Speaker 1: This is me, Craig Ferguson. I'm inviting you to come and see my brand new comedy hour. Well it's actually it's about an hour and a half and I don't have an opener because these guys cost money. But what I'm saying is I'll be on stage for a while. Anyway, come and see me live on the Pants on Fire Tour in your region. Tickets are on sale now and we'll be adding more as the tour continues throughout twenty twenty five and beyond. For a full list of dates, go to the Craig Ferguson show dot com. See you on the road, my DearS. My name is Craig Ferguson. The name of this podcast is Joy. I talk to interesting people about what brings them happiness.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, my name is Craig Ferguson.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Brooklyn, New York, to the Kids Super Studios here in Williamsburg where.
Speaker 2: We're coming at.
Speaker 1: You live from a tens inside a warehouse, which is a studio and also a fashion place.
Speaker 2: That's a whole thing. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Look, my guest today is a New York legend.
Speaker 2: A good friend of mine. He's also a wheeltor as well as well.
Speaker 1: You're going to hear a whole bunch of stuff.
Speaker 2: Please welcome to Wonder mister New York Jean no Philippo.
Speaker 1: One day, I remember the day we met because I'd heard about you before that. We met on my sixty first birthday, did we Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was my birthday that day. God, and you when I put you in my car, Yeah, we went in your car.
Speaker 1: And first of all, you're the only person ever I ever met who said I love driving in my nest and you were driving around my then I have good parking g Yeah, you have very good parking skills, and you can drive around and you enjoy it, and I've never encountered that. And it was my sixty first birthday, and you found me a rental apartment on Second and eighty second Street. And then I through that period you said, I remember you said on that day you'll buy in the next couple of years, you'll move.
Speaker 2: Back to New York.
Speaker 1: Within two years, I had moved back to New York, whole family moved everybody back.
Speaker 2: That was it. You were very smart to do it that way. You know, you didn't just go out and buy. You need to rent and I kept saying, well, the market is really dipping, but it dipped furst more.
Speaker 1: It's still going to dip a little more of you think, so maybe a little bit. I was looking at some houses on the Upper East sites and apartments and the Uper East site. I'm like, that's very reasonable for what it is. But I I do like, like a lot of people, the Trulia app or the street easy app in New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my porn.
Speaker 1: Me too, I say that, but you, amongst other things, you're a realtor, though it makes sense for you to look at it.
Speaker 2: But the but I'll tell you what I love about it is now there's so much off market opportunity. So there's like, well there's me and my buildings. So a broker who knows who seasoned, who knows me, is going to call and go, do you have anything coming up? Do you have anybody that you think would sell? And there's always off market opportunity.
Speaker 1: So now I've already we moved into a part aartment, I guess what, three months ago, and I'm already looking at the apartment next door.
Speaker 2: I told you to start. I mean, she incapacitated yet that time, and she's very nice. No, no, she's very nice.
Speaker 1: I keep like leading over at the top of the stairs.
Speaker 2: Hey, let me help you done this?
Speaker 1: Oh no, they but it's it's fine. But you know why I was. I was looking at your bio today and I had no idea none. And I know you pretty well at this point about the wedding thing, what's that tell me about?
Speaker 2: Like? It was in New York City. So everything I've ever done has been in New York. From New York, I just I'm not from the city, but my grandparents owned a big company and they did all the billboards. And my father was a street guy from Parkchester, the Bronx, So we were rare here a lot anyway. But I mean I grew up in the suburbs, a little bit outside, and I became a New York City tour guide. I speak Italian and I used to pick them up at JFK and give them tours. And I hate the Italians because the Italians all they want to hear about is love stories and they didn't really want to connect. And the British were very refined. They would listen to you. You know, people in the UK have degrees to do this. I was just a licensed tour guide and well, I think also has something to do with the accident Bretton as well.
Speaker 1: People sound smarter than that smart Possibly I really like wearing trousers right now if I like wearing pants.
Speaker 2: But how do I say this? There is a certain perversity to the Brits that they kind of hide, and I was able to tap into. So I started doing night tours with them, taking them to sex clubs, health fires and all these things. And you'd see these people in literally burbery skirts going to like at two o'clock in the morning and some guy was licking their toe at the bar. But that's what they were paying for. The first thing I realized was they weren't interested so much in the culture they study. They knew it. I gave them the tour, and then it was like, do you really want to see New York now? And so I would take them to a I wouldn't do the after hours first, I would do a night tour where I had a couple in the West Village, Irish Americans.
Speaker 1: We're doing We're doing the drink and they said.
