Speaker 1: The New York Mets have finally traded Freddie Peralta. We got rid of aj mint Or. Freddie Peralta is the next domino to fall, going to the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for three prospects from their system. The Mets are getting Aiden Smith, a million p tray, and Gary gil Hill. We're going to talk about all the prospects coming back to the Mets, as well as briefly what this trade means before get going into it. Makes sure you guys are subscribed two met stuff over here on YouTube for all the Mets content coming at you, and if you're listening to us Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Drops the Rain drops a review, download and subscribe. I was hoping for a top one hundred prospect. We did not get close to a top one hundred prospect. It feels underwhelming, but I guess now, with the context of the Trek Schooble trade and just of what we've got from Freddy Peralta in general, I think this is actually probably the right package back.
Speaker 2: I think this is a totally fine package. We've talked about a lot heading into this trade deadline. I talked about on a lot of my channel recently too. You don't really get many literal top hundred prospects trade at the deadline, ever, which you're trying to do is get guys who can be top hundred prospects next year. Yes, that's kind of the goal of the trade deadline. I think the Mets got one and a half prospects who have a chance to be top hundred prospects within the next twelve months. I think the big one is Emmanuel Ptray a double amptre Amelia p.
Speaker 3: Tray, Emilia a million, a million, yeah, French.
Speaker 2: He's born in Montreal, which is unbelievable for a baseball prospect. Two cold weather prospects here, which in Mets couch I feel like they kind of love right now. But he's raking in double A right now, advanced approach from the left side, super elite hit tool, and it seems like they just probably think they can coax some more pull side power out of him, and then you have a left handed hitting second basement with plus plus hit and hopefully at least average to plus power. Yeah, that's like a that's a fine profile.
Speaker 1: I wish that we had some exafilos on these guys, just so that we could get a little bit more of a sense of like what the raw power could look like. But I think the Mets are doing the approach that we've talked about before, where they're looking for guys with one very very good trait and then hoping that they can build around the rest of it. So, like you said, with a million p tray, he is a contact king. He is striking out like under eleven percent of the time right now in Double A. He's walking a ton, he gets on base, doesn't chase at all, doesn't whiff, is super patient at the plate, hits a ton of ground balls, almost never pulls the ball in the air. But this is a contact first guy that I would assume the Mets are hoping they can coax a little bit more power, like you said, pull side power, doing stuff in the air a little bit more, and can play second base.
Speaker 3: So that's what it felt like for me with Petre.
Speaker 2: Definitely just to give the stats at Double A this year, again in a twenty three year old, so average age for the level can't really add much. So it's at least nice that he's destroying Double A. But thirty seven games there, it's a three twenty three average, a four point fifty on base and sorry, just I had to get my discord off. That beating was pissing me off. And a four to ninety two slug for one to fifty five WRC plus only three home runs. Like you said, very little power, but eighteen percent walks in ten percent strikeouts. Is that's a guy that's very much too advanced for that level.
Speaker 3: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: It's not the same athleticism, it's not the same defensive value, but doesn't strike me that differently. Good, Try and find watch some videos right now with him swinging the bat of a profile to aj ewing, where again it's like, we want to make sure you could have an a swing where you could hunt for power when you need it. Because your hit tool and your approach are so good, we have no concerns with you working deep into accounts and being in poor leverage spots in individual at bats. So if we can actually get you to make a swings with power early accounts when you have the advantage, you know you're getting something middle in and you can eventually find fifteen home run power with.
Speaker 1: The rest of your tools. Probably a plus player at some point. Yeah, if you could just flash middling power. This completely changes the ceiling of a player that a guy like Ptray could be, which I guess we'll just wait and see. I love that you're saying the aj ewing thing because I do think you see a lot of organizations do this if they've had success with an archetype of player before, they look for those players again because they.
Speaker 3: Just have the proof that it's worked.
Speaker 2: And at least he's a solid second base defender as well. Okay, we have some exit velocity day they shout out of TJ stats for this a one hundred three mile per hour EV ninety and a forty three percent hard hit rate from p Tray at double A, so that is a bit below average. There's also not that different from Jefferson Rojas as we shouted it out as a prospect that was a fringe top hundred guy that we thought was like thet case return for Freddie Peralta. But I think again it's it's a breakout season from a guy who aged level is not great, but growing up in Montreal and playing baseball Kentucky, he could baseball.
