Speaker 1: Any swags to Hie understand deep to center field.
Speaker 2: And it's wow.
Speaker 3: His first big league swing is gonna be a grand slam home line swing.
Speaker 2: Good time, look to the show. Welcome back to the Call Up, your go to podcast on the future starts in Major League Baseball. You got arm Late and Elijah Evans, and today we are doing part two of the Newcomers of Just Baseball's Top one hundred Prospect Update. The Newcomers again, we've talked about it so many of them that we had to two part this, and we've got a lot of really fun prospects to dive into. Some guys that actually like it's been fun because they have they've maybe just been promoted. How are they doing at the new level since we've even put this list out, and other things like that. But the theme of this Top one hundred has been new faces, and here's an opportunity to tie a bow on the rest of the new faces.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 3: We had some fun names on the first part of this list last week, some really really cool names today. I mean, these are guys like when you're a newcomer and you jump into these are all top seventy guys, So like, these aren't just new names that are like, oh, maybe this guy slipped into the back nine, you know, ninety eighth.
Speaker 4: Spot on the list, like we talked about.
Speaker 3: These are guys that legitimately just catapulted onto this list because of what you've seen from them, you know, the end of last season, beginning of this season just really really impressive first two months of the year for pretty much everybody in this group of names.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we might as well start with a guy who has been one of the breakout prospects, one of our picks to be a breakout prospect, with one of the breakout prospects in minor league baseball this year, just got promoted up to Double A, where he is struggling a little bit to be expected big jump. But Devin Fitzgerald at sixty six is the first guy that we're going to talk about. Then, you know, is that the new top one hundred name here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Fitzgerald is exciting.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I think it's like you look at a guy who just you know, came up last year and was really good.
Speaker 3: He goes over to a Nationals organization in that Mackenzie Gore trade, and now you know what already was looked good last year but very limited sample because of injuries in High A.
Speaker 4: This year he was unbelievable fifty one games.
Speaker 3: At a one thirty two WRC plus getting on base at a near four hundred clip gets the promotion in Double A.
Speaker 4: It's been one week.
Speaker 3: It has been a rough week for him, but it's been one week, so we're more focused on the fact that he absolutely destroyed Hi A for the first two months of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's I think also with Fitzgerald, it's important to note and this is a guy that I think just the length and the grueling aspect of of of a season is going to maybe affect him a little bit, because this is a high school draft tee who only played forty one games in twenty twenty five because the season was cut or due to injury. So he's already played right now like the most games he's ever played right in the spring season at fifty seven, and he's coming off that injury. But also the other important part to note here is this is a kid that really skipped Low A right. He got hurt ten games into Low A last year, and the Nationals were so impressed with Devin Fitzgerald in spring training and everything, and even in what they saw last year that they assigned him straight to HYA. So this double A promotion is a really big test for him and one that I figured they thought, Hey, like he's gonna have some growing pains, that's fine. HYA was already an aggressive push for him. A lot of other organizations I think would have just had Devin Fitzgerald hang out in Hia and dominate there for the duration of the year. And I know he was a little bit cold even at the finish of the High A stints, So I think it says a lot about how they feel about Fitzgerald to just kind of bring him straight up to Double Anyways, this is a really good player that I think will come down to earth a little bit with the back half of this year, because I mean, the exit velocities are coming along, but I mean he is outslugging the exit velocities. He's built to be that kind of guy with the above average field to hit with the angles the airpole and as a switch hitter as well. But at the same time, like this is a guy that had one of the best stretches we saw in the minor leagues. This year. Of course this is going to start to get pitched to a little bit different. It's a long season for him. It's a huge jump up really two levels, and a massive leap from where he was at last year. And no matter how long maybe this this struggle is in Double A, it doesn't really change anything to the fact that Devin Fitzgerald's such a well rounded, high floor piece as a switch hitting most likely second basement, but it could be an above average second basement that gives you above average battle ball, above average play discipline, at least average power season speed, and some of his parts is going to be I think an above average big league infielder for a long time.
Speaker 3: Great point there on him basically skipping high single A as a nineteen year old essentially right like this year is his age twenty season and he into High A and takes it and goes for it, right.
Speaker 4: Good point also, and you know, a good thing to note on.
Speaker 3: The second base aspect of it too, because he has only played second base now in Double A.
Speaker 4: Not that he you know, he might still play some.
Speaker 3: Sure, he might still play some third, but you already kind of had him picking as a second baseman. It does seem like now that he's in Double A, he's pretty much exclusively playing second at least so far. That might change, but it does seem like he's destined for that spot. Doesn't take anything away from a guy that's going to be a very well rounded hitter, fielder. All of the above, there's really not a deficiency you can point to in his game, you know, even though it is a second base profile mostly yeah.
Speaker 2: Which was baked into the to the report there, And yeah, I didn't realize though that every game so far at double A has been at second base, so I think, yeah, they are kind of tipping their hand there. And clearly the bat is the priority here and could be a really good one at that. The last thing with him is just going to be how much more raw power does he add in there? And I mean he doesn't need to add a ton because clearly, again even with average EXI velocities, we've seen him produce above average game power at the levels he's been at. But with a little bit more of an uptick in the raw power department, maybe you can then project out you know, above average game power instead of like the roughly average or slightly above right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: The next guy up on the list is Pedro Ramirez of the Cubs organization, coming in at sixty five, right next name on this We got five in a row here of newcomers. Actually to start off this list, Ramirez actually yesterday delivered a huge hit for the Cubs. He was up in Chicago now since we published this list, so you know, at the time we published, he had forty three games in you know, in Triple A with a one thirty seven WRC plus he got on base at a four hundred clip. Just a guy whose hit tool was you know, well above most guys at that level and looked like he was destined to be a piece in Chicago as soon as this season.
Speaker 4: So far, fourteen games for the Cubs.
Speaker 3: He's hitting two sixty five. He's getting on base at a three twenty four clip. He had a big hit last night.
Speaker 4: Like I mentioned, the.
Speaker 3: Walk rate and the strikeout rate are both you know, even right now to this point, which is a you know, a clear plus of his game. It's just his approach and his discipline. But you know, he's in Chicago and I don't really see him going anywhere. I think he's going to be part of this Cub's mix. Even if he's mixing positions a little bit for the rest of the season, most likely.
Speaker 2: This is just a very, very fun player. Where I mean the fact that he on such a loaded Cubs offense. I know the Cubs aren't playing great ball right now, but it's such a loaded and established offense that he, because of his versatility and his performance, has been able to kind of nestle his way into more opportunity there. It's a testament to his skill set and a testament to how he's come along offensively. Where you look at Ramirez and man, this guy really blew under the radar. He was really productive and a solid player at each stop, but nothing really jumped off of the page. Then you look at what he's been able to do this year and just improving the power, continuing to be the bat to ball guy that he is. Just being this versatile infielder as well, I think has really been impressive. But I think the power is probably the biggest thing that has pushed him up from bench guy to super utility. And super utility is, hey, you need this guy in the lineup every day. He can just play at a lot of different spots. For a lot of teams he might be just playing second base or third base every day as a young kind of projectable piece for them. And projectables maybe the wrong word because he's five nine one sixty five, but in terms of projecting out to what he can be as his Swiss Swiss army knife switch hitter that just does everything pretty darn well. The biggest things that stand out to me not a big frame, not a guy that was going to grow into a ton of more strength, but he figured out how to add more power. His average exivelocity and ninetieth percentilegs of velocity jumped by two miles per hour, which you know, I think for a guy like him, makes a huge difference. And with a ninety percent of one oh five point five, I mean that's a tick and a half above league average. Well see, he can sustain that the big league lebble. But the fact that he was doing that in triple A I think says a lot about where he is improved in an average devlosity of ninety miles per hour, this kind of frame defining pop. That's because of the fact that he has this impressive batspeed. I don't think that's going to result in a ton of homers. It's always been a bit of a flatter swing. He's found a little bit more waft. But if a guy that's a plus hitter is hitting the ball, you're gonna find the gaps more. You're gonna sneak it through the infield more. Your batting average on balls and play is going to be up. So you pair that with solid play, discipline, some value on the base. Pats can play all over the diamond. And this is just the kind of player that every single team in Major League Baseball would love to have on their roster. And what you alluded to earlier too. I know it's only thirty seven played appearances, but the fact that he is you know, walked three times and struck out three times is remarkable. I mean mostly on the emphasis on the strikeout three times, but the fact that he has done that is amazing in his first taste against major league pitching. This is a plus hitter man that has now added a little bit more thumb.
