Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories.
Speaker 4: Done done, Yay, that's messed up.
Speaker 2: At SVU podcast, my name is Lisa and my name is Kara, and every week we take you into the depths of an SVU episode as well as the true crime it was based on.
Speaker 3: And we talk to a guest.
Speaker 1: Not today, but you know a lot of times we do, and we've got great guests coming up, so don't worry about that. But today it's just us and we're going to chat and listen. This is our first time talking intro wise on the pod since the election, and we don't have to dwell on it. But we're not happy. I don't think I need to tell you guys that.
Speaker 2: No, there's fear, there's dread, and then there's moments of joy on the micro level because people around me are good, you know, and yeah, there's community and art and like things, and then but also grateful that I'm not the most vulnerable right now. We have to like hold I don't know, be there for people it's a nightmare the dread hits. But oh my god, yesterday. Okay, so I'm under the weather. You might hear this me my voice, but I did go out last night and I had spots, but I wasn't touching people right like if you wanted a hug.
Speaker 3: I was like, listen, I'm feeling under the weather, like elbows, elbows.
Speaker 2: And then a comic, who I fucking hate, part of the little Nazi free speech brigade. He came to say hi, and I gave him two high fives with my germy jermy hand.
Speaker 1: You're like, actually, I've always wanted to kiss you. Get in here, buddy. Yeah, but then.
Speaker 2: He heard he actually saw me to someone else be like I'm under the weather elbow and then he took hands sanitates er out and put it on his hands. But yeah, I did it on purpose, bitch, I am a terrorist. No, And and this leads to this next thing. If you voted for our new president, we would prefer I don't know, this isn't for you.
Speaker 1: This show's up for you.
Speaker 2: You don't get to enjoy our our our work, our labor in then vote against everything we believe in with our show and the subject matter, but with the other people that listen to us. So if you want to vote for scum, go listen to kid rock Like there you know Tim Allen I think has a few movies out.
Speaker 1: You can go watch that.
Speaker 2: Like, you don't get to fucking vote against us, our rights and the people.
Speaker 3: I enjoy our ship.
Speaker 1: I know our people are feeling stressed. And if you think that this is the guy that's gonna fucking fix it, I don't know what to tell you. I don't think we're the place. I don't think we're the place for this isn't for you. Don't write a thing of Oh but you're not being tolerant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm not tolerant of your dumba fucking ass if you're if you're voting for policy that's gonna endanger human lives here, Like, go fuck yourself. You don't get to listen to our podcast. Get gone. You are not welcome. I mean you need you, Like.
Speaker 3: If he gets rid of the ACA, I lose my insurance.
Speaker 1: That's my health insurance for my family that I already say a lot for Like what am I gonna do? I'm gonna have? Like you know, it's like these are real like stresses people have and people are like, oh, but eggs. It's like, I know, there's he's he literally is hiring Elon Musk. He's hiring all these people to do jobs they don't know how to. Like that are insane. It's just so crazy.
Speaker 2: The Department of Education, Environment, FDA, health, everything is gonna be run by Bozo Claris.
Speaker 1: Kay An anti vaxer is gonna be leading like the Department of Health. Whatever.
Speaker 2: I just I'm sorry to you. Yeah, as listeners, you know, we're pissed. We want to make sure that if you voted for him, you are not wealthy come to listen to us. We do not want you here and the rest of us, you know, we're enraged. We're gonna have constant thoughts and feelings about it. But I also want to do the show that we love to do. Yeah, you know, Yeah, I don't want to ignore the dread and you know, horrors, and I hope I'm wrong about everything, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we obviously we're obviously going to use our platform to like, you know, resist as much as we can. We'll be sharing information over the next like however many years into we last or this pot or this presidency last, like we'll be sharing information on how to and resources and stuff. But and I hope everybody is doing okay out there, especially people that, yeah, this is going to affect the most directly. But unfortunately, I think people that voted for him, this is gonna affect very directly.
Speaker 3: Well that's the batligning for me.
Speaker 2: At least the people that voted for him, their lives will get worse too. And that's all I really have to cling on too, because I can't wait till your kids don't have schools to go to and there's no food on the show. At least you're you're suffering, and that's all that these people that are like, don't worry if he comes for you, I'll still fight for your rights, not me. I'll step on your fucking throat as I step over your body, Like that's.
Speaker 1: How I feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait for your life to get worse. I hope your farm goes under your crops fucking dust up. I hope your car breaking. I hope you Yeah, I hope you can never go to the doctor again. I hope the worst, and I hope the worst for all the fifteen million that decided not to vote to yeah, not only vote for him. The people that were like, I'm gonna I'm gonna make a stand, well cool, cool, Yeah, Well the.
Speaker 3: Soviet Union States of America.
Speaker 1: Here we are. RFK is gonna take the fluoride out of the water. Okay, but and we're not gonna be Andy Cohen. We're not gonna be Andy Cohen.
Speaker 2: And watch what happens live going it's a great country and it's the country I love, and half.
Speaker 3: The population's happy. I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: Alwa is that what he said?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Everyone is.
Speaker 2: I got messages from clothing browns already like cool red, Like people want, people want their jobs, people want their listeners. Because there was like a caller and watch what happens that was like, ugh, this gross country and he goes, No.
Speaker 1: America is amazing and we love it here.
Speaker 2: And like the day after the election, I mean, they're all gonna do it.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: No, Andy, they all are gonna do it.
Speaker 2: And I saw a thing online about like all this all these white women, they're all don't don't let the turfs get you, don't. Yeah, it's all it happens fast.
Speaker 1: And you know, my friend I mean, my friend who lives in La He's he's like, he's like he says he's going to Canada because he's like the training wheels are off. He's like, this is like he's gonna go around things. Because I was texting him because he's he knows like a lot. I was like, is he really gonna get rid of the ACA? Like that's my insurance? Like I'm really nervous, and she was like, I don't think he'll do He'll probably not do anything legally, like it would go around, it would circumvent legal channels. So who fucking knows. I'm just gonna like hold my nose and try to get through the next four years. I don't know how we're gonna fucking do it. And if you're one of these people that's like I come to this podcast to escape and not hear about politics, it's like, I'm sorry, this is a podcast about crimes against women and children and the justice system, and that's just intrinsically linked to politics. And you know how we fit. Our president's a rapists. Yeah, that's another thing. Our president's a rapist who almost played a part on an SVU. If you can believe that he was almost in the episode design. According to SVU inside Information, apparently, anyway, how have you been other than that, I haven't seen you in a long time? Has uh what's been going on? I mean a hard time living with these radiators. It's going to be a lot winter. It's going to be a winter. I am struggling, I am sick. I could barely breathe. I'm not sleeping through the night.
Speaker 3: Are the radiators just like trying you out? Is that the deal?
Speaker 1: Like? Because that's what I remember.
Speaker 2: Well, they're also clinging and clanging, and it's also just hot. I have the full but I can't fully open the window because it's the city streets of New York in the morning.
Speaker 3: But my air conditioners on, all the fans are on.
Speaker 2: My window is fully open at all times, and it is just blasting heat. I am sick, I'm coughing, and I if you've never lived in New York City, this is just a thing we have to deal with. Is that a lot of the buildings there is no little thermostat on your wall that tells you what can like, what temperature you want to make it. It's literally just heat when it wants to be heat and then it's not.
Speaker 1: So that was how my apartment was too, and it was and there's not very many like tips. There's just like put a towel and are a blanket on it. And I'm like, okay, that literally sounds like a fire hazard of some kind too. I don't want you to do that.
Speaker 2: I know they're like, just put a wet towel on. I'm like, won't. It's sizzle. I mean, I'm lucky to have a way.
Speaker 1: I'm worried about you in a boiling hot apartment with bracelet glue, just like working on your racelesson getting poisoned.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: Casey Muskraves is this week, Taylor Swift's next week. I wish I got to enjoy the Swift concert with like a different type of prevent presidency.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: So funny that it's already November because we were someone was talking about the you know, the Paul Tyson fight and I was like, wait, what, No, that's in November and they're like it's no Vember?
Speaker 1: No, what what? I can't believe it. I was like, oh, Lisa's not going at Taylor for like a month, Like I completely what's the date again?
Speaker 2: The twenty first, and then my show's the twenty second, So if you guys can come November twenty second, Yes, you can see me do comedy.
Speaker 3: You see Lisa at the Royal.
Speaker 1: If you go to That's Messed Up Live, or you go to Lisa's Instagram, you can see, like on Lat's Mess Up Live, it says Lisa's website and it's or Lisa's Instagram and that has like the link tree to all the tickets. But that's where you guys saw us. That's a great venue. Go check it out and it'll be the day after, so you'll have all your stories from the concert, right, yeah, and hopefully my voice, but I all, yeah, I'm it's really excited. It's nearing and nearing and you have the outfit. I placed my vote. I did vote in the poll. Yeah, I won't go the floral one. People like the floral Yeah, that's what I voted for me. Yeah, people like it.
Speaker 2: It's the most like in theme and I could wear my glitter one the next day.