Speaker 2: I went to them and I said, would you consider opening your house like three times a week to fifty breads each time, and they go and I said to have cocktails, and they went, well, we're middle class, we would have to serve our dirves too. I go, that's fine, and they had taken out a floor so it was like walking into a loft with a big garden on Jane Street. It was incredible. I found them just from knocking on doors you went to. People says this, use single family houses because people New Yorkers down in the village are very creative and they like that. So I sold the tour as a night out with the dinner at Chumley's, which was an old speakeasy on Barrows. I remember you had to go to somebody's house together, so first we would go to Bobby and Jack Gillen's place and have and they had a big rescue German shepherd that was crazy, was knocking drinks all over and they didn't understand the ritz asking. I love the way the British asked for you know, drinks, you know as it's poured, you know, Scotch, as it's poor, as its poor and or you know what is the other line they would say if they asked for not ginger ale, was it what's the common drink? Anyway, the the g would mix it up and put seven up instead, but all the drinks were filled up to the top, you know, so everybody was just falling out of the town is when is this in the eighties. We're talking late eighties, early nineties, so like the village a late seventeen.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, the village in the nineteen eighties and nineteen nineties is a different, slightly less family friendly village.
Speaker 2: Than it is now. I still think it's pretty artsy and there are some single family town homes. You know. The taxes became very expensive, and they were making They charged me at the time twenty dollars per person, so one hundred and fifty people a week times twenty dollars was good with the math, yeah, like a million dollars. Right. They were getting a million dollars a week off of me in cash, and they loved it. I was paying their taxes. It was like having someone.
Speaker 1: How did you get that, though, I mean, how did you get to.
Speaker 2: Oh? Right? Eh, I was doing it, and I just thought people wanted people were bored. You know, when when you were a tour guide in New York, you always sit on there seeing the people to see their reaction, right, and I could see everything was falling flat. It's like being a comedian going, oh my god, I've never experienced that. How dare you? How dare you not? You others have experienced that? Yeah, the way we I said, you know, let me come up with something different, because they kept asking how do people live in this city? And I was like, well, the same way they live in London. But really these weren't These weren't London refined people. These were people from you know, other parts of the suburbs and suburbs. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this though, what how did you know about the sex clubs?
Speaker 2: And I know that from a lot of tour guides started after hour. There was one guy named Giuseppe who lived on a house boat on seventy ninth Street and he would take four people. That's all we had were for it. Like at the time, nobody was really into it. We would go to do a sex club tour to take because they wanted to experience.
Speaker 1: I've got been to that sex club.
Speaker 2: Well it's you know, it's pretty much everything that you can imagine. People just like have sex and the other people it's more about a fetish and less about the sex, right, So it's all of the you know, there's a lot of licking and there's a lot of playing and toying.
Speaker 1: It's like that's dogs the.
Speaker 2: Dogs. Well now at our age. Yeah, I mean I get discussed be my dog lives up his leg when he goes to the bathroom. I don't want to see that people.
Speaker 1: So if you're in a sex club tour and you go to the sex club, will someone say, hege you want your leg linked and the lick your leg and stuff that they loved it. I feel like I was just annoying and it didn't ever get your legs And that was an optional tour. That was that was included in the price, so you should now they'd be going, so you want you like lick it's actually once.
Speaker 2: You go in there like whether you like it or not any or not. Yeah, that's it. You were just you had to participate. I don't I don't know. Well, Hell's Fire used to be below fourteenth Street on where the Guggenheim is now, but you used to have to check your clothes to get in and just have your underwear on. Then they would say to me, Look, you're coming in with these people. We understand, but we can't just have like onlookers. They have to kind of participate. So I said, less is more. That was the tour would go. They took the I mean, forty people is a lot. I started out with four and four were paying five hundred each. It was so expensive. And you know who, let's talk cultures now. The Italians loved it. The Italians take them my clothes off. The British were wanted the experience. I'd like to have my leg lit.
Speaker 1: Why I'm on a New York part of the experience it was.
Speaker 2: It was magical, And that's how that kind of started. It started for me just saying I.
Speaker 1: Lived in New York round about time. Well, I was here in the mid eighties, early.
Speaker 2: Mid eight we probably cross paths. Maybe, well i've done.
Speaker 1: And I remember the only sex club I'd heard of and I never went there, but I always wanted to go.
Speaker 2: It was a place called Plato's God's So seventies was that seventies? Oh my god, that was Brazil. That was like the first one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well no, I just remember seeing ads for it in the Village Voice and I was like, oh, I really want to go because like a Scottish Protestant boy, I'm like, oh, I bet they've got little jumpers off in there.
Speaker 2: You were, you were, you were ready to roll. The big one was Hell's Fire, and then the less Squalito which was underneath Port Authority bus terminal, and there were drag shows. I was doing theater then as well. You know, when I travel, I know this sounds ridiculous, but I always hire a private Like in Prague, I hired a private tour guide to go to a sex club. I wanted to see everything. Not the sex clubs, no, but I wanted to see off the beaten path, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: What is the sex club's good, Well, it sounds like the beaten path if you forgive the fun, well, the the but the I I kind of I'm fascinated by this. But the idea that all of this is it still going on others those sex clubs.
Speaker 2: I'm too old. I go to bed at nine. Now what, I'm sure they are passed the baton to a lovely group of people. The beauty is you buy and you sell. I think the gen zs they don't, they don't have, they don't. Everything's done online apparently. Yeah, you remember the days when you met someone in a bar and then you would hook up, and then after they left, you took your clothing and hung it on the radiator because it smelled of smoke and that was the only way the smoke would get it. I mean that's how I would set my clothes on fire. It never happened. You were very you would have been a star on this tour.