Speaker 3: Do you see him getting reps at anywhere aside from third and second if he's going to be kind of the super utility role. He's put a little outfield in the past he had played shortstop when he was like in the DSL, but hasn't really since then. He did play a couple games in left field. Actually even there is this season and then the season prior. Is he a guy that you think maybe could grow into like and learn how to play additional positions beyond those two because it seems like that's where you can maximize his value if he can start to even spot it in the corner outfield spots maybe in addition to second and third.
Speaker 2: Yes, because like if he was in a different organization, I think they just say, let's put this guy at second base. He's really good there, third, he's really solid at third base, and let's roll because we have an opening there. But I don't see the Cubs moving off of Petro Ramirez anytime soon. And it kind of reminds me the Casey Schmidt situation, where like, if Pedro Ramirez hits, he's such a good athlete that you throw him out and left, he's gonna figure it out. He's gonna be fine out there. And I think that's what they'll ultimately do because especially moving forward, like they just want to find different ways keep him the lineup. So if there's an opening and one of these other spots, somebody gets hurt, whatever it may be, they're going to probably try to figure that out. Right now, I don't know where the consistent reps fin end up, but if you can play more positions, there's gonna be more opportunity for you if someone goes down, if someone's really slumping, whatever it may be. So it's the answerr question. I think we see kind of something similar to a Casey Schmidt's type of spot. The only difference is pedromeras what won't is it going to be two short to play first? So it'll probably an outfield situation there if they're going to attack on another position and you're looking at.
Speaker 3: A team that has both, Ian happens says Azuki be going to fore agency next year. So that's where my brain went a little bit of like, oh, maybe you do have a guy. If this is the guy you won your lineup and you really think he's a piece of your lineup for the long haul, you could have him in a quarter outfield potentially and see what it looks like there. At least tested out there this season, give him a couple of games going the next year. You at least have an idea of if he could maybe be a piece there if you need it there.
Speaker 2: And I think with a player like that is yeah, and it's as long as you hit, they trust it, You're going to figure it out. Like anywhere, I'm excited to see how how the cups decide to handle it.
Speaker 4: Very good. Going over to our next guy.
Speaker 3: Next up on the list, going next to sixty four is Johnny Level of the San Francisco Giants organization.
Speaker 4: This is an international guy who has just been unbelievable for the past two years.
Speaker 3: Honestly, last year was really strong in the complex, but did struggle when he got to single A. This year, he starts the season in Single A, has already made the transition to High A in the past two weeks and has really carried over the momentum honestly for him from Single A to High A. Now he's nineteen years old playing primarily shortstop. Still I think he's really he's a little bit of second base, but he's still primarily playing shortstop this season as a guy who's nineteen and has just mashed his way through both single and now High A so far this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a few different things that really I think highlighted just the uptick and value beyond the fact that he's just raking rights. As you mentioned, just an eighteen year old during spring training, nineteen years old at the end of March at low Way and now hi A it's continued. Obviously when we put this list out, he hadn't even really gotten the HIA yet. The defense, and that was a big part for me because you look at him on the surface, and if you judge a book by its cover here, you wouldn't expect him to be the defender that he is. He's a little bit stocky and he's five to eight, but then you watch him move his feet at shortstop and it's really natural for him. You look at the arm, it's above average, and all of a sudden you start to looking there's a guy that to stick at shortstop, And all of a sudden, due he started to swipe some bags more consistently, and so even though he's not going to be an absolute burner, you see this quickness to him and this agility to him that when you pair the footwork in the first step with his hands and a good enough arm, is a guy that looks like he can stick and be above average at the position. Then the other side has been just the offensive improvements, and it was difficult to exactly figure out what the long term out looks going to be from like a hit tool perspective and everything. But to me, it looks like he's at least going to be average, I think probably closer to above average. He's aggressive in the box, but this is also a difficult play discipline grade because he's aggressive as a guy that hits. He's sitting over three hundred, and he's young, and he's performed pretty much at most stops until that brief stint and low a last year, So those guys, it's always tough to expect them to swing less. I don't see it as much of a pitch wreck issue because he's a little bit more selective and has been more selective against spend. So I can really see that plates as up one getting better than what we have right there as the thirty five present, forty five future, and that would obviously bring up the offensive outlook as well. I think the hit tool I became more encouraged by the more I watched, like he can maneuver the barrel he gets to pitches like up and in. He gets the pitches down in a way there's quickly. There's just good feel for it from both sides of the plate. But I think when you look at what Johnny Lovell can do and some of his parts, he's better from the left side. I'm always going to like that from a young switch hitter. You figure I'll close the gap a little bit more from the right side, and that's fine. It's less pressing to do so he can stick at the position. He gives you some value with his legs, and he's continuing to grow into a little bit more pop already showing above average exit velocities. Just trying to get into that, you know, above average batspeed. Excuse me, just trying to turn that into above average exit velocities here in game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, while still a little bit further down the line, it does sound like there's a chance, you know, there's a gens for an average or above average.
Speaker 4: Both hit and power.
Speaker 3: And then you pair that with a guy who seems like can be a legit shortstop and is still playing shortstop.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be interesting to see.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get to another guy later that's also a middle infielder in the Giants organ and then there's another one in Hostwagenzale Like, I'm curious to see how the defensive layout goes for that tree. You got a trio of teenage shortstops all in the same organization that at some point you're gonna have to figure out who is playing where or when they get to the same levels. Right now, they're all staggered, So maybe you're buying yourself some time there. But it's gonna be interesting to see kind of which one of those guys ends up really sticking it short compared to the others.
Speaker 2: Well, great problem to have for a farm system that not too long ago we were saying this Baron all of a sudden has a lot of young talent and is graduating a guy in Bryce Saladrich who seems to be figuring it out at the big league level big time.
Speaker 4: Yep, Seriously, the Giants could use it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I still think at this point they're looking towards the future and it's good to have a farm going the right direction for them.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 3: We're going Cubs Giants, Cubs Giants here. I didn't even realize that's how this list staggered.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 3: But the next guy coming in at sixty third is Josiah Hartshorn of the Cubs organization. This guy's straight up arrow right now to find as much of an up arrow guy from last year's draft, a sixth round pick out of high school who was pulled away from a commitment from the Cubs and has been just dominating this season. He was going off in Single A and then the past month since getting to Hi A, the nineteen year old high school pick is hitting four to twenty two in his first eighteen games in High A, with eight home runs, good for a two eleven WRC plus. I think if you reranked, he might be high sixty three, to be honest, and this was literally two and a half week ago, this list came out, and he probably would be like pushing top fifty if we had to re rank today.