Speaker 1: And I just think it's gonna pop in pictures. It's gonna be like those are your pictures from it? Like, you know, I think it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: And Julia is wearing like a black sea through reputation style things, so we could both be in black.
Speaker 1: And be a little bit well.
Speaker 2: It's like the flowers from her piano from her surprise song.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, okay, sick.
Speaker 2: And then it's also a nod like copy dupe of her Grammy dress in the folklore era. Got it okay, So that's what that is. But she dropped her holiday collection today. I will not be buying it, do not worry.
Speaker 1: Wait, but speaking of a holiday collection, we don't have a collection, but we have one item in our shop. We have that's messed Up holiday ornament. It's very cute. It's like our little logo and it says, hope your holidays are messed up you guys. You should get it for your tree, for your hanka bush, for your office. And it's available at our store, which you can you know, click on through our Instagram or shop our merch at that's messed Up live dot com. And yeah, just wanted to shout out the shout out the ornament, but also, yeah, the holidays are coming up, guys. Shop all of our stuff. We got a lot of do have children detective stuff. We've still got a few purple sweatshirts available. The fanny packs are on sale.
Speaker 3: We got stuff. Get on there. Get shopping.
Speaker 1: Also a big life milestone for me as I did go to Medieval Times for the first time.
Speaker 2: What did you get? Because you can't eat a turkey leg? What do they give you meal?
Speaker 1: No? They So I took Rosie I was. I was a chaperone on a rosy field trip to medieval Times, which some of the parents in the group. In our group chat were like why and I was like, I don't know, It's just fun, like just let it go. So we took them to medieval Times on a bus and I got my meal was like fruit and apasta salad with veggies that that I thought was, I mean, pretty good for medieval Times. A lot of the kids did not want the food. They just like, I think, eating with their hands and like just ripping apart at chicken. They're only five, you know, they were kind of like what. But some were really going to town on it and having a blast. But they were mesmerized by the performance. I mean like they loved it. They were loving it, and I was only vaguely tuning into like the story of like oh, the night has to fight for me because of blah blah blah, because I was helping so many kids like open packages and open water bottles and stuff. But they did like a whole thing about social media where they were like, I don't have a device that sends magic communications and pretending like they didn't know what it was. But then the whole lesson was like, if you use social media, don't spread rumors, like make sure that you're not like spreading misinformation. Like if you get if you see something, just make sure you fact check it. Like that seemed to be the message at medieval times, and that was really making me laugh, especially because five year olds they had no fucking idea. But there were all aged kids there. It's a real shit show there in the middle of the day. It's just a billion children and screaming, and they're like, if you've got a yellow car, to go over there, if your card is green, go over there.
Speaker 3: Like it's crazy, but you know, we had a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I only went once.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went once, and I remember I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Oh and some of those nights could get it. There were some hot nights. I mean, like we're in La so I'm sure some of them are like trying to be actors and aren't hot. It was it was cute. I caught a carnation from one of them. Rosie and I were like holding our hands up when he was throwing carnations and he threw one right at us. We caught it, gave it to Rosie. Wow, I unlike, unlike, what was that? Did you see some fuck? Uh? I know we're a little bit past, like the big baseball season and all, like the World Series stuff, but like those fans that just ripped a baseball out of the player's mitt, Yeah, of course I saw that. Like just people are it's psychotic. It's psychotic.
Speaker 2: And what's crazy is the guy that did that with the Cubs like twenty years ago truly had to go into witness protection, like if they were got him apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah Bart something.
Speaker 3: I was like, is it Bart may On or something?
Speaker 1: But I mean enemy number one And now.
Speaker 2: People are like yeah, so it's kind of but it's disgusting and I'm glad that they lost, like because there was two like the beginning of the series. Someone just caught it and it was kind of like an axe maybe not like it was a little rough and tumble, but not And then the second time it was like they were one of them was opening this man like.
Speaker 1: This guy's glove. It was abuse, Like they should be banned for life. It was.
Speaker 2: It was really insane. Honestly, Yeah, it's it's well level at all. Well, also, I caught that on the internet. Also, I'm in the middle of a bit of a situation myself on the Internet where I'm waking up every single morning to fifty comments from people telling me that I look like Gail from Bob's Burgers, because well, no, first of all, like so just for contact everybody, I went on my friend Steph Tolev's podcast called Steph Infection, and she's like, does anyone ever tell you look like someone from Bob's Burgers? And I go, yeah, I get Linda a lot because people say I have like Linda energy or whatever, and I kind of style my hair where it flips on the bottom or whatever, and so I've gotten Linda f YOUTI have.
Speaker 3: She goes, are you kidding? You look like Gail?
Speaker 1: And then I know the show vaguely, so I knew who Gail was, but like she whips out a picture and it's just like a woman with a chin that goes right into a neck, which is so insulting, and so I like fake, I'm fake yelling at my friend. I'm like, oh my god, this is what you fucking think of me, like I'm yelling at her. And then obviously the clip is funny. I look like I'm getting really reled up. I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not upset. Do I think I look like Gail? Not really? I asked my children. They said no.
Speaker 1: But like I'm yelling at Steph to just be funny on the podcast, and everyone's like, she's so pressed, she's so mad.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this is so Gail.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, you know what, I'm fine with the comments, except the ones that are going it's the fact that she has no jawline.
Speaker 3: I'm like, stop, it's so mean.
Speaker 1: Don't say I have no jaw line. I think I actually have a pretty big chit.
Speaker 3: I've been really sensitivebout my chin my whole life.
Speaker 1: It's very big. But they think it just blends right into my neck and that I have bangs and that I talk like I'm from the Midwest, because Gail talks like, you know, right, isn't she like Linda bab like she talks like a Midwest person and how does Linda. But Linda's more New Yorky. I think Linda's more well, she's a little bit bob but like she's like, oh, what do you guys do in where we go? When I don't know, maybe I'm just making these sound exactly the same Casey's nodding.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you know, I love.
Speaker 1: John Roberts, I love the guy who voices Linda, and I love Megan Malally Like it's not, uh, I'm not. It's just to wake up every morning and have everybody telling you that you look like this fucking dorky looking character. But I think she's a beloved character. So I'm trying not to take it too personally. But it has like.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like creeping up on a million views, like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Like people just love seeing people get mad on the internet, and I think everybody thinks I'm super pissed in the video, so they're all just like, wait.
Speaker 3: Are you paying attention to the chicken fry?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I heard about this on who Weekly, you know, my my source for all like C lists celebrity and I just don't know who these people are. He's a country singer. She's Ariana chicken Fry. What I just read that? Yeah, saw that they are Brianna. Sorry, sorry I read You know, chicken Fry is not her name. Someone just her legs look like chicken fries and then chicken fries. Yes, and and she's like a beautiful girl. I'm like, wow, if I can, if she can just be called chicken Fry, now, I guess I can be Gail, you know whatever. We all just have to we have to be what the internet calls us. But but like what happened, like because when I had listened to the episode on Weekly, it was so new in the breakup that they had just sort of both posted it and you couldn't tell who was at fault or whatever.
Speaker 3: Is there more gossip to it or what?
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's goss Okay, Like, if she was my friend, I'd probably go to her house, take her phone and say why don't we why don't we.
Speaker 3: Go up stake for a couple of days?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I would.
Speaker 1: If I was a good friend of hers, I'd be like, honey, let's not let's stop going on live. You know, I think I'd be there for her. Oh, I believe her. I think he was probably abusive.
Speaker 2: He emotionally control it like it was, you know, ruined everything. So basically, she has a podcast with one of the scum of the earth, Dave Portnoy. Even though I love Peaches, he did vote for Trump and go for herself, so and he's barstool. I don't know why I thought I was, but I was mesmerized by Peaches. I do love this dog, and so miss Peaches my bad. So Brianna, this other young guy and Dave Portnoy have like a bff's podcast, and so she did an episode of this podcast kind of talking about the breakoup because they broke up and then he posted about it right away online and without any warning to her, right, and so she just kind of opened up and was like, yeah, the night of the Grammy or the Golden Globes, he's texting me you look like shit, You're like a slut. I can't believe I'm dating someone that looks like you, like all this mean stuff, but then posting gorgeous photos of her, going wow, look at my beautiful girlfriend.
Speaker 1: And so there's just a.
Speaker 2: Lot of like and people that listen all the time, are like, yeah, she has lost a lot of weight and looked more stressed than on edge, and I was emotionally abused. I know what this is like, someone controlling and ruining your life and wanting to change you.
Speaker 3: And so I think he probably cheated on her.
Speaker 2: She gave him everything she had and he kind of treated her like shit, and she's a shame that she stayed with someone like that. But because of her erratic online behavior and talking so much about it, and because she's a woman, there's obviously tons of people that are like, you're the crazy one now, bitch, don't you know?
Speaker 1: We don't care.
Speaker 2: And so but Zack Bryan's getting roasted, like people are speaking out against him and they hate him, and.
Speaker 3: So like, I'm not So that's all I know.
