereo. He was like, listen, I think he was listening to the doors. Actually they checked his like stereo levels. And yeah, there's all sorts of stories about whether or not he actually heard nothing or if he just hid under his bed.
Speaker 2: For those of you who are keeping track at home, that is our Manson family tie in. Jordan has yet to work in the Beatles or the Beach Boys. Yeah that's true. Huh, I'll figure out something. I haven't done a Manson tian in a while. It's true, it's true.
Speaker 3: So this house production got it cheap and it was Craven said that the art department went in there and did an enormous number on the house. We put all sorts of beams and stained glass windows, darkened all the colors, brought out all the set dressings. It was done in a sort of farmhouse style and we changed it into a gothic farmhouse. Production also made a bunch of fake barn fronts to hide the trailers. I like that these were obviously all taken out after production the house was sold. The house was sold in twenty fourteen for whoa two point eight million dollars, although I guess it's outside of San Francisco and Zillo now estimates its value at three point five million, and you believe it currently is a wedding venue and event rental property called spring Hill Estate and does offer Scream tours for two hundred bucks a pop.
Speaker 2: So they don't call it the Scream House like they they It's called spring Hill State and I think they do just like weddings there, but there is also like a subcontracted company that does Scream tours there. And I think when they launched the movie, Airbnb did some kind of a like when they rebooted the movie, Airbnb did some kind of a tie in. I was like, come stay Stew's house from Scream. I don't have dollars two hundred dollars to drive into the middle of nowhere and like trapes around a house. I'm sorry that surprises me. I spend that money on boutique guitar pedals. Jordan Streyman, give me some free sh ah. Anyway, that final forty two minute sequence. Like fully a third of the film takes place in that house. It was hell to shoot. They did it over the course of three weeks, and to start with, the place was because of the remote location. It made lighting it with a traditional overhead rig called a condor impossible. A condor is one of those things that it's one of those things that it has like a base and that it has the extending legs out to stabilize it, and then you mount different isolated arrangements of lights on it. And the ground was simply too steep and weird to do that. So they essentially had to mount a lot of the lighting that was used for the exteriors and to get the kind of atmosphere stuff for interiors on the side of the garage. And this was costly, took time, It was less than perfect because it showed up in some shots, and so this is sad. Cinematographer Mark Irwin had worked with Craven on four films before, and he had vociferously opposed the location from the start, but this is where it gets weird. He also pushed to shoot Scream with an anamorphic lens. Anamorphic lenses as I mentioned earlier our favorite of John John carpetel anamorphic lenses are a favorite of John Carpenter. It basically distorts the image into a wider frame, and Carpenter and a lot of the Western guys that were inspired by love it because it gives you this beautiful, large, scenic, widescreen image to work with. But because it is actually distorting the image that's printed on the film, you get things like lens flares, and you get a little distortion at the ends of the sides of the screens, and some of that in the hands of a really talented cinematographer like Dean Kundy on those Carpenter films, looks really really beautiful, like you can make lens flair and do weird things with the distortion inherent in the format. But this guy, Mark Orwin and Wes Craven hadn't shot an anamorphic before. It was just something that was like, I'm gonna shoot this one an anamorphic. So this created a problem with what they call focus pulling. And feel free to skip ahead fifteen or thirty seconds if you are not interested in the most granular bit of filmmaking I have ever talked about. On this show, focus pulling is a specific part of camera operation, which doesn't mean keeping the entire shot in focus. It means keeping a specific focal point on an actor or in a location consistent as those things move within the frame. So, for example, a puller might hone in on an actor's eye during a shot, and bad focus pulling is when they would not track that as the actor moves, and then you end up with a focus point that goes from their eye to their ear or to a point in the background. That is focus pulling. And so with about three weeks to go, editor Patrick Lucier voiced concerns with the particular focus puller on Mark Irwin's team that he said had been quote.
Speaker 3: Accumulating for three films.