Speaker 3: Per our game.
Speaker 2: But this is someone that you probably could expect a little bit more of a late stage breakout. This isn't sexy. And again, this isn't a prospect. Everybody knows he's something that we live and breathed.
Speaker 3: This stuff. We learned about HM an hour ago, and.
Speaker 2: It's just like, but doing this research in I'm like, I'm not I'm not at all mad about this return whatsoever.
Speaker 1: No, the other two prospects that have heard the names of Gary gil Hill I think has flashed at times before the last eighty great name, Yeah, eighty great name. Absolutely Gary gil Hill. I hope he does well just simply on the name. I want to Gil Hill Jersey one day. But he's a name that's flashed on top one hundreds a couple of years ago. I think he's kind of taken a little bit of a step back the previous two seasons in twenty five and twenty twenty six. You mentioned he's a local kid. The thing with Gary gil Hill, we talk about traits and having some sort of it seems like elite trait that we can then build off of. All he does is throw strikes. He does not throw balls. He doesn't walk any guys. And the other interesting to here is that with the lack of walks, he does get a ton of chase, which is super interesting for a guy who gets almost no whips and no swing and miss.
Speaker 3: Do you know what he's going to be? What's he gonna be? An edge lord? Edge lord?
Speaker 2: He's deep pitch mixed. I think he was throwing six ish pitches. The Rays have apparently tried to add Velo because he came up as a as a skinny kid. Another high school draftee from New Rochelle to shout out in New York for this one. I think he went to JFJAS, JFK Catholic, JFK Catholic. But he's someone that again seemingly slots into being a backman end, a mid to back end rotation starter where if you can find more swing and miss, which probably has come from velocity or just slightly manipulating some pitch shapes, but seems like he has the ability to do that as a guy who's been able to pick up more pitches as he's been a minor leaguer. It's probably just again a fine back end dude. Like it's let's let's try and do the thought exercise of comparing these two guys to Jet Williams and Brandon Sprote.
Speaker 3: Was he a dude?
Speaker 1: By the way, did he pitch for Team Great Britain and like look nasty like against USA for like two winnings. Wasn't that a thing that happened? I think it was that happened. I feel like that Gary. This name is so funny, Gary gil Hill, Gary gil Hill World Baseball Classic. Like I feel like he had like a really good inning and then because of Team Great Britain the left him in a little.
Speaker 3: Bit too long. Yeah, he actually did. Okay, we could remembory, he could memory right there. Wow.
Speaker 2: Funny enough, Team England, Big England Podcast. But it feels like it just it really doesn't feel like that bad of a return to me. I'm not I'm not kind of kind of happy about this, Like I would.
Speaker 1: Have preferred the returns that we were talking about, but that doesn't seem like it was even remotely on the table. So it's like, get that out of our brain. Seeing this trade tells me that it wasn't even slightly close to that.
Speaker 3: I called the Rays. I was called the Rays. You called the school ol package. He called the Rays. You're two for two so far? Do it really good with this trade?
Speaker 2: Deadline so far, but also there might have been opportunities for the metsic get one better prospect and maybe when that when push came to shove David Stearns just like I think we actually might need some quantity over maybe the high end quality when this quality is quality isn't even that bad. Aiden Smith is just a toolsy outfielder. He was the other part of the Randy Rose range trade along with Brodie Hopkins to the Rays. He run fast, hit hard, swing miss.
Speaker 1: Yes, he actually his whiff so far this year I don't think has been okay at high A was a little bit worse. But he's a super freak athlete. Same thing, looking for that elite tool again. I think we now know exactly what the Mets are doing this trade deadline. You've got one tool, how can we develop the rest? Aiden Smith is the freak athlete center fielder. Hope that he eventually becomes Tyrone Taylor. Yeah, and I think that's that's a fine third piece to look at if you were doing this. I also think I think they parlt is gonna be good again.