Speaker 1: But now the other layer is that Zach Bryan offered her twelve million dollars to sign an NDA and two properties, and she turned it down because other of his exes have done it.
Speaker 3: And she goes, I can make my own money.
Speaker 2: I don't want to have control over me, and like forever he would have this over me and I can't speak and it's like my voice. Yeah, but her best friend, this girl Grace. They have a podcast together. I don't know if it's still going on or if there was a rift or what, but like they're these best friends, and people are saying, since she's not speaking, maybe she took the money and signed an NDA, like the best friend.
Speaker 1: Oh shit.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of a rumor too. But yeah, so that's why because it was like twelve million dollars. So people are like, oh my god, she didn't sign the NDA.
Speaker 1: Damn. I'm just looking at him. I don't like the look of this guy. I don't like the life. He looks like a purp on SVU or something. Yeah, like no East gross. Yeah. Yeah, And I'm sure.
Speaker 2: She was excited to date him and they had something and you know, patterns and shit like I don't really know, but I would be like, let's let's take a trip if she was my friend. But I don't know if Grace signed a thing.
Speaker 1: Or what, like I take the focus off, let's stop focusing on this and maybe go to OHI or something. Yeah, I hear you, damn.
Speaker 2: But you're allowed to fucking get dumped and go crazy online, like allowed to process, okay, process things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I hope she has a good friend right now it feels like maybe not.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so I don't know what's going on with this friendship because they've started touring kind of separate and doing separate things, and like I don't I don't really know. But I saw them together at the Tom Brady Roast whenever that was in May. Oh yeah, yeah, so I don't know, kind of like I I just uh, that's all.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm still I'm still about all about Moodang, you know what I mean, Like I still am looking at like twenty to forty photos of Moodang a day.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: That's that's what's keeping me going.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, though, this is circling back. I'm glad. I'm not glad that you're not feeling good and have a cold, but I'm sort of glad that it's happening now so you'll be totally healthy by next week for the big knock yeah yeah, knock on wood.
Speaker 3: You know it's like you just have to sleep. It's annoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And I know you're and I guess I'm the go Yeah, let's sorright, we gotta see. Yeah, let's start that one of my favorites, one of my favorites. Yeah, this is this is going back into the vault or the early season. So let's go, okay, we are doing the episode guilt.
Speaker 3: It is season three, episode eighteen, and.
Speaker 1: I like, I confuse it with yeah, but I forgot which one this was until the minute it started. I go, okay, this one, but it was like it gave me kind of the feeling of watching it anew, even though I have seen it like ten times. So it opens the cold open opens with a man walking into a train station and he greets a teen boy with a hug. Oh Sammy, good to see you. Glad you called. The teen looks like upset. He's like, something happened my mom. I think she knows, and like the minute you hear that, you're like, oh, I thought this was like an uncle or something, or an old teacher. This is not good. The grown man looks very mind open. I know I knew, we knew they were a MELA station, but the way they played at the beginning, he is like, hey, what's up. They're happy to see each other, and you're like, oh, an old coach, Like I don't know, and then grown man looks very concerned and he's like, did you say anything? And then we see Finn kind of skulking around in the background, so we know the is a bust. And then the team Clockspin, who was wearing the most obvious earpiece of all time, like, I mean Finn's earpiece, like he's got his slick back ponytail.
Speaker 3: And the earpieces like hello, it's me.
Speaker 1: And then Maloney is there ear pieces also popping, and then we cut to the oldest looking tape recorder of all time, like it looks like from the eighties when there's like a ransom like message sent and it's Alex Cabot is in another room listening to the whole conversation between the kid and the guy go down. So this kid's wearing a wire. This is a full bust. The kid's mom is also in the room with Cabbage. She looks very stressed. The adult man keeps saying, don't worry, nothing illegal happened. We're just good friends. I mean yuck, And then back to the station live in montre there as well, watching from afar. This kid is getting more pressure. Is he's seasoned? He's seasoned, Yes, he knows Durindez. Say it, well, say it and write it. Regret it?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, say it, forget it, write it, regret it.
Speaker 1: So this guy is like, you know, just like we're good baby, no worries, and then the teen is just getting more and more stressed, and finally he tells the guy run and he's like huh and he's like they're listening. Run.
Speaker 3: So then there's a chase in the train station.
Speaker 1: This guy avoids all the cops like somehow, he's like random people are getting taken down, and then Finn cuts him off and totally grabs him, which is very fun and exciting little chase, and then they haul this guy off lives like what the fuck just happened? And Craigan, Cabot and the mom they must have been literally in a room right off of the train station because now they're there and they're like the kid warned him, and the mom is like, you did good, and it's like, no, you told a pedophile to run, So I mean, it's like, I don't want a victim blame, but you did not do amazing, sweetie. And then Cabot's like, you guys, it wasn't enough. And that's the credits, So already, what's happening where I'm intrigued.
Speaker 3: In cement room bars now with this man.
Speaker 1: His name is Roy Barnett and his lawyer is Roger crest Or, a shark played by the late great net Eisenberg. Bent's and his table are trying to get him to talk and trying to bluff that everything he said on the tape is incriminating, but like this guy kind of knows what's up, and he's We find out that this guy's been bringing Sam kavanaughf this team to his apartment for four years. I'm molesting him and the guy's like no, no, no, no, He's a troubled teen. He makes stuff up to see what will happen. And they're like how howe yes, yeah, you said the exact same thing about another boy in nineteen eighty five and then another boy in nineteen ninety and it's like you always know those are just the ones that he's getting caught for, you know. And he says he spends time with Sam because he feels bad for him. He needs a father figure, boys need to talk to a man, et cetera, et cetera. He's just like I just feel so responsible and like, I have to help teens.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is about me. I'm just such a good guy.
Speaker 1: And he claims that these incidents in nineteen eighty five and nineteen ninety were like misunderstanding whatever, but he did serve time for them and had like a parole officer and everything. So on the other side of the glass watching this interrogation is Cabot, Daddy, Craigan, and Huang. They all know this guy is putting on an act. They're like the Oscar goes to this fucking perve. Cabot and Craigan don't understand why the boy has been working with them for a month and then still chose to sabotage the whole operation. And Wong says, because part of Sam cares for this guy. I mean he's been four years. Sam told his mom about the abuse, but the mom is the one who called the cops. Like Sam is kind of protecting this guy because it is a man in his mind who he loves and who loves him. And Cabot's like, whatever, we don't have a case. Craigan's like, we got to get the kid to testify. And he's like, Huong, you talk to him find out where his head is. And Huong's like, ah, victims this kid's age think because their assailant is male, they're worried that they might be gay, and my present might be presents might be seen as an accusation.
Speaker 3: And I always wonder if he's saying that.
Speaker 1: Because he's gay or just because he's a man and they think a woman should talk to him.
Speaker 3: I think because I don't think he's come out at this point.
Speaker 2: No, they didn't even think. They didn't even think about that, you know, because yeah, when B. D. Wong was on, he said it, it was kind of annoying. He felt like they shoehorned it in, right, right, I don't. Yeah, but it is Neil Bear so.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, Okay, so it could be a subtle hint, Yeah, who knows. But Huang goes, listen, remember that this kid thinks this whole thing is his fault, and the hardest part is going to be convincing him that he's wrong. So now Cabot goes to talk to Sam and she's like, you know, love Cabot, gorgeous, very competent, not the warmest woman in the world to like really go heart to heart with a teen, you know, like, and she's like no, you're like sorry, the law's the lot and the child is going to prison. Yeah yeah, and she's like I'm sorry you had to go through this. Like she's just very like you know, dead pan, and she's like and no one is mad at you for telling him what happened. And he's like, yeah, right, you guys are pissed. I blew it like I know you're mad. And Cabot's like, no, no, it's okay to care about what happens to him. None of this is your fault. And his immediate reaction is to clarify I'm not gay, I have a girlfriend, and Cabot's like okay, and then he starts screaming like I'm not a slur. I want to go home, Like he's said a slur a couple times, like he's very concerned that that's what she thinks. And then he runs out and his mom is there with the entire squad and he wants to leave, and the mom's like, okay, we're done here. We tried to help you guys out, We're done, Like this is over. She's like I cannot put him through this whole thing again. It's just not going to happen. And they're like, Okay, well, Barnett's gonna get out and of jail tomorrow. We don't have much time. Kragan's like track down Barnett's court mandated therapist from his earlier charges, which I don't know why the guy's allowed to talk to them, but I'll get into that. Stable's like, we got to get into his apartment. Guys like this collect mementos and you know, keepsakes from their crimes.
Speaker 3: Do we have cause for a warrant?