Speaker 1: But the the idea of it, though, I think apps have probably taken that all of that away, like because you you can like if you want. I mean right back in the day when some of the like real kind of full on clubs in the village, I think that's probably all ungraineder and tender. Yeah, that's I don't think there's gonna you strap into your leather and get your whistle and go nuts in a dark room.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe I'm too old for this, but I'm hearing now. You can just meet people, I mean they track you. You can be in the same restaurant and say let's meet in the men's room. I've had friends that constantly say they hook up, like in the moment, I.
Speaker 1: Feel there might be you can get will be fresh STDs coming in.
Speaker 2: If it's that easy, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I feel like you shouldn't you interview someone a little bit?
Speaker 2: I would think so, but I mean they can read your bio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess no one can hide really, I mean it's kind of like you can't assume an identity now, you can't.
Speaker 2: I bet the majority of people that are together have met online.
Speaker 1: You know, I think probably no, I think, yeah, if you're in how did you meet fluid?
Speaker 2: Did you mind? You may know? Really AOL you put money in the machine and it was one of those yep, wow, he's not gonna like that. I said that.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's fine. I think it's uh. I mean, we can cut it out. But it's it's kind of amazing to me that you must have been quite early adopters.
Speaker 2: Then it was the beginning AOL.
Speaker 1: You've got mail, someone wants to lick your leg, and it.
Speaker 2: Was fun, it was mysterious. It was that and a nice way, that erotic place of that took place of going to a sex club because you had this fantasy of what the person was going to be like when you met them, right, and obviously it worked out twenty something. Well, yeah, you guys have long, long time baby. Yeah, but that's okay, that's good. Yes, it's excellent.
Speaker 1: Hello, this is Craig Ferguson and I want to let you know I have a brand new stand up comedy special out now on YouTube. It's called I'm So Happy and I would be so happy if you checked it out. To watch the special, just go to my YouTube channel at the Greig Vergison Show and is this right there? Just click it and play it and it's free.
Speaker 2: I can't look.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna come rund your husband show you how to do it. If you can't do it, then you can't have it.
Speaker 2: But if you can.
Speaker 1: Figure it out, it's yours. So how did that turn into the wedding thing?
Speaker 2: Then? Because you you tourists? Said to me, two British tourists, I'll never forget. They said, we really loved your tour Dino. I said, well it's Gino actually, and they said, would you helpless get married? I'm going to call you prefer like, I mean, would I help you get married?
Speaker 3: And I'm thinking is there a dollar to be made in there? So I said, I'll get back to you. What hotel you and I'll be right there, ran down his city hall and it's when they have the old bulletproof windows. It was like the set of Barney Miller. Ye take a number.
Speaker 2: And then I looked a little bit into it. I realized that I could coordinate these weddings because countries are different, like the UK when I from my recollection, you file and it's eleven days you have to wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you also have to be interviewed by the Ringing monarchy.
Speaker 2: And Paris in France it's two weeks and you must eat a certain so vegas. It's like, what are you doing later? So we are twenty four hours in New York, right, And that was always established to give the couple time to realize are we going to do we really want?
Speaker 1: Like you can get married twenty four hours a day, you have to wait twenty twenty four Like buying a.
Speaker 2: Gun yep, right, okay, yeah, is that what it is for a gun? Jeez, I don't know.
Speaker 1: What it is in New York where there are certain states, the state where I have my other place go buy a gun.
Speaker 2: I'll remember when I just remember that when you come to be rude, to remember I'm as citizen and I have a driver's life. I think you know what I'm saying. Oh my god. So yeah, so I realized I could do it, and then I coordinated it, and then it just happened. I opened up this company. The tour company was called Ultimate USA Tours, and then I opened up Ultimate USA Weddings and we had contracts with British Airways, Koiwone, Virgin Holidays, everyone. So we would package the weddings weddings abroad and they would sell them, and so I would give them a discount of rate. But we would get you know, you come and get married in New York, and then we would arrange for the license, we would script the ceremony. We would get oh yeah, I got ordained online. So you're a rabbi, Gino, you're a rab I'm a vicar. You're a vicar, a rabbi, I'm an officiant, all right. So you have no your it's a secular position. You have no religious Well, I mean, I will do anything as long as I don't have to slaughter an animal. There's no sack anything I will do. I've done, Yamica's I've done. You know, I did a Jewish wedding because my friend married an orthodox guy and for some reason, his divorce had not been completely finished yet, right, And so they had this two hundred person highly orthodox wedding and they went through the whole ceremony, but it wasn't legal. And then three days later when I met them in a Mexican restaurant on Ninth Avenue, because I mean.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of getting married in a Mexican restaurant.
Speaker 2: I think that. I mean, I like the idea. Again, we go back to that kind of slightly perverse thing of like, oh my god, nobody knows this is a force except me. And in three days, when the divorce clears, I'm going to meet them at you know, El Cantona or whatever. The Mexican place was, La Cantina, and we're going to make this official. So that's what I started doing.