Speaker 2: So I remember these guys had worked Craven's team had worked together for a while, and they took the cinematographer into one of the rooms and was like, look, man, all this stuff is unusable because with bad focus pulling, that eliminates the consistency of footage that you need to edit a film together. Right, You can't edit shots together that have different focal points ostensibly within the same scene. This all track My explaining this well, yeah, okay, cool. And so one of the most famous examples of this that I think I haven't delved into whether or not it was the specific focus pooler or just the cinematographer who did this, But there's a really famous one in Requiem for a Dream is during the unbroken shot of Ellen Burston's like horrifyingly sad monologue, and there's a second where the focus pool changes, and it was because the guy working it had started crying and his tears fogged up the lens so that he couldn't see what was the lost focus for a second. Anyway, So that's your that's Hegel's nitty gritty digression.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing nasal strips right now because, as you can hear, I have a cold. But if I wasn't, you would have heard me snoring. Okay, cool, I'm saw. I'm kidding. You know, I love all this technical stuff that I don't have a magic. I love how much you love movie magic. No, I did, and that was very well told and very fast. I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: You should keep the story bitten, though it's funny.
Speaker 3: Keep it all in I always do. I never edit you for time. Well, I edit you for a fence and humor. Anyway, After screening some of the final footage, Irwin said Craven after conferring with editor Patrick Lucier, Lucier informed Erwin that all the filmed footage was unusable and that thirty five days of scenes needed to be reshot. He must have wanted to walk into the ocean. That is so bad and it all began with a scream, A wonderful making of book. Irwin alleged that he was being scapegoated for the film running behind scheduled due to an agreement Craven had at the studio that he would forfeit his salary after a certain amount of delay. Producer Kathy Conrad denies that she will defend Red Craven to the death, but either way. Erwin was replaced on the spot after the screening by Peter Deming for the final three weeks of shooting thirty five days over Oh my god. Anyway, This is all contributed to what is now referred to as quote the longest night in horror history, scene one hundred and eighteen, which had over twenty parts. Hi, I goel tell us about seeing one eighteen. This seems like something that is more you well.
Speaker 2: Cast and crew printed up T shirts that read I survived seeing one eighteen after they wrapped. So there's about That's about the scope of it. To keep blood consistent from shot to shot, they were not allowed to wash their costumes, so Nev Campbell said, I would take it off in the morning and then in the evening when I went back to work, because the continuity of the blood had to be the same. They would just wet it. They would just dampen the whole thing. I wanted to burn that costume at the end of the movie. The call sheets for these for all these days of shooting had a much more prosaic name for the scene, People Live, People Die. The final confrontation between Campbell, Lillard, and Ulrich took five days on its own. One particular moment made production literally question Wes Craven's sanity. Mary and Matdeleena said, we thought Wes went nuts because we didn't know the sofa had feathers in it, and we thought Wes was crazy to carry on with everyone covered in blood, which is really corn syrup as the feathers fall over them. Skeet Olrick told Vulture, We've got Nev pinned in the corner of the kitchen. I'm trying to hit that little heartfelt moment of my character having lost his mom and Sydney disappears and we can't find her, and I run into the living room with my knife and cut the couch open. I had so many damn feathers stuck to all that blood around the neck. We do the first take and all I can hear is Wes laughing. I look down and it looks like I have a duck on my hand. Also, that finale had a very real scare for skeet Ulric.
Speaker 3: His dad came out.
Speaker 2: Here is this on the coll sheetr McDonald.
Speaker 3: Where he was talking with like Bob Einsteiner or if he's talking with somebody who's like, yeah, I used to walk into uh, Dean Martin Street.
Speaker 7: Dean Martin at Hamburger hamlet you know everything. That's what I meant. That's where I saw him.
Speaker 6: Was it was it Hamberd, Yeah, that's where I also, we must have talked about it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, well, you know it was me at Hamberg and I.
Speaker 6: Walked in there and he had lost his son and he was my He was one of the guys that just did it like that was the guy. I looked at it and he was sitting there and he was having a martini, and I just walked over and I was twenty two, twenty three, and I just kind of stood there. I didn't want to bother him because I or maybe I was twenty four and he was just sitting there and he looked up and it was it was nice, and I just went, I found your.
Speaker 7: Son, that' said Bob Sage's better a guest.
Speaker 2: Something should do an edit where they find an old picture of Skilk's biological dad and just like put him in as a force ghost in the background like the blue Anakin Skywalker. I'm proud of you some Oh, anyway, making more fun of Sketric's childhood drama, the guy had open heart surgery when he was a kid. Oh, and he was left with a scarred area where the skin was thinner, and there was a bunch like stainless steel wire because they had to reconstruct like part of his heart. So there's stainless steel wire like under this, under this scarred area, this thinner skin that was very sensitive to the touch. And turns out havev Campbell hit him in that exact spot with an umbrella when she jumps out of the closet at him, and so his reaction to that pain is very real.