Speaker 1: And Cabot goes plenty and I'm like, why wasn't this done immediately after the accusation was filed, Like why, Like they've been serving this guy for a month, but he was accused. Why wouldn't that be enough for a warrant? I guess maybe because it's like he said, he said, he said. I don't know. But at Barnett's apartment, it turns out Stabler was wrong. They cannot find any stuff from this guy's victims. Just a ton of hetero adult porn. It's like, as they say in the episode, it's a teen boy paradise, but nothing is illegal. So now we're at teru and friend of the pod at Ruben Morales is Joel de la Fuente is there and he's like, uh, this computer is like two hundred gigs and it's like one hundred and ninety nine gigs are porn, but nothing with kids, he says. He's like, it also looks like this guy clears out his hard drive daily and uses a scrubbing software shifts at all. No normal normal you need to get the old porn out and get the new porn in. You know, you got to clear every day. So this guy's using like a pretty high tech scrubbing software, so they can't even find the deleted images. You know. It's like always like, oh no, it's in there somewhere. You just got to find a nerd to find it for you. No, this guy uses the software, so it's gone. He said, if you gave me six months and fifty K and an electron microscope, I might be able to find something. But there's also no guarantees, so we're not giving you all that stuff. Sorry about that, Morales. So Finn and Munch are now talking to this therapist who I don't know, I guess is just allowed to say whatever because the guy is a criminal. He's just like kind of telling them. It seems like it'll be privileged, but he's just like, Okay, I'm an open book. And he's like Barnett was one of the most gifted liars I've ever met, Like he fooled everyone into thinking he was cured, but I could tell it was an act. And the therapist is like, oh, he just loved listening to the other sex offenders disclose their crimes like this guy. Oh maybe because it's parole group, it's not the same as a therapist. Oh okay, Okay, that's just a guess.
Speaker 3: That's just a guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could be to other episodes, because I feel like those guys always talk.
Speaker 1: I remember them they were looking for Yeah, but then there's like women that are like that run victim groups that are like I can't say anything or no one will come to our victim groups. But I guess this is different because they're assailants. So yeah, like that was just that's just some ethics and not like ethical, right right, Yeah, that's probably it. So he goes guys like this, The shrink goes guys like this are why I left this prison system and started teaching. At one point, he says, Barnett admitted to molesting over one hundred boys. But like, I don't get why you didn't have to disclose that, Like that's a crime. You would have had to say. But I guess again, he's like a prison therapist. Probably hears about crimes all the time. They're like, oh, any names, dates or places, and they're like, no, he's smart, Like he's too smart for that. He's more calculating than your average pedophile. He's a true predator, unrepentant and unstoppable, and no amount of therapy will change him. Yikes.
Speaker 3: Scary.
Speaker 1: So next that's I think they lay that out for you so that it kind of excuses why Cabot is like going to the ends of the earth in this episode. So next scene, we've got Bureau chief Elizabeth Donnelly in her first ever appearance on SVU. This is her first moment, her first episode episode, the episode Guilt is first. She's a bitch from moment one. I mean they hit the ground running, sure, like, yeah, they never liked each other, but I guess there's respect, but like, no nonsense from the get go. Have you heard all this stuff that Judith Light, Like, I know we've I've read the thing about how she told Stephanie Marsh like, you don't need to have kids, like you can have a perfectly great life without kids. But she also lives I think, on an opposite coast from her husband, like her and her husband lived in live ins suppert homes, and she's like, that's how marriage works for me, babies, and that's how I do it. We've been happily married for decades, and I just think Judith Light is the shit and if anyone knows her, we need her, we want her. She's laying into Cabot, like you guys don't have shit. How much more time and how many more resources are you gonna waste on this? And Cabot's like, this guy's smart, but I know we can get him. And Donaldy's like, I had your job for ten years. None of these guys are Rhodes scholars. And then Cabot's like, well, you pled this guy down when you had my job, and Donaldy's like, how dare you? Like her face is like it was a first offense and there was no evidence, but let's compare records. Sure, and then she's like shitting on Cabot for this being a slam dunk and how Cabot totally blew it. I don't get how Cabot gets a lot, a lot of shit in this episode. Wait, how did cabt blow it? I know you're projecting you blew it. Yeah, we set this guy up for a meet at a busy train station. We did a lot. But Cabot is now at the Kavanaugh apartment, Sam's apartment, trying to convince his mom to get back on board. She She's like, I want to make Barnett paid for what he did. He's going to keep doing this if we don't get him, and the mom tries to argue, but Cabot eventually like brings her around, and she walks over to Sam, who's been within ear shot of the entire conversation. I mean, he knows what she's about to ask him. And she's like, I know this is so hard. It's my fault. I'll never forgive myself for letting that man get near you. You tell me what you want to do, and I'll let this lady go. I'll tell her to get out of here. You just tell me, and whatever you want to do, we'll do it. Like the mom, this is actually like such a lovely scene between the mom and the sun. It always this is like very touching to me. And then Sam goes, I'll do it. I'll do the trial. So he wants to, you know, I hopefully he wants to make this guy. Put this guy away so we can't do each other kids. Sam is now outside the courtroom with Stabler. Stable's trying to like relax his nerves, like tell him about how, oh I've my first time testifying. I fucked up before testifying, blah blah blah. And he's like, is Roy going to be in there? And Maloney says, no, not while you're testifying. You never have to see him, and he goes, I don't care. But it's like I think you probably do care. But it's because this is a grand jury, he doesn't actually have to face him. And Stabler's like, no one thinks this is easy for you. This takes guts and courage and when you're a man, you got to do hard stuff and that's what you're doing. So he's Stable's really trying to play into this guy's like you know, father figure issues his you know his you're straight, you're a man, we get it. You're good and so now it's time for grand jury. Sam says, the first time Barnett made him feel uncomfortable, he was twelve years old. Ugh. He was at Barnett's home. They were hanging out. He gave him a beer. He started showing me stuff, magazines, pictures of girls. He talked about how guys like to look at this stuff because it feels good and it's not bad to do it. And the kid's getting very choked up describing it. He's like, he says. Barnett says, I can show you how to do it because I'm older and all guys do this and you could be a man just like me. And you know, it's like it's what we've seen like time and time again on this show. It's like hang out buddies, father Figure, give him a little bit of booze, show him some porn, and then you know, go into the illegal activities. Afterward, Cabot is walking with Sam and his mom and she's like villaandite quickly like don't worry, and then Stabler goes, Sam, you did great. They're about to leave, when, of course, good old SVU Logistics Barnett shows up in the hallway, makes prolonged eye contact with Sam. Stablers like keep walking dirt bag. This guy smirks, we hate him. Then suddenly I actually had to rewatch it twice because I couldn't tell if it was Sam doing it. But it's another dude out of nowhere who just lunges at Barnett knocks Cabot to the ground, and he goes, burn in hell, you six son of a bitch. You ruined my life.
Speaker 3: So who's this?
Speaker 1: So now we're talking to this dude in the woodblind's room with Benson and Stabler, and he's saying, I thought I was over it, but then I saw Barnett on the news. It all came flooding back to me. It started when I was eleven. He coached my baseball team and he picked out, you know, special kids for extra practice, and he goes, there were a few kids who just stopped going or moved, but I kept going back for five years. Eventually, you have to admit that you keep going back by choice, like I could have stopped. And Stabler's like, I don't care if he was ten years he took away your choice, like the minute he touched you, and he goes, I got older and he told me to stop coming around, told me to bring my friends, my younger friends, whose fault is that? And they're like, still Barnett's fault, like not yours, and they're like, we want names of other victims. But he's like it was a long time ago. He wants to press charges now, but sadly, he's twenty seven and the statute of limitations has expired. He has to have reported the abuse within five years of his eighteenth birthday, which I think we've covered.
Speaker 3: This has changed, but so that's it.
Speaker 1: The guy says, he's like I waited too long and he gets away with it. Ugh, really heartbreaking because it's like you had to do it by twenty three. He is twenty seven, like he's only four years past it, and it's just like how arbitrary is it? Like just that amount of time.
Speaker 3: So now Kresler is.
Speaker 1: Telling Cabot that don't worry, my client wont press charges about the assaults of this guy like lunging at him, and Cabot's like, how generous, considering he doesn't have a scratch on him, And Kresler's like, let's discuss a deal, and he goes, we'll do custodial interference too. I don't even know what that means, but that means like you try to get involved with try to parent somebody without being asked.
Speaker 3: I've never heard that charge, I don't think.