Speaker 2: He said eight homers. I think since the list came out and we're still doing a breakdown of the list, maybe a little bit of that's an in diamond on us, but no, I think that's mostly a credit to Josiah arch One. Eight homers in eighteen High A games is stupid. This is a switch hitter who's nineteen years old till February is it is so cool to see. I think the Cubs man like another farm system all of a sudden through some trades they've made and guys graduating. Whatever. Isn't as deep as we've seen, but you cannot doubt what they do from a draft perspective and their ability to identify talent and real guys in. And this was a guy that I mean clearly they identified. He mentioned the overslot, you know, and in the sixth round to bring in and said, this guy can really hit, and that's exactly what he can do. He's played mostly the outfield, a little bit of first. I think ultimately it's gonna be corner outfield with the first place versatility. I think we're seeing that more and more in the game. If you're gonna have like an average corner guy, he might as well see if he can play a little bit of first and you see the value in that as well. And what more teams are trying to do that with some guys. But Hartshorn's operation offensively, I absolutely love. It's predicated on athleticism, but there's also simplicity to it too, Like he has this big gather but it's not like a high leg kick gather it's just how far he travels, Like his front foot comes all the way back almost to touch his back foot. He touches his toe on the ground then comes back forward again, and I think that really allows him to gather his his and really create a lot of tension into his backside. But as he like strides back forward, there isn't like a weight shift a major like pendulum shifts back forward. He really does hold his weight in his back side well, so he gathers in has this longer stride forward, but he holds his backside well. His hands are really stagnant, but not in a negative way, like he just kind of coils back inward as his foot goes forward, and it seems like he's created this perfect rubber band effect to where he creates tension. He's on time, but he also gets to his backside in a way that allows him to really store that energy and he repeats it really well. You pair that with really quick hands and a path that is money, because he's already kind of preset and coiled where he wants to be with his upper body, and it just seems like it's a switch hitter and a young hitter here that already knows what he wants to do in the box. Again, it's not something that you see a lot of guys do with that big gather and then stride back out forward. But he controls it all so well that I get so excited about what can be here. And I think that's why he's already been able to just handle these aggressive there's aggressive promotion and the ability to just dominate there as well, because he's a guy that it's plus play discipline. He knows what he wants to do in the box, and at low A it's kind of hard. Sometimes your good approach works against you the zones. Big pitchers have no idea where it's going, and they're effectively wild in a way that kind of gets you in your own head a bit, Whereas if you're executing an approach in HIA, I think you're rewarded more consistently, and we're seeing that with hardshorn seventeen percent chase average actabosity of ninety two miles per hour, a hard hit rate of fifty percent. As a switch hitting nineteen year old contact rate of eighty percent, you can't really poke a hole in his offensive game at all, and he just continues to mash, I.
Speaker 3: Want to ask you about the other side of the ball, because it's interesting. He was playing primarily right field in single A. Since getting to hy A, he's actually playing primarily center field, which is another to this fold. We're like, you tell me all this, You just told me about the offensive profile, and then you tell me there's a chance he sticks in center.
Speaker 2: Boom Man, that would if he can play out there, that would change everything. I haven't seen it done. I don't want to ever rule out a guy at nineteen years old from being able to figure it out. We've seen crazier things happen. And clearly he's an athlete. Like again, when you watch the way he operates in the box, he's big, like he's strong, and he's not going to be like the fleetest fleetest of foot. But if he can and I think he can actually absolutely be an average runner if he can just have get to the point where his his routes and his reads are good enough, even if he's just average out there, with the ability to then go play above average in the corners. If you have a guy that can play all three, I mean that does absolutely catapult his his value as well. But what's nice for Hardshorn is like, I think that's the Cubs trying to play with house money here, see what they can see if he can develop out there because he's been such a quick study and worst case, okay, he learned some things out there. You slade him over to a corner and maybe he projects us, you know, slightly above average over there as well. But man, I just love watching him do his thing in the box. The fact that he can, you know, control that move and he really does, Like it doesn't seem like a pictures can really throw him out of his timing or out of his rhythm. It's eleven fifty eight ops against fastballs, it's a nine eighty eight ops against breaking balls. Like he is going to control his body and keep himself in the posture to get his a swing off. And you just don't see that that often from nineteen year olds as stick client levels.
Speaker 3: Sounds to me like an absolute riser and somebody will continue to rise up this list going forward. Let's take a quick break before we dive back into the rest of these names. Jumping right back in here to our newcomers Part two. From our updated Top one hundred list and updated a couple weeks ago. We're getting around to talking about every facet of this list over the past two weeks. Our next newcomer on this list coming from the Giants organization. We already have a Giants guy earlier. Now we've got Luis Hernandez, a top international signing from Venezuela this past offseason, who jump skips the DSL, jumps straight to the complex.
Speaker 4: And it's always a little bit hard.
Speaker 3: To gauge complex number, but five million dollars signing, the numbers on the surface look excellent, the numbers beneath the surface look really good, and he jumps straight into sixty two without having played affiliated game at this point yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, just to be just hanging out in the complex. And it's hard to your point of like properly being able to assess these types of players. You don't want to get ahead of yourself, and I think we've seen that in the past. But you can also identify and I think this is where the hairs will get split, where it's like you can identify a player that is just better than everybody else at that level. And I think Louis Hernandez is that Jesus made was that. So there's different versions of that though too, right where it's like there's better than everybody else at that level, and he's a super star, and there's better than everybody else at that level, and then he meets his match maybe a low way high a and you get a better idea of what this guy can be. But what's abundantly clear with Louis Hernandez is that he is and kind of similar to the harts One conversation, he's so ahead of his years. He looks like he's already taken a thousand pro abs with the way that he operates in the box. Yeah, he can be a bit aggressive at times, but in terms of his swing mechanics, in terms of the way that he bears down with two strikes, and just I think, and the funny thing is is he kind of has had this workload as a pro because he's played in these international leagues already as a fifteen sixteen year old, which is a big reason why he came with all the fanfare that he has. But I think with Hernandez, it's already so advanced in the box. Usually when I'm looking at these guys, I'm like, all right, you see the bat speed or you see you know, some good components of the swing, but he's gonna need a clean X Y or Z up. There's not much I would change with Louise Hernandez. His swing already like he he is so advanced from a mechanical standpoint, it's super simple. It's really predicated on a toe tap and a coil, and he repeats it really well. He's consistently on time. It's pop that defies his frame. He's not going to be super projectable. But the fact that you're already seeing him get into some decent evs because of how how iven quick the bat is. I mean, you're seeing some one oh sevens one eight. It's from a kid that's seventeen years old. And the question was always going to be like, well, how much power is in there because he's not that big. Well, there's already a decent bit you know that we're seeing from him now. The other thing is he elevates consistently to all fields. And I've seen him hit some balls and I know it's Arizona, but I've seen him hit some balls that kind of look like they're deep on and most of it almost beats him. But because the bat speed's so so impressive for his age, because of the natural field of backspin, they just carry out to the right center gap over the wall. And I'm like, man seventeen years old doing that, he's going to be able to maybe outslug what a lot of people would expect. It's a small sample, it's a complex sample, but an average egxiveloscity of eighty nine miles per hour I think is really impressive. Average air eggs velocity is ninety two and a half. That's a big gap. Usually he said one one to two miles per hour. When it's three and a half. That tells me it's a guy that is really getting it off when it's in the air and really hitting a hard average launch angle of eleven degrees, it's clearly a good path conducive to backspin to all fields, and I just think he's only going to get better.
Speaker 4: The ability to.
Speaker 3: Airpull into not even the airpol just just get the ball up with authority like that at that age is just something I feel like we don't see that often, and such a young hitter like I get it's the complex. But no matter what, if you're able to really launch the ball with that much authority in the air.
Speaker 4: That just feels like a guy who's already so ahead of his years.
Speaker 3: Do you think if you had to, like not to make you compare fully, But you look at Level, who we just talked about earlier, look at Hernandez.
Speaker 2: Is he it's.
Speaker 4: Probably too early?
Speaker 2: Belike?
Speaker 4: Does he seem like he's a short stop guy?
Speaker 3: You know, he's played some third two, so even though he is not a huge guy, it seems like he's had some comfort at third base as well as short stuff too.
Speaker 2: He's not the defender that jos War and Level are, and I think that's the interesting part. So we might start to see Hernandez. It's gonna be interesting how quickly they want to do that. We know that teams always want to like give the guys as many reps at a position as possible. But this is also somebody whose bat is so good that he may end up moving kind of quickly. Who knows too, because he's a good athlete and nan he has such good baseball instincts that he could develop into a good enough shortstop. I think ultimately he slides over to third his arms good or second base, and it's going to be about the bat here. But seventeen years old, I don't want to fully fully move a guy off the position. But I think when you compare him to jos war and to level at seventeen eighteen years old, defensively, I think those guys are a little bit ahead. But I think when you compare Hernandez's swing just from a path perspective, from a repeatability perspective, from just a bat speed perspective, he's ahead of those guys as well. And then also just the track record that he has through these other leagues internationally and the success you've seen. It immediately tran to where he's just comfortable against pro pitching, and I think that says a lot about, you know, just just where he at, where he's at relative to his peers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: I think he's just someone that is going to keep climbing and probably be young for the level everywhere he goes, Right, He's probably going to be young for the level for the next few years, and we're going to keep talking about him as a guy who's like, oh, this guy's only eight twenty years old in double A and doing what he's doing, like he seems like he's on track to be one of those names like A Walcott for example, right who just is always a little bit younger than his competition and still holding his own.
Speaker 2: And one more thing he just made me think of on that point is that he's similar to the Heartshorn conversation of like, it's hard to get this guy out of his own rhythm. And I think that's the biggest thing that will happen in High A double as better stuff, you start to feel a little bit rushed, or you don't recognize the spend, your mechanics break down, your timing gets disrupted when you kind of control your own rhythm and timing because your moves are it seems like you've been doing it way longer than you have. Those are the guys that seem to handle the next levels very easily, like we've seen with Heart one. Hernandez seems like one of those guys. So I think he's going to be able to maintain that production and handle those promotions quite well. And I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen him at Low Way yet. I think a big part of it is probably just lifestyle. He's seventeen. It's one thing when you're at the complex and you're with the team and you're with your organization, where once you get to low Wa, it's like all right, kid, like you're living on you know, you have roommate, but like you're out there living in the real world. It's like, think about going to going to college. Man, Like I wasn't ready to go to college at seventeen, So I think that's something. And it's more than college. You're traveling a ton, so I think it's probably more of a lifestyle thing and just getting him out because as you mentioned, he skipped the DSL. I think it's more that than like ability, because I think they're probably ready to get him, you know, against Lowa Arms.
Speaker 3: It's a funny thing we probably don't consider too often of like, yeah, these guys are kids and.
Speaker 4: They're just like going and traveling around the gun.
Speaker 2: You want to move out of a hotel right now. I needed my dad watching me when we were doing the summer ball tournaments at seventeen. I didn't need a hotel room with another friend. It wouldn't be good. Fair enough.
Speaker 3: Coming in at number sixty on our list is gage Wood of the Philadelphia Phillies organization first round pick from last year, advanced college guy. We saw him absolutely shoved in single A this year, which is like, why are we watching him in single A? Skips over high A completely has been in double A now for four starts and has pretty much carried over that success and actually been even a little better.
Speaker 4: He lowered his.
Speaker 3: Walk rate from what was eleven percent in single A to now five percent in double A. He's attacking, he looks good and looks to be one of the quicker college arms from last year's draft that's going to keep progressing for the minor leagues.
Speaker 2: Okay, I call my shot here. I think we see this guy in the Phillies bullpen in the year. I still think he projects a middle rotation starter, Like that's what you're hoping for here, right, But he's coming off of a little bit of an arm thing at the end of last year. Nothing majors you think through a fair amount of mendings, doesn't have a huge, huge, huge track record of workload given just just his progression as a guy that was kind of in the bullpen transitioned to the Arkansas rotation out of the bullpen in twenty five and then had a little bit of just like ah, I threw a lot at the end of twenty five. So I just I do feel like they're going to manage his endings really carefully and not even feel like we see it in real time. He's mostly throwing in burish inning spurts, and I then when he gets to a certain number, they're going to continue to manage that. I just wonder if they may. And because the fastball is so good, and because the command, as you mentioned, has gotten better, and the Phillies are just in this win now, win now, win now mode. I could see would being a guy that it succeeds out of the bullpen for them, and then of course you transition him back into focusing as a startup, They're going to have to manage the workload at some point this year. Anyways, that kind of are proactively I think for a reason, seventy great fastball that's going to work in a big league bullpen, and I think that fastball would play in the big leagues now. It's one of the flatter approach angles you're going to see that really allow that perceived ride to play up and just guys swing under it all the freaking time. The big reason why and I know some people had would in the top one hundred out of the drafts. You might be thinking of a whyse and newcomer. I was kind of skeptical on what he would have beyond the fastball, especially just with the lack of track record and what we've seen from him. Phillies had a plan. The curveball was good in college, but it was good, I think one because it has depth and had teeth to it, but almost too much depth. It was this two playing big curveball, and in college hitters are so geared up for the fastball that they're going to chase that thing. But it's such a big pitch that if that's your go to pitch off the fastball, I think pro hitters are gonna have a game plan for that and they're gonna start to shut down anything that starts at their belt. And yeah, you can maybe free some guys with the fastball at the belt, but you're not gonna get the chases that you wanted the curveball, and you're gonna be even more pressure to land. It's a hard pitch to land. The Philly said, We want you to throwing the slider slider that you barely threw in college. Really it really didn't throw at all. And this slider has been fantastic for him this year clearly was a focus from in the offseason, and it's gotten better and better and better and now looks like it can be a plus pitch. So now he's got that. It's not a bridge even, but like he's got the bridge between the fastball and the curveball, and now the slider is actually better than the curveball anyways, So he's got that pitch now, and then he still has the curveball is the third pitch for him. I think because the fastball is so good, he can be fastball two breaking balls and have a lot of success. But I think obviously being able to mix in that splitter with a little bit more successful help. But I'm seeing Chase Burns dominate fastball slider like it's fastball slider. The fact that Wood could flip in this curveball still that's a good pitch with two plane break absolutely helps, and I think that is the biggest thing for me. It's just seeing that development of the slider, which is going to be way easier to land consistently, is going to be way better of a tunnel, especially with this kind of crossfire delivery that he creates with the fastball. Now he doesn't need to be a sixty five percent fastball usage guy. Now it can be closer to the if it's fifty five, he's going to be in good shit.
Speaker 3: I have to say I kind of love this. I wouldn't call it a trend, but it does feel like it's becoming more common to see guys with this two breaking ball mix as opposed to like a third a true you know, aw speed change up, whatever it may be, right Like, I think it's it's becoming a little more accepted. I think it used to be like, oh, you can't just have you know, fastball and two breaking balls.