Speaker 3: Cambell recalled the difficulty of maintaining an intense level of terror for that long. How long were they shooting this five days? God? But that was helped along by Wes Craven, and the scene was skeeton. Matt went up against the counter and there to kill me. I'm about to get my strength. Wes came up and he just whispered in my ear. He said, imagine you've got a thousand bullets ricocheting through your body, and he walked away. Your fear might have been helped by how intense Alrick and Lillard were. Lillard told Vulture, we were amped, were fully torn. Bro, he really is that way. Wow. There was no doubt that we were on a fever pitch for the five days we shot the last killing sequence, we were screaming, don't see what he did there. We were in between, we were in between takes, trying to maintain that energy. Aulrick added, Courtney came to the set getting ready to shoot it, and Matt and I are like caged animals in that zone. Just pacing the set. Courtney comes in and we make eye contact, and Wes was like, Okay, all right, all right, she's freaked out and we're not even filming yet. And I distinctly remember Wes being like, all right, guys, just calm down for a second.
Speaker 2: Just like Faroly covered in blood. I can see how Crinny Cox looks at and makes eye contact with one of them was like, what the fuck did I sign up for again?
Speaker 3: These fifty gallons of fake blood on this movie? It almost sounds low and I.
Speaker 2: Say that, yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Random note about composer Marco Beltrami from his CHR part. He said Wes was looking for a composer for the movie, and I send over a demo tape. I had not seen any horror movies up to that point. I had never been affair and of the genre. When I went into meet with Wes, I remember him saying, it's funny all the demo tapes we get, everyone sounds like John Williams. You're the first one that sounds like your original Bell Trommy took the opening scene home and scored it over the weekend to secure the gig. Speaking of music, you gotta talk about my beloved Nick Cave, whose song Red Right Hand off his nineteen ninety four album with the Bad Seeds Let Love In, was used in the film alongside a host of other tunes, but it edged them all out and became the franchise's de facto theme song. Unsurprisingly, this story starts out with a long time Wes Craven collaborator, Grammy and Peabody Award winning music supervisor Ed Gerard. Gerard told Bloody Disgusting dot Com that he'd actually pitched a different Nickcave song, lover Man also Let Off Let Love In for Vampire in Brooklyn, albeit unsuccessfully. However, Scream's eventual editor, Patrick Lucier liked the album so much that he asked Gerard if he could keep it. Gerard wasn't even hired on Scream until about halfway through, and he came in and pitched Red Right Hand, which is the sort of narrative ramble of a song about this mysterious badass with the titular limb, which is a reference to John Milton's Paradise Lost, and Gerard actually gives Lucier all the credit for the song's effective use in the film. Lucier explains how the song was present basically from his very first edits. He said the two sequences where it appears the instrumental early on and the lyric into the chorus for the town shutting down, were cut in during the initial edit on both scenes. Never once was any other music present for either scene, and neither of those scenes were shown to Wes without that song present. It was serendipitous timing because Cave had released Murder Ballads, which contains his chart topping Kylie Minogue duet where the Wild Roses Grow, in February of nineteen ninety six, so his team was looking for any opportunity to prolong the exposure. When it came time to use the song again and Scream two, music supervisor Ed Gerard met with Cave. He looks at me and goes, were you the one that put that song in there? And I said yeah. He said, you know, I sat with my kids and we watched Scream, and they were impressed that my song was in that movie. They loved that movie. However, Cave felt about its continued use in Scream, he just stopped being opposed to its licensing in general, as it is also the theme song for the prestige crime. I've never watched it. Peaky Blinders. Then later Nickckave's son would take a dangerous dose of acid and fall.
Speaker 3: Off a cliff. Oh is that? How was that went down? That happened in twenty fourteen. I didn't know the acid part.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he was super tripping, very sad, very sad.