Speaker 1: That's it. I mean, we spent quite a lot of time together talking.
Speaker 2: You didn't know that. I just it's never come up. You just never don't.
Speaker 1: I talk about myself a lot, Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: No? We talk about you. No, we talk about Megan and how beautiful she is.
Speaker 1: We talk about my wife and how beautiful she is, very beautiful, and she's fun but I will say I'm married two thousand people, good lord, and of them were Brits.
Speaker 2: And you guys do it the interesting way. Where's different that Americans should listen to. I can attest to this. You meet in school, this is the general brit You meet school, definitely, you date, you buy a house together, you have a child, and then you fly to New York and dino marriage you Well, you know why why?
Speaker 1: Because the tax in Britain, you get no tax break for being married in brent You feel really yeah, if you're if you're married to someone, they file a tax return, You file a tax return. There's no violent joint filing. There's no that's not going to happen. So there's no financial incentive to get married. You get married because you you want to get married, but there's no kind of like if we get married, you know it's I don't know, it's different.
Speaker 2: Well, out of two thousand weddings, I probably did only one hundred Americans.
Speaker 1: Can you tell when people immediately as soon as you can touch you know, how many of them have last.
Speaker 2: I'm dying to know. I do see on Facebook like they're having kids, and in my case, some of them are even had their kids are having kids. I want to kill myself. It will till I see that, I know, but very few times I'll get an email going, hey he died. I mean, what a show that would be. I'm telling you, if you put me on the evening news in the UK, people would just their their teacups would shake. They would go, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, that's our that's the that's she's the wedding guy. That's do you know.
Speaker 2: The wedding Do you know the wedding of the wedding guy? I know it's Dina from New York.
Speaker 1: He's back and he's married us.
Speaker 2: Do you like that? Would be a fun reality show? Driving through the UK to see who's you know? Who's a great idea.
Speaker 1: I think we should do it and fight. I think you and I should do it together.
Speaker 2: Who's driving? I can't drive there because I get confused on the other side of the road. I'm such a good New York.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you what I tell everyone when they talk about my early sexuality.
Speaker 2: I so you've got to try it both ways.
Speaker 1: Before you know, before you know which you prefer, So you know if you like driving.
Speaker 2: On one side. Tried driving on the other side. See what it feels like. Then you'll know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes people can drive on any site.
Speaker 2: It's not the size as much. You know. It drives me crazy in the UK. Oh god, they're the worst.
Speaker 1: They are terrible and I always miss it and I hate that they're coming to America now and there's starting. Oh yeah, you if you go outside of Manhattan, which I don't like to do, as you know, but if you do there, they have roundabouts, they have the traffic circles and they and you know, Americans are not great with them.
Speaker 2: We're not great. Or yeah, I know, I'll be very careful. It's horrible. Yeah, when you.
Speaker 1: Go to targets or places like that. You know in the suburbs they have.
Speaker 2: Them, they have them. Okay, well I'll look out for them.
Speaker 1: But I think that's a good idea. I could drive you around. I can show you where things are in Britain, and we can go and meet the uh, the people that you got married or the grandchildren. It's significant. I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: I actually have been in bars with my partner. I was in the Hamptons once and a drink came over and the guy said, that woman said that you married her and in the UK, I got stopped a few times every time we go to London. I know the odds, and I think I sent a picture. But I was sitting in a cafe in New York City and a woman I'm sitting and so I'm facing the window with a friend, just having like a lunch, and this woman kept walking by staring at me. I was like whatever, and I'm talking to her, and then finally she put her phone up to the window and it said, GINO you married my husband. You uncle and I ten years ago was the cover of my book. That's what it is. It's her like this with the picture and on her I'm not the picture of her on her iPhone. And I was like, oh my god. Of course I didn't remember her, but it was.
Speaker 1: See I get out with late night. I did over two thousand late nights. When I think about it, you did as many weddings as I did it on late night.
Speaker 2: That's that. Don't let's think about the price difference. Jesus shoot me, well, I don't like volunteer work. What I did, I don't how much were they paying you for a wedding? Nothing? Really, I mean, we would just rack it up. With like, do you want hair and makeup? How about a limousine? You know anything I could sell. I'm the extra guys, you know, I like to sell the other stuff.
Speaker 1: About the Did you ever do it like a sex club night before thing?