Speaker 4: There's still breaking balls. The difference with this guy.
Speaker 3: Like this is he had that huge, big breaking ball, but then bouncing it off of the smaller and like you said, way easier to locate slider. You have the ability to differentiate between this this one breaking ball that is more of a chase pitch and the curveball, and you're probably not going to land for a high strike rate versus another breaking ball that, Yeah, it's still a breaking ball, but it's a totally different type of offering because you feel confident in it getting in the zone, it just opens up his arsenal so much.
Speaker 4: And then if you can see that splitter get to.
Speaker 3: Even average, then you're talking about a four pitch starter mix with the legit four pitch mix at that point. So I love the way you broke it down there because it is key, Like, yeah, he was a really talent the pitcher. We knew the fastball was incredible.
Speaker 4: What is there beyond that?
Speaker 3: And now you're seeing why he's succeeding as a starter, And yeah, it'd be a lot of fun to watch him in the bullpen, even if it becomes three pitches primarily or even two pitches primarily out of the bullpen, Like if the Phillies are in October and then their rotation is as good as it is and good as it can be. Gauge Woods, you you know your your seventh th inning weapon you unleash.
Speaker 4: I would kind of love that.
Speaker 2: I like that fastball is averaging ninety six right now, again with outlier characteristics and plus extension. If it's ninety seven to ninety eight out of the pen. He could go seventy eighty percent fastball out of the pen and have some success. Last note on that, because I agree with what you said on the breaking balls is tying into what I was saying before. If you're shutting down everything that starts at the belt, that slider it could still you know, hang up at at the bottom of the zone there, and then you're starting to think about that, Oh, is this a slidder. Nope, it's the curve ball, and you're waving over it, right. So it gives him a third v low band and it gives him a third shape in between. Just you can't, I think, have eighteen inches of vertical break curveball at like eighty two and then a ninety six min hour fastball and nothing in between. So I think it was a great, great development plan there for the Phillies attestament to Wood to be able to develop, to be able to just add that and have the success. And yeah, again I think we see him in the postseason and that would be really fun.
Speaker 3: Pretty disgusting mix there to potentially throw in your bullpend for October, that's for sure. Tyler Bremner number fifty nine on the top one hundred, a guy, another newcomer. He's been out for a little while with injuries. It's interesting, it's kind of TVD.
Speaker 4: He had an illness.
Speaker 3: I'm honestly not sure as someone who's tapped into Bremner exactly what's been going on there, But his first eight starts of this season in Hi A another guy that had some arsenal development needed.
Speaker 4: We knew it had to be more than just his elite change up.
Speaker 3: We talked about him about a month ago and on a heat sheet as well before he went down with the you know, he sit out for a while, a two to one era, and the biggest thing that we've talked about with Remner is it was the change up.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 3: Now you're seeing an elite fastball paired with an incredible change up, one of the best change ups in minor league baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, they said illness. I don't know, because you know then he can't. He's come back now recently a couple of days ago, and it's been like two ish Shending spurts. And maybe it's just because at the time it is they don't want to like throw them back into the fire. But like three weeks with an onness. Who knows. I mean Ralphie Alaskas did have a pretty notly illness in the back half of the one year, and so you never know, but hopefully it's nothing you know, arm related there. And I mean Bremner another example here my two big questions. It amst to be a little bit more hesitant on the college arms if there are some of these questions, because I remember Kysen Witherspoon was on a lot of top one hundred wists now and he's not sniffing any because of some of the struggles that he's had. But Remner was, Okay, fastball looks above average, what will the shape look like professionally? And then what, you know, what will the third pitch? Well? Klai can he can he mix in a breaking ball? And I think that latter question is still valid, But what really encouraged me was the fastball shape and the quality of it. And so far this year, I mean, we've seen him, I think, really have success with that four seamer where he's averaging north of ninety five miles an hour and he's getting it up to ninety eight with run and ride like it's it's I think averaging around eighteen inches avert and another twelve inches of horizontal that run right change off of it. That tunnel's crazy because the fastball is going to have something action and the run to it, and then you also have the changeup that's just going to fade right below while still kind of staying on the same tunnel because it has the arm side action even more so, but it just keeps going arm side and it fades downwards ten inches. It's kind of the perfect pitch off of the fastball, which is why the change up to seventy. But the fact that the fast fall is setting it up to this degree is what really makes me, you know, excited about it. If it was more of like this just verty heater that it would still be great, but that kind of stays on a line, I don't think it would tunnel quite as elite as it does now. When you have this run and ride and then you have this fade and run to the arm side as well, that two pitch combination is enough for him to have a lot of success and to fly through the minor leagues. But I don't know if it's because of the variables of what's going on with him or if the angels are like, we're going to be different this time and actually develop this guy. But I'm glad that they are. He's still gonna need that third pitch, and there's it's just a wide range of shape right now. Like some are way more cutterish, some are more slur like Giro's sliders. Some are a little bit more slurvy, and it just seems like he can't quite find that feel yet. I would love for him to find a sinker. I think that is the most natural throw for him, and I know he's kind of been like I've seen I've read some interviews. I think he did something with David Lure with with Fangrafts. It's like, I don't throw that. Maybe it's something that he considers. And then maybe a cutter because he naturally sends to every time he tries to throw a slider. It seems to cut anyways. That's for people that are a little bit, you know, more adept to the pitch development side of things as well. But I do think the most obvious addition is a sinker that gives him an early ground ball pitch that also can can have a similar effect to what we're talking about with the fastball change up and just give him a different look.
Speaker 3: Yeah, We've talked about this before that that is always what I've thought from watching him for years in college. And I do know that he messed around with a sinker in college, but it seemed to kind of tinker with the way his changeup was coming off, which obviously you don't want to mess up your your you know, eighty grade pitch, So I get the trade off there. The slider, traditionally when he was in school, was more of this gyro slider. It's blended into those cuttery shapes now. I think if you can even just separate it into a true slider and a true hard cutter, maybe that's the way that you kind of either as great, right, they both can play off well, even if you don't do the sinker, maybe you do the sinker. I still we both have said a sport. I still think the sinker makes a lot of sense for him. But even if you could get a true cutter slider shape differentiated, that would be a huge thing for him.
Speaker 4: I just think it's always been a feel thing. I think he's just he's had time.
Speaker 3: It's taken him some time to really find what that pitch feels like, because he is he's a guy who naturally goes this way rights. It's in the pronator supernator thing, right like.
Speaker 2: And he's like an elite pro league.
Speaker 3: He's such a good pronator, it's hard to get those other pitches off. So maybe the cutter, if it's more of a ninety one ninety two cutter, maybe that feels a little more natural to him and a little bit less like he's forcing supernation.
Speaker 4: I don't know exactly. I just I believe in the guy.
Speaker 3: I've seen him since he was eighteen in Santa Barbara, and like, I just think the arm is so talented. And when you have those two elite pitches leading the way, you've got time, and I hope they take their time. Still, he's a young twenty two, like he just turned twenty two this past like last month, Like, you.
Speaker 4: Got plenty of time.