Speaker 3: Production predictably had the battle the MPAA over certain gory aspects of the film. Apparently it got sent back nine times as NC seventeen for the NPA allowed it to go out with an R. Weirdly, one of the biggest points of contention was the line movies don't create psychos, Movies make psychos more creative. Kevin Williamson told The Hollywood Reporter that was the line I had written on a note card and taped to my wall, and the whole movie was written towards that line. It came out of me watching Bob Dole, who at that time is screaming about the violence and cinema, and he was going after Quentin Tarantino for that whitty Harrelson Juliet Lewis movie Natural Born Killers editor Patrick Lucier said it's certainly the line of dialogue the NPA went after and wanted to remove from the film. It was like, you can't speak that kind of truth, that particular line of dialogue. They wanted to censor, but they don't word it that way. They just say, look at these areas, this is a problem, this and this and this and this. The film was still titled Scary Movie until late in production when the Wine Scenes insisted on rechristening it to scream which prompted a quickly settled lawsuit Sony Pictures claiming it infringed on the copyright of their nineteen ninety five movie Screamer. Most people actually hated the title, though a few did begrudgingly admit that it tied in with the Edward Munch painting the Mask resembled quite well. One maybe problem was that Bob Weinstein insisted on releasing the film on December twentieth, nineteen ninety six, two days before my ninth birthday. Bob was outam and about it, and he'd done his tracking. Producer Kathy Conrad told Vanity Fair that guy knew everything about every movie. He looked at all the competition. He did analyze those numbers. His office was like the new York Stock Exchange. He said, everyone's going to see all these other things, but there's this group of people who are being ignored. They're going to go see this movie, Scream, because it's the only one counterprogramming a horror movie. No one was thinking like that at Christmas. Bob just decided he was going to do it differently. One other brilliant part of the marketing was that the studio highly promoted Drew Barrymore as the star, priming audiences for the bait and switch when she was killed ten minutes in. Scream opened against Beavis and Butt Heead Do America, which did twenty million on its first weekend, while Scream did a mere six point three million. But the film had a slow burn, becoming more and more popular in nineteen ninety seven, eventually picking up one hundred and three million domestically against his fifteen million dollar budget, and it was something of a win for Bob Weinstein. Dimension, with five films and release that year, were responsible for about thirty seven percent of the studio's total grosses, whereas Harvey had put out thirty two pictures through Mirrimax. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of made Bob, which is interesting because there was this whole like Harvey was obviously hot for pulp fiction, but like this one was such a big win for dimension within the mier Max umbrella that it I mean, I hope he dies still, but you know. Critics were mostly positive about the film's striking tone and takes in the horror genre. Roger Ebert and Janet Maslin both raised the point though that the film's gore might have diffused its satirical points. Ebert merely posed this as an open ended musing in an otherwise positive review, though Maslin wrote with scream Craven wants things both ways, capitalizing on lurid material while undermining it with mocking humor. Not even horror fans who can answer all this film's knowing trivia questions may be fully comfortable with such an exploitative mix. This is really interesting because the Substance is a wonderful horror movie that just came out this year that is like truly a mind boggling film. It is extraordinarily beautiful, beautifully shot. Demi Moore puts in like maybe a career best performance, but it is so intensely stylized and so sledgehammering with its themes that I have been having hot conversations with people about this movie about whether or not it crosses the pose law territory. Pose law is the Internet adage that you cannot successfully produce a parody or a satire of political or religious extremism without simply making a copy of that thing.
Speaker 3: Explain.
Speaker 2: So, the idea being that certain forms of political and religious extremism are so caricatured. It's like, how do you parody Donald Trump? He's already like a singular force of comedic idiocy, right, So the idea of pose law is that, like, when you are trying taking aim at something that is so extreme and doing your parody in an extreme way, you have just produced the thing that you are parroting. Okay, does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So, I mean it's like, well, one of the.
Speaker 2: Debates one of the things that it was most frequently brought up with this on like film Twitter is Starship Troopers, where every six months someone brings up the fact that there are people out there who just fully read Starship Troopers as like a rock and movie about guns and bugs and like, yeah, America, despite the fact that it was made by a Dutch guy who has very clear memories of the Nazis and purposely dressed all of these square jawed, hot American people in SSUNI forms, and that just goes right over a lot of people's heads. And my thing with the substance is that, like, this movie takes such aim, broad aim at how women are treated in Hollywood, women's body standards, all this really pointed stuff, but it does it in a way that is so leering and on the nose that it I feel like there are people out there who would just straightforwardly read it as like a great morality tale about what happens to women if they're too obsessed with their appearance, you know. So I don't know, I've been I've been reading a lot about it, and many people are just saying, like, you are literally missing the point that is it is what it is, you know, it's that blunt in these points that it's making and these things that it's tackling, because it's forcing you to confront them in not even a particularly subtle way. So I just think it's a really interesting conversation about how you can pare it these In this case, what Maslyn and Eber brought up of, like when you're parodying something, and when you're satiring something like you know, if you look too hard at the monster, you've become monsters also, or whatever the Nietzsche quote is, but you know, you know saying.