Speaker 1: And then she's like, lol, a misdemeanor instead of three felony indictments. Get out of here. She basically tells him to fuck write off. And she's like, why don't you tell your guy to plead guilty and save us all a lot of time? And she hates Kressler. She's like, he's worse than the pedophile. He's hoping the victim is too traumatized to testify, and she's lucky she didn't. He's lucky she didn't kick his teeth down his throat. Creigan was like, sign me up to see more of that, please, And then back at the squad room, Benson has a list of names that this twenty seven year old guy whose name is Tommy priorre another fucking Tommy. Oh oh my god, Like, I know there's a listener that's keeping a list, and I hope you have this one on the list. It's so nots how many Tommies there are. It really is now that it's been pointed out, I can never unsee it. Cabot goes, well, that could help us establish a pattern of behavior, but the statute of limitations has probably expired on all of these. Did Sam maybe ever refer any friends to Barnett? Like, cause Sam was getting up on sixteen years old, and so you know it's possible Barnett wanted him to bring younger friends around, So let's go check with him. Cabot's now at Sam's place, like working on a trial prep with him over some takeout, and she goes, you got I answered directly short answers. Barnett will be there but he can't talk to you, and he's like how long is it going to take? And she's like, I'll try to make it as quick as possible, but we don't really know. And Cabot then starts to gently try to like fish for other names, and Sam's like, yeah, I think there were other boys. Roy kept telling him that he was getting older soon and he wouldn't want to quote unquote be his friend anymore. And so Sam's like telling this story to Cabot. He goes, one time he picked me up early from school. We went to the piers we took one of those tour boats that goes all around the city. It was freezing and I didn't have a jacket. He gave me his coat. I'd never seen the city all lit up at night like that before. Then he just bought me a burger and took me home. He didn't even try anything, and he goes, that was one of the best times I ever had. How sick is that? And It's like, no, it's like textbook. He's like giving you a perfect afternoon with dad so that the next time he can do whatever he wants, you know. And Cabbot goes, that's what he wanted to make you like him because he knew what he was doing was wrong. And Sam's like, so he didn't really like me. You can tell that. That's kind of like sad for him. And Cabbot just kind of looks at him and he's like, yeah, no, that's what I thought. And I'm just like noticing now that Cabot has like a little band aid on the side of her head from the scuffle at the courthouse, and it is oh wow, and yeah, it's like she hit the floor and it's like this little beet poop. And then Sam leaves and he's like, I'll get a cab home, and then cut.
Speaker 3: To a landline ringing in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: It's a rare glimpse of Alex's Cabot at home, in her natural habitat She's just in bed in the middle of the night. She answers the phone and goes, oh my God. Cuts to her at the hospital, Benson and Stabler fill her in. Sam sadly tried to take his own life. He asphyxiated by combining his anti depresence and aspirin. Not sure how long he had stopped breathing, but he is still alive. Sam's mom shows up glaring at Cabot, telling her to get out.
Speaker 3: She lunges at her. Are you happy now?
Speaker 1: Stabler's like holding the mom back, and Benson kind of shuffles Cabot out of their Cabot looks very shook and the mom is like, all right, get off of me, like makes Stabler leckover. But it is just kind of wild that Cabot's getting all the shit when it's like, lady, you went to your son and you said, what do you want to do? We'll do whatever you want to do. When he chose to do it, and Cabot's just been trying to coach him, to help it, make it easy.
Speaker 3: But she's the scapegoat. She's the one everybody's mad at.
Speaker 1: So at the squadroom, everyone's still in their outfits from the hospital. Craigan has the like the report that he suffered from hypoxia which led to cardiac arrest. He's on a respirator, there is brain activity. He could wake up, but no one knows how much brain damage was done. It's one of those things where they just have no idea how much how bad it is. There was no note. Cabot looks despondent, and Craigan is like, this kid had problems way before you, and then she interrupts. She's like, dump the phones. I want to know if Barnett made contact. And Munch is like, already did it, babe. And it turns out Sam made a fifteen second call to Barnett's house around midnight. Fifteen seconds, and they're like, are you going for coercion? It's going to be kind of tough to prove that fifteen second call that the victim initiated, but he could have given Sam the idea to take his own life, and Kraigan's like, I want to crucify this guy. Sabler goes, we got one hit off of Tommy Priori's list. The guy's name is Benjamin Tucker, but bad news. He's in Sing Sing convicted of molesting eight year old girls. So not a perfect victim another or not that there is, but you know the cop see it that way. Cabots like set up the meeting. I got to save this case. Kresler filed a motion to dismiss, so fuck now. She's in chambers with Petrovski and the late Great Joanna Merlin, and Kresler is arguing that the completing witnesses incapacitated prosecution cannot meet its burden of proof, and Cabot's like, it's been twelve hours, he's not dead. This is premature, and Kresler's being Kressler, and Petrovski's like, dude, it's really not cute how gleeful you are about this tragedy, Like, let's.
Speaker 3: Kill the enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: I loved that line. Yeah, what a dick. This was an episode that we tried to get her full We tried to get Joanna Merlin for this episode, and she wrote us back and said, this sounds like a real like, this sounds like a lot of fun. But she passed like she liked the idea of the podcast, and then she passed on doing the podcast, and then she did pass away like months later or so I can understand why. Maybe she didn't want to spend her the last months of her life doing a podcast. But we love her so much. But Petrowski says, this guy does have a right to a speedy trial. Cabot like, I'll give you three days. And Cabot's like, well, what about the grand jury testimony? Can't that be readitt trial? And Kressler's like, well, he wasn't cross examined. My client has a right to confront his accuser. Cabot ret references people versus Garassi. When a witness has been intimidated by a defendant, you can use grand jury testimony, which we've seen before. We've seen grand jury testimony when people have been like murdered or like, you know.
Speaker 2: She argues and it's not the testimony. But I always think of the Narda Leia episode where the girls like her dying declaration and the oh yes exactly.
Speaker 1: When she has like sepsis so habit's arguing it. But Petrov so many good episodes of the show.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, I know so many we haven't even touched yet.
Speaker 1: Cabbot tries to argue, but Petrovsky's like, bitch your bootstrapping. The grand jury testimony is out. Cabot begs, but Petrovsky is like, three days, babe, or I throw it out. And then now we're at Sing Sing talking to Benjamin Tucker, and this is Lee Pace, who is the actor from Body's Body's Bodies. I only started to know about him because Evan ross Katz is obsessed and posts him all the time. Is like, because he's like six foot four, he's very like hot and tall, gay actor, and he's been in Twilight, Hobbit, like Marvel stuff. I just don't know him from much, and I only know him from Evan ross Katz's Instagram. And this is him in a young role. And he tells Cabot, Benson, and Stabler, who are all there at Sing Sing talking to him, He's like, yeah, I started offending when I was eighteen. I had a lot of anger and self hatred because of what Roy Barnett did to me, and my parents were you know, distant, and he's like, about that kid who odeed, I could testify, and they're like, unfortunately, you have a history of lying and trying to get your sentences reduced, so it's probably not gonna happen. And they're like, well, did Roy keep any mementos?
Speaker 3: W wait, did you say this? It's Lee Pace's first credit.
Speaker 1: Oh this is oh I didn't even know that, and beize, yeah, it's his first credit, first credit. So they're like, did he keep any mementos? And he goes, I don't remember, and you know, they can kind of tell he's bullshitting, and Cabot's like, what do you want? And he's like, I want to transfer to a psych facility for sex offenders. I don't belong in prison, and he admits. He's like, I did terrible things, but now I know they were wrong, and I'm going to stay away from temptation, no schools or malls. It's like, I don't believe this guy. I don't think anybody else does either, And Cabot's like, I'll consider some like some kind of deal with you if it leads to Burnett's conviction, and that's it, Like no other deals take it or leave it right now, or I'm out of here. So he agrees. He's like, Roy is smart. He knew to never keep records. Videotapes were his weakness. He would send them to us, And I'm that seems like a big record. This is the smartest pedophile in the world. You're just sending video evidence to your victims. Like, what the fuck are we talking about here. This is a guy who's gotten away with this for years and years, Like, no mom has ever found a tape, No one's ever gone to the police with a tape. That's crazy to mail them to your victims. But I guess that's how cocky he was and how confident he was that he had these kids in like a choke hold emotionally. So Tucker's like, he definitely would have sent videos to that guy Sam, that kid like he couldn't help himself. So they go to the hospital to talk to Sam's mom. They're like, you gotta let us search your house. She's like, no, leave, Like she's literally sitting next to her comatose son, like cleaning his respirator tubes, like she's not in the mood. And she's like, you guys could have just shot him it maybe would have been better. I don't ever want to see you people ever again. So at the precinct, Cabot is pissed that they didn't get through to the mom. But it's like, girl, she hates you guys. What about Tucker. Cabot's like, fuck no, he's the worst witness ever. Stabler is needling her like, well, why don't you make him a good witness? And she gets pissy with Stabler and she's like, I try the cases that you guys give me. You don't like the evidence, go find some more. I can't do your job too. Craigan goes, you're not alone mad in this Like I have never seen her this mad. She's so mad and it's really good. Like Craigan goes, you're out of line, and she goes, I'm not out of line. And I don't work for you. You work for me, and your sole purpose is to give me a case I can proxecute, prosecute, not one I have to fix. So then Cragan does gentle parenting here, This is what I would call gentle parenting. Craigan goes, so tell us, how can we help you? What can we do to help you win this case, and Cabot like calms down, she regulates, she goes, nothing, You've done all you can, and then she just walks out. Now at trial, Cabot is requesting a continuance to gather additional evidence, and Petrovski's like, girl, like I told you three days. She dismisses the case and Cabot looks like she just got punched in the fucking gut. Now, Cabot's walking and talking with Petrowski like, I gotta get a warrant to search the Kavanaugh house and like Petrovski's like, oh cool, where are the tapes? She's like at the Kavitol House And she's like, and you've got a reliable source and she's like, well, it's a guy who's in sing sing for a sex offense. Petrovsky's like, I cannot believe you even came to me with this, Like this is wild. She's like, I can't order a search based on the dubious word of a convicted pedophile.