Speaker 3: And there's no reason for an Angel's team that is as bad as they are to even consider rushing this guy. When if he a mocks that third and fourth pitch, you're looking at a potentially you know, three starter, right, even you know, maybe more than that, right, if he still stayed a two pitch guy with like fringy third slider, weird thing. Probably more of a back end guy, right, So like where that like you take that time to try and make that gap closed.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, and it'll be a guy that, like when he's executing, even with the fastball change, you'll see flashes and it's like, oh, he's more than this back end guy. But until he has a slider, it's gonna be hard to like consistently be that middle rotation arm. I still think with that pronation bias that the sinker is the best pitch. From there, He's got plenty of time to work through that. Why I'm excited about him is that fastball is better than I thought it would be, and that that gives him such a rock solid floor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, going into our next guy on the top one hundred newcomers, Edwin Royo of the Cincinnati Reds organization coming in at fifty five on the top one hundred. This is a guy who just destroyed his way through Triple A. He was kind of this you know, prospect fatigue guy that's in the past couple of years on and off, but you know, it was a big time name.
Speaker 4: A couple of years back.
Speaker 3: This year comes into Triple A absolutely destroys Triple A eleven homers in fifty games. One he's hitting three twenty three in his you know, his Triple A stint has gotten up to the big leagues and it has.
Speaker 4: Definitely struggled his first couple of weeks in the big leagues.
Speaker 3: He's hitting two nineteen so far through thirteen games only only thirty six played appearances though, so very small sample. But Royo really found something in Triple A this year that put him right back into the middle of the top one hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is this is like a war a war game here, Like that's the big reason why he's where he is, Like, I think he's just going to be a war accumulator because of the skill set that he's now developed, where you've seen the bats of ball get better, You've seen the power uptick, and that's the biggest thing right where you see the power and being a year further removed from that that big shoulder injury and pretty major mechanical adjustments that have him vastly improved from the left side where he is just hammered hammered balls from the left side this year average eggs of velocity up several miles per hour, even ninety up several miles per hour. Contact right up several miles per hour, because, like we've talked about in previous episodes, he had some pretty bizarre mechanics going for him where maybe he was bowed out with his front knee, and like starting most guys start like sixty forty stack towards the backside, he was like seventy thirty stack towards the front side, which somehow how Hartshorn does not teeter. It was causing a royal to really teeter back and forth. I don't know. I mean, no one can control their weight with that kind of setup. I don't know how he got there, but I'm glad he's no longer there. It's it's so much better mechanically, and I think it's given him so much more time because he's staying back and holding his backside. It's so much easier to get on plane. And all of a sudden, you know, you're seeing this year his own contact rate from the left side that's up to eighty nine percent, an overall contact rate that's up to eighty percent. He's aggressive and that's always going to be a challenge for him, but the fact that it's gotten so much better from a contact perspective, quality of contact perspective. I mean, that's where I think you look at and you say, and also this is the lasting angles angles too, because when you're not heavy on the front side, you're able to get that barrel working, you know, behind you a little bit more, create more loft. His average launch angle from the left side is up from three and a half degrees last year to thirteen and a half degrees this year. So when you have an uptick of two miles per hour in the average hecu a velocity department, a five percent increase in hard hit rate and a ten percent increase in launch angle. Is he going to hit thirty bombs? No, But he went from a guy that wasn't really going to hit many at all to someone that can hit you know, fifteen in Great American and as a switch hitting plus defensive infielder that is going to give you above average back to ball. If he can sneak out fifteen, he's going to stack up war He's turned himself into a more effective base dealer. He's not going to go high volume, but he's more efficient, and I just think that some of his parts is going to be just a really solid player that can be three plus war off of either above average defense at shortstop or plus defense to second base, good back to ball, potentially now average game power, and some value with his legs.
Speaker 4: You think they're gonna still give him run when Ellie gets back.
Speaker 3: I hope so, because it's been such a limited sample so far, but I'm a little worried that they may just stick with some of the vets for now and then push a royal back down. He is still really young, so there's time on his side, but it'd be nice to see him get a little bit more run. I'm not sure it's gonna happen, though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure, because all of a sudden, Matt McClain, you know, as a pulse, and in his last like fifteen or so games, he's been swinging it pretty well. So I do wonder if he just kind of gets squeezed out here and the bench. They don't really care about having in fielders on the bench, so I do think they may end up sending him back to Triple A, but I don't think it changes the assessment too too much. Here because, like again, twenty two years old, got up because circumstances a guy that needs steady, steady run looks like we'll probably get it next year. Uh, but you never know, someone could get whatever it may be. But the big reason why I like him is some of the parts as a switch hitter with good bats of ball and now potentially average power. With the defensive value that he brings at worst, I think you're getting one and a half plus war from him. You know, as long as the approach doesn't totally do, him.
Speaker 4: Going to give you value one way or another.
Speaker 3: Let's take a quick break before our last five newcomers. We're rolling here with plenty of newcomers on the top one hundred list. Going up to fifty four on the list is Nathan Flewelling of the Tampa Bay Rays organization. He was a high school prep pick in twenty twenty four third round by Tampa. Last year, had a really solid season in single light to start his pro career. This year, it's been more of the same at the high level. Has continued over his success. It's slowed down a little bit since this list came out, but it's just carried over even more momentum for a nineteen year old catcher who looks like he can be legit behind the plate and at the plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing. I just I love the tools. I mean, it's easy to forget prep catchers is like the do not touch right, like do not go there a type of archetype historically, and I know that's changed a lot, at least a little bit, but it's still always a scary proposition. And when you have the tools and the production that we've already seen from Foelling, it's just so easy to get excited about this dude. Another Canada product is Canada continues to churn out a lot of talent right now Eric Hartman as well, which we'll talk about, Like there's just so many good players all of a sudden coming out of there. But when you tell me you've got the left handed hitting catcher with a plus arm behind the dish and plus power and with good plate discipline, I'm going to be pretty excited about that. And you pair that with the fact that he's, you know, nineteen, already having success at high A. Everything I hear about the makeup and the way he goes about his business is super super bullish and it's just a type of player I'm going to bet on. I think you know you're going to need to see the defensive aspects that come together completely. But even like Joe mack Man, like Joe mack was a young catcher with a great arm that didn't have all of this defensive prowess yet in their early going cold weather kid that then really started to put it all together. And I'm not saying he's going to be Joe mack defensively, but he has early ingredients that you don't find often, makeup and work ethic that you don't find often, and a left handed swing that already generates plenty of pop. There is some whiff, and I think that's going to be something to just monitor there. But when it's an average EXI velocity of ninety miles per hour, the ability to lift it, and patience in the box already, if he's a three true outcome left handed hitting catcher with above average defense, that's going to be a valuable backstop for a long time.
Speaker 3: It's important to have the context of the catching side of it too, because, like I think, you look at his stats compared to some guys we already talked about, and you're like, why is he hired than those guys? But that catcher drafted at seventeen years old, still just nineteen years old, already in high A. With the impact he's showing, there's a lot more that goes into it than like, oh, he's dominating the minor leagues, right, he might not have the surface level numbers of some of these other guys we've talked about, but a catcher with those types of tools he described, left handed hitter significant pop into that. Like, there's a lot of reasons to buy into the long term projection of fluelling, even if it doesn't look like he's destroying the miners the way some other guys are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I already popping in one eleven at nineteen, and you know, I think there's room for more. Is the exciting part too, So there it could be plus you know, plus gain power that he grows into and then twenty six percent cots stealing so far in his pro career is pretty darn good. At the lower levels. There's there's a lot of reasons to believe this thing can keep just just progressing nicely. For sure.
Speaker 4: Next guy up on the top one hundred Newcomers.