Speaker 3: Look too far into the abyss. The aby stare too far into the abyss the abyss stairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like, how do you parody something that is so like how would you make a parody of Last House on the Left, How would you make a parody of like Devil's Rejects of like these really extreme examples of gore and stuff. It's it's without just making another gorror film, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean Sean of the Dead's a good example. I think of that too.
Speaker 2: Yes, Sean the Dead is amazing for that. Yeah, I don't know, man, maybe the British are just more onto it than us. Anyway, it would be its own episode to discuss the impact that Scream had for starters. It launched Kevin Williamson in an enormous way. He was essentially worried that the film was going to flop, so he told the ringer, I said yes to a lot of stuff before Scream even came out. Dawson's creek was happening. I know what you did last summer was happening, and they sent me this script for the faculty, like on the set of Scream. So right away you have one of the biggest teen dramas of the nineties, and then just two more of the biggest teen horror movies of the nineties and late two.
Speaker 3: Thousands created Dawson's Creek and Vampire Diaries. I didn't know that. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like the shadow of that Kevin Williamson's particular style of dialogue, as I mentioned along with Joss Whedon because Buffy the Vampire Slayer was also huge at this time and lauded as an example of how you can make compelling genre fair focused on teens. Those two men in their dialogue of like pop culture heavy, quasi meta reference y quippie dialogue is just something we are we still feel in Hollywood. And more importantly, though it launched Wes Craven back to the top of the Elder Statesman horror director pile, Scream did make an impact in negative ways too, though. In the two thousand and six murder of Cassie, Joe Stoddard, the perpetrator dressed as ghost Face and following the Columbine High School masacre. In nineteen ninety nine, the United States Senate Commerce Committee reviewed the marketing of films to youths, with Screams Opening shown as an example of negative media that could possibly have been viewed by children. Kehole, I cannot stress how much this film has also been analyzed with people with more prosgraduate degrees and impressive bylines than the two of us. So I'm going to avoid all that. It's out there, you can read it. It's tremendously ripe text. And then, obviously, the success of the original launched three more direct sequels and two recent reboots, with a third on the way. But the og is still the highest grossing and still the best. And also we don't even have time to get into all of that. I would like to pull focus there back on to Wes Craven, whose twenty fifteen death was a huge loss to both the horror community and seemingly anyone he ever worked with except the Santa Rosa School District. There's two great quotes that his editor, Patrick Lucier, gave to Hollywood reporters. Is very serious and very touching. Wes made very unique films that had a lot of integrity. He understood that these were primal stories that were important to tell, that you were offering people something scary yet letting them survive the experience. There's something about surviving on screen whoares that makes the hordes of your own life or the charals and tribulations feel less So for those couple hours you get to escape that. And the second great quote that he gave was Wes's memorial service, was that the Director's Guild of America and there's all these different people who'd worked with him over the years and family. There were all these directors who showed up for it. Michael Apdad who used to be the head of the Director's Guild, Christopher Nolan, John Landis, and Toby Hooper and all these different people spoke. But one of the best speeches was one of Wes's friends from the Audubon Society who played bird Calls. Wes would have loved it. Whoh John Lennis killed.
Speaker 3: A couple kids.
Speaker 2: And Rick Morrill. Folks, thank you for listening. This has been two terrors much stab formation, close out, Spooky Mom. I hope you had a great Halloween everyone. I'm Alex Heigel and I'm Jordan Runtalg.
Speaker 3: We'll catch you next time. Too Much Information was a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: The show's executive producers are Noel Brown and Jordan Runtalk.
Speaker 3: The show's supervising producer is Michael Alder June.
Speaker 2: The show was researched, written, and hosted by Jordan run Talk and Alex.
Speaker 3: Heigel, with original music by Seth Applebaum and the Ghost Funk Orchestra. If you like what you heard, please subscribe and leave us a review. For more podcasts on iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows