Speaker 1: Looking for a mortgage bank to help you make your next major mortgage move, whether it's a refi or home purchase, regardless of whether it's your first one or one of many, consider our friends at Stockton Mortgage, but don't just take our word for it.
Speaker 2: Stockton Mortgage has over seventy thousand five star reviews and counting, just like this review from Joshua, who says this about his experience with Stockton. They were super professional, always answered my questions I had, and streamlined the process. I could not ask for better people to help me and my family get our first house. I feel blessed to be able to go through them. Be like Joshua or the sixty nine nine hundred ninety nine others just like him, and get started with Stockton Mortgage today by going to Stockton dot com and get started. I've even used Stockton Mortgage myself on my own home loan. For your home loan needs, Stockton dot com and click get started Stockton Mortgage MLS eight two five nine, Equal Housing Lender NMLS, Consumer Access dot Org.
Speaker 3: Welcome to two of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 2: All right, Welcome back taking Sports Radio Hour number two, Ryan Drew, Shannon, Mario Billy has left us for a short minute before we get to our draft, I got to ask a couple text from the Avs and last text machine, Ryan, you look like you'd be a Nickelback fan? What the heck does that mean?
Speaker 4: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Shannon? I don't know. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 4: I don't know what I mean.
Speaker 2: The other one that read the tweet. We're talking about injuries, famous injuries in the past. We forgot a couple of good ones. Mike Casey broke his femur in the summer of nineteen eighty nine on a stacked team. Everybody talks about that. Yeah, and then in the eighties Sam Bowie missed like basically two straight years with fractures and broken bones. So those are a couple of good ones from from back in the day.
Speaker 4: Some injuries, Yeah, those belonging near the top of the conversation as well. Does it really hurt those teams?
Speaker 2: I had a guy come up and ask me one time ago. He said, Okay, do you know who the all time leading score from Kentucky in UK basketball? History. Well, you'll you'll be able to get this one all time leading scorer in Kentucky basketball history from Kentucky.
Speaker 4: How far back do I have to go?
Speaker 2: Give me a little seventies?
Speaker 4: Oh good, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do? You know him, you talk to him all the time.
Speaker 4: Jack Givens, Jack Givens, Okay, yeah, I guess that was easier than Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was third overall. So he's the all time UK basketball leading scorer from Kentucky. And the guy said, who's number two?
Speaker 4: Still still going far back?
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess Melvin Turpin. That was not right.
Speaker 4: I don't I can't even name that many that were from Consulia.
Speaker 2: This may surprise you. It's Mike Casey.
Speaker 4: Oh still even after the yes.
Speaker 2: Mike Casey is the second leading Kentucky basketball scorer from Kentucky. Mike Casey, I think like right after that was like Ralph Beard and then Melvin Turpin. Maybe I may have those backwards, but Mike Casey a forgotten guy, which kind of gets us into our draft. Here. Here's our draft. We're gonna come up with the guys I call it the no Name Draft, the guys you forgot played at Kentucky so we're gonna go around and see what we can come up with enough to fill at least the starting fact.
Speaker 4: I have some I have some real questions. Okay, well, it's gonna be hard to do if they're forgotten. But I like this game. I'm gonna have to really dig back in the memory. Betch. But am I trying to build the best team of guys that have kind of gotten lost in history?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Or just the most obscure? You forgot they even were.
Speaker 2: At the end of the bill they wished to try to build like the worst team. Okay, I like that too, the most obscure.
Speaker 4: I have a few guys that were good that I think people genuinely forgot if they played.
Speaker 2: Okay, I agree with you, guys, Shannon, you and Drew. Let's do the two different things. Yeah, most of them.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I'm gonna build one that can beat your alls obscure team with the guys that were still pretty forgotten.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right. And the reason this came up the other day during our Tubby Smith draft, you brought up for Kaylon sims My gosh, I completely forgot that guy played for Kentucky.
Speaker 4: He's an example of the direction I'm gonna go. I feel like he was pretty good. You just kind of forgot he existed.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll give you first draft in first draft pick, Shan, you go second, I'll go last.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go to one that's kind of recent and he will probably be the best person that's named in this entire exercise. And he's currently in the NBA on a team in the playoffs. Oh my, I think people completely forget that Ian Jackson played at the University of Kentucky. Ian Jackson, he's my center. His first name was ian in Jackson, Ian Jackson, An Jackson. I didn't realize his first name was Ian. What did you think his name was that? You've forgotten him so much that, uh?
Speaker 2: When did he play at Kentucky?
Speaker 4: See, I'm already now in this exercise. No wait, I'm saying Jackson's the recruit. I've even messed it up. Isaiah. What is it, Isaiah Jackson?
Speaker 2: See?
Speaker 4: I even messed it up there, San Jackson's recruit. Just looks at it. I'm the one that got it. Sorry, first pick, he was that bad. I got his first name wrong. So I just made a great example of this game. I got it name wrong with the first pick, and he is very good.
Speaker 2: So you're going with Isaiah Ja Sorry, yes, most of the pacers.
Speaker 4: I had. Jackson from the transfer portal was fresh on my brain. We're off to a great start. I got a name wrong, all right, dude.
Speaker 3: Maybe I didn't understand the assamic because I thought we were supposed to put together like the no name guys that nobody even remembers played here but actually did play here. So I was doing some you know, little research before we got to the segment, and I've got a bunch of no names that you probably don't even realize play to Kentucky.
Speaker 2: That's perfect.