Speaker 3: Number fifty is Henry Bolti of the athletics organization Vegas slash Sacramento. This guy kind of came out of not nowhere, but like a little bit out of nowhere to jump into fifty, considering he wasn't on prospect lists last year. This season in tripa A thirty seven games at a one to fifty four WRC plus, he was hitting three fifty. Now in thirty games with the A's, he's played center field every single game and he's got a one thirty WRC plus. He's hitting three twenty six in the first thirty games of his big league career.
Speaker 4: What led to this guy just.
Speaker 3: Becoming a huge piece for the athletics kind of out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: We've got an eighty alert too, this is and I'm glad it was validated because that's one with the run grades we can immediately find out if we're right here on the you know, with with baseball savon he's an eighty runner. He's one hundred percent Island sprint speed. So that was validated. That was the fastest guy I've ever seen, so I was, I mean, Channel Simpson obviously up there too, but for how big he is. It just looks even faster. Bolty was up there for one of the fastest dudes I've ever seen on a baseball field, and then you know it was it was validated there by Baseball savon few things Bolty, And here's still he's so far from a finished products. It's going to take a while here, but I put him up here because you have star upside if it all comes together. And I think they're still like, he's got to find a way to get the ball in the air, and there's some things with the swing that'll need to get cleaned up. But he has taken big steps forward dating back to last year, like he had had historically some big swing and miss issues. On top of the fact that he put everything on the ground, he cut down the swing and miss issues. I mean, this is a guy that in twenty twenty five, even though twenty twenty five he struck out twenty nine percent of the time, and now was an improvement from twenty twenty four when he struck out thirty five percent of the time. So now in one hundred and five played appearances at the big league level to be striking out twenty seven and a half percent of the time is fantastic. It was twenty two percent in trip Awa. He has always hit the crap out of the baseball, but like I said, it was always on the ground and now it's still on the ground way too much. But he's found even a little bit more loft like an average lonch angle that has increased by a couple of degrees resulted in twelve homers for him right away in thirty seven games. Understanding is the PCL. You got to hit in the You got to hit in the air to be rewarded in the PCL. And that's what he started to do. The reason why I like him too is that like he's putting the ball on the ground way too much, he's gonna beat a lot of them out. He hits the ball super hard. There's some mechanical things that I already noticed with him, where like you could see him fly open, and I think it's something that I just think he's gonna he's gonna figure out. But his front hip slides open, bat drags. He's such a twitchy and explosive athlete, where a lot of guys that would cause him to get blown up even with the front side of flying open and the bat dragging, he still has enough bat speed to rip it through the zone and be quick, and I mean it's stand out bat speed still, but as a result, it's dragging the path again most guys, because of that drag, it's almost like you're swinging underwater when your front side completely leaves. He's so strong and explosive that his sense of swinging underwater. He's still able to get this crazy bat speed off, but it's flattening the path. So if he can find a way to stay clows longer and create more loft in the swing, oh my gosh, I don't know what could happen. His average batspeed in the Big Ones is seventy seven miles per hour. That already puts him in the top two percent of the league. And all the data that Adam trip away was outlier bat speed. So I'm like, okay, outlier bat speed, outlier speed speed has developed into a guy that we thought corner guy. Nope, Now he looks like an above average center fielder just needs to find a way to get the ball in the air. At worst, he's gonna be a short platoon guy that's explosive and just place ten years because he gets endless opportunities, like Jake Marisnik with more tools. But when I'm looking at a twenty two year old up there, I'm like, he's gonna figure this thing out mechanically, and if he does, he could be a star.
Speaker 3: And it's so interesting because his charts are like really fascinating to look at, because you're looking at a guy who's grading out excellently defensively. Speed wise, he's hitting three twenty six, but the expected numbers are terrible, honestly, which is.
Speaker 4: Such a funny thing to look at.
Speaker 3: And then it's a guy like you mentioned, like Maxiv's already one thirteen to six the big leagues, but he only has one homer and it was a four hundred and fifty foot nuke in the Vegas seasons.
Speaker 4: It's like the weirdest like profile of things.
Speaker 3: And then you're talking about one hundred percent Diles sprints speed with five stolen bases.
Speaker 4: I'm like, where are the steals? But he also stole fifty last year in.
Speaker 3: The minors, So it's just it's kind of mind boggling profile when you really look at it carefully.
Speaker 2: And I'm so glad you brought up the bags He's been the most efficient base sealer in the minor leagues over the last year and change, and so I think it's gonna end up coming in the big leguvel. He was forty four for forty six last year, and then he was seventeen for nineteen to start the year in Triple A this year, and that was in thirty seven games. He's gonna put it all together. It's easy to forget that he's twenty two years old. I'm really excited about it. It just it may not happen overnight, but we're seeing even with this like flawed profile he's got. He's point eight f four and thirty games and he's been filling a role nicely for them. So at the defense is only going to get better. I think the bat's only going to get better for him too, and the approach has really gotten him to a our spot. I'm excited to see what could happen. He may just be one of those guys that just keeps teasing you forever and gets endless opportunities because of the fact that he teases you. But he's got a lot of time to prove that he can be better than that. And I'm going to take a shot at this guy ceiling any day of the week with the floor that still could serve a big league role.
Speaker 4: I'm rewatching the homer in Vegas too.
Speaker 3: It was also like right center out of the stadium Opotaco, Like, I mean, obviously it's that ridiculous Vegas stadium, but like, holy smoked special study.
Speaker 4: Next guy up.
Speaker 3: We don't need to talk about him too much because you just interviewed him number forty eight hundred Carson milbrandt awesome interview with arm and Carson that was out, just went out a couple days ago on Friday, I believe, definitely check that out.
Speaker 2: Give me the brief.
Speaker 4: Synopsis on just how amazing mill Brand's.
Speaker 2: Bit, Oh my gosh. I mean, you know, you go from kind of spray the ball guy, and we talked a lot about that, how much better the command has gotten to a guy that not only has the command made this lead, not only is the fastball quality made the sleep. He added a slider to be a bridge pitch, and that's it was funny to hear him say this. The slider was supposed to be a bridge pitch and now it's his sixty five boarderline seventy great pitch for him, and he's like, yeah, we realized quickly that's way better than a bridge pitch. So you've got plus heater, plus plus slider, above average curveball, above average sweeper that looks like a plus pitch and command. Now that went from well below average to fringey right now, but I think it could be pushing closer to average. He figured something out with his delivery, as he talked about, and that's helped him to stay behind the ball and improve his shape and improve everything. And as a result, Carson mill Brand's been one of the most dominant pitchers in minor league baseball. Again, more on him if you just go listen to our last episode. But when you go from below average command to even anything close to average and improve your stuff across the board plus heater, plus plus slider with a pair of above average breaking balls, and he was still like, I'm finding this kick change. I'm getting excited about it. I just got to figure it out. He finds that, man, good luck, that is electrifying of a of a five pitch mix is you're gonna find.
Speaker 3: I got nothing else on that one. Definitely go listen to that interview our last episode of the Call Up. Two more names the two highest ranked newcomers at forty two. It's a newcomer, but sort of not a newcomer because he was top one hundred three years ago.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty three. Luis Laura of the Milwaukee Brewers.
Speaker 3: Organization just signed a seven year extension I can go up to I think it goes up to nine years essentially with team options on the back end of it. Milwaukee locks down another high, high floor, you know, just quality, switch hitting outfield type of profile here. Laura, you know, was a big you were a huge fan of his, and you were the high guy on him in twenty three when he was coming, you know, in single A and high A. He did struggle a lot. In twenty four, even in twenty five he started to find it. This year in triple A he has absolutely found it.