Speaker 3: I know, but he was also molested.
Speaker 1: Yes, because this is season three, I do think a judge, like in more current seasons, would be like Jess, because someone's incarcerated, It doesn't negate their victim status or like any information they could help with the case. You know, in fact, it's a huge part of the prison industrial complex that people reap people that are victims, offend and reoffend, and you know, it's like that's part of it. So she goes, you look like hell, Alexandra gets some sleep, So now Sailor's getting to work, and Benson's like, we got a head to the Cavanaughs. Alex must have called in a big favor to get a warrant. So now they're there at the Cavanaughs, and cab it is like telling missus Kavanaugh, your house is a crime scene. Your son's suicide attempt is being treated as an attempted homicide because it was never investigated. So it's like she's loopholing some shit. Here. The mom tries to shut the door in Cabot's face, but she stops her, and she's like, I'll take the blame for what happened to Sam, but don't let Roy Barnett get away with this, and then she the woman. The mom glares at Cabot but does let her in, and Benson asks Cabot, are there restrictions on the warrant the search warrant and Cabbot just goes, Nope, whatever you can bind. So Stabler finds a cubby hole in the back of like a shelf of Sam's closet that has a package in it with a return address that is Barnett's, and I'm like, in my mind, I'm like, this.
Speaker 3: Kid worked with the cops for a month and didn't turn this in.
Speaker 1: But then they go it's unopened, and I'm like, okay, so the guy got this package from this guy and just too traumatized, didn't open it, just hit it. But okay, they open it up, spill it out four VHS tapes, and you know it's not It's not just like some fun dizzy movies. So they show up to Barnett's home. He's mid move. Look at that someone's leaving town, and they arrest his ass. Benson and Stables show up at the squad. They're like, Barnett's in processing, let's all go do shots at Mulligans and let's celebrate, and Finn's like, not a good idea. And then this is where Finn goes Dad's mad, which I think is like a line that we love and I can't remember.
Speaker 3: I could remember it was from this episode. He goes, Dad's mad and it's really good.
Speaker 1: Craigan goes, get your asses into my office, So yeah, Dad is pissed. Craigan accuses them of searching the Kavanaugh place without consent, and they're like, we had a search warrant, and Craigan goes try again. They look stunned. Craigan's piecing it together. They're like, are you saying Cabot told you she had a warrant? Stabler goes, I don't remember, and she's like she didn't, and then Benson goes, she didn't actually say, but like she told us to meet her there, and basically the search implied she had a warrant. And Benson says Cabot was trying to protect us. The taped show Barnett with half a dozen boys. We would have never known about these boys, and k Kraigan's like, yeah, but if the judge throws them out, it's like we never did, so that's fucked. It's like, you do have to find everything the right way. In court. Kressler is now screaming to the rooftops that Cabot lied her way into the Kavanaugh's home with an illegal search, and Cabot tries, we were investigating the suicide attempt, and Petrovski is not buying it. Krestler's like, this is a Fourth Amendment violation, and Cabot argues Barnett's rights were not violated. Only Linda Kavanaugh's rights were violated. But she is not the defendant. He has no standing to contest a search of someone else's home. And Krestler's like, so what, You're like the Gestapo. You could just march into anybody's house at any time. And Petrovsky says, while I deplore the ada Cabot's actions, I have to agree with her. The illegal search of Linda Kavanaugh's home is a civil tourt. The defendant's privacy was not violated. But then Petrovski lays into Cabot, the liberties you've taken, the disdain toward the law. It's unethical and it's a just grace to your position. I will recommend your office look into your actions. And you've done yourself a disservice in my courtroom. I won't forget it. And Cabbot looks like not that bothered. She's kind of like, h okay, I'll send you a nice bottle of Scotch or something like that. Like she doesn't look that.
Speaker 3: Upset well because she got away with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Cabot tells goes out and tells Benson and Stabler the tapes are in, and she goes, well, Petrofsky acted like I killed her dog and another she goes, just add another enemy to the list. It's like, yeah, but most of your enemies are like drug dealers, not like judges that you need for Warrens. And they do go on to have a very sweet relationship, like I do think they have. Like when Cabbot comes back from witness protection, Petrofski like hates the man that like did the fake killing, right, Like she's like, that was my friend, Alex Cabot, And she tells Benson and Stabler or Cabot does She's like, you guys were never in jeopardy. I made sure it was all gonna fall on me. And they're like, you still should have told us, and Alex like, I'm sorry you were in the middle of this, but I'm not sorry about the rest of it. So cut to the arrange where they're just announcing a never ending list of charges against this scumbag Roy Burnett about all the stuff they found on the tape. It's like sodomy, coercion, it's like everything. He glares at Alex and she looks so smug and satisfied as she should. And this guy knows he's fucked, like he's probably never getting out of jail. And Sam's mom is in the gallery and so at least she got to see this guy fucking get you know, legally put away. Cut to Donnelly giving Cabot a one month suspension without pay, and she's like, that's a gift, so don't argue.
Speaker 3: Donnelly goes, Luckily, LANDA.
Speaker 1: Kavanaugh decided not to file a civil suit against you, me, the NYPD, or the city for your illegal search. Congrats on setting back civil liberties about two hundred years. She goes, well, it was her choice to let me in, like cause Cabot did stop the door. But then the woman did like just turn around and say yeah, come on in, so or like not yeah, come on in, but she didn't stop them anymore.
Speaker 3: So I don't know. It's just kind of a sneaky move.
Speaker 1: I like it. And Donnelly goes, no, you decided that for her you think that makes you passionate and righteous, and Cabot goes, I take full responsibility. She goes, of course you took it for the greater good, the safety of society. But that's bullshit. You did this for you, And Cabot's like, I did this for hundreds of Barnet's future victims, and she goes, no, you did it for one, for Sam Kavanaugh. Did it work? Did it assuade your guilt? And Alex says no, I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon, and Donnallee goes, I got news for you. It won't happen ever, and Alex looks stunned. And then that is Dick Wolf baby.
Speaker 4: Bam.
Speaker 2: All right, sad and yeah, more sadness. Oh wait, yeah, so I.
Speaker 1: Can't wait to hear the real life story. So there's two cases.
Speaker 4: Here, and there's a lot.
Speaker 2: Of overlap with the episode and all of it and both of them. So, okay, this is the Peter Dudley Albertson case. Peter met a set of brothers in nineteen eighty five while working as a counselor slash lifeguard at Monkton Summer Camp.
Speaker 1: So uh oh, camp.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't like a camp thing now, but I guess that's There's like a girl on TikTok. Her dad's an SVU detective and she has a viral TikTok where she's like things my dad did as an SVU detective and dad that you might be mad about. And one was he would never send the kids. It's like no sleepovers, no summer camp, and no going to the bathroom by herself was a kid.
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess that's this dad SVU. Guys, I'm letting my kids do all three of those already. So u oh.
Speaker 2: So it's matt and Justin Wilkie and like this dude befriended them and their parents before starting to molest the boys at his Hampton row house. The boys were eleven and nine when they met, and then the abuse began was when Justin was eleven and Matthew was thirteen, and he molested the boys for nearly two years, and he befriended the parents in such a way that they allowed the brothers to spend.
Speaker 1: Weekends with this dude. Oh ye ye.
Speaker 2: And then Matthew kept its secret for the whole two years and then finally told his mother and she reported it. And this dude was arrested in nineteen ninety on a series of crimes, and the prosecutors to make a deal dropped the charges involving Matt and most of those involving Justin, and in return, Albertson pled guilty to one count of child abuse from molesting Justin. What that's not enough? Two years of abuse? One count?
Speaker 1: Like that so fucked up?
Speaker 2: What was the deal? Why was it a deal? Oh, it gets even worse, it gets even worse. Well, they didn't they didn't want the boys to testify, so they didn't want to traumatize them more So, if this guy's, you know, pled guilty, it would be easier. But he only got three years and then five years probation. But then there were recommendations for psychologists and prosecutors in nineteen ninety and the judge suspended his three year prison term and just gave him probation and with a condition, and only one condition, stay away from Justin.
Speaker 1: And he didn't. That's so fucked Oh my god. Uh like it's like what also, I don't get why, Like, if it's kids involved in cases, why can't we just like videotape them in a room with like someone asking them a list of questions, and both sides get to write down the list of questions and that's it. And you don't have to be there in the same room with the person that did this to you, and you don't have to be like there's no reporters like for kids, Like, why can't we like do that? It seems so crazy. You can be able to confront your accuser. But the reason people choose people this young is because they know they'll be too scared.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and it's like kids don't have adult rights, so if you do that, that means you don't get the right to like see your accuser.
Speaker 3: And corps like fuck off.
Speaker 1: Ugh.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the motherfucker just got probation and some psychological help and they're like, please stay away from the kids. He violated his probation and stock Justin sent love letters. He showed up to Justin's nineteen ninety four graduation from Layola High School.