Speaker 3: Probably is, I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean I wish the best for him, go be great with the Rays. Whatever, Yeah, go join the playoff staff where they need some innings right now. They have to figure out how they're gonna weather the storm without mclinahan, figure out how they can get Griffin Jackson, eencymore to the playoff rotation and Rasmus in like this is this was a great matchup for these two teams. It felt like this was a good option. It felt like there was a pretty robust Freddy Pearl to market. At least a bunch of teams were interested. Now, ye, now, considering what we heard about the White Sox return Walkow and.
Speaker 3: Who's the other guy it was in Boston Smith?
Speaker 1: Is that Boston Smith? Would you have preferred that? Or do you prefer this one?
Speaker 3: I think I prefer this one right Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean again, I think this guy Petray is like just big helium, and we have someone moving in the right direction who looks like they can be major league caliber at something that might be a position of need next year.
Speaker 1: I do also wonder if, like for the Mets, getting all these guys who feel like they could eventually just be major league players, if that's something that they're considering more as a front office because they know that they're gonna be able to spend to go fill in like the big boppers.
Speaker 3: I know that didn't work this offseason. We don't need to talk about that.
Speaker 1: But the idea is like, if we need, if we need big players, we'll go and spend the money on them. Where we can actually make a lot of that money back is by getting a bunch of major leaguers who are gonna be free on the back end of the roster.
Speaker 3: And this is what these guys feel like.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this was the problem with this team going into this year, where it's like, oh, let's fill up with the whorehe Placos of the world to get out of that type of contract. We've been begging the Mets to stop signing. I mean two three year deals are fined usually always in vacuum. Besides, when it's a player who hits worse than the.
Speaker 3: Pictures when they used to be able to hit the picture with one arm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think I don't know this is it's just a funny conundrum. I think the world right now is jumping l Well, Mets, look Hellelo they got for Freddie Peralta, but in a situation where he was here as a rental, no matter what you made the trade for him this offseason on one guy in Jet Williams, who's gone straight down in value since he left your organization, and Brandon Sprote, who I still think the world's a bit divisive on. I still am a fan. But there's a world in five years from now that Petray and Garrett Gilhill are more valuable than Sprote and Jet Williams.
Speaker 3: I actually I could talk, I could back myself into it.
Speaker 1: I have more faith in Jet, but I know that he's struggled mightily this year.
Speaker 3: It just hasn't looked particularly good. But I do.
Speaker 1: I still got the faith in Jet, especially in that org. I like the idea of gil Hill and Sprote being similar ish value players at some point in their careers, even getting to those spots in completely different directions, with Sproke being like I'm gonna I'm gonna throw bad shape fastballs right at you, but with nasty breakers and gil Hill just being an edgelord being an edge lord similar edge lord's on this team. We also are expecting to hear a Wasascar Browser Bond trade seemingly any moment now, because he was on Hug Watch. Given handshakes to everybody in the bullpen. Seems like he's on his way out. I'm expecting more and more Mets news to come out, but you guys will probably not hear from us again because I can't imagine that there's a big enough player moved by the New York Mets that needs a video to drop instantly until Monday morning. If anything else happens from the time that this video drops Freddy perulta Trade two tomorrow morning, it'll be covered in tomorrow morning's episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna come back on tonight and give something long. We're going talk about the Marlin series and then talk about everything else that happens. Also, there can be a lot more than happens on Monday, so probably do something else Monday night for you guys.
Speaker 3: Tuesday morning, Yeah, we're we're gonna figure something out.
Speaker 1: There's gonna be a lot of content coming at you guys, so make sure you are subscribe to mets uff over here.
Speaker 3: On YouTube so you don't miss out on that.
Speaker 1: And if you're listening to us Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google drops a rating, drops a review, download and subscribe. You can follow James on social media at jam Shiano and I'm Draftneckmark. We'll catch you guys on the next one.
Speaker 3: Beside guys, let's go Matt's good return.
Speaker 4: There is one place to be on trade deadline day watching Foul Territory, of course.
Speaker 1: A J.
Speaker 4: Perdinski, Aeric Kratz, and Scott Braun will be live all afternoon speaking with insiders, reading tea leaves and reacting to unfolding deadline drama. Join us on the FT YouTube channel at one pm ET and stay locked in through the six pm deadline next Monday. Foul Territory Network, It's baseball the way it should be covered