Speaker 2: And then so yeah, this is the classic not wrong. Just early here, he was so aggressively pushed everywhere, you know, and I think because of how advanced his game is in general, and you know, he held his own at each spot. But I think what we've seen now is he's had some time and I talked to the Brewers about this, and I remember them mentioning, Laura really found something in the back half of last year and he felt really good. Now the numbers, I was like, yeah, they were fine, Like I still really like him, but you know the numbers on screen that he found something. And then you see the way that he emerged to start this year, and it's like, Okay, yeah, that guy definitely found something. Of course, he's five to seven, one hundred and seventy pounds, He's never going to be a big slug guy. But the bat to ball has always been fantastic, and the plus plus defense potentially in centerfield has always been great. The fact that he has now improved his quality of contact to where it went from well below average to like it's fringy seven homers Nashville by park factor at Triple A park factor baseball a market does a great job of that is the hardest place, tied for the hardest place to hit a home run in Triple A, and he has what's seven of them they're already, which I believe would be more than he's had in any other season.
Speaker 4: I'm confirming that not close four is as close at season.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Whatever, Yeah, that's going.
Speaker 2: To take a tangible shift, and there is a tangible shift, right, Like his ninety percent telex vlosity went from like one hundred and change to one oh two point seven. You have the average exxivelocity up to eighty seven and a half, which, like, that's more than enough when we're talking about a guy with ninety percent zone contact from both sides of the plate, a little bit of a feel to lift it from both sides of the plate, and great plate discipline. You pair that with fantastic defense, a little bit of value on the base pats, and to me, really hard to find a deficiency in his game and the path the three plus war is just so I think there's so many less hurdles for him, which is the big reason why the Brewers handed out this deal to Laura, who, by the way, is still just twenty one years old. So he sees this power up ticket twenty one. I don't know how much more pop up tick there is in there, but this this is already enough now of a quality of contact flour for the sum of the rest of the parts to result in him being an above average big league center fielder.
Speaker 4: On top of that, while facing the hardest pitching he's faced.
Speaker 3: You're talking about the highest walk rate he's ever ran in the minor leagues and the lowest strikeout rate since he was in the DSL.
Speaker 4: So, with all of those things you mentioned.
Speaker 3: And just a general approach improvement at a higher level while being twenty one years old, very easy to understand why Laura jumped all the way to forty two on this list, and clearly the Brewers thinks I did because they just gave him an up to ten year extension potentially, and.
Speaker 2: A guy like him with a forty percent hard hit rate, when you're hitting the ball that often and you have value everywhere else, he's going to be a good player for a long time.
Speaker 3: Last guy on the newcomers list here, Eric Cartman comes in at number thirty two overall. I don't remember the last time he had a newcomerge I've been this high. It's definitely been a little while. I think maybe, like I'm thinking like maybe a Connolly early when he debuted and he yeah, just hadn't made it, and then he jumped all the way to like I think in the thirty range maybe. But Hartman of the Braves organization is the biggest, you know, pop up name on this entire list right now.
Speaker 4: He has been unbelievable.
Speaker 3: He was a twentieth round you know, high school signing in twenty twenty four. Last year with the Braves, had a good year in Single A, but nothing that was jumping off the page. This season so far, fifty eight games in High A for the twenty year old or actually today's birthday, Happy birthday, Ic Cartman now just turned twenty, so nineteen. Up until today, Eric Cartman has posted a one fifty WRC plus with seventeen bombs twenty six dolen bases in High A thus far this season for Hartman, I mean, it's.
Speaker 2: Been one of them breakouts in all of minor league baseball. And this is a guy that I mean, the skill set is outrageous. As I was working through this ride up as a newcomer of obviously it's kind of more from scratch. The more that I kept just watching, I just kept bumping him up and bumping him up and bumping him up, and I'm like, man, how high can we go here? We settled at two. This skill set is crazy. This is another guy that is one of the quicker runners in minor League baseball, it's a seventy run tool. Remember last year, which I agree was like a solid season, we saw him grab fifty bags, but they didn't really know what to do with him defensively. Another Canada product, not a ton of the track record that we see from a lot of these other guys that are drafted as prep guys. And I mean that's why he was a nineteenth or twentieth round pick. And it was a very under the radar selection there when you see what he's been able to develop into already just off of one pro offseason, where he's stronger, he is way more in his base and able to use the ground more effectively to get into this power and this added strength. And then also they said, okay, we don't need you playing second base in corner outfield. You're an elite runner, go play center. He looks good in center field, Like obviously he's raw, it's going to take some time, but he looks like he can be an above average defender in center field. And when you had this standout batspeed, this improved path because he's staying in his base and his legs so much better, and because the operation is just a little bit more simple.
Speaker 4: And then you are getting to this airpole.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're looking at a guy that could be sixty game power, seventy speed, is an above average center fielder and a left handed hitter, and it's like, this is an absolute monster monster. So I'm as excited about Hartman as you know, any prospect that been keeping up with this year. And when you look at just how elite the bat speed already is for his age, and that's the biggest thing is is bat speed rump like three or four miles per hour from last year, where everything else has also gotten better from last year, and he looks like a guy that could be a menace on the base pass. You don't get this kind of power speed combination very often, and I'm trying to think of, like, well, what comparisons. You don't get seventy run sixty power potential, and when he's airpolling at a forty six percent clip, it's just crazy stuff there. So I just think that the combination and it's not at the point where he's totally selling out for too. He's got plenty of backside hits and even you know, some backside extra base hits. I think this is a potential star if he continues on this trajectory.
Speaker 3: You pair that with the fact too that it is you mentioned the defensive aspect of it. Right Like last year he kind of split time, not evenly, but sort of evenly between center, left and second base. Now it's pretty much just center, and he looks good in center, and they'reletting him run out there, and they're letting him get full time of everyday reps in center field.
Speaker 4: So making of a star.
Speaker 3: Right here, And you laid it out there perfectly, and I'm not sure there's many guys that were more like keated on on a daily basis right now than Rick Cartman. And for good reason, he's given us a reason to be following him every single day right now.
Speaker 2: I think he's the you know jackassd like is Theo Gillen the like leader in the clubhouse for like minor league player of the year. I think if it's not gilling it's probably Eric Hartman who has seventeen bags, and Eric seventeen homers and twenty six bags already this year. I again, crazy crazy, crazy skill set that I just really have enjoyed watching, and I think double A will be the big test because there was a little bit away from the game, but these are like star star tools from a kid that just turned well you said, just twenty years old today.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous stuff, Yeah, crazy across the board. This was such a fun group. This is stuff as always. I love these Newcomer episodes because there's so many guys. We've been talking about a lot of these guys this season because they've all been really good this season, of course, but now you can just have the perspective of why you ranked them where you did, how they can kind of project going forward, and then we'll be able to see come the next list, if these guys climb even more, maybe a lot of these guys in the back end could be on our riser's time at the next update in August. So always such a fun list to go through with you. I know we have one more Top one hundred episode. I think you and Jack are going to do talk about farm systems, which teams have the most prospects I think on each list.
Speaker 4: So that's fun.
Speaker 3: We're due for a heat cheet, going to get one of those in later this week. Really just a lot of good content and then we're approaching future game draft.
Speaker 4: All the above there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really excited about it. I hope you guys enjoyed the whole Top one hundred rollout series. The next Top one hundred update it will be with the new draft guy, so I'm excited about that as well. As always, thank you for listening. Remid that you can read all these write ups on Just baseball dot com. We also are talking about these prospects all the time in the discord and breaking things down, and there the link to join that in the episode description. Look forward to talking prospects with you again a couple more times this week