Speaker 3: He showed up in the driveway of his home his favorite hangouts.
Speaker 2: Justin was so scared that eventually Albertson would kill him for not being able to have him, So Justin was sent two videos of child abuse videos.
Speaker 1: But because this.
Speaker 2: Guy was in Germany, it counted as like a federal offense. So the Albertson was in Germany, and in May nineteen ninety five, right before the probation was going to expire, Albertson mailed a package for Justin's nineteenth birthday, and the video was so explicit, and by mailing it to the US, and it was it was a tape and a card and two letters that totaled twenty five pages. This kind of just destroyed the whole family. So within fifteen months of mailing the tape in nineteen ninety five, Justin, Matt, and their father all took their own lives and God and all in the same way, all with like cars and carbon monoxide.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the tape, I read like represented the family's inability to keep this motherfucker away. And so the father, Dawn, was fifty six. He was devastated by what happened to his son. His marriage fell apart, his ex wife moved to Florida, and then two days after Thanksgiving in nineteen ninety five, he exfixiated himself in his car and then three months later, Justin ended his life in the same way, and there was a note in the car that.
Speaker 1: Said, I hate you Pete.
Speaker 2: And that's by the Tampa Bay Times, that is who reported that quote. And August nineteen ninety six, Matt, who believed he should have done more to protect his brother, funneled carbon monoxide into his car after diving deep into a Baltimore County cornfields. The boys are I know, I know, it's not a good one. And the boy's aunt said to the Baltimore son that if this was done right to begin with, we wouldn't be here today.
Speaker 3: It's terrible.
Speaker 2: And the assistant state's Attorney, Jan m Alexander, a man. I know Jan could go the other way, but I want it to be clear. It's a man said that this has haunted him and been such a hard thing. This is to the Baltimore son, he said, I did sex crimes for six years, and you always want to try to protect the kids.
Speaker 3: This is a prosecutor's nightmare.
Speaker 1: But this is the.
Speaker 2: Same guy who thought a three year prison term in five year probation was reasonable since Albertson had no criminal pass and that the Wilke's mother didn't want her sons to testify an open court.
Speaker 1: I just don't get why the cops why he was not arrested for violating this stay away from Justin rule when he showed up at the high school graduation and he did all this shit, Like why, I don't get it.
Speaker 2: And so at this time, he then pleads guilty to violating the probation, and the Baltimore Circuit Court judge is Edward J. Angaletti, and he accepted the guilty plea, and then Albertson was sentenced to a ten year federal prison term for sending Justin the tape of child abuse videos without the possibility of parole. And that was the max was the ten years. But he's just so sick. In an open court, he told spectators in a stunned court in quotes, I loved Justin. According to the Baltimore Paper, he continued, I loved him very much. And when they told me he wasn't old enough at fourteen, I said, okay, I'll wait for him. He was like a sick He was like, he's like, no one misses him more than me, like in front of his fucking family. And then he continued, he was my family, he was my friend, he was my brother and my lover, and he made a fifteen minute statement and the judge gave the max. But then US District Judge William Nickerson called this sentence unfortunately inadequate. I agree, especially with the facts of the case. And that's to the Tampa Bay Times, And so then the judge added an extra three years to his sentence for violating the probation like a long time ago. Okay, I'm still a little too late, like fuck you and Angeletti, you should not be sitting on the bench.
Speaker 1: So and I.
Speaker 2: Feel if they're saying Judith Leif's character did something like this and the show, she shouldn't be on the fucking bench.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like disgusting. I can't.
Speaker 2: I don't know how someone molests kids for years and gets probation, Like it's so fucked up. And yeah, so you were reinstated the jail time he should have had to begin with. And then again at the Baltimore Sun, it seemed no amount of jail time would keep Albertson from abusing children. And that's a quote from the judge, And I'm like, yeah, so why would you let him go? Yeah, I couldn't find him in the sexual registry, which it seems fucked up. I should be able to see where he lives. But I did find him in the federal inmate lock look up so but he hasn't been in custody since January seventeenth, two thousand and eight, and I couldn't find an obituary either.
Speaker 1: I wonder if he changed his name.
Speaker 2: Should I tell them? World should be telling? Should I tell the FBI that he like, why isn't he on the list?
Speaker 1: Like? Where is this guy? Or maybe he has like maybe he's one of these guys, Like did you try? I mean, yeah, because if you looked up Peter Dudley Albertson, it would have given you Dudley Peter too, like in case he was like a kind of guy that went by his middle name or something like that.
Speaker 2: I did a lot of options, yeah, a lot of different options of all the names.
Speaker 1: Weird, sir, that's weird. He should be on a registry. Is a federal registry. It's not by state.
Speaker 2: They have state ones and they have federal This was a federal crime.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I don't know. That's crazy. I think you should give a little tip tip to the FBI. No, where's the sky. I really want to.
Speaker 2: Know, so and then the next case even worse if that, if you can even imagine, well, I don't know. It all seems really bad. So the will we don't have to compare tragedies. So it's the William Gode case. And this guy is believed to have abused up to three five hundred boys. And one of his quotes is like direct from the episode, like he was bragging one year, but he denies it. He is quoted saying, oh, I beat my record this year and it was like one hundred and forty five boys for the year.
Speaker 3: So and he was doing this for decades. It's fucked up.
Speaker 2: But even like I'm reading the news about the you know, thirty five hundred boys and it's on the BBC where Jimmy several works, and they allowed him, you know, to they knew that he was abusing kids, So it's all just so kind of twisted. The Plymouth Herald in the UK called him a sex beast, and he was a millionaire businessman. He owned discount shops and market stalls, and he groomed his victims by offering them jobs and then slowly inviting them into his home and then not only did the abuse happen in his home, but at the warehouses in his van camping trips, and he had a cottage in Darmoor. The abuse is believed to have gone back as far as nineteen sixty five. That's why the numbers are like in the thousands. Yeah, but the abuse, like they don't have to believe it.
Speaker 3: There's a trail.
Speaker 2: And this is one of those things that make us so mad on this podcast because there's a fucking history. So in October of nineteen seventy two he had a conviction and indecency with a child and in decent assault on a male. He got probation for three years. I don't know what this is about molesters only getting probation. Yeah, like a pedophile probation program is confusing to me. And then in nineteen eighty he was convicted of two counts of indecent assault, two counts of procuring an act of gross indecency, and one count of indecency with children. And finally in April nineteen eighty seven, he was convicted of three indecent assault and sentenced to six months imprisonment and suspended for two years, which I guess is probably like probation in England.
Speaker 1: In nineteen ninety one, he opens.
Speaker 2: This market, so he's like so he like serves time and then is able to just like party on and make this cool market that kids get to go to. And nineteen ninety four finally a boy comes forward about the abuse, and in nineteen ninety five he's arrested, but then the court said that further charges would be an abusive process and the case was dropped. What yeah, And then in nineteen ninety six and nineteen ninety seven further allegations against God are formally made to police and then to go backwards, like he owned two houses that overlooked school playgrounds, so he was still after all of these able to like live next to schools. He also set up play areas in his Cornish market world. There was a Kid's World with a z kids World's Adventure Play, one of the largest indoor children's playparks, and the staff, in quotes to the Plymouth Herald, said he would happily sit and watch the children play for hours at a time. He ran a camping club and then he started like paying kids off to introduce him to their friends for fifty pounds and he would silence children with drugs, money, sweets, toys, and the classic of threatening violence to them and their families if they told anybody. One boy was supposed to kidnap someone for him but couldn't do it, and then he was like raped and beaten worse than normal because of it. And so there was just like good punishment. And for decades people didn't believe these boys or care. And it was found out that some of these kids went to the police and the cops called them lying little queers, and so that's cool, and of course I can't. We both said, cool, okay, And of course he knew how to pick his victims. He targeted boys whose parents were on the breadline. That's not my word desperate. I don't know England had breadlines, but maybe it's just a saying desperate for any kind of maybe yeah, desperate for any kind of financial support or aid. And then you know, there'd be poor ass kids and he'd be like, well, I have a job or a task and I can give your family money. So he really appeared like a saving grace to people. And then some boys lived in children's homes and he had access to these homes as a quote uncle, like he was just this like market wizard of the community. And for some of the abuse at home, Like for some of these kids, the abuse was so bad at home that like his abuse was chiller than the abuse they had at home, Oh so hard. And like there's like one victim who lived in such poverty that he said that he cried the first time God hugged him because he had never been shown such kindness before. So once these like inquiries started to bubble up, in nineteen ninety eight, he fled to Thailand. He had a false pass poor and he knew the police were on his tail. And I wonder how, I wonder how the cops knew all about this. There's more. So he was arrested finally in two thousand and three. He pled guilty to fourteen counts of serious sexual assault and two counts of indecent assault. He was jailed in two thousand and four at Plymouth Crown Court and he was sentenced to life. He was jailed at age sixty, and a lot of his victims were there and they cheered and really had a joyous moment in that second I mean probably complicated feelings. And then before this court case started, though two of his victims did take their own life. But after two thousand and eight, when all of us like was legit and they could see that court was happening, a lot more victims started coming forward, at a rate of one a week. He tried to get parole in twenty ten, but also not lol with what we've seen. He died in prison though of natural causes, in twenty twelve, at the age of sixty eight. So, Tom there's an ex detective Shirley Thompson, and she said that many victims spoke to her an inquiry in two thousand and three that identified several other abusers, but senior officers wanted to restrict the inquiry and focus just on God. Oh and in twenty thirteen, she said this ring could still be active today. So I think this was like a powerful sex string of fucking freaks, and that's why the cops didn't really do much. Yeah, And I think it's very Epstein. Yeah, and I think it's like really powerful people. I couldn't find more evidence, but I believe Thompson. But also this case shows the depths of trauma from abuse for generations of victims, you know, many you know hit the bottle, the alcohol, drugs, you know, violence towards themselves and and it also turned a lot of young boys into problematic criminals. And a lot of these things eventually lead to death. And no matter how many victims came forward about other men in the ring and abusers, no no arrests were ever made or like, no prosecution of any other suspected offenders. And the only reason they investigated this at all is because a report showed how they failed to do enough for decades. They were forced to do all this and then nothing really came of it. Detective Inspector Mike Cooper to the Plymouth Herald only said, the reasons why we did not formally proceed against any suspected offenders has been fully explained to the.