Speaker 4: Just do that too, go for it, Okay, make sure you get their first and last name right to do a little better than I did.
Speaker 2: Do you have Ian Jackson on your list?
Speaker 3: No, but I do have a Henry Thomas from the nineteen ninety ninety one team.
Speaker 2: Oh, Henry, you know a good dude. Oh yes, he's a good dude. I've seen around town here all the time. Oh he's a great name as far as I'm concerned. But that's perfect. That's a great example. I think Henry was one of the holdovers from Eddie Sutton to Rick Patino. You know, just a couple guys that were holdovers. I think Henry was one of those guys and played for Patino on his early years.
Speaker 3: So, but we're not off to a good start because he's going to in the NBA. And I've got a guy that you run into at the save a lot.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna I didn't know his name.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Joey Hart.
Speaker 4: Oh he was on my list. Yeah, dang, Joey Hart Slam Dunk champion, Joey Hart won the Big Blue Maddness Sudden.
Speaker 5: That's right, man, you took my starting two guard. All right, so I get two picks there you go, right, So all drafted. I'll go, Uh, Cameron Fletcher, that's my wing.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable same brain here, Uh huh.
Speaker 2: At least I didn't guess a Iron Jackson. All right, Shannon, you go next. All right?
Speaker 3: Did you know there was a guy that played here back in two thousand and five and six named Adam Williams. Oh yeah, yeah, of course I'm gonna put him on my team.
Speaker 2: Then he's from the Huntington, West Virginia area, and he ended up going back to Marshall. His dad was he's high school coach in West Virginia, and w brought him over.
Speaker 3: Back court is set Henry Thomas and Adam Williams.
Speaker 2: Look out, nobody's beating this team, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Drew, you, I got Isaiah Jackson's wrong name. That's embarrass Uh. I'm going to my backup wing since you took Cameron Fletcher, right, This guy was my Twitter profile picture for a month or two. Khalil the Dragon Witness. Oh, that's a good one. I thought I thought he was gonna be an all time Cali Perry. Great here and he didn't even finish.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. Didn't left, and.
Speaker 4: I got his name right, So I'm off doing a little better here.
Speaker 2: All right, do you get another pick?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go to my Uh, I need another guard since you took Joey Hart, I'm gonna go with Alex Legion from the Billy Gillies.
Speaker 3: Guys that that are decent, but people don't really remember them.
Speaker 4: I mean, I could name a guy at the end of the bench that maybe people didn't even know. That's why I'm going. I'm getting tried to get some good players in history all right.
Speaker 2: Shannon, your pick? All right? I need a forward now. Well, okay, what about Nate Knight. Yeah, that's that's exactly who I was going You weren't, Yes, it was. He was number five, too bad. I got him Tubby brought him in and he left before Christmas. I think I think he was on here like one semester. That's a great pick, tall white guy, and he people thought he was gonna be a good player and he just didn't do anything. I don't know where he went after that. All right, I'm gonna go, uh, gosh, what's he is it? I can't think of his name.
Speaker 4: It's all right, Clearly we're getting names wrong in this forgotten player draft?
Speaker 2: Is it? Charles Young ended up going to play in Michigan? What was his name?
Speaker 4: Charles Matthews?
Speaker 2: Charles Matthews.
Speaker 4: I love that we're getting names wrong, though. It's a little disrespectful these guys, but that's the point of this game, all right.
Speaker 2: I'll take Charles Matthews and then, gosh, since he took Nate Night, I was gonna be my big guy. I don't have any big guys at all. Uh, can we pick all? I got one but Myron Anthony, good pick, Myron Anthony.
Speaker 4: All Right, I have a real question. Did they have to actually appear in a game?
Speaker 2: Not necessarily carry on? Okay, all right, channing your pick? All right, I'm gonna go with my biggest guy, Jared Carter. Oh, that's a good one. I should have thought of that.
Speaker 4: Jared Ty also on my list, loved to get Olive Garden trip. According to Matt back in the original KSR Days.
Speaker 2: And according to Shagari Aleean, no Mad works harder and smarter than Jared Carter. We go ahead, you got two picks, Drew.
Speaker 4: Uh. Since you said they don't have to actually appear in a game, how can we forget maybe the best practice player to ever play, Matt Pilgrim. Matt Pilgrim, the Beast, Matt Pilgrim. I'm also gonna stick in the Billy Gillespie era with my next pick. I feel like I need in another guard. Yeah, Kevin Galloway.
Speaker 2: That's a good one, Kevin Galloway.
Speaker 4: I've got a squad. I haven't been writing this down. I'm not sure if if I'm doing positionally it's right, or if I've gotten their names right. But I like what I have so far.
Speaker 2: You've got Isaiah Jackson, Khalil Whitney and Jackson Leon, Matt Pilgrim, and Kevin Gallow. Oh goodness, all right, Channon, here's your last pick.
Speaker 3: Well, I got one, But I don't know if this qualifies or not as a no name guy because he went he went to the league.
Speaker 2: Scalabusier, would that be?
Speaker 4: I think scal is a good one because if people look back on the Coli era at players, he's probably gonna be pretty far down your list before he pops in your brain.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna allow it. Also because there's a lot of times I can't even remember his name. I remember who was the big guy that was the number one pick supposedly, and he came here and ended up being the eighth man. I can see his face and could not remember his name.
Speaker 4: Are we How deep are we going on the bench? This is a fun game, Okay, I really like trying to test in my brain here.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll keep going. Then, I'm gonna I'm gonna stay in the tubby era. I got two picks, Ryan Hogan and Michael Bradley. Do I get to pick Michael Bradley?
Speaker 4: Did he get picked in the actual draft, I mean our Tubby Billy draft. He came up. I don't know him. No, it's a great pick.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll pick Michael Bradley. All right, Channon. How about Sasha Leah Jones. Oh, that's a good one. Christ that's really a good one. Rt Sasha Kaleia Jones. All right, Drew, you got two picks. I've been two bench players. Yeah, I've been pretty recent. I'm going to get a forward who has a ring on his finger. One Oliver Simmons, big cheeto. That's good when Oliver Simmons.
Speaker 4: Uh, he was. He and Jeff Shepherd were my coaches in Patino's camp. So shout out to Oliver Simmons.
Speaker 2: You get another pick?
Speaker 4: Uh? Do I need a guard or big? Really?
Speaker 2: There aren't many bigs that are even on anybody's list other than Jared Carter. Well, Isaiah Jackson could be a big.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I didn't pick him. I picked a Ian Jackson. I picked a freshman from North Carolina. I need shooting. How about Darnell Dotson.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll allow it. Darnell Dotson.
Speaker 4: Did you remember him up from the Caliperi era.
Speaker 2: Oh? Of course he was Calipari's first team.
Speaker 4: But does he does he come to your brain when you're thinking aback at that time?
Speaker 2: Pretty far down the list for me, not on that team.
Speaker 4: If if he fits within the rules or doesn't fit within the rules, let me know and I'll get more obscure. I could go to Steve Macielo as a as a walk on from the Patino era.
Speaker 2: W hare shan at your pick?
Speaker 3: All right, I got two here. I don't know which ones. You may not allow one of these, but what about BJ Boston? Is he too good?
Speaker 2: A who's your other one?
Speaker 4: I think we just try to forget that entire team.
Speaker 2: Okay, Quade Green Quade, I allow that one though, You allow that one? Yeah, okay Quade. Kame's supposed to be the point guard and then he ended up delegated to coming off the bench when Shay exploded. Oh I had another one too. I just thought I've got it.
Speaker 4: Just keep picking Ryan Harrow. Oh man, that's that's actually starting to play. But the down years of the Caliperi game.
Speaker 2: Yeah man, I'm struggling. Now. Did anybody say Cameron Fletcher? Yeah, say yeah, I said him.
Speaker 4: He was quickly off the board.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a good pick.
Speaker 4: Still in college basketball, by the way, still transferring around.
Speaker 2: Devin Ask, you is too ask You could be another one on the list.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think of a big guy. I don't have any big guys.
Speaker 4: What about Jason Parker?
Speaker 2: Does he qualify kind of because you never got to play?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Ryan, what about your boy eloye?
Speaker 2: I'm going Eloy Vargas. There, you go on to him. I'm taking He's my big guy, Eloy Vargas. He was my son's favorite player. Came to my house, shot baskets with Michael on the driveway, and then took him to the movie theater. Took him to the movie.
Speaker 4: Remember that. Well, you're a big eloy guy.
Speaker 2: A big eloy guy. All right. That's that's seven. That's that's our rosters, I believe. Oh are you happy with your roster?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Especially when I found out I got Isaiah Jackson.
Speaker 2: Not Ian Jackson. Well, that's just good. He was your first pick, the first pick in the draft, the team of Drew Franklin selects Ian Jackson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I went, uh. He was also in my brain. I went all the way way up in the Bronx to watch Ian Jackson in high school. So I'm just got a lot of fond Ian Jackson memories that were thrown off my brain there. And Isaiah hasn't played all year for the Packer.
Speaker 3: I had a few others on my board that weren't selected by anybody.
Speaker 2: Who are they, Preston the Master, Oh, Preston's a good one. Yeah, is it?
Speaker 3: Adam Chiles, Yes, Adam Chiles, uh huh as a tubby guy.
Speaker 2: Jason Ballard, Bible Ballace.
Speaker 3: Jason Latham forty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very future, Oliver Simmons, Jason.
Speaker 3: Lather guy back to I think it was Patino's first year. Jody Thompson completely forgot about him. I would not even come up with him at all.
Speaker 4: Billy Gilespie had a roster that had about twenty five people on it. You could go all day with that one.
Speaker 2: If you could name like all eight Billy Glesbury walk on, you got a team right there, just those guys.
Speaker 4: How about some Carrie Benson or some more Keno.
Speaker 2: Williams Scherbisky, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Little Dwight Perry, Dusty Mills.
Speaker 2: Who is the dude that stuck his girlfriend in the in the suitcase and will wheeled her into their lodge. Ty Winyard the Lumberjack.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, throwing out some stories i't don't think we've ever told on radio.
Speaker 2: All right, well take our break, come back, go b to the phone line eight five nine two eight h two two am. That's a fun little draft we just had there. This is Ryan, Drew and Shannon. This is take a sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Great song.
Speaker 2: I know you can't hear it on the podcast, but if you ever, as soon as I hear the song now, I think of the show Mass Singer. I got into the Mass Singer during COVID. Watched like a bunch of series. I loved it. It was funny.
Speaker 4: I've always wondered who watches that showy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the dumbest show you you actually watch that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? During COVID couple time, Like one time they had Brett Michael's on. He was like a banana. I think that's a good way to sell it. Believe we missed that Nick Carter was under Clip Black. They had some good singers on there.
Speaker 4: So to just s I get as trade. They come out and they're in a disguise and they sing and you just.
Speaker 2: Guess, yeah, yeah, they you try to guess who it is by just hearing their voice.
Speaker 4: And they, I assume sing other people's songs. Yes, okay, yeah, yeah, I'll catch the next season. Well, I've not seen it in probably five years. Well, it's COVID, but I did it during COVID, watch several seasons of it. We all did weird stuff in COVID. I watched Tiger King every night.
Speaker 2: Jennifer and I were just talking about that. What we those series we watched during COVID, Squid Games, Tiger King.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's anyone on earth that watched Tiger King more than me.
Speaker 2: Well, Shannon, You and Shannon loved it. Two two two Week seven, got a lot of people in Navision glass texta machine texting me players at the No Name player. We kind of forgot about Charay Thomas, Bernard Kote.
Speaker 4: I think Charay got drafted in our Tubby draft. Yeah he's good, Bernard Kote, That's a great one.
Speaker 2: Corey Sears, Matt Heisenbuttle, Todd Barup, Jonathan Davis, Rob Locke, Mike Scott Junior, Braddy is a good one. Josh Carrier, JP Blevans, Todd Tackett. That one class. Happy birthday. By the way, you said, it's like five guys got a birthday today?
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me think of I can do it off the top of my head. It's JP Blevans, Shemu Evans, Jared Poulsen to do, Jacob Topping very good. Finally answer, I'm pretty sure anything.
Speaker 2: You have that on your calendar.
Speaker 4: I wrote it on the website this morning. I was up early blogging. Man, I gotta get up early and blog.
Speaker 2: I heard heard Tom Leach. He says it at the end of every show, Happy birthday goes out to you had five birthdays to day eight five, nine, two, eight, two to eighty seven. We'll go to the phone and get another callor who we got Channon, Adrian, Adrian, go ahead, Adrian, Ryan.
Speaker 7: Your dad? Nice seemed to remember. There was a lot of chanting going on in cross country practice.
Speaker 2: This is my mom, this is your mom, this is my real mom.
Speaker 4: Was this the first?
Speaker 2: Happy birthday Mom? Happy birthday last week and Happy Mother's Day coming up this weekend?
Speaker 7: Thank you son, you are high behind the bushes cross Countreete.
Speaker 2: Never, I never did that. What did you do?
Speaker 4: Ryan?
Speaker 2: No, they're making up stories now.
Speaker 3: They weren't there, tried to get out of running and hit behind bushes.
Speaker 2: Of course I diea, of course I did. Who else who would run five miles for fun? Nobody? So yeah, our coach would make us run, and I would just hide behind some bushes. And when they'd make the loop and come back, I just joined the crowd.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 2: So when you got caught, did they make you run even more? I don't think I ever got caught. I was gonna. You know, my dad was my coach in high school and uh we had uh in the fall. He'd have the basketball players out running on the track. Well, I played tennis in the fall. I didn't know he could see from the track to the tennis court. And the girls cross country team ran by one time and I mooned him. My dad is up on the track and saw every second of it. So that that got me some extra running, didn't it, Dad?
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: You deserved every bit of it. No, all right, I'll see you guys. I'll see you guys tomorrow night.
Speaker 7: You bet you bye, guys, A right bye.
Speaker 2: Good to hear from you. That's my mom in your day.
Speaker 4: You didn't know that was coming, No.
Speaker 2: I had no idea it was coming. Yeah, she's you know, I get hammer. Her birthday is one weekend and the next weekend's Mother's Day. You know, I gotta hammered back to back weekend. So I'm gonna go after our trip and I want to world tomorrow, I'm gonna go up to Jasper and see mom and dad, go out to eat with him and hang out with him for a little.
Speaker 4: Bit, get hammered. To celebrate your mom's birthday.
Speaker 2: I might What do you do?
Speaker 4: You get two different gifts are just kind of combined in one, and.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of the pickle you're in. What do you do?
Speaker 4: I know it's to spot.
Speaker 2: I get it one for each.
Speaker 3: You gotta celebrate her birthday and then you celebrate Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: It's like Shannon's birthday is four days before Christmas. That's right, you got birthday and then Christmas back to back.
Speaker 3: And while you see her, if you don't mind, if you could get some of those doubled eggs, yeah, that'd be great.
Speaker 4: I thought of a draft we we could also do and said, I'll read them off to save time. But how about the all Billy Gillespie recruiting team. Guys like Hunter McClintock forgot that the eighth grader Michael Avery GJ. Villarino ended up at LSU. I think was it Dakota Uton K c Ross Miller.
Speaker 2: He maybe he ended up in the LSU. Whe else guys ended up at LSU. Dominique Ferguson was a big game in Indianapolis. Billy cast a wide nut for his his two Kentucky basketball rosters. I think you would add fifty players if it was within the room. Okay, who's the dude that went to g RC went to Clark County High School? I ended up playing I think at Western.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna get that one. Big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's kind of a big guy. I somebody el Texas let us know eight five nine two two two eight seveny centto the textas team. We'll get that. Uh, phone lines open, you want to call and get on board. I do want a couple other notes. I want to talk about UK baseball team, Big weekend, big back to back, big series coming up right now. They're ten and fourteen in the SEC. They host Oklahoma in a three game set this weekend, and then they finished the season at Vanderbilt. So I checked with Worldwide Todd. Harris Todd said, they really need to go three and three in these six games to secure a spot in the NCAA Tournament. If not, they're gonna have to win a couple of games, at least two games. He think it feels like in the SEC Baseball tournament, So it's doable. You win the series against Oklahoma, win two of three, then you may try to steal one of Vanderbilt. You can finish three and three. He feels like that should get them into the NCAA tournam because right now, I think he said they're in the first four out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Baseball America put out a bracketology yesterday. I want to say Kentucky was the second or third team in the last four hour category, so just a few spots out of the field. But Oklahoma is ranked fourteenth in the country. You're hosting them this weekend in your final home SEC series. If you win this, I mean, I'm not an expert on the other teams and who's who's fighting for spot in the field, but I feel like if you can win the series against number fourteen Oklahoma and finished strong at Vandy, hopefully I will give them thee the nudge to get in. They also have a game against Northern Kentucky tucked in next Tuesday. Then I don't know will impact the standing that much, but big opportunity at home this weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're they're limping in right now. Think they've lost four in a row, so they're kind of limping into this. But they need to go three and three of the next two series. They have a top thirty five RPI, so that should be good to get an nca tournament if they will only get to twelve SEC wins. So maybe if they but he feels like can win three SEC these last six games, I should get him in for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Disappointing trip to Starkville after you got hot there for a while. I began with losing to Western earlier in the week and then you got swept down there. Getting swept in Starkville really hurt him.
Speaker 2: We got time for a quick calls and who we got. Let's go to Poe. Poe, go ahead, Poe.
Speaker 6: Hey, guys, hope you're doing well, you two.
Speaker 2: Poe.
Speaker 6: I'm excited about next year's team basketball basically, and as long as we can jail like we did last year. You know, as com roaderie on the team. I think we can do really really super things. And I wanted to say too that, uh, I got the player that's really forgotten about. But I don't know if you're considered him the player, but he's probably the most talented player. Was not mentioning it? Okay, real quick, we forgot about it, Seawan Camp, Sean.
Speaker 2: Camp, Yeah, that is a good one. What about Vinie Zolo? That's the GRC guy. All right, we'll take our break. Come back, Ryan, Drew and Shannon. This is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: TJ Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ. He'll make them pay.
Speaker 3: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 2: Here's Matt Jones. So the people in the podcast can't hear this, but this is shined down right Shannon. Yeah, you were saying that was it your son that was working that event? Yeah, they had a free concert. I believe it was Friday, the Derby Eve. They had a big concert at Upperena. Said it was packed, but they didn't get done breaking down the stage till like five in the morning. I think. But they're I guess they're still running. They're still really popular.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, they're one of the biggest rock bands going right now. But your son gets to go around and enjoy all these like concerts and wrestling, and that's probably a lot of fun though I mean probably not fun setting it up and taking it down, But you get to enjoy the show too, I guess.
Speaker 2: Right, well, not necessarily, like they set it up, then they have to leave. Oh, they have to leave. They make it eve oh yeah, and then they come back. Sometimes they catch the end of the concert, but they are a backstage you know, they're not out in the crowd area. But yeah, they have to leave and then come back. I think you had to go back at ten thirty that night to start breaking it down. So it's tough. Who's this segment sponsored by Shannon.
Speaker 3: DraftKings Sportsbook promo code KSR. If you're a new customer, bet five dollars, get two hundred dollars instantly in bonus bets, you can do same game parlays, live betting, player props. It's all there for you, and we're in the playoffs now and you can stream together at parlay and do it with promo code KSR. For new customers, bet that first five dollars Winter lose, you're going to get two hundred in bonus bets.
Speaker 2: The crown is yours.
Speaker 3: If you have a gambling problem called one two hundred gambler eighteen plus Kentucky only eligibility restrictions apply and new customers only bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issueans for additional terms. Responsible Gaming Resources se DKNG dot co slash audio.
Speaker 2: Hard to win the NBA playoffs right now, because like the Celtics had the Knicks down by twenty at home, and I left the KSR Bowling League last night and Celics were up by twelve, get home, and Knicks are winning the game. And the night before, the Pacers were down twenty at Cleveland came back. Went so back to back nights Pacers came from down twenty on the opponent's home floor in one. Knicks were down twenty last night in Boston and they came back in the Boston Boston.
Speaker 4: These games have been crazy. I turned off the Knicks game last night thinking, well, it's not gonna happened two nights in a row.
Speaker 2: For that.
Speaker 4: You had Nuggets win with not a buzzer beater. Become a last second three by Aaron Gordon. Uh, it wasn't a close game last night, but Shaye, my goodness, did you see Say set a record for his plus minus was fifty one.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 4: They scored one hundred and forty and forty seven. It was almost one hundred and fifty points. Yeah, winning Game two. He was nuts there.
Speaker 2: It's been.
Speaker 4: It's been a very enterting it for the NBA.
Speaker 2: It really has been. They need that, they need this pick up some momentum going into the championship series. So I love it. This is the time, yar. I like watching the NBA so you can bet everything. You went on Draft Kings.
Speaker 4: I got a brag on myself on DraftKings. You know how they had the King of the Horse thing for Derby. I didn't realize it, but I logged into my account. I won three hundred and eighty dollars in the king where you split the million. Yeah, I was one of the people that split the million. Really cash that out yesterday. I didn't even know in the moment, but my wife, of all people, said, plays a bet on sovereignty, and then I threw a bet on there for it because it was the first one I put in it goes on to win, So I ended up making part of that million. Didn't even know it un till yesterday.
Speaker 2: Well, good for you. A happy birthday to Abbey her birthday. Thanks this weekend, right, Yeah, I have.
Speaker 4: You for saying that, but yeah, I thank you. DK Horse.
Speaker 2: Well, you guys were all fun and son at the BET gala and playing golf. I decided I'd do a high school baseball game this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tell me about it. I saw a selfie of you, a young up and coming announcer. What was that all about?
Speaker 2: Connor will Height he covers Scott County sports, so he has Connor Sports Talk. I've been on his podcast and he does all the Scott County baseball games. So he invited me to come join me in the broadcast booth for the Scott County Henry Clay game in the night. And I loved it. I loved everything about it. I do a lot of play by play in color for baseball, So Shannon, I want to play this clip. This is Connor doing play by play of the Scott County Henry Clay baseball game the other night.
Speaker 3: First get to a second at bat, hit into it it's way back and go on a two run home run from Justin Stevens.
Speaker 2: How about that gave me a chance to a little yaka right there. You put that out of the retirement. Those mics just a little bit. You were so hot you were clipping the mics. But yeah, I know, it's an exciting point of the game. Kid hit a two run home runs, so we had to get excited for it.
Speaker 4: So we can't make fun of their mics because I don't know if you can tell Ryan. Can you look at me and see Shannon during the break, my headphones broke. I didn't do anything that should have done any damage to these headphones. I gently took them off and now my left earpiece is just dangling Billy Studio.
Speaker 2: In front of GM. Billy, you break another head You saw.
Speaker 4: This, Billy. I just gently took them off my head and they were just broken.
Speaker 8: Bill, It's a good thing you got that DK horse money. Yea from his pagecheck exactly. That might by the cord the ald Teimer was. Matt was gone for two and a half weeks.
Speaker 9: In the day he came back, it snapped. The headphone broke before the show.
Speaker 4: I have another question of what you're doing. When we were gone, Ryan, I saw a picture of like a high school gym or some kind of school gym, and just a video of a very large version of you on the wall. Was that photoshopped or what was that?
Speaker 2: That was Potter Gray Elementary school?
Speaker 4: Was elementary school?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: What what was going on? Why are you on their gym wall?
Speaker 2: They ordered a cameo to give a pep talk to the kids because it's testing week this week? Okay, so they wanted to be to give him a pep talk to get him ready for testing week. It starts started on Monday. So yeah, that's what that was.
Speaker 4: Did you hit him with the take a knee?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 4: I did play the hits?
Speaker 2: Do you want to play this one channel? If? Shannon? It's all it's it's like over, it's it's over a minute long.
Speaker 9: Did you take your shirt off?
Speaker 2: No? I didn't take my shirt off. That's good, But I think I may have scared the kids a little bit.
Speaker 4: But I just saw a picture and it was then blowing you up to be the size of the wall. I don't wonder what was going on.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you gotta get the you gotta get your point across and when you're you know, you're yelling at your cell phone.
Speaker 8: So we got to get the kids excited. What are we gonna do? Cameo from Ryan left.
Speaker 2: That'll get a motivated to do it, to do well on their testing A five nine two eight two two eight seven. I do want another another note I want to bring out the kil crowdis would you listen to show you know he's I'm very close to him. He has decided to transfer from Hawaii to Wisconsin. So he went from US at UK for a couple of years, went to Hawaii, played well, scored a couple of touchdowns out there, But he's going from the sunshine and the beaches of Hawaii to the snow and the wintry north at Madison, Wisconsin. What do you think of that move?
Speaker 4: What a journey you go from the farm out there Hamburg playing for Douglas yep, didn't just move across the street play for UK, then across the globe to Hawaii. And where do you want to end up? Madison?
Speaker 2: Was Madison, Wisconsin. I've not talked to him in a long time, but the last time I talked to him, he was very happy at Hawaii. He was in staying in like a penthouse.
Speaker 4: I I hope, So who's not gonna like Hawaii?
Speaker 2: Amen? But you know, in this day of the transfer portal and nil, he may may have gotten a good deal to end up in Madison, Wisconsin. So now with Dekel at Mattaton Wisconsin and Dane at Nebraska, I don't know if they play each other this year, but my two Douglas guys are now in the Big Ten.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. Yeah, to Kel had a pretty good year. I think he had like touchdowns in three or four straight games. Yes, earned him a spot at another big school.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, we don't think too fondly of Wisconsin, but they have a great football environment and good program. So good for him. I'll be watching him from a distance.
Speaker 2: I guess it's a you know, a big jump from me and go from Hawaii to the Big Ten. I'm sure he's got at the roster spot or they wouldn't have, you know, gone after him like that. I just want to give a shout out to him, but that'd.
Speaker 4: Have been a tough sale. You know, Hey, I know you're on the beach and it's a hy but let me let me let me.
Speaker 9: Wisconsin coconuts to cheese kurds.
Speaker 4: Doesn't look like he will play Dane next year.
Speaker 2: I googling their schedule, they're not playing.
Speaker 4: Does not look like that stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, Shane, I want to ask you about this little thing I saw this. You know, we stay in a lot of Airbnbs when we're on the road. Ye Now, people were like making these themed airbnb h Like I saw there's an Airbnb for you could stay in, like the x Men Airbnb. There's a Prince Purple Rain Airbnb. They've got like eighties airbnbs. Would you be more inclined to stay in a themed Airbnb or just staying the one that we stay in all the time with Matt when we're on the road somewhere.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, we're just taking the price out of this, because I'm sure these themed airbnbs are double what a normal Airbnb would be just because of the theme. But if we're saying don't worry about the money itself, I would love to stay on what I've seen a few of these airbnbs they turned into like haunted houses where there's all like these little jump scare animatronics that they have built in I would love to go stay at something like that, like a quote unquote haunted house.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you like to do something like that?
Speaker 4: See, I think it would be cool. What do you think I'll take a hotel. You all can have your Airbnbs. I'll go to a hotel.
Speaker 2: Where we were staying on an Airbnb allwhere.
Speaker 4: I'm team hotel guy against Airbnbs. I've done them, but I would rather be in a hotel.
Speaker 6: Billy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, well, I'm fine with whatever.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 8: Shannon has been in a room that was filled with dolls before. Wasn't that an Airbnb?
Speaker 2: That was a hotel?
Speaker 4: Hotel?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hotel. It was an Oklahoma city.
Speaker 3: I don't know where it was, but it was like a boutique and you go in. Every room had a different theme. There was a room, there was a need It.
Speaker 2: Was a quilt mine had quilts all over the.
Speaker 3: There was a needle room. It was really strange. I look up the name of that place.
Speaker 2: But I don't like to say, you have Airbnb here in Lexington. Could you make it like a UK basketball football museum type place? I think people would probably want to stay in of something like that.
Speaker 4: There's some theme ones around town.
Speaker 2: What are they around town? I don't know them.
Speaker 4: I've seen one. This has been a while. They've probably changed over. But when Game of Thrones was still big, I've ever seeing something on Instagram somebody had a Game of Thrones theme. When I mean a lot of them are very played up on the bourbon. That's not really a big theme. But I've stayed at a nice one in Lexington that was just it was just bourbon, all in your face, so more Kentucky theme. But no, they are very popular. I've had some very bad Airbnb experiences, not just with you guys, So that's why I prefer a hotel or if something's going wrong, I can walk downstairs and they can just take care of it.
Speaker 2: I think the article I wrote I read said that there's like Prince. There's an airbnb in Minneapolis that's like dedicated to Prince Prince posters photos and stuff. So I can kind of see that being a thing, and you're trying to drive to probably charge you more just staying something like that.
Speaker 4: So so maybe a KSR themed Airbnb we could open. You could have the Ryan Lemon Room.
Speaker 2: It'll be hard to slate with that nose whistle going all.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I just play snoring noises while you're in there.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, with basketball season over now, it's the perfect time to tackle that remodel you've been putting off. My friends at a State Renovations do kitchens, baths, basements, and even deck sand. What is deck sand? Oh, it's dex and there's no space there. There's no space there, Readeath sentence again. My friends at State Renovations do kitchens, bass basements and even decks, and they do it right. They often guarantee pricing, which means no surprise costs and no nickel and dimon you along the way. You get daily updates, a true turnkey there's no space there. I think's supposed to be a true turnkey experience, and even hav an app so you can track your project every step of the way. Estate Renovations local professional and BBN approved. Check them out at a station's estate renos dot com. That's a State renos R e n OS like renovations. If you mentioned KSR before June first, you'll get half off your design agreement a state renos dot com. All right, we'll take our final break. I'm back our final segment. This is Kentucky's Ports Radio hashtag deck sand Welcome back, final segment Kentucky Sports Radio. We'll be live in Owensboro, Ky tomorrow at the Kentucky Skin Cancer Center on New Hartford Road. Don't you go to the old one, don't go to the old one, New Hartford Road. Don't go to the old Hartford Road, go to the New Hartford Road. Kentucky Skin Cancer Center. KSRP pre show will be there at nine, which is eight Owensborough time, and then KSR will follow. We're all getting facials uh tomorrow as well.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Who's the segment? Sponsored by Drew.
Speaker 4: Our friends at UKFCU. You know Wednesday is the new Friday at uk Federal Credit Union. With early pay you can get paid up to two days early just by setting up direct deposit. Take control of your cash flow with no fees and no catch, no fees, and we're on fire with these reads and no catch. Just your money sooner. It's as simple as one, two three, Open a UKFCU account, transfer your direct deposit and get paid up to two days early. Find them online or visit one of the seven local branches to make hump Day the new payday. With early pay from UK Federal Credit Union. You must have a UK f CU account with active direct deposit. Visit uk f c U dot org for terms and conditions. Membership eligibility required federally insured by n c U.
Speaker 2: A A couple of guys on hold. Now, we'll get them on real quick. We want two standing. So who's our first caller? All right, let's go to Kenny. Kenny, go ahead, Kenny Hello, Ryan, Hello, Kenny.
Speaker 6: Hey, Hey, I uh, I'm a friend.
Speaker 3: I make you a couple of times I coached dunkke back in eighth grade.
Speaker 8: Oh boy, Anyway, I was gonna ask you.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna ask you a question when you go see draft all.
Speaker 2: What did he say?
Speaker 4: I didn't one more headphones?
Speaker 6: Are you going to?
Speaker 4: You're going to Jazz Brandiana?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: I am going to Jazz Brandiana this weekend.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask you, uh, are you going to take her to the boy?
Speaker 6: I thank you? Pronounce it like the spintil Bank Schnitzelbock.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, I've been there one hundred times. It's great, great German food.
Speaker 6: That's a great place.
Speaker 4: Seed on good duggy, see you all.
Speaker 2: Right, appreciate it. He's using JT's phone there eight five nine two two eight seven, Rest in peace, JT. I miss that guy. I miss his calls. When things were kind of down, he'd always called, Hey, always positive, Cal's got this, don't you worry? Uh, who's our next caller? Channing Joe, Joe, go ahead, Joe.
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, you guys were talking about acls. Uh looking for a little relationship advice. When Ah, when me and the better half were watching the game and a player tears the ACL, you can usually tell immediately the way they grab the knee and five six trainers come out lift them off. And my girlfriend, she doesn't laugh, she doesn't enjoy when this happens. But she's a little callous. She had a college gymnasts teammate tear both acls on a tumbling pass and the girl got up, put her arms over her head like to say, I'm done with this, and she just walked herself off into the locker room. And I've heard this story ten times over the years, and the last couple of times I've thought about saying, you know, if your teammate was so tough, shouldn't she have walked to the bench and supported the team? The rest of the meat and not to the locker room. Do you think that'd be a good or bad idea?
Speaker 2: Joe appreciate it. I'll go first. If I just rip both my acls on the hospital, I'm peace out. Yeah, I'm like, listen, you guys, do your thing. I'm in immense pain. I'm gonna cry for everybody. I'm going to the locker room to get me to the hospital.
Speaker 4: I'm going to the locker room with a jam finger and saying you all got it from here. I'll be cheering out from the back. So two acls, you won't see me for a long time. I'll text you from the hospital.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll be carried off. I'm not walking off either with two torn acls. I mean, that's that's toughness, right there, is it?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 3: So I don't believe that she walked off. I don't even think that's true. There's you think you will walk off with two torn acls.
Speaker 2: No, he'd be crawling. That's crazy. I mean little gymnasts are tough, little boogers, though she know would if there's somebody, there's an athlete could do it to be her. They are man. They practiced like twenty hours a day and they're bouncing around and jumping around harden their body.
Speaker 4: What if you tor your ACL while you were working with Deck.
Speaker 2: Sand, Well, I'd probably lay down.
Speaker 4: That's all of my favorite things you've ever done, the whole break well, the uh part.
Speaker 2: I just got look, Maorrio, you got to get a picture of him with his headphones.
Speaker 4: Kind of shows where we are is a show. Right now you saying Deck Sand in my broken headphones.
Speaker 2: Here before we go, I do want to plug one more thing. Uh. Sportshistoryfoundation dot org. It's a website and they do for like thirty for thirty documentaries on Kentucky sports stories, Like they did one on the Lafayette nineteen seventy nine basketball team. They've done one on the Nicholasville on Nicholas County girls basketball team. They've done the undefeated Madison Central nineteen eighty baseball team. Well, they got a new one out on the Laurel County Cardinals winning the nineteen eighty two state championship on a half court, last second shot. If you don't know this story, it's a great story. The dude names Paul Andrews. It hits the shot, he heaves it up from half court at the buzzer and they won the state championship on a buzzer beater? Is there any greater things you can think of than with your buddies you grew up with playing at rupp Arena? You throw one in from half court at the buzzer to win the state title. And they've got a documentary about kind of thirty for thirty on this. I just watched it last night and loved it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to see that. I'm familiar with the shot. I mean, that has to be the biggest shot in.
Speaker 2: The biggest shot at the Duckey High School history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I would like to know more about it. I've seen the clips several times, It's floated around online in the past, but I'd like to learn more because it couldn't get better as a high school kid walking off like that.
Speaker 2: Shannon, have you heard of the Paul Andrews shot half court shot? You've never heard of it till just now. Really no.
Speaker 9: But didn't Dominique Hawkins have a game winner?
Speaker 8: And this was it the one of the state games, maybe not the state champ may have been the state champions.
Speaker 2: Well it was his teammate. I think Ken Job Bosley that actually hit the shot. That was Derek Dominique Hawkins team. Okay, but I think Ken job Bosley is the guy that hit the shot. But this is a half court heave, you know, before three point line and everything against Laurel County was playing North Harden. North Harden had like three Division one basketball players and they won it. So I recommend check it out. It's Sportshistoryfoundation dot org. So go check it out. I think you got a register. He got all kind of thirty for thirty documentaries there if you like that kind of thing. If you this is they do just Kentucky stories. So it's it's it's really really cool.
Speaker 4: Remember Anthony Hicky and Christian County. Yeah, don't think he's the one that hit the shot. He made the assists. Yeah, they had won a game win huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so check that out. All right. So again tomorrow we are in Owensboro at the Kentucky Skin Cancer Center hard on New Hartford Road. The pre show and KSR. So Shannon, who's our last sponsor.
Speaker 3: We got to get in corn Bread Hemp are friends at Cornbread Help have launched their first pure infused salters and four delicious flavors. They completely alcohol free maybe with only six ingredients and only thirty calories. They're a perfect way to kick back and enjoy relaxing evening to yourself. No booze, no baggage, just good vibes and it's from a brand that you trust. You can choose from their blueberry breathe, their salted watermelon, which is my favorite. You get the peach iced tea and raspberry limemate as well, and you can get it online at Cornbreademp dot com. You can also find them at Total Wine and More Liquor Bar and Cocks of Spirit shops and Evergreen Liquors. Nearest you, it is Cornbread Hemp and their new Seltzer. Give them a try, Goose.
Speaker 2: Don't forget UK graduation if you're in town. Can I check us out at Kosbar before after graduation? If you've not involved with it, get out of the downtown goodbye.