Speaker 2: Did you? I've taken it back to the sex those weren't I didn't do that, but I did marry a couple in bed at the Plaza Hotel. They were in bed, come in. I was like, who was the witness? Were you the witness? There was My assistant, Marissa used to come to the weddings with me and she would have the license and everything, and I go, I would go, what are we walking into? She goes, I don't know they paid blah blah blah. I said, great, you know sometimes we would do ten eleven weddings a day. I didn't like that. Oh yeah, I mean, how do you get to two thousand and a lot of these people stayed together. I don't know. I have no idea. There was one really interesting one where Marissa said to me and she was a beautiful, she's still alive, beautiful Latin American girl, and she said, I think the groom has a crush on me and the groom was very handsome, and then the bride came down. It was I think it was also at the plaza down the stairs, and the moment she was at the stairs, she saw the connection between my assistant and you know, and then she turned around and walked away. Yeah. Oh, I've had a lot of grooms say I can't go through with it our brides incredible. The most embarrassing moment though, is you know what it is when you go to city hall with the British couple they have to write down who their parents are on the license and a lot of them don't know in Britain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my mom, mostly we pro create by children floating down the river at baskets.
Speaker 2: He was like, I said, I used to save them ALTI And then if they say that they can't go through the paperwork, so we would have to say in advance so you're clear about your putting your parents down, because if not, John Doe is a perfect name. Just anything you want to write John Doe, it just goes on the license. Who cares that? Well? Isn't that fascinating that things you learn? Like what a moment for somebody to say I don't know who my father was My mother met him in a bar and that was it. Now it'd be like, you know, okay, it's probably not even on the license anymore.
Speaker 1: But I feel like soon you'll have to do like you'll have to give blood so they can keep tracking.
Speaker 2: That was the old days. You had to do blood tests. Did you really?
Speaker 1: Yes, they have that thing, and they have that app. You've heard this app. It's in Iceland. So many people are related that they have this app, so you have to check to see you're not related to the part.
Speaker 2: What else are you going to do in Iceland? Well, I mean, you know, two hours of light a day, you're gonna yet, you know, let's go and see by the way. But reindeer, I don't think so. They want to know I'm not eating that. Oh they eat you know.
Speaker 1: The only time I've been to Iceland, I stopped at Wreckuvig Airport for uh the change planes, and I had some Icelandic chocolate, the worst chocolate.
Speaker 2: I ever tasted at to go right through it tasted like seal. There's nothing bigger than British chocolate. Yeah, British chocolate. It's the best, I think, so oh my Cadbury that forget it. This is crapier. I haven't had a Hershey bar since I was There's a pretty good chocolate in New York. I know what. I know what you're saying.
Speaker 1: The mass produced chocolate is probably not as good as the British stuff.
Speaker 2: But I will say.
Speaker 1: This the it's the crisps in Britain again. The chips they have like yuck and you know, spaghetti flavored chips.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're unbelievable. They're delicious and they're delicious. Here we get your doritles.
Speaker 1: But what we do here is we dippleman things. They don't diprimant things in Britain because they don't need to. They're ready delicious. I gained so much weight when I go to Britain, like I'm still working on.
Speaker 2: Getting you were looking very felt. We got thank you, I have been You're really doing it well.
Speaker 1: I've got this scrout this game show coming up, and I'm doing scrabble, so I felt like all my late night show suits, I was like, I'll just wear them on this game show, and none of them fit me.
Speaker 2: So now you're gonna have to borrow my clothes.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's all right. First of all, I've got but I can get into them again now. Yeah, I'm very excited about it. I haven't had a good dress. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: You are. You know exactly what to wear.
Speaker 1: I feel like if you're in a suit, you're in charge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a power thing. Yeah, I know. I still wear them. Yeah, I mean I always wear a jacket. I mean, look, I'm out.
Speaker 1: You always wear a nice jacket on a Citi bike bike where I'm always on Citi Bike.
Speaker 2: It's my porn. I love it. I don't know if it's just that I'm cheap or what, because I have saved thousands of dollars because I don't love the subway so much anymore. I at love the crowds. And I get because I'm a suburban kid and I grew up on a bike. I get stimulated when I'm on a bike. It excites me. I get really.
Speaker 1: Explained it like in a sex club.
Speaker 2: That we're back to those clubs. Yeah, just fascinating. I just love to get Yeah, that was what a life. I love to get on the bike. It makes me happy. I would have rode here, but I was like.
Speaker 1: I'm actually going to take a bike home. You are, Yeah, because the I just find out that you could. There's a city bike place just next to the studio. Then I'm jumping on and then you can go over. They have a bike land on the Williamsburg Bridge. You can go right over.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe that's what I'll do. Ye. I just came from a closing from a mutual who you know, a very talented actors apartment. I just sold what a journey today?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Is that that that good? Today? We won't say who closed, We won't say who it is. That's very happy. I'll bet so he sold it, sold it right done? That's good news. Is he leaving New York? No? He has another place? All right? Okay, because I sold him? I which ib we doing? With you two? Going? Yeah? Yeah, John? Are you ready to move? She's now? Yeah. No. When we find out what the next door neighbor is going for, like cellular work on her longevity, she's then you're gonna have to move. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like the the when I moved back to New York like two years ago. Really, when you you kind of plugged me back into the city. I I kind of regret ever leaving I do. I feel like this is this is the this is the best study for me.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just feel like this one works for me more than any other place I've been in New York City work.
Speaker 2: I mean, don't you think you get more material here than anywhere? Oh my god, I can't even imagine you guys in California. I didn't know you then, but it's like it's so remote out there.