Speaker 1: Victims, and that's it. Yeah, if you're like a millionaire, I just kind of never believe you're working alone or like heaven, you know, you don't have other names of people. I just I'm not buying. Oh that's awful. Yeah, at least, yeah, I mean, at least in this case. This guy fucking died in jail.
Speaker 2: But now gas so well, so talking about their palette, we'll just roll right into our post mortem.
Speaker 1: This episode, it's a nightmare, is a nightmare. It is truly a nightmare. Family, a whole family. These fucking molesters, man, I know, and Lilfish. Yeah, and just like these guys that just do they I don't know. It's like this, the main character in the episode, just so brazen and like you think you're never gonna get caught, like you just I guess you just do it for so long that you don't get caught. And you're like, I'm the best pedophile there is and no one's gonna catch me. So I'm just gonna male videotapes of my crimes around, Like yeah.
Speaker 2: The one thing is like listen, you don't even have to go to jail, just leave this family alone. And it's like, yeah, he can't do it, but fuck the justice system. Why so much, Leewaye.
Speaker 1: So these fucking molesters, I know, lock them up, like what, walk them up? Especially this guy in the episode. I know he's not real, but like he had prior crimes and they were It's like I think when there's repeat crimes happening, it's like this is a person that cannot be in society without hurting children.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just but it's one of my favorite episodes in terms of, you know, the lawyer's breaking the rules and like, yeah, kind of an exciting showdown.
Speaker 1: I just feel bad that everybody shits on Cowbot the whole time when she's truly just trying to put away a very very bad pedophile and everyone's like happy now, like like, well, I'm really just trying to get justice for your kid, but oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it shouldn't be so much on victim's statements, Like we have to make it like we're so concerned with rapists and criminals and murder, but also, you know, there's so much injustice that way, but like we're so concerned with them getting fair legal trial. We're not concerned with rape victims having to testify and be confronted by their people and like all of that stuff, Like why is the priority not protecting victims but like making sure these rapists no one says anything disparaging mistrial, Like yeah, yeah, you know, yeah, well I get it, but it's just it's frustrating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's.
Speaker 1: Like what I said. I think when we were recording the episode, I was like I get the the it's constitutional and you have like the right to confront your accuser or whatever, like that's in the law. But I think with like, if you're under eighteen, like you're a child that's going to cause you massive trauma, then why can't it just be like videotaped in advance, like just the lawyer and the child, and then the other person's lawyer can go in there and there's a guardian, like you can get crossings, you can cross examine the child. I'm not saying the child just gets to tell the story with no cross examination, but that they don't have to sit in the room with their abuser. Like that feels like a weird that feels like that's something we should be able to loophole around, is all I'm saying, Like we should be able to get around that.
Speaker 2: No, I mean forever, we would have to beg to be like, hey, can we still prosecute these rapists? The kids were scared, and it's like, yeah, it's a day too late.
Speaker 1: Yeah they should have come to the cops earlier. Oh they couldn't talk yet, fuck them, you know.
Speaker 2: Like it's so wild what we expect if people who have just gone through like the worst thing ever. It's so fucking weird. I don't know, not things even bring me joy anymore. I mean, this fucking election. I mean, I don't even play I'm not even playing Wordle every day anymore. I'm not playing the games if I miss it, Like, I don't even give a shit anymore.
Speaker 3: Cinematrix, are you okay, Lisa?
Speaker 1: What's I have?
Speaker 2: Every time I see Rosamond Pike, I'm like, oh my god, get her out of this game. No, I don't know, it's I just the zest is just I just want to watch. Yeah, I'm still in my horror movie.
Speaker 1: Kick. Oh.
Speaker 3: I ran into someone who watched Barbarian because.
Speaker 2: They heard me talk about on the pot and then oh yeah, yeah it felt thrilling.
Speaker 3: I like this influence I have over others.
Speaker 2: Maybe I should become a fascist dictator, kick people out of their homes. I mean, it's crazy what people voted for. Oh my god, I know.
Speaker 1: It's like speaking of people getting justice, Like, it's just crazy that a couple of short months ago, we were all watching Donald Trump fall asleep in a fucking courtroom while he was getting you know, his convicted of thirty six felony counts or whatever it is, and I was so excited to see what was going to happen after he lost, Like what justice he was going to see And we'll never see it, you know. So that's just another extra thing that I'm pissed about. We will never uh will never, Oh my god, because people just like him. They just think he's funny and cool. And I guess he has a gold toilet, so they love that. But anyway, let's let's move on to what would Sister Peg do a little bit of good in this People are still trying to do good in this world. And you know what would sister Peg do is when we point you guys to a resource that gives you more info about today's episode, and today we wanted that resource to be the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. We have recommended this organization before, but it was years ago, and I just thought I would give them another shout out. They are the leading nonprofit and providing information and tools to prevent and respond to sexual violence. Every April, nsvr C lead Sexual Assault Awareness Month, which is SAAM abbreviated, and that's a campaign to educate and engage the public in addressing this widespread issue. So for more info, go to NSVRC dot org. We will link to that in a story the day the episode comes out, and that will be saved forever in our WWSPD highlights where all of our what would sister peg dos are saved. If you ever want to, you know, giving season is upon us. If you ever want to go back and give to any organizations, you can always scroll through and see if any other organizations we've recommended, you know, resonate with you.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, wait, hold on, care you're gonna like this.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I usually look crazy on flights, like sweatshirt, sweatpants, I see, like, you know, do I already tell you this?
Speaker 1: No? So yeah, I'm usually messy bun. And I was.
Speaker 2: Shopping online and I saw kind of like a more classy looking sweatsuit where it's like a little high neck tank with like you know, those expensive pants our friend wears, but it's like on a doupe of those like wrinkles silky kind of pants. And I was like, oh, oh, we're my new Jenny Kine sweater. You know, I'll kind of spruce it up.
Speaker 1: I'll wear a boot.
Speaker 2: I mean, my family roast me from the moment I got off the flight like it was like, are you going to a meeting? They're like, what is this business casual? Like no one let me even breathe an inch. And then my mom used to work at a company and Elan was like, wow, are you on lunch break from new care services?
Speaker 3: Like they're like are you doing payroll today?
Speaker 2: Like no one understood why I was dressed in like this business out.
Speaker 1: He quarterly review, like yeah, that is so funny.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'm going back to sweatshirts.
Speaker 1: I'm I don't need this messy comfort see through sweatpants. Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Or maybe those were my sweatpants that are see through.
Speaker 1: I need to get new ones now.
Speaker 2: My favorite sweatpants the cratch rapped. I mean, it's so hard to dress in these months for me. It's just like I'm not good at winter where I am struggling. I'm struggling on all accounts.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Also, no, I will not come at violence. I'm not you know, I don't know, but I'm pissed. Yeah, but I'll tell you what we're doing next week and the beat goes on next week. I mean, it is crazy, It's it's just crazy.
Speaker 1: It's like Joe Mandy always posts we live in hell, and that's just like I think of that all. I'm like always like, oh yeah, we live in hell, like we live in hell.
Speaker 3: I have enough good memories that'll keep me warm, I guess. Yeah, Yeah, I have my health for now.
Speaker 1: For now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very Homer Simpson. It's the worst thing of your life so far. The Ballad of Dwight and Irena. That's what we're doing next week. Please join us, Season twenty two, episode two. Yeah, if you want to get your head out of the clouds of our democracy crumbling, there's always a show about domestic violence you can really sink.
Speaker 1: Your teeth into, Yes, to really escape black. Yeah, we're here to shepherd you through just a family get sex crime show. All Right, we love you guys, hang in there and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 3: At glitter cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media. Dud dun