Speaker 1: Well, the kids are really young, so you know, we were kind of like, you're in that world then you're kind of dealing with It's all like.
Speaker 2: But that's one cycle.
Speaker 1: Well we had too because Myla was young when Megan and I met, and then when he was about nine years old, he was just over nine years old. Liam was born'siga right back into it again, right right, And so it kind of lasted quite a long time.
Speaker 2: My god, he's gonna he just loves New York, doesn't he? Liam? Oh yeah, he's crazy for it. It's perfect for you.
Speaker 1: I mean, it kind of It's an interesting thing because I was talking to us about it today. We were walking over the street here just in Brooklyn, and Tina the crossing guard I would have been working here a couple of days. Tina the crossing Guard stops the traffic we're walking over the road. She starts talking about when did you get your first tattoo? I got my friend she's talking about her tattoos.
Speaker 2: Now we know that.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we got together a nice call for right right the way back right. And this city has I think and people go crazy. Well, people who don't know don't believe it. This is the friendly city I've ever been in my life. This is the fabric of New York.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable. You will never see a more And I love to know where I stand and New York. You will always tell you and I'm the same way. It's like, that's a lovely dress. What do you mean lovely? It's great. It's the most increasing you know they and it's not an insult. It's just them. Everyone stakes their claim here. It's it's the most amazing city for that.
Speaker 1: It has a certain directness which I really appreciate. It was once I was doing it, I started doing a Bill Clinton in person.
Speaker 2: Oh really, yeah. I used to do that late night, like.
Speaker 1: That was pretty much all I did. But it was kind of a regular gig guy. I used to do it late night and I was walking down the street in New York and a guy shouted really literally from a construction say a guy with a heart, and went, hey, Ferguson, nice Clinton.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that worth it? Yeah? It kind of was.
Speaker 1: Actually, I've had a lot of coffee.
Speaker 2: Have you do you drink a lot of coffee? Now? I do not because we got your coffee. But I love it. No, I needed this little thing. These. I'm doing these walkthroughs right now. I have another one today. It's the pre closing. Didn't we do it in your apartment? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I didn't see the apartment till after I bought it, Megan Memory, I have to.
Speaker 2: Say, I'm noticing that. Another thing is I you know, I will say that I'm coming up with a knack of taking an apartment online and saying that's the one for you. Yeah. Well you well you gave me like a five block radio, so well that was.
Speaker 1: Very specific and where I want it to be. Yeah, I mean because that because look, location, location, location, Lord.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great. Well we can it's over. But you're but women, I mean, who knows, cut this out if you don't want to do it. But women are fantastic to shop with for real estate. Yeah, they really just kind of get the whole thing. Well, I think men like to come in and they're more about the numbers, definitely, and they kicked the tires as the approval thing. You know, it's like, okay, what do we got here? You know what's the pros? And there you're much more vocal about the pros and cons. Women, it's more of a nesting See my family in here. It's not so much the kitchen, it's just the whole vibe of the place. And then they throw in their decorator hat. It's like, yeah, I'm that's one of the things I'm very glad about. Megan. She's amazed she's the.
Speaker 1: Design Yeah, yeah, it's pretty good. How did you end up going to real estate from.
Speaker 2: I just love I've always loved real estate. And we were living out in LA and we used to go to Santa Barber We used to go to Palm Springs and I would look at these homes and go, holy shit, this must be fun. If I can't afford to live in it, I might as well sell it. And so we were going to make our life out there. But then my partner did the option the right to share his life story and did the share show on Broadway. So I knew I was coming back. I was already running the businesses in New York and they were running and so I came back and pivoted and just got my license, and then I was doing weddings and real estate, which was incredibly stressful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like that's a low because people You're dealing with people at two different points in the life where there's a law of emotion involved.
Speaker 2: Right, I already know what my next position is. Like, I am one of those people at any age have no problem reinventing myself. I'm literally like a person who if I'm not happy doing it or f I'm saturated the wedding business. After ten years, I was like, I'm done right, and I had no problem. I don't look at it and go, God, i'm a certain age, I'll never get a job. I don't do any of that. If it's meant to be, I just move forward with it.
Speaker 1: I think that's very healthy. I also think that's New York a little bit. And I think this is a city like la and by extrapolation of that show business I think, and which everything is show business. Everything getting this is somehow shameful, Like you mustn't.
Speaker 2: You must go.
Speaker 1: You must like have you know, surgeries, and you must look young, feel young all the time. And I think in New York that's lass of an issue is like have a nice coat, right.
Speaker 2: Right, So I think the next thing for me, well, I love real estate right now. I mean, look, it's great, but it is a relationship business, like weddings were a relationship business. Oh literally, yeah, you know, I mean it really is. But there is a thing in the UK and I can't remember what it's called. I remember a brit telling me this, which was that when somebody dies, there's a man that comes in and does the service. But he's called something. He's not the vicar of obviously, he's called the and it's got to come to me anyway. That's what I would love to do in New York. Well, yeah, work on that. I mean, I'm gonna skip the divorces because who wants to do that. That's just an attorney. There's no fun in that. But like the celebration of life thing, oh what are they called? The person who comes in? There is a person these humanists humanists, yes, yeah, and now even religious like the Catholic Church, no one is doing the wakes and people that I know. It is just at two they're just doing one day a celebration, right change now, I think a little bit that's true.
Speaker 1: We had on the podcast William Villanova.
Speaker 2: Oh what a name. I love it.
Speaker 1: He's lovely man. He's the head of the the you know, the big funeral.
Speaker 2: Chapel on Madison. Oh my god, yes, I go there all the time. Campbell's Frank Campbell's Oh my god, he is. Yeah, he's that's he's the guy in charge. Oh that is a great guest to have.
Speaker 1: He was fabulous. Why I didn't know about about funerals and like to be in his position that's like a four year college degree. Oh yeah, I mean he's like I mean, I think he does everything though, from you know, soup to nuts.
Speaker 2: I guess that is the place the place to be honored value that in the Riverside Memorial, Riverside Church. So so what would you do? Like, Like, I would script something like I love having lessons more. I loved writing a ceremony. I had a template and the bride and groom I would go, tell give me something that you love about you know whatever, And I wouldn't tell her and I wouldn't share it with him, and so it became like a moment. It wasn't necessarily a lot of times emotional, but at least they have you could see, you could feel the moment in the room. That's what's you know what I know.
Speaker 1: You go to you've been to Italy recent course.
Speaker 2: Right when you go.
Speaker 1: To Italy, do you ever go around the graveyards and yes, have you noticed this new trend where they have the video of the deceased that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, it's it's weird at the graveyard on the on the tombstone.
Speaker 1: The tombstone, you mean you push something in there, you can make a little video so that you're like, it's genius.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's me. I'm well, you know, enjoy your art. I love that. Yeah, you put a little video on your tombstone. Oh my god, what a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not so sure. I mean because look, imagine you're like your old your grandpa, and someone goes and says, hey, can't buy it's time to make the video. You're like, no, I'm fine, No, it's you know, it's a fine.
Speaker 2: Grandfather would have just given me instructions on life. I told you not to take that job.
Speaker 1: But I mean I feel like, first of all, I don't know how long is that video gonna last. I mean, the stone's going to be there for a while, but.
Speaker 2: The video just thinking, I'm just thinking, like somebody's just gonna take it. Well, who's gonna who?
Speaker 1: Kind of heartless monsters?
Speaker 2: It's it's a piece of like an iPhone, isn't it. I mean, what do you do?
Speaker 1: I think there's a little there's a little kind of uh solar thing on the top for power supply.
Speaker 2: And then it kind of I love that idea.
Speaker 1: I think once you go, like when I go, I'm not coming. I don't want Aren't you going to be cremated? No Viking funeral?
Speaker 2: I think, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Actually, you know, in all seriousness taking.
Speaker 2: Up space, I think that is such an ego thing. No Viking funeral.
Speaker 1: You get burned, you do, yeah, boat boat out to see and your children fire flaming iris onto the boat and then you burn as it. I know, if you go to Valhalla, tuble is trouble is I think if that ends, if I end up in Valhalla, I'm going to be the sassiest of Valhalla there is I'm no way qualified to sit around.
Speaker 2: You know, you're never going to die. So you've been spared on so many levels. You have you should would on so many levels in this room right now. There's been a couple.
Speaker 1: Of times, but things where back then things were a little more like like in New York when you were doing the tours. Do you ever ran any danger these because late night in New York back then it was kind of different.
Speaker 2: No, But I do see or hear about a lot of people that I was in business with are dying, you like, have died, you know, the sad things, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it freaks me out.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: People that are contemporaries and they like die and like why could they die?
Speaker 2: You know, it's really weird.
Speaker 1: You run into people that you knew from back in the day and they look really old, And I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, it's a compliment for me that, you know, do I look? I know, you go back and you go, do I look like that? Yeah? I know, I do. Do that. You know what you get for that, a three way mirror. I told my partner that three way mirror. You got to see yourself from every ankle, because there are certain ankles I see myself when I'm trying on a pair of pounds, and I go sis, and I realized it's no old guy in the room with me. It's me from the side.
Speaker 1: So as long as I'm looking directly in the mirror.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you remember the old thing about when you see a hot girl, she was hotter walking away or coming towards you. It was never both, you know. I mean, it's you have to make sure it all ties in, right. I don't know that I'm ready for a three way mirror. Okay, well, well I come and look at mine. If you stand there naked and you change fourteen, well, I mean, then you know what you gotta do. I gotta call. I don't know. I'd like, you've had no work done, you look great, you're rugged, you're ready. Well, God bless you know not me. I've had work. No, you have? Have you absolutely a little tweaking here and there.
Speaker 1: I'm into it. I'm going I want to mega. I I want to see a cosmetic dermatologist. Oh really, yeah, I want to I want to have like all the same you.
Speaker 2: Want to do that like CO two laser thing? What's that is that? Like they burn your face off and come back looking like an eleven year old. I don't think that's the best look for you, but it probably isn't It kind of one of those you see them and go, gipe baby or something. Now I'm doing I'm into the stem cell thing? Was that? So they do a little they remove your stem cells. I have to go. It's kind of a lipos suction thing, which is discussed. I don't do well with needles, so I'd have to be out for everything, which I love being. I love that's look if it was proven, Oh my god, count back from one hundred. Yeah. And then they send your stem cells to Virginia to a lab and they harvest them, and then four to six months later you get some of them back on a drip and they put them in and all after you do it three times, all the ages and pain start to go away. That moment of getting out of bed in the morning going is gone. You're now the eighteen year old. So it's all cellular work and it's age reversal, but not so much the exterior the interior, which is who do I What do I care? As long as I'm feeling young inside. Yeah, I'm hearing. I have two people that I've tapped into one is a big, big person and it's really helped her knees and she's completely, uh, I know, don't go there, leave that alone. You knowing those young guys, is it? Is it very? Is it very? No? I know where you're going.
Speaker 1: I've reached the point light where I hear it.
Speaker 2: But stuff for these And I'm like, but that's what happens. You just you know, don't drink and don't die, is they say? Isn't it true? It happens overnight, especially with men. And listen, statistically, men do not lasts as long as women. Well I've noticed that. Yeah, I mean that is scary. It is a little bit. But you do you feel the great beyond? No? What do you mean? Do I feel like I'm at the end of my life? No? I mean do you What do you think happens after you die? I think you're I think it's all energy and you're reincarnated and it's just energy.
Speaker 1: Right, So you don't think it's like, you know, angry Santo in a club.
Speaker 2: I think you're you know, you know, I'm not. I don't even think you're trying to work out the stuff you couldn't work out in this life. In the next life, I think you just immediately are reincarnated. It's a sole thing.
Speaker 1: But but reincarnated is energy, not like like as a hamster or something.
Speaker 2: Maybe, who knows, God, I hope not. I hope I'm a rescue hamster, because you know the word rescue is just like living at the plaza.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know how many rescue hamsters are living in it, but I don't even if hamsters actually qualify as a rescue animal. I'm sure that there are rescue hamsters, but I mean it's usually like cats.
Speaker 2: Seen them on menus, let's put it that way. Oh no, oh yeah, I mean it's certain places. People fry up anything. Oh no, I couldn't eat I know that.
Speaker 1: Megan when she was in South America, she was offered guinea pig, and I think Peru.
Speaker 2: I couldn't eat a guinea pig. That's horrible. Yeah, that'd be bad. My dad used to eat rabbit. My parents. You to eat rabbit too, That's a delicacy. Yeah, it's so sad. French. The Italians will eat that horse. Oh yeah, all of that stuff. I can't eat. God, let's not talk about that. Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm mostly veggie now anyway you are. Yeah, I was vegan for a long time and then I didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't think I could do that, but I'm almost veggie. Yeah, I'll be a pesca pescatarian.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I don't you eat the shalefish.
Speaker 2: I'm not as much. Well, my partners goes intown in phylactic shocks, so that limits.
Speaker 1: Megan is Oh really, she's terribly allergic to shrimp, was my partner.
Speaker 2: So I mean I down to an occasional lobster prima era thing, but I don't even love it that much.
Speaker 1: No, I kin'dt eat see me, I don't eat. I could eat it, I don't. I'm not allergic to it. I think it's a bug. I think these things.
Speaker 2: Like a crab, a lobster. It's just a large underwar bug. Well they say they're bottom feeders. Did they are bottom?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: I mean what you're right up? I think I'm going to go to bottom feeds. I think we're going to go back to those sex tours again. I want to go on the UK Evening News and go let's not talk about weddings. Let's talk about how many of you people went on that Geno sex Yeah, the Geno sext Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was magical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was magical, dropping them off at four o'clock in the morning and then getting up and doing it all over again. It was the cycle. They'd come in on a Thursday, we would do Friday tour, Saturday night, Saturday night sex club, Sunday hangover, shopping, and then they would leave Monday and I'd drop them off and pick up the next group.
Speaker 1: I find that fascinating.
Speaker 2: It was the greatest gig and I loved it. I loved just it was just freedom and it was being on. It was reading the room and people were like, you know, the boring tours were when you had like IBM Incentive tour and those guys didn't want you know, I didn't do those. Those were horrible because you're just about New York City. I did learn a lot about New York. I know all the history, which is why we why I love real estate so much, because I love those beautiful pre war the architecture, the history of New York building buildings around people who didn't want to leave their little rent stabilized apartment like on the I know buildings on the Eastie. There are books about this, which is fascinating for me. They've offered them millions of dollars, will buy you an apartment, we'll move out, and they won't go, and they have to build an entire building around a little townhouse. But some woman on the fourth floor, it's like, uh, it's just unbelievable. Yeah, that's crazy. Thank you for being on, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: You're the best you know, or maybe if you're if you write the stakes, you